NATION

PASSWORD

SLATE [OOC | OPEN]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Monfrox
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:22 pm

>well-pepared rural people guns.

Got it. Barrett .50 cals are not out of the question then.
Gama Best Horror/Thriller RP 2015 Sequel
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

The Grey Wolf wrote:Froxy knows how to use a whip, I speak from experience.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:25 pm

Monfrox wrote:>well-pepared rural people guns.

*trusting thumbs up*
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Highfort
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:43 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Monfrox wrote:>well-pepared rural people guns.

*trusting thumbs up*

I mean this setting also features mechs so let's be honest here, nothing is really out of the question. I'm sure some of the folks even keep old missiles in their barns.
First as tragedy, then as farce

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:45 pm

Highfort wrote:
Giovenith wrote:
*trusting thumbs up*

I mean this setting also features mechs so let's be honest here, nothing is really out of the question. I'm sure some of the folks even keep old missiles in their barns.

Probably, yes, but I think we should play it safe lest we push the setting in a direction too far from the original vision. We can steadily escalate to bigger, better stuff once we get into the swing of it.
she/her

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:01 am

Giovenith wrote:
Highfort wrote:I mean this setting also features mechs so let's be honest here, nothing is really out of the question. I'm sure some of the folks even keep old missiles in their barns.

Probably, yes, but I think we should play it safe lest we push the setting in a direction too far from the original vision. We can steadily escalate to bigger, better stuff once we get into the swing of it.

But aren't we supposed to be a sort of special ops unit of sorts? OP small arms aside, we should be able to play with some really cool tricked out guns if that's the case. Unless we need to stay incognito or something.
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 am

Monfrox wrote:
Giovenith wrote:

But aren't we supposed to be a sort of special ops unit of sorts? OP small arms aside, we should be able to play with some really cool tricked out guns if that's the case. Unless we need to stay incognito or something.

Yes, but I'm not entirely sure what the confines of that are supposed to be. Obviously everyone here has common sense so far, but if we fly right into the extreme end of our intended force at the beginning, it may set a precedent for bigger, badder, less rational force that we don't want in the game. People tend to assume that things naturally get more powerful in games, so if you start at your maximum, someone may mistake it for your minimum and go beyond what you're capable of supporting.

Of course, that's just me being cautious, I'm open to hearing people's rationale for why this or that should be allowed.
Last edited by Giovenith on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
she/her

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:29 am

Any good game starts small and builds. We could always upgrade arms as we go. Right now it would probably be better to use our personal arms and whatever we already do have stocked, which I would imagine is some basic firearms or mech gear.
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:08 pm

Alright I’ll give some thought but I guess our mission will involve on-site procurement as well.

Achievement

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:50 pm

Okay, so we've got the bureaucrat, the engineer, the doctor, the gunsmith, the survivalist, and the cobbler all potentially on board. Retrieval for a pragmatic resource in fighting off the bugs is the top suggestion.

The mission brief at the beginning is as follows:

"MISSION / EXECUTION:
1. Task Summary: Per colony request, the Agency will establish a base of operations on Slate.
2. Task Summary: Patrol and conduct reconnaissance missions topside to determine severity of indigenous incursion into habitable zones.
3. Task Summary: Assist local law enforcement to provide an extra measure of peace between minors, farmers, and townspeople."

#2 seems to be the task most relevant, which is where we can start brainstorming on what these particular characters can do together to further that goal.

Idea: Maybe they can go out to bring back the body of a bug? Some could help kill it, doctor could dissect it, bureaucrat could find the best way to report the findings. The main problem with this, obviously, is that we don't know how the bug should behave without the OP. It could be moderated to them retrieving an already dead corpse.

Alternatively, the characters could also seek out something relevant to the survival of the colony, such as water purification or a natural resource that aids in protecting crops.
she/her

Highfort
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:05 pm

I think a natural resource that would help ward off the bugs would be a natural choice for a side story.

Going off of the fact the predatory insects resemble cicadas - which IRL are not predatory and are problems for crops rather than cattle - maybe the locals have something equivalent to the eastern cicada killer wasp? Perhaps there is an issue with procurement of the pest control and we need to lure a swarm of them back for the locals to capture or bring back some kind of resource the "wasps" need to build their homes in.
First as tragedy, then as farce

Sylvanstreak
Attaché

Founded: Apr 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sylvanstreak » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi sorry, everyone, RL ate me for a bit. I'm in as well, any story is good (this can be assumed in general if I don't say anything but have otherwise been active).
I wear blue, pink, teal, and red for a fellow human being.

Defend the forest!
sometimes

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:26 pm

Real quick. Does anyone have any preferences for weapons or would you all be fine with me giving a small selection. Basically if you have something you really want to use, let me know now or you get what I give.

Achievement

Sylvanstreak
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Sylvanstreak » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:07 pm

I'm starting to think my character is ill-designed for this game. :thinking:

Monfrox wrote:Real quick. Does anyone have any preferences for weapons or would you all be fine with me giving a small selection. Basically if you have something you really want to use, let me know now or you get what I give.

How true to life are you going? Chewtongue.
Last edited by Sylvanstreak on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Defend the forest!
sometimes

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:07 pm

Monfrox wrote:Real quick. Does anyone have any preferences for weapons or would you all be fine with me giving a small selection. Basically if you have something you really want to use, let me know now or you get what I give.

Jor specializes in handguns and hand to hand fighting. Either works.

Also Sylvan, that ain't true. Any characters are suited unless they're like a baby.
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:10 pm

The world's armory is at my fingertips, but I'm not giving you an ShAK-12 for daily use. Heavy weaponry will be issued out on a "as needed" basis.

Achievement

Sylvanstreak
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Sylvanstreak » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:50 pm

Monfrox wrote:The world's armory is at my fingertips, but I'm not giving you an ShAK-12 for daily use. Heavy weaponry will be issued out on a "as needed" basis.

Sorry, what?

Holy Lykos wrote:

Jor specializes in handguns and hand to hand fighting. Either works.

Also Sylvan, that ain't true. Any characters are suited unless they're like a baby.

OK. I will still probably switch Barber out at some point, though. Maybe. :)
Last edited by Sylvanstreak on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Defend the forest!
sometimes

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:58 pm

Sylvanstreak wrote:
Monfrox wrote:The world's armory is at my fingertips, but I'm not giving you an ShAK-12 for daily use. Heavy weaponry will be issued out on a "as needed" basis.

Sorry, what?

What kind of weapon would you like your character to have?

Achievement

Sylvanstreak
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Sylvanstreak » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:49 am

Monfrox wrote:
Sylvanstreak wrote:
Sorry, what?

What kind of weapon would you like your character to have?

Whatever you think is best? I know nothing of weapons.

Defend the forest!
sometimes

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:44 am

Sylvanstreak wrote:
Monfrox wrote:What kind of weapon would you like your character to have?

Whatever you think is best? I know nothing of weapons.

Okay that works for me. Brit can give you run down and training if you need it.

Achievement

Empire Occupied Terra
Secretary

Founded: Nov 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire Occupied Terra » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:49 am

Hey howdy! This is a puppet of Danceria, not sure if that name means anything 'round here. Big question, if I haven't been a part of Personification Life...how should my character get involved if at all?

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:20 am

Empire Occupied Terra wrote:Hey howdy! This is a puppet of Danceria, not sure if that name means anything 'round here. Big question, if I haven't been a part of Personification Life...how should my character get involved if at all?

You don't need to have been part of PL to join, just apply like any old game.
she/her

Empire Occupied Terra
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire Occupied Terra » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:01 am

Right, I have two character concepts:
One's a Dwemer-ish guy from the Elder Scrolls Series
The other's a scout from Caesar's Legion of the Fallout Universe

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Legionary Scout might be easier to get in than potentially a magic slinging knife-ear.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:03 pm

Empire Occupied Terra wrote:Hey howdy! This is a puppet of Danceria, not sure if that name means anything 'round here. Big question, if I haven't been a part of Personification Life...how should my character get involved if at all?

Danceria - Good to see you man (in disguise)
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:59 pm

So here's an idea: The bugs are attracted to the smell of meat, presumably the flesh of inhabitants and livestock. What if characters seek out a type of plant that has been shown to act as a scented deterrent to the bugs? Creatures that eat it adopt the deterrent smell (which of course, is scentless to people). They could retrieve seeds, the doctor could test if it's safe for human/animal consumption, they could work on farmer/townie relations while the farmers try to figure out how to grow it, the bureaucrat can try to convince public officials that it should be adopted, and all that may follow in-between.

Empire Occupied Terra wrote:Right, I have two character concepts:
One's a Dwemer-ish guy from the Elder Scrolls Series
The other's a scout from Caesar's Legion of the Fallout Universe

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Legionary Scout might be easier to get in than potentially a magic slinging knife-ear.

Why don't you jot down a basic profile for each? Not a full app, but just something I can look over, get the gist of, and see if a full app can go ahead.
she/her

Empire Occupied Terra
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire Occupied Terra » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:12 pm

Giovenith wrote:Why don't you jot down a basic profile for each? Not a full app, but just something I can look over, get the gist of, and see if a full app can go ahead.

Character 1: A half Dwemer, half Snow Elf of Elder Scrolls world. During the Battle of the Red Mountain went fwoosh along with the rest of the Dwemer and apparently apparated...here. Mostly magical, such as enchanting and using the thu'um/dragon shouts (as in your typical fus-ro-dah, slight bursts of speed, and making sure that ordinarily wild animals/animals that are trying to kill you cut that shit out, no dragons will be summoned or life shall be sapped today please and thank you), as well as your bog standard healing and fire/ice/thunderbolt flinging persuasion. Not really much of a fighter (outside of magic), being only 220-ish (or whenever the "late-teens/early adult" for a species that lives on average 1000 years). Misses his family and kind of wants to go home.

Char 2: Your average scout for Caesar's Legion. Even being the son and farmhand of a brahmin owning patrician doesn't exclude you from the legion life. Titus is less defined backstory, but makes up for it in being less book smart and more pragmatic (such as foraging, knowing what and how a gun works, ect).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse