NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations (2nd Era, OOC, Always Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we carry on - ( comment what you voted after voting, THIS IS MANDATORY )

Poll ended at Mon May 11, 2020 5:40 am

1. Carry on in the year 2975
68%
2. Skip to the year 2970
14%
3. Skip to the year 2945
18%

Total votes : 22

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:21 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Oh, Universal?

Not to rain on a parade or anything, but there's no physical way Illyrians could be fighting shipping from Uruk. Not unless you're having them portage their ships across Egypt into the Red Sea and, well, that's impossible.

They were in the Cyclades during the Kraken conflict which was six years ago. They were traveling around the coast to the Greek city states for trading and raiding. In the Cyclades, Diaghis hired them to go to raid ships trading with Uruk, not in the red sea but in the Aegean. There are several colonies of Uruk not far from the Aegean, Aruda, Habuba, Kurban, Acinebi. Basically, we identify ships then they raid them. These would be much more vulnerable to irregular warfare both from raiders and specialty troops. It would be part of the process of cutting off trade in metals to Uruk.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 am

UniversalCommons wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Oh, Universal?

Not to rain on a parade or anything, but there's no physical way Illyrians could be fighting shipping from Uruk. Not unless you're having them portage their ships across Egypt into the Red Sea and, well, that's impossible.

They were in the Cyclades during the Kraken conflict which was six years ago. They were traveling around the coast to the Greek city states for trading and raiding. In the Cyclades, Diaghis hired them to go to raid ships trading with Uruk, not in the red sea but in the Aegean. There are several colonies of Uruk not far from the Aegean, Aruda, Habuba, Kurban, Acinebi. Basically, we identify ships then they raid them.

You mean the Illyrian pirates were raiding Uruk-sympathetic Mesopotamian settlements a hundred miles inland in upper Mesopotamia?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 am

So new scheme. Uruk defeats Ur uniting Sumeria. Luther's power is destroyed but he still survived as the economic advisor to the new King. Luther, knowing his mistakes, seeks to try and rise back as the shadow emperor but now with a more understanding and knows what not to do.

Seems like a common, yet good narrative.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:And absolutely none of ya are fighting the Imperium right :P

Being a imperial soldier I have no qualms with the Imperium. That being said, being surrounded by potential enemies is a national security concern that hopefully be dealt with in time.

I suppose reducing the border to Bohemia would be a good way to go about it.

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:The Imperials make heavy use of repeaters. Slow reload, generally weaker than a single shot crossbow, but G's improved the design, and the high rate of fire means the enemy will rarely survive one or two volleys.

More like a punctuated rate of fire, really - reciprocating crossbows can fire very rapidly, but once their magazines are empty, they need a longer period to recharge said magazines from secondary ammunition sources. They fire at very similar strength to conventional crossbows drawn by hand, but are really meant for allowing a small amount of men to engage a larger force in a single burst of decisive fire - and so not so great for prolonged engagements or against any armor stronger than iron mail.

We also deploy windlass crossbows, but those are necessarily quite heavy and slow to reload, and so usually deployed in fireteams or pavise systems.

Both forms of weapon are really meant to be fired in flat trajectories, which limits their efficacy at range, but that doesn't mean volley fire is impossible - just not preferable.

Oh? You mention repeaters pretty often, so I naturally assumed that was the weapon of choice. Not that big of a deal, just surprised.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:31 am

Lazarian wrote:Does the Commonwealth have a calendar, or the concept of a year?

Yes. A year is four seasons of 13 weeks each, plus one or two festival days.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Being a imperial soldier I have no qualms with the Imperium. That being said, being surrounded by potential enemies is a national security concern that hopefully be dealt with in time.

If there’s any author State that can legitimately complain of being surrounded by enemies, it has to be the Commonwealth. The Imperium has plenty of land to expand into, and Imperial relations with the southern powers look fairly cordial at the moment.

Being invaded kind of does force us to compete with the Imperium on military strength, regardless of whether or not - and it’s definitely not - that’s a field we have any innate talent or advantage in. As someone pointed out earlier, you can develop your culture and politics to be as sophisticated as you want - barbarian invader with a gun still has a gun.

Bortslovakia wrote:Also worth noting we're all using different kinds of crossbows.

I am, and therefore Clara is, not remotely familiar enough with armaments of this era to be able to pursue an independent line of development suited to our needs. We would mostly be working off models inspired by Imperial and Hibernian examples.
Last edited by Plzen on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:33 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:
They were in the Cyclades during the Kraken conflict which was six years ago. They were traveling around the coast to the Greek city states for trading and raiding. In the Cyclades, Diaghis hired them to go to raid ships trading with Uruk, not in the red sea but in the Aegean. There are several colonies of Uruk not far from the Aegean, Aruda, Habuba, Kurban, Acinebi. Basically, we identify ships then they raid them.

You mean the Illyrian pirates were raiding Uruk-sympathetic Mesopotamian settlements a hundred miles inland in upper Mesopotamia?

That is right. They were probably doing this with the help of Barabbas. Also, identifiable ships and caravans from these settlements. Basic mercenary work.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:33 am

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:
Ah-eh-ioh-uh wrote:When you haven't even started your civ and someone's already got gunpowder...

Meh, measuring technological advancement by military capabilities is not very useful.

Yes, a far better measurement is food production and efficiency of land use ;)
yee haw it's time for mass line

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:35 am

Ralnis wrote:So new scheme. Uruk defeats Ur uniting Sumeria. Luther's power is destroyed but he still survived as the economic advisor to the new King. Luther, knowing his mistakes, seeks to try and rise back as the shadow emperor but now with a more understanding and knows what not to do.

That would be interesting. We would have to flee a fallen Ur. We would try and strip it bare as we fled. I like it actually. Extracting scientists and wrecking the machinery, etc. Sounds great actually. Also many of Uruk's settlements would go up in flames.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:39 am

Plzen wrote:

Being invaded kind of does force us to compete with the Imperium on military strength, regardless of whether or not - and it’s definitely not - that’s a field we have any innate talent or advantage in. As someone pointed out earlier, you can develop your culture and politics to be as sophisticated as you want - barbarian invader with a gun still has a gun.

""The enemy advances, we retreat; the enemy camps, we harass; the enemy tires, we attack; the enemy retreats, we pursue."
yee haw it's time for mass line

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:41 am

UniversalCommons wrote:
Ralnis wrote:So new scheme. Uruk defeats Ur uniting Sumeria. Luther's power is destroyed but he still survived as the economic advisor to the new King. Luther, knowing his mistakes, seeks to try and rise back as the shadow emperor but now with a more understanding and knows what not to do.

That would be interesting. We would have to flee a fallen Ur. We would try and strip it bare as we fled. I like it actually. Extracting scientists and wrecking the machinery, etc. Sounds great actually. Also many of Uruk's settlements would go up in flames.

Luther does hold knowledge of the Nestosian machines and scientific knowledge from him and his hidden library underneath his farm. Hell, he might even come out of the shadows to talk to Victor once he gets the Inner Circle back together and running things again.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:42 am

Reatra wrote:
Plzen wrote:Being invaded kind of does force us to compete with the Imperium on military strength, regardless of whether or not - and it’s definitely not - that’s a field we have any innate talent or advantage in. As someone pointed out earlier, you can develop your culture and politics to be as sophisticated as you want - barbarian invader with a gun still has a gun.

""The enemy advances, we retreat; the enemy camps, we harass; the enemy tires, we attack; the enemy retreats, we pursue."

Yes we attack the enemy's tires so we can puruse them easily mmyes.
Former Foreign Minister of the Federation of Allies.
Formerly [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], 8000 combined what the heck.

egg

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 am

Reatra wrote:""The enemy advances, we retreat; the enemy camps, we harass; the enemy tires, we attack; the enemy retreats, we pursue."

It is only those who have no need to take concrete actions in a concrete arena who can afford to make such sweeping declarations entirely in the abstract.

Since G-Tech is quite insistent that I don’t in fact have any of the advantages that I was relying on, there’s really nothing to do except be willing to continue the struggle at whatever cost.
Last edited by Plzen on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:46 am

Reatra wrote:
Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:Meh, measuring technological advancement by military capabilities is not very useful.

Yes, a far better measurement is food production and efficiency of land use ;)

Remember: All food does is improve health and increase your potential population. It doesn't spawn new people.

Hence why we're all living in relative abundance. 30,000 people living off Ireland isn't hard (In fact, the history shows that contrary to Plzen's constant assertions, Ireland did have a significantly above average neolithic population. I'm fine with the lowballed numbers though.) Especially when you're making use of proper field rotation, diversifying food sources, and brining.

Of course you could always absolutely saturate the food market when you make contact with the rest of the world :P

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:47 am

Bortslovakia wrote:Of course you could always absolutely saturate the food market when you make contact with the rest of the world :P

Not my lucrative food markets! I need those to fund my autocratic state!
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:54 am

So Luther finally builds a real Illuminati as Uruk has united Sumeria underneath her boot. Luther has to restart his rise to power. This plan is called Operation Palpatinem

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:58 am

When I set up my powerbase in the Pacific NW I'm just gonna...
Try to be 2975 BC Haida Dutchmen, or something.
Former Foreign Minister of the Federation of Allies.
Formerly [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], 8000 combined what the heck.

egg

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:01 am

Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:When I set up my powerbase in the Pacific NW I'm just gonna...
Try to be 2975 BC Haida Dutchmen, or something.

The Haidanseatic League.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016

Postby Alaroma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:10 am

Ralnis wrote:So Luther finally builds a real Illuminati as Uruk has united Sumeria underneath her boot. Luther has to restart his rise to power. This plan is called Operation Palpatinem

Uhhhhh that’s awkward. It also means two things.

One of them being I have a surviving Ur Royal. It also could mean more permanent Ur residents. This all greatly complicates things.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:12 am

Alaroma wrote:
Ralnis wrote:So Luther finally builds a real Illuminati as Uruk has united Sumeria underneath her boot. Luther has to restart his rise to power. This plan is called Operation Palpatinem

One of them being I have a surviving Ur Royal. It also could mean more permanent Ur residents. This all greatly complicates things.

Sounds like a cb to restore the dominance of Ur

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:13 am

Bortslovakia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:Uhhhhh that’s awkward. It also means two things.

OOCly I’m mostly concerned about trade and religious ties to the region at this point.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 am

Alaroma wrote:

Not really, Luther has Aksum in his plans as well. He would be using the Princrss as a contact for the plan.

Bortslovakia wrote:

No

Alaroma wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:Sounds like a cb to restore the dominance of Ur

OOCly I’m mostly concerned about trade and religious ties to the region at this point.

All part of the plan, trust me.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:16 am

Ralnis wrote:

Not really, Luther has Aksum in his plans as well. He would be using the Princrss as a contact for the plan.

No

Alaroma wrote:OOCly I’m mostly concerned about trade and religious ties to the region at this point.

All part of the plan, trust me.

What plan?
-Nuverkikstan

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:17 am

Alaroma wrote:

Yeah considering Andrew, Olivia, and Victor all rely on Sumerian trade, I imagine Uruk upsetting that balance is going to lead to quite a few issues.

Ur's situation isn't anywhere close to hopeless, and I have no clue why Ralnis decided to give up without a fight(I mean... now he has to fight the Sumerian loyalists, so it's not like he's avoiding anything).

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:25 am

Bortslovakia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:OOCly I’m mostly concerned about trade and religious ties to the region at this point.

Yeah considering Andrew, Olivia, and Victor all rely on Sumerian trade, I imagine Uruk upsetting that balance is going to lead to quite a few issues.

Ur's situation isn't anywhere close to hopeless, and I have no clue why Ralnis decided to give up without a fight(I mean... now he has to fight the Sumerian loyalists, so it's not like he's avoiding anything).

Right I forgot that, fuck the plan and just back to the former narrative. Ur is resource starved but holding together. Uruk is rising but now Luther is conducting operations in Uruk territory with the Night Watch to do shit.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:25 am

In order to ease my picking, would anyone like a general practitioner trained for rural medical care to add to their nation's membership?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse