NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: An American Political Roleplay (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:48 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Sanabel wrote:An estate in New Haven is like having an estate in Detroit

New Haven County, not the city. It's in rural New Haven County. Probably should've clarified.

Oh ok, there are nice areas there
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:24 am

I think Goldman has far less strength with the white working class than she realizes

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:26 am

Sanabel wrote:I think Goldman has far less strength with the white working class than she realizes

It's her target demographic, she's offering them jobs and upliftment from poverty.

It might not be her best, but that's her target so she doesn't leech from other moderates.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:33 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Sanabel wrote:I think Goldman has far less strength with the white working class than she realizes

It's her target demographic, she's offering them jobs and upliftment from poverty.

It might not be her best, but that's her target so she doesn't leech from other moderates.

That comes off as insanely patrician you realize

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:49 am

Hey Meel

Uhh

That’s not his char model anymore I changed it

It’s been Brian Sandoval since December or whenever I started posting with him
Last edited by Sanabel on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 am

Sanabel wrote:Hey Meel

Uhh

It's fine, they're similar enough.

I'm just happy that I haven't released the New England/West Coast ad's yet.

Next ad cycle, I'll change them :)
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

The Nordic Model
Attaché

Founded: Nov 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nordic Model » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 am

I'm back, can someone give me a rundown of any major events that happened

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 am

The Nordic Model wrote:I'm back, can someone give me a rundown of any major events that happened

John Donaldson got engaged!!!
Marianne 2024:

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 am

Meelducan wrote:
Sanabel wrote:Hey Meel

Uhh

It's fine, they're similar enough.

I'm just happy that I haven't released the New England/West Coast ad's yet.

Next ad cycle, I'll change them :)

I guess Velez can thank Donaldson for boosting his relatively low name recognition

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 am

Goldman should just focus on white middle class suburbanites that is where her base is not factory workers from Michigan

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 am

The Nordic Model wrote:I'm back, can someone give me a rundown of any major events that happened

Arnold Wolf Jr just entered into the race on the republican side and Governor of Florida Mike Velez on the Dem side and Velez got the endorsement of Helen Whitaker who had been leading theoretical polls.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:01 am

I’m working on invites to the party now
Marianne 2024:

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:09 am

Character Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: Latvijas Otra Republika
Character Name: Erwin Allister Easton
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 68
Character Height: 5ft 8
Character Weight: 75 Kg
Character Position/Role/Job: Senator from Rhode Island (2007-Present)
Professor of Political Science at Rhode Island University (1998-2005)
Rhode Island Secretary of State (1994-1998)
Rhode Island Democratic Party Field Organizer (1993-1994)
Lecturer of Political Philosophy at Harvard University (1984-1993)
Appearance:

Character State of Origin: Waterville, Maine
Character State of Residence: Providence, Rhode Island
Character Party Affiliation: Democrat (1970-Present)
Main Strengths: Educated academic, tied to the democratic establishment, working-class New England background, upholds principles of professional conduct in his career, decent name recognition in areas of the North-West
Main Weaknesses: 1987 controversy about making a 'misinterpreted' remark regarding a black student in a lecture, difficulties energising base or different groups due to age, difficulties in properly connecting with audiences socially due to lengthy dragged out speech, little appeal to the youth or minorities, signs of dementia
Biography:

Born in 1951 February 4th, to a Maine family with four other siblings supported by a father committed to a manual labour and a waitress mother, he initially showed no signs of intelligence or academic capability. It's not until Waterville High School that he developed a hand in analysing and pursuits of study, not a typical trait of the Easton family. Having achieved a high GPA and overall grades he went on to successfully apply for a scholarships in the New York University as to study Politics, later only receiving a PhD in the field in 1984. As a result of this he had been offered a place as a lecturer in Harvard, he moved into Waltham to begin his work in the university from there. During this period he also heavily participated in Democrat volunteering in his local area, participating in events such as fundraisers and standard door-to-door knocks.

His credentials went into jeopardy in 1987, when making an off-hand remark, he alluded to a black person being related to a monkey. This came after a few passive jokes were made against him by the aforementioned student. This event stirred some dissent in the student body, near enough threatening his job position with the demands of a few that were offended. Due to his established connections with the Professors and educators of Harvard his job was saved, though at expense of him announcing a public apology and writing a personal apology letter to the student he had targeted. During this time he also began to travel and volunteer around New England's local Democratic parties, later being noticed by the higher-ups of the Rhode Island Democratic Party and being given the then-recently vacant position of 'Field Organizer' in the local party for his persistent efforts in fundraising and spreading awareness.

After the 1994 RI Gubernatorial elections in Rhode Island he was a prime candidate for Secretary of State, due to prestigious educational brass and former working class affiliations. He had also managed to garner some organisational skill from his previous position in the local party. He served a single term relatively quiet, managing to establish himself a decent place among the more senior and powerful member of the state's Democratic leadership. Having both the experiences of being a lecturer and a politician, he submitted an application to Rhode Island University for the position of professor. His acceptance and subsequent years in the position weren't of much note, except for him marrying an ordinary woman named Marianne after they had met in an obscure bar.

He resigned his position in 2005, due to his re-garnered interest in politics. He also focused on writing a political manifesto titled the 'Easton Principle'. In this work he highlights his own personal viewpoints in intricate detail, expressing views in favour of public healthcare. He also expressed ecological & environmental concerns, improvements in public transport infrastructure & management, support for free trade, progressive tax structure, raising minimum wage with a tone highlighting his background in a working-class New England household.

Seeing the 2006 RI Senate Election approaching he decided to run, his main election theme being experience in & around politics and his personal Progressive views. He had garnered some support & endorsements from his previous colleagues during the primary race, contributing him winning the Democratic race by 81.53% with 69,290 votes. He went against a standing Republican senator, winning only just by 53.52% with 206,043 votes. He has been incumbent ever since, facing little internal or external threats in the 2012 and 2018 elections. He has since taken the persona of an authoritative 'highly intellectual' senator in an attempt to garner more respect or public support.

Other Info: As of late he has slight signs of dementia can be seen in his mannerisms and speech.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Latvijas Otra Republika

Do Not Remove: 84721
Last edited by Latvijas Otra Republika on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:09 am

the most boring human being on the planet.
Last edited by Latvijas Otra Republika on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:06 am

Agarntrop wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:

*Sigh*
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:07 am

Agarntrop wrote:
(Image)

NS Nation Name: Agarntrop
Character Name: Dr. Maximus "Max" Smith
Character Age: 50
Character Height: 6' 0''
Character Weight: 180lbs
Character Position/Role/Job: Representative for Arizona's 23rd State Legislative District (2007-09), United States Representative for Arizona's 6th Congressional District (2011-19), Member of United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on Housing, Community Development and Insurance (2011-19), Vice Chair of United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on Housing, Community Development and Insurance (2013/2015-19), Member of the United States House Financial Services Committee (2011-19), Governor of Arizona (2019-)
Appearance:
Character State of Origin: Arizona
Character State of Residence: Arizona
Character Party Affiliation: Republican (1987-), Democratic (1985-87)
Main Strengths: Polite, Flexibile, has a long temper, composed, knowledgeable.
Main Weaknesses: Indecisive, boring, allows people to "walk all over him".
Biography:
Smith was born in 1969 in Fountain Hills, Arizona, the second son of Michael Maximus Smith, a USAF commander, and his wife Mary Smith (née Jones), a teacher. The family travelled much, following Smith's father on NATO postings, including in Germany, Italy, and Norway.
Smith was educated at two private schools: Scottsdale Christian Academy and Bourgade Catholic High School, both in Pheonix, at both of which he was Class President. He had two brothers, who also attended Scottsdale Christian Academy. Their family supported the Democratic Party, and Smith ran (and lost) as a Democrat at a school mock election in 1985; two years later he joined the Young Republicans.

He then attended Yale University where he received a PhD in political science in 1995. He gained a Kennedy Scholarship to study at Harvard University between 1996 and 1997.
After graduating from Harvard, Smith worked as a trader of oil and refined products with Exxon from 1997 to 1999, and later ExxonMobil in 1999 and the year 2000. Smith used the connections he had built up to be self-employed from 2001 to 2005, acting as a consultant and adviser to foreign governments on oil supplies, shipping and refining.

In 2003, Smith set up the independent Walker Consultants, which advises on oil and gas matters. He made over $1 million after helping fill the need to supply oil to Pakistan after supplies had been disrupted in the Iraq War.
Smith was an active member of the Arizona Republican Party from 1994 until 1998, but did not return to politics until 2006, when he was elected as a member of the Arizona House of Representatives for the 23rd State Legislative District.

House of Representatives
Smith first stood for Congress as a Republican candidate in the 2008 general election, unsuccessfully contesting Arizona's 7th Congressional District. For the 2010 midterm election he was selected as the Republican candidate for Arizona's 6th Congressional district, a safe Republican seat, which he retained with a 66% share of the votes cast. In the general election of 2012, his proportion of the vote was reduced to 61% but has since increased to 65% in 2014 but decreased again to 62% in 2016.

From 2011 to 2019, Smith was a member of the United States House Financial Services Committee, in particular Subcommittee on Housing, Community Development and Insurance. His first authoritative position was as Vice Chair of the Subcommittee, a position he obtained at the start of the 113th Congress in January 2013. He resigned from the position within a month, after it emerged that he had used federal welfare programmes to make profits on property deals. It emerged that he had lent his elderly next-door neighbour money to buy his home under welfare legislation. The neighbour bought a 1920s federally-subsidised property at a significant discount and sold it to Smith just over three years later.

He returned to authority in July 2015, when he was again appointed vice chair of the Subcommittee on Housing, Community Development and Insurance. In November 2015, Smith performed a citizen's arrest on a protester who threw paint and flour at him after he was spotted walking to his office rather than taking the Congressional Subway.

He supported (not-Marco Rubio) in the 2016 Presidential Primaries, but pledged his full support to Wolf in the general. He announced he would not be seeking re-election for the House of Representatives in 2018 after running for governor of Arizona.

Governor of Arizona
Smith was the first major candidate to announce his intention to run for the Arizona Governorship after [not-Doug Ducey] was mentally and physically permanently paralysed by a car accident in 2018. His campaign centred around a tough-on-crime approach and introducing new tax cuts for small businesses. He went on to win both the primaries and the general, but both by an extremely narrow margin of less than 5% in both cases.

Other Info:
He is a practising Roman Catholic.

He has been married to Jane Knox, an abstract artist, since 2005. They have two children.
Overall: Socially Moderately conservative, Fiscally Ultraconservative

Gun Control
Strongly Against
Quotes - "Gun violence is more related with social-economic issues than with gun control."
"To determine that the US' abnormally high crime rate is caused merely due to lax gun control and not because of structural matters of social-economic nature (e.g: the proliferation of gang subcultures and the traditional inequality between different communities) is an oversimplification."
"The Czech Republic managed to reduce its crime rate by instituting a more lax legislation regarding gun control, too."
"I don’t defend lax gun control primarily due to their potential use in case of a tyrannical ruler taking power, although I do believe they would be a valuable resource in case that situation ever happened."
"Chávez himself strengthened gun control regulations in Venezuela in 2012, and now the Venezuelan population regrets their lack of opposition to that law."
"A gun in the hands of a responsible, law-abiding citizen is a force for good. Which is why gun control is ineffective as it effectively stops those citizens from acquiring a gun while allowing terrorists and criminals to access them in the black market, and therefore, to have an advantage over regular citizens."
"Generally speaking, American countries tend to have higher crime as the result of more economic inequality initially caused because of the former division of society between natives, colonists and slaves. And the US is no exception to that. Countries such as Switzerland, Austria or the Czech Republic have lax gun control, yet are very safe countries."

Same-Sex Marriage
Mixed Position/Leans In Favour
Quotes - "I personally believe that same-sex marriage should be legal (although I find the state staying away from it altogether preferable)."
"I wouldn’t say being opposed to same-sex marriage is necessarily homophobic, as much as I support it."
"I would say the state should stay away from the institution of marriage, but otherwise same-sex marriage should be legal."
"I am in favor of same-sex marriage, although I believe the ideal scenario would be for the state to leave the institution of marriage and just limit to recognize it through civil unions (as well as all other non-romantic unions)."
"Civil unions should be a legal régime available to all couples of individuals (not necessarily bonded by love)."
"Well, to be fair, everyone should be free to have their own conception of marriage, it's just that the state shouldn't deny anyone the capability to access the legal régime of civil unions nor impose a particular nomenclature for it."

Immigration
Mixed Position/Leans Against
Quotes - "Well, immigration in large numbers tends to be negative in most instances as well, to be fair. Mainly because it can provoke a growth in crime."
"I believe that immigration can be positive in the right conditions, just not illegally, in large numbers or from nations whose key values differ from that of the host country."
"A legal, controlled flow of immigration is in fact positive for a nation."
"A balance is needed when it comes to immigration."
"The US has been able to establish such a stable multicultural nation, because its immigrants usually adopted the cornerstone values it had."
"I’m indifferent to multiculturalism as long as immigrants and/or new citizens adapt themselves in a proper manner to our country, respecting our lifestyle."
"I think we should judge the criminal impact of ilegal immigration by numbers rather than by particular cases. Mainly to respect the family and friends of the victims of such cases."
"Immigration should remain controlled at all times, America can't accept the gigantic amount of people that wants to come here."
"Radical problems unfortunately ask for radical solutions. I don’t like the far-right, but their immigration policy is precisely one of the aspects where they have the most common sense."
"Immigration is in fact economically positive for America."
"I would support a wall along the southern border: it's a migratory bottle neck."

Abortion
Generally Pro-Life
Quotes (in time order) - "I believe abortion on demand should always remain privatized, though. It is the individual responsibility of the person who had it"
"I could only agree with protecting abortion rights. But not by adding that in the state constitution."
"Late term abortions should be performed on life-threatening circumstances only."
"I also believe abortions should be private on all cases except in life-threatening circumstances. A portion of the population shouldn’t be compelled to fund an activity they find immoral."
"I support defundung planned parenthood, but not restricting abortion in the 1st trimester."
"I see nothing wrong with abortion on demand for the first 6 weeks, then only for medical emergencies."
"I’m not in favor of a ban on abortion on demand."
"Healthcare professionals should be consulted whenever elaborating abortion-related legislation."
"As Ronald Reagan said, all advocates of the abortion law have been born. And I may also add that not all the advocates of strict abortion legislation are male."
"I don't think illegalization is the best way to deal with abortion (at least in the US). But the conception that it's a completely harmless process that all society should pay for is certainly wrong and should be replaced by one that regards abortion as a concession (not an inherent right) that is in fact granted for free, responsible acts and have significant consequences to an individual (despite it's in an early stage of development)."
"I honestly no longer can affirm that abortion is a personal issue. After observing pro-life arguments, I do believe that it’s a bio-ethical dilemma at the very least. I’m not necessarily in favor of a total prohibition, but I do believe that it should be reduced given its adverse effects on society. Particularly by emphasizing the value of individual responsibility and sexual maturity."
"Abortion is, by definition, ending the life of an individual with separate genetic information."
"Sexual education is a good way to battle the issue of abortion. A total ban would still allow abortions to take place abroad, and even worse, it could make covert, unsafe abortions widespread."
"Abortions taking place whenever it’s safe for a woman to practice it would be really bad. It would be possible to abort fetus with sensitive capacity and neuronal activity."

Foreign Policy
Strong Interventionist
Quotes - "The USA gets criticism regardless of what we do in terms of foreign policy."
"When a terrorist attack takes place, the media blames the President, bullying and discrimination, society as a whole, the foreign policy of America and many other things. It's the fault of the terrorist, and of none more, that the attack took place."
"The people who complain of the so-called “American intervention” [in Venezuela] seem to curiously ignore the fact that 20,000 Cuban soldiers have been stationed in Venezuela for 10 years."
"An intervention done to return a country its national sovereignty from a dictatorial régime sustained by foreign governments and the military élites is more than justified if you asked me. We should also take into account that Maduro is systematically starving his citizens by militarily avoiding foreign aid to enter the country (and by his horrible economic policy, which made the entrance of it necessary at first). "

War On Drugs
Generally Against, historically Strongly Against
Quotes (in time order) -
"One thing I really defend is all drugs should be legalized (in coffee shops), but they should not be sold to people without the legal age."
"For instance, I defend the legalization of drugs even though I would never take them (not even alcohol)."
"[Drugs] should be legalized because is not a function of the state to protect people from themselves. It is a function of the state, though, to teach people about the dangers of drugs. If people are aware of the dangers of consuming drugs and still want to consume them, the state should let them."
"I think less people would consume drugs if they actually knew the consequences of taking them, even if they are legal."
"I think crime would decrease if we followed Portugal's example, because drug-related violence would experience a decrease as the sector would be properly regulated by the state."
"I don't believe in the legalization of hard drugs as that would facilitate highly toxic substances to enter society and that could harm third parties."
"I have always regarded smoking and consuming drugs as extremely self-harming."
"Drugs being forbidden is bound to prompt an increase in organized crime and offenses resulted from drug addiction."
"Cartels and similar criminal organizations benefit from the illegal status of drugs by exploiting a market that legal operators are unable to access."
"It is important that we counter drug trafficking on the Southern border."

Climate Change
Generally Sceptical
Quotes - "Climate tends to change and global warming isn’t necessarily an entire responsibility of mankind. What I believe would be a better option than the ones the UN and extreme environmentalists are advocating for is building the necessary infrastructure to minimize its possible negative effects while letting the natural transition towards cleaner alternatives (electric cars, renewable and nuclear energy...) take place."
"Anti-vaxxers are much worse than climate change denialists."
"We should rather prepare for a natural, gradual change towards a cleaner Earth (which is what's already taking place in Western Europe and mostly through private initiative, may I add) than let climate change be used by our political leadership to overshadow much relevant issues."
"To effectively stop climate change in the way alarmists would want to, it would be necessary to cripple the industrial base of developing countries. Something which would be very harmful for both developing and already developed nations."
"Climate change protests had actually very low levels of support in Latin America, to put an example. Developing countries will objectively suffer the most, but such effect is dramatized in developed nations."
"Climate change is often exaggerated, especially as a mean to gain political credit. Bold predictions are often used to justify liberticide regulations which have no practical sense other than for political leaders to present themselves as the “saviors” of their respective communities."
"I agree that nuclear energy is the best electrical source."
"Climate change is also not entirely anthropogenic."
"Certain Democrats have used climate change as a political tool."

Taxes
Strongly Against
Quotes - "I would like to have a flat tax, but much lower for people with low income to encourage social mobility through savings."
"When the French government raised taxes for the upper class, people left France for Switzerland."
"I support a lot of policy changes. Lowering taxes, legalizing capital punishment for serious offenses, legalizing free speech, abortion on demand (with time limitations) and marijuana; improving the army for facing any possible threats (assuming they haven't been taken care of before)."
"Tobacco may be a cancer product, but it has an inelastic demand and punitively taxing it will just make it a "subtle" and morally acceptable way of taxing the middle and lower classes."
"I would like the inheritance tax to be abolished all together. You shouldn't pay taxes even after death"
"Inheritance taxes are awful."
"I support Wolf's tax cuts."
"Taxes are inherently bad."
"I support reducing corporate tax to 12.5%."
"I advocate a corporate tax decrease."
"Sales Tax is the most decent tax of them all because it doesn't penalize winning or saving money, I would say."
"Inheritance tax is an unnecessary burden on families and the middle class."
"Wolf's tax policy is brilliant."

Healthcare
Supports Voucher Privatisation
Quotes - "The ideal system for me would be an universal healthcare via vouchers."
"I would support a private healthcare if it was affordable. But fully privatizing healthcare would be, for example, against the Hippocratic Oath which compels doctors to save the life of their patients regardless of any circumstances."
"Access to healthcare is a right, but not necessarily an obligation for taxpayers to fund a person’s health necessities."
"I believe healthcare vouchers would make the system universal while maintaining the factor of efficiency, which is nice."
"The problem with the US is that we don’t have an entirely private system nor an entirely public one."

Death Penalty
Strongly In Favour
Quotes - "I'm not opposed to capital punishment for really bad crimes such as participation in a terrorist attack or mass murder."
"People like Anders Breivik deserve capital punishment."
"School shooters deserve to be ignored and be submitted to capital punishment if you asked me."
"It really is a matter of individual responsibility. If someone is deemed guilty of a crime after a trial with legal guarantees, capital punishment should be an option for the most serious crimes (terrorism, premeditated murder, serial murder...)."
"I would reinforce legal responsibility for crimes committed by minors capable of knowing what they are doing. But I'm not sure if I would do it to the extent of making capital punishment an option for those."
"Capital punishment is a fair punishment for the most gruesome crimes."
"The capital punishment should be an option for the most serious offenses."
"The recognition of full individual freedom also entails full individual responsibility, which is why I support the capital punishment as a mean to institute justice."
"I believe both life imprisonment and capital punishment should coexist."
"If I was elected governor I would resume executions for terrorists, mass murderers, serial murderers and certain first-degree murderers."
"Capital punishment is much fairer, humane and methodical than permanent solitary confinement, which is needless torture for a social creature such as the human."

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Agarntrop

Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 am

Agarntrop wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:
(Image)

NS Nation Name: Agarntrop
Character Name: Dr. Maximus "Max" Smith
Character Age: 50
Character Height: 6' 0''
Character Weight: 180lbs
Character Position/Role/Job: Representative for Arizona's 23rd State Legislative District (2007-09), United States Representative for Arizona's 6th Congressional District (2011-19), Member of United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on Housing, Community Development and Insurance (2011-19), Vice Chair of United States House Financial Services Subcommittee on Housing, Community Development and Insurance (2013/2015-19), Member of the United States House Financial Services Committee (2011-19), Governor of Arizona (2019-)
Appearance:
Character State of Origin: Arizona
Character State of Residence: Arizona
Character Party Affiliation: Republican (1987-), Democratic (1985-87)
Main Strengths: Polite, Flexibile, has a long temper, composed, knowledgeable.
Main Weaknesses: Indecisive, boring, allows people to "walk all over him".
Biography:
Smith was born in 1969 in Fountain Hills, Arizona, the second son of Michael Maximus Smith, a USAF commander (Not a USAF rank), and his wife Mary Smith (née Jones), a teacher. The family travelled much, following Smith's father on NATO postings, including in Germany, Italy, and Norway.
Smith was educated at two private schools: Scottsdale Christian Academy and Bourgade Catholic High School, both in Pheonix, at both of which he was Class President. He had two brothers, who also attended Scottsdale Christian Academy. Their family supported the Democratic Party, and Smith ran (and lost) as a Democrat at a school mock election in 1985; two years later he joined the Young Republicans.

He then attended Yale University where he received a PhD in political science in 1995 (What did he study for his undergraduate degree, and where did he study?). He gained a Kennedy Scholarship to study at Harvard University between 1996 and 1997.
After graduating from Harvard, Smith worked as a trader of oil and refined products with Exxon from 1997 to 1999, and later ExxonMobil in 1999 and the year 2000. Smith used the connections he had built up to be self-employed from 2001 to 2005, acting as a consultant and adviser to foreign governments on oil supplies, shipping and refining. (What was the purpose of his PhD? What motivated him to get it?)

In 2003, Smith set up the independent Walker Consultants, which advises on oil and gas matters. He made over $1 million after helping fill the need to supply oil to Pakistan after supplies had been disrupted in the Iraq War.
Smith was an active member of the Arizona Republican Party from 1994 until 1998, but did not return to politics until 2006, when he was elected as a member of the Arizona House of Representatives for the 23rd State Legislative District.

House of Representatives
Smith first stood for Congress as a Republican candidate in the 2008 general election, unsuccessfully contesting Arizona's 7th Congressional District (Did he lose the primary or the general?). For the 2010 midterm election he was selected as the Republican candidate for Arizona's 6th Congressional district, a safe Republican seat, which he retained with a 66% share of the votes cast. In the general election of 2012, his proportion of the vote was reduced to 61% but has since increased to 65% in 2014 but decreased again to 62% in 2016.

From 2011 to 2019, Smith was a member of the United States House Financial Services Committee, in particular Subcommittee on Housing, Community Development and Insurance. His first authoritative position was as Vice Chair of the Subcommittee, a position he obtained at the start of the 113th Congress in January 2013. He resigned from the position within a month, after it emerged that he had used federal welfare programmes to make profits on property deals. It emerged that he had lent his elderly next-door neighbour money to buy his home under welfare legislation. The neighbour bought a 1920s federally-subsidised property at a significant discount and sold it to Smith just over three years later.

He returned to authority in July 2015, when he was again appointed vice chair of the Subcommittee on Housing, Community Development and Insurance. In November 2015, Smith performed a citizen's arrest on a protester who threw paint and flour at him after he was spotted walking to his office rather than taking the Congressional Subway.

He supported (not-Marco Rubio) in the 2016 Presidential Primaries, but pledged his full support to Wolf in the general. He announced he would not be seeking re-election for the House of Representatives in 2018 after running for governor of Arizona.

Governor of Arizona
Smith was the first major candidate to announce his intention to run for the Arizona Governorship after [not-Doug Ducey] was mentally and physically permanently paralysed by a car accident in 2018. His campaign centred around a tough-on-crime approach and introducing new tax cuts for small businesses. He went on to win both the primaries and the general, but both by an extremely narrow margin of less than 5% in both cases.

Other Info:
He is a practising Roman Catholic.

He has been married to Jane Knox, an abstract artist, since 2005. They have two children.
Overall: Socially Moderately conservative, Fiscally Ultraconservative

Gun Control
Strongly Against
Quotes - "Gun violence is more related with social-economic issues than with gun control."
"To determine that the US' abnormally high crime rate is caused merely due to lax gun control and not because of structural matters of social-economic nature (e.g: the proliferation of gang subcultures and the traditional inequality between different communities) is an oversimplification."
"The Czech Republic managed to reduce its crime rate by instituting a more lax legislation regarding gun control, too."
"I don’t defend lax gun control primarily due to their potential use in case of a tyrannical ruler taking power, although I do believe they would be a valuable resource in case that situation ever happened."
"Chávez himself strengthened gun control regulations in Venezuela in 2012, and now the Venezuelan population regrets their lack of opposition to that law."
"A gun in the hands of a responsible, law-abiding citizen is a force for good. Which is why gun control is ineffective as it effectively stops those citizens from acquiring a gun while allowing terrorists and criminals to access them in the black market, and therefore, to have an advantage over regular citizens."
"Generally speaking, American countries tend to have higher crime as the result of more economic inequality initially caused because of the former division of society between natives, colonists and slaves. And the US is no exception to that. Countries such as Switzerland, Austria or the Czech Republic have lax gun control, yet are very safe countries."

Same-Sex Marriage
Mixed Position/Leans In Favour
Quotes - "I personally believe that same-sex marriage should be legal (although I find the state staying away from it altogether preferable)."
"I wouldn’t say being opposed to same-sex marriage is necessarily homophobic, as much as I support it."
"I would say the state should stay away from the institution of marriage, but otherwise same-sex marriage should be legal."
"I am in favor of same-sex marriage, although I believe the ideal scenario would be for the state to leave the institution of marriage and just limit to recognize it through civil unions (as well as all other non-romantic unions)."
"Civil unions should be a legal régime available to all couples of individuals (not necessarily bonded by love)."
"Well, to be fair, everyone should be free to have their own conception of marriage, it's just that the state shouldn't deny anyone the capability to access the legal régime of civil unions nor impose a particular nomenclature for it."

Immigration
Mixed Position/Leans Against
Quotes - "Well, immigration in large numbers tends to be negative in most instances as well, to be fair. Mainly because it can provoke a growth in crime."
"I believe that immigration can be positive in the right conditions, just not illegally, in large numbers or from nations whose key values differ from that of the host country."
"A legal, controlled flow of immigration is in fact positive for a nation."
"A balance is needed when it comes to immigration."
"The US has been able to establish such a stable multicultural nation, because its immigrants usually adopted the cornerstone values it had."
"I’m indifferent to multiculturalism as long as immigrants and/or new citizens adapt themselves in a proper manner to our country, respecting our lifestyle."
"I think we should judge the criminal impact of ilegal immigration by numbers rather than by particular cases. Mainly to respect the family and friends of the victims of such cases."
"Immigration should remain controlled at all times, America can't accept the gigantic amount of people that wants to come here."
"Radical problems unfortunately ask for radical solutions. I don’t like the far-right, but their immigration policy is precisely one of the aspects where they have the most common sense."
"Immigration is in fact economically positive for America."
"I would support a wall along the southern border: it's a migratory bottle neck."

Abortion
Generally Pro-Life
Quotes (in time order) - "I believe abortion on demand should always remain privatized, though. It is the individual responsibility of the person who had it"
"I could only agree with protecting abortion rights. But not by adding that in the state constitution."
"Late term abortions should be performed on life-threatening circumstances only."
"I also believe abortions should be private on all cases except in life-threatening circumstances. A portion of the population shouldn’t be compelled to fund an activity they find immoral."
"I support defundung planned parenthood, but not restricting abortion in the 1st trimester."
"I see nothing wrong with abortion on demand for the first 6 weeks, then only for medical emergencies."
"I’m not in favor of a ban on abortion on demand."
"Healthcare professionals should be consulted whenever elaborating abortion-related legislation."
"As Ronald Reagan said, all advocates of the abortion law have been born. And I may also add that not all the advocates of strict abortion legislation are male."
"I don't think illegalization is the best way to deal with abortion (at least in the US). But the conception that it's a completely harmless process that all society should pay for is certainly wrong and should be replaced by one that regards abortion as a concession (not an inherent right) that is in fact granted for free, responsible acts and have significant consequences to an individual (despite it's in an early stage of development)."
"I honestly no longer can affirm that abortion is a personal issue. After observing pro-life arguments, I do believe that it’s a bio-ethical dilemma at the very least. I’m not necessarily in favor of a total prohibition, but I do believe that it should be reduced given its adverse effects on society. Particularly by emphasizing the value of individual responsibility and sexual maturity."
"Abortion is, by definition, ending the life of an individual with separate genetic information."
"Sexual education is a good way to battle the issue of abortion. A total ban would still allow abortions to take place abroad, and even worse, it could make covert, unsafe abortions widespread."
"Abortions taking place whenever it’s safe for a woman to practice it would be really bad. It would be possible to abort fetus with sensitive capacity and neuronal activity."

Foreign Policy
Strong Interventionist
Quotes - "The USA gets criticism regardless of what we do in terms of foreign policy."
"When a terrorist attack takes place, the media blames the President, bullying and discrimination, society as a whole, the foreign policy of America and many other things. It's the fault of the terrorist, and of none more, that the attack took place."
"The people who complain of the so-called “American intervention” [in Venezuela] seem to curiously ignore the fact that 20,000 Cuban soldiers have been stationed in Venezuela for 10 years."
"An intervention done to return a country its national sovereignty from a dictatorial régime sustained by foreign governments and the military élites is more than justified if you asked me. We should also take into account that Maduro is systematically starving his citizens by militarily avoiding foreign aid to enter the country (and by his horrible economic policy, which made the entrance of it necessary at first). "

War On Drugs
Generally Against, historically Strongly Against
Quotes (in time order) -
"One thing I really defend is all drugs should be legalized (in coffee shops), but they should not be sold to people without the legal age."
"For instance, I defend the legalization of drugs even though I would never take them (not even alcohol)."
"[Drugs] should be legalized because is not a function of the state to protect people from themselves. It is a function of the state, though, to teach people about the dangers of drugs. If people are aware of the dangers of consuming drugs and still want to consume them, the state should let them."
"I think less people would consume drugs if they actually knew the consequences of taking them, even if they are legal."
"I think crime would decrease if we followed Portugal's example, because drug-related violence would experience a decrease as the sector would be properly regulated by the state."
"I don't believe in the legalization of hard drugs as that would facilitate highly toxic substances to enter society and that could harm third parties."
"I have always regarded smoking and consuming drugs as extremely self-harming."
"Drugs being forbidden is bound to prompt an increase in organized crime and offenses resulted from drug addiction."
"Cartels and similar criminal organizations benefit from the illegal status of drugs by exploiting a market that legal operators are unable to access."
"It is important that we counter drug trafficking on the Southern border."

Climate Change
Generally Sceptical
Quotes - "Climate tends to change and global warming isn’t necessarily an entire responsibility of mankind. What I believe would be a better option than the ones the UN and extreme environmentalists are advocating for is building the necessary infrastructure to minimize its possible negative effects while letting the natural transition towards cleaner alternatives (electric cars, renewable and nuclear energy...) take place."
"Anti-vaxxers are much worse than climate change denialists."
"We should rather prepare for a natural, gradual change towards a cleaner Earth (which is what's already taking place in Western Europe and mostly through private initiative, may I add) than let climate change be used by our political leadership to overshadow much relevant issues."
"To effectively stop climate change in the way alarmists would want to, it would be necessary to cripple the industrial base of developing countries. Something which would be very harmful for both developing and already developed nations."
"Climate change protests had actually very low levels of support in Latin America, to put an example. Developing countries will objectively suffer the most, but such effect is dramatized in developed nations."
"Climate change is often exaggerated, especially as a mean to gain political credit. Bold predictions are often used to justify liberticide regulations which have no practical sense other than for political leaders to present themselves as the “saviors” of their respective communities."
"I agree that nuclear energy is the best electrical source."
"Climate change is also not entirely anthropogenic."
"Certain Democrats have used climate change as a political tool."

Taxes
Strongly Against
Quotes - "I would like to have a flat tax, but much lower for people with low income to encourage social mobility through savings."
"When the French government raised taxes for the upper class, people left France for Switzerland."
"I support a lot of policy changes. Lowering taxes, legalizing capital punishment for serious offenses, legalizing free speech, abortion on demand (with time limitations) and marijuana; improving the army for facing any possible threats (assuming they haven't been taken care of before)."
"Tobacco may be a cancer product, but it has an inelastic demand and punitively taxing it will just make it a "subtle" and morally acceptable way of taxing the middle and lower classes."
"I would like the inheritance tax to be abolished all together. You shouldn't pay taxes even after death"
"Inheritance taxes are awful."
"I support Wolf's tax cuts."
"Taxes are inherently bad."
"I support reducing corporate tax to 12.5%."
"I advocate a corporate tax decrease."
"Sales Tax is the most decent tax of them all because it doesn't penalize winning or saving money, I would say."
"Inheritance tax is an unnecessary burden on families and the middle class."
"Wolf's tax policy is brilliant."

Healthcare
Supports Voucher Privatisation
Quotes - "The ideal system for me would be an universal healthcare via vouchers."
"I would support a private healthcare if it was affordable. But fully privatizing healthcare would be, for example, against the Hippocratic Oath which compels doctors to save the life of their patients regardless of any circumstances."
"Access to healthcare is a right, but not necessarily an obligation for taxpayers to fund a person’s health necessities."
"I believe healthcare vouchers would make the system universal while maintaining the factor of efficiency, which is nice."
"The problem with the US is that we don’t have an entirely private system nor an entirely public one."

Death Penalty
Strongly In Favour
Quotes - "I'm not opposed to capital punishment for really bad crimes such as participation in a terrorist attack or mass murder."
"People like Anders Breivik deserve capital punishment."
"School shooters deserve to be ignored and be submitted to capital punishment if you asked me."
"It really is a matter of individual responsibility. If someone is deemed guilty of a crime after a trial with legal guarantees, capital punishment should be an option for the most serious crimes (terrorism, premeditated murder, serial murder...)."
"I would reinforce legal responsibility for crimes committed by minors capable of knowing what they are doing. But I'm not sure if I would do it to the extent of making capital punishment an option for those."
"Capital punishment is a fair punishment for the most gruesome crimes."
"The capital punishment should be an option for the most serious offenses."
"The recognition of full individual freedom also entails full individual responsibility, which is why I support the capital punishment as a mean to institute justice."
"I believe both life imprisonment and capital punishment should coexist."
"If I was elected governor I would resume executions for terrorists, mass murderers, serial murderers and certain first-degree murderers."
"Capital punishment is much fairer, humane and methodical than permanent solitary confinement, which is needless torture for a social creature such as the human."

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Agarntrop

Some issues in bold, otherwise I am satisfied

KingFerdinand1
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby KingFerdinand1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:53 am

Tag.
Very Pro: President Of The United States Donald Trump, Invading North Korea, UTTLAND
Pro: Alozia
Anti: China, Socialists, Immigration
Very Anti: Dentali, Hillary, Communism, Communist Patagonia
"Anyone who thinks my story is anywhere near over is sadly mistaken." - Donald Trump, President of the United States

Political Compass: +8.88, +7.38

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:54 am

KingFerdinand1 wrote:Tag.

THE LEGEND IS BACK!!!

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 am

Welcome back, old friend.

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:59 am

Hello, welcome back best friend!!!

:hug: :kiss: :kiss:
Marianne 2024:

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:00 am

”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:10 am

Sanabel wrote:
Bruke wrote:Alright, I guess Veléz is up first? You moved up the fundraiser, it seems.

What

Oh, I guess you didn’t. Never mind. :unsure:

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am

Omg, hi! It's been a while!

Welcome back friend!
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:13 am

Welcome back, it’s good to see you.
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse