NATION

PASSWORD

PENUMBRA RP (OOC, REBOOT)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

PENUMBRA RP (OOC, REBOOT)

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:12 pm

PENUMBRA, a Peacekeepers reboot A flicker of light amidst the shadows - brought to you by the Knockout Gun Gals (with some contributions from Tiltjuice, Cylarn, and Mincaldenteans)

OP : The Knockout Gun Gals
CO-OP : Tiltjuice

The Group

The real world takes the shine off a badge and the crease off a uniform real quick. Out there, everything’s different; white’s the hardest color to keep clean, right?

Right.

But that doesn’t stop us from doing what’s right. Even if we’re retired, even if we’re invalided out, or even if we heard the call of the wild and the almighty dollar, we’re here to go where no one else will, and do what no else can. With a megacorporation behind us, we’ve an open tab and any kind of toy to play with - as long as we deliver.

So that’s just what we’re gonna do, yeah?

Yeah.

So pick your poison, friends.

Sharp Focus - the ironmongers. Ex-military, police, and so on. If it shoots, shocks, stuns or slices, these people use it. K&R, exec protection, red teaming, what have you.
Panorama - the dirty tricks and black bag men and women. Bugs, honeytraps, blackmail. Some of their targets might prefer dealing with Sharp Focus instead.
Afterimage - the cleanup and support team. Travel, psych profiling, mission control (the people in the van).

The Cases

There are four (so far). Take a number and stand in line, awaiting the curtain’s rise…

In other words, this is a noir RP, open-ended after those four are done, and the storylines are being kept a surprise to preserve the mystery. Please do use this thread to come up with more, whatever you want to do at wherever you want to go.

The Application
Code: Select all
[i]NAME[/i] - 
[i]GENDER[/i] - 
[i]BIRTHPLACE[/i] - 
[i]APPEARANCE[/i] - 
[i]DESIRED TEAM[/i][b] (player’s choice)[/b] - 
[i]PREVIOUS PROFESSION[/i] -  If app for Sharp Focus or Panorama, list former qualifying military service branch or LEA/police department in as little or as much detail as you want.
[i]CHARACTER PROFILE[/i] - 1 to 3 paragraphs or series of bullet points, open-ended, on anything from basic personality to speech patterns and accent to drink order to favorite off-work pastimes. Literally whatever you want to put here, as long as it helps bring the character to life in your head and in your posts. Adding more info here helps keep the rest of the app “cleaner” and more streamlined so to say. [i]RP EXAMPLE[/i] - 

The Rules
I. Have fun.
II. Only one character per player for depth and development.
III. Godmodding, powergaming, flaming, and other similar malicious actions are prohibited.
IV. Noir involves blood and gore, language, violence, sex, etc. Still, make sure it’s within NS rules. Nothing over the top. V. Take time to write solid, longer posts. Paint the medium, set the stage, show the thoughts ‘n’ reactions, yadda yadda. VI. I expect everyone to do at least a modicum of research into the setting (or at least at least build off of the details in others’ posts).
VII. No one is perfect. Your character should have at least one weakness.
VIII. The IC is going to jump right into the first mission to keep the RP from getting stuck. You may want to arrange your character’s details accordingly, as in are they new or have been with the group for a while so they know a few people.
Last edited by The Knockout Gun Gals on Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Reserved
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Reserved

Ayvalon
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayvalon » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:06 pm

Speaking as someone not from the reboot, what genre/tech are we looking at here?

The Great Swedish Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Swedish Empire » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:58 am

Intrested...
Stuff. Just stuff.

The Verdantderm Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Verdantderm Lands » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:53 am

NAME - Anichka Lebed' (codename, “China Girl”)
GENDER - Female
BIRTHPLACE - Town of Abagaytay, Zabaykalsky District, Russian Federation
APPEARANCE - (see right) Eurasian female, only slightly taller than average, slender, dark hair, lightly tanned complexion, dark eyes, apparent age of mid twenties.
DESIRED TEAM - Panorama
PREVIOUS PROFESSION - Agent, Foreign Intelligence Service (Russian)

CHARACTER PROFILE - Anichka Lebed' was born in a small town in the Russian Federation, near the border to the People’s Republic of China. She was an attractive and bright child, consistently getting top marks in her classes at a level equal to students that were older by a year. At the age of eleven, she was noticed by a Foreign Intelligence Service bureaucrat who was in the area, looking to recruit young Russian girls (that might pass as Asians). Her parents were informed that it was their patriotic duty to surrender their daughter for the greater good of the Russian Federation and Anichka accompanied him to her new boarding school. Anichka never fully got over the pain of that separation and has a special hatred for parents who betray their children.

Over her years at ‘school’, Anichka became a fluent and literate in English, French, German, Mandarin and Spanish, along with her native Russian. It takes a very finely trained ear to notice any hint of an accent in her speaking. Other subjects taught there included dancing, the use of (and defense against) electronic surveillance devices, the uses of various drugs, emergency medicine, memorization techniques, firearms, knives, martial arts, secretary skills, sleight of hand and seduction.

When Anichka ‘graduated’ she served in a number of embassies, often checking on the loyalties of Russian embassy personnel. Less frequently, she worked to entangle people from other lands in the snare of the Foreign Intelligence Service. Her involvement in the Megacorp began when high level Russian Bureaucrats, being blackmailed by the Megacorp, ‘arranged’ for her to become a deep agent within the Megacorp.

RP EXAMPLE – Tales of Aorda https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=449111
“Give my people plenty of beer, good beer, and cheap beer, and you will have no revolution among them.”
-- Queen Victoria

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:33 am

Ayvalon wrote:Speaking as someone not from the reboot, what genre/tech are we looking at here?

We're looking at MT, with may or may not few inclusions of PMT equipment (prototype, sort of those things).

The Verdantderm Lands wrote:
NAME - Anichka Lebed' (codename, “China Girl”)
GENDER - Female
BIRTHPLACE - Town of Abagaytay, Zabaykalsky District, Russian Federation
APPEARANCE - (see right) Eurasian female, only slightly taller than average, slender, dark hair, lightly tanned complexion, dark eyes, apparent age of mid twenties.
DESIRED TEAM - Panorama
PREVIOUS PROFESSION - Agent, Foreign Intelligence Service (Russian)

CHARACTER PROFILE - Anichka Lebed' was born in a small town in the Russian Federation, near the border to the People’s Republic of China. She was an attractive and bright child, consistently getting top marks in her classes at a level equal to students that were older by a year. At the age of eleven, she was noticed by a Foreign Intelligence Service bureaucrat who was in the area, looking to recruit young Russian girls (that might pass as Asians). Her parents were informed that it was their patriotic duty to surrender their daughter for the greater good of the Russian Federation and Anichka accompanied him to her new boarding school. Anichka never fully got over the pain of that separation and has a special hatred for parents who betray their children.

Over her years at ‘school’, Anichka became a fluent and literate in English, French, German, Mandarin and Spanish, along with her native Russian. It takes a very finely trained ear to notice any hint of an accent in her speaking. Other subjects taught there included dancing, the use of (and defense against) electronic surveillance devices, the uses of various drugs, emergency medicine, memorization techniques, firearms, knives, martial arts, secretary skills, sleight of hand and seduction.

When Anichka ‘graduated’ she served in a number of embassies, often checking on the loyalties of Russian embassy personnel. Less frequently, she worked to entangle people from other lands in the snare of the Foreign Intelligence Service. Her involvement in the Megacorp began when high level Russian Bureaucrats, being blackmailed by the Megacorp, ‘arranged’ for her to become a deep agent within the Megacorp.

RP EXAMPLE – Tales of Aorda https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=449111

I say this is neat. Accepted. Welcome aboard!

The Verdantderm Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Verdantderm Lands » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:03 pm

HAPPY
4th of
July!
Last edited by The Verdantderm Lands on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Give my people plenty of beer, good beer, and cheap beer, and you will have no revolution among them.”
-- Queen Victoria

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:45 am

HAPPY
4th of
July!

Thanks! Did you have fun?
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

The Verdantderm Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Verdantderm Lands » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:
HAPPY
4th of
July!

Thanks! Did you have fun?

Fireworks and Earthquakes! Lots of fun!
-- Queen Victoria

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:46 pm

Well, I'm not familiar with the original iteration of this RP, but it certainly sounds like my cup of tea.

NAME - Dr Luther Augustus Carrington
GENDER - Male
BIRTHPLACE - Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England
APPEARANCE - See image
DESIRED TEAM - Panorama
PREVIOUS PROFESSION - Professor of Ancient History at Oxford University, archaeologist, and black market antiques dealer.
CHARACTER PROFILE - Born to a family of moderately successful wine merchants in Shrewsbury, Luther Augustus Carrington's childhood was spent alternating between classical education and embarking on trips abroad to learn about the family business, that he might one day take over at its head. Mainly journeying to Portugal and France, Luther became fluent in both languages, as well as Latin and Ancient Greek from his studies. He proved competent at business, but showed little to no enthusiasm for his family's trade; his ambitions went far beyond that - he desired wealth, certainly, but more than that he wished to truly understand the secrets of the distant past, to uncover and amass long-forgotten knowledge. At 18, Luther enrolled at Oxford University to read History, a subject in which he showed particular promise, and was clearly where his true passion lay - along with fencing, which he took up while at university and proved to be a remarkably quick learner, if more than a little underhanded in his technique.

Having graduated with flying colours, and subsequently acquired a Master's degree and a PhD in ancient history, Luther spent the next few years authoring a number of successful academic works on subjects from ancient Mesopotamian religion to Egyptian architecture, becoming a well-respected name amongst historians of the ancient world. Eventually, he was offered a teaching post at Oxford, and not too long after became a fully-fledged professor. Throughout this time, Luther was also continuing to forge quite a reputation for himself through several expeditions to the Middle East, including the famed discovery and excavation of the long-lost city of Akkad and the supposedly cursed tomb of its last king Shu-turul, from which Luther brought back enough artifacts to fill several rooms of the British Museum.

Alas, greed got the better of Professor Carrington, and ruthless ambition overrode good practice and good sense. After several more archeological digs, unearthing forgotten wonders and treasures beyond belief, a handful of his fellow expedition members astutely observed that surprisingly few of said treasures ever seemed to make it back home. A covert investigation was launched, and revealed that Luther had been routinely selling artifacts of immense historical value to the highest bidder. Promptly stripped of his professorship, Luther managed to flee to Switzerland, where he remained until the case against him was mysteriously dropped - some say due to a series of considerable bribes from Carrington's many satisfied customers.

Disgraced among his scholarly peers, unable to find work in academia again, and thoroughly bored of leading a life without fulfilment - despite still having the ill-gotten funds to live more than comfortably - Carrington decided he would get in touch with a contact high up in an influential megacorporation, from whom he managed to secure a role for himself that would give him the thrill he so desired, as well as putting his considerable talents to good use - and that would perhaps even offer some measure of redemption to a man so far fallen from grace.

RP EXAMPLE - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=403789 (Magni Kastilia was a puppet of mine.)
Formerly New Aerios, Est. 2012.
I don't use NS stats, here's my perpetually WIP factbooks.
Obligatory Political Compass:
Econ: 3.88 (R), Soc: -4.97 (L)
Civil Libertarian, Monarchist, Decentralist, Economic Localist, Englishman.
Old posts not necessarily representative of current views.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:10 pm

Welcome aboard! o/

The original (actually, more than one) is Tito's, all questions should go to him.
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
mumblemumblemumble

The Verdantderm Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Verdantderm Lands » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:26 pm

Okay, I'm glad people are interested but I don't get Dr Luther Augustus Carrington.

Maybe he's a confidence man?
-- Queen Victoria

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:04 am

The Verdantderm Lands wrote:Okay, I'm glad people are interested but I don't get Dr Luther Augustus Carrington.

Sort of. I was unsure whether Panorama or Afterimage was a better fit tbh. Essentially, investigation, deception, and research/intel, but I fancied making a character that was a little unconventional.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:05 am

Kragholm Free States wrote:
The Verdantderm Lands wrote:Okay, I'm glad people are interested but I don't get Dr Luther Augustus Carrington.

Sort of. I was unsure whether Panorama or Afterimage was a better fit tbh. Essentially, investigation, deception, and research/intel, but I fancied making a character that was a little unconventional.

Unconventional is awesome. :D

Stories can always be made to fit characters, no?
mumblemumblemumble

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:28 pm

NAME - Mabel Moran
GENDER - Female
BIRTHPLACE - Ballina, County Mayo, Ireland
APPEARANCE - See image.
DESIRED TEAM - Afterimage
PREVIOUS PROFESSION - Film industry location scout.
CHARACTER PROFILE - One of 3 children of a lower-middle class family, she grew up a happy child in a close-knit environment. As the middle child, she dodged most of her parents’ expectations and had the most independence to feel out what she wanted to do. Said goal happened to be leaving school at 19 and joining the Garda Síochána, going through the Garda College and serving in the Mounted Unit. It was in her third year that she was the victim of a traffic collision while on patrol. Medically discharged with a permanent limp and a case of PTSD, she was offered a job in the film industry by a sympathetic relative.

Her handicaps, and the methods she used to deal with them, meant she didn’t last long as a location scout. Despite the difficulties she faced in traveling with the limp, however, the quality of the work she’d done before forced to quit and her background as an ex-cop drew the attention of an influential megacorporation with a demand for very specific skill sets. Hoping to make something of herself again, and maybe indulge her wanderlust as well, she asked where to sign.
RP EXAMPLE - I don’t have one in recent memory I’m proud of. I’m here to let my work stand on its own, hopefully the slower pace helps.
mumblemumblemumble

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:01 pm

NAME - Alexander Hartman
GENDER - Male
BIRTHPLACE - 28th August, 1970, Montreal
APPEARANCE - Image
DESIRED TEAM (player’s choice) - Afterimage
PREVIOUS PROFESSION - Canadian Secret Intelligence Service
CHARACTER PROFILE -

Born in Montreal, his family comes from a diverse background. His father was a military veteran, served in the Army for more than 30 years. His mother was a doctor, and both of his twin elder brothers worked for construction company and as a lawyer, respectively. He was more dedicated on the management role, however, being more than likely to join law firm or intelligence service.

After graduated with Law degree, he joined CSIS, where he shined on the administration and bureaucracy, but lacks the certain skills needed for field management. Therefore, he was more or less stuck in the support role. But he's great at pointing out things in missions as supporting role, mission control, the likes. A little bit of introvert does help far. In any case, he developed a fine skill as mission control, management, back role. He resigned from CSIS when he was 43 and since then, he went around the world to look for freelance jobs, until an old friend put him with a contact with an influential megacorp, which he took.
RP EXAMPLE - I'm the OP
Last edited by The Knockout Gun Gals on Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Thanks for your patience, guys. IC should be up this weekend.
mumblemumblemumble

The Verdantderm Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Verdantderm Lands » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:56 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:Thanks for your patience, guys. IC should be up this weekend.

Okey-Dokey!
-- Queen Victoria

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:05 pm

This seems kind of interesting. And it looks like a character who can be more on the sharp end so to speak is needed as well so that's probably what I'll be doing
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:Thanks for your patience, guys. IC should be up this weekend.

Noice

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:32 am

Dayganistan wrote:This seems kind of interesting. And it looks like a character who can be more on the sharp end so to speak is needed as well so that's probably what I'll be doing

Neato.
mumblemumblemumble

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Sorry about that folks. I'm rusty as a co-OP. IC is up here - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=468701

Dayganistan, how's the app coming? Lookin' forward to it.

Also, for anyone interested, Chittagong is apparently Bangla rock central, so that's why that's in there. Also, Tito told me MT/PMT tech, and given it's noir I didn't wanna get bogged down in an exact timeframe with a named song. But if you wanna have your char get their own take on the music, here it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahaji

The ones that Mabel preferred are these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh8TodaNPqA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60M4NlUuSD0
Last edited by Tiltjuice on Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mumblemumblemumble

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:Dayganistan, how's the app coming? Lookin' forward to it.

Probably coming within 24 hours, was pretty distracted by work all week
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

The Verdantderm Lands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Verdantderm Lands » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:48 am

Post up. :)

Hi, Tiltjuice. Telegram me with some notions of where you want things to go. Then I can make more complete posts. :hug:
-- Queen Victoria

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse