NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations (2nd Era, OOC, Always Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we carry on - ( comment what you voted after voting, THIS IS MANDATORY )

Poll ended at Mon May 11, 2020 5:40 am

1. Carry on in the year 2975
68%
2. Skip to the year 2970
14%
3. Skip to the year 2945
18%

Total votes : 22

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Mon May 04, 2020 9:53 am

Orostan wrote:
Plzen wrote:I voted short time skip.

Well, my original idea for Clara and the Commonwealth was a clash between industrial ideals and an early agrarian society. People of the Neolithic re-interpreting Clara’s idea of progress to suit their Neolithic outlook and the incompatibilities that causes. Clara trying to slowly drag the Commonwealth into a modern parliamentary democracy, having to fight the very nature of the society she leads every painful stop of the way as the country violently lurches this way and that as many nascent democracies did and even in the 21st Century still do.

I didn’t really expect foreign intervention; Viktor’s Imperium is forcing me to spend far more of my IC posts on military development, technological advancement, and territorial expansion than I ever really intended to.

That's an interesting political conflict. Is capitalism fully established in the Commonwealth, or are you lingering around slave society?

iirc theyre more of a communal set up, as I don't think Scandinavia had been penetrated by Neolithic groups by 3000 BCE (well, Neolithic groups that brought agriculture). So the Commonwealth is probably a glorified network of horticultural villages by now (then again, I don't think a single Author state except one in Mesopotamia is more than that anyway, it's only been a generation, max :lol2:)

So overall a similar-ish situation to California, but, probably less people but more "international" (whatever that means in this age) trade (and more warfare lol)

Orostan wrote:aaaaaaay

Currently I've been using modern geography. The Yellow River is crazy and moved every few hundred years until relatively recently so I've set aside my idea of trying to play in actual geography for the time period. It's great to see at least someone trying to play with the ancient geography.

lol well I understand not everyone is as enthralled in the history of the place they landed in as I am haha, there's a good reason I go for California in these RPs, the more I research the more convinced I am it's, frankly kinda perfect for the premise. That said, Egypt was also a close one, because if American crops are playing agriculture on easy mode, then Nile silt is playing with cheat codes enabled :D
Last edited by Reatra on Mon May 04, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
yee haw it's time for mass line

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Mon May 04, 2020 9:57 am

As for the poll, if the majority vote for "not 35 year timeskip" then it prolly shouldn't happen imo, instead being between the first couple options. That said I'm up for whatever, I'll have a LOT of free time soon to hash stuff out.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Mon May 04, 2020 10:01 am

I'm with g - and voted for no timeskip.
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon May 04, 2020 10:01 am

Plzen wrote:I voted short time skip.

Well, my original idea for Clara and the Commonwealth was a clash between industrial ideals and an early agrarian society. People of the Neolithic re-interpreting Clara’s idea of progress to suit their Neolithic outlook and the incompatibilities that causes. Clara trying to slowly drag the Commonwealth into a modern parliamentary democracy, having to fight the very nature of the society she leads every painful stop of the way as the country violently lurches this way and that as many nascent democracies did and even in the 21st Century still do.

I didn’t really expect foreign intervention; Viktor’s Imperium is forcing me to spend far more of my IC posts on military development, technological advancement, and territorial expansion than I ever really intended to.

How have things changed culture wise? I imagine that constant wars have definitely shifted their initial outlooks on democracy and egalitarianism
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Orostan » Mon May 04, 2020 10:03 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:I'm, of course, voting for no time skip. Mainly because nearly every polity hasn't even begun exploring the effects of the last time skip, so moving forward again seems mightly counterproductive. We still have plenty of talking to do about how Sumeria is fairing, the breakup of the Commonwealth, the European disasters, war in Egypt, the issues facing the Yellow River State, and more before I would feel comfortable considering a move forward.

I was wondering if you were going to use the Yellow River in an event in my territory. I've been thinking that a big early infrastructure project could be water control along the river.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon May 04, 2020 10:05 am

Joohan wrote:How have things changed culture wise? I imagine that constant wars have definitely shifted their initial outlooks on democracy and egalitarianism

Well, no, not really. Hostility against the Imperium - a monarchical power - reinforced Scandinavia’s faith in democracy and egalitarianism as things that make them different (and therefore superior) to the Continental Germans.

It’s just that now there is a big nationalist spin on the concept now. The ideal of the Upstanding Dignified Nordic Citizen(tm).

The Californian more or less has the gist of it; the Commonwealth doesn’t have enough of an economy or social institutions to make a properly capitalist economy even possible.
Last edited by Plzen on Mon May 04, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Mon May 04, 2020 10:06 am

Plzen wrote:
Joohan wrote:How have things changed culture wise? I imagine that constant wars have definitely shifted their initial outlooks on democracy and egalitarianism

Well, no, not really. Hostility against the Imperium - a monarchical power - reinforced Scandinavia’s faith in democracy and egalitarianism as things that make them different (and therefore superior) to the Continental Germans.

It’s just that now there is a big nationalist spin on the concept now. The ideal of the Upstanding Dignified Nordic Citizen(tm).

Critical Support to the Norse Struggle for Self-Determination against the Indo-European Menace

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Mon May 04, 2020 10:11 am

As for insight - I realized very early on - perhaps with my first author before I abandoned her - I do not have the physical ability just to write about my civilization from a cold, mechanical lens. Idk how yall do it - it amazes me - because the reams and reams of paper I need to fill to keep up posting quality leaves me uninspired with empire building. Ergo - I've found it most fun to engage in experiments of what ifs, wonder how the world would shape me if I lived in it, and debating philosophy with whoever I meet. I originally thought Olivia would be some sort of Arab nationalist queen Mauve type figure, but as I realized the cruelty needed to actually build an empire, and how drastically averse I am to violence and being a dick, I found it harder and harder to say she would become this figure who was successful in this time. Ultimately, therefore, I tried to work on my civ as if "success" was far different to map painting, or tech rushing (because I irl am a dumbass) - but instead to I guess a kind of self-cultivation where I make the people's lives as best as feasible, and play a flawed person trying to do that.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alaroma » Mon May 04, 2020 10:14 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:I'm, of course, voting for no time skip. Mainly because nearly every polity hasn't even begun exploring the effects of the last time skip, so moving forward again seems mightly counterproductive. We still have plenty of talking to do about how Sumeria is fairing, the breakup of the Commonwealth, the European disasters, war in Egypt, the issues facing the Yellow River State, and more before I would feel comfortable considering a move forward.

What’s going on in Egypt?
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon May 04, 2020 10:16 am

Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:As for insight - I realized very early on - perhaps with my first author before I abandoned her - I do not have the physical ability just to write about my civilization from a cold, mechanical lens. Idk how yall do it - it amazes me - because the reams and reams of paper I need to fill to keep up posting quality leaves me uninspired with empire building. Ergo - I've found it most fun to engage in experiments of what ifs, wonder how the world would shape me if I lived in it, and debating philosophy with whoever I meet. I originally thought Olivia would be some sort of Arab nationalist queen Mauve type figure, but as I realized the cruelty needed to actually build an empire, and how drastically averse I am to violence and being a dick, I found it harder and harder to say she would become this figure who was successful in this time. Ultimately, therefore, I tried to work on my civ as if "success" was far different to map painting, or tech rushing (because I irl am a dumbass) - but instead to I guess a kind of self-cultivation where I make the people's lives as best as feasible, and play a flawed person trying to do that.

The desert wearsthe strongest stone to sand. Beauty wrought from brutality, all things change.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon May 04, 2020 10:17 am

Alaroma wrote:

What’s going on in Egypt?

Siwan Emperot and the ISIS cult is becoming more complex in its ritual and clergy

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016

Postby Alaroma » Mon May 04, 2020 10:18 am

Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:As for insight - I realized very early on - perhaps with my first author before I abandoned her - I do not have the physical ability just to write about my civilization from a cold, mechanical lens. Idk how yall do it - it amazes me - because the reams and reams of paper I need to fill to keep up posting quality leaves me uninspired with empire building. Ergo - I've found it most fun to engage in experiments of what ifs, wonder how the world would shape me if I lived in it, and debating philosophy with whoever I meet. I originally thought Olivia would be some sort of Arab nationalist queen Mauve type figure, but as I realized the cruelty needed to actually build an empire, and how drastically averse I am to violence and being a dick, I found it harder and harder to say she would become this figure who was successful in this time. Ultimately, therefore, I tried to work on my civ as if "success" was far different to map painting, or tech rushing (because I irl am a dumbass) - but instead to I guess a kind of self-cultivation where I make the people's lives as best as feasible, and play a flawed person trying to do that.

Imagine being averse to violence, couldn’t be me.

Which is a hell of a tale considering IRL I’m very averse to state organized violence due to my religious leanings, but I can readily see me put that on the back burner without a few things, that being my support Community, my family, etc.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon May 04, 2020 10:18 am

Reatra wrote:
Plzen wrote:Well, no, not really. Hostility against the Imperium - a monarchical power - reinforced Scandinavia’s faith in democracy and egalitarianism as things that make them different (and therefore superior) to the Continental Germans.

Critical Support to the Norse Struggle for Self-Determination against the Indo-European Menace

Sounds like the beginning of Nordic racism. If anyone would have a justified prejudice, its them

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Mon May 04, 2020 10:20 am

I hella know wym, I will admit a lot of what I've written feels rushed or like it's only for the technology or whatever, but only because I couldn't type fast and long enough to fit in all my ideas in my head! I honestly wish I felt like I had the time to do the character development I wanted, but it feels like if I don't talk about how many experiments were done with iron or whatever that it will be rejected in the OOC and all the effort for nothing, etc.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Mon May 04, 2020 10:22 am

Joohan wrote:
Reatra wrote:

Sounds like the beginning of Nordic racism. If anyone would have a justified prejudice, its them

We'll see. Maybe chauvinism but I doubt the Commonwealth will be in any position to oppress Indo-Europeans (or, frankly, see them as anything like a united people. This is the era where every few kilometers is a different dialect, after all)

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Mon May 04, 2020 10:23 am

Reatra wrote:

I hella know wym, I will admit a lot of what I've written feels rushed or like it's only for the technology or whatever, but only because I couldn't type fast and long enough to fit in all my ideas in my head! I honestly wish I felt like I had the time to do the character development I wanted, but it feels like if I don't talk about how many experiments were done with iron or whatever that it will be rejected in the OOC and all the effort for nothing, etc.

I try and incorporate character development and technology. Whenever I'm doing something I try to have my author think a few things about it and wonder about the effects of it.

Reatra wrote: This is the era where every few kilometers is a different dialect, after all

Not if THE STATE has something to say about it!
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon May 04, 2020 10:27 am

Orostan wrote:
Reatra wrote:

I try and incorporate character development and technology. Whenever I'm doing something I try to have my author think a few things about it and wonder about the effects of it.

Reatra wrote: This is the era where every few kilometers is a different dialect, after all

What is the current state of... what are you guys called again?

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Mon May 04, 2020 10:29 am

Alaroma wrote:Imagine being averse to violence, couldn’t be me.

Which is a hell of a tale considering IRL I’m very averse to state organized violence due to my religious leanings, but I can readily see me put that on the back burner without a few things, that being my support Community, my family, etc.

Absofuckinglutely I get that. However I think what drew the line was the distinction between imposing violence on those not directly threatening you and self defense. I've had long philosophical discord chats with g on if expansionism and exploitation in our authors shoes are justified, and every time I keep falling back to - that even forcing neighboring villages to tributary states is unjustified - even if they would materially improve because of it. But then again the pressures of her society force her to a, make exceptions to the rule, and b, become needlessly cruel when she CAN justify it - such as killing wounded enemies who came to raid her town.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Mon May 04, 2020 10:30 am

Joohan wrote:
Orostan wrote:I try and incorporate character development and technology. Whenever I'm doing something I try to have my author think a few things about it and wonder about the effects of it.

kievan rus with slavic characteristics

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Mon May 04, 2020 10:32 am

Joohan wrote:
Orostan wrote:I try and incorporate character development and technology. Whenever I'm doing something I try to have my author think a few things about it and wonder about the effects of it.

The People's Government of China is developing basic iron industry and irrigation systems as well as maritime travel. I'm also going to be making public education a thing soon and turning the constitution from a rough outline of the state into an actual legal foundation for the government as well as starting the construction of a big government center that will take more than a year to complete.

In the RP time I've been using winter is starting right now so I will also probably be trying to develop a heating system for a few warehouses I might turn into communal kitchens as well.

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Mon May 04, 2020 10:36 am

Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:
Alaroma wrote:Imagine being averse to violence, couldn’t be me.

Absofuckinglutely I get that. However I think what drew the line was the distinction between imposing violence on those not directly threatening you and self defense. I've had long philosophical discord chats with g on if expansionism and exploitation in our authors shoes are justified, and every time I keep falling back to - that even forcing neighboring villages to tributary states is unjustified - even if they would materially improve because of it. But then again the pressures of her society force her to a, make exceptions to the rule, and b, become needlessly cruel when she CAN justify it - such as killing wounded enemies who came to raid her town.

Helllllllllllllllllllla, especially in this era, unless you somehow inherit the Kingdom of Egypt or whatever, you have no reason to want to start forming an empire except egomania lol. The vaaaaaast majority of the world doesn't have organized warfare or states or chauvinism beyond a village nextdoor, why would you form that yourself? etc etc

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 am

Orostan wrote:
Joohan wrote:

The People's Government of China is developing basic iron industry and irrigation systems as well as maritime travel. I'm also going to be making public education a thing soon and turning the constitution from a rough outline of the state into an actual legal foundation for the government as well as starting the construction of a big government center that will take more than a year to complete.

In the RP time I've been using winter is starting right now so I will also probably be trying to develop a heating system for a few warehouses I might turn into communal kitchens as well.

Why keep the name china?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 am

Reatra wrote:
Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:

Helllllllllllllllllllla, especially in this era, unless you somehow inherit the Kingdom of Egypt or whatever, you have no reason to want to start forming an empire except egomania lol. The vaaaaaast majority of the world doesn't have organized warfare or states or chauvinism beyond a village nextdoor, why would you form that yourself? etc etc

Well, duh.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon May 04, 2020 10:40 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Reatra wrote:

Well, duh.

Egomania is a great reason for doing things

nods

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon May 04, 2020 10:41 am

Lord Dominator wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Well, duh.

Egomania is a great reason for doing things

nods

Drag humanity kicking and screaming into a better world. Don't mind the highway paved with bodies behind us.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse