NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations (2nd Era, OOC, Always Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we carry on - ( comment what you voted after voting, THIS IS MANDATORY )

Poll ended at Mon May 11, 2020 5:40 am

1. Carry on in the year 2975
68%
2. Skip to the year 2970
14%
3. Skip to the year 2945
18%

Total votes : 22

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:51 am

Plzen wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:Come to Ireland! Unlike everyone else, we're actually not terrible.

Be a monarchy
Be “not terrible”

Sure, sure... we’ll pretend to believe that. You don’t actually shine, you just look bright because we have this stark blackness of Icedonian and Imperial autocracy to frame you with.

The Commonwealth is the only beacon for the voice of the people!

Shatter the Crowns!

Join the quasi monarchal settlement in Arabia - we aren't terrible AND we're not warmongers
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:57 am

Plzen wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:Come to Ireland! Unlike everyone else, we're actually not terrible.

Be a monarchy
Be “not terrible”

Sure, sure... we’ll pretend to believe that. You don’t actually shine, you just look bright because we have this stark blackness of Icedonian and Imperial autocracy to frame you with.

The Commonwealth is the only beacon for the voice of the people!

Shatter the Crowns!

Oh take your house of lords, and shove it where the sun don't shine. Why should Ragnar Bigaxe or whatever represent an entire town because he happened to have the largest house in the area when the Commonwealth arrived? Is that true democracy? At least we have local elections!

To quote many a lad, democracy ain't easy. We're trying, while the Commonwealth languishes in the shadow of hereditary chiefs and politically empowered thugs.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:13 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:
Reatra wrote:Yes, a far better measurement is food production and efficiency of land use ;)

Remember: All food does is improve health and increase your potential population. It doesn't spawn new people.

Hence why we're all living in relative abundance. 30,000 people living off Ireland isn't hard (In fact, the history shows that contrary to Plzen's constant assertions, Ireland did have a significantly above average neolithic population. I'm fine with the lowballed numbers though.) Especially when you're making use of proper field rotation, diversifying food sources, and brining.

Of course you could always absolutely saturate the food market when you make contact with the rest of the world :P

Nah, that's why I said land efficiency. Europe rn is going HAM on extensification, better plows, better use of animals, crop rotation, etc. But that produces very little food for how much space it uses. That may not be a huge issue for carrying capacity in this era, but it DOES mean that everything needs to be more spread out. For example, Haudenosaunee agriculture in the 1600s had no draft animals, no plows, and no crop rotation, but produced over 5x as much grain as European agriculture of the same time. And yes, maize is a great crop, but it's not 5x better than anything Europe had. Mesoamerican chinampas were about 5-6x that, which is why essentially the whole of Tenochtitlan's at-least-250,000 people could be supported by the fields within a few kilometers of its actual urban area.

Of course, when Ireland has 30,000 people, England has like 60,000, Sweden has 4,000, and Czechia has 90,000, that's not a pressing issue. but it should be noted, because it directly affects how a society will change and then adapt to change. The Mediterrean-European-style "extensively plow more land because more land is more property is more power" goes great with late antiquity to medieval economics, plus it meant there was essentially an off-season where the population wasn't doing anything, which is great for massing armies. So it's not like it is a "bad" system, because it totally makes sense for the historical context Europe was in, but it definitely is inferior from a solely agricultural output perspective. But for the Haudenosaunee who were just trying to minimize labor and maximize food, that had warfare less constantly, and didn't have the same sense of land as property, intensive fields without plows (so the soil ecology wasnt destroyed) that needed labor throughout the year, but less overall, were adopted.

Anyway I just like growing plants and like historical agriculture, and always have a lot to say, lol.

EDIT: I can link to the sources on Mesoamerican and Haudenosaunee agriculture if yall are interested. It's suuuuuper crazy stuff, really puts into perspective how much more sustainable humanity could be, and has been.
Last edited by Reatra on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yee haw it's time for mass line

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:In order to ease my picking, would anyone like a general practitioner trained for rural medical care to add to their nation's membership?

Haha yes. I'm in California and only have basic understanding of common diseases and what to do, and basic hygiene. You could come help train barefoot doctors, because this society is highly decentralized both politically and demographically. I'm more of a chemistry dude, so I'm working on the glass-making and electricity experiments, lol.

EDIT: and the current Author has a pretty decent understanding of various medicinal plants in California, and certainly the native peoples do cultivate them too, so you shouldn't run out of drugs :lol2:
Last edited by Reatra on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yee haw it's time for mass line

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:22 pm

Reatra wrote:EDIT: I can link to the sources on Mesoamerican and Haudenosaunee agriculture if yall are interested. It's suuuuuper crazy stuff, really puts into perspective how much more sustainable humanity could be, and has been.

Tbf, those figures are likely the case largely because our comprehension of their agriculture is still quite limited, compared to other variants. After all, back in the 1960s, we believed paddy agriculture was this lunacy of superagriculture that stood roughly where anthropologists are pegging Mesoamerican agriculture today.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:28 pm

Reatra wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:In order to ease my picking, would anyone like a general practitioner trained for rural medical care to add to their nation's membership?

Haha yes. I'm in California and only have basic understanding of common diseases and what to do, and basic hygiene. You could come help train barefoot doctors, because this society is highly decentralized both politically and demographically. I'm more of a chemistry dude, so I'm working on the glass-making and electricity experiments, lol.

EDIT: and the current Author has a pretty decent understanding of various medicinal plants in California, and certainly the native peoples do cultivate them too, so you shouldn't run out of drugs :lol2:

Hmm, that would be interesting. Another one to add to the possible list.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:34 pm

Author Applicaiton

Name:Luther Holly
Height and Weight:5'7, 162lbs
[/b]Skin, hair, and eye description: He is of mix African decent on a lighter shade of white, brown hair and eyes. Hair is wild bed hair and grows into an afro if maintained right. Has a goatee and patches all over his face
( Optional ) Picture:

Prior Profession:Radio personality and assistant producer, podcast owner
Level of education ( specify degrees or note worthy classes ): Bachelor's degree in Digital Media and a minors in Japanese
Physique description:Out of shape average Joe, a lot of blemishes and acme, whatever muscle was there is gone, just gone
Useful skills:

This spoiler is wrong, he has no useful skills.

National Origin:United States
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: Driving on the highway to a family reunion and was sleeping at the rest stop in his vehicle
Description of personality: Luther is an overall nice guy. He is a creative and innovative in his planning as he wishes to push the boundaries of what he sees around him. He always want to expand his horizons but understands that if he can't do something, he will be come back later. Despite his positive outlook, he has problems with negativity. His negativity can bite him in the ass if he isn't careful, stress can be a big problem but he has been seeking help in handling it.

Where in the world are you landing?: Ur, Mesopotamia

Autobiography/Biography ( paragraph minimum ): Luther was born a fighter, struggling on a shoestring budget. He grew up knowing frugality and a love for music, preferably of jazz, soul, and R&B. There was a lot of work to get into school, it was between helping family and doing homework. Over the years it didn't get better, going in and out of school he decided to take up playing the blues for street money till he was caught.

Eventually he got a GED and went on to get his bachelors in digital media and worked for a radio station in Chicago but quickly learned that it took more than a voice to get ahead. Over the years, he became more diverse in order to help the radio station and get more exposure. Before he went on to the family reunion, he started his own podcast talking about Chicago's past.

Little did he know that he would become part of the past. In a world so alien from what he ever knew...

Some New Things

Ur and Uruk had tied in their fight, causing the other city-states to openly rebel against Ur. Ur had to face more open fires and Luther had realized how much of a mistake he did in the first place. However he stuck with Ur as he offered better incentives and freedom to those who were loyal while Ur-Shuma's eldest daughter, Ur-Esti, became leader of the new intelligence branch of Ur known as the Night Watch. The Night Watch was paramount of smacking down rebellious city-states and allowed Luther's influence to stay alive despite being crippled outward.

Connections with scientists from Nestos and military leaders from Aksum had allowed Ur to start rebuilding in a new stance but with a starved resource and workforce the economy of the Queendom, and Mesopotamia suffered. During the years Uruk grew and became entrenched, Elam had actually been profiting from the war as they sold iron at extortion rates and the Dilmun paid even greater tariffs despite Ur controlling the seas once more with Uruk's seaside presence destroyed by a more professional and advanced navy.

Still, some ideas were imported from Nestos but Luther's dreams of an industrial revolution were still super damn slow. At least the waterwill and small mills were made but they were no factories by any means. Still, the Queendom managed to stockpile their coin and iron, things were ironed out and they were getting ready for a second attempt at cracking that nut that was Uruk and its new rebel empire.

During this time, the Night Watch grew and evolve beyond what it had been. Ur-Esti had became a spy master and assassin with being able to have the Night Watch inside rebel territory and built up a spy network in order for the day Ur-Shuma gives the declaration and they start to crack the nut that is Uruk.

Now, after years of biding their time, gathering resources and people waiting for abated breath, Ur-Shuma gives her declaration. Sumeria will be united, no matter the cost.

At this time Luther has been gathering what he can for a back up plan. He has been expanding minor tendrils of power into the lands of Elam and Dilmun to try and prepare for his next plans for he has decided that whoever wins he will make be the victor in this.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:36 pm

Ralnis wrote:Author Applicaiton

Name:Luther Holly
Height and Weight:5'7, 162lbs
[/b]Skin, hair, and eye description: He is of mix African decent on a lighter shade of white, brown hair and eyes. Hair is wild bed hair and grows into an afro if maintained right. Has a goatee and patches all over his face
( Optional ) Picture:

Prior Profession:Radio personality and assistant producer, podcast owner
Level of education ( specify degrees or note worthy classes ): Bachelor's degree in Digital Media and a minors in Japanese
Physique description:Out of shape average Joe, a lot of blemishes and acme, whatever muscle was there is gone, just gone
Useful skills:

This spoiler is wrong, he has no useful skills.

National Origin:United States
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: Driving on the highway to a family reunion and was sleeping at the rest stop in his vehicle
Description of personality: Luther is an overall nice guy. He is a creative and innovative in his planning as he wishes to push the boundaries of what he sees around him. He always want to expand his horizons but understands that if he can't do something, he will be come back later. Despite his positive outlook, he has problems with negativity. His negativity can bite him in the ass if he isn't careful, stress can be a big problem but he has been seeking help in handling it.

Where in the world are you landing?: Ur, Mesopotamia

Autobiography/Biography ( paragraph minimum ): Luther was born a fighter, struggling on a shoestring budget. He grew up knowing frugality and a love for music, preferably of jazz, soul, and R&B. There was a lot of work to get into school, it was between helping family and doing homework. Over the years it didn't get better, going in and out of school he decided to take up playing the blues for street money till he was caught.

Eventually he got a GED and went on to get his bachelors in digital media and worked for a radio station in Chicago but quickly learned that it took more than a voice to get ahead. Over the years, he became more diverse in order to help the radio station and get more exposure. Before he went on to the family reunion, he started his own podcast talking about Chicago's past.

Little did he know that he would become part of the past. In a world so alien from what he ever knew...

Some New Things

Ur and Uruk had tied in their fight, causing the other city-states to openly rebel against Ur. Ur had to face more open fires and Luther had realized how much of a mistake he did in the first place. However he stuck with Ur as he offered better incentives and freedom to those who were loyal while Ur-Shuma's eldest daughter, Ur-Esti, became leader of the new intelligence branch of Ur known as the Night Watch. The Night Watch was paramount of smacking down rebellious city-states and allowed Luther's influence to stay alive despite being crippled outward.

Connections with scientists from Nestos and military leaders from Aksum had allowed Ur to start rebuilding in a new stance but with a starved resource and workforce the economy of the Queendom, and Mesopotamia suffered. During the years Uruk grew and became entrenched, Elam had actually been profiting from the war as they sold iron at extortion rates and the Dilmun paid even greater tariffs despite Ur controlling the seas once more with Uruk's seaside presence destroyed by a more professional and advanced navy.

Still, some ideas were imported from Nestos but Luther's dreams of an industrial revolution were still super damn slow. At least the waterwill and small mills were made but they were no factories by any means. Still, the Queendom managed to stockpile their coin and iron, things were ironed out and they were getting ready for a second attempt at cracking that nut that was Uruk and its new rebel empire.

During this time, the Night Watch grew and evolve beyond what it had been. Ur-Esti had became a spy master and assassin with being able to have the Night Watch inside rebel territory and built up a spy network in order for the day Ur-Shuma gives the declaration and they start to crack the nut that is Uruk.

Now, after years of biding their time, gathering resources and people waiting for abated breath, Ur-Shuma gives her declaration. Sumeria will be united, no matter the cost.

At this time Luther has been gathering what he can for a back up plan. He has been expanding minor tendrils of power into the lands of Elam and Dilmun to try and prepare for his next plans for he has decided that whoever wins he will make be the victor in this.

Tre bien. Acceptado, as we discussed.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Lazarian
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Plzen wrote:
Lazarian wrote:-snip-

Just one thing - I don’t know whether you’ve landed before or after our timeskip, but the year would be AS 18 before the timeskip and AS 22 after.

AG is the Imperial reckoning, which wouldn’t be used in the Commonwealth outside of mercantile communities, and in any case 43 AG would be almost two decades in the future still.

Otherwise, I like this insane start, and I like the story you’re building! I’ll get a Committee response post up for you... eventually... Clara would be able to clear up this misunderstanding very quickly.

A word of advice, if your author gets into a frustrated rant and mention that the United States is south of Canada, that would probably be enough to get the Committee to write Clara a letter. Everyone knows that the founder of the Commonwealth hails from some great city called “Toronto,” in a mythical land to the west called “Canada.”

Good to know! I've changed the date to AS 18, because I'd like it the landing to be pre-timeskip. I'd rather start there so I have a little bit of influence after timeskip happens, because I can always go back and add more pre-timeskip scenes in flashbacks.

I'll probably have the next step up tonight, with him getting dragged in to the Committee and them having a few words for him about his situation. Might TG it to you for a runover before I actually post the thing.

I do really like the amount of autonomy found in each Republic. Really allows for a lot of interpretation, I think. Mark's definitely a Red as opposed to a Blue, as far as political parties go. Of course...he may go off on a third party, because how can you emphasize personal freedoms without allowing religious freedom? How can you rapidly advance when mired in bureaucracy? There's some interesting questions to explore.
Last edited by Lazarian on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016

Postby Alaroma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:44 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:False, the highlands of Ethiopia are actually quite temperate year around. 70~s

A lot of what you've got settled is the hot part of the country.

The parts I’m in usually average in the 70s and 80s for high temperatures. That’s true in the capital. Go down farther south, you’ll find very nice weather. Go further North, and especially in our salt mining regions, yeah you’ll get very hot weather.
Last edited by Alaroma on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:45 pm

Lazarian wrote:Mark's definitely a Red as opposed to a Blue, as far as political parties go. Of course...he may go off on a third party, because how can you emphasize personal freedoms without allowing religious freedom? How can you rapidly advance when mired in bureaucracy? There's some interesting questions to explore.

Luckily, that's what the Yellows are for!

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:55 pm

When you realize that the Imperium is shaped like a serpent dragon
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:When you realize that the Imperium is shaped like a serpent dragon

It really do be like that.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:57 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:When you realize that the Imperium is shaped like a serpent dragon

Better than when it looked like a goose.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:00 pm

So my first four or five posts will be the first six months into the war. It will be from the side of both an Ur-Shuma whose currently dying and Ur-Esti who is more into the Uruk's empire with various battles that the Night Watch is doing. Like breaking the Iron Line that has three cities that Uruk uses to keep Ur from trying to break into the Urukian heartland and their capital. Which has a lot of fortresses to say.

Battles will be slow and grueling but Ur will unite the land of Sumeria and whatever else Uruk has expanded. The rest of the years would be rebuilding and making an alliance with the Dilmun while having sights on Elam for their problems.

No, it will not take six months to take down Uruk. It will probably take 2-3 years.
Last edited by Ralnis on Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Just as a note the first crusaders are the followers of the Great Bull and the Celestial Goddesss who seek to destroy the dark waters of the Kraken menace. Remember you must not eat the devil octopuss, your soul will be saved by sunshine, the four daily prayers to the north, east, west, and south. The hammer of the righteous shall smite those foreign sinners.

Must panic a lot during directionless cloudy days now do you lot?
Former Foreign Minister of the Federation of Allies.
Formerly [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], 8000 combined what the heck.

egg

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:30 pm

Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:Just as a note the first crusaders are the followers of the Great Bull and the Celestial Goddesss who seek to destroy the dark waters of the Kraken menace. Remember you must not eat the devil octopuss, your soul will be saved by sunshine, the four daily prayers to the north, east, west, and south. The hammer of the righteous shall smite those foreign sinners.

Must panic a lot during directionless cloudy days now do you lot?

You bring gunpowder knowledge to Ur, we give you free refuge. How's that sound?

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Ralnis wrote:
Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:Must panic a lot during directionless cloudy days now do you lot?

You bring gunpowder knowledge to Ur, we give you free refuge. How's that sound?

You lot let us spread our faith undeterred and I'm playing with two authors just for you my dude, deal?
That means I drop Philip over with his merry band of exiles.
Last edited by Guuj Xaat Kil on Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egg

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:
Ralnis wrote:You bring gunpowder knowledge to Ur, we give you free refuge. How's that sound?

You lot let us spread our faith undeterred and I'm playing with two authors just for you my dude, deal?

Your allowed to play two Authors?

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:35 pm

Ralnis wrote:
Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:You lot let us spread our faith undeterred and I'm playing with two authors just for you my dude, deal?

Your allowed to play two Authors?

Idk man, they're seperated by an entire ocean and the Med, I'm pretty sure as long as you don't use them to your advantage you can do that, or something.

egg

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:36 pm

Ngl gunpowder knowledge is kinda lame, hurts the vibe. Whatever tho.
-Nuverkikstan

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:38 pm

Alaroma wrote:Ngl gunpowder knowledge is kinda lame, hurts the vibe. Whatever tho.

These are fire lances and fire arrows compared to, I dunno, a siege cannon in 2975 BC.

egg

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Alaroma wrote:Ngl gunpowder knowledge is kinda lame, hurts the vibe. Whatever tho.

Yeah, I hear that. C'est la vie though.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Your allowed to play two Authors?

Idk man, they're seperated by an entire ocean and the Med, I'm pretty sure as long as you don't use them to your advantage you can do that, or something.

Nah, just send someone or your own Author down to Ur once the whole war is cleared up and we can talk about gunpowder and gun/cannon/rocket development.

Not really, I mean the Imperium will be in our neighborhood soon and the Near East needs whatever edge it can get. Besides it will take years to actually put that stuff into any sort of good weaponry.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:43 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:

Yeah, I hear that. C'est la vie though.

Just wanna spread the word tbh.
-Nuverkikstan

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse