NATION

PASSWORD

Shores: Homecoming (Closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:19 am

Willow frowned, initially critical of Sandy's ponderings. He wanted to point out that Equestria didn't work like Earth, they didn't have new gods ousting old gods, no cult of conquest and acquisition. There was ancient magic and mysteries they didn't understand, sure, but not the kind of brutal hidden histories that humans had barely buried in their backyards.

But then he caught himself, realizing that he didn't really know. He doubted it, but he didn't know. After all, he hadn't known anything about Pansy and his distant ancestors before. There might still be things he didn't know or understand now. Either way, it didn't seem like a job for him and his friends... this was Princess Twilight's castle, so it was probably her and her friends' problem.

"Well, thank you again for your help, Miss Glimmer," said Willow, nodding to Starlight. "And sorry for taking up so much of your time as of late. I'm sure you've got better things to do, serving the Princess."

"The Princess wants me to focus on being more pro-social," the lavender unicorn gave a somewhat more wry smile. "More authentic."

"I can relate."

Manehatten, Equestria

Equestria's equivalent of Manhatten likely wasn't impressive to either Sandy or Willow, the former being a big city dweller himself and the latter travelling there all the time for work related reasons. Willow, for his part, was still hung up on where exactly it was they were supposed to go...

"It seemed to me like our marks were circling in the middle part of the tiny city, right?" he asked Sandy as they made their way through the hustle and bustle of the busy streets. There were no cars, but there were many small horsey bodies moving at an intense gallop, plus several large carriages mostly pulled by larger stallions. "I think it might good to start-"

A pony near-slammed into Willow and yet trotted on their way without slowing down, throwing a few curses at him to be more careful. He pricked his ears and breathed in deeply with noticable rage, his feathers bristling somewhat, before slowly exhaling and letting it go.

"I think we'd have an easier time in the air," he calmly declared.

The skies were busy in their own right, and just as rude, but at least other ponies were easier to dodge when there were no roads to keep to. Willow took the lead, explaining his plan to start with central park. "It's in the heart of the city, and I guess if it feels right..."

They soon landed in the famous, well-kept grass, near a large twisting oak tree. As to be expected, it was much nicer than the rest of the city, more peaceful and serene. Willow rarely got the chance to come here when he visited, which he felt was a shame, especially during the autumn. It could be a nice inspiration. He visibly lightened somewhat, taking in all the trees and the little river.

"You know, you may have caught onto this already," he said to Sandy, taking on a more casual, conversational tone. "But for the pegasi who grow up in the sky, coming to the earth can be kind of an overwhelming experience. The colors and the smell, mostly. I didn't actually see a tree in person until I was like... six, eight maybe?" He knocked the tree they were next to with a hoof. "I thought they were really fucking creepy at first. I mean think about it, it's alive, yet not alive, it moves, yet doesn't move... I didn't really 'get' plants for a while. It's a bit hard to wrap your mind around when you only experience ponies and a few animals as 'real' living things up to that point. But now I really like nature."

He breathed a deep breath with a smile and was silent for a moment.

"Whelp!" he finally said. "We better get looking for that mini quest we're suppo-"

Several assorted fruits suddenly landed on Willow's dome, thwap-ing him one by one with a jarring force. There was an apple, a pear, and a few oranges — clearly not all springing from the tree they stood by in question. He let out a loud yelp and groan, rubbing his head at the unexpected onslaught.

"Sorry!" called a voice from up in the branches. "I didn't see anypony down there, could you toss those back up please?"

"What the hell?" Willow reached down, picking up a pear. He looked up at the branches and narrowed his eyes.

There was a loud rustling of branches, and down on a lower branch better in sight, suddenly dropped the familiar bright form of Toola Roola. A bright orange construction hat was strapped to her head, a harness attaching her to a cord from higher up in the tree, and she was wearing a crisp white t-shirt that read, "@#$@! CORP. PROJECTS!!"

Willow gasped. "You!"

"Oh, hi Streaks," the mare greeted, monotone. She didn't seem thrilled herself. But then a realization seemed to hit her and her expression perked. "Did Gio send you to help me with my protest?" she asked, with a slight tinge of excitement.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:38 pm

September 9
Call between Sandy and Amanda using George's Dealies
Train between Ponyville and Manehatten, Equestria

"I've had an interesting day," Sandy said into his wedding band. "I visited the night sky. But let me start at the beginning." He looked out over the receding scenery from where he stood on the train's rear platform.

"Celestia is worried about the repercussions of tipping her, um, hoof if She offers us direct assistance in Maghrl's timestream. So, She gave me some advice on ending slavery. Some is oddly specific to racial slavery, which is of some--

"No, She denies it. She may have seen it Herself in other timestreams, but I do wonder about that. Before the now-Equestrians came together and sought Her out, they were apparently going at it tooth and nail. Since She forbids Her worshippers from knowing even the names of their original cities, I have to wonder if She denied it because Willow was present. It's possible they never practiced it, but barring dipping into their... Archaic Era, there's no way to know.

"No, I don't think She'd let me. I'd have to cast it outside Equestria, and hope Her Sight doesn't extend far beyond Her borders. Regardless, Her advice was of some value, and confirms what I thought about the utility of Echo Base.

"But She did send me off to speak to Luna for help with the elephant-conjuring spell. We seemed to be just heading into an obscure part of the College, but ended up in the night sky, or... that's what it seemed to be. She thought my request was odd, but She did give me a tiny part of Her godhead. She... uh, gave me an ambiguous answer as to whether I should treat that as sacred, so I'm going to treat it as such until Giovenith can take a Look at it. She should be able to tell.

"Either way, having some night to study will greatly assist my modernization of the spell. I'll probably need just another month or so. Oh, and Celestia offered me access to Her private library. I need to run an errand for Her with Willow. It's a test of character; apparently something She routinely sends Her heroes on to prove they're worthy.

"We'll be fine. We're not leaving Equestria. We're heading to Manehatten; presumably the name is a private joke of Hers.

"Yes, I'll be careful.

"I think so. The railroad timetables show many arrivals and departures, so I can only conclude it's a major city. The map sketch seems to suggest that as well.

"Alright, I'll ask him. Bye, dear!"

Sandy made his way forward, back to where he'd been sitting with Willow. "Amanda is interested in what your metropoleis are like. She going to meet us as soon as she can get away from the spa. She'll want to see the city's cultural attractions. Do you think you could show us around? Maybe some museums, or music venues, or something of the like. If there's much nightlife, she'll want to go where it is."

Later, in Manehatten

Giovenith wrote:"I think we'd have an easier time in the air," he calmly declared. [...] The skies were busy in their own right, and just as rude, but at least other ponies were easier to dodge when there were no roads to keep to. Willow took the lead, explaining his plan to start with central park. "It's in the heart of the city, and I guess if it feels right..."

Sandy trailed Willow. Initially, he felt self-conscious: his immense size was an obvious inconvenience to the other pegasoi and the handful of unicorns lifting themselves by their telekinetic bootstraps. He quickly realized that he could just fly eye to eye with the artist: his own wings were behind Willow's fluttering tail, and he could Hear Willow shifting the breeze around himself when he wanted to turn and bank just as Willow did. Onlookers might notice them moving in synchrony... except when Sandy lifted a wing to let an Equestrian go by.

As the park came into view, Sandy slowly recalled the New York walk. When in Equestrian New York, do as the New Yorkers do. He simply moved as Willow moved, looked where Willow looked, and let the pegasoi adjust. The stream of rude remarks didn't change, though some Equestrians gave him a wide berth when they realized he wasn't going to move for them.

Giovenith wrote:"You know, you may have caught onto this already,[...] I didn't actually see a tree in person until I was like... six, eight maybe? […] I thought they were really fucking creepy at first. I mean think about it, it's alive, yet not alive, it moves, yet doesn't move... I didn't really 'get' plants for a while. It's a bit hard to wrap your mind around when you only experience ponies and a few animals as 'real' living things up to that point. But now I really like nature."

Sandy's eyes lost their focus as he tried to remember what Cloudsdale looked like. "Yes, I think I understand... It's an extensively built environment, with just, uhhh, bare cloud between buildings."

He blinked a couple of times to bring his eyes back into focus, and took a few steps back to get a better view of the tree. "I suppose it is strange: no obvious sense to its... structure, no explanation for the abrupt change in color for the things hanging off its thinnest extensions. Leaves could even be different things than the rest of the tree."

The warm glow of pleasant memories spread across his face, leaving him with a big grin and gleaming eyes. "But my experience was rather the opposite. Feeling the wind through my feathers and my mane was not something that happened to me before my thirties. Even having wings was pretty weird. Most humans don't have them." His grin grew, though that seemed barely possible.

"Fortunately, I knew how to move them and what to do with them. I could even get off the ground from the start, though it wasn't elegant, and getting back down was, um, unusually exciting, as was taking off with any grace.

"And Pegasus' exotic senses... Oh, to be able to see behind myself! And the way he hears..." He stopped, grinning more broadly. "But that's all old hat to you, strange as it is to me."

Giovenith wrote:"Oh, hi Streaks," the mare greeted, monotone. She didn't seem thrilled herself. But then a realization seemed to hit her and her expression perked. "Did Gio send you to help me with my protest?" she asked, with a slight tinge of excitement.

Sandy gave her a puzzled look: how much power did Toola think Giovenith has? "We're here on, um, other business. But what's this about a protest?"
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:41 pm

Manehatten

"HEY!" yelled a masculine voice, interrupting the group before Toola could answer. "You crazy bucking broodmare, I told you to get out of that damn tree already!"

Even Willow was taken surprise by the anger and vulgar language, and he barely had time to process the shift in the situation before he was roughly shoved aside by an Earth pony stallion with slick hair and a well-tailored suit marching up to the base of the tree.

"I already told you what's going to happen here, so you can either get your plot out yourself or I'll have my guys mow you down with it!" the stallion screamed up at the branches, visibly frustrated.

"Go to Tartarus!" Toola Roola yelled back down with equal spite, bracing herself further against the trunk. "I'm not gonna let you destroy this special spot!"

"You can't stay up there forever!"

"Like Tartarus I can't, I made Gold Award in the Filly Guides sucker, I can live off acorns as long as I want!" the female artist declared, spreading her forelegs wide with a degree of deranged confidence.

"Whoa, whoa!" Willow suddenly snapped out of his shock, putting himself the tree and the stallion. "Slow down! Roola, what the hell did you do now?" He narrowed his eyes up at the pink pony.

"Me?" she was clearly offended. "I didn't do anything, I'm trying to save a historic landmark. You should be on my side!"

"I'm not on-"

"It's not a landmark!" the stallion screamed, nearly blowing out Willow's eardrum. The suited pony then directed his rage at Willow, getting close into his face and poking him roughly in the chest. "Is this your girlfriend or something?! Did you come to try and get in my way too?!"

"What?" Willow's eyes widened, and he looked frantic. "No, she- I just-"

"Good, you better not!" The stallion pressed even closer. "Because do you know who I am?! I'll bury you, kid! I'll bury you whole if you don't stay out of my way!"

"Bu-"

"Don't talk to Willow Streaks like that!" Toola demanded with sincerity, pointing down at the suited stallion. "He's mean but he's sensitive!"

Willow made shocked, garbled sounds as he remained stunned by the energy and confusion of the confrontation.
Last edited by Giovenith on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:38 pm

September 10
Manehatten, Equestria

Sandy took a step towards the besuited stallion, not to press in on him, but to come forward from the background. "Actually, I don't think we know who you are. You appear to be somebody of importance, but neither one of us is from this area." He made a sweeping gesture. "And what..." He paused to consider his words. "...is expected to happen here? You're... um, planning on building something?"
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:47 pm

Manehatten

The stallion looked back and forth between Sandy and Willow suspiciously before backing up from the latter. "I have purchased this area from the city to open a permanent stand. The tree is in the sport where I'm going to set it up. I have developed a very popular new brand of frozen yogurt!" He fetched a business card from his pocket and handed it to Willow, looking satisfied.

Willow looked down at the card. It showed a picture of an unappetizing cup of grey, swirled muck in a cup.

"It has unique, patented miracle properties to make ponies lose weight and put on muscle," he proudly declared. "I already have several stands in the city."

"Oh, that's what they all say!" Toola yelled down, drawing the stallion's ire. She adjusted her helmet and took on a righteous stance. "First of all, nopony should be setting up businesses in the park, that's defeats the whole point!"

"You-"

"And second of all," Toola tapped the drunk with her hoof. "This tree is very special, it can't come down just for some trend yogurt."

Willow raised an eye, clearly skeptical. "Why?"

Toola was about to answer before the stallion interrupted her: "Some crazy old hag told her some dementia fantasy of hers," he said. "Look, it really doesn't matter either way, I already have the legal paperwork and a crew on hoof, and tree-hugger here hasn't presented any evidence for her claims besides her own poor, insane ramblings. Crazy broods influencing other crazy broods." He waved a foreleg dismissively.

"Mrs. Lady is not insane!" the pink mare in the tree protested.

"I'd have her arrested, but apparently the Manehatten department maintains the 'right to protest,'" the suited pony continued. "She can't stay up there forever of course, but it's really cutting into my schedule."

Willow looked back and forth between the businesspony and Toola Roola. He definitely didn't like this guy's attitude... he seemed like your typical arrogant yuppy prick you sometimes found around the city. But then again, from what he knew, Toola didn't exactly have the best judgment either. Willow assumed that she thought the tree had some New Age significance, which as bad as this guy was, was hardly a good enough reason to protest something like a frozen yogurt stand.

He sighed. "Roola, if he's got the papers and the city says it's okay, then there's really nothing you can do about any of this," he told his colleague, dryly. "Why don't you just get down from there?"

"I can prove that I'm right," Toola said. "I just haven't had the time because I'm the only one who cares about what Mrs. Lady said. I can't protect the tree and do the research."

Willow narrowed his eyes and gave her a sidelong glance, slight annoyance evident. "Is it like all your other 'research'?"

"Streaks, I'm telling the truth," she insisted, in a somewhat pleading tone.

"Hey you know," the suited stallion intervened. "You two seem like you already know how to deal with this chick. How about you get her out of tree, and I give you a cut of the opening day profits? Since this joke of a police department won't smoke her out."
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:17 pm

September 10
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:"Hey you know," the suited stallion intervened. "You two seem like you already know how to deal with this chick. How about you get her out of tree, and I give you a cut of the opening day profits? Since this joke of a police department won't smoke her out."

"Hmmm..." Sandy frowned thoughtfully, and rubbed the back of his head has he considered what to do. If this is Celestia's errand, She doesn't ask much from Her heroes. Developer-protester disputes are usually resolved by the... Oh! Then, looking from the suited stallion to Toola, came to a decision. "We will look into this, uhhh, disagreement, subject to a few conditions.

"While we look, both of you agree not to change the status quo.

"We'll need a description of this 'Mrs. Lady', and what she thinks makes this tree special.

He took a deep breath. "And... if we find that there is something about this tree, we will bring that to the attention of the city government. If they decide it's important, both of you will abide by their decision. If they demur, then both of you will abide by what Willow and I decide should be done. In either case, that is likely to mean that you'd have to surrender your building permit or that you –" Sandy looked up at Toola. "– would have to come down and stop interfering with his business." There: anerríphthō kýbos!

He turned back to the businessman. "As to that cut, 10% is traditional where I'm from, so if Toola leaves the tree, either by the government's decision or ours, and you proceed with your project, that's what I'd like.

"Is everybody agreed?"

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:47 am

Manehatten

The suited stallion seemed undisturbed by Sandy's proposition, slowly blinking with the same content smile he'd taken on when he'd decided to make his offer to the two questers. It made Willow uneasy, as he expected the businesspony was not taking them particularly seriously. He stole a glance up at Toola Roola, who was looking down at the scene with a somewhat sadder look. It caused a small pang in him. But he soon reasoned it away... there was no point in feeling sorry for ponies who caused their own problems.

"Sure," said the businesspony, a bit too casually and quickly. "And once you clear this trash out of my zone, you already have my contact info. Let me know when it's done."

Seemingly satisfied, he started a jaunty trot off before slowing down slightly when he passed Willow.

"Stupid floozies," he whispered, with a knowing sneer, as if he expected the other stallion to agree.

Willow lurched backward slightly and grimaced in offense. The stallion laughed and trotted away, the grey painter briefly glaring after him. He was tempted to just let Toola have the damn tree, but as much of a jerk as the guy seemed like, Willow knew that wasn't really within his power to decide. He sighed and looked up at the mare in the tree. He narrowed his eyes slightly and paused for a moment.

"Well?" he finally asked. "Do you agree?"

Toola narrowed her eyes right back. There was a few seconds of an icy stand-off between the two before she finally said, "I'm not wrong."

"I'll take that as a yes."

"If you're rude to or scare Mrs. Lady, I'll kick your ass," she warned, her low tone implying this wasn't an idle threat.

"Jeeze, Roola," Willow puffed some bangs from his eyes in disbelief. "I'm not a fucking asshole."

"Debatable."

"Just tell us where this mare is."

The stubborn protestor retreated a moment, digging through an unseen pack of supplies, before she nipped a bit of paper out and carefully dropped down on Sandy and Willow. The latter caught it, and found it to be a pamphlet for "Horizon Sky Assisted Living" — a retirement home.

"You're looking for a resident named Mrs. Pink Lady," Toola explained.

"A member of the Apple family, I presume?" Willow asked.

"They are all over the place."

That part was true, at least, Willow could admit.

Toola continued, "If you need help, ask for Nurse Isle Blessing." With that, the young mare fled back into the upper branches of her tree.

The young grey stallion handed the pamphlet to Sandy. "You're a historian, if we're dealing with old people, this might actually wind up being your area of expertise."

Finding the retirement home luckily didn't take too long, though it did turn out to be in a more out-of-the-way neighborhood in the massive city. It made sense, more peace and quiet for the residents, or at least as well as you could get in Manehatten. Willow lead the way through the glass door into a sterile-smelling lobby. The place seemed functional enough, but cheap: Dark beige carpets, off-neon blue walls that seemed more fit for a construction project than lobby colors, a few generic fruit paintings- wait, no- Willow slowed his gaze and recognized that quite a few of the pieces that hung on the wall were Toola's own distinct impressionist style.

He covered his mouth and widened his eyes somewhat in shock, understanding the discrepancy. Whatever his personal qualms with her, Toola Roola was a highly successful Mid-Career artist like him, and those paintings equated to upper thousands of dollars worth of high art — just hanging around within grabbing reach in some faceless retirement home a kicked can away from a soup kitchen. Likely the only reason they weren't brutally stolen at this point was because the average pony around these parts likely wouldn't be able to distinguish the quality in work. Willow wasn't a snob, they were her paintings to give away, just... damn. At a glance, they seemed to be cheerful, depicting random ponies in various everyday activities, which was an unusual subject matter for her. She usually went bigger and bolder.

The front desk was a simple white slab, and a few lobby chairs and tables in slightly matching blue as the walls held a few shaking equines in the far off side of the room (playing cards, of course, as the elderly do). Not wanting to bother them, Willow opted straight for the desk, tapping it a few times and calling over it to get somepony's attention. Soon, a pink mare with spring-green hair and lovely matching lavender eyes emerged from the back. Despite her color, she was middle-aged, presumably not the Mrs. Pink Lady they were searching for.

"Oh, hello there!" she greeted in a warm voice. "Oh..." She paused, somewhat startled at Sandy's appearance, though she actively moved to ignore it out of obvious politeness. "Is there something I can help you bo- you... with?" It seemed like she had been ready to say "boys," but she wasn't sure if Sandy was in fact a boy.
Last edited by Giovenith on Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:55 pm

September 10
Horizon Sky Assisted Living
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:Is there something I can help you bo- you... with?" It seemed like [the receptionist] had been ready to say "boys," but she wasn't sure if Sandy was in fact a boy.

"Yes. My name is Sandy Bela, and this is Willow Streaks. We'd like to speak to one of your residents, a mare named Pink Lady, about one of her... I think 'friends' would be appropriate, Toola Roola, and a special tree in Central Park."

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:52 pm

"Oh," the nurse smiled. "You're friends of my daughter? Why didn't you just say so?"

Oh! Willow blinked, unsure of how to respond. He'd never given much thought to Toola's family before. "Are you... Isle Blessing?"

"That's me, come along," the nurse urged the two down the sterile hall.

Feeling awkward after a minute of passing quiet rooms, Willow asked, "Excuse me, um... are you aware, of what Roo- um, Toola, is doing?"

"She's always up to something. Why don't you bring me up to speed?"

"She's climbed a tree and refuses to come down. A businesspony wants the location and is threatening to tear it down with her in."

Nurse Blessing sighed. "Sounds like her."

"Do you know anything about the tree?"

"Not personally, no," she said. "But Toola has always loved coming here and listening to the stories of the senior ponies ever since she was a little girl. They love her too, since they can get so lonely, you know? And she can get a bit... protective of them sometimes." The nurse turned ahead. "She doesn't like the way it feels like their lives are thrown away and forgotten sometimes."

"Oh." Willow thought back to when he had first met Galleria Gala when she'd been clearing out Mrs. Peablossom's art collection, and his own friendship with the latter before her death. In fact, recalling the meeting, he found himself rethinking what Toola was doing... he had been almost ready to cry when he thought that Ms. Gala was throwing out Mrs. Peablossom's collection, he would have done anything to stop it. He frowned at the private realization of his own hypocrisy.

"But I'm glad she has her friends to help her work through what ever she feels she's doing," said the nurse, stopping at a door. She politely knocked on the wall. "Pink Lady, you have some visitors."

In a small but cozy one-room apartment, decorated with quilts and family memoribilia, was a small, elderly pony wrapped up snug in another quilt on a cushion near the open window. Her coat was an interesting blend of soft reds and yellows, which contrasted with her pinkish-grey mane. She looked over, frowned at the odd appearance of her stranger visitors, until Nurse Blessing explained that they were friends of Toola. At that, she smiled.

"Hello!" she greeted cheerfully, in a creaky little old lady voice. "Any friend of that sweet girl is a friend of mine! Come in, what can I do for you?"

"Uh, sorry to bother you, ma'am, but..." Willow briefly explained the tree situation. "We were told that you might have the answers to this."

"Oh, my tree!" the elderly mare nodded in understanding. "Oh, it is beautiful, isn't it? And so many memories. There, there!"

She pointed to a book up on a high shelf within Sandy's reach.

"My family planted that tree back when the gardens were first founded," she explained. "We usually deal in apples, but oak seemed more symbolic-like, you know? But that was way before I was around and started using it."

Sandy grabbed the book off the shelf, which wasn't particularly high up for a human, and handed it down. Willow helped flip through it, taking care with the crinkling pages seeing as it was a very old journal of some kind.

"There was a terrible case of the ponypox," Pink Lady explained. "These things were much harder to deal with back then, you know? And since it's a big city filled with big things to do, not everypony could stay home with families to take care of them... me and my family though, we decided to set up this little spot by the tree. We cooked for everypony, got them blankets, read to them, and everypony took care of each other."

"That is pretty impressive," said Willow. "And kind of you. Was that all you did?"

"Oh no, a lot more! My sisters and I babysat there too, for anypony who was passing through and needed a place for their foals to stay. And we once held magic shows for little unicorns to get more noticed so that they might get to go to one of the academies, 'cause there were so many witnesses to write recommendation to Canterlot for them -- it made it easier for them to compete with the rich kids over in the capital."

"It sounds like you've done a lot with this tree."

"Oh yes!"

"Do you have any proof of this, Mrs. Lady?"

"My journal!"

"The journal is nice," Willow explained, nodding. "But I mean something more like photos or what-not, something direct?"

"Why would you need that?"

"Your young friend, Toola Roola, is trying to protect the tree from being torn down," he explained with a sigh. "She thinks if we can bring some hard evidence that all of this happened, we could make it into some sort of landmark to save it or something, I guess. If... that's what you want, I suppose."

"Oh..." the elderly pony thought, pausing in concern. "Well it's been so long, but... I'm not sure. I'm one of the few ponies left from the group who did that sort of thing... I do remember other ponies taking photos and what-not, I think maybe some ponies from the papers? Or it could have been their private collections..."

Willow turned to Sandy. "With these sort of things happening, who do you think would be the ones most likely to keep records?"
Last edited by Giovenith on Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:58 pm

September 10
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:Willow turned to Sandy. "With these sort of things happening, who do you think would be the ones most likely to keep records?"

Sandy's brows knitted, first in puzzlement at the question, and then, coming together tighter, in annoyance. "If the photographers were from the local papers, then the press probably has copies in their clippings files... maybe filed under Pink Lady's name, or the names of one of the other participants, possibly under the ponypox outbreak, or even the tree itself if it was considered a landmark back then. Major libraries – public or associated with research universities – may have the entire editions in their stacks, in which case, we can simply look up the papers that go with the dates in the journal.

"Since Equestria has photography, there might be microfilm as well, which we could also search by date, at the same sorts of places. But--" He bit off his comment about the ponies' disdain for history.

"But there are other avenues as well. The letters of recommendation for the unicorn foals that Mrs. Lady mentioned conceivably might still be on file in the Magic College if they were successful applicants. Somewhat more practically, if any of those unicorns stayed on to teach, they'd be senior faculty now, and their witness testimony should do.

"Remember, we're only trying to convince the city government, not prove that the events took place to my professional satisfaction." Sandy gently closed the journal and turned it in his hands to look at it spine-on.

He hefted it gently for emphasis. "As I understand Amanda, this journal alone would be considered legal documentary proof. It has dated, written records, and unless the unicorns have much different magic than I think, forging something like this would be a mammoth undertaking, especially since many of the events are otherwise historical."

He turned his face to Pink Lady. "Amanda is my wife, an attorney. With this journal alone, I think she could make the case to the city to leave your tree alone. But there are-- there may be reasons we shouldn't ask for her help, at least not quite yet."

For a moment, Sandy was silent, then, "But..." He paused, turning back to Willow. "Convincing the city might be the wrong approach. Mr. Businessstallion seems interested only in money. Suppose we could convince him that setting up his business next to "the Apple family's famous friendship tree" might make him richer. Wouldn't that be better than beating him down? He isn't necessarily our enemy; he may just be looking at the situation as though it's zero-sum, not positive sum.

"The, uh, merits of his business and whether it should be located in the park are other matters entirely."

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:37 pm

"I don't trust that guy," Willow admitted. "Like I'm not automatically on his side or anything, but it seemed like he was just humoring us. And I'm not sure what any of this has to do with friendship... I doubt the map would want Roola and that guy to be friends."

That was how it worked, wasn't it? The idea of a "friendship problem"? Willow wasn't sure on the details, especially since he'd spent so much time away from Ponyville, but that seemed to be the ultimate goal of these quests, whoever or whatever decided on them. He hoped that part would work itself out, as he wasn't much of a social engineer... that was more Giovenith's talent.

"I think we should probably get the extra proof just to be sure," he said. "I'd rather we get everything we might possibly need and wind up with unnecessary stuff than risk cutting corners and potentially screwing ourselves later. Ma'am, could we borrow this journal?"

"Certainly!"

"Thank you, I promise we'll be careful with it." Willow turned to Sandy. "The library seems like the best place to start with. Manehatten has a huge and famous one, and we'll make it there quicker by air. It'd be nice to have Sterling around right about now..."

They thanked Pink Lady again, thanked the nurse on the way out, and found themselves standing outside the front door of the nursing home. But before Sandy could transform and they could fly off, a loud, startling clamor could be heard, and suddenly, a carriage pulled in front of them. It was a bit like the carriage cabs they had seen across the city, though this one was much larger, pulled by two instead of one large stallion, and painted a shiny black that nearly blinded Willow when it flashed in the sun. Velvet curtains pulled back from the window, and the business pony from the park leaned out.

"Gentlecolts!" he greeted, leaning out with his familiar satisfied smile. "Good to see you again! I've been looking all over the city for you."

Willow folded his ears with a slight scowl. "Oh- you." How had he found them? "Is there, something we can help you with?"

"I just want to talk."

"Anything you had to say to us, you could have said at the park."

"In that situation?" he pffft'ed. "Come on, Bleaks-"

"Streaks."

"Uh huh. Where ever you two are heading, I can give you a ride! I've got special ways through the city. We can talk on the way, have a real talk this time, without that annoying beatnik screeching in our ears."
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:04 pm

September 10
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:"I don't trust that guy," Willow admitted. "Like I'm not automatically on his side or anything, but it seemed like he was just humoring us. And I'm not sure what any of this has to do with friendship... I doubt the map would want Roola and that guy to be friends."

Sandy's first response was studious silence: it seemed gauche to say that they had ulterior motives, that Pink Lady's problem appeared to be just one step in a larger problem, in front of her. "He probably was humoring us. His case seems strong. He does have the city's permission, after all. And despite Toola's … prediction, he probably can just wait her out."

Giovenith wrote:"The library seems like the best place to start with. Manehatten has a huge and famous one, and we'll make it there quicker by air. It'd be nice to have Sterling around right about now..."

It took Sandy a moment to place the unicorn's name, then added a distracted "Yes..." as he drifted off into thought. How do they organize their libraries here? A system as different from human ones as their culture, or did Celestia make off with the Library of Congress or British Library systems as well?

Giovenith wrote:They thanked Pink Lady again, thanked the nurse on the way out, and[–]

As they walked to the door, Sandy returned to Willow's description of Celestia's errand: it if was about friendship in specific, whose? And why? Were they even at square one yet? All of the relationships he'd seen so far – other than the specific conflict they were looking into – seemed functional enough, except for... A grin slowly snuck onto his face. "I was thinking about what you said about our, uh, 'quest'. We have met one potential friend: Toola. Though why the map is trying to fix the two of you up is beyond me." He made a mock show of extreme sincerity.

Giovenith wrote:"Where ever you two are heading, I can give you a ride! I've got special ways through the city. We can talk on the way, have a real talk this time, without that annoying beatnik screeching in our ears."

Sandy shook his head. "Perhaps another time."

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:26 am

Manehatten

"He probably was humoring us. His case seems strong. He does have the city's permission, after all. And despite Toola's … prediction, he probably can just wait her out."

"Yeah, that's probably true. I don't know..." He held a wrist to his mouth, chewing on this. "... I guess I just get a bad feeling with mean, cocky business types, you know? I mean... who doesn't? It doesn't really feel right..."

A grin slowly snuck onto his face. "I was thinking about what you said about our, uh, 'quest'. We have met one potential friend: Toola. Though why the map is trying to fix the two of you up is beyond me." He made a mock show of extreme sincerity.

Willow made a gross, dismissive sound. "Come on Sandy, you've seen her this whole time here. Maybe I feel a little sorry for her with this whole old people and tree business, but that doesn't make up for over a decade of woo-peddling, hyperactive bullshit. You're a college professor, you probably know these types. Would you want to be shacked up with the fine crossroad between high art pretention and bold, arrogant, alternative lifestyle aesthetic?" He held his two forelegs in a scale, weighing motion.

Sandy shook his head. "Perhaps another time."

"I really think you should..." he stressed.

"I really think we shouldn't," Willow retorted, acidicly.

"Look," the businesspony lowered his sunglasses, smile suddenly gone. "I don't know what you two get out of this little do-good quest of yours, but it's going to stop now. I've tried to be nice with you-"

"Nice?!"

"-but if you're not going to be reasonable, then you're going to have to force my hoof."

"Are you threatening us?" Willow bit back. "Fuck's sake, it's just a frozen yogurt stand! If you're so sure about your venture, then what do you care about what we do?"

"You really think a pony like me gets where he is in life through frozen yogurt?" the businesspony spat back. "Sweet Celestia, I could understand why that bitch in the tree doesn't get it, but you?"

"What do you mean..."

"Bah!" he waved a hoof dismissively at them. "Fine, have it your way. You'll see. Watch your backs."

And the carriage sped off, splashing a large puddle toward them as it went. Willow blocked the splash with a wing, whipped the wetness off, and turned to Sandy.

"We better hurry. Sounds like there's more going on here than it sounds like."
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:16 pm

September 10
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:"Come on Sandy, you've seen her this whole time here. Maybe I feel a little sorry [...] but that doesn't make up for over a decade of woo-peddling, hyperactive bullshit. You're a college professor, you probably know these types. Would you want to be shacked up with the fine crossroad between high art pretention and bold, arrogant, alternative lifestyle aesthetic?"

Sandy's smile drooped. "Yes, I've seen the type. At home, we have people who believe in 'the secret magics of the ancients', and crystals... and other nonsense. They're not entirely wrong, but far from right." He took a deep breath, and sighed wearily. "And philhellenes, who romanticize what they think one or more Greek cultures were... or ones who romanticize Roman culture or cultures – it changed over time – or any number of more recent societies or events. We – Americans – have our own founding myths, despite the events being historical and documented, and they are romanticized as well.

"As a professor of history, my job is to try to lead them to the facts... or at least what we think the facts are, and make them aware of the limits of our knowledge. I've had eighteen-year-olds tell me to my face, in a lecture with over a hundred students, that what I know must be wrong, because they know the truth. Yes, I know the type. I do my best with them. Sometimes I'm able to help them learn, sometimes not.

"If the map – uh, for the sake of argument – wants you and Toola to be friends, I imagine it will try similar tactics, uh, in part... to help you see an unseen truth about the other, maybe, and one or both of you would change under its influence. It's hard to say: it may draw on divine power; perhaps Giovenith can tell... but I wouldn't doubt its abilities. For the sake of argument, that is; I wouldn't bet on this outcome, even though it would … barely fit the facts." A corner of his mouth curled up.

Giovenith wrote:"We better hurry. Sounds like there's more going on here than it sounds like."

"Speûde bradéōs," Sandy said gently in Classical Greek: hurry slowly. He continued in the same language. "Yes, we need to move quickly, but we need to think a little about what to do and how. Should we race off to the library, or race off after his carriage to keep an eye on him? Or split up and do both?

"And who, or what is he: a mustache-twirling villain from century-old movies in the guise of an arrogant businessman whose money-making scheme might be 'curses, foiled again', or something worse? In the worst case, facing organized crime, corrupt governments, or – past a certain point, there's little distinction – is more Amanda's specialty than either of ours.

"Facing that takes some forethought: we might be followed, attacked, or both. But for a start, Pink Lady's journal is the key. Keep it secret, keep it safe. If we lose that, everything else is harder. I can start from what I remember of it, but having it is... uh, the difference between speed skating and ascending a glacier: both involve ice, but one is a little more difficult."

Sandy's gaze followed the shrinking dot of the carriage, as he thought for a moment. "Yes, getting the journal to the library is our highest priority now," he started again, still in Greek. "But does that take both of us? I'd like to keep an eye on our 'friend', too, to help narrow the possibilities. And you know where the library is.

"Do you want to get started by yourself, or should we go together? Either way, the Boon would get your there faster, since it will keep you from tiring as quickly. If the library's close enough, you might be able to manage a, uh, flying gallop the whole way, otherwise, a flying canter. But too fast for anyb– anypony other than an athlete to follow you. And I can always find you by following my own spell. If you want, that is."

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:38 pm

b]Manehatten[/b]

Willow sighed. "I really don't see why all this magic insists on this "mysterious ways" shtick. If the map wants something, can't it just say it?" His wings drooped slightly in a shrugging motion. "Hey, I get it though. Just because I don't like her doesn't mean I want Roola to get hurt by some yuppy asshole. She doesn't deserve that."

"And who, or what is he: a mustache-twirling villain from century-old movies in the guise of an arrogant businessman whose money-making scheme might be 'curses, foiled again', or something worse?"

"I mean, one of the first things we did when we got here was talk to a red, horned evil guy in a spooky cave prison who tried to take over the world, twice." Willow pointed out, dryly.

"Facing that takes some forethought: we might be followed, attacked, or both. But for a start, Pink Lady's journal is the key. Keep it secret, keep it safe. If we lose that, everything else is harder. I can start from what I remember of it, but having it is... uh, the difference between speed skating and ascending a glacier: both involve ice, but one is a little more difficult."

Sandy's gaze followed the shrinking dot of the carriage, as he thought for a moment. "Yes, getting the journal to the library is our highest priority now," he started again, still in Greek. "But does that take both of us? I'd like to keep an eye on our 'friend', too, to help narrow the possibilities. And you know where the library is.

"Do you want to get started by yourself, or should we go together? Either way, the Boon would get your there faster, since it will keep you from tiring as quickly. If the library's close enough, you might be able to manage a, uh, flying gallop the whole way, otherwise, a flying canter. But too fast for anyb– anypony other than an athlete to follow you. And I can always find you by following my own spell. If you want, that is."

"I think that's probably for the best," he nodded. "I think I could make it there even without your spell, but give it to me anyway just to be safe. There's no phones here in this world though..." He cursed under his breath, slightly surprised with himself: After all this time negatively comparing Humanland to his home country, it was just starting to sink in how much more inconvenient Equestria could be in its own ways. "Alright, how about we meet back by the tree in say, an hour?"
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:34 pm

September 10
Outside Horizon Sky Assisted Living
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:"I think that's probably for the best," he nodded. "I think I could make it there even without your spell, but give it to me anyway just to be safe. There's no phones here in this world though..."

Sandy held up is left hand to show his wedding band, which George had altered to permit interdimensional communications. "We can stay in touch, bearing in mind the lag."

Sandy took a step back to get room to gesture, and cast Adonis' Boon on the pony artist. "Oh, wow!" He'd never imagined how much Willow would like like his dad with stronger features, but there he was, cutting a striking figure. "Don't break too many hearts, Willow."

Giovenith wrote:"Alright, how about we meet back by the tree in say, an hour?"

"I'll just come find you. In the worst case, I'll ask for directions."

After watching Willow depart, Sandy cast another spell, becoming the Olympians' mascot. He took the air, climbing high above the rooftops to avoid the slower traffic below, and followed the carriage from a few blocks behind. Hopefully, the driver wouldn't be able to hear his flight over the layered sounds near street level.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:56 pm

Willow winced an eye and rubbed at his face a bit, mentally projecting tingles on it. He forced a smile and nod to be polite, but inwardly frowned, not really sure how to take Sandy's reaction to his spell. He considered looking for a window to check what he looked like but almost immediately rejected the idea, spooked somewhat at the prospect of finding an unrecognizable face over his own.

"I'm not-" He cleared his throat, dropping the point. Like most poor little bullied sad kids, Willow had a complex relationship with his physical appearance, but this wasn't the time or place for that. "Thanks, I'll try to make the most of it." And off he went.

--
Sandy

Keeping track of the carriage could be a tricky task with the bustling of the big city, though their foe's inconsiderate driving demands and the slight chaos they caused into the streets definitely made it a bit easier than it could have been for Sandy. He would have had to keep something of a distance to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb too much, but he managed to do so successfully enough to see the carriage eventually move out of the busy street and into another older looking, less populated part of the city. It eventually stopped at a crumbling concrete several-story building, whereupon the businesspony hopped out, looking miffed.

One of the stallions pulling the carriage held out a hoof, expectantly. The business pony recoiled in contempt.

"I already pay you a wage!" he screamed at them. "You're asking me for hand-outs? Get out of here!"

Offended but not wanting to arouse any further trouble, the carriage pulled away while the business pony turned on his hooves and strutted through the old, cracked glass doors of the building. He entered one of those old cage elevators, which was lifted by another lackey of his rapidly turning a crank, with much struggle. The business pony screamed at him to put more work into it until he eventually ascended to a higher floor.

Exiting the cage with a flourish, he walked in on a large project in progress, with several ponies hurriedly pouring grey sludge into jars, labeling them, and packing them into boxes. In another section, there was a series of chalkboards covered in some sort of mathematical or chemical theory, and a tired-looking unicorn wearing goggles tinkering with ingredients at a countertop.

"It's been a hard day," the business pony announced with a dramatic sigh to all his workers. "Flasky, give me some good news!"

The unicorn cringed slightly while removing his goggles with his magic but put on a smile for his boss. "I think I've found that break-through you wanted!"

"Oh?" He trotted over.

"I had to pay some guys to go deep into the Everfree," Flasky explained, pulling out a box from beneath the counter. "And they did get a bit chewed up by the creatures, unfortunately..."

"If they don't like it, they can get real jobs."

"Right. But they got what I told you about!" The unicorn carefully pulled out several dried plants similar-looking to wolf's bane or lavender. "The anhedonian miracle, just like Haycart described. It took me a bit of time to go through the writings and pinpoint it..." He gestured to a map with several strings and calculations over it. "... but with the right measuring, I was able to-"

The business pony rolled his eyes and swiped a beaker to the floor, shattering it, to illustrate his impatience.

"Oh..." Flasky quieted, folding his ears. "Well... it'll do what you wanted..."

"Explain."

"When you combine it with the original recipe," the unicorn used his magic to lift the plant. "It'll cause a lot of instant joy and energy in the ponies that consume it, but that burst takes a lot out of their reserves, and can't be replicated by many other things. That's the miracle part. They'll have to buy and eat more to have the same effect."

"Uh huh..."

"And it they don't eat it for a while, well, it's known to cause deep anxious symptoms that can last up to a year. Over time, if they keep at it, the more they'll need to get by. It won't just be a trend then."

"And then I can expand," the business pony smiled. "Everypony from the stupid fucking hipsters to those pencil pushers in the towers who hate their husbands will have to come to our snacks."

"It can be pretty dangerous though."

"So don't screw up the formula. I don't want some intern offing themselves and getting S.M.I.L.E. on my ass." He shrugged. "Or I don't know. Maybe we can actually use that later on, if we come up with something else to counteract that urge."
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:28 pm

September 10th
Businesspony's Drug Lab
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:[T]he carriage pulled away while the business pony turned on his hooves and strutted through the old, cracked glass doors of the building. He entered one of those old cage elevators, which was lifted by another lackey of his rapidly turning a crank, with much struggle. The business pony screamed at him to put more work into it until he eventually ascended to a higher floor.

Sandy glided down as the businessstallion entered the building. How the hell am I going to follow-- A corner of his equine mouth turned up: Sandy barely needed Pegasus' sharp hearing to overhear the guy's demands to be lifted to a higher floor... but which?

Not having much choice, Sandy reefed his wings to sharpen his glide, setting down on a frontless, rusting wrought-iron balcony on the fourth floor, likely the micropegasus entrance. He set his teeth firmly as he worked the door handle; it was made for much smaller hooves, and either rusted shut or locked. He put his weight behind it: there was a snap, and the handle turned.

Door open and nobody visible inside, Sandy ducked in, returning to human form. He was in a narrow hallway, running along one side of the building. Now, where was Equestria's worst boss?

Giovenith wrote:"It's been a hard day," the business pony announced with a dramatic sigh to all his workers. "Flasky, give me some good news!"

Aha! He was on the right floor! He did his best to slink quietly towards a pair of double doors, and peered through the gap between them.

Giovenith wrote:"I had to pay some guys to go deep into the Everfree," Flasky explained [...] "The anhedonian miracle, just like Haycart described. [...] When you combine it with the original recipe[...] It'll cause a lot of instant joy and energy in the ponies that consume it, but that burst takes a lot out of their reserves, and can't be replicated by many other things. [...] And it they don't eat it for a while, well, it's known to cause deep anxious symptoms that can last up to a year.["]

So they do know alchemy! And Everfree again appears to be the source this Haycart was using. Sandy strained to make out the writing on the map, but it was too far away.

He rubbed the back of his head, considering his course of action. There were too many people in the lab to get in, and for the want of an elephant, he had no way of stopping them immediately. Maybe he could get back in after they left for the day, but that was no help in the short term. Conclusion: find Willow, tell him what he'd found, and get the police or the feds – SMILE? – to deal with Ebenezer Scrooge broken bad.

Sandy snuck back down the hall. Getting out would be easier than getting in; getting the door to stay closed behind him might be a bigger challenge, but there was nothing to be done about that. He Looked ahead of him, and saw two strands of ousia disappearing off to his left. One climbed away sharply, heading for Olympus, the other was nearly level. That was the one he'd follow.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:43 pm

Manehatten, Equestria

"What are you going to do about the girl in the tree? I mean, do you really need the spot in the park-"

"It's not about the spot! It's about sending a message. And anyway, I already got some ponies trailing the two clowns that came out of nowhere to her rescue to make sure they don't try anything. If we have to break their-"

As if on cue, and to Sandy's great misfortune, a new voice burst into the room, interrupting the exchange.

"Boss!" it said, loudly. "I saw the ugly giant monkey one head over here. I think he might be fixing to spy."

Flasky and the business pony stared at the newcomer in shock for a moment before the boss grew a smile on his face.

"Well, well," he said, with some delight. "Nopony ever cried against self-defense against trespassers on one's business, did they?" He shouted and pointed at the workers. "Find him! Find that Koko-ass-looking motherfucker and bring me his fucking teeth!"

There was the sound of loud and frantic shuffling.
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:39 pm

September 10th
Businesspony's Drug Lab
Manehatten, Equestria

Already most of the way down the hall, "Boss!" and "Find him!" were all Sandy heard. But he didn't need years of police experience to realize he'd been made. He broke into a run.

Thirty feet and three seconds later, Sandy was back on the landing; after three seconds, he did a swan dive from the balcony, becoming Pegasus halfway to the street, snapping his wings all the way open as he turned his fall into fast flight.

Sandy raised his tail as he soared away to give his pursuers a good look in the mirror.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:21 am

Manehatten

A sharp SHATTER! noise exploded on a lamp post near Sandy's head.

Several more followed it in different notes, followed by colorful flashes of light, as it became clear what was happening: The boss and his workers were launching empty glass jars after him as he flew away. He had already been out of shot for a regular throw, but bursts of telekinesis launched them across the air with frightening speed and precision. There was the muffled sound of yelling behind.
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:16 pm

September 10th
Leaving Businesspony's Drug Lab
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:A sharp SHATTER! noise exploded on a lamp post near Sandy's head. [...] Several more followed it in different notes, followed by colorful flashes of light, as [...t]he boss and his workers were launching empty glass jars after him as he flew away.

The first jar took Sandy by surprise; he jerked away from the lamppost reflexively. He'd expected that the only pursuit he'd get would be from the pegasoi, and he'd just outrun them, as he hoped Willow had.

But now that he knew to expect incoming fire, he could dodge it. The jars were hard to see, but the unicorns' magic propelling them was another matter. He turned an ear rearward, and Listened to their telekinesis, and changed course as needed to throw off their aim.

He climbed as he did so, trying to get out of the heavy traffic above the streets, but he kept below the rooftops. At the first corner, he swung a tight circle around the lamppost to read the street signs, then took off down the cross street, keeping the buildings between him and the unicorns. If they wanted him, now they'd have to give chase.

He headed away from Willow to keep potential tails from getting ideas about where the artist was. Then, after several blocks, he climbed above the buildings, and cut across the blocks diagonally, occasionally changing to a different diagonal. Pursuers should stand out that way, he thought, as he couldn't be followed from the ground.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:26 pm

Meanwhile:

Along his flight to the library, Willow periodically attempted various methods of wrapping the black-and-white checkered scarf he'd worn around his head and face but could find none to his satisfaction. He couldn't, of course, cover his face with his hooves or wings though, that would just look even more ridiculous. He sighed as he landed on the great stone steps of the library and determined to merely keep his head down.

One might, of course, rightly wonder what the big deal was. The spell had made him handsome, not ugly, so what was there to be self-conscious of? Well, low self-esteem was a tricky beast that way... if you asked Willow himself, he wouldn't have been able to give you an answer. But the simple truth was that when you were used to automatically thinking of yourself as lowly, things that seemed to contradict that belief could be... uncomfortable.

Of course, Willow wasn't entirely unfamiliar with that discomfort. When he was a young teen first eking out a public career, some of the other artists and photographers had approached his parents about having him serve as a model. Apparently, his boyish androgyny was perfect for certain projects of theirs, and his relation to a couple of star athletes certainly didn't hurt in matters of perceived prestige, but his parents, knowing it wasn't the right career for their shy son, had rightfully turned them down. Sallow seemed to think the two of them were hot, but then he was, you know, Sallow. Still, Willow didn't understand it much... when you're prone to imagining contempt in the eyes around you, it doesn't lend itself much to feelings of beauty regardless of what others apparently saw.

But that wasn't what mattered right now. The quest was. Sighing and giving into one last urge to adjust his scarf, Willow approached the main desk.

"Excuse me," he piped. "I was wondering if I could be directed to, whatever section it is you use for things like old newspapers and stuff? Maybe some magazine articles?"

The librarian raised her head from her desk, blinking and squinting incredulously at the short yet hot stallion with a scarf tied around his head like an old lady's veil. "Ummm... yes. Right this way."

As he followed, Willow thought he felt eyes on him and paused for a moment. He shook his head. It's just my self-consciousness.

Predictably, the library was very large and took some time to navigate through, though they eventually came to a stop at a very neglected, dusty-looking corner of the building. It was awkwardly tucked in the corner behind some shelves and a bright window, and it seemed like the sort of spot you would easily overlook while going about your business unless you were a bored child.

"You can use this machine to look at old newspapers," the librarian explained.

"Oh! I've heard of these..." Willow had the mechanisms briefly explained to him before sitting down and fetching the journal from his saddlebag to check and compare the dates. He smiled in slight intrigue while clicking through the glowing, preserved pages, finding the task to be pleasantly surprisingly interesting. There were a few topics he passed by that he almost got caught up in reading before remembering the task at hand and clicking along. After a while, he came across some entries that seemed familiar...

Again, he felt a presence and jerked his attention to the side. This time, there was a mare in a dark coat standing next to him, staring.

Willow blinked. "Oh, I'm sorry, but I'm using this right now... I'll only be a few minutes though." He smiled.

She tilted her head at him, before pulling a polaroid picture from her coat and comparing it to his face. She squinted her eyes.

He became slightly suspicious. "Can I help you with something?" he asked, discreetly tucking the journal back into his pack.

"You're this guy?" She flipped the polaroid, revealing a candid shot of him standing near the old folks' home with Sandy, unaware of the photographer.

Suspicion turned to alarm. "Where did you get that?" He gripped his bag and backed up. "Who are you?"

She tilted her head in the other direction and smiled at him. Not waiting for an answer, Willow flew at a magically-enhanced speed back to the front desk, now in a rush to get what he needed and go.

"Excuse me, is it possible I could get some sort of copy of..." He repeated the date he'd seen in the journal and the paper. "... not the original of course, just a-" His gaze went toward the back of shelf halls and saw the mare cantering up to catch up with him. "-just a print-out if you could? Please, I'm in a hurry-"

"Hmmmm..." The librarian, apparently not appreciating his urgency, lifted herself from her seat and started to walk towards another back section herself. "I'll see what we have."

Oh crap. Willow looked again at the fast-approaching stalker. She couldn't do anything to him in a library, right? There were too many witnesses, and the quiet would alert everypony. Soon, she was upon him, and he backed up again, glaring.

"Try something, I'll call for the police right here," he warned, ears pinned.

"And tell them what?" she grinned at him.

"Nothing, as long as you're smart enough to not do shit."

"Spicy."

"I know that asshole sent you."

"Here's the thing," the mare said calmly, scraping a front hoof against the floor. "I was going to wait till you were outside and bludgeon you with this tire iron in my coat."

Sweet Celestia! Willow's eyes widened in horror.

"But now that I've gotten a better look at you..." She looked him up and down. "... that seems like it would be a waste. So how about this: You can come quietly with me, and not only will I not bash your teeth out, but I'll let you take your little book report without trouble."

"Are you trying to fucking coerce me?" he practically spat in surprise, instantly feeling disgusted all over.

"Seems like a good deal for a guy to me."

"Go fuck yourself."

"Nah, I think I'd rather it be you."

Panic rising, Willow held his back close to his chest and perked when he saw the librarian returning with an envelope. He practically swooped up her, graciously accepting the copy, before righteously pointing at the mare accusingly. "Madame, I would like you to escort this mare out and call the authorities, she has been threatening and harassing me."

The librarian looked at the mare, who dawned a confused expression.

"Honey, really? Look I know we had that argument this morning, but don't take it that far," she said smoothly, shaking her head. "I'm sorry I work so much, okay? Can we please stop bothering this lady and go home to work on that project?"

"What?!" Willow looked between the two, pointing at her again more furiously. "No, she is lying! I don't know her! She said- She said, that she was going to beat me with a tire iron!"

"Sir, please keep your voice down," the librarian hushed. "I don't know or care why you're fighting with your girlfriend, but if you're going to act like that, then you need to leave."

"But-"

"Don't make me ask you twice."

Shaken, Willow looked to the smiling stalker, then to the librarian. Then he made a break for the door, enhanced by the magical super speed. He fiddled with the communicator, struggling with it slightly in his panic despite the boon, before attempting to ring up Sandy. "Sandy, Sandy I think we've got a problem, we've got to hurry up and get this to where we need to go now-"

Meanwhile:

The shattering stopped as Sandy flew out of reach, and for the moment at least, he seemed safe. That is until his communicator started ringing with Willow's message.

"I have a copy of the newspaper," he said, stuttering somewhat. "But I'm being followed by a lackey of that guy. I, I think we should go check on Toola first, they might have-"

There was a yelp and large crashing sound from the communicator followed by a scuffling.

"Let's just hurry!" Willow insisted again, the rush of the wind roaring through the sound, evident of his flying away fast.
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:41 pm

September 10th
Leaving Businesspony's Drug Lab
Manehatten, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:"Sandy, Sandy I think we've got a problem, we've got to hurry up and get this to where we need to go now- [...] I have a copy of the newspaper, [...b]ut I'm being followed by a lackey of that guy. I, I think we should go check on Toola first, they might have-"

There was a yelp and large crashing sound from the communicator followed by a scuffling.

Sandy tried to shout "Willow!" back into his wedding ring – now a gold band around his left forecannon – but all that came out was a sharp neigh.

He whipped into a knife-edge turn towards Willow, then as his wits returned, changed plans. He alternated skimming above rooftops, cutting across blocks awkwardly for ground-pounding pursuers, with brief drops into the lower traffic to randomly make turns out of the sight of aerial chasers.

Even with independently-moving ears, he lost the Boon's song a few times while he focussed on the Songs the pegasoi and unicorns made as they flew or apported through the air. Sandy's own flight – much like a wrong-way speeder weaving down an interstate – was too erratic for him to even notice the swearing he was leaving in his wake. (But unlike a wrong-way speeder, Sandy wasn't actually a danger to the Equestrians.)

After a little while of this, he climbed high enough to catch Central Park's greenery. He then imagined an intercept course than would bring him to Willow a few blocks from the park. He dropped back down to rooftop-skimming. If somebody was following Willow, they'd get to tangle with the both of them... ideally by surprise. When Sandy got close enough, he'd look for Willow's 'lackey'.

Which – now that he had a few minutes to think about it – how the hell did they find Willow in the first place? An actual marathon flier, who just happened to work for the omniverse's cheapest drug lord? Nah... Scrying? It couldn't be ruled out, as couldn't the revised hypothesis that the unicorns had their own spells to provide untiring flight. Agents in place? In the park? In the retirement home? Even without electricity, long distance communications are certainly possible, and equine hearing makes sfyria, and whatever it was Xenophon was referring to, work very well.

He shook his huge, white head: the cloak and pistol routine was something for Amanda, and even she was just a dilletante.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:18 pm

Manehatten.-

Meanwhile, on the ground, Willow continued a mixture of flying and walking at the increased speed Sandy's magic gave him. For a few moments, he actually paused in fear to remark upon it — he was going at a rate he'd only seen Rainbow Dash and some his other stronger former classmates go at before. Willow wasn't a weak flier by any means, but he was also notoriously unathletic and a bit klutzy when he tried his hand in that area. Once again, he felt himself seized by that odd, contradictory anxiety that accompanied these differences.

He checked over his back, and found that the lackey chasing him wasn't anywhere in sight. That was no comfort though. He might have outpaced her, she might have melted away to stalk him again from a distance, he couldn't be sure. If she was a professional, it could easily be the latter. He didn't want to take any chances, and he was sure she didn't either with the crowded streets around them.

Willow looked around, flying higher, searching for the obvious form of a giant white horse. Being in the air kept him out of reach of his stalker, however he suspected it also put him into better view and thus able to track him, though how he wasn't sure... it didn't matter, he supposed. He spoke into the communicator again. "Sandy, I'm close to the park. I'm okay for now, but I don't want to delay this any further. Are you sure there's nopony following you?"

Sooner than he'd expected, he made a downward glide back into Central Park, looking around frantically for any more lackeys.
she/her

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse