NATION

PASSWORD

WFF Series 3: Brave New World [IC, CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:15 am

S1E4

INTERMISSION - THE DEVIL’S COMPANY

Welcome to the Devil's Company, Claire... Or should we call it, the 1821 Devils Company. One of the more accomplished units within the Voronov Group family has been rebranded and retooled with the addition of some new members from the former 1821 Security Services - and you're the executive officer. You're working under Nevena Voronova... Yeah, she's a little bit of a big deal, and a noble, but she's also something of a family black sheep thanks to her appearance.

You'll know why once you see her. Your latest job is going to be in Avarece, but she's working on important business in Amiriyya currently. Head to Dejan and say hi. You're both flying out to Avarece in the coming days. As the situation in Dejan is handed off to the Amiriyyan Confederated Army and the Vojvodean military, the men and women of the Devil's Company are needed elsewhere. Perhaps even needed by a certain Admiral Evangelista, to get back at a pest plaguing her country - one that a certain member of your unit already has a bit of experience with.

Camp Al-Rafa, Dejan, Confederation of Amiriyya
Murmere 25th, 251
3:00 PM
Collaborative post between Forest State and Valefontaine

Camp Al-Rafa… The place where the Vojvodean 15th Airborne Brigade and the 2nd Eagles Brigade were stationed right now, and also the center of where the crown and its local affiliates, along with a strange collection of oil lords and contractors looking for their next check were working on going above and beyond their previous tasks in Amiriyya and building up a new nation entirely. That was to say, this was the only real formal military base in the ‘Confederation of Amiriyya’ which had only been founded days ago, through the force of Vojvodean guns and with the local leadership of the Bahrizadi tribe that had held out here despite the chaos and hostilities in the rest of the country.

It was safe to say that, in the days after the founding of this nation, the base was chaotic to say the least. Personnel from multiple units moved about, trucks came and went with patrols, helicopters embarked on missions or brought in supplies from elsewhere - all the while, the place was on guard for an attack that could come at any point. Just because they were in their own territory didn’t mean they were completely safe. With the flow of refugees into the north from other parts of Amiriyya, there were almost certainly hostile actors mixed within them who intended to set up shop around here.

And so, the road to the base was rather locked down, the local forces checking visitors further down the path before the 15th Airborne asked their own questions at the gate to any unfamiliar faces that happened to be turning up at the place. It slowed things down slightly, but the added measures would help in preventing another situation like the one following the start of unrest in the country - where much of even the north, the oil fields included, had been taken over by irregular soldiers with the Shafadi Popular Front.

The latest arrival, however, wasn’t showing up by car and being subjected to these checks, but by helicopter. The flight over the desert wasn’t entirely the safest one, but it was done at this point, as the Afonin 74 helicopter made a final approach on the site before flaring and descending, the wheels eventually touching down and the doors sliding open… the surroundings were very different from the original starting point of the journey, the Voronov Group headquarters city of Lyachevo. The greens of the forests and the blue of the waters off the shoreline had been replaced by the color pallette of the desert, and what had once been paved roads and elegant buildings turned into dirt trails and plain concrete structures, colored to blend in with the environment.

It was a far cry from the more developed world… and perhaps an early sign of how the life of a mercenary could take one far away from the comforts that many others were used to.

Claire Morata was accustomed to few comforts. Having grown up in Eunomia after its collapse, knowing how to fight and how to survive had come natural for her. By the time she was in her late adolescence, she had already taken up the mercenary life.

---==============---

The new arrival.

There were a few odd jobs between then and now, but the to-be Company Sergeant was about to be faced with the next. Her task at the moment was to find the person that was serving as the Company Leader, formerly of the Devils Company and now of this new one… the 1821 Devils Company as it was called, after having absorbed the assets of an existing group known as 1821 Security Services. Finding one person within Camp Al-Rafa wasn’t necessarily the easiest task, either. Between visiting local forces and the Vojvodean soldiers that were stationed here until further notice, it was hard to see who was going where and who was assigned to what place, though there were also the occasional soldiers with the red and white and blue symbols of the Voronov Group, perhaps indicating through their paths that the mercenary faction’s area was a specific grouping of smaller buildings on the northern end of the camp.

Which would be exactly where Morata went. Faced by the buildings, she only briefly stopped to note the facade. She carried most of what she already needed — an AR-M36 slung over her shoulder, and most of her personal belongings carried in her kitbag. With a bit of silent reassurance, she proceeded forth, eyes scanning the usual bustle at the compounds.

As she was moving through this area, she would spot another group of soldiers which seemed to be close enough to what she was looking for - at least, the woman at the head of the group appeared close enough to the description she had been given earlier of Nevena Voronova, the leader of the former Devils Company as well as the current leader of the new merged company… and it was impossible to miss her, thanks to the distinct scarring on her face that was supposedly the result of a childhood fight with the B4K10 virus which had torn through the country in a couple of past outbreaks. Thanks to that plague, Voronova was, to say the least, far different in appearance from the usual, softer looking members of one of the wealthiest and most business-savvy noble houses in the country.

---==============---

Nevena ‘Scarface’ Voronova, the head of the 1821 Devils Company.
The conversation of the group also appeared to confirm them as the right one. Seemed to be about personnel and transfers and the like - though, they didn’t immediately notice the newcomer.

Morata whistled to the woman as she approached, reaching into her own coat pocket to display her own Voronov Group ID card. "Company Leader Voronova?" She called, standing at attention before the noblewoman. Nobility was a foreign notion to her, given her origins from the anarchic state. Still, rank seniority always did demand a degree of respect.

The group stopped, and Voronova set her eyes on the newcomer. She waved to the other soldiers to continue on to wherever they were headed, but she didn’t keep moving herself, as she examined the other mercenary in front of her, waiting a moment before she extended her hand. “I presume you’re the one being transferred to replace my XO?”

"Transferred out of our operations group in the Mare Tempestas yesterday, ma'am." Morata replied. "The circumstances are beyond my paygrade, as far as I'm aware."

“I’d like to say I’m kinda pissed about the decision, I mean, they expect the same results from me and don’t want to keep me with my preferred people… but you aren’t the right one to make that complaint to,” Voronova stated with a slight sigh. “So I guess we’re a team now.”

To this, Morata nodded with a hint of hesitation. "So it seems. Claire Morata — I was with Chimera Company in the Mare Tempestas preceding my transfer... I presume a briefing of some sort regarding what this job is due to entail would be in order?"

“The structure around here isn’t that different from most of the companies… multiple teams, one headquarters staff, all that. Obviously, you’re in a higher position than you were before, so you’re helping me with keeping things running smoothly,” Voronova started. “Of course, me and you still have our own work in the field, as part of the first team… I suppose it’s not too different from what you’re used to, but with more… paperwork.”

"Nothing I can't do," Morata presumed. "And what of the situation? I get the impression we're preparing to move out."

“Officially, the situation right now is handling security here in northern Amiriyya while the actual military does some things to the south… unofficially, I have word that things are already getting packed up and sent to Avarece due to things heating up there. The government in Avarece is gearing up for war after their embassy was attacked by their neighbor, in Maturoch… the crown and the intelligence service over here is low key telling us to take the job, too. Ideological containment, so to speak… Expect to end up behind enemy lines before long.”

Morata nodded. "The Vibrians, I presume. I am uninformed, however, on how this monarchy ideologically differs from neighboring Avarece..."

“The Vibrians are indeed the problem. Isn’t our first encounter with them, either… before the merger, they shot my cousin. One of her teammates wasn’t lucky enough to make it out like she did,” reflected Voronova, before pausing and answering the second statement. “And as far as I know, Vibria is a monarchy in name only. The crown hasn’t held much real power since their last government came to power. That lies in the hands of… what you could call an aggressive democracy, as well as their foreign intelligence agency, the INV. There’s been Vibrian support for rebel movements within Avarece ever since the unrest in Avarece started. Only difference now is that it’s probably going to kick off more and turn into an actual war.”

"I see.." Stroking her chin, Morata took note of the situation at present. "What's my first order of business here and now, ma'am?"

“You may wish to meet my cousin, Kostya, who is also the squad leader of the team that’s immediately under us… or to look at the reports that I’ve received on the situation from the UIR, in my office,” Voronova said with a slight shrug. “Things are fairly calm for now… you’ll be busy from the moment we touch down in Avarece, however.”

"I believe I can tackle two birds with one stone... take me to your office." replied Morata. "I can have a word with your cousin afterward."

Nodding, the Company Leader turned around and started towards one of the buildings that wasn’t far from where they were standing now, stepping inside and then entering the second room within the prefabricated building - her office wasn’t the largest but it was fairly well organized, and there were some papers in folders on the desk which was at the center of it.

“Some of these are general reports from the area, but there’s also information about the INV agent that I mentioned earlier… that shot my cousin. As well as Loreto Romero, the Vibrian ambassador to Avarece who is alleged by Avarecian intelligence to be a link between dissident movements in Avarece and the INV across the border,” she pointed out. “We’ll have more once we link up with our Avarecian counterparts on the ground.”

"Our goal, I presume, is to take out this agent?" questioned Morata.

“According to my contact in the UIR… yes. A reprisal for the embassy bombing, so to speak. As well as a way to sever the ties between the INV and Avarecian rebels.”

"Fair enough, then." Morata conceded. "Is that everything?"

“For now,” Voronova said. “I’ll inform you if there’s any further intelligence updates.”

"Alright. I'll have a word with your cousin, then." Beginning for the door, Morata paused, before turning back around. "..I know my transfer here isn't exactly what you wanted. I'm, er, sorry if you don't think highly of me... but I'll try to do my best, ma'am."

“I believe in people proving themselves… all I ask is for the job to get done,” Voronova stated calmly, watching her subordinate head for the door, her persona still somewhat cold however despite her words.

Taking her leave, Morata's next immediate focus was finding the 'Kostya' Nevena had spoken of. There were plenty of faces in the compound, but she was certain the woman in question was nearby.

It turned out that the correct location to look was the Voronov Group barracks, a short distance away from the office - for the most part, the place was empty at the moment, but there was one girl sitting down within it on one of the beds, who looked enough like the older Voronova… though her blonde hair was cut shorter, her face was unblemished, and she had an overall different aura about her, a bit more introspective with maybe even a hint of sadness.

Morata briefly hesitated before speaking up. "Kostya... Voronova?" She questioned, her own ID in hand.

“Yeah,” Kostya said simply, looking over at her new colleague, an eyebrow raised. “Don’t recognize you, though.”

"Transferred here this morning from the Mare Tempestas. Claire Morata," She introduced herself. "I'm your new XO."

“Guess that’s why I’m not the XO,” mused Kostya, letting her voice trail off before she chuckled. “Just messing with you a bit, I don’t care that much. I’ll take whatever rank as long as I get to finish some business in Avarece soon…”

Morata nodded. "I just supposed introductions were overdue. Your cousin, she, uh... informed me of you, and suggested I get to know you before work in Avarece begins."

“Don’t know what there is to get to know, I guess you could say I was pretty average compared to her… Didn’t go to the Lyachevo Imperial College, didn’t fight the Soviet in 246… only time I got a major assignment, I couldn’t save my squadmate,” Kostya pointed out, seemingly taking a low view of herself.

"I was transferred from operations in the desert," replied Morata. "Mostly small-time tasks pertaining to the tech-hoarders... I'm surprised I'm here at all, but... I do look forward to working with you."

“Like I said… I’ll welcome anyone that helps kill Yoselin Asturia… the INV agent that took my squadmate out in Avarece,” Kostya said, her tone rather dark before she let out a slight sigh and forced herself to speak a bit more lightly. “Anyway, welcome to the Company. It does have its perks being here, working with my cousin… who happens to be the CEO’s daughter.”

"I suppose it is a step up for me.." Morata admitted.

“You should hold your head up a bit more, though,” Kostya pointed out, tsking slightly. “You’re higher ranked than me and you’re the older one, I guess. Probably worth… something.”

"..guess we'll find out.." She murmured, shrugging. "I mean, I'm not in it for the fame, and there's probably things that pay better... but this is all I've really known. I just hope things go smoothly."

“Look at it a different way… sure, you’re an outsider in it because it’s what you’re used to, and you’re not going for fame, but well… you’re also not born into it and you’re not going to get judged for it,” Kostya said before scoffing slightly. “Can’t say the same about myself, wasn’t easy explaining to my parents that this was what I want to do even after getting shot out there. I’m sure you’ll do just fine. Less baggage, you could say.”

"...parents, huh?.." Morata trailed off, before shaking her head. "Never mind— right, of course. I'm sure everything will go fine. Looking forward to working with you on the field, of course."

“Yeah… you too,” Kostya said, before lying back on the bed, staring up at the bottom of the bunk which was directly above her own, content to remain there even while the others were out and about - probably more than a little depressed, though regardless she seemed able to push through it when she needed to. And fortunately, it didn’t look like she was opposed to her new squadmate who had a rank that she herself had likely pushed for.

Of course, it was only a matter of days until they were set to head to Avarece, where they would find out just how well the bonds between the team held up under pressure.
don't tread on me

Turmenista
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Turmenista » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:22 pm

S1E3
AMMUNITION CACHE

You know the music, time to dance. Your landfall on Timorius has good timing: the territorial administration of Cantenia is in the midst of a counterinsurgency conflict against insurgent forces. An ammunition cache is believed to be in the area... seize it.

FSS Admiral Halloran (SDDGN-17)
    Admiral Morton-class Space Destroyer (Nuclear Powered)
    Outer Space
    Murmere 13, 251 AE
    9:45 AM Cantenia Surface Time

Two days had passed since their mission to intercept the Sinican satellite, the realization of the broadcast that they had recovered still fresh in their minds as they came upon Vesta’s lonely, lavender-colored moon. Timorius truly was tiny, and they were just barely remaining in the gravity well of the tiny planetoid—any sudden orbital movements could send them out into deep space or back towards Vesta, so movements had to be minute and precise.

A complex array of Euphemian satellites and orbital Service and Logistic Stations (SLS) formed a ring around the purple planet, lights twinkling on Timorius’s dark side. The orbital presence here wasn’t as great as that around Vesta, but it was still a sizable enough presence to reassert who was in control in orbit: Terminus.

But then, Nicole thought about the darker sides of the moon, those twinkling lights, the imposing mountains and crater-filled valleys that undoubtedly housed insurgents and other hostile colonies alike. Were they truly in control here, or was the orbital presence just filling in the vacancy, at least for now?

“We’re just barely sticking in orbit around Timorius — you’d be surprised how ‘floaty’ things get, if you haven’t already been down there.” Lieutenant Colonel Lamar commented, looking at the purple orb on the data tank screen, the blue triangle representing their ship orbiting around the planet at a relatively stable eccentricity and speed.

“I believe everyone here has been to Timorius, sir, with Sergeant McBride being here the most.” Nicole nodded, referring to the other members of Orpheus Deatchment that were floating at ease behind them.

“To think we managed to survive on such a hardy, small, and hostile moon. Thank god the atmosphere’s breathable, but it took a while to weather the acid rain, windstorms, and the gravity...it’s barely six percent as strong as Tsion’s. A good hop’ll take you 25 feet into the air, meaning combat—and vehicles—are quite..interesting.”

Nicole raised an eyebrow. “Sir?”

Lamar nodded. “The lower gravity on Timorius, as you know, lets us use single-stage-to-orbit craft quite often for transport, logistical, and combat support purposes. One of these, the shuttle FSS Utopia, is set to dock with us in ten minutes. Orpheus, you’ll be boarding the Utopia, where you’ll be sent moonside to Cloud 99 and receive your briefing from the folks down there. I’d pack your regular guns along with the Vindicators, just as a personal note.”

Before long, he began for the exit hatch. “Talk to your Captain if you have any additional questions. I have to oversee this data as it is sent back to Vesta by a nearby relay station.”

McBride muttered to himself as their enigmatic overseer left. “So we’re taking a ride on the re-entry bus..”

Kairi's own mind was set on the forces they might face on the surface — and what such an affair might present. "Any clue what we're dealing with on the surface, cap?" She questioned, already halfway down the corridor to the so-called 'locker rooms' adjacent to the airlock.

Nicole folded her arms. “Word is that there’s an ammo cache of sorts under innie control, Lieutenant. Maturochi and Sinican guns present, the usual. If I were to guess, it’s the CNLM at play.”

"So is it a stand-up fight... or a bug-hunt?" Sparks joked, slipping into the locker room doors. Their EVA suits were already prepared, firearms magnetically bound to the racks within.

“Eh, I’d say the latter...but, if you wanna get specific, it’s a cowboy movie, man.” McBride commented snarkily. “Cloud 99’s a frickin’ backwater shithole you’d see in one of those Oesterran flicks. I’ve been there once, maybe Master Sar’n’t is still there.”

Kelley lazily lifted one of his arms up from its cross-armed position, firing off a quick question for Nicole. “So uh, do we got any intel about the location of this weapon cache as of yet?”

Nicole shook her head. “All they gave me was that they believe the terrorists have a cache, but the Timorius boys have a location.”

The all-too soothing sound of weapons being loaded and readied with clicks and snaps filled the room as the team suited up and checked their weapons, carrying an increased load compared to last time. AR-M36 battle rifles, pistols, grenade bandoleers, and other equipment joined the previous loadout of Vindicators, plasma cutters, and coagulator guns — McBride, in particular, grabbed a roll of olive green-colored duct tape and a large ATR-M23 Devastator AT rifle from the shelf, strapping a few of the boxy magazines to the exterior of his suit. “You never know what the innies might have — armored Kombi? Dump truck turn SVBIED? This…” He pulled the slide back of the large AT rifle and released it for emphasis. “Solves all your problems.”

---==============---

The StarLite AR-M36 is the choice firearm among Euphemian troops on Vesta and Timorius alike.

"I figure these magnetic boots'll come useful," Kairi thought aloud, loading her own AR-M36. "Wouldn't want to get sent ten feet in the air for a slip-up.."

“Gravity on Timorius is lighter, obviously, so this’ll make for a few interesting plays,” Nicole explained, diligently checking her LMG-M392, along with securing a few box magazines to her person and testing the small motion tracker on the side. “Though, I’m keeping my boots on the ground.”

Sparks raised his own Verloc Dynamics MC24 Coagulator Gun, as if to bring attention to it. "Any trouble with the terrorists comes up, I got this. First aid kits, too. Just don't make my job hard, aight?"

Kelley pulled his ATL-46 Trident off the rack, giving it a brief look of everything from admiration, to excitement and joy. “Yeah, just lemme know when we gots’ta blow up some innies. Man, am I excited to fire this puppy.”

A low rumble resonated through the ship, followed by a few hollow clicks and bumps on the lower section of the Halloran. “That’s our ride, ventral airlock.” Nicole immediately pointed out the location of the noise, grabbing her helmet as she propelled herself towards the doorway with one hand. That’s probably the shuttle docking now.”

"I don't know about you guys... but I was born ready!" Slinging her AR-M36 over her shoulder, Kairi began towards the docking port, idly waiting for the doors to open. A few more clicks came from the docking port as the doors opened to a man in a blue jumpsuit, beckoning them inside after greeting them with a salute. “Come onboard, Orpheus! Welcome to the FSS Utopia. We’ll take you down to the surface in no time!”

The overly cheery, excited demeanor of the FSS Utopia’s crew didn’t help the fact that squeezing five fully-armed, fully-suited marines inside was going to be a challenge, but it also confirmed the fact that they hadn’t seen any new souls for a very long time. A few of them just looked tired, others looked a bit depressed, but they were all excited to see the marines onboard.

It only begged the question: just how bad were things down on Timorius?

The group was pretty much shafted in the aft section of the spaceplane, a normally empty space that would otherwise used for holding satellites on civilian space shuttles. It had been transformed into little more than a specialized transportation pod, the seats enlarged and restraints modified to hold the bulkier marines in place during reentry and take off. Thus, it gave off the impression that it was some sort of messed-up, sci-fi roller coaster, if the ride took place in a relatively dark space lit up by red lights that shook violently.

FEDATOM COMMUNICATOR

[FSS UTOPIA (OV-20)] ”Disengaging dock with the Halloran. Reorient to bearing one-eight-five, full burn twenty seconds.”

“Full burn twenty seconds..” McBride muttered. “After that, it’s gonna be fun.”

FEDATOM COMMUNICATOR

[FSS UTOPIA (OV-20)] ”Alright, we’re dropping! 17,500 mph for re-entry, maybe a little slower...”

“And this is the giggle factor here. Why are we going so fast on such a small planet? I’ll never know.” McBride’s murmuring was soon drowned out by a howling sound as the ambient temperature increased. The spacecraft suddenly began to shake as the comms came back online, a bit drowned out by the noisy sounds of re-entry, beeping control surfaces, and the general clattering of the space shuttle.

FEDATOM COMMUNICATOR

[FSS UTOPIA (OV-20)] ”Slow ‘er down, keep her steady and lined up with the Cloud 99 runway. Get us on comms with the tower and deploy flaps.”

---

[FSS UTOPIA (OV-20)] ”Checkmate-Two-Zero on approach to Cloud 99 with request..”

[CLOUD 99 AEROSPACE TRAFFIC CONTROL] “Checkmate-Two-Zero say request.”

[FSS UTOPIA (OV-20)] ”Checkmate-Two-Zero, requesting permission to land with priority. Precious cargo and weary pilots onboard. *chuckle*”

[CLOUD 99 AEROSPACE TRAFFIC CONTROL] “Checkmate-Two-Zero, permission granted. Land at runway 49L and hold short to point Golf.”

The feeling of weightlessness suddenly subsided as the rumbling abruptly ceased. What came next was a blur: the landing gear were deployed, the spaceplane touched down on the runway, and proceeded to roll for what Nicole could only describe as a mile before coming to an unceremonious halt on the runway.

FEDATOM COMMUNICATOR

[FSS UTOPIA (OV-20)] ”Welcome to Timorius, or, rather, welcome back! On your right, you’ll see a very large mountain...and another mountain..and the tower.”

The feeling of the spacecraft finally coming to a halt warranted a sigh of relief from Kairi, and a few others. "Can't say I've ever been to Timorius... well, there's a first time for everything."

As the group disembarked, they would immediately be greeted by the Vestan moon's purple landscape, mountains looming in the distance. Cloud 99 was a fairly small town — the airport served more military purpose than anything, really — and most would consider it a backwater by any metric. Freshly-relaid tarmac aside, the aerospaceport itself had nothing particularly special about it. The tower wasn’t anything fancy...things just seemed…bland. Just as bland as the lavender-colored earth that stretched off for miles in every direction, the distant white sun in the pale sky, and the lack of any birds chirping whatsoever. The closest semblance to backgrund ambient, aside from the usual bustle of the airport and the nearby small town, was that of the local flora, membraneous jaw-like structures inhaling and exhaling in unison.

---==============---

Cloud 99... some would call it a backwater.

“No wonder the insurgents wanna get off-planet..” Nicole heard one of the pilots mutter as she passed him while disembarking. “This place is the shithole of shitholes. I wanna go to the beach after this.”

It wouldn’t take long for them to leave the airport and head into town, which obviously seemed like it was something straight out of a western flick. Centerpiece to the town's impromptu square was a barracks of sorts, adjacent to a four-story military office compound. The Euphemian flag waved proudly above as dust blew through the town. A thin film of lavender dust seemed to hang over most things in the dead-end town, graffiti here and there in alleyways and street corners.

"I 'ssume this barracks is where our guy'll be?" Kairi questioned, looking over to Nicole.

“Looks like it.” Nicole nodded, taking the lead of the formation and starting towards the building. They were given many strange looks as they entered, but were treated all the same by the personnel, who all stood at attention upon seeing the Captain enter and look around.

“I’m looking for the man in charge here,” she announced. “It should be a Master Sergeant Wyatt J. Tannhauser.”

She was met with confused looks at first. “A sense of purpose, please, gentlemen?”

Before long, a youngish man with a mustache entered the main lobby, his arms folded as he stared down the guests with a stern look. “Who’re y’all supposed ‘tuh be? Backup?” His rank confirmed that he was, in fact, Wyatt Tannhauser — three chevrons above three rockers.

---==============---

Wyatt J. Tannhauser is commander of local security forces in Cloud 99. Disgraced of promotion opportunities after a failed attempt to secure the Guns of the Union, Tannhauser is embittered at being relegated to the defense of what he regards to be a backwards backwater town.

“Something along the lines, Master Sergeant,” Nicole explained. “Whaddya got for us?”

“Only a coupla leads.” Tannhauser explained. “We got confirmed reports that innies are holed up in the hamlet of Goldhowl’s Blunder, not too far up duh road from Cloud 99. If I was you, I’d capture and interrogate whoever’s in charge over there — might be useful.”

“Got any intel on defenders? Equipment?”

“Nope. Nothing on numbers, but they’s your average rank and file when it comes to the innies. We do know there’s some NCOIC over there — Sergeant Major Ryan Kelly. Used to be some rancher or farmer but some ASSHOLE Lieutenant bombed his house, now he’s fightin’ for them innies. I would try ‘n reason with him, but the man’s a nutjob that’ll shoot at me if he even so much as sees anything with a Euphemian flag onnit.”

“It’s our prerogative to take out that enemy camp at Goldhowl’s Blunder, but he’s yours once we get him over here.” Nicole explained. “I’d appreciate your guys remain on standby while we go in, clear house, and take down that terrorist NCO. He may know a thing or two about that ammo cache.”

McLean raidsed an eyebrow. "How’re we gonna get over th—”

“Kombis!” Tannhauser chuckled. “We’ve got a few lying around that y’all can squeeze yourself into. Seats four plus one gunner.”

"I'll drive," Kairi announced, beginning for the door.

"Hold up." Sparks looked to Tannhauser, hand raised. "How close can we safely go in, 'xactly? We don't got a clue of what their numbers are, or what they're fieldin'..."

“From what I can guesstimate based on my previous raids, I’d say a platoon-sized force of innies. Typical gear you’d suspect, but I’m thinkin’ Sinican and Maturochi guns, too. I wouldn’t be surprised if those REDFOR bastards ‘r the ones sending guns to ‘em.”

"I hear they send 'em weapons with their superguns... fire the stuff into orbit." Kairi thought aloud. The concept of launching things into orbit with superguns wasn’t something new. Nations that didn’t have the existing infrastructure or funding to afford space exploration projects or launches instead invested in large superguns that could launch satellite or supplies into orbit or, conversely, hit orbital targets as a cheap form of ASAT. Few mastered such a technique, but those among the few included Zhu and Maturoch, taking advantage of the lower gravity and orbital assists to launch supply probes at Vesta that were effectively invulnerable to Euphemian orbital defenses.

“If that’s the case, there’s nothing really we can do to stop them from bein’ launched.” McBride added.

“Stay on comms, Master Sergeant, and make sure your soldiers are ready to move out at a moment’s notice to secure Goldhowl’s Blunder. We’ll clear the way, you come in — simple, really. Just don’t be late.”

He gave a salute as she turned towards the others. “Yes ma’am.”

Sure enough, there was a small motor pool outside of the barracks, more akin to a shed with some car parts around than a proper prefabricated installation. A LTV-M246 Kombi utility vehicle was parked, an armored cupola for a gunner situated on the top of the vehicle. It wasn’t anything special, save for the paint being a lavender drab instead of an olive drab to match the wastelands, dunes, and forests of Timorius, all of which carried the same sickly shade of purple.

"Let's roll!" Stepping in, Kairi would get the engines started as the rest of the crew climbed aboard. With a roar, the engines came to life, a low purr resonating through the Kombi as the lieutenant began their drive. As expected, the vehicle handled in an almost surreal fashion, given Timorius's low-gravity environment. With a kick of dust, they departed Cloud 99, backwater scenery becoming distant as they began down the road.

Here and there Timorian wildlife flanked them, flora shifting subtly as they breathed in near-sync. It was unmistakably alien, especially for any who had spent most of their life on Vesta. As they drove on, a winged creature loomed overhead, about the size of a man. It seemed part insect, part reptile in its appearance — yet a bit of neither.

It had flown too low, however, and immediately it was caught in the cilia of the flytrap-like trees below. With an injection of neurotoxin it was subdued, falling into the membraneous maw of the alien plant. Timorius was far from a tamed land, no — the contrary, most of it was still untouched, unconquered by widespread industrialization.

Vast mountains, capped with snow, loomed in the distance. Cresting just above them was Vesta itself. Were one to look closely, one could note it glowed with the city lights of all civilization upon its surface... it was a reminder of home. Or was Tsion their true home? Not all exactly knew what to believe when it came to what they were taught — how could a world none of them had set foot upon for centuries be their home?

"Eyes peeled," Kairi instructed. "I don't want to drive into this village on accident..."

“Already got eyes from above, Lieutenant,” Nicole added, referring to her wrist-mounted M3 Command Module that currently was displaying their known location on a gridded, minimalistic map. “Continue for about half a klick, then stop at the fork and dismount.”

Upon reaching the fork in question and stopping, Nicole dismounted from the gunner’s cupola, using only one hand to practically springboard off and land on the ground, feats only achievable due to the lower gravity of the planetoid. It became evident that they had stopped on a road leading into a sort of gorge, in which the small village of Goldhowl’s Blunder could be seen, proudly flying a flag — the flag of Free Cantenia, that is.

“That’s Goldhowl’s Blunder, alright, situated in the aptly named Lavender Gulch,” McBride noted over comms.

Nicole turned away from the gulch and snapped over to the Kombi. “McBride, post!”

The red-haired scout dismounted, his helmet coming on with a hiss and a click as he jogged over to Nicole’s side. “Sergeant, what do you see down there?”

It became evident that Nicole hadn’t realized the modifications to their scout’s helmet: mounted binoculars had been added to the helmet, pivoting on a sort of hinge that could snap down over the “eyes” of the helmet. McBride pulled the goggles down and switched them on, surveying the gulch and the town with a few wide scans.

“...Not gonna lie…” McBride paused. “Can’t see shit, ma’am. I don’t see anyone down there.”

Nicole scoffed, her patience and short temper tested already. “...Are you—do you see anything?”

“No, ma’am.”

“Fuck.” She hissed. “I’ll get on comms and tell Tannhauser to get ready. I don’t know what we’re up against just yet. Someone else try the binocs to see if you can find anything.”

“You think I couldn’t see anything, ma’am?” McBride challenged, but, too intimidated to keep trying to taunt the Captain, he snapped off the binocular modification to his helmet and handed it to Kairi. “They can be used standalone or on the helmet, el-tee. I guess you can give it a shot.”

"Let's see..." Attaching the binocular mod to her own helmet, Kairi studied the periphery of the village. It seemed empty at first, save for the occasional civilians... children playing on the street... Kairi paused. From one of the windows, she could see it — two armed Cantenian insurgents, rifle resting on the windowsill.

A third emerged from behind, and an exchange seemingly followed — they were discussing something, living their lives... no different than them, really.

"I can confirm three targets, ma'am. Bearing... 280, give or take." Kairi announced, raising the binoculars away from her visor. McBride took back the binoculars and snapped them back onto his helmet, but Nicole still wasn’t convinced, even after she lowered her hand from the side of her ear. “Copy. Tannhauser’s enroute with two squads, so we’ll have to make due with what little intel we have now.”

"We'll fire on your mark, ma'am." Sparks took point, verifying the village area ahead through the sights of his own rifle.

“Roger.” Nicole nodded, assuming a very military tone and demeanor as she unslung her GPMG from her shoulder. “McBride, set that rifle of yours up on a rock. Everyone else, pick targets and call your shots — don’t accidentally flag a civvie.”

“..I’m thinking we’re gonna have to move in, anyways. Those innies will take human shields in a heartbeat..” McBride, as requested, unslung the AT rifle from his shoulder and propped its bipod against a rock, ripping one of the bulky box magazines he had attached to his suit with the roll of green duct tape from earlier, and jamming it into the weapon. “Eyes on one of the dudes in the buildings, bearing two-eight-zero. I’ll hit his ass through the wall if I have to.”

"I think I can take the one in the middle.." Kairi added.

"..oh, y'mean shoot him.." Sparks trailed off, returning to attention. "I'll take the one on th'right..."

“On my mark..” Nicole lined up her sights with one of the enemy riflemen, flicking her rifle’s safety off with her thumb. She waited, removed her finger from the trigger guard, and took a deep breath in and out, before squeezing the trigger.

The battle rifle kicked back into her shoulder — not too much of a far cry from the utter lack of recoil seen with the laser guns they had used before — but enough to give her a little jolt as she immediately prepared for a follow-up shot. One of the gunmen flopped backwards into the house he was in, blood spraying the back wall as it became evident she had hit him through the window.

Immediately, McBride chimed in and began to fire, one deafening clap of his ATR-M23 Devastator kicking up a small cloud of purple dust as a round sliced through the house he was aiming at. The other insurgent in the house had been quite literally disarmed by the AT rifle, which comically flew up into the air alongside his arm.

A loud CRACK from Kairi's own rifle quickly tore through the throat of the third man in the group, knocking the rebel soldier's lifeless body violently backwards. With the significantly reduced gravity on Vesta, the insurgent's tumble was enough to put a significant dent in the wall behind him, dust being kicked up in the wake of the takedown. Apt and well-deserved was the fate of any terrorist.

"Aw hell, I think there's a lot more than three of 'em.." Sparks murmured, scanning the village periphery. "We done pissed 'em off!"

“McBride, what do you see?” Nicole shouted.

“Times four PAX, one enemy left, near, falling back towards the inner parts of town.” He reported, folding the bipod. “If I were to guess, we’re dealing with two squads, and our NCO is somewhere in the middle of this shit!”

Nicole fanned towards the town with her free hand and advanced. “Keep moving forward! Check your targets, and check the windows.”

They moved in towards the town, with McBride taking a step back behind the group to aim at a target beyond their range. He fired again, a window shattering as the body of a gunman was roughly and aggressively slammed against the wall. As he moved up to rejoin the group, he let out a sharp howl as another shot rang out, practically missing their heads by a few inches but grazing the side of McBride’s helmet.

“Fuck—did y’all see him?!” He shouted, adrenaline taking over as he switched from worrying about his face to trying to locate the shooter. “Where thafuck did he go?!”

Nicole gave a knifehand towards the building they were pushing up towards, and McBride wasted no time in firing another shot, wooden splinters spraying everywhere as a man that had rushed for cover practically flew towards the door, ragdolling as he did so.

"Oh God DAMN it!" Sparks ducked into cover amid the foliage and rocks once more, checking the side of his powerpack. The outer layer of the suit around the power pack had been grazed, to which the medic hurriedly searched for any further damage. "..cover me, I'm putting on ducttape!"

With that, Kairi peered from cover, taking a shot at the enemy — and promptly dropping another one of the masked insurgents. As the firefight continued, bystanders were quick to flee the scene, either clearing the streets or hunkering down in their homes. Scenes like these had become all too commonplace in Cantenia with the advent of the CNLM's uprising.

Not even two seconds after Kairi dropped the insurgent, Kelley emerged from his cover, firing a single round. Blood splattered on the opposing wall as another insurgent toppled onto the ground lifeless, Kelley’s shot piercing straight through their neck.

“McBride, report!” Nicole propped to a knee and had her sights on the building their scout had previously been shooting at. McBride jogged over and knelt to a knee, pointing towards the bullet hole in the building. “Dude fuckin’ bolted inside. I think it was their CO.”

"We've got the building effectively encircled, right? I'll put some pressure, try to smoke 'em out..." Running over, Kairi took cover behind one of the rocks, ducking. In another moment, a flame seemed to emerge, floating just above her palms before it was sent careening into the side of the house.

Judging by the screams inside, she hadn't managed to kill anyone — or do much at all, really, besides punch a hole into the wall of the house, fire slowly beginning to work its way through the Timorian wood. "Didn't do jack, ma'am!" Kairi called, ducking in cover once more.

Nicole gave a grunt. “Fuck, we’re gonna have to go—”

"COME N' GET US, FED COCKSUCKERS!" The yell from within the house was enough of an indication the enemy still intended to resist, a few potshots whizzing past over Kairi's head, in the general direction of the rest of Orpheus Detachment. The accuracy of the shots seemed to degrade as they continued, the men within no doubt in a panic.

"I say there's at least two of 'em in there, judgin' by the voices!" Kairi noted, ducking as more rounds flew past. "If we want any chance of interrogatin' them, though... we gotta go nonlethal or somethin'..."

“Set your Vindicators to stun, and move in!” Nicole ordered, met with a wall of automatic gunfire from the windows.

"Th—they're puttin' up a fight ma'am— AH SHIT!" Kairi was quickly sent back into cover. By the look of it, she was checking her suit for breaches — presumably she'd been grazed. "I'm okay, it's just—

"SHOW 'EM THE WHAT FOR!!!" One of the insurgents in the building yelled at the top of their lungs.

BANG BANG BANG BANG

A bullet slammed into Nicole as she advanced, almost causing her to lose her footing as her right leg took most of the damage. Nicole returned fire at the windows, practically shooting at full auto as she yelled for Sparks to come forwards with the duct tape. “Sparks! TAPE!”

"Copy that, ma'am!" Handing Nicole the roll of tape, Sparks ducked into cover once more as the bullets flew past, the insurgents making their desperate standoff.

“Hey, L-T, why not do that fire thing again, flush ‘em out?” McBride suggested, trying to find another piece of cover to put his rather unwieldy AT rifle up against. “We could really use a trump card right now!”

---==============---

A gift of unnatural power.

As Nicole regained her bearings, so too had Kairi — and with the roar of the unnatural flames she'd brought into being around her, Kairi sent forth the ball of flame barreling into the side of the house. With a thunderous crash, the building had been breached. The roars of the flames were soon reduced to a low hiss as they practically diminished on command, Kairi peering forth to study the interior of the space.

"I—I didn't hurt 'em, ma'am! I just knocked 'em out!" Kairi called, ducking once more for good measure. Nicole held up a balled fist as she peered over cover to inspect the damage done to the building and its inhabitants herself. She gave an “all clear” sign with her other hand and stood up, advancing towards what remained of the building with her rifle up. “I’ll take point — McBride, pull security on the exit. Everyone else, you’re with me.”

“Got it, ma’am!” As McBride went around to take cover and pull security by the door, Nicole advanced into the building, checking her corners as she immediately moved upstairs to check on the two enemy NCOs.

Slumped against the wall was a Cantenian insurgent wearing the usual violet-tinted hand-me-down BDU and respirator, trying to dress a wound on his arm and a burn on his leg, but there was also a man with a cowboy hat nearby, whom Nicole immediately pointed her weapon at: Sergeant Major Ryan Kelly.

---==============---

Ryan Kelly is a Sergeant Major of the Cantenian Insurgency. Formerly a rancher, he was driven to terrorism after Cantenian security forces mistakenly bombed his home, an act which culminated in the death of his wife and sons. He leads a small platoon of local insurgent troops, launching raids on Cloud 99 from his headquarters in Goldhowl's Blunder.

"Y'got me good.." He murmured between bated breaths, clutching a burn on his arm. "Never figgered Tannhauser would call up you space cowboys to deal with me... fuckin' hell.." Sighing, he lowered his head. "If y'handin' me over to that asshole Tannhauser, y'might as well shoot me thru the head."

“Your days aren’t over yet.” Nicole kept her weapon trained on the man, barely even flinching as he spoke. “And, no — Tannhauser is out of the picture. Act nice and the boys in the supermax may let you pick your own cell.”

"..y'know, y'don't know what you've got 'till you've lost it. I didn't wanna fight in this war. Left me no choice when they killed Beatrice..." Grunting, he dragged himself to rest against a wall, sighing with relief as if a weight were lifted from his shoulders. "..my boys out there. Y'killed them all off too?" He asked, as if solemnly knowing the answer.

She gave a nod. “Not like Tannhauser would do them any better. Let’s talk, Kelly.” Leaning in for emphasis, she loomed atop the man, much like the Ourielist church outside, which cast an ominous shadow over half of the town. “That weapons cache — we know you know about it. Where is it, and who sent it?”

Ryan chuckled. "I think we both know who sent it, lady... it's about forty-five klicks north o'here. The truck's out back, you sure's hell ain't gettin' there on foot. D'ywant the fuckin' keys, too? Kiss on the cheek n' some goodluck wishes? Fuckin' Fed bastards. My boys'll put a bullet in you!"

There were only two nations advanced enough to be able to send supplies from Vesta to Timorius without having to rely on spacecraft: Zhu, and Maturoch, but a gut feeling was telling Nicole that it had to be the Maturochi behind this. Their increasingly aggressive stance in Vesperanze, their foreign policy towards Terminus in recent years...whereas Zhu was passive, Maturoch was aggressive, so there had to be no other explanation behind this,.

“Fucking sand-n¥¥¥¥¥..” She whispered under her breath. “Damn it. I should’ve known.”

"We already have our Kombi waiting out, reinforcements on standby..." Kairi walked in, the sunlight casting a shadow as she entered. "We won't be needing any truck. What exactly are we lookin' at on the way there?" The flame hovered just above her palm, telling the Cantenian insurgent all he needed to know.

"..Ouriel have mercy.." He muttered, shaking his head. "Two roads lead up to the cache. Mountain path might be treacherous, but it sure's hell beats goin' thru the woods. My boys've SEEN things..."

“Yeah? What kind of things?” Nicole challenged. She had to remember that Terminus technically had eyes and ears all over, but given the CNLM’s adoption of guerrilla tactics, simply relying upon aerial and orbital reconnaissance as a crutch wouldn’t help them for long.

Ryan scoffed. "It's Gorex matin' season. They're extra aggressive this time o'year.. I's seen 'em cut through an entire platoon like wet paper. The Yden Forest is crawlin' with the fuckers... that's why we steer clear o'there."

---==============---

A bioluminescent hunter, the Gorex makes use of its sharp, venomous bladed tail to swiftly impale and kill its prey. It feeds using a proboscis-like tongue appendage, which it uses to drain nutrients from its victims.

"Mountain range north of us..." Sparks trailed off. "That ought to be the Epper Mountains, I figure."

"Then the cache's near the Alpha Gun." Kairi blurted out. The Alpha Gun was among the variety of aging superweapons operating on the Timorian surface. It had been vastly expanded since the days of the Vestan Wars, the ancient supergun acting as extraplanetary support. Theoretically, it could hit anything on Vesta — and was in itself one of the many deterrents in active use by the Federal States of Euphemie to maintain their grip on Vesta and its moons.

---==============---

The Epper Mountain range spans much of the lands north of Cloud 99, though their peaks serve a more utilitarian purpose as well... concealing the Alpha Gun to the north.

“I’m making a route as we speak.” Nicole said, suddenly reaching up to her ear as her radio chirped.

FEDATOM COMMUNICATOR

[MSGT. W. J. TANNHAUSER] ”Orpheus-1, this is Tannhauser, we’re movin’ in on the town. Y’all got the target?”

[CPT. N. PRICE] "Affirmative. We’ve also located the cache — it’s near the Alpha Gun. I’ll get patched in with Alpha Gun security forces if needed, but we’ll be on our way."

[MSGT. W. J. TANNHAUSER] “Yes, ma’am.”

She looked back at her team. “He’s here, which means we’re leaving, and so is Kelly.

Ryan sighed in resignation. "..least I's got some brothers still out there to live for. We'll get thru this t'gether, ain't that right, Hoss?" He looked over to the other insurgent, who had removed his respirator to smoke a cigarette. The man simply nodded.

"We'll be crossin' the mountains.." Kairi noted. "This little village's pretty close, I'm sure there's a road or somethin' that leads up there. Ready to get us on the move whenever you're ready, ma'am."

“Orpheus, we’re mounting up.” Nicole announced, starting towards the exit of the building with Kelly and his henchman in tow. Outside, two Kombis and an ASV-M250 Thylacine were outside, Tannhauser lounging on the light armored vehicle in question as the others escorted Kelly and his adjutant outside. While they were turned over to Tannhauser for transport back to Cloud 99, McBride walked up to the rest of the team, his weapon already stowed away on his armor. “Where we goin’?”

“Over the Epper Mountains, to the Alpha Gun. The cache is somewhere near there,” Nicole explained, pointing to the mountain range in question, where the gun had been cleverly hidden between the gargantuan peaks. “I’ve already got the route set. Armstrong, you’re driving again.”

"Got it, ma'am!" Hopping aboard the Kombi, Kairi got it running in no time, the engines of the utility vehicle roaring to life. A dirt road of faded violet trailed upward into a treacherous pass resting between the sharp peaks ahead. Surely this was the route the insurgent officer had mentioned...

The road was winding and treacherous, the lack of guardrails on some sections only serving to reassert the fact that the only thing keeping them from a long and dizzy fall down the mountain was their driving skill, luck, or some combination thereoef.

“Two klicks to destination,” Nicole muttered, taking the occasional glance at her wrist-mounted mini-computer as they moved through the mountains, her other hand tightly gripping the pistol grip of her LMG-M392. “Eyes peeled!”

Kairi kept her attention to the road, continuing on through the pass. Flanking them at both sides were the steep cliffsides of the mountains around them, peaks capped with snow. The treacherous path lead them on through the primordial, alien mountain range, suit displays indicating a cool breeze was coursing through the pass.

"Looks to be clear... watch your flanks." Kairi called from the driver's seat, mindful of their surroundings as they continued through the mountain range. Here and there the rusty carcasses of military convoys served as testament to the real danger posed by rebel forces in the mountains, by now months — if not years — old.

“Think that enemy arty is still here?” McBride muttered, much to Nicole’s confusion. What was he talking about, exactly?

"Hope not," muttered Sparks. "I ain't got time to end up like those convoys..."

“Enemy arty, Sergeant?” Nicole asked. “I’ve been to Timorius a few times myself - what do you mean by this?”

“Mas’sar’nt said there was some pesky mobile arty piece somewhere in the mountains, shooting and scooting. If I were to guess, it’s fuckin’ foreign advisers at it.”

"Y'mean the desert folk?" questioned Sparks.

"Maturoch's no desert.." replied Kairi.

"It was when we glassed 'em." Sparks chuckled to himself. "Figure they're teachin' these dumbasses 'bout the curvature of the moon..."

“If we get a chance — a window to find that mobile arty piece and take it out, we’ll take it,” Nicole instructed, keeping her eyes peeled as they moved through the mountains. “Kairi, 1 klick from the gun, stop at this fork in the road up here.”

Up ahead was another split in the road, the monolithic Alpha Gun cleverly hidden among the jagged peaks of the mountains. Nicole prepared to dismount as their Kombi slowed down to a crawl

"Think we've got something up ahead," Kairi said. "We're far enough from Goldhowl's Blunder... that's gotta mean something."

“I...see it too.” On the grainy satellite map function on the command module, just barely visible to Nicole, was some anomaly: some blurry, seemingly man-made feature on the map. She gave the command to halt with her free hand and dismounted from the Kombi’s gunner seat, moving into a prone among the violet-colored dirt and plants as she inspected what was up ahead.

“Counting about… fifteen men at the encampment.” Nicole said aloud. “Pick your targets.”

"Watch this.." Taking cover behind the rocks, Kairi peered ahead. Rifle in hand, she noted the targets below... before firing an automatic spray into the enemies below. Almost immediately, four of them dropped dead, Kairi swiftly ducking afterward.

“CONTAACT!!” Shouting came from the encampment as Nicole kept prone and opened fire on the site. Two enemy soldiers dropped dead as the others scattered for cover, an additional four stumbling to the ground dead or dying as she practically emptied her magazine into the campsite. “Sparks, AT man on the pre-fab!” She directed the combat medic to the prefabricated watch tower in question with a knife hand. “Take it out!”

RATATATAT

With a spray of automatic fire, Sparks dropped the anti-tank operator, his corpse falling limp amidst the rebel camp. With another shot, Kairi joined in — another rebel infantryman collapsing in the killzone that had become of the encampment.

Bullets whistled past Nicole’s head as she moved towards new cover, dropping to a knee behind a rock formation adjacent to the now bullet-ridden tree.

“Sparks!” She screeched.

BANG

Sparks' shot had seemingly missed the remaining soldier by mere inches, practically sending the man tumbling back in surprise. Quickly composing himself once more, the rebel dragged himself into cover again, rifle in hand.

Nicole’s attention was once again fixated on eliminating the enemy shooters, so she turned to Orpheus’s resident sniper for assistance. “McBride, support!”

CA-THOONK

A visible vapor trail appeared beside Nicole as the last of the enemy riflemen jerked upwards, his body flung backwards like a ragdoll from the strength of McBride’s AT rifle. It dawned upon Nicole that the man was now missing his head, reduced to a fleshy mess of bone and other viscera that scattered elsewhere.

“Scratch one.” McBride called out, racking the charging handle of the ATR-M23 Devastator back as he slapped a fresh magazine into the large weapon. “I think I’ve got him, ma’am. How about it?”

“Push the camp! I need sectors of fire on those two tents: Armstrong,” Nicole directed towards the tents with a knife hand, making a sort of invisible wedge. “Go with Kelley and cover the left half, I’ll push middle, Sparks and McBride push right.”

On Nicole’s command, Orpheus pushed, sprinting nearly 100 meters in about fifteen seconds, a bit of a marvel to behold given the bulky suits they wore and the heavy weapons they carried, but nothing too difficult given the lighter gravity on Timorius overall. While they were running, Nicole spotted a human poke out of one of the tents, a flash filling her vision as a bullet ripped past her, bouncing off towards one of the trees behind the sprinting marines. The repeated beeping in her ears confirmed her worst: the bullet had penned the suit, but the fact that she wasn’t experiencing any excruciating pain was at least a reassurance that she hadn’t been hurt.

“I’m hit—” her callout was immediately drowned out by the deafening boom of McBride’s AT rifle, another vapor trail ripping past Orpheus and hitting the enemy insurgent straight in the chest, spraying a gory red mess on the walls of the tent as a dinner plate-sized hole appeared in his chest.

Almost immediately, the other soldier threw his weapon away and thrust his hands in the air, begging for Orpheus to spare him. “Don’t shoot! Please. I’m done with this shit — I’m through.”

A bit late, don’t you think… Nicole grumbled to herself, regaining her composure. “Kairi, restrain that guy. I’ll see who this guy here is..”

She gingerly stepped over the bodies that littered the ground, using the barrel of her rifle to open up the gore-spattered camouflage tent.

---==============---

Lieutenant Brendan Tarr was originally an officer of of Cantenia's security forces, tasked with the suppression of striking miners in the Collins Belt. However, Tarr and his men made the decision to join the strikers. He would form one of the first organized CNLM groups in the region after the rebellion's official founding. Since then, Tarr had overseen guerrilla warfare in the region and proven himself proficient at his doctrine.

Inside was a man whose cowboy hat miraculously managed to stay on even after his death, the faded “butter bar” insignia on his uniform, the RAID-modified violet fatigues he wore, and the respirator all confirming that he was, in fact, an enemy officer, a vice grip on his weapon even in death.

“He’s dead.” She said unceremoniously, lowering her weapon.

FEDATOM COMMUNICATOR

[LTCOL. B. LAMAR] ”I’m seeing what you’re seeing on the helmet feed. That would be ex-Lieutenant Brendan Tarr, originally a platoon leader in the Cantenia Security Forces. He and his men went rogue after they were tasked to suppress striking miners in the Collins Belt...and they themselves joined the strikers. You killed a very important man, Captain.”

[CPT. N. PRICE] "How so, sir?."

[LTCOL. B. LAMAR] ”He was one of the first organizers of the CNLM in the region, and oversaw guerrilla warfare operations in the region. Killing him will put a dent in their skill, as he was one of the only few innies that had a military background.”

-----------

[MSGT. W. J. TANNHAUSER] ”Orpheus-1, this is Tannhauser, we heard some shooting while we was on our way to give you some backup to the cache site. Everything alright?”

[CPT. N. PRICE] "Affirmative, we’ve located the camp and neutralized one hostile. We need EPW on-site for one POW...and a shit ton of casualty reports written. For the enemy, that is."

[MSGT. W. J. TANNHAUSER] “Yes ma’am. We’re Oscar Mike.”

"Think we've just found our cache, ma'am!" Kairi's voice was audible not far from where Nicole stood, and it quickly became apparent what she'd happened upon — upon an overlook viewing the alien forests stretching below, mountain ranges and Alpha Gun in view, stacks of metal crates lay about, each one bearing worn Maturochi flags, labels in cuneiform.

A Maturochi A-44 rifle rest against a barrel beside the crate Kairi sat upon, indicative of the unspoken sponsor of the rebels. Not far were a few light utility vehicles, also Maturochi-made.

---==============---

Cache secured.

“It’s like they didn’t even bother to make it discreet,” McBride grunted, assessing the crates with curiosity.

“Guess my inkling was right..” Nicole’s voice trailed off, thus confirming her worst. Maturoch was supporting the Cantenian insurgency, likely in more ways than just sending them weapons shipments. “These guns...too elegant for Sinican hands.”

FEDATOM COMMUNICATOR

[CPT. N. PRICE] "Orpheus-1 to command: be advised, we have located the weapons cache, Maturochi in origin."

[LTCOL. B. LAMAR] ”Very well. Stick tight, we’ll pick you and the weapons up quick.”

"That a mission accomplished, I figure.." Sparks murmured, noting the weapons cache. "Don't think this'll be the first time we'll be seeing raghead meddlin' in this fight."

Nicole could only nod at that statement as she looked back at the blue orb in the sky that was Vesta. Sparks was right. With how aggressive Maturoch was posturing itself in Veris, the Tiamat subcontinent, and now Timorius, one could only wonder how deep the Maturochi were in this geopolitical game of pulling strings and pushing pawns.
Last edited by Turmenista on Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Da Liang
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Da Liang » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:14 pm

HALL OF HEROES - EPISODE 1B
THE FEAST OF LIONS
Theme Music: Antonio Vivaldi: Storm

In the feast of lions, the divine right of a free nobility was challenged by a concept of a monolithic divine right of a king to rule as the sole absolute monarch over the entire realm. However, it was not as a linear process of evolution but rather a devolution after the discontented nobility hastily elected someone they thought to be someone that could represent their interests better.

Royaume de Châtaigne - Ardes
Antoine Alexander de Richelieu- Château-du-Roi
Florel 45th, 245 AE

After the King's rather weird one-liner, the feast finally began. It was rather more awkward that I was asked to seat near him since I was a Peerage noble and my sovereignty was supposedly spiritually equal to that of the King despite technically being someone of lower rank. While I was pretentiously trying to elegantly sip the appetizer soup like a proper nobleman, my mind was filled with constant anticipation of what the King has to say since he's been looking at my general direction for a while now. Was this his way of intimidating me? If it was, it was truly a terrifying way of doing so. After a while, I tried to ignore it and focused on getting the main course - an array of differently cooked exotic animals like fowls, turtles, quails, and pheasants.

“I see that the Duke of Richelieu had a rather productive discussion with my son.” I almost had a heart attack when the King suddenly broke the silence while I was not paying attention. Damn him, was he waiting for the exact moment to get an upper hand?

“Nothing sort of important.”

“Is that so? What do you think about the main course?”

"Not bad. While exotic animals aren't exactly a niche of mine, it seems nice to be accustomed to uncommon tastes." Pretentious courtesies that prevent insult to the King's generosity aside, it was one of the worst dishes I've ever eaten and I felt like vomiting at the spot.

"I see..." He paused for a while to eat and said nothing for a few minutes before suddenly talking again after I agonizingly anticipated on what he had to say. "Recently, I heard some rather unpleasant rumors and for some reason, they revolved around a certain powerful individual. Usually, the rumors include a plot of rebellion as a way of...freeing the nobility from dictatorial rule. Does the Duke have any opinions regarding this?" What a strange conversational switch, did he finally realize that the food was terrible and just stopped talking about it and changed topics entirely?

Side comments aside, I'm positive that the powerful individual that the King was talking about was me. My power in the realm was technically second only to the King and I was confident that if I were to theoretically rebel against the crown, half of the realm would take arms with me and join my triumphant march towards Ardes. But I decided back then that he was a foolish man for thinking that I'd be willing to openly defy him and concluded that his godlike appearance didn't match his brain fitting for a common man.

"I have nothing to say aside from guaranteeing military support to support the crown if armed rebellion occurs."

"Do you really have nothing else to say?"

"What are you trying to get me to say?"

"If that's the case, I have something to say." The King changed his already dreary trone with a rather more serious and deeper voice.

"I'm all ears, your majesty."

“Say, Duke, why don’t we finally unite the realm once and for all?” The King stood up looked at me rather intensely in the eye. The people nearby overheard this and it started an unpleasant domino effect which made almost all people in the room focus their attention between me and the King.

“Have we not united already? Those who speak our language and its vulgar derivative swore loyalty to the crown.” I also stood up in order to get an upper hand in the conversation.

“Symbolically united yes, but I'm trying to say that we urgently need to be functionally united. If your continued defiance alongside with your circle of buddies goes on for longer, it will make us a comparatively weaker state than the rest of Vesta.”

“Weaker? Are we not one of the wealthiest realms in Vesta?”

“Wealthy... yes, but what we have is a weak state that’s divided by individualist agendas. Give it a few decades and other nations will overtake us.”

“Sure... sure, and how would willingly submitting the god-given rights of the nobility to your majesty, increase the power of the realm?”

"Hear, hear!" Shouted some of my supporters shouted in the back - a much-needed confidence boost.

“Our God-given rights fall short against the strength of the collective will of our people. This was something I’ve learned in my brief travels in the country of the southern seas.”

"Shame...Shame...." Some of the nobility grumbled as the sovereign himself disregarded the very foundation of our individual rights in favor of a foreign absolutist concept.

“The collective will of our people is different than go- people of...different composition. I’ve likewise visited the Zoo...Dew...Jew...I don't know how to pronounce Dynasty... It's clear that the way they work as people is different from ours and emulating how they do things will be a cause of our realm’s downfall if you don't mind my saying.” Some were laughing as I failed to pronounce a Sinican word.

“In what dimension you were looking that made you think that our people are different from others? Did God not grant humanity, despite varying appearances, equality of their mind and souls? I believe the Duke has a misplaced view on humanity.”

“Did he? It seems to me that God favors some people more than others.”

“In what way?”

“Your majesty, God is the very reason why people of our footing is the superhuman of society, for we stand at the top of our men of common blood whose vulgar language is different from the voice we inherited from our god gifted ancestors. Needless to say, despite being commoners, they also received more blessings than men of questionable….color.” The audiences were less noisy about this but one look at them and they seem to agree with my proposition.

“The last time I've studied the holy bible, I couldn't recall and cite a certain chapter and verse that mentioned this outlandish claim. Are you trying to justify your defiance to my supposed divine authority with your pseudo-religious talk, Duke? I might forgive you if you could cite the verse which justifies your claims of the supremacy of our humanity.”

"Hear, hear...?" Damn, even my own supporters seem to look at me with doubt in their eyes now. I needed to change the topic in order to create a premise where all of the things I say are more agreeable.

“My point stands, we are different from them. Our individual souls are free from the clutches of bug-like collectivist behavior. ”

“Your point being...disobedience to the crown? Since your ascension to the rank of a Peerage noble, you’ve changed a lot. You used to be so obedient but now you’re doing things as you please...I don’t necessarily dislike disobedient brats but you’re just on a whole different level. You've demonstrated your untrustworthiness before this useless conversation.”

“What?”

"I asked you if the food was good or bad and you told me it was good despite being terrible. A proper subject would've prevented his sovereign from consuming sub-standard food." The King's loyal subjects laughed at the unintended joke.

"Well, a proper sovereign wouldn't serve his subjects bad food and expect something good in return, just like your attempt at being the king of this realm." Most of the people in the room gasped and the King himself was taken aback.

"Defy me one more time and I will take matters into my own hands."

"Brothers and sisters, the King has lost faith in his own divinity and it is now questionable whether he had divinity in the first place. It was us, the nobility, who have brought to prosper and now the King wants to take our efforts to satisfy his own ego. Is this man what we really want as a representative of our people?"

"No!" Shouted around half of the room.

"Stop trying to play prophet!" Some of the King's supporters jeered at me.

"Shame on you, DISSENTER! Guards, drag this man and his band of rebels outside the palace and have them executed for treason." Roared the King's son with the most horrifying yet funny face at the time. At the time, I severely regretted my actions as the royal guards were slowly marching towards my general direction while pointing their halberds to everyone who insulted the King. Surprisingly at the time, I seemed to have accepted that death must be the repercussion for losing my cool and succumbing to my impulses. However....

"Cease!" The King shouted at the royal guards, to the astonishment of everyone in the room including me.

"Your Majesty!" The royal guards stopped moving towards my general direction and knelt down in front of the King.

"Duke of Richelieu, your idea of representation is rather interesting..." He paused for a while. "Highborns! Perhaps all of you should cast your votes on who you recognize and legitimize as King." The nine of them were also as equally surprised and looked at each other with visible confusion.

Voting for a King...it's been a century since that happened and the last time it happened, it started a decade long war of succession because the half-breed sibling couldn't accept the fact that he lost by a single margin. But, this is the first time where someone not from the royal bloodline became a candidate for voting. At this time, I was unsure whether this was the evolution of our society or its degeneration, how could I imagine that the divinity of the King's position will now be available to those that didn't possess the God-chosen bloodline of the King. However, with another impulse, I accepted the challenge.

"Since you spared my life, I'll give you absolute authority to decide on the conditions."

"That's rather brave of you. Let's see, I'll make it a simple zero-sum game gamble..."

"Yikes..."

"If I get a majority vote, you and those who voted for you will be killed on the spot. If you get a majority vote, I'll let you secede as you wish and even challenge me for the crown if you're brave enough to face me the second time - if I haven't lopped off your head from your shoulders that is. Right, you have no say in this and we will begin voting now."

"Right."

"Highborns, raise your hand with an open palm if you decide to legitimize me as the King of the realm and have the Duke's head on a pike outside my castle or do it with a closed fist if you legitimize the Duke of Richelieu's sovereignty and claim to the throne. Don't look and talk to each other and raise your hand in ten seconds."

"Wha-"

"10.."

"Oh for god's sake, your majesty. Just drag this interloper out from this castle immediately!"

"9..."

"Who are you-"

"I said, no talking! 8!"

"By the heavens...."

"7..."

"6..."

"5...Also, those who abstain will be severely punished..4!"

"By the Trinity and the Saints...Help us!"

"3..."

"This King is hopeless, he's trying to destroy his own Kingdom due to his vanity."

"2.."

"1...Raise your hands, now!" I couldn't bear it and just closed my eyes.

However, after fifteen seconds have passed while my heart was racing and my sweat dropping uncontrollably. It seems like there were no guards that came to drag me out and everyone seemed shocked and squabbling among each other. I slowly opened my eyes and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Out of nine highborn nobility, I could see five of them raising their hands with closed fists. The King was also rather surprised about what he was seeing as well, was he confident that he'd be able to chop off my head?

The high nobility of Beaumont, Saint Michel, Guevremont, Rochefort, and Bellegard seemed to have declared their allegiance to me as sovereign while the King received support from Beauvillers, Saint Georges, Vaillancourt, and Roland. It seemed like it's my lucky day but it really wasn't. I wish I should've just followed what the King said right from the start and live the rest of my life in relative comfort because the pit that I've dug for myself certainly wasn't one that'd give me happiness for the years to come. But, this was the path I've chosen by me free will and not something that someone decided for me. I am going to tread on it with confidence, even if it was filled with thorns.

"Du- Antoine, I swear in the name of the Holy Trinity and the Saint of Chastain, the name of my father and his fathers before him that I, the King of Chastain, will preserve the unity of the realm by honorably fighting the pretender in the battlefield in order to create a state that will embody not only the whims and wishes of the nobility but to extend god's grace to that of the entirety of our people under my rule."

"Well, your majesty, or should I say, Louis-Alphonse, this is the second time where our realm is divided between two Kings. I am going to assure you that I swear in the name of the Holy Trinity and the Saint of Richelieu, the name of my father and his fathers before him that I, the King of Richelieu, will make sure that I will honorably fight you in the battlefield and prevent the further division of our society by ensuring that the natural rights of god's chosen individuals will be upheld under my rule."

"Very well, want to drink some wine before we decimate our own country?"

"I don't consume alcohol."

"What a shame, I was actually starting to consider poisoning it."

"Please just get me out of this place safely."

To be continued

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:59 am

COLDHEARTED
S1E2

CITY OF FLAMES

Following the major terror attack in the Commonwealth of Hampton, two agents of Corporate Security’s Department Seven have been dispatched to the former Euphemian colony of Hestana to search for information on the perpetrating cell…

Golding, Commonwealth of Hampton
Murmere 17th, 251
5:03 PM

“Welcome back to the Department… You can thank me later for fast forwarding the rest of your psych visit and getting you here right now, by the way. Could even say you owe me one,” said Chantelle Spears, as she and Nik Priestly walked through the doors at the Corporate Security office in Golding, the one where Department Seven was based out of - it was also, notably, not far from the site of the terror attack which Nik had attempted to prevent only days before, falling short in his efforts by a matter of inches and seconds.

“I could be here faster if it wasn’t for the psych visit,” Nik pointed out, the pair of CorpSec agents making their way past the reception area and the point where they’d had to slide their key cards through the scanners to head deeper into the building. Fact of the matter was, it wouldn’t have mattered much either way if Nik and his assistant Shena had ended up on the case again immediately. Corporate Security had only just gotten to the bottom of just who the suspect was and what the motivation of the attack was, and there were still important questions lingering.

If they didn’t answer those questions well enough, there would almost certainly be more panic, fear, and attacks in the future… It was of the utmost importance.

“There’s a reason I made the call that I made today, and it’s because today is the first day we’ve had real information on just who Rhodes Peterson is. Took a search of his apartment, and then all of the data had to be analyzed… The good news is that we have some results about what caused the attack and we know what might cause similar ones in the future. We know enough to think of strategies to counter it, even,” Chantelle continued, pushing the elevator button to head up to one of the higher floors as the doors of it closed once her and Nik were inside.

“You make it sound like there’s also bad news,” the other agent pointed out, arms folded as they rose floor by floor - by the time they came out at the spot Chantelle intended, they would probably have a good overlooking view of the city around them. Not that this was a time when they could afford to focus on things like that instead of the matter at hand.

“The bad news is that we’re dealing with an out of country case, and more fucking Euphemians,” Chantelle finished with a slight sigh. “If you thought things were hot on the border with Hestana already, get a load of this… Peterson acted as a lone wolf, yes, but he was pushed into doing what he did by the same organization that provided the explosives. I’m talking about the Euphemian Action Movement, which is based, of course, in Hestana across the border. Seems like they coaxed Peterson into doing it through the internet, and stopping anything there is… Hard at best.”

She paused, the doors of the elevator opening. The two of them started walking in the direction of Chantelle’s office, not needing to even look which way they were going. They had been this route plenty of times in the past after all. “It’s hard to stop information, and it’s the internet that the EAM used to push Peterson from disgruntled employee to terrorist. We’re working on getting on that, but the more effective answer rather than trying to put a band-aid on the problem by jamming web connections is dealing with the cell responsible after tracking them into their own territory through their connections.”

They passed into the office, Chantelle shutting the door behind her before she walked around the other side of the table and sat down, gesturing to a map that was already on her desk. “We know that the cell responsible is based in Flame but we don’t have a ton more info than that other than knowing a specific part of the city. You and Shena are going to head there and find the info for yourselves before doing something about it. Tall task, I know.”

“Tall task? Sounds more like an impossible one,” pointed out Nik, sitting down and looking at the map of Flame which was sitting on the desk - the city didn’t quite rival Golding in the same way, but it was still an impressive capital… Not because it was developed, but because they had managed to fit so many people into a relatively small space. Even if the conditions were all around not great.

“The EAM has a presence in Flame… Well, of course they do. It’s their ‘capital’ of sorts. Use that to your advantage and interrogate them,” Chantelle said simply, laying the challenge out in front of Nik. “And when you find out about the cell, and get enough information on them and their connections.”

She smirked slightly and made a gun gesture with her hand, jerking her hand forward shortly after in a bang gesture. “You have the authorization to do anything in your power to eliminate them before the next attack of theirs. Consider yourself and Shena to be on the front lines of national security, with a time sensitive mission. I wouldn’t give this job to you if I didn’t trust you, and I hope that trust will be repaid before the executives decide that my head is the one on the line for fucking it up.”

“Not fucking this one up,” Nik said, pausing. “Suppose you’ve given me everything we need to know, then?”

“We’ll send you anything else that we find out as soon as we’re aware of it,” Chantelle informed. “But yes, you’re both agents of Corporate Security… You should have enough training and know how to handle yourselves without the Department holding your hands the entire way. Clear enough?”

“Clear as my vibe is right now,” said Shana, smirking from behind Nik after standing up, already prepared to move out. “We’ll get some payback on that EAM cell for sure, they’ll regret they ever decided to do shit in our city.”

“Welcome to Flame… Population, too many,” said the CorpSec driver of the armored vehicle, as they crossed into the boundaries of the capital city of the Society of Hestana. Not that this place was the most organized, like a regular country. There was a reason it was considered by many to be the same as the tribes where mob rule reigned and where leaders could be deposed and replaced in a single day, or the ones that relied on sacking their neighbors to get ahead… Hestana had collapsed once, and it had never quite gotten back up, assembling itself around a government loosely but not quite having all of the things that made a government respected.

In other words, the former Euphemian colony which had fallen on hard times had been a warlord state as long as anyone could remember, with a bit of a democratic tendency but at the end of the day still typically falling into the same traps as decidedly less democratic tribal neighbors - neighbors who in this case were often shared with Hampton, with the latter being the premier player in the immediate region.

As they entered the city in the armored car - and it had to be armored if they didn’t want to end up dealing with problems before they were ready and able to take the initiative on their own - it was apparent just what the effects of that current state of things were on this place. There weren’t a lot of cars on the road, and rather, they had to avoid hitting people as they moved through the streets, some of those streets narrow once they had gotten inside the city itself and not the outskirts area around it. They were going through a market of sorts, one that would hardly look out of place somewhere like Amiriyya, and they weren’t slowing down regardless of what was in front of them - only stopping when it was necessary, not just convenient for the other person.

“Damn, you’re going to hit someone…” Shana said in the direction of the driver, as they continued through the area, nearly hitting a cow in one case but managing to swerve to the side in time to head around - they were lucky they hadn’t run into it in a more narrow street.

“There’s always a risk presented by stopping here,” the driver informed them. “If you want to get to where you’re headed without an ambush, considering the place we’re coming from and the place we’re in now, we won’t stop…”

“Keep it moving, then.”

Their armored car was headed closer to the center of the city where they had the highest chance of finding what they were looking for - though the specific location hadn’t been determined per say. It wasn’t a nice place but it was a decently big sized place, and there wasn’t just one location where they might find the kind of person that they were looking for. It was the reason why, as they traversed the streets, Nik reached down for his tablet and checked the list of possible locations that CorpSec had provided before the trip began…

All of it was theoretical of course. If they had an exact spot, they likely would have simply raided it with heavier forces than a couple of agents armed with pistols already. Or simply struck it from the air - it wasn’t as if Hestana could protect from that kind of attack, though they did have a military of sorts here, which was in conflict often enough with the northern rival territory of New Westland. Despite any closeness that had existed in the old world between Euphemie and Oesterra, the pair of former colonies that descended from each one respectively didn’t feel the same way about each other as their predecessors.

And New Westland happened to be one of the places where Hampton received intelligence about Hestana and the threats within it, as a state that was… A bit more aligned to their goals, even if it wasn’t under their finger per say at the moment. That would require more negotiation, something that another department other than Corporate Security would have to handle the specifics of - though, being more developed than any of these surrounding factions by a large margin, except for maybe the city states to their northwest, who had done pretty well in staying developed themselves, they had a lot to offer to any of the more tribal or martial states in their immediate presence.

“Take us to the Square of Flames,” said Nik, referring to the center of the city and more specifically, the things that were set up there. There was a large plaza, and there were also supposedly a number of buildings there that had become city centers in their own rights. Bars, and other places of interest for visitors to the ‘capital’ of Hestana. Towering in the middle of the square was also a statue that was a monument of sorts to the city itself, displaying a torch in a rather literal interpretation of the name of the city. Though, apparently that name was unrelated to the Torch City of old despite the imagery of the statue, and rather had to do with the origins of the name of the country in general.

The driver nodded, and they escaped from the market area without trouble, instead heading through rows and rows of cheap and prefabricated buildings, made from inexpensive concrete with some of them having metal roofs and some having roofs that were just made up of whatever they could scrape together - a few of the houses were in even worse condition, simply made of wood and sometimes not even doing everything that was required and keeping the elements out… Unfortunately for the people that lived there, wood did wear away quicker than concrete, and in some houses that was visible.

“You’d think the EAM would focus on fixing up their own country before blowing things up in ours,” Shana commented as she looked out the window and went by - it was a reminder to the agents from the more developed Hampton that people did live like this… Not that living in Hampton didn’t come with its own hardships at times, but at the very least, if one did the work they could ensure that they had a decent roof over their head and almost nobody had to live in a shack like these.

“That’s the thing… They want what we have, but they don’t buy into the system that got us there,” Nik pointed out. “They’d rather set up their new Euphemie, or at least the corrupted Hestanan version of it, in our country without realizing that the reason we’re better off has been the trading company.”

“Hopefully, they get the idea on their own and we never have to come up here again… The place feels unsafe.”

This made Nik chuckle - the assessment wasn’t that far off, however. “Because the place is unsafe. I also have the feeling we’re going to end up in Hestana again one way or the other. EAM or not, our country is always mixed up in the affairs of this region, making sure that none of the other states in the Horn of Veris get too… Threatening. Better to send in CorpSec and be subtle about it than send in the military and get the attention of everyone - even if our military could brush aside the local one here without too much trouble.”

“And then you’ve got insurgents and stuff on your hands,” Shana pointed out.

“Exactly. Stay in Hampton, mess with things from afar when something like the EAM happens and needs to be dealt with, and allow the people here to do as they wish… I believe our executives have decided that if the Hestanan people don’t want to be saved, then they can’t be saved,” Nik said.

Shortly after, they finally did stop as they emerged in the plaza, which itself was a mess of foot traffic and vehicle traffic - the road led around the statue which was in the middle of the square, and all around that road going through the city, there were shops and the like just as they had heard about. “This is our stop,” Nik stated, climbing out of the armored car, adjusting the cloak that he was wearing - it would be good for them to not make it too apparent just who they were and who they were with.

They wanted to find the EAM, but they didn’t want to be ambushed by them after all.

He was soon joined by his partner, who tapped a specific spot on her cloak - she was checking to make sure that her Lin-15 pistol was still underneath, where she had remembered putting it. They might need those pistols depending on how this went, after all. “Where to now?”

Her eyes were cast upwards at the large torch statue, as they stood on the sidewalk next to the road which went around that very statue. Lining that sidewalk were bars, shops, and other such things that would be of interest to visitors, or citizens of the city who wanted a proper ‘downtown’ area. They didn’t have one, really, but this was quite dense and made up for it decently enough. The plaza was, of course, packed with people more than any of the other dense spots they had been in, mainly because the infrastructure didn’t actually support the large concentration of people in this city compared to the rest of the country.

“Let’s take a look around and see if anything stands out. Can’t always have a clean objective like we did last time,” Nik said. Part of being an agent was being able to judge things even without intel being provided beforehand. In this case, it was a matter of finding out which place was home to anyone that could give them information about the EAM, if there even was a place in this part of the city… One of the disadvantages of coming to a place this large was that they could easily spend a lot of time searching and not even have results at the end of it.

“Maybe the best way to find out is looking at who’s tailing us. But… Not easy in these crowds,” Shana suggested, looking over her shoulder and moving just behind Nik, looking in another direction from him and making sure they didn’t miss any threats coming up onto them while they were focused on searching the environment for hints.

“Good thinking. See if you notice anyone, but I think they would be careful enough to blend in with the crowd.”

“If they blend in with the crowd too much, it’s going to be hard for them to keep an eye on us. We’re also moving with the crowd,” Shana pointed out. She did keep her head on a swivel however, looking from side to side in both directions for anything that was possibly sticking to them a bit too closely.

“There is someone following us,” she said in a low hiss as she spotted something irregular, someone else that was trailing them and was wearing a hood like they were. Not like everyone else in the crowd, who for the most part weren’t paying attention to them and assumed they were just like anyone else in this city.

“Keep moving, let’s not tip ‘em off that we know,” Nik replied, following his own advice and not slowing down as they kept on the move… They would have to actually do something about the trail, though, and aside from that they did want the information that whoever this person was had. If they were actually with the EAM or some similar movement and not just looking to make some money on pickpocketing some foreign visitors.

Nik placed a hand on his chin for a moment while pondering the correct move. “Turn left here, we’ll head into this alley…” Nik said. “And bet on this guy doing the same.”

They sharply turned, entering the alleyway, and just as Nik had predicted… When he spun around, he saw the face of the hooded man that had been tailing them right there, after the man hadn’t been able to resist the temptation to look down the alleyway and consider following them into it - even though it was an isolated area where carrying out a subtle tail was impossible. “Nice trap there,” Shana remarked, as both of the agents went for their weapons at the same time…

The hooded man ran before they could completely draw their Lin-15 pistols and fire.

Though, they didn’t really want to shoot and kill the person that was in front of them, the preferable outcome was that the man would surrender willingly or they would fire for the leg. It was perhaps impossible to get the information they needed from a dead person, and so, they both began to pursue as the man turned and ran, pushing his way through the crowd… At least it wasn’t hard to keep track of where he was going like this. They simply had to push their way through the crowd also and continue following in the direction that the parting was coming from - there was only one possible source for it, after all.

Nik took a shot of his own… But there was a loud ping as it missed and bounced off the back of a rare parked car that somehow fit into the narrow street, pinging off the metal and not penetrating. “Take a shot, Shana… See if we can get this guy before he dives into a building or alley and becomes harder to find....”

“Aye,” Nik’s partner said, slowing down in her pursuit only long enough to take a risky gunshot now that the screaming crowd - they had panicked a bit after the first gunshot - was parting enough to give her a good angle to hit the one man that was still running without stop, out of all of them… The one in the hood that couldn’t have been any other one but the one they were chasing after.

BANG!

The man could outrun them, but couldn’t outrun a gunshot, and she’d managed to put her expert marksmanship to good use by hitting him in the leg rather than somewhere more vital… Though they would still have to make sure the man survived. The Lin-15 tended to be a lethal weapon in the hands of Corporate Security after all. Its high caliber and the lack of body armor for the man who’d just been hit in the leg wouldn’t help his case for survival.

“Always knew you were the better shot,” Nik muttered while running over to grab the man before anyone else could interfere - he was almost definitely with some kind of anti-Hamptonian movement based on the way he’d trailed them, and then ran from them, and just because they’d taken him down didn’t mean he had no other associates in the area.

“Call the truck…” Nik said, waving to Shana as he fixed a pair of handcuffs to the man’s wrists. “I do believe we have a terrorist on our hands now. Maybe…”

Nik paused, pulling the man up to his feet, though he couldn’t exactly walk on the leg that Shana had just shot. “Even one that has some info on exactly who’s behind the subway attack…”
don't tread on me

Previous

Return to Portal to the Multiverse