NATION

PASSWORD

1906: Alternative Divergence [AH][OOC-CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 am

Short IC post up - I'm sorry it's so bare-bones, but other responsibilities are pressing down on me and I simply can't put together a proper one right now.

It's a very brief foray into the national character of Scandinavia. Nationalism comes in many forms - some people take pride in their glorious history, some in their culture or myths, yet others in the prosperity their nation provides them.

Sure, Scandinavia has all that too, and there are some strongly-opinionated nationalists marching about. But when the quiet, content moderates, the people who would never describe themselves as nationalists, when they feel pride in their nation this is one of the two key things that they feel pride for -- its scientific achievements and technological sophistication.
Last edited by Plzen on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:47 pm

Sarderia wrote:Full Nation Name : United States of East Africa

• Your population numbers wouldn't work. From what sources I could find on the internet, Mozambique had a population of 4.42 million by 1900, Tasmania of 7 million by 1891, and Kenya 1.7 million by 1900. I am not sure about the population of the specific part of India that you are claiming, but it would certainly not be enough to explain the rest. Now, we are not inherently adverse to modified population numbers, as proven by some one of the apps that were accepted, but any changes need to be realistic and properly motivated. I do not think that any possible explanation that you could come up with could come any close to justifying such a harrowing difference in population. The USEA would be nearly as large as the United States of the same era, which is completely unfeasible.
  • The ethnic composition also wouldn't work. Regardless of your actual population, since most of the inland territory would have been only accessible to you at some point during the last century, I do believe that having an European majority would be impossible. You are also not mentioning the half-European half-native population that would likely be sizeable, and qualifying the Indian population of your colony to other is a bit confusing. I am more than alright with there being a higher percentage of European settlers than in real life, but I don't think that they would have the majority.
  • I would like a bit of an explanation in regards to how your nation ended with this specific organization for its government. There is no United States in this world, so no way to take inspiration from there.
  • If the inland territory is primitive, then your development isn't just modern - the description of the development is good, but mention the primitive areas in the Development field too.
  • At its core the army description is acceptable, but it is impacted by the population issue too - the idea that the inland territory is underpopulated and that the coastal area has nearly 70 million people is even more unrealistic than it being spread out.
  • I would also like the concept of the USEA having colonies to be get a very good explanation, because at this point it seems unlikely. The map is blank for the time being, but we would ICly still have other European nations as colonial powers, and one of the main divergences of this world is the technological parity with the Europeans of Asian nations. So a former British colony in East Africa developing so much as to gain a naval force that would be able to challenge the European and Asian colonial powers seems unlikely to me.
Last edited by Tracian Empire on Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:47 pm

I have had a bit of a delay, but other than government explanation, and religion the application is pretty much finished.
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

The Imperial Warglorian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:08 am

I'm trying to colour in a map detailing what I desire the territory of my British Empire to be, and gotta say I'm SO pissed that The Iron Order of Adamia is coloured as dark red right now.
Call me Warg or Antic
Yeah, u do that and I’m gonna have to force u to pull a France, and then a Vichy-Wargloria, after one of his allies proposed pulling an Italy

PROUD MEMBER OF THE FEDERATION OF ALLIES!

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:13 am

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:I'm trying to colour in a map detailing what I desire the territory of my British Empire to be, and gotta say I'm SO pissed that The Iron Order of Adamia is coloured as dark red right now.

BTW, the map in the first page isn't 100% fully updated with regards to South America. I have updated my claims (see spoiler below). Just posting it in case you want a British colony somewhere in South America and you are not sure where it should be. :)

Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:24 am

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:I'm trying to colour in a map detailing what I desire the territory of my British Empire to be, and gotta say I'm SO pissed that The Iron Order of Adamia is coloured as dark red right now.

Do make sure to admire the interesting colours of the Scottish North Sea islands on the map...

Powerbroker

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:48 am

Plzen wrote:

Do make sure to admire the interesting colours of the Scottish North Sea islands on the map...

Son of a Protestant Whore
That's a Hellsing Abridged reference, please don't get triggered
Call me Warg or Antic
Yeah, u do that and I’m gonna have to force u to pull a France, and then a Vichy-Wargloria, after one of his allies proposed pulling an Italy

Powerbroker

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:16 am

Please don't shut me down yet, I'm willing to give explanations concerning the territories I've picked
Reservation

Nation Name: The United Kingdom of Great Britain, Ireland, Normandy and Brittany/Das Vereinigte Königreich von Großbritannien, Irland, Normandie und Bretagne
Territory: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... Empire.png
#AltDiv (do not delete this, it's for keeping track of the apps)
*Note: Reservations will last for 48 hours. The OP board reserves the right to be subjective in regards to accepting and removing reservations.
Last edited by The Imperial Warglorian Empire on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Warg or Antic

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:10 am

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:Please don't shut me down yet, I'm willing to give explanations concerning the territories I've picked
Reservation

Nation Name: The United Kingdom of Great Britain, Ireland, Normandy and Brittany/Das Vereinigte Königreich von Großbritannien, Irland, Normandie und Bretagne
*Note: Reservations will last for 48 hours. The OP board reserves the right to be subjective in regards to accepting and removing reservations.

Well, the map has sadly not been updated - there is a reservation in place for those colonies in East Africa, that also contains the southwestern edge of Australia.

At the same time, I have to ask you about the importance of Normandy and Britannia for the concept - seeing as we are also trying to get a French player, Britain owning those might make France a less attractive option for prospective players, and as such, we generally do not allow it.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Powerbroker

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:25 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:Please don't shut me down yet, I'm willing to give explanations concerning the territories I've picked
Reservation

Well, the map has sadly not been updated - there is a reservation in place for those colonies in East Africa, that also contains the southwestern edge of Australia.

At the same time, I have to ask you about the importance of Normandy and Britannia for the concept - seeing as we are also trying to get a French player, Britain owning those might make France a less attractive option for prospective players, and as such, we generally do not allow it.

Well the idea for Normandy and Brittany is that, after William the Conquerer fails to conquer, Godwin UNO reverses and invades the two in revenge. But in the Long term? Not really important no, I can drop them.

And rip for the East Africa part then: I’ll have to compensate with other stuff.

Exactly how much of that territory I chose has been taken?
Last edited by The Imperial Warglorian Empire on Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Warg or Antic

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:29 am

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:Well the idea for Normandy and Brittany is that, after William the Conquerer fails to conquer, Godwin UNO reverses and invades the two in revenge. But in the Long term? Not really important no, I can drop them.

And rip for the East Africa part then: I’ll have to compensate with other stuff.

If your intent is towards a Germanic Britain, I think it's probably best to just forget the Norman Invasion entirely - it didn't happen, or was a much smaller event than it was IRL, something like that. Play up the Anglo-Saxon migrations, the Danelaw, the North Sea Empire, and the Central European royal marriages much more.
Last edited by Plzen on Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:34 am

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Well, the map has sadly not been updated - there is a reservation in place for those colonies in East Africa, that also contains the southwestern edge of Australia.

Well the idea for Normandy and Brittany is that, after William the Conquerer fails to conquer, Godwin UNO reverses and invades the two in revenge. But in the Long term? Not really important no, I can drop them.

All the East African territory that you've claimed, and literally the two provinces that form the southwestern edge of Australia.

And I do believe that Plzen is right. Having a royal house Germanize a country in under two centuries seems like an incredibly difficult to explain, so you would be much better off going with no Norman invasion and an Anglo-Saxon Britain.

Powerbroker

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:39 am

Plzen wrote:
The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:Well the idea for Normandy and Brittany is that, after William the Conquerer fails to conquer, Godwin UNO reverses and invades the two in revenge. But in the Long term? Not really important no, I can drop them.

If your intent is towards a Germanic Britain, I think it's probably best to just forget the Norman Invasion entirely - it didn't happen, or was a much smaller event than it was IRL, something like that. Play up the Anglo-Saxon migrations, the Danelaw, the North Sea Empire, and the Central European royal marriages much more.

Yeah, I originally intended to change that anyways. I initially just wanted the Norman Invasion to fail, but having it never happen is also interesting.
Call me Warg or Antic

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:42 am

Plzen wrote:If your intent is towards a Germanic Britain, I think it's probably best to just forget the Norman Invasion entirely - it didn't happen, or was a much smaller event than it was IRL, something like that. Play up the Anglo-Saxon migrations, the Danelaw, the North Sea Empire, and the Central European royal marriages much more.

Yeah, I originally intended to change that anyways. I initially just wanted the Norman Invasion to fail, but having it never happen is also interesting.

Well, it never happening and it failing would in the end have the same effect. But yeah, seeing a continued Anglo-Saxon Britain would be interesting.

I'm not sure how much that would affect the two former British colonies in America, Columbia and the Adamite Order, but this roleplay does have a history of accepting paradoxes for the sake of interesting concepts

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:13 am

It aint, dark red... It's burgundy bruh.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:15 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Reservation

Don't forget Ireland, their independent.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Powerbroker

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:18 am

Kazarogkai wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Well, the map has sadly not been updated - there is a reservation in place for those colonies in East Africa, that also contains the southwestern edge of Australia.

What? When the hell did that happen?
Call me Warg or Antic

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:18 am

Kazarogkai wrote:

No they're not, that reservation expired.

Powerbroker

Kazarogkai wrote:

It aint, dark red... It's burgundy bruh.

Well the colours are so similar you can barely differentiate them
Call me Warg or Antic

Powerbroker

Tracian Empire wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:

No they're not, that reservation expired.

Oh thank God
Call me Warg or Antic

Powerbroker

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:21 am

For the sake of having a modern English language, I think I’m gonna add a piece of history that the whole UNO reverse Godwin conquers Normandy and Brittany thing does happen, and England controls it for about 100-200 years: Long enough for a cultural exchange so that the modern English language is formed.

After that they likely get pushed out by a combination of rebellion and the Kingdom of France invading.
Last edited by The Imperial Warglorian Empire on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Warg or Antic

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:33 am

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:For the sake of having a modern English language, I think I’m gonna add a piece of history that the whole UNO reverse Godwin conquers Normandy and Brittany thing does happen, and England controls it for about 100-200 years: Long enough for a cultural exchange so that the modern English language is formed.

After that they likely get pushed out by a combination of rebellion and the Kingdom of France invading.

To be fair the modern english language would probably be pretty similar you have to remember despite something like 70% of English being of foreign origin, something like 90% of the most commonly used English words are of Germanic and by extension old English origin. Hence their would be minimal change for the bulk of people. Beef and tallow(french orgin) would simply be cattle meat and cattle fat, and pork and lard(also french) would turn into pig Meat and pig fat and some other mild miscellaneous changes but that is it. If your country is still Catholic or atleast Catholic Lite(Reformed) I can make it work app wise. The main rational for the independence struggle on my part was a mix of Government Incompetence and Religious Differences, plus most of my population isn't even of English origin most typically tended to come from poorer peripheral regions like Wales and Scotland.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:33 am

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:-snip-

The obvious question then becomes how England has a language that has been heavily influenced by French but a culture that isn’t.

Novacom
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Novacom » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:27 pm

As a heads up the small slither of West Africa in the middle of the Maghreb nation is also taken, but you can always go for the Islands, as for Normandy, it'll be unlikely you can get those as that could be part of a France, you could always take more colonies elsewhere however.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:35 pm

Yes, I'm sorry for all these changes, but due to the very pale color you used in your map, we missed some things.

Like I told you initially, Normandy and Brittany would be a no. The Gambia I think, the slither in West Africa, was already given to Maghreb but the map wasn't updated. East Africa is presently taken by a claim, but you could wait for that claim to expire and perhaps you'd have a chance to get that, and the same claim that has East Africa has those two provinces in Australia that I've mentioned.

At the same time, the different circumstances in the Mediterranean would make it close to impossible for Britain to have Gibraltar and the Balearic Islands - the Mediterranean would be mostly beyond the power of projection of the Royal Navy.

The rest of the claims seem to be alright, I'll add them to the map, and if there any other changes you would like to propose, just say so!
Last edited by Tracian Empire on Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse