NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: An American Political Roleplay (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Governor Jonah Prendergast Jr.
Rockingham, Vermont
Tuesday 30th April, 2019

Following up on the warm receptions to his talks on economics and taxation in Nashua and Concord in New Hampshire, Jonah had decided to extend himself into neighboring Vermont. A small but not insignificant Super Tuesday state, they had a penchant for electing Republican Governors even if they tended to vote Democratic in federal races. His interview on NRATV had been a broadcast of his determined gun rights advocacy, but by itself, it would surely not be enough. He was not going to be made out as weak on guns, and so he decided to center his entrance into Vermont on a suitable gun-oriented group.

Grassroots firearms groups had played just as much of a role as the N.R.A. in some upsets in Vermont elections, upsetting long term incumbents for daring to infringe on the Second Amendment. Particularly incensed, they were sure to be, with Governor (not-Phil Scott), who had signed gun control legislation last year. This was ripe ground for him to gain supporters with a bit of fire and fury with their blood.

Having made sure some local press were available for the free publicity, he had rented out some event space at Rockingham Hill Farm for this particular rally, organized with the help of the Gun Owners of Vermont, returning to that warm sense of old-fashioned pastoralism which had so far served his campaign well. He was damn determined that somewhere, anywhere, he had to pull into the lead of Richardson. With the assembly of gun rights activists and other interested locals present, he went to take his stand.

"Good evening, Rockingham! It's wonderful to see Vermont for the first time, you have a wonderful, beautiful state here.

How many of you in here voted for (not-Phil Scott)? A fair few, I bet. You've got an expectation, an understanding, that in this day and age, Republicans will guard your firearm rights, and that it's the Democrats out to strip them away. Vermont was a haven, an isle of calm, where respect and decency governed rather than an overexercise of state power. But a tyranny has imposed itself upon you, a tyranny that none of you voted for. Not one person in this room, I can easily assume, voted for a state monopoly on violence. That's what gun control is - a state monopoly on violence. The state making exclusive to itself the right to use force. That is tyranny.

Indeed, in the Federalist Papers, James Madison - who framed the Bill of Rights - wrote that the kingdoms of old Europe, absolutist and dictatorial, were 'afraid to trust the people with arms'. He observed that an armed populace 'forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition'. His sentiments are unequivocal. The defense available to the ordinary people of this great country is to exercise their own right to force. Instead, in what has been a very sad undertaking, Vermont has become 'afraid to trust the people with arms', and thus, there is a weakened barrier 'against the enterprises of ambition'. It is the first step of many, where the state shall presume its whims to be above the fundamental rights of you, the people. I share your disquiet.

In 1876, United States v Cruikshank ruled that the right to bear arms is not dependent on the existance of the Second Amendment. That is to say, the Second Amendment is a statement of an existing and self-evident legal fact, that no power has the right to remove, or tamper with, or indeed 'infringe'. The Heller case, whilst it restored the understanding of the individual ownership of arms, was - I think - too limited in its interpretation. The Heller ruling still held that restrictions can be placed on the right to bear arms and I stand here before you to say that I believe that determination is wrong. The Second Amendment is indivisible, it is inviolable, and thus no sound jurist can accept, no sound jurist should accept, that any restriction on the right to bear arms is legal. If I am elected as your President, I will seek out originalist justices whose purity of understanding of the Constitution is such. The Second Amendment will be protected from the machinations of both the dangerous Democratic Party, and corrupt, agenda-driven justices!

Of course, I understand guns aren't all about protecting yourself from the violence of the state. There is also the violence of crime and the violence of nature. I'll speak about the latter first, as - if any of you saw my NRATV interview - you'll know that I enjoy a good hunt. Here in Vermont, with the beautiful forests you have, with the abundance of game, it would be downright criminal to deny you your right to go and hunt. Like me, I'm sure you like to make a family activity out of it, not just teaching your children how to responsibly handle their firearms, but also involving them in the process of living in a way that is more... natural, more primitive perhaps, but in the right way. Connecting to an older, simpler time, when we lived off of the land. Everyone can and should understand that, so they don't take their food for granted, which is so easy to do when you pick up meat in a plastic container at the dollar store. I know my sons, Noah, Jonah and Tobias all have learned something about themselves from hunting. So did I, when I went hunting with my dad. Let's not see an America where they take away that formative family experience. It would be a travesty.

Then, of course, there's the matter of crime and self defense. Now, Vermont is ranked the safest state in the country right now, and I don't have a doubt in my mind that comes down to, in part, the fact you have a well armed populace. Some punk in a hoodie and holding a crowbar isn't going to try to turn over your house when he knows you can put two shells of buckshot in his chest. America is safer when we deter crime. Every time men like (not-Phil Scott) take guns out of the hands of good men, whether it's private citizens or even the police, they are shifting the balance of power in favor of criminals. They are blunting and removing deterrence. This is something you all understand, so I'm not going to lecture you.

Instead, I'm going to tell you what I'm going to do.

I will only nominated justices to the federal bench committed to an absolute, uninfringed Second Amendment.

I will direct my Justice Department to support, rather than hound, people who have been forced to defend their homes and families with firearms.

I will direct my Justice Department to support, rather than harass, members of the police who have been forced to use their firearms to stop crime.

I will work with Republican Senate and House leaders, in my first 100 Days, to draft and pass legislation to annul the illegal restrictions on the Second Amendment.

A Prendergast Administration will be the most pro-gun administration in American history. That is my promise to you, cast-iron, here and now.

Too long have good, honest, decent Americans like you been pushed around with the extraordinary powers of the state. Too long have you been denied your expression, and your seat at the table. It's fantastic, the work you've been doing here in Vermont, helping communities designate themselves as Second Amendemnt sanctuaries. Your work makes you true patriots. But the truth is, that this revolution, this 'in-the-trenches' defense of the Second Amendment needs to go higher. It needs to go to the highest authority. You have a right to demand that, and that's what I'm here to offer you. In a way, I want to put you out of work, because this isn't what the Founders intended. Ordinary Americans should not need to be taking hours out of their day to fight to protect their fundamental rights. Those rights should be guaranteed. I want to help deliver an America where you can hang up your hats and enjoy your free time as free Americans, rather than having to defend yourselves from a mendacious and untrustworthy state.

I want to say thank you, thank you for your efforts. Thank you for digging in to keep Vermont safe and free. Thank you for putting liberty first. And thank you for hosting me here for this talk."

Like he had after his taxation talk in Concord, he spent time after the talk shaking hands and generally being jovial with as many people as he could get his hands on. Building relationships, leaving warm feelings. He only hoped that his visit to Vermont would prove to pay off in the long run.
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 am

Sanabel wrote:
Greater Arab State wrote:“Well, Mr President. With regard to the Republican Primaries, Governor Richardson requested a meeting with me in which he asked for my advice with regard to his presidential campaign. My suggestion was at the Congressional Caucus thought that it wouldn’t be the best time for him to run currently and therefore advised he consider suspending his campaign in favour of someone more connected to the Wolf agenda. However, the Governor disagreed and argued that midterms were a landslide defeat for the administration.”

“They were a defeat. Not in the Senate. We won big in the senate. But they were a defeat in the House. They were, sadly- maybe the Democrats stole it, I don’t know. I don’t think so but I’ve heard that. I don’t know. But what is the issue?”

“The issue was that Governor Richardson directly blames you for it, Mr President, also saying that the administration had essentially underperformed within its first year in terms of legislation, particularly in comparison to his time as Governor.”
Last edited by Greater Arab State on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:43 am

Nathaniel Richardson
WRNN Hot Talk 99.5, Myrtle Beach- Florence Market
April 29th, 2019

Jones: Hey this is Jimmy “Wombat” Jones for WRNN Hot Talk on 99.5! We are joined today by current Republican frontrunner for the Presidential nomination, Governor Nathaniel Richardson. Governor thank you for joining us.

Richardson: Its great to be here Jimmy.

Jones: Lawmakers in South Carolina just set aside $160 million for pay raises for teachers and massively overhauled the education system. But the Governor has indicated more changes are needed, how do you feel we should be managing education?

Richardson: Well specifically in South Carolina my understanding is that the overhaul is more about cleaning the car’s engine rather than getting a new one. Not to say that cleaning can’t do the trick but I do think we need to see more focus on ESAs and vouchers programs, a teacher’s bill of rights and we should give localities more control over how they spend their funds. One district might want to focus on a new special education teacher and another might need a new calculus teacher… every district is different and as long as oversight is robust districts should be allowed to customize for its specific needs.

Jones: State officials are currently looking at private bids to take over the Santee Cooper utility that manages the State’s energy, is it a good idea to have the utility privately managed?

Richardson: It clearly wasn’t a good idea to have it publicly managed. The nuclear project was a fiasco that the people of South Carolina are forced to foot the bill for. We need to be able to hold people and organizations accountable when they don’t deliver and private public partnerships give us the best opportunity to do that.

Private Public partnerships give taxpayers the most bang for their buck, the most benefit at the minimum cost and that should be the goal of all public policy. Especially when it comes to energy we need to be focusing on providing the most affordable energy possible and we do that through Public-Private Partnerships.

Jones: A decade ago we replaced the local property tax with a 1 cent sales tax increase, now that Carolinians are hungry for tax reform how should it be reformed?

Richardson: I am in favor of every proposal that lowers and streamlines taxes. We talk a lot about the Wolf Tax Cuts which were great however the tax reform and simplification, as well as the deregulation were just as important. Small businesses are the engine of our economy and every small business owner says that regulation and complicated taxes are the biggest barriers to success. As Governor my state got $4 billion in tax relief done and it was a boon to the economy but we also paired that with reform and deregulation to make everything simpler and less intrusive for people that cant afford an army of lawyers and accountants.

Jones: The Governor has talked about returning over $200 million to taxpayers as a one term rebate depending on the taxpayers income, the rebate would range from $50 to over $200,000. Do you support rebates?

Richardson: I support rebates to low and middle income individuals, as I said we need to get the most benefit for the lowest cost. Right now North Carolina has a significant surplus even after the tax cuts we got done, some of that surplus we invested in our infrastructure and schools, and some we are saving in an emergency fund. That was the right decision for our state, whatever the legislature decides to use that money for they should be applauded for having a surplus and being fiscally responsible in the first place.

Jones: How do you feel about the rhetoric coming from former Secretary of Defense Porter?

Richardson: Honestly? Part of me feels sad and part of me is enraged, this is someone who served our nation with distinction and by all means was a good Secretary of Defense. But the hatred, bile and dangerous rhetoric coming from him is completely unacceptable not just in politics but in decent society.

Nothing that he says is Conservative or is reflective of the Republican Party. He is a borderline fascist calling for an end to free markets and for mass nationalization, combine that with his emphasis on cultural warfare? It's beyond worrying and I applaud everyone who has called him out on it.

Jones: Any thoughts on the entrance of Wolf Jr. to the race? Many think his entry will knock you out of your first place spot.

Richardson: I welcome everyone to the race and to have a strong debate on the issues, including Arnold Wolf Jr. I would be incredibly surprised if I had the lead in fundraising or polling after this, but its a marathon not a sprint and I believe as I bring my message to more and more people it will be a message that resonates both with the party and the country as a whole.

Jones: Thats all the time we have, thank you for joining us Governor.

Ricahrdson: My pleasure, thank you for having me and God Bless.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:54 am

Congressman Papazian (D-CA 28)

It wasn’t a terribly far walk from Simone’s office to Representative Atang’s office, which is where the freshman representative from California’s 28th district would walk to next. Similar to at Simone’s office, when arriving at Atang’s office. Davit checked in with the secretary to make his entrance.
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Von Markstein
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Von Markstein » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:33 am

Jack Chambers Western Tour: Denver

Colorado was still considered a swing state nationally and as one of the Super Tuesday states, Jack felt it was important to spend a good amount of time there and make a good impression with some retail politics.

Denver itself may have been the state's hub but it certainly was not the hub for Republican politics in this state. The closer one seemed to get into the heart of an urban area the more liberal it always became. This was a truth that perplexed Jack, wouldn't these people want a strong economy, lower taxes, and increased liberties too? I mean geesh who wouldn't. Therefore, Jack and his staff had decided to traverse the outlying suburbs of Denver which would be more appreciative of good conservative politics.

The bus went thought the suburbs attending various planned community and church cookouts and meet and greet events. Jack ate way to many hamburgers as he constantly circled through speaking and shaking hands,exchanging niceties with the good folk of this state. Jack lead a few prayers here and there but this was a much less religious area, Utah would be a better showing for that kind of politics. So instead, Jack fell back on his bread butter, discussing balancing the budget, taxes, and other economic policies (but avoiding trade).

It was later that afternoon that Jack and his staff hit the road again to begin cutting through the Rockies to their next destination.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:43 am

Velahor wrote:Congressman Papazian (D-CA 28)

It wasn’t a terribly far walk from Simone’s office to Representative Atang’s office, which is where the freshman representative from California’s 28th district would walk to next. Similar to at Simone’s office, when arriving at Atang’s office. Davit checked in with the secretary to make his entrance.

Atang's secretary exclaimed, "ah, Congressman Parpazian, here you are." And she handed him a "VISITOR" badge. Atang was talking to his staff before abruptly turning to Parpazian, motioning to shake hands, and exclaiming "hey!"
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Azekopolaltion » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:10 am

Candidates Answer CFR's Questions

Tim Westra
CFR invited the presidential candidates in the 2020 election to articulate their positions on twelve critical foreign policy issues. Candidates’ answers are posted exactly as they are received.
1. How, if at all, should China’s treatment of the Uighurs affect broader U.S. policy toward China?

I find it to be a great irony that, every time we wage a disastrous regime change war abroad, the justification provided by the U.S. government is that "America is the world's policeman." It is apparently our job to enforce the ideals of liberty, democracy, and human rights around the world by any means necessary. Yet, when it comes to the blatant abuses occurring in China or Saudi Arabia, the U.S. continues to turn a blind eye.

I do not believe war to be an answer to the complicated geopolitical issues that we face. We have tried war for the past few decades, and by and large it has failed. However, I do believe that the United States has a responsibility to promote these values abroad via diplomatic channels and nonviolent means.

The Chinese Communist Party’s program of mass internment and repressive treatment of the Uighurs and other minorities is symptomatic of a wider issue: the resurgence of dangerous authoritarian tactics around the world. It is the responsibility of the United States president and the Secretary of State to invoke the Global Magnitsky Act to sanction Chinese and global individuals involved with financing and operating the Uighur detention centers. I will take such a step as Commander in Chief. I will also penalize companies that violate U.S. laws in utilizing forced labor in the Xinjiang region, as well as corporations that supply the Chinese government with surveillance technology.

The threat posed by China to U.S. and international interests is not limited to its repulsive human rights record. It includes currency manipulation and forced technology transfer. These are practices that must be barred in any future international trade deals that the United States participates in.

I do not believe that partnership with China is impossible. Participation in shared projects is sometimes a key part of gaining leverage against hostile actors. As president, I will not enter job-destroying trade deals like TPP, which would have outsourced over 2 million jobs in the name of "combatting China's influence." Instead, I will pursue a smart trade policy that creates jobs here in America. This includes the possibility of joining the Belt and Road Initiative, which would bring in the necessary investment to rebuild our infrastructure and employ American workers. Such involvement would come with strings attached, and allow us to leverage China in the realms of human rights and environmental standards.

2. Would you rejoin the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA)? What changes to the existing agreement, if any, would you require before agreeing to rejoin the accord?

I think, first, it is important to understand that a war with Iran would be far more costly and far more devastating than anything that we experienced in other regime change wars, namely in Iraq and Vietnam. What we would see is a devastating cost on our troops, a cost on the civilians, people both in Iran and across the region, the worst refugee crisis across Europe, as well as a strengthening of terrorist groups like ISIS and al-Qaeda, further undermining our national security. So, it would essentially make the war in Iraq look like a cakewalk when we look at the cost of going to war with Iran.

Now imagine if such a war occurred, but with nuclear weapons on both sides. I was cautiously supportive of the Iran Deal in 2015. It was not a perfect deal, but it was an important step towards permanent denuclearization in the region and provided a path forward for a compliant Iran; the deal brought transparency into Iran’s nuclear program and pushed back any significant nuclear breakthrough by a decade. Upon President Wolf's foolish withdrawal from the agreement, Iran has never been closer to a nuclear weapon.

If Iran agrees to negotiations and returns to compliance under JCPOA standards, I would return the United States to the deal. If the state refuses to comply, it will be my job to rally our allies and utilize diplomatic channels to bring America and Iran back to the negotiating table.

The Iran Deal as it was negotiated in 2015 is not enough. It will be necessary to forge a follow-on agreement to restrict the nation's nuclear program past the "sunset" of the negotiated terms. It is also imperative that we deal with Iran's ballistic missile program and it's sponsoring of regional proxy groups. The Iran Deal was a launchpad for such diplomatic efforts, and renegotiating this deal will be a priority of my diplomatic agenda.
3. Would you sign an agreement with North Korea that entailed partial sanctions relief in exchange for some dismantling of its nuclear weapons program but not full denuclearization?

The mistake we made with North Korea is something we avoided with Iran under President Baharia's leadership. Limited sanctions relief is an option we could pursue with North Korea in return for a solid nuclear agreement with the nation. President Wolf's meeting with Kim Jong Un was a step forward in this direction, but not enough serious diplomatic efforts were undertaken to reach an agreement. We have to prevent an expansion of North Korean arsenal at all costs, and an interim agreement similar to the Iran Deal is a realistic goal that negotiators can pursue to contain the immediate threat posed by North Korea to American national security.
4. What, if any, steps would you take to counter Russian aggression against Ukraine?

Ukraine's territorial integrity is protected by the UN Charter and European security agreements, which Russia has signed and is obligated to respect. Essentially, Russia is acting in violation of international agreements. As president, I will ensure that the United States and Europe continue their policy of non-recognition of Crimea’s illegal incorporation. We must also maintain Crimea-related sanctions on Russia, if for no other reason than to signal that such land grabs have no place in 21st-century Europe.

We must also be willing to negotiate with Russia, however egregious their intentions. It is my opinion that NATO's existence was very necessary at the height of the Cold War, but it's presence today only reignites age-old animus between nation states around the world and reinforces the bloc-geopolitics of the pre-80's. It is my opinion that the solution to this crisis lies in diplomatic solutions, not military ones. It is important to consider the possibility that NATO is only further encouraging aggression by Russian actors, rather than forcing a diplomatic conversation between both blocs.
5. Would you commit to the full withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan by the end of your first term, or would you require certain conditions be met before doing so?

The U.S. has been in a never-ending state of war in Afghanistan for the past 18 years, with no noticeable progress in the region. I opposed the initial Authorization of Military Force and I oppose it today, and believe it should be repealed. This is a war that has undoubtedly fueled immense strife among the civilians of Afghanistan, and is a conflict that the American people are sick of financing. I will commit to creating a long-term strategy for drastic troop reduction in Afghanistan and eventual withdrawal by the end of my first term. However, we have to ensure that we are taking steps to protect the human rights of individuals in the region, especially those of women and young girls who have been traditionally oppressed by radical organizations like the Taliban. In addition, measures have to be taken to prevent any further development of terrorist groups within the borders of Afghanistan. By diversifying the economy of Afghanistan and strengthening diplomatic ties, I believe this can be accomplished.

I will not make any unilateral decisions in Afghanistan or in other regions like Syria without first consulting our allies, namely the Kurdish fighters who have been assisting us in the fight against terrorism in Northern Syria, and I will not make any withdrawal-related decisions without first consulting the women of Afghanistan and enacting proper protections in any peace deal.
6. Given the assassination of Jamal Khashoggi and Saudi Arabia’s involvement in the civil war in Yemen, what changes, if any, would you make to U.S. policy toward Saudi Arabia?

The U.S.-Saudi alliance needs to be reevaluated. It is a relationship that is purely transactional, revolving around cheap oil and lucrative arms sales that lead to a blatant disregard for Saudi Arabia's human rights abuses and its spread of religious radicalism in the form of terror. We must end our support for the horrific Saudi-led war in Yemen that has resulted in the worst humanitarian crisis in the world. We must also place a moratorium on all arms sales to Saudi Arabia until we can make progress on their human rights violations, including their treatment of women as third class citizens and their poor record on press freedoms.

The unfortunate truth is that, in the pursuit of lasting stability in the Middle East, we must engage with autocratic regimes, including Saudi Arabia. We must bring both the Saudis and the Iranians to the table in promoting peace in the region and among those nations.
7. Do you support a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and, if so, how would you go about trying to achieve it?

It is my opinion that President Wolf’s decision to run away from the two state solution in Israel-Palestine was one of the worst foreign policy decisions of his tenure, up there with withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accords and the Iran Nuclear Deal. Israel is our strongest, most important ally in the Middle East. They have an undeniable right to exist and it should be recognized that, as the sole democracy in the Middle East, Israel’s place as one of our most significant allies needs to be preserved.

At the same time, the rise of reactionary right-wing governments worldwide and their explicit attempts to roll back our global progress on advancing human rights is a serious threat to the world order and our relationships with other nations. This, sadly, includes Israel and it’s hijacking by the reactionary government of Benjamin Netanyahu. Simultaneously, Mahmoud Abbas’s ineffectual leadership of the Palestinian Authority and inability to rein in Hamas in the Gaza Strip makes the two state solution all the more difficult to reach.

However, it is not the American way to run from a task simply because it is hard. In the interest of maintaining a strong relationship with the Jewish state of Israel and recognizing the right of Palestinian people to live in peace, we must make it clear that America’s intention is to negotiate a two state solution in the region. Israel obviously has a right to defend itself from rockets launched by Hamas, but the recent slaughter of nonviolent Palestinian protestors by IDF individuals is unacceptable. So is the recent “nation-state law” passed by Netanyahu. On the Palestinian side, Hamas is clearly a bigoted terrorist organization that wishes to see the destruction of the Israeli state and rules over Gaza with an iron fist. Negotiations will require tact and good intentions. I believe we can bring out the best from both sides, but we must lead with magnanimity, not the bluster of President Wolf.
8. What, if any, additional steps should the United States take to remove Nicolás Maduro from power in Venezuela?

Let me be absolutely unambiguous: Nicolás Maduro is the illegitimate leader of Venezuela. He is an autocrat and a crook who has no concern for anything except maintaining his own position of power. It is not appropriate for the United States to remain complicit in his unacceptable actions against protestors, but we also cannot be in the business of regime change. We have followed this path before in Latin America, and we have seen the results. Disastrous, to say the least.

As President, I will listen to activists on the ground in Venezuela and work with the United Nations to enforce the rule of law and conduct free and fair elections in the country. Venezuelans themselves are advising against the use of broad, non targeted sanctions against the state, including oil sanctions, that are having more of a negative impact on the people of Venezuela than on the cronies in the government, and I will listen to what those activists have to say. I will continue to impose direct sanctions on Maduro and his allies who continue to rule over the Venezuelan people without regard to human rights and democracy. But I will not be compelled to declare who is president of the nation and who is not, by military means or otherwise. That power remains in the hands of the Venezuelan people; it is their right to determine who their leader is, not ours.
9. By 2050, Africa will account for 25 percent of the world’s population according to projections by the United Nations. What are the implications of this demographic change for the United States, and how should we adjust our policies to anticipate them?

As President, I will develop a new policy with African nations that moves away from the colonial history that led to the impoverishment of the continent and the exploitation that caused the current resource wars in the continent. It is time to stop treating the nations of this diverse continent as states where we dump our excess in the name of "foreign aid," and instead we need to start treating African nations as partners in the wider global economy; Sub-Saharan Africa, for instance, represents one of the biggest opportunities for new markets for US goods and investment. I will work with African heads of state to develop industry in the continent, work towards climate mitigation, and assist in conflict management to enter a new Golden Era for U.S.-African relations.
10. Under what circumstances, if any, would you support the United States joining the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP), formerly the Trans-Pacific Partnership?

Under no circumstances will I join the CPTPP as currently negotiated. I opposed the original TPP, and have opposed every job-destroying trade deal that has caused so much pain in our industrial communities by outsourcing jobs to Vietnam, Mexico, China, and other nations with poor labor standards and a bad environmental record. This is personal to me; I have seen firsthand the devastation that comes with the closure of textile mills and steel plants in my state - in my own hometown. People fall into deep poverty, they're evicted from their homes, and they get employed in lower-paying jobs. This global race to the bottom must end. As president, I will enforce a trade agenda that works for American workers and the environment, not just the multinational corporations. Trade deals under a Westra Administration will be negotiated transparently, giving the public a chance to read the text and weigh in. A report will be drafted on every agreement to gauge the economic impact on our communities. And then, instead of using the "fast track" process to approve the deal, Congress will have a chance to propose changes to strengthen labor standards and environmental provisions.

I am not opposed to international cooperation and development. I think the Belt and Road Initiative could be promising for American infrastructure and American workers, and would seriously consider joining it to create jobs here at home, not outsource them. It is high time that unions, not corporations and foreign investors, have a role in writing our trade deals. Rejoining the TPP would be a serious betrayal of these workers and would undo the very little progress that this Administration has made on trade.
11. How would you discourage the proliferation of coal-fired power plants in developing countries?

Climate change is the greatest challenge for our world but also the greatest opportunity for the American economy. To deal with the immediate threat of coal-fired plants in the developing world, I will utilize American leverage in international institutions to end all support for fossil fuel projects. This means cutting of U.S. financial support for coal projects in the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) and the Export-Import Bank; projects in both organizations are seriously dependent on U.S. investment.

Then, I will capitalize on this new market to build up American industries. I will create a Renewable Marshall Plan to invest $100 billion for projects around the world that will provide American-made renewable energy technology to developing nations; participation in these projects will be contingent on the introduction of new regulations in those nations.

This is a crisis that we cannot afford to ignore as an international community. Only with sustained cooperation, serious global financing efforts, and partnership with private industry can we hope to have a fighting chance at beating the climate crisis.
12. What has been the greatest foreign policy accomplishment of the United States since World War II? What has been the biggest mistake?

The United States has seen moments of great accomplishment in foreign policy when he have emphasized our diplomatic tools and international alliances over military solutions. In the post-war moment, upon stemming the rise of fascism and imperialism in World War II, American leaders and our allies around the world decided that we would never slip into the horror of a world war again, and certainly not with nuclear weapons. Although the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons was a major international effort, the impetus behind it came from U.S. foreign policy and the previous efforts of one of my favorite presidents, Dwight Eisenhower, whose "Atoms for Peace" proposal to the UN inspired the creation of such an agreement. The treaty can be credited with keeping the world from exploding into a nuclear war until this day.

Our biggest foreign policy errors have been our incessant need in modern times to wage regime change wars in nations where we have no business in getting involved. The Iraq War, in my view, was the biggest foreign policy flop in America's modern history. It was an easily preventable war, one that I warned against on the floor of the House, and it was only initiated because of the Burke Administration's interest in Iraqi oil and enriching the military industrial complex. That consequential decision, to invade Iraq in the spring of 2003, has directly led to the current destabilization of the Middle East, the rise of radical Islamist insurgencies like ISIS and Al Qaeda, and has permanently created a national security concern for our nation. The Iraq War is representative of my foreign policy argument: when we engage in costly foreign wars that are started for the sake of money, we only end up costing our soldiers, taxpayers, and the safety of our population in the long run.
Last edited by Azekopolaltion on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:22 am

Agarntrop wrote:
Velahor wrote:Congressman Papazian (D-CA 28)

Atang's secretary exclaimed, "ah, Congressman Parpazian, here you are." And she handed him a "VISITOR" badge. Atang was talking to his staff before abruptly turning to Parpazian, motioning to shake hands, and exclaiming "hey!"

Papazian, noticing the considerably warmer welcome at this office, reached out to shake hands with a hearty “heyyyy!” He took the badge and held it in his left hand while he did so.

He then continued, “Pleasure to meet you Representative,” he replied, with a smile and eye contact.
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:24 am

Nathaniel Richardson
@GovernorRichardson

Senator Westra just did a Q&A with the Council on Foreign Relations and in addressing the Uighurs in China said the following "The Chinese Communist Party’s program of mass internment and repressive treatment of the Uighurs and other minorities is symptomatic of a wider issue: the resurgence of dangerous authoritarian tactics around the world." If Westra thinks these tactics ever stopped he has been living under a rock, the People's Republic alone has been responsible for such violations since its inception, to say nothing of other countless instances around the globe.

Nathaniel Richardson
@GovernorRichardson

Additionally Senator Westra wants to JOIN China's Belt and Road Initiative which is their chief method of spreading influence across the globe. China is not our friend, the last thing we should do is aid them in spreading their influence.
Last edited by Dentali on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Azekopolaltion » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:31 am

Sarenium wrote:
"Let's break this down," she was scribbling the figures Westra had spoken of, "$2.5tr over a decade will fund the insurance network, roughly 1,200 out of 5,100 hospitals are wholly publicly owned. A remaining 2,900 hospitals are not for profit organisations. That leaves 4,100 hospitals which under my plan will adhere to the masterlist. The reason is simple, not for profit hospitals operate by paying no taxes under the premise that they benefit their community, lowered fees and the end of exclusivity arrangements benefits the community, that would apply to all not for profit practices. In terms of quality of care, my system wouldn't result in worse care for the poorest in our society, the poorest in our society aren't visiting doctors, or receiving care. My plan expands coverage, and gives every American the opportunity to get care. You won't need to skip a visit to the doctor due to the cost, which as Senator Murphy said, means more Americans, getting the care they need. To summarize, my plan isn't short on a single dollar, we can have fully funded medicare for all who want it, and we can have it within my first hundred days in office."

Senator Westra was not at all convinced of her math - if Australia had a population 13 times smaller than the U.S. how could this system be only $700 billion more expensive in America - but he decided to move on to the next plan. "We're going in order of extremeness here, with Senator Murphy supporting Medicare for All, Senator Dayton advocating for a vastly expanded free socialized medicine option, and now we move to Senator Doyle. Senator, you're calling for something more than a public option; you call it 'Medicaid for All.' Talk us through your plan, Frank."
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:32 am

Nathaniel Richardson
@GovernorRichardson

Westra also seems to be suggesting leaving NATO and that the mere existence of NATO is the reason Russia invaded Crimea.

We must also be willing to negotiate with Russia, however egregious their intentions. It is my opinion that NATO's existent was very necessary at the height of the Cold War, but it's presence today only reignites age-old animus between nation states around the world and reinforces the bloc-geopolitics of the pre-80's. It is my opinion that the solution to this crisis lies in diplomatic solutions, not military ones. It is important to consider the possibility that NATO is only further encouraging aggression by Russian actors, rather than forcing a diplomatic conversation between both blocs.

NATO is our best defense, diplomatically, economically, and militarily, again Russia. Its dissolution would make the world less safe, not more.
Last edited by Dentali on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am

Bernard J. Porter
@BerniePorter

Tim Westra's comments in the CFR Q&A underscore why we lose wars in this day and age: because people like him are intent on weakening our national security, on weakening our military position and attacking our allies. This isn't a political or subjective comment - this is an objective one, speaking from my military experience.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:58 am

Nathaniel Richardson
@GovernorRichardson

Among President Wolf's many achievements is his commitment to getting the rest NATO to pay its fair share and take a more active role in the alliance. It has made the alliance and by extension our own defense stronger and more able to deal with the threats of this next decade. As President I hope to continue this and even expand NATO.

Alaskava
Attaché

Founded: Jan 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alaskava » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:02 am

Sen. Arthur Bragg
@BraggForAmerica

Senator Westra's comments about joining the Chinese Communist Party's Belt and Road initiative at worst call into question his commitment to U.S. National Security and at best demonstrate a complete lack of understanding regarding the Chinese regime's attempt to become the dominant geopolitical force on the world stage. Suggesting that we should aid the Chinese government in their quest to expand their influence over developing nations is altogether disqualifying, and Senator Westra should either suspend his campaign or immediately clarify his remarks.

Team Bragg 2020
@Bragg2020

Senator Bragg believes that Chinese expansionism should be countered by bringing together America's Asia-Pacific allies to create a regional alternative to the PRC's influence. Nations like Japan, Australia, South Korea, and Taiwan should serve as the backbone of a new Democratic Pacific Alliance, and Senator Bragg will make this one of the biggest foreign policy priorities of his Administration.

Team Bragg 2020
@Bragg2020

Senator Bragg also believes that NATO should continue to stand stalwart against continued Russian aggression in Eastern Europe and elsewhere, and is in favor of expanding the Alliance, not tearing it apart as Senator Westra has proposed. Senator Bragg believes we must reaffirm our commitments to our allies and project strength, not cave to the pressures of Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:11 am

Alaskava wrote:
(Image)
Sen. Arthur Bragg
@BraggForAmerica

Senator Westra's comments about joining the Chinese Communist Party's Belt and Road initiative at worst call into question his commitment to U.S. National Security and at best demonstrate a complete lack of understanding regarding the Chinese regime's attempt to become the dominant geopolitical force on the world stage. Suggesting that we should aid the Chinese government in their quest to expand their influence over developing nations is altogether disqualifying, and Senator Westra should either suspend his campaign or immediately clarify his remarks.

(Image)
Team Bragg 2020
@Bragg2020

Senator Bragg believes that Chinese expansionism should be countered by bringing together America's Asia-Pacific allies to create a regional alternative to the PRC's influence. Nations like Japan, Australia, South Korea, and Taiwan should serve as the backbone of a new Democratic Pacific Alliance, and Senator Bragg will make this one of the biggest foreign policy priorities of his Administration.

(Image)
Team Bragg 2020
@Bragg2020

Senator Bragg also believes that NATO should continue to stand stalwart against continued Russian aggression in Eastern Europe and elsewhere, and is in favor of expanding the Alliance, not tearing it apart as Senator Westra has proposed. Senator Bragg believes we must reaffirm our commitments to our allies and project strength, not cave to the pressures of Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping.

All liked by Governor Richardson

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:18 am

Karen Brookshire
@BrookshireGal
ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS! That's how much Senator Westra wants to give to other countries, other people for a pipe dream of unilaterally solving climate change.

Karen Brookshire
@BrookshireGal
We can't just spend that much money! Let's instead fix use that 100 billion USD to fix our roads or give tax breaks to small businesses and citizens.

Karen Brookshire
@BrookshireGal
Let's fix our country and get America back on track! Heck, I know people right here in Texas would love some of that money as tax cuts.
Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Azekopolaltion » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:59 am

Tim Westra

@WestraNJ
timwestra.com

@BrookshireGal Our campaign has proposed $1.8 trillion in tax credits for workers – the biggest tax cut for the middle class in history. Glad to hear you’re endorsing it. Meanwhile, the Green Marshall Plan would promote American businesses and American made technology abroad; it’s not to “give” to other nations, but to support our own workers and industries.
Last edited by Azekopolaltion on Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:26 am

Erika Goldman
@GoldmanConnecticut

[Clip of Tim Westra eating a cheesecake and the controversial Fox News interview]

Just in case anyone's forgotten: a vote for Tim Westra is a vote against women's rights! #ProLifeWestra
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:29 am

Knowing she was bound by the Speaker's directive to be more neutral in the presidential primary, Simone wasn't sure she could be direct in her criticism of Westra, but neither could she be silent after his Council on Foreign Relations interview. Both the proposition that N.A.T.O. was redundant and that the U.S. should sign up to the Belt and Road Initiative were inherently horrifiying, and she felt she had a moral duty to the country, as much as a duty to protect her caucus, from any accusation that the Democrats supported such a thing.

Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

Collective security is national security. N.A.T.O. continues to enhance the safety of the United States even in the post-Soviet age, as Russia and China maintain violent, expansionist designs - designs they pursue without any provocation from the West. The assertion that the West is to blame for the hostility of malign foreign actors is inherently faulty, and implies that the Russian invasion of Ukraine contrary to the Budapest Memorandum is justified, among other things, which it certainly is not.

Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

The Democratic Party stands by the idea of a strong U.S. in a strong N.A.T.O., and believes wholeheartedly that our world is safer, stronger and more stable with the security that organization provides. From Deering, Alaska to Diyarbekir, Turkey, there exists a knowledge, a security of thought that these communities will be safer from the specter of resurgent Russian ultranationalism and imperialism.

Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

China's Belt and Road Initiative prima facie looks like a trading operation but peel back the surface and the truth is far more malign. China's system of international pressure and influence, using their economic weight to stifle opposition and support dictatorships. Wonder why Sudan, a country run by a genocidal dictator indicted by the I.C.C. and with little real wealth, has such good roads? It's because China props them up.This Chinese system of influence also directly supports the Assadist regime in Syria.

Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

The idea that the United States should participate in these schemes is unconscionable, and will receive no support from House Democrats.
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:34 am

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:Knowing she was bound by the Speaker's directive to be more neutral in the presidential primary, Simone wasn't sure she could be direct in her criticism of Westra, but neither could she be silent after his Council on Foreign Relations interview. Both the proposition that N.A.T.O. was redundant and that the U.S. should sign up to the Belt and Road Initiative were inherently horrifiying, and she felt she had a moral duty to the country, as much as a duty to protect her caucus, from any accusation that the Democrats supported such a thing.

(Image)
Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

Collective security is national security. N.A.T.O. continues to enhance the safety of the United States even in the post-Soviet age, as Russia and China maintain violent, expansionist designs - designs they pursue without any provocation from the West. The assertion that the West is to blame for the hostility of malign foreign actors is inherently faulty, and implies that the Russian invasion of Ukraine contrary to the Budapest Memorandum is justified, among other things, which it certainly is not.

(Image)
Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

The Democratic Party stands by the idea of a strong U.S. in a strong N.A.T.O., and believes wholeheartedly that our world is safer, stronger and more stable with the security that organization provides. From Deering, Alaska to Diyarbekir, Turkey, there exists a knowledge, a security of thought that these communities will be safer from the specter of resurgent Russian ultranationalism and imperialism.

(Image)
Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

China's Belt and Road Initiative prima facie looks like a trading operation but peel back the surface and the truth is far more malign. China's system of international pressure and influence, using their economic weight to stifle opposition and support dictatorships. Wonder why Sudan, a country run by a genocidal dictator indicted by the I.C.C. and with little real wealth, has such good roads? It's because China props them up.This Chinese system of influence also directly supports the Assadist regime in Syria.

(Image)
Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

The idea that the United States should participate in these schemes is unconscionable, and will receive no support from House Democrats.

EMAIL

TO: Rep Carrie Simone

Your recent tweet tread the line regarding staying neutral in the Presidential Race. They are on the appropriate side of the line, but I just want to remind you to be careful and put the responsibilities of your leadership role first. Regardless of how much I agree with your stance on the issue, we need to prioritize holding together the party. Please refrain from commenting unless absolutely necessary.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:35 am

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:Knowing she was bound by the Speaker's directive to be more neutral in the presidential primary, Simone wasn't sure she could be direct in her criticism of Westra, but neither could she be silent after his Council on Foreign Relations interview. Both the proposition that N.A.T.O. was redundant and that the U.S. should sign up to the Belt and Road Initiative were inherently horrifiying, and she felt she had a moral duty to the country, as much as a duty to protect her caucus, from any accusation that the Democrats supported such a thing.

(Image)
Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

(Image)
Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

(Image)
Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

(Image)
Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

Liked and retweeted by Senator James Moore and Governor Nathaniel Richardson

Lavar Baller
Attaché

Founded: Mar 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lavar Baller » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:39 am

Azekopolaltion wrote:
Sarenium wrote:
"Let's break this down," she was scribbling the figures Westra had spoken of, "$2.5tr over a decade will fund the insurance network, roughly 1,200 out of 5,100 hospitals are wholly publicly owned. A remaining 2,900 hospitals are not for profit organisations. That leaves 4,100 hospitals which under my plan will adhere to the masterlist. The reason is simple, not for profit hospitals operate by paying no taxes under the premise that they benefit their community, lowered fees and the end of exclusivity arrangements benefits the community, that would apply to all not for profit practices. In terms of quality of care, my system wouldn't result in worse care for the poorest in our society, the poorest in our society aren't visiting doctors, or receiving care. My plan expands coverage, and gives every American the opportunity to get care. You won't need to skip a visit to the doctor due to the cost, which as Senator Murphy said, means more Americans, getting the care they need. To summarize, my plan isn't short on a single dollar, we can have fully funded medicare for all who want it, and we can have it within my first hundred days in office."

Senator Westra was not at all convinced of her math - if Australia had a population 13 times smaller than the U.S. how could this system be only $700 billion more expensive in America - but he decided to move on to the next plan. "We're going in order of extremeness here, with Senator Murphy supporting Medicare for All, Senator Dayton advocating for a vastly expanded free socialized medicine option, and now we move to Senator Doyle. Senator, you're calling for something more than a public option; you call it 'Medicaid for All.' Talk us through your plan, Frank."

Frank cleared his throat before it was his turn to chime in on the roundtable conversation. "As president, I want to finally join the rest of the world in having a universal healthcare system where every American is guaranteed basic healthcare as a right of citizenship. I firmly believe we can do this. You know why I think we can do this? Because Germany has a universal healthcare system, France has a universal healthcare system, Sweden has a universal healthcare system, the Netherlands has a universal healthcare system."

"But you know what these countries don't have? A single-payer healthcare system. Now, don't get me wrong. I think single-payer is a good aspiration, I see it as something we can achieve in the long run. I've even asked Senator Winthrop to add me as a cosponsor of her Medicare for All bill. But my campaign has crunched the numbers and looked at the details. This is not something we can implement successfully at this moment."

"What Germany, France and Sweden show is that there are different ways of achieving a universal healthcare system. It doesn't have to be Medicare for All and, while I respect Senator Murphy, it's just not true that every who doesn't agree with your plan is in the pocket of the insurance companies."

"I believe my plan is the best one here. Like you pointed out, Tim, it's called Medicaid for All. I call it Medicaid for All not literally because it is a Medicaid expansion, because I think 'aid' is a more accurate way of describing the plan. Medicare is an insurance program, Medicaid is an assistance program. Where Medicare requires premiums and cost-sharing, Medicaid is free for most who use it."

"Medicaid for All will provide a basic healthcare package to every American as a right of citizenship – for free. This will replace the current Medicaid program which is insufficient and leaves a coverage gap in many states, and we roll that into this new expansive coverage program. We leave Medicare intact for our seniors because it works and most of our elderly population is happy with it. This package will include the ACA 10 Essential Health Benefits, perhaps with the exception of dental care and eyeglasses."

"The best part of this system is, it'll allow our citizens to have choices. You can purchase supplemental plans to top up the package provided by the government. You can opt out of the government plan, and go for a high-standard private plan instead for which you can obtain a tax credit for. This is a better system than immediate single-payer, which will burden our medical establishments with low reimbursement rates and overall lower the quality of care in America. Instead, we can provide free basic healthcare to our citizens at private or public establishments, and these establishments will get the necessary revenue from supplemental insurance plans."

"Let me explain this system in simple terms. If you take a step back and look at health care economics, right now, let’s say the cost of delivering health care is $100; Medicaid pays $80. Medicare pays $95, and private insurance pays $115. If you have the government as the only payer in health care, all the evidence suggests the government will not pay cost. Therefore, no one will invest in health care anymore. It will lead to less supply. That's a fundamental market force that can't be avoided with poorly-implemented single-payer. "

"If you think about Medicare, which is an incredibly successful program, its success is in part based on the fact that there is private insurance mixed in with Medicare in terms of these supplemental plans, called Medicare Advantage plans. Our healthcare system begs for access, quality, and low-cost. Medicaid for All will create universal access, zero cost for the basic package and lower costs for supplemental insurance, and will not sacrifice the quality of our system because private insurance will still exist."

"What Levi's plan does is lower reimbursement rates for all hospitals, which will inevitably worsen healthcare outcomes, while Jillian will differentiate between costs at public and private hospitals, essentially burdening the public system with sky-high finances to care for the poor. That's not good policy. I think my plan is the smart way of reaching free, universal healthcare without decreasing innovation and quality of care."

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:39 am

HIDDEN EMAIL CONNECTION - THROUGH ONION-ROUTER STYLE VPN

To: Senator Jillian Dayton

I think we've just found a way to bury Westra. We hammer in both his opposition to NATO and women's rights, make him crater and tank. We put down a million combined. Get a good hashtag in, and then rip him apart in the debates. I've switched my position towards college-educated urban voters, the sort of people Westra is liked amongst, so I hope that'll help.

I'll speak with EMILY's List and other pro-choice PACs, get them to dump in money against Westra. Let's hope we can bury Westra once and for all.

Signed,
Senator of Connecticut
Please Watch

The Democratic Marxists
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic Marxists » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:54 am

Puertollano wrote:
The Democratic Marxists wrote:
Abby had noticed Tim's recent hires, along with his frequent overtures to the more moderate Sharansky to campaign for him while keeping her endorsement on the sidelines. That, coupled with his recent phone call, all fell into a pattern of a shift in tone to the centrist wing of the party.

She knew which way she was leaning. But, she had a reelection to deal with. Levi might be the polling leader, but this was a heavily splintered field and this said nothing of his potential to boost her polling numbers. Who knew, he might drag her down.

"Senator, I'm leaning towards making an explicit endorsement of solely your campaign. Perhaps I can do it through the PAC. This field needs to start narrowing down to one progressive and there's zero doubt in my mind that you are that person. I appreciate the help, I just need to think on a lot of things."

"I understand, and thank you. We need to pull out all stops to win your primary. Would you appreciate me visiting to campaign for you, or is that something you wouldn't prefer?"

Levi scratched his head before adding. "Massachusetts is still an important state in Super Tuesday, and while I barnstorm there I can also promote you. Perhaps I could throw in a bit of money from my campaign into your PAC."

Abby leaned back and thought for a moment. Massachusetts was a state were college-educated voters were perhaps the most important bloc, and Levi's popularity with that group would probably pay dividends. Lynskey was not running to her right, he was trying very hard to be a progressive. Having a progressive leader on her side would help her.

Westra was also facing hell for his recent gaffes on foreign policy and abortion. Levi Murphy would probably boost her in Massachusetts.

"Heck, you know what, you're right. I don't need to be on the fence about it. We're democratic socialists, Tim's a centrist in progressive clothing. I'll release a full-throated endorsement of your campaign on Twitter. And yes, I'd appreciate your support. We can campaign together in Massachusetts, that's a good plan."

Abby Winthrop
@SenWinthrop

Glad to announce my full endorsement of @LeviMurphy, the most progressive candidate in the presidential race. He supports single-payer Medicare for All, against the wishes of the political establishment and insurance companies. He doesn't hire Clifford staffers to lead his campaign. And he has the experience of a worker that will be so valuable in the White House.

Abby Winthrop
@SenWinthrop

I'm #TeamLevi.
Last edited by The Democratic Marxists on Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I’m a democratic socialist. Yes, I believe in the radical idea of sharing, as do so many other people. Fight me.

Pro: Socialism, Social Democracy, Peace, Environment, Legal Marijuana, Gun Control, Economic Redistribution, Medicare for All, Living Wage, Tuition-Free College, Feminism, Universal Pre-K, Palestine, Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Jeremy Corbyn, Jacinda Ardern, AMLO, Labour Party, Democratic Socialists of America, Green Party

Moderate: Barack Obama, Tulsi Gabbard

Anti: Casino Capitalism, Ruthless Billionaires, Abortion, Racism, War, The Wall, Israel, ISIL, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, Hillary Clinton, Theresa May, Donald Trump, Republican Party, Democratic Party

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:57 am

John Nathan Lynskey
@JNLynskeyMA

Et tu, Brute?
Neoliberal

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse