NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: An American Political Roleplay (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Agarntrop wrote:Second app (I've abandoned Hawkins-Fry coz I'd have to tweak him to the point he was no longer fun.)

(Image)

Character Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: Agarntrop
Character Name: Tara Misra
Character Gender: Female
Character Age: 46 (in RP timeline) (born 29 March 1972)
Character Height: 5' 6''
Character Weight: 169 lbs
Character Position/Role/Job: Acting United States Secretary of Homeland Security (2018-), Chair of the United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy (2015-2017), Member of the United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy (2013-2017), Member of the United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology (2011-2013), United States Representative for Kentucky's 5th Congressional District (2011-2017).
Appearance:
Character State of Origin: New York
Character State of Residence: District of Columbia
Character Party Affiliation: Republican (1990-1995; 1997-), Independent (1995-1997)
Main Strengths: Good at speeches, persuasive, good at answering questions, intelligent.
Main Weaknesses: Accused of lying, manipulative, prone to speak before thinking, allegations of corruption.
Biography:
Tara Misra was born on 29 March 1972 to Sushil and Anjana Misra, in the New York City Borough of Queens, while her parents were resident in Manhattan. Her paternal grandparents were born in Jaipur, Rajasthan, before emigrating to Uganda, and establishing a grocery store in Kampala. In the 1960s her parents emigrated to the US and settled in New Jersey, several years before President Idi Amin came to power and expelled Ugandan Asians in November 1972. They established a chain of convenience stores in New York City.

Misra attended Manhattan High School for Girls, before studying Economics at Brown University, and then pursuing postgraduate studies in Political Science at the University of Kentucky.

The 40th President of the United States, Ronald Reagan, became her political hero: according to Misra, he "had a unique ability to understand what made people work, households work and businesses work. Managing the economy, controlling the deficit and making decisions – not purchasing things the country couldn't afford". She first joined the Republican Party as a teenager, when John W.J. Burke was President.
After graduating, Misra became an intern at the headquarters of the Republican National Committee (RNC) in Washington DC, having been selected by [not-Hayley Barbour] (then Head of the RNC at the time). In 1995, Misra left the Republicans, politically identifying as an independent.

In 1997, Misra rejoined the Republican Party having been offered a post to work for [not-Dick Armey] in his press office, dealing with media relations. In August 2003, The Washington Post published an article citing quotes from Misra and alleging that "racist attitudes" persisted in the Republican Party, and that "there's a lot of bigotry around". Misra wrote to the WaPo countering its article stating that her comments had been misinterpreted to imply that the reason she wouldn't run for a position in the United States House of Representatives was because she thought she would lose the primaries becuase of her ethnicity.

In 2000, Misra left the employment of the Republican Party to work for FleishmanHillard, a PR and marketing agency. According to an investigative article published by The New York Times in May 2015, Misra was one of seven FleishmanHillard employees who worked on the American Petroleum Institute (API) – a major account. The team had been tasked with helping the API manage the company's public image during controversies around it lobbying against federal climate change legislation. The article went on to quote API employees who felt that though a majority of FleishmanHillard employees were uncomfortable working with them, Misra'a group was fairly relaxed. The article also quoted internal documents specifying that a part of Misra's job was also to lobby US Senators against federal fossil fuels regulations. She worked for FleishmanHillard for three years.

Misra then moved to the multinational alcoholic beverages company Bacardi, and worked in corporate relations between 2003 and 2007. In 2007, she rejoined FleishmanHillard as Director of Corporate and Public Affairs practices. According to their press release, during her time at Bacardi, Misra had "worked on international public policy issues related to the wider impact of alcohol in society."
US Representative for Kentucky's 5th Congressional District (2011-2017)
In the 2008 House election, she stood in the Republican Primaries for Kentucky's 5th District, losing to the incumbent at the time, [not-Hal Rogers]. Despite her failed bid in 2008, Misra was estimated to win the next primaries in the district after she announced her intention to stand again in 2009. She won the primaries in the district in 2010, and subsequently won the district with 81% of the vote at the 2010 midterm elections. She was drafted into the United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology when the 112th Congress began in January 2011, and was moved to the Financial Services Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy after she won the 2012 election in her district.

In the midterms of 2014 — a Republican Congressional victory — Misra retained her House seat with 84% of the vote. During the campaign, she had criticised her Democratic rival for referring to her as a "sexy Bond villain" and a "village idiot" on social media; he apologised. After the election, Misra rose to the Chair of the Financial Services Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy. In 2015, Misra supported President Baharia's airstikes on Islamic State targets in Syria.

2015 Saudi Arabia Scandal
On 3 November 2015, CNN broke the news that Misra had held meetings in Saudi Arabia in August 2015 without telling the US Department of State. The meetings, up to a dozen in number, took place while Misra was on a "private holiday". Misra met Muqrin bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the former crown prince of Saudi Arabia, and reportedly made visits to several organisations where official departmental business was discussed. CNN reported that "According to one source, at least one of the meetings was held at the suggestion of the Saudi ambassador to Washington. In contrast, American diplomats in Saudi Arabia were not informed about Ms Misra's plans."

It was also reported that, following the meetings, Misra had recommended that the United States give international aid money to field hospitals run by the Saudi army in Yemen. Although these hospitals have been described by Misra as "provid[ing] medical support for Yemeni refugees", officials have refused to identify who they treat in them, and whether they are Saudi soldiers, Yemeni government soldiers or Yemeni civillians.

On 4 November 2015, in an interview with The New York Times, Misra stated "[Not-John [Kerry]] knew about the visit. The point is that the Department of State did know about this, [Not-John] knew about [the trip]. I went out there, I paid for it. And there is nothing else to this. It is quite extraordinary. It is for the Department of State to go away and explain themselves. The stuff that is out there is it, as far as I am concerned. I went on holiday and met with people and organisations. As far as I am concerned, the Department of State have known about this. It is not about who else I met; I have friends out there."

Misra later released an apology for her actions, and corrected her remarks to The New York Times, which she said gave the false impression that the Secretary of State knew about the trip before it happened, and that the only meetings she had had were those then in the public domain. According to the White House, President Baharia learned of the meetings when CNN broke the story on 3 November.

In the days after her public apology, there were further revelations about her contacts with Saudi Arabia, including details of two more undisclosed meetings with Saudi officials in Washington and New York in September 2015, that Misra had not disclosed when she apologised on 6th. As a result of these further revelations Misra announced that she would not be standing again for her seat in the House at the 2016 election, after 4 years sitting there. Misra claimed that, following her announcement, she was "overwhelmed with support from colleagues across the political divide" and from her constituents.

2016 Presidential Election Campaign
Misra was widely touted as a likely "poster girl" for the Wolf campaign. Misra said that Wolf was "just the kind of leader that America needs". She publicly stated that immigration from Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America was overstretching the resources of American schools. She helped to launch the Women For Wolf campaign for pro-Wolf women; at their launch party, she compared their campaign with that of the women's suffrage movement, for which she was criticised by the descendents of many of the suffragists.

Secretary of Homeland Security
Misra was appointed Secretary for Homeland Security by President Wolf in October 2018 following the resignation of [not Kirstjen Nielsen].
Misra is considered to be on the right-wing of the Republican Party. The New York Times has characterised her as "an out-and-out right-winger" who has no desire to "claim the centre ground" in politics. Misra has cited Reagan as her political hero, and has described herself as a "massive Reaganite" ("I apologise to no one for that"), with various news sources characterising her as a Reaganite.

She has taken robust stances on crime, garnering media attention after she argued for the mandatory death penalty for 1st degree murder in order to "ease the burden on Federal prisons" during a MSNBC interview, although in 2016 she said she no longer held this view. Misra opposes prisoner voting. She has also opposed allowing felons to access to media to protest their innocence. Misra opposes same-sex marriage.
Misra has been married to Alex Nash since 2004. Nash is a marketing consultant for the stock exchange NASDAQ. He is also a Republican Member of the New York State House of Representatives. Nash also worked part-time as her office manager from February 2014 to August 2017. Together they have a son born in August 2008.

Other Info: boy that took a long time to make

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Agarntrop

Do Not Remove: 84721

This is an amazing application, very well written! I do have my concerns though, especially with how she became Chair of the Financial Services Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy.

My other concern is with her being appointed Secretary of Homeland Security. She doesn’t seem to have much experience in the Homeland Security field and her appointment would be very strange. She could probably get away with being appointed to a lower level position, but definitely not a Cabinet-level position.

Unless you are adamant on her age being 48, I would recommend bumping the age up by two years.

Presumably her husband lives and works in New York. It doesn’t much sense to have her in a district in Kentucky with her family living away from her.

There is also no way that Nash could’ve worked part-time as an office manager unless this was only during recess which to my knowledge happens around the same time. Also what office would this be at, D.C or Kentucky?
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth wrote:
Meelducan wrote:It says he is the Senator for Georgia, yet it only mentions him being elected as a Senator for Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania and Georgia are different states and will need changed.

You could also elaborate on the family trouble.

You could probably add important dates (example being birthday, first election date)

A Senate term is six years, with him being in his fourth (anywhere from 18-24 years). You understand this?

He seems to bounce around quite a bit, Navy to Paramedic to Chicken farmer to Congressman back to Chicken farmer to Senator. Maybe just leave out the Paramedic stuff, instead replacing it with his adjustment from coming out of the Navy?

Overall, this application is much better than your previous one, but it will need to be fixed before it can be accepted.

eeeeee meant to change that

I could yes

Ehhhh.... maybe

Yes I know

FMF Corpsman is a navy paramedic so it is natural to come out of the navy as a paramedic like that. Also chicken farming is very popular in Georgia, and many congressmen and senators go back and forth between civilian and political.

I don't think the going back and forth is too weird, i think the fact he becomes a farmer out of nowhere is weird since he has no experience. I would however recommend he go to college post military for agricultural science if he was going to be a farmer
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:31 pm

Dentali wrote:
Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth wrote:eeeeee meant to change that

I could yes

Ehhhh.... maybe

Yes I know

FMF Corpsman is a navy paramedic so it is natural to come out of the navy as a paramedic like that. Also chicken farming is very popular in Georgia, and many congressmen and senators go back and forth between civilian and political.

I don't think the going back and forth is too weird, i think the fact he becomes a farmer out of nowhere is weird since he has no experience. I would however recommend he go to college post military for agricultural science if he was going to be a farmer

Maple farmer at a young age.

Just realized I didnt add chickens which I meant to do.

I should add some years in college but ehh...
EMT for Moreau EMS Squad
Naval Sea Cadet Petty Officer
Maple and Chicken Farmer (Gotta love the eggs and pancakes)
Extreme American Nationalist
Republican Upstate New Yorker (deal with it).
Proud enemy of Nazis (because Jewish vs. Aryan).
Proud enemy of Communists (because independence vs. collectivism).
Proud enemy of Progressives (because morals vs. make-believe).
Somewhat of an LGB ally, not the T or the Q or anything + though
Straight as a gun barrel.
Gun lover (clearly).
4 siblings (oldest brother, and proud to be so).
Teenage former rebel.
BACA supporter.
Proud leader of The Free Republican Commonwealth

In love.
If you can read this, thank a teacher!
If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier!

My belief here was censored.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:32 pm

(Image)

NS Nation Name: Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth
Character Name: Nathan Weinberger
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 64
Character Height: 6 feet 1 inch
Character Weight: 176 lbs
Character Position/Role/Job: Senator for Georgia
Appearance: (Photo preferred, not required) N/A
Character State of Residence: Georgia
Character Party Affiliation: Republican
Main Strengths: Mid to low class people, farmers, military, legal immigrants, religious, and disabled.
Main Weaknesses: LGBTQ, intellectuals, muslims, pacifists
Biography:
Born in Amsterdam N.Y on April 18th 1955, Weinberger's mother was an Irish immigrant and his father was a Czech immigrant, and he practiced Judaism. He grew up in the upstate area and lived on a maple and chicken farm. Weinberger also had a life threatening blood disorder that had almost killed him multiple times. From a young age he was very interested in politics and he excelled in school.

He was a USNSCC cadet from 10-18 allowing a 3 rate bonus into the Navy. Weinberger became a junior EMT at 15 years old. He graduated high school at 17 and enlisted into the Navy.

Weinberger became a FMF Corpsman and stayed in for 5 tours before getting out and returning home. He left active duty at 24 years old, as an E-7. Then joined the reserves, and stayed in the reserves until he was 30. He left the Navy as an E-8. He was diagnosed with mild PTSD when he was 25.

When he returned home he married his long time girlfriend, moved to Georgia, and became a full time paramedic. During that period he bought a small farm and cultivated wheat and chickens. His children now work the farm while he is away. Weinberger also joined Bikers Against Child Abuse at 26. He became president of his chapter at 31, and he had made many connections.

When he was 29, he ran for congress as a Republican in the Telfair county. He was elected, just barely. Weinberger helped veterans, built up the police force and virtually stopped crime, loosened gun regulations, and got taxes lowered in his district. He served 6 terms, 12 years, before he left politics for a few years due to family trouble.

He left congress when he was 41 because of his son's suicide and his wife's threatened divorce. No divorce took place and at 44, with family issues resolved, he decided to go back into politics.

When he was 45 he ran for senate of Georgia. He was elected due to farmer's votes. Up to this day he has served 3 terms (on 4th) and has loosened gun laws, lowered taxes, went down hard on crime, provided incentives to businesses to be more green, helped veterans, put more schools in the more rural areas, and has decreased unemployment in Georgia. Nationally he is known by Republicans to be the shining star of Americanism, to the Democrats a homophobic red neck.

Currently he lives with his wife and 2 children in McRae, Georgia. He still runs his farm, and is still part of BACA.
His farm his much bigger, his son runs a trucking business, and his daughter is a biologist. Weinberger's wife is retired.

Other Info:
Pro gun, pro free speech, pro military, pro small government, pro bikers, pro nationalism, pro environment.
Anti LGBTQ, anti abortion, anti high taxes, anti welfare.
Unoffendable.
Extreme nationalist.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth

this should be it, right? or am I missing something else?
EMT for Moreau EMS Squad
Gun lover (clearly).
Teenage former rebel.
BACA supporter.

In love.

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Sarenium wrote:
(Image)

NS Nation Name: Sarenium
Character Name: Jillian G. Dayton
Character Age: 48
Character Height: 175cm
Character Weight: 85kg
Character Position/Role/Job: U.S. Senator for Virginia
Appearance: (Photo preferred, not required)
Character State of Origin: Virginia
Character State of Residence: Virginia
Character Party Affiliation: Democrat
Main Strengths: Youthful Exuberance, Pragmatist
Main Weaknesses: Appeal outside metropolitan America is limited, has no family name of her own.
Biography: (Minimum 2-3 paragraphs)

Sen. Dayton, born in Norfolk, VA (Jan 12, 1971) to Robert Dayton (a Navy Sailor) and Angela Bruntz (a teacher), Jillian attained her BA from Harvard University having gained admission as a National Merit Student. Shortly thereafter attaining her J.D. from Harvard, she returned to Virginia working as a Junior Prosecutor in Norfolk. While in Massachusetts for her education, she had two discreet abortions in the same year, this is kept from the public as she is acutely aware of the burden this would place on her politically. At 26, she sought election as Commonwealth Attorney and was unsuccessful, despite this she successfully ran for State Senate in 2001. In the 2006 Midterms, she won the primary for Virginia's Third Congressional District, successfully winning the open seat of Bobby Scott. Her margin grew markedly in 2008 and she survived the 2010 Republican landslide. In 2013 she sought the Democratic nomination for Governor of Virginia, winning a plurality of votes. When her term as Governor ended in 2018, she announced her candidacy for United States Senator and won election to the Senate in November of 2018 with a remarkable 53% of votes cast. She left office as Governor with an approval rating of 55%.

As Governor of Virginia, she successfully lobbied for legislation introducing 'VUSE', the Virginia Universal System of Education through which the State Government would subsidize drastically, the fee for Tertiary Education for its own residents. The scheme made it possible for low-income families to send their children through the Virginia College Network at no immediate cost. For Virginia Residents, positions labeled 'Commonwealth Supported Places' were introduced, these were capped at varying Universities relative to the capacity of the institution to handle students, students would incur approximately $6,500, $8,500 or $12,500 of 'Student Contribution Debt' per year dependent on how much they were likely to earn after graduation, and would be required to repay this debt upon graduating. VUSE steered prospective graduates towards STEM subjects, earning her criticism as ‘ending the arts’. The system was highly successful and its provisions that required students to remain in Virginia until their entire debt was repaid ensured it provided education-based economic stimulus to the state. The legislation is rumoured to be at the top of the Senator's legislative agenda in D.C. Further, as Governor in the wake of the GFC and 2008 Recession she restructured the state tax system raising taxes on all income earned over $100,000.
Her term as Governor was among the most productive in State History, passing a large number of legislative items that revitalized the State, the VPT Act, bolstered public transport access across the state, however one of her most iconic acts was 'VAHCA', which expanded Medicaid under the ACA, increased targeted Veterans Healthcare and increased funding for public hospitals and clinics through a Tobacco and Alcohol Excise. The Virginia Healthcare Act also expanded Abortion Access, permitting women to seek an Abortion on demand in the first 23 weeks, requiring that women attain the advice an referral of two doctors between the 23rd and 27th week and wholly prohibited abortions in the last 12 weeks 'unless extraneous circumstances lead to recommendation from six different doctors'. Upon leaving office she stated, "if I had a second term? I'd push for Paid Parental Leave, Ranked Choice Voting, subsidized Medication, a carbon control scheme and the legalization of Marijuana." Despite her productive and well liked term in office, she increased the state’s debt, while she has argued this is insignificant as ‘the State’s economy grew too’. Her departure from office was marked by a reduced deficit and thanks to strong national economic growth the debt-GDP ratio has reduced despite not having had a surplus. Her successor, has made fiscal balance his priority in the next biennial budget.

Her colleagues and opponents alike, describe her as a woman dedicated to 'being better off in the end'. She worked with Republicans across the state and earlier, in Congress seeking to implement her vision. Despite her illuminating legislative accomplishments as Governor, she has argued for structural change in America. Every session of Congress between 2006 and 2013 saw her push for legislation targeting gerrymandering, seeking to introduce preferential voting and as of 2017, she has publicly advocated for either the dismantling of the Electoral College or legislation altering the Reapportionment Act of 1941. In the wake of Citizens United v FEC she called it a "travesty of justice and the greatest betrayal of the American Dream since the Civil War itself".

In 2018 she was successful in winning the US Senate Election in Virginia and has been touted as 'every conservatives worst fear', she herself has resisted efforts to label her as a moderate or progressive, instead calling herself a pragmatist.

In 2000 she wed Dr. Liam Stanford, but refused to adopt his family name saying she wanted their interdependence to be personal but not in regards to nomenclature of their relationship. Her oldest child is 16, her two other children are 14 and 10 respectively.

Other Info: In 2013 her gubernatorial bid would not take money from the NRA, fossil fuel driven companies or lobbying firms. In 2016 she controversially opined that having a federal deficit doesn't matter provided that the ratio between debt and GDP shrinks, although she did clarify that she viewed a surplus as ideal during economic success but not 'an absolute necessity'. This opinion was expressed at the same time as the introduction of her state VAT which earned her criticism as a ‘tax and spend’.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Sarenium

Accepted.
Democratic Nominee 2024

Former Republican. Liberal Internationalist. Pick your battles.

Is the Hamburglar an insurrectionary anarchist? One who martyrs himself through the propaganda of the deed?

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:50 pm

(Image)

Appearance: (Photo preferred, not required) N/A
Main Strengths: Mid to low class people, farmers, military, legal immigrants, religious, and disabled.
Biography:
Born in Amsterdam N.Y on April 18th 1955, Weinberger's mother was an Irish immigrant and his father was a Czech immigrant, and he practiced Judaism. He grew up in the upstate area and lived on a maple and chicken farm. Weinberger also had a life threatening blood disorder that had almost killed him multiple times. From a young age he was very interested in politics and he excelled in school.

He was a USNSCC cadet from 10-18 allowing a 3 rate bonus into the Navy. Weinberger became a junior EMT at 15 years old. He graduated high school at 17 and enlisted into the Navy.

Weinberger became a FMF Corpsman and stayed in for 5 tours before getting out and returning home. He left active duty at 24 years old, as an E-7. Then joined the reserves, and stayed in the reserves until he was 30. He left the Navy as an E-8. He was diagnosed with mild PTSD when he was 25.

When he returned home he married his long time girlfriend, moved to Georgia, and became a full time paramedic. During that period he bought a small farm and cultivated wheat and chickens. His children now work the farm while he is away. Weinberger also joined Bikers Against Child Abuse at 26. He became president of his chapter at 31, and he had made many connections.

When he was 29, he ran for congress as a Republican in the Telfair county. He was elected, just barely. Weinberger helped veterans, built up the police force and virtually stopped crime, loosened gun regulations, and got taxes lowered in his district. He served 6 terms, 12 years, before he left politics for a few years due to family trouble.

He left congress when he was 41 because of his son's suicide and his wife's threatened divorce. No divorce took place and at 44, with family issues resolved, he decided to go back into politics.

When he was 45 he ran for senate of Georgia. He was elected due to farmer's votes. Up to this day he has served 3 terms (on 4th) and has loosened gun laws, lowered taxes, went down hard on crime, provided incentives to businesses to be more green, helped veterans, put more schools in the more rural areas, and has decreased unemployment in Georgia. Nationally he is known by Republicans to be the shining star of Americanism, to the Democrats a homophobic red neck.

Currently he lives with his wife and 2 children in McRae, Georgia. He still runs his farm, and is still part of BACA.
His farm his much bigger, his son runs a trucking business, and his daughter is a biologist. Weinberger's wife is retired.

Other Info:
Pro gun, pro free speech, pro military, pro small government, pro bikers, pro nationalism, pro environment.
Unoffendable.
Extreme nationalist.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth

this should be it, right? or am I missing something else?

I still think he’s moving too fast. He’s straight out of the military with minimal education and becomes a full time Paramedic. He then owns/runs the farm while being in a biker gang and being a full time job.
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Meelducan wrote:
Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth wrote:this should be it, right? or am I missing something else?

I still think he’s moving too fast. He’s straight out of the military with minimal education and becomes a full time Paramedic. He then owns/runs the farm while being in a biker gang and being a full time job.

Military gave him his paramedic education, getting a farm isnt too hard in Georgia, and BACA is always looking for members.
EMT for Moreau EMS Squad
Gun lover (clearly).
Teenage former rebel.
BACA supporter.

In love.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Meelducan wrote:I still think he’s moving too fast. He’s straight out of the military with minimal education and becomes a full time Paramedic. He then owns/runs the farm while being in a biker gang and being a full time job.

Military gave him his paramedic education, getting a farm isnt too hard in Georgia, and BACA is always looking for members.

Yea BACA is fine, however is being a chapter president a full time job?

Also we need SOMETHING for his appearance

The Sandersmen
Secretary

Founded: Jan 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sandersmen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:52 pm

NS Nation Name: The Sandersmen
Character Name: Giselle Campbell
Character Age: 42
Character Height: 5' 4"
Character Weight: 130 lbs.
Character Position/Role/Job: National Director of the Working Families Party (2017 -), Speechwriter for Rashid Baharia (2008-2010), Baharia New York Primary Campaign Strategist (2008)
Appearance:

Character State of Residence: New York
Character Party Affiliation: Democratic
Main Strengths: Strong union connections, dynamic/eloquent, balances strategy and ideology
Main Weaknesses: Her ties to unions are sometimes a liability; for example, teacher unions have been attributed as a main reason for the decline of public schools in NY, and she's seen as too beholden to union interests. She sometimes angers hardcore progressives when she makes the WFP play it safe.
Biography: Giselle grew up in Long Beach, on the South Shore of Long Island, NY, the daughter of Caribbean immigrants. Her mother was a nurse and her father an electrician — both union members. She went to a zone school, where she was a decent student. She graduated and then completed her undergraduate degree at Lehman College, a part of the City University of New York (CUNY); most of her educational costs were subsidized or won by scholarship. She completed graduate school at NYU in 2001, receiving a degree in political science.

From that time until 2014, Giselle worked closely with several state political organizers and institutions. In 2002 she was hired as technical director for the New York State Democrats, helping to manage social media and netroots relations. From 2005-2006 she worked as a consultant for the newly-formed political action committee, Democracy for America. Giselle was also part of the extended WFP for years, working closely with the New York party on Long Island elections in 2007. She was a strong supporter of Rashid Baharia in 2008, volunteering for his campaign and serving on his New York campaign strategy team. She was soon promoted as one of Senator Baharia's speechwriters. When he emerged victorious in 2008, she was hired as an official speechwriter in the White House.

But Giselle quickly became disillusioned with the new President when she realized that he wasn't following the progressive, idealistic path that his campaign had paved. She resigned at the end of his first, and became reinvolved in the Working Families Party. She was hired onto the decision-making board of the WFP. In 2011 she was an outspoken attendant at the Occupy Wall Street Protests. And after the sudden string of police-brutality-related events in 2014, she became a well-known member of the Black Lives Matter movement. In 2015 she started her own communications firm to popularize the movement; she continued to serve as a senior board member in the WFP. Finally, after the retirement of the former national director for the Working Families Party, Giselle was selected by the party to be the new national director, given her vast amount of experience in government strategy. She has been known for being effective at communicating progressive goals in a logical fashion without deviating dramatically from idealism. Her experience in communication with the NY State Democrats, her speechwriting for Baharia, and her communications firm has helped her with this.

The WFP remains a kingmaker for progressive candidates and their endorsement is highly valued. The institution has received some backlash for sometimes compromising with centrists to get closer to progressive goals, but the WFP is still recognized as a vital institution for progressives.

Other Info: She's married to the director of AFL-CIO, a big federation of NY trade unions. They have two children.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: The Sandersmen

Hey, I heard a while ago that my app was submitted for approval by the OP. I'm seeing that people who submitted after me are getting accepted. Did the OP see the app?
Last edited by The Sandersmen on Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Meelducan wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:Second app (I've abandoned Hawkins-Fry coz I'd have to tweak him to the point he was no longer fun.)

(Image)

NS Nation Name: Agarntrop
Character Name: Tara Misra
Character Age: 46 (in RP timeline) (born 29 March 1972)
Character Height: 5' 6''
Character Weight: 169 lbs
Character Position/Role/Job: Acting United States Secretary of Homeland Security (2018-), Chair of the United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy (2015-2017), Member of the United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy (2013-2017), Member of the United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology (2011-2013), United States Representative for Kentucky's 5th Congressional District (2011-2017).
Appearance:
Character State of Residence: District of Columbia
Character Party Affiliation: Republican (1990-1995; 1997-), Independent (1995-1997)
Main Strengths: Good at speeches, persuasive, good at answering questions, intelligent.
Main Weaknesses: Accused of lying, manipulative, prone to speak before thinking, allegations of corruption.
Biography:
Tara Misra was born on 29 March 1972 to Sushil and Anjana Misra, in the New York City Borough of Queens, while her parents were resident in Manhattan. Her paternal grandparents were born in Jaipur, Rajasthan, before emigrating to Uganda, and establishing a grocery store in Kampala. In the 1960s her parents emigrated to the US and settled in New Jersey, several years before President Idi Amin came to power and expelled Ugandan Asians in November 1972. They established a chain of convenience stores in New York City.

Misra attended Manhattan High School for Girls, before studying Economics at Brown University, and then pursuing postgraduate studies in Political Science at the University of Kentucky.

The 40th President of the United States, Ronald Reagan, became her political hero: according to Misra, he "had a unique ability to understand what made people work, households work and businesses work. Managing the economy, controlling the deficit and making decisions – not purchasing things the country couldn't afford". She first joined the Republican Party as a teenager, when John W.J. Burke was President.
After graduating, Misra became an intern at the headquarters of the Republican National Committee (RNC) in Washington DC, having been selected by [not-Hayley Barbour] (then Head of the RNC at the time). In 1995, Misra left the Republicans, politically identifying as an independent.

In 1997, Misra rejoined the Republican Party having been offered a post to work for [not-Dick Armey] in his press office, dealing with media relations. In August 2003, The Washington Post published an article citing quotes from Misra and alleging that "racist attitudes" persisted in the Republican Party, and that "there's a lot of bigotry around". Misra wrote to the WaPo countering its article stating that her comments had been misinterpreted to imply that the reason she wouldn't run for a position in the United States House of Representatives was because she thought she would lose the primaries becuase of her ethnicity.

In 2000, Misra left the employment of the Republican Party to work for FleishmanHillard, a PR and marketing agency. According to an investigative article published by The New York Times in May 2015, Misra was one of seven FleishmanHillard employees who worked on the American Petroleum Institute (API) – a major account. The team had been tasked with helping the API manage the company's public image during controversies around it lobbying against federal climate change legislation. The article went on to quote API employees who felt that though a majority of FleishmanHillard employees were uncomfortable working with them, Misra'a group was fairly relaxed. The article also quoted internal documents specifying that a part of Misra's job was also to lobby US Senators against federal fossil fuels regulations. She worked for FleishmanHillard for three years.

Misra then moved to the multinational alcoholic beverages company Bacardi, and worked in corporate relations between 2003 and 2007. In 2007, she rejoined FleishmanHillard as Director of Corporate and Public Affairs practices. According to their press release, during her time at Bacardi, Misra had "worked on international public policy issues related to the wider impact of alcohol in society."
US Representative for Kentucky's 5th Congressional District (2011-2017)
In the 2008 House election, she stood in the Republican Primaries for Kentucky's 5th District, losing to the incumbent at the time, [not-Hal Rogers]. Despite her failed bid in 2008, Misra was estimated to win the next primaries in the district after she announced her intention to stand again in 2009. She won the primaries in the district in 2010, and subsequently won the district with 81% of the vote at the 2010 midterm elections. She was drafted into the United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology when the 112th Congress began in January 2011, and was moved to the Financial Services Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy after she won the 2012 election in her district.

In the midterms of 2014 — a Republican Congressional victory — Misra retained her House seat with 84% of the vote. During the campaign, she had criticised her Democratic rival for referring to her as a "sexy Bond villain" and a "village idiot" on social media; he apologised. After the election, Misra rose to the Chair of the Financial Services Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy. In 2015, Misra supported President Baharia's airstikes on Islamic State targets in Syria.

2015 Saudi Arabia Scandal
On 3 November 2015, CNN broke the news that Misra had held meetings in Saudi Arabia in August 2015 without telling the US Department of State. The meetings, up to a dozen in number, took place while Misra was on a "private holiday". Misra met Muqrin bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the former crown prince of Saudi Arabia, and reportedly made visits to several organisations where official departmental business was discussed. CNN reported that "According to one source, at least one of the meetings was held at the suggestion of the Saudi ambassador to Washington. In contrast, American diplomats in Saudi Arabia were not informed about Ms Misra's plans."

It was also reported that, following the meetings, Misra had recommended that the United States give international aid money to field hospitals run by the Saudi army in Yemen. Although these hospitals have been described by Misra as "provid[ing] medical support for Yemeni refugees", officials have refused to identify who they treat in them, and whether they are Saudi soldiers, Yemeni government soldiers or Yemeni civillians.

On 4 November 2015, in an interview with The New York Times, Misra stated "[Not-John [Kerry]] knew about the visit. The point is that the Department of State did know about this, [Not-John] knew about [the trip]. I went out there, I paid for it. And there is nothing else to this. It is quite extraordinary. It is for the Department of State to go away and explain themselves. The stuff that is out there is it, as far as I am concerned. I went on holiday and met with people and organisations. As far as I am concerned, the Department of State have known about this. It is not about who else I met; I have friends out there."

Misra later released an apology for her actions, and corrected her remarks to The New York Times, which she said gave the false impression that the Secretary of State knew about the trip before it happened, and that the only meetings she had had were those then in the public domain. According to the White House, President Baharia learned of the meetings when CNN broke the story on 3 November.

In the days after her public apology, there were further revelations about her contacts with Saudi Arabia, including details of two more undisclosed meetings with Saudi officials in Washington and New York in September 2015, that Misra had not disclosed when she apologised on 6th. As a result of these further revelations Misra announced that she would not be standing again for her seat in the House at the 2016 election, after 4 years sitting there. Misra claimed that, following her announcement, she was "overwhelmed with support from colleagues across the political divide" and from her constituents.

2016 Presidential Election Campaign
Misra was widely touted as a likely "poster girl" for the Wolf campaign. Misra said that Wolf was "just the kind of leader that America needs". She publicly stated that immigration from Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America was overstretching the resources of American schools. She helped to launch the Women For Wolf campaign for pro-Wolf women; at their launch party, she compared their campaign with that of the women's suffrage movement, for which she was criticised by the descendents of many of the suffragists.

Secretary of Homeland Security
Misra was appointed Secretary for Homeland Security by President Wolf in October 2018 following the resignation of [not Kirstjen Nielsen].
Misra is considered to be on the right-wing of the Republican Party. The New York Times has characterised her as "an out-and-out right-winger" who has no desire to "claim the centre ground" in politics. Misra has cited Reagan as her political hero, and has described herself as a "massive Reaganite" ("I apologise to no one for that"), with various news sources characterising her as a Reaganite.

She has taken robust stances on crime, garnering media attention after she argued for the mandatory death penalty for 1st degree murder in order to "ease the burden on Federal prisons" during a MSNBC interview, although in 2016 she said she no longer held this view. Misra opposes prisoner voting. She has also opposed allowing felons to access to media to protest their innocence. Misra opposes same-sex marriage.
Misra has been married to Alex Nash since 2004. Nash is a marketing consultant for the stock exchange NASDAQ. He is also a Republican Member of the New York State House of Representatives. Nash also worked part-time as her office manager from February 2014 to August 2017. Together they have a son born in August 2008.

Other Info: boy that took a long time to make

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Agarntrop

This is an amazing application, very well written! I do have my concerns though, especially with how she became Chair of the Financial Services Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy.

My other concern is with her being appointed Secretary of Homeland Security. She doesn’t seem to have much experience in the Homeland Security field and her appointment would be very strange. She could probably get away with being appointed to a lower level position, but definitely not a Cabinet-level position.

Unless you are adamant on her age being 48, I would recommend bumping the age up by two years.

Presumably her husband lives and works in New York. It doesn’t much sense to have her in a district in Kentucky with her family living away from her.

There is also no way that Nash could’ve worked part-time as an office manager unless this was only during recess which to my knowledge happens around the same time. Also what office would this be at, D.C or Kentucky?

1. She has a background in that field due to her work in PR Firms where she specifically tackled those issues.
2. I mean, she's been in Congress and even chaired committees relating to national security. She'd be quite a high ranking politician.
3. Do I have to? I'm not that bothered about her age but I'd have to make a bunch of pointless edits to the bio.
4. I thought she'd be a little too conservative for New York or any of the surrounding states, though.
5. I can delete the office manager part if it causes you too much trouble.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
Meelducan wrote:This is an amazing application, very well written! I do have my concerns though, especially with how she became Chair of the Financial Services Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy.

1. She has a background in that field due to her work in PR Firms where she specifically tackled those issues.
2. I mean, she's been in Congress and even chaired committees relating to national security. She'd be quite a high ranking politician.
3. Do I have to? I'm not that bothered about her age but I'd have to make a bunch of pointless edits to the bio.
4. I thought she'd be a little too conservative for New York or any of the surrounding states, though.

just give her husband a job in Kentucky

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Dentali wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:1. She has a background in that field due to her work in PR Firms where she specifically tackled those issues.

just give her husband a job in Kentucky

yessss
Left Without Edge

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:47 am

Dentali wrote:
Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth wrote:Military gave him his paramedic education, getting a farm isnt too hard in Georgia, and BACA is always looking for members.

Yea BACA is fine, however is being a chapter president a full time job?

Also we need SOMETHING for his appearance

Not a job. But being president in a chapter is possible.
Ah fine, ill look around.
EMT for Moreau EMS Squad
Gun lover (clearly).
Teenage former rebel.
BACA supporter.

In love.

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:17 am

If anyone would like to take a peek, to potentially co-sponsor, the Constitutional Amendment Davenport will be introducing, message me to let me know.
Busy, but I check TGs often.
Imperial Esplanadian Constitution [WIP]

New Orleans, Louisiana.
Nation Weebly/Wiki - Coming Soon
The Land of the Free - Admin Assist.

But the Lord stood by me, and gave me strength. (2 Timothy 4:17)
One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory. (Rita Mae Brown)
SAINTS | PELICANS | TIGERS | PRIVATEERS

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:30 am

I've edited the Misra app, btw.
Left Without Edge

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 am

Imperial Esplanade wrote:If anyone would like to take a peek, to potentially co-sponsor, the Constitutional Amendment Davenport will be introducing, message me to let me know.

Consider me interested
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:59 am

(Image)

Appearance: (Photo preferred, not required) (Image)
Biography:

Other Info:
Unoffendable.
Extreme nationalist.

There. Everything fixed.
EMT for Moreau EMS Squad
Gun lover (clearly).
Teenage former rebel.
BACA supporter.

In love.

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:55 pm

The Sandersmen wrote:
(Image)

Character Position/Role/Job: National Director of the Working Families Party (2017 -), Speechwriter for Rashid Baharia (2008-2010), Baharia New York Primary Campaign Strategist (2008)
Appearance:
Main Strengths: Strong union connections, dynamic/eloquent, balances strategy and ideology
Main Weaknesses: Her ties to unions are sometimes a liability; for example, teacher unions have been attributed as a main reason for the decline of public schools in NY, and she's seen as too beholden to union interests. She sometimes angers hardcore progressives when she makes the WFP play it safe.
Biography: Giselle grew up in Long Beach, on the South Shore of Long Island, NY, the daughter of Caribbean immigrants. Her mother was a nurse and her father an electrician — both union members. She went to a zone school, where she was a decent student. She graduated and then completed her undergraduate degree at Lehman College, a part of the City University of New York (CUNY); most of her educational costs were subsidized or won by scholarship. She completed graduate school at NYU in 2001, receiving a degree in political science.

From that time until 2014, Giselle worked closely with several state political organizers and institutions. In 2002 she was hired as technical director for the New York State Democrats, helping to manage social media and netroots relations. From 2005-2006 she worked as a consultant for the newly-formed political action committee, Democracy for America. Giselle was also part of the extended WFP for years, working closely with the New York party on Long Island elections in 2007. She was a strong supporter of Rashid Baharia in 2008, volunteering for his campaign and serving on his New York campaign strategy team. She was soon promoted as one of Senator Baharia's speechwriters. When he emerged victorious in 2008, she was hired as an official speechwriter in the White House.

But Giselle quickly became disillusioned with the new President when she realized that he wasn't following the progressive, idealistic path that his campaign had paved. She resigned at the end of his first, and became reinvolved in the Working Families Party. She was hired onto the decision-making board of the WFP. In 2011 she was an outspoken attendant at the Occupy Wall Street Protests. And after the sudden string of police-brutality-related events in 2014, she became a well-known member of the Black Lives Matter movement. In 2015 she started her own communications firm to popularize the movement; she continued to serve as a senior board member in the WFP. Finally, after the retirement of the former national director for the Working Families Party, Giselle was selected by the party to be the new national director, given her vast amount of experience in government strategy. She has been known for being effective at communicating progressive goals in a logical fashion without deviating dramatically from idealism. Her experience in communication with the NY State Democrats, her speechwriting for Baharia, and her communications firm has helped her with this.

The WFP remains a kingmaker for progressive candidates and their endorsement is highly valued. The institution has received some backlash for sometimes compromising with centrists to get closer to progressive goals, but the WFP is still recognized as a vital institution for progressives.

Other Info: She's married to the director of AFL-CIO, a big federation of NY trade unions. They have two children.

Hey, I heard a while ago that my app was submitted for approval by the OP. I'm seeing that people who submitted after me are getting accepted. Did the OP see the app?

Looking over it now.

New Orleans, Louisiana.

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:31 pm

The Sandersmen wrote:
(Image)

Appearance:

Since the rest appear rather absent tonight, I'm going to comment that I don't see many major issues with the application as it is presented, though I do have one minor concern that can easily be remedied.

I know you said her being married to the director of the AFL-CIO is anticipated to be more of a weakness than a benefit, or an attempt at "stacking." I would certainly like to know more about what you have in mind there. As it stands, it is a major high-level position, and one that carries a lot of weight in the form of endorsements, and I wonder if you would be open to simply a high-level position within the organization to achieve the same anticipated effects without necessarily being the director of it (to assuage concerns of "stacking" up on your character).
Last edited by Imperial Esplanade on Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Orleans, Louisiana.

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Imperial Esplanade wrote:If anyone would like to take a peek, to potentially co-sponsor, the Constitutional Amendment Davenport will be introducing, message me to let me know.

IRL deadline to let me know on this is tomorrow evening. I hope to post it then so as to move on to completing the finishing touches on the Warrick application by then as well.
Last edited by Imperial Esplanade on Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New Orleans, Louisiana.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:34 pm

(Image)

Appearance: (Photo preferred, not required) (Image)
Biography:

Other Info:
Unoffendable.
Extreme nationalist.

There. Everything fixed.

alright i'm going to be honest here, i do not think you know enough about american politics to play a senator. I would however let you play a member of the house of representatives

The Sandersmen
Secretary

Founded: Jan 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sandersmen » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:32 pm

Imperial Esplanade wrote:
The Sandersmen wrote:
(Image)

Appearance:

Since the rest appear rather absent tonight, I'm going to comment that I don't see many major issues with the application as it is presented, though I do have one minor concern that can easily be remedied.

I know you said her being married to the director of the AFL-CIO is anticipated to be more of a weakness than a benefit, or an attempt at "stacking." I would certainly like to know more about what you have in mind there. As it stands, it is a major high-level position, and one that carries a lot of weight in the form of endorsements, and I wonder if you would be open to simply a high-level position within the organization to achieve the same anticipated effects without necessarily being the director of it (to assuage concerns of "stacking" up on your character).

Yeah, I’ll just change him to a lower position within the organization. That seems appropriate.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:52 am

Dentali wrote:
Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth wrote:There. Everything fixed.

alright i'm going to be honest here, i do not think you know enough about american politics to play a senator. I would however let you play a member of the house of representatives

:meh:
Could you point out what I don't know enough, my good sir?
EMT for Moreau EMS Squad
Gun lover (clearly).
Teenage former rebel.
BACA supporter.

In love.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:05 am

Dentali wrote:

:meh:
Could you point out what I don't know enough, my good sir?

term lengths for offices, the partisanship of new york, the vagueness of his political positions, the number of times we have had to edit the app

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:23 am

why is my app now being ignored
Left Without Edge

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse