NATION

PASSWORD

Tales of Two Horizons OOC- OPEN

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Surge Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Surge Empire » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Generic Info
Nation Name: The Hungarian Empire
Symbols: Flag Coat of Arms

Population: 35 million
Capital City: Budapest

Government Info
Government Type: The Hungarian Empire is an federation with Conservative Autocratic Monarchy at the head of government.
Brief Explanation of Government:Hungary is a federal government with the central authority being The Imperial Government. The states of the federation are led by Governors of the Empire, meritocratically appointed by the Királyi zsinat, The Royal council. The Royal council is the advisory body for the king who leads The Imperial government. The Imperial government has authority over the states as well as powers not normally given to federal governments due to the monarch being the head of government.
Ideology: King Mathis style of ruling has been described as a nationalistic form of conservativism, some have described it as National conservatism, though he has been described as a pragmatist.
Leader/s: King Mathis Jagiellonian of Hungary
Relations

France - Mildly Unfriendly - while not necessarily hostile towards one another, Hungary's friendship with Austria has not put them on the best of terms
Austria and the Germans - Extremely Friendly - there have been no territorial disputes between the nation in a long while and it could be described that the monarchs are drinking buddies.
Ruthenia - Friendly - With the Jagellion dynasty being polish originally, there Is some form of connection there. and both Ruthenia and Austria have interest to keep a stable power in the Balkans.
Great Britain - Neutral- there isn't much reason between the powers to dislike each other about, so they are on some good terms
Hellas - friendly - The Hungarian government see no reason to be hostile to Hellas and would prefer to have a semi-powerful nation right on the border be friendly to the empire
Albania - Neutral - The German monarch ruling over Albania has been somewhat friendly to the empire, and so the empire has been friendly to Albania
Population Info
Brief Description of your people:The Magyar are a proud people who hold the most power in the government. The other Ethnic groups have been struggling to get more influence in the government
Religion: Catholic
Ethnicity: Magyars
Main/Accepted Culture(s): Hungarian, Austrian
Other Cultures: Romanian, Serbs, Croatian, Transylvanian Saxons, and the Szekelys

Military Info
Army: In total, 210,000. 130,000 - Silver Army, 55,000 - Eastern Calvary, 25,000 - Mariner Army, 1,000 - Black Army (Ceremonial)
Silver Army - Very good Training, Very good Moral, Good Organization, Good Equipment. - The Main fighting force of the army, consist of mounted and regular infantry. as well as Artillery, It was meant to be the successor of the Black Army.
Silver Calvary - Good Training, Good Moral, Good Organization, Good Equipment. - Originally the Calvary Force of the Army, this Branch is one part Calvary, another part Mounted Infantry. Known for being the Experimental branch, this is where the Dragoons and modern riflemen tactics were first implemented.
Mariner Army - Good Training, Average Moral, Good Organization, Average Equipment. - The Mariners are the specialized Boarding force of the Army, though they train as infantry so they can be able to amphibious assault.
Navy: Imperial Navy - [3 steamers, 8 generic sailing ships, 5 Brigs, 5 corvettes, 2 frigates], Below Average - Average Quality, Average Moral and organization, average equipment.

Other Info
Brief Description of your Economy: Industrialized to an extent, the Hungarian region remains the bread basket of the Empire but there is Urbanization in the region and Industrialization around Budapest, The Romanian Region is Industrializing at a far quicker pace compared to the rest of the empire, and the Slavic regions have become the far more mercantile region.
Goals: Stabilizing The nation's ethnic problems, raising Hungary's status in the world, become an influential nation.
History:
After the Battle of Varna, which ended in a decisive Hungarian Victory. This Victory led to Ottoman excursions into the Balkans to have stopped putting a check on Ottoman power and Ambitions. Surviving the battle Vladislaus of Hungary ( Vladislaus III of Poland) though wounded from it, Went on to lead Hungary until the time of his death in 1449 from declining health related to the wound. While he had gained a wife in the form of a Hungarian noblewoman, they had no children leaving the crown to go to his younger brother Casimir IV of House Jagiellonian. Casimir’s reign in Hungary would do little on his own, Though he wanted to create a form of parliament for Hungary like there was in Poland, The Hungarian nobles wouldn't let him, So in 1459, Matthias Corvinus made a deal with the King, He would rule Hungary as a vassal to Poland if he would support Casimir in making a parliament, however it was Matthias belief that Hungary’s current state wouldn’t allow a functioning parliament so Casmir never got the chance to propose it before Matthias death. The reign of Casimir IV had small domestic effects on Hungary, the most notable was ordering the construction of the University of Buda, which was continued by Matthias and Vladislaus II.

During Corvinus’ reign, He had Reformed the Hungarian Justice system and waged war against the Czech mercenaries in upper Hungary as well as embracing the renaissance, He also established the First professional Army in Europe, The Black Army. In 1468, He made a Deal with Casimir IV of Poland to Name Vladislaus his successor for support in his war against bohemia. When Bohemia was invaded by Hungary to rid the Kingdom of a Heretical monarch by the urging of the Holy Roman Emperor. With Polish help, Catholicism was restored to Bohemia. Pressure on Matthias to break away from Poland would force him to do so but not until it became known that Vlad would not gain the Throne of Poland. After Breaking away, Casmir Knowing the House would regain the Kingdom in time left Hungary to its devices. In this Time, Mattias would invade Moldova, winning a victory at baia, This victory was followed by many more to come and eventually the war was won in Hungary’s favor and Moldova was established as A vassal to Hungary to protect against ottoman expansion. after many years Matthias would die of a stroke in 1484. Leaving Vlad II of Hungary to Take the Throne at the age of 28.

Vlad II would pass away giving way to Louis II who would remain would be killed from a bout of illness a few years after naming his bastard son, Janos, his legitimate successor. Janos would give birth to a Daughter and Son, He would begin the costly wars on multiple principalities of Serbia, later consolidating them into one. This would force him to restructure the government and limit spending in order to pay the Black Army. His Grandson, Márton would oversee the massive reduction of the Black Army in order to keep the government afloat. Márton would have a son and wanting to give his son a stronger empire and believing trade would be the solution to their economic problems decided to integrate Bosnia and Herzegovina who were principalities under the empire after Hungary protected them from the ottomans. These would become far less autonomous than before. his son who was named Louis III after his Great-Great-Grandfather, Louis would have a Brother as well, Under Louis, The nation would become closer to Austria. His Son, Istvan, would attempt to centralized the empire, he would not progress towards achieving this goal as much as he wanted by his death, but his greatest achievement however was uniting the two Danuban principalities of Wallachia, and Moldova.

Janos II, Istvan's son, would reign after Istvan from the years 1722 - 1764, he would continue his father's centralization efforts so he could build a bigger army, which he called the Silver Army to succeed the Black army which had fallen from glory, he did so in an attempt to combat Ottoman influence . After those years of prosperity, Janos II would abdicate due to health issues and his brother, Zoltan would take the throne since the child of Janos, Vladislaus III, was a child.

He would try to centralize in an attempt to give him more power so he could seize the throne, but the Nobel's reaction to his efforts were met with dismay and he had to execute a few nobles to secure his power. The survivors meet with his nephew, Tamas, the Twin child of Istvan's sister Hanna, to conspire a coup to bring Vlad III into power but when Zoltan converted to Lutherism, Tamas, a Catholic Zealot, would seize the throne after he killed his uncle during the coup and ruled as regent for Vlad III from 1773 until 1780. afterwards Vlad ruled and ended the political upheaval in the nation by consolidating the empire into one decentralized entity.

That was until 1848, when Istvan II took the throne during the revolutions of Romanian and Serbia. Two separate revolution each solved differently, the Romanian more concession were made while in Serbia the revolution took longer to put done and fewer liberties were given. however this was enough to satisfy the revolutionaries, But in the end, The empire had shifted towards a federal system by coincidence, that would keep the kingdom decentralized while maintaining a central authority.

Janos III would take the throne in 1859 after Istvan's sudden death from cancer. Janos would proclaim himself king and rule until 1863, 2 years after the child of Istvan came of age, Matthias now twenty, conspired a coup to his claim on the realm, one which the people accepted due to the recession the economy had been which was believed to be because of Janos, the bloodless coup led to Janos' royal titles being removed. And the Reign of Mattias to begin

History does not state what the future of Hungary shall be, because it can not see the future, but many say it shall be glorious

RP Sample: I played as Israel in 2024.
429 - Do not remove. This is for tracking purposes.
Last edited by The Surge Empire on Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Kahlenberg
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 04, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kahlenberg » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:16 am

The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:
Kahlenberg wrote:Under construction
snip

Just as a note for some of the alternate history that is being discussed discordside, Frederick III currently (If that is the ruler you are going for) holds a personal union over Belgium, which may or may not be a point of tension. Any case, look forward to seeing the rest of the app.

*Also a small edit, Brandenburg never controlled Prussia, so Prussian probably wouldn't be an accepted culture in your nation.

Interesting - I'll make sure to incoporate it in my application. Prussian will be removed as an accepted culture. Is there an overview of the alternative history on the discord? I'll need to make an account at my home device in that case.

Two other points:

- I'd like to confer with the player of Pomerania on our relations (either hostile or cordial, the idea of forming a Northern German League with the Hanseatic cities to counter the German Confederation sounds interesting too).
- I'd be interested in an alliance with either Britannia or France, but before I make up my mind I'd like to read up on AH and see other people's applications so it makes sense in the broader scheme of things.
Last edited by Kahlenberg on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:45 am

Kahlenberg wrote:
Just as a note for some of the alternate history that is being discussed discordside, Frederick III currently (If that is the ruler you are going for) holds a personal union over Belgium, which may or may not be a point of tension. Any case, look forward to seeing the rest of the app.

*Also a small edit, Brandenburg never controlled Prussia, so Prussian probably wouldn't be an accepted culture in your nation.

Interesting - I'll make sure to incoporate it in my application. Prussian will be removed as an accepted culture. Is there an overview of the alternative history on the discord? I'll need to make an account at my home device in that case.

Two other points:

- I'd like to confer with the player of Pomerania on our relations (either hostile or cordial, the idea of forming a Northern German League with the Hanseatic cities to counter the German Confederation sounds interesting too).
- I'd be interested in an alliance with either Britannia or France, but before I make up my mind I'd like to read up on AH and see other people's applications so it makes sense in the broader scheme of things.

I don't think that there is an overview anywhere, but most people are indeed talking on Discord. I will also try to finish the history of the German Confederation over the next few days so that you can use that as help. You will also most likely have if not an alliance, at least a guarantee with another great power that would explain why Brandenburg remained outside of the reorganized Confederation - if I remember correctly, Ruthenia has some interests in seeing an independent Brandenburg.

France would also have such interests, seeing as the Confederation was centralized and reorganized because of French aggression in the Second Rhine Crisis - but you should try to find a way to deal with German nationalism, since said nationalism is incredibly Francophobic right now.

Oh, and another thing that you should decide is whether Brandenburg would be a part of the Zollverein or not. I am imagining that Brandenburg was part of it at least until the reorganization of the Confederation, and the Zollverein is distinct from the Confederation itself - in real life, there were independent nations such as Luxemburg that were part of it, but the choice is of course, up to you.

Pomerania is part of the Zollverein, as far as I know.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Kahlenberg
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kahlenberg » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:53 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Kahlenberg wrote:

Two other points:

I don't think that there is an overview anywhere, but most people are indeed talking on Discord. I will also try to finish the history of the German Confederation over the next few days so that you can use that as help. You will also most likely have if not an alliance, at least a guarantee with another great power that would explain why Brandenburg remained outside of the reorganized Confederation - if I remember correctly, Ruthenia has some interests in seeing an independent Brandenburg.

France would also have such interests, seeing as the Confederation was centralized and reorganized because of French aggression in the Second Rhine Crisis - but you should try to find a way to deal with German nationalism, since said nationalism is incredibly Francophobic right now.

Oh, and another thing that you should decide is whether Brandenburg would be a part of the Zollverein or not. I am imagining that Brandenburg was part of it at least until the reorganization of the Confederation, and the Zollverein is distinct from the Confederation itself - in real life, there were independent nations such as Luxemburg that were part of it, but the choice is of course, up to you.

Thanks for the help; and I'll be interested to read your application! I think it only makes sense to be part of the Zollverein, I'll edit that into my app. Ruthenia seems an unlikely choice for an alliance if I look solely at the map (they appear as way too big and powerful to be trusted by a small neighbouring state), but if the AH or the combination of other alliances changes that, an alliance with them could work for me. France makes more sense I think, especially when the German Confederation is highly anti-French. Of course, I'd be interested to read about French-Ruthenian relations in this regard too.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:03 am

Kahlenberg wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:

Thanks for the help; and I'll be interested to read your application! I think it only makes sense to be part of the Zollverein, I'll edit that into my app. Ruthenia seems an unlikely choice for an alliance if I look solely at the map (they appear as way too big and powerful to be trusted by a small neighbouring state), but if the AH or the combination of other alliances changes that, an alliance with them could work for me. France makes more sense I think, especially when the German Confederation is highly anti-French. Of course, I'd be interested to read about French-Ruthenian relations in this regard too.

The Zollverein is in the end an economic thing. It could be seen as an element to influence nations towards unification, that is for sure, but in the end, its political use is limited (since I don't think that nations can be kicked out of the Zollverein), and its economic importance is great - having free access to the German market that is.

As for Ruthenia, true, for an alliance it might be difficult, but at the same time, Ruthenia doesn't necessarily want to see Austria complete the process of German unification, so at the very least, you would have an informal guarantee of your independence from them.

As for France, yeah, an alliance with them would make a lot of sense - but you should be careful about the popular backlash. It's clear from the beginning that the pro-independence forces were bigger in Brandenburg than the German nationlists, so it's not that big of an issue, but allying yourself with the nation described as the greatest enemy of the German people will have its influences.

And, from what I remember from discussions in the Discord - there are going to be some tensions in Brandenburg due to the personal union between it and Belgium. There are certainly going to be plenty of people in both nations against this PU, and one lore element that I remember is that Frederick the III is supposed to be ruling from Belgium at the moment.

So playing Brandenburg is certainly going to be interesting xD
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Kahlenberg
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kahlenberg » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:32 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Kahlenberg wrote:

I'm looking forward ;). Thanks for the background!

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:08 am

Extremely WIP, will finish later this week.

Generic Info
Nation Name: Chu/Tso/楚
Symbols: Flag
Population: ~45 million
Capital City: Linxiang (IRL Changsha)

Government Info
Government Type: Absolute Monarchy
Brief Explanation of Government: The King of Tso, Zeng Guofan, holds supreme power over Tso and rules through a strato-bureaucratic system of provinces, where each province has a civilian governor appointed by the king from candidates who have passed the civil service examinations and a military commander responsible for law and order in the province and the raising of troops from it appointed from seasoned military officers.
Ideology: Conservatism, Tso nationalism, manifest destiny
Leader/s: King of Tso, Zeng Guofan
Relations

Population Info
Brief Description of your people:
Religion:
Ethnicity:
Main/Accepted Culture(s): (ex. IRL-UK would be English, Scottish; only cultures that are dominant and the gov't favors)
Other Cultures: (ex. IRL-UK would have been Irish, Welsh, etc ; cultures that aren't accepted by the gov't/people)

Military Info
Army: (branches, number of troops, quality of army, etc,)
Navy: Tso is landlocked, and thus not in possession of a navy.

Other Info
Brief Description of your Economy:
Goals:
History:
RP Sample: (required, send Telegram with a sample of what your post would be like if you have not participated in any previous RPs)
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Hastiaka
Minister

Founded: Sep 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hastiaka » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:43 am

Reservation:
Nation Name: State of Chi | Officially as the Qi State
635 - Do not remove. This is for tracking purposes.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:57 am

Generic Info
Nation Name: Yut | 越
Symbols: Image this colour, red, traditional stuff associated with south in chinese culture, the character 越; flag used for western purposes
Population: 64 million see this for breakdown
Capital City: Yutdou (about modern Guangzhou, but rather west bank)

Government Info
Government Type: Unitary directorial republic
Brief Explanation of Government: The Daaiwui (大會) is the directorial council that is the absolute authority over the country; increasingly, its membership is democratically elected, but historically was dominated by religious, military, commercial and scholarly figures. Increasingly, with Western influence, there is growth of judicial power, but generally this council replaces the king in the traditional Chinese conception of the state; under it are examination-based bureaucracies and such.
Ideology: Traditional "Neo-Confucian" One-Nation style conservatism is historically dominant, with principled free trade/imperialist expansionism developing out of this view, main counterpoint to radical Neo-Mohism (which is itself a grouping of movements with similar threads converging on ideas of radical equality)
Leader/s: various members of the Daaiwui
Relations Generally relatively amiable with Chinese states; tries to guarantee balance of power on the mainland. At times a rival to but generally cognisant of its common interests with Great Britain. Content to trade with other civilised nations, if they don't threaten colonially. Dzimsing is a vassal. No alliances down for sure at this point

Population Info
Brief Description of your people: Self conceive via a cultural identity, similar to the Chinese of old, Yut is lingua franca
Religion: Traditional Chinese spirituality; city gods, ancient deities, nature, astrology, etc. influenced by various ideologies; notable minorities of Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists of various stripes, as well as irreligious
Ethnicity: Not too culturally important, but mainly Han Chinese mixed with pre-Han barbarians such as the Baiyue, with important admixture with Bantu native populations in Hakngon, Australian Aboriginal people in Hungyoeng, Austronesians in Naamyoeng, and so on
Main/Accepted Culture(s): Yut, Liu, Hakngon [note to self find better demonym], Tanka if you want to consider it separate, kind of Madurese; they're a special case
Other Cultures: Aboriginal, Malay, Teochew, Miu, various Austronesian, various Bantu, etc.

Military Info
Army: Professional standing force of around half a million; well-trained and armed but not terribly famous or numerous. Focus on infantry, especially manoeuvre and gunnery and use of terrain, while artillery pieces benefit from industrial expertise. Primarily based on the mainland, but highly integrated with the navy to the point of resembling marines in some other countries; units tend to be known as mountain units or water units owing to the geography of Yut. Role is primarily deterring invasion and maintaining order. Bolt action rifles are currently being adopted.
Navy: Thinks of itself as the biggest and best in the world; isn't unjustified in this thought

Typical of Chinese navies; uses long projectiles, junk rigging, tung oil caulk, watertight compartments, etc.

Technological innovation is strong; dominant school at this time tends to focus on reliable, long-range gunnery and the uniformity, logistics, production and endurance of ships

Most important branch of military of Yut with over 100k personnel; is itself divided into riverine (including lacustrine) and oceanic branches, with the oceanic being dominant in military terms (there are few riverine/lacustrine threats)

Three categories of ship are used:
43 ships of the line (19 ironclad), 93 frigates (33 ironclad), thousands of sloops (mostly not ironclad)

of these, maybe half are steam-powered, primarily screw-driven, including all ironclads

Other Info
Brief Description of your Economy: One of the most industrialised countries in the world, and the first to do so in China historically; instrumental dedication to free trade at least at first face, especially for industrial exports, but legal and cultural customs impart a kind of soft protectionism, especially in colonial areas. Very strong urbanisation and industrialisation in the homeland cities, with strong emphasis on riverine transport and power (railway until recently only filling in the gaps), though satellite centres now appearing in the nearer colonies, though they still mainly provide raw resources and consumption. Historically and still quite strong agricultural sector which maximises cultivated land, and which is dominated by mediumholders. Major products include arms, tea, machinery, ships, silk, gold, porcelain, red meat, ivory, furniture, coffee, rice, tin, coal, textiles and copper. Currency is silver standard.
Goals: secure the Yut Sea, keep the mainland weak, divided, allied or whatever is necessary to safeguard the homeland, lock into hegemony in the great Nanyang, spread civilisation and engender prestige more generally
History: lot is already given: tl;dr, broke off after tang, got a weird council thing, had close relationship with song but betrayed them to mongols, went a-colonising, kept the mainland straight, got industrial and epic
RP Sample: last toth
Last edited by Alleniana on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nasaira
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nasaira » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:30 am

I'm very interested I this, what nation is still needed?

Rodez
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodez » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:57 am

Reservation:
Nation Name: Kingdom of Spain
Formerly known as Mesrane (Mes), now I'm back
Joined April 2014

Go Cubs, Go!

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:13 pm

A work in progress!

Generic Info
Nation Name: The Commonwealth of American States and Peoples
Symbols:
Flag:

Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW4ZwyYJYbQ
Population: 30.000.000
Capital City: Charlotte, North Carolina

Government Info
Government Type: Constitutional Federal Republic
Brief Explanation of Government: The federation of American States and Peoples has two constituent parts: on the one hand, it is a federation of States, the former 13 English colonies as well as the new ones added in the west after expansion. The second constituent part are the Peoples. These are the native American tribes, who gained recognition after the 1785 Constitutional Convention. They operate much like States, in that they provide two senators and a number of representatives based on their population. Citizenship is not alternative, however, and someone can be both a member of a tribe and a citizen of a State. The electoral calculations can get a little off because of this. The President, to not interfere with this complicated electorate, is elected not by the general population but by the House and Senate. The President then has free reign in picking his cabinet, but can be removed by a simple majority vote in the House or the Senate.

A major alteration is that the US President has very little executive power. He acts on behalf of the legislature, and can do nothing without their support. The executive action has not been invented. The power to raise a federal army lies in the Senate, and the president has to ask for permission. However, with a two-thirds majority vote the Senate can raise the president to a legal dictatorship, as inspired by the Roman Republic, and give him temporary legislative power and the title of commander-in-chief, which normally resides with the Secretary for War.
Ideology: Various, republicanism
Leader/s:
Head of State: President Robert Baskins
Head of Government: First Secretary Jonathan Miller-Benton
Senate Speaker: Albert von Reigenau
House Speaker: Kanuna Smith
Chief Justice: Alistair McGannon
Relations: Rivalries with the United Kingdom over claims to the territory of New England, as well as rivalries with their western neighbours, as American colonists spread ever westward.

Population Info
Brief Description of your people: The Commonwealth is a land of many different ethnicities, a melting pot of cultures and customs, now more than ever. Anglo-Saxons, descendent from English ancestors, are very much dominant, but they make up only a slim majority of not a large minority. Alongside European minorities like Gaels and Germans, there are native Americans that have been accepted as a part of the American nation-state. There are big differences between the cities in the east and the rural towns in the west, between the more urban north and the plantations of the south.
Religion: Various forms of Christianity and native American religions, which have nominally (although with great consternation from the Church) been accepted as some unrecognisable form of Christianity for the moral bliss of those in charge. Both the native Americans and the protestants distrust the Catholics, though, and Catholicism is not widely accepted, leading to friction with Catholic powers seeking to defend their minority. However, relations with non-Christian nations are good due to the acceptance of other heathens.
Ethnicity: Various
Main/Accepted Culture(s): Anglo-Saxon
Other Cultures: Irish, Scots, German, Dutch, Cherokee, Iroquois, various other native American tribes, Spanish, French

Military Info
Army: The army of the Commonwealth is not a united force. Every State and People has its own armed force, with its own uniforms, officers and drill, although as military education becomes more centralised so does the practice of warfare. Generally speaking, the States prefer more traditional, European formations of marching columns of musketeers, while the native American tribes prefer skirmish and guerrilla tactics. However, as the 19th century drags on, both armies are beginning to diversify, with the Peoples training regiments of massed infantry, and the States adopting more skirmish tactics. The Commonwealth has not been in any major war since the Napoleonic era, so it has not had time to create a centralised military, which is seen as only necessary in times of extreme duress.
Navy: the Commonwealth navy is a pitiful force, but has the advantage of being an actual federal branch. Since the waters of the continental Americas are shared, and navies are expensive, the Commonwealth recognised early on that a centralised navy was necessary. The ships are mainly used for protecting merchant fleets, and consists of old merchant vessels equipped with cannon. The most fearsome branch of the navy is the Marine Regiment, which is comparable to a grenadier regiment. The toughest, hardest soldiers of each State are united here, and they form something similar to the praetorian guard, defending the capital and providing for ceremonial duties.

Other Info
Brief Description of your Economy: The economy is partially urbanised, but since many of the major population centres are actually in the United Kingdom, the majority of the Commonwealth economy is rural. Slavery still exists, and keeps American plantation goods cheap on the international market. The slave trade has officially been abolished, but the Commonwealth government does not maintain a navy big enough to enforce those rules. There exists a somewhat tentative alliance between the native Americans and the afro-Americans held in slavery, a mutual distrust for the greed of the white man. The afro-Americans call for citizenship and the formation of their own tribe, supported by the native Americans. However, the Commonwealth government knows that this would create a call from other minorities to have their own people recognised as well. For now, the rural elite hold America in their grip through bribery and voting power, as well as using the intimidation of southern state governments.
Goals: Push westward, unify all Peoples and Americans under a single banner.
History: tbd

The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Speyland
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Speyland » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:39 pm

Again?

The Industrial States of Columbia
Senator

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Nasaira wrote:I'm very interested I this, what nation is still needed?

Whatever you would like to play is fine, we can fill in where is needed. France would be nice to have, or something nordic/ italian
Cobalt Network Signups-|-Cobalt Network Main Page
A Fan of Type II alternate history
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Lan Khao Xang Hom Krung Tai
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lan Khao Xang Hom Krung Tai » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Redacted
Last edited by Lan Khao Xang Hom Krung Tai on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
Just call me Tuwa

Speyland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Speyland » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:11 pm

Which Chinese kingdom are still free?

Lan Khao Xang Hom Krung Tai
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lan Khao Xang Hom Krung Tai » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Speyland wrote:Which Chinese kingdom are still free?

I think the current roster is up-to-date on which are free
Just call me Tuwa

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Yan is the most solid choice, more of a diplomatic mover and shaker, North Zhou is also a possibility, as is Hubei. Zan Kaon league city state could be fun too. China looks like a fun place. I prolly will clear the roster tomorrow after work for more if need be. New world has Chinese Chile
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Speyland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Speyland » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Reservation:
Nation Name: State of Yan

Rodez
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodez » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Yan is the most solid choice, more of a diplomatic mover and shaker, North Zhou is also a possibility, as is Hubei. Zan Kaon league city state could be fun too. China looks like a fun place. I prolly will clear the roster tomorrow after work for more if need be. New world has Chinese Chile

What’s the deal with Vusaan? Is that formerly Dutch?
Formerly known as Mesrane (Mes), now I'm back
Joined April 2014

Go Cubs, Go!

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:05 pm

Reservation:
Nation Name: Gran Colombia (name pending)
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:23 pm

Rodez wrote:

What’s the deal with Vusaan? Is that formerly Dutch?

It’s a former colony of the Chinese city states, if I recall correctly, though it also annexed some Korean colonies and took land from Mexico.
A rowdy redneck from South Carolina who tries to RP every now and again.
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

Kahlenberg
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kahlenberg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:14 am

First version of my app complete. I'll be altering it based on other apps if necessary.

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:27 am

Reservation:
    Nation Name: Empire of Brazil

Haha nice, I got number 66
A rowdy redneck from South Carolina who tries to RP every now and again.
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:46 pm

Kahlenberg wrote:snip

While I do like what you have put in so far, I would like to see you differentiate yourself from Prussia. A powerful military is fine, but you are not in the same position as historical Prussia, and thus should work to diversify. History prolly will be addressed with the Pomeranian player later I imagine, so that is more handwavium, particular elements I might mention are that as you are Protestant, you ought be allied with the Swedes during the 30 years war. I would recommend you change those things before I make further judgement on the app, but looking nice so far.
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse