NATION

PASSWORD

The Esoterics: Devil's Whisper OOC (Fantasy, Open, Intrigue)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Did you notice my JoJo reference with Sumani Seigana

1: yes
20%
2: no
No votes
3: what
80%

Total votes : 5

Asardia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Asardia » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:53 am

DeltaSource wrote:
Asardia wrote:
I see. I'm interested. What is it?

Well, it's hard to explain in just 1 post, I'll just link the google doc here outlining the basics of what I put together using all my lose ends and ideas:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SW7 ... sp=sharing
Feel free to let me know what you think. Names and ideas are liable to change, still thinking of names for the gods.

It looks pretty good, actually. I like the mythology you set up as well. And with the 7 nations, there is enough of a setting to develop a story. However, I'm assuming that this is all you have, right?

The Esoterics Universe has many nations like yours. I decided to make an individual story taking place in each nation (Devil's Whisper, Soul Reaper etc). My question for you is this: Are we focusing on one nation? I personally think we should because having 7 nations will cause the RP to slow considerably. Even in this RP, most of the story took place in Ryobei.

Next is more worldbuilding. I love worldbuilding, as you can see from my huge OP. In my opinion, it's not terribly difficult. The names of the countries seem to reflect real world cultures (Monschau reminds me of Germany, and Okumura gives off Japanese vibes). All you need to do is look into those cultures and adapt some customs into it while also creating your own.

What role do the gods play? Each kingdom is ruled by a god, but how exactly does that work? What do the gods do?

For the magic system, I have a few questions. The most notable is the difference between ice and water. What prevents someone with a Water Affinity from freezing the water to ice? And what stops an Ice Affinite from turning their ice into water? And what exactly is Chloro and their affinity?

What role do the angels and demons play? Since there is a branch of magic concerned with them and the Gods of Life and Death, are prominent will they be?
If money is where you find happiness you'll always be poor
Often its not the driver but the passengers that find the right path

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

5pb wrote:"I'm cutting it off," Ayano raised an axe above her head

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

DeltaSource
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby DeltaSource » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:28 am

Asardia wrote:
DeltaSource wrote:Well, it's hard to explain in just 1 post, I'll just link the google doc here outlining the basics of what I put together using all my lose ends and ideas:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SW7 ... sp=sharing
Feel free to let me know what you think. Names and ideas are liable to change, still thinking of names for the gods.

It looks pretty good, actually. I like the mythology you set up as well. And with the 7 nations, there is enough of a setting to develop a story. However, I'm assuming that this is all you have, right?

The Esoterics Universe has many nations like yours. I decided to make an individual story taking place in each nation (Devil's Whisper, Soul Reaper etc). My question for you is this: Are we focusing on one nation? I personally think we should because having 7 nations will cause the RP to slow considerably. Even in this RP, most of the story took place in Ryobei.

Next is more worldbuilding. I love worldbuilding, as you can see from my huge OP. In my opinion, it's not terribly difficult. The names of the countries seem to reflect real world cultures (Monschau reminds me of Germany, and Okumura gives off Japanese vibes). All you need to do is look into those cultures and adapt some customs into it while also creating your own.

What role do the gods play? Each kingdom is ruled by a god, but how exactly does that work? What do the gods do?

For the magic system, I have a few questions. The most notable is the difference between ice and water. What prevents someone with a Water Affinity from freezing the water to ice? And what stops an Ice Affinite from turning their ice into water? And what exactly is Chloro and their affinity?

What role do the angels and demons play? Since there is a branch of magic concerned with them and the Gods of Life and Death, are prominent will they be?

Glad you asked. Answering in order

I do have a general idea of the story. Basically, the main story is that both angels and demons are attempting to free their respective gods from their banishment. To do so, they are weakening the power of the 7 elemental gods by destroying their temples, as well as turning people away from them. Some approach with different methods, but the overall goal is the same. It's pretty broad atm tho.

We would mostly focus on Monschau, though other nations would have roles to play and can be visited.

Yeah, working on each nation, from most important to least important.

Each god rules their nation differently. For example, the god of wind does not rule his directly, and instead lets the people decide how they want to be ruled. He even allowed a tyranny to form in his nation despite a tyranny being the opposite of freedom. Because "Ordering someone to be free isn't freedom." The goddess of Ice directly rules her nation in contrast. This is why she has sealed her nation off from the others. Nothing goes in or out without going through her.

People with water affinity cannot directly control ice. It has to melt. This is to limit those with water affinities in colder regions where snow is the primary form of water. They themselves typically cannot melt it. Ice affinities can turn water into ice, which makes it unbalanced atm, but I'm working on affinity balancing. Chloro is simply plants. I took the word Chlorophyll and chopped off the second half. They can control plant life, and have minor healing properties.

Angels and Demons play a role in the story. They both have magic inherent to them, but neither can use elemental magic affinities unless blessed by the god of said element. Angels can dispel demonic contracts, both willingly and unwillingly formed. This comes at the cost of not being able to form contracts themselves, making it harder to go unnoticed by the gods. They also can heal almost any disease. Demons can form contracts with humans to go almost unnoticed by the gods, and in return gift their powers to a mortal. Alternatively, they can force a contract on someone, allowing them to directly possess them. This has the adverse affect of being more noticeable as certain demonic traits will become more apparent in the mortal body they inhabit the longer the possession is, but can be used to quickly avoid detection. To avoid detection from mortals, they can shape shift, or simply cast an illusion over themselves if they wish to retain their original form. The branch of magic associated with angels is simply using their magic. This can be accomplished by simply having an angel bless you. This typically occurs by somehow befriending one, or swearing fidelity to the goddess of life. The branch of magic associated with demons is obtained through a contract. The branch of magic associated with the goddess of life can be obtained through various means, the most common is to simply swear fidelity to her directly. Magic associated with her is immortality, advanced healing, etc. The same goes with the god of death, but magic associated with him is reanimation of corpses, curses, and the draining of life.

Feel free to offer any suggestions, especially ones on writing an OP because I'm not terribly good at it lol. Demons and Angels are probably gonna get a buff in some form or another
Last edited by DeltaSource on Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Games I'm Playing Atm:
Persona 5 Royal
Genshin Impact
Call of Duty: Warzone

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:33 am

DeltaSource wrote:
Asardia wrote:

Glad you asked. Answering in order

I do have a general idea of the story. Basically, the main story is that both angels and demons are attempting to free their respective gods from their banishment. To do so, they are weakening the power of the 7 elemental gods by destroying their temples, as well as turning people away from them. Some approach with different methods, but the overall goal is the same. It's pretty broad atm tho.

We would mostly focus on Monschau, though other nations would have roles to play and can be visited.

Each god rules their nation differently. For example, the god of wind does not rule his directly, and instead lets the people decide how they want to be ruled. He even allowed a tyranny to form in his nation despite a tyranny being the opposite of freedom. Because "Ordering someone to be free isn't freedom." The goddess of Ice directly rules her nation in contrast. This is why she has sealed her nation off from the others. Nothing goes in or out without going through her.

People with water affinity cannot directly control ice. It has to melt. This is to limit those with water affinities in colder regions where snow is the primary form of water. They themselves typically cannot melt it. Ice affinities can turn water into ice, which makes it unbalanced atm, but I'm working on affinity balancing. Chloro is simply plants. I took the word Chlorophyll and chopped off the second half. They can control plant life, and have minor healing properties.

Angels and Demons play a role in the story. They both have magic inherent to them, but neither can use elemental magic affinities unless blessed by the god of said element. Angels can dispel demonic contracts, both willingly and unwillingly formed. This comes at the cost of not being able to form contracts themselves, making it harder to go unnoticed by the gods. They also can heal almost any disease. Demons can form contracts with humans to go almost unnoticed by the gods, and in return gift their powers to a mortal. Alternatively, they can force a contract on someone, allowing them to directly possess them. This has the adverse affect of being more noticeable as certain demonic traits will become more apparent in the mortal body they inhabit the longer the possession is, but can be used to quickly avoid detection. To avoid detection from mortals, they can shape shift, or simply cast an illusion over themselves if they wish to retain their original form. The branch of magic associated with angels is simply using their magic. This can be accomplished by simply having an angel bless you. This typically occurs by somehow befriending one, or swearing fidelity to the goddess of life. The branch of magic associated with demons is obtained through a contract. The branch of magic associated with the goddess of life can be obtained through various means, the most common is to simply swear fidelity to her directly. Magic associated with her is immortality, advanced healing, etc. The same goes with the god of death, but magic associated with him is reanimation of corpses, curses, and the draining of life.

Feel free to offer any suggestions, especially ones on writing an OP because I'm not terribly good at it lol. Demons and Angels are probably gonna get a buff in some form or another

We should focus on fleshing out the plot here first. But I'm wondering about the angels. They are called "Heralds of Wrath" but I'm not sure if that's just a cool name you gave them or if it means more. If it means they represent wrath, would the angels also have an affinity to the god of fire?

And if the Angels need to be befriended or have people follow the God of Life, how exactly can their presence be made? It seems both scenarios are unlikely to occur in a way that can set off the plot. Is there already some sort of group or someone who has been working with either the demons/angels to get their powers?

>We would mostly focus on Monschau, though other nations would have roles to play and can be visited.

We should focus mostly on Monschau then. It shouldn't be too hard to create a culture and world there. I can help with Monschau and the other countries. I'll try to be more active here.

>Feel free to offer any suggestions, especially ones on writing an OP because I'm not terribly good at it lol. Demons and Angels are probably gonna get a buff in some form or another

Are you going for soft or hard magic for the angels? I'm asking to see if you want to go more detailed with rules and limitations or if you want their powers to be mysterious. And yeah I can help with the OP. All I've done is put an overview of the RP, some worldbuilding, magic, and the rules and apps. Of course it's more complicated than this, but that's the overall gist. This can be worked out once the plot is figured out..

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

DeltaSource
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby DeltaSource » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:20 am

Asardia wrote:
DeltaSource wrote:Glad you asked. Answering in order

We should focus on fleshing out the plot here first. But I'm wondering about the angels. They are called "Heralds of Wrath" but I'm not sure if that's just a cool name you gave them or if it means more. If it means they represent wrath, would the angels also have an affinity to the god of fire?

And if the Angels need to be befriended or have people follow the God of Life, how exactly can their presence be made? It seems both scenarios are unlikely to occur in a way that can set off the plot. Is there already some sort of group or someone who has been working with either the demons/angels to get their powers?

>We would mostly focus on Monschau, though other nations would have roles to play and can be visited.

We should focus mostly on Monschau then. It shouldn't be too hard to create a culture and world there. I can help with Monschau and the other countries. I'll try to be more active here.

>Feel free to offer any suggestions, especially ones on writing an OP because I'm not terribly good at it lol. Demons and Angels are probably gonna get a buff in some form or another

Are you going for soft or hard magic for the angels? I'm asking to see if you want to go more detailed with rules and limitations or if you want their powers to be mysterious. And yeah I can help with the OP. All I've done is put an overview of the RP, some worldbuilding, magic, and the rules and apps. Of course it's more complicated than this, but that's the overall gist. This can be worked out once the plot is figured out..

Ok
It's really just a name in reference to the bowls of wrath in Revelation, they don't have a natural fire affinity. "Befriending" is kinda a weird word choice by me if I'm being honest. I just couldn't think of a better word, and befriending does apply to a character concept I have. More or less it's kinda being noticed by an angel, and having them agree to lend you their strength, though befriending one would end in a similar result. There will be an organization that was started by a man who sought eternal life, the angels saw this and saw an opportunity in him to be able to weaken the 7 elemental gods. Basically, they twisted his thoughts away from a somewhat benevolent "make everyone live forever" to "Those who follow the teachings of the goddess of life may live forever". Demons operate differently, not really having any sort of large organization in the mortal realm, more or less they have an overall goal, and are allowed to pursue it in anyway they see fit, though there are some smaller groups of mortals that have sworn allegiance to the god of death.

I'm thinking angels and demons will mostly be given soft magic, so I can buff them if they're ever feeling too weak, or nerf them if they're feeling too strong. Like, if I make a specific angel too powerful, I can just say said magic was unique to that angel.

If there's anything else, let me know. I'll add to the culture, lore, and such of Monschau, and post it when I finish. Should also clarify real quick, the number seven is refering to the leadership, not the count of angels. there are much more than that amount.
Last edited by DeltaSource on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I'm Playing Atm:
Persona 5 Royal
Genshin Impact

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:25 pm

DeltaSource wrote:
Asardia wrote:

Ok
It's really just a name in reference to the bowls of wrath in Revelation, they don't have a natural fire affinity. "Befriending" is kinda a weird word choice by me if I'm being honest. I just couldn't think of a better word, and befriending does apply to a character concept I have. More or less it's kinda being noticed by an angel, and having them agree to lend you their strength, though befriending one would end in a similar result. There will be an organization that was started by a man who sought eternal life, the angels saw this and saw an opportunity in him to be able to weaken the 7 elemental gods. Basically, they twisted his thoughts away from a somewhat benevolent "make everyone live forever" to "Those who follow the teachings of the goddess of life may live forever". Demons operate differently, not really having any sort of large organization in the mortal realm, more or less they have an overall goal, and are allowed to pursue it in anyway they see fit, though there are some smaller groups of mortals that have sworn allegiance to the god of death.

I'm thinking angels and demons will mostly be given soft magic, so I can buff them if they're ever feeling too weak, or nerf them if they're feeling too strong. Like, if I make a specific angel too powerful, I can just say said magic was unique to that angel.

If there's anything else, let me know. I'll add to the culture, lore, and such of Monschau, and post it when I finish. Should also clarify real quick, the number seven is refering to the leadership, not the count of angels. there are much more than that amount.

t's really just a name in reference to the bowls of wrath in Revelation, they don't have a natural fire affinity

Ah I see. I also imagine this RP will be focusing on an Apocalypse like setting?

"Befriending" is kinda a weird word choice by me if I'm being honest. I just couldn't think of a better word, and befriending does apply to a character concept I have. More or less it's kinda being noticed by an angel, and having them agree to lend you their strength, though befriending one would end in a similar result. There will be an organization that was started by a man who sought eternal life, the angels saw this and saw an opportunity in him to be able to weaken the 7 elemental gods. Basically, they twisted his thoughts away from a somewhat benevolent "make everyone live forever" to "Those who follow the teachings of the goddess of life may live forever". Demons operate differently, not really having any sort of large organization in the mortal realm, more or less they have an overall goal, and are allowed to pursue it in anyway they see fit, though there are some smaller groups of mortals that have sworn allegiance to the god of death.

I see what you mean. Essentially, people can make contracts with the angels and demons, and they can manipulate those they are contracted to.

If there's anything else, let me know. I'll add to the culture, lore, and such of Monschau, and post it when I finish. Should also clarify real quick, the number seven is refering to the leadership, not the count of angels. there are much more than that amount

Alright, soft magic it is. As of now, I don't have anything to add. I can help if you need any support.

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

DeltaSource
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby DeltaSource » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:47 pm

Asardia wrote:
DeltaSource wrote:Ok

t's really just a name in reference to the bowls of wrath in Revelation, they don't have a natural fire affinity

Ah I see. I also imagine this RP will be focusing on an Apocalypse like setting?

"Befriending" is kinda a weird word choice by me if I'm being honest. I just couldn't think of a better word, and befriending does apply to a character concept I have. More or less it's kinda being noticed by an angel, and having them agree to lend you their strength, though befriending one would end in a similar result. There will be an organization that was started by a man who sought eternal life, the angels saw this and saw an opportunity in him to be able to weaken the 7 elemental gods. Basically, they twisted his thoughts away from a somewhat benevolent "make everyone live forever" to "Those who follow the teachings of the goddess of life may live forever". Demons operate differently, not really having any sort of large organization in the mortal realm, more or less they have an overall goal, and are allowed to pursue it in anyway they see fit, though there are some smaller groups of mortals that have sworn allegiance to the god of death.

I see what you mean. Essentially, people can make contracts with the angels and demons, and they can manipulate those they are contracted to.

If there's anything else, let me know. I'll add to the culture, lore, and such of Monschau, and post it when I finish. Should also clarify real quick, the number seven is refering to the leadership, not the count of angels. there are much more than that amount

Alright, soft magic it is. As of now, I don't have anything to add. I can help if you need any support.

Ok, so, I added some stuff to the individual sections of the google doc. I then realized I have no map nor the knowledge to make one lol. Also, how does one come up with a name for an rp post?? As well, if you want to make this easier, I can add you as a friend on Discord.
Last edited by DeltaSource on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I'm Playing Atm:
Persona 5 Royal
Genshin Impact

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:26 pm

DeltaSource wrote:
Asardia wrote:

Ok, so, I added some stuff to the individual sections of the google doc. I then realized I have no map nor the knowledge to make one lol. Also, how does one come up with a name for an rp post?? As well, if you want to make this easier, I can add you as a friend on Discord.

My discord is Kaiser Amadeus#1634.

Maps aren't super important for an RP, but if you want to make one, I can help you. I use Inkarnate for mine. I'll help you with it.

As for the name, I just name the OP after the title of the story (i.e Soul Reaper or Devil's Whisper). However, I've been writing stories since elementary school, so it's not hard for me to make a name. Especially since I model my RPs after my personal stories.

To keep it basic, a placeholder name could be "The Realms of Galria" (referencing the name of the land and the homes of the various beings of the story). It's probably best for you to make the name

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Joker Persona 5
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 30, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Joker Persona 5 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:47 pm

DeltaSource wrote:
Asardia wrote:
Si, cada es bien. The new players we're getting is really nice, and I have been absent a bit myself, so I don't complain.

One of the reasons I haven't specificed titles like that is because by the time the RP got rolling into the IC, most characters were either very high ranking officials (Arbitrator, Machi Yin guards, or Princes) or mages who didn't have nobility. It's also one of the reasons why I decided to remove details on Abstraction Magic, as I saw it wasn't being used.

The titles of Archduke, duke, baron, lord etc are all usuable and would make sense here. The princes would be more known as Imperial Prince to prevent confusion.

I looked at a few seconds of Persona 5 gameplay and it reminds me of a comic. I haven't seen that style since Ultimate Spider-Man

I would highly reccomend it still....awesome OST, and awesome story...if ur not sure, wait till March cuz that's when Persona 5 the Royal comes out, which is the same game, with a few new features, and a some added story, think of it as the deluxe version kinda....ps 4 exclusive still, tho there are rumors of it coming to the switch in the near future due to Joker's release for Smash.

Ok

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse