NATION

PASSWORD

Exalted: Age of Sorrows (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:27 pm

Gregor - Tempting the Dragon

Gregor initially paid little attention to Aerion’s mood, as he approached. When Mephisto smirked at him, he gave a bit of a daring smile back, showing his teeth as he held his pipe between them. The spirit faded, and he was left to deal with this brat. Apparently he did not believe he was a lord, which...baffled him. He had gone out onto the battlefield the previous day, and had gone among his men. Mahajan’s symbol was on the armor of every one of his soldiers.

“Well, then, little boy, I see you are even blinder than a blind man, to not recognize another Lord. But then you are hardly a Lord, cowering begins your toy-soldiers and then expecting Lady Zara to respect you. How cute.” He moved aside a bit of his mink to show the symbol of House Mahajan emblazoned on his own shoulder, the crimson dragon which glared upon its enemies. “Perhaps you have no respect for the common person, and I can understand that. We all have our games as Nobles. But at least learn to play the game with a little finesse. Otherwise you’re little more than a whining child asking for people to die so your tantrums will stop.”

Others stared as Aerion marched among them, and Gregor could only roll his eyes. They were dazzled by fool’s gold, by a man who would not even fight for himself. “...And lo, even the fallen angels were once beautiful in the eyes of their gods...Hm...So what does that make me...” He chuckled, and then nodded to Medi. “That silver coin is yours. If he believes I am a mere street performer, he’ll get a performance worth gold in the morning. But you...most likely need the money more than I do,” he suggested.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Antimersia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 04, 2020
Father Knows Best State

Postby Antimersia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:35 am

Medi Munkii

Medi giggles to himself as quietly as he can, watching the verbal scuffles unfold before him. First a spirit, Mephisto. A man after Medi's own heart in a way. He found the spirit amusing, and the power he clearly wielded, tantalizing. Following Mephisto was this young boy that chose to speak spitefully at Gregor. Medi nearly burst out laughing at his feigned strength. Insulting a general while you cower behind soldiers is like complaining about a chef's meal when you can't even peel a vegetable. But Medi held strong. He agreed to pipe down for Gregor, and as much as he would have enjoyed stoking the flames, he never goes back on his word. With the young lord gone, Gregor offers the coin that he tossed on the ground to Medi. He thought back to how any of the money from the bounty they might have had left is undoubtedly gone. He reached down and picked it up, securing it in the belt of his tunic.

"Thanks Lord Gregor! I'll make sure to spend this on a meal for Azrellia when she wakes up." Medi said as he stepped around to face Gregor directly. "So about my questions. What's with this place? There a war going on? We were sailing our way to The Blessed Isle when that storm hit. So besides this place being called Lethlinburg, I have no real clue where we are." He asked with a bright and curious smile. Medi's eyes locked with Gregor's, deceptively as if he could see with them. He didn't carry the worry or shock of someone who would normally be in this situation. But rather the curiosity of someone excited to learn something new.

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 am

Lord Samuel Emberton

"So what you're telling me is that fool Aerion is currently conversing with Lady Vai?" Lord Samuel Emberton inquired, his unclothed form a shocking sight as he rolled himself out of bed, the form beside him squeaking a protest as she covered herself from the chilly air that touched her skin. The Messenger kept his eyes pointed at the floor, the Lord Emberton was a strong man and not known to lose his temper yet the messenger was not going to tempt him by ogling his wife. Seeing the Messengers obvious embarrassment and hearing his wifes squeak, Samuel smiled and looked over his shoulder at her as he pulled a robe on. "My apologies dear, I'll take this into the other room," he said, the messenger following the lord as he left the bedchamber and entered the small office attached to it.

"You have not answered my question, it was not a rhetorical one," Lord Emberton said as he closed the door behind him. "Yes M'lord, Aerion Brightwater was being allowed entry into the Lady Vais command hall when I left to bring the news," The messenger said, raising his head now, his cheeks still red.

Samuel grunted once and looked a a sheet of paper upon his desk, reading it over once before looking at the messenger again. "Rouse my brother Henry and bring him here," Samuel said, the tone of his voice obviously making the words an order. The messenger bowed once and exited again, hurrying to do his lords bidding.

Barely five minutes had passed before Henry, the third eldest of the Emberton Dragon Bloods and Samuels most trusted advisor, entered the office. In that time Samuel had taken a seat behind the thick oaken desk that was within the office and had begun to leaf through several of the papers. He glanced up once as his brother entered and motioned towards an empty wooden chair in front of the desk. Henry slumped into the desk, the stress of the day evident in how he slumped into the chair. Something was obviously bothering him by the way he scowled at his elder brother, Samuel could already guess what it was but decided to let his brother bring it up if he wished.

It took about half a minute of awkward silence before his brother finally broke the silence, "Damnit Sam, you're really going to make me say it? Alright, why in the hell did you bring Lily along with you? I've kept my mouth shut until now but I can't any longer, your wife for the gods sake, into a war zone, why?" Henry said, the words seeming to explode from him.

Sam smiled across the table at his brother, the amusement evident on his face. "Why not? She's grown up and has bested both me and you in sparring practices, she can handle herself" he said, leaning back into his seat.

"Yes but what if she was hurt or killed, you have no exalted children yet and if she were lost we might loose good feeling with her fathers house, he is our most powerful friend your realize," Henry said.

"Valid points, he is our most powerful friend yes, he is also my direct bannerman. Davos Herrington is a proud man, yet also an extremely honorable one, he would never go back on his duty. Also, Myra is seven and Liam is five, of course I have no exalted children yet, they are not of an age to exalt." Sam said, his smile still on his face.

"Yes but--" Henry said before being cut off.

"We could always take this to the dueling field Henry," Lily Herrington said from beside the now open door, her naked body wrapped in their beds sheets. Henry blushed and began to utter an angry retort before he seemed to realize she was only teasing him, "I'm sorry Lily, I just worry for the family is all," He said

She smiled warmly at the younger man before turning to look at her husband, "Now can you tell him the news so we can go back to bed dear?"

Samuels smile evaporated then, replaced by a grimace. He let out a deep breath through his nose before looking at his brother and saying, "That damned fool Aerion Brightwater, I believe he is trying to slip into bed with house Vai."

Henry blinked once, a brief flash of surprise crossing his face his face before it was replaced by one of rage. "How do you know? What is he doing exactly brother?" he asked as he gently bit his lower lip in a look of thought. "He was seen entering the Lady Vais command tent, alone and seemingly in a good mood, nothing has come back yet," Sam said.

"The idiot is probably out to try and make the Vai princess his wife, I've heard some interesting things about her though, she might just take care of the fool for us." Lily said before yawning once. "If only we were so lucky, what do you wish us to do about it brother?" Henry said.

Sam grimaced then, bringing his hands together as he thought it over. Several seconds passed before he finally said, "Nothing yet, lets wait to see if the young fool will embarrass himself without us having to intervene," Sam said.

Henry nodded once, "I'm going to ready the detachment of heavy horse for tomorrows attack now that I'm awake, I'm still to lead it I assume so will be heading out early," Henry said before smiling at his elder brother and leaving to office. Lily smiled at him before looking to Sam, "You overwork him, it's why he gets so stressed I think,"

"I know I know, he is just so devoted to everything he does and he's my most trustworthy advisor," he said before sighing, "I'll be sure to tone it down some,"

"Good, he deserves a bit of a break. Now, Lord Emberton, you will accompany me back to our bedroom and we are going to resume what we were doing before we were interrupted," Lily said, a giggle escaping her as she saw her husbands face immediately brighten. "Good...good idea.." he muttered as he followed her into the room.
Last edited by Revlona on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lover of doggos

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 am

Antimersia wrote:Medi Munkii

Medi giggles to himself as quietly as he can, watching the verbal scuffles unfold before him. First a spirit, Mephisto. A man after Medi's own heart in a way. He found the spirit amusing, and the power he clearly wielded, tantalizing. Following Mephisto was this young boy that chose to speak spitefully at Gregor. Medi nearly burst out laughing at his feigned strength. Insulting a general while you cower behind soldiers is like complaining about a chef's meal when you can't even peel a vegetable. But Medi held strong. He agreed to pipe down for Gregor, and as much as he would have enjoyed stoking the flames, he never goes back on his word. With the young lord gone, Gregor offers the coin that he tossed on the ground to Medi. He thought back to how any of the money from the bounty they might have had left is undoubtedly gone. He reached down and picked it up, securing it in the belt of his tunic.

"Thanks Lord Gregor! I'll make sure to spend this on a meal for Azrellia when she wakes up." Medi said as he stepped around to face Gregor directly. "So about my questions. What's with this place? There a war going on? We were sailing our way to The Blessed Isle when that storm hit. So besides this place being called Lethlinburg, I have no real clue where we are." He asked with a bright and curious smile. Medi's eyes locked with Gregor's, deceptively as if he could see with them. He didn't carry the worry or shock of someone who would normally be in this situation. But rather the curiosity of someone excited to learn something new.

Gregor - Mr. Exposition

Gregor was of course curious as to how Aerion would respond to his comments, but he did not care too much. If the boy was not willing to fight on the frontlines, then he would miss all the fun. “...His bragging is almost of less worth than the smoke in my pipe...At least the pipe has a purpose...and has actually met someone’s lips.” He chuckled, and then turned back to his boisterous new friend.

He was glad that Medi had behaved for a few moments, if only so the Mahajan Noble could land a verbal blow on Aerion. Once he had started to walk away, however, he slowly turned to face Medi, not waiting long see if the young blonde Noble would show his disgust and attack him. “Hm, let’s see...You are in Lethlinberg, which is north of the Imperial City. It is a city surrounded by forests and tundra. Blizzards are par the course. I would suggest you head to the nearest shelter, if the snow starts to fall heavily,” he explained.

As Medi asked about the war, he twirled his pipe in his hand. “...We are at war with The Bull, a Solar Aspect who is...a menace in every sense of the word. Currently, we have been wearing down his army. It appears we shall be meeting them once again in the next couple of days. They will return to try and break through our fortifications. I wish to meet Lady Zara about how we shall move against them once they return. If you...wish to come with my into the Main Hall...I suggest that you remain quiet, once again. Zara is...not someone who enjoys mischief.”

With this warning, he walked toward the doorway of the Main Hall, and looked in at the open door Aerion had left. “...Lady Zara? I’m sure you are now aware that I’ve been here for some time...but I did wish to speak,” he called.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:40 am

Daana - In The Deep of the Night

Even as the night became dark and hostile to those who were still awake, Daana Mahajan held to the philosophy that he would sleep whenever he was dead. And he did not plan to die any time soon. While Mahajan soldiers were recovering any goods they could from houses, patrolling the city to enforce a curfew, and talking amongst themselves, the general was reading through plans for the upcoming battle. He would wait for any word from Gregor, but he had plans of his own. He would also pass these plans to Ledaal, given that Shan Yui had fainted from exhaustion and someone needed to prep the army. Of course, they did have more than one experienced general, but he knew that no matter who was manning the armies, they were all one unit.

The Bull’s Army would be returning with larger numbers, and so they would have to be pushed back. Even more so, they needed to be cut into pieces. Gregor’s plan had worked the first time, and they had managed at least a couple hundred casualties. Yet they would need to inflict more this time. The Bull had at least 60,000 troops, enough to overwhelm them if they did not strangle their forces. He figured that House Vai already had plans, and he would follow their lead. Yet for now, he stood against one of the inns, holding a map and marking it with an ink feather.

He kept an eye on Aerion’s forces, however, as they walked through town. Scores of people were still out watching them, and he could only suppress a groan. He gathered groups of the soldiers, and he yelled to the populace. “Indoors! Indoors, NOW! What is this, some sort of pageant? THERE IS A CURFEW UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.”

Daana’s shout would have carried through the frozen air, and the people outside watching the Brightwater army rushed into their houses. Once they had scattered and locked their doors, the Mahajan Army then continued to patrol. In the meantime, the general remained where he was, reading his map and marking it occasionally. When Lieutenant Navid watched them pass, he stared back to his superior. “...You don’t think they’ll cause trouble?”

“If they do then you get to handle it. Get some soldiers together and enforce order. If the boy-wonder does anything, THEN I’ll get involved. Now if you’ll excuse me, you have patrolling to do. Daddy’s playing with his maps,” Daana responded, as he stared down at his map once again.
Last edited by Luminesa on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Alan Jackson

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:35 pm

Mencius

Hound work, that's what this was. Going hunting for some tasty morcel to bring to his master's plate. Mencius didn't necessarily resent the idea, however. He was a sworn sword of House Brightwater, to serve the little Prince was his duty, just as it had been to serve his father before him. Things had grown more interesting since the old man's death, what with all the fighting at the border and his Prince's... Proclivities. But so long as he wasn't the one washing the blood out of his Prince's rushes during the night he had no qualms in indulging his appetites. He looked from tent to tent, most had gone inside by now but there were a few servants and camp followers who were finishing up their activities. He finally spied an appropriate target: a comely girl with big green eyes and soft chestnut hair. She was around the same age as the Prince, shapely and pretty. He could see the unease in her eyes as he drew up on his horse.

"Are you a serf my lady?"

"I-I am my Lord-"

"I'm not a Lord, just a servant," Mencius said, his voice was quiet and deep but betrayed no hint of emotion. "Your Prince, the Lord of Brightwater would like to meet you within his tower. Would you like to meet him?"

Giving the girl a choice would make it easier to transport her, and he could see from the light blush on her face and the excitement in her eyes that she wouldn't give up a chance to meet the golden lord for herself.

"Of course!" she said, standing. Mencius pulled her up onto the horse, wondering if she'd ever ridden one before. She wrapped her arms around him as he rode slowly and carefully back to the main road heading towards his Prince's Hall.

As they approached the road however Mencius began noticing that all the tents had closed and as they joined the road 3 soldiers drew up before them, sneers plastered over pox-scarred faces. Their spears seemed to reflect the moonlight as they angled them downwards

"INDOORS INDOORS, LORD MAHAJAN'S CURFEW IS NOT TO BE BROKEN! BACK TO YOUR TENT!"

Small red lotus flowers with leaves of flames were embroidered on the spearmen's chests and Mencius could feel his eyes rolling. The noble house of Mahajan was the tiniest, most runty of the foreigners that claimed to be on par with the houses of the Blessed Isles, and just as much a part of The Realm, the spearmen's squeaky accents were peppered with strange pronunciations. Mencius drew his javelin and glared at them.

"I am carrying out the will of the Noble Prince His Highness Lord Aerion of Brightwater." he said proudly. "And we have too many foes outside of this city for me to want to spill the blood of my allies the evening after a battle. Move aside and forget about this curfew business."
Last edited by Woodstovia on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antimersia
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Antimersia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:46 pm

Medi Munkii

"Oh don't worry! I'll be as polite as I can be!" Medi said, not really grasping the severity of Gregor's warnings. "And thanks for the warning. I might just ask to join in the fight too. I'd like to see this Bull guy in action." Medi follows close behind Gregor, hearing his warning about Zara and shrugging it off casually. "Oh I'm sure she'll like me. Most people do, eventually at least. There was this one guy who was selling fruit. I thought he would like me after I gave him a bunch of money. But he just ran away. Weird guy." Medi could tell that Gregor only half listened. The man was clearly more polite than interested. But, Medi didn't care. He was just enjoying himself.

Medi sensed the hall around him as they stood outside the main hall. Gregor calling in to speak with Zara. Medi swaying back and forth on the balls of his bare feet, acting in a somewhat fidgety manner. His stomach starts to growl and he realizes he hadn't eaten since the day before the shipwreck. Even worse he doesn't even know how many days it has been since the shipwreck. he looks around for any sign of a snack, even peering into the main hall to see if there is any food on the table. Not seeing a morsel he sighs. He turns to the closest guard and asks him, "Hey you guys have a kitchen somewhere around here?" The guard ignores Medi's question, clearly not thinking much of Medi. Medi shrugs it off, turning back to Gregor and the hall, waiting on an answer as to whether they will be let in or not.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:09 pm

Woodstovia wrote:Mencius

Hound work, that's what this was. Going hunting for some tasty morcel to bring to his master's plate. Mencius didn't necessarily resent the idea, however. He was a sworn sword of House Brightwater, to serve the little Prince was his duty, just as it had been to serve his father before him. Things had grown more interesting since the old man's death, what with all the fighting at the border and his Prince's... Proclivities. But so long as he wasn't the one washing the blood out of his Prince's rushes during the night he had no qualms in indulging his appetites. He looked from tent to tent, most had gone inside by now but there were a few servants and camp followers who were finishing up their activities. He finally spied an appropriate target: a comely girl with big green eyes and soft chestnut hair. She was around the same age as the Prince, shapely and pretty. He could see the unease in her eyes as he drew up on his horse.

"Are you a serf my lady?"

"I-I am my Lord-"

"I'm not a Lord, just a servant," Mencius said, his voice was quiet and deep but betrayed no hint of emotion. "Your Prince, the Lord of Brightwater would like to meet you within his tower. Would you like to meet him?"

Giving the girl a choice would make it easier to transport her, and he could see from the light blush on her face and the excitement in her eyes that she wouldn't give up a chance to meet the golden lord for herself.

"Of course!" she said, standing. Mencius pulled her up onto the horse, wondering if she'd ever ridden one before. She wrapped her arms around him as he rode slowly and carefully back to the main road heading towards his Prince's Hall.

As they approached the road however Mencius began noticing that all the tents had closed and as they joined the road 3 soldiers drew up before them, sneers plastered over pox-scarred faces. Their spears seemed to reflect the moonlight as they angled them downwards

"INDOORS INDOORS, LORD MAHAJAN'S CURFEW IS NOT TO BE BROKEN! BACK TO YOUR TENT!"

Small red lotus flowers with leaves of flames were embroidered on the spearmen's chests and Mencius could feel his eyes rolling. The noble house of Mahajan was the tiniest, most runty of the foreigners that claimed to be on par with the houses of the Blessed Isles, and just as much a part of The Realm, the spearmen's squeaky accents were peppered with strange pronunciations. Mencius drew his javelin and glared at them.

"I am carrying out the will of the Noble Prince His Highness Lord Aerion of Brightwater." he said proudly. "And we have too many foes outside of this city for me to want to spill the blood of my allies the evening after a battle. Move aside and forget about this curfew business."

House Mahajan - Enemies

Navid was not a man made of steel, but given that he did not want to be scolded by Gregor or Daana for a second time this evening, he would do as he said and would stand tall. One of Aerion's men rode over on a horse, as Mahajan's soldiers were ordering the civilians to stay inside their homes. They were tall, muscular, and had a cold aura about them as they approached. Navid did not like these sorts of people, the ones who thought their status meant they could gloat over their men. Even if Gregor was a strict ruler, even a harsh one at times, his men were his own, and he did not use his soldiers to bully the populace.

"My name is Navid Mahajan, I am a Lieutenant of House Mahajan. I have been given orders by Lord Gregor Mahajan and General Daana Mahajan to enforce a curfew on the citizens of Lethlinberg. It is for their safety, as we do not know when the Bull shall return. If your men are patrolling the city, or if they are members of one of the Houses, this does not apply to them. But the young lady with you does not wear a mark of a House on her clothes, I will presume she is a citizen of Lethlinberg." He walked over to the side, so Mencius's horse would not potentially try to trample him. Navid did not want to frighten the woman, however, and motioned for the nearby soldiers not to come too close unless ordered.

"Good evening, Miss, be sure to return to your quarters. We are enforcing a curfew for the safety of our citizens. If you live in the Western or Eastern District, you'll need to return to the respective shelter while we assess the damage to your home." He was polite but firm, as someone in authority who wanted to be reasonable. He had felt guilt over not being able to care for Azrellia, but he hoped he could make-up for his lack of finesse by caring for a normal citizen.

Daana kept his distance, still posting himself outside one of the inns, but Mencius's horse was loud and its presence announced itself. Slowly, he lowered his map so that he could peer at the interaction between his men and this member of Brightwater. He most likely would not respect Navid, though he was doing his best. In such an instance, he hoped calling to his authority would mean something. If not, he'd have to be involved, and he would have rather been shooting fireballs at Orcs.
-Alan Jackson

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:26 pm

Mencius

Mencius' face had remained cold and expressionless throughout his interactions with the House Mahajan men but it grew angered upon the words of the lieutenant who first invoked his family and then presumed to go over Mencius' head by first talking to the serf, as if she was the one in command and what Mencius thought made no difference. Mencius turned his horse slightly so that the lieutenant was once again facing him, and bowed as befitted the son of a minor house before the woman piped up.

"B-but you can't take me back." her voice was laced with a mixture of confusion and feat. "The Prince wants me. The Prince! His hair is long and curly blonde and his eyes are so blue and he wants me in his hall."

Mencius rolled his eyes "If it's safety you're concerned with then have no fear, she'll be safer with the Prince than out here with this rabble. It'll be here the Bull hits first not the Hall and she'll be with an exalted not some poxy spearmen." He spat on the ground but away from any of the Mahajan men. "I understand you're just doing your duty for your lord, we all are. But I'm not under your jurisdiction and there's nowhere safer the lass can be tonight unless Lady Vai wants her for a tumble. Let us through."

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Zara Azairya Vai

Zara nodded and Gregor was allowed entry. Medi however was stopped by a sudden crossing of the guards glaives. Zara perked up an eyebrow at this development, and to the strange man's words, "What jester do you have with you now, Lord Gregor?" She straightened her back and flicked a hand in the vague direction of the guards. Guards who slowly separated their glaives to allow Medi entry into the hall. Her mouth already following up this initial inquiry with another statement which seemed to eject the first from the conversation. A rhetorical question perhaps, "Well? What do you wish to discuss, that be so urgent for you to come here yourself?" Her raised eyebrow rising further as she awaited Gregor's response.

Outside, night fell into total darkness as Luna's throne rose in the sky. While in the distance, around the city, the fires of the enemy winked into existence as their own encampments settled for another night.
Resident Fox lover
If you don't hear from me for a while...I'm inna woods.
NS' Unofficial Adult Actress.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:18 pm

Mencius' face had remained cold and expressionless throughout his interactions with the House Mahajan men but it grew angered upon the words of the lieutenant who first invoked his family and then presumed to go over Mencius' head by first talking to the serf, as if she was the one in command and what Mencius thought made no difference. Mencius turned his horse slightly so that the lieutenant was once again facing him, and bowed as befitted the son of a minor house before the woman piped up.

"B-but you can't take me back." her voice was laced with a mixture of confusion and feat. "The Prince wants me. The Prince! His hair is long and curly blonde and his eyes are so blue and he wants me in his hall."

Mencius rolled his eyes "If it's safety you're concerned with then have no fear, she'll be safer with the Prince than out here with this rabble. It'll be here the Bull hits first not the Hall and she'll be with an exalted not some poxy spearmen." He spat on the ground but away from any of the Mahajan men. "I understand you're just doing your duty for your lord, we all are. But I'm not under your jurisdiction and there's nowhere safer the lass can be tonight unless Lady Vai wants her for a tumble. Let us through."

Navid Mahajan - Points of Authority

Navid was not looking to make anyone angry by his words, as he was only enforcing what Gregor had seen as best for the people. The woman, who was dressed in rags and who looked confused, was probably cold and needed to get into a shelter. He figured he could make-up for the ruckus of some other Mahajan soldiers by acting respectfully toward her. "Listen, miss, it would be safer for you to remain in your shelter. Once you have spoken to the...Prince..." Navid stumbled for a moment, as he did not remember Aerion's name or title. "...Once you've spoken to him, you'll need to go back to a shelter for the evening and remain there. That way we can keep a head-count of everyone from their respective districts."

Unfortunately, Mencius did make a point in saying that she would be safe with an Exalted. Of course, not all Exalted were kind or gentle, but Navid did not know Aerion well. He had seen his long-haired visage passing in the streets, but Daana had not reacted with admiration toward him. On the other hand, Daana was tricky about who he liked and did not like. He fought with the decision, despite Mencius turning his horse with an aggressive clop to try and assert his dominance. "...However...if Prince Aerion does wish to keep you for the entire evening, one of our soldiers can make sure to check on you in the morning. Please understand, we do have your best intentions at heart, and our shelter is manned by quite a lot of guards. And we need to make sure no more lives are lost," he explained.

Daana did not like the smell of the circumstance. Navid was nervous, when he should have held his chest forward. He had used Daana and Gregor's authority, he needed to wield it. Then again, the young man knew he could not make a superior officer follow his orders. He was speaking to the woman, because his duty was to protect. Yet the Mahajan General knew he would have to do more than just talk down a hostile general. "Are you kids behaving yourselves over there?!" he called over to his lieutenant, who whirled his head around to see him. The General gave a saucy sort of wave toward Mencius, though his eyes meant to say he was keeping an eye on him. "Don't make Daddy have to come break-up a fight, huh?"
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:30 pm

Imperialisium wrote:Zara Azairya Vai

Zara nodded and Gregor was allowed entry. Medi however was stopped by a sudden crossing of the guards glaives. Zara perked up an eyebrow at this development, and to the strange man's words, "What jester do you have with you now, Lord Gregor?" She straightened her back and flicked a hand in the vague direction of the guards. Guards who slowly separated their glaives to allow Medi entry into the hall. Her mouth already following up this initial inquiry with another statement which seemed to eject the first from the conversation. A rhetorical question perhaps, "Well? What do you wish to discuss, that be so urgent for you to come here yourself?" Her raised eyebrow rising further as she awaited Gregor's response.

Outside, night fell into total darkness as Luna's throne rose in the sky. While in the distance, around the city, the fires of the enemy winked into existence as their own encampments settled for another night.

Gregor - Stuck In The Middle With You

Gregor did not initially answer Medi, when he demonstrated his excitement over being involved in a battle. He would find a use for him-he could find a use for almost anyone. However, he currently had other issues on his mind. The evening had not been kind to him, and now he needed to talk to Lady Zara. "She will tolerate you as long as you show respect. She has not met you, first impressions are everything," he warned the young man. He then walked into the building as soon as the guards allowed him inside the hall.

His black mink blended with the darkness, so much that when he approached Zara, he looked like a red-and-black shadow with smoke emanating from it. He did not pay attention to his new companion behind him. At the moment, he wanted to talk to Zara and be done with the matter. "Lady Zara, I-" He heard the clinking of glaives behind him, and he turned to see Medi begging the guards for some food. His intrusion was not welcome, and Gregor almost tensed at the idea of the young man being punished by someone like Zara. He was glad she could not see the slight worry in his face. "...Gah...he followed me here. Ah...I'll see about bringing him to the shelter to eat something, pardon this slight."

He then turned away from Medi, and took another smoke. "...Given the size of the endeavor we will be undertaking, I wanted to know how you plan to cut through the Bull's army and to perhaps make them...easier to digest, for lack of a better phrase. We are going to have quite the enemy on our hands, and I am looking to carry this information to Ledaal's commanders as well. Chain of command explained that...well...Shan Yui suffered exhaustion from his exploits on the battlefield, and I would rather all sides be informed of their place come the morning. I would also like to know how soon we should expect the Bull's army to return. That...seems as if it shall be soon, given they only needed to grab reserves and rest. But given that we have endured these last few battles with some success, we need to find a way to cause a decisive blow that will send them away."
-Alan Jackson

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:39 pm

Mencius

This was the height of ridiculousness to Mencius. Now he had truly seen it all. 3 foreign bastards claiming that they'd keep the peace amongst Brightwater men. That it was their duty to count their numbers, to stroll around ordering them to and fro. And now this. They'd come and check on her? For half a heartbeat he considered taking them up on the offer. Let them come. We'll wheel out the wine and cheese and they'll see the lass with one less eye, no tongue, and a dog chewing at her heart. Oh, and they'd get Nimble Dick and the singer to entertain them as they watched the show. That'd be a sight.

"No." he snapped, looked incredulous. "What you think we can't keep our own bloody body count and send you a report. What will you be barging in our soldier's tents and checking every one of them for any strays or to check they're all up and awake? And if I said yes and we barred the gates you'd what? Kick them down? Would you punish the Prince if he didn't show you her or if by some bizarre miracle she was dead? What would you do? Would you hang him? Mount his head on a spike outside your own camp? You have some bloody nerve presuming you can order the Prince to hand her over at a snap of your grubby little serf fingers."

He turned his head to the lieutenant. Another damned flower gawking at him, braying about "daddies" and kids.

"You tell your bloody men that if they start threatening my Prince or giving him orders one more time that we'll be throwing flowers down off the keep the morrow to entertain the lads. They ought to be swallowing soap the way they disregard an Exalted Prince..." he gave another spit "Besides ther Prince needs me to start making his mulled wine before he sleeps, so much cinnamon and so much nutmeg and so much honey, not a drop more. Raisins and nuts and dried berries, finish with lemon." he had meant it as a lighthearted sort of comment but he couldn't quite finish it with the grin he'd intended. The matter of fact was that he was late... Why did that fill him with fear? He'd seen the little lad waddle around since he was born, and saw him strut around as a big lad too. Helped him hold a sword and a bow and a spear. So why was he scared?

My now a few more Brightwater guards were approaching the fracas, a few spearmen, and bows. That calmed him a little and he ran his thumb over the javelin he had in his hand. "So I'll give you another chance. Move."

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:04 am

This was the height of ridiculousness to Mencius. Now he had truly seen it all. 3 foreign bastards claiming that they'd keep the peace amongst Brightwater men. That it was their duty to count their numbers, to stroll around ordering them to and fro. And now this. They'd come and check on her? For half a heartbeat he considered taking them up on the offer. Let them come. We'll wheel out the wine and cheese and they'll see the lass with one less eye, no tongue, and a dog chewing at her heart. Oh, and they'd get Nimble Dick and the singer to entertain them as they watched the show. That'd be a sight.

"No." he snapped, looked incredulous. "What you think we can't keep our own bloody body count and send you a report. What will you be barging in our soldier's tents and checking every one of them for any strays or to check they're all up and awake? And if I said yes and we barred the gates you'd what? Kick them down? Would you punish the Prince if he didn't show you her or if by some bizarre miracle she was dead? What would you do? Would you hang him? Mount his head on a spike outside your own camp? You have some bloody nerve presuming you can order the Prince to hand her over at a snap of your grubby little serf fingers."

He turned his head to the lieutenant. Another damned flower gawking at him, braying about "daddies" and kids.

"You tell your bloody men that if they start threatening my Prince or giving him orders one more time that we'll be throwing flowers down off the keep the morrow to entertain the lads. They ought to be swallowing soap the way they disregard an Exalted Prince..." he gave another spit "Besides ther Prince needs me to start making his mulled wine before he sleeps, so much cinnamon and so much nutmeg and so much honey, not a drop more. Raisins and nuts and dried berries, finish with lemon." he had meant it as a lighthearted sort of comment but he couldn't quite finish it with the grin he'd intended. The matter of fact was that he was late... Why did that fill him with fear? He'd seen the little lad waddle around since he was born, and saw him strut around as a big lad too. Helped him hold a sword and a bow and a spear. So why was he scared?

My now a few more Brightwater guards were approaching the fracas, a few spearmen, and bows. That calmed him a little and he ran his thumb over the javelin he had in his hand. "So I'll give you another chance. Move."

Daana Mahajan - I’ll Make a Man Out of You

“Oh don’t lose all your hot air over him, will you? He’s only doing the work I sent him to do.” Daana did not like seeing an ally aim lances at his lieutenant unless he had warranted such a response. He put away his map and walked over to the mess, watching as some of the Brightwater soldiers began to approach as well. “Nobody is giving Prince Charming orders. We’re only interested in the welfare of the people in this city. If you say she’ll be safe, you are an ally and I’ll hold you to your honor. Not that I’m the most honorable man myself, but I get the job done.”

Hearing about the Prince’s needs before he slept, however, made Daana force himself to conceal his laughter. Mencius spoke of his prince as if he was a child who required sweets at every moment. Oh no, THIS is the boy they serve? A little boy who needs his sugar before he sleeps? Gods forbid, I’m SHAKING. He settled for a tamer comment, though the image of a needy child requiring his fancy drink before he slept tickled his gut.

“Well listen, perhaps once he finally feels the tender love of a young lady that’ll be sweeter than wine with honey and berries. And then he can drink with the men and we’ll hand him some nice liquor. Put some fire in his gut, it’s too cold for anything else.” He gave a crackling chuckle, releasing just a little of the glee brewing in his stomach. “If that’s all you require then we’ll be out of your way. We will continue to patrol, however, so if you’ll call off your guards and take the lady to make a man out of your general, we’ll be on our way.”

Navid was a bit scared of his general’s boldness, but Daana gave firm eye contact and never lost his knowing smile. In case of a fight, he kept a hand on his sheath, ready to demonstrate his fighting prowess. Even if he was exhausted, he could always summon some energy to show the power of his House. A midnight sky would make an excellent canvas for a crimson flame burning a body and making an example of some uppity soldiers.
Last edited by Luminesa on Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Alan Jackson

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:33 am

Mencius

Mencius dipped his head and his lance at the intervention of the lieutenant, despite his mild annoyance (and amusement) at his comments about his Prince. "As you say, My Lord, on my honour..." he grimaced and began muttering under his breath "Gods..." Torches were moving out from the hall where Aerion had made his residence, and as they drew closer he could also see the banner of the fox flying proudly. He'd made his personal standard half red half white for a time just to annoy his father he reflected as Aerion drew up on the crowd. He was surrounded by 4 cavalrymen all heavily armoured and his standard bearer rode behind them. He was wearing a heavy fox-fur coat above his robes.

"Mencius you old fool what's taking so long?" he snapped, his voice was thick and slightly slurred. He's tipsy. Mencius realised, admiring for a second how well he still rode a horse. The Brightwater men all immediately knelt and Mencius bowed low on his destrier. Gods please let the Mahajan's bow. I know your knees are stiff but things will only get worse. "Is this the girl?" he looked her over and nodded approvingly. "Maybe you wanted a taste first?" he giggled, the men laughed nervously with their Prince. "Maybe I'll need to take your cock off or maybe some hot pincers to the tongue? My rude man, you soiled your Prince's goods!"

"No My Prince I was held-"

"Oh learn to take a joke or I will take that cock." Aerion scowled, waving him off "Away! Have her taken to the drawing room and ready the wine and the cleaning staff. I had Hera make my wine but she's no good! No good! Not as good as my loyal Mencius..." the girl was bright red as Mencius began riding off. But then he paused just before properly leaving

"My Prince the Mahajan commander did make several comments about your manhood. I thought you should know." Mencius rode into the night as Aerion turned angrily on the man.

"Kneel! Kneel for the Prince!" Aerion yelled, drawing his sword and waving it aimlessly in the air. His voice sounded heavier with drunken idiocy with every passing moment. "And when I bed lady Vai I'll be the Emperor." he giggled, "The Scarlet Emperor! Or maybe the Orange Emperor. Orange and White~! You'll all be my toys and march march march to my enemies." he swung the sword around and pointed it at the commander "March!" he hissed, suddenly full of anger "March for me or my brother Lucien will kill you all! To uhh..." he swung two and fro, looking around the camp and pointed with his sword at a tree "To the tree!"

The House Brightwater men didn't seem to quite know what to make of their Lord. Most had risen, a few drew their weapons anticipating a fight, others just looked confused.

Antimersia
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Antimersia » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:59 am

Medi Munkii

Medi stepped close to the door behind Gregor only to be stopped by the crossing glaives. Medi's head swiveled between them. "Oh I'm with the big guy. But if you wanna keep me around I'd gladly stay for some food. Preferably meat." He heard Zara give them the order to let him in and stepped beyond the door into the hall, smiling widely at Zara as he approached. He took a moment to look at her. Feeling for a moment that she looked familiar. Her eyes especially. It had something to do with all of his lessons on being a lord back at Brightwork, but he couldn't place it at the moment. Considering Gregor's headings of her strictness and the need to be polite, Medi swallowed his pride and did the lordly thing. "I appreciate the honor, my lady. I'm Maediacles of house Munkii. Glad to meet-" Medi stopped halfway when her eyes met his. "Oh wow, your eyes are amazing!" Medi said, genuinely excited about them, even if acting inappropriately informal considering his present company.

Gregor ignored Medi's rambles and went right to speaking about the war situation. Medi listened intently. He was no tactician, but he loved a good fight. Even ones that he loses. Plus he figured that these people saved him and Azrellia. The least he could do is help in a battle or two in return. As he listens he returns to swaying on the balls of his feet, hating the feeling of not actively doing something.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:54 am

Mencius dipped his head and his lance at the intervention of the lieutenant, despite his mild annoyance (and amusement) at his comments about his Prince. "As you say, My Lord, on my honour..." he grimaced and began muttering under his breath "Gods..." Torches were moving out from the hall where Aerion had made his residence, and as they drew closer he could also see the banner of the fox flying proudly. He'd made his personal standard half red half white for a time just to annoy his father he reflected as Aerion drew up on the crowd. He was surrounded by 4 cavalrymen all heavily armoured and his standard bearer rode behind them. He was wearing a heavy fox-fur coat above his robes.

"Mencius you old fool what's taking so long?" he snapped, his voice was thick and slightly slurred. He's tipsy. Mencius realised, admiring for a second how well he still rode a horse. The Brightwater men all immediately knelt and Mencius bowed low on his destrier. Gods please let the Mahajan's bow. I know your knees are stiff but things will only get worse. "Is this the girl?" he looked her over and nodded approvingly. "Maybe you wanted a taste first?" he giggled, the men laughed nervously with their Prince. "Maybe I'll need to take your cock off or maybe some hot pincers to the tongue? My rude man, you soiled your Prince's goods!"

"No My Prince I was held-"

"Oh learn to take a joke or I will take that cock." Aerion scowled, waving him off "Away! Have her taken to the drawing room and ready the wine and the cleaning staff. I had Hera make my wine but she's no good! No good! Not as good as my loyal Mencius..." the girl was bright red as Mencius began riding off. But then he paused just before properly leaving

"My Prince the Mahajan commander did make several comments about your manhood. I thought you should know." Mencius rode into the night as Aerion turned angrily on the man.

"Kneel! Kneel for the Prince!" Aerion yelled, drawing his sword and waving it aimlessly in the air. His voice sounded heavier with drunken idiocy with every passing moment. "And when I bed lady Vai I'll be the Emperor." he giggled, "The Scarlet Emperor! Or maybe the Orange Emperor. Orange and White~! You'll all be my toys and march march march to my enemies." he swung the sword around and pointed it at the commander "March!" he hissed, suddenly full of anger "March for me or my brother Lucien will kill you all! To uhh..." he swung two and fro, looking around the camp and pointed with his sword at a tree "To the tree!"

The House Brightwater men didn't seem to quite know what to make of their Lord. Most had risen, a few drew their weapons anticipating a fight, others just looked confused.

Daana Mahajan - The Bigger Man

Mencius was going to leave the conversation with little more than some grumbling, and Daana was going to be happy to drag Navid away from this confrontation. Yet neither side got their peace, as another disturbance fell upon them. A loud, high-pitched voice called over the crowd, and Daana turned to see a stumbling head of golden hair bobbing through the throngs of onlookers. Aerion had managed to make his way into the fray, and he was already unsteady on his feet.

“...Oh no...he’s drunk...” Navid murmured.

“Shhhh.”

Daana hid his smile, and he put a serious expression forward as he walked toward the young Prince. At least six feet tall and over two hundred pounds, the Mahajan General looked like a formidable adversary even without using fire. He put a hand over his sheath, but did not draw his sword. Rather, he watched as Aerion made an absolute fool of himself. He spoke quite crassly about the young peasant woman-something he would be hypocritical to denounce. He was a little more shocked, however, at the way the young Prince spoke to his second-in-command. He was openly disparaging him as an opportunistic predator, though Mencius had hardly touched the girl.

Navid also cringed at the way Aerion talked, but he was more concerned for the girl. Aerion was blackout drunk, slurring his speech and talking about the girl with a rough tone. He could not be certain anymore that she would be safe. He kept aiming his eyes at Daana, but the General did not meet them. In fact, he was too busy exploding with laughter to even notice.

“AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA?! YOU?! TIE DOWN LADY VAI?! BED HER AND BECOME THE EMPEROR?! Oh Heavens, I NEEDED this laugh. OH. I’ve...Oh gods...” Daana wiped away a tear or two before he continued to speak. Several of Mahajan’s soldiers had also started laughing, though Navid was still rather afraid. “Oh goodness...that...that is quite funny...WHEW. Ahem!” He coughed, and tried to regather his composure. He then nodded to Mencius, almost sympathetic now to his situation.

“You see, good General, this is why I suggested you need to perhaps wean him off his sugary wines and give him a nice girl to kiss. He doesn’t know his restraints and he does foolish things without a care for his dignity! Ahhh but now he’s drunk on that honeyed wine...look at him, acting a fool. Young man needs to go straight to bed, and we need not fight over this. What is there to fight? He will have a scorching headache in the morning, and you will have to bear the brunt of it,” Daana explained, addressing the men who were also armed and waiting to fight.

Navid finally made his way beside Daana, and began to poke his arm.

“For goodness sakes, WHAT, Navid.”

“Uhhh...and the girl?”

The Mahajan leader nodded, and he took a look at the peasant girl with a sigh. “Unfortunately there’s...not much we can do. If she doesn’t go with him...hm...” he suggested.

“We can’t get involved?” Navid questioned, shocked.

“If she’s one of his, she has to make the choice. Ultimately, the Prince gets to face far worse consequences than we could give him by taking away the girl. Of course, he IS drunk and violent...” He turned to Mencius, giving him a questioning look. “Do you really think he is in his right mind to spend an evening with this lady without harming her? Given he is not sober, you are the man to make a call on his behalf.”
Last edited by Luminesa on Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Alan Jackson

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:44 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Imperialisium wrote:Zara Azairya Vai

Gregor - Stuck In The Middle With You

Gregor did not initially answer Medi, when he demonstrated his excitement over being involved in a battle. He would find a use for him-he could find a use for almost anyone. However, he currently had other issues on his mind. The evening had not been kind to him, and now he needed to talk to Lady Zara. "She will tolerate you as long as you show respect. She has not met you, first impressions are everything," he warned the young man. He then walked into the building as soon as the guards allowed him inside the hall.

His black mink blended with the darkness, so much that when he approached Zara, he looked like a red-and-black shadow with smoke emanating from it. He did not pay attention to his new companion behind him. At the moment, he wanted to talk to Zara and be done with the matter. "Lady Zara, I-" He heard the clinking of glaives behind him, and he turned to see Medi begging the guards for some food. His intrusion was not welcome, and Gregor almost tensed at the idea of the young man being punished by someone like Zara. He was glad she could not see the slight worry in his face. "...Gah...he followed me here. Ah...I'll see about bringing him to the shelter to eat something, pardon this slight."

He then turned away from Medi, and took another smoke. "...Given the size of the endeavor we will be undertaking, I wanted to know how you plan to cut through the Bull's army and to perhaps make them...easier to digest, for lack of a better phrase. We are going to have quite the enemy on our hands, and I am looking to carry this information to Ledaal's commanders as well. Chain of command explained that...well...Shan Yui suffered exhaustion from his exploits on the battlefield, and I would rather all sides be informed of their place come the morning. I would also like to know how soon we should expect the Bull's army to return. That...seems as if it shall be soon, given they only needed to grab reserves and rest. But given that we have endured these last few battles with some success, we need to find a way to cause a decisive blow that will send them away."

Zara Azairya Vai

A decisive blow. Yes, not like I have been here twiddling my thumbs the entire time. Thank you for the most obvious statement of the decade Gregor. Zara pushed the annoyance of the same inane question being asked of her in rapid succession and spoke level headed, "Cavalry will be marshalling before dawn outside the North Gate, staying hidden, until as dawn's light comes over the horizon a mass charge will punch through the less entrenched positions to the North. The enemy has had much less time to prepare defensive positions in that sector. Upon punching through the cavalry will wheel around to throw the enemy off balance. They will be forced to divert considerable forces to protect against our horsemen. Greatly weakening any assault they may have had planned and possibly, should casualties be high enough for them, they will withdraw away in retreat." Zara finished as she eyed Medi. Waving a servant over who brought the man a small plate of cold meats and rice. Not much of a meal but Zara was enforcing rationing on herself as well. The servant, a short Lethlinburg girl with brown hair drawn back into a pony tail gingerly placed the plate before him. Alongside a knife and wooden spoon. A cup of mead complimenting this plate shortly after.

"If that is all I will be retiring for the night Lord Gregor." Zara turned on her heel and left without giving him the opportunity to answer.

Early Morning

Upon Zara's orders the lamps and torches around Lethlinburg had been snuffed out. Casting the city into smothering blackness. Dousing all in even darker bleakness amid the chilly landscape. While the Northern Gate shuffled with armored men and clopping horses moving out of the gate. Hushed whispers and hurrying feet as thousands of horsemen, Vai and vassals, some Cathak, some Ledaal, Emberton, Brightwater, and other houses moved on snow muffled boots to the exterior of the city. Moving from darkness to darkness. Upon entry the men were subject to having to have their steeds kneel into the snow while they crouched or laid alongside. So as to not rouse suspicion from any enemy sentries that may have wandered incredibly close to the torch less walls.

"Come on men, come on," muttered Barisan as men moved together under furled banners. Kept lowered and folded as to not be seen by the enemy's prying eyes. The environment around them was utterly dark and possibly even nauseating for those unaccustomed to such cold nothing filling their vision. There the men laid as time marched on. Even when lights in the distance began to come alight.

Indeed, around Lethlinburg in a large semi-circle, starting in the East and then radiating South and around to the West. Just to the silently awaiting horsemen's right, towards the East, they could see these lights. Followed by the dim winding clanks of metal and wood. Floom. Whooshing sounds grew quickly in audible sound as heavy objects sailed into the walls, towers, and into the structures of the city. Cries in the distance, within the city, erupted as the expected preparatory bombardment for the also expected grand assault of the enemy upon the city of Lethlinburg commenced. Yet, there was no response from the Imperial artillery. No lights nor retaliatory fire. Instead, the Imperial artillerymen remained crouched next to their own war machines. While the walls began to shift as archers and crossbowmen silently took up their positions. Finally, to the East, a thin strip of red came into being. The Sun was beginning it's ascent.

Barisan lost track of the minutes. For it must have been over an hour out in the cold before the walls when he first noticed the rising Sun beginning its ascent. All the while the enemy artillery pounded the walls, towers, and buildings of Lethlinburgs Eastern, Southern, and Western districts. But he had to wait no longer as the signal for the charge was flung behind them. The Imperial artillery opened up with a timed release of their ordinance all at once. Imperial trebuchet and inner wall mounted catapults tossing their own ordinance high into the air to crash amid the enemy Siege lines. Heavy puffs of snow heralded their streaking impact.

"Mount!" shouted Barisan. A cry repeated by many officers of the vanguard, centre, and rear of the planned charge. The horsemen with practiced precision brought their steeds to standing and flung one leg over the saddle. Sliding into place as they hefted their lances. Pulling into long lines of over two hundred abreast a large rumble of hooves beginning to shift forward in one mass formation. The vanguard, centre, and rear separating by over two dozen meters as banners unfurled. The cavalry left the vicinity of the walls and began to pick up the pace. Mighty warhorses blowing streaks of hot air from their flaring nostrils as they forced their muscled mass forward at an rising pace. The horsemen upon them looking side to side and before them to keep position.

Before them the enemy lines increased in size as they drew closer. Harsh horns cascading before them like a brutal chorus to their ears. The enemy sentries fleeing frantically to their lines as the Imperial cavalry, silhouetted by the darkness of the ground and brightness of the newly risen Sun, increased to canter. Briskly coming to the gallop as the vanguard's first rank lowered their lances. Before them, though Barisan could not well see given his position in the first rank of the centre battle formation, he could see off to the sides hundreds of enemy warriors coming together and trying to order themselves as the cavalry made impact with hurriedly assembled platoons of enemy troops. Trampling through tents, knocking over still warm pots full of breakfast stew, and slamming into frantic individual groups of enemy warriors with all the force of a thunderclap. The Imperial Cavalry was among the enemy siege lines painting the snow red with the trampled dying and the skewered dead.

Citadel

Zara watched the Imperial Cavalry begin their charge through her spyglass. Held to her left eye. Seemingly ignoring the shrieking impacts of the enemy artillery, answered by the winching wumpf of the retaliating Imperial pieces. Ryamis Cathak tapped her shoulder and pointed to the South. "Enemy infantry advancing with siege ladders."

"Signal the missile troops to open fire as soon as they're in range," replied Zara smoothly. Ryamis nodded and ordered a signalman to deliver the orders via a complex combination of flag signals.

Swifting to the West she saw much the same, except for a mass of enemy infantry swinging like a hinge to head North. Protecting their flank as predicted. Wheeling in a 180 degree turn to the East she saw a similar sight. A few thousand enemy soldiers had been peeled off to draw up on their flank. A few thousand less attacking the walls.
Resident Fox lover
If you don't hear from me for a while...I'm inna woods.
NS' Unofficial Adult Actress.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:21 am

Eugeni/Shan Yui - Morning Blues

Soft waves in a low tide. The moonlight glowing through the curtains. Soft, connected breathing, quiet stars peeking through the window from the skies above. Shan Yui and Eugeni did have a few nosy celestial bodies staring in at them during the night, but they were respectful and quiet. The stars in the sky had come to signal peace for an evening, for the city of Lethlinberg, and would not disturb two leaders who were so desperate to sleep.

Yet the morning fell not with the moonlight turning to sunbeams, or with a rooster crowing, but with the motion of a hand stroking cotton under its fingertips. Shan Yui awakened early, as he usually did, and he looked at the figure sleeping in his arms. Eugeni had kept his promise to stay. He was still, but Shan could tell he had moved closer during the night, perhaps unconsciously. His face against his heart, and he felt his breath on his chest. His eyelashes were long and silken, and never even flickered as Shan stroked his back.

“...My Lord...Eugeni...you really...stayed to console me...Oh...”

He brushed a hand over his cheek. It was still like peach-fuzz, not scarred or coarse like that of more experienced warriors. Eugeni’s lashes shivered, but he still did not move. He held Eugeni’s cheeks in his hands, and gazed at him. Shan Yui’s heart pounded. He felt as if he was guarding a beautiful porcelain statue, a Pygmalion’s creation in rest.

“You are...so perfect...You are sunlight and the summer breeze...the freshest honey...the whispers of the fae in a virgin forest...I...”

“...Mhm...hm...” Eugeni began to stir awake, and as he did, he felt the hands cupping his cheeks. His eyes opened to meet Shan Yui’s face, and for a moment, both men stared at each other in mystified silence. The Ledaal’s eyes widened, and his blush became bubblegum-pink again.

“...Good morning, my...my Lord...” Shan Yui stammered, breaking the silence in a quiet, dawn-hued whisper.

Eugeni’s heart stirred. Oh how he had wondered if anyone would ever tell him ‘good morning’ in such a manner. Embracing him face-to-face, simple, and straightforward. This ‘good morning’ was for the moment, before either of them moved to face the day. Before anything else could stain their minds. He lie there and just felt the sensation of someone holding his face, gazing at him with such...devotion. His eyes began to sparkle with tiny beads of tears. “...Good...good morning, General...” he breathed.

“...Eugeni...” Shan Yui used his thumbs to wipe his tears. He caught them like gold coins, gathering them into his palms. “...Did...Did you sleep well?...”

The Ledaal scion nodded. “...Did you...” His own heart began to pace. When Shan Yui nodded, he continued to stare, and then gave a sweet smile. “...How lovely...We...kept away the nightmares together, did we not?...”

The general swallowed and then nodded again. Eugeni was smiling at him, and nobody else. His eyes were alight with wonder.

“...Can we lie here...for a few more minutes?...I’m...warm...” the Ledaal noble admitted, still blushing.

“...Of course...Whatever you want of me...” Shan Yui pulled Eugeni against his chest and squeezed him once. His own voice was ragged and tender, and he shivered as the younger man sighed and fell back to sleep against his chest. He felt wet tears drip into his shirt.

“...My sweet lord...I would order the moon to retake her station for you, if only you asked...Please...stay...as long as you need me...” He held Eugeni close and rocked him in his arms, gazing upon the lovely Noble until he himself fell back to sleep.

Yet their quiet morning did not get to last for too long. Noise and activity began outside in the inn, especially downstairs, and Shan Yui found himself groaning awake an hour later. A soldier knocked at the door, just as Shan Yui decided to peel himself away from the gentle Noble hugging him close. "Ah...what is it? Who's there?"

"General! We must get ready, we are charging the Bull's forces this morning!"

The general blinked. "...The cavalry, yes..." He yawned and stretched, and looked at Eugeni. He had not even budged. Shan Yui stared at him for a few moments, dreading the fact that the night had passed so quickly. If only this day was already over, and they had won, he could just lie back down and let the Ledaal noble embrace his wounds until they healed. "...Yes, I shall be with you in a moment...In a moment..." he murmured. When the soldier walked away, he began to grab more substantial clothing, and started to dress himself. He sighed under his breath, just as Eugeni awakened.

"...Oh...is it time to get up?" he murmured, as he sat upright in bed. His bedhead made his hair look like a sheep's wooly coat. His gold eyes twinkled in the dim light of the morning, even under drowsy eyelids. Shan Yui swiftly turned his head as Eugeni looked toward him. "...I...probably should head back to my room...my clothes are not in here..." He got out the bed, and stared as the general put the outer layer of his kimono over a thin underlayer. He found his armor and began to strap it over his clothing, and Shan Yui let him. His hands were more careful about pinching and pulling. "...Hm...Perhaps I should have...stayed awake longer for the briefing...Agh...Parts of my back and shoulders still ache..."

"I know they do, dear...I know..." Eugeni stroked his shoulders after tightening his pauldrons. "...Even more reason to protect them...This evening you'll go to the sauna and that tension will melt away. Hm?"

"Whatever you ask of me, Lord Eugeni..." Shan Yui turned back around to look at him, as he tied his hair in a high ponytail. They stared at each other for a few moments, and the taller man pulled Eugeni into a soft hug. "You...stayed through the evening...for me...of all people...I...I am honored...You are...so bright and kind...I..." He paused for a second, pulling his thoughts together. "...I do hope...you did not see me as...less...for needing someone to remain by me for an evening..."

Eugeni embraced him in return, blushing at his quiet, shaky words. He was afraid to say something else. "...Not at all...We all have times when we need each other...You are a man...not a statue...not stone...but flesh and bones...and heart...You need company..." He squeezed his back, hiding his face in the metal pauldron for a moment. He had never been able to hold someone close like this, and he did not know when it would happen again. "...Could I share a dance with you, once the day is through?..."

"Only if I am not exhausted again...though...I would drag myself out of bed if you asked," Shan Yui answered with a chuckle. He squeezed the Ledaal noble for a moment, and then released him. "...Let us go...You need to dress yourself...and I need to meet with the cavalry..." he murmured.

Eugeni did manage to sneak out of the room, and when he reached his own, he found warmer clothes to wear. A thick kimono and a wool cloak, plenty for the chilling weather. Just the thought was enough to make him want to climb back into bed. He closed his eyes, imagining the silence of the night which had sheltered him from the harsh realities of war. Today, more heads would roll. Many would be lost in the snow. In just three days, he had come to hate snow. The icy white grave of so many young soldiers, so many handsome men with lovers and children at home. They all deserved better, but this was the wretched world in which they lived. It revolved on the axis of continual violence. He brushed out the knots in his hair and applied the slightest bit of red to his eyes. He would be a beacon his men could see from the distance. If he was truly as bright as Shan Yui said, then he would be that light for all of his men.
-Alan Jackson

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:47 am

Aerion Brightwater

Aerion was slowly pulled back into his Hall by his small group of guards and hangers-on, concerned he'd do something stupid, or well more stupid than what he'd already done. Aerion continued yelling and flailing his sword about but was successfully cowed back to bed. He took his spiced wine and scourged the girl who'd been brought up to him but had soon fallen asleep, sparing her from a potentially worse fate. He slumped into a large featherbed at the top of the Hall and dreamed of the past.

He remembered the first time he realised he was an Exalted, and the smell of his sister's flesh going up in flames. He remembered being taken to the Imperial Manse by his father now that he was officially the heir to House Brightwater. He had to walk the length of the throne room and place his sword on the floor, and swear an oath that he'd be eternally loyal to her, and only seek to serve and defend her. He remembered the size and scale of everything in the capital, how amazing it all was. He remembered the hall, all the courtiers, rich patricians, and High Lords. He could barely remember the Empress, he was too scared to look her in the eyes or really anywhere on her face so he mostly remembered her wild red hair.

After swearing the oath he was led back by his father to the back of the hall. His family were too weak to be remotely close to the Empress. He craned his neck and struggled to watch the different Lords and Ladies go before her with whatever request they wanted to make. But then the ground shifted to the wooden floors of The Bells. His legs were aching from running a marathon, the training for harsher than anything he'd experienced before. And after all that running he'd been enlisted to bring an older boy his water.

"You'll be her concubine you know?" the boy had snickered, he remembered his hooked nose and strong jaw, and his hazel eyes, marking the boy out as a Fire Exalted despite the fact he'd forgotten his name. "That's what we were built for." he puffed out his chest like it was some sort of brag "A pretty fire boy with golden hair? She'll chew you up like a fatty slice of tuna and spit you out."

Aerion had puffed up his chest too at the suggestion. The heat of the capital had made his hair frizz in the summers and it looked slightly ridiculous whenever he tried being serious or intimidating. "I'm not going to be her consort I'm going to be her husband. I'll be Emperor of The Realm." the boy's laughter still rang in his ears, high and clear and loud.

Aerion woke up with a niggling headache and began the day with egg fried rice with chunks of honeyed pork and leek. He'd usually have ale but asked for water this time to help his head. He dressed in soft orange and white silks, an ermine brooch fastening a white and black cloak to his shoulders. He played the part of the gallant young lord by visiting the temple, lighting candles to the gods, and singing hymns. Afterwards he wrote out the word "victory" in skilled caligraphy and it was hung on the temple's wall. He dressed in battle armour and rode past his mustering soldiers and into his command tent, surrounded at all times by a cluster of bodyguards.

He didn't want to admit it but fear of what would come next gnawed at his stomach as he gazed at his map and readied himself to receive word of how his brother was faring.

Antimersia
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Antimersia » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:08 am

Medi and Azrellia

Medi at his fill and made sure to thank Zara and Gregor for the hospitality, even if he did so in a rather informal manner. He and Gregor went their separate ways after that conversation. Medi reiterated that he could fight to Gregor, and that if need be he would help with the fight in the morning. All before heading back to the shelter to check on Azrellia and get some sleep. He spoke briefly to the cleric before laying down to go to bed. The man looked weak and drained. A pale sickly hue had taken over his skin in the time Medi had been off. Clearly Azrellia is draining more out of him than he has to offer. More reason for Medi to stick close to her for a while now. The cleric says that she seems to be healing though, which is of great relief to Medi. Something that helps him fall asleep in the cot beside her, mere moments after his body lays flat on it.

The rising sun

There is a weakness and achy pulsating feeling that runs through Medi's body as his eyes open for the first time on the new day. The sun peers through the windows of the shelter, illuminating it where the candles and fires did in the night. It is a struggle to get up. But he pushed himself, rolling over on the cot to face Azrellia. He can't see but she is smiling in her rest. Getting better all the time. Even if it is draining the hell out of others. Medi stands, his legs a little wobbly, and activates his senses. They aren't as fine as usual. His body feeling drained and in need of food even more so than the previous night. He walks around to find a cleric once again, checking with the healer before finding some food. With rationing in effect, Medi couldn't get much beyond a slice of bread and an even smaller bite of meat. But he happily scarfed it down the moment it was in his grasp. The breakfast wasn't much, but it certainly helped. That is when Medi noticed the sounds of war. Raucous noises were coming from the walls. The attack had begun. He walked out of the shelter, and set off to find Gregor. He wasn't at one hundred percent, but he certainly wasn't going to sit by in a shelter while the people who helped him fought for their lives.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:43 am

Woodstovia wrote:Aerion Brightwater

Aerion was slowly pulled back into his Hall by his small group of guards and hangers-on, concerned he'd do something stupid, or well more stupid than what he'd already done. Aerion continued yelling and flailing his sword about but was successfully cowed back to bed. He took his spiced wine and scourged the girl who'd been brought up to him but had soon fallen asleep, sparing her from a potentially worse fate. He slumped into a large featherbed at the top of the Hall and dreamed of the past.

He remembered the first time he realised he was an Exalted, and the smell of his sister's flesh going up in flames. He remembered being taken to the Imperial Manse by his father now that he was officially the heir to House Brightwater. He had to walk the length of the throne room and place his sword on the floor, and swear an oath that he'd be eternally loyal to her, and only seek to serve and defend her. He remembered the size and scale of everything in the capital, how amazing it all was. He remembered the hall, all the courtiers, rich patricians, and High Lords. He could barely remember the Empress, he was too scared to look her in the eyes or really anywhere on her face so he mostly remembered her wild red hair.

After swearing the oath he was led back by his father to the back of the hall. His family were too weak to be remotely close to the Empress. He craned his neck and struggled to watch the different Lords and Ladies go before her with whatever request they wanted to make. But then the ground shifted to the wooden floors of The Bells. His legs were aching from running a marathon, the training for harsher than anything he'd experienced before. And after all that running he'd been enlisted to bring an older boy his water.

"You'll be her concubine you know?" the boy had snickered, he remembered his hooked nose and strong jaw, and his hazel eyes, marking the boy out as a Fire Exalted despite the fact he'd forgotten his name. "That's what we were built for." he puffed out his chest like it was some sort of brag "A pretty fire boy with golden hair? She'll chew you up like a fatty slice of tuna and spit you out."

Aerion had puffed up his chest too at the suggestion. The heat of the capital had made his hair frizz in the summers and it looked slightly ridiculous whenever he tried being serious or intimidating. "I'm not going to be her consort I'm going to be her husband. I'll be Emperor of The Realm." the boy's laughter still rang in his ears, high and clear and loud.

Aerion woke up with a niggling headache and began the day with egg fried rice with chunks of honeyed pork and leek. He'd usually have ale but asked for water this time to help his head. He dressed in soft orange and white silks, an ermine brooch fastening a white and black cloak to his shoulders. He played the part of the gallant young lord by visiting the temple, lighting candles to the gods, and singing hymns. Afterwards he wrote out the word "victory" in skilled caligraphy and it was hung on the temple's wall. He dressed in battle armour and rode past his mustering soldiers and into his command tent, surrounded at all times by a cluster of bodyguards.

He didn't want to admit it but fear of what would come next gnawed at his stomach as he gazed at his map and readied himself to receive word of how his brother was faring.

Eugeni - A Lamb’s Eyes, A Lion’s Heart

Eugeni emerged from his room in the inn dressed like a proper lord. A turquoise kimono with a golden obi with red ribbon tie at the middle, covered by a wool cloak in deep teal. While he was not going to go to the front lines today, he needed to look special as he spoke among his guards. He was briefed by one of the captains about the plot they had received from Lady Zara. They would be charging into the heart of the Bull’s army, catching them by surprise and hopefully disrupting their plans. This shock mission would be dangerous, but it was necessary.

“I understand that you must be nervous...the casualties will be high, win or lose,” the captain whispered to Eugeni as he strolled beside him. Any military commander who looked upon the young Noble could see that worry etched itself around his sparkling eyes.

“...Yes. I will speak to our men, and then I shall make sure to check our allies to see if they have the medical supplies they need for their men...We must care for each other in these deadly times...” the Noble answered, keeping his voice as resolute as possible.

The captain nodded, though he now showed a deliberate little grin. “General Yui seems to be quite glad for your care, as far as I can tell.” When Eugeni’s head bolted up to stare at him with a meek blush, the man laughed. “Oh no, don’t worry about it! We had heard you had given him some extra care at the shelter, when he had returned from the battlefield. He looks good as new every time you’ve healed him, I have no doubt he is grateful,” he explained, patting the shy Noble’s back.

The Ledaal scion continued to blush for a few seconds, thinking about how Shan Yui had embraced him and had pleaded for him to stay. He had sounded so vulnerable, so ephemeral. “Stay,” he had whispered to a man who belonged to the air. He gave a small shiver. “Shall he be leading the cavalry?” he inquired.

“No. He shall be among the army, in case the enemy breaks through the charge. He did well stationed at the walls with his men, and he figured he might as well continue in that place. We do have Aegeus leading the cavalry today. So yes, just in case you need a moment with General Yui, he won’t be too far away.” The captain winked again, adding to the gentle Noble’s sheepishness.

Yet when he walked among his armed forces, who turned in a single wave to face him as he entered, Eugeni steeled himself in his own soft fashion. His face became firm, and his posture became straight. He clasped his shaking hands to steady himself, and his rogue-lined eyes gazed among his men. He could see Shan Yui, who stood strong and tall among the infantry. Their eyes met for a second, and their glance communicated the trust they placed in each other.

“...We come together today...closer as men than we have been in our past,” Eugeni began, looking among both the infantry and the cavalry. “It is trust that knits Ledaal and her vassals...and gives us the ability to fight. We look among each other...and we know that we will act as one. Today, we seek to pierce the enemy, and we act as one sword...and one shield. Never forget who attacks in front of you...but never forget who awaits behind you. Today, we shall make a decisive victory, together with Vai, Elledanos, Mahajan, and all of those who have given their cavalries to break through the enemy. We shall show that...evil can indeed be crushed. Because true power is in a firm foundation, and our foundation is trust. For the Imperial Realm!”

As he finished his speech and raised a fist in the air, caught in the moment, his men cheered and clapped. They were glad to see and hear their gentle Lord embracing the spirit of battle, without becoming bloodthirsty or cruel. Indeed, before they left, several men among the cavalry came and shook his hand or bowed. When Shan Yui approached, he paused as he gazed at the younger Noble. He then reached for Eugeni’s hand and kissed it. His lips were soft and almost afraid to move, and the Ledaal scion found himself blushing once again. “...Shan...”

“You look as magnificent as the ocean along the horizon...and your speech was wonderful...” he murmured, “do not doubt yourself...Your men love you dearly.”

Eugeni felt a hand tuck his hair behind his ear, and he shivered. Shan Yui had snuck his hand there without even giving a hint. His face turned beet-red, and his eyes dilated. “...Thank you...” he whispered, “...may this day be a success...for all of us.” He felt he was speaking someone else’s words, as his voice became dazed and distant. When Shan Yui nodded and slowly removed his hand, he felt as if he wanted to grab it and hold it for a few more seconds. Yet he turned and marched back to meet his army, and the Ledaal Noble stood with a longing expression.

“...Shall we check the allies to make sure they have supplies now, my Lord?”

He found his reverie interrupted by the captain standing by his side, who had a kind, understanding smile for him. “...You have...never had someone look at you with that sort of intensity, have you, my Lord?” When Eugeni did not respond, the man nodded and gave a quiet laugh. “Yes, yes, let’s not delay. I’ll get some of the men to bring medical supplies in case they are needed.”

Eugeni thus led his men to check among each of the allied armies for their need for medical supplies. He had not walked among House Brightwater in some time, but he was not afraid of an ally. He approached Aerion’s tent, and greeted him as he entered with his men. “Good morning! I come with some of my men to assess the medical supply for your cavalry. Are you running low on healing supplies for your men, and if you are, what all do you need?” he inquired.
Last edited by Luminesa on Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Alan Jackson

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:54 am

Aerion Brightwater

A small fire smouldered in the corner of Aerion's command tent, staving off the winter chill. The tent itself was almost like a small great hall with various courtiers milling about. A singer with a harp played in one corner while a cook assembled a table of finger foods. Various commanders, warriors, squires, exalted, sergeants, quartermasters, officers of every kind, scouts, and messengers buzzed around. At the centre there was a large table with a detailed map of Lethlinberg and its surrounding area, with different forces represented by wooden carvings or more simple tokens.

Lucien was leading the vanguard of Lady Vai's forces and had taken 800 cavalry out of the Brightwater's total 1,200. Aerion retained the other 400. Around 250 of that 800 was heavily armoured, the mailed fist of House Brightwater. The rest would be clad in simple leather, perhaps some steel for their helmets but nothing else. They used javelins, swords, or spears, and most were trained, those that were rich enough to afford a horse could also usually spare some coin to learn how to defend themselves. Courtnay Lightrose would carry his Prince's personal standard into battle.

She had wanted me there though, he thought. He could remember Lady Vai's words and her piercing eyes. She wanted me dead most likely, thought I'd get stepped on by a troll or something. Perhaps he should have accepted though. Leading did not necessarily mean leading. He'd probably be safe enough at the back of the charge, surrounded by his personal guard. But why risk it? Truth be told Aerion was not a bad fighter. He was strong and an exalted which was more than enough to deal with any usual serf who'd been handed a sharpened stick and told to go stab someone in that direction. But he would not risk his life so meaninglessly.

A man made his way through the throng of courtiers and up to Aerion himself. He was plain but had unusual golden eyes which made Aerion suspicious. But he began talking about medicine and Aerion's eyes began to roll.

"You should kneel!" barked Jacarys, his second in command. He flipped the map over so it could not be read. "You're talking to a Prince, the Lord of Brightwater. He doesn't trifle himself with matters of inventory, get out of this tent."

Aerion did not know what to make of the stranger. He could not think any usual medicine salesman would be so bold as to swagger into a command tent and try to speak to a Lord. Was this some sort of trick? Or was this just some idiot?

"Our stocks at present are satisfactory. House Brightwater was not particularly involved with yesterday's fighting thankfully. We suffered minimal casualties so we still have the ample stocks from home." twittered Lepidus, Aerion's quartermaster-general, trying to defuse the situation.

"Thankfully?" Aerion sneered. The tent fell silent when their Lord spoke. "I don't see why we'd be thankful about that. We could use a few dead serfs so that the other houses will know we joined them in their fight." Aerion drew his sword and raised it "Just a few corpses, and then we'll reap all the lands and plunder the Bull coughs up when I geld him!" the tent filled with enthusiastic cheers and the stomping of feet.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:22 am

Woodstovia wrote:Aerion Brightwater

A small fire smouldered in the corner of Aerion's command tent, staving off the winter chill. The tent itself was almost like a small great hall with various courtiers milling about. A singer with a harp played in one corner while a cook assembled a table of finger foods. Various commanders, warriors, squires, exalted, sergeants, quartermasters, officers of every kind, scouts, and messengers buzzed around. At the centre there was a large table with a detailed map of Lethlinberg and its surrounding area, with different forces represented by wooden carvings or more simple tokens.

Lucien was leading the vanguard of Lady Vai's forces and had taken 800 cavalry out of the Brightwater's total 1,200. Aerion retained the other 400. Around 250 of that 800 was heavily armoured, the mailed fist of House Brightwater. The rest would be clad in simple leather, perhaps some steel for their helmets but nothing else. They used javelins, swords, or spears, and most were trained, those that were rich enough to afford a horse could also usually spare some coin to learn how to defend themselves. Courtnay Lightrose would carry his Prince's personal standard into battle.

She had wanted me there though, he thought. He could remember Lady Vai's words and her piercing eyes. She wanted me dead most likely, thought I'd get stepped on by a troll or something. Perhaps he should have accepted though. Leading did not necessarily mean leading. He'd probably be safe enough at the back of the charge, surrounded by his personal guard. But why risk it? Truth be told Aerion was not a bad fighter. He was strong and an exalted which was more than enough to deal with any usual serf who'd been handed a sharpened stick and told to go stab someone in that direction. But he would not risk his life so meaninglessly.

A man made his way through the throng of courtiers and up to Aerion himself. He was plain but had unusual golden eyes which made Aerion suspicious. But he began talking about medicine and Aerion's eyes began to roll.

"You should kneel!" barked Jacarys, his second in command. He flipped the map over so it could not be read. "You're talking to a Prince, the Lord of Brightwater. He doesn't trifle himself with matters of inventory, get out of this tent."

Aerion did not know what to make of the stranger. He could not think any usual medicine salesman would be so bold as to swagger into a command tent and try to speak to a Lord. Was this some sort of trick? Or was this just some idiot?

"Our stocks at present are satisfactory. House Brightwater was not particularly involved with yesterday's fighting thankfully. We suffered minimal casualties so we still have the ample stocks from home." twittered Lepidus, Aerion's quartermaster-general, trying to defuse the situation.

"Thankfully?" Aerion sneered. The tent fell silent when their Lord spoke. "I don't see why we'd be thankful about that. We could use a few dead serfs so that the other houses will know we joined them in their fight." Aerion drew his sword and raised it "Just a few corpses, and then we'll reap all the lands and plunder the Bull coughs up when I geld him!" the tent filled with enthusiastic cheers and the stomping of feet.

Eugeni - A Quiet Storm

Eugeni had not come with a large entourage, as Brightwater was an ally-or at least a nominal one. He had figured this trip would be an easy one, and that he would then go to check other armies and head back to his camp. Yet Brightwater did not wish to make this a simple visit. Various people met the Ledaal scion with disbelieving stares and glares, and he did not receive respect as he entered the room. Not a single person bowed. He gave a small frown, though the Captain next to him was more than annoyed. The Captain took a step forward to keep Jacarys out of his ear, but Eugeni shook his head.

“My apologies. I did not properly introduce myself, though as we are allies, I assumed that we were familiar with each other. I am Eugeni Ledaal, scion of House Ledaal. I believe we are of a similar ranking?” He nodded to one of his own guards, who held the banner of Ledaal’s symbol above his head. Eugeni’s own robes also were decorated in Ledaal colors, and he showed a medal representing his family’s name.

He was thankful for Lepidus’s own statement, as he was the only person willing to answer his simple question. He gave the man a smile and a nod. “Yes, I see. That is good news. Thank you for-” Eugeni had almost finished speaking when Aerion had interrupted with his coarse statement. A few dead serfs so that the other Houses will know we have joined them.

The gentle Noble could not see any reason to wish for his own people’s deaths, just to prove himself. “...Prince Aerion, if I may...” He gave a quick bow, and kept his diplomatic smile. “...It is not wise to wish death on your own serfs. We send our men into battle hoping that they may return victorious. We are aware that we shall have casualties, but no member of one’s House is disposable in a battle such as this.”
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:30 pm

Antimersia wrote:Medi and Azrellia

Medi at his fill and made sure to thank Zara and Gregor for the hospitality, even if he did so in a rather informal manner. He and Gregor went their separate ways after that conversation. Medi reiterated that he could fight to Gregor, and that if need be he would help with the fight in the morning. All before heading back to the shelter to check on Azrellia and get some sleep. He spoke briefly to the cleric before laying down to go to bed. The man looked weak and drained. A pale sickly hue had taken over his skin in the time Medi had been off. Clearly Azrellia is draining more out of him than he has to offer. More reason for Medi to stick close to her for a while now. The cleric says that she seems to be healing though, which is of great relief to Medi. Something that helps him fall asleep in the cot beside her, mere moments after his body lays flat on it.

The rising sun

There is a weakness and achy pulsating feeling that runs through Medi's body as his eyes open for the first time on the new day. The sun peers through the windows of the shelter, illuminating it where the candles and fires did in the night. It is a struggle to get up. But he pushed himself, rolling over on the cot to face Azrellia. He can't see but she is smiling in her rest. Getting better all the time. Even if it is draining the hell out of others. Medi stands, his legs a little wobbly, and activates his senses. They aren't as fine as usual. His body feeling drained and in need of food even more so than the previous night. He walks around to find a cleric once again, checking with the healer before finding some food. With rationing in effect, Medi couldn't get much beyond a slice of bread and an even smaller bite of meat. But he happily scarfed it down the moment it was in his grasp. The breakfast wasn't much, but it certainly helped. That is when Medi noticed the sounds of war. Raucous noises were coming from the walls. The attack had begun. He walked out of the shelter, and set off to find Gregor. He wasn't at one hundred percent, but he certainly wasn't going to sit by in a shelter while the people who helped him fought for their lives.

Gregor - Morning Madness

Zara's terse response was what Gregor had expected, but at least she gave him the relevant information. He did not want to be caught outside of the loop, and he hoped that he could give this information to Ledaal, if they had not received it. He was glad to simply receive information and to leave, and he gave a slow bow before turning his heel. "...Thank you. I shall prepare my men for the upcoming battle. Good evening to you, Lady Zara." Without another word he walked out, but not before dragging Medi with him.

"Now listen here, you-"

Before Gregor could give him an earful, he heard footsteps in front of him. Medi had hurried away toward the shelter. He was heading back to go see Azrellia, and he disappeared into the night. The Mahajan Noble gave a half-groan, half-sigh of relief. At least Medi would be safe for the evening, and not caught outside in the elements. He himself started to walk back to the inn in which Mahajan was staying, only to see the debacle that Brightwater had started in the streets. Daana, Navid, and some of his soldiers were standing outside, watching Prince Aerion fall into a drunken rant about Lady Zara. He walked over nonchalantly, listening to Daana laughing as if his stomach was about to burst. "...Pardon me, men, what was this I heard about...typing someone to a bed?..."

"HAAAAAA! Oh, oh! Lord Gregor! Ah...oh wow...you missed it, this...BOY...was absolutely PLASTERED and talked about typing Lady Zara to a bed, becoming the Scarlet Emperor...come on, Navid over here is too scared to laugh, he needs to laugh! I even gave him permission!" Daana chided, slapping his lieutenant on the shoulder.

"Yes, well, we cannot control whether or not the young prince enjoys being castrated while his house is burned down. You know all the children are into strange things these days," Gregor commented, though he could not help but give the slightest smirk at his general's hysterical laughter. "...But we do need to be prepared for tomorrow. I need to talk to you about the Lady Zara and...our plans for a counter-charge against the Bull's cavalry." As soon as his men had calmed themselves, and the ruckus had shriveled into nothing but a murmur, they headed back inside the inn to talk strategy.

Liquor and cigars floated around the room as all of the Mahajan leadership discussed tomorrow's plans. Much of the talk aimed around who would lead the charge. With Faraz dead, that was one general gone. Daana had led the infantry, and given that they would need a powerful defense if the Bull's army broke the charge, he would remain on the wall to fight. Gregor decided that this time, he would stand with them. "...There's nothing wrong with creating a sea of flames, as long as it's what's necessary at the time," he explained, as he puffed his pipe. "...But then again, I've never been afraid of a little overkill, have I?" Mahajan's leaders all laughed as Gregor gave them a devilish smirk. One captain left the meeting early to inform Shan Yui, but discovered that he was asleep. He was directed to Aegeus, another General who specialized with the cavalry. Having passed this information, he returned and reported to his boss.

"Shan Yui needed that rest, I tell you what. Did you see he chopped through some three or four troll...orc...whatever things on that wall?!" Daana inquired, as he began to get drunk himself. He hiccupped, and slapped the reporting captain on the arm. "Tell me, uh, when Lord Ledaal took care of him in the tent, he gave him a real massage, didn't he?"

"Oh come on, sir, that's a little crass to be-"

"No, nooooooo! The old general is like a...a scarred ol' wolf, he needs a little tenderness, don't he? A lil...what...what..." Daana looked around the room, making wide arches with his hands as if he was giving a massage to a pretty girl. One laughed out loud while several snickered, and Gregor could only shake his head.

"That's enough of that, Daana, we know what you're implying. We don't need to know how much you enjoy...ahem...curvy women?"

"More bounce to the ounce, you know what I'm sayin'?"

Now several generals broke into laughter at Daana's teasing, and Gregor decided to have Navid escort them to their rooms to sleep. He also made sure a servant brought all of them water, both for a drink and for a bath in the morning. He groaned at the idea of what the morning would bring, but he decided that he could not do anything else, and went to bed. His night passed in silence, though he felt maybe the slightest bit of a headache when he awakened. The alcohol had not bothered him, but the mixture of heavy smells and thick smoke in such a small room had been overwhelming. He started to wash his face,before getting dressed to go get food downstairs.

Breakfast passed with a little less boisterousness, and the Mahajan general was fine with this quieter atmosphere. Soldiers were more somber with the knowledge that this charge was going to be terrifying. Navid was shaking, as he had decided to head along with the leader of the cavalry. He had to do something to show his bravery, and nothing built that character faster than getting battle experience. Many soldiers who cared about their sometimes-timid lieutenant followed, but not before Gregor pulled the lieutenant aside to talk to him. "...Do you know what you are carrying on your shoulders this morning?" he asked the younger lieutenant, who was shaking as he stared back into Gregor's stony, vermillion eyes.

"...A lot of responsibility, sir," Navid responded with a gulp, "but...I shall be certain to return...victorious. We will take the army and make a trail of their blood in the snow." He was determined to shed his fears at any cost, and his blood began to boil below his skin.

Gregor smirked. "...A young man molded after my own image. You'll make a fine husband to some nice young girl, and your children will be strong. Now...if you find the men who killed Faraz, and you know who they are?...Bring back their heads on a silver platter for me. I'll make shrunken heads out of them, and you can keep one. Now get going, do you understand?"

"SIR YES SIR!" Navid saluted his leader bravely, before marching to join the cavalry.

Their horses gathered with their soldiers mounted. Gregor began to walk out in his full armor and mink cloak, searching for Daana as the air became more electric with the sounds of an upcoming battle. Before he could find him, however, he managed to crash into someone else. Once again, Medi had found him, and was looking for something to do. "...Oh. Good morning. I hope you and your...ghost-friend slept well?...What do you need?" he inquired.
-Alan Jackson

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse