NATION

PASSWORD

Aftermath (OOC|Dead)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:36 pm

Mizrad wrote:
Anowa wrote:Since they're animals, they require rest, food, and water like people. Same 'speed' as walking, but without the blisters and breaking shoes.

They won't be moving as fast as cars, but a horse can certainly cover more ground than a human on a daily basis especially with gear. Good luck to anybody trying to ruck more than about twenty miles in a day. A horse would be able to do that with relative ease despite the need for the same resources.

Caravans could easily rest, but mainly use feet or a certain BoB (Beast of Burden), and also, I didn't know horses could live and breathe in the West Coast. All that sand and heat there, and y'know, radiation and its effects/affects on the environment.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:
"Hypercapital's greatest wish would be for others to stop thinking of them (Hypercapital) as too "edgy" and for said other persons to get to truly know and appreciate the depth of Hypercapital's lore."

"Peace is a lie." ~ Sith Code (excerpt)

Classical Liberal (ClaLib), Proud stan of Kim Jong Un's sis, Kanye West 2024, Vermin Supreme (whenever)

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:07 pm

too many variables; too lazy to calculate; rather take the disadvantage.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:too many variables; too lazy to calculate; rather take the disadvantage.

kthx
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:
"Hypercapital's greatest wish would be for others to stop thinking of them (Hypercapital) as too "edgy" and for said other persons to get to truly know and appreciate the depth of Hypercapital's lore."

Classical Liberal (ClaLib), Proud stan of Kim Jong Un's sis, Kanye West 2024, Vermin Supreme (whenever)

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:44 pm

Hypercapital wrote:
Mizrad wrote:
They won't be moving as fast as cars, but a horse can certainly cover more ground than a human on a daily basis especially with gear. Good luck to anybody trying to ruck more than about twenty miles in a day. A horse would be able to do that with relative ease despite the need for the same resources.

Caravans could easily rest, but mainly use feet or a certain BoB (Beast of Burden), and also, I didn't know horses could live and breathe in the West Coast. All that sand and heat there, and y'know, radiation and its effects/affects on the environment.

If horses couldn't, men certain as hell couldn't or wouldn't.

It's not as if the Arabian Peninsula hasn't been using them for thousands of years or anything.

EDIT: OP says nothing about heat and radiation plaguing the west coast, just the SW which is arguably nowhere close to being the heart of the west coast. Horses and Cattle are huge in California, Oregon, and Washington, given that they're a massive source of nutrition. Nevermind the fact that Horses, Cattle, Sheep, and other herd animals would have an incredible time if left to their own devices in the current PNW given the massive reduction in predators. no doubt, wolves would start to come back, but they'd be relegated to the same state as most Black Bears are, running from the first sign of humans, meese, or other large herbivores. I'd be more worried about whatever mutants make their way westward from worse off areas.
Last edited by Kassaran on Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:02 pm

Kassaran wrote:
Hypercapital wrote:

It's not as if the Arabian Peninsula hasn't been using them for thousands of years or anything.

EDIT: OP says nothing about heat and radiation plaguing the west coast, just the SW which is arguably nowhere close to being the heart of the west coast. Horses and Cattle are huge in California, Oregon, and Washington, given that they're a massive source of nutrition. Nevermind the fact that Horses, Cattle, Sheep, and other herd animals would have an incredible time if left to their own devices in the current PNW given the massive reduction in predators. no doubt, wolves would start to come back, but they'd be relegated to the same state as most Black Bears are, running from the first sign of humans, meese, or other large herbivores. I'd be more worried about whatever mutants make their way westward from worse off areas.

Thanks. And he didn't, but I know that Nevada and the region that it's in is mostly Desert, and also radiation would extend everywhere. I didn't just mean the West Coast, I meant the West Coast in the context of horses.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Hypercapital wrote:
Kassaran wrote:

Thanks. And he didn't, but I know that Nevada and the region that it's in is mostly Desert, and also radiation would extend everywhere. I didn't just mean the West Coast, I meant the West Coast in the context of horses.

Camels come to mind, when I think Mideast or Desert areas.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

Mizrad
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:05 pm

Kassaran wrote:
Mizrad wrote:

Going at about 3 miles per hour for something like eight hours for 24 miles in a day Is relatively easy when you're used to it. So long as it's roughly less than a quarter your own bodyweight, it's fine and normal for a human. The problem is that we don't have very fit people any more who are used to that task.

This might be something to look at though.

I'd say this could be an acceptable means of implementing fast horse travel. It'd require staging the rest stations, getting the required travel permits, and securing some basic security, but otherwise, we could probably implement stagecoaches with enough resources. It's what I was planning on doing as a trading company, given that it'd be infinitely more useful to me to be able to freely and quickly travel through territories. Probably pay tribute to those in charge with making the station a tariff/toll-free shop and outlet for paper-goods, but stamp's will cost you if you're sending a message.

To clarify a few things, yes, a human certainly could do that. I'm just saying a horse would be faster. Maybe not by that much, but at least by a few more miles in a day without as much fatigue on the humans.

That and rucking kinda sucks.
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" -George Patton
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Nosy little fucker aren't you?

Formerland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Formerland » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:13 pm

Are Camels a thing now? It’s possible some could have escaped and propagated , there’s also more of a reason to breed them than in the colonial days.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Anowa » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:16 pm

Formerland wrote:Are Camels a thing now? It’s possible some could have escaped and propagated , there’s also more of a reason to breed them than in the colonial days.

Within reason.

Keep aware that if you're going to roll down a Zoo breakout line of thinking, wonder where exactly the Tiger exhibits in the US are.
Awards:
Tie Winner: Most Involved in P2TM, 2016
Winner: Best Crime RP, 2016

An Intro to Anowa

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:23 pm

Anowa wrote:
Formerland wrote:Are Camels a thing now? It’s possible some could have escaped and propagated , there’s also more of a reason to breed them than in the colonial days.

Within reason.

Keep aware that if you're going to roll down a Zoo breakout line of thinking, wonder where exactly the Tiger exhibits in the US are.

Probably wherever millionaire redneck hillbillies with their two husbands managed to go when it all came falling apart.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:52 pm

Kassaran wrote:
Anowa wrote:Within reason.

Probably wherever millionaire redneck hillbillies with their two husbands managed to go when it all came falling apart.

Cincinnati, Memphis, Bronx, Omaha, Philadelphia, Oklahoma City, and Denver to name a few.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:15 pm

Anowa wrote:
Kassaran wrote:Probably wherever millionaire redneck hillbillies with their two husbands managed to go when it all came falling apart.

Cincinnati, Memphis, Bronx, Omaha, Philadelphia, Oklahoma City, and Denver to name a few.

That's kinda OP, ngl. I wanna keep it simple.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:23 pm

Hypercapital wrote:
Anowa wrote:Cincinnati, Memphis, Bronx, Omaha, Philadelphia, Oklahoma City, and Denver to name a few.

This is simple.

If a Camel can break out of a zoo, most assuredly apex predators can as well. Bactrian camels have exhibits in Denver, Detroit, Boston (The same zoo includes a big cat exhibit), and Apple Valley Minnesota. Again, just a sample.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Formerland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Formerland » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:32 pm

Anowa wrote:
Hypercapital wrote:

This is simple.

If a Camel can break out of a zoo, most assuredly apex predators can as well. Bactrian camels have exhibits in Denver, Detroit, Boston (The same zoo includes a big cat exhibit), and Apple Valley Minnesota. Again, just a sample.

I was thinking more of a farm-break. unlike a lot of big predators some animals ( camels and ostriches namely) are quite at home in north america and are farmed fairly often. For example say, elephants and hippos would have a very hard time surviving even if they escaped, as with lions and tigers ( excluding mountain lions of course which arent true lions). But yeah i was thinking more escaping from farmers or even being kept by farmers and bred more often. while ostriches would rapidly dwindle in value for farming and may be slaughtered in large numbers, camels have a bit more practical value.
Last edited by Formerland on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:50 pm

Formerland wrote:
Anowa wrote:This is simple.

I was thinking more of a farm-break. unlike a lot of big predators some animals ( camels and ostriches namely) are quite at home in north america and are farmed fairly often. For example say, elephants and hippos would have a very hard time surviving even if they escaped, as with lions and tigers ( excluding mountain lions of course which arent true lions). But yeah i was thinking more escaping from farmers or even being kept by farmers and bred more often. while ostriches would rapidly dwindle in value for farming and may be slaughtered in large numbers, camels have a bit more practical value.

I'd like to note that Jaguar historically occupied the Mexican-American border, and Tigers historicaly are capable of occupying lands incredibly similar to the US Midwest, Rockies, and Pacific Northwest, with a subspecies notable for having the prefix of Siberian. Snow Leopard pops in the US wouldn't be able to out muscle Pumas, though Jaguars would likely stray not much further than Texas. Lynx would likely be stuck in the Northern states. Asian Elephants also have a notable overlap of territory with tigers, with Tennessee having a quite renown Elephant Sanctuary (granted this includes some human intervention). Hippos would be pretty fucked outside of the Gulf coast where it's pretty swampy.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Formerland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Formerland » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:48 pm

Anowa wrote:
Formerland wrote:I was thinking more of a farm-break. unlike a lot of big predators some animals ( camels and ostriches namely) are quite at home in north america and are farmed fairly often. For example say, elephants and hippos would have a very hard time surviving even if they escaped, as with lions and tigers ( excluding mountain lions of course which arent true lions). But yeah i was thinking more escaping from farmers or even being kept by farmers and bred more often. while ostriches would rapidly dwindle in value for farming and may be slaughtered in large numbers, camels have a bit more practical value.

I'd like to note that Jaguar historically occupied the Mexican-American border, and Tigers historicaly are capable of occupying lands incredibly similar to the US Midwest, Rockies, and Pacific Northwest, with a subspecies notable for having the prefix of Siberian. Snow Leopard pops in the US wouldn't be able to out muscle Pumas, though Jaguars would likely stray not much further than Texas. Lynx would likely be stuck in the Northern states. Asian Elephants also have a notable overlap of territory with tigers, with Tennessee having a quite renown Elephant Sanctuary (granted this includes some human intervention). Hippos would be pretty fucked outside of the Gulf coast where it's pretty swampy.

Another factor influencing the distribution of large predators is that humans actively want them dead and will often go out of their way to kill them when possible so that their livestock and wild game is more secure. Hippos, perhaps due to territoriality in response to humans may unfortunately have similar fates. Elephants IDK. I was not aware there were parts of North America they could survive well in. Lynx are small predators and already present in many areas, so they may be more ignored than say an encroaching tiger. Then again many humans are not prepared to do that. Do most zoos have breeding pops of these species?

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:00 am

Formerland wrote:
Anowa wrote:I'd like to note that Jaguar historically occupied the Mexican-American border, and Tigers historicaly are capable of occupying lands incredibly similar to the US Midwest, Rockies, and Pacific Northwest, with a subspecies notable for having the prefix of Siberian. Snow Leopard pops in the US wouldn't be able to out muscle Pumas, though Jaguars would likely stray not much further than Texas. Lynx would likely be stuck in the Northern states. Asian Elephants also have a notable overlap of territory with tigers, with Tennessee having a quite renown Elephant Sanctuary (granted this includes some human intervention). Hippos would be pretty fucked outside of the Gulf coast where it's pretty swampy.

Another factor influencing the distribution of large predators is that humans actively want them dead and will often go out of their way to kill them when possible so that their livestock and wild game is more secure. Hippos, perhaps due to territoriality in response to humans may unfortunately have similar fates. Elephants IDK. I was not aware there were parts of North America they could survive well in. Lynx are small predators and already present in many areas, so they may be more ignored than say an encroaching tiger. Then again many humans are not prepared to do that. Do most zoos have breeding pops of these species?

Most zoos, no. Enough of them, yes.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:02 am

I feel like this zoo thing'll break the game/rp. Maybe just birds, and expanding on Falconeers.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:09 am

Hypercapital wrote:I feel like this zoo thing'll break the game/rp. Maybe just birds, and expanding on Falconeers.

Animals breaking out of Zoos is gonna break the RP... And not whatever Vacif happened to uncover.

Yeah, okay.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:28 am

It makes it overpowered if countries add tigers and all types of feral animals to their armedforces and started siccing them onto their enemies.

Yes, birds can also be used for that purpose aswell, but in my case/context, I'd use it for communications/diplomacy and aerial supremacy. I know one country (the Aerial Museum dudes) focus on Air Supremacy, and they're kinda limited, but it's still unbalanced.
Last edited by HypErcApitAl on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:32 am

Hypercapital wrote:It makes it overpowered if countries add tigers and all types of feral animals to their armedforces and started siccing them onto their enemies.

Yes, birds can also be used for that purpose aswell, but in my case/context, I'd use it for communications/diplomacy and aerial supremacy. I know one country (the Aerial Museum dudes) focus on Air Supremacy, and they're kinda limited, but it's still unbalanced.

I hope you're not implying that you can reliably domesticate self admittedly feral animals.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:36 am

Anowa wrote:
Hypercapital wrote:It makes it overpowered if countries add tigers and all types of feral animals to their armedforces and started siccing them onto their enemies.

I hope you're not implying that you can reliably domesticate self admittedly feral animals.

Obviously not lynxes, or lions, or tigers, and I wouldn't have a need/desire to. We might have to raise this question up once tech/warfare develops a bit more, there's so many technological gaps.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:36 am

Hypercapital wrote:
Anowa wrote:I hope you're not implying that you can reliably domesticate self admittedly feral animals.

Obviously not lynxes, or lions, or tigers, and I wouldn't have a need/desire to. We might have to raise this question up once tech/warfare develops a bit more, there's so many technological gaps.

Alright, now you've lost me.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Formerland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Formerland » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:10 am

I don't think you need a zoo for scout falcons or messenger pigeons or anything, nor do I think those things are game breaking. Also there's a reason people very rarely captured and released feral animals during war ( because it's a bad idea and costs a lot more than say, just getting better weapons and armor) . Falconers have existed irl for ages so Idk how that could be even considered game breaking.

In the words of me right now; " A falcon is a poor mans recon balloon, used by rich people".

Mizrad
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:50 am

Going forward, how often will time skips be occurring?
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" -George Patton
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Nosy little fucker aren't you?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse