NATION

PASSWORD

Life of a Mage [Fantasy|Mechanics|Closed|OOC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Life of a Mage [Fantasy|Mechanics|Closed|OOC]

Postby Novas Arcanum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Wizard, Sorcerer, Witch or Sorceress, the title is but a formality. You are a person gifted with magic, one who can manipulate the aether, and control the arcane forces. Your power is only limited by your imagination and wisdom, your very words can rain down meteors, summon storms, raise the undead, and unravel the mysteries of the universe. You travel the world offering your services to those who need them. Right now you are but a novice, but through studying, adventuring, and dedication, you will become a master of the arcane. With your staff and trustworthy familiar, you take to the roads eager for adventure.

PERMISE

Welcome fellow roleplayers! This is a simple dice game where you will be roleplaying as a novice wizard in a medieval fantasy world. Your character's main goal is to become the most powerful wizard in the world. This is gained through adventuring, accruing ancient arcane knowledge, and exploring the world. This will be a Dice RP, with simple mechanics, you roleplaying your actions and me rolling dice for the results.

ON WIZARDS...

Wizards are beings who can control the aether. Every wizard comes with arcane medium, a staff that channels the chaotic force of nature known as magic. Keep tabs on these! Losing them can have grave consequences mainly you losing your ability to control magic. Wizards also have a familiar, a spectral being that grants bonuses depending on the situation.

Each wizard also has a spellbook within their possession that holds five spells of your choosing. Keep in mind your a novice so the list of spells you know should not be advanced merely basic words of power that a low-level mage would have knowledge of. Spellbooks are important for they allow a wizard to memorize the incantations that allow them to bend reality to their will. Spellbooks are also important to arcane research, allowing one to learn new spells, and even invent spells that haven't been researched yet.

All wizards start as novices, through training, research, and adventuring one may move up the ranks. Wizards are exceptionally long-lived capable of living for at least 600 years if their not eaten by some monster or killed by disease or in war, thus we will have time-skips periodically.

FAMILARS
Are like a wizard's guardian spirit if you will. Their highly intelligent, and can be used to find things of interest that a wizard may not find, such as treasure, clues, or spot hidden enemies. They can be any small animal within reason, of course. Players can roleplay their familiars if they wish or have them be mere objects that pop up when convenient.

THE WORLD
Is mostly vast wilderness, with a few cities here and there acting as beacons of civilization. There are sweeping deserts, towering mountains, lush forests, and boggy swamps. Monsters and creatures of legend roam the world. The world is in an early medieval state of technology

Code: Select all
[box]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Biography:[/b]
[b]Familiar:[/b]
[b]Starting Location:[/b]
[b][u]List of Spells (Pick 5):[/u][/b]

[/box]

Help when making a app:
Biography: An interesting account of your player's life and what they've been up to until this point.

Age: I said wizards can live up to 600 years but I'd advise you to roleplay as a young adult for now.

Familiar: As I said earlier most small mundane animals will do just no dragons or other beasts of legend.

Starting Location: This can be your mages homeland, or in the middle of nowhere. You can provide a description of your location such as rather it's a wealthy city-state, or in a boggy swamp, or wherever within reason.

List of Spells: Just some basic novice spells for now here are some examples:

Fireball
Ice spike
Open simple lock
Heal minor wounds
Magelight
Last edited by Novas Arcanum on Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ceystile
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 29, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ceystile » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:41 pm

Boi...this is exactly my cup of tea, sign me up

Raktio
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Raktio » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:03 pm

What sort of system are you using for dice rolling, and how is a spell's level judged?

Fireball is not always known as a novice level spell.
Broadside dead ahead!

No, this comment is not meant to be sarcastic.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:25 pm

A simple d10 system. The level of spells is determined by your rank. For example, as a novice, a fireball isn't so much a fireball as it is a spark as you advance levels and progress through the story you'll find your spells becoming stronger.
Last edited by Novas Arcanum on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raktio
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Raktio » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:33 pm

Novas Arcanum wrote:A simple d10 system. The level of spells is determined by your rank. For example, as a novice, a fireball isn't so much a fireball as it is a small spark as you advance levels and progress through the story you'll find your spells becoming stronger.

Hmmm, will you tell us the level of what the spells we have selected can do? (like someone says I have fireball, and then when you accept the character you say "okay, fireball will start out as a a small spark at your level)

what can novice level necromancy, summoning, and enchanting (creating magical artifacts) do?
Broadside dead ahead!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:36 pm

Yknow, this is exactly the sort of RP I could use.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:58 pm

Raktio wrote:
Novas Arcanum wrote:A simple d10 system. The level of spells is determined by your rank. For example, as a novice, a fireball isn't so much a fireball as it is a small spark as you advance levels and progress through the story you'll find your spells becoming stronger.

Hmmm, will you tell us the level of what the spells we have selected can do? (like someone says I have fireball, and then when you accept the character you say "okay, fireball will start out as a a small spark at your level)

what can novice level necromancy, summoning, and enchanting (creating magical artifacts) do?

Yes, I'll tell y'all what your spells are capable of doing.

As for novice level spells, there are tons of you can choose from but I'll give a few

Necromancy:Raise a single undead body

Summoning: Summon a lesser spectral being

Enchantment: Cast soul trap and bind lesser souls (most animals deer, wolves etc) to soul gems.
Last edited by Novas Arcanum on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:04 pm

Hey OP, could we have a ghost as a familiar? I just figured I'd maybe ask.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:08 pm

Ceystile wrote:Hey OP, could we have a ghost as a familiar? I just figured I'd maybe ask.

Nah just animals.

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:09 pm

Ok

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:14 pm

Also, I should've mentioned this earlier but only small animals, no lions, wolves, eagles etc

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:25 pm

Name: Jarnassus Riva
Appearance: A gruff warrior, formerly a sellsword before his Talent awakened, Jarn is tall and broad, shoulders muscled heavily from wielding the broadsword emblematic of his former allegiance, the Second Sons. Possessing a great shaggy beard that was blonde but is now flecked with auburn as he ages, and close-cropped hair distinctive of a warrior accustomed to time inside a noisome helmet, his green eyes are steady but cunning, rarely still for long, always assessing and weighing those around him.
Personality: Taciturn, curt, even rude when getting to know others, Jarn has been through many sets of acquaintances and friends, and does not easily take to others. It doesn't pay to get attached.
Biography: Would prefer to reveal ICly.
Familiar: A soft white tabby cat with eyes of violet.
Starting Location: Journeyman's Hall, Ierith Mages' Guild
List of Spells (Pick 5):
Glamour: A simple trick to conceal the mage from sight or being easily viewed, particularly effective in shadows or at night. Does not work with swift movement, and is easily dispelled by magic-users.
Ensorcel Blade: Channeling a part of the arcane potential into a weapon, armaments imbued with such energy can temporarily sunder armor and withstand blows that would otherwise shatter them.
Wyrdcalling: Reads a shred of the future of a person or place. A dangerous wild subset of scrying which few can master, to see a Fate upon the Winds of Time can drive many mad.
Dreamstride: An exhausting technique, novice Dreamstriders remove themselves from the planes of reality for a few heartbeats, passing through solid objects or across a few hundred feet in an eyeblink at heavy cost to their physical stamina.
Gembinding: A strange sorcery unique to the Stone Towers of Ierith, Gembinders have learned to attune their arcane resonance to that of precious stones, and thus store their strength and mystical potential against future need, calling upon it in time of desperation.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:40 pm

Accepted! You being a roleplayer mentor I know you won't abuse these spells.

I'll still nerf them when the game starts.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:24 am

Reserve me a spot. Have something up today.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:12 am

IC is posted! Also, Ralnis your spot is reserved.
Last edited by Novas Arcanum on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Von Markstein
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Von Markstein » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:18 am

Looks fun, can I reserve a spot? I can have an application done this weekend

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:20 am

Von Markstein wrote:Looks fun, can I reserve a spot? I can have an application done this weekend

Spot reserved for ye.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:43 am

Name: Bozun
Appearance:
[img][https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/9/95/Ron_perlman_nicola.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190128090734/img]

Personality: He acts what people would think is normal in society. He smiles and is polite and bows his head in respect to priests and nobility yet that's all a facade. The truth is he loves to fight and is always searching for arenas and tournaments where he can experience the thrill of fighting the strongest. He constantly wants to fight for sake of having fun. Despite this brutal style he is cunning and intelligent, constantly seeking knowledge of his own magic style to become stronger so that he can challenge more stronger opponents. He always fights limited at first to gauge his opponent and to have the fight last longer just to keep the thrill going but will show his true strength should he meet an opponent that he can go all out against.
Biography: Bozun was born in wetlock from a woman who was a slave to a gang of raiders. Even during this time he had the wild spark of ethereal energy that marked a wizard. Such power could be of use to the gang so they "persuaded" a novice wizard to teach the kid magic in exchange for their freedom.

The young wizard taught a young Bozun but he saw that the magic surrounding him was large and wild, similar to that of a force of nature. He also realized that he didn't take much to conventional magic but that which focus on physical attributes of his character. Even still he learned till the novice died in a sparing match so Bozun left with the wizards staff and spellbook.

Throughout his life, he searched for strong opponents to fight, preferably wizards that he could test his magic against them. It was through these numerous clashes and duels that he learned how to wield his magic in a brutal way, but effective.

He grew up loving the thrill of fighting that he sought to limit himself to fight longer and more fair for his opponent. He learned how to make a familiar with his power and lock it so that he can fight and learn more of his power.

After so many fights and years of learning by combat he had been at the point where he could be called a novice at the use of magic. His wild use of it and combat still got him sent through one dueling ring to another always looking for the strongest to test his mettle to continue his path toward be strongest.
Familiar: A normal spotted rat
Starting Location: In the Dueling Arena of Sarcos
List of Spells (Pick 5):
Kenhachi Form: Channeling the wild energy of raw magic to push Bozun's body beyond normal human limit to his current limit of magic. Cost the familar and can be remade by cutting his power in half.
Wyndspear: Using primal energy and his killing intent, one could focus and shape their staff into a spear capable of cutting with a magical edge.
Fearsome Presence: using the primal power of Bozun's killing intent to shroud himself in an aura of power that can induce fear among those who are weak willed.
Mind String: While not a healing technique one could use magic to control broken arms and legs to keep moving(or fighting in Bozun's case) or even attach severed limbs with some time and lost of energy.
Wild Strike: the spell doesn't have a name but it's his first power to just shoot out energy from a swing of his staff. Is small but enough to do damage.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 am

Accepted!

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:30 am

WIP: Just trying to figure out spells, the ones I have so far are placeholders:

Name: Eliza Marjani
Appearance: She is tall and willowy, standing at 5'10 with a slender, lithe frame. Everything about her seems to be long and angular, except for her rounded features (full lips, rounded nose, etc). Her flaming red-orange hair and russet brown skin are common clan features but tend to stand out in many places.
Personality: She's is a pretty withdrawn young woman, usually preferring to keep to herself. However, she can be quite friendly and will engage you in conversation, enjoying learning new things from other people. However she dislikes large crowds and prefers grimoires or smaller gatherings. She however has zero tolerance for cruelty and can lash out if she feels like she’s being mistreated (unresolved issues, don’t ask).
Biography: Elisabeth Asha Marjani was born to a Kitri family in Tefit, a coastal port town in the southern regions of the continent. The Kitri are a people typically seen in hotter climates with copper to chestnut hair and their skin tone ranges from terra-cotta to umber. They’re fishermen, craftsmen, authors, artisans and smiths and they often have significant tattoos divined for them by a shaman when they come of age, supposed to tell them their purpose. Her childhood was really nothing to boast about, two parents, a couple of siblings, just normal y’know. Except that her talent for the arcane was discovered quite early in life, namely when she caused her toys to float. As such she was sent to the senior group of wizards in the town to learn from when she came of age. After studying under them for six years, Eliza was seen as an adult woman and as such it was time to choose a career path. Surprisingly, she packed up and chose to travel in search of collecting more magic and knowledge from the places she would visit.
Familiar: Dragon, a three-foot long rat snake with iridescent black scales
Starting Location: An arcane library
List of Spells (Pick 5):
Shield: A shield of magical energy to protect from direct attacks
Shock Touch: She can hurl a small bolt of lightning at an enemy
Clay Construct: Can create up to four mid-sized clay figure to animate and use in a fight
Summon: Can summon an inanimate object up to her from ten feet
Heal: Heals minor wounds
Last edited by Ceystile on Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Founded: May 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The GAmeTopians » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:40 am

Dammit Novas, you really know how to get me involved in more RPs than I should be :p
Empire of Donner land wrote:EHEG don't stop for no one.
It's like your a prostitute and the RP is a truck. The truck don't stop.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Raktio
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Raktio » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Is it fine to start as nobility (or at least part of a noble family)?
Broadside dead ahead!

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Sure I'll allow minor nobility.

Raktio
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Raktio » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Novas Arcanum wrote:Sure I'll allow minor nobility.

Figured family ties could bring up some issues along the way (notably in the matter of war and possibly trade). Is coming from a Viscount family okay? (below count/above baron)
Broadside dead ahead!

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:59 pm

I would allow a baron/baroness.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse