NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: An American Political Roleplay (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:52 pm

Sanabel wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Goldman it is then. Edylmann could make it as a Secretary of Labor, but I highly doubt it, so I'm going with Goldman instead.

What will Goldman’s background be?

Daughter of a Senator, effectively groomed into her position. Has a powerful husband (businessman, congressman, really depends on the person who applies for it if they choose to do so.) and sway over moderate Democrats. She's uncharismatic and boring, not really much for rhetoric and more for backroom deals.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:53 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Sanabel wrote:What will Goldman’s background be?

Daughter of a Senator, effectively groomed into her position. Has a powerful husband (businessman, congressman, really depends on the person who applies for it if they choose to do so.) and sway over moderate Democrats. She's uncharismatic and boring, not really much for rhetoric and more for backroom deals.

State and position?
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:54 pm

This reminds me, I need to finish Dietrich.

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:55 pm

Posting it again, not for approval, but rather so that it may be seen again. I will edit it tomorrow afternoon.

Character Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: The World Capitalist Confederation
Character Name: Erika Goldman
Character Gender: Female
Character Age: 55
Character Height: 150cm
Character Weight: 39kg
Character Position/Role/Job: Senator of New York (1996-2008, 2016-). Secretary of [Insert Department Here] (2008-2016)
Appearance: (Photo preferred, not required)
Character State of Origin: New York.
Character State of Residence: New York
Character Party Affiliation: Democrat
Main Strengths: Knows the Washington game, highly experienced for her age, intelligent, architectural in her plans, centrist.
Main Weaknesses: Boring, establishment-type, effectively inherited her position, uncharismatic, overly pretentious and "sweats details"
Biography: (Minimum 2-3 paragraphs)
Other Info: Her husband might also be a high-level politician. Applications are open for him. Moderate, but firmly democratic, father was New York Congressman and later Senator until his retirement which led to a special 1996 election that his daughter won.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: (Your Nation's Name Here)

Do Not Remove: 84721
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:56 pm

Sanabel wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Daughter of a Senator, effectively groomed into her position. Has a powerful husband (businessman, congressman, really depends on the person who applies for it if they choose to do so.) and sway over moderate Democrats. She's uncharismatic and boring, not really much for rhetoric and more for backroom deals.

State and position?

New York, Senator. I know there's already a New York Senator, but her character fits nowhere else. Maybe Massachusetts could work, I guess? Or perhaps Rhode Island?
Last edited by The World Capitalist Confederation on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Watch

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:56 pm

Why not a state that doesn’t have players?

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:01 pm

Sanabel wrote:State and position?

New York, Senator. I know there's already a New York Senator, but her character fits nowhere else. Maybe Massachusetts could work, I guess? Or perhaps Rhode Island?

Both of those have players also

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:02 pm

Sanabel wrote:Why not a state that doesn’t have players?

Connecticut?
Please Watch

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Sanabel wrote:Why not a state that doesn’t have players?

Connecticut?

That works

I take it you want her to be in the Northeast?

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:15 pm

Sanabel wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Connecticut?

That works

Yeah. Her character type is the "urban New York" type, so I'll put her in NYC without being in New York state.
Please Watch

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Sanabel wrote:That works

Yeah. Her character type is the "urban New York" type, so I'll put her in NYC without being in New York state.

As long as she lives in the state she represents

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:44 pm

Azekopolaltion wrote:why would a former UAW leader representing NY of all states. also you don't win in NY senate elections without corporate backing.

Volek knows

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Puertollano wrote:
Azekopolaltion wrote:why would a former UAW leader representing NY of all states. also you don't win in NY senate elections without corporate backing.

Cynthia Nixon is a good example of that.

she tried to primary a democratic governor
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:03 pm

Dentali wrote:
Puertollano wrote:
Cynthia Nixon is a good example of that.

It’s still true.

NY is one of the most expensive media markets in the country, and doesn’t have strong enough unions to fund the kind of money needed to run a campaign there. Similar situation in Florida.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:09 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Posting it again, not for approval, but rather so that it may be seen again. I will edit it tomorrow afternoon.

(Image)

Character Name: Erika Goldman
Character Gender: Female
Character Age: 55
Character Height: 150cm
Character Weight: 39kg
Character Position/Role/Job: Senator of New York (1996-2008, 2016-). Secretary of [Insert Department Here] (2008-2016)
Appearance: (Photo preferred, not required)
Character State of Origin: New York.
Main Strengths: Knows the Washington game, highly experienced for her age, intelligent, architectural in her plans, centrist.
Main Weaknesses: Boring, establishment-type, effectively inherited her position, uncharismatic, overly pretentious and "sweats details"
Biography: (Minimum 2-3 paragraphs)
Other Info: Her husband might also be a high-level politician. Applications are open for him. Moderate, but firmly democratic, father was New York Congressman and later Senator until his retirement which led to a special 1996 election that his daughter won.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: (Your Nation's Name Here)

she would be 31 at the time of her first election and would be ineligible for Senate. In general WAY too young for her extensive resume, add a decade to her to keep all the experience

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:10 pm

Sanabel wrote:That works

commuting from Connecticut to NYC is super common

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:10 pm

Sanabel wrote:
Dentali wrote:

It’s still true.

NY is one of the most expensive media markets in the country, and doesn’t have strong enough unions to fund the kind of money needed to run a campaign there. Similar situation in Florida.

Cynthia Nixon was also an activist actress before the election, no real XP

The Baton Rouge Free State
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:25 pm

The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:
(Image)

NS Nation Name: The Baton Rouge Free State
Character Name: Andre Moore
Character Gender: M
Character Age: 37 (Born on March 10, 1982)
Character Height: 6'0"
Character Weight: 156 lbs.
Character Position/Role/Job: Mayor of Las Vegas
Appearance: Character State of Origin: California
Character State of Residence: Nevada
Main Strengths: Resolute, Bold, Persuasive, Forward Thinking
Main Weaknesses: Defensive/Protective, Prejudiced (has solid idea of people before meeting them and likely won't change it), Pride
Biography: Born to a middle class household in San Diego, Andre's upbringing was largely focused in California, as, at the age of 5, he moved to Santa Barbara, and then at 13 to San Francisco. However, around the age of 15, the Moore family, took a short stint on the gulf coast in Houston. Andre would infact graduate High School in Houston and would have quite a distaste for the swampy marshland that was the gulf coast. For university, he was forced to choose between his two favorites, UC Berkeley and UT Austin, but opted for UT Austin do to his cheep admissions. At UT Austin he developed a passion for politics, of which, before college, had not much appealed to him. He would end up becoming very passionate of the profession, and became a leading member on the campus Democratic Party circle. It was here where he would develop his strong predisposition toward many figures, judging many political figures before fully researching them.

Andre moved to New Mexico after graduating with degrees in Economics and Marketing. He started working at Sandia Labratories in Albuquerque. While there he became quite good at Spanish, actually becoming conversational. During his time at the company, Andre became good friends with his supervisor, John Campbell, Campbell had an idea for his master project, which featured a personal marketing campaign for each of its major customer groups. The project was deemed to expensive and Campbell resigned, Andre soon followed him as Campbell had a connection to the Chief of Marketing at Las Vegas Sands. They were both given high ranking jobs. Moore would grow to enjoy Las Vegas a lot more than he thought, enjoying the desert surroundings, and the near by National Park at Lake Mead. At the age of 27 Moore would meet and marry his wife, Maria Parker, who turned out to be quite politically motivated herself. The relationship would re-spark Andre's affinity for Politics.

Andre wanted to go into Politics now, it should be stated, he was always interested in it, but he really didn't think of it as coming to reality until now. Andre left his position at Las Vegas sands and ran for city council, which he would win a seat at. It should be known, that by this point Andre had a suitable savings to his name, around 1.8 Million in total from his high profile work at two large and successful companies. In his time not working at the Council, he too classes at the University of Nevada - Las Vegas and would earn a Political Science degree. He became quite popular for pioneering gay rights legislation, and for being a good moderate candidate. In 2014 he would be elected into the State Assembly, and then worked part time at the local government in the Department of Public Works. He also then took university classes on Civic Management and then City Planning but never earned a degree in either. In 2018 he would run for Mayor of the City, in the election he was able to beat out the incumbent independent and found a supporting audience for his proactive and forward-thinking policies, as well as his goal to diversify the City Economy.

In 2019 one of his first acts was to hold a big press conference with the head of the Oakland Raiders, this move helped him win quite a bit of support as he proved he would be able to get a hand in with many of the local businesses. Andre announced plans to sponsor the construction of a large outdoor shopping mall, near the raiders campus, but be became quite famous for his fierce stance against Public Parking lots, saying "Their disgusting atmosphere is a waste of space, such land could be public parks, or more residential, but instead we fill our city with concrete jungles." This stance resonated with many younger audiences who liked the more compact style of large east coast cities like New York and Boston.
Other Info: N/A

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: The Baton Rouge Free State

Had this finished for almost a week, is anyone reviewing apps rn?

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:56 pm

(Image)

Main Weaknesses: Defensive/Protective, Prejudiced (has solid idea of people before meeting them and likely won't change it), Pride
Biography: Born to a middle class household in San Diego, Andre's upbringing was largely focused in California, as, at the age of 5, he moved to Santa Barbara, and then at 13 to San Francisco. However, around the age of 15, the Moore family, took a short stint on the gulf coast in Houston. Andre would infact graduate High School in Houston and would have quite a distaste for the swampy marshland that was the gulf coast. For university, he was forced to choose between his two favorites, UC Berkeley and UT Austin, but opted for UT Austin do to his cheep admissions. At UT Austin he developed a passion for politics, of which, before college, had not much appealed to him. He would end up becoming very passionate of the profession, and became a leading member on the campus Democratic Party circle. It was here where he would develop his strong predisposition toward many figures, judging many political figures before fully researching them.

Andre moved to New Mexico after graduating with degrees in Economics and Marketing. He started working at Sandia Labratories in Albuquerque. While there he became quite good at Spanish, actually becoming conversational. During his time at the company, Andre became good friends with his supervisor, John Campbell, Campbell had an idea for his master project, which featured a personal marketing campaign for each of its major customer groups. The project was deemed to expensive and Campbell resigned, Andre soon followed him as Campbell had a connection to the Chief of Marketing at Las Vegas Sands. They were both given high ranking jobs. Moore would grow to enjoy Las Vegas a lot more than he thought, enjoying the desert surroundings, and the near by National Park at Lake Mead. At the age of 27 Moore would meet and marry his wife, Maria Parker, who turned out to be quite politically motivated herself. The relationship would re-spark Andre's affinity for Politics.

Andre wanted to go into Politics now, it should be stated, he was always interested in it, but he really didn't think of it as coming to reality until now. Andre left his position at Las Vegas sands and ran for city council, which he would win a seat at. It should be known, that by this point Andre had a suitable savings to his name, around 1.8 Million in total from his high profile work at two large and successful companies. In his time not working at the Council, he too classes at the University of Nevada - Las Vegas and would earn a Political Science degree. He became quite popular for pioneering gay rights legislation, and for being a good moderate candidate. In 2014 he would be elected into the State Assembly, and then worked part time at the local government in the Department of Public Works. He also then took university classes on Civic Management and then City Planning but never earned a degree in either. In 2018 he would run for Mayor of the City, in the election he was able to beat out the incumbent independent and found a supporting audience for his proactive and forward-thinking policies, as well as his goal to diversify the City Economy.

In 2019 one of his first acts was to hold a big press conference with the head of the Oakland Raiders, this move helped him win quite a bit of support as he proved he would be able to get a hand in with many of the local businesses. Andre announced plans to sponsor the construction of a large outdoor shopping mall, near the raiders campus, but be became quite famous for his fierce stance against Public Parking lots, saying "Their disgusting atmosphere is a waste of space, such land could be public parks, or more residential, but instead we fill our city with concrete jungles." This stance resonated with many younger audiences who liked the more compact style of large east coast cities like New York and Boston.

Had this finished for almost a week, is anyone reviewing apps rn?

ill take it and look it over right now

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:08 am

(Image)

1. Why did his family move around so much?
2. What did he initially study in college?
3. Wait did he study politics in college? Why is he suddenly working in a lab and what did he do there?
4. He suddenly has 1.8 million before he's 30? I don't understand why he hasn't done anything besides suck up to his supervisor
5. General spell check please
6. Can you put the years he was elected to city council and the assembly please?
7. He is bouncing from city council to the assembly to a part time DPW job very quickly and for no real reason
8. Las Vegas didn't have an election in 2018, last election was in 2015 and the next is April of 2019
9. Why hold a press conference with the raiders?
10. What did he run on to get elected mayor? How was he able to build support behind him? He is fairly unknown.
11. Okay you need to really fix up this guys resume, detail his policies and positions, and his accomplishments and failures while in office.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:29 am

(Image)

Character Name: Boris Edylmann
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 64
Character Height: 175cm
Character Weight: 88kg
Character Position/Role/Job: Treasurer of the UAW (1980-1987), Chairman of the UAW (1987-1994), Treasurer of the AFL-CIO (1994-1998), Senator of New York (1998-), became Senior Senator in 2009.
Appearance: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/tot ... 1224175214
Character State of Origin: New York
Main Strengths: Strong blue-collar and union appeal, charismatic and good at backdoor schmoozing, able to project a more moderate image despite his democratic socialist views
Main Weaknesses: No corporate backing, weak popularity amongst white-collar "Portland" Democrats compared to other progressive democrats, needs to build up grassroots support more.
Biography: Born to a senior union organiser and a seamstress, Boris mostly suffered a lower-middle class existence, attending a local public school as opposed to a private one.

His father instilled in him his union ideals, expecting his only child to carry on his legacy as one of the top-ranking secretaries of the UAW, which, whilst it gave him a lot of power, gave him little money, a position that Boris would find himself in later.

After succeeding in school and armed with his father's political views (but more socially liberal, of course, due to the changing times), he went to [low-level Ivy League university, maybe Cornell or Dartmouth?], taking a master's degree in economics and completing the course fully.

He then used his father's connections to leap on as the Treasurer of the UAW, after a few contested backdoor meetings, serving his job well and with purpose. But he wanted more. He slowly positioned himself for Chairman, making meetings and even being endorsed by his future predecessor once he had resigned for health reasons.

He then took on his job as chairman, eyeing the AFL-CIO next, attending many meetings in person in order to build significant rapport with the other unions, again slowly sliding himself in as a future chairman. This time, however, he fell just short of the mark, receiving a handwritten "apology" from one of his allies and being appointed treasurer instead.

He did his job, muttering slightly but still cherishing the promotion, making several public appearances in order to pre-empt his 1996 run for the [insert safe, progressive-leaning NY district here]'s democratic nomination against a resigning incumbent.

His bid for the nomination failed, however, but received strong local coverage due to some string-pulling and a strong campaign, allowing him to begin plotting a much bigger victory next time in the same district. The problem? One of the New York Senators just resigned due to a diagnosis of prostate cancer, allowing Edylmann to sweep in if he so picked. The problem was, however, that it was generally frowned upon to run for both the House and the Senate, so Edylmann simply chose to pick for the Senate run, seeing the weak field of Democratic candidates in that particular election. He clutched the nomination, by only about 2,000 votes, making it an extremely close race, as his service to his nation had just begun.

His terms saw intensive action on his side, with his time under the Clinton Presidency making him look like a DINO on one side and a "country over party" Democrat on the other. His time in the Bush Presidency was mostly defined by the Iraq War, with his staunch opposition over it leading to a 10% swing in his favour when it came to the general, mostly from left-leaning independents that begun to oppose the war in 2004.

However, after making several hundred public appearances over that last decade from 1998 to 2008, he decided to throw his hat in the ring, using his decent name recognition to attempt to win the nomination from [not-Obama] and [not-Mrs. Clinton], losing out in a close 3rd place. He decided to work with [not-Obama's] half-progressivism, helping draft the ACA as a "compromise solution". He later had some tension with the [not-Obama] intervention with his interventions in Syria, leading to him being seen as a non-establishment figure.

He decided not to run for President in 2016, as he tried to build up his base for 2020 instead, seeing as progressivism would most likely not win but finally come to the spotlight. And so he did, releasing his memoirs in September 2018 and beginning to organise #EdylmannforPresident2020, hoping to get an exploratory committee up soon.

Other Info: Strongly economically liberal, "working-class" "blue-collar" socialist. Notable for his strong pro-worker stances, his support of cooperatives, increased worker management of companies and policies which amounted to "eloquent class war" according to Republicans. He is able to present himself as moderate due to generally careful language, but is still able to inspire progressives.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: The World Capitalist Confederation.

1. "He is able to present himself as moderate due to generally careful language, but is still able to inspire progressives." Good luck with this i don't think its possible, we will not be taking it for granted they can do this.

2. How could he afford a Masters degree at an ivy league school if he was from a lower middle class family?

3. Why would he be in the Union if he has never been an autoworker?

4. Can you detail his accomplishments at the UAW? Also his platform for his first mayoral run?

5. A 10 pt swing in his election would cause him to lose the seat.

6. Okay real talk? I think he is way too progressive/socialist for new york in the late 90s. That being said we need more details on his positions. I definitely don't think voting NO on the Iraq war would be acceptable.

7. I don't know if he would place 3rd... not John Edwards probably gets 3rd. Just put right now that he ran in 2008 and we can decide how he did later.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:38 am

Dentali wrote:
(Image)

Character Name: Boris Edylmann
Character Age: 64
Character Height: 175cm
Character Weight: 88kg
Character Position/Role/Job: Treasurer of the UAW (1980-1987), Chairman of the UAW (1987-1994), Treasurer of the AFL-CIO (1994-1998), Senator of New York (1998-), became Senior Senator in 2009.
Appearance: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/tot ... 1224175214
Character State of Origin: New York
Main Strengths: Strong blue-collar and union appeal, charismatic and good at backdoor schmoozing, able to project a more moderate image despite his democratic socialist views
Main Weaknesses: No corporate backing, weak popularity amongst white-collar "Portland" Democrats compared to other progressive democrats, needs to build up grassroots support more.
Biography: Born to a senior union organiser and a seamstress, Boris mostly suffered a lower-middle class existence, attending a local public school as opposed to a private one.

His father instilled in him his union ideals, expecting his only child to carry on his legacy as one of the top-ranking secretaries of the UAW, which, whilst it gave him a lot of power, gave him little money, a position that Boris would find himself in later.

After succeeding in school and armed with his father's political views (but more socially liberal, of course, due to the changing times), he went to [low-level Ivy League university, maybe Cornell or Dartmouth?], taking a master's degree in economics and completing the course fully.

He then used his father's connections to leap on as the Treasurer of the UAW, after a few contested backdoor meetings, serving his job well and with purpose. But he wanted more. He slowly positioned himself for Chairman, making meetings and even being endorsed by his future predecessor once he had resigned for health reasons.

He then took on his job as chairman, eyeing the AFL-CIO next, attending many meetings in person in order to build significant rapport with the other unions, again slowly sliding himself in as a future chairman. This time, however, he fell just short of the mark, receiving a handwritten "apology" from one of his allies and being appointed treasurer instead.

He did his job, muttering slightly but still cherishing the promotion, making several public appearances in order to pre-empt his 1996 run for the [insert safe, progressive-leaning NY district here]'s democratic nomination against a resigning incumbent.

His bid for the nomination failed, however, but received strong local coverage due to some string-pulling and a strong campaign, allowing him to begin plotting a much bigger victory next time in the same district. The problem? One of the New York Senators just resigned due to a diagnosis of prostate cancer, allowing Edylmann to sweep in if he so picked. The problem was, however, that it was generally frowned upon to run for both the House and the Senate, so Edylmann simply chose to pick for the Senate run, seeing the weak field of Democratic candidates in that particular election. He clutched the nomination, by only about 2,000 votes, making it an extremely close race, as his service to his nation had just begun.

His terms saw intensive action on his side, with his time under the Clinton Presidency making him look like a DINO on one side and a "country over party" Democrat on the other. His time in the Bush Presidency was mostly defined by the Iraq War, with his staunch opposition over it leading to a 10% swing in his favour when it came to the general, mostly from left-leaning independents that begun to oppose the war in 2004.

However, after making several hundred public appearances over that last decade from 1998 to 2008, he decided to throw his hat in the ring, using his decent name recognition to attempt to win the nomination from [not-Obama] and [not-Mrs. Clinton], losing out in a close 3rd place. He decided to work with [not-Obama's] half-progressivism, helping draft the ACA as a "compromise solution". He later had some tension with the [not-Obama] intervention with his interventions in Syria, leading to him being seen as a non-establishment figure.

He decided not to run for President in 2016, as he tried to build up his base for 2020 instead, seeing as progressivism would most likely not win but finally come to the spotlight. And so he did, releasing his memoirs in September 2018 and beginning to organise #EdylmannforPresident2020, hoping to get an exploratory committee up soon.

Other Info: Strongly economically liberal, "working-class" "blue-collar" socialist. Notable for his strong pro-worker stances, his support of cooperatives, increased worker management of companies and policies which amounted to "eloquent class war" according to Republicans. He is able to present himself as moderate due to generally careful language, but is still able to inspire progressives.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: The World Capitalist Confederation.

1. "He is able to present himself as moderate due to generally careful language, but is still able to inspire progressives." Good luck with this i don't think its possible, we will not be taking it for granted they can do this.

2. How could he afford a Masters degree at an ivy league school if he was from a lower middle class family?

3. Why would he be in the Union if he has never been an autoworker?

4. Can you detail his accomplishments at the UAW? Also his platform for his first mayoral run?

5. A 10 pt swing in his election would cause him to lose the seat.

6. Okay real talk? I think he is way too progressive/socialist for new york in the late 90s. That being said we need more details on his positions. I definitely don't think voting NO on the Iraq war would be acceptable.

7. I don't know if he would place 3rd... not John Edwards probably gets 3rd. Just put right now that he ran in 2008 and we can decide how he did later.

He's been abandoned now. No need to waste any more time on him.

Also, it was 10 points in his favour as his election came in 2004.
Please Watch

The Baton Rouge Free State
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:17 am

Dentali wrote:
(Image)

3. Wait did he study politics in college? Why is he suddenly working in a lab and what did he do there?
4. He suddenly has 1.8 million before he's 30? I don't understand why he hasn't done anything besides suck up to his supervisor
6. Can you put the years he was elected to city council and the assembly please?
7. He is bouncing from city council to the assembly to a part time DPW job very quickly and for no real reason
8. Las Vegas didn't have an election in 2018, last election was in 2015 and the next is April of 2019
10. What did he run on to get elected mayor? How was he able to build support behind him? He is fairly unknown.
11. Okay you need to really fix up this guys resume, detail his policies and positions, and his accomplishments and failures while in office.

1. For the sake of length I opted not to put a reason in, although its because his parents moved around a lot in accordance with their jobs, wether its to work for a new company or a new location at the same company.
2. I already stated that, Economics and Marketing
3. He did not initially study politics in college until later in his life at the University of Nevada. Sandia Labratories is an engineering and science think tank, of course all big companies have a marketing team, which is where he worked. I had hoped this would be inferable based on the stated reason for leaving and earlier stated marketing degree.
4. He hasn't sucked up to his supervisor, it was merely the reason he switched from Sandia Labratories to Sands Las Vegas. Furthermore, these two companies are both large and very successful, so if he was leading his own marketing projects, then he would being earning quite a suitable wage as well, and the relative cheapness of where he's lived has allowed him to save a fair amount of money as well.
5. Not sure where my grammar errors are, but I look into it, thanks.
6. Yes I can.
7. The DPW job is at the same time as his political studies and city council and later assembly jobs. Jobs on the city council and state assembly are only part time jobs. He's merely taking on the DPW job as a secondary job to fill remaining time and earn some more money.
8. Apologies, thats a typo.
9. With the Raiders moving to Las Vegas and already quite popular across the city, it was a publicity stunt among the public as well as a move to cement relationships with a potentially massive employer in the city. Plus it helps boost city pride with the sports team and all.
10. "...and found a supporting audience for his proactive and forward-thinking policies, as well as his goal to diversify the City Economy." Also he isn't fairly unknown he's had quite a few terms to distinguish himself on the city council and state assembly.
11. The whole point of the IC is to roleplay the actions of a character, are you saying I should put all my characters actions in the app? I have a pretty detailed resume already, ofcourse, you requested specific years which I'm glad to add, but I can't help feeling like its a little harsh given his entire working career and a good summation of his political ideology are already present.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:29 am

Dentali wrote:

1. For the sake of length I opted not to put a reason in, although its because his parents moved around a lot in accordance with their jobs, wether its to work for a new company or a new location at the same company.
2. I already stated that, Economics and Marketing
3. He did not initially study politics in college until later in his life at the University of Nevada. Sandia Labratories is an engineering and science think tank, of course all big companies have a marketing team, which is where he worked. I had hoped this would be inferable based on the stated reason for leaving and earlier stated marketing degree.
4. He hasn't sucked up to his supervisor, it was merely the reason he switched from Sandia Labratories to Sands Las Vegas. Furthermore, these two companies are both large and very successful, so if he was leading his own marketing projects, then he would being earning quite a suitable wage as well, and the relative cheapness of where he's lived has allowed him to save a fair amount of money as well.
5. Not sure where my grammar errors are, but I look into it, thanks.
6. Yes I can.
7. The DPW job is at the same time as his political studies and city council and later assembly jobs. Jobs on the city council and state assembly are only part time jobs. He's merely taking on the DPW job as a secondary job to fill remaining time and earn some more money.
8. Apologies, thats a typo.
9. With the Raiders moving to Las Vegas and already quite popular across the city, it was a publicity stunt among the public as well as a move to cement relationships with a potentially massive employer in the city. Plus it helps boost city pride with the sports team and all.
10. "...and found a supporting audience for his proactive and forward-thinking policies, as well as his goal to diversify the City Economy." Also he isn't fairly unknown he's had quite a few terms to distinguish himself on the city council and state assembly.
11. The whole point of the IC is to roleplay the actions of a character, are you saying I should put all my characters actions in the app? I have a pretty detailed resume already, ofcourse, you requested specific years which I'm glad to add, but I can't help feeling like its a little harsh given his entire working career and a good summation of his political ideology are already present.

8-9. My Raiders question was more because he would have had nothing to do with the Raiders if he was elected in 2018, I then checked the Vegas mayoral election dates. the current in game date is March of 2019, so when was your dude elected?
10. Okay that's incredibly vague
11. Firstly no the that is not a detailed resume, Secondly no that is not a good summation of his ideology, Thirdly name some accomplishments and policy positions that got him elected.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:18 am

NS Nation Name: Sanabel
Character Name: Jay Joseph “J.J.” Dietrich
Character Age: 91
Character Height: 5’10 (Formerly 6’3)
Character Weight: 165 lbs

Character Position/Role/Job: Air Force Pilot (1947-1952), Bush Pilot (1952-1959), Delegate to the Alaska Constitutional Convention (1956), Interim Director of the Bureau of Indian Affairs for the Region of Alaska (1959-1961), Arctic Explorer (1961-1970), United States Representative for Alaska’s At-Large District (1971-Present), Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee (1995-2001), Chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee (2001-2007), Chair of the House Appropriations Committee (2011-2013), Dean of the United States House of Representatives (2017-)

Appearance:

Character State of Origin: Alaska
Character State of Residence: Alaska

Character Party Affiliation: Independent (1946-1970), Republican Party (1970-Present)

Main Strengths: Badass, charismatic, nationally recognized hero, close ties to his constituents
Main Weaknesses: Known for rubbing elbows with state interests and securing pork, unpredictable/maverick, fluid on ideology

Biography:
Jay Joseph Dietrich was born in 1928 to Joseph and Marie Dietrich, in Anchorage, Alaska. Dietrich came from a working class background, as his father was a worker at a fish processing plant and his mother was a half-Iñupiat teacher at an “Indian School” in a shanty town outside of the city. His family was one of relatively “old stock” Alaskans. His paternal grandfather Franz Dietrich was a Civil War veteran who moved to the territory from Pennsylvania after the war to seek his fortune in gold, bringing his wife over after establishing a homestead. His paternal grandfather was a Russian trap hunter seeking furs when he fell for a native woman and settled down.

As the oldest son of 8 children, Dietrich had quite a few responsibilities in the home. With both of his parents working, and their home barely more than a dirt floored shack, his childhood was often a struggle. His teenaged years were filled with dreams that the Japanese would invade, so the restless youth would have a true adventure fighting off the foreign army. To fill this void, his free time was spent fishing, hunting, snowshoeing, and even dog sled racing. Often, he would run away from home for up to a month at a time to do so, making it a miracle when he graduated from high school.

At the age of 17, Dietrich enrolled in the University of Alaska at Fairbanks Technical College, where he earned a 3-year technical certificate in mechanics. He had a dream of being a tracked motor operator out on the North Slope, where he could hunt polar bears and romance native women, exploring the last American frontier.

As a mechanic in a remote part of the country, he could have claimed exemption from military service. But he chose not to. In 1947, Dietrich enlisted in the Air Force. Due to the his technical training, he was sent to the short-lived Aviation Cadet Program with a commission, was trained to be a C-121 Constellation Pilot, then was assigned to the newly created Military Air Transport Service. He was tasked with transporting staff officers between bases. One year-long assignment was the private transportation of Dwight Eisenhower, Chief of Staff of the Army. The pair hit it off, taking meals together in the Officers Club on a few occasions. Otherwise, he found this incredibly boring, especially when the Korean War began in 1950, and his job was simply moving officers in and out of Korea. On multiple occasions he would transport General Douglas MacArthur.

Following the expiration of his service in 1953 at the rank of First Lieutenant, Dietrich decided to re-enter civilian life. He moved back to Alaska to his parents’ old house, and used his Air Force salary to purchase a small bush plane.

Being a bush pilot was better than being a tracked motor operator every would’ve been. Dietrich made a living flying supplies to the North Slope outposts, and to rural communities across the territory, from cities like Juneau, Anchorage, and Fairbanks. During this time Dietrich joked that he visited every bar in Alaska, slept with half the women in Alaska, and witnessed at least a quarter of the gunfights in Alaska. It was the highlight of his life.

One job he had was as a subcontractor for the United States Postal Service. Once every fortnight, he would carry mail to the isolated and impoverished villages of the Wade Hampton Census Area along the Bering Sea. He bonded with the mostly native population of the area, and would spend his time off in the Kotlik village. During one summer he even accompanied a group of men on a whaling expedition. In 1955, he married an Inuit woman who went by the name of Eliza. (They went on to have two children before her death in 1958).

In 1956, elections began for delegates to the Constitutional Convention in Fairbanks. The people of Kotlik nominated Dietrich for the position simply because he was white, literate, and Alaskan, the three general requirements for the position. Dietrich was one of the youngest delegates in Fairbanks, and he joined territorial legislators, small scale homesteaders, cultural icons, and scientists as one of Alaska’s 55 founding fathers. Lacking a suit, he attended in his dress blues from his time in the Air Force. He joined the other delegates in ratifying the constitution, setting Alaska on the path to statehood.

He returned shortly after to working as a bush pilot for a couple of years. However, at the tail end of the Eisenhower administration, a vacancy opened as the current director of the Bureau of Indian Affairs for the District of Alaska died. Remembering Dietrich as a young veteran and delegate to the constitutional convention, the governor included him on a list of individuals recommended to President Eisenhower as an interim replacement for the position. Under most circumstances, the bush pilot would have been passed over for a bureaucrat. But Eisenhower recognized the name of his former staff pilot and enthusiastically chose him. Dietrich accepted. He figured it would be best to settle down, given that he was a widower and had two children. In Juneau, Dietrich found his position incredibly boring. He hated being an administrator, cooped up in the office. He visited indigenous communities at every chance he could, and did his best to improve their lives through the provision of medicine, clean water, and synthetic insulation. During his time in the position he was able to find a new wife, Judith (They went on to have 3 children before their divorce in 1984).

Following the appointment of a permanent director by President Kennedy, Dietrich returned to his position as a bush pilot, leaving his wife and children behind. However, he had a new status from his post with the federal government. One of his first jobs was with the National Geographic Society. He accompanied a number of anthropologists on an expedition to gather information on the quixotic “mummy caves”’of the Aleutian Islands. This project lasted until 1963. After that, he took a job with a private team seeking to traverse the North Slope by dog sled. His job started as their resupply pilot, but he quickly turned into the expedition’s protector, making international headlines for killing a polar bear without a gun. The details are foggy and questioned by experts, but many believe the story. (It would later be debunked as a tall tale, as details surfaced of another member of the expedition shooting the animal during that occurrence). He carried out a number of similar journeys until 1968, when he was recruited to the British Trans-Arctic Expedition. He went on an almost 4,000 mile journey from Alaska to Svalbard, becoming one of the first men to reach the North Pole and traverse the Arctic Ocean by foot. He would survive the trip, but after the expedition, while stopping in Greenland en route to the United States, he would fall into the ocean while disembarking his ship. He was drunk, still celebrating the successful trek. Unfortunately, he failed to treat the cold properly, caught frost bite, and lost all of the toes on his right foot. He would never walk without a cane again.

The year and a half following the expedition Dietrich (like the other explorers) would be an object of fascination in the international news and in academic circles. He accompanied the other explorers on an international lecture and interview circuit for a few months. Like the other members of the expedition, he won a number of civilian honors and accolades from geographic societies. Unfortunately, being a man of action and not a egghead academic, he grew bored with it.

He returned to Alaska. His injury left him unable to embark on any other expeditions, at least in the short term. It was an election year, and the Democrats were poised to reclaim it Alaska’s sole House seat. The likely nominee was a businessman and state legislator who had only moved to the state 5 years prior from Seattle. Dietrich saw him as a “limp wristed continental carpetbagger.” A combination of this sentiment, inspiration from the Nixon Administration’s proposed Environmental Protection Agency, and the urging of supporters in Alaska led to Dietrich running for the seat as a Republican. The party was happy to have a candidate with name recognition in the massive district and ties to the Native communities as its nominee. After a hard fought campaign battle, the Republicans held the seat. He intended originally to only serve 3 terms, get some work done, then go back to the Arctic Circle. That did not pan out.

Dietrich had an ineffective and somewhat lonely first term in office. Rather than receive respect for his military record and status as a founding father of his state, he was instead seen by his colleagues as a celebrity politician, garnering him little respect.

In the autumn of 1973, at the start of his second term, he opposed the impeachment of Richard Nixon. His tone shifted over time, however. By the summer of 1974 he was in favor of impeachment.

Following the Watergate Scandal, Dietrich went from an impotent backbencher to a congressman of some prominence. He took a liking to President Ford, a fellow sportsman. He used their personal relationship to push the House Minority Leader to assign Dietrich to more relevant committees and subcommittees. From his perch on committees relating to energy policy, natural resources, Indian affairs, and environmental protection, Dietrich became effective at procuring pork for his state.

Through the 1980s, Dietrich gradually shifted to become more conservative with the rest of the party. His lack of deep ideology allowed for him to survive in the ever shifting political environment. He largely supported the Reagan administration. He mostly faded into the background, focusing on constituent issues.

In 1989 he entered the limelight, tasked by President Burke with representing the United States at the series of international conferences that created the Arctic Environmental Protection Strategy, which was completed in 1991. He was chosen for his status as a long time representative of the only state partially within the Arctic Circle.

When a new Republican majority entered Congress in 1995, Dietrich was appointed as Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, by virtue of his extensive seniority. He served a six year term which was largely uneventful. He supported the Clifford impeachment strongly. Following that, he was appointed as Chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. When the Republicans lost their majority in 2006, the Republican ranks were thinned. This enabled him to become the chair of the powerful House Appropriations committee in 2011 after the party took back the majority. This first required him to fight off the hardest political challenge of his career: overcoming the Tea Party wave.

A novice state representative and political firebrand challenged him for the Republican nomination. Many prognosticators expected Dietrich would be knocked off, given his more moderate views that changed over his long career. Thanks to his record of bringing money and federal jobs to Alaska, his status as a state founding father and famous explorer, he was able to raise enough money and energy to narrowly hold the nomination.

Despite his victory, he proved unwilling or unable to meet the same level of militant vitriolic opposition to the Obama administration that many in the Republican conference desired. He was simply out of step with the Tea Party base too. So, he announced he would step down from his position on the Appropriations Committee.

In the years following, Dietrich became a back bencher once again. He attempted to spend more time with his grand children. He hunted and fished. But as he gets old, his mobility is decreasing. He is finding himself yearning for action that he cannot attain through physicality. So, he is looking to make one final splash in Congress, and to assist his children in building their own careers as his legacy.

Other Info: His maternal grandmother was Iñupiat, allowing him to claim membership of the tribal nation. Has said he will take on the role of Minority Whip on an interim basis given a vacancy.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: No.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse