NATION

PASSWORD

PENUMBRA IC

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

PENUMBRA IC

Postby Tiltjuice » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:35 am

PENUMBRA, a Peacekeepers reboot

A flicker of light amidst the shadows - brought to you by the Knockout Gun Gals (with some contributions from Tiltjuice, Cylarn, and Mincaldenteans)

Down in the tropics, real business can only be done at night. That was the lesson from the suits in Singapore, anyway. The company lawyers and their shark-toothed grins strolled on in like they owned the world. Maybe right there and right then they did, who knows? I sure didn’t. Anyway, they’d sent us all off to Bangladesh. Me, my boss, and two other jobbers from Panorama. Hook up with the local coppers and figure out just who’d torched our warehouse in the Port of Chittagong.

They’d also explained, in not so many words, just how bent some of those local coppers could be. The money and favors the company had done weren’t giving much of a return. So we shouldn’t feel too guilty about taking silver back from the coppers - if we needed to. Cut up rough where the action happened, cut smoother in the outside world. Because that's what this was about, in the end, a report for the insurers.

That’s the way it always works with us, though. The client sets the rules we play by. Why not, they pay the bills and money makes the world go round. They say Marquis of Queensberry, we play straight and up the school. They say otherwise, well, we do what we have to.

I’m still not sure if that’s a comfort or not.

The thump of the business jet’s landing gear on the runway never failed to set her leg to throbbing. Mabel Moran sat and waited, instead studying the two strangers. A woman and a man. Neither of whom she’d mind getting a leg over if she felt low enough. Both of them looked like Class, in their own way. One modern, one old-fashioned.

So what are your stories, then? she didn’t ask. How did you get swept up in all this?

Everyone here had a story, but no one ever really mentioned it.

Well. Maybe one of these tropical nights that would change. Serious business, and all that.

The co-pilot came back, out the cockpit. A tall slab of beef, he was, standing awkwardly in the aisle. All polite businesslike smile and white uniform that would have blinded all of them if he’d been standing outside. “Welcome to Chittagong. The corporation has placed us on standby here at the airport. Please feel free to let us know if you need transportation to other parts of Asia.”

With a grunt, Mabel pushed herself out of the leather-fronted seat. Swinging her pack off the floor and over her shoulder, she balanced on her cane, anxious to move. The passage through Bangladeshi customs and immigration was as quick as those things usually were, and then they were outside.

It didn’t take long for the sweat to start rolling down her forehead and neck. But it wasn’t too different from Singapore, at least. Even if both places had her walking through a solid wall of heat and humidity. The heat coming up off the sidewalks set the air to waving like a giant convection oven. The sky was overcast, too. Light rain coming down. Well, at least that washed out the smog.

“Car park’s a bit of a hike,” she said, jutting her chin out to indicate the way. The rolling Irish tones somehow smoothed out the heat, or did something to it that lifted it for a second. At least for herself. She couldn’t speak for the others.

The sun beating down on the company’s armored sedan was neatly fended off by the icy air conditioning. Nothing but the best for them when they were on the job. The trunks had all the usual kit - fake documents and IDs, radios, cash, tracking devices, cameras, clean weapons for self-defence. Those last weren’t always available, but the Powers That Were must’ve thought Bangladesh a rough enough neighborhood to hand them out. Normally that was Sharp Focus’ biz, though the suits had said there’d be one coming in, and indeed there’d been an extra tote bag with a stick, pistol and shotgun in it. The tinted windows blocked out any would-be curious rubberneckers. Or bored ones, given the horrendous traffic. Clots and clots of oil and cargo trucks, two or three people on a motorbike, pedestrians, cars changing lanes. Spurts of honking. The harassed-looking traffic cops would have been too busy, but the drivers waiting might have looked for something to take away their irritation for a moment. The sixteen-kilometre trip from the airport had somehow become half an hour of listening to Bangladeshi rock on the radio, and five minutes of introduction. Which it hadn’t been all bad, to tell the truth. Most of it was brassy, bold; drum-heavy or odd mixes with strings and flutes. But the two that hit her fancy were simpler, rather bluesy. Lots of guitar, low-key spoken-word lyrics. Something she’d have to learn more about if she had the time.

The hotel she’d picked out was as close to the Chittagong waterfront as she could get them. Two buildings at a right angle, very pale orange. Practically next door to a central cargo station. The burned-down warehouse was there too, next to the port area. Most of the police stations were more inland.

Down went her bag and her light jacket as soon as she entered the room she was sharing with the other woman, Anichka.

“Time to work out the plan with the boys, you think?” Mabel straightened up, balancing carefully on her cane. “Where to go, what to do, who to squeeze?”
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

The Verdantderm Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Verdantderm Lands » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:43 am

Anichka Lebed'

The Chinese looking girl, looking lovely in a modest silk dress of yellow, paused to consider the older woman's, Mabel's, question. The younger woman twirled some of her dark hair in her fingers and reflected briefly before answering, "Someone 'international', multilingual and, I hope interesting. I can certainly work the English language, but Bengali and the other southeast Asian dialects are currently not great pieces of my arsenal".

And it's annoying that you aren't sharing your plans, Anichka thought. I'm very much certain that you know exactly what we're doing here. We would never go so half-cocked on an operation in the Foreign Service.

"I'll try to brainstorm something as I unpack," Anichka continued, "and let you know what I come up with in the next five to ten minutes."

Professionally, neatly and unobtrusively, Anichka unpacked and swept the room for electronic devices. When she finished, she sat down in a chair opposite Mabel and waited for the older woman to speak with her.
Last edited by The Verdantderm Lands on Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Give my people plenty of beer, good beer, and cheap beer, and you will have no revolution among them.”
-- Queen Victoria

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Mabel stayed quiet for the time Anichka had given her. The clicking of nails on smartphone screen was the only noise breaking the soft whispering of the air conditioning. Then, finally, the Irish woman exhaled, short and soft like as if she’d just realized or remembered something. She held out the mobile, open to Google Maps with the blue trail and red pins showing two destinations.

“Either way, I think, we’re going to be running into the fuzz, whether we investigate the scene ourselves or go to the police station to make things look more above-board. If we decide on checking things out ourselves, we might need to prepare to bribe some people. Or trade favors, really, whatever tricks you and Doctor Carrington have in your toolbox. Otherwise, we could just let the locals do the work for us, check up on them every now and then, and enjoy the beach outside. Or we could even do both at the same time - because we do have a fifth teammate coming, after all.”
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
mumblemumblemumble

The Verdantderm Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Verdantderm Lands » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:46 pm

Anichka Lebed'

Anichka nodded. This likely wasn't going to be a mission where communicating with the locals would be easy. However, it would be a great opportunity to dig up more information on the Megacorporation and pass that information on to the Foreign Service. Not that being embedded in the Megacorporation didn't have perquisites, but her true allegiance was to her country and her people and she was wary of letting the company get too much leverage that they might claim ownership to her.

"Dr. Carrington is knowledgeable and pleasant enough to work with," answered the Russian girl. "He could certainly pass himself off as an insurance investigator. You certainly may pose as a company lawyer. I, unfortunately, looking so much younger, won't be taken seriously as either of those. Perhaps I will just be an administrative assistant and keep my eyes and ears open." Anichka sighed, well, it was nice to be young and she knew that it wouldn't last forever.

In a friendly tone, the pretty young woman asked, "Mabel, what do you suppose was in that warehouse?" She paused briefly and then continued, "I will not believe for a second that this is just a matter of investigation. Certainly, the local police and politicians that have been bought need to be reminded who writes their checks, but while Bangladesh is a great place hide something secret, it isn't a great place to safeguard a secret. There was something, or someone, here. Is there a word or a name that I ought to be listening for?"

Anichka doubted that Mabel would come right out and tell her the truth, but Anichka wanted the older woman to realize that the Russian girl was more than just eye-candy or a honey trap. Also Anichka needed more information if they were to succeed.
“Give my people plenty of beer, good beer, and cheap beer, and you will have no revolution among them.”
-- Queen Victoria

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:47 pm

Luther Carrington sank down onto his bed with a loud thud, wiping a rivulet of sweat off his brow with a silken handkerchief. His pinstriped shirtsleeves were rolled up to the elbows, his light canvas field jacket discarded over the back of the nearest chair, and he took a long, much-needed swig from a chilled bottle of water. God, how he hated this damnable heat. Sighing, he sat up straight, picking up the thick book he'd been intermittently leafing through all the way here and flicking through its pages once more, eyes darting from word to word in no discernible order, and far too rapidly to follow. He muttered something to himself - a short phrase in a foreign tongue - and repeated it a few times, rolling the words around his mouth, getting a good feel for their pronunciation. Bengali, he reflected silently, was an absolute bastard of a language. He'd had an easier time with Sumerian, and anyone else who spoke that had been nought but bones and dust for a good few millennia.

Briefly, he glanced across at the other man. His roommate - and, as it transpired, his mission handler. He didn't talk much. Mind, the two of them didn't really have a lot in common to talk about; half a lifetime in Canadian intelligence and half a lifetime rooting around in ancient ruins. Somehow, in spite of that, they'd ended up in exactly the same place. Someone up high worked in mysterious ways, that was for certain.

"So..." he began, breaking the silence. "What is the plan here, exactly? We walk in posing as anything other than company attack dogs, ask the police all the pertinent questions, wave a few quid about where appropriate and... hope nobody's waving more?" He shot the Canadian an inquisitive look. "I know there's more to it than that, of course; we surely wouldn't have come all this way, with this many of us, for a petty arson case. Any plausible suspects so far? Business competitors? Any local factions have a bone to pick with the company?" Carrington returned his attention to his book as he waited for a satisfactory response, turning the page and muttering softly. "Āmākē tathya dina ath... athabā āpani ēṭā duḥknita - no, duḥkhita - habē."
Last edited by Kragholm Free States on Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Formerly New Aerios, Est. 2012.
I don't use NS stats, here's my perpetually WIP factbooks.
Obligatory Political Compass:
Econ: 3.88 (R), Soc: -4.97 (L)
Civil Libertarian, Monarchist, Decentralist, Economic Localist, Englishman.
Old posts not necessarily representative of current views.

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:51 pm

Zohal Khalil was forced to arrive some time after the rest of the operatives assigned to the mission in Bangladesh, on a separate corporate aircraft. She was supposed to be on her way home from a mission, dealing with some loose ends in India. Instead, she was rerouted to Bangladesh. From what she was told, the operation in Bangladesh was supposed to be a simple investigation. However, nobody assigned to the mission had any form of military training and the powers that be decided they needed some protection. Who better to send than a special operations combat veteran who could, to some extent, pass as a local as long as nobody asked her to speak Bengali. She thought the whole thing was a waste of her skillset, but at the same time glad it was a seemingly simple assignment. Seemingly simple was the keyword. She knew better than to assume things would go to plan. Too many simple house searches in Afghan mountain villages that turned into pitched, hours long battles against the Taliban or ISIS-K had happened in her time with the Afghan army. So she wondered what the catch would be here. Something had to happen, and someone higher up had to know something to think she was needed here.

Zohal stepped off the plane and on to the tarmac. The heat was the first thing to hit. Humidity was not something she could deal with, and would probably never be able to. This was exacerbated by her thought that a more modest style of dress would help her blend in with the locals better. Long pants, long sleeves, a knee length coat made of a relatively thin material. Not the best choice of clothing in this kind of weather, but at least she could hide a handgun under the coat.

She made her way across the tarmac to a waiting sedan. A man in a suit stood outside, waiting to take her bags. Zohal handed her bags to the main, who put them in the trunk of the car as she got in the back seat. As the car drove through the city, Zohal simply looked out through the window at the new surroundings. In all honesty, she thought Kabul was a nicer city than this.

Kabul... Afghanistan... she missed her home. She could go back any time she wanted of course. She never gave up her Afghan citizenship, she still held an Afghan passport regardless of the forged passports she was provided with for her missions. Would she ever return though? She had no idea. Maybe the megacorp would have some business there and she'd have to go back for it. But to go back willingly? That was something she didn't know if she could do at any point in the near future.

Apparently, she had zoned out thinking about Afghanistan long enough that the driver told her she had arrived at the hotel seemingly not that long after leaving the airport. It was a fairly nondescript orange building. She didn't expect it to be a particularly great hotel, but it would be far from the worst place she's had to sleep. The most important thing was getting to sleep somewhere after being on a plane most of the day. And as she got to her hotel room, the first thing she did was lay down on the bed. Meeting with the other operatives could wait, as far as she knew she was just here for security and didn't need to be heavily involved in the initial planning process.
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:05 pm

Mabel’s eyebrows furrowed slightly, and then she smiled. One of the rare ones that had nothing but simple contentment behind it. That Anichka felt someone as washed-up as herself could come across as the company solicitor carried its own unique je ne savais pas quoi…

She pulled out the folder again, nodding slightly to acknowledge the younger woman’s point. Her focus had been on giving the lay of the land. A glorified tour guide, as it were, being a onetime location scout and all. And so, she’d missed the finer details of what they were actually looking for. Balancing against the dresser, she tossed her cane across the easy chair. Deft fingers flipped through loose leaves of paper, turning them carelessly from one side to the other.

“Silk. You’re right, Anichka! Our employer graciously agreed to partner with the Thais. A joint research project using silk to develop body armor that won’t break down as easily in tropical weather. The prototypes were being made here in Bangladesh, on the cheap. And the suits just found out the truth of what you just said - this isn’t a great place for keeping secrets safe.”

“Doctor,” Mabel continued, turning now to the scholar of the group, “as far as I can tell, right now the main suspect we have is a business competitor. Anyone who would do it would be a real chancer. This port’s home to most of Bangla’s Navy, and no one would cause a ruckus here if they didn’t have to, bent coppers or not, unless they just flat out didn’t care. And if so, the two names that rise to the top are the Textiles Association and the Port Commission. One for the contents of the warehouse, and the other for the land the warehouse was built on, maybe someone didn’t want to ask ‘mother may I?’ Still, it wouldn’ hurt to go and see if the police have any other trails.”

The room’s phone rang, a jangling full-stop to Mabel’s summary. It was just as well, anyway, since she’d gone faster and faster as she continued. Enough to start dropping the Ts off the ends of her words, like kicking off her shoes at the end of the day. The schools had never been able to get rid of that verbal tic of hers. She reached down and snagged the handset.

“Good afternoon, this is Dinesh, at the front desk,” an accented male voice said smoothly. “As you request, the last member of your party has arrived and is in room 302, a solo room in the east wing.”

Not too bad, then, Mabel thought as she thanked the desk clerk and relayed the information to the others. She checked herself over once more, making sure the blouse and cotton trousers were in good enough shape to pull off the solicitor act.

“Ready when you lot are. We can pick up duckling number 5, and give her the old shooting jacket and irons, on the way to the car.”
mumblemumblemumble

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:15 pm

It was impossible to know what her teammates were thinking, but to Mabel’s eyes, the squat, angular building had no clear markings on it to identify it as a police precinct, much less a deputy commissioner’s office. Someone that senior didn’t rate a fancy building? But there it was, anyway, the port police headquarters. A pointy, irregular lump of concrete with every kind of sign except one saying “Police”.

It wasn’t as if the government or...anyone, really...was worried about being attacked. What with the bloody fruit stands right outside, and an open-air cafe on the other side of the street. So, no terrorists lurking about, at least.

“Well. Shall we?” She lifted her cane off the ground and waved it vaguely in the direction of the building, doing her best to ignore the curious stares of the local citizens at the cluster of four Caucasians and a lady who looked like one of their own at first glance. She knew the feeling. Some of the places she’d been to, the people were even less shy about it than here. Leastways the Bangladeshis were staring out of curiosity, not to commiserate silently about her limp or the mental scars. She shook herself.

The inside of the building was just like any other open-plan office. Maybe better, given all the heat. The windows were wide open, no air-con, only a few desk fans sat on the floor. Men sat at desks with their uniform shirtsleeves up.

The gentle, stolid thudding of footsteps on hardwood made her gaze swivel to the left. A serious-looking man in a dark blue uniform came down the staircase; his bearing, build, and accent all impossibly screamed I survived all the drill instructors Sandhurst could throw at me and all I got was this lousy buzz cut!. The Bengali text, single four-pointed star and lotus on each of his shoulders said clearly -

“Welcome,” the man said. “I am Deputy Commissioner Majumdar. I have been expecting you. Please, this way to my office.”

The DC’s office was just a bit fancier than the downstairs. The Irish woman glanced around, getting a feel for its occupant. Ceiling fans, with a near-silent whop, whop, whop. Open windows. A large desk, neatly organized papers, computer, ashtray. Filing cabinet. Display case, sure enough, with a faded Sandhurst mustering-out booklet front and centre.

A polite cough drew her attention back to Majumdar’s assistant, who laid a tray of glasses of water for them before exiting again.

“Please have a seat, ladies and gentlemen, as I say I have been expecting you. Your company’s solicitors are rather efficient, and I am quite happy to be at their service. As is my colleague, this is Inspector Shah of Special Branch. Our superiors would like us to assure you of all assistance and cooperation while you are in our country.”

Shah the spook tilted his head in agreement. Just as sober as Majumdar, but fewer lines on his face. Suit and tie, and a polished watch around a thick wrist, playing contrast to the other man’s crisp uniform blues. A Longines, if Mabel wasn’t mistaken, but she couldn’t make out the watch’s tiny-lettered brand name from where she sat.

“Now, here is where we are with our investigation currently. The crime scene is secured by my officers, around the clock. Fire investigations are more difficult, and so evidence collection is encountering some few difficulties. But you all are of course welcome at any time to observe the scene yourselves...” The summary went on in that vein for some time, winding up after a few more minutes with Majumdar and Shah presenting their business cards and a photocopy of the case file, by way of closing the meeting.

Outside in the heat again, Mabel shaded her eyes against the setting afternoon sun, glancing toward the tropical fruit vendors.

“I don’t know about you lot, but I - ”

Crack.

Screams erupted, but Mabel simply froze in place, ignorant of who was making them or why. The sound could have been anything. A car backfiring, not all that surprising on the crowded streets. A soldier might have heard a rifle. All she saw in her mind’s eye right then was a pickup careening carelessly into her mount and her again.

From an open second-story window, a body in uniform blues overbalanced and toppled out.

A man in plainclothes ran out, tie flapping wildly and watch face glinting. Face hard as a rock, gone from sober to cold. He knelt next to the body, used a pen to flick the charred remnants of a cigar out of a ruined hand.
Last edited by Tiltjuice on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mumblemumblemumble

The Verdantderm Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Verdantderm Lands » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:11 am

Anichka Lebed'

Internally, Anichka was very cool. However, her role as an assistant to a more experienced person demanded that she appear a quite a bit less cool and composed. Her hesitation to act like a normal, easily panicked civilian could be construed as initial shock. The Russian girl shot to her feet, knocking over her chair, and took two steps back. She clapped her hands to her cheeks and made a cry of horrified surprise, all the while scanning the area for any clues, such as someone carrying a weapon concealing package, not being surprised and shocked, or even smiling.

Anichka would have to wait to receive more information before she could place the event in the scheme of the mission, but for now she concentrated on observing, listening and maintaining her cover.

The Russian girl looked about, appearing to all that she was too frightened to move....
-- Queen Victoria

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Carrington's face hardened into a look of grim resolve as he watched the scene unfold. The thought of a man's cigar exploding in his hand would have been vaguely humorous, had it remained merely a thought - and had it not heralded the existence of some shadowy conspiracy to cover up the true nature of the fire - yet it appeared that was exactly what had happened here. He glanced across at Anichka's performance. Convincing, and certainly a wise idea. A man of his years, however, could get away with maintaining a little more visible composure. Jogging quickly down and outside to the victim, the scholar squatted down next to him, eyes flicking back and forth between his mangled hand and the bustling crowds now gathering around the grisly scene. In the absence of anyone else, the man who ran out to the victim, whose immediate reaction was to flick away the likely murder weapon rather than check the victim for a pulse or try to rouse them, was certainly a suspect. And how did the policeman fall, anyway? The force of the blast would not have been sufficient to launch him out of a window; no, he was probably pushed. Just where had the other man gone, though? A flash of movement in the crowd, the tip of a tie disappearing among the teeming masses, marked his rapid departure. This was getting to be more complicated than Luther had anticipated.
Last edited by Kragholm Free States on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly New Aerios, Est. 2012.
I don't use NS stats, here's my perpetually WIP factbooks.
Obligatory Political Compass:
Econ: 3.88 (R), Soc: -4.97 (L)
Civil Libertarian, Monarchist, Decentralist, Economic Localist, Englishman.
Old posts not necessarily representative of current views.

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:20 pm

The crack caused Zohal to instinctively reach for her sidearm. It sounded like a muffled gunshot relatively nearby, and the screams of bystanders confirmed such a thing. Even one of her teammates, a young Russian woman, had joined in the panic. Where did they find these people? she thought to herself as she found cover behind a parked car and, with her hand on her sidearm, scanned for possible shooters. Then she saw the body, a man in a police uniform, be thrown from a window.

From her point of view, she had only assumed that there was a shooting inside the building and this man was the victim. They would probably have to assault the building in order to get the shooter out. But nobody with any amount of special forces training and combat experience could assault a building containing one or more shooters and expect to come out on top. Her fellow teammates probably wouldn't be much help, and the Bengali cops were likely only slightly more competent than their Afghan counterparts. She could go check on the body, but that would mean leaving her covered position and exposing herself to potential enemy fire. And if the man was alive, there wasn't much she could do without a first aid kit. She decided to play the waiting game, maybe try to make her way back to the company car and grab her rifle and plate carrier from the trunk and get ready for whatever would happen...

Except she wouldn't need to do this. Another man came running from the building and flicked a cigar out of the bodies hand. It was the shooter, he had to be. Zohal drew her handgun and aimed over the hood of the car. She was in a safe place if he decided to fire, nothing was going through an engine block short of a .50 caliber machine gun. But the "shooter" didn't appear to have a gun. She had an opportunity to fire, but hesitated. What if he wasn't the guy? Either way, within a matter of seconds he was lost in the crowd. She could have took off running after him, but she didn't want to be alone chasing after a murder suspect. That had ambush written all over it. It was the same tactic whether you were the Taliban in Kunduz or a Bengali gangster in Chittagong.

When she was sure the danger of being shot at had passed, she holstered her pistol and made her way over to the body. The older man from her team had already tried to check on him and was asking questions. Zohal noticed the victim's hand had been destroyed. Explosives in the cigar, she assumed. She had to do something to try to help him. He surely had broken bones from the fall which she couldn't do much to help with at the moment, but she could at least try to do something to stop the bleeding.

Along with her handgun, she also carried a knife on her. A small, easily concealable knife that could just as easily be a fighting knife as it could be a utility knife a hiker might carry. She drew the knife and cut off a strip of the victim's uniform in order to fashion a makeshift tourniquet.

"If you can hear me, this might hurt but I need to do it to stop you from bleeding," she said to the victim as she wrapped the strip of fabric around his arm. She then proceeded to pull it as tight as she possibly could, and then tie it. Her makeshift tourniquet worked to stop the bleeding, but the victim still didn't look to be in great shape.
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:30 am

Alexander Hartman

He wasn't surprised much when they first assembled. He thought the current operation (I mean, they all assembled for something, right? Must be a new operation. What else?) would be nice. At least he thought so. At first. They were then brought upon another building. Have a meeting. At least in practice and in theory, should have been a normal one. Instead, a sound was heard, and then there's a victim. Oh fantastic. He immediately looked for the victim. One of his teammates (Zohal) already moved to the victim. Not wasting the time, he thought to himself.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:50 pm

The crush of the stampeding Bengalis fleeing the scene buffeted Mabel and the others, except Zohal, this way and that. The pushing and shoving broke her out of the momentary trance; it was all that she could do to try to keep her balance off her bad leg. Her knuckles whitened momentarily on the grip of her cane, before she gave it up and knelt slowly next to Zohal.

DC Majumdar had been knocked silly by the fall, and his - wrecked - hand probably meant he’d prefer to stay that way. Or so she thought, until Zohal’s tightening the tourniquet brought a pained moan, followed by a growl-like, muttered “Kōriẏāna subarṇa padma”. His eyes flew open and she stared back, biting her lip in sympathy. Something looked off, wild, in them, but -

A whistle blew; Mabel jerked upright and her back slammed into the side of their car. The police station’s doors banged open. Majumdar’s assistant, waving a baton, and four more coppers behind him. Two in green camo with rifles, two in the same dark blue that Sergeant Baton was wearing. Before they could do anything else, she swept the still-smoking remnants of the cigar under her leg with the cane.

Pichu hām̐ṭā! Pichu hām̐ṭā!” the sergeant yelled, and the crowd moved aside as quickly as possible. The port policemen moved toward Majumdar, no doubt to pick him up and take him inside while waiting for paramedics. The sergeant turned to the paramilitaries, only bothering to bark a terse “Grēphatāra insapēkṭara!” They saluted quickly before running in the direction Inspector Shah had taken out of the area. Something was definitely up, now; it wasn’t normal to have a spy in on an arson case, much less one who was now also an attempted murder suspect. Mabel darted a glance at Doctor Carrington and the Afghani woman. They definitely needed to get back to the hotel, regroup, and figure out what to do next with Majumdar’s words and the cigar. And Shah.

The sergeant had followed his two men up to the team. Watched carefully as they took his superior inside, then turned back to them.

“Not many foreigners here. Never like this.” He paused, tapped a cigarette out of a crumpled pack and held it out for anyone to take one. “You come, suddenly there is trouble. Not so good. Find your other foreigners, then leave.”

Mabel pushed herself to her feet, cigar bits hidden away between her fist and the cane’s crook. “We came to find out only about our warehouse, nothing more,” she replied calmly, putting aside the implied Not made in Bangladesh!.

The sergeant snorted dismissively and pocketed his carton of smokes. Turning on his heel, he strode back inside, the team already out of his mind.

Mabel tossed her head. “That's that, then. So there's a few paths to take now, I suppose. One, follow the good Deputy Commish to the hospital and sit on him to see if anyone comes to finish him off. Two, check out the warehouse itself for clues. Three, go back to the hotel and chew on all this new information.”

She held out her hand, palm up. The shape of the red welt pressed into the center of it matched the thin metal cartridge glinting underneath the cigar wrapper.
Last edited by Tiltjuice on Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mumblemumblemumble

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Alexander Hartman

Alright, things certainly turn for the worse. The local police certainly didn't like their presence here. Then again, it's to be expected. He had hoped things would be at least run normally, or like before. But now? Now...well, it certainly not good. "Alright," as he said to the rest of team. "You heard the lady. We'd better split up, right here, right now. I'll head to the warehouse, finding clues there," he said, addressing to the rest of the team.

"What about the rest of you? Where do you all want to split to and go to?"
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:32 pm

"Doesn't matter a whole lot to me, but as long as we're collecting things to look at, it'd make sense to all go to the warehouse."

Mabel stuffed the casing - or whatever it was - in a pocket. Cleared the damp hair off her face.

"I guess I'll drive."

The late afternoon sun, partially blocked by clouds, left the warehouse looking washed-out and dull. The kind of thing that lowered people's guards, like a lazy Sunday afternoon...

Mabel glanced at her watch, before looking out the window. Security cameras in the corners just under the warehouse's roof. A fence topped with razor wire, the usual chain-link fence and gate blocking the long path up to the large double sliding doors. Blue and white crime scene tape wrapped around the whole building; no one in sight at first until - yes, there it was. A pair of port policemen walking patrol around it, coming into view just then.

"The coppers probably won't be pleased if we just walk up and suggest they missed something. I wouldn't, back in the day...so, distraction? Who wants to handle that and who wants to come with me into the warehouse?"
mumblemumblemumble

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse