NATION

PASSWORD

For Want of a Nail [OOC/AH/OPEN]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:10 am

For Want of a Nail - Nation Application

Nation Name: Rzeczpospolita Szlachecka Narodu Sarmackiego / The Noble Republic of the Sarmatian Nation
Informal names: Sarmatia, Poland-Lithuania, Poland
Flag/Symbols:
Head of State/Head of Government: By the Grace of God and the Sarmatian Nation, the Grand Hetman of the Noble Republic, Stanisław Jan Jabłonowski
Government Type: A noble republic built upon the ideas of Sarmatism. The core belief of Sarmatism is that the Polish and Lithuanian people are the descendants of the Sarmatians, an ancient people and the legendary conquerors of the Slavs in antiquity. Followers of Sarmatism seek to espouse the virtues and values they believe to make them unique from any other nation in Europe - most notably "Golden Liberty", a belief in the equality of all of their peers between each other, and all of their common right to decide on matters of state. A Sarmatian must also be a pious Catholic, yet tolerant of other Christian denominations, a skilled horseback rider, invincible in the face of an enemy, and dress, act and talk appropriately. Knowing Latin is considered to be mandatory for any Sarmatian, and thus many Polish nobles speak not "Polish", but rather a Macaronic mix of Polish and Latin, a process known as makaronizowanie.

These Sarmatian values are expressed in the form of a republican government, as the elective Polish monarchy was abandoned for good during the Swedish Deluge. The Grand Hetman, elected for life, is the head of state due to his command of the armed forces, while below him is a complex conundrum of various positions and offices, and ultimately the Sejm, the legislature of the Sarmatian state. The nation is rather militaristic, its public life oozes with aristocratic manners and values.
Population: 12 million.
Military Population: Difficult to quantify, because the army of Sarmatia, much like the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth before it, is a highly complex and convoluted affair.
  • The standing force, wojsko kwarciane ("Quarter Army", named after the Quarter Tax which went to maintaining it) has about 2500 men at peacetime.
  • At wartime, the wojsko kwarciane would be supplemented by the wojsko komputowe ("Komput Army", named after the budget of the Commonwealth for military matters), mercenary units paid for by the budget of the state, numbering up to 60 000 men in wartime, and the żołnierz powiatowy ("Powiat Guards"), semi-standing forces organized in each powiat as a sort of local militia, used both for defense and offense, and numbering up to 40 000 men across the entire country.
  • Unlike its neighbours and their professional armies, Sarmatia still holds a relic of medieval levy-based warfare, the pospolite ruszenie ("Mass Mobilization"). It is the duty of every noble in the country to pick up their banner at times of war, rally an army he trained from his pocket, and join the conflict. It is difficult to quantify just how many soldiers Sarmatia could be able to rally through the pospolite ruszenie - the nobility composes about 10-15% of the population, but many of those nobles are just as poor as peasants, while plenty of others would rather sit wars out in exchange for a tax.
  • Aside for the formations already listed, there are a number of other formations and unofficial formations. The most notable of these is the Cossack Registry, a listing of military-able Cossacks in Sarmatian territory for recruitment during wartime - the same policy is also extended towards Lipka Tatars, living in Lithuanian territory. An another notable unofficial formation are the Lisowczycy or Straceńcy ("Lost Men"), free cavalrymen raiders who are under tenuous command of the Sarmatian military commanders and are allowed to loot foreign lands as they please.
  • Needless to say, the Sarmatian military is under dire need of reform.
Territory: Corresponding to the territory of the Commonwealth in the preset map.
History: The history of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth remained unchanged from history until the Swedish Deluge. In the midst of the chaotic invasions from Sweden and Russia respectively, the last king of Poland and grand duke of Lithuania, John Casimir Vasa, caught a bullet in the retreat. The country was left in chaos, but its nobility remained stern in the face of adversity. They no longer needed to follow an ineffectual Swedish king, and rallied behind charismatic leaders calling for a new, free republican government, they managed to push the Swedish and Russian invaders alike from their premises. Most notable of them was John Sobieski, who would go on to become the first Grand Hetman of the newly established Noble Republic. The long held beliefs of Sarmatism among the Polish nobility, without a King serving as an anchor in reality, could finally be expressed to their fullest, the disparate Polish and Lithuanian nations united under a singular name of Sarmatia, and a republican form of government established.

Sarmatia recovered rather quickly from the Swedish Deluge - the lack of North America meant that local timber, furs and grain remain profitable, while many trade routes continue going through their territory instead of being redirected by the Age of Discovery. In the last 50 years, the population losses across the country have recovered and the economy has stabilized. The incumbent Grand Hetman of Sarmatia, Stanisław Jan Jabłonowski, is turning older and older by the day, and it is expected that he will not remain in this world for long - his last dream before his inevitable demise it to somehow rally a coalition of Christian nations to rid central Europe of the Turks at last, a chance which they missed in 1683...

RP Sample: Here's the last time I participated in a worldbuilding exercise like this one - app IC post
#FWOAN - Do Not Remove
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:10 am

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:Speaking of spice trade: no potatoes, tomatoes, maize, chiles, or squashes for us. Medieval cuisine lives on!

No tobacco, cane sugar, tonic, upland cotton, syphillis, chocolate... you know what, just gonna post the list.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbian_exchange

Not cane sugar. It's been grown in the Middle East since the 10th century. Either way, I should probably rush sugar beets
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:41 am

Even if the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth is one my favourite nations, I somehow have never heard of Sarmatism, but I like it xD

This is going to be an interesting concept.

So Poland-Lithuania, or well Sarmatia, never took part in the Battle of Vienna? In this timeline, I know that the Ottomans won, but we never quite established the reasons. No help being sent from Poland could be a very decisive factor.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:22 am

Snag me a spot for the Maratha Empire. The spice must flow...
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Duestchstien
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Duestchstien » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 am

Danceria wrote:Snag me a spot for the Maratha Empire. The spice must flow...

If my app gets accepted, you might have to deal Mughals, minus Pakistan and Afghanistan.
National Info
Chancellor - Alexei Matrovitch
Vice Chancellor - Dmitri Zdunowo
Capital - Moscow
Population - 404.2 Million
Currency - Roys Ruble (₽)
Active RPs
2024: Age of Superpowers - Nigeria

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:26 am

Can I reserve the Tsardom of Russia?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:31 am

Danceria wrote:Snag me a spot for the Maratha Empire. The spice must flow...

Hmm, the Maratha Empire was pretty small in 1700, that's how I somehow missed it and that's why it's not on the map. I will add its historical territory in 1700 on the map - if you want them to be any larger you'll have to discuss it with the OP, but reserving the Marathas themselves is more than alright.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:33 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:Can I reserve the Tsardom of Russia?

Well, that will be up to the OP. I'm personally not sure if you'd be able to make an app for such a rising, so he will be the one to decide.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:38 am

I'll be looking over some of the complete-looking apps pretty soon, as well as the reservations. Please be patient and I'll try to get everything settled soon.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:39 am

Could I propose a crazy idea? I know Peloponnese/Morea is a Venetian Possession; but is it possible that perhaps a Byzantine rump state could have survived there, perhaps as a vassal of the Venetians at this point?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:42 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:Could I propose a crazy idea? I know Peloponnese/Morea is a Venetian Possession; but is it possible that perhaps a Byzantine rump state could have survived there, perhaps as a vassal of the Venetians at this point?

Survived no. The territory was conquered by the Ottomans completely in 1461, but it was taken back by the Venetians in 1684, while the Ottomans were focused on Hungary and the Habsburgs. So if the Venetians somehow recreated a Greek state there, that's up to Void

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:45 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Could I propose a crazy idea? I know Peloponnese/Morea is a Venetian Possession; but is it possible that perhaps a Byzantine rump state could have survived there, perhaps as a vassal of the Venetians at this point?

Survived no. The territory was conquered by the Ottomans completely in 1461, but it was taken back by the Venetians in 1684, while the Ottomans were focused on Hungary and the Habsburgs. So if the Venetians somehow recreated a Greek state there, that's up to Void

I'll think of something else, then.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:37 am

Tracian Empire wrote:Even if the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth is one my favourite nations, I somehow have never heard of Sarmatism, but I like it xD

This is going to be an interesting concept.

So Poland-Lithuania, or well Sarmatia, never took part in the Battle of Vienna? In this timeline, I know that the Ottomans won, but we never quite established the reasons. No help being sent from Poland could be a very decisive factor.

I figured that could be a simple explanation for the Ottos winning, and it'd also give me something to do from the very beginning, i.e. try to kick your teeth in

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:37 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Survived no. The territory was conquered by the Ottomans completely in 1461, but it was taken back by the Venetians in 1684, while the Ottomans were focused on Hungary and the Habsburgs. So if the Venetians somehow recreated a Greek state there, that's up to Void

I'll think of something else, then.

Well, like I said, talk to Void. You might get a Byzantine vassal in the Morea, or he might just allow you to try to play Russia.

If you want to play a small Orthodox nation though, Wallachia and Moldova are good candidates.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:58 am

Been a while since I've ventured into my old stomping ground of a genre, mind if I reserve the HRE? App may take... Quite some time since, well, I'll need to figure out what the hell actually happened there given the amount of duchies and smaller semi-independent states that occupied that region IRL.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:01 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:Been a while since I've ventured into my old stomping ground of a genre, mind if I reserve the HRE? App may take... Quite some time since, well, I'll need to figure out what the hell actually happened there given the amount of duchies and smaller semi-independent states that occupied that region IRL.

Well, those are still supposed to be there. We simply couldn't add them to the map in any reasonable way, so we filled the place with a generic HRE color.

We also kind of worked under the idea that the duchies and states which were too small to appear on the map would be too small to play a big role.

The HRE should still be as it was, but the position of the Habsburgs might be shaken, considering their defeat at Vienna.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Lunas Legion wrote:Been a while since I've ventured into my old stomping ground of a genre, mind if I reserve the HRE? App may take... Quite some time since, well, I'll need to figure out what the hell actually happened there given the amount of duchies and smaller semi-independent states that occupied that region IRL.

Well, those are still supposed to be there. We simply couldn't add them to the map in any reasonable way, so we filled the place with a generic HRE color.

We also kind of worked under the idea that the duchies and states which were too small to appear on the map would be too small to play a big role.

The HRE should still be as it was, but the position of the Habsburgs might be shaken, considering their defeat at Vienna.

Hmm. Yeah, their defeat at Vienna in 1683 would've severely undermined both the position of the Hapsburgs and the confidence of the smaller states of the HRE in the empire itself. A League of some form, forming around one of the more powerful of the Elector States in the HRE would likely make the most sense but not be Emperor quite yet since Leopold I is still alive.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Nation Name: Eastern Roman Empire|Βασιλεία Ῥωμαίων|Imperium Romanum
Flag/Symbols:

Head of State/Head of Government: Emperor Demetrios III Palaiologos (Born: 1642 AD Ruled: 1642 AD - 1646 AD, 1660 AD - 1683 AD, 1684 AD - Present)

Government Type: Absolute Monarchy
Population: 177,000
Military Population: 1,800 troops (plus forces and equipment leant by Republic of Venice, and other allies)
Territory: Morea/Peloponnese
History:

After the Fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II, in 1453, and the death of Emperor Constantine XI Palaiologos (ruled: 1448 AD - 1453 AD), the Imperial Title was taken by his brother, Thomas Palaiologos, the Despot of Morea, who crowned himself Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans, in Mystras.

RP Sample: (at least one)
#FWOAN - Do Not Remove
Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:30 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:

Nation Name: Eastern Roman Empire|Βασιλεία Ῥωμαίων|Imperium Romanum
Flag/Symbols:
Head of State/Head of Government: Emperor Constantine XIII Kantakouzenos (ruled: 1668 AD - Present)
Government Type: Absolute Monarchy
Population: 177,000
Military Population: 1,800 troops (plus Venetian forces and equipment leant by Republic of Venice)
Territory: Morea/Peloponnese, Ionian Islands
History: WIP

RP Sample: (at least one)
#FWOAN - Do Not Remove

I will work on this pending OPs approval of a Byzantine rump state in Morea.
Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Gonna take some fine historical liberties for France, I'm sure that's ok, innit?
Last edited by Nouveau Quebecois on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:Gonna take some fine historical liberties for France, I'm sure that's ok, innit?

I'm not sure what you mean by historical liberties. France at this time historically was quite absolutist as far as I know.

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:Gonna take some fine historical liberties for France, I'm sure that's ok, innit?

I think the interesting thing about this setting is that it asks us not to imagine how a country could have gone differently for the sake of going differently, but how a country would have gone differently in the absence of the New World. I'd suggest that any diversions from history should be traceable back to that single fact.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Well, those are still supposed to be there. We simply couldn't add them to the map in any reasonable way, so we filled the place with a generic HRE color.

Hmm. Yeah, their defeat at Vienna in 1683 would've severely undermined both the position of the Hapsburgs and the confidence of the smaller states of the HRE in the empire itself. A League of some form, forming around one of the more powerful of the Elector States in the HRE would likely make the most sense but not be Emperor quite yet since Leopold I is still alive.

Such a thing wasn't necessarily planned, but I do personally think that it could make sense, so you could probably go for it

The idea could really be nice

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Are police units considered apart of the military in numerical figures?
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:50 pm

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:Are police units considered apart of the military in numerical figures?

If they can be pressed to military service, yes.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse