NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: An American Political Roleplay (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:58 am

Nikaton wrote:“ are you referring to the IDEA reauthorization? The law and its regs are mostly good I want to keep 95% of it and just merely make the counsel amendment to ensure that it’s more effective for lower income children and families, everything else stays in place. But workability and passibility of a Bill is essential, I want to be pragmatic, so I’ll work with you on putting a bill together”

"No, no, the IDEA reauthorization is fine, it was the teaching bill that you submitted to me via email. Politically, I'd have concerns about looking at the defense budget as a cash cow, and I don't know whether it'll pass the Senate if you're funding it exclusively by removing money from the defense budget, whilst structurally, I'm not sure it's very clear and structured in outlining what preconditions would be necessary to qualify for the disbursement of such funds. Don't get me wrong, I'm for improving teachers' pay, but we need to demonstrate that our spending is responsible - that means making sure the preconditions seem appropriate - and we also need to spend our legislative time on measures that we believe have a prospect of passing the Senate."
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Nikaton
Secretary

Founded: Dec 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nikaton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:11 am

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
Nikaton wrote:“ are you referring to the IDEA reauthorization? The law and its regs are mostly good I want to keep 95% of it and just merely make the counsel amendment to ensure that it’s more effective for lower income children and families, everything else stays in place. But workability and passibility of a Bill is essential, I want to be pragmatic, so I’ll work with you on putting a bill together”

"No, no, the IDEA reauthorization is fine, it was the teaching bill that you submitted to me via email. Politically, I'd have concerns about looking at the defense budget as a cash cow, and I don't know whether it'll pass the Senate if you're funding it exclusively by removing money from the defense budget, whilst structurally, I'm not sure it's very clear and structured in outlining what preconditions would be necessary to qualify for the disbursement of such funds. Don't get me wrong, I'm for improving teachers' pay, but we need to demonstrate that our spending is responsible - that means making sure the preconditions seem appropriate - and we also need to spend our legislative time on measures that we believe have a prospect of passing the Senate."

“Got it. Fair enough, I realize military spending is a hot issue; it’s something I’m passionate about reducing but I understand it can kill cross bench support. What alternatives do you propose for the necessary funds? I’m happy to go through possible preconditions and the like but I get the sense you may have doubts of whether a well structured bill of this type will even pass senate?”

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:17 am

Nikaton wrote:“Got it. Fair enough, I realize military spending is a hot issue; it’s something I’m passionate about reducing but I understand it can kill cross bench support. What alternatives do you propose for the necessary funds? I’m happy to go through possible preconditions and the like but I get the sense you may have doubts of whether a well structured bill of this type will even pass senate?”

"If it's a bill that I can sell to Volker, then he might be able to swing a few Republicans in the Senate and give the bill legs. I don't think a bill to improve teaching subsidies will be completely out of the question, Brett. I definitely think it can be done." She gave a gentle smile, nodding a little. "I can't say I share your commitment to reduce defense spending, admittedly. I'm considered one of the... most inflexible members of the caucus regarding national security issues, but that's a matter for another time. Draft up some options, and we can run through those options and I can see what direction we can take this, maybe get Volker on the horn and see what he'd be open to." Drumming her fingers on the desk a little more, she perked an eyebrow. "Any of the presidentials get their teeth into you yet?"
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Nikaton
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nikaton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:21 am

Nikaton wrote:“Got it. Fair enough, I realize military spending is a hot issue; it’s something I’m passionate about reducing but I understand it can kill cross bench support. What alternatives do you propose for the necessary funds? I’m happy to go through possible preconditions and the like but I get the sense you may have doubts of whether a well structured bill of this type will even pass senate?”

"If it's a bill that I can sell to Volker, then he might be able to swing a few Republicans in the Senate and give the bill legs. I don't think a bill to improve teaching subsidies will be completely out of the question, Brett. I definitely think it can be done." She gave a gentle smile, nodding a little. "I can't say I share your commitment to reduce defense spending, admittedly. I'm considered one of the... most inflexible members of the caucus regarding national security issues, but that's a matter for another time. Draft up some options, and we can run through those options and I can see what direction we can take this, maybe get Volker on the horn and see what he'd be open to." Drumming her fingers on the desk a little more, she perked an eyebrow. "Any of the presidentials get their teeth into you yet?"

“Wonderful, I’ll get right on it. Ah well Im aware we can’t all get agree on everything, as long as we can get somethings done. I’ll look into other options.

And yes now you mention it, just left Levi giving me his initial spiel. Probably expect more in the coming months. You have any thoughts yourself on our field?”

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:29 am

Nikaton wrote:“Wonderful, I’ll get right on it. Ah well Im aware we can’t all get agree on everything, as long as we can get somethings done. I’ll look into other options.

And yes now you mention it, just left Levi giving me his initial spiel. Probably expect more in the coming months. You have any thoughts yourself on our field?”

"Officially, as I'm running for a position in the House leadership, I'm now neutral and shouldn't comment all too often on such affairs. It's not my place to decide who we should or shouldn't run for President." She winced slightly, before continuing. "Off the record, Brett, Levi Murphy would be a very, very bad idea. His grasp on his constitutional constraints are poor, his foreign policy positions are dangerously faulty, and there are real dangers about running a candidate too far to the left and sacrificing the breathing space we are given by the Republicans being so far right. Your state is in reach of our presidential polling, so long as we run the right candidate. Unfortunately, I can't say the field gives me a lot of hope right now. We've got a bunch of ideologically charged progressives, Davenport - who is progressive but not aggressive - isn't making much of a breakthrough, and the two moderates in the field are weak. Little's reparations bill could cost us regaining Pennsylvania and other Rust Belt states, whilst Goldman... Jesus, did you see Goldman's interview?"
Neoliberal

Nikaton
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nikaton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:48 am

Nikaton wrote:“Wonderful, I’ll get right on it. Ah well Im aware we can’t all get agree on everything, as long as we can get somethings done. I’ll look into other options.

"Officially, as I'm running for a position in the House leadership, I'm now neutral and shouldn't comment all too often on such affairs. It's not my place to decide who we should or shouldn't run for President." She winced slightly, before continuing. "Off the record, Brett, Levi Murphy would be a very, very bad idea. His grasp on his constitutional constraints are poor, his foreign policy positions are dangerously faulty, and there are real dangers about running a candidate too far to the left and sacrificing the breathing space we are given by the Republicans being so far right. Your state is in reach of our presidential polling, so long as we run the right candidate. Unfortunately, I can't say the field gives me a lot of hope right now. We've got a bunch of ideologically charged progressives, Davenport - who is progressive but not aggressive - isn't making much of a breakthrough, and the two moderates in the field are weak. Little's reparations bill could cost us regaining Pennsylvania and other Rust Belt states, whilst Goldman... Jesus, did you see Goldman's interview?"

Brett winced a bit “that bad huh.” he grew quiet and thoughtful for a moment. “ well I’m nowhere near endorsing any one in particular, I’m concerned don’t get me wrong about the election. Westra seems like the favorite atm but it’s early and yeah I’m not sure what the heck Goldman is doing. Do you personally have anyone you’d like to put forward or hope would put forward a run?”

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:55 am

Nikaton wrote:Brett winced a bit “that bad huh.” he grew quiet and thoughtful for a moment. “ well I’m nowhere near endorsing any one in particular, I’m concerned don’t get me wrong about the election. Westra seems like the favorite atm but it’s early and yeah I’m not sure what the heck Goldman is doing. Do you personally have anyone you’d like to put forward or hope would put forward a run?”

"We've got plenty of time, it's only March of 2019, Brett. Don't let anyone pressure you into coming out for them early. But personally, I had been hoping for Secretary Whitaker, though she seems to have retreated from the public eye as of late. Otherwise... if Governor Veléz of Florida runs, I could have a good feeling about him."
Neoliberal

Nikaton
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nikaton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:13 am

Nikaton wrote:Brett winced a bit “that bad huh.” he grew quiet and thoughtful for a moment. “ well I’m nowhere near endorsing any one in particular, I’m concerned don’t get me wrong about the election. Westra seems like the favorite atm but it’s early and yeah I’m not sure what the heck Goldman is doing. Do you personally have anyone you’d like to put forward or hope would put forward a run?”

"We've got plenty of time, it's only March of 2019, Brett. Don't let anyone pressure you into coming out for them early. But personally, I had been hoping for Secretary Whitaker, though she seems to have retreated from the public eye as of late. Otherwise... if Governor Veléz of Florida runs, I could have a good feeling about him."

“ true true. Hmm I don’t know much about Governor Velez but Florida is a key state and I can’t imagine him being a radical progressive in a state like that. Is there anything else you want to discuss at this time, or should I get back to work on the bill and send you my second draft when I have more?”

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:17 am

Nikaton wrote:“ true true. Hmm I don’t know much about Governor Velez but Florida is a key state and I can’t imagine him being a radical progressive in a state like that. Is there anything else you want to discuss at this time, or should I get back to work on the bill and send you my second draft when I have more?”

"Well, when it comes down to the vote for House Caucus Chair, I would like your support when that comes around. I have good relationships with both House progressives and moderates, I've got good relationships with some members of the Senate, and I can communicate well with the Republican leadership. I like to think that I am in a particularly good position from which to promote and develop Democratic legislation, hopefully. Either way though, I don't need to detain you for anything further, and I hope you do well in bringing your teaching bill to its next draft. If I might recommend any progressive colleagues to team up with, both Representative Davenport and Representative Nez are good friends. Representative Atang is my friend in the New York delegation, he's sort of half and half progressive and moderate, and from the moderates, I've found Representative Nuñez to be very reasonable. Take the time to make friends, Brett. Trust me."
Neoliberal

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:41 am

Nathaniel Richardson
Powhatan, Powhatan County, Virginia
March 30th, 2019

The Richardson campaign was targeting Virginia for a number of reasons. Firstly proximity, Virginia was just north of his home state where he had been well known for almost 2 decades with many people going back and forth between the states on a regular basis, he would be well know to a higher percentage of Virginia voters than most other states. Secondly timing, Virginia’s primary was held on super Tuesday making it valuable in the delegate and momentum race. Thirdly culture, it was a southern state on the Atlantic coast with a great deal of long held ties to North Carolina, what appealed to voters in North Carolina would likely have similar appeal in Virginia. Fourthly ideology, Virginia was full of moderate Republicans who know what its like to live in a swing state and what it takes to win the center. Finally electability, Virginia had seen first hand the effect that Wolf had on down ballot races, first and 2017 and like in 2019 if polls held up, Richardson being a non-polarizing and non controversial figure who had won twice in a swing state made him appealing to the electability minded Republicans in Virginia looking to come back into power.

Powhatan specifically was a heavily suburban/rural and upper class. It lacked major cities or towns but was a consistent sprawl of large homes.

He began by visiting the Courthouse Village, a small town retirement village for 55 and older residents. Full of older voters who turned out and were much more republican demographically than the rest of the state. He went door to door around the community introducing himself to the elderly voters and asking for their support. He showed empathy, compassion and understanding while answering questions and taking their contact information.

After visiting the retirement community he arrived at the Powhatan Historical Society headquarters and took a tour of the small museum and surrounding area. He showed respect for the community, took pictures and asked thoughtful questions about the history of the area. He didn’t spend much time with the society as they were a small group, but the pictures taken with cultural artifacts of the county would be great in future marketing.

Nate continued his retail at Hertzler Farm & Feed Inc where he spoke with dozens of farmhands and farm owners about the struggles of farms and rural america. Once again a good photo op of him in jeans talking with salt of the earth people in a rural and rugged setting, vital visuals for the election.

In the afternoon he made his way to Fine Creek Brewery, a small farm brewery and taproom that offered small plates and local foods. He held a small event there with supporters giving a short speech and then began shaking hands and sampling the brew made there, getting a great photo-op in a rustic setting having a beer. He even got to tap a keg before leaving.

In the evening between when people got back from work and when they sat down for dinner, Nate knocked on as many doors as possible in 2 hours with his supporters covering even more ground. He made personal connections, took pictures, asking and answering questions of the resident. But once again, before anything else, he was kind, personable and made everyone feel heard and seen.
Last edited by Dentali on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Goldman for Connecticut Senate Fundraiser, New Haven, Connecticut

Goldman held a fundraiser, in a rather fancy venue nearby, serving all sorts of food and drink, not only to raise money for her Senate and Presidential runs, but also to mix and mingle with certain people.

The night was an interesting one, as she shared champagne with many people, from the Mayor of New York to the Governor of Connecticut. This wasn't to say they endorsed her - some of them merely came to raise money for their own campaigns or just enjoy the party.

The party was one that involved all sorts of fun, from jazz music and dancing to a magician and his tricks. It raised money for Goldman's campaign, whilst helping her connect with important people.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Governor Jonah Prendergast Jr.
Thursday 28th March
Pennsylvania

Visiting Pennsylvania had long been a priority on Prendergast’s list, and he had honestly hoped to get around to it sooner. Not only was it a high population state whose delegate count he sorely needed, but it was one of the most important. He had paid particular attention to the town hall here a couple of months ago by Congresswoman Davenport. Centered on Cambria County, in Johnstown, despite being a Democratic city in a Republican county, it was the kind of industrial heartland that he had his eye on specifically.

Before engaging in the typical town hall-style events that his campaign seemed to be predominantly based around (at least until he could get the kind of lift in the polls that’d make regular rallies easy), he visited the Höganäs High Alloys plant on the fringes of Johnstown, meeting metallurgical workers whose livelihoods were directly impacted by America’s industrialization. If industry was to be allowed to be an acceptable casualty of the Democratic green push, their lives would be torn apart. As ever, Jonah approached as the warm, comfortable, approachable gentleman, the fond grandfatherly type who was there to listen, to support, to nurture. Listening to how their work functions, showing a genuine interest, learning more about the various applications for the metal powders that the plant produces.

In the early evening, he would go on to hold another town-hall like event. Once again set in the not-very-glamorous walls of a Holiday Inn in downtown Johnstown, the stage was set, people were invited in, and before questions were taken, he’d give another speech.

"Good evening, Johnstown! I understand I'm not the first presidential candidate to come speak to you. That prestige goes to Representative Davenport from California. All good luck to her, by all means, but I don't think Pennsylvania is necessarily ready to trust the Democrats again. I know many of you around here still rely on work in heavy industry, especially with regards to defence contractors. I can understand and appreciate your fears that those jobs could be in danger.

Under President Baharia, unemployment in this state crested at at five hundred and sixty thousand. That's the most drastic unemployment rate in any of the states I've visited so far. It's reassuring to know that number has been halved under President Wolf, but understandably, the notion of a quarter of a million unemployed persons still not knowing the dignity and security of work sits uncomfortably with us.

Pennsylvania is part of America's industrial heartland, where this nation was forged as a superpower, as a competitor against the old European empires. American greatness was born in cities like Johnstown, and I'm not willing to see that star fade. American greatness has been reaffirmed, and we've got to make sure that Greater America reaches each and every one of you.

I'm here to listen to your concerns and answer your questions. I'm here to talk. You don't need to word what you have to say as a question. Just speak your truth, give me your story. I will take your words with me to Washington. I will make Congress listen to them. It is, frankly, the least I, or any presidential candidate, can do."

The town hall event would carry on for about an hour and a half, or until all questions were answered, before the Governor would be shuttled across the state to his last event that day. Late in the evening, another fundraiser, this time in metropolitan Philadelphia. Backhanded promises to maintain net deregulation for Comcast, chatting up officials from companies like Endo Pharmaceuticals to continue to drag progress on drug pricing, maintaining a loose F.D.A. for the Campbell Soup Company, it was easy to endear oneself to businessfolk of this caliber if you spoke their language, which Jonah definitely did. He hoped both he and his various PACs could pocket well from that encounter.
Neoliberal

Puertollano
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:53 pm

Nikaton wrote:
Puertollano wrote:
"Yeah sure," the Senator says. He whips out his phone and opens the web-page for his Green New Deal. "Please take a look," he said, passing his phone over. "Tell me anything I should add or fix off the bat." Levi pauses for a moment. "Have you considered endorsing anyone in the primary?"

Off the bat? Its ambitious but its good, ambition is what we need with fixing climate, certainly not blind denial. I've begun considering it but I'm not ready to make a decision at this time. Perhaps if we worked together on some more legislation I could come to a decision

"That's a good idea - I can see us working on a lot of different legislation, what do you see in particular?"
Senator Levi Murphy (D-MN)
Chairwoman Lilyana Wolf (R-ME)
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)
Mayor Tammy Tablot (I-NV)

Von Markstein
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Von Markstein » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:01 pm

5:30 pm April 3
Cathedral of the Epiphany
Sioux City, Iowa

After a small stop over to plan and go over the Council Bluffs appearance, Governor Chambers arrived in Sioux City. He knew the city well as he still had family on his father's side in the area, though they were all quite old and soon to pass on to a better place. Jack stopped by a few of their places of work saying hello and mingling with people present. It was a nice experience, with less pressure being around relatives in a friendly and conservative atmosphere.

After that was done Jack and a couple relatives went to the local Cathedral to attend mass where Jack had garnered the bishop's permission to speak with the parishioners after the mass had ended (which in no way was a campaign endorsement from the bishop). The Lenten mass focused on obligations for penance and striving to be closer to God. The bishop spoke about keeping strength in fasting and keeping Lenten promises to the crowd during homily with a fairly on point gospel verse. After the Eucharist had been given, the Bishop gave a number of parish and diocese announcements and then brought up Jack's presence;

As a final note, we have a special guest today, Jack Chambers here has traveled from Lincoln to speak with you all regarding our faith and how it can be used and applied through government to serve humanity. He will hold his talk in the hall for those who wish to stay and hear it

Jack was mildly disappointed the Bishop didn't outright say that Jack was running for president but decided to let it fly. After the Bishop finished speaking, Jack and his family funneled into the hall where he prepared to speak. A group of parishioners had followed;

Good afternoon everyone, my name is Jack Chambers, I've been a devoted Catholic my entire life, and I have had the pleasure to serve as Governor of your neighboring state of Nebraska.

Many in my position would turn their back on faith but I know, as well as you all know, that faith is an important aspect of the human condition. It gives us guidance and hope, and builds communities. All things a government strives to do too. Religion is a part of the American way and its simply not something the government can ignore.

We should all allow our faith to guide us to perform righteous deeds and avoid sins, and our government should do the same. Proverbs like love thy neighbor should inspire our leaders to support international aid and peaceful diplomacy overseas whenever possible.

I've allowed the positive aspects of my faith to guide my hand as governor, ensuring peace in the community, encouraging charity, and protecting all life, even from the moment of conception. And now I've decided after great prayer, that I'm going to run for president. God may be taking away a good man early in President Wolf's resignation, but I want to make sure that even with him gone, our faith can have a place.

In the coming months I want you to consider your faith and how it shapes your life and the decisions you make. Now think about how often the government mandates something of you? taxes obviously for one, which we'l lower considerably, but also who you can serve, what marriage means, or what happens to a fetus, ALL without a say by any one of you. Instead its nine men in D.C. sitting on a court telling you what you can and can't do, what your faith can and can't do. If you elect me as president, I'll make sure that the people get the vote and say in what they choose to be governed by, and never be dictated by nine men on a court.

We live in a democracy, a democracy founded by Christian men, and that should be reflected in law and right, if the people will it. Every one and every state should be free to make the big controversial decisions, because most likely there is never a one sizes fits all solution. That is why we need federalism and state rights to accommodate the differences of the millions of Americans in this great melting pot.

Vote for me and your faith will get a say, your state will get say, and you will get a say!

Jack then lead the group in prayer, shook hands and departed the church.

Jack finished for the night by getting dinner at a local favorite "Tastee in and out" before retiring to his cabin for the night to plan his next moves

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Azekopolaltion » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:31 pm

Senator Tim Westra (D-NJ)
April 3rd, 2019
Washington, D.C.

Tim was back in Washington, just for a day, to attend to some business and hold a very important meeting. Namely, his meeting with Speaker Malcolm Douglas.

Tim knew Malcolm well...a little too well, if you asked him. They had served alongside each other as New Jersey Representatives in the early 2000's. Tim had immediately developed a distaste for Malcolm's affinity for opportunistic, partisan, and cutthroat politics. But they maintained a cordial relationship, often working on legislation together and appearing at local NJ labor union meetings with one another. At the turn of the political tides with President Baharia's win, they both served as Deputy Whips in the party leadership, although Tim felt heavily overshadowed by Malcolm in terms of skill at party politics; he was jealous of Malcolm's quick rise in power, despite Tim exceeding the other politician in terms of experience in Washington. In fact, Tim's perceived lack of political influence in the leadership, separate from his legislative accomplishments, was part of the reason why he turned to the Senate in 2012.

However, despite his personal quibbles with the Speaker, Tim knew Malcolm was good at cutting political deals and getting things done, while advancing the interests of the party. Tim had been one of the chief authors and sponsors of the ACA, but Malcolm had helped to get it through the lower chamber of Congress. There wasn't a more powerful ally on Capitol Hill if a president wanted to get something done. And Malcolm had an excellent reputation for following the winds of the party; Tim wanted to maintain a good rapport with the man to get his progressive agenda some favor in the House. And, for obvious reasons, no one wanted to be on Malcolm's wrong side.

He was visiting the Speaker for another reason. He was competing to lock down the progressive vote while expanding his base, and he felt he could get a wider base of support if he started pitching himself as a progressive with accomplishments. His record was not too shabby in that respect; Tim had written the Affordable Care Act, which he prided as his biggest accomplishment to date. But he wanted to show the public that he could still deal with the party establishment while pushing them to change. He wanted to convince progressives that he would be the right President to get the job done, which could also win regular liberals over. That's why he was here. He didn't want to keep this meeting quiet.

Tim entered the Speaker's office, where he waited to be invited in for his appointment.
Last edited by Azekopolaltion on Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Azekopolaltion wrote:
(Image)
Senator Tim Westra (D-NJ)
April 3rd, 2019
Washington, D.C.

Tim was back in Washington, just for a day, to attend to some business and hold a very important meeting. Namely, his meeting with Speaker Malcolm Douglas.

Tim knew Malcolm well...a little too well, if you asked him. They had served alongside each other as New Jersey Representatives in the early 2000's. Tim had immediately developed a distaste for Malcolm's affinity for opportunistic, partisan, and cutthroat politics. But they maintained a cordial relationship, often working on legislation together and appearing at local NJ labor union meetings with one another. At the turn of the political tides with President Baharia's win, they both served as Deputy Whips in the party leadership, although Tim felt heavily overshadowed by Malcolm in terms of skill at party politics; he was jealous of Malcolm's quick rise in power, despite Tim exceeding the other politician in terms of experience in Washington. In fact, Tim's perceived lack of political influence in the leadership, separate from his legislative accomplishments, was part of the reason why he turned to the Senate in 2012.

However, despite his personal quibbles with the Speaker, Tim knew Malcolm was good at cutting political deals and getting things done, while advancing the interests of the party. Tim had been one of the chief authors and sponsors of the ACA, but Malcolm had helped to get it through the lower chamber of Congress. There wasn't a more powerful ally on Capitol Hill if a president wanted to get something done. And Malcolm had an excellent reputation for following the winds of the party; Tim wanted to maintain a good rapport with the man to get his progressive agenda some favor in the House. And, for obvious reasons, no one wanted to be on Malcolm's wrong side.

He was visiting the Speaker for another reason. He was competing to lock down the progressive vote while expanding his base, and he felt he could get a wider base of support if he started pitching himself as a progressive with accomplishments. His record was not too shabby in that respect; Tim had written the Affordable Care Act, which he prided as his biggest accomplishment to date. But he wanted to show the public that he could still deal with the party establishment while pushing them to change. He wanted to convince progressives that he would be the right President to get the job done, which could also win regular liberals over. That's why he was here. He didn't want to keep this meeting quiet.

Tim entered the Speaker's office, where he waited to be invited in for his appointment.

“Senator!” Malcolm said welcoming Tim into his office and shaking his hand “good to see you back in this ‘lowly chamber’” Douglas said jokingly as he beckoned him to sit across from him. “How are you doing? Campaign going alright?”

Fronket
Envoy

Founded: Nov 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Fronket » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:12 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
Fronket wrote:
Ben shook the Representative's hand firmly, and remarked that it was an organized office. He took a seat before getting down to business.

"Representative, all is well I hope. Doing some important work I see – your vaccine bill is admirable."

Atang smiled.

"Yes, I assume you will vote in favour of it?"

"Absolutely. I will definitely be voting for it." Ben paused.

"That's the kind of good work and legislation we need. Solid, aspirational ideas that can be implemented and are also necessary. Your kind of vision is the exact thing our campaign wants to accomplish. We do need systemic change in our society, the kind of change that is in line with the rhetoric of Baginsky and the progressives, but we need to get it done. Civil rights reform, economic justice - these are my priorities. But I don't think anyone in the field will be able to actually get it done. Levi is too dogmatic and he's an ideologue, no one will want to work with him. Whitaker doesn't understand the political moment; she's stuck with the small Democratic neoconservative movement of the 60's. We need someone who left behind Americans can resonate with, and I don't think a product of socialism or a product of a political dynasty can make our case in the general."

Ben straightened his glasses and continued. "Of course, I think you know civil rights is at the top of my agenda. Only person to fully endorse reparations as a central campaign proposal – we have the Congressional bill, which only Davenport and Westra are backing, tentatively. We can't afford someone who's not willing to go all the way for racial justice."

"Are you thinking about the race, Representative? What are you looking for in a candidate?"

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Postby Azekopolaltion » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:20 pm

Dentali wrote:
“Senator!” Malcolm said welcoming Tim into his office and shaking his hand “good to see you back in this ‘lowly chamber’” Douglas said jokingly as he beckoned him to sit across from him. “How are you doing? Campaign going alright?”

Well he's jovial, Tim thought. Not that he was surprised; Malcolm was good with people.

"Mr. Speaker! I see you're in fine spirits." Tim took a seat across from the leader. "I'm doing well enough, I'm happy with where the campaign is going. I have to admit, despite meeting dozens, if not hundreds of people a day, it's a lonely ordeal. That's actually why I'm here, Malcolm. I'm looking for what I can do to improve the standing of my campaign in the eyes of my colleagues here in 'the swamp' and with the party in general. I understand the point that most Democrats aren't progressive ideologues, after all. That's why I'm trying to speak more about policy than politics, but at some point you have to check in with the folks in charge. What are you thinking about how I'm running this?"
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:46 pm

Azekopolaltion wrote:
Dentali wrote:

Well he's jovial, Tim thought. Not that he was surprised; Malcolm was good with people.

"Mr. Speaker! I see you're in fine spirits." Tim took a seat across from the leader. "I'm doing well enough, I'm happy with where the campaign is going. I have to admit, despite meeting dozens, if not hundreds of people a day, it's a lonely ordeal. That's actually why I'm here, Malcolm. I'm looking for what I can do to improve the standing of my campaign in the eyes of my colleagues here in 'the swamp' and with the party in general. I understand the point that most Democrats aren't progressive ideologues, after all. That's why I'm trying to speak more about policy than politics, but at some point you have to check in with the folks in charge. What are you thinking about how I'm running this?"

Malcolm was deep in thought for a few moments, studying the Senator across from him. Eventually he spoke up "Before we chat about this you do know that I can't take sides here. I'm never going to endorse someone, and my door is open to anyone for advice."

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Postby Azekopolaltion » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:56 pm

Dentali wrote:
Azekopolaltion wrote:

Malcolm was deep in thought for a few moments, studying the Senator across from him. Eventually he spoke up "Before we chat about this you do know that I can't take sides here. I'm never going to endorse someone, and my door is open to anyone for advice."

Tim mentally rolled his eyes. Of course he wasn't seeking the freaking Speaker's endorsement. Why would the Speaker take sides in a competitive presidential primary, or any Democratic primary for that matter? It was moments of condescension like this one that kept Tim feeling antipathy towards Malcolm.

"Of course not. I'm just here for your two cents."
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Azekopolaltion wrote:
Dentali wrote:

Tim mentally rolled his eyes. Of course he wasn't seeking the freaking Speaker's endorsement. Why would the Speaker take sides in a competitive presidential primary, or any Democratic primary for that matter? It was moments of condescension like this one that kept Tim feeling antipathy towards Malcolm.

"Well.." Malcolm said straightening up "Just a necessary disclaimer..." Malcolm explained and exhaled "You're doing well, Medicare public option is a great move... enough for people in the swing districts to accept you and frankly you've raised an impressive amount of money for not having corporate donors..." Malcolm took a few more second to regard the man.

"To be completely frank its extremely early in the campaign and you're the frontrunner, of course people will be taking shots at you. It gets their name in the papers and media attention is a valuable currency in our line of work. If you want my advice when someone takes a shot at you, don't always fire back... it makes you look petty, such base insults should be beneath you. I think it was (not Mario Cuomo) who said 'you only shoot backwards in cowboy movies'"

"As for policy over politics... You should know as well as I do that people vote with their gut more than their head. And if it comes down to a contest between you and Murphy... You're the beer track candidate and they're the wine track candidate, people recognize that. And for being the wine track candidate, Murphy doesn't have many friends in 'the swamp' so that will only get him so far."

"My best advice is don't burn your bridges... I understand you're the hotshot progressive shaking up the system. Thats just fine, just keep that a general argument and don't go after specific people. Do that and you will be acceptable to the party, we just want to know you won't burn the house down in order to win everything."

"Play nice, prove youre a party person... A team player. Someone who can get things done and still shake up the system. It'll be hard because everyone has decided to run for President all of a sudden, half the allies i'd recommend to you are running. Maybe look to Senator Doyle of Oregon. A bit extreme but has a certain appeal. Congressman Brett Thomas of North Carolina... Campaign not just in the early states, biggest issue for Democrats is 'electability' campaign in the frontline house seats we won in '18, meet with those congresspeople that flipped the house. Got to the Baharia-Wolf districts and draw a crowd. Show people you can connect."

The Nordic Model
Attaché

Founded: Nov 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nordic Model » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Washington, DC
Hart Senate Office Building, Washington DC - Senator Rebekah Sharansky (D-IL)

Senator Sharansky had called upon her senior legislative team for a serious meeting. Just because the rest of the political world was busy running for president together, didn't mean that the others in Washington would have to sleep. Rebekah was feeling a bit restless; her AIPAC speech, while well-received by the lobby and her community, did not go down with her colleagues in the Capitol, who saw it as unnecessarily politicized. She also felt that Westra's enthusiasm in having her public support had gone down; she had not heard from him in a couple of weeks. She wasn't expecting to constantly do rallies for him, but she did expect at least some consistent contact from his campaign. She had received no such requests or contact in the past few weeks.

Perhaps she had been inadequate. Perhaps she wasn't as eloquent as she thought she was. Or maybe her efforts had worked, and the reason the New Jersey senator was leading the race in grassroots fundraising and in free media was because of her energetic organizing and support for him. Who knew. Whatever the case, she had to move out of the shadow of the Westra campaign. Enough already. She was her own person, and she didn't need a presidential candidate to "launch her future career," as Tim had explained to her when he first sought her endorsement.

Aside from their policy agreements, Rebekah was seeing little reason why she had thrown her support behind him in the first place.

She was finalizing a big bill she was hoping would make splashes among progressive circles. It was pretty much ready to be sent out to fellow senators. She read over it one more time.

Official Name: Prescription Price Package Act of 2019

Nickname: PPP Act

Overview: The United States has the highest per capita spending on prescription drugs in the world, spending over twice the amount spent by citizens in the U.K. and France. American citizens are not significantly more reliant on prescriptions drugs when compared to European counterparts. Americans use fewer prescription drugs, and when they use them, they are more likely to use cheaper generic versions. Instead, the discrepancy in costs can be traced back to one issue plaguing the entirety of the U.S. health care system: prices. This bill seeks to alleviate the concern of skyrocketing prices through several common sense measures that will keep drug prices at similar levels to the rest of the world.

Section 1: CURBING EXCESSIVE DRUG PRICES

a) Establishes that the Secretary of Health and Human Services shall determine the price of any brand-name drug as "excessive" if the domestic price exceeds the median price charged for that drug in 5 reference countries, those countries being:

1) The United Kingdom
    2) France
    3) Canada
    4) Germany
    5) Japan

b) Establishes that the price of any brand-name drug may also be deemed "excessive" by the Secretary with respect to the following factors:

1) The size of the brand-name drugs consumer base;
    2) The development costs of the drug;
    3) The value of the drug's health benefits;
    4) Any price increase of that brand-name drug during the annual quarter that is greater than the increase in the consumer price index.

c) Establishes that the Secretary shall waive or terminate any exclusivities provided by the government to that drug, including but not limited to patents;

d) Establishes that the Secretary may grant non-exclusive licenses for the generic production of such a drug.

Section 2: PERMITTING THE SAFE IMPORTATION OF AFFORDABLE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS

a) Directs the Secretary to recommend the implementation of necessary regulations to permit the importation of prescription drugs in accordance with the following standards:

1) Importation privileges will only be extended to certified pharmacies with licenses in the nation of Canada;
    2) Any imported drugs must comply with Canadian quality control regulations and U.S. regulations.

Section 3: MEDICARE PART D REFORM

a) Establishes that the Secretary of Health and Human Services shall negotiate the with pharmaceutical manufacturers the prices for discounts and rebates that may be charged to Medicare benficiaries covered by part D;

b) If said negotiations fail after the applicable period, then beneficiaries would pay the lower of the following:

1) A $250 monthly cap on cost-sharing for part D;
    2) The average of the prices available for the 5 reference countries.

This bill is then honorably presented to the Senate for consideration in order to lower domestic prescription drug prices and is backed by Rebekah Sharansky on April 2nd, 2019

Rebekah nodded at her chief legislative aide. "It's ready to go." She instructed her chief of staff to send it out to her Democratic colleagues.

TO: Democratic Senators

Good morning,

Senator Sharansky would appreciate if you read over her bill to reduce prescription drug prices. If you would like to cosponsor, please read out to the Senator. The bill is attached. To summarize, it permits the Dept. of Health and Human Services to terminate patents for high-cost drugs to increase the supply of generics, allows for the importation of drugs from Canada to increase competition and reduce prices, and permits HHS to negotiate Medicare Part D rates with drug producers, and caps cost-sharing costs for Medicare beneficiaries as a fallback option to failed negotiations.

Overview: The United States has the highest per capita spending on prescription drugs in the world, spending over twice the amount spent by citizens in the U.K. and France. American citizens are not significantly more reliant on prescriptions drugs when compared to European counterparts. Americans use fewer prescription drugs, and when they use them, they are more likely to use cheaper generic versions. Instead, the discrepancy in costs can be traced back to one issue plaguing the entirety of the U.S. health care system: prices. This bill seeks to alleviate the concern of skyrocketing prices through several common sense measures that will keep drug prices at similar levels to the rest of the world.

a) Establishes that the Secretary of Health and Human Services shall determine the price of any brand-name drug as "excessive" if the domestic price exceeds the median price charged for that drug in 5 reference countries, those countries being:

1) The United Kingdom
    2) France
    3) Canada
    4) Germany
    5) Japan

b) Establishes that the price of any brand-name drug may also be deemed "excessive" by the Secretary with respect to the following factors:

4) Any price increase of that brand-name drug during the annual quarter that is greater than the increase in the consumer price index.

c) Establishes that the Secretary shall waive or terminate any exclusivities provided by the government to that drug, including but not limited to patents;

d) Establishes that the Secretary may grant non-exclusive licenses for the generic production of such a drug.

a) Directs the Secretary to recommend the implementation of necessary regulations to permit the importation of prescription drugs in accordance with the following standards:

1) Importation privileges will only be extended to certified pharmacies with licenses in the nation of Canada;
    2) Any imported drugs must comply with Canadian quality control regulations and U.S. regulations.

a) Establishes that the Secretary of Health and Human Services shall negotiate the with pharmaceutical manufacturers the prices for discounts and rebates that may be charged to Medicare benficiaries covered by part D;

b) If said negotiations fail after the applicable period, then beneficiaries would pay the lower of the following:

We would appreciate your support in reducing the cost of necessities like pharmaceutical drugs for our constituents.

Best,
Office of Senator Rebekah Sharansky of Illinois
Last edited by The Nordic Model on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 pm

The Nordic Model wrote:
TO: Democratic Senators

Good morning,

Senator Sharansky would appreciate if you read over her bill to reduce prescription drug prices. If you would like to cosponsor, please read out to the Senator. The bill is attached. To summarize, it permits the Dept. of Health and Human Services to terminate patents for high-cost drugs to increase the supply of generics, allows for the importation of drugs from Canada to increase competition and reduce prices, and permits HHS to negotiate Medicare Part D rates with drug producers, and caps cost-sharing costs for Medicare beneficiaries as a fallback option to failed negotiations.

1) The United Kingdom
    2) France
    3) Canada
    4) Germany
    5) Japan

We would appreciate your support in reducing the cost of necessities like pharmaceutical drugs for our constituents.

Best,
Office of Senator Rebekah Sharansky of Illinois

TO: Senator Sharansky

Come to my office first chance you'd get. We can go over it in detail.

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Postby Azekopolaltion » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Dentali wrote:
Azekopolaltion wrote:

"Well.." Malcolm said straightening up "Just a necessary disclaimer..." Malcolm explained and exhaled "You're doing well, Medicare public option is a great move... enough for people in the swing districts to accept you and frankly you've raised an impressive amount of money for not having corporate donors..." Malcolm took a few more second to regard the man.

"To be completely frank its extremely early in the campaign and you're the frontrunner, of course people will be taking shots at you. It gets their name in the papers and media attention is a valuable currency in our line of work. If you want my advice when someone takes a shot at you, don't always fire back... it makes you look petty, such base insults should be beneath you. I think it was (not Mario Cuomo) who said 'you only shoot backwards in cowboy movies'"

"As for policy over politics... You should know as well as I do that people vote with their gut more than their head. And if it comes down to a contest between you and Murphy... You're the beer track candidate and they're the wine track candidate, people recognize that. And for being the wine track candidate, Murphy doesn't have many friends in 'the swamp' so that will only get him so far."

"My best advice is don't burn your bridges... I understand you're the hotshot progressive shaking up the system. Thats just fine, just keep that a general argument and don't go after specific people. Do that and you will be acceptable to the party, we just want to know you won't burn the house down in order to win everything."

"Play nice, prove youre a party person... A team player. Someone who can get things done and still shake up the system. It'll be hard because everyone has decided to run for President all of a sudden, half the allies i'd recommend to you are running. Maybe look to Senator Doyle of Oregon. A bit extreme but has a certain appeal. Congressman Brett Thomas of North Carolina... Campaign not just in the early states, biggest issue for Democrats is 'electability' campaign in the frontline house seats we won in '18, meet with those congresspeople that flipped the house. Got to the Baharia-Wolf districts and draw a crowd. Show people you can connect."

Tim slowly nodded in agreement. Say what you will about the ruthless nature of the speaker, but he had good advice to give. As for not burning bridges, this very meeting was an important first step in Westra acknowledging the party establishment.

"I'm with you on all of that...I'll see if I can squeeze in a meeting with the Congressman or Senator Moore. And I'll definitely scale back the personal attacks on fellow Democrats, I've shifted gears towards focusing on the special interests and the Republicans. And I'll be keeping contact with the party. No more voting Green or any bullshit like that!" Tim chuckled.

"Oh, one more thing...this meeting, do you have any qualms with me publicly mentioning it? Or perhaps a selfie for the social media? I'm happy to show folks that I'm in touch with our party leaders...but obviously, it might cause discomfort for you to be publicly seen with a presidential contender, might start up some unnecessary rumors. Whatever you wish."
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Nikaton
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nikaton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:38 pm

Nikaton wrote:“ true true. Hmm I don’t know much about Governor Velez but Florida is a key state and I can’t imagine him being a radical progressive in a state like that. Is there anything else you want to discuss at this time, or should I get back to work on the bill and send you my second draft when I have more?”

"Well, when it comes down to the vote for House Caucus Chair, I would like your support when that comes around. I have good relationships with both House progressives and moderates, I've got good relationships with some members of the Senate, and I can communicate well with the Republican leadership. I like to think that I am in a particularly good position from which to promote and develop Democratic legislation, hopefully. Either way though, I don't need to detain you for anything further, and I hope you do well in bringing your teaching bill to its next draft. If I might recommend any progressive colleagues to team up with, both Representative Davenport and Representative Nez are good friends. Representative Atang is my friend in the New York delegation, he's sort of half and half progressive and moderate, and from the moderates, I've found Representative Nuñez to be very reasonable. Take the time to make friends, Brett. Trust me."

“I think you’ve made a good case and you’ve been great help. Count me in. I’m actually planning to meet up with Nez to talk it over soon, I’ll give the others a ring as well as I draft. Thanks again I’ll take your advice to heart, and hope to see you around soon”

Brett shakes hands and heads out the office

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse