NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations (2nd Era, OOC, Always Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we carry on - ( comment what you voted after voting, THIS IS MANDATORY )

Poll ended at Mon May 11, 2020 5:40 am

1. Carry on in the year 2975
68%
2. Skip to the year 2970
14%
3. Skip to the year 2945
18%

Total votes : 22

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Europa Undivided » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:23 pm

Ralnis wrote:
Europa Undivided wrote:The Vitachi were actually going to stop using iron as they found it hella difficult to smelt it within a few days.

Then I found coal and invented a blast furnace, which also took a whole damn month.

How the hell does your character know how to do it let alone know where's iron deposits are?

1. A bloomery forge is pretty simple to make if you know the principle behind it.

2. I know where Russia's iron is because IRL me knows that the Tula Region South of Moscow has iron deposits.
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:25 pm

Europa Undivided wrote:
Ralnis wrote:How the hell does your character know how to do it let alone know where's iron deposits are?

1. A bloomery forge is pretty simple to make if you know the principle behind it.

2. I know where Russia's iron is because IRL me knows that the Tula Region South of Moscow has iron deposits.

And how does Bloomery translates to blast furnace?
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:28 pm

Ralnis wrote:
Europa Undivided wrote:1. A bloomery forge is pretty simple to make if you know the principle behind it.

And how does Bloomery translates to blast furnace?

I actually don't need a blast furnace to be able to smelt iron. A blast furnace is better, sure, but a bloomery can also get the job done, if not as good.
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis

Nuxipal
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nuxipal » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:34 pm

Europa Undivided wrote:
Ralnis wrote:How the hell does your character know how to do it let alone know where's iron deposits are?

1. The right type of bricks would be quite important to making that bloomery. And in a culture that was pre-copper age when you arrived, yeah. I don't think they'd be making Iron anytime soon even with your help.

2. Just because it has iron deposits irl today, does not mean it has accessible iron deposits on 3000 BCE. Remember, mining technology has advanced considerably to this point. Even in ~2000 years southern Russia's local population probably wouldn't have found every iron deposit we know about today. Sure you could help them find those deposits, but even then. Knowing exact locations and how deep you'd need to make the mine and the ability to keep the mines from collapsing at those depths. Those are the real problems you'd need to solve to smelt iron. I really feel most people shouldn't be sniffing this yet. Iron should be a rarity, even with author interventions.
National Information: http://kutath.weebly.com/

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Founded: May 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The GAmeTopians » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:40 pm

Nuxipal wrote:
Europa Undivided wrote:1. A bloomery forge is pretty simple to make if you know the principle behind it.

1. The right type of bricks would be quite important to making that bloomery. And in a culture that was pre-copper age when you arrived, yeah. I don't think they'd be making Iron anytime soon even with your help.

2. Just because it has iron deposits irl today, does not mean it has accessible iron deposits on 3000 BCE. Remember, mining technology has advanced considerably to this point. Even in ~2000 years southern Russia's local population probably wouldn't have found every iron deposit we know about today. Sure you could help them find those deposits, but even then. Knowing exact locations and how deep you'd need to make the mine and the ability to keep the mines from collapsing at those depths. Those are the real problems you'd need to solve to smelt iron. I really feel most people shouldn't be sniffing this yet. Iron should be a rarity, even with author interventions.

Meanwhile, Crete should already be in the bronze age when I drop. :p
Empire of Donner land wrote:EHEG don't stop for no one.
It's like your a prostitute and the RP is a truck. The truck don't stop.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:41 pm

Wysten wrote:Bort, when I write the books is ok if I fluff out minor elements of Hibernia such as rituals, prices, names of delegates, and others and just pass major additions by you?

Sure, as long as it doesn't conflict with anything I've written in the past. I'll let you know if that's the case though, so don't feel the need to constrain yourself.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:42 pm

Uh, no. I've looked it up and the area around Moscow has yielded bronze and copper tools dating from 3000 BC. They aren't pre-copper.

Wysten
Minister

Founded: Apr 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wysten » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:43 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:
Wysten wrote:Bort, when I write the books is ok if I fluff out minor elements of Hibernia such as rituals, prices, names of delegates, and others and just pass major additions by you?

Sure, as long as it doesn't conflict with anything I've written in the past. I'll let you know if that's the case though, so don't feel the need to constrain yourself.

Fantastic because I plan to write a quick little synopsis on everything save for Dublin.
Famous qoutes
"Half the battle is fought on the OOC forums"
~ Albert Tzu, 1984
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your signature!
GENERATION 15: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Wysten
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Wysten » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 pm

Quick story based question, should I write them out in one post or have a short half be about him visiting it and then writing about it or just keep the writing?
Famous qoutes
~ Albert Tzu, 1984
GENERATION 15: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kelmet » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:49 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:
Nuxipal wrote:

Meanwhile, Crete should already be in the bronze age when I drop. :p

Makes it a little harder to take control tho don't it?
Call me Kel
Captain US Army Intelligence

Co-OP and OP Experience

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Kelmet wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:Meanwhile, Crete should already be in the bronze age when I drop. :p

Makes it a little harder to take control tho don't it?

Meh. There are plenty of other advancements I can bring to the table with Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, and general modern knowledge.

Wysten
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Wysten » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:58 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:
Kelmet wrote:Makes it a little harder to take control tho don't it?

Meh. There are plenty of other advancements I can bring to the table with Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, and general modern knowledge.

With what infrastructure? The general problem with this RP I have seen save for a few peeps is that everyone is getting ahead of themselves. Focus on having a solid infrastructure, population, and government before trying to leap towards the Iron Age.
Famous qoutes
~ Albert Tzu, 1984

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Postby Kelmet » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:59 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:
Kelmet wrote:Makes it a little harder to take control tho don't it?

Going for more of a city state on an island thing or island spanning empire?
Call me Kel

Co-OP and OP Experience

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Postby Kelmet » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:00 pm

Wysten wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:Meh. There are plenty of other advancements I can bring to the table with Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, and general modern knowledge.

With what infrastructure? The general problem with this RP I have seen save for a few peeps is that everyone is getting ahead of themselves. Focus on having a solid infrastructure, population, and government before trying to leap towards the Iron Age.

This
Call me Kel

Co-OP and OP Experience

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:01 pm

Wysten wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:Meh. There are plenty of other advancements I can bring to the table with Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, and general modern knowledge.

I agree. But how I eventually take control will be with those unique advancements - I don't need to be in charge to build infrastructure, just need to take my time and build relationships with people.

Kelmet wrote:

Going for more of a city state on an island thing or island spanning empire?

First the former, then the latter.

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016

Postby Orostan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:06 pm

Europa Undivided wrote:
Ralnis wrote:And how does Bloomery translates to blast furnace?

I actually don't need a blast furnace to be able to smelt iron. A blast furnace is better, sure, but a bloomery can also get the job done, if not as good.

lol no it can't

A blast furnace is way more efficient than that.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 pm

Wysten wrote:

I have been doing some research and what I see is that Russia and Ukraine had advanced cultures centuries before 3,000 BC. There's a series of advanced townships dotted around the Ural Steppes, and the Moscow area has shown artifacts that put whoever lived there were already well into the Bronze Age.

I think I just have to continue improving on infra and grow the population; the federation that I have right now works well the way it is right now.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:12 pm

Orostan wrote:
Europa Undivided wrote:I actually don't need a blast furnace to be able to smelt iron. A blast furnace is better, sure, but a bloomery can also get the job done, if not as good.

lol no it can't

It can. It's just less efficient.

(Don't worry I'll make blast furnaces in 10 years)

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:14 pm

Wysten wrote:

And those who have done it are those who are the current world powers.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:16 pm

Europa Undivided wrote:
Orostan wrote:lol no it can't

It can. It's just less efficient.

A bloomery makes iron, but making large quantities is going to be very hard and will take a long time.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Kafair
Envoy

Founded: Apr 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kafair » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:22 pm

Tries understanding what any of this is while failing miserably

Anyone got like, a very simple explanation or some tips on how to get started beyond just making a char? Looking to join but seriously not sure if I am very well suited to this kind of thing.
"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood." -Otto von Bismarck, first Chancellor of Germany
"History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce." -Karl Marx
"History is written by the victors." -Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------|--------------------------------------------^--------------------------------------
--------O-----------------------------------------< O >------------------------------------
--------|-----------------------------------------\_[]__/-----------------------------------
IRL History Buff, More or Less just the Desert, nation is a Theocratic Monarchy, in which the word of the Sultan is law. PMT tech
I SUPPORT THE USE OF SWORDS IN MY MILITARY, DEAL WITH IT
The first president of the Azure Watester Federation! Join today!
NS Stats? Dont make me laugh!
NationStates Flag Bracket - 5th place!

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:26 pm

Orostan wrote:
Europa Undivided wrote:It can. It's just less efficient.

A bloomery makes iron, but making large quantities is going to be very hard and will take a long time.

I know

That's why we make many bloomeries.

But of course, civilian application is the current priority for the next few years. Waging war is a waste.
Last edited by Europa Undivided on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:27 pm

Kafair wrote:Tries understanding what any of this is while failing miserably

Anyone got like, a very simple explanation or some tips on how to get started beyond just making a char? Looking to join but seriously not sure if I am very well suited to this kind of thing.

The character should know everything you do and apart from that can be as similar to how you are in real life or as different as you want, provided they don't know things you don't know of course.

If you don't think that you are able to start up your own civilization I advise you to join an existing civilization, possibly my Chinese civilization. But being from the 21st century your character should be able to introduce numerous innovations even in the most primitive parts of the world.

Europa Undivided wrote:
Orostan wrote:A bloomery makes iron, but making large quantities is going to be very hard and will take a long time.

I know

That will take an enormous amount of labor, do you have the people to do that?

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Kafair
Envoy

Founded: Apr 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kafair » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:29 pm

Orostan wrote:

The character should know everything you do and apart from that can be as similar to how you are in real life or as different as you want, provided they don't know things you don't know of course.

If you don't think that you are able to start up your own civilization I advise you to join an existing civilization, possibly my Chinese civilization. But being from the 21st century your character should be able to introduce numerous innovations even in the most primitive parts of the world.

Europa Undivided wrote:I know

We are like a stupidly far back, so most (if any) of the historical stuff I do now wont do too much, so joining a civilization would be my best bet. Anything important (char aside) I should keep in mind before jumping in? Also, can my char not know anything I dont know IRL? And how does age work (needs to be my age?)
Last edited by Kafair on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood." -Otto von Bismarck, first Chancellor of Germany
"History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce." -Karl Marx
"History is written by the victors." -Winston Churchill
--------|--------------------------------------------^--------------------------------------
--------O-----------------------------------------< O >------------------------------------
--------|-----------------------------------------\_[]__/-----------------------------------
IRL History Buff, More or Less just the Desert, nation is a Theocratic Monarchy, in which the word of the Sultan is law. PMT tech
I SUPPORT THE USE OF SWORDS IN MY MILITARY, DEAL WITH IT
The first president of the Azure Watester Federation! Join today!
NS Stats? Dont make me laugh!
NationStates Flag Bracket - 5th place!

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Orostan wrote:

Europa Undivided wrote:I know

Enough to make enough to make enough tools for the farmers and builders in three settlements.

My population is past 10,000. I'm pretty sure that's enough to make a few forges in the larger settlements, no?
Last edited by Europa Undivided on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse