NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: An American Political Roleplay (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am

Velahor wrote:I’m really really tempted to create a Presidential race character. Not quite sure which lanes to play though. What is there more room for?
-Ron Paul/Justin Amash-style GOP anti-Wolf constitutionalist, but with the twist that it’s a woman
-GOP “favorite son” candidate in a western blue state like Oregon, who leans quite moderate
-Pacific Northwest environmentalist Democrat
-Populist Democrat loosely based off of the disgraced Papa John’s CEO trying to secure Baharian-Wolf voters

Which do you think is most needed?

1. You can but they would go nowhere
2. Favorite son's arent a thing anymore, but it would be interesting to see a 21st century version of one
3. We kinda have that in Caldwell
4. Interesting stuff
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:29 am

Velahor wrote:I’m really really tempted to create a Presidential race character. Not quite sure which lanes to play though. What is there more room for?
-Ron Paul/Justin Amash-style GOP anti-Wolf constitutionalist, but with the twist that it’s a woman
-GOP “favorite son” candidate in a western blue state like Oregon, who leans quite moderate
-Populist Democrat loosely based off of the disgraced Papa John’s CEO trying to secure Baharian-Wolf voters

I’d suggest a Republican, not enough of them in the race.
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:31 am

Uhhh

Interesting position by Westra to double down on the abolition of NATO and to consider bringing the US into the Belt and Road initiative...
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:40 am

Meelducan wrote:

I’d suggest a Republican, not enough of them in the race.

almost as many as dems now

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:42 am

Sanabel wrote:Uhhh

Interesting position by Westra to double down on the abolition of NATO and to consider bringing the US into the Belt and Road initiative...

Azek? If this gets any headway in the news cycle Westra's polling will crater, between this and the abortion stuff.

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:43 am

Dentali wrote:
Meelducan wrote:I’d suggest a Republican, not enough of them in the race.

I may, as time permits, construct a Republican out of pieces of the two GOPers above, but probably quite different. It’s something I’m going to take a little time to consider.
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:44 am

What is the biggest open ideological lane in the GOP Primary right now? Obviously the right-populists are well-represented and it appears moderates are too.

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:44 am

Velahor wrote:
Dentali wrote:

I may, as time permits, construct a Republican out of pieces of the two GOPers above, but probably quite different. It’s something I’m going to take a little time to consider.

Its getting late in terms of announcements. Maybe make a mayor, we have business people, congresspeople, senators, governors and cabinet officials running. No mayors

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:46 am

Velahor wrote:What is the biggest open ideological lane in the GOP Primary right now? Obviously the right-populists are well-represented and it appears moderates are too.

2 moderates/traditional cons and mostly populists, Porter is going for the alt right and Burgun is apparently going for evangelicals now. However the question is what lane is the biggest? Tea party lane is pretty much empty

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:46 am

Velahor wrote:What is the biggest open ideological lane in the GOP Primary right now? Obviously the right-populists are well-represented and it appears moderates are too.

Republican Pete Buttigieg

Also, an actual ideological libertarian like Ron Paul

The other thing we do not have is a true Ted Cruz style Tea Partier

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Azekopolaltion » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:47 am

Dentali wrote:
Sanabel wrote:Uhhh

Azek? If this gets any headway in the news cycle Westra's polling will crater, between this and the abortion stuff.

ok I seriously doubt how much the average voter gives a shit about nAtO and bRi
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:49 am

Azekopolaltion wrote:
Dentali wrote:

NATO has an approval rating of almost 80%

And most voters don’t care about foreign policy, true

But the pundits on the media they consume will be ripping this apart which will turn off a lot of voters

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:51 am

Dentali wrote:

2 moderates/traditional cons and mostly populists, Porter is going for the alt right and Burgun is apparently going for evangelicals now. However the question is what lane is the biggest? Tea party lane is pretty much empty

Porter, once the Nazi label wears off, will run towards the evangelical lane. Campaign on overturning Obergefell v. Hodges, overturning Roe v. Wade and a full ban on comprehensive sex education.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:51 am

Azekopolaltion wrote:
Dentali wrote:

the media would be circulating this and giving him a ton of bad press, no one wants this. Yea foreign policy is not typically a key issue in elections but aligning with china and dealigning with NATO after Trump/Wolf cozying up with Russia?

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:52 am

Sanabel wrote:

I was planning on having Vohoffsky run earlier in the cycle, but it's too late for that.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am

Dentali wrote:

Hmmm...I might have spent my best Tea Party idea on Texas. I might aim for the first of the things I listed above but lose the public anti-Wolf sentiment for instead tacit disapproval, that would line up on the Tea Party side especially with the right marketing.

Sanabel wrote:

Hmmm...I’d run the actual libertarian or the Tea Partier, or someone marketing to both lanes. Leaning toward the former because my other GOPer is pure Tea Party Texan.

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:13 am

Dentali wrote:

2. Favorite son's arent a thing anymore, but it would be interesting to see a 21st century version of one
4. Interesting stuff

I'm sort of aiming for 3, with Spellman since Vaquas' Caldwell looks like they'll be inactive but mixed with some Yang/Williamson outsider status.

Here for review:

Character Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: Xath

Character Name: Martin Spellman

Character Gender: Male

Character Age: 61

Character Height: 6'4''

Character Weight: 217

Character Position/Role/Job: Actor (2003 - Present), Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) Scientific Director for Enviromental Economics (1996 - 2004), EDF Scientific Consultant for Oceans (1990 - 1996), Post-Doc Researcher at Oregan State (1986 - 1990)

Appearance: Image

Character State of Origin: Washington State

Character State of Residence: California

Character Party Affiliation: Independent (1992 - 1999), Democrat (1999 - Present)

Main Strengths: High name recognition, known science communicator and advocate of action against climate change, connections to business and celebrity circles in California

Main Weaknesses: Outsider to politics, little experience in campaigning and no infrastructure, most views beyond climate change are unformed or superficial, history with addiction (covered up by his publicity agents)

Biography:

Martin Spellman was born in 1958 to a middle-class family, with nothing spectacular about them. His father worked in construction and his mom, a high school science teacher. They were a caring family and given their desire to have no more than a single child, Martin grew up in a lonely way but perhaps more independent than other children. He learned how to read quickly and became an alert student at an early age. His interest in the outdoors was demonstrated by his love of fishing with his father. Middle school and high school quickly went by for the young student as he went to the University of Washington for college. Choosing to study biology and go the premedical route, partly at the suggestion of his mother, he threw himself into his studies. It was at this point that he found his wife, Lucy Winters, his lab partner in an introductory biology class. Their relationship blossomed as he quickly realized that he did not want to practice medicine. But he was bent on graduate school, as his mother had been unable to do the same. He saw this as needing to take the opportunity not afforded to her.

Being accepted into the Oregon State University Ph.D. program in Environmental Science, he proposed to Lucy and moved with her. Lucy’s degree in special education helped her find a job in the area, thus they eloped to stay together. As for Martin’s decision to study ES, he found it a way to recall his childhood and had become intrigued by the environmentalist movement around him, beating out a potential graduate path in biology which he saw as too boring and not impactful enough. This only grew as he began his studies and embarked on his Ph.D. in fishery wellness in the Pacific Northwest, specific to salmon migration. Completing his work, he chose to stay at the institution taking a more independent role in the project. He continued to work in the field, developing connections with many political groups advocating for greater environmental laws as well as other scientists across the West. His work often led to being a voice for greater regulation and due to the major impact of fishing in the region, he would often be called to be an expert witness with government agencies. Spellman also saw a greater amount of advocacy towards the end of his tenure at Oregon State, eventually receiving an offer to be a scientific consultant with the Environmental Defense Fund in Sacramento.

With some ardent convincing, the Spellmans were convinced to move from their home down to California. It was at this point that Lucy became pregnant and thus, in their new home, they welcomed their new daughter. Martin continued to do scientific work with the EDF, using his experience in the field and in research to help compile information about oceans and trends of waterways relating to American industries or American policies. He essentially served as the main source of the science for the advocacy work that the organization did regarding the oceans and coastal areas. He became more passionate about the subject and by the late 90’s, he had begun transitioning his expertise towards policies. He had helped craft many of them and thus, at the behest of his team and other scientists in the organization, he accepted the position of Scientific Director for Environmental Economics. It certainly put him out of his element as he suddenly went from a job dabbling in economics to one more focused on this topic. He struggled at first but found himself enjoying it as the new century began.

Soon after, due to the Director project taking more time and unable to coordinate from Sacramento, the family moved to San Francisco to the headquarters of the EDF in the West. It was also here were, at the push of Lucy, the pair of Spellmans began to take acting classes. They quickly grew to befriend others there, eventually hosting frequent parties after classes to not only have fun but fill their home as their daughter grew up. It was at this moment that one of their close friends broke through, landing a major role in a film though admittedly, they had been doing more to become an actor than the rests (including the Spellmans) who saw it as a hobby. Nonetheless, as their career began and their friendship continued, this breakthrough returned to Martin, convincing him to star in a minor role as a scientist, wanting him to try it out. Though reluctant, his midlife crisis moved him enough to try to do it to give him a new resurgence of life. And it did, giving him a drive for more roles and with the scientific background, he began to gain other smaller roles.

Finally, in 2004, he left the EDF as he scored a regular appearance in a medical drama in Los Angeles that would last several seasons into 2008. He enjoyed the acting and with Lucy enjoying the new Martin Spellman, he continued to build his filmography record starring in his first non-scientists/doctor role in early 2007 as a minor role before scoring a family movie in 2009. It was also at this moment that he began to heavily drink and rumored to have dabbled in other illegal substances. Lucy and Martin’s agent often fought as the situation deteriorated, a rough year for the family. Eventually, following half a year’s absence from acting, he remerged from therapy and rehab though none of this was officially confirmed nor disclosed. Taking a new take on life and renewed balance, Martin continued to act in movies with larger roles and a revival of the medical show. He continued to gain notoriety and using this, he became a famed user of social media as a way to educate about science. He has become a known scientist celebrity, promoting ways to combat climate change and often using his status to bolster issues across the United States and the world. He has also helped fund and has directly donated towards STEM education and ways to address climate change. It has become his signature issue.

Other Info: Several environmental groups and close friends, knowing Martin Spellman’s scientific and advocacy background, are actively courting him to enter the 2020 Democratic primary presidential race to help establish several policies as mainstream. They believe his celebrity status will make him viable without the regular tarnish of a politician’s ‘other’ views. Some in the political circles in California and in environmental groups will certainly know of this rumor.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Federal States of Xathuecia

Do Not Remove: 84721
Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:15 am

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:
Dentali wrote:

4. Interesting stuff

I'm sort of aiming for 3, with Spellman since Vaquas' Caldwell looks like they'll be inactive but mixed with some Yang/Williamson outsider status.

Here for review:

Character Position/Role/Job: Actor (2003 - Present), Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) Scientific Director for Enviromental Economics (1996 - 2004), EDF Scientific Consultant for Oceans (1990 - 1996), Post-Doc Researcher at Oregan State (1986 - 1990)

Character Party Affiliation: Independent (1992 - 1999), Democrat (1999 - Present)

Main Strengths: High name recognition, known science communicator and advocate of action against climate change, connections to business and celebrity circles in California

Main Weaknesses: Outsider to politics, little experience in campaigning and no infrastructure, most views beyond climate change are unformed or superficial, history with addiction (covered up by his publicity agents)

Biography:

Martin Spellman was born in 1958 to a middle-class family, with nothing spectacular about them. His father worked in construction and his mom, a high school science teacher. They were a caring family and given their desire to have no more than a single child, Martin grew up in a lonely way but perhaps more independent than other children. He learned how to read quickly and became an alert student at an early age. His interest in the outdoors was demonstrated by his love of fishing with his father. Middle school and high school quickly went by for the young student as he went to the University of Washington for college. Choosing to study biology and go the premedical route, partly at the suggestion of his mother, he threw himself into his studies. It was at this point that he found his wife, Lucy Winters, his lab partner in an introductory biology class. Their relationship blossomed as he quickly realized that he did not want to practice medicine. But he was bent on graduate school, as his mother had been unable to do the same. He saw this as needing to take the opportunity not afforded to her.

Being accepted into the Oregon State University Ph.D. program in Environmental Science, he proposed to Lucy and moved with her. Lucy’s degree in special education helped her find a job in the area, thus they eloped to stay together. As for Martin’s decision to study ES, he found it a way to recall his childhood and had become intrigued by the environmentalist movement around him, beating out a potential graduate path in biology which he saw as too boring and not impactful enough. This only grew as he began his studies and embarked on his Ph.D. in fishery wellness in the Pacific Northwest, specific to salmon migration. Completing his work, he chose to stay at the institution taking a more independent role in the project. He continued to work in the field, developing connections with many political groups advocating for greater environmental laws as well as other scientists across the West. His work often led to being a voice for greater regulation and due to the major impact of fishing in the region, he would often be called to be an expert witness with government agencies. Spellman also saw a greater amount of advocacy towards the end of his tenure at Oregon State, eventually receiving an offer to be a scientific consultant with the Environmental Defense Fund in Sacramento.

With some ardent convincing, the Spellmans were convinced to move from their home down to California. It was at this point that Lucy became pregnant and thus, in their new home, they welcomed their new daughter. Martin continued to do scientific work with the EDF, using his experience in the field and in research to help compile information about oceans and trends of waterways relating to American industries or American policies. He essentially served as the main source of the science for the advocacy work that the organization did regarding the oceans and coastal areas. He became more passionate about the subject and by the late 90’s, he had begun transitioning his expertise towards policies. He had helped craft many of them and thus, at the behest of his team and other scientists in the organization, he accepted the position of Scientific Director for Environmental Economics. It certainly put him out of his element as he suddenly went from a job dabbling in economics to one more focused on this topic. He struggled at first but found himself enjoying it as the new century began.

Soon after, due to the Director project taking more time and unable to coordinate from Sacramento, the family moved to San Francisco to the headquarters of the EDF in the West. It was also here were, at the push of Lucy, the pair of Spellmans began to take acting classes. They quickly grew to befriend others there, eventually hosting frequent parties after classes to not only have fun but fill their home as their daughter grew up. It was at this moment that one of their close friends broke through, landing a major role in a film though admittedly, they had been doing more to become an actor than the rests (including the Spellmans) who saw it as a hobby. Nonetheless, as their career began and their friendship continued, this breakthrough returned to Martin, convincing him to star in a minor role as a scientist, wanting him to try it out. Though reluctant, his midlife crisis moved him enough to try to do it to give him a new resurgence of life. And it did, giving him a drive for more roles and with the scientific background, he began to gain other smaller roles.

Finally, in 2004, he left the EDF as he scored a regular appearance in a medical drama in Los Angeles that would last several seasons into 2008. He enjoyed the acting and with Lucy enjoying the new Martin Spellman, he continued to build his filmography record starring in his first non-scientists/doctor role in early 2007 as a minor role before scoring a family movie in 2009. It was also at this moment that he began to heavily drink and rumored to have dabbled in other illegal substances. Lucy and Martin’s agent often fought as the situation deteriorated, a rough year for the family. Eventually, following half a year’s absence from acting, he remerged from therapy and rehab though none of this was officially confirmed nor disclosed. Taking a new take on life and renewed balance, Martin continued to act in movies with larger roles and a revival of the medical show. He continued to gain notoriety and using this, he became a famed user of social media as a way to educate about science. He has become a known scientist celebrity, promoting ways to combat climate change and often using his status to bolster issues across the United States and the world. He has also helped fund and has directly donated towards STEM education and ways to address climate change. It has become his signature issue.

Other Info: Several environmental groups and close friends, knowing Martin Spellman’s scientific and advocacy background, are actively courting him to enter the 2020 Democratic primary presidential race to help establish several policies as mainstream. They believe his celebrity status will make him viable without the regular tarnish of a politician’s ‘other’ views. Some in the political circles in California and in environmental groups will certainly know of this rumor.

Are you going to run Neil Degrasse Tyson?

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:19 am

Dentali wrote:

Here for review:

Biography:

Are you going to run Neil Degrasse Tyson?

Yes. But sexier.

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:38 am

What’s the most libertarian congressional district in the US? Texas 35th looks promising, also OK-7, Wyoming At-Large, and KY-3.

If I’m looking at states as a whole, Montana, Alaska, and New Hampshire are also promising.

Which of these places has the best chance of consistently re-electing an ideologically consistent Ron Paul level GOP libertarian?

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:47 am

Velahor wrote:What’s the most libertarian congressional district in the US? Texas 35th looks promising, also OK-7, Wyoming At-Large, and KY-3.

If I’m looking at states as a whole, Montana, Alaska, and New Hampshire are also promising.

Which of these places has the best chance of consistently re-electing an ideologically consistent Ron Paul level GOP libertarian?

MI-3

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:48 am

Dentali wrote:

4. Interesting stuff

Here for review:

Biography:

I'm ready to accept but ill double check

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:01 am

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi wrote:
Velahor wrote:What’s the most libertarian congressional district in the US? Texas 35th looks promising, also OK-7, Wyoming At-Large, and KY-3.

MI-3

Good choice as well. I’ve always wondered why exactly MI-3 is libertarian enough to elect Amash. It doesn’t fit the typical profile.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:03 am

Oh wow, that Westra interview is... incredibly bad.
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Azekopolaltion » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:09 am

Dentali wrote:
Azekopolaltion wrote:

the media would be circulating this and giving him a ton of bad press, no one wants this. Yea foreign policy is not typically a key issue in elections but aligning with china and dealigning with NATO after Trump/Wolf cozying up with Russia?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/20 ... ith-russia

This was not one of the things that cratered his campaign.
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse