NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations (2nd Era, OOC, Always Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we carry on - ( comment what you voted after voting, THIS IS MANDATORY )

Poll ended at Mon May 11, 2020 5:40 am

1. Carry on in the year 2975
68%
2. Skip to the year 2970
14%
3. Skip to the year 2945
18%

Total votes : 22

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:16 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:I mean, unless you stir up trouble, you should be able to survive. Having nothing to your name gives you the luxury of not being worthwhile to kill. Better to make you a slave, then to outright kill you. You got immortality to keep you from aging, immunity from diseases, and the access of modern knowledge. The only way I can see you dying right away, is if you land in some strange wilderness or plop in the Commonwealth.

To be honest, the Commonwealth is probably better than most for a trans person, or any other obvious physical oddness that draws attention.

One of the raisons d'être of the Committee of Public Security is to put a lid on instinctive popular reactions like “kill the demon-spawn” that primitive communities might be prone to.

And the Committee is on the lookout for people who claim to come from far and unknown places bearing strange and esoteric knowledge...

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:17 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:To be clear, I'm trans, which means dropping me as I am now into the ancient world would be a right seppuku sentence.

depends on where, and I'm pretty sure we've had a trans author who's on the Red Sea in a little village rn
yee haw it's time for mass line

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:I mean, unless you stir up trouble, you should be able to survive. Having nothing to your name gives you the luxury of not being worthwhile to kill. Better to make you a slave, then to outright kill you. You got immortality to keep you from aging, immunity from diseases, and the access of modern knowledge. The only way I can see you dying right away, is if you land in some strange wilderness or plop in the Commonwealth.

Again, not to be morbid so much as accurate, but what I'm saying as that earnest 100%-me-right-now me would be the greatest threat to herself. So I just want to be sure that the 15 years thing or some other substituting embellishment would be acceptable.

Quick edit:
I am not currently suicidal, but in the circumstances given, I absolutely would be given my current state, hence my bringing up the stuff about embellishment

Hmm, to each their own.

There are plenty of ways to prevent and even stopping that scenario, but as long as G or Joohan are ok with aged up characters, I'm ok with it.

I actually do intend to tackle this topic for my own character later. Telling yourself this is all a dream due to being in a long term coma, is merely a unhealthy form of denial.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:19 pm

Reatra wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:To be clear, I'm trans, which means dropping me as I am now into the ancient world would be a right seppuku sentence.

depends on where, and I'm pretty sure we've had a trans author who's on the Red Sea in a little village rn

the trans part isn't so much of a concern as is that 16yo me is not currently on hormonal therapy, which means for me to be viable i have to embellish in some way, shape, or form.

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:19 pm

Reatra wrote:

Hey uhh California man did you make any stops in the Pacific NW on your way to California?
Former Foreign Minister of the Federation of Allies.
Formerly [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], 8000 combined what the heck.

egg

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Plzen wrote:

To be honest, the Commonwealth is probably better than most for a trans person, or any other obvious physical oddness that draws attention.

One of the raisons d'être of the Committee of Public Security is to put a lid on instinctive popular reactions like “kill the demon-spawn” that primitive communities might be prone to.

And the Committee is on the lookout for people who claim to come from far and unknown places bearing strange and esoteric knowledge...

Oh I didn't mean it in that respect. I was merely giving a light jab over the Commonwealth's more questionable policies. It was Icedonia or you to be the object of my jesting.
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:21 pm

Clara differs from myself in a few ways, some stark and some subtle, and I never made that a secret. Clearly the OP is fine with author characters being different from your roleplaying self and having different skills and aptitudes.

I think, however, in the absence of an OP who can allow exceptions, we should not allow author characters that are unambiguously more capable than the OOC selves of the roleplayers representing them. Characters may be different, but not better.

This includes things like education you don’t have yet, social maturity above your age, etc. If you give your character something you don’t have, take away something of equivalent value.
Last edited by Plzen on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:23 pm

Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:
Reatra wrote:

Hey uhh California man did you make any stops in the Pacific NW on your way to California?

Yes, but didn't have time to do too much as I was rushing to California lol. But I spent some time going around the Puget Sound on a lil reed canoe and a primitive reed sail... so maybe that's stuck around in the area, and maybe some basic horticulture but tbh those folks had more than enough food from fishing.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:23 pm

Plzen wrote:Clara differs from myself in a few ways, some stark and some subtle, and I never made that a secret. Clearly the OP is fine with author characters being different from your roleplaying self and having different skills and aptitudes.

I think, however, in the absence of an OP who can allow exceptions, we should not allow author characters that are unambiguously more capable than the OOC selves of the roleplayers representing them. Characters may be different, but not better.

This includes things like education you don’t have yet, social maturity above your age, etc.

Which raises the question of, in order for my author to be viable, I'm going to need to sacrifice some biographical accuracy or pull a future iteration, and I'm asking if either is acceptable, because otherwise I wouldn't apply for reasons previously mentioned.
Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:Again, not to be morbid so much as accurate, but what I'm saying as that earnest 100%-me-right-now me would be the greatest threat to herself. So I just want to be sure that the 15 years thing or some other substituting embellishment would be acceptable.

Quick edit:
I am not currently suicidal, but in the circumstances given, I absolutely would be given my current state, hence my bringing up the stuff about embellishment

Hmm, to each their own.

There are plenty of ways to prevent and even stopping that scenario, but as long as G or Joohan are ok with aged up characters, I'm ok with it.

I actually do intend to tackle this topic for my own character later. Telling yourself this is all a dream due to being in a long term coma, is merely a unhealthy form of denial.

I'm trying to be accurate while also picking an iteration of my self that would not institute my contingency protocols, which means I want to ask these questions given the commentary on Europa's application.

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:24 pm

Reatra wrote:
Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:Hey uhh California man did you make any stops in the Pacific NW on your way to California?

Yes, but didn't have time to do too much as I was rushing to California lol. But I spent some time going around the Puget Sound on a lil reed canoe and a primitive reed sail... so maybe that's stuck around in the area, and maybe some basic horticulture but tbh those folks had more than enough food from fishing.

Intriguing, so there will be really rare and vague stories of some odd stranger on a boat passing by.
Also wanna be trade partners in the future, we have uh...
Fish

egg

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019

Postby Europa Undivided » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:27 pm

Shall I make it a college student that watches obscenely huge amounts of history and science videos then? Because that is me.
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
Reatra wrote:

the trans part isn't so much of a concern as is that 16yo me is not currently on hormonal therapy, which means for me to be viable i have to embellish in some way, shape, or form.

hm. well yeah, that's something the previous author had to deal with as well. well, if it makes you feel better, while idk about specifically being trans (although i don't see why not), but generally a lot of stuff we consider not to be cis, like being born intersex or being genderqueer, was more visible and sometimes celebrated in many pre-state societies. Like I said, it depends on where.

But I know wym, it'd be nicer to write about being back in time without having to deal with that too.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Europa Undivided wrote:Shall I make it a college student that watches obscenely huge amounts of history and science videos then? Because that is me.

Frankly, yeah that should be it, or, they could be different than you in some ways, but they shouldn't be, like Plzen said, more capable.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:29 pm

Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:
Reatra wrote:

Intriguing, so there will be really rare and vague stories of some odd stranger on a boat passing by.
Fish

Sure, as long as you don't plan on like, doing some edgy "making an empire" shit. Stuff's hella played out.

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Orostan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:29 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
Plzen wrote:Clara differs from myself in a few ways, some stark and some subtle, and I never made that a secret. Clearly the OP is fine with author characters being different from your roleplaying self and having different skills and aptitudes.

This includes things like education you don’t have yet, social maturity above your age, etc.

Which raises the question of, in order for my author to be viable, I'm going to need to sacrifice some biographical accuracy or pull a future iteration, and I'm asking if either is acceptable, because otherwise I wouldn't apply for reasons previously mentioned.
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Hmm, to each their own.

I'm trying to be accurate while also picking an iteration of my self that would not institute my contingency protocols, which means I want to ask these questions given the commentary on Europa's application.

I don't see any problem with writing yourself as slightly different than you are now, so long as it doesn't make yourself over powered or anything like that. I don't think it was ever a requirement that you had to write your character as yourself exactly.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019

Postby Europa Undivided » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:30 pm

Reatra wrote:
Europa Undivided wrote:Shall I make it a college student that watches obscenely huge amounts of history and science videos then? Because that is me.

Frankly, yeah that should be it, or, they could be different than you in some ways, but they shouldn't be, like Plzen said, more capable.

I will make edits then.
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:31 pm

Reatra wrote:

If capability is more of the issue than embellishment in general, then there are a few tweaks that I can make that can make me into a viable author. Again, I'm asking of the OP whether, given that being 100% accurate leads to a character that is unviable for reasons unrelated to skill levels, it would be preferable to embellish a few key bio details, or go with a projection of one's future self.
Reatra wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:the trans part isn't so much of a concern as is that 16yo me is not currently on hormonal therapy, which means for me to be viable i have to embellish in some way, shape, or form.

hm. well yeah, that's something the previous author had to deal with as well. well, if it makes you feel better, while idk about specifically being trans (although i don't see why not), but generally a lot of stuff we consider not to be cis, like being born intersex or being genderqueer, was more visible and sometimes celebrated in many pre-state societies. Like I said, it depends on where.

But I know wym, it'd be nicer to write about being back in time without having to deal with that too.

Yeah, pre-HRT me is simply not a viable author because I come hardwired with an self-destruct button for such a circumstance.

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 pm

Reatra wrote:
Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:Intriguing, so there will be really rare and vague stories of some odd stranger on a boat passing by.
Fish

Sure, as long as you don't plan on like, doing some edgy "making an empire" shit. Stuff's hella played out.

This nigga gonna be preserving languages by the hundreds.
And maybe make some confederacy to help with that.

egg

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
Reatra wrote:

If capability is more of the issue than embellishment in general, then there are a few tweaks that I can make that can make me into a viable author. Again, I'm asking of the OP whether, given that being 100% accurate leads to a character that is unviable for reasons unrelated to skill levels, it would be preferable to embellish a few key bio details, or go with a projection of one's future self.
Reatra wrote:hm. well yeah, that's something the previous author had to deal with as well. well, if it makes you feel better, while idk about specifically being trans (although i don't see why not), but generally a lot of stuff we consider not to be cis, like being born intersex or being genderqueer, was more visible and sometimes celebrated in many pre-state societies. Like I said, it depends on where.

Yeah, pre-HRT me is simply not a viable author because I come hardwired with an self-destruct button for such a circumstance.

You could play as a you which was born the gender you want to be. I don't think there would be a problem with that.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:33 pm

Reatra wrote:

As long as that's certainly the case, I can work with that. I've just been trying to get a clear answer for reasons I think I've repeated ad-nauseum.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:33 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:Which raises the question of, in order for my author to be viable, I'm going to need to sacrifice some biographical accuracy or pull a future iteration, and I'm asking if either is acceptable, because otherwise I wouldn't apply for reasons previously mentioned.

Sacrificing biographical accuracy is definitely acceptable.

To put it this way, I deliberately randomised Clara’s biographical information so that who she is doesn’t give away too much about who I am. I preserved the core of the kind of person I am and the upbringing that I have received, but the details were either left to chance or just plain made up.

If the RNG rolled differently it could have just as easily have been a Scotsman Jasper Rose with a secondary education in China.
Last edited by Plzen on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:33 pm

Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:
Reatra wrote:

This nigga gonna be preserving languages by the hundreds.
And maybe make some confederacy to help with that.

That reminds me, will we be able to understand any written language we look at?

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:34 pm

I personally presumed a bit of fudging was allowed on the apps, just that you shouldn't be making your character incredibly more competent - for example, if you're in high-school, fudging that a bit to having graduated. Dunno entirely though, just my perspective on that.

Edit: As in, like Junior/Senior year kind of thing, not the whole shebang
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:snip.

I would have to say that Plzen take is probably the best one around. Biographical accuracy can be sacrificed as long as there is no inherent benefit (IE stunningly good looks rather then average, etc). Afraid to say, future iteration brings with it a slew of new benefits. If you feel compelled to make your biology different, have at it. Just no god-tier looks, and anything of that sort.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Plzen wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:Which raises the question of, in order for my author to be viable, I'm going to need to sacrifice some biographical accuracy or pull a future iteration, and I'm asking if either is acceptable, because otherwise I wouldn't apply for reasons previously mentioned.

Sacrificing biographical accuracy is definitely acceptable.

To put it this way, I deliberately randomised Clara’s biographical information so that who she is doesn’t give away too much about who I am. I preserved the core of the kind of person I am and the upbringing that I have received, but the details were left to chance.

If the RNG rolled differently it could have just as easily have been a Scotsman Jasper Rose with a secondary education in China.

Actually, that raises the question:
Instead of editing the biography, would it be acceptable to instead slightly tweak the terms of the immortality such that, in waking up in 3000BCE, my author has a body acceptable to them. That way the skills and bio stay intact, but the key issue is resolved. I'm sorry to raise as much of a fuss as I have, but I'm trying to see the best way to make this a clean injection.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse