NATION

PASSWORD

AKA [OOC | Superhero | Closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Skyggeheim
Envoy

Founded: Apr 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyggeheim » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:43 am

What's our IC start date?

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 am

Skyggeheim wrote:What's our IC start date?

I'm not set on any date yet, but I think going off whatever OOC day we start will be simplest.
Last edited by The Cyberiad Council on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:13 am

FYI still working on my application, but it looks like I just got coronavirus so I'm taking it easy.

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:28 am

The Cyberiad Council wrote:
Union Princes wrote:Sorry for not having a finished app so soon. Im still brainstorming the bio.

That's alright, there's no rush, but just looking at what you have so far, it kind of seems redundant to some of the other applications. Just a heads up.

In what ways is it redundant?
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Skyggeheim
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyggeheim » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:12 am

Khasinkonia wrote:FYI still working on my application, but it looks like I just got coronavirus so I'm taking it easy.

Stay healthy, hoping for the best for you.

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2018

Postby Okayanos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:21 am

Union Princes wrote:
The Cyberiad Council wrote:
That's alright, there's no rush, but just looking at what you have so far, it kind of seems redundant to some of the other applications. Just a heads up.

Nearly everything she can do is covered by the other accepted characters. Enhanced Durability is something that everyone except Hades already possesses, and superhuman endurance is... kind of a nothing power, same for Peak Human Strength. There’s very little than Tachanka could do that another of the Argonauts couldn’t also do.

Skyggeheim
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyggeheim » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:25 am

Okayanos wrote:
Union Princes wrote:

Nearly everything she can do is covered by the other accepted characters. Enhanced Durability is something that everyone except Hades already possesses, and superhuman endurance is... kind of a nothing power, same for Peak Human Strength. There’s very little than Tachanka could do that another of the Argonauts couldn’t also do.

And I hate to be the Trope Police here, but...

We already have the "Strong Russian Woman" trope covered by another character. Not saying that there can't be two, but it might be better if either myself or you reskin their character so they don't get drowned out in the noise.

If only for diversity's sake.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:27 pm

now this is challenging. I need to think on what else I could do.

Skyggeheim
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyggeheim » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Union Princes wrote:now this is challenging. I need to think on what else I could do.

Don't fret. I had another idea that I wanted to try out anyways. You can keep your character.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:23 pm

Skyggeheim wrote:
Union Princes wrote:now this is challenging. I need to think on what else I could do.

Don't fret. I had another idea that I wanted to try out anyways. You can keep your character.

Are you sure? You did say the powers werent up to stuff in comparison.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Union Princes wrote:
Skyggeheim wrote:Don't fret. I had another idea that I wanted to try out anyways. You can keep your character.

You do you. I'm okay with it.

Skyggeheim
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyggeheim » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Union Princes wrote:
Skyggeheim wrote:Don't fret. I had another idea that I wanted to try out anyways. You can keep your character.

If you're looking to up your character's oomph factor, I would boost their superhuman strength a tad. Peak human is pretty puny compared to some of the weights some other characters can huck around.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:46 pm

Skyggeheim wrote:
Union Princes wrote:

If you're looking to up your character's oomph factor, I would boost their superhuman strength a tad. Peak human is pretty puny compared to some of the weights some other characters can huck around.

Hey, don't worry about how powerful your character is. Mine has Human levels of strength, and is perhaps the weakest in the group. Don't feel that your character's powers make them stand out as your character has other factors that make them who they are.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Yes, I know about that, Harbertia. I'm just wondering what kind of character I wanna play.
Last edited by Union Princes on Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:26 pm

Hmmm, there's already a French and a Pole. My Ukrainian is probably too similar to our Russian character culturally

Futrellia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 29, 2013

Postby Futrellia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:27 pm

Argus Metahuman File

Name: Richard Reyne
Alias: Knight Owl

Powers:
Genius-Level Intellect
Whilst growing up in the world of corporations and the highest class of society, certain requirements were expected of young Richard. Being the brightest and smartest of all the other families was certainly number one on that list. Attending the best schools, learning from the best tutors and an entire arsenal of the world's greatest educational learning tools granted him many benefits that excelled his IQ to 176. Because of this, Richard has provided himself with the best tools and equipment for his new role as a Guardian of Justice, including dabbling in advanced technologies that have put him and his company at the forefront of the Cyber Security and Military Technology industries.

Elite Combat Training
Utilizing his connections in the military sector, Richard has had the opportunity to train with elite military operators from the U.S. Army Rangers, the U.S. Navy SEALS, the British Special Air Service, and the Russian Spetznaz. He has received top hand-to-hand and advanced firearm proficiency training.

Martial Arts
To compliment his combat training, Richard has become proficient in Krav Maga, Aikido, Ninjitsu, and Wing Chun.

Drawbacks & Limitations:
Despite the peak-human conditioning, military training, the martial arts, and intelligence and all the money he could ever need, he is only human, and like any human, he can die much easier than the rest.

Weaknesses:
As Knight Owl is human, he is susceptible to injury just like any normal human being. Broken bones, deep gashes, bullet wounds, all being examples for just what Richard has received.

Equipment and weapons:
JumpJets: Equipped inside his boots are tiny microthrusters that give Knight Owl the ability to jump between 130 feet, and can glide for miles using the expandable wings built under his arms. The JumpJets can also be used to accelerate Knight Owl as he glides, giving him the ability to fly, but the Jets last a maximum of thirty seconds in flight before they enter a venting stage that takes a minute or more depending on the energy output. At maximum propulsion, Knight Owl can fly up to 150 miles per hour.
Owlwings: The wings are attached to the underneath of his arms and can be deployed at the push of a button, and are made of the same materials as his suit.
Staff: Knight Owl wields a staff made from solidified and weighted Graphene. At both ends of it are 12 gauge shotguns barrels that can fire three rounds each of Buckshot.
Wrist-mounted Projectile launchers: On both of Knight Owl's wrists are launchers that fire high explosive, tear gas, EMP, smoke, and electrified grenades. It can also fire stun-darts to pacify enemies.
Knight Owl ST-Type Owlsuit:
Though the ST-Type Owlsuit was the conglomeration of over a dozen Salus Technologies prototypes and mainstay equipment and the first suit to pass every trial handed to it, it was the 13th version of the suit and by far the most costly. The Owlsuit is interwoven with nomex and kevlar, providing heat resistance and bullet resistance.
Heads-Up Display: On the inside of his helmet, Knight Owl has access to suit integrity, ammunition counters, night-vision, thermal imaging, radar, distance indicator, and cyber-warfare suite. The helmet has a built in virtual intelligence, named Ollie that assists Richard in decisions and other information.
Grappling gun: To assist with accidental falls or for use without the use of his thrusters, Knight Owl can use a grappling gun capable of reaching 100 yards and can pull in any direction 80 mph.
Cape: His cape was not made purposely for the fact that all the superheroes in comics used them. It is attached to be used as a bullet-proof curtain. It can be used to shield Knight Owl from bullets and can be used for camouflage in dark environments. The cape was made with flexible pole-like structures that provide enough strength to grant Knight Owl the ability to glide.
Cowl: Aside from the suit, the Cowl was the most technological advanced portion of the suit. Equipped with night vision capabilities, infrared vision and a micro radio receiver. The neck portion was reinforced with kevlar and the nasal passages of the cowl are filtered.
Talons: The three spikes adorning each arm are used for deadly hand-to-hand combat. Made from Obsidian-infused tungsten carbide, giving it a more than razor sharp edge as well as the strength and durability of tungsten carbide.

BACKGROUND

Nationality: American
Hometown: Seattle, Washington

Personality:
To outsiders, Richard can be misconstrued as outwardly hostile or unfriendly at the least. To those he doesn't know, he speaks few words and would prefer to avoid them. To the few friends he has, he's extremely loyal and warming to them. He treats them like family and will do whatever he can to help them in their endeavors. Behind closed doors, he's funny and sarcastic at times.

Bio:

Richard Anthony Reyne was born August 14, 1980 to Walter and Mary Reyne. The son of ambitious businesspeople, Richard was raised around his father's corporation, running through the halls of Salus Corporation's Seattle headquarters while his father worked. His mother worked for the same corporation as the Chief Financial Officer as well as promoting foreign contracts across the world. By the time he was 14 years old, he had learned the ins and outs of the corporation, accompanying his mother to many business trips to China, Germany, France, Brazil, and India. Weeks before his 15th birthday, he accompanied his mother on a trip to Nigeria. During this trip, he and the convoy of his mother and ten other Salus associates were intercepted en route to the Nigerian capital by Boko Haram, an Islamic extremist group. Using armored trucks and machine guns, they rounded up each American and executed them, saving Richard and his mother for last.

They would be transported to an isolated encampment nearby and subjected to evil tortures in the name of Islam. Throughout the night, the screams of his mother could be heard as a young Richard cowered in a small hut, occasionally facing severe beatings from the commander of the cell. The punishments lasted for days, giving the two just enough food and water to stay alive. The wounds that Richard's mother couldn't be fixed with first aid and she would succumb to them on the third day. In the morning of the fourth day, the Nigerian Army found the location of the encampment and within a matter of hours, Nigerian soldiers descended on the camp. The firefight lasted only minutes but felt like hours for the exhausted and scarred Richard. Richard returned a different man. With his wife gone and their son scarred, Walter Reyne drowned himself in whiskey, leaving Richard alone for days at a time. Without his father, Richard accepted that their family was forever gone. He struggled through High School, dabbling in drugs, alcohol and self-harm. At the age of 16, Richard failed a suicide attempt by overdose, saved by the Mansion's caretaker and rushed to the hospital with only minutes left to spare. When Richard turned 18, he joined the United States Marine Corps, but was discharged after multiple behavioral problems and striking another recruit. After returning home, he began taking self defense classes, bought a handgun and took handgun classes. He began going to the gym, growing stronger. As his father's health deteriorated, Richard took a larger role in the corporation, pledging that he would turn his life around for the sake of his mother, who would have wanted better. His relationship with his father would very slowly repair itself. Despite his life looking up, he carried with him a deep resentment and hatred, specifically for those that took his mother from him. He became proficient in Krav Maga and trained hard. He enrolled in Gonzaga University, majoring in Criminology with a minor in Business Administration. After a turbulent four years, he graduated with a Bachelor's Degree. At the age of 23, his father died of a heart attack. With his relationship with his father somewhat repaired, the loss of a second parent wouldn't devastate him like the first. He resolved to diving into Salus Corporation and while it was ran efficiently with a Board of Directors, he would be brought in as a voice of approval for the Board. As Salus was heavily invested in cutting edge technology with several contracts with militaries around the world, access to prototypes and other equipment was easy. For months, he experimented and built his own suit, donning the alternate name "Knight Owl".
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Fears/Phobias:
Through his most turbulent years, Richard had become fearful of nightmares, which had become frequent in his latest years. Many of them depicted reliving the horrors of Nigeria, hauntings of his mother and father coming back to him, blaming him for their deaths.
Skills:
Richard is fluent in Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, and German.
Theme:
Last edited by Futrellia on Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:51 pm

Futrellia wrote:
Argus Metahuman File

Name: Richard Reyne
Alias: Knight Owl

Accepted

Skyggeheim
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyggeheim » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:29 pm

Argus Metahuman File

Name: Alessia Kassis
Alias: Masir

Powers:
  • Flow of the Euphrates: Alessia has inherent knowledge of how to combine maximum effectiveness with minimal energy expenditure in almost every activity. She can do something extremely well, and spend very little energy doing it. This can apply to both mental and physical activities, within certain limits. This combination can make her seem much stronger, faster, and smarter than her true limits.
  • Speed of the Tigris: In combination with her latent ability to maximize her effectiveness while minimizing her energy expenditure, Alessia has a twofold power. Her adrenal glands can produce double the amount of adrenaline as a normal human, and she can overload her neurons to fire at alarming rates. This means that her fast-twitch muscles are extremely developed, above and beyond peak-human standards by several factors.
  • Heat of the Desert: Alessia's magical ability comes in the ability to manipulate heat and fire. She can create fiery weapons and projectiles, though she far prefers her rapier, and can superheat objects she touches. This also allows her to project a protective field of heat energy around herself by vibrating particles within the area around her person in order to catch them in the vibration field and melt them before they can reach her.
  • Life of the Oasis: Alessia's secondary magical ability is her latent magical connection with animals. At present, she can speak to animals through thoughts and senses. In addition, by gaining their trust, she can mentally command them and see through their senses. This is how she has come by her faithful companion, the owl Risha.
  • Soul Transference: Alessia is capable of transferring a piece of her soul into mundane objects, creating a phylactery of sorts. Only one of these phylacteries can be active at a time. If she dies within 100 miles of the phylactery, it will magically rearrange itself into a new body for her in 5 days time. This process can be disrupted by increasing the distance between where she died and the present location of her phylactery. As they get farther away, the time it takes for Alessia to regenerate is increased by exponential factors. In addition, the phylactery can be destroyed after she is killed, which would end her life permanently. With tremendous effort, she can also store pieces of others souls in phylacteries, allowing them to regenerate, though she needs at least several hours to recover from the stress of this ordeal, as would the individual whose soul she is storing.
  • Riverwalking: A note: this isn't a power, I just don't know where else to put it. A dead martial art practiced exclusively by those who were under Alessia's tutelage in her time of living in the Persian Empire, Riverwalking was designed by Alessia as a powerful tool of combat. Riverwalking relies on weapon-based combat and - just as her powers - combines maximum lethality with minimal expenditure of energy. Riverwalking is based around extremely relaxed, but defensive, posture. Its core tenets enable the user to circle and maneuver around an opponents attack as they tire themselves out, then making one or two final blows to end the fight. It emphasizes counter-strikes, evasion/agility, feints, and generally deceptive tactics in order to achieve victory.

Drawbacks & Limitations:
  • Durability: Though she is functionally immortal, and has some protective magic, she is vulnerable to everything that could potentially kill a human. Bullets, blades, and broken bones can and will kill her.
  • Strength: She is not functionally as strong as other metas, and so in a contest of pure muscular strength, she does not win.

Weaknesses:
  • Anything a human can be killed by, Alessia can technically be killed by.

Equipment and weapons:
  • Shamsi, the Sun Blade: A magically enhanced blade designed to withstand extreme heat, Alessia can superheat the blade of the weapon to enable it to deal increased damage and possess more cutting potential. It is also supremely light, allowing Alessia to wield it with lethal speed.
  • Armor: Pictured above. It is nothing special, other than being reinforced. It won't stop anything above a 7.62 bullet, and even then only in limited quantities.
  • Risha: Also pictured above. A mundane owl, other than Alessia has also stored his soul in a phylactery. She used him as recon and overwatch, as she can perceive the world through his senses.

BACKGROUND

Nationality: Persian
Hometown: Somewhere in the Persian Empire.

Personality: Considering she is still recovering her fractured psyche, Alessia's personality is a bit...odd. She is proud, sometimes to a fault, but often questions herself internally about her ability to perform certain tasks. Guarded but polite to those she is meeting for the first time, she may come off as quiet to the casual observer. However, getting to know Alessia will reveal a deeply curious and jubilant personality. She is often wide-eyed and observant, taking in every detail of this vastly different world that she lives in. As a matter of fact, she is incredibly observant. In addition, she is fiercely protective of her friends and others she perceives as allies. She will defend them viciously. This extends to nature and the natural world as well. A tree-hugger to a fault, she takes any offense or injury to the natural world as an injury to herself.

Bio: Alessia was born in a time when the world was very different. In fact, she was born during the highest days of the Persian Empire, in the era of Cyrus the Great. This places her date of birth somewhere around 530 B.C.E. A noble by birthright, she enjoyed all the comforts and amenities afforded to members of high-society in the ancient Persian Empire. This, naturally, included access to some forms of magic and other incredible rarities not generally afforded to the common folk. By the time she was nine, she was exposed to all sorts of magical individuals who came to show their prowess and display a spectacle for Cyrus and his court. When she was sixteen, one of these spellcasters, a man who only wanted to be known as "Nahr" claimed he had the power to combine the forces that the Persian Empire depended upon - the essences of the Tigris and Euphrates River, the heat of the desert, and the boon of life in an oasis - with a living person. Naturally, Cyrus agreed. He frantically searched for volunteers among his court, until he came upon Alessia. She willingly stepped forward to offer herself to the ritual.

After several days of preparation and prayer, Nahr infused Alessia's body with the forces of life, fire, and other magics. She became an incredibly powerful magic user in her own right, able to wield the tremendous power of the natural world as both a healing gift and a terrible weapon. She was also imbued with the wisdom and experience of the world, having a deep connection with nature that gave her insight into many things. She heard the thumping tread of armies across sandy deserts, felt the satisfaction of a young man quenching his thirst in the Euphrates River, swelled with rigteousness as the Tigris River drowned those who would defile its riverbanks, and wept with joy as a lost shepherd stumbled upon an oasis just before he gave up hope of finding salvation. She had become a force of nature herself, and she almost immediately became an important tool in Cyrus the Great's court, acting as an adviser and spiritual leader to the Persians.

However, it wasn't long before her incredible power netted her enemies, even if she did nothing to warrant it. A necromancer, Kairos Nustaf, was covetous of her incredible powers. He devised a plan to trap her soul in a gem and slowly siphon her powers into his own aging body. On the night of her 22nd birthday, he struck, cutting her throat in the night as she slept and immediately transferring her soul into a gem he kept on his neck. Little did he know, the forces of nature that had connected so deeply with Alessia fumed with rage at this heinous crime. In an act of fiery retribution, nature itself rose up against the Persian Empire. The Euphrates ran dry and choked crops of their needed hydration, the Tigris River flooded and drowned hundreds in the villages that bordered it, the Sun surged forward and burned the Royal Palace to the ground, and oases all around the desert simply disappeared as if they had never been there.

When Cyrus the Great discovered the treachery that had suddenly caused this age of strife in the Persian Empire, he had Kairos almost immediately killed. Thinking the gem that Alessia's soul was trapped in to be a piece of Kairos' foul magics, he had it thrown into the river, never to be held by another spellcaster. This would be where Alessia's story ends, floating along the bottom of the ocean floor, her soul forever trapped in magical stasis. However, in a stroke of good luck, Kairos' gem - with Alessia's soul intact - was discovered off the Ivory Coast by a scuba diver in 1984. Somehow preserved, he had it appraised before donating it to a museum in his home country of Morocco. Here it remained, dormant, until Alessia's soul was suddenly ready to re-inhabit the natural world.

Suddenly, on a particularly hot day in 2014, Alessia's regenerated body burst forth from the gem, destroying it in the process. She immediately was thrown into a world she didn't understand, lacking the raw magical power she had possessed in her time of living. In the few days she stumbled around the city streets of Marrakesh, she managed to pop onto the radar of Argus Investigation and Detainment. The massive burst of magical energy when she regenerated, in addition to a young woman stumbling around the city speaking a dead language and wearing clothes of an ancient time, seemed all too convenient to them. She was almost immediately picked up and detained.

AID found Alessia to be a broken woman. Her psyche was shattered from the time she spent trapped in the phylactery, and she seemed to have suffered a psychotic break from being exposed to too much raw information as she emerged in a completely alien world surrounded by people who were simultaneously terrified of her presence and intrigued by her somewhat unstable behavior. She was contained in an Argus facility and slowly nursed back to some form of functional health, though it required the efforts of several low-scale metas to translate her speech and some other empathic metas to help calm her extreme emotional instability. However, by 2016, she was a fully functioning adult.

The next four years were a slow process, but Argus aided Alessia in adjusting to the modern world and developing into a functioning member of society. Interestingly enough, her psychiatrist would bring her regular news updates in her daily visits to Alessia's facility. Alessia expressed an interest in righting the wrongs that were being done in the outside world, and vigorously trained her mind and her body to be prepared enough to be declared "sanctioned" by Argus. In 2020, after several years of brutal physical and mental stabilizing and strengthening, she was officially sanctioned by Argus, and assigned to the Argonauts to help them in their missions.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Fears/Phobias: Modern technology to an extent, the slow but sure destruction of the natural world through the carnivorous and vile practices of modern humanity.
Skills: Fluent in English, Modern Persian, and an ancient dead language spoken by Persian nobility. Incredible combatant and extremely dangerous in melee.
Theme: Some Ori and the Blind Forest for you.
Last edited by Skyggeheim on Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:40 pm

Skyggeheim wrote:
Argus Metahuman File

Name: Alessia Kassis
Alias: Masir

Accepted, and roster will be updated asap

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:07 pm

yeah, I kinda need help brainstorming a character. Just nothing is coming to mind.

Skyggeheim
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyggeheim » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:18 pm

Union Princes wrote:yeah, I kinda need help brainstorming a character. Just nothing is coming to mind.

You can keep your current character if you want, and just buff up her traits. I scrapped Danica and went with a new concept.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Skyggeheim wrote:
Union Princes wrote:yeah, I kinda need help brainstorming a character. Just nothing is coming to mind.

You can keep your current character if you want, and just buff up her traits. I scrapped Danica and went with a new concept.

I don't want to steal your thunder, Skiggy. You got here first.

Skyggeheim
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyggeheim » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:22 pm

Union Princes wrote:
Skyggeheim wrote:You can keep your current character if you want, and just buff up her traits. I scrapped Danica and went with a new concept.

I don't want to steal your thunder, Skiggy. You got here first.

Nah, nah. I like my new concept better. :lol:
I can keep Danica on the backburner. You go ahead with yours, really. I'm excited to see how you RP her.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:40 pm

Nah, I'm also changing mine too. Was thinking about making a healer character but I like my healer character a bit deranged so it won't fly with teh strict requirements of this superhero group.

San Har Jasta
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby San Har Jasta » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:59 pm

Argus Metahuman File

Name: Chief
Alias: Chief

Powers:
  • Psychometry: When he touches an object, Chief is able to instantly learn the history of the object. He gains knowledge of its functions, how it was made, what it has been used for, and by whom. These observations go further than simple abject fact- Chief can learn of the thing's meaning to those who used it, the emotional details that a simple factual scan would miss. Due to being able to learn the details of any inorganic thing he touches, Chief can usually use whatever he's touched with some proficiency. This isn't a secondary power, more of a side effect of the primary.
  • Feral Mind: Chief can tap back into his normal primal state as a chimpanzee. While this strips him of his human level intelligence, he gains greatly enhanced physical strength, beyond that of a normal chimp. In this primal state he is able to lift up to 16 tons, possibly more. He also gains a great resistance to damage and pain. An unenhanced chimp is able to keep fighting even after suffering multiple stab wounds. A feral-minded Chief is able to shrug off gunfire wounds and even charge through grenade explosions. While he devolves to an animal intelligence in this state, Chief does not lose sight of his current goal and allies who are considered a part of his family.
  • Simian Physiology: Despite his incredible abilities, Chief is, at his core, an ape. While this makes him stand out in any crowd it does come with a few benefits. His feet are prehensile and can function as a second pair of hands, even in his intelligent state he has the strength and agility of a chimpanzee, and is an excellent climber

Drawbacks & Limitations: Psychometry requires Chief to physically touch the object in question. He also may need to hold onto it for a long time depending on how far back into it's history he wants to go. In the Feral Mind, he loses access to his psychometry. While Feral Mind makes him tough, he is not invincible. Taking a large amount of damage will revert him back into his intelligent state. The Feral Mind can also make him run away if it believes that a fight cannot be won. Finally the Feral Mind leaves him extra susceptible to mental abilities such as mind control.

Weaknesses: He is an ape and may elicit strange looks in public. He also has the physical limitations of a chimp- he's not very good at throwing things and cannot swim. He also has short legs, which make things such as driving impossible without aid.

Equipment and weapons: He carries an AF2011-A1 handgun. Other than that, he is most comfortable fighting with his hands, feet, and teeth.

BACKGROUND

Nationality: American
Hometown: Central Park Zoo

Personality: Chief is very stereotypical in his ideals and morals due to learning about the world through movies and songs. He believes in holding up the law, except when the law is unjust. He is very protective of who he views as his family as any good chimp would be. When he is not on the job, Chief is very easy going ape always willing to crack open a banana with a buddy. He will listen when you tell him your problems, and will help you out, if you ask for it. Due to learning about the world through media, he believes that witty banter is a requirement of any mission and that no mater the stakes good will always prevail.

When Chief is feral-minded he behaves much more like an average chimpanzee. He loses himself in the primal bloodlust, becoming an aggressive beast driven only by the desire to protect those which it considers family. While the beast still has the same goal as his intelligent state, it is much more willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish that goal.

Bio: During his primate youth, Chief was always a little different. Every time he went to touch one of his favorite toys, strange pictures and sounds would flash into his brain. Being an infant chimp he thought little of it. He was more concerned with simple things like food, or pestering his mother to pick the bugs out of his fur. A normal chimp, with normal desires. And yet, the pictures and sounds persisted. They began to take on names. The tall ones who brought him food and toys became keepers, and the keepers became Jonathan and Erina. His family, and all things that looked like them also had a name- Chimpanzee. That's what he was- and his own name, the one that the keepers had given, was Chief.

Chief continued to expand his knowledge. He found a new favorite toy- A curved yellow thing that made noise. The thing had a name, and it was called saxophone. As he touched it he saw more shiny saxophones that made more beautiful sounds. The humans who listened to the shiny saxophones felt something when they heard the sounds. A feeling named joy. Chief wanted this "joy". The other Chimps in his family, the ones that he had found names for didn't seem to understand what he meant, no matter how he explained it. Chief found himself staying on his own more often, staring out the invisible walls- the glass- that separated his home from everything else, from the joy.

Chief hatched a plan. He needed to find the joy and the only way was to escape this glass prison. He knew where the humans came in, through the hole in the wall, through the door. First, he remembered something from the glass, the small ones, the children. The adults did whatever they could to protect them, much like chimp. With this knowledge Chief began to mimic the sounds that the humans make. A young one crying, during the time when the young ones visited. The keepers were drawn by the noise due to their innate desire to protect- like chimp. When they entered, the first thing they did was to gather the chimp family. Chief's window of time was short, but he was quick. He hid beside the open door while Jonathan and Erina entered, and in the moment their backs were turned- he slipped out. It was not that Chief disliked his keepers- he simply needed to find the joy. And from what he had learned, the keepers would not like that idea.

The outside world was very different from home- from the zoo. His curious ape hands touched many things, and from them, he learned many things. Chief made his way through what was called a 'city'- a jungle, but made of stone- concrete- that humans lived inside of. The more Chief learned, the longer he wanted to spend in the outside. Chief hid from human sight during the day, and moved and explored under the cover of night. His knowledge expanded every time. The 'joy', was only one of many things called emotions. Some things were filled with emotions. Some were positive, and made him feel the warmth of the sun on his fur. Some were negative, and made him feel a cold pain in his heart. Hearts were things for pumping blood- which was a very important thing to have in his body- but they also could feel emotions, sometimes.

Chief found a store, a place where humans kept things that other people wanted. He found out that he could break some types of glass with his hands if he hit hard enough. And so he gained entry. Chief wandered among foreign things with few memories to show him, until he found it. The saxophone, shiny and gold, waiting for him on a shelf of its own. It was dented, and the shine was dulled in some places, but his ape mind found it beautiful nonetheless. Chief took the saxophone, and it gave him memories. A young human, learning how to blow through the golden saxophone to produce the beautiful sounds that brought joy. The keys on the front that changed the sound, made it rise and fall- the sound had a name. Its name was music.

Chief had found his first love. He took the saxophone with him to his lair, and he let it teach him. When night fell, he emerged into the city once more, finding new human things. He found new human things, flat round ones called records, and a player that could draw music from them. There were many more instruments than saxophones, and together, they were a thing of beauty. He found a box called a TV, with movies that would play on it, and show him more of the human world. It was with these that he saw what made humans different than chimps. Their hate, their love, their society- it was all on a grander scale than anything he could have ever imagined back in his zoo. He learned of words, the ways that humans wrote the names of things- and more. He read about humans that were greater than all the rest- the ones called metahumans.

Metahumans were to normal humans what Chief was to normal chimps. Perhaps whatever had given them their powers had given Chief his- the way he drew memories from things that he touched. Metahumans, though, would impact Chief's life in a much more physical way than his reading. The time eventually came for him to return to his home. He wondered what he would do with all of his new knowledge. Perhaps Jonathan and Erina would be his new friends. Unfortunately, he never got to find out. The zoo which Chief had grown up in was a casualty- collateral damage in a dispute between rival groups of villains, a dispute that had grown beyond a mere clash. Chief found the family he had grown up with burned, speared, eviscerated, or simply gone. He knew that the emotion he felt was named sadness.

The sadness became determination. Determination to become what he had seen in his movies and his books- a hero. Someone who would protect the people who couldn't protect themselves, and who would save other families. His career began small- most would doubt his very existence, due to the innate absurdity of a powered chimp. ARGUS, however, does not see any reports as too absurd. In time, Chief was chased and caught. It seems that a touch of the absurd may be exactly what the new Argonauts team needs. Rather than being thrown into one of the many metahuman prisons, Chief has been given a new family to protect.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Fears/Phobias: Afraid of predatory animals.
Skills: Able to communicate with Chimps but they may hate him. (Chimpanzees are mean) He is also adequate with a firearm, mostly handguns. Also a mediocre saxophonist.
Theme: Superstition

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse