NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations (2nd Era, OOC, Always Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we carry on - ( comment what you voted after voting, THIS IS MANDATORY )

Poll ended at Mon May 11, 2020 5:40 am

1. Carry on in the year 2975
68%
2. Skip to the year 2970
14%
3. Skip to the year 2945
18%

Total votes : 22

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:51 am

Alaroma wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:Honestly most people in the modern day probably agree with this sentiment to some extent. Though the various interventions of the late 20th, and 21st century have undoubtedly left a bad taste in the mouths of some, it's common sense that a state acting outside the reasonable expectations of the international community is not inherently protected by the concept of sovereignty. The issue here is that there is no international community to regulate the situation via treaties and accepted decorum.

Pat most certainly agrees with the stance Viktor's posited, but he's also afraid of the Imperium using injustice as a blank check to act as it pleases. There aren't many states willing and able to step up and say "You're right, but you can't do it this way" to Viktor right now. In fact, it's probably just Hibernia. I'm still not sure what I intend to actually do, but the situation is a zero sum gain, so nothing isn't a viable option. Plzen and I like to throw shade each others way a lot, but we both agree on the power of precedent.

Well it’s all about what precedent, isn’t it? If she gets away with this, and someday later an author looks at a particular minority group it doesn’t like in full view of other authors and nations, and decides “You know what? Genocide is badass.” And starts slaughtering innocents. So ultimately the case is “what is the worse precedent?”

Lesser of two evils is an argument made by people either A. Too lazy to work out a proper solution, or B. Pulling for one side already.

Both set absolutely horrific precedents. The oppression of individual liberties is not a sovereign right, nor is casus belli determined by how morally justified you feel when you give the marching orders. The Imperium may have good intentions, but without something stipulating the bounds of those intentions, nothing's stopping them from becoming progressively more liberal in their interpretation of when there is a reasonable justification to intervene in the politics of others.

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:we both agree on the power of precedent.

Precedent: Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

Edit: It is pretty amusing to me, really, since I had intended for Viktor to be a villain via pragmatism. But my immediate neighbors have all apparently decided to be even more villainous and even less pragmatic, which leaves the Imperium looking good in comparison.

Stories are made better by a sympathetic victim who has, you know, logical reasons for doing what they're doing. It's fun writing out Pat's thoughts on the Imperium because he knows they're a threat, and has blatant proof of Viktor's willingness to meddle in the spheres and affairs of others, often with military force. But by that same extension, he likes Viktor. He's a bit full of himself, but their correspondences have been amicable, and the Imperium has shown a willingness to cooperate with Hibernia in stopping the nascent pirate cabals of the Atlantic coastline. Having a villainous character just for the sake of being evil is perfectly fine if written well, but I think most people who've tried that have fit into the warlord mentality we discussed earlier.

Khasinkonia wrote:Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to join this rp. Thanks for the help y'all. Best wishes and luck.

If you change you're mind, you're always welcome back!

... Seriously Ireland could really use an actual doctor
Last edited by Bortslovakia on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:59 am

Edit: It is pretty amusing to me, really, since I had intended for Viktor to be a villain via pragmatism. But my immediate neighbors have all apparently decided to be even more villainous and even less pragmatic, which leaves the Imperium looking good in comparison.

Its actually why I wanted to join the Imperium tbh. I love the morally grey. Pats Hibernia is to friendly, and Icedonia is to open to hardcore beliefs, Commonwealth has obvious reasons why I wouldn't go there.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:26 pm

Yeah I was about to say "who's talking about justice?" lol

but for some reason your immediate neighbors have decided that the only way to beat the big oppressive empire and its steel hordes is uh... trying to do the same thing but less efficiently...

That said, I would be incredibly supportive of you engaging in a never-ending pacification war against Commonwealth partisans.
yee haw it's time for mass line

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Europa Undivided » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:07 pm

Europa Undivided wrote:Author Applicaiton
Name: Nikolai Aleksandr Sapohznik (Just call him Sasha)
Height and Weight: 5'8"
Skin, hair, and eye description: Nikolai has the fair skin typical to people of Slavic descent, though he has the black hair that his mixed Levantine heritage grants. His eyes are a dim grey.
Picture:

Prior Profession: College Student
Level of education: He finished bachelors in Psychology and was in his second year for Journalism He also had crash courses in Business Administration. It should also be noted that he knows a TON of history and practical science due to self education and YouTube.
Physique description: It can be said that Nikolai won the genetic lottery; he doesn't need to workout too much to maintain his form (which is not super impressive either, mind you). He isn't particularly a heavy lifter, but he compensates with the mind that he has.
Useful skills: He has a great stock of knowledge in practical science, which means he pretty much knows how to make concoctions like gunpowder and cement (not that he can do it himself, he just knows the procedures) Also, his knowledge of administration and history lets him govern quite well, along with (very shaky given that the history of the world will be shaped by authors) being able to predict what will happen in the future.

National Origin: American; fourth generation Russian Jewish immigrant.
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: He was writing the next chapter in his book entitled "Never Forget", a collection of interviews on multiple Holocaust survivors that he spoke to. He was making it into a novel.
Description of personality: Nikolai is a clever joker, perhaps best known for his love of memes on history and science. He has many strange interests, and is seen as strange as a result. However, he is also a flaunter of his superior intellect and looks down on those that don't understand in his level, giving him a mixed reputation. Still, he is ostensibly caring and defensive for those he sees as a friend or as equals, but other people that are not as close don't receive the same treatment, and may even be seen with contempt if they had assaulted him in the past.
Where in the world are you landing?: Near modern day Moscow, Russia.

Autobiography/Biography: Nikolai Sapohznik was born in New York City as the first child of Piotr Andreevich Sapohznik and Isabella Clark. He had two siblings after himself: Grigory and Catherine. Growing up, he proved himself to be especially intelligent in the sciences, though he was a no show in the arts (except for singing, he's a crazy good tenor, as well as the piano). He was homeschooled due to his asthmatic tendencies, and as a result finished junior high school in just two years instead of the standard four years. At age 16, he entered college in New York, where he excelled in general and finished at age twenty. It was in his second course that he met the love of his life; a girl by the name of Elizabeth Turner. What's more is that she was his first and last, and in their junior year he finally proposed to her while being surrounded by their friends and some professors, to which she said yes. It should be noted, however, that Nikolai is, for the lack of a better word, a pretty conservative person, and he pretty much forbade Elizabeth from night life. This produced some... Let's say, friction between them as they neared graduation, but Elizabeth would see that her boyfriend's thinking is for the best. As all of this went on, he spent most of his free time learning about things that most people wouldn't consider useful.

What are your intentions for this RP, what's the long term goal?: To create a unified Slav nation stretching from Russia to Poland down to Bulgaria. Never mind that they haven't migrated to most of those places yet; these lands will be ours given enough time.
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?: The peoples of Eastern Europe, of course. Oh, and the Levant.
Why did you choose to land where you did?: Düring the days of the Russian Empire, his ancestors lived near Krakow, and when anti-Jewish persecution heightened under the czarist regime, that is when they fled to America.
What vibe should we get from your civilization and it's culture?: Take Russia and Poland and make them convert to Judaism (ala Khazar Khaganate). Also make them convert to Christianity when the time comes.
What are your character's motivations?: He knows most of the events that would eventually transpire in history, and when the time comes, he wishes for Eastern Europe to be a powerful safe haven for the Jews while the rest of the world persecutes them.
Theme Song?: One Million Voices by Two Steps from Hell
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?:

(Yes, I entered college at age 16, homeschooling has its perks)

So does this work fine now?
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:16 pm

Let me tell you guys - as someone from the midwest, I had assumed that the South would be... warmer in the winter! That assumption, was horribly wrong. As two winters in the south have taught me, things down in dixie are not any warmer, they're just wetter! I've got this running theory that all of America is just secretly the exact same miserable climate goldilocks of unbearable heat and and absolutely dreadful winters.

3 days, in the field, 30 degrees, rained ever second, constant wind - no sun. We were in that perfect goldilocks zone of it being too warm for the oceans of mud around us to start freezing, but still too cold for the water to evaporate. It was just whole fields of... half melted chocolate ice cream. Got back to company, take a whiff of myself among some pleasant aroma's for reference - straight cheetos and ass. If y'all ever feel like my posts about soldering and war in the IC never seem to be all that glorious or fun - that's cause it's not 90% of the time!

So glad to be back...
Last edited by Joohan on Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Anyways, i'm going to be taking a look through what I have missed since my departure. If anything pressing needs to be addressed, please bring it here now or just TG me.

I see Bort's let the cat out the bag ( Dusk Union word up )

I would like to say that events are coming - mainly targeted towards the more developed civilizations of the world. Inspired by some enlightening Tg's from Reatra, the theme of this timeskip's events is, CONSEQUENCES! Rapid expansion breeds rapid problems, and uncontrolled expansion leads to unforseen chaos. If you're a veteran Author, this is not going to be a fun time skip for you. If you're new and or semi-new, now's the time to catch up!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:27 pm

Joohan wrote:I would like to say that events are coming - mainly targeted towards the more developed civilizations of the world. Inspired by some enlightening Tg's from Reatra, the theme of this timeskip's events is, CONSEQUENCES! Rapid expansion breeds rapid problems, and uncontrolled expansion leads to unforseen chaos. If you're a veteran Author, this is not going to be a fun time skip for you. If you're new and or semi-new, now's the time to catch up!

Excellent, excellent. I look forward to getting some value out of Viktor's less flashy posts.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:32 pm

Looking forward to some consequences. Need to work on that bureaucracy. We might need to use that irritant gas soon as well as those Hands helpers who watch the population quietly. Should have a post up soon with Aksum.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016

Postby Alaroma » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:38 pm

The mighty J is back.

Speaking of, J, hows the concept art going?
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:42 pm

Alaroma wrote:The mighty J is back.

Still need y'alls author details. The artist is very interested though.

In case yall didn't hear - found an artist on fiver, pretty good from what i've seen, and they've agreed to do a picture for us.

It was decided that the first bit to fill our gallery ( oh yeah, wiki coming this weekend ), should be a kind of group photo ( what all we're doing is still yet to be determined ). I asked yall to tg me what your author should look like, and the vibe they give off - as well as any other picture ideas.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:43 pm

Joohan wrote:
Alaroma wrote:The mighty J is back.

In case yall didn't hear - found an artist on fiver, pretty good from what i've seen, and they've agreed to do a picture for us.

It was decided that the first bit to fill our gallery ( oh yeah, wiki coming this weekend ), should be a kind of group photo ( what all we're doing is still yet to be determined ). I asked yall to tg me what your author should look like, and the vibe they give off - as well as any other picture ideas.

You’ve heard my first batch, and believe me I have a good deal more. Especially for Aksumite life, but I have headcannon for other people here.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Alaroma wrote:
Joohan wrote:

You’ve heard my first batch, and believe me I have a good deal more. Especially for Aksumite life, but I have headcannon for other people here.

I am actually very interested - do tell.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:54 pm

Also, did Ralnis finally kill Luther off?! I know he's talked about it for a while, but i've yet to read the IC. Is that legit?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Joohan wrote:Also, did Ralnis finally kill Luther off?! I know he's talked about it for a while, but i've yet to read the IC. Is that legit?

Nah. I'll TG you. We had a good chat.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:10 pm

I look a little bit like Seuthes III so the bust of his head could be used. Victor Spear would be black hair and a red and black beard. Add someone who is 5'8" and broad in the shoulders. He would be of medium build as the rich food of his world would not be as available and he would encouraged to walk a lot, exercise on the tricycle and in the gymnasia as an example to his people. He would enthusiastically and terribly practice the upright way on occasion. His upper body is bigger than his lower body and he has medium sized hands.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Alaroma wrote:

This is my new concept art.

Modern Aksumite Royal Guard equipment, left is Aolis, right is Crown Prince Aklilu.

I didn't realize until now that... you were the one painting these! I thought you just found those neat pictures on like Deviant art or something.

Guys!... we've got an artist!

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:26 pm

Joohan wrote:
Alaroma wrote:You’ve heard my first batch, and believe me I have a good deal more. Especially for Aksumite life, but I have headcannon for other people here.

I am actually very interested - do tell.

Well, I tend to think about other civilizations from an Aksumite point of view, and what they might find strange. Usually from the point of view of merchants.

Sumer: A Merchant being argued over by Sumerians for his soap.

Nestos: Anither Aksumite shocked by the aggressive intellectual debate in one of the halls.

Icedonia: I can imagine some dude regretting his life as all of his wives and daughters gang up on him to tell him off over something.

Commonwealth: I imagine increasingly rowdy Parlimentary sessions, with the occasional guy getting beat with a cane half to death.

Olivia: She’s gardening. That’s it.

Imperium: I imagine Victor working on some obscure new project with a group of his trusted workers while his wife bringing in something for him to eat

Aksum: I just imagine Andrew overlooking a field of workers, Sytche in hand, as he’s talking to Genbe or Emmanuel about the season harvest. At a nearby tree, two Aksumite Royal Guardsmen can be seen practicing with wooden swords. On a walkway in the opposite direction, Aksumite women have baskets full of goods on their hips and carry them off to carts or something.

Berbers: I imagine Gauhkner feverishly looking at the holy book she wrote, and trying to get more understanding of Isis, it’s late at night, and the only light is a candle.
-Nuverkikstan

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:26 pm

Courtesy of a pleasantly unexpected telegram conversation with Joohan, we've figured out a way to make a workable and nearly fully accurate app, so I retract my previous statement, and will be applying in due time. Given that I am not currently a doctor, I'm afraid I can't offer that resource to anyone, but I can offer a teenager who adores fiddling with writing systems, if anyone's still interested in new blood.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:27 pm

Joohan wrote:
Alaroma wrote:

This is my new concept art.

Modern Aksumite Royal Guard equipment, left is Aolis, right is Crown Prince Aklilu.

I didn't realize until now that... you were the one painting these! I thought you just found those neat pictures on like Deviant art or something.

Oh fuck misunderstanding! A friend drew this for me! But yes, these are Aksumite Royal Guard (and actual characters too.)
-Nuverkikstan

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:27 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:Courtesy of a pleasantly unexpected telegram conversation with Joohan, we've figured out a way to make a workable and nearly fully accurate app, so I retract my previous statement, and will be applying in due time. Given that I am not currently a doctor, I'm afraid I can't offer that resource to anyone, but I can offer a teenager who adores fiddling with writing systems, if anyone's still interested in new blood.

I mean you’re always welcome in Aksum Khas, but you know that.
-Nuverkikstan

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:30 pm

Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:
Ralnis wrote:You bring gunpowder knowledge to Ur, we give you free refuge. How's that sound?

You lot let us spread our faith undeterred and I'm playing with two authors just for you my dude, deal?
That means I drop Philip over with his merry band of exiles.

I'm sorry, did you actually wind up developing gunpowder? I don't remeber that from your posts, and i'm pretty sure I or G said no to that? Could you link me the post where you developed it?

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:30 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:Courtesy of a pleasantly unexpected telegram conversation with Joohan, we've figured out a way to make a workable and nearly fully accurate app, so I retract my previous statement, and will be applying in due time. Given that I am not currently a doctor, I'm afraid I can't offer that resource to anyone, but I can offer a teenager who adores fiddling with writing systems, if anyone's still interested in new blood.

Come to Arabia! We have friendship
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:32 pm

Go to Haida Gwaii we need written Haida pls.

Joohan wrote:
Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:You lot let us spread our faith undeterred and I'm playing with two authors just for you my dude, deal?
That means I drop Philip over with his merry band of exiles.

I'm sorry, did you actually wind up developing gunpowder? I don't remeber that from your posts, and i'm pretty sure I or G said no to that? Could you link me the post where you developed it?

My dude hasn't invented powder, he only has the gunpowder knowledge. Meaning Ralnis is just dragging me over to Ur so I can be his science advisor or something in exchange for missionary freedom.
Former Foreign Minister of the Federation of Allies.
Formerly [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], 8000 combined what the heck.

egg

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:32 pm

So I heard you like Autocracy...

Care to join the most, Orderly, nation in the world?

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:34 pm

Alaroma wrote:
Joohan wrote:

Oh fuck misunderstanding! A friend drew this for me! But yes, these are Aksumite Royal Guard (and actual characters too.)

Yeah, I remeber posting that then reading a few posts down... and just being so dissappointed... you make me sad alamora...

But yeah, the big authors are gonna get messed up over this time skip. Now's the chance for Aksum to rise as the Constantinople of Africa.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse