NATION

PASSWORD

Exalted: Age of Sorrows (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:06 pm

Gregor - Eyes On The Walls

Lethlinburg had quite a lot of sights, and if the war party had not been in town to prepare for a war, then perhaps Gregor would have enjoyed this trip into the city. Not that the capital was lacking in entertainment, food, or other comforts, but walking around in this strange place gave him a better idea of the city's layout for the oncoming assault. Should the Bull's army come through the gates, assuming the worst, Gregor and his army would have to know to which locations they would run to try and disrupt the battle. Such an army would have no problem rushing among the common people and either killing them or using them as shields. He had to think and act like the Bull, and he had positioned his men along the walls as he predicted such.

"...He'll try to overwhelm the walls, or focus the pressure on a particular side, in order to send his men and flood the rest of this city...That is my prediction..." he murmured to his advisors, as he took a puff of his pipe, "Either way, we'll be prepared for such a strategy...However, outmaneuvering the Bull in a pure and simple battle will not be easy. Which means we'll need to hit them before they get here...Be sure to consult with the rest of the war party and to get an idea of how long we have until the Bull's party has reached the outskirts of town. I'll make a move that will assure him he's found the wrong city to seige..."

House Mahajan's soldiers were mostly by the North Gates of the city, as Lady Zara and Gregor had commanded them. However, snipers were also positioned outside the walls as well, hidden behind trees and bushes and waiting for a sudden attack. They knew they would most likely be the first to fall, unless they were rotated out of their position, and were all but sacrifices to warn the city's inhabitants that the enemy had arrived. At least they could manage some well-played salvos before falling, if they shot first. Yet for now, all was silent in the snowy city. A couple of soldiers had hot cider, which Gregor had grabbed from town and had ordered to be given among his men.

"Whatcha think our last meal will be? Tonight?" one soldier questioned to a friend hiding in the bushes with him.

"...Probably tomorrow morning...or our lunch today..." he murmured, kneeling in the cold snow. He shivered, but at least his belly was full of warm drink. The residual heat would allow him to keep watch, at least until someone else had to take watch. He secretly hoped he would be moved, but Lord Gregor's commands were absolute. Until he changed his mind, he would be here. "...At least he made sure to feed us," he added.

Any shadow in the distance could be the Bull's army, or it could be a pack of wolves. The blistering cold and the pouring snow made such discernment difficult. Yet they had to keep watch. Maybe some Magic would warn them that the time was now, but no enemies had pulled the trigger yet, and so they waited, tense as ice sculptures waiting to crack.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:43 am

Yeiji entered the room holding a wooden box. He bowed slightly before Zara, showing his respects. "Greetings," he said with his soft, soothing voice. "I am most pleased to announce that my plan had paid off."

Yeiji handed over to Zara the letter the Bull had send to him. Once Zara took a look at it, he continued; "I've made considerable progress and he is beginning to listen to my advice but I have still not gained his full trust. That's why I came to you. I need you to provide me with a list of targets that I can give to the Bull. The targets mustn't be so important that they would harm our war effort but must be significant enough to earn the Bull's trust. If we are going to win this war with the fewest of casualties and burden for the common folk, we must sacrifice some of our troops: doing so would earn us the Bull's trust and allow us to lead him to a battlefield of our choosing, where we can set in motion a deathly trap that will annhilate his army. It is far better, if I may say so, than blindly charging forward. Deception and strategy win wars, not brute force, but I am quite sure that you know that already."

Yeiji flashed a charming smile on his face. He had practiced countless of times the words and the bodily language he would use in this meeting. "If you will excuse my intrusiveness, I do wonder how have you been doing. Directing a military campaign on such a scale must take a toll on you. I want you to know that if you need someone to talk to, I am always willing to be here." He paused for a brief moment. "If you will also excuse my boldness, I've brought a gift with me." Yeiji opened his wooden box and grabbed a three poems written on some of the finest-quality paper in the realm. "I don't know if you enjoy poetry, but I thought you would enjoy reading those poems. They are my works actually. The first is about the beauty of a frozen lake, the second about peach blossom trees and the third is an hymn to the beauty and virtues of a woman who I've come to deeply admire." While Yeiji did not outright say so, his voice and his bodily language indicated that he was referring to Zara. "It is my sincerest hope that those poems will allow you to escape, if even for a few seconds, the horrors of war."

Yeiji bowed once more. "That is all. I hope that my visit has not been a waste of your time."
Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:37 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:Yeiji entered the room holding a wooden box. He bowed slightly before Zara, showing his respects. "Greetings," he said with his soft, soothing voice. "I am most pleased to announce that my plan had paid off."

Yeiji handed over to Zara the letter the Bull had send to him. Once Zara took a look at it, he continued; "I've made considerable progress and he is beginning to listen to my advice but I have still not gained his full trust. That's why I came to you. I need you to provide me with a list of targets that I can give to the Bull. The targets mustn't be so important that they would harm our war effort but must be significant enough to earn the Bull's trust. If we are going to win this war with the fewest of casualties and burden for the common folk, we must sacrifice some of our troops: doing so would earn us the Bull's trust and allow us to lead him to a battlefield of our choosing, where we can set in motion a deathly trap that will annhilate his army. It is far better, if I may say so, than blindly charging forward. Deception and strategy win wars, not brute force, but I am quite sure that you know that already."

Yeiji flashed a charming smile on his face. He had practiced countless of times the words and the bodily language he would use in this meeting. "If you will excuse my intrusiveness, I do wonder how have you been doing. Directing a military campaign on such a scale must take a toll on you. I want you to know that if you need someone to talk to, I am always willing to be here." He paused for a brief moment. "If you will also excuse my boldness, I've brought a gift with me." Yeiji opened his wooden box and grabbed a three poems written on some of the finest-quality paper in the realm. "I don't know if you enjoy poetry, but I thought you would enjoy reading those poems. They are my works actually. The first is about the beauty of a frozen lake, the second about peach blossom trees and the third is an hymn to the beauty and virtues of a woman who I've come to deeply admire." While Yeiji did not outright say so, his voice and his bodily language indicated that he was referring to Zara. "It is my sincerest hope that those poems will allow you to escape, if even for a few seconds, the horrors of war."

Yeiji bowed once more. "That is all. I hope that my visit has not been a waste of your time."

Eugeni - Dead on Arrival

Eugeni had walked into the room at the same time as Yeiji. The conference room was much warmer than the snowy outdoors, a bit of a relief for both men. Yet no easy breathing would happen in this room. Being in the same room as an ally who wished to undermine him was an awkward situation Eugeni had not wanted, but one that he hoped would prove to be fruitful regardless. With both of them in the room, now the Ledaal scion could hear what he might have said behind his back. Or maybe the bureaucrat saw no reason to lie, if he was arrogant enough. He knew now that the latter was the case, and so he paid attention as the other man spoke first.

With eyes that widened just slightly, Eugeni watched as Yeiji handed Zara the letter he had received. His throat tightened just a little. They...answered?!...Oh no...This is... He looked to the both of them as Yeiji asked for a list of targets. He was right in that battles were won by strategy, but the Bull would not hesitate to use brute force if he could. Yet the idea of asking Lady Zara for targets was a frightening one. Once that decision was in her hands, she could order anyone to die. Perhaps as one of the members of a higher-ranked House, he could argue for the lives of his own soldiers, but he feared that she would not pick just any soldier. ...She could pick anyone...especially...anyone with whom she holds a grudge... He gulped. He was sure that Lady Zara had many enemies, his own teacher one of them. He could not tell if she would be above such hits on her own allies, if she could do so without being caught.

Then came Yeiji's flattery. His words were a sticky toffee pudding laced with cyanide, delectable to the ear and sweet to taste, but with a scent of something being quite wrong. Of course, most experienced politicians were good at using honeyed words to earn someone's ear, and he had also brought a gift to persuade her. Eugeni himself liked poetry, ironically enough, but he was not certain about Zara. Perhaps she did like being able to relax like any other person, but she had clear lines of worry on her face. Something urgent had happened, and she wanted to get it off her chest. Unfortunately, Eugeni himself did not bring good news, and he had not brought any sort of gifts to assuage Lady Zara's mood. Yet he had something that Yeiji did not have, something he could summon from the bottom of his heart: courage.

"...Sir Yeiji, with all due respect...I am sure your gift is quite lovely for Lady Zara, and I have no doubt you put plenty of thought into your work," he began, giving a firm bow in his direction to show his respect. He then turned to Lady Zara. "However, while I am sure that Lady Zara, like many of us, fears the tolls of what shall come in the next days as this war begins, I hope you do not find me rude in saying that Lady Zara is strong enough to carry herself and this campaign. I have attended schooling and training with her for many years. She has far more steel in her bones, and more iron in her blood, than either of us." He hoped he did not sound as if he was also trying to flatter her. His tone was sincere and quiet, as he understood the tone of the room. Their situation was dire, and action had to happen now. "...It is also with this caveat that I must say, Sir Yeiji...your plan, while it seems to have had a strong start...shall not come to fruition."

With his eyes directed toward Lady Zara, he continued, "The Bull's troops have been moving quickly to Lethlinburg. I am sure that you have already figured this, but with the speed at which they are moving, they shall arrive to siege this city within the next forty-eight hours. We have very little time to prepare for what comes now, and that includes defending ourselves. I believe that our only resource now is to strike at them before they strike at us. They seem to be heading toward the East Gate, but they may splinter into smaller groups to attack all sides. I do not know which strategy they shall take, but I believe we must fortify our defenses and launch our preemptive strike in the next twelve hours. Otherwise we shall suffer great casualties." Pausing to give the others in the room time to process all he had said, he took a breath himself. He was shaking under his robes, but he hid his fear as best as he could. He wished his own words were not true, but he could see the intensity glowing back at him from Lady Zara's eyes. The reality was glaring in front of him, in front of all of them.

"...Now is a time for all of us to steel ourselves, to be prepared for death and survival. I have made sure my men are prepared, and I myself shall be among them. If you shall choose me as a target, Lady Zara, then...I am ready. The highest compliment I can give you is my own survival, because that survival means you have given me a direct task, and I have completed it for your honor's sake, and for the sake of the Imperial Realm. Thank you." He gave her a much deeper bow than he gave Yeiji, showing his willingness to fight his own inner terror to save his kingdom. Maybe he was not the leader, but he understood that a title was not what made a leader. His choices would define him and tell his tale, and now he had to make the choices that few others would be willing to make.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:17 pm

Yeiji wasn't particularly pleased with Eugeni's speech. As a competent politician, he could mask well the anger he felt though and could flash a sweet smile. "I believe I have been misinterpreted. I never doubted the resolve of Lady Zara nor have I insinuated she fears. I do realize however that being in command of such an operation, one that requires decisions to be made on life and death, does take toll on even the bravest and hardest warriors. I do not think one is a coward if they feel that toll. If I am allowed to confess, I do have sometimes trouble sleeping at nights because I worry if I made the right decision. I worry if my actions may have been adversarial and put the Realm at danger and burdened the people. I shake it off, of course, because it is my duty to make hard choices and I have to move on, but it is nice to sometimes have people willing to support me and talk with me when that happens. I am not saying that Lady Zara experiences any of this, I wouldn't know, but I do understand the burden that comes with leadership. And I wish to be there for Lady Zara, even if that gets me accused of being offensive towards her."

Yeiji paused for a brief moment, contemplating quickly his reply. "And, with all due respect, my interest in her wellbeing is sincere. It is not a ploy to gain her political backing." That was a half-true statement. Yeiji had approached Zara mainly to improve his standing. She could make a useful political and military ally. Yet, he did found himself sincerely admiring her. "As for the plan, going head on into battle is exactly what will cause us to lose countless of men. We do not need to just win; we also need to win with the fewest possible casualties. Regardless of what some generals may think, soldiers do not appear from thin air nor does the Realm and the Houses have endless supplies of wealth to replenish large-scale losses. Not to say that replacing experienced men with new recruits isn't usually the best thing to do. Using deception, we can lure the Bull into a battlefield of our choosing and to exterminate his army with the fewest losses. What you are proposing, with all due respect, is to allow the Bull to decide where and when we will be fighting. That is, again with all due respect, wrong."
Signature:

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:30 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:Yeiji wasn't particularly pleased with Eugeni's speech. As a competent politician, he could mask well the anger he felt though and could flash a sweet smile. "I believe I have been misinterpreted. I never doubted the resolve of Lady Zara nor have I insinuated she fears. I do realize however that being in command of such an operation, one that requires decisions to be made on life and death, does take toll on even the bravest and hardest warriors. I do not think one is a coward if they feel that toll. If I am allowed to confess, I do have sometimes trouble sleeping at nights because I worry if I made the right decision. I worry if my actions may have been adversarial and put the Realm at danger and burdened the people. I shake it off, of course, because it is my duty to make hard choices and I have to move on, but it is nice to sometimes have people willing to support me and talk with me when that happens. I am not saying that Lady Zara experiences any of this, I wouldn't know, but I do understand the burden that comes with leadership. And I wish to be there for Lady Zara, even if that gets me accused of being offensive towards her."

Yeiji paused for a brief moment, contemplating quickly his reply. "And, with all due respect, my interest in her wellbeing is sincere. It is not a ploy to gain her political backing." That was a half-true statement. Yeiji had approached Zara mainly to improve his standing. She could make a useful political and military ally. Yet, he did found himself sincerely admiring her. "As for the plan, going head on into battle is exactly what will cause us to lose countless of men. We do not need to just win; we also need to win with the fewest possible casualties. Regardless of what some generals may think, soldiers do not appear from thin air nor does the Realm and the Houses have endless supplies of wealth to replenish large-scale losses. Not to say that replacing experienced men with new recruits isn't usually the best thing to do. Using deception, we can lure the Bull into a battlefield of our choosing and to exterminate his army with the fewest losses. What you are proposing, with all due respect, is to allow the Bull to decide where and when we will be fighting. That is, again with all due respect, wrong."

Eugeni - Take Out the Gunman

Talking about having trouble sleeping at night was a vulnerable position to put oneself in around Lady Zara. Eugeni himself had felt far more than a little trouble, and the woman standing before him had seen the fear in his eyes as he had organs explode on his face and clothing in battle. He did not have to prove the terror he had suffered in battle, and how the very thought of the battle to come made his hands shake. Yet that battle had been a necessary experience, both for him and for Zara. As for wondering whether or not Yeiji's decisions were adversarial, the Ledaal heir could already feel that this man had no guilt, if he could lie directly to his face. ...You have no softness in your eyes, or sweat in your sleeves...You do not dream of the bodies, of the eyes of innocent young men who have died at your hands...You sit behind a desk and hope that the world shall fall into your lap... That beautiful pair of blue eyes that had rolled in front of him in combat still haunted Eugeni, and he could see them even now. They had belonged to a beautiful face, one of a soldier from the wrong side. He gulped down the pain he did not wish to show, and he gazed at Yeiji.

The bureaucrat's talk of not wanting Zara's approval was also a transparent lie, and even someone as naive as Eugeni could understand that he was hoping to fool Lady Zara. "...That is nonsense. Most people in this realm require their leader's consent in order to make decisions. She is the head of our army, and one of the strongest Exalted in the Realm. If you are saying you do not wish to have her back your decisions, then you are a liar, sir. Even I must receive her approval for movements I wish to make among the armed forces. That is humility, and it is obedience. And until you have faced battle yourself, you will not know the suffering that she and I have felt. But she has pushed past it because she has fought many times. One day, you shall have to face that hurdle yourself," he warned, his voice soft but earnest.

Admittedly, Eugeni agreed that facing the Bull head-on was not an ideal situation. In that aspect, neither he nor Yeiji were strong at hand-to-hand combat, though Eugeni had managed several kills with just his steel hand-fan. "...If Lady Zara picks targets which are important enough to draw the Bull's attention, then he will attack them and there will be many casualties. If that is what you wish, then the Bull's army must be splintered into pieces. A counter-plan is what I am offering, if you truly wish to taste the suffering of battle yourself." His eyes looked the magistrate over, as if to test him for his own resolve. "...If Lady Zara believes it is possible or feasible, we will position our troops along various points on the path to Lethlinberg. Pockets of troops will take pockets of the Bull's army, and pull them apart from each other. By the time they reach Lethlinberg, if they reach the city, they will be occupied on multiple fronts. And if they do not reach the city, we can launch against them head-on and crush them. You will be able to preserve your life from the shadows, and we will be able to divide-and-conquer the armed forces. Then the Bull shall be vulnerable. The weather is to our advantage, as visibility will be limited for incoming armies. What say you?" he inquired.
-Alan Jackson

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:51 pm

Yeiji had an advantage in arguments: being able to maintain his cool despite whatever personal feelings he may have had. So was he now calm. He spoke with the most soothing voice he could muster to make this exact point.

"With all due respect, sir, I don't see how losing your temper is helpful. We are allies and servants of the Realm, yet you seem more willing to attack me than to provide a unified front. On the other hand, despite disagreements, I've never disparaged you dear sir. As for Lady Zara, the meaning of my words is clear. While some people may indeed be complimenting her because they hope to gain her political backing, I am sincerely interested in her well being because I admire her deeply. It might be difficult for you, sir, to accept that I do have feelings and don't place politics ahead of everything, but it is true."

Yeiji turned to Zara and bowed deeply. "My Lady, I am deeply sorry if my words have offended you or put you in an awkward position. Yet I had to confess my feelings and offer my aid, otherwise I could not live with myself. If you feel offended, as the dear sir suggests, I am willing to accept whatever punishment you merit, however harsh it may be. I do not regret my words though."

Yeiji made certain that his last words were full of emotion and looked Zara in the eyes. Now it was Eugeni who would be in a difficult position: Yeiji would be the polite, mature person with true feelings for Zara despite the consequences and Eugeni would be the impatient, jealous and short-tempered one. The stage was set. 'This kid really thinks he can outdo in words a bureaucrat who has had to talk with hundreds of people each year', he thought.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:37 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:Yeiji had an advantage in arguments: being able to maintain his cool despite whatever personal feelings he may have had. So was he now calm. He spoke with the most soothing voice he could muster to make this exact point.

"With all due respect, sir, I don't see how losing your temper is helpful. We are allies and servants of the Realm, yet you seem more willing to attack me than to provide a unified front. On the other hand, despite disagreements, I've never disparaged you dear sir. As for Lady Zara, the meaning of my words is clear. While some people may indeed be complimenting her because they hope to gain her political backing, I am sincerely interested in her well being because I admire her deeply. It might be difficult for you, sir, to accept that I do have feelings and don't place politics ahead of everything, but it is true."

Yeiji turned to Zara and bowed deeply. "My Lady, I am deeply sorry if my words have offended you or put you in an awkward position. Yet I had to confess my feelings and offer my aid, otherwise I could not live with myself. If you feel offended, as the dear sir suggests, I am willing to accept whatever punishment you merit, however harsh it may be. I do not regret my words though."

Yeiji made certain that his last words were full of emotion and looked Zara in the eyes. Now it was Eugeni who would be in a difficult position: Yeiji would be the polite, mature person with true feelings for Zara despite the consequences and Eugeni would be the impatient, jealous and short-tempered one. The stage was set. 'This kid really thinks he can outdo in words a bureaucrat who has had to talk with hundreds of people each year', he thought.

Eugeni - Silk In Steel

Of course Yeiji would use Eugeni's age and lack of political experience against him. If it had worked once, it might work again, he had figured. Yet Eugeni had stayed completely calm, and had never raised his voice. All he could do was raise a brow at the man, as he tried to turn the tables against him. He shook his head, and sighed. If I had wanted to lose my temper, he would have gone out the window by now...But that would be a horrible thing to do. Sir Gregor would laugh, I'm sure, he lamented, as he took a look back at Lady Zara. This man had turned the tables rather quickly, but Eugeni was learning the game. Now Yeiji was asking for some sort of punishment, which surprised the younger man. Even more surprising was that he believed he could fool a woman like Zara into thinking he did not want something from her.

"...I have not lost my temper. I have stated what I understand," he continued calmly, "and I understand that most politicians, yourself included, wish to have the backing of their general. I have never spoken about anything other than unity up until now, and that is only to suggest a strategy for attacking the Bull's army in a way that will, as you suggested, cause the least casualties. I'm afraid to tell you, however, that if you wish to send another letter to the Bull, you will not have the time." He took out his fan to fan his own face, with his expression as calm and cool as the snow outdoors.

"We must act here and now, united as one force against the Bull, and that is why we are here. I have offered you a plan which will involve both of our forces, and I have advocated on-behalf of those who have suffered greatly, such as Lord Breton, as he has provided us with vital information. I shall not speak for what Lady Zara feels, but I believe that you are greatly underestimating her emotional capacities and her strength due to the fact that she is a woman much younger than you. That cannot be a detriment to our work. If you feel so strongly for her, then you will do what is best for both her and for the Realm, and that is to work together with those of us who have now seen combat. While I have only seen one major battle, I am learning, and I shall not let fear inhibit me from what is to come."

His eyes turned to Lady Zara, trusting that she understood what her armed forces needed to do. He gave a quiet smile, a little proud of himself for coming so far. Even if he had not won the battle with Yeiji just yet, he hoped to win the war. "That is why I bring this suggestion to Lady Zara, and I wish to hear what she has to say. If she does not agree, then I shall follow as she commands for the good of the kingdom. Stand with your head tall, Lord Magistrate, or else you shall not see the arrows when they fly toward you."
-Alan Jackson

Parcia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 11, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Parcia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:15 pm

House Breton

The order came down from Lady Zara and company as they were storing their campaign and trail gear. An officer from House Vai's forces approached them and Lord Yang and his mercenaries. "Orders from lady Vai. Lord Breton and his men are to march eastward and ascertain the status of the ducal forces sent to Redenburg, the hired forces of Lord Zao-long will scout ahead and ascertain the status of the eastern road leading to Pforz and to act as, should the situation require it, light mounted support for Lord Breton's house forces."

Then he left, simple as that. Arthur and Yang spent a good deal of time sorting out the details. Yang and his 50 mounted men would ride along the tree line, just out of sight of the Eastern road, until reaching Pforz. Arthur would take his 500 men and march along a little known back path, essentially a hunting trail, deeper in to the forest and make for Reddenburg. Once Yang had reconed the road and reported back, his riders would make for Arthur's planed position.

With that, the 50 riders rode off, clad in fur cloaks and carrying long spears. They were not true lances, rather 3-4 meter long wooden shaft spears, but more so then worthy to be used on horseback. They rode off in to the hazy day as the forces of House Breton would disappear in to the forest.

Arthur would rally the men in to a column 5 men wide and march out on to the eastern road. They would be marching nearly eleven and a half miles, and would require a stop and temporary camp. Luckily, Arthur had hunted these lands before, and knew of a small clearing that held a hunter's lodge roughly two thirds of the way in. They would camp there for the night, distribute cold rations, then make for the planed destination in the pre-dawn hours of the morning.

It would be the first time since the exodus of Chateau Le Breton that his sister would be gone with out him. Lady Vai had held to her word, and promised to find her a suitor to further the Bretoni line. He rode atop his horse for the first time since then, still leading his men.

They marched off in to the misty day, ready to face what was to come.
Last edited by Parcia on Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
So apparently Cobalt has named me a Cyber terrorist, I honestly don't know to be Honored or offended.
Right leaning Centrist from Florida No I am not The Floridaman...hes my uncle. Other then that dont @ me about politics, im leaving that
hell hole behind until I leave Uni.
I reserve all rights to my posts, OCs, and contributions to any threads I post on.
I'm a Pagan too, figure that shit out!
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media ... e_Lock.gif storage
Hooyah Navy.

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Zara Azairya Vai

Zara paced in a slow half circle around the map table. Seeming to let the two subordinates have their verbal sparring match. A duking out of lances rendered in the verbatim; if one wanted a more poetic rendition. Of course, she wasn't really ignoring or even letting this occur lightly. This was a moment of weighing her subordinates against the other. Seeing who put forth the best argumentation and for her to observe their mettle. Eugeni was indeed inexperienced to the realities of warfare and intrigue. But he also had admirable loyalty and apparent commitment to the Imperial cause. Yeiji of course was loyal to the Realm in the capacity for its mechanisms to advance himself. His flattery and pleasantries even if sincere, which she doubted that they were beyond the carnal desire, was merely his way of attempting to win an emphatic response. But of course the admission of feelings, even if surface layered, was exploitable.

"Both, compelling arguments," mused Zara as a lull in their argument appeared to descend in the chamber. Zara maneuvered her way to take the gift proffered by Yeiji and gave him a warm smile. "A man of words is always a welcome form of artisan." Zara picked up the first poem with her armored hand and gently opened it with nimbleness fitting someone used to the wearing of gauntlets.

"House Ledaal will sortie as if to rescue any fleeing Ducal forces from Pforz. This will however be a protracted rearguard to feign desperation. The Bull will have his targets. But now is not the time and even he will be aware of such easy targets eventually being indicative of a ploy...," Zara scanned along the lines of elegant script, Yeiji did have a way with words it seemed, and took measured steps to stand before Eugeni, "...Patience is a virtue. You are to give all indication of desperate relief before withdrawing back to Lethlinburg. We will be ready to sortie in force should you be assailed heavily. The Bull's commanders are not morons, they will not risk being caught in a field battle before the walls of Lethlinburg. They will invest this city for a siege. They have too, in order to decisively conquer the Duchy and have a clear route to the Sea."

Zara turned slightly to Yeiji, "You will however remain present. Your logistical skills may prove useful. But you will write to the Deliberative of the situation and appraise them."

Turning away abruptly Zara held up an armoured digit to tell them to wait. Maneuvering to the map table she took a small leaf of parchment and wrote in her own flowing, practiced, elegant, scripture. Taking up the wax seal of her house she quickly folded the parchment into a letter shape and sealed it with hot wax. Pressing the stamp down she peeled it away to show the sigil of the winged serpent of House Vai. Maneuvering to Eugeni she handed him the dispatch. "For Lord Gregor's eyes only. Now, is there anything either of you would wish to say before you're dismissed?"

The contents of the dispatch were orders. Gregor was sally forth with fast moving, mounted, troops and shadow Eugeni's sortie. Until the Bull's forces had been encountered and at which point Gregor's force would break off to wage a protracted guerrilla war as Gregor saw fit. In a way Zara was giving him what he may have wanted, freedom to operate on his own, but also setting a finite strategic goal in that this was to pick off detachments of the Bull's incoming forces. As it would be unlikely the entirety of the Bull's multitudes of hordes would be single mindedly advancing on Lethlinburg. No, scouts and detachments, raiders and reavers, would wreak bloody havoc all throughout the Duchy.
Resident Fox lover
If you don't hear from me for a while...I'm inna woods.
NS' Unofficial Adult Actress.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:08 pm

Imperialisium wrote:Zara Azairya Vai

Zara paced in a slow half circle around the map table. Seeming to let the two subordinates have their verbal sparring match. A duking out of lances rendered in the verbatim; if one wanted a more poetic rendition. Of course, she wasn't really ignoring or even letting this occur lightly. This was a moment of weighing her subordinates against the other. Seeing who put forth the best argumentation and for her to observe their mettle. Eugeni was indeed inexperienced to the realities of warfare and intrigue. But he also had admirable loyalty and apparent commitment to the Imperial cause. Yeiji of course was loyal to the Realm in the capacity for its mechanisms to advance himself. His flattery and pleasantries even if sincere, which she doubted that they were beyond the carnal desire, was merely his way of attempting to win an emphatic response. But of course the admission of feelings, even if surface layered, was exploitable.

"Both, compelling arguments," mused Zara as a lull in their argument appeared to descend in the chamber. Zara maneuvered her way to take the gift proffered by Yeiji and gave him a warm smile. "A man of words is always a welcome form of artisan." Zara picked up the first poem with her armored hand and gently opened it with nimbleness fitting someone used to the wearing of gauntlets.

"House Ledaal will sortie as if to rescue any fleeing Ducal forces from Pforz. This will however be a protracted rearguard to feign desperation. The Bull will have his targets. But now is not the time and even he will be aware of such easy targets eventually being indicative of a ploy...," Zara scanned along the lines of elegant script, Yeiji did have a way with words it seemed, and took measured steps to stand before Eugeni, "...Patience is a virtue. You are to give all indication of desperate relief before withdrawing back to Lethlinburg. We will be ready to sortie in force should you be assailed heavily. The Bull's commanders are not morons, they will not risk being caught in a field battle before the walls of Lethlinburg. They will invest this city for a siege. They have too, in order to decisively conquer the Duchy and have a clear route to the Sea."

Zara turned slightly to Yeiji, "You will however remain present. Your logistical skills may prove useful. But you will write to the Deliberative of the situation and appraise them."

Turning away abruptly Zara held up an armoured digit to tell them to wait. Maneuvering to the map table she took a small leaf of parchment and wrote in her own flowing, practiced, elegant, scripture. Taking up the wax seal of her house she quickly folded the parchment into a letter shape and sealed it with hot wax. Pressing the stamp down she peeled it away to show the sigil of the winged serpent of House Vai. Maneuvering to Eugeni she handed him the dispatch. "For Lord Gregor's eyes only. Now, is there anything either of you would wish to say before you're dismissed?"

The contents of the dispatch were orders. Gregor was sally forth with fast moving, mounted, troops and shadow Eugeni's sortie. Until the Bull's forces had been encountered and at which point Gregor's force would break off to wage a protracted guerrilla war as Gregor saw fit. In a way Zara was giving him what he may have wanted, freedom to operate on his own, but also setting a finite strategic goal in that this was to pick off detachments of the Bull's incoming forces. As it would be unlikely the entirety of the Bull's multitudes of hordes would be single mindedly advancing on Lethlinburg. No, scouts and detachments, raiders and reavers, would wreak bloody havoc all throughout the Duchy.

Eugeni - The Den of Shadows

The tension in the room could be cut with a knife, or in a more fitting manner, Zara's sword. Yet Zara's swords were hidden, as were Eugeni's iron fans, and the hostility between Yeiji and Eugeni was just bubbling to the surface. Even those bubbles of resentment, however, were visible to their general's astute eyes, and she stepped forward after a silent moment of evaluating their arguments. Her steps were slow and deliberate, breaking into the rhythm that the Ledaal scion and the Magistrate had set.

She approached Yeiji first, and thanked him for his poetry. Eugeni looked over at her as she smiled and thanked him, giving him a pleasant smile as she spoke to him. The young Noble could never tell when she was feeling genuine kindness toward someone, though he was surprised to see her give such a nice smile. If she did reciprocate his feelings, he and many other people would be in trouble. Yet at the same time, if she did not, he could not tell how Yeiji would react. When two people wearing masks fall in love...what happens when they take off those masks?...I would be afraid of such a result... At least now he knew that Zara could be won with poems. Perhaps King Alex would appreciate this knowledge...I shall pass it onto him.

He came out of his thoughts when Zara stood before him and spoke his house's name. He had gotten what he desired, as dreadful as his wish was. He would be a target, heading into Pforz to save the Ducal forces. He would lure the Bull's forces in his direction in order to trick them. That particular bit of acting would fall upon his shoulders. Once he had succeeded, he was to head back to the relative safety of Lethlinburg, with the Bull being forced to fight on the temporary home-field of the Imperial Realm. He agreed with this plan, and gave a slow nod. It came with its risks, his own life being one of them, but everyone's life was at some risk or another. He watched her as she walked to her desk and wrote on a piece of paper, put the paper into a sealed envelope, and then placed it in his hands. A message for Gregor, and for Gregor alone.

With Zara's statements finished, the two men were asked to give any final words before they departed. Eugeni swallowed for a second, digesting his fear as he knew what lie ahead for him. Yeiji would be in the comfort of his office, while Eugeni would be riding into the snowy fields. Pforz was even further north, and he would require extra warmth. His men would also require such supplies. He was fortunate enough to have them, but the idea of moving so far away made him nervous. He was glad that he understood medicine. "...I thank you for this order, Lady Zara," he answered, shaking the rust from his throat, "I understand what has been asked of me. I will do my best, and I will bring honor to the Imperial Realm. I hope that...Once I have completed my task, we shall be able to meet again, victorious."

He walked toward her and kissed her hand. His mother would have been proud, but the gentle Ledaal scholar could feel the venom underneath the cold iron. He did not know what plans she might be hiding, or how Yeiji would retaliate once he left this room. However, his own feelings were genuine, and he displayed them without fear. "Shi will send his spies to keep track of the Bull's progress, should any of his men escape and move toward Lethlinberg. I do not wish to bring him with me into battle. If the worst happens and I am not immediately available, then he shall be needed here in order to answer any orders given to House Ledaal." He knew that Shi would be upset about not going into battle with him, but he knew that two powerful Exalted of the same family being in the same place was a dangerous proposition. Shi will not bear my burden. He has born enough...

Eugeni and Gregor - Sealed In Blood

Riding his horse to the building in which Gregor and his reserved troops were currently quartered, Eugeni unmounted his horse and walked into the warmth of the inn. Several dozen eyes gave him a stare, as he arrived dressed both in his armor and in a heavy, fur-trimmed coat. He had a calm, knowing look on his face, as his appearance sucked the air and the heat out of the room. "...Excuse me, gentlemen...I do not wish to intrude on your dining. I come to find Lord Gregor? I was told by some of his troops that he was here for a few moments?"

"I have not yet left." Gregor rose from the bar, parting the stunned crowd as he moved toward Eugeni. Seeing the gravity in his expression, he eyed him and then the letter he pulled out of his pocket. "...What is this?...A message from Lady Zara?..." When the younger Noble gave a nod, he turned and looked down at it. When he read it, he grabbed Eugeni by the scruff of his neck and dragged him to a room upstairs. Locking the door behind them, he whirled around and stared at Eugeni. "She put you in the position as bait?"

"...Yes. I asked to be put in that position." The Ledaal Noble spoke with a dispassionate, firm tone, though internally the sight of Gregor hissing at him with horror made his blood cold.

"The general of a Major House acting as bait?! And you asked for this?! Eugeni! Do you realize that if you-" He was interrupted once again by the younger general's solemn nod. A gulp of silence, and Gregor looked as if he was about to throw the wine glass in his hand across the room. He deflated just a little with a sigh, and glared at him. "...I cannot tell whether or not you are brave...or utterly reckless. I wished for you to grow to be brave, not a madman rushing headlong into a potential death."

"Is that not what you are doing as well?" Eugeni inquired.

Gregor grit his teeth. "You are misunderstanding me. You are a powerful scion, and you were in a room with that scoundrel telling you that you are to be a potential sacrificial lamb?!"

Eugeni nodded, once again. "...I will do my best to minimize the damage. If this plan works, and you do your part, then we will be able to lure the Bull into a disadvantageous position. I am sure you will accomplish your end. I fear, however, for Sir Yeiji's retaliation. He probably will not be pleased that Lady Zara has fulfilled my request rather than his own. He also shall not be happy for other reasons, which I have instigated..." He trailed-off and then sighed. "...I...insulted him for acting condescending to Lady Zara."

Another silent moment passed, and the Mahajan noble laughed. He then broke into a louder laugh, and took a swig of what was in his wine glass. "...Ahhh, a snake acting as though he cares for a viper, when they would tear each other to pieces with their fangs if they could. How funny...Yes, I'm sure he did not enjoy that, but you are the man of higher rank, Eugeni. Remember that. He should know his place," he assured him. Seeing that the younger Noble was still uncertain, he pat his shoulder. "...We need to prepare. I hope you have had a meal. If not, go eat, and prepare the troops. We will leave as soon as possible. After all, the Bull could be at the gates tomorrow. We might as well strike, and kill the rabid animal before it bites."

"...If we can cut down the Bull's army in this way...our chances of victory will increase..." Eugeni murmured.

Gregor nodded. "Perhaps. Ahhh...that little bit about the foolish politician trying to woo a girl like Zara brightened me right up. Thank you for that. Beside, at the very least...once we are in front of the Bull, I'll have quite the fun tearing him to pieces, or at least his men." He took the hand that was on the younger Noble's shoulder and pat his cheek. "...Much merriment shall be had after this battle. And we shall have it together."

Giving a little bit of a blush, Eugeni smiled and nodded. "...We...we will. I shall see you then..." With this sending, he turned and walked back downstairs, into the cold. He wished to stay in the comfort of the warm inn with a trusted friend for a longer period of time, but soon their bond would be tested by the swords, spears, and Magic of the enemy. He mounted his horse once again, and headed for the Ledaal encampment. Every hoof, every clop of snow, spelled the beginning of combat, and the end of the waiting.
-Alan Jackson

Parcia
Powerbroker

Democratic Socialists

Postby Parcia » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:15 pm

Arthur's March

They made good time, with rough but well sewn boots and practiced experience allowing them to make good time, nearly 6 miles until they reached the old Hunter's cabin Arthur had recalled from his youth.

It wasn't nearly large enough to fit any amount of his men, and so they went about setting camp around the seemingly deserted cabin, felling a few trees to form rudimentary sectioned of entrenched spikes and a few small earthen ramparts using gathered piles of materials from around the area. They wouldn't hold against a substantial attach of any kind, but they'd ward off wild life with a few torches and posted guards.

They did this quickly, the more experiences officers and men leading the less trained men and women in building this make shift camp. Once they had some semblance of security, they broke out the sleeping tents, bags, and a few small fires for warmth before handing out cold rations and a booze ration for good measure. They would hardly detectable from the road, let alone from the near by cities, and so they did take the time to grow a bit merry and warm.

As the sun fully set, Arthur retired to his cabin and ate similar cold rations, choosing to stay in his armor as many of his men did, they simply being warmer then changing in to regular cloathing.
So apparently Cobalt has named me a Cyber terrorist, I honestly don't know to be Honored or offended.
Right leaning Centrist from Florida No I am not The Floridaman...hes my uncle. Other then that dont @ me about politics, im leaving that
I reserve all rights to my posts, OCs, and contributions to any threads I post on.
Hooyah Navy.

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:08 pm

Arthur's March
Sounds in the Night

Lord Breton's men had made good progress and their camp made without hassle. But Winter in the North was a treacherous and danger riddled environment. The Northmen huddled by their fires and gird in their furs. The darkness was all encompassing, alleviated by nothing but the risen moon, punctuated by a patchwork of stars. The visuals hardly matched the sounds. Thrice in the distance the sound of hooves. Twice the skittering chitin in the night. The calls of Owls and barks of Wolves else where in the forest. Needless to say the sentries would report all manner of strange sights as dense fog bellowed in at night from the North-East. Wreathing the grand valley in which the Duchy of Lethlinheim sat in a smothering blanket.

The first time the hooves sounded gave the impression of frantic galloping to their East and then ranging South. But nothing decisive could be gleaned by the men who awoke nor the sentries. Just the occasional murmur of horsemen far afield under the boughs heading South. The second, a scant hour later, was a much larger sounding troop of horsemen passing to their North and heading West. But the fog obscured all. And when the day broke in the early hours and the fog began to lift there was no sounds of the horsemen's passage.

Lethlinburg

Lethlinburg was bustling with activity throughout the night as the Imperial forces broke into shifts. Many commands splitting their forces into three shifts. Peasants were enlisted for corvee labour and all the craftsmen of the city were conscripted to the tasks of tooling supplies and weapons of war. Fletchers worked overtime with the help of a company of housewives and seamstresses to make and fletch arrows. Cobblers worked around the clock. Blacksmith forges never ceased while Armorers pulled extra hours. Meanwhile a legion of civilians were sent out into the fields to assist farmers in bringing all available produce. Anything that couldn't be hauled inside or dismantled and withdrawn into the city was destroyed to deny it to the enemy.

Battalions of soldiers from various Imperial commands and native Ducal forces were sent out to drive stakes into the earth, widen the city's moat, and poured excess metal and wooden scraps made into spikes into the moat to impede assaulting forces further. Zara was a constant presence in this endeavors. Random inspections of positions still being reinforced by scaffolding. Sentry positions. Field work and entrenchments. Zara patrolled it all with her guards and House banners aloft.

When dawn broke the preparations were still under way...
Resident Fox lover

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:57 am

Alexandros of the House Daveas
King of Elladanos
Lethlinburg

With no orders to sally or to retreat coming to the Royal forces of Elladanos, they did the only thing to be done that wasn't sitting and waiting. They went to work at a skill the had developed over many years, siege craft. Thanks ti the mountainous terrain of the nation, the entrances to Elladanos were all narrow passes, throughout the many years of Elladanos holding sovereignty over the passes, great fortresses have sprouted along the border. This meant that almost all warfare that was waged by or against Elladanos was that of the siege. Reinforcing moats, hardening walls, rationing food, all of this came as naturally as breathing to those in the Royal Army that had served tenures at the border walls and fortresses, these soldiers being a majority of the force.

When news that a siege could be coming reached the Royal Forces sprang into action, they claimed a stretch of the wall as theirs to defend and went to work fortifying it better. The moat in front of their section was widened and deepened, spikes were laid in the moat along with other objects that would wound or impede any attacker attempting to cross. Long poles meant to shove off any ladders were forged and placed at the ready on the wall, loose rocks were collected from outside and inside the walls to be thrown and dropped upon any attackers head. Extra firewood was collected and gathered together for the potential of a long siege.

The headquarters of the King moved closer to the Elladanos section of the wall, with the headquarters went the camp. The pounding of hammer on anvil could be heard as traps were forged, weapons made right, and armor was set straight. The archers of the Royal army went to work crafting extra arrows, thousands of extra projectiles being fletched in a few short days.

Through all of this action the King kept himself busy, he and his entourage were seen either pouring over logistical lists or throwing themselves into the physical side of the preparations. Alex and the Princess Cleo were even seen helping to widen the moat with pick and shovel. When not busy with these preparations the King made time for weapons practice, attempting to get himself and his soldiers used to fighting in the cold weather, furs or no furs. Breathe would come in shorter gasps and a fighting man might find himself out of breath quicker, his men would need to be ready for this.
Lover of doggos

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:54 pm

Eugeni, Shi, and Gregor - The Flight of Dragons

Preparations were being made all over Lethlinberg. Midnight candles burned at both ends in every house of the city, as residents made weapons, clothes, and barricades. Gregor and Eugeni's armies moved from their different ends of the city, preparing to dispatch and to coalesce outside of the Eastern Gate. They moved as giant pillars of shadows, lit by ominous flames which both kept them warm and signaled to the town that they were mobilizing. At the front of the armies moved their leaders, each with a standard-bearer flanking them. Eugeni, in his metal armor over cerulean and green robes, with a warm fur cloak draped over his shoulders. Shi, who had joined him after all, in the aftermath of a stern argument about his cousin's reckless nature. And finally Gregor, dressed in blazing crimson and striking black, felt the flames heating his face and eyes.

Once everyone had said their swift goodbyes to their Imperial Allies, Eugeni and Gregor's armies began to move out of the city and into the cruel, dark, chilling night. Snow did not fall heavily at the moment, but within seconds a blizzard could change everything. Eugeni kept his head down and his eyes forward, steeling himself for an encounter with the enemy. He was to find the Duke's army, play despair, and then let Gregor play his part. Thus House Mahajan's army would remain a few miles behind House Ledaal's.

"...Quite disorienting to move in the darkness, isn't it?" Gregor's eyes flickered to Eugeni's, as the last of the soldiers left the city gates.

The younger general only briefly turned to face Gregor, whose voice was one of the few comforts he had taken with him. "...I shall get used to it. Shi also knows how to navigate the darkness better than I do...I'm...not too afraid..." he murmured. He tried as well as he could to follow the light of the torches, but he knew that as they entered the forests, the torches would have to go out due to the need for stealth. Eugeni pulled his coat tight around his shoulders, a habit now that he was in colder territory.

"...By the time this is done, you will know how to navigate the darkness like the shades of the Underworld themselves," Gregor answered, giving a joking grin. His smile seemed odd by the light of the fire. Smoother, more ominous, but also more intimate. That smile was meant for Eugeni only, and it was the last sight of his old professor that the Ledaal scion would have for some time. House Mahajan's army fell back after about twenty minutes, and House Ledaal now rode in the far lead.

With Shi by his side and his standard-bearer by the other, the young general lowered his eyes for a second, staring at his horse's crisp hoof-prints in the snow, and whispered a frosty prayer into the air around him. Perhaps Yeiji would be too afraid of the cold to take revenge. Perhaps everything would go just fine. A few hours, and the battle would begin. And just as quickly, hopefully, it would be over. Dragons of the Heavens keep us, keep us until we draw our last breath, and let us fight that we may bring you glory...I am afraid...but you are not...I need the fire and might of all five dragons...if I am to kill the Bull and his army...
-Alan Jackson

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:48 pm

Movements in Snow

House Ledaal's and Mahajan's advance from Lethlinberg was anything but easy. Snow was knee deep in some places and moments of still air were a blessing. Soldiers wisely covering every bit of exposed flesh could be a life saving tactic in the harsh wintry conditions of the Near North. Their march taking them directly North-East and like Lord Breton to their South they were met by a low, dense, fog. The sound of galloping steeds and whining horses in the distance to their South, but likely not the Breton column, was of some suspicion. Though nothing could be seen and to send scouts in the smothering fog could invite them to be lost unless the column stood still. The lights of Lethlinberg vanishing in the distance behind them only served to further wreath them in the dank and dreary environment they found themselves in. The moisture of the fog wetting hair and armor before freezing into frost.

Their night would pass, much like the Bretons, with sounds in the distance but nothing really gleaned. Only upon advancing further, at least half a mile away from camp, would they seen signs of the night's activities. Bodies frozen in the snow. Mostly civilians but also soldiers in the colours of the Duchy of Lethlinberg. No doubt they had fled from threats that Ledaal and Mahajan were now marching towards. There were no obvious signs of battle. They had just died of exhaustion and froze in the night. A somber reality check for the Ledaal and Mahajan soldiers going by them on what Winter truly meant in these lands.

It was only around noon that more activity was seen. Hoof prints in the snow and the passing of horsemen. Friend or foe one could not be certain. All that the Ledaal and Mahajan forces could know was that Lord Breton's column was in the forests to their South and could potentially, most likely by accident, run into whatever fast moving forces were maneuvering in the vast valley that the Duchy of Lethlinberg had as territory.

It wouldn't be another hour until they they heard horns to the North-East and in the distance one could make out black shapes. Riders. But seemingly melting away into the arctic landscapes. Horsemen moving away however?

Lethlinberg

It was around noon on the first day of the two day gap that Lady Vai expected the Bull's forces to take in marching South-West that a small group of black shapes peaked over the horizon. Piercing the mists slowly lifting from the noon-day sun as ice ran slick with dripping water. The call went up on the Eastern Gatehouse and missile troops readied their weapons to unleash a deadly torrent upon the rapidly approaching shapes. Shapes which materialized into a troop of cavalry.

"Ducal Banners!" shouted a sentry. For indeed, borne aloft was a stained banner in the colours of the Duchy. Smaller pennant by another rider gave a nobles sigil. The riders approached and stopped before the workers preparing for the siege as a sortie of Imperial cavalry intercepted them led by Barison Jeroime of Merzeillon, Knight and Commander of House Vai's cavalry. The blond haired northerner wore a mail coif with his great helm sitting on his saddle as he led the sortie of Cavalry. Stopping a dozen paces away from the newcomers. The latter of which wore stained clothes and armor bearing dried blood and signs of battle damage, grit, and dirt. Their faces tired and haggard.

The lead rider, whose armor was more elaborate than the others, removed his helmet. Revealing a red haired, middle aged face, his short moustache and beard wet and newly frosting in the cold air. Squinting from the Sun's reflection on the snow adding higher brightness to their surroundings. He spoke in heavily accented Low Realm, "I am Sir Jahque of House Leithrel. Vassal to the Duke of Lethlinberg. Come to seek refuge in city behind you."

"I am Barisan Jeroime of Merzeillon, Knight of Merzeillon, and Commander of the House Vai Cavalry. Where do you come from, Sir Jahque, that I beg pardon in stating, so haggardly." Barisan's reply was in perfect Skytongue. Causing Sir Jahque to straighten in his saddle.

"A fellow Son of the North, indeed. I part of the garrison at Pforz. The town has since fallen."

"House Ledaal and Mahajan must have intercepted you on the road, no?" asked Barisan.

Jahque furrowed his brow, "No. I am afraid that is not the case. We road throughout the night and encountered nothing but corpses on our way South-West. To be blunt, I had fear that Lethlinberg would be besieged when we arrived. I am glad that is not the case."

"Lady Vai would be most keen to hear you journey. Come." stated Barisan as he turned his steed to allow Sir Jahque and his ragged party to follow.
Resident Fox lover

Revlona
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:06 pm

Alexandros of the House Daveas
King of Elladanos
Lethlinburg

Alexandros, young King of Elladanos had finally managed to find a bit of peace and quiet in the chaos that was their siege preparations. All the work that needed to be done had been done and so he had retired to his tent to catch up on a little bit of missed sleep when the messenger burst in. Her head was already bowed as she quickly brushed through the tents opening and dropped to one knee, “Your Grace, ducal forces have just entered the city, their leader is set to meet with the Lady Vai soon,” the messenger said.

“Damnit, thank you, dismissed” The king said, watching as the messenger stood and quickly exited the tent, head bowed the entire time. “Argos!” The king called out firmly, barely having to wait a second before the commander of his royal guard entered the tent and bowed his head slightly, “Yes Sire?” The commander inquired.

“Form a detachment, half a dozen men, we are paying a visit to the Lady Vai,” He said as he quickly and efficiently strapped his armor into place. His sword was the last thing he reached for, securing it to his belt and checking to make sure it slid in and out swiftly. He looked up to see that he had missed Argos departure and so moved to follow him out of the tent.

The 6 guardsmen, all Exalted, stood in a semi circle outside his tents entrance. Argos stood at the head of them and bowed his head once more towards the King, beside him was the Princess Cleo, her own armor already in place. The sweat clinging to her forehead and her shortness of breath told alex that she had run here.

“Come on,” The king said, leading to entourage towards the Vai headquarters. 5 minutes later the 9 members of Alex’s party stood outside of Zara’s headquarters. Alex motioned you Argos who cleated his throw to announce him, “Alexandros the First, King of Elladanos and Princess Cleodora of Elledanos to see the lady Zara,” he said
Lover of doggos

Parcia
Powerbroker

Democratic Socialists

Postby Parcia » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:32 am

The Morning

The sounds of the night had not been ignored, with a runner being sent back to report the best he could.

Breaking camp, Arthur ordered a second wine ration to be distributed to get the men's spirits high and bellies warm, as this was a dreadfully cold winter. Still, Arthur rode at the head of his forces, using his elevated position to scout for hidden foes or any other nasty surprises. Behind him, his column of men and women marched quietly and solemnly. Now was not the time for chants or marching cadences, for they were truly making way in to enemy territory. Many marched with spears held at rest, but ready, his rear guards of archers took to keeping an arrow notched just in case.

They would make good time, and likely to arrive at Redenburg later in the afternoon.

Then a whiff and a distinctive crack as an arrow flew in to Arthur's chest plate, winding him and nearly taking the armor clad man off his mount. Luckily, it was softer iron, and a broad head, meaning the tip simply fractured and shattered upon impact. While he would likely only suffer a bruise upon his chest, Arthur did feel the stinging pain of shrapnel across his face, deflecting under and in to his helmet, caught only be his arming cap and gambison. He couldn't feel any major sudden bloom of warmth, tell tale of a bleeding neck wound, and could still breath and speak rather easily, so he choose to keep on. He drew his sword and brought up a stone disk as a make shift shield, holding it aloft to catch any more arrows.

"Shields up, Right Side!" acting more so on muscle memory and training, the column of men would raise their shields and draw their spears and lock ranks. They came from the tree line, clad and furs and wielding crude axes and round shields and wailed like banshees. Yet Arthur quickly noticed there was maybe only...40, 50?

A second arrow flew past and caught his attention. Holding his hand aloft, he crushed the disk in to several dozen floating spikes of stone and launched it in to the tree line as the barbarians emerged, impaling several, shattering shields, and persuading their archers take cover. His wall held as his own archers took place behind them and fired their first volley of Bodkin arrows and cutting down a considerable portion as they trudged slowly through the deep snow. Soon enough, the still persistent line of barbarians met his own, and were quickly felled by the short spears and swords of his veteran infantry with a second volley of arrows from his longbowwomen.

As quickly as it had started, it was over, with most of the small ambushing party dead or dying in the snow. Not wanting to loose a lot of time, and hoping to retain some order of the element of surprise, he ordered a quick looting of the enemy and for any still surviving wounded to be put to the sword.

This was not a war to take prisoners.
Hooyah Navy.

Revlona
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:59 am

Near the Silver Isles

The morning sun was only beginning to touch the small island of Eramus when Alfrid rose from his cot to begin the day. He allowed himself the luxury of a quick stretch before he donned his clothing and strapped his sword to his belt. Alfrid was the de facto Lord of the village that sat in the center of the island, his family had peacefully ruled over this place for nearly 50 years. The people here herded made their livings off the timber and fish that was plentiful on the island, traders would stop by every few months to allow the villagers to acquire the needed replacements for their tools and weapons before leaving and returning to do the same half a year later. Raiders from the Silver Isles usually bypassed this place due to its low worth, usually. When they didn't bypass the Island Alfrid was forced to save his people by offering up money from his small personal treasury and hoping the raiders would take it and leave in peace, it had worked until now.

Alfrid exchanged smiles and nods with several of the other villagers who rose early like him as he walked the dirt street of his village. At the center of the village stood his hall, all official business was done their and it was where his dozen housecarls made their home. It was there that Alfrid saw the first panicked looks. A man in his early twenties hurried up to Alfrid from behind him as he neared the hall, Alfrid turned as he heard the pounding footsteps and a look of worry came across his as he saw that it was the current Sea guard, Sven Ericson, who was racing towards him. "Lord! Two ships coming from the north, Raiders! They snuck up in the dark and are minutes from landfall!" he said.

Alfrid clenched his sword handle tightly, knowing that the watch tower that Sven stood guard at was 10 minutes away and from the look of Sven he had ran. That meant that the raiders were already landed and most likely on their way already, two ships also meant it was near 100 men in the raiding party as each ship fit about 50 oars each. Alfrid came to a quick decision, "Sven go wake up all the villagers, tell the men to arm themselves and get the women and children into the hall, go now!" Alfrid said, watching as Sven hurried away, yelling at the top of his lungs as he did so.

Jarl Sigurd

The 95 men walked slowly out of the woods that lead to the Village on the Island, none of them made any effort to conceal themselves as they knew the element of surprise had already been lost to them. In front of them was a shieldwall, formed between two prominent houses that lead to the village and secured the shieldwalls flanks. "Damn, they even managed to arm the townsmen" Jarl Sigurd, Lord of the Silver isles muttered to himself as he counted the enemy before him. There were about 40 men in the shield wall, about a fourth of them armed and armored as if they were the professional warriors of the lord of the village. The rest had only shield and weapons with the occasional helm or mail shirt, these were the regular freemen of the town who had been armed by their lord for its defense.

Sigurd shrugged to himself as he realized this would be a little harder than he had planned, that couldn't be helped, something almost always went wrong in a plan. The Jarl looked around at the village behind the enemy shield wall and saw that there was only one other main entrance at the far side of the village. He nodded to himself before casting his eyes about, looking for one man in particular, he grunted as he found the man and waved him over, "Bjorn, take your crew around the village to that other entrance, cut them off and we will hit them from two sides, no looting yet," Sigurd said to Bjorn Olafson, one of his Housecarls captains. Bjorn nodded once and rallied his men to him by waving his double edges sword above his head.

Alfrid

Alfrid squinted towards the Raider group as a lot of motion began to happen, his eyesight had never been great and it had only deteriorated over the years so it took him a few seconds to puzzle out what they were doing. "Damn, they are gonna try and out flank us, I have to stop this or we stand no chance," He said, shoving his way through his shieldwall to the protests of his men and walking about 40 paces in front of it. His sword was sheathed and his shield low and not guarding his body, he hoped that the Raider leader would realize this meant he wanted to talk. "My name is Alfrid, I am Lord of this Village and am willing to pay you to leave this island, what say you?" He called out, squinting as he saw a bit more motion in the raider ranks. A man near the center was doing something odd with a object in his hands but Alfrid couldn't make out what it was. "Lord watch out!" A voice called from behind him and Alfrid turned his head, looking to see what the warning was about when the arrow slammed through the back of his neck and ended the old lords life.

Jarl Sigurd

The Jarl smiled as he saw the aging Lord collapse to the ground, the arrow ending his reign here. The enemy before him were now leaderless and Bjorns forces were about to be in position, Sigurd raised his axe above his head and pointed it at the shield wall, "Kill them all, I want the women and children alive," he shouted. He then strode forward, his men walking besides him as the approached the now leaderless shield wall. A firm shove would send those men running and Sigurd was about to give that shove. He thrust his axe forward, willing his powers to come forth as a wave of fire erupted and swept over the shield wall. Little damage was done to the men other than a few scorched shields and slight burns, however they now knew they were facing and exalted and broke. First in ones then in twos and threes they turned and ran, no thought on their minds not but escape. Escape though was not an option they had, by this point the shieldwall of Bjorn had formed and the escaping townsmen and warriors ran headlong into it. The slaughter began in earnest when Sigurds own men caught the runners in the rear.

It was all over in mere minutes, few of his own warriors had fallen while butchering the running warriors. Sigurd smiled at his men and motioned towards the village, "Go on, remember, I want the women and children alive," he said
Lover of doggos

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:06 am

Eugeni and Gregor - Winds of Silver

As the war-party advanced away from Lethlinberg, the number of trees surrounding them began to dissipate in some places, and the level of the snow began to rise. Horses that had been moving at a steady pace now clomped painfully through the snow, tossing shovelfuls of it aside as they lifted their legs to continue the journey. Piles of displaced snow sat everywhere, and little comfort was to be had as Eugeni looked toward the distance. Endless blankets of arctic desert stretched before the two armies, summoning bleak possibilities to mind. For several of his men, this area would be an unmarked grave. If their bodies were ever to be found, they would be unidentifiable. He shuddered at the thought, and looked to Shi next to him. No, I must not give any signs of fear. I have to be strong. I am an Exalted. I must demonstrate absolute strength and force of will...and yet... He stared at his cousin's face, as placid and focused as it was. I hope Shi can look at my eyes...and tell...that I am indeed afraid...I wish I was as strong as he...

As the night came, Eugeni's men stopped for a brief time to eat some of their rations. Despite the fact that Eugeni felt himself sinking to his knees as he landed in the snow, he walked toward his soldiers and checked them for frostbite. Their armor was some of the best quality in the world, and their cloaks were thick and strong, but they did impede movement, which gave frostbite more time to settle. He turned to Shi, who used his Magic to absorb some of the water that had seeped through their armor. In this way, the frostbite could be delayed, if not eradicated completely for some of the soldiers. "Men, we must trek forward, we must keep burning irons in our hearts. For our survival and for the survival of the Realm," he ordered his men, in a short speech.

Gregor's army, which remained behind significantly as according to plan, also stopped to eat rations as they heard the commotion in front of them stop. Gregor also made sure to check for frostbite, but with less of the grace and calm of his younger ally. He marched among his men, staring at them, looking them up and down, and quickly warming them by holding a hot fire in front of them and pulsing it around their armor. "Magic must be preserved. I cannot do this often. Move quickly and follow all of my directions, if you wish to keep from freezing to death. If you freeze, I cannot assure you that we will be able to carry you home to your families. You must fight. There is no option now. And if you must fight with frostbite, so shall it be. But I shall do what I can to stop this menace," he ordered. Unlike Eugeni, he could not sugarcoat their conditions. He wished to honor their intelligence, even as he knew that morale was necessary to win the battle. Yet the men knew that he was more experienced, much older, and much more straightforward about the brutality of war. House Ledaal's older scion could only just begin to grasp what lie ahead for his army.

The next morning did indeed reveal some of the horrors Eugeni could not have known. His army's horses began to trek through the snow once again, and after an hour or so, the Ledaal noble felt something crack and crunch under his horse's hooves. The horse herself neighed and reared back in shock. "AH! Wait, wait, Lei! Wait! Easy, girl! Easy!" As soon as he managed to settle her, he hopped off his horse's back, and used the wind to move away some of the snow. What he saw caused his nightmares to flare in his mind, shocking and bold and screaming. Bodies, but not just normal bodies. They were frozen, having suffered hypothermia for at least a day before dying in agony. Their faces were a still image of perpetual agony, though their souls had long left them as the shells they were. Lei had stepped on one of the faces, and now even that image of agony was crushed. The body Eugeni first examined almost had no face from the impact, and as he and some soldiers investigated, they found that many of the bodies no longer had faces, limbs, chests, or even heads.

"...Lord Eugeni?" A soldier approached Eugeni as he stood over one body, his body shuddering.

Blue eyes. Bright blue. Much like the eye that had rolled toward him after Zara's brutal assault on an enemy soldier. This was another young man. A farmer, by the looks of his clothing. An innocent civilian. He had seen some women and children, though their faces and bodies were so badly damaged by the elements and by the marching. He had to wonder if his wife was somewhere in that snow. He probably had children. More bodies were of soldiers, perhaps some guards trying to get away from Pforz in the east. All of them were dead, breathless, their stories finished in the middle of a page.

"...Yes, Shan?" Eugeni turned to look at the concerned soldier next to him, his own eyes filled with subtle grief.

"...Are you well, sir?"

What embarrassment filled his stomach. Eugeni had shown weakness to his men, after he had sworn he would not do so. He gave a small nod. "...Yes. I am well. Thank you for your concern," he answered, pulling himself back into a straight position. He looked at his men, who all gazed at him, waiting for orders. With a sinking feeling in his heart, now he understood an extent of what was to come. Shan, or perhaps one of the other soldiers in the army, or even several, would meet a fate like this in the sortie against the Bull. "...We must continue. Our path will not become easier. But we are strong men with the love of civilization in our hearts. Let us continue." With this short speech, he walked back to his trusty horse, mounted her, and continued to lead his army.

Mahajan's forces followed the same direction, watching for the Standard of the Ledaal forces a few miles away. His army stepped over the bodies, some moving around them, others trying to ignore the nasty sounds of horse-hooves crushing ice and bones. Unlike Eugeni, Gregor never looked down to see them. They were dead, and the dead would bury their dead. Instead, he moved forward, bracing himself with annoyance as an even worse threat began to surface. A thick, heavy fog opened its maw to embrace both armies, and he growled. Having rested minimally during the night, he had plenty more fire to summon, and he held some in a fist to try and give his soldiers some light to follow. "Men! Do not stray from behind me unless I give a signal!" he shouted behind him, "This is treacherous territory! If you leave my side you will die in this cold!"

Eugeni did have one advantage, though he himself could control Air and could move some of the fog around. Shi himself specialized with fog, and so his older cousin turned to him. "...If you could potentially move some of this fog, it would help us..." he murmured.

Nodding, Shi obeyed. His hair floated around him as he summoned his Affinity, and as he held a hand toward the fog, some of it blasted apart ahead of the army. Yet not all of it was gone. Shi and Eugeni's forces would have to remain close, or risk being gone forever. And even then, their army did not know what lie ahead on the other side of the fog. The Bull's army, or the Duchy's forces which they were to save. However, as they moved and cleared some of the fog, they did notice some strange, blurry figures. Men on horseback. They did not move toward the armies, but away. Eugeni squinted his eyes to try and make sense of these new shapes. "...Are these...the Duchy's men?...Or are we being led into a trap?" He looked to Shi, who also squinted to look ahead. Finally, contact, but neither knew it is was the contact they wanted.
-Alan Jackson

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:36 pm

Pforz and Environs

The distance was just large enough to make out the riders clearly. Though the riders seems to realize them as they spurred their horses and vanished below the differences in elevation. Silence. Then drums and horns. Black shapes in dozens, then hundreds, then at least a thousand moved into view in close order. Black shapes danced above them. Banners. The Imperial forces had been spotted, and it looked like there wasn't a friendly force before them, as the black shapes kept multiplying as more and more masses of approaching infantry appeared over the hillock. Moving closer and closer till Eugeni and Shi could make them out more clearly. They wore furs and lamellar armours of bone and metal. Leather and hide. Banners and effigies of Far Northern spirits and Gods.

From the right flank and moving in behind a small gap in the massing infantries ranks a troops of horsemen assembled.

Before Pforz

Taking a swig of his goatskin the man sitting upon the large, beefy, northern steed looked on at the force freshly arrived from the South-West. "The Empire has come!" said a man to his right. Another rider. Both of their armour was more ornate than the warriors trooping forward around them. "Nay, too few. One of their noble houses no doubt. Recognize their banners Fafrir?"

The other warrior in ornate armour stroked a red beard with flicks of silver. "Hmmm hard to say. These petty Southrons and their effeminates love of bright colours. Peleps? No Ledaal? Yes, I would say Ledaal, Grugni."

Grugni spit phlegm into the snow and cleared his throat. Turning to Fafrir, "Ready the Iceborne." Fafrir grinned and knicked his steed unto movement. While Grugni motioned his horse forward. The infantry creatinga channel for him to ride through till he was at the front of his army. More and more arriving over the hillock to the North and South. He had eleven thousand warriors on this side of the river. Another fourteen thousand crossing or waiting to cross. Freshly arrived after Pforz had fallen. But he would meet these Imperials.

Turning to the bannerman on his left he waved him to follow. The two men trotting forth with the bannerman raising his banner high. A dark blue banner with a trio of black crows. Signaling they wished to parlay. Grugni's black and brown furs keeping him warm in the bitter cold. His pearly blue eyes looking about while long blond locks were held down by his bronze helmet. The bannerman was equipped much the same except, unlike Grugni's helm which was festooned with artifice depicting ravens on the cheek guards and navel, the bannerman's helm was plain and unadorned of iron.

Lethlinberg, Imperial Headquarters

The doors opened as a pair of Zara's white armoured bodyguards opened the threshold for them to pass. Another pair stood on the other side. With pairs of the white clad armoured warriors standing opposite each other at attention, evenly spaced throughout the room, while Zara herself stood on the opposite side of the map table from the entrance. A knight in gear worse for wear stepped back to look at them.

"The Lord of Elledanos. May I ask why you have come?" said Zara inquisitively.
Last edited by Imperialisium on Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Fox lover

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:37 am

Imperialisium wrote:Pforz and Environs

The distance was just large enough to make out the riders clearly. Though the riders seems to realize them as they spurred their horses and vanished below the differences in elevation. Silence. Then drums and horns. Black shapes in dozens, then hundreds, then at least a thousand moved into view in close order. Black shapes danced above them. Banners. The Imperial forces had been spotted, and it looked like there wasn't a friendly force before them, as the black shapes kept multiplying as more and more masses of approaching infantry appeared over the hillock. Moving closer and closer till Eugeni and Shi could make them out more clearly. They wore furs and lamellar armours of bone and metal. Leather and hide. Banners and effigies of Far Northern spirits and Gods.

From the right flank and moving in behind a small gap in the massing infantries ranks a troops of horsemen assembled.

Before Pforz

Taking a swig of his goatskin the man sitting upon the large, beefy, northern steed looked on at the force freshly arrived from the South-West. "The Empire has come!" said a man to his right. Another rider. Both of their armour was more ornate than the warriors trooping forward around them. "Nay, too few. One of their noble houses no doubt. Recognize their banners Fafrir?"

The other warrior in ornate armour stroked a red beard with flicks of silver. "Hmmm hard to say. These petty Southrons and their effeminates love of bright colours. Peleps? No Ledaal? Yes, I would say Ledaal, Grugni."

Grugni spit phlegm into the snow and cleared his throat. Turning to Fafrir, "Ready the Iceborne." Fafrir grinned and knicked his steed unto movement. While Grugni motioned his horse forward. The infantry creatinga channel for him to ride through till he was at the front of his army. More and more arriving over the hillock to the North and South. He had eleven thousand warriors on this side of the river. Another fourteen thousand crossing or waiting to cross. Freshly arrived after Pforz had fallen. But he would meet these Imperials.

Turning to the bannerman on his left he waved him to follow. The two men trotting forth with the bannerman raising his banner high. A dark blue banner with a trio of black crows. Signaling they wished to parlay. Grugni's black and brown furs keeping him warm in the bitter cold. His pearly blue eyes looking about while long blond locks were held down by his bronze helmet. The bannerman was equipped much the same except, unlike Grugni's helm which was festooned with artifice depicting ravens on the cheek guards and navel, the bannerman's helm was plain and unadorned of iron.

Lethlinberg, Imperial Headquarters

The doors opened as a pair of Zara's white armoured bodyguards opened the threshold for them to pass. Another pair stood on the other side. With pairs of the white clad armoured warriors standing opposite each other at attention, evenly spaced throughout the room, while Zara herself stood on the opposite side of the map table from the entrance. A knight in gear worse for wear stepped back to look at them.

Eugeni - Fog Signals

Shi's eyes shifted as he leaned forward on his horse, glaring forward at the shadows hurrying through the snow. At first, they seemed to be moving at a steady pace, but now both he and Eugeni could see that they were galloping. Even worse, they had raised their banners to symbolize an attack. Neither noble could believe what they were seeing. The enemies had been closer than they had expected, and now Ledaal had to move into a battle formation at a lightning pace.

"Men! Assemble, quickly! As we discussed!" With haste, Eugeni passed the order back, and several of his generals all passed the order to the troops far behind them. A loud wave of noise fell over the snow-bereft armed forces, as they drew spears and swords to fight. Archers prepared their bows, and others raised their shields to defend against the spears they saw before them. Shi's clearance of the fog did reveal the breadth of the enemy's army awaiting Ledaal's troops-thousands and thousands of men, some on horses, all waiting for that moment when the blood fell into the snow, so that they may strike. Yet Ledaal's banner rose high and whipped in the wind, and the Imperial soldiers prepared themselves.

Yet Eugeni decided to hold his fire, after a further glance. He did not recognize that banner, and the enemy general had not raised his weapon to charge. However, he wanted to project some sort of power, and he did not wish for the enemy to believe he was someone to trample. As they drew close, he kept a hand on his fan, and called to the opposing army. "HALT! We are from the Imperial Forces, and we do not recognize your flag! I am Lord Eugeni Ledaal of House Ledaal, and I am the general of Ledaal's forces. Identify yourselves!" he called. Grugni would notice that his opposer's voice was young, almost a little soft for a military leader, but still firm and serious. To show that he was serious, he had his troops lower their weapons only slightly, but not enough to show they were lowering their guard. They needed to speak, and if the enemy decided to attack, or to stab Eugeni on his horse, then they would strike.

Gregor - Battle Studies

"Lord Gregor, why did we stop?"

"Shhhhh!" Gregor shushed his right-hand as his horse stopped a few miles behind the last of Eugeni's soldiers. He stared out at the fog, and saw the shadows of an enemy force. "...Apparently we have stopped to chat..." he murmured. He looked back at his own troops, which were a smaller band but powerful enough, and he called back an order. "Assemble and wait," he ordered. Soon, his own troops began to prepare their weapons, and their Lord turned back to gaze at the wall of soldiers ahead. He knew Eugeni and Shi were at the front, and he could not communicate from here what they should do. He did not even know if someone had a torch ahead, so that he might be able to use pyromancy and to give both armies an advantage.

Let him work, pray for the best, and should the worst come...we will turn the snow red with all of the blood we can find... he thought darkly. His own sword was ready, but he was itching to use his Aspect. Burning a few enemy bodies would be cathartic for him, given what he had dealt with in the bureaucracy of the Imperial Forces during his travels.
Last edited by Luminesa on Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Alan Jackson

Parcia
Powerbroker

Democratic Socialists

Postby Parcia » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:47 am

Yang, the Fog.

The bear pelt was Kahn's idea. The Northern Dire Bear was a rare beast, able to tear several men apart with claw and tooth, but their pelts were known to have an almost magical quality of blending in to the white landscape of the wintery north when ever it snowed, leading to many a inattentive hunter finding him self the prey to a hungry bear.

They had spotted the formation of what they gaged to be enemy forces earlier in the morning while scouting for the river it self, the dense fog being enough of a cloak Yang and the small little scout Kahn had strangely insisted he take with him. He--She was a small, lithe thing and either just petite, or much younger then yang would have liked. None the less, she kept pace with him the entire hour it took the two of them to steadily and quietly crawl through the shifting fog and deep, powdery snow until they were with in accurate firing distance for his firelance.

His body and legs down to his boots were covered by the pelt, with his assistant having a matching cloak, while each of them wore dyed white cloths wrapped around their hands and necks, and they both packed snow in to their mouths to prevent their breathes from misting. Yang had also taken the liberty to wrap his firelance in that same white cloth.

Warfare was not something to conflate with honor, for there was no honor in killing. To dismantle a force of larger size and scope, one must dismantle it's command structure, one must cut the head off the snake, so to speak. He new the culture of the northerners, of the proper civilized troops that fought under the bull. When he recognized the General from House Ledaal by both his voice and his rather distinctively thin figure, Yang came to a stop and pressed his lance in to the snowy bank. He quietly, slowly gathered some packed snow beneath the barrel of the firelance and centered the singular post on the group of men opposite him, waiting for one to speak.

He was going to, gods willing, take the head off the leader of these forces, or at most the senior most officer present honor be damned. His assistant lay next to him, her buryat bow in hand and a jade tipped northern bodkin ready to be notched and drawn. A few hundred meters behind them, lay Kahn and his mounted riders ready to charge the forces trudging across the cold river and hopefully catch them by surprise.

He just needed one to speak.
Last edited by Parcia on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:09 pm

Amidst virgin fields, Red

The ranks of Northmen stopped fifty meters from the troops of House Ledaal. Grugni and his standard bearer kept going however. Until they were within speaking distance of Eugeni and Shi. Grugni stroked his long blonde beard with a hand clad in brown leather. Tough and unadorned with any fine filigree. Indeed, despite being a Chieftain of Men to the Far North he bore no adornments beyond those of his helmet. The man remained silent with his standard bearer beside him. Their eyes looking upon the ranks of Ledaal soldiers and their banners. The standard bearer was middle aged as well with a short red beard drawn into two thin braids held down by black beads. His goggled helmet hid much of the upper half of his face. Just like Grugni's.

Turning to his standard bearer Grugni spoke in a dialect of Skytongue found only well outside the Realm's borders." Alveg þunnt. Ertu viss um að það sé maður?" Quite thin. You sure this a Man?

The standard bearer chuckled under his breadth before regaining composure. Grugni turned his head back to Eugeni and Shi and spoke in heavily stilted Low Realm, "No battle need. You come to give fealty to The Bull of the North?"
His accent and inflection adding to the broken understanding of the language. Yet, at least he knew enough to string together somewhat of a sentence.

Behind him the ranks of Northmen clutched their weapons. While shimmering of mist around their ranks slowly rose in wisps. Indeed, to the sorcerers of the House Ledaal side it was evident that wards were being worked by magic users in the ranks of the Northerners.

Meanwhile, so far, the presence of Yang's troop of horsemen had gone so far unnoticed.
Resident Fox lover

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:05 pm

Imperialisium wrote:Amidst virgin fields, Red

The ranks of Northmen stopped fifty meters from the troops of House Ledaal. Grugni and his standard bearer kept going however. Until they were within speaking distance of Eugeni and Shi. Grugni stroked his long blonde beard with a hand clad in brown leather. Tough and unadorned with any fine filigree. Indeed, despite being a Chieftain of Men to the Far North he bore no adornments beyond those of his helmet. The man remained silent with his standard bearer beside him. Their eyes looking upon the ranks of Ledaal soldiers and their banners. The standard bearer was middle aged as well with a short red beard drawn into two thin braids held down by black beads. His goggled helmet hid much of the upper half of his face. Just like Grugni's.

Turning to his standard bearer Grugni spoke in a dialect of Skytongue found only well outside the Realm's borders." Alveg þunnt. Ertu viss um að það sé maður?" Quite thin. You sure this a Man?

The standard bearer chuckled under his breadth before regaining composure. Grugni turned his head back to Eugeni and Shi and spoke in heavily stilted Low Realm, "No battle need. You come to give fealty to The Bull of the North?"
His accent and inflection adding to the broken understanding of the language. Yet, at least he knew enough to string together somewhat of a sentence.

Behind him the ranks of Northmen clutched their weapons. While shimmering of mist around their ranks slowly rose in wisps. Indeed, to the sorcerers of the House Ledaal side it was evident that wards were being worked by magic users in the ranks of the Northerners.

Meanwhile, so far, the presence of Yang's troop of horsemen had gone so far unnoticed.

Eugeni - Battle Studies

Eugeni watched as the army of the enemy charged forward. He wondered if he had made a mistake halting his own troops, and was about to call them to charge. However, he then noticed that Grugni’s army was slowing itself. Their horses and boots came to a slow trot, and then to a sudden stop, sending snow flying around for a moment before all became still. The Ledaal scion could see his breath float into the frozen air, and he watched the opposing general as he moved forward after a moment.

From what he could guess, Grugni was making remarks about him to one of his right-hand men. He did not mind. Anything this man could call him meant nothing as long as he and his men survived. The Ledaal heir was patient and graceful, sitting tall on his own steed as he waited for the other man to speak. He made an attempt, a rocky one, to speak in Eugeni and Shi’s own language, and the younger general appreciated this attempt.

“I apologize, sir. To the Bull we do not,” Eugeni began, “but I respect that you are an intelligent opponent, and a father to your men. I do not wish for harm upon soldiers whose families await theirs as they await mine. However, the Bull threatens our people and our realm.” He re-adjusted the hand holding his fan, ready to wave it and to slice into the opposing general if he attacked. “If you choose to return from whence you came, no harm will come upon you. However, I cannot guarantee your life if you choose to engage in combat.”

Shi was silent and vigilant, much like the stark grey clouds looming over the battlefield. He looked behind him at the Ledaal army holding their weapons aloft. Their own Magic-users stood prepared with their own spells, and he had no doubts that Mahajan was waiting in the wings, should Grugni’s army proceed. At the same time, however, as he looked into the fog on the side, he thought he saw something. Being a controller of fog, he shifted it around just slightly, and now he saw several shadows. Whether they were friends or foes he could not gander, but he held his own daggers under his robes, ready to land a quick kill and to hurry with Eugeni’s army.
Last edited by Luminesa on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Alan Jackson

Revlona
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:17 pm

The Young King bowed his head slightly to Zara as he was let into the room to face Zara, Cleo did the same as she stood beside Alex. "I apologize for the Intrusion My Lady, I didn't realize you were busy, I simply wished to inform you that the section of the walls assigned to my people have been fortified and extended to the best of our extensive abilities. I fear that with the work done my men will start to lose discipline so I wonder if there is any task you would have of us?" He said, lying skillfully of the true reason for his visit.

The true reason being his curiosity in the other man in the room, the Knight. He nodded respectfully to the man before saying, "Sir Knight, you are of the Ducal forces yes? I trust the news you bring is good," one eyebrow raised as he spoke. Alex was extremely curious of whatever the news this Knight had brought, he was like his men, worse even, as he longed for something to do. The worst part of a battle was waiting for it to come, that was what his father had told him once and it had been proven true to Alex in his southern Campaign.
Lover of doggos

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse