NATION

PASSWORD

The Darkness Below (Post apocalypse/DEAD)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

The Darkness Below (Post apocalypse/DEAD)

Postby Ayvalon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:51 pm

They're the cock of the walk when they return from the hunt, the strongest, the fastest, the meanest of the lot. Any one o' that lot is worth no less than 10 of us day walkers.
Matthias Schmidt, remarking on Grounders

Lore Thread

The world as we know it no longer exists, following "The Great Collapse" of 2277, most of the American public has long since resided in "0 Hour Towers", great constructs established as refuges for the possibility of the catastrophe mankind suffers today. The Earth's surface has been drowned in "The Great Fog", a miasma of pollution, chemical weapons still dispersing decades later and radiation from sources both unknown and ruptures in the Ozone layer. The overwhelming mass of humanity was exterminated in what culminated in WW3 between the RSRR (Reformed Soviet Republic of Russia), the ADC (American Defense Coalition) and EPP (European Protection Pact).

The year is now 2300. Contact with the world outside such towers is dangerous at best and suicide at worst without the communications systems of the towers and even then, trade between towers isn't always possible for certain goods. As such, 0 Hour Towers have come to establish "The Grounder Division". Grounders are often comprised of tower security, pre-war survivors and volunteers banded together to scavenge the forgotten world below the Great Fog. The Grounder program breeds the best and brightest humanity still has left to offer, with training often lasting upwards of 2 years before they ever step outside the tower's confines willingly.

The System

The training regime for Grounders, known informally across most towers as "The System", is the means by which Grounders are groomed to survive in high stress and threat environments typical of the surface. Sleep deprivation and some degree of starvation are normal for the program, with candidates forced into mock battles with each other often for several hours a day known as "Crush courses" in everything from utilizing less-lethal firearm munitions to hand to hand combat both barehanded and with weapons. Training also details studying pre-war electronics and architecture (to bypass potential security still functioning), survival skills (particularly first aid and surviving in the wild) considering much of the old world is likely overrun with mutated wild-life both flora and fauna. Beyond the basic training, candidates are organized into distinct categories:

Hackers: Much of America's energy supply was self-maintaining nuclear reactors operated by AI known as "Atlas Engines" before the world's end. As such, it's not unheard of for pre-war buildings to still have power in some areas even decades later without maintenance. Hackers are the go-to electronics and technical experts of any Grounder team, capable of bypassing security systems and interacting with pre-war tech. While all Grounder members are familiar with such gadgets, Hackers are also trained to be the go-to for more intricate systems and spotting unique gear of interest for 0 Hour Tower needs.

Rangers: The eyes and ears of any Grounder element. Rangers often operate in 3-4 man groups of the Grounder element. They are tasked with establishing a cartographic layout around the tower, helping both their own element and later groups to find buildings or objects of interest for retrieval or study. Considered to be the infiltration and observation experts of the group, Rangers are often sent out well ahead and in many cases with no more than 1 man beside them to ease their concealment.

Rackers: The Grounder team's muscle, Rackers (So named for the loud tell-tale 'racking' which indicates their weapons are live) are undeniably the pinnacle of human firepower. Suited in exoskeletons armed with arm-mounted high-caliber belt-fed machineguns and shoulder-mounted support weapons, a pair of well equipped rackers are capable of laying down a field of fire equivalent to an entire convoy of 21st century military vehicles in a pinch. Such exoskeletons are incredibly rare nowadays and are difficult to keep maintained. As such Rackers are often the element's second in command or some of their most trusted troopers.

Stitcher: More commonly referred to as medic or 'doc', the Stitcher is the team's medical expert, familiar both with human as well as animal anatomy for the study of mutated wild-life in the interest of both potential domestication or bio-mimicry (adapting animal traits and/or organs for human use). Stitchers are as such often one of the team's most well protected members genuinely moving near the element leader himself

Grounder: Your typical rifleman, jack of trades, master of none typically. Grounders unsurprisingly make up the bulk of Grounder elements, well trained in a variety of fields of expertise but most importantly combat and survival skills considering the extreme lethality of the Earth's surface nowadays.

Commander: Not necessarily a designated role under the system but rather the individual chosen to lead a Grounder element, highly proficient in multiple forms of communication, first aid and well versed in old-world small unit tactics and strategies. Commanders are more or less chosen by the candidate's peers to lead them in training. Typically 2-3 commanders exist in any Grounder element with 1 taking overall leadership and the rest acting to lead smaller teams in the field.
Last edited by Ayvalon on Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:51 pm

The Big(ish) Book of Rules

1) I am thy god OP, myself and any appointed Co-Op's rulings are final.
2) No god-modding, you get 2 warnings, 3rd and I oust ya
3) You're not bullet or bite-proof, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
4) Inactivity for long (see week or longer) periods of time without warning me and I feed your character to a group of rabid squirrels.
5) If you're not sure about the lore, ask, I'm mostly flying by the seat of my pants at the moment so I may not have posted relevant lore up here yet.
6) If you've read and agree with these rules, add one of the following words or phrases to your application so I know you've read them: Darkness falls, labyrinth, crack-house, great collapse, fishhook, lucky charms, blackout

If you're reading this, it means you're actually taking the time to study everything before just diving right in, and I applaud your patience. The final part of the application regarding "Further Examination" is an optional character building where I work one on one with you to further flesh your character out. I'm reserving this option for older characters (ages 40+) to explain why they may be an expert in their role. This will not give you a definitive edge, but rather be a means by which I (or co-ops) can give you clues or plot cues relevant to your skills time to time. What you make of those cues is entirely up to you, the player.

Code: Select all
Name: (while rare, foreign nationals from across the world aren't unheard of in 0 hour towers)

Callsign

Nationality:

Personality:

Height:

Weight:

Appearance:

Unique features: (Scars/tattoos or anything you don't feel applies under appearance, generally speaking something for other's to look for on the off chance your character has an unfortunate end)

System Role:

Weapons: (Don't be afraid to get a little creative, we're in PMT territory obviously, but no laser/plasma weapons etc.)

Equipment: (All players have a rucksack/backpack etc. with 5 day's food and water rations as well as a first aid kit, sleeping system, gasmask and protection gear standard, no need to add that here unless you want to explicitly mention forgoing any of these items)

Personal items:

Biography: (No less than 2 paragraphs)

RP Example: (If you don't have one you'd like to provide, spoiler a few paragraphs of how you think your character would behave in this setting)

Theme song: (Not required, just there for those who'd like to set a tone for their character)

Further Examination? (Y/N):
Last edited by Ayvalon on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:52 pm

Unusual Threats/Phenomena

Screamers: Those few Tower security members who have had run-ins with Screamers are usually discomforted by the experience. What exactly happened to these human beings to turn them into the monsters they are can most likely be chalked up to prolonged exposure to The Great Fog. Screamers are definitely humans, often in some state of starvation and/or emaciated. Their name was coined, unsurprisingly, from the ear-splitting screaming that foretells their appearance. What few autopsies have been performed on screamers reveal their bodies are riddled with white cancerous like growths particularly in the limbs and abdomen.

Alone, a single Screamer is of next to no threat. They are exceptionally weak, often likened to a child in terms of physical strength, easily overpowered if taken by surprise. However, Screamers do seem to possess exceptional stamina, allowing them to run long distances without tiring. What makes them so dangerous overall is their tendency to seemingly gnaw or file their own nails if not their entire finger itself down to the bone to fashion them into sharp points which can potentially rupture a Grounder's environmental protection suit exposing them to the toxic air of The Great Fog.

It also appears that their screams are some form of primitive communication, as such a single Screamer spotting those uninfected with their condition can often bring down dozens if not hundreds of other Screamers upon their prey.

Lurkers Lurkers appear to be some mutated strain of large canine species, possibly even wolf. Lurkers are considered among the most common and/or dangerous predator of Post-fall America, hunting in packs of 10-12 specimen. They often wait until their prey is divided or distracted, in fact some reports suggest they may even possess a certain degree of human intellect, staging their own distractions or noises to draw prey into an ambush.

Despite this, Lurker's show potential for domestication as with early man's wolf. Several specimens isolated from their pack have indeed been brought into 0 hour towers and domesticated as family pets and guardians of a home. Fur tones tend to vary depending on locale, but most often tend towards snowy whites, dark greys and blacks or browns, with the latter 2 particularly in urban environs typical of 0 Hour Tower's locations.

Watchers Definitively humanoid in nature, Watchers have yet to be studied, they have only ever been observed from distances as close as 100 meters. What few long distance observation reports exist suggests they are herbivores, scrounging among the overgrowth of human cities, favoring tall structures for their nests. Some reports suggest they are capable of flight. When not observed directly by Rangers, most Watcher sightings stem from rare sightings of them 'observing' Grounder Elements despite seemingly having no eyes or ears.

Watchers are typically smooth, grey skinned, standing approximately 3.5-5 ft tall, with some reports likening them to 'greys' of pre-war phenomena, albeit lacking any facial features. Watchers are also uniquely a sign of safety, as other predators (and even screamers) seem to avoid any areas they inhabit or roam.

Reavers Exceptionally rare, thusfar considered to be solitary humanoids. Reavers are an exceptional threat to all but the most well-armed Grounder elements. Standing approximately 9 ft tall and weighing anywhere from 400-600 lbs, these abnormal beings have been the death of entire Grounder elements for their extreme resistance to most injury. Capable of shrugging off all small arms fire and even small blades, Reavers (or as others also call them, Reapers) are easily identified by their massive claws and the territorial markings they leave, carving primitive symbols and warnings to others where their territory begins and ends.

Study thusfar suggests Reavers are a possible evolutionary offshoot of Screamers, mostly by physical traits shared between the two (typically ashen skinned, sunken eyes and changed jaw/tooth structure).

Arach So named for their Arachnid features, Arachs are exceptionally large, 8 legged mutants known for their distaste of light in all forms. Favoring subterranean dwelling or human structures to roost within, Screamers often steer clear of their domain. Stitchers from several towers have made unified efforts to study Arach behavior and more precisely, the material with which they reinforce their nests. Extremely adhesive and durable in nature, several medical and biological experts have theorized it's reproduction could be a massive boon to architectural stability.

Arach behavior and colorings vary wildly depending on their location in the US, it is also worth noting however that only 2 observed cases of Arach bites displayed the ability to inject venom, suggesting the species relies more on it's size and an unseen mouth to consume it's prey. This has only further amplified the belief that Arach are a rampant mutation of spiders hybridized from another species.

Screechers Not to be confused with Screamers, Screechers are one of the only known avian life-forms known to exist beneath The Great Fog in any substantial number. Scavengers by nature (although they have been known to outright kill their prey if it is too weak to fight back), large screecher populations upon leaving a tower are considered a bad omen, especially by many Rangers. They often known to congregate near and within large swarms of Screamers, picking from their destroyed prey. Screechers seem to be ignored by Screamers for reasons unknown, as the latter will often attack any living being in sight.

They are often likened to large, eyeless ravens.
Last edited by Ayvalon on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:43 am

This is very interesting, also, I don't necessarily agree with rule 4 but, I didn't brought any lucky charms with myself so I won't dispute it
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

BettaMin
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby BettaMin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:31 am

This seems really interesting! I'll be submitting an app soon.

Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby 73333 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 am

can we have characters under the age of 13?

Sudbrazil
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sudbrazil » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:45 pm

73333 wrote:can we have characters under the age of 13?

I don't understand why people these days want toddlers running alongside highly-trained death squads and special forces units.

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Sudbrazil wrote:
73333 wrote:can we have characters under the age of 13?

I don't understand why people these days want toddlers running alongside highly-trained death squads and special forces units.

This more or less sums up my feelings on 99% of such settings in this genre. I can understand it in some Post-Apoc settings (after all, lifes hell) but not here, so to answer your question 73333, not just no but absolutely no.

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:38 pm

A solid question was brought to my attention:

"When we say exoskeletons, what kind've gear do Rackers pack? are we talking "Modern" exoskeletons or suits akin to Ironman or Mjolnir ala Halo's Spartans?"

I usually equate the latter with the phrase "Power Armor", as Exoskeletons are, in my mind, essentially the prototypes to such elaborate war-suits.

Rackers wear a Servo-Mechanically enhanced frame designed to enhance the wearer's physical strength and stamina substantially, allowing them to move faster (Upwards of 60 MPH) for longer periods of time than the average person. Such suits are battery powered, but the charge will hold up to strenuous use (Constant movement and even full strain on the suit's power system) for up to and exceed a week. Collapsible solar panels can be fitting to the suit in the field, extending this to some degree

Racker frames are capable of dead-lifting 9,000 lbs (roughly 4082 kg for our metric readers) and possibly more with the right modifications. The suit itself is 'up-armored' from pre-war designs, while not a fully enclosed suit itself, armor plating along the torso and limbs exists capable of withstanding small-arms and even anti-material rifle fire.

Armaments are typically belt-fed MGs as mentioned before, usually .75 caliber pattern weapons on the arms, shoulder and mounted weapons include grenade launchers, missile pods and flame throwers. Some patterns exchange one of the arm-mounted MGs for a large shield for the wearer's protection and to serve as cover for other Grounder troops.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:31 pm

How much communication between towers is there?
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:27 am

Grenartia wrote:How much communication between towers is there?

Communication between say a tower in Orlando and Seattle is unlikely on the best of days, but towers carry messages so that contact would call say a Denver tower who passes it on to Dallas then Orlando. Trade also carries mail and gossip from tower to tower as well via VTOL aircraft.

That said, regular comms between each tower is pretty frequent. Reports on needs of each tower and random chatter as well are almost constant. Trade may not come daily but is frequent enough that even if comms towers from one locale to another can't reach their exact destination, everyone talks to each other.
Last edited by Ayvalon on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Giving this a nudge.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:01 am

Ayvalon wrote:Giving this a nudge.

Currently unable to app

Skaldia
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skaldia » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:16 am

Sign me up
||Empty||
||“The lesson of history is that no one learns.”
||Empty||
||“Witness.”||
||“Chaos needs no allies, for it dwells like a poison in every one of us.”

TG for Discord

Backatri
Envoy

Founded: Mar 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Backatri » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:13 am

Definitely will be putting an app up, but I just wanted to real quick ask what level of tech we're at? What's the typical loadout for, say, a tower security guard? Obviously this is post modern, but I was wondering how far tech is advanced?

EDIT: Never mind, just read the app. What tower is this RP set at/around?
Last edited by Backatri on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Card Carrying Member of the adhouse|Proud Member of the GIA

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Backatri wrote:Definitely will be putting an app up, but I just wanted to real quick ask what level of tech we're at? What's the typical loadout for, say, a tower security guard? Obviously this is post modern, but I was wondering how far tech is advanced?

EDIT: Never mind, just read the app. What tower is this RP set at/around?

We'll be starting at Tower 205, somewhere in the midwest, haven't decided on a precise location as of yet. I was actually intending to make a thread yesterday evening specifically for lore to make it easier to flip through at a glance for the lore I have thusfar, thankyou for reminding me.

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:09 pm

I've been silent for the most part to see if any further interest would grow, I'm putting the finishing touches on the early stages of our Lore thread now.

The Japanese Americans
Envoy

Founded: Jun 24, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Japanese Americans » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 am

This seems interesting. A definite tag, for sure. Thinking of going for a Grounder, and hopefully any lucky charms I give him will ward off the rabid squirrels.
I'm an autistic 19 year old who used to read a library's worth of books.

Call me JA. It's easier than typing out Japanese Americans.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:17 am

Boy, I forgot about it a little, going to start the work on app today ( hopefully ) unless there is a blackout and I'm rendered without internet

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:55 pm

Endem wrote:Boy, I forgot about it a little, going to start the work on app today ( hopefully ) unless there is a blackout and I'm rendered without internet

Will be watching with interest for what you come up with, continuing work on the lore page, is there anything folks would like me to refine/flesh out in particular? While I enjoy world-building in all it's forms it'd be better to focus on topics folks are curious about for now.
Last edited by Ayvalon on Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:34 pm

By the way, I think the RP would probably benefit from a bigger list of mutants

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:40 pm

Endem wrote:By the way, I think the RP would probably benefit from a bigger list of mutants

Noted, will expand on them, added a few entries for now.

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:12 pm

giving this a nudge.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Ayvalon wrote:giving this a nudge.

I keep forgetting, if I don't post my app in five days tg me

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:50 am

WIP, I have troubles making backstory

Name: Andrew Scott

Nationality: American

Personality:

Appearance:

Unique features: Missing a piece of pinky, ring and middle finger of the left hand

System Role: Hacker

Weapons: a small SMG type of weapon, a multipurpose knife and a half automatic pistol

Equipment: backpack, with 5 day's food and water rations as well as a first aid kit, sleeping system, gasmask and protection gear standard, some pendrives with preprogrammed programs helping him get into various computer system and a wrench

Personal items: a small golden necklace and a silver ring, both having a simple circle with a line in the middle that only Andrew knows the meaning of.

Biography: (No less than 2 paragraphs)

RP Example:

Theme song:

Further Examination: N
Last edited by Endem on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse