NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: An American Political Roleplay (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarenium » Thu May 28, 2020 8:54 pm

Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Katrina Paulson-Thomas
@LadyLiberty

@TheAgg

(Image)

Remember the media’s blackout of (not-Ron Paul) in 2012 and (not-Rand Paul) in 2016?

It’s happening again.

For some reason, the media really likes to “mess up” in ways that leave pro-liberty candidates off the board.

But this year, they WILL NOT SILENCE US! The people are waking up to your dirty tricks! #PaulsonMediaBlackout #Diane2020

Antony Grey
@AntonyAtTheAgg

Graphical mistake, apologies, the article to which that graphic was attached was the substantive material.

Written material > pretty pictures!
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Thu May 28, 2020 8:56 pm

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
New Cobastheia wrote:"Well, I'm sure you can tell just by looking at him, but my husband is, declining. He's declining much faster, at least in my opinion, than the doctor's predicted," There was clearly pain in Eliza's voice as the last sentence came out of her mouth, "In all honesty, I should probably get another doctor in here sooner rather and later to get another opinion, but that's beyond the point. Regardless, given his role as Commander-in-Chief and your role as his most important advisor in that respect, I need you to know that you need to be careful. My Husband's my Husband and given that tumors aren't exactly known for making people more rational, one wrong move and you could get fired a few hours before something goes so wrong the world will never recover." She paused for a moment, letting the Secretary take it in if need be.

"I also need to ask you something."

Indeed, it took Berentsen some time to soak it in. Of course, he knew the President was sick. He'd had long conversations with his wife, Dr. Rosaline Berentsen, about the wider implications of the President's illness. How it could affect his mental state. And he'd also considered talking to the Attorney General or the White House Counsel about his constitutional obligation to carry out the President's orders. It all left him in a very awkward place.

"Go on...?"

"I need to ask, at what point would you know you'd have to vote for the Vice President to become Acting President under the 25th amendment?" She said it very matter of factly, although there was still a clear pain coming from Eliza's voice.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu May 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Bruke wrote:"Go on."

"I've got my eyes on the Speakership, Karel."

Karel let out a low whistle. "That's a hell of a promotion. The only question is how soon you want the job."

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu May 28, 2020 8:58 pm

Jillian Dayton
@JillianDayton
Senator Windsor represented the best among our Senate Caucus and I hope she enjoys her well-earned retirement, her shoes will be difficult to fill!
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu May 28, 2020 8:59 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"I need to ask, at what point would you know you'd have to vote for the Vice President to become Acting President under the 25th amendment?" She said it very matter of factly, although there was still a clear pain coming from Eliza's voice.

"If it became apparent to me, Madam First Lady, that the President did not coherently understand key facts of what I was briefing him on, and thus not giving - or not being capable of giving - coherent orders to the Armed Services... That is when I would sign the letter required under Section 4 of the 25th Amendment. It places me in a very difficult position, because..." He rubbed the back of his neck. "If the President gives me an order, I would feel constitutionally compelled to carry out that order. Unless the Vice President moves to remove the President from power, I do not feel it would be my prerogative to veto the will of the Commander-in-Chief, even if his capacity was suspect."
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu May 28, 2020 9:00 pm

Jillian Dayton
@JillianDayton
All persons named by the Attorney-General should withdraw from their committee assignments at once and reconsider their suitability to high office, corruption has no place in the United States Congress.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu May 28, 2020 9:01 pm

Bruke wrote:Karel let out a low whistle. "That's a hell of a promotion. The only question is how soon you want the job."

"As soon as practicable. I'm not going to try to coup Malcolm but I think I could very well succeed him. Both the House Majority Leader and the House Majority Whip are in their eighties, Karel, I'm the next highest House Democrat and I'm only 68."
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Thu May 28, 2020 9:01 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"Well if that's the case, Levi would definitely need a promise from the Governor saying he would have say over who gets appointed as his replacement, although I wouldn't mind a Senator [Not-Peggy Flanagan]. And even then, I'm not sure how quickly he would resign given the race is still more than a year away."

"There's a difference between having a say and dictating terms. I said to him he should sit down with the DNC and talk this out, he wasn't having it. But yes, this is certainly something that can be... discussed. I don't know how to nudge him in the right direction but I'm thinking maybe you might."

"I think I might too, and if nothing else I'm sure I could act as a mediator if some kind of conversation between the DNC and Levi does manage to happen."

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu May 28, 2020 9:01 pm

The Fair Republic wrote:

Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C.
June 28th, 2019

(Image)

Sean got off the elevator started walking to the end of the hallway, where Senator Sullivan's office is located. "I never imagined Charlotte to willingly step down and retire, it is going to be strange without her in Congress." It was the end of an era in Rhode Island politics. Charlotte was the Queen of Rhode Island every moment during Sean's career. She was Governor when Sean was first elected to the Statehouse. She was Senator when he was first elected to Congress. She was the one who stopped by his office almost twenty years ago, holding binders filled with polls and campaign strategy and convinced him to run for Senate. While he was pleased that Francine chose to become a temporary Minority Leader, he was concerned about caucus unity. Charlotte was a Democratic icon with undisputed progressive and liberal credentials; Francine's moderate stances sometimes angered the left of the party. If Sullivan was going to succeed as Minority Leader, she needed a skilled vote counter as her deputy. He stopped by Sullivan's office and knocked on the door.

The door swung open, with a number of staffers moving around the room. Francine was at the center of the room, speaking to her chief of staff, when she looked up to see the Senator. She handed a few papers to a male staffer on her left, telling him a brief comment before handing him her reading glasses. Sullivan returned her gaze to Sean.

"Hello friend, you're a sight for sore eyes. Look at all this, chaos to get some things in order. Not only was it reelection season but suddenly I have to lead a whole caucus now." she said, gestured around the office.

"Come, come, to the conference room." added Frankie, leading him to other room that was neatly organized and with an empty table, "Sit down Sean."
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu May 28, 2020 9:03 pm

Bruke wrote:Karel let out a low whistle. "That's a hell of a promotion. The only question is how soon you want the job."

"As soon as practicable. I'm not going to try to coup Malcolm but I think I could very well succeed him. Both the House Majority Leader and the House Majority Whip are in their eighties, Karel, I'm the next highest House Democrat and I'm only 68."

"Sounds like a plan, then. When you go for the job, of course, you'll have my full support."

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu May 28, 2020 9:04 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"I think I might too, and if nothing else I'm sure I could act as a mediator if some kind of conversation between the DNC and Levi does manage to happen."

"If there's a bloody fight over the seat, we will lose that seat, I'm sure of it." She shook her head. "But if we can find a way forward from this without the need for a fight, or Murphy just inserting his personal choice into the seat, then everyone can hopefully be happy." Having finished the apple beignet, Caroline opted for a simple glazed ring donut. "Senate's a bloody mess again."
Neoliberal

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu May 28, 2020 9:05 pm

Bruke wrote:"Sounds like a plan, then. When you go for the job, of course, you'll have my full support."

"That means a lot, thank you. I'd be the first Speaker from New York for 150 years. 175, if you don't count Pomeroy - he was only Speaker for a day." She chuckled. "Second woman, second Italian-American."
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu May 28, 2020 9:06 pm

Sarenium wrote:
Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Katrina Paulson-Thomas
@LadyLiberty

@TheAgg

(Image)

Remember the media’s blackout of (not-Ron Paul) in 2012 and (not-Rand Paul) in 2016?

It’s happening again.

For some reason, the media really likes to “mess up” in ways that leave pro-liberty candidates off the board.

But this year, they WILL NOT SILENCE US! The people are waking up to your dirty tricks! #PaulsonMediaBlackout #Diane2020

Antony Grey
@AntonyAtTheAgg

Graphical mistake, apologies, the article to which that graphic was attached was the substantive material.

Written material > pretty pictures!

Katrina Paulson-Thomas
@LadyLiberty

Thanks for the correction! @TheAgg, I’ll delete my original post.
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu May 28, 2020 9:09 pm

Bruke wrote:"Sounds like a plan, then. When you go for the job, of course, you'll have my full support."

"That means a lot, thank you. I'd be the first Speaker from New York for 150 years. 175, if you don't count Pomeroy - he was only Speaker for a day." She chuckled. "Second woman, second Italian-American."

"You'd do the Empire State proud- prouder than before, actually. And I know folks on Pleasant Avenue that'd be proud as punch, as well. Not to mention the politically minded young women of America."

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu May 28, 2020 9:10 pm

Bruke wrote:"You'd do the Empire State proud- prouder than before, actually. And I know folks on Pleasant Avenue that'd be proud as punch, as well. Not to mention the politically minded young women of America."

"I like to think that I'm broadly well respected in the House Caucus... but I can't help but be anxious that something could go horribly wrong at a moment's notice."
Neoliberal

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Thu May 28, 2020 9:12 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"I need to ask, at what point would you know you'd have to vote for the Vice President to become Acting President under the 25th amendment?" She said it very matter of factly, although there was still a clear pain coming from Eliza's voice.

"If it became apparent to me, Madam First Lady, that the President did not coherently understand key facts of what I was briefing him on, and thus not giving - or not being capable of giving - coherent orders to the Armed Services... That is when I would sign the letter required under Section 4 of the 25th Amendment. It places me in a very difficult position, because..." He rubbed the back of his neck. "If the President gives me an order, I would feel constitutionally compelled to carry out that order. Unless the Vice President moves to remove the President from power, I do not feel it would be my prerogative to veto the will of the Commander-in-Chief, even if his capacity was suspect."

"Mhm.." Eliza hummed along, wanted to ask if that included nuclear launch orders, but not completely sure if that would cross a line or anything like that. "I figured as much from your confirmation hearing, although it is nice you'd say so in such a plain fashion." Eliza wasn't completely sure what to ask next, feeling just slightly anxious if nothing else, although not showing it.

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Thu May 28, 2020 9:14 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"I think I might too, and if nothing else I'm sure I could act as a mediator if some kind of conversation between the DNC and Levi does manage to happen."

"If there's a bloody fight over the seat, we will lose that seat, I'm sure of it." She shook her head. "But if we can find a way forward from this without the need for a fight, or Murphy just inserting his personal choice into the seat, then everyone can hopefully be happy." Having finished the apple beignet, Caroline opted for a simple glazed ring donut. "Senate's a bloody mess again."

"I was about to ask you about that." Started Kathleen as she reached for what looked like a rather fancy Boston Cream, "What do you think of it all, not to mention, any idea if Illinois and Ohio do special elections or just appointments?"

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu May 28, 2020 9:15 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"Mhm.." Eliza hummed along, wanted to ask if that included nuclear launch orders, but not completely sure if that would cross a line or anything like that. "I figured as much from your confirmation hearing, although it is nice you'd say so in such a plain fashion." Eliza wasn't completely sure what to ask next, feeling just slightly anxious if nothing else, although not showing it.

"I am... habitually blunt, Madam First Lady, it is not always an endearing trait. Nevertheless, I thought I should be clear in case... these are conversations that you have been having with other officials."
Neoliberal

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu May 28, 2020 9:16 pm

Bruke wrote:"You'd do the Empire State proud- prouder than before, actually. And I know folks on Pleasant Avenue that'd be proud as punch, as well. Not to mention the politically minded young women of America."

"I like to think that I'm broadly well respected in the House Caucus... but I can't help but be anxious that something could go horribly wrong at a moment's notice."

"Anxiety, dear Carrie, is natural when one seeks a position of power to which one can feasibly aspire to. Only fools are not anxious when seeking a role of responsibility. You're done your time on the lower rungs of the pecking order and since you're head of the Caucus already, you'll be more than qualified when Douglas steps down."

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 pm

Deco Coffee Co.
Miami, Florida
June 27th, 2019

"Yes, to go from zero to one hundred real quick." he answered.

Marty chuckled, before adding, "Time to kick my campaign into high gear."
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"I was about to ask you about that." Started Kathleen as she reached for what looked like a rather fancy Boston Cream, "What do you think of it all, not to mention, any idea if Illinois and Ohio do special elections or just appointments?"

"Illinois and Ohio are both appointment states, composition of the Senate won't change and we won't have any elections to fight. Frankly, it hurts us more than them. Everyone knows the GOP is corrupt but they expect better of us." She sighed, shrugging her shoulders. "Honestly, I'm less worried by the loss of a Senator and more by the fact we're about to have a new tug-of-war over the leadership."
Neoliberal

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu May 28, 2020 9:18 pm

Bruke wrote:"Anxiety, dear Carrie, is natural when one seeks a position of power to which one can feasibly aspire to. Only fools are not anxious when seeking a role of responsibility. You're done your time on the lower rungs of the pecking order and since you're head of the Caucus already, you'll be more than qualified when Douglas steps down."

"I know very well that the trust I have from the progressives is loaned, not freely given. I will need to pay them back to keep them on side. I've been warned that both the Black Caucus and the Hispanic Caucus feel like they've not had their fair shake of the stick either..."
Neoliberal

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu May 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Bruke wrote:"Anxiety, dear Carrie, is natural when one seeks a position of power to which one can feasibly aspire to. Only fools are not anxious when seeking a role of responsibility. You're done your time on the lower rungs of the pecking order and since you're head of the Caucus already, you'll be more than qualified when Douglas steps down."

"I know very well that the trust I have from the progressives is loaned, not freely given. I will need to pay them back to keep them on side. I've been warned that both the Black Caucus and the Hispanic Caucus feel like they've not had their fair shake of the stick either..."

"It would be good to keep that in mind when considering who to put on key committees or promote for leadership. Positions are always tangible rewards for loyalty."

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu May 28, 2020 9:23 pm

Stump for Dalton
Cincinnati, Kentucky
July 2, 2019

That afternoon, Jillian Dayton paid attention to the suburbs of Cincinnati. She paid specific attention to the planned events, in the case of Michelle Dalton, the importance of defeating her opponent couldn't be understated. Propelling Michelle to the Governor's Mansion would take turnout in suburbs favoring Dalton and reiterating the anti-Republican sentiment in the suburbs that was needed to flip states like Kentucky in any way shape or form. She arrived at a cafe, dressed in jeans and a bright blue button-up. She wore her generic sneakers, and walked on in for what would be an evening coffee event. Suburban voters did not attend events to the same tune as the dedicated bases of either party in 2016, they would be targeted through a door-knock effort, instead Jillian opted for a more low-key roam through the coffee shop, "hi, my name's Jillian, I'm campaigning for Michelle Dalton," she normally introduced herself. The just-past-lunch scene kept the presence of schoolkids to a minimum.

She followed up with questions that got the voters to talk about their problems, she kept mentions of her candidacy for President to zilch, the entirety of every conversation had was mostly about healthcare in which Dayton could easily point out how the only candidate in the race that would expand medicaid and access to healthcare was Michelle Dalton. Questions about teachers or schools also headed in the direction of, "Michelle Dalton is the only candidate who will give teachers a raise."

Eventually she hopped out of the cafe and headed out into the outlying homes, letterboxing for the Dalton campaign. Her social media pages pumped out content, graphics informing it's following that Jillian was in Kentucky for the day. Following doorknocking and what she hoped would prove to be productive and jovial conversation, that evening she attended a 'Drinks for Dalton' event where she would make some remarks after drinking two glasses of Kentucky Ale.

"Thank you folks for coming out tonight! Look I've had a joy, my liver hasn't but I sure as heck have," she smiled, appreciative of the laughs, "now, have a drink if you appreciate teachers," she drank and appreciated the vast majority who also drink, "then drink again if you think teachers deserve a fair day's pay," she said firmly, "for a fair day's work!"

The crowd (and Jillian) drank again.

"Then there's only one candidate in this year's Governor's race for you, Michelle Dalton who, if she was to become Governor, would without hesitation expand medicaid and pay teachers a fair wage!"

Dayton Campaign,
Nevada
June 29, 2019

Back across country, the next stop for the campaign would be Nevada where she went door-knocking and held similar coffees and drinks events. She wrapped up with a Thursday evening 'rally' in Reno and a Friday evening rally in Las Vegas followed by a fundraising-oriented barnstorm. Attendance here was less to win and more to makeup for poor polls in the state, she would be in South Carolina for a more wholehearted and devoted campaign effort before tracking back up to New Hampshire.

I know, I know this isn't the most ideal way to spend your Friday evening is it? Nonetheless you're all here! You're here, and that's what matters. We're almost at the end of this quarter and I know many of you aren't decided just yet, but this campaign thrives off of your support. We're not bought and owned by friends of Senator Sharansky or Senator Hawthorne, nor are we representatives of the corporations of Wall Street. We're Americans, we're families, students, workers and above all else, VOTERS! I hate asking for money, if you don't believe me ask my mother.

It's an unfortunate reality of American elections and American politics that money drives political campaigns, and so I am, reluctantly asking for your support. This campaign relies on the support of ordinary Americans like everyone in this room tonight, we can't progress forth without it.

Folks, I am nothing but excited for what we can achieve on the day we reach the White House, medicare-for-all-who-want-it, affordable college, a just transition from pollution-heavy jobs, a fairer political system, balanced trade deals and fixing our broken immigration system. We can't do it alone. We can however, do it together.

Thank you Vegas! Normally they say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas but just in case you're an interstate voter, make this the one exception to that rule.

Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu May 28, 2020 9:23 pm

Bruke wrote:"It would be good to keep that in mind when considering who to put on key committees or promote for leadership. Positions are always tangible rewards for loyalty."

"I'm well aware. I had some trouble from Lowell in charge of Appropriations not too long ago and I felt like pulling strings on the matter but she apologized for the mix-up so hopefully I shan't have any more fuss on that front." She frowned. "I think I'm particularly popular with the freshmen but that does me little good if we lose it all next year."
Neoliberal

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse