NATION

PASSWORD

Shores: Homecoming (Closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Iridencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Iridencia » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:10 pm

Willow was surprised, though not particularly concerned, by Amanda’s description of America. He had no special opinion of the place, it was just a nation occasionally mentioned by the various humans around him in passing. Hardly any different from just another random mythical kingdom on a map somewhere, in his mind. Still, it was a sober reminder to not get too comfortable with his status among the human race… Willow was still a fairly bizarre outsider to them, no matter how used he had become to their presence.

Heh, kind of crazy to think about, the young stallion thought to himself, bemused, as a flashback of his initial reaction to meeting the tall, hairless monkey race crossed his thoughts. All the screaming, flailing, begging Sterling to incinerate Giovenith (he had to suppress a slight chuckle at that bit, knowing how absurd it was now in hindsight). They’d basically been monsters to him once upon a time, and now their differences barely registered at all.

This musing was cut short by Amanda’s question in regard to firearms and self-defense, which caught him off guard. “I- hm.” He narrowed his brow, internally exploring his reaction. What was the difference? Willow didn’t consider himself morally averse to violence, at least no more so than any average person was. He was capable of it, if needed (he thought back to their last battle with the putti), though not necessarily competent.

“I don’t know,” Willow admitted, with a slight shrug. “I guess, they just… I mean, no offense, but they just strike me as so excessive. I’m not saying they objectively are…” He quickly clarified. “... just that, I’ve always only ever seen them used in some pretty destructive ways. And most ponies don’t really have the ability to kill someone instantly and directly that way, not without a lot of hassle anyway, so…” He shook his head. “I guess it basically is an emotional reaction. Having that kind of direct, massive power feels overwhelming.”

“Everybody’s got a little bit of starlight in them,” Giovenith insisted, rolling down her sleeves. “Nobody who we were created by, we’re still all here, together, in the same world.”

“Same universe,” Toola gently corrected, with a smile.

“Oh, yes, I guess so!” the young god laughed, putting a hand to her head. “That would be more accurate, wouldn’t it? Considering.” The levity of the moment seemed to pass for her though, as her excited and satisfied expression melted to that of concern. Her hand moved toward the center of her face, stopping near her mouth, as she looked back at Sandy. “I am really happy for you, Sandy, and you are very special no matter what shape you’re in, but… you will be careful, won’t you? Special families often come with special expectations.”

It seemed like something she might have already said, but there was still a temptation to repeat it. Even by the silly, happy Gio’s standards, sometimes it seemed as though Sandy could be a bit too optimistic about what he was facing down. She didn’t know if it was appropriate to voice, but she definitely worried about him sometimes….

“Well maybe Sandy has his own expectations of his new family,” Toola chimed, trotting away from the godling’s side, around the human man, and up to the statue. “After all, if you really believe in family loyalty, then it’s got to go both ways.” She gestured to the piece. “And besides, you can’t stand in the way of the artist’s inner fire.”

“Well, I don’t know about that…” Giovenith wasn’t sure how to press that the Olympians made standing in people’s way unnecessarily into a bit of an art in itself.

“Of course! He just took down a conspiracy against the Big Apple today, didn’t he?” She jabbed a hoof into the air. “Big hearts, big stars, and big dreams, that’s what makes this world go round! It’s the purpose of the fire. It’s what every pony in this museum lived and died for. So! What will you live and die for, Sandy? How do you plan to burn yourself into history?” She said with such a bombastic, beckoning tone, as if she were calling the two to arms. “Or you, Giovenith? If you are a Princess, then how do you plan to rule?”

Now Giovenith was put on the spot. Fair was fair, she supposed. But interestingly enough, an answer didn’t immediately come to her.

“Whatever my mother wishes,” she offered, in an almost uncertain tone.

“Oh Gio,” Toola tilted her head. “I love my mother too, but you don’t have to do what she wants forever.”

”You don’t have to.” The correction had a bit of heaviness to it. The weight of the fact that yes, Giovenith, unlike most others, did have to obey her mother literally for all eternity.

“But surely she wants you to find your own way?”

“Yes,” she admitted, hesitantly. “Some of it.”

“So what is that way?”

Giovenith was silent for a moment. She looked briefly at Sandy, then back to Toola Roola. “I guess I just want… to make sure people are safe and happy. That’s not really ambitious, I know, but… that’s always been what mattered most to me. I’m not really sure if I even care if my existence is acknowledged by the followers, I don’t really want anything from them either…”

“No pretty crown?”

“No.” Suddenly seeming to remember where they were, Giovenith cupped her hands around her mouth, as if to share a secret. “Have you guys ever heard of Thomas Kinkade?”

“Explain?” Of course, a pony had never heard of a human painter.

“He made these cute little paintings of cottages with flowers, and light, and rainbows,” Giovenith explained. “Everybody hates them, because they’re kitsch. And I guess they’re right, but… more than anything, I’ve always wanted to live in one of those paintings!” It was truly blasphemy to say in the temple to the modern high art, and she seemed to know it. “And have others live with me, safe and sound, and nothing unfair ever happens to them again. I can make sure it doesn’t, because I’ll have… power.” She lifted her fists up in front of her, quizzically. “... Is that wrong to want?” It was a sincere question.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:28 pm

September 10th
Equestrian Museum of Modern Art
Manehatten, Equestria

Iridencia wrote:Willow['s] musing was cut short by Amanda’s question in regard to firearms and self-defense, which caught him off guard. “I- hm. [...] I don’t know,” Willow admitted [..."]And most ponies don’t really have the ability to kill someone instantly and directly that way, not without a lot of hassle anyway, so…” He shook his head. “I guess it basically is an emotional reaction. Having that kind of direct, massive power feels overwhelming.”

Amanda nodded solemnly. "It's not fair to ask for an answer if you've never thought about it before."

She looked thoughtfully at Willow: how well did he understand what his friend and roommate could do if she put her mind to it? Probably no better than Amanda herself did. "But since you're worried about the amount of power guns can provide..."

She knelt down to get closer to Willow's height, and made her voice as gentle as should could. "Be careful when you ask Giovenith for paper weapons. She's a goddess. A young goddess, true, and nothing like your Princesses yet, but Sandy says she's very powerful already. And she's your friend. She might give you something more dangerous than you expect. You may have to tell her the sort of power you're looking for."

Iridencia wrote:“Everybody’s got a little bit of starlight in them,” Giovenith insisted, rolling down her sleeves. [...] “I am really happy for you, Sandy, and you are very special no matter what shape you’re in, but… you will be careful, won’t you? Special families often come with special expectations.”

That brought a smile to Sandy's face: to call the Olympians 'special' was the biggest understatement since the first Creator made a universe. "To paraphrase Leo Tolstoy, one of our writers, 'Functional pantheons are all alike, each dysfunctional pantheon is dysfunctional in its own way.' The Olympians and the Titanes appear to deserve their bad reputations, but..." He raised a cautionary finger. "The legend I know about Hades and Persephone differs from the truth in several vital ways.

"One advantage of being backstage at that ceremony is that I got to see Minos lead his boss away in tears after Persephone returned to Her mother for the growing season. And the official word from Nyx's sons is that Persephone always puts on a brave face for the procession, because the feeling is mutual. That's not what I was led to believe."

He turned to Toola. "Sorry for the mysterious names and events. Those are some of the Olympians, and the legend is one of their many interactions. I can tell you the story if you want."

And then Sandy paused, rubbing the back of his head while he considered what he knew of his patrons. He returned to Giovenith. "Perhaps the Princesses... or, um, your older siblings... could tell me more about Their interactions with Olympus. All I can say about that is that Cel-- Princess Celestia gets along well enough with Hades to rent part of Tartaros from Him."

Iridencia wrote:[Toola] jabbed a hoof into the air. “Big hearts, big stars, and big dreams, that’s what makes this world go round! It’s the purpose of the fire. It’s what every pony in this museum lived and died for. So! What will you live and die for, Sandy? How do you plan to burn yourself into history?”

Sandy couldn't help but laugh with that. "In some sense, I'm already part of my world's history. The story is a bit long, but the shortest possible – the most condensed version – is that some friends and I traveled into my world's past and rescued a few hundred books that would have been lost in a fire over two thousand years ago.

"Proving to historians of my day that I actually did that may be a bit challenging, because time travel isn't thought possible back home. At least not by many people. But the ones who do know – other spellcasters – will happily take what I saved, and--" She shook his head sharply. "No, what I've learned, what I've synthesized with what I've saved, with what I've learned here... and what I've learned other places... and made the greatest advances in magic theory in over a century. They will remember me!" He wore a huge smile.

"Your Princesses will remember me. Giovenith will remember me. So will a very few of the Olympians. Perhaps, in time, I'll show others Pegasus, and he'll be remembered for me."

Sandy's eyes sparkled. "And other things may yet come. But I'm not one to count his chickens before they hatch. You'll just have to wait. Or help."

Iridencia wrote:“He made these cute little paintings of cottages with flowers, and light, and rainbows,” Giovenith explained. “[B]ut… more than anything, I’ve always wanted to live in one of those paintings! [...] And have others live with me, safe and sound, and nothing unfair ever happens to them again. I can make sure it doesn’t, because I’ll have… power.” She lifted her fists up in front of her, quizzically. “... Is that wrong to want?” It was a sincere question.

"It's a good thing to want," Sandy answered, smiled now a small grin: hopefully, the young goddess will keep part of that innocence throughout eternity. "And unlike most of us, you may be able to make that happen."
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Iridencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Iridencia » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:47 am

Willow made an odd face at Amanda's warnings, seemingly going through a quick succession of emotions. Protest, then skepticism, then consideration, then ambivalence. They reflected the thoughts of someone who clearly didn't quite see what she was seeing, but never-the-less, he answered:

"I'll keep that in mind, thank you Amanda," he said. "I guess it is true, and I should be more specific when I ask. It's just..." He paused, considering his words carefully. "... it's not that you're not right, it's just that I've always felt like people maybe see Geo-puzzle as a bit more than she really is, sometimes. Not like she's not a great girl, just that... I saw the way everyone used to come to her for advice, or favors, or accuse her of things she didn't say or do, when really she's not that much different from the rest of us. She's still scared, and clueless, and vulnerable in a lot of ways too, that I don't think being what she is makes up for."

He shrugged, seeming to have a mini epiphany.

"I guess that's initially why I stuck with her for long," Willow admitted. "I wanted to make sure there was somebody who thought of her as a girl first and not a goddess, and protect her from people who didn't see that. But I guess you're right that maybe that's kind of overshadowed my own view... I don't know, I'll have to think about it. Thanks for bringing it up though, I do appreciate it."

“Hm, not bad, Beach Boy,” Toola hummed with a smile and a flip of her tail. “Just remember to never rest on your laurels! Gotta keep that fire hot and always burning.”

She hopped down from her elevated spot with a dramatic flourish.

“And in time, and in time, we will all be stars!” she quoted, lifting a foreleg into the air. She swept the raised hoof over her hair. “And no one sings the body electric louder than me. Now how’s about the rest of us get some real electric in us?”

“What do you mean?” Giovenith blinked.

Giovenith soon discovered what Toola meant when she was blinded by the many twinkling lights of Warble’s secret exclusive club. She oooo’d at the silvery aura of the place, somehow a cross between steely urbanism and ethereal fairy dreams, with all the mirrors, bubbles, and bent metallic pieces. While most of the decorations inside were devoid of color, this wound up serving a purpose in spreading the multi-colored lights coming from the overlook of the city that was visible from tall windows in nearly every direction.

“Warble said he had the windows painted with that stuff that makes you able to see through them on the inside but not the out,” Toola explained. “Since he doesn’t want this to be a place ponies squabble to get into, just his total control over the vibe.”

“The energy is kind of different tonight,” Willow observed, noting the slightly more erratic than usual movements and dancing of the somewhat large crowd that had gathered.

“Are we supposed to be here?” asked Giovenith. “What even is this place?”

“Yeah, Warble already told me he wanted you guys here some time,” Willow confirmed. “It’s basically just his private hang-out spot where he only invites ponies he likes.”

As if on cue, Warble himself appeared: lowered down from an unknown section of ceiling rafters crouched on a small swing no less. He hopped off, and the swing was pulled back up into the darkness. Warble’s hair was dyed a striking electric green today.

“Streaksssssss…” he greeted in a beckoning tone and smile, holding out a foreleg as if Willow was a small nephew he wanted to come hug him. He glanced to the opposite side of the group. “And Roola? Oh… hooow veryyyyy… unexpected. But you’ve brought your talls! Very goooood, I have missed you so.”

“Seems like an excited crowd tonight, Warble,” Willow remarked. “Got a new band playing?”

“Mmmmno, just the usual,” Warble nodded toward the shiny stage where the same group as last time played. “It’s ciiiiiider season.”

The young gray stallion cocked his head. “That’s not till a couple of days.”

“I keep deep address books, Streaks,” Warble hummed, patting his own cheek, almost seemingly bored by the question. This seemed to answer the question to his own satisfaction, as he turned his attention to the humans. “Well look at yoooou, all happening for the city’s love… would yoooou like some cider?”

“Aw yeah, I do!” Toola cheered, excitedly scraping her front hooves against the ground.

Willow hesitated. “I don’t know, maybe Gio shouldn’t be here-”

“Gio is twenty-something, Streaks!” Toola snapped somewhat at him. “It’s up to her.”

“Why couldn’t I be here?” the godling asked. She looked around. “Ohhhhh… you guys are drinking-drinking! You told me about this, you only have alcohol once a year? In the form of apple cider?” Giovenith considered the prospect more, her eyes widening slightly. “Oh, I guess you guys, like… don’t have very high tolerance, do you?”

“Let’s get as bright as the stars in the sky!” Toola cheered.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:13 pm

September 10th
Equestrian Museum of Modern Art
Manehatten, Equestria

Iridencia wrote:[Willow said, "]It's[...] just that I've always felt like people maybe see Geo-puzzle as a bit more than she really is, sometimes. [...] I saw the way everyone used to come to her for advice, or favors, or accuse her of things she didn't say or do, when really she's not that much different from the rest of us. She's still scared, and clueless, and vulnerable in a lot of ways too, that I don't think being what she is makes up for."

Amanda gave Willow an impish smile. "First a dragon, now just a girl, Willow?

"It's worth keeping in mind that she is, in some ways, just like the rest of us. It's also worth keeping in mind that power matters. Scare a housecat, you might get a nasty scratch. Scare a lion...

"Giovenith can do marvelous things that don't hurt anybody, but Sandy thinks... Well, maybe you should ask him directly if you want to know." She stood up, brushing her skirt to sweep off any dust from the floor. "Just be sure you know what she hands you."

Iridencia wrote:Warble hummed, patting his own cheek, almost seemingly bored by the question. This seemed to answer the question to his own satisfaction, as he turned his attention to the humans. “Well look at yoooou, all happening for the city’s love… would yoooou like some cider?”

"Sure, I'll have a glass." Amanda turned to her husband. "And something new for your collection?"

Sandy nodded. "One for me too."

Amanda looked around, searching for familiar faces from the art show or the spa, before facing Warble again. "Who here is worth knowing? Maybe we should make introductions while everybody is still able to stand."

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:12 pm

”Tck, tck!” Warble hissed oddly, tapping a hoof twice against the ground. Two mugs filled with golden bubbling liquid sailed in on unicorn magic from an unseen source, stopping in front of the two older humans.

Three more appeared soon after for the remaining guests. Giovenith reached for hers with a polite smile, which dropped as the drink was intercepted by a frowning Willow, who was then in turn intercepted by an even more frowning Toola. The two of them wordlessly stared daggers at each other for a moment before the godling gently pushed them both away from her and grabbed the mug out of the air.

Giovenith looked between them with a somewhat annoyed expression. “I’m not stupid, I know how alcohol works. I can have it if I want to,” she said, trying to sound firm and sensible. Then, a bit more sympathetically: “I will be careful though, I promise.”

“Come!” Warble declared, parting the crowd like the red sea and marching through the path. “The night awaits!”

Giovenith quickly ran after him. Willow moved to follow her, but was pulled physically back into place by a nip from Toola. “What?” he snapped.

“Leave her alone,” she commanded with a pointed flick of her tail, her tone more gentle and serious. “A lady has to face her own challenges sometimes if she wants to shine in this world.”

Willow was predictably unimpressed with purple prose. “I’m just-”

“Besides, do you think it’s your right to dictate to a Princess what she does?”

This gave the young gray stallion a slight shock that quited him. “... I mean, that’s not really the same thing…” Even he didn’t seem to believe it though.

“Is she a Princess, or is she not?”

“Well, it…” Willow wasn’t used to being cornered by his sworn nemesis’ logic. It didn’t help that his recent conversation with Amanda was fresh in his mind, where she had also pointed out the pitfalls in his tendency to forget the weight of exactly what Giovenith was. “God” was a bit of an easier term to ignore for him, but “Princess”? Technically speaking, even if she wasn’t his Princess…

Toola rolled her eyes and tsked. “You are sooooo co-dependent.”

“And what does that mean?” Willow sighed.

“It means…” Toola pulled him closer and shoved his drink into his hand. “Drink some cider, stop being such a brudder-bear…” She teasingly rubbed into his cheek. “... and enjoy the night.”

He sighed and rolled his eyes. ”Bleh.” But then he took a drink.

Meanwhile, Warble made small talk with the humans, or at least what probably qualified as “small talk” to him, as he guided them through the shiny crowd.

“Mmmmm, you, the pink one,” he addressed Giovenith, gesturing to her to come closer. “I saw your hair at a distance a few times, but I was unsure of what I have seen.”

“Oh?”

“Come closeeeeeer…”

She was careful not to spill her drink as she leaned down for him. He gently grabbed her head and examined her white, choppy tresses closely.

“Hmmmmmm…” the host hummed critically, slightly moving the perplexed godling this way and that. He glowered his glasses to reveal narrowed eyes. “... you have flecks of iridescence.”

“Oh, ha ha… yeah…” Giovenith chuckled, a bit unsure how to answer that.

“How did you accomplish this?”

“Um…” She shrugged his hooves away. “It’s just natural.” It occurred to her that it was a bit odd to think that answer might be unusual to a race of people who had all kinds of rainbow-colored hair.

“Hmf! How tricky,” he huffed, fully releasing her. “I’d wish to make it a shade. Some to help Temple over there in his HATED rivalry with the hack thief bastard.”

“What do you mean?”

Without looking, as if by some psychic knowledge, Warble reached into the crowd and pulled out an Earth pony with a swooping hairstyle, who looked surprised to have been summoned.

“Tell them,” Warble commanded him, pointing to the humans.

“Huh?” The Earth stallion, Temple presumably, was stunned as he blinked up at the humans. “Are these the guests you told us all about? … Oh, you want me to tell them about the superblack controversy?” Warble nodded. Temple sighed, seemingly a bit fatigued by the request, but immediately set up on recounting what sound like a thoroughly rehearsed story to the adventurers:

“About ten years ago, the magicians in Canterlot created a byproduct in their experiments that could absorb so much light, it appeared to create a flat surface on whatever you spread it over,” he explained. “Basically, the blackest black paint possible. They called it massive, like supermassive black hole I guess, right? Anyway, everypony was super excited to use it understandably, until this dickwad named Cloud Gate came along and claimed he had the exclusive rights to use it.”

“Oh, are we talking about the prick?” Willow’s voice came from behind, as he and Toola caught up with the crowd. He said it so casually, as if this was a well understood subject among the class of ponies present. (Not to mention the cider might have been loosening all their lips a bit…)

“You know I saw him near Baltimare like a month ago,” Toola Roola threw in, laughing contemptuously. “Tried to talk to me about my upcoming Inferno series, wanted to know if he could contribute? I laughed in his face, like, what? Like now you want to share, huh?”

Giovenith blinked and shook her head, as if trying to understand this. She looked around at the short beings surrounding her. “... Wait, so he said none of you are allowed to use it? A paint?”

“He said it’s a special ‘collaboration’ with its inventors, so of course they’d expect him to have the exclusive rights,” Temple continued. “Which is a load of crap, obviously, because what, nopony else could collaborate? Anyway, Warble kicked him out from coming back to this place until he stops being a gelding, and me and him have been doing our own collaboration to make exclusive, luxury colors that everypony but him can use.”

“He seems mean,” said Giovenith. “But haven’t you guys tried to like, I don’t know, talk to him?”

“Yes, he told us to screw off. He’s the embodiment of elite gatekeeping – it’s right in his name.” Temple sipped his drink. “So I made my own black paint, called it dark star. Basically identical to our eyes as massive, but available to anyone for much cheaper, ‘cept Cloud Gate of course. And it smells like cherries!”

“Ooo!”

“Yes!” Temple reached into a bag and pulled out a medium-sized tube. “Do you promise to not deliver this into his hooves in any way?”

“Yes!”

He tossed the tube into Giovenith’s hands, who beamed. “Thank you so much! It really looks flat, it’s that black?”

“Absorbs ninety-nine point seven percent of light,” Temple assured.

“That’ll be great! All my favorite boys are covered in black.” She turned to the side and pulled Willow into an embrace as she said this, which elicited small laughs and aww’s from surrounding ponies.

“Seems like you don’t have to reach very far, to be close to your very own dark star,” said a deep, accented voice, as a slightly taller, angled form emerged from the crowd. She stood out from among the ponies, though it took Giovenith a few seconds to piece together why.

“Oh, Zecora!” Willow greeted, words somewhat mushed by Giovenith’s tight embrace. “What are you doing here?”

She was definitely a zebra, though similarly sized to her pony cousins, with a mohawk-like mane, thinner legs, curved eyes, and sporting golden jewelry that stood out among the silvery theme of the rest of the party. Fittingly, she sported a deep black, loose scarf around her own neck for the occasion.

“Willow Streaks, it’s good to meet you here,” she said warmly, again in her musical-sounding accent. To the humans, it would have sounded reminiscent of African accents, though it was hard to place. “And I see you’ve brought humans, and kept them near.”

Of course, she would know what humans are, that didn’t surprise Willow. What did surprise him was her location. “Sorry, I’ve just… never seen you outside of Ponyville before. I thought you didn’t like flashy places like this.”

“It is true like I like my privacy,” the zebra submitted, politely placing her party on a subtle waiter’s mirror-like tray. “But a trip to the city enlightens, even occasionally. Dandy Warble invited me when he came to Ponyville for the cider, I reassured him that I am no stranger to the rare all-nighter.” She carefully approached the humans, looking up at them with a smile. “You must be the strangers from a strange land, hear to see the band? Twilight Sparkle has described you from many adventures, but I didn’t expect Willow Streaks to deploy his own ventures.”
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:12 pm

September 10th
Warble's Club Drinking Party
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:”Tck, tck!” Warble hissed oddly, tapping a hoof twice against the ground. Two mugs filled with golden bubbling liquid sailed in on unicorn magic from an unseen source, stopping in front of the two older humans.

"Oh, thank you kindly!" Amanda sipped her cider. "Mmmm! This is the best cider I've had in-- maybe my whole life!"

Sandy was way ahead of her, having already cast the Wolf's Nose on himself, and was savoring the aroma. He tried a taste, and his face-filling smile said he was beyond satisfied.

"Me, please," and Sandy cast the spell on his wife. Both stood, drinking their wonderful cider, Sandy watching Warble lead Giovenith off, and Amanda listening to Toola and Willow. She nodded at the pair of pony artists, and started walking to them, so Sandy quick-walked to catch up with Warble and Giovenith.

Giovenith wrote:Willow was predictably unimpressed with purple prose. “I’m just-” [...]
“Besides, do you think it’s your right to dictate to a Princess what she does?”[...]Toola pulled him closer and shoved his drink into his hand. “Drink some cider, stop being such a brudder-bear…”

Amanda slowed as she neared Willow and Toola. "This sounds like an interesting discussion. So many important issues: power, autonomy, respect, self-control."

She paused to take another sip, then picked up in a conversational tone, as though she was at a party with a drink in her hand. Which, conveniently, she was. Amanda shifted who she was addressing as she spoke, so her questions wouldn't be too pointed. "Why shouldn't Willow have the right? I do, and the little princess and I have an agreement that limits what both of us do. What's wrong with that? If one of your princesses was doing something wrong, wouldn't you try to stop her?

"And isn't this the best place for Giovenith to try alcohol? She's safe here; there's dozens of us here to help her if she gets in over her head." She gave Willow a familiar look. "One of the first times I went to New York, I got hammered and woke up on a stranger's couch with the devil's own hangover." She shook her head, rueful. "That was a bad idea. I'm lucky nothing happened to me."

"It's also better if Giovenith can't hold her liquor, that she finds out now, before she comes into her full powers and responsibilities. I can understand your concerns, Willow, so if you want, Sandy or I can keep an eye on her."

Giovenith wrote:“About ten years ago, the magicians in Canterlot created a byproduct in their experiments that could absorb so much light, it appeared to create a flat surface on whatever you spread it over,” he explained. “Basically, the blackest black paint possible. [...] Absorbs ninety-nine point seven percent of light,” Temple assured.

Seeing a sign held up off-stage, Sandy pretended not to hear most of the details about the Equestrians' reverse-engineered Vantablack. He was just about to ask Giovenith for a look at the paint in the tube when he spotted a new sort of equid approaching.

Giovenith wrote:[Zecora] carefully approached the humans, looking up at them with a smile. “You must be the strangers from a strange land, hear to see the band? Twilight Sparkle has described you from many adventures, but I didn’t expect Willow Streaks to deploy his own ventures.”

"Twilight...?" Sandy looked puzzled for a moment. "Oh, she's seen humans, not me specifically. Starlight Glimmer would be the one to mention me, since I've visited her a number of times. Being in Ponyville, you might have seen me or my alter ego too. But apparently not." His shoulders raised in a tiny shrug.

"So, hello! My name's Sandy. Willow said I should talk to you. But get a drink first, if you're so inclined." He showed a friendly smile before drinking more of his cider.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:45 pm

The debating ponies turned simultaneously to look up at Amanda, both quiet as they listened and clearly reacting internally in their own ways. Willow’s gaze shifted downward, seemingly in ambivalent thought, while Toola continued to look head on at Amanda, seemingly undisturbed. Their thoughts beyond that were somewhat difficult to read, though it was, at the very least, evident that neither was exactly immediately “clicking” with what she had said.

“A Princess did do something wrong once,” Toola finally answered, simply toned. “Princess Luna, when she tried to take Equestria into the eternal night, before Princess Celestia sent her away. I’m sure it was a very scary time.”

“Well, that is why they called her Nightmare Moon,” Willow remarked quietly, lifting his gaze back.

“I think it’s a bridge you cross when you come to it,” the mare finally admitted, tapping a hoof to her cheek. “Having faith and trust in the Princesses is good for ponies, and they’ve always taken care of us, especially Princess Celestia. I think when you support them, you’re supporting all Equestrians, and you’re supporting the way that Princess Celestia believes in all ponies, so you’re also supporting yourself! Just like the sun supports all life on Earth. Maybe in theory they could do something wrong, but I think until it gets to that point, you should let them do their thing and trust them.”

Willow wasn’t sure how well that would hold up under scrutiny, but being as unappetized by the topic as he was, he passively allowed it to go unargued with. “I guess you’re right about the alcohol,” he said instead, blowing his bangs from his eyes and crossing his forelegs in front of him. “We are all here with her… and it’s not like anypony’s going to have a reason to hurt her.”

“And if they did, they would have to deal with me!” Toola made several forward punching motions with her hooves. ”En avant, à la seconde!”

Willow looked at Amanda. “Sandy and I, uh… saw her beat up some of the ponies messing with us with ballet.”

“It works,” she said, returning to thought with a shrug. “I guess princessology is a complex topic though. I wrote a book all about my views though, you know! Trying to get it more out there since I have a lot of inner truths to share, but publishing is hard. I should give you a copy though!” She directed this at Amanda.

“I tend to keep to myself in Everfree, so if I missed you, here's an apology,” said Zecora, with a smile.

Willow always wondered how she managed to make so much of what she said into a rhyme, and if she ever said anything that wasn’t. They hadn’t had many extended conversations before, so he wasn’t sure. Well, he supposed now was the time to learn.

“Yes, speaking of that,” he said. “My friend here actually had some questions about the Everfree. He thought about heading to Canterlot, but I told him the academics of the capital had nothing on you.”

“Hm, an interest that not many ponies share,” the zebra hummed. It was hard to tell the age of these creatures, but her voice, tone, and movements seemed to suggest that she was a decent few years older than the surrounding crew of more colorful equids the humans had been running with. “They find it chilling, not worth the dare. But what good is a party if you can’t converse? Let’s sit and I promise, you’ll fear no curse.” Here, she smiled somewhat playfully.

Oof, she still remembered how the Ponyvillians initially accused her of being some evil enchantress. She’d never held it against any of them, but still, it must be interesting to encounter another non-pony magic user who wasn’t experiencing the same prejudice as she had.

The small group found themselves at a circular couch near one of the bigger views of the city, Warble clearing the area with a single “TSK!” A few more odd sounds and several treats were offered on silvery trays, some clearly also fermented.

“Have you ever noticed that sometimes, bees will follow you around even when you leave them alone?” Giovenith observed randomly and somewhat loudly. “I don’t get it, you shouldn’t sting me when I left, why? Do you guys ever talk to bees, do you know why?”

Willow widened his eyes and sweated somewhat, concerned. Toola snickered a bit.
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:45 pm

September 10th
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:“Princess Luna, when she tried to take Equestria into the eternal night, before Princess Celestia sent her away. I’m sure it was a very scary time.”

“Well, that is why they called her Nightmare Moon,” Willow remarked quietly, lifting his gaze back.

It took Amanda a moment to recall what they were talking about, and she looked puzzled before it came to her. Ah, yes, the local War in Heaven, complete with a Fall and a Redemption. And they still blindly follow their goddesses...

Giovenith wrote:“I think it’s a bridge you cross when you come to it,” the mare finally admitted, tapping a hoof to her cheek. “Having faith and trust in the Princesses is good for ponies, and they’ve always taken care of us, especially Princess Celestia. [...] Maybe in theory they could do something wrong, but I think until it gets to that point, you should let them do their thing and trust them.”

Amanda's expression shifted from bafflement to neutrality, and by the end she was smiling indulgently at Toola. "I think trying to plunge your country into eternal night is a little beyond 'in theory'. We have an expression at home: 'Trust, but verify". Perhaps a little less trust and a little more verification couldn't hurt here."

Amanda caught Willow's expression and decided to let the topic go. He'd have to come to come to grips with his goddesses' fallibility at some point, but perhaps not now.

Giovenith wrote:Willow looked at Amanda. “Sandy and I, uh… saw [Toola] beat up some of the ponies messing with us with ballet.”

Amanda showed no reaction, but noted that with interest: Sandy was a trained martial artist, and wouldn't have let that one go by. Maybe he didn't see it; maybe whatever she didn't wasn't as impressive to somebody who knew what they were doing.

Giovenith wrote:“It works,” she said, returning to thought with a shrug. “I guess princessology is a complex topic though. I wrote a book all about my views though, you know! [...] I have a lot of inner truths to share, but publishing is hard.["]

A huge smile brightened Amanda's face at Toola's neologism, and she sounded amused. "'Princess-ology?' Toola, if you want to know what your Princesses think, just ask Them. They're very approachable. You could even write Them letters. That works for Sandy."

Amanda smiled at her private joke, but Celestia probably would make the time to answer sincere questions from Her worshippers. A billion worshipers couldn't get a single word out of Jesus, but Toola would doubtless get at least a postcard.

But 'princessology'... what would this woma-- mare think of next! Amanda's smile grew a tiny bit at the thought.

Giovenith wrote:“Hm, an interest [Everfree] that not many ponies share,” the zebra hummed. [...] “They find it chilling, not worth the dare. But what good is a party if you can’t converse? Let’s sit and I promise, you’ll fear no curse.” Here, she smiled somewhat playfully.

"Well, that's a relief." Sandy returned her smile, wondering what sort of magic she worked.

Giovenith wrote:“Have you ever noticed that sometimes, bees will follow you around even when you leave them alone? […] I don’t get it, you shouldn’t sting me when I left, why? Do you guys ever talk to bees, do you know why?”

Willow widened his eyes and sweated somewhat, concerned. Toola snickered a bit.

"I can't say I've ever talked to bees," Sandy replied, playing the straight man, "Dogs, yes. A fox, once. But getting answers usually requires magic."

Amanda continued to have a good time with her evening. "Enjoying your cider, Giovenith?" Amanda drained hers and freshened it from a jug on the table.

Sandy returned his attention to the zebra shaman. "Everfree seems an odd place. It's a tiny pocket in the middle of Equestria where even the Princesses' magic doesn't penetrate. It sings its own Song, one completely different than the ponies' Music. The pegasoi's polyphony isn't Audible there either; Equestria's weather stops at the border. A remarkable display, considering the pegasoi's achievement in harnessing ousia." He leaned back, completely at ease, and laced his fingers behind his head.

"Everfree is also the only nearby source of alchemetical bases. A since a few ponies dare despite apparently lethal risks, I'll bet there's nowhere else they can get them, not even in the other neighboring lands.

"So, I have just two simple questions: what is Everfree, and how does it hold out the Princesses' and ponies' magic?" Sandy's emphasis on the word 'simple' suggested he thought the answers were anything but.
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:48 am

“Well, that would be nice, but it’s a bit silly,” Toola remarked, her expression calm but somewhat hard to read as she held her drink close to her face. “Of course everypony would love to have frequent, extended conversations with the Princesses whenever they want. But Equestria has several million ponies in it, many of them probably just as eager to write to them as anypony else, so millions of letters to sort through? And that’s before taking into account all the work of running the country that they’re busy with. We can’t all expect to get timely replies, if any at all, understandably so.

She sipped her drink. “But if you really care at all, you still want to make sure you do your best to live up to the Princesses’ values, don’t you? Can’t just shamble around life waiting for one of them to tell you what to do with yourself. That’s not what they would want for you, and it’s not what you should want for yourself either. A mother or teacher might guide you, but she isn’t very successful if her children can’t apply her lessons on their own, is she? You still have to figure out what those values mean for you in practice, both for the situation, and for yourself as a unique pony. And when you get into those sorts of questions, that’s where discussion and theory comes in.”

This was a bit more thorough and, well, sensical of an answer than Willow was used to hearing from her. Still, though. “I think everypony knows how they ought to behave.”

“Behave, sure, but living?” She made a face at him. “Living without intention is the quickest way to find yourself slowly making yourself feel lost and miserable. Even if you don’t follow the Princesses, every creature needs values and metrics to guide them, and they need to always be reassessing those things to make sure they’re living well.” She raised a hoof in such a way that might have been reminiscent of her holding a finger in the air knowingly, had she had fingers. “Understanding your values is the difference between wasting another day of your life indoors eating another bag of Cheesie-Crisps while re-reading an old trashy paperback for the fifth time, or going out there and making a real memory that’ll change everything and stay with you till the end. It’s no small or simple task.”

“Well… that’s a lot,” said Willow. All of this had been expressed interspersedly as they made their way through the crowd and to the couch with the rest of the group. “I’m glad you feel strongly about it, if it helps you.”

“You know it could help you too, if you actually listened to it,” she said. It was said with a gentle, somewhat excited tone, rather than a snarky or sarcastic one.

“Ah yes, a beautiful place with a beautiful name, isn’t it? To me, it doesn’t deserve a hush nor a hurried, fearful fit,” said Zecora. “I’m not a native of Equestria, so there’s only so much I can guess. But I’ll tell you what I have seen, no more and no less.”

From her purse, she pulled a small branch of what looked to be nothing more than a pine tree twig. She paused for a long moment, before continuing:

“The Everfree likely slowly came into existence over time,” she said, stroking the twig. “For you see, it is only ponies who control their environment in the way that they do. Other species may have connections to nature, yes, even abilities involving it, but no other race has placed nature completely under its control the way the Equestrians have.”

Zecora’s gaze flickered across the small gathering of ponies, who all now had gazes locked onto her.

“Did you think I couldn’t speak without rhyming?” she asked, grinning in a semi-laugh. Several of the gazes averted. She continued. “The ponies are not true natives to this land though, they didn’t evolve from its soil and air, but from another far away one long lost. They had to make this land accommodate their ways. But unlike in other nations, if the ponies were to simply stop their duties, this land would not revert to taking care of itself again as it once did. It does not rain in Equestria if the pegasi don’t will it, the plants don’t grow if the Earth ponies don’t will it, things simply stop. So, essentially, and I try to say this with as much respect as possible…”

Zecora brought to the twig between her teeth, pulled on it, and stripped it of its needles.

“... over time, they had to have stripped this land of its natural abilities,” she said. “The zebras believe that all nature has a life force and magic to it, even regular nature with seemingly no special qualities, like that in your world. Many cultures have similar ideas, I am sure you know. But I believe that that life force can never be truly destroyed, only redirected…”

“We believe that too,” Giovenith suddenly piped in, leaning her head in with a wide smile at the conversation. “Not the humans, I mean. Well, some of them. But my humans. Our people. My family. It’s what my mother does.”

“You must have a wise mother,” Zecora nodded. “I believe that over time, as the space that the natural force of this land could exist shrunk, it became more and more condensed, and the power it exudes stronger and stronger, until it was such that it could not be encroached on anymore and it started to obtain special properties. Think of it… like when you fold a piece of paper, over and over again. The area space the paper takes up becomes smaller, yes, but with each fold, the paper becomes more difficult to fold again, and the mass that it forms becomes stronger. You can easily poke a pencil through a flat piece of paper, but not so much a large, folded lump.”

“Is that… a bad thing?” Willow folded his ears, not sure whether or not the zebra was judging his species. He wasn’t sure if it was appropriate to defend them if he did.

“I think ‘good or bad’ is a matter for philosophy in this respect,” she answered. “Some might say that nature ought to be left as is, but the Everfree itself is not hurting. It is, as I said, a very special place now, a place of intensity where you can instantly feel and obtain things that would take much more work in other lands. It is the heart of all energy expressed on this Earth magnified. That is partly why I moved there, to study and benefit from it.” She turned to Sandy. “It is probably also, why you say, your “pony music” isn’t heard there. It is like if you took all the different voices of a few individuals and put them into one crowd: The roar of a crowd will drown out another person.”
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:25 am

September 10th
Manehatten, Equestria

[OOC: Toola babbled a bunch of nonsense, and Amanda set her and Willow straight. Details will go here.]

While Sandy continued to lean back, Zecora had his full attention as she spoke; his eyes tracked her every move and gesture. As she went on, he unlaced his fingers and began to rub the back of his head, and his brow furrowed.

Giovenith wrote:“I think ‘good or bad’ is a matter for philosophy in this respect,” she answered. “Everfree itself is not hurting. [...] It is the heart of all energy expressed on this Earth magnified. That is partly why I moved there, to study and benefit from it.” She turned to Sandy. “It is probably also, why you say, your “pony music” isn’t heard there. It is like if you took all the different voices of a few individuals and put them into one crowd: The roar of a crowd will drown out another person.”

Sandy smiled, indulgent, but also charmed, as though he needed somebody to explain his abilities to him. "Yes, I know. I can't Hear Princess Celestia because of Her worshippers closer to me. But the Music is theirs, not mine."

A micropegasus passed nearby; Sandy grabbed something out of the air behind her nearer wing, holding it like it was a thread, pinched between thumbs and forefingers. He put it down on the table near Zecora. "A strand of ousia, as we call unformed magic. In my Vision, it's a fine, sparkling thread of an impossible color. I Hear it as a dull hum. It's a gift we call the Sight, though it can manifest through any sense. If you can tell the ousia is there, you also have the Sight.

"Where I'm from, most magic-workers have the Sight. Elsewhere, it's nearly unknown. In any case, take that strand, and work magic with it, and I can See and Hear what you've done. It will sing a Song to me. It's a convenient ability."

Sandy fell silent, returning to Zecora's comments, and nodding to himself. Then, after most of a minute: "Everfree is a compressed spring, and even the Princesses lack the strength to squeeze it further."

He returned to his previous relaxed pose, but gestured conversationally. "But the rest of what you said … Let's start with the easy parts. You mentioned my world's nature. You've been there?

"And yes, many peoples have similar ideas to yours about nature. In some of those cultures, they use those ideas to work magic, and their spellcasters are called "shamans". Shamanism a very old but very potent way to work magic. I'm told you call yourself a shaman as well. Are you a spellcaster? Is that how you work magic?

"The implications of your analyses of Everfree and Equestria are--" He stopped, and considered his audience: if he was right, the Equestrians needed to answer some difficult questions about themselves. "I'd like to establish a few ground truths before-- It would be better to establish some ground truths first.

"Have you ever seen-- No... Does Everfree ever act as a unit, as though it has will? Does it ever act with reason?

"How certain are you that Equestria lacks natural forces, and that they won't return on their own? If the Equestrians stopped their magic, would Equestria's soil regain its vitality? Could other magic return it?" An odd smile came to his face. "How about a drop of Everfree's water? Would that return Equestria to the way it was before the... mmmm, proto-Equestrians settled in Cloudsdale and Ponyville?"

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:02 am

“No, I have not, but some ponies have,” said Zecora. “Including Twilight Sparkle. She visits my home on occasion, and we discuss and exchange magical knowledge and theory. She also once brought me the estranged prodigy of Celestia, Ms. Sunset Shimmer, who lives there full time now.”

“In a sense,” said Zecora. “I can make things happen through magic, if that is what you mean by spellcasting. Can I shoot light from my body and make them happen instantaneously? No. I primarily work through herbalism, potions, and meditation. It is slower, requires more patience and work, but it can often go deeper and be more effective, as you say.

“Are you asking if the Everfree is a chained, angry conscious yearning to get free and seek justice against its colorful equine oppressors?” asked Zecora, somewhat dryly as she took a calm sip of her own drink. She made an upward, faux-dramatic movement with her foreleg, as if gripping a fist in vengeance. It was her turn to smile indulgently at Sandy. “I’ve been working with wild nature and its magic for almost thirty years now, and devised all these same questions long before I, or you, came to Equestria. It has been a point of debate among many thinkers of the other species across the world – some simply out of curiosity, others because they see ponies as vicious, unnatural sinners.

“But the answer is no, the Everfree is no more… let’s say, ‘intelligent,’ than any other forest in your world is. Though that may give the wrong impression for you, as I believe that any forest has a certain intelligence to it. It’s just not the same as you and I have. The intelligence of nature is like… the intelligence of a crowd, a swarm of fish, or a flock of birds. It is many different impulses and forces acting with technical independence, but often forming larger singular decisions. The Everfree operates much the same way, though because of the super-qualities it has developed over the years, the ‘choices’ that it makes often manifest more visibly or directly. But it doesn’t think or want in the same way as a…” she searched for the right word. “... your language, it is ‘person,’ right?

“And no, it is unlikely that anything as simple as any of that would be able to return Equestrian land to the way it was before,” she said. “Even if it were to work, the surrounding pony magic would simply quickly reverse the process. If it is possible for the process to be reversed, it probably won’t happen until long in the future when all of us are gone and extinct. You must also keep in mind, most Equestrians simply don’t want to stop, and don’t want another piece of Everfree in the middle of their country. Regardless if we agree or not, ultimately, this is their land and their custom, which they have been practicing since time immemorium. If you wanted to try, you would have to convince them that there is value to it.”

As if remembering their situation on cue, Zecora and Willow simultaneously sought another pony in the group to seek for reaction, and chose Warble. The eccentric leader of the scene had been sitting there, silent except for the unusually loud he sipped his drink, staring at them the whole with a typically neutral, unreadable expression. There was a moment of silence save for Wable’s sipping, tasting, and sigh after finishing the sip.

“... Well don’t look at me, I’m just a gay weirdo,” he said, shrugging and adjusting his sunglasses.
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:48 pm

September 10th
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:“Well, that would be nice, but it’s a bit silly,” Toola remarked, her expression calm but somewhat hard to read as she held her drink close to her face. “Of course everypony would love to have frequent, extended conversations with the Princesses[."]

Amanda gave Toola a suspicious look: if the pink mare was going to twist her words, she'd make her reget it. "Toola, I didn't say anything about conversations, I said that Celestia would probably answer your letters. Which She might do, or might She have somebody write an answer for Her to sign.

"Let's think about this concretely. Celestia rules Equestria. She doesn't personally rule everything: you guys have local governments, courts, and all the other branches of modern governments. In other words, Celestia has a huge staff to administer Equestria for Her. She probably just sets policy for the most part, and lets you guys handle the details.

"Celestia also runs a magic school. She defintely doesn't teach every class; the students range from tiny foals to post-doctoral fellows almost as old as Sandy. There must be thousand or tens of thousands of students. Celestia must have a huge staff to run the school for Her, too.

"Which brings us back to getting answers from Her. You're very self-confident." Amanda bit her tongue and didn't say 'self-absorbed'. "Not everybody is. Some people look for advice for major decisions, or even minor ones. Well, who are they going to ask? Who can give them the best answers? Some of them will decide that Celestia can. Others will ask Cadance for help.

"So, how many? Equestria has what? Ten million pony-people? More? As many as America, about 300 million? It doesn't really matter, except that it's a lot, so only a tiny percentage need to feel uncertain about something important to deluge your Princesses with letters.

"Maybe Celestia could answer ten letters a day on top of Her other responsibilities. But She probably gets over a hundred. I'll bet She doesn't just toss them into the circular file. Like Her staff running the country and Her staff running the magic school, Her staff winnows letters to Her. A lot of them get form replies. Some probably get general suggestions, with Her approval. But the ones that really matter? $100 says She answers those personally, one at a time, long hand, in ink.

Pausing, Amanda collected her thoughts, and changed tact, and tone: now wistful. "And honestly, you want it that way. Jesus – you might say he's my Prince – hasn't said 'boo' for almost 2,000 years. His brother, Mohammed, has been silent for over 1,000. And during that time, many, many people have proposed their own 'inner truths' about what they want. All it's gotten us is generations of arguments, violence, war, and oppression. Be grateful for your Princesses' answers."

Giovenith wrote:“Understanding your values is the difference between wasting another day of your life indoors eating another bag of Cheesie-Crisps while re-reading an old trashy paperback for the fifth time, or going out there and making a real memory that’ll change everything and stay with you till the end. It’s no small or simple task.”

Values bullshit. Ugh! Amanda went for firm and factual. "No, Toola, no. Not 'values'. People shouldn't figure out what they value. They should learn virtues: things that are good, right, and acceptable. You're right about part of what Celestia is trying to teach you: she wants you to learn to get along. Maybe she's taught you guys the Golden Rule: treat each other as you'd be treated. Recognizing that other people have needs and desires just as you do and that you should respect them is a virtue. It has a lot of names: justice, empathy, kindness, fairness. Whatever you call it, it's not a value. It's not your value, it's not anybody's value. It's everybody's virtue, and that's why it's worth keeping.

"Many people value bad things. The perps this morning valued hurting people. One of them valued torturing Willow with a knife. That was his value, and it's wrong. Tyrek wanted to 'change everything', and that was wrong too.

"Maybe you'll say that's not what Celestia wants them to value. So what? People are great at rationalizing things. A criminals often convince themselves that somebody owes them something: they were born poor, or their talents aren't recognized, or they were treated unfairly. Celestia didn't want any of those things to happen, but, as we've established, she's not going to do more than send advice. So criminals say they're going to get what they think is fair however they want. So they say their value is 'getting what they deserve' – which is good in isolation, but not when it means hurting innocents. So they end up with twisted values, and they can justify them. But they're still wrong.

"So what people value isn't much good. Things that everybody values are. Look, Willow wasn't saved by somebody looking for memories to keep him warm forever. He was saved because Sandy's virtues – compassion and a sense of duty – led him to throw himself between Willow and the thugs. And Sandy didn't keep fighting after he was stabbed because he was going to 'change everything' but because he has determination – another good virtue – to save Willow, because lives have worth and meaning; human lives, pony lives, all lives are worth saving. And when he was out-fought, he won by out-thinking the perp with another virtue, wisdom.

"So, because Sandy has all those virtues, the perp didn't get have Willow's screams to comfort him in his old age, but instead has other things seared into his memory: the agony of his ribs shattering beneath Sandy's hooves, the shock of his back breaking as he crashed into a tree, and the knowledge that his evil reduced him to a broken heap. Hopefully, he'll be unable to forget that lesson for the rest of his short, miserable life.

"'Values' are worthless, egocentric, morally-relativist nonsense. Values say that saving a life is no better than taking one, it's just what makes each person happy. All they've brough my world is decades of crime, drug abuse, greed, and corporate malfeasance. You're better off finding a virtue or two and holding tight to it."

She turned to Willow. "Look, you can take the advice of somebody who might help you if they think it'll give them warm fuzzies when they're old, or you can stick with people who will save your life because it's meaningful in and of itself. I know which I chose."

Giovenith wrote:“She also once brought me the estranged prodigy of Celestia, Ms. Sunset Shimmer, who lives there full time now.”

"Aha, that explains that!" Sandy interjected, meaning the black-bordered picture in Celestia's office. "Ummm... I think I'll ask about her later."

[...]

Giovenith wrote:“In a sense,” said Zecora. “I can make things happen through magic, if that is what you mean by spellcasting. Can I shoot light from my body and make them happen instantaneously? No. I primarily work through herbalism, potions, and meditation. It is slower, requires more patience and work, but it can often go deeper and be more effective, as you say.

"Spellcasting is usually relatively quick, though the lightshow seems to be a side effect of unicorn spellcasting. My spells are a bit different."

He paused for a second to think, and decided to forego the demonstration. "'Herbalism and potions' sound like what I would call alchemy. The one time I was in Everfree, I found that I was able to rapidly isolate the ousia in plants... doing in minutes what would normally take hours in my workroom. And it appears the unicorns know a similar art, though the only time I've seen it applied was to criminal ends. Though perhaps you know of Hayc--" Sandy glanced down for a second, then looked back up and smiled. "No, that's another subject for later, possibly another discussion entirely."

Giovenith wrote:“Are you asking if the Everfree is a chained, angry conscious yearning to get free and seek justice against its colorful equine oppressors?” [... Zecora] made an upward, faux-dramatic movement with her foreleg, as if gripping a fist in vengeance. [...] “I’ve been working with wild nature and its magic for almost thirty years now, and devised all these same questions long before I, or you, came to Equestria. It has been a point of debate among many thinkers of the other species across the world [...] because they see ponies as vicious, unnatural sinners.

“But the answer is no, the Everfree is no more… let’s say, ‘intelligent,’ than any other forest in your world is. [...] The Everfree operates much the same way, though [...] the ‘choices’ that it makes often manifest more visibly or directly. But it doesn’t think or want in the same way as a…” she searched for the right word. “... your language, it is ‘person,’ right?

"'Person', yes. We use the term broadly. I'm a person, you're a person, Willow is a person, we are people. A distant society makes machines that think and feel; they are people too."

Giovenith wrote:“And no, it is unlikely that anything as simple as any of that would be able to return Equestrian land to the way it was before,” she said. “[M]ost Equestrians simply don’t want to stop, and don’t want another piece of Everfree in the middle of their country. Regardless if we agree or not, ultimately, this is their land and their custom, [...] If you wanted to try, you would have to convince them that there is value to it.”

[...] As if remembering their situation on cue, Zecora and Willow simultaneously sought another pony in the group to seek for reaction, and chose Warble. [...] “... Well don’t look at me, I’m just a gay weirdo,” he said, shrugging and adjusting his sunglasses.

For a change, Sandy was quick on the uptake. "And just as responsible for the situation as any other Equestrian."

Sandy's comment surprised Amanda, and she gave him a sharp look: that's not how he usually talked about ethical questions. Catching her expression, he added, "...assuming 'responsibility' is the right word. Even you're if not, um, ultimately responsible for the situation, you may have to act to correct it."

Sandy turned back to Zecora. "The image of Everfree seeking a floral, or perhaps florid, revenge is an amusing one, but not my main interest... Although, what do you think would happen if one tried to transplant part of Everfree? A single tree, perhaps. Would it survive? Would it flourish? Would it still be special the way it is now?

Sandy waited for her answer before going on. "My primary interest, though, is Equestria and its neighbors. Given your previous comments – and, um, your colorful description of our colorful hosts – my interest may also be a well-known subject.

"A little under five thousand years ago, the proto-Equestrians arrived where Cloudsdale and Ponyville are now, along with Princesses Celestia and Luna. I'd thought they'd come from somewhere nearby, and I had hoped to locate and excavate their abandoned cities. Perhaps something of their earlier societies could be inferred from them. Apparently a false hope.

"Nevertheless, when they arrived, there weren't the vast multitudes of them that there are today. Perhaps tens or hundreds of thousands of them, if their previous cities had been large, and if all of them came. Allowing for earth pony magic to be... mmm, less well-developed than it is today, they might have needed an area a hundred miles on a side to feed themselves, and most likely less, considerably less.

"I've wondered: did they have neighbors then? Who were they? And most importantly, what became of them? I have trouble believing that this continent was entirely empty before the arrival of the proto-Equestrians; it's possible, but your people seem to be near contemporary Equestria, and you mentioned other peoples near enough to pass judgement on Equestria as well, so that seems... likely contrary to fact.

"Is that, then, the case: that there were other people where we are now? If so, what happened to them?

"Oh!" exclaimed Amanda, with exaggerated cheer. "You mean a little genocide and ethnic cleansing, just like back home!"

Sandy glared at her. "I wouldn't have made that specific accusation, but the thought has crossed my mind."

"In any event, if something like that has happened, Equestria's expanding population – or at least it did grow, and I imagine it's still slowly growing, despite lacking specific proof – and expanding area under the effects of the weather factory and the earth ponies is driving out Equestria's current neighbors, slowly and steadily.

"Strict carnivores can't survive in Equestria, and even omnivores like us humans wish for a little meat in their diets. Strict herbivores could stay here, but they'd be entirely dependent on Equestrians for their daily survival, which many people wouldn't tolerate.

"But perhaps this is all old hat, the arguments well known, and the subject consided moot." Sandy flashed a game grin. "I'll see if I can change that."

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:46 pm

“If there had been previous sentient people,” said Zecora, her tone taking on a somewhat patient edge. “It is unlikely that this would not have been recorded, either by the ponies themselves or the neighboring species, of which I have spoken thoroughly with in my travels. The griffons were once antagonistic with the pegasi in ancient times, before pegasus culture was gradually absorbed into broader pony culture and the griffon monarchy collapsed, and do have records dating back to that time. If anypony had motivation to record a genocide, it would have been them, and they did not. You could definitely try to plant something from Everfree someplace else, it would be worth a try. It just probably could not happen within Equestria.”

Warble shrugged at Sandy’s comments. “Mmmm, I just don’t really seeeeeee… what the, problem is…? Like, if nopony got hurt, why does it matter if the plants don’t grow by themselves and stuff?” He adjusted his sunglasses, which for some reason he insisted on still wearing despite it being a dark indoor party. “Or the weather. In other nations, their citizens are killed by storms randomly, for no reason. Is this like, one of those chaos-order philosophical things, or…? Becauuuuuse I knew a guy once, who was like really into Dadada, you know with the toilet? He was a diiiiick, but he was kind of cuuuuuute, but anywaaaaay, he was liiiiiike-”

During these various exchanges, Willow had begun to slowly close his eyes and massage his temples with a growing grimace, a steady high-pitched whine entering his consciousness. He pressed into his eyelids until he saw blotches of color in the blackness and steadily felt a sense of pressure drift from his eyes, across his face, and into his ears, temporarily muffling the sounds around him for a moment.

He wasn’t enjoying himself. He had been made uncomfortable by the exchange between Amanda and Toola Roola, was uncomfortable with the criticism around the Everfree, uncomfortable with talking about the pre-Equestrian times, and uncomfortable with the way the drinks, and lights, and sounds were mixing together with all of it into an unpleasant sensation he wasn’t sure he had ever experienced before. Even the other artists were starting to bother him, as the tuning out of Warble’s anecdote implied. He had gone more or less silent some time ago, and the muffling of his ears gradually melted away only to be replaced with the irritating sound of someone saying his name repeatedly and jabbing him in the wing.

“What?!” He finally snapped, opening his eyes and turning towards the source of the jabbing and calling.

The outburst was loud enough that it brought the immediate surrounding crowd to a silent pause, with several eyes now locked on him. Giovenith, the one he’d snapped at, shrinked somewhat, though her expression was concerned rather than hurt. Nonetheless, his eyes widened at her and his muscles loosened.

“Oh, I’m sorry Geo-puzzle, I didn’t mean…” He reached out to her. His stomach knotted, and he could feel heat rushing to his face as the feeling of the eyes on him burned into him. “I… I think I need to cool off. Sorry Warble, excuse me…”

“This boy needs ice!!” Warble suddenly shrieked very loudly and urgently. A waiter materialized with a bucket full of ice and placed it into Willow’s hooves.

Willow looked down at the ice, then back at everypony looking at him, then back at the ice. His hearing went muffled again and he vomited into the ice bucket.
she/her

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse