NATION

PASSWORD

The Last Stars - OOC/Signups (Closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:00 am

Harkback Union wrote:
Lunas Legion wrote:Uh, Hark, but in theory isn't it impossible for Defeated Armadas and Expeditions to colonise since a colony requires 5 C but they don't have any way of generating C?

Ah, but colony ships spawn a basic colony when landing.
In addition, your leader can genrate 2 money per turn for building colonies.

Ah. I assume building new colonies is for spreading to other continents. Also is this going to have a big, gradually expanding map or do we all get little maps that as we find each other gradually get stitched together?
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

The Empire of Tau
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Empire of Tau » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:05 am

SPECIES
Name: Entity-1435
Homeworld: [REDACTED]
Description: The subspecies of Atorasu-Nasa can be seen as ‘flesh-bags’ due to their outward fleshy appearance. There is no one size and shape that can be used to overall describe subsets of Entity-1435 (Atorasu-Nasa).
History: [REDACTED]

FACTION
Name: Church of the Old God
Ideology: Ideals are hard-to-pin, even non-existence, down due to the very nature of Atorasu-Nasa. If anything, the internal hivemind functions can be closely understood as [FAITH] and [PLANNING]
Background: Broken Hivemind - Atorasu-Nasa was once a part of a larger entity known as Gozo, which was an over-sized bio-mass the size of a sun. Atorasu, the heart, was within Gozo that managed its circulatory system. The ambitions of Gozo and its many legions of flesh-eating eldritch horrors would soon meet its match after a united front against it. After Gozo died, the body parts of Gozo either withered away or were captured by the enemy. For Atorasu-Nasa, it got contained for study. Not surprising, Atorasu-Nasa managed to somehow escaped its massive containment and get a colony ship for itself to find the last remaining stars to grow and expand once more.
History: ^
Leader: Atorasu-Nasa is a massive beating heart that serves as the overall entity, “leader”, of its remaining hivemind. Rouge calculations hold Atorasu-Nasa to be about a few hundred billion years old.
Last edited by The Empire of Tau on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:24 am

Seno Zhou Varada wrote:SPECIES
Name: Called by themselves, the "Double Ones", namely for their unique biological structure of having a fully mobile fungus and a stationary mycelial body.
Homeworld: Their homeworld exists without a name, a remnant memory that is missed but not yearned for too deeply. It's only defining feature was deep topsoil, extending far below the surface and having plentiful space for many of the Double Ones.
Description: As stated above, the Double Ones have two separate pieces to their organism. What is first formed is the mycelial body, splitting off from another mature body, which then forms a fungal body, which can move around and manipulate it's environment. The mycelial body is stationary for the most part, moving slowly through a substrate and digesting nutrients in the substrate. When enough materials are present, a fungal body is formed above ground. This has the purpose of acquiring more nutrients for the mycelial body to digest. In modern times, the bodies are put into more mobile containers which have a linking port for forming and maintaining the fungal body. The Double Ones also share a conscious mind through a surprisingly long range telepathy, although it cannot cross interstellar distances. The mind itself is somewhat split, having two separate personalities with a lot of overlap.
History: The origins of the Double Ones are strange to be sure. Having split bodies that share a goal is strange enough in the universe, but a shared mind across far distances is even stranger. While they don't remember how they came about, their religion does seem to focus on a mixed savior/destroyer deity. One who tore up the Earth, tore them in twain, but then reunited them despite physical distance.

FACTION
Name: The Ones who Hid
Ideology: Faith and Planning - The Ones who Hid are a very collectivized society who rely heavily on faith, although not necessarily for social control. Their collective minds are fragile, and at risk of separating whenever resources are scarce, the fungal body goes too far, or when many beings are present in an area. Through heavy planning and a collective responsibility, these risks can be carefully mitigated. In addition, their worship of the savior/destroyer helps to ease the tensions of their mind for some reason.
Background: Cosmic Refugees
History: While they forget their origins, they do remember their escape. They remember how, like their savior/destroyer, beings came to turn up their precious soils. However these entities didn't offer them a boon in return, simply stealing all they could get their hands on, slaughtering their peoples along the way. Many factions formed here, perhaps others survived, but The Ones who Hid only know for certain of their own survival. Organizing themselves to the fullest, the fungal bodies moved their mycelial counterparts to the invader's spaceships, hiding among the precious soils in their cargo holds. By then sacrificing their fungal bodies and turning it into nutrients, they could then rebuild and ambush those onboard the ships. In doing so, they secured a great amount of them while traveling. However, by the time they had regained control, their homeworld was far gone and they only had the most basic knowledge of how to operate the invader's technology. Unsure of how to turn back, they moved forwards to where the invaders were surely going, the Omega Cluster. While a risk, they couldn't sustain themselves forever onboard these barely united colony ships.
Leader: The One who United - While originally without many leaders, those that have started to emerge are those that led the operations to capture the invader's ships. The One who United is the one who both took over a ship and united the other ships to form the colony ship. While many in this species are uncomfortable acting as leaders, directing a group of split minds is difficult, The One who United is more comfortable than most, and so took charge of this situation.

Finally done writing that

Very creative.
Especially like the secret passengers part.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:26 am

Lunas Legion wrote:SPECIES
Name: They don't remember their name, so they call themselves As'kaqa; in what they remember of their language, it roughly means 'to be forgotten' or 'to forget'.
Homeworld: They don't remember their homeworld, and every As'kaqa seems to have a contradictory description of it. Some call it a vast desert, blasted by winds, some say they lived underground, some say they lived in endless green forests, others still say they lived in cramped passages of iron and steel, endless worlds of metal and glass. The name is forgotten, like much else about their history.
Description: The As'kaqa are reptilians, but other than that vary greatly in size. Some are barely three to four feet tall, small and lithe but intelligent, others stand almost six foot and are well-muscled while another group stand almost 8 foot tall as mountains of muscle but as dumb as bricks. They believe that the three strains are part of a historical eugenics program to create specifically bred castes, but have no proof.
History: The As'kaqa do not know their history. They awoke from cryogenic stasis, with a course pre-set, with technologies that they understood despite having no memory of ever encountering them before. Everything else is a mystery.

FACTION
Name: The Armada of the Forgotten
Ideology: Planning, Obedience
Background: Scientific Expedition - Not that they know this.
History: The Armada of the Forgotten is the name given to the small fleet of unknown purpose that the As'kaqa awoke in. They do not know how they got here, why they are here, but their pre-set course is coming to an end and deeply buried memories of desperation, fear and survival flutter to the surface among their smarter members as they look for... Whatever they were sent here for. That feeling of purpose, the drive to hunt all of them possess. And for some, it is not desperation or fear, but curiosity that they feel...
Leader: Adral

Enigmatic...
Love it!

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:27 am

The Empire of Tau wrote:
SPECIES
Name: Entity-1435
Homeworld: [REDACTED]
Description: The subspecies of Atorasu-Nasa can be seen as ‘flesh-bags’ due to their outward fleshy appearance. There is no one size and shape that can be used to overall describe subsets of Entity-1435 (Atorasu-Nasa).
History: [REDACTED]

FACTION
Name: Church of the Old God
Ideology: Ideals are hard-to-pin, even non-existence, down due to the very nature of Atorasu-Nasa. If anything, the internal hivemind functions can be closely understood as [FAITH] and [PLANNING]
Background: Broken Hivemind - Atorasu-Nasa was once a part of a larger entity known as Gozo, which was an over-sized bio-mass the size of a sun. Atorasu, the heart, was within Gozo that managed its circulatory system. The ambitions of Gozo and its many legions of flesh-eating eldritch horrors would soon meet its match after a united front against it. After Gozo died, the body parts of Gozo either withered away or were captured by the enemy. For Atorasu-Nasa, it got contained for study. Not surprising, Atorasu-Nasa managed to somehow escaped its massive containment and get a colony ship for itself to find the last remaining stars to grow and expand once more.
History: ^
Leader: Atorasu-Nasa is a massive beating heart that serves as the overall entity, “leader”, of its remaining hivemind. Rouge calculations hold Atorasu-Nasa to be about a few hundred billion years old.

Finally! Someone posts picture of their species!
*Looks at pictures*
:shock:

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:28 am

Gotta say, Hark, these mechanics are looking pretty swanky. I like.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

The Empire of Tau
Minister

Postby The Empire of Tau » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:31 am

Harkback Union wrote:Finally! Someone posts picture of their species!
*Looks at pictures* :shock:

Yes.

Also, given that I can only produce food. How do I power my stuff, and do I only need to build Farming Colonies?
Last edited by The Empire of Tau on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:45 am

The Empire of Tau wrote:
Harkback Union wrote:Finally! Someone posts picture of their species!
*Looks at pictures* :shock:

Yes.

Also, given that I can only produce food. How do I power my stuff, and do I only need to build Farming Colonies?

Not quite. The main difference is that you have to "grow" low-tech colonies with food from farms instead of spending moneyz. Eden continents will be especially valuable to you since they produce a surplus of 5 food, which allows for rapid growth (1 new colony every 2 turns!), while growth on other worlds can be slow or even impossible (if there is no water!). Also, in order to build advanced colonies, spaceships and stations, you will still need industry.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:47 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Gotta say, Hark, these mechanics are looking pretty swanky. I like.

Been thinking of this one for years. It also had a somewhat more complex WW2 Space version (spacekrieg) which I didn't have time to host.

Do let me know if you feel some areas need improvement or clarification.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:22 am

Lunas Legion wrote:
Harkback Union wrote:
Ah, but colony ships spawn a basic colony when landing.
In addition, your leader can genrate 2 money per turn for building colonies.

Ah. I assume building new colonies is for spreading to other continents. Also is this going to have a big, gradually expanding map or do we all get little maps that as we find each other gradually get stitched together?

The latter. I want it to be flexible. Nobody really knows, not even me, who will find who first.
I'll draw a map eventually, just so we get an idea of the scale of things.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Founded: May 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The GAmeTopians » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:23 am

Kinda rushed, but here are my science bois.

SPECIES
Name: Illumae
Homeworld: Luma Prime
Description:
Humanoid in appearance but slightly shorter than the average human, the Illumae are known for their almost universally high levels of intelligence and diplomatic leanings, rather than brawn.
History: Being as intelligent as they were, the Illumae thrived on the beautiful world of Luma Prime, quickly becoming a bright beacon in a dark galaxy. A society built on science and learning, the Luma system was always a peaceful haven for any who wished to expand their knowledge of the universe. The Directorate's expedition to the Omega cluster was sent long before their home galaxy was destroyed, so the plucky explorers who we will soon follow know not the fate of their one-time home. Only the knowledge that is to come.

FACTION
Name: The Directorate
Ideology: The Directorate's sole purpose is to uncover all the myriad mysteries of the Omega Cluster. (Reason, Competition)
Background: Scientific Expedition
Starting Techs: Atomic Power, Hydroponics, Underground Colonization, Unknown Tier 2, Unknown Breakthrough
History: The Directorate was easily the most powerful faction among the Illumae. How could a species of intelligent, curious beings not flock to an institution built for the acquisition of knowledge? The expedition to the Omega cluster is just one of many endeavors championed by the Directorate, but it is the most popular one - hence the participation of Director Arctus Protea himself, the most recent Director of the Directorate.
Leader: Director Arctus Protea
Empire of Donner land wrote:EHEG don't stop for no one.
It's like your a prostitute and the RP is a truck. The truck don't stop.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:58 am

Oh no not more science bois.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:20 am

Alright, application finished.
Now to re-read all the rules for a fourth time and wrap my small, primate brain around the complexities I will be sure to miss time and again.
I have been previously known as Apfeldonia and Thimbyrland

Oh way down south in the land of cotton...

Water Earth Fire Air

The Empire of Tau
Minister

Postby The Empire of Tau » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:25 am

Don't mind if I flavor my mechanics a bit?

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:26 am

Yuzhou wrote:Alright, application finished.
Now to re-read all the rules for a fourth time and wrap my small, primate brain around the complexities I will be sure to miss time and again.

Worry not. Exploration, resources and colonization are the key sections. The rest will slowly come into play later.
Let me know if you find any inconsistencies or things I forgot to explain.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:27 am

The Empire of Tau wrote:Don't mind if I flavor my mechanics a bit?

Would you like something more for your hive mind?
Last edited by Harkback Union on Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:29 am

Armadas and Expeditions get a leader on their explorer to help them find a planet.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Founded: May 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The GAmeTopians » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:32 am

Is my app good Sir Union?
Empire of Donner land wrote:EHEG don't stop for no one.
It's like your a prostitute and the RP is a truck. The truck don't stop.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:33 am

The GAmeTopians wrote:Is my app good Sir Union?

Oh yes, ALL OF THEM ARE.
Gonna build a faction list asap.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:40 am

Yuzhou wrote:

Star sky of Yuluk, bright did you light the future, upon your earthen stone, your murmurs coo the children asleep

SPECIES
Name: Bal'ahkai "Dreaming Ones" (Gazrok, or "Melting Men" as their enemies knew them, now used sardonically by themselves)
Homeworld: Yuluk - an arid planet with liquid surface and ground water. Host to both flora and fauna, Yuluk was more than capable of sustaining evolving life. Of its many features, gentle vibrations emitted from the core as well as a long axial rotation are the most remembered by the Bal'ahkai. It is presumed to be long gone, and its loss is a matter of deep grief and longing.
Description:
The Bal'ahkai can best be described as, at least in appearance, a near liquid-based lifeform. Originally thought of as forms of living metal by the first alien species to encounter them, later revelations on phenotypic variation (and biological research) proved this firmly to not be the case. Instead, their amorphous bodies began as a result of life on Yuluk gaining complexity and suited firmly a subterranean lifestyle. As their sapience grew, so too did their resilience and their final and most recent evolutionary step allowed them to venture out into the warmth of Yuluk's G-type star, though they retained habitation of caverns as shelter even into the space age.

Possessing exceptionally soft and fluid bodies, the Bal'ahkai can restructure themselves to suite many shapes, though this has severe restrictions for them. Once exploring the cosmos, they often attempted to match the general shape of whatever species they were interacting with, though their "true" forms are surprisingly not too far in shape from humanoid species, albeit lacking most features or refined form from a human standpoint. Whatever advantages they may have gained from versatile shape was off-set by fragility. To provide themselves with more stable structure, the species evolved the ability to incorporate plates of rock with their bodies, creating a kind of clothing and outward skeleton, but locking their shape until completely removed. Phenotypes among the species see their luminous skin colored from deep black, to a silvery metallic, to a translucent kind of white. This, paired with the use of many kinds of stone clothing, leads to a relatively colorful array of individual appearance. The species is formed from two sexes for sexual reproduction, though extremely obvious sexual dimorphism is absent outside of form mimicking.

The Bal'akhai are very long lived, typically in the area of centuries, but slow at reproducing, with low fertility rates. Yuluk provided their evolutionary ancestors with ample space for an omnivorous diet but it was competition with many powerful predator species that lead them from sentience to sapience. Members of the species can communicate through touch, and as a social species, this is the preferred method among themselves. They are, however, more than capable of advanced vocal linguistics and to others their speech may sound modulating, rhythmic, and electronic. Two types of body language is found and practiced among them -- firstly, they are able to vibrate softly, much like their homeworld, and this can be a voluntary or involuntary response. Secondly, a release of hormonal pigments can temporarily change the tint of their bodies in response to stimuli. Both of these biological communicators feature heavily in their art and culture.

History: The Bal'ahkai did not come upon cosmic travel in their own. They were, instead, one of the fortunate (or unfortunate) recipients of alien encounter. Though the details of the original event are mostly forgotten and mythologized, it is dubbed the "awakening". While not original space travelers in their own right, the intellectual ability of the species would have seen it reach that point eventually, if not reluctantly, and they adapted quite well to rapid scientific advancement and revelation.

Unfortunately exploring the stars meant interaction with others doing so, and the Bal'ahkai were not taught by their benefactors for no reason. Indeed, they would find themselves unwilling party to the galactic conflicts already raging around them and their participation and scale would only grow with the time. This war, known now as the "breaking", would eventually lead to their undoing.

FACTION
Name: Memory of Yuluk
Ideology: Faith and Liberty
Background: Defeated Space Armada - How many eons have passed since the Breaking? How many stars? How many dreams?
What is presumably the last of the Bal'akhai now floats in the remains of a battered fleet. It was only a matter of time before their numerous and overwhelming enemies defeated them. Their allies had fled or been destroyed themselves, the very ones who involved them in the infernal conflict. Now All that remains is a skeleton, the Gazrok, the ones who fled. Yuluk, the rest of their people, their dreams...have now vanished. After warping out, the last of the Dreaming Ones moves quietly towards the end of their long journey, towards the last bright light of a dimming universe -- the Omega Cluster.
History: See Background. More to be revealed ICly
Leader: Kamaka - "the Black Man", is one of the few remaining Gazrok to have been born and raised on Yuluk. This, paired with his extremely advanced age, lends him the most authority in the remaining fleet. Enigmatic, Mystical, and with a long memory, the Black Man was once a religious figure before the Breaking. Now, he leads what remains of the Dreamers towards the last horizon.

Additional Leaders -
Harakpa - "Gypsum Man", another of the few who can recall Yuluk. He was a magistrate before the breaking and now works as Kamaka's second-in-command.

Yesulai - "Ocean Woman", she was a girl when she left Yuluk for a colony. Originally an architect and later ambassador, she is Harakpa's mate and one of the more capable among the remaining Gazrok, earning her third in the chain of command.

Awesome!
Also, you reminded me to add music to the game.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:09 pm

Do you have an ETA for the IC Hark? I gotta go find myself some planets.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:Do you have an ETA for the IC Hark? I gotta go find myself some planets.

Could be tomorrow evening, if all goes according to plan.
Wednesday if nothing goes according to plan.

Much preparation to do.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:16 pm

Harkback Union wrote:
Lunas Legion wrote:Do you have an ETA for the IC Hark? I gotta go find myself some planets.

Much preparation to do.

Makes sense. Just excited since it's been a long time since the last one of these.

The Empire of Tau
Minister

Postby The Empire of Tau » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:34 pm

Harkback Union wrote:
The Empire of Tau wrote:Don't mind if I flavor my mechanics a bit?

Would you like something more for your hive mind?

I guess you could say that. Don't mind if I throw ideas at you?
Last edited by The Empire of Tau on Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:35 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:
Harkback Union wrote:

Much preparation to do.

Makes sense. Just excited since it's been a long time since the last one of these.

And I intend to do a proper job.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse