NATION

PASSWORD

Exalted: Age of Sorrows (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:44 pm

Woodstovia wrote:Lucien Brightwater

A lord who dealt with medicine and healing seemed like a novel prospect to Lucien. "Healer? Medicines? Doesn't your Lord want to ride off and cleave men and women in two like all the rest of them?" although Lucien was probably guilty of that himself, he was a man dedicated to war and not to peace. He felt his head giving a weary nod as he went off to move towards Lord Eugeni, but any medic or cleric would do right now. As he began moving off however he heard gasps and the movement of a great crowd somewhere back across the narrow alleyways of Lethlinberg where he had came from. Lucien stood a little straighter and his hand moved towards his javelin as he braced himself. Had the enemy launched a surprise attack? Was there some kind of rioting or unrest amongst the people?

A massive green mass of claws and scales galloped down the streets. Beady red eyes that shone with malevolence looked out and stared at him as the rider drew his mount to a halt. The Clawed One was big as a horse, a green-scaled lizard whose mouth was filled with rows of savage yellow teeth each as big as his arm. Two small arms with hooked claws sharper than swords hung below the mouth. Malice he knew.

His father Lord Languay Brightwater had brought back a clutch of Clawed One eggs from far in the east after a campaign of conquest in order to display some sort of strength after the Battle of the Kitsune. The Clawed Ones were infamous mounts, better fighters than horses, but wild, violent, and almost impossible for most to tame, although Exalted seemed to be better at taming them than regular men. They weren't the sort of mounts used in civilised events, but his lord had never been one for civility.

Aerion threw a full chicken into the air and his mount rose up to rip it from the air, devouring it whole as its claws and teeth ripped and apart its flesh, throwing bloody chunks into its maw when it was done. It was more well fed than all the citizens of Lethlinberg, Lucien thought. They were difficult to transport and needed for more food than a horse, it had to be meat too. But Lucien could not deny its effectiveness in combat. When Aerion had been playing the gallant lord for the other nobles here he had ridden upon a fine destrier, but now he thought nobody was looking he brought his truest friend.

"You're stealing my men brother." Aerion sneered, commoners and soldiers alike fleeing or panicking as Malice moved forwards. "These men are needed for battle on the morrow when they smash the Northerners and I take another victory. You're wearing them out by making them do this peasant business of building houses and nursing commoners back to health. These are empty mouths in a time of war, best we leave them to their fate."

"Empty mouths when our stores are full. feeding them isn't the problem" Lucien said. He was wary when talking to his brother. He was a fool but still his lord, and it was difficult to rebuke his orders. "Our victories will be more difficult if we do not have the support of the people. There have been many sieges lost due to rebellious populations opening the gates for the enemy in the middle of the night. The men weren't doing anything productive anyway and hadn't fought. A few hours of work won't do them harm-"

"If they're such a danger brother perhaps we should put them to the sword and be done with it. Malice needs the meat after all."

Lucien felt his skin crawl but Aerion barked an order and the Brightwater soldiers began walking back to their camp.

Eugeni and Shan Yui - Toxic Friends

“Ah no...Lord Eugeni dislikes violence. Very much so. He spent...most of yesterday healing wounded citizens...It hurts him to see so many injured. But even a gentle man can fight, if he must...It does not require a love of violence, but rather an understanding of duty. A love for one’s countrymen and liege. But you seem to be an honorable man, General Brightwater.” Shan Yui gave a respectful smile to his fellow military man. Lucien seemed to have more of a good character than the other Brightwater, and he nodded to him as he looked to approach Eugeni.

The Ledaal Noble took a moment to acknowledge him, as he was digging for ointments for Lady Zara’s wounds. He smiled to Lucien, a kind and welcome look. He could tell that the man was exhausted just by eyeing him, and he would be glad to assist him. However, the quiet moment found a harsh interruption.

Ripping through the snow and bodies came Aerion, riding a beast that could only be described as alien. Civilians who were standing around screamed and hurried out of the way. Several soldiers shouted orders for people to move, as they took notice of the invading force. They had thought for a few moments that an enemy had rushed through, and the Brightwater Noble might as well have been an enemy, given his cruel sheer and bloodthirsty eyes.

Shan Yui had already received a negative impression of Aerion, after seeing him reveling in food and drink in his own camp. Seeing him with such a wild, dangerous animal made his mood sour further, and he kept a hand on his sword. “Excuse me, Sir Brightwater. I am Shan Yui, General of the Ledaal Army. I was the one who requested your men’s assistance, including that of your general, on behalf of the Imperial Army. General Brightwater came willingly and has demonstrated prowess in his administrative capabilities. We are of equal ranking, and I respect his presence.”

After he gave praise to Lucien, however, the veteran general’s eyes darkened. “However...I did not request your assistance, Sir Brightwater, as our situation is dire and requires action. Your camp shall not last very long if the Bull’s Army finds it and pillages it. For that reason, we are involved in rebuilding and recovery efforts. If you do not wish to be involved, I did not request you anyway. This is work for men with hardened hands, not hardened hearts and reckless behavior,” he explained, keeping his voice even.

Eugeni was completely shell-shocked by the affair, and now had proof of Aerion’s lack of empathy toward the lives of his own men. He felt his bones chill, and watched the light fade in General Brightwater’s eyes. He was used to this awful behavior. The Ledaal Noble did not know if he should speak to Shan Yui, but his own general had cut orcs with his own two hands and had survived countless battles. He remained ready, knowing that he may need to intervene, especially if Lady Zara was injured and not in the mood.
Last edited by Luminesa on Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:18 pm

Antimersia wrote:Medi Munkii

As the enemy retreats the pain in Medi's stabbed shoulder grows. He tries not to show it. Opting for his usual smile instead. There are people on this battlefield who have lost their limbs, or more, in the course of this battle. He will not whine over a single stabbing. Feeling the grip of Gregor's hand on his other shoulder was rather warm and welcome. He turned and listened to the general's advice. He saw the medics working hard in the field. and Medi knew that they were working just as hard back behind the walls. It almost made him sad to think that he might take time away from a cleric who could be helping someone more in need. But then his mind drifted to Azrellia. Hearing Gregor mention her filled Medi's mind with thoughts of her and worries of her safety. Further, he recalled the cleric in the shelter that was caring for her.

"Thanks, Lord Gregor. I'll do that. I might find a better staff while I'm at it! This pike did good work but it just isn't the same." Medi said with a minor solemnity. He missed his old bo staff, and was eager to continue his journey with a new one. He left Gregor to head back in through the southern gate. His tunic was starting to get heavy with blood. And as his body lost it, walking through the streets became tougher as well. The cold chill grew worse. Medi knew how to warm himself through his abilities. But even with that knowledge, the snow and blood loss made it hard to not shiver. Several soldiers and medics offered to help him along the way. But Medi wasn't about to take their help when he saw others still in need. Especially civilians caught in the cross fire. He politely declined each of them, forcing his way through until he finally reached the shelter. Getting inside, his body was almost as white as the snow outside. He stumbled a few times, but thankfully made it back to the cot beside Azrellia's. The gaseous spirit was looking fuller and more vibrant than when he left. A sight that makes Medi's smile grow even wider. The smile disappears though, once the cleric that was tending to Azrellia arrives to help him. The cleric doesn't even ask permission, he simply gets to work. Medi feints from pain as the doc removes the blade from his shoulder. Using healing magic and proper sutures to seal the wound so Medi might start healing and not risk any rampant infection as Gregor thought could occur. He isn't out of the woods. But as he lays and rests beside Azrellia, they are both healing.

Gregor - Burning Aches

Gregor took a glance at Medi's shoulder wound and raised an eyebrow. He was surprised he had not taken other wounds, but given Medi's crooked grin, he could have been hiding other injuries. He sighed, and nodded toward a group of Ledaal healers. "Over there with you, and tell Azrellia that I said hello if she awakens," he explained. He then continued to walk along the walls, glancing around him at the damage. He definitely had caused a lot of destruction, and he whistled softly at the smokestacks still rising over the Southern Gate. Mahajan soldiers spent their time dragging bodies from the wreckage, sending those still alive to any available healers. If bodies were not reduced to ashes, they were charred whole or found in pieces. Some of them had been his own men who had been caught in the crossfire, but many were from the Bull's Army, including at least two Orcs.

"...Quite a lot of casualties, General Gregor," one captain commented, as they helped drag a soldier toward a Ledaal healer.

"As expected. It is unfortunate that such a large attack had become necessary...and we cannot revive those who have succumbed to the fire..." he murmured, showing a hint of sorrow in his tone. He knew he would have to address his men later on the topic. Even if they had won, they had barely survived, and they had suffered losses that were his responsibility. As the wounded moved past him, he turned toward the gates and looked for the cavalry.

They came in due time, with at least one general leading the charge. He could tell the casualties had been heavy for them as well, and he nodded. "Excellent work, men. Your charge prevented a far worse disaster. I'm sure I do not have to tell you exactly how things went since...you can see that the Southern Gate is gone." He nodded to the carnage lying around him, including the horrific scent of burning bodies that polluted the air. "But more on that later. Now, we have more work to do! Bring the wounded to the healers! Wounded to the healers now! Dismount your horses accordingly and help with the removal of debris! We have damage to mend and very little time! Now-"

As the cavalry moved and the commotion continued as smoothly as possible, Gregor found his directions interrupted by the arrival of a massive Clawed One. On its back was the young blonde Noble he had seen the night before, though at that time he had been impossibly drunk. Now he was sober, and still cruel. Gregor found himself frowning as the young man glared down his own general and his men, ordering them back to his camp for the sake of antagonizing the rest of the Imperial Forces and little more. Having the Clawed One eat a massive chicken was a move he had intended as intimidation as well. However, while his own general was moving with the expression of a whipped dog back to the Brightwater camp, Shan Yui stood and addressed Aerion directly. The Mahajan leader could tell that this action made Eugeni immediately become nervous, but the Ledaal general did not shift from his position. Gregor only hoped he would not have to get himself or Daana involved, and he continued to direct traffic in the background.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:42 pm

Revlona wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Eugeni - The Healer and the Harvester

Eugeni's hand-fans dripped with blood. His armor was speckled with crimson, and his boots were smeared with the ichor of dead enemies. They made a sickening splish, as he pivoted to look at Silisia. She had awakened, and looked shaken by the fact that she had gone unconscious during battle. She did not even remember falling. He watched Silisia sit upright slowly, gingerly, as if her bones were filled with lead and dropped onto the stony wall. His eyes met hers, and he noticed that she seemed to still be aching.

With fewer enemies surrounding him, he knelt in front of her again, folding his fans while he dug for another ointment. "...You...fell unconscious, miss, and...I did not wish for anyone to attack you in such a vulnerable state...Your armor signified that you were not one of the Bull's lieutenants...and I had heard that you were causing quite the stir a few minutes ago..." he explained, as he found a small tub in his belt-pouch. "...Here...this...is for aches and pains...it's not much...but it should help you to feel better swinging a sword around..." Even while covered in blood and specks of gore, he still kept his soft, gentle voice when speaking to a patient. He tried not to shake as he felt the back of her head and checked her for other injuries. "...Here. Hold onto this, apply where needed, perhaps give some to some of your men. It will help them as well as yourself..."

He smiled at her, and then whirled around. A blur of crimson, turquoise, and gold, his fans chopped through the neck of an enemy soldier without much effort. He shook some of the residual gore off the fan, and then turned back to Silisia. "Are you going to be alright?...We shall need you in the fight, if you are able," he urged her.

Gregor - Blind Faith

The Mahajan forces continued their blizzard of bloody warfare around the Ledaal noble and Silisia, and Gregor stood over the carnage he had rendered toward the soldiers near the ground. He had expected some blowback. He knew the soldiers would try to find their way into Lethlinberg, this time through another route. The airships were not expected, but they were being assaulted by artillery and Lady Zara. He figured she would be just fine killing the pilots of airships, and he chuckled to himself. He then waited to see who would rise from the ashes he had created below.

In the meantime, he found that another ally had joined them along the wall. An orb of wind and a whirling pike moved upward as if they were part of a flying apparatus. Underneath them was their pilot, a grinning and determined Medi. He soared up above the wall, and then landed a few yards away. The wind he had summoned exploded, throwing enemies in every direction. The scene was quite sudden and raucous, as the Bull's soldiers either crashed against walls or fell over them to their deaths. While he was wary about a blind warrior running along these crowds walls, Gregor could not help but smirk.

"...You have spunk, Medi, I have to give you credit for that much. Now how about you stab some of the men around Shan Yui and take a load off his back? He's killed a couple of orcs and I imagine he's getting tired again," he called to him. He hoped Medi would recognize his voice. If he was willing to fight, then Gregor would put him to work.

Silisia

She listened as the boyish looking Exalted spoke to her, his tone that of a man attempting to calm a spooked horse , gentle and calming. She nodded once as he finished speaking to her, "Yes I am able," Silisia said. Her eyes roamed around her and she reached out her hand as she found what she was looking for. She pulled the hand and a half sword that was her families blade to herself and used it as s simple crutch to climb to her feet. She looked around herself but could not find her helm, the healer must have removed it and tossed it aside without thought.

It was then that the healers words hit her truly. She had been causing a stir? Had she done something when she had blacked out? Killed some great enemy leader or single handedly held a breach? She could not remember and that worried her, she did not want to face accusations of being a false hero after the battle should she continue to survive, it would tarnish her families name and that was something she could not allow. However if she spoke out against it now the healer or Lord Gregor might take it poorly, she had heard that exalted could have nasty tempers and killing her would be an easy feat if they thought her a liar.

"I shall fight by your side happily my Lord, my regiment took heavy casualties and," She said before looking around herself at the Vai warriors who manned the walls. "It seems like they have been moved off the wall, those who live. I am still able bodied so direct me to where you think I shall do the most help and I will go," Silisia said, sheathing her blade as she dipped her head some to the exalted before her.

Eugeni - Look For the Helpers

Eugeni continued to watch the drama unfold between Shan Yui and Aerion, hoping that the beast would not actually attack his General. He kept his fans drawn, and his eyes sharpened toward the Brightwater Noble. He knew that Shan Yui would not take the first step and antagonize the Brightwater troops, who were still at least begrudgingly loyal to their cruel lord. He also had to wonder if Aerion would attack with Lady Zara standing so close. Even if she did not stop the fight, he would be making a bad showing if he attacked first.

At that moment, he heard someone speak behind him. Silisia had followed him through the end of the fight, and had gotten blood spilled on her armor almost as much as Lady Zara. At first he glanced at her with worry, but he softened when he heard her quiet, eager tone. Trying to keep an eye on Shan Yui at the same time, he leaned toward her to speak. "If you'd like to help with moving debris, so that we can determine what can be used for the reconstruction of the Southern Gate, I think you would do plenty of good. You can also bring supplies and bodies to the healers, or see if the shelter in the Western District will take any wounded. I would be quite grateful, as it seems my work has been sorely interrupted," he whispered to her. He tried to hide the nervousness in his voice as he tried to help Silisia find something to do.

Shan...please...don't do anything rash...
Last edited by Luminesa on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Alan Jackson

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:35 am

Aerion Brightwater

The faintest hint of discomfort flickered past Aerion's face. He had not expected there to be so many here, he had only come to reprimand his brother and corral some of his underlings back to his camp. Malice was not the sort of mount rode within polite company and appearances were everything here. But Aerion's discomfort was quickly replaced by his lord's face. If he was not expecting them to be here it made no difference, they would all see his house's power and prestige, and his own might. Let them not think of me as polite company so long as they cower in fear at my presence. He thought. Malice reared up and growled and Aerion made little effort in stopping her.

Aerion frowned as he heard the lackey beside Lucien open his mouth and wag his tongue. He heard the words but his mind was more focused on the hand the man placed upon his sword hilt and the dark gleam in his eyes. This was a man who enjoyed violence and bullying like the boys at the academy Aerion understood immediately, his ears pricking up at the man's insults and challenges. A brazen one, a mere general trying to insult a lord. Aerion suppressed his urge to immediately run the man down and cut off his tongue, though the image of his lance driving through the idiot's heart and caking itself in his blood filled Aerion's mind and he had to admit it was a tempting prospect.

Aerion's eyes flitted to his own retainers, there were 5, not including the handful of soldiers Lucien had corralled into doing peasant work, nor Lucien himself. Their hands were also touching the hilts of swords or lances. He had kept his heaviest cavalry away from the fighting and they were thirsty for blood. But they were too few. House Ledaal soldiers surrounded them and their lord was close, he could no doubt call upon even more men to join them. Priests and Monks with no idea how to hold a sword or shield. Every House Brightwater man was worth 5 Ledaal's and Aerion 500 but fighting a civil war inside a besieged city was not a particularly good idea for the war effort. Aerion may have loathed these men but suffering through their insults was a better fate than whatever The Bull had in store for him and his men. And he would win no glories if he did not win a victory here.

He raised a hand for calm and finally spoke, though his eyes went past Shun Yue or whatever his name was. He was not worth Aerion's sight. Instead, his eyes looked past to his lord as he spoke. "You may be Lucien's equal, but that means I am your superior. You do not command my men, nor does my dear brother outside of combat. If your situation is so dire I would think it best to let your men rest and recuperate rather than engage in peasant work. Or perhaps the soldiers of House Ledaal are not warriors at all, but builders and bean counters." that drew laughter from his men but Aerion's face showed no hint of amusement. "These are my men to command and I command them to return to their posts. I assume you mispronounced my title as "sir" and not "Lord", for I cut the tongues of men who forget my titles. See to it that you do not misspeak again." Aerion turned Malice around and began to bid a retreat.
Last edited by Woodstovia on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:27 pm

Zara Azairya Vai

Zara largely kept to herself following the battle. Even as reports of the enemy breaking camp and withdrawing towards the North-East in the direction of the River were House Ledaal had fought the enemy prior. She knew why of course. They were regrouping. They did not have the numbers to take the city without exhausting themselves. The Bull's empire was fighting on multiple fronts and he could not be everywhere at once. His commanders, who led this army that the Imperials had faced just now, knew that to exhaust themselves was to possibly invite a reversal of their fortunes. A cascade effect where The Bull would have to sacrifice other theaters of war to stabilize this one.

Even as they bickered near her, the commanders of various House armies, she did not interject. She was exhausted. Let them fight among each other for a time. So long as no one massacres the other I could less on what lordling's pride feels on the morrow. As such Zara merely looked at them for a moment before turning and striding back to the citadel. She needed a bath, she needed food and drink, and most importantly she needed rest.

Moving throughout the city she could see the devastation of the day. Even more buildings were damaged. The outer walls were pockmarked and on two towers there was damage to the interiors. The worse part was of course the bodies. All together, Imperial and Foe, there had been a few thousand dead and several thousand wounded. This was not counting civilians. Even through the Imperials did not need to treat enemy wounded. For most were killed by Imperial troops as they roamed the battlefield collecting their own wounded. There was ceaseless moans of pain and groans of agony. Even with House Ledaal's preparations various stores of medicines would be temporarily exhausted Not all would heal, there would be those who would be maimed, a few unlucky or lucky ones crippled for life, there was only so much which could be done between conventional and magical means. This was not the Imperial City. This was not an Imperial hospital in a barracks of a main Legion base. This was what could be done in the field.

Zara watched as one soldier wound wrappings over a comrades hand. Another did the same to the stump of a wounded civilian's right leg. Taking off below the knee by a bouncing artillery shot that had crashed through a tavern building. Luckily, he had the crushed parts amputated and the bleeding staunched before death took him. A hiss sounded. Zara glanced to see a man with the symbols of House Vai field apothecarion on his clothing bearing a hot lance. Cauterize the stump.

Moving through the streets with her guard she ascended the stairs and ramps leading to the citadel. Making her way inside as a cold wind snapped at her ears. Upon entrance she made for her quarters. Handmaidens already ferrying buckets of boiled water to the bath. She did not need aid in removing her armor. In truth she preferred to do it herself despite it taking longer to do so. Undoing the straps pulling off the layers of battle gear. Setting them to rest delicately on the panoply off to the side. She would have a page boy clean them later.

Zara looked at herself. Her womanhood, her face, her hair. All revealed in the tall mirror in her quarters. Before silently turning and sliding into the warm waters of the bath. She would have to break from Lethlinburg in pursuit of The Bull's army soon. This was her chance to take the initiative before they received reinforcements. Perhaps, if she could win a large enough victory, she'd be able to lay siege to Castle Breton as a vital lynchpin.
Resident Fox lover
If you don't hear from me for a while...I'm inna woods.
NS' Unofficial Adult Actress.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:09 pm

Woodstovia wrote:Aerion Brightwater

The faintest hint of discomfort flickered past Aerion's face. He had not expected there to be so many here, he had only come to reprimand his brother and corral some of his underlings back to his camp. Malice was not the sort of mount rode within polite company and appearances were everything here. But Aerion's discomfort was quickly replaced by his lord's face. If he was not expecting them to be here it made no difference, they would all see his house's power and prestige, and his own might. Let them not think of me as polite company so long as they cower in fear at my presence. He thought. Malice reared up and growled and Aerion made little effort in stopping her.

Aerion frowned as he heard the lackey beside Lucien open his mouth and wag his tongue. He heard the words but his mind was more focused on the hand the man placed upon his sword hilt and the dark gleam in his eyes. This was a man who enjoyed violence and bullying like the boys at the academy Aerion understood immediately, his ears pricking up at the man's insults and challenges. A brazen one, a mere general trying to insult a lord. Aerion suppressed his urge to immediately run the man down and cut off his tongue, though the image of his lance driving through the idiot's heart and caking itself in his blood filled Aerion's mind and he had to admit it was a tempting prospect.

Aerion's eyes flitted to his own retainers, there were 5, not including the handful of soldiers Lucien had corralled into doing peasant work, nor Lucien himself. Their hands were also touching the hilts of swords or lances. He had kept his heaviest cavalry away from the fighting and they were thirsty for blood. But they were too few. House Ledaal soldiers surrounded them and their lord was close, he could no doubt call upon even more men to join them. Priests and Monks with no idea how to hold a sword or shield. Every House Brightwater man was worth 5 Ledaal's and Aerion 500 but fighting a civil war inside a besieged city was not a particularly good idea for the war effort. Aerion may have loathed these men but suffering through their insults was a better fate than whatever The Bull had in store for him and his men. And he would win no glories if he did not win a victory here.

He raised a hand for calm and finally spoke, though his eyes went past Shun Yue or whatever his name was. He was not worth Aerion's sight. Instead, his eyes looked past to his lord as he spoke. "You may be Lucien's equal, but that means I am your superior. You do not command my men, nor does my dear brother outside of combat. If your situation is so dire I would think it best to let your men rest and recuperate rather than engage in peasant work. Or perhaps the soldiers of House Ledaal are not warriors at all, but builders and bean counters." that drew laughter from his men but Aerion's face showed no hint of amusement. "These are my men to command and I command them to return to their posts. I assume you mispronounced my title as "sir" and not "Lord", for I cut the tongues of men who forget my titles. See to it that you do not misspeak again." Aerion turned Malice around and began to bid a retreat.

Eugeni - Love and Honor

Eugeni could tell that Aerion was on the verge of attacking Shan Yui. He had that killing intent in his eyes, and that Clawed One looked dangerous enough to shred the seasoned general, even if he was a powerful warrior. Slowly the Ledaal Noble raised his fans, only to see that the Brightwater lord decided not to attack. He kept his fans raised, however, if only to show Aerion the blood he had spilled. His heart pounded in his chest, and his eyes burned angrily. The man did not even face the general who had fought alongside everyone else, commanding his own army. He moved forward as the detestable noble made jokes at his House's expense, trying to keep his composure.

"My men fought and covered themselves in the Bull's blood. I fought among them. My general's blood-stained armor is proof of the work he has done for the Imperial Realm. Lady Vai attacked an airship and killed several of the Bull's Army. Your own general and your men fought, and where were you? Sitting like a pampered child in a tent, while you have the audacity to mock my men. General Yui has participated in a week of fighting, and you cower among your cushioned tents, afraid to look death in the eyes. You will not speak to my general as if he is a slave, and you will not address my men in such a manner in my presence!"

Shan Yui himself had been about to speak, but when Eugeni stepped forward and spoke, he turned and listened with shock. The Ledaal Noble spoke with barely restrained hatred, but also with all of the politeness of someone speaking in the war room. The bloodied hand-fans added to the effect, which made some of the lower-ranking Ledaal soldiers shudder. Captain Lang only nodded, however, as if he had been waiting for the kindly noble to finally snap. Shi could only stand near and watch.

"Talk about my general, or any of my men in such a manner, and threaten to harm my men in any way, shape, or form, and I will make sure that your punishment is severe and thorough. House Ledaal will not accept such an insult!" With grace in his step, he whirled to turn and see Zara. However, she had turned to move away in a hurry, and some had almost noticed that she seemed quite bothered. Given that he had not seen many wounds on her, he could only guess that she had her own House's matters to attend. He sighed, and continued to order his men to their duties. They were revitalized by their Lord's fierce praise and defense, and worked harder as the evening stretched over the sky. In the meantime, Eugeni turned back to Silisia, checking to see if she had left or remained near him.

Gregor and Daana - Throwing Gasoline

Daana almost enjoyed the drama more than his Lord. Aerion was the drunken little brat who had screamed about tying Lady Zara to the bed, who had been carried back to his castle by the very soldiers he lambasted for being his inferiors in ranking. He was surprised that nobody had decided to leave him in a ditch, but stability under a cruel leader was sometimes better than no leader. Even so, he enjoyed seeing the young man receive a thorough tongue-lashing first from Shan Yui and then from Lord Eugeni. Shan was a soldier used to rough banter and harsh words, but the gentle scion was not one to throw threats or insults. He could see the delight on the Ledaal soldiers' faces as they watched their lord defend them. He leaned over and smirked at Gregor. "Hmmmm the little medic is becoming a man, isn't he?"

"He already was one. I hope now he'll only cement that fact in the little mayfly's small brain," Gregor murmured. His growling voice leaked pride in his former student, now a man who had proven he did not need anyone to hold his hand. Mahajan's soldiers were more morose than Ledaal's at the moment, but even they nodded and respected the change in attitude. Their lord turned to them with knowing in his eyes and smiled. "It seems the conflict is over, now. Back to work, and I shall address our progress soon," he ordered. He then turned to stare at the back of the Ledaal Noble, draped in turquoise and crimson. Eugeni was indeed a man, and a proper general who knew the value of defending his own. He nodded with approval, before he turned to help his men with the menial work.
-Alan Jackson

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:08 pm

Aerion Brightwater

Aerion’s face grew red at the audacity of the man’s tirade. His men grew silent and a few moved their hands back again to their blades. His brain even told him that a few snickered at their lord but when Aerion turned his head and scanned his eyes over them the noise, whatever it had been, stopped. He turned back again to the general, his face still red and his fat lips twisted into a sneer.

“What sort of a general are you? Do you truly favour valour and bravery or just stupidity? Lady Vai fought to be sure, but only when an aircraft crashed beside her quarters! Up until then would you say she was cowering like a pampered child?” He laughed. “I would like to hear you call her that yourself my lord.”

“True generals don’t just throw themselves into the battlefield carelessly! I was sitting in the reserve with my heaviest cavalry, waiting to turn the tide if The Bull fully committed himself to the assault. But he didn’t, and so I did not commit myself and let my most powerful forces be destroyed. For a man such as yourself to be so lacking in knowledge of warfare is frightening. You can swear yourself into my service if you’d prefer.”

The sneer had twisted back into a smirk by now, his spirits lifted by insulting the man. But when he looked back his men did not look similarly amused and Aerion felt his fire rise again.

“If you think me so cowardly then fine! On the morrow, Lucien will be given command of the heavy cav and I will show you the true power of Hours Brightwater!” at his words a fox made of flames suddenly flared into existence between them. Aerion looked slightly embarrassed it had come not at his bidding and ushered it away from Eugeni.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:18 pm

Aerion’s face grew red at the audacity of the man’s tirade. His men grew silent and a few moved their hands back again to their blades. His brain even told him that a few snickered at their lord but when Aerion turned his head and scanned his eyes over them the noise, whatever it had been, stopped. He turned back again to the general, his face still red and his fat lips twisted into a sneer.

“What sort of a general are you? Do you truly favour valour and bravery or just stupidity? Lady Vai fought to be sure, but only when an aircraft crashed beside her quarters! Up until then would you say she was cowering like a pampered child?” He laughed. “I would like to hear you call her that yourself my lord.”

“True generals don’t just throw themselves into the battlefield carelessly! I was sitting in the reserve with my heaviest cavalry, waiting to turn the tide if The Bull fully committed himself to the assault. But he didn’t, and so I did not commit myself and let my most powerful forces be destroyed. For a man such as yourself to be so lacking in knowledge of warfare is frightening. You can swear yourself into my service if you’d prefer.”

The sneer had twisted back into a smirk by now, his spirits lifted by insulting the man. But when he looked back his men did not look similarly amused and Aerion felt his fire rise again.

“If you think me so cowardly then fine! On the morrow, Lucien will be given command of the heavy cav and I will show you the true power of Hours Brightwater!” at his words a fox made of flames suddenly flared into existence between them. Aerion looked slightly embarrassed it had come not at his bidding and ushered it away from Eugeni.

Gregor - Don't Threaten Me With a Good Time

The argument between Aerion and Eugeni would have almost been laughable, if it had not happened right after a major battle. The Brightwater Noble had been shaken by the latter's comments, but he hid his shock behind a thin veneer of bluster. He knew that he was surrounded by experienced soldiers, and his men had their hands on their own swords. Gregor, on the other hand, stood with a blasé expression, waiting for Aerion to simply go away and to accept his loss. When he would not, he decided to step forward before the Brightwater Noble got into a fight.

"Oh I'm very sure you were preparing for a fight, Lord Brightwater. After all, isn't a war the best way to nurse a terrible hangover?" The Mahajan Noble gave the slightest flicker of a grin as his own men found humor in the sudden joke at Aerion's expense. Dana had no issues laughing - he had seen the scene that had unfolded in the streets during the previous night. His hyena laugh rang in the air, causing a couple of other soldiers to almost flinch. "And given that Lady Vai was once my student, who could and would slit your throat in your sleep if you so much as touched her the wrong way, I should say that war is a much better way to compensate for something missing."

Daana and his men continued to laugh uproariously, perhaps a laugh that was needed for the exhausted soldiers. Even Navid found himself laughing as the other general began to direct traffic again. Gregor gave them a look that insinuated they need not waste time, but they did not flinch as they moved back to their grim work. He gave his fellow general a questioning look as he walked past with a snicker, humming to himself. He knew for certain that he would be drunk later.

Turning back to Aerion with a bored expression, he gave the slightest tsk sound to indicate his lack of interest. "Remember not to cross the wrong people while you're here, boy. Even in a frozen city like Lethlinberg, it's quite easy to be burned." He nodded toward the massive wreckage he had caused to the Bull's Army outside of the Southern Gate. Aerion would see that the damage had stretched for at least a mile, with enormous amounts of the road in the district reduced to a black char. All Gregor's own work. Without much more ado, he shot Eugeni a knowing look before moving away with his men.

Eugeni - Shots Fired

When Eugeni had first killed the soldier that had taken advantage of his kindness, his blood had run cold and his hands had become numb. He had even forgotten he was moving his own body. Yet as Aerion had made such dishonorable comments toward him about Lady Vai being a coward and even having him swear fealty to House Brightwater, he had felt a different sort of anger. Rage. His normally-calm blood had begun to boil like a pot of stew left unchecked, and he felt as if he might act in a rash manner. Yet before he could speak, Gregor had decided to answer to avoid a fight. While the younger Noble had not been aware of Aerion's actions the previous night, he was not surprised that Gregor would make such comments. House Mahajan's men were far rowdier than his own, and had laughed mightily at their main general's comments. In the meantime, Shan Yui had stood shocked at the sudden change of mood, not sure whether or not he should take his hand off his sword.

Aerion summoning the fox snapped the tightrope all sides had been walking in this scuffle, and the Ledaal general's eyes became sharp and cold as he saw the fox appear to snarl at Eugeni. Even if the Noble had not intended to muster it forth, his other comments about making Eugeni submit himself had enraged the calm and collected general.

However, his lord approached as he saw that he was about to draw his sword. He put a hand on his shoulder, and gave him a sweet smile. He then turned to the Brightwater Noble. "I will not submit to any House except for House Ledaal, and I will not tolerate such childish talk in the future. Should you wish to make such comments again, you may make them toward me yourself, without the defense of your men who have fought bravely in your stead. Now I bid you a good evening, and your men a good rest." He spoke firmly, having taken a few moments to calm himself. He was still squeezing Shan Yui's shoulder, at least until he managed to turn away to guide his men and Silisia back to their work.

Shi stood watching from the sidelines as Eugeni walked away from the confrontation. Lang stood next to him and snickered. "At least one of them is leaving with their dignity intact," he murmured. Shi gave him an expression that told him not to speak loudly, as Aerion was not too far away. However, work continued as usual, as Shan Yui called orders to the Ledaal soldiers and called their focus back to the recovery efforts. Nobody knew when the Bull would be back, and all the time they had now was precious. Thus Eugeni's cousin put away the dagger he had clenched in his pocket and began to walk after the gentle Noble.
-Alan Jackson

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:06 pm

Aerion Brightwater

Aerion piqued an eyebrow. He did not understand most of Gregor's insults or comments. But he understood one thing clearly: the laughter of the House Mahajan Men. All weaklings, House Mahajan was tiny, weak, poor and foreign. he had no doubt that they would shatter at the first charge of House Brightwater men, drilled in the ways of war of the Blessed Isles, and veterans of border disputes with House Emberton.

While the hyena-like cackling of the Mahajan men rang out into the night their lord began making a hasty retreat, running back through the city accompanied by what remained of his "men". Aerion sighed, knowing the weakling would never be willing to actually fight one of his betters but hoping for the contest all the same. He moved his hand away from his weapon, he had half a thought to ride him down but he would let the idiot retreat for now. His mind began toying with ways to get back at him during the next battle when the Ledaals piped back up.

Aerion did not seem to hear the man's words, still looking beyond him as if he didn't deserve his attention. "Tell your lacky that the next time he calls me boy will be the last time he has a tongue." he sneered. "The next time you call me childish will be the same." He knew that was what they all thought of him. The youngest son, a noble at only 19 and of a once Great House. He could feel fire pumping through his veins and a ripping feeling at the back of his skull. It wasn't his fault he had been born an Exalted and the stupid peasant bitch his father had married couldn't carry on his good genes. He hadn't chosen to be a lord.

He felt tears well in the corners of his eyes but quickly whipped around Malice so quickly none could see as he led his men back towards their camp, fox standards gleaming as they rode. Perhaps he could smuggle a message out to The Bull somehow? He considered. We'll see how he calls me boy when I'm drinking wine from his skull.
Last edited by Woodstovia on Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:26 pm

Aerion piqued an eyebrow. He did not understand most of Gregor's insults or comments. But he understood one thing clearly: the laughter of the House Mahajan Men. All weaklings, House Mahajan was tiny, weak, poor and foreign. he had no doubt that they would shatter at the first charge of House Brightwater men, drilled in the ways of war of the Blessed Isles, and veterans of border disputes with House Emberton.

While the hyena-like cackling of the Mahajan men rang out into the night their lord began making a hasty retreat, running back through the city accompanied by what remained of his "men". Aerion sighed, knowing the weakling would never be willing to actually fight one of his betters but hoping for the contest all the same. He moved his hand away from his weapon, he had half a thought to ride him down but he would let the idiot retreat for now. His mind began toying with ways to get back at him during the next battle when the Ledaals piped back up.

Aerion did not seem to hear the man's words, still looking beyond him as if he didn't deserve his attention. "Tell your lacky that the next time he calls me boy will be the last time he has a tongue." he sneered. "The next time you call me childish will be the same." He knew that was what they all thought of him. The youngest son, a noble at only 19 and of a once Great House. He could feel fire pumping through his veins and a ripping feeling at the back of his skull. It wasn't his fault he had been born an Exalted and the stupid peasant bitch his father had married couldn't carry on his good genes. He hadn't chosen to be a lord.

He felt tears well in the corners of his eyes but quickly whipped around Malice so quickly none could see as he led his men back towards their camp, fox standards gleaming as they rode. Perhaps he could smuggle a message out to The Bull somehow? He considered. We'll see how he calls me boy when I'm drinking wine from his skull.

House Ledaal - Foxes and Hounds

Shan Yui was still balling and unballing his fists as he walked away alongside Eugeni. He did not turn to talk to Aerion again, as he saw no point in trying to talk down an insolent young Noble. Even so, his declarations of superiority could have very well become declarations of war, especially when he had talked about making the Ledaal Noble submit to him. He had wished that Eugeni had said he would inform Lady Ledaal of his statement. If this young man heard from the head of his House, surely she would train his tongue to remain silent, he thought. Yet the seasoned general knew better than to nurse a vindictive grudge on anyone other than the enemy, and he took deep breaths as he moved through the Eastern District with his Lord.

"Shhhhhh...that's better..." Eugeni whispered, as he stood next to him among the damage. "Now...let's finish this afternoon and then get our rest, hm?..."

"...My Lord...ah..."

"Hm?" Eugeni gazed up at him, and then felt something dripping on his foot. He looked down. His robes underneath his armor were soaked with blood, and the ichor that had run down the pleats of his hand-fans had dripped onto his boots. "...Oh dear...I look rather unsightly, don't I?..." He turned to smile up at Shan Yui, but with a haunted glint in his eyes. He knew what faces were awaiting him in his nightmares tonight. He could only ignore his humanity for so long, only fueled by rage against an enemy and a love for his realm. Despite his fear, however, he kept his voice from shaking. He knew that they would be able to talk about these things better in private.

"...Thank you. For speaking for me..." Shan Yui's eyes flickered to Silisia, as he wanted to say more but not in front of others. He gave the young woman a respectful nod and looked over her own bloodstained clothing. "I apologize. If you need anything with my Lord, I do not wish to keep you. I shall see what Lang and Shi need from me," he spoke to her. Knowing that she had taken part in combat, and Eugeni himself had healed her, he knew better than to condescend her. She was a warrior, unafraid of battle and death. With those last words, he then turned and let his raven-hair float behind him like a cape, as he walked to find Shi.

The Ledaal scion watched him walk away for a few moments, noting how he had straightened his shoulders after walking with him. Anger had curled him inward, and now duty had returned him to his normal stature. He smiled toward his back, though he became flustered when he saw Captain Lang smirking at him. He raised his eyebrows, and was answered with a flirty wink...only for Shan Yui to lightly tap his shoulder a second later. Eugeni giggled, and then turned back to Silisia. "Yes, do you need anything else from me? Oh...I never got your name! My apologies. If I may know who you are, perhaps I can inform your general of how well you have fought," he answered, giving her a kind smile.
-Alan Jackson

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:05 pm

Silisia

Silisia let out a low breath that she didn’t even realize she had been holding, the tension from the two lord being at each others throats almost unbearable. If they had come to blows she didn’t know if she could had stayed uninvolved, and if she couldn’t then she would have assuredly died. So when Eugeni spoke to her almost directly after seeing off the other Lord, she flinched. It was an unconscious and unwanted movement which she immediately regretted, but her body reacted to the young mans sudden turn towards her.

She tried to hide the flinch as she vowed her head respectfully towards him and started to speak, meaning to answer his question without breaking her voice what so ever. “Ah yes My Lord. I apologize for not speaking it earlier. My name is Silisia Lancast, a soldier for House Vai. I hope I was not in the your way today my lord, and I thank you for healing me!” She said, making her tone urgent yet respectful. She did not want to insult this young man who could most likely kill her with minimal effort, nevermind that a whole personal guard who wouldn’t hesitate to do exactly that upon his order stood around her.

The past few hours had gone by in a blur for Silisia, not just the fight on the walls but being healed and then forced to run around with this energetic young lord. It had taken a tole on her and she had been running on fumes and adreneline, one of which chose to stop at that moment. Her legs turning into jelly as she wobbled, throwing out her arms to either side to try and catch her balance and avoid a fall. She just barely managed to do so and she once again looked at the young exalted lord, now red in the face.

“I’m sorry my lord, I meant no disrespect,” She said, as she mimicked a mix between a bow and a courtesy, not sure which was right in her exaustion.
Lover of doggos

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:20 pm

Revlona wrote:Silisia

Silisia let out a low breath that she didn’t even realize she had been holding, the tension from the two lord being at each others throats almost unbearable. If they had come to blows she didn’t know if she could had stayed uninvolved, and if she couldn’t then she would have assuredly died. So when Eugeni spoke to her almost directly after seeing off the other Lord, she flinched. It was an unconscious and unwanted movement which she immediately regretted, but her body reacted to the young mans sudden turn towards her.

She tried to hide the flinch as she vowed her head respectfully towards him and started to speak, meaning to answer his question without breaking her voice what so ever. “Ah yes My Lord. I apologize for not speaking it earlier. My name is Silisia Lancast, a soldier for House Vai. I hope I was not in the your way today my lord, and I thank you for healing me!” She said, making her tone urgent yet respectful. She did not want to insult this young man who could most likely kill her with minimal effort, nevermind that a whole personal guard who wouldn’t hesitate to do exactly that upon his order stood around her.

The past few hours had gone by in a blur for Silisia, not just the fight on the walls but being healed and then forced to run around with this energetic young lord. It had taken a tole on her and she had been running on fumes and adreneline, one of which chose to stop at that moment. Her legs turning into jelly as she wobbled, throwing out her arms to either side to try and catch her balance and avoid a fall. She just barely managed to do so and she once again looked at the young exalted lord, now red in the face.

“I’m sorry my lord, I meant no disrespect,” She said, as she mimicked a mix between a bow and a courtesy, not sure which was right in her exaustion.

Eugeni - Friends and Foes and Pretty Girls

Eugeni saw how Silisia had flinched when he had turned to face her. He wondered if perhaps his appearance was frightening. He had also yelled at another lord, showing a fiercer side to his personality. Yet around others he never intended disrespect or impoliteness. He pat her shoulder and continued to smile kindly.

“Silisia? That’s a very pleasant name. If you are a member of House Vai, then I shall let Lady Zara know how well you have fought for her. I heard wonderful things about your prowess. Good soldiers should be rewarded for their service,” he explained. He stopped himself, however, as he noticed that she looked exhausted. Her balance was off, and she almost stumbled right into his arms. “Oh!”

After a moment of awkwardness, he helped her to stand. The poor girl’s face was red as a tomato. “Of course you did not mean disrespect. You’re tired, as many of us are. If you need further assistance, we have plenty of Clerics who can look to your wounds, myself included. You need not push yourself beyond your limits when you have helped with the lion’s share of the work. Unlike some.” He gave a slight nod in the direction of Aerion’s camp.

“If you need a hot meal before you attend to other duties, the bars in the Western District should have some stew available. Let them know that Lord Ledaal said you should have a large bowl of stew and fresh bread. It should be hot - they’re expecting a large crowd, and House Mahajan I’m sure eats heavily. There’s also the sauna and the hot baths in the Western District’s inn. Though...I would suggest not bathing while Mahajan is also around. So now would be a good time.”

He gave her a wink, and turned his head to hear Captain Lang making teasing comments toward Shan Yui in the distance. “I apologize. I need to make sure my men are working, and not playing around. I shall see you soon?”
-Alan Jackson

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:46 pm

Daybreak
Five Days after the Siege of Lethlinberg

On the fifth morning since the withdrawal of the Far Northmen army from the vicinity of Lethlinburg, the Imperial forces present received marching orders. They would make for Pforz. Astride the North-Eastern shore of the River Nerei's sharp curved bend from North-East to South-East. It held a vital fording point along the river, which was deep and narrow, and thus the ice was generally quite weak, to cross from one side to the other. Securing it would hopefully keep the enemy on the other side of the river so that the Imperials could reorder the region and marshal its remaining people in the wake of this invasion. As such the Imperial troops of the various Houses were marshalled at dawn for the march. Led by the banners of House Vai as the long snaking column left the city. The remaining Ducal garrison in their green and orange tunics would man the city, under the command of Sir Jahque of House Leithrel. A vassal of the missing Duke of Lethlinheim.

Zara Azairya Vai

Zara had wrote the Duke off as dead or otherwise incapacitated. He could be captured for all she knew. Pushing the probability of these events aside she watched passively as the army, the colorful banners and pennants of the various houses, marching out of the city and to the East. Along the Easterly Road that in truth followed such cardinal direction only loosely. For it will bend Northerly before swinging, as if following the River Nerei's own course, to the South-East. Vai banners, Ledaal, Cathak, Cynis, Mnemon, and so forth as minor houses led their own columns. It was if a grand procession like earlier in the year to celebrate the beginning of yet another regnal year for the glorious Scarlet Empress.

Shifting in her saddle, padding, armor, and cloak helping her keep warm. She glanced to the North. The clouds had parted and warm sunshine bathed the white landscape in its radiance. Spring was weeks away and the North, the further away you got from the coast, had longer winters. But, anything above freezing was welcome and with the retreat of enemy forces she could hope for a decisive campaigning season. So she watched, pondered, and planned her next move. Inevitably, she would prefer to recapture Castle Breton as early as possible. Its formidable edifice and command of the main mountain pass into the Imperial territories South of it would provide a critical bottleneck for any attempts from the Bull's expanding domains to press further into the Empire's satrapies.

As such, she knickered her steed and pulled up along the Mahajan and Ledaal columns. "General Gregor. How fast can you get to the river Nerei, if I cut you loose?" A wry smirk wound on her lips.
Resident Fox lover

Antimersia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 04, 2020
Father Knows Best State

Postby Antimersia » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:19 pm

Medi Munkii and Azrellia

I was three days after the siege before either Medi or Azrellia woke up again. Thankfully it was Medi who woke up first. The shock of her new surroundings was quite a lot for Azrellia to take in at first. And the stories of the siege did nothing to quell her building nerves.

"I'm sorry I was a burden. I always want so much to help my friends." Azrellia said solemnly.

"Don't be sorry! That's what friends are for! You can't always be there, so you have to let me be there for you sometimes too." Medi replied with his usual ear to ear grin. Words that made Azrellia smile widely herself, her smokey face turning lighter and blushing. "C'mon! I have someone I want you to meet!" Medi said, pulling his spirit friend out of the cot and running off with her to have her meet Lord Gregor.

2 day later, marching north

Medi's snores roared loudly out of his mouth as he sat, slumped forward against the back of his horse, riding along not far behind Lord Gregor. Azrellia manned the reigns of the horse they rode together, herself more alert and focused on the march ahead. She had expressed her concerns to Medi the night before. The idea of warring was not pleasant to her. But Medi's argument that their men's help in saving their lives is something that should be paid back. That thought only served to bring her back to that fateful day on the ship. Her memory was hazy, but she remembered the presence of another spirit. And an angry one at that. She is thankful that they both survived. And so she begrudgingly tags along in this march. More so to keep Medi safe than to aid these humans in their war.

She pays close attention to the conversation between Lady Zara and Lord Gregor. Azrellia finds Zara to be rather intimidating. Although Zara does not concern her much at all compared to the glares and odd looks she gets from some of the soldiers. Many of whom no doubt have never seen a spirit in person before. And seeing a being made of anthropomorphised smoke is no doubt an odd sight for the average person. Medi himself would have likely been thrown off by it if he could see. She has to shake off her thoughts, but manages to refocus in time to hear the remainder of the discussion between Lord Gregor and Lady Zara, believing that Medi should have this information as well, once he wakes up of course.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:15 am

The Night of the Previous Battle

Eugeni and House Ledaal

Rubble was gathered. Unidentifiable bodies were taken outside of the city to be burned. Mostly Mahajan soldiers stood witness, but closer to the gates stood Eugeni, gazing at the makeshift cremation. The Ledaal scion’s thin form was still dressed in his bloodied armor, and draped in a blood-stained cloak. The icy chill that fell over the land made his teeth clatter, and the blood on his clothing was heavy. Yet he felt a need to pray for the dead. Perhaps Mela would grant them peace, in a world in which the Bull’s Army and the Imperial Army did not need to fight anymore.

When the bodies had burned and the awful scent had left the air, the Ledaal prince turned around and walked back to the inn where his soldiers were staying. Another speech to his men, another exhausted dinner. Maybe this time I’ll have a drink. I think I need one, he thought.

Someone put a hand on his shoulder as he began to walk away. He shuddered and turned, wondering who from the crowd would want his attention. A familiar bald-headed man with an impish grin met his gaze, and Eugeni had to wonder what was the occasion at this time. “...General Daana?” he inquired.

“Ey, squirt, you did a brilliant job today! Saw you slice and dice those beasts, and then you mocked that little kid from Brightwater? I’ve been meaning to find you and talk, so tomorrow I need you to come find me, I got something for you. Well...I have two somethings. A small one...and another small one. Here.” Daana opened his hand and showed an item to Eugeni. A beautiful comb, gold and shaped to resemble a wreath of laurels.

Eugeni gasped. He had lived a life of luxury, and had no problems finding whatever hairpieces and bobbles he liked, but he never would have expected a big, burly man like Daana to pay attention to such a thing. “...It’s...quite beautiful...”

“Yeah, I saw you...lost your hairpiece from this morning, eh?” Daana pointed to his shiny dome with a smirk. “I can’t wear it, and Gregor would kill me if I stuck it in his hair, so keep it. Or give it to a pretty honey you find, probably was a kid’s memento from home. I had to grab it out the pile before Gregor blazed it.”

A cold pause fell over the two men. Eugeni loved hairpieces, that much was true. Yet he could only imagine the young woman who had once worn this clip, who had given it to her beloved with the hopes of his safe return. He wondered how long that soldier had gazed at this beautiful comb, thinking of his lover at home and praying that he would be safe. Who killed him? Gregor? Shi? Zara?

Himself?

“...Lord Ledaal?”

“Ah!” Eugeni came back to his senses as Daana stuck the comb in his hair. He was a bit rough, and the Ledaal Noble hoped he had not poked holes in the side of his head.

“Nice and tight. You’ve gotta accept your victories when they come, Lord Ledaal. The ladies love seeing a man with a laurel crown. Though...Gregor was the one who told me you might like it. And I get a good feeling one of your generals probably will like it too.” He gave another joking wink, laughing as the younger man’s face became redder than the setting sun. “Or that little lady who followed you around might like it! She was quite cute, huh? Stood up to Gregor too, think she’s a lil pepper. But I’ll stop before you permanently turn red. You go get your rest.” With a hard pat on the shoulder, Daana chuckled and turned back to order the Mahajan troops back to their camp.

With a yawn, Eugeni realized that the Mahajan general had been right. He needed his rest. Yet for a split moment his eyes scanned the crowd for Gregor. Even in the darkness, he could spot those studious garnet eyes, and he spotted them on a figure now obscured by the dark, amorphous shadows of the trees behind him. They both stood still for a few moments, before Gregor walked along with his troops back toward the Western Gate.

The inn was welcoming and full of the heat of fresh stew and large, warm bodies moving, talking, and laughing. Eugeni’s soldiers were already relaxing, forgetting the day’s carnage. A few eyes flickered toward their Lord, and all of the Ledaal men in the room rose to their feet in a ripple of activity. The laughter and sound became silent, and their prince gazed around the room, his eyes still clouded by the gruesome battle’s events. “...At ease. All of you deserve to rest. I...hope to come relax with all of you,” he murmured. Cheers and clapped fell around him, and the Ledaal scion blushed and smiled. Eugeni then hurried toward his room to drop his bloody armor and clothing.

Fortunately, Shi came and snatched away his armor to clean it, along with his bloodied clothes. He fussed for quite a while at Eugeni about standing in the chill outside with his soiled armor, something about catching a cold. The Ledaal scion listened patiently, and gave his dear cousin a sweet smile as he finished. “...Thank you, I...I’ll go take a bath now. I think I need it. And you should rest too, dear cousin...” he suggested.

His cousin seemed a little surprised that Eugeni never flinched at him during his scolding. Then again, he had killed at least a dozen enemy-soldiers today, all with only the smallest flinch. He was learning the dark dance of death. Shi gave a quiet nod and pinched his cousin’s cheek before walking out of the room.

Eugeni took his bath, which felt like heavenly elixir flowing into his skin, muscles, and bones. He sighed mightily as he finally felt some warmth. However, he felt himself draw a pause as he looked at the golden comb he had received from Daana. ...I wonder if she knows... he pondered. He figured the comb’s owner would eventually know, when her lover did not return home with the lovely hairpiece. Perhaps...I should wear it in...her honor... Her honor? The honor his men had taken from her lover? He couldn’t say “his” honor, because he had likely killed the man.

After about a half-hour, he got out of the tub and got into a soft, cotton yakuta. It smelled fresh and not like sickly iron, and he felt lighter than a pillow. As he put on his sandals to go meet the men downstairs, he heard a knock on his door. “...Hello?”

“Eugeni.”

The Ledaal scion shuddered. Gregor had found his room, and his dark voice uttered his name from behind the door. “...Lord Gregor!...Give me a moment...” He hurried to the door to open it. Sure enough, in the doorway stood the tall Mahajan Lord, dressed in black and red robes, with a long golden dragon trailing down the back surrounded by pink magnolias. He was smoking his pipe as usual. “...H...How may I help you this evening?”

“General Daana told me you seemed shaken this afternoon. I know what I said on the battlefield today rattled you,” the Mahajan Noble explained, “and so I wanted to know that you were well.”

Eugeni took a moment to register his answer, and then he nodded. “Yes, I just took a bath, I...I was about to head downstairs...”

“And get drunk with your men? Goodness, haven’t you adapted to field-life already. Next you’ll be telling bawdy stories about sleeping with barmaids,” Gregor answered, with a bit of a grumble. He then looked into the room. “...I see the little gift Daana gave you as well?...The one I found?”

With that last statement, Eugeni felt compelled to grab the comb and to run back to the doorway. Maybe he would take it. I can’t wear it...I can’t...maybe he’ll...

Much more gently than Daana, Gregor took the comb and placed it in his hair on the right side. He also teased a couple strands of Eugeni’s hair to make them frame his round face. “...The man I took that from is dead. He died fighting us, the best he could have fought. His body? Ashes buried outside of Lethlinberg. His name and face are now known only to the gods. And you? You live, and give this item new life.”

Eugeni found himself blushing as Gregor fooled with his hair, and that blush did not vanish until he said, “The man is dead.” He felt himself gulp down tears. The day’s murders and blood had caught him alone and vulnerable again.

“...Eugeni. A rose must be trimmed in the winter so that it may bear more blooms. Apples must fall from a grown tree to be harvested. The sun must set in order for the moon to cool the waters. And that man died so that our kingdom may live. You have no reason to be ashamed to wear this crown...You are a prince.” Gregor spoke solemnly, a little less gruff than usual. As he waxed poetic terms his flow and tone became softer, as if he was aware that he had startled Eugeni earlier on the battlefield by screaming at him. “...A Noble who is helping to lead a nation into war. Now...wear this comb proudly, and come down to see your troops. They love you,” he urged the younger Noble.

Eugeni noticed that Gregor spoke the word ‘love’ almost tenderly. He had wanted to slow-cook the word over an open fire, to draw every feeling and sensation from it like the flavor of freshly-killed game. The younger Noble blushed and stood, waiting to hear if he would continue. When Gregor did not continue, however, the Ledaal Noble took his answer as a definite. His men loved him. Shan Yui loved him. “...Thank you...I...I shall go be with them then...”

If Gregor had been wanting to take some other sort of action, he seemed to rather that the Ledaal Noble went to spend time with those in his Clan. Thus he allowed him to pass. The gold comb glittered in his hair, and he had a grateful smile as he passed the older Noble. “...Remember, Eugeni...” he finally spoke, “...Even soldiers appreciate someone soft, meek, and elegant...to give a contrast to the terrors of military life. I hope you never change being kind inside. We all need merciful souls to check our violent ones.”

Eugeni turned back to face Gregor, once again a bit bashful at the compliments. Yet he saw that the man’s expression had changed. A doting gaze. Even if the older Noble was still frowning, his eyes glittered with care. Overcome by sudden emotion, the Ledaal Noble walked back to him and threw his arms around him in an embrace. Tears fell down his cheeks, and they fell with more frequency as he felt his former professor return the embrace.

Gregor was not usually an affectionate person. Yet he had sensed Eugeni’s pain and had sought to console him. “...There now...I know your heart, Eugeni...I know you can’t hide your tears forever...” he murmured. He stroked his hair close to the comb staring at the golden ornament for a moment. He wondered how many more tender moments he would be able to have, and then closed his eyes and let the thought slip his mind. The Mahajan Noble had forgotten that he also needed someone to hold at times, and he was glad to appreciate this moment in the quiet aftermath of a storm.
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun May 02, 2021 6:28 pm

Imperialisium wrote:Daybreak
Five Days after the Siege of Lethlinberg

On the fifth morning since the withdrawal of the Far Northmen army from the vicinity of Lethlinburg, the Imperial forces present received marching orders. They would make for Pforz. Astride the North-Eastern shore of the River Nerei's sharp curved bend from North-East to South-East. It held a vital fording point along the river, which was deep and narrow, and thus the ice was generally quite weak, to cross from one side to the other. Securing it would hopefully keep the enemy on the other side of the river so that the Imperials could reorder the region and marshal its remaining people in the wake of this invasion. As such the Imperial troops of the various Houses were marshalled at dawn for the march. Led by the banners of House Vai as the long snaking column left the city. The remaining Ducal garrison in their green and orange tunics would man the city, under the command of Sir Jahque of House Leithrel. A vassal of the missing Duke of Lethlinheim.

Zara Azairya Vai

Zara had wrote the Duke off as dead or otherwise incapacitated. He could be captured for all she knew. Pushing the probability of these events aside she watched passively as the army, the colorful banners and pennants of the various houses, marching out of the city and to the East. Along the Easterly Road that in truth followed such cardinal direction only loosely. For it will bend Northerly before swinging, as if following the River Nerei's own course, to the South-East. Vai banners, Ledaal, Cathak, Cynis, Mnemon, and so forth as minor houses led their own columns. It was if a grand procession like earlier in the year to celebrate the beginning of yet another regnal year for the glorious Scarlet Empress.

Shifting in her saddle, padding, armor, and cloak helping her keep warm. She glanced to the North. The clouds had parted and warm sunshine bathed the white landscape in its radiance. Spring was weeks away and the North, the further away you got from the coast, had longer winters. But, anything above freezing was welcome and with the retreat of enemy forces she could hope for a decisive campaigning season. So she watched, pondered, and planned her next move. Inevitably, she would prefer to recapture Castle Breton as early as possible. Its formidable edifice and command of the main mountain pass into the Imperial territories South of it would provide a critical bottleneck for any attempts from the Bull's expanding domains to press further into the Empire's satrapies.

As such, she knickered her steed and pulled up along the Mahajan and Ledaal columns. "General Gregor. How fast can you get to the river Nerei, if I cut you loose?" A wry smirk wound on her lips.

Eugeni and House Ledaal - Convalescence

Several days passed as the Noble Houses and their armies recovered as much as they could. The rubble slowly cleared and the roads became passable, thanks to the valiant work of several Houses and their soldiers. The hours were long and the breaks were few, but the work was worth the results. Lethlinberg needed to remain standing at any costs. They had driven the enemy from overtaking the city, even as the affair had been exhaustive. Only through burning the enemy's forces, destroying the airships, and defeating their cavalry did they manage to come through victoriously. Yet they were not done with the Bull's forces. Rumors had spread that House Vai had a plan to seize their forces and to move into Pforz.

While these plans became more concrete, however, smaller matters also filled the days of the Nobles. For Eugeni, he awakened bright and early in the second morning to go find Daana. After all, he had something he wanted to show him. He yawned, and appreciated that for once he would not be getting blood on his clothing today. He needed the rest, the ability to close his eyes tonight knowing he had not killed anyone. Today, he would perhaps even get to enjoy some time to himself. Finding Daana was not difficult, however, and he merely had to walk downstairs to see him talking to some of his men. They were all having a hearty breakfast, their legs stretched and their heads back with laughter. Eugeni wondered how they could always be so full of mirth.

"Ah! There he is! Our little general!" Daana hopped out of his chair while the other Mahajan men grinned at the Ledaal lord. Even though Eugeni was their superior, they seemed to regard him as both a Noble and a son among their ranks, as he was so inexperienced. The bald Mahajan general who had just downed some hangover concoction was no exception. "So one of the shelters is where I hid it. I'm glad it wasn't hit. I've been saving it for you, though you can't quite take it yet. It's for when we go home," he whispered.

"Ahhh...very well. If you may lead me in that direction, General?" Eugeni inquired politely. The older man was all too glad to lead the way, marching outside into the crisp, sunny morning.

The weather was changing. Even though the frost still blanketed the ground and the snow colored the world white, the sun had finally peeked through the clouds to smile down over Lethlinberg. The spring days were coming, though at their own pace. Eugeni sighed with happiness. Spring would make travel easier, and he would not lose so many men in the snow. "...Do you like the spring, General?"

"Eh. Spring is nice, sure. But summer is the best time. Hot weather makes for men ready to wrestle and sweat to keep cool, eh? Eh?" He elbowed Eugeni a few times as if he was trying to imply something. When the Ledaal Noble stared up at him with confusion, he just smirked. "Ahhh but it's also the time when everything has bloomed, the oceans look the most beautiful, people eat fruit and write poetry and fall in love...I met my wife in the summertime, you know."

"Oh, did you?"

"Oh yes, it was quite romantic. Her friends pushed my drunk self into a pond because I was being obnoxious. She thought I was handsome though, and that made-up for me looking like a prized donkey," Daana answered, finally eliciting a chuckle from Eugeni. "Ehhhh? There you go, you're laughing! You're too young to take everything so seriously. Shan Yui is an old man, let him be the serious one."

When they arrived at their destination, Daana nodded to one of the soldiers. The troop walked over, holding a small bundle in his arms. Before he even made his way toward them, Eugeni knew what was under the swaddling clothes. No loaf of bread, as he saw some squirming and kicking. When they made their way over, the Ledaal Noble's heart was in his mouth. "Ah...Daana...what is..."

"Do you wanna hold her?" The General's voice softened, as he ushered the group toward a corner of the tent.

Thankfully, Eugeni was dressed in plainclothes and was not so noticeable. Yet he did not care if anyone saw him. He could not stop shaking. He knew what would happen if he held this little child. When he had found that other little girl, he did not want to let her go. Yet before he could protest, the troop gently put the child in his arms and unwrapped the swaddling clothes just a hint.

She was a beautiful child.

Maybe almost two, not quite. She was fast asleep, dreaming. Her little face was still plump and tan, and her nose reminded him of a bear cub's nose. Her hair was long but messy, in a tangled braid that had not been fixed. When she had realized someone was holding her, she slowly opened her eyes. Almond-colored eyes that sparkled with confusion. She stared up at Eugeni, unsure of what was happening around her.

"...Hello..." Eugeni murmured, sitting down to hold her. He had forgotten about Daana and the others. This little girl was precious, and she seemed to only be interested in the kindly stranger holding her. "...My name is Eugeni...Eugeni...Ledaal." He spoke his name slowly, wondering how she would react. When she just continued to stare, he looked at her braid. He touched it for a moment, and now she reacted, cringing and pulling away. The knots in her hair looked painful. "Oh! Does your hair hurt?"

She nodded. Their first interaction.

"...Would you like for me to fix it?"

The little girl paused for a moment. She looked nervous, and her eyes flickered toward the ground. She then looked up at him, and nodded again.

"Daana, a brush and some water, please?" Eugeni finally re-acknowledged the man who had brought him to see this child. He already had a feeling why he had been called her to examine this child, but he did not want to address that now. Daana did as the Noble asked, and soon the Ledaal Noble had a full set of supplies for the child. He took his time to show her each object, in order to soothe her nerves. He showed her the brush and let her feel it. He showed her the water, and then the oil. He had his own tub of it, simple coconut oil. "...It smells quite different, doesn't it?"

She sniffed it, and nodded. Lethlinberg was not known for coconuts.

"It reminds me a little of home. And it will feel nice in your hair. Now let me see if I can fix your pretty hair..." As gently as he could, he brushed her soft, downy hair, trying to be gentle as he could feel her tense from the pull of the brush. He doused her hair in water to make the brushing easier. When he finished, he put the oil through her hair to make it smell better. "...There...it's soft and smooth...and now it doesn't hurt anymore, does it?" When the little girl turned around, she seemed to spend another moment staring at him. "...Do you have a name, sweetie?" he inquired.

She did not respond.

Eugeni sighed. Without her parents, he could not know what her name was, and obviously if Daana had come back with only the child, her parents were missing or worse. "...Would you like a name?"

The little girl took a moment again to think, and then she nodded.

"...Very well...Let me think..." He ignored the way that the soldiers were grinning nearby, as they saw Eugeni holding this tiny child. "...Parvanah?...Where I live, lots of butterflies fly around in pretty gardens full of flowers. And they're very beautiful and colorful. Would you like to see them one day?"

Another nod, but this time it came with a smile.

"...Very well. From now on, your name is Parvanah. Now...let's get you some breakfast. It's nice and early, the cooks have made all the good food," he told her. The soldiers ran to get food without pausing, and a few moments later she had a plate of eggs and some porridge, along with a soft roll of bread.

As she started to eat, Daana crouched down and looked at Eugeni. His eyes were focused on her, making sure that she ate her food, until he noticed the general. "...I'm sure you understand now what I was intending to give you, hm?...We searched all night. And...we think you'll be a good dad to her. Not to mention well...your situation?...I'm sure she'll be glad to go home with you, though...we have another plan," he murmured, as the child sat a couple of feet away.

"And what is that?"

"Well...we're in a war, keeping a child in a warzone isn't exactly safe...I'm going to ask Gregor if he can get some sort of delegation over here to bring the child home. It'll be difficult, but...I'm sure your parents will be glad to hear you got with some young lady and got a baby, eh?" He elbowed Eugeni again, causing him to chuckle, but only for a moment.

"...And...this will work?..."

"Well why wouldn't it? Nobody cares how you get kids, you just need kids. If you raise her as a Ledaal your family will finally be able to sigh their relief, and you can go visit Shan Yui whenever you-HA! I'm just kidding!" Daana gave a large laugh when he saw Eugeni's face get beet-red. Even little Parvanah looked over for a moment, as if she was scared. Thankfully, when she saw no need to be concerned, she continued to eat her bread. "...The point is, we'll make it work. I know you've been worried, and Gregor told me everything. Well, everything he knows. We're going to make sure you get to be a dad before you're forty, and that's the bottom line. And when we get home from this war, you'll be able to spend time with your new daughter."

Eugeni listened, and then looked over at Parvanah. Daughter. The word was so soft and sweet, and his heart warmed. She was so delicate and quiet, and possibly still in shock at the loss of her original parents. He had to protect her. He would protect her. With this determination in his heart, he looked at Daana. "...Thank you, General. I...I hope this indeed works...and I shall owe you whatever favor you ask, as long as I am alive," he whispered back.

"Aaaaaany offer?" Daana smirked.

"...Ah, as long as it is reasonable or honorable, sir," Eugeni replied.

Gregor - Chasing the Sun

Gregor worked closely with the other heads of the militaries to build housing for displaced citizens. Because the Bull's forces were retreating, and more people had been displaced, they needed to put together shelters for them. Luckily, the Mahajan General was good at directing traffic, and with plenty of Magic in the hands of Earth Aspects and Fire Aspects, some shelters were melded together. Meals were dispersed to hungry families as well as some makeshift cots, blankets, and supplies which could give some sense of comfort to those effected by the siege. Gregor did not think of himself as a compassionate man, but he prided himself in efficiency, and he was glad to see that, at least for a few days, the motions rolled steadily like well-oiled gears.

He himself managed to get some time resting, though only enough to remain functional. The Mahajan Noble spent his time planning to follow whatever orders Zara was putting together. She was plotting to chase down the army to Pforz, which was not a bad strategy. He had to admit that she had done well leading the armies, so far, and she had even rallied in a spectacular fashion to take down an airship. As he stood outside in the snow, watching it soften during warmer parts of the day, he knew that opportunity was glowing in the distance. Soon, they would have their big moment, their time to demoralize the Bull's Army. He laughed to himself as he smoked his pipe and saw some of the wildflowers trying to peer through the soft white. Spring was coming, and with it the growth of their empire.

He read through the maps and the strategies set by House Vai, and trained his men accordingly. He also aided Eugeni and Shi in training their troops, leading joint exercises on the fourth day with Shan Yui and Daana assisting. Shan Yui could do the job well on his own, and he performed even better with Eugeni in attendance for a short time. However, he felt that the veteran general's esteem would rise from leading joint exercises after a long period of being uncertain of himself. He could tell that this war, and the dangerousness of it, had made him anxious. Not to mention that Shan Yui was concerned about his family, and his closeness to Eugeni.

"How are your nieces and nephews doing, Shan?" Gregor approached him while leading exercises with his men.

"Oh?" Shan Yui was surprised by the sudden question, spoken casually by the usually-gruff general. "...They have been well. They are growing quite fast...One is ten and the other is eight...They have been training well...They believe the older one will Exalt soon." The general kept his eyes on Gregor's, but the latter could tell that he took effort doing so.

"...I am sure that they will be quite proud to know what you have done here. Children need strong role-models, and you are in the right place to demonstrate that."

Once again, Shan Yui was taken aback by the kind words. "...I...thank you very much, Lord Mahajan...Do you have nieces and nephews, sir?"

"Of course. Faraz's children will need a mentor once the news arrives home. Perhaps I shall...assist more in their lives. They are...a little older than your own."

"Do you desire to have children?"

Gregor's eyes had flickered away for a moment in thought, and now he turned back to Shan Yui. "...It is more of a duty than a desire. However...it is not a bad desire. Unfortunately...most women who seem to be interested in me would rather steal my wallet. Take note, Shan, a pretty face can get a man many places for some time. But when women see expensive pipes and cloaks and rings...oh, they promise they'll follow your every word forever. But...hm. I suppose that's not the sort of relationship I want." He took a smoke of his pipe and stared back toward his men.

Shan Yui nodded, as if he was taking note of his words.

Turning back toward him, Gregor gave a knowing grin. "...I get the feeling that's not the kind of relationship you'd want either, is it?"

"I...most likely not."

"Yes, it's better to have a sweet person who keeps you warm at night, isn't it?" Gregor chuckled, causing Shan Yui to blush a bit. He was not used to this familiarity with the Mahajan general, but he was someone to talk to. "Ah well. When we get home...hopefully, as the gods permit...You'll be able to spend more time focusing on how to woo someone. You're a proper gentleman, and a good general. Besides, it's springtime. Perfect for beautiful walks under cherry trees and watching sunsets...romantic things."

Shan Yui seemed to gaze at him with some confusion, before understanding came to his eyes. "...You yourself are quite the romantic, aren't you?..." A small smile came to his face.

Gregor gave him a sidelong glance and chuckled. "Tell Daana and I'll force you to drink absinthe until you forget," he murmured. Yet his words were more teasing than a threat. He seemed oddly playful, and perhaps it was the improving weather and circumstances that made his mood a little more jovial.

Yet the kind, warm moments took a back seat when the fifth day came, and travel was near. Gregor did take time to check on Medi and Azrellia before he prepared to leave, and he was surprised to see that they were back on their feet together. Medi was as sprightly as usual, and as loud as well. Yet with his improved mood, the Mahajan Noble seemed to act friendlier toward Medi. He was a strange individual, but he did not mean any harm. He had also been helpful against the siege of Lethlinberg, and he looked forward to bringing him along with his army. Even if he was blind, he did not let it take from his resourcefulness, and Gregor valued determination almost more than anything else.

As they road out the gates of Lethlinberg, the Mahajan general looked back toward the city. Eugeni was staying within the city this time, and Shan Yui would lead Ledaal's forces. Shi was leaving as well, in order to give Exalted firepower. Eugeni did not like staying behind, but he needed to help with the recovery and health of the people. Gregor was not afraid, but he did find Eugeni in the morning and had embraced him before leaving. "Take care of them. Your people need you here...A kind heart to melt their fears of the winter," he had whispered. With the younger Lord taking his words to heart, their eyes met for a few moments before the garnet-colored eyes turned toward the vast, snowy trail ahead.

Everyone now rode toward Pforz, a journey that was easier due to the melting snow. If only spring would come faster. Yet they had to take advantage of what snow they had, in order to catch the Bull's Army. This double-edged sword made Gregor think as they rode forward, and he almost did not noticed Lady Zara coming to see him. As her horse came to a trot beside him, his eyes flickered toward her and he almost looked surprised. "...The river Nerei?" He thought for a moment about the distance. "...You would want me to bring my men or to simply go alone?"
-Alan Jackson

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Mon May 31, 2021 5:46 pm

Zara Azairya Vai

Zara smiled at the remark from Lord Gregor. It was obvious that he should bring his men. He was a capable man, but not so much as to do something like this alone. She rolled her eyes back to him, "Bring your men." At that she trotted forward along the column. Past Azrellia and her blind companion. Making for the front of the army were the vanguard was led by the contingent from House Cathak. Coming up alongside Rymaris Cathak, who had been charged to lead his House's contributions to the effort, the wizened man with fiery red hair ever so slightly supplemented with streaks of silver did not spare Zara a glance. Though his voice was welcoming, "It is good to finally be on the attack. Is it not?"

"That it is, and when this campaign is finished we shall toast to the journey," responded Zara.

"A touch optimistic?"

"Its all we have currently."

Rymaris chuckled at that quick patch for a comment, "That it is. If we can take Castle Breton back, we stand to have secured Imperial territory from invasion. Undoing all of our foes gains. But what if the Bull himself comes?"

Zara looked off into the distance. The Bull was Anathema. A Solar Exalt and one who was not an amateur to his powers. If he were to come in person it would certainly be a bloody affair. Exhaling slowly she chose her words carefully. "If he should come for us himself. Then it best we give a good accounting for ourselves." Rymaris could not help but nod in agreement.

Behind them the army marched on.
Resident Fox lover

Parcia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 11, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Parcia » Mon May 31, 2021 6:17 pm

The Army on the march.

And a good accounting of them selves they would give, or at least attempt to.

Arthur marched with his men, choosing really to only mount his horse when needed and as he marched, he conferred with his top officers about their plan of action. There was a buzz about the men and it wasn't hard to figure out why. Soon enough they would be in the southern reaches of Bretoni territory and there was really only one real reason to move in to the homeland: Chateau Le Breton, the Northern Fortress.

Built of mined blue granite and sat upon a plateau along a wind swept, barren field that was mostly snow in the winter. Sat nearly 300 feet in to the sky, the plateau's edge was a near sheer vertical cliff face, mined out for the construction of the fortress city and swept smooth over the centuries of harsh winter winds, and summer rains.

Along the southern ridge lay a winding, sloping ramp and trail that was wide enough for 4 ox driven carts across and flanked on each side by curtain walls several feet thick and several dozen feet high, with more then 25 towers placed along side fortified gate houses, of with their were 6 of along the path towards the heart of the city, and 3 larger towers melded together in to the great spire of the city, the ancient "Blue tower".

With several districts, ranging from the poor Peasant's quarter, to the merchant's boulevard, to the Royals Quarter, the Knightly Quarter and its Monastery-Keep home to the ancient order of Bretonic knights, to the even more ancient Lord's keep upon its own small hill at the center of the city, with its own ring of walls made of quarried stone bleached white with nearly 900 years of sunlight.

If the modern Bretoni were known as the North's Blacksmiths, the Ancient Bretoni were surely its most renown builders. Its wall's, how ever, were not it's only defenses. The City's Defensive artillery battery had been heavily refitted and modernized with the reign of Tyrelious Breton, or as he was more well known to the southerners, Tyrel "The Mad" Breton with the purchase of several Lightning Balistae batteries from the House Tepet in exchange for House Breton's servitude as a vassal state.

This sat along the top of the Blue Tower, giving the city rather heavy weight anti-aircraft defense from airships. The walls were ringed with smaller mounted crossbows, standard ballista, repeating crossbows and several mobile Onagar style catapults. Sitting on each fortified tower, all 25 of them, sat a heavy mounted trebuchet capable of outranging most other types of artillery out to 300 meters beyond the walls, through a combination of truly titanic weights and arms, and the extended elevation of the mounts in relation to the ground.

The city could be defended with three to four thousand men and, with proper stores of resources, hold out against a force a hundred times that size for years. When the house lost their armies due to Tepet incompetence, Arthur found him self commander of the city's defense, with only 500 men.

One of the greatest shames of his life was watching the 70 or so old men who volunteered to bar the gates, cut the chains in them, and burn the keep before letting it be fall to the enemy stand along the walls of the last gate house and close it behind them, giving them one last salute as their master rode south with all he could.

He had a plan to retake his city, one he planned on proposing to the young dragon of Vai. One he was working on with Xao-Long Yang.
So apparently Cobalt has named me a Cyber terrorist, I honestly don't know to be Honored or offended.
Right leaning Centrist from Florida No I am not The Floridaman...hes my uncle. Other then that dont @ me about politics, im leaving that
hell hole behind until I leave Uni.
I reserve all rights to my posts, OCs, and contributions to any threads I post on.
I'm a Pagan too, figure that shit out!
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media ... e_Lock.gif storage
Hooyah Navy.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:11 pm

Imperialisium wrote:Zara Azairya Vai

Zara smiled at the remark from Lord Gregor. It was obvious that he should bring his men. He was a capable man, but not so much as to do something like this alone. She rolled her eyes back to him, "Bring your men." At that she trotted forward along the column. Past Azrellia and her blind companion. Making for the front of the army were the vanguard was led by the contingent from House Cathak. Coming up alongside Rymaris Cathak, who had been charged to lead his House's contributions to the effort, the wizened man with fiery red hair ever so slightly supplemented with streaks of silver did not spare Zara a glance. Though his voice was welcoming, "It is good to finally be on the attack. Is it not?"

"That it is, and when this campaign is finished we shall toast to the journey," responded Zara.

"A touch optimistic?"

"Its all we have currently."

Rymaris chuckled at that quick patch for a comment, "That it is. If we can take Castle Breton back, we stand to have secured Imperial territory from invasion. Undoing all of our foes gains. But what if the Bull himself comes?"

Zara looked off into the distance. The Bull was Anathema. A Solar Exalt and one who was not an amateur to his powers. If he were to come in person it would certainly be a bloody affair. Exhaling slowly she chose her words carefully. "If he should come for us himself. Then it best we give a good accounting for ourselves." Rymaris could not help but nod in agreement.

Behind them the army marched on.

Gregor - The Rite of Spring

Gregor did not pay too much attention to the way Zara rolled her eyes at him. However, he did feel a little more certain when she mentioned for him to bring his men. If she had any plans for him to actually be a trap of sorts for the enemy, his army was big enough to stall them and to drag them into the jaws of the Imperial Army. However, the more important aspect of this split was finding a critical landmark. Having a river to follow would keep the Imperial Army from losing time while traveling. "Alright. I suppose we'll meet all of you there. Until then, the Scarlet Empress guard all of you," he responded.

He gave a signal for his army and cavalry to follow, and they held themselves high with pride as they began to head for the Nerei. Daana rode near the front, barking orders for the Mahajan troops to follow as smoothly as possible. The snow did not crunch as much under their feet, under the hooves of their horses. Spring was coming, and time was limited for them to get an advantage. They trudged forward, with Daana looking over a map and guiding the train behind Gregor.

However, as Gregor moved along, he had ordered for Navid to find Medi and Azrellia. The Mahajan General wanted them along for the ride, as he wanted to test their skills in following a changing terrain. With Azrellia now with him, Medi would have both his social anchor and a seeing pair of eyes. He wanted to see, however, what else they could do together as a team. If the cold and the long journey did not wear their spirits, perhaps they would be strong enough for military life after all.

The river was not too far from the location from which they had split from the Imperial Army, but any trip with even a small army and cavalry was an endeavor. The snow was still white and glittering along the forest floor. The Mahajan standard was bright and abrasive against such a stark canvas, and Gregor knew that if they raised it they could be seen more easily by the enemy. Thus he had the standard-bearer keep the standard hidden, at least until they entered any sort of battle.

"Only you would smoke a pipe while riding a horse," Daana murmured to Gregor as they road toward the river.

The Mahajan general took a breath of his pipe and looked at him. "It works for me."

"I never said it didn't. I've known you long enough to know how anxious you get without it," he responded, with a bit of a snicker. Gregor gave him a slight annoyed look, but let Daana have his fun. He hoped that they would be able to move quickly and quietly enough so that they could secure the river, and then hopefully Pforz. "...If we succeed at this, we can turn the tide of the war. We'll have a new shelter for our men and more land for the Imperial Realm."

"And more dead Bullmen," Daana chimed in, now looking forward.

The piles of bodies never seemed to stop accumulating, but Gregor looked forward to combat. Yet they had to reach the river first, or they would be strategically in a terrible position. "Focus the men, make sure we have no stragglers, check on Medi and Azrellia and make sure they are near someone who is paying attention to the map," he muttered.

Daana nodded, and he fell back somewhat to find the two foreigners. Silence fell again, and Gregor stared toward the pale, gaping jaws of the snowy terrain.
-Alan Jackson

Antimersia
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Antimersia » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:29 pm

Medi and Azrellia

As Gregor led the pair along, Medi finally woke up from his deep slumber. The cold had woken him up. Normally, his minor training with secondary focus of fire, allowed him to keep himself warm when ever he began to get cold. However, Medi has spent the vast majority of his life in tropical environments. Before the shipwreck, the coldest he had been was during a particularly stormy night at sea. For the first time since he was six years old, Medi found some cloth and covered his feet to keep more heat from escaping.

"I always knew the north was colder but this is ridiculous!" Medi yelled out, sounding rather annoyed. Azrellia couldn't help but giggle at him.

"I did warn you that you should wear a coat before we left." She said back to him, patting his head.

"Yeah but everyone was telling me to wear a coat back in Lethlinberg too. But I barely even felt cold there. This is like feeling someone drop ice down your shirt, but everywhere at once!" Medi bemoaned.

"Oh stop. I brought you a coat anyway. I knew you'd need one." Azreallia reaches back into one of the saddle bags and pulls out a thin but heavy leather coat. She wraps it around Medi who instantly huddles inside it, smiling widely at the comfort.

"Ahhhhhh, that's nice. Thank you Azrellia." He replied. He grabbed hold of the reigns of the horse and begun to ride a bit faster, trying to bring them both up closer to Gregor. "Gregor! I'm all for kicking this Bull guy's ass. But, does he have to live so far north? It's like he wants people to hate him!" He asks Gregor, sounding almost playfully angry in tone.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:02 pm

Antimersia wrote:Medi and Azrellia

As Gregor led the pair along, Medi finally woke up from his deep slumber. The cold had woken him up. Normally, his minor training with secondary focus of fire, allowed him to keep himself warm when ever he began to get cold. However, Medi has spent the vast majority of his life in tropical environments. Before the shipwreck, the coldest he had been was during a particularly stormy night at sea. For the first time since he was six years old, Medi found some cloth and covered his feet to keep more heat from escaping.

"I always knew the north was colder but this is ridiculous!" Medi yelled out, sounding rather annoyed. Azrellia couldn't help but giggle at him.

"I did warn you that you should wear a coat before we left." She said back to him, patting his head.

"Yeah but everyone was telling me to wear a coat back in Lethlinberg too. But I barely even felt cold there. This is like feeling someone drop ice down your shirt, but everywhere at once!" Medi bemoaned.

"Oh stop. I brought you a coat anyway. I knew you'd need one." Azreallia reaches back into one of the saddle bags and pulls out a thin but heavy leather coat. She wraps it around Medi who instantly huddles inside it, smiling widely at the comfort.

"Ahhhhhh, that's nice. Thank you Azrellia." He replied. He grabbed hold of the reigns of the horse and begun to ride a bit faster, trying to bring them both up closer to Gregor. "Gregor! I'm all for kicking this Bull guy's ass. But, does he have to live so far north? It's like he wants people to hate him!" He asks Gregor, sounding almost playfully angry in tone.

Chase the Lightning Across the Snow

Daana found Medi and Azrellia a few dozen horses back, and he smirked as he saw how cold Medi was. Fortunately, Azrellia did manage to bring him a coat, and he had to chuckle at how motherly she acted toward him. They were both quite cute, in his eyes, two little strangers who were mostly harmless and rather kooky. Medi had latched onto Gregor almost immediately, and their budding friendship was cute to observe. "Dawwwww you brought him a little coat! How sweet. Lord Gregor had me come check on the two of you, and I see you're adapting to the cold well? The only way to get used to it is by going out in it, but we don't want either of you to freeze! Though..." He took a puzzled look at Azrellia. "...I'm not exactly sure if...ghosts freeze?...Anyhow!"

He found his copy of the map and snapped it open, holding it so Azrellia could see it. "We're headed for the Nerei, right here. If we see any of the Bull's soldiers, pay attention to the Lieutenants around you and follow them. We need to go along the river so that the rest of the Imperial Army has a track to follow. Once the snow starts melting, travel will become faster for both sides, so our goal is to secure Pforz as fast as possible. If you didn't get briefed earlier, now you did. Any questions?" He rolled the map away and put it in his pack, smiling at the duo as he continued to ride at the pace of the soldiers and cavalry around him.

In the meantime, Gregor continued to look toward the river. Based on the map, they would reach the river in a few hours. They were a smaller force than the Bull's Army, so he still hoped they would reach it while they were in retreat or turning in that direction. They needed to claim the river, and even moreso they needed it to cut the Bull's water supply for his men. If they could keep them away from the river, the men would be stranded in the cold. At the very least, trapping the river would keep them from finding their way back until the snow melts...then neither of us will have a territorial advantage... Time seemed to slow as he traveled in the snow, but every clop of a horse's hoof was progress.

Just a few hours to go...
-Alan Jackson

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:47 pm

The River Nerei

Lord Gregor and his men would find the River Nerei as half frozen, half melted, in accordance with the growing thaw due to the third month of the year's approach. The snow was less powdery and if one were not careful, and their horses shoes not in good condition, the threat of slippage was present. The River itself was not especially wide, but not easily fordable beyond natural choke points in the banks, most of which were either to the North-West were the river's source originated, or further downstream to the East. No, where they were headed the river would have to be crossed at some point via boat or ferry. And as the Imperials approached they'd see the plains around the river, along with the crossing point and town of Pforz beyond, host to the final companies of the enemy waiting to cross. Much of the enemy force having since ferried back and forth to the opposite bank. Yet, no horn sounded, and it could be presumed that the first riders of House Mahajan had not yet been spotted by the still pinprick shapes of the enemy before them.

The air was still cold, but the wind only lazily nipped at their exposed flesh, while the soggy marsh would make an impromptu cavalry charge a bit foolhardy. It would also prevent a reprisal of the enemy rearguard. Not, that there seemed to be any enemy horsemen or even rear scouts present; which would be odd to say the least. Did the enemy believe the Imperials had not followed, or perhaps were still believed to be too far back West to catch them before all were across? The site of the initial Ledaal-Northmen battle was not far from here. Indeed, snow covered piles could be seen just to the North. The remains of the burnt bodies of the fallen no doubt. At least the enemy had given them the good grace of a mass funeral pyre before moving on.
Resident Fox lover

Antimersia
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Antimersia » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:09 pm

Medi and Azrellia

"I'm a spirit actually. Ghosts are the after image of dead humans. I haven't died just yet!" Azrellia replies to Daana sweetly. "But there is no need to worry about me. I came prepared. This one though, has never been outside of tropical climates until now. The fool won't even wear shoes!"

"I told you Azrellia they are annoying! I can't fight with shoes on, I feel tied up." Medi interjected.

"Well if your feet fall off in this cold then you won't do much fighting anyways now will you!" Azrellia scolds. Medi groans dismissively, huffing as he wraps himself tighter in his coat. Azrellia listened intently to the brief. Medi listened closely as well, but he didn't make it as clear. Preferring to pet their horse rather than give Daana his undivided attention. None of the information was lost though. As Daana completed the briefing, Azrellia responded, "Just one, for now at least. What if we lose? I worry that this advance might be to aggressive. I'm no expert in tactics. But I've been around enough to see many wars. It is not uncommon that those that press the advantage after a victory push their luck too thin and end up devoured by their waiting enemy. So, say we reach the Bull's forces, and we lose. What is our plan of retreat?" Azrellia asked with a serious but somber tone. As if she were sorry to even suggest failure, but could not ignore her concern over the possibility.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:51 am

Imperialisium wrote:The River Nerei

Lord Gregor and his men would find the River Nerei as half frozen, half melted, in accordance with the growing thaw due to the third month of the year's approach. The snow was less powdery and if one were not careful, and their horses shoes not in good condition, the threat of slippage was present. The River itself was not especially wide, but not easily fordable beyond natural choke points in the banks, most of which were either to the North-West were the river's source originated, or further downstream to the East. No, where they were headed the river would have to be crossed at some point via boat or ferry. And as the Imperials approached they'd see the plains around the river, along with the crossing point and town of Pforz beyond, host to the final companies of the enemy waiting to cross. Much of the enemy force having since ferried back and forth to the opposite bank. Yet, no horn sounded, and it could be presumed that the first riders of House Mahajan had not yet been spotted by the still pinprick shapes of the enemy before them.

The air was still cold, but the wind only lazily nipped at their exposed flesh, while the soggy marsh would make an impromptu cavalry charge a bit foolhardy. It would also prevent a reprisal of the enemy rearguard. Not, that there seemed to be any enemy horsemen or even rear scouts present; which would be odd to say the least. Did the enemy believe the Imperials had not followed, or perhaps were still believed to be too far back West to catch them before all were across? The site of the initial Ledaal-Northmen battle was not far from here. Indeed, snow covered piles could be seen just to the North. The remains of the burnt bodies of the fallen no doubt. At least the enemy had given them the good grace of a mass funeral pyre before moving on.

Gregor - Burning Spring

The sludge of melting snow rippled and collapsed frequently under the hooves of horses and the boots of soldiers, and at least one horse slipped in the snow. The delay, fortunately, was not too long, but it was frustrating and a reminder of the rapidly-changing seasons. Gregor bit his tongue as he watched his men work together to make the process a speedy one, and he remembered that his trust in them was vital to everyone's survival. In return, they trusted him to have the plan to manage this leg of the mission.

As he moved ahead of the cavalry and examined the river, he frowned. The ice on the river was not stable, and its melting would no doubt lead to flooding. The size of the Imperial Army would require several ferries across the river, and no doubt the Bull's Army would have the same issues. Archers and Exalted could only do so much for either side, though no doubt the Bull could very easily make their lives miserable from several hundred yards away regardless. He smoked his pipe and thought, as he turned to examine the land across the river. The marshes on the other side had been moved and sloshed around, meaning the Bull's Army was not too far away. Their escape was a sloppy one to start, something which surprised the Mahajan leader as he took a breath of his pipe. "Not very good work covering your tracks, Bull...But then we will also have to cover our tracks if we leave, won't we?"

No doubt an assault on the Bull from this angle would take him by surprise, especially since he was trying to retreat. However, Gregor had no way of telling if the Bull would be with this section of his armed forces, or if he was heading to fight the main body of the Imperial forces. However, if they had a Water Exalted, flooding the river and sweeping away parts of the army would work. He turned back to look at his men, and he waited for Daana.

Daana continued to speak to Azrellia and Medi, whom he found charming in their friendly dynamic. The cute ghost was much like a mother hen, primping and scolding Medi for not staying close to her or taking care of himself. Yet when she did ask about their plans for combat, he gave a small, wondering frown. "We have to advance in order to take land back from the enemy. It's an important spot, and it'll provide us with another base of operations. It looks like the Bull has been...in the process of a retreat, from what I can tell..." The other general turned to crane his neck toward the front, and noted Gregor's silence as he surveyed the land. "...We are going to return to the main army and report our findings, and depending on what Gregor says we need to do, we'll return and possibly give them a disadvantage. Do you play chess, Azrellia?"

A message came back to Daana, Navid moving quickly on his horse. "General Daana!"

"Well, speak-up, champ, did the boss send you?" Daana responded, quickly turning from the ghost to speak to the Lieutenant.

"It looks like the Bull's been here recently, and the river could flood soon. Gregor says we want to use that to our advantage. We need to get a Water Exalted or two from the main party."

Daana groaned. Moving the entire party back for a few people would be tedious, and would allow for the Bull to return and attack them. At the same time, they did need to complete a task and return. "...Take a party back with you to the man army, let Lady Zara know what Gregor said, come back with a couple Water Exalted from Ledaal. Take some Fire Exalted in case you get assaulted. If you don't return, I'll let Gregor know to take action himself."

Navid took the command and gathered a group of about thirty cavalrymen. If Gregor was expecting him to take the initiative and act on his own, then he would do so. However, they had to move quickly. Mahajan's party was small, and they needed to complete this mission as soon as possible. The smaller cell of Mahajan soldiers tossed snow through the air around them, as they managed to race back to find Lady Zara and her other commanders.

They did manage to move back toward the outer edges of the Imperial Army in a few hours, and some of the Mahajan horsemen moved to find Lady Zara. One of them rode clumsily to the side of the Cathak general, but called to Lady Zara. "General Vai! General Mahajan sends a report! The Bull's Army is in retreat near River Nerei, the river needs to be flooded in order for us to stall them and attack! We need Water Exalted to come with us to help Gregor to melt the river as much as possible! The size of the retreating army is unknown, but larger than Mahajan's Army. What shall I send back to him?"
-Alan Jackson

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:21 pm

Silisia

The 33rd Heavy Infantry Regiment of house Vai had undergone a drastic reorganization after Lethlinburg. Their ranks had been particularly savaged, having been caught by surprise during the battle. A series of poor luck and timing had found the 33rd in the middle of being rotated onto the wall when a strong attack had caught them off balance and the regiment had suffered for it. That was the reason Silisia found herself in her current predicament.

"Lieutenant! Lieutenant Lancast!" A voice, young and excited called out from behind her. With a jerk of her head Silisia was broken out of the dull monotony of the march, having been zoned out into her own thoughts. She still wasn't used to her new rank, having been promoted 5 days past to Fang-Lieutenant for her valor during the battle and because their was no one better for the job in her platoon.

"What is it Soldier?" Silisia said as she stepped out of the marching line to meet the young man who was running hard to catch up with her. She recognized him as Soldier Yuri, a young man who she knew lived only ten kilometers from her own home back in Vai territory. "It's Soldier Berk and Soldier Tu! They have blades drawn and I think they mean blood!" The younger soldier said, almost squeaking in excitement.

"Damn them! Not even a week! Alright lead me!" Silisia said, slipping her pack off her shoulders and breaking into a sprint after the Yuri. One hand was on the hilt of her sword to keep it from flapping as she ran. It took them nearly a minute of sprinting down the marching line to come across the fighting men.

They indeed had blades drawn and were in the middle of crossing them when Silisia caught view of them. They wore no helmets so she could easily see that is was indeed Tu and Berk who were fighting. She bit down a curse, the two had obvious bad blood so she had placed them in two different spots during the march, how had they found each other?

It took little effort for Silisia to end the fight. At her speed she barreled through the circle of onlookers and landed a blow full on Soldier Berks chin. The big man slumped as she knocked him silly, he fell to the side, blade slipping out of his hand. Silisias own blade slid out of her sheathe and caught the downward stroke of the other fighter in one smooth movement. He had been aiming at his now unconscious opponent and would have opened a gash from shoulder to groin had she not stopped it.

"Damn you! Soldier Tu this is an order, put that blade on the ground now!" Silisia said, watching the cold anger in the tall mans eyes swing towards her. Randon Tu had a dark reputation, she had heard it before several times when she was still a soldier but she knew nothing had ever been proven against him, as his commanding officer she had come to believe every word of it.

She watched as he tensed, almost as if he was going to strike at her before she interrupted him again, "Calm yourself man and think with your head not your blade! Don't make me cross blades with you, I won't stop!" She said, anger entering her own voice now. She knew she was probably the regiments best duelist, Tu knew it too, so did the entire regiment really, it had only been confirmed again at Lethlinburg.

The Anger slowly faded from Soldier Tus face and he slowly reached down, placing the weapon on the ground before stepping back from it. His head now slightly bowed in the proper deference to a commanding officer. "Good now, I wa--"

"What a punch!" A mans voice said from behind her. She turned angrily, meaning to chastise whichever of her soldiers that had said it before realizing who she was now looking at. The color drained from her face and she sank to one knee, her soldiers doing the same. "Lady Vai! I apologize for this mess!" Silisia said.

Alex

"What a punch!" Alex said, the excitement in his voice obvious. He loved watching people skilled at their work do what they did, and the young officer he had just seen break up a fight obviously knew what she was doing. Though he wasn't sure it would save her.

He looked to his right at the gorgeous woman who he rode beside that day. In an offer to get to know eachother better, Alex had been riding with Zara Vai for a large portion of the march. They had exchanged small talk and little tidbits of information about themselves, information which they wished to share at the moment no doubt.

They had spotted the fight as it was ending and had stopped their horses as he called out. He wouldn't lie and say he didn't find the young womans obvious fear and respect for Zara amusing. Though whether it was fear for herself or her men, the young King of Elledanos could not tell. So now he looked to the woman that he had travelled across the world to marry and wondered how she would handle the situation which had been so unceremoniously dumped in front of her, if she decided to handle it at all.
Lover of doggos

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse