NATION

PASSWORD

Shores: Homecoming (Closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:15 pm

Hotel

Giovenith remembered something. She pushed the floral arrangement over to Meri, along with the card that came with it. "It looks like you made some friends at the vigil. Trust me, ponies make the best friends."

The Friendship Express

It wasn't difficult to find the train station and buy tickets to Canterlot, but a few problems posed themselves once the crew actually got aboard. Normally, pony architecture was large and general enough to accommodate humans, but the seats on board the colorfully painted steam locomotive were clearly built for short creatures whose legs did not sprawl out in front of them when they sat, being only a few inches above the floor. The backs of the seats were, likewise, not designed with much actually leaning in mind: horses' backs curved forward when they sat, not backward, so the dainty shapes of the seats were geared more towards looking pretty and separating the passengers' personal space than being comfortable. The seats were essentially no better than sitting their bums down on a child's stepping stool.

Giovenith considered this before the train took off. It obviously wouldn't be fair to demand that express employees make an accommodation for such weird creatures as them, but she also didn't think it would be wise to deal with something so awkward for what was bound to be a somewhat lengthy trip. She knew she could just sit cross-legged or perch with her knees up to her chin on the seat, but she wasn't sure how flexible the others were. Finally, with permission from the conductor of course, she settled on pulling a few ottomans and pillows out from her pockets, pushing the ottomans up against the seat in order elongate its seating range (which was easy since the space between the seats was bigger than on a human train, once again to accommodate the ponies' wider size), and the pillows against the backs of the seats so that there would be more support to lay back against. Perfect.

Soon, they were chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga-WOO-WOOOOO!ing along, and Giovenith watched out the window as the train pulled out of the colorful cottages of Ponyville and into the vast, spring-green valley that they had flown over just the day before. She looked up to see the whispy outlines of Cloudsdale hanging above, seemingly motionless like any other cloud. She smiled at the many flowers and occasional tree she saw in the valley, and tried to wave to the occasional group of ponies who were out having a fun summer day in the valley.

The base of the purple mountains that held Canterlot became steadily more imposing as they approached. Giovenith was used to mountains, the country she'd grown up in most was full of them, but none were as high or steep as these. Curious, she decided to open up her own copy of the guidebook that they had been given by Princess Twilight.

"The book says that Canterlot was built by the very first unicorns that ever came to Equestria," she explained to the others. "They picked these mountains as the territory for their tribe because of all the jewels that could be mined inside, and also because their old city had also been in the mountains." It seemed to be as Willow had said, that mountains were unicorns' 'natural habitat' the same way the sky was for pegasi. "It says that when the city was completed, they threw a huge celebration and invited the other pony tribes to it to celebrate their new unity, and that the event was so successful, it's still being held every year to this day, called the Grand Galloping Gala. The city was made the new capital of Equestria about a thousand years ago, after the royal sisters' old castle was destroyed in the Nightmare Moon tragedy. It was chosen for its strategic placement, since the mountains provide a strong natural defense against the outside. Because of its history, Canterlot is still known today for its considerable wealth, and is the epicenter of both high culture and academia in Equestria."

The train slowed and stopped briefly. Up ahead, permits were being checked, and once confirmed, the coaches were briefly consumed in darkness (still lit by the lamps inside of course) as the engine pulled into the first mountain tunnel.

Giovenith had also been in many subways before, so she knew what it was like to be in a train beneath rock, but this felt so much more... visceral, if that was the right word. This wasn't cement and dirt, it was natural rock, impenetrable and ancient. Ponies of millennia ago had chiseled their way through, and their work was still being used to this day. A few more chugs in darkness, and sunlight suddenly broke through the windows again, revealing a much higher up view than before. There was a loud roaring from the other side of the train, and Giovenith turned her head to see a giant, majestic waterfall spraying a light rainbow across the windows as they drove over it.

She looked back down at the book. "The mountains are home to a complex river system that ends in many waterfalls, resulting in great sight-seeing as well as natural technological and agricultural uses for the city."

This process repeated, with the Friendship Express powering on through dark, stony tunnels deep in the heart of the mountains, over ridges, over bridges, and over and past many waterfalls, until the spires of the city could be seen in the near distance. The view when looking down was stomach-twisting — even if it wasn't as high up as the clouds, something about the slippery steepness of the mountains (which were quite unclimbable by traditional means) made it a little more intimidating. The closer they got to the city, the more greenery started showing up too, beautifully cultivated patches of speargrass and clover and soft foliage. Finally, they exited another tunnel and the city itself came into view.

Canterlot was the opposite of Ponyville in many ways. While Ponyville consisted mostly of short cottages, Canterlot contained spires upon spires climbing high into the sky, almost defying gravity as some hung directly over the edge of the cliffs. While Ponyville's homes were mostly uniform, nothing in Canterlot looked alike to anything else, it was an eccentric splattering of twists, curls, windows, buttresses, bridges, and steeples, as if the architects had been competition with one another over who could be the more audacious and graceful. While Ponyville was stuffed with light, earthy shades, Canterlot was inlaid with deep purple, smooth ivory, and glimmering gold. Even from the distance, one could see the elaborate, swirling, starry patterns carved into the round roofs — heavenly bodies seemed to be a recurring theme, with many sharp star and sun shapes poking out from the poles and spires, and fittingly, the round form of an observatory telescope poking out amongst it all (Giovenith felt a pang.)

Another stop and check before the train was allowed through a series of heavy gates, and at long last, pulled up into a clean, fancy train station. The train stopped again, this time with a long toot signalling everypony that they had reached their destination.

The steam from the engine cleared, and Giovenith saw a familiar face standing at the loading bay.

"It's Willow!" she cheered, quickly collecting her ottomans and pillows so she could hurry to meet him.
Last edited by Giovenith on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:03 pm

Golden Horseshoe Inn and The Friendship Express, Equestria

After breakfast, the Belas returned to their room to change clothes, and emerged in much more formal dress. Amanda wore a skirted suit in her usual dark colors, but it had a decidedly feminine cut to it, and the baby-blue bow-tie added a playful or off-kilter note to it. She had the holocam fish pinned above her jacket's fake breast pocket.

Sandy was deep in tenured faculty dress: a button-down shirt with a lightweight vest and tie, but no jacket. With a job for life, he could wear a chiton and sandals to work, but apparently Amanda convinced him otherwise. He also carried a briefcase, apparently full.

Giovenith wrote:Finally, with permission from the conductor of course, she settled on pulling a few ottomans and pillows out from her pockets[.]

[...]
Before Giovenith's interior decorating, Sandy had been sizing the seats up with an eye towards shape-shifting, but once the work was done, he and Amanda sat down without comment. Amanda adjusted the pillows and ottoman so she was sitting diagonally facing the windows, her back resting partially on a folded pillow and partially on Sandy's shoulder. Sandy seemed not to notice as he opened his briefcase and dug out a magic primer and a notebook... and also Amanda's travel mug. He handed the mug to her, cast a spell over it, and the smell of Viennese coffee filled the air.

Ananda spent the majority of the journey being entranced by the scenery. Her attempts to prod Sandy into taking his nose out of his work were met by him looking up, smiling at the landscape, occasionally adding something like "It'll be there tomorrow, the next day, and as long as we stay", before looking back down and returning to his work. Once in a while, Sandy cocked his head as though he was trying to catch a faint sound, and sometimes, he seemed to be casting a spell, but even more than normal, Amanda's babblefish struggled to provide a translation of what it heard of his magic.

A bit more than half-way through the trip, after a particularly unsucessful attempt to get Sandy to look at cascading waterfalls – the spoilsport would just have to watch the holos! – she leaned up against his side to see what he was working on.

He'd divided a pair of facing notebook pages into columns, one titled in Greek, another in Arabic, and the last three in English: "Kite Book", "Synthesis", and "Equestrian Primer". Below were lists of terms in those three languages, along with plenty of Sandy's magical shorthand . There were many erasures and cross-outs in the lists, and from the way Sandy was flipping back and forth between a previous table and this one, it was at least his second try.

As Amanda tried to make sense of what he was doing, she noticed that some of the terms were underlined, and that she could read a few of the simplest of Sandy's arcane squiggles: earth, air, light, sun. She rested her head on his shoulder. "Do you have it, dear?"

"Mmmm." He looked up with a sour expression on his face, and spoke in quiet Greek. "Perhaps. The magic here plays by somewhat different rules, ummm, I think. I'm getting somewhere, though. Every time a monoceros picks something up with their... mmm, ability, I learn a bit more about what happens, and I can experiment with-- Their ousia is close to the surface, and is easy to work with.

"I'm still not sure what to pull or press, as though-- like you are, trying to get my stick to work." He smiled at the memory of Amanda trying to get it to change size, when as far as he was concerned, the instructions were printed on the side, and the buttons were clearly marked.

"Gee, thanks, dear." With that, Amanda straightened in her seat, and stood up. She patted her husband on the shoulder. "I'm out of coffee, so I'm going to see what they have to drink. Do you want anything?" She got back a head-down head-shake.

When Amanda returned a little while later, she was carrying a tall, flared glass full of something dark, and Sandy had put away the primer, though his notes were still on his lap. Amanda had a bounce in her step as she carefully made her way over his outstretched legs. "Look, Sandy! A rootbeer float!"

That got Sandy to look up, smile, and follow her with his eyes as she sat down beside him. She scooped out a bit of vanilla ice cream with a long spoon, holding it close in front of his face. "Man does not live by studying magic alone."

Sandy took the offered ice cream, but his expression turned hard, and his voice had an edge to it. "No, man lives by mastering magic and bending to his will."

Amanda recoiled and was visibly alarmed: she'd heard spellcasters talk like that before, but never Sandy. But before she could think of what to say or do, Sandy burst out laughing, grinned hugely, and gave her a hug. "I need a break anyway. My brain is full." He swung his legs over to her ottoman, halfway pushing her legs over and halfway just following them as she returned to sitting diagonally, now with Sandy next to her.

Amanda turned part-way round to feed Sandy another spoonful, and then she snuggled up against him, causing him to put his arm around her. Amanda beamed at him. "Just like when we were first married and could travel."

Sandy momentarily pulled away to answer her. "We travel. We are traveling. It's just a little different now."

The Belas watched the mountains roll past. After a while, Sandy started flicking tiny fireworks from his fingertips in colors matching the landscape, to Amanda's enjoyment. Gradually, she became aware that Sandy's fireworks were changing, becoming more vivid, and as she focused on them and what Sandy was doing, she realized he was adjusting his spell, the wording different, and the gestures subtly altered. But as the fireworks changed, they became fewer and smaller.

When she noticed that his fingers had colored auras around them the way the way the unicorns' horns did, she turned her head to ask, "Sandy, what are you doing?"

He answered, in Greek, with a big grin. "The spell is drawing from their ousia. I've got it jury-rigged to work at all, so I can't draw as much as I can the normal way, but the results are... striking." Amanda gave him a dubious look, unsure what to think of that.

Sandy kept tinkering with the spell, the fireworks shrinking to inch-tall things, but intensely colored and very bright. Amanda's babblefish suddently switched to a clear translation of what Sandy was mumbling: he was reaching for purer and purer sunlight, and getting closer and closer to succeeding. "Uh, Sandy, are you sure you should--"

Sandy made one final adjustment to his casting, but the spell didn't do anything. "Um, Sandy? I thought sorcery couldn't fail." Her tone was worried; spells suddenly failing was a warning sign that the caster was about to get raked by the Claws; under the circumstances, seared by sun-fire. She rested her hands on his wrists: even though he might make a scene, she could stop him from playing around.

He kissed her on the side of the head, and replied with mirth (and still in Greek). "It can if the well I'm drawing from suddenly dips below the levels of my fingers." Amanda shifted around to face him with wide eyes and a gaping mouth, but his tone was unchanged. "No, I'm no Prometheus, stealing fire from the gods. I tried wetting my fingers in Her well, and She wouldn't let me. The end." Sandy seemed to be reading her mind. "No, I don't think a smiting is about to follow. If She... was, uh, bad mood-- if She objected, I wouldn't have survived trying. Plugging things into high-voltage outlets either kills you or it doesn't. I... should be fine." Sandy gave Amanda another look; she was still stricken.

His grin widened. "You wanted to have words with Her, She already... knows I'm here, so there's no harm in making ripples in Her well.

"Anyway, what did the ogres call me? 'Audacious'? La fortune sourit aux audacieux!'

Amanda gave him a dirty look and shook her head. "La curiosité est un vilain défaut." Even with a babblefish, Sandy was no match for a francophone in the bon mot game. Amanda let her hands slip down to take hold of Sandy's. He gave up, and nodded at the view out the window. "Look! We're almost there!" The spires of Canterlot were visible in the distance.

They spent the rest of the trip like that, cuddled together, watching the city grow closer. The stop at the tunnel drew their attention – as did the mention of a recent invasion – but even Sandy admitted it wasn't something they could check on now.

Giovenith wrote:The steam from the engine cleared, and Giovenith saw a familiar face standing at the loading bay.

"It's Willow!" she cheered, quickly collecting her ottomans and pillows so she could hurry to meet him.

Both Amanda and Sandy were sufficiently distracted trying to guess what was what in Canterlot that they had to hustle to put their things away and pile out with everybody else. They trailed behind Giovenith as she ran to greet her former roommate.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Canterlot

As with most of the places they had visited, the humanoids garnered some stares and attention, but it was all brief and polite. Some didn't seem to mind the Belas' affection, while others sniffed judgmentally — a normal mixture of reactions, like on Earth.

Willow smiled and opened up a wing to return the hug that Giovenith invariably came at him with. He nodded to the others in greeting.

"Good to see you didn't have any trouble getting here," he said.

"You've got new clothes!" Giovenith remarked, standing back and smiling as she patted him.

He looked down at the ensemble he'd chosen that day, a white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled all the way up underneath a short-sleeved black shirt. He'd also switched out his old wristbands for a series of skinnier, more chic black bracelets. "Yeah, well, when you've been wearing basically the same thing for five years straight, you know?"

She nodded, understanding. "So, how did it go with your mom and dad?"

"Better than I expected."

"They're okay with you being away from them again?"

"Oh, no," he said. "Of course not. But they know to give me my professional space too. They're hanging around somewhere, but they'll probably leave us to our business."

"Oh, that's right!" she clapped her hands together, smiling even wider. "This is basically you going back to work for the first time in years!"

"In a way." Willow turned, gesturing them along. "Come on, we don't want to be too late. The show is taking place in the ballroom at the palace."

Willow lead the group through the polished, stony streets of Canterlot. Once more, the differences between it and Ponyville stood out: The buildings were all considerably taller and much more decorated, with lots of curled iron lampposts, hanging flowers, and colorful canopies. There were old-fashioned flags next to modern, high-end cafes and boutiques. The impression that the place gave Giovenith was if one had taken a Renaissance faire as a foundation and built a gated community on top of it.

"This place is so facy," she remarked.

"Yeeeeaaah," said Willow. "It's the place for everything elite in Equestria. So, a bit of a warning — don't get me wrong, there are lots of great ponies in Canterlot, Sterling and Twilight are from here — but sometimes ponies here can be a little..." He held up his chin and made dour expression while flopping his wrist in a dismissive manner, imitating the stereotypical movements of a prissy, rich person. "... so try not to get too mad if it seems like somepony is rude to you here. We're here to have a good time though, alright?"

"Right!" Yes, indeed. The best time! "And we really get to go inside the Princess' home?"

"The palace is actually used for a lot of events," he explained. "It's also where Princess Celestia's magic school is located. So it's more than just her home."

It took quite a bit of a walk, but the group finally came over a grassy hill that looked down on a tall watchtower with two staircases at the bottom leading inside. At the door were stationed two white stallions in golden armor. Willow nudged Giovenith, who produced the silvery VIP pass, which allowed the group inside.

Giovenith looked over her shoulder until they were out of earshot of the guards. "Were those real guards?"

"Yes," said Willow. "They're members of the EUP, the royal guard of Celestia. There are other parts of the military who do different things and dress differently, but I'm no expert on that."

Being the palace that it was, the group took a relatively short route to the destination they needed to be in, no wandering they did not. Nonetheless, it was very scenic walk, the halls being notable for their wall, arched ceilings, the baskets of drooping flowers hanging from high above, the little streams flowing in the corners of the halls (connected to the river system of the city itself), and most of all, the numerous, large, stained glass windows. The windows seemed to be the focal point of much of the architecture, and they depicted sweeping cosmic landscapes, of the horizons of planets and of distant clusters of stars. It contrasted with human stained glass in this aspect, being as much of the former was created before a wide interest or accurate understanding of outer space.

Finally they opened up two doors to a massive ballroom, where soft music played and several false walls had been set up to display the pieces. There was already a hardy dinner of chatter from the crowd below. The walls were covered in floor-to-ceiling clear windows that showed that the outside of the building was surrounded by a lush garden, and the centerpiece of the room was yet another one of the giant alicorn stautes Sandy had first seen in Cloudsdale.

Giovenith beamed at the whole set-up. It was a real fancy art show!

"Whelp, let's get to it," Willow said, moving forward into the crowd.
Last edited by Giovenith on Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:32 pm

Canterlot, Equestria

Amanda and Sandy followed behind Willow, Amanda admiring the architecture, and Sandy studying it. He seemed to be expecting to find something, but hadn't yet. If the invasion reached the city, there will be scars. The unicorns have magic, but the Corellians have sophisticated material culture and incredible wealth, and even they can't cover up the scars of their wars.

But did the invasion reach this far? A city of spellcasters seems like it could defend itself more than adequately against nearly anything, even if they were amateurs or reservists. And what they couldn't stop, Celestia could. ...Or does Equestria face rival states with their own pantheons, and the present peace is an exception, and this world is just like home? And if they do, where are the city's walls? Where are the warding enchantments?

Sandy had to apologize more than once as he nearly tripped over people while searching rooflines and windows for damage.

Giovenith wrote:"Oh, no," [Willow] said. "Of course not. But they know to give me my professional space too. They're hanging around somewhere, but they'll probably leave us to our business."

"If they don't," Amanda began, "we can run interference for you. Just ask if you need it."

Giovenith wrote:"Yeeeeaaah," said Willow. "It's the place for everything elite in Equestria. So, a bit of a warning — don't get me wrong, there are lots of great ponies in Canterlot, Sterling and Twilight are from here — but sometimes ponies here can be a little..." [...] "... so try not to get too mad if it seems like somepony is rude to you here. We're here to have a good time though, alright?"

Amanda's expression shifted suddenly: a corner of her mouth curled up in a feral smile, and she had the look of somebody about to engage in a guilty pleasure. "Oh, that kind. The trick is to cut them down to size without being rude oneself." With a significant look, she asked Sandy, "A little make-up to look the part, if you would."

He shook his head, and muttered disapproval, but cast the Boon nonetheless. Once again, Amanda radiated the sort of natural beauty that broke men's hearts, and she seemed to flow effortlessly as she moved. Sandy admired her grace for a little while, then hissed a barely audible Arabic warning. "Don't try that around the Princess, though, or you might give the game away... or be thought to play a game you don't, um, understand-- aren't a part of."

Giovenith wrote:"Yes," said Willow. "They're members of the EUP, the royal guard of Celestia. There are other parts of the military who do different things and dress differently, but I'm no expert on that."

"A standing army?" Sandy looked puzzled. "Why?" I have an answer, but Willow will have another. Perhaps Celestia does save, or perhaps all the Princesses do as a unified group. Or perhaps they only help those who help themselves, and the army is necessary for them to act... or their war magic is sympathetic, and and people in uniform are needed for it to work.

Giovenith wrote:Finally they opened up two doors to a massive ballroom, where soft music played and several false walls had been set up to display the pieces. There was already a hardy dinner of chatter from the crowd below. [...] "Whelp, let's get to it," Willow said, moving forward into the crowd.

While Sandy went to check his briefcase – there must be a coat check – Amanda scanned the crowd as she followed Willow, and she smiled at anybody who seemed to catch her gaze. Might as well start the seeing and being seen. "Is there anybody you can introduce us to, Willow? Other artists, local luminaries?"
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:01 pm

Canterlot

Willow laughed quietly into his hoof at Amanda's eagerness to stand up to the snobs and prudes. That was one thing he didn't mind one bit, he himself liked an opportunity to shut down rudeness when it reared itself. He perked at Sandy's question, at first confused by it, but then understanding as he figured how the differences in their two cultures' may lead an outsider to be confused about the need for defense. He paused, considering how to explain what was ultimately a complicated answer.

"Well, not every problem we have needs princess-sized sticks, and the princesses can't be everywhere at once regardless," he said. "And like I said when we first got here, this planet is big and filled with lots of different magic and creatures. Equestria probably has some of the most powerful magic in the world, but that's not a reason to not be on the lookout. Trust me, things can get... overwhelming, some days."

As was usual anywhere the group went, the humanoid figures attracted a lot of stares, some brief, some long. The reactions were a mixed bag, with some ponies seeming wowed, some only mildly curious, and others intensely critical. They passed a large, wooden installation piece as they kept walking along.

"Mm, I've got my friends, and my not-so-much friends," Willow admitted. "Though some can be-"

Suddenly, a previously unseen panel in the installation piece swirled around, briefly revealing a deadpan-looking pony attached to it. This pony quickly grabbed Willow without preamble or regard, pulled him tight, and swung around the panel again, the both of them disappearing into the mysterious other side.

"Ah!" Giovenith grabbed her head and shouted in shock. "Willow!"

Frantically, she scuttled back and forth in front of the piece, trying to figure out how to get past it. Her panic stopped momentarily to nudge at the panel experimentally, seeing it opened easily. She promptly jumped through, where she found the two ponies simply on the other side. The panel kidnapper was hugging a wide-eyed Willow's neck tight.

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Sssstreaks." The Earth pony greeted in a bored, fried, monotone, petting Willow's hair. He still wore an unconcerned, deadpan expression as if nothing he did was unusual. "You have finally returned from your trip down the road of life, and have gifted us with your presencccccce..." He switched to squishing Willow's cheeks as if he were a small child. "How very uh-holidays-with-the-twinkle-lights of you."

Willow gently pushed away the other's hooves with an eye roll and smiled to the others reassuringly. "Guys, this is, uh, Warble. He's a frequent presence here."

Warble, as he was known, was wearing a black turtleneck much in the fashion as his friend once had, sunglasses indoors, and had apparently straightened his mane out to a nice bob with a metallic blue dye. He wasn't shy to quickly step up to the humans, lowering his sunglasses a bit to get a good, long, up and down look at them before replacing them.

"My dears, you are quite tall," he stated. "You are like, what they say, a precarious tower looming over the ruins." He shot a foreleg into the air suddenly in fierce declaration. "I like it!"
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:37 pm

Art Show
Canterlot, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:"Well, not every problem we have needs princess-sized sticks, and the princesses can't be everywhere at once regardless," [...] Trust me, things can get... overwhelming, some days."

Sandy began follow-up questions – where were the walls and wards? Why don't wee see patrols on the ground or in the air? – but cut himself off after only the first syllable. He'd ask later. Or perhaps somebody else. Willow doesn't seem like he'd fit into a peace-time military, and he seems too young to be a reservist or veteran.

Giovenith wrote:Suddenly, a previously unseen panel in the installation piece swirled around, briefly revealing a deadpan-looking pony attached to it. [...] The panel kidnapper was hugging a wide-eyed Willow's neck tight.

As Giovenith checked the front of the installation, Amanda stepped around to its rear, sliding her hand into her purse and effortlessly – and almost invisibly – closing it around the butt of her stunner. There were only so many places to hide in the piece, and only a few ways out. Unless it was set up over a trap door, the kidnapper wasn't going to get by Giovenith and her.

Giovenith wrote:Warble [...] wasn't shy to quickly step up to the humans, lowering his sunglasses a bit to get a good, long, up and down look at them before replacing them.

Amanda met his gaze evenly. Sandy cocked his head at the odd pony, rubbing his jaw as he thought about similarities in personality in different timestreams.

Giovenith wrote:"My dears, you are quite tall," he stated. "You are like, what they say, a precarious tower looming over the ruins." He shot a foreleg into the air suddenly in fierce declaration. "I like it!"

Amanda returned his enthusiastic gesture with an indulgent smile. "I'm glad you approve of our stature, though I'd hardly dismiss you and Willow as ruins." Her grin showed more than a trace of mirth as she spoke. "Are you an artist too, Warble?"

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Canterlot

Warble replaced his sunglasses and stood back, apparently checking a hoof. "I am a witness," he said. "To the happening."

"He paints and takes pictures," Willow translated.

"Streaks!" Warble snapped his attention back to Willow, expression still plain and serious as ever. "You must attend my premiere! I am perfecting transcendence. You will have the password now." He came close to whisper something in the pegasus pony's ear, before snapping backwards again and observing the rest of the group. "Are they cool?" He said the word with a certain emphasis, in a way that elevated it above a casual use of 'cool.'

Willow looked back at the group, then back to Warble and nodded. "More than they look," he said, in a teasing tone.

"Mmmmmmooookaaaaaaayyy..." The artist took another moment to stand there silently, apparently considering the humans from behind dark shades. "I willllll do much to herald your presence to our fellow travelers."

With that, he turned tail, about to trot sharply away. Willow nodded appreciatively for a second, before seeming to consider something, and reaching out to stop Warble.

"Wait," he implored. He narrowed his eyes. "Um, she's not here... is she?"

Warble lowered his glasses again, critically. "Who? Oh. Your bitter muse of the rage, and the yanking, and the yar-yar-yar..." He replaced his glasses and flopped his wrist in a dismissive 'talking' motion. "Of coursssse she is here."

Here, Willow's expression pinched with anxiety.

"Oh would you stop being so sour," Warble breathed, annoyed. "Even I am not in the mood today for your theatrics."

"I'm not sour," Willow insisted. "She's crazy."

"You're both crazy," Warble stated bluntly. "Try to be a little less crazy today, yes?" And with that, he finally trotted off.

Giovenith joined his side. "What was he talking about, Willow?"

He almost didn't hear her, busy as he was trying to internally slow the beginnings of his panic. The cave, the memories, the pain... he shook his head. It wasn't really her, he reminded himself. That was true, but her image might still not be the healthiest for him to deal with right now.

"It's nothing." He waved it off, and put on a smile. "Hey, I think I know some pieces that you would like, Giovenith. You guys too, Amanda, Sandy. Come on, let's go find them..." And he lead the way, godling following close behind.

They hurried past one of the upward staircases as they did, at the top of which stood a familiar figure, the young punk-rock pegasus-pony from the Ponyville vigil, Goldie. Next to her was what appeared to be an elderly unicorn, with dark mane tied back in a tight bun and her right eye closed up as a result of some kind of scar. They were both able to survey the entirety of the show, but their attention was focused on one point, Sandy. She smiled at him.

"Isn't this your style, Gio?" Willow asked, stopping at a makeshift wall that held a 60 x 63 inch abstract piece made from silvery, metallic paints. "The title says it's called 'Moon Palace.'"

"Wow!" Giovenith held her hands to her cheeks and her eyes twinkled. "It's so ethereal and shiny!"
she/her

Solisian Union
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Solisian Union » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:29 pm

Giovenith wrote:Paperland

"It's okay. It's nice to meet you, Dom," the horse said. "My name is Sallow. This is Ms. Prism..."

He pointed to the pale, smiling girl who had helped Dom escape.

"... and this is Samantha."

He pointed to the girl with the gun.

The waterbear who had aided Domenica before waddled in, running circles around the group before settling at Ms. Prism's feet.

"Those paper soldier guys showed up about a week ago," Sallow explained, pointing towards the flap of the tent where sirens could still be heard. "We don't know where they came from or what they want, but they always occasionally show up and attack us. We didn't want to ask the flesh people for help because they've got their own problems to solve, but we're not sure how much longer we can run and hide from them."

Domenica felt sorry for them. She wanted to help them, but if she tried to use some of her fire abilities, she could burn them all, and if she tried using water, she could also drown them all. She thought about her own powers and then returned to reality, realizing they were talking to her.

She smiled at them and said, "Thanks. It is also nice to meet you all. Tsada kaayo." She giggled and looked out of the tent before she returned her attention towards them and said, "So, you mentioned there were flesh people. People like me, you mean? Maybe they can help us, and maybe if they can then they can also help you guys get out of this place or just get rid of all of those paper soldiers?"
^_^

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Art Show
Canterlot, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:Warble replaced his sunglasses and stood back, apparently checking a hoof. "I am a witness," he said. "To the happening."

"He paints and takes pictures," Willow translated.

Amanda's smile crept further up her face, but she managed not to laugh. Sandy couldn't help but chuckle, but seemed to be facing something elsewhere in the hall when he did.

Giovenith wrote:Warble lowered his glasses again, critically. "Who? Oh. Your bitter muse of the rage, and the yanking, and the yar-yar-yar..." [...] "Of coursssse she is here." [...] Giovenith joined [Willow's] side. "What was he talking about, Willow?"

Amanda glanced between them, and finding Giovenith just as puzzled as she was, turned to Sandy.

He shrugged as he followed Willow, and whispered as he and Amanda dodged and weaved their way through the crowd as they tried to keep up. "Bad breakup? Frenemies? Since we don't know the, uh... mores, possibly even his ex."

Amanda's stride faltered, but Olympus' magic was too good for onlookers to think it was anything but deliberately exaggerated for effect. Historian 1, lawyer 0. A century ago, I could have been married at fifteen. Here? She shook her head once. Sandy's guess would explain Willow's reaction perfectly. Lordy, I hope this isn't going to be awkward for him!

Giovenith wrote:Next to [Goldie] was what appeared to be an elderly unicorn, with dark mane tied back in a tight bun and her right eye closed up as a result of some kind of scar. They were both able to survey the entirety of the show, but their attention was focused on one point, Sandy. She smiled at him.

Amanda brushed past them without noticing either one, and Sandy's reaction was limited to a distracted "Hi!" to Goldie. Not only was his mind on other things, all that stood about about the pair was the unicorn's scar: they had no magic to heal an injury like that?

Giovenith wrote:"The title says it's called 'Moon Palace.'"

Amanda stepped around Willow and Giovenith to read the placard next to the work, before stepping back to take another look at it. She craned her neck, and looked to both sides. "Guys, there's more by the same artist over here."

Amanda walked down to each work in turn, taking the time to read each caption and examine the work before moving to the next. She started back up the row of paintings again, this time more slowly, her hands clasped behind her, finally returning to stand beside the two artist roommates. "They're all in the same style, but they're all recent. I guess she likes it.

"They're like looking through a gate or a fancy window onto an abstracted scene."

Sandy had stepped back even further than Amanda, though he examined each piece without moving. His reaction was limited to just a partial frown, and he walked in a slow circle to see what other works were nearby.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 pm

Canterlot

Willow looked thoughtfully at the painting for a moment, slowly panning his gaze to take in the other works.

"She's really leaning into that principle of using space as the focus," he said. "As well as using impression and feeling. Some might find that a little bit old school at this point, but it is what I try to do too. The use of reflective materials is a good twist, a lot of people would dismiss them in principle as trying to hard for mass appeal because people like shiny things, but I can see that she's trying to bring out the spatial arrangements by using the effects of light. It lends it that interactive quality that a lot of pieces strive for."

"Do you think she'll do one of a Star Palace?" Giovenith asked, clapping her hands together. "I love stars."

"Ummm, I don't know," Willow answered, half-listening, still apparently analyzing the piece.

"Will you make a Star Palace with me?" she asked brightly, gesturing to herself.

It took him a second to answer. "Maybe." His eyes drifted along. "Oh, that one looks bold." He pointed to it before gliding forward to it, pausing a moment to look at the seemingly lost Sandy. He considered the professor for a moment before smiling, very slightly smug. "Don't like contemporary, Sandy?"

Paperland

"They're all away on some trip," Sallow explained, peaking out the tent flap to see if the bad guys had gone yet. "We don't need to go, we live here. It would probably be best if you escape though, we can repair ourselves from being hurt, but you..." He looked her up and down. "... you're a fleshy."

The mime-girl next to him waved around a pair of scissors.

"Ms. Prism is right," Sallow nodded. "She could distract them while I help you back to safety! The last thing we want is for our new friend to get hurt because of us."
she/her

Solisian Union
Diplomat

Democratic Socialists

Postby Solisian Union » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:16 am

Paperland

"They're all away on some trip," Sallow explained, peaking out the tent flap to see if the bad guys had gone yet. "We don't need to go, we live here. It would probably be best if you escape though, we can repair ourselves from being hurt, but you..." He looked her up and down. "... you're a fleshy."

The mime-girl next to him waved around a pair of scissors.

"Ms. Prism is right," Sallow nodded. "She could distract them while I help you back to safety! The last thing we want is for our new friend to get hurt because of us."

The heart of the Filipino girl went out to them. Why were they willing to stay and to risk their lives just because of her? She told them, concern injecting itself into her words, "Ay, pero, kasi,...What about you? What will happen to all of you? Those paper soldiers are still out there. They can still hurt you and I won't be here to keep helping you." She then sighed at herself, trying to see if the soldiers really are still out there, saying to herself, "Ka complicated ba ani, oi. Pastilan naman itong situation. Maka daot sa adlaw og sa akong moralidad. My mother's not going to like it if I just leave these people behind."

She turned to them and told them, "Look, maybe I can do something before I go. How about that? I won't leave my own friends behind just because they don't want me to get hurt."
Last edited by Solisian Union on Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
^_^

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:32 pm

Art Show
Canterlot, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:"Oh, that one looks bold." He pointed […] to it, pausing a moment to look at the seemingly lost Sandy. He considered the professor for a moment before smiling, very slightly smug. "Don't like contemporary, Sandy?"

Sandy raised a hand, palm up in a non-committal gesture, and shook his head, frowning. "Too little cultural context for interpretation. I... I don't even know where to-- I can't be sure that artistic concepts we take for granted have meaning here, since we have--"

Amanda rolled her eyes at Sandy, causing him to momentarily glare back before smiling and turning to Willow. "We've had this discussion before. Both of our professions depend on interpreting older works, but there is a certain... reluctance to admit that both are therefore equally dependent on, uh, intellectual artifacts of particular times and places, not universals."

"Or a reluctance to admit overthinking the question."

Sandy went on, ignoring Amanda's jibe. "But I was just seeing what else was on exhibit. Back home, we would have divided this hall into smaller, self-contained spaces, so the openness and variety of works caught my eye."

Amanda turned toward the painting. "I agree with Willow: it's bold. The use of isolated, saturated areas of color on flat white produces drama. I really like the contrasting textures and forms as well, especially the lone L-shape, which seems to divide up the finger streaks from the rest."

"A little about the artist's life might help say what that means: a sense of isolation? A deliberate setting something apart? But that doesn't take reading a twenty-volume history of Equestria." She turned her head to wink at her husband, but found that he'd moved a few yards away.

Sandy took a look around from his new spot, then set off a brisk walk for a nearby sculpture. He stood in front of it for only a moment, looked over his shoulder, and then purposefully strode to Goldie and the old unimare. "Why are the two of you staring at me?" His tone was inquisitive, not confrontational, but tension in his shoulders and crossed arms betrayed hints of annoyance.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Paperland

"Oh, we don't matter much," Sallow reassured, dipping his chin with a smile. "We're only paper. You're more important than we'll ever be. But if you can do something to help distract them so you can escape, that would be great."

Equestria

"You can still think about what it makes you feel in your heart," Giovenith pointed out, though Sandy was already walking off airily as he tended to do by the time she said it.

"It could, but that might be a little too obvious," Willow said in response to Amanda. "Sometimes when people go this minimalistic, it's a commentary on the creative process itself. Everything starts out blank and small, so to have so little done points to an experience had mid-process. From that perspective, it reminds me a bit of dreamlike frustration, the sensation of trying to pull yourself together out of chaos and into cohesion, but feeling pushed back by the tides..."

"He used a small square to help make the lines!" Giovenith pointed out helpfully, approaching the side of her friend somewhat tentatively. "That could be part of him trying to build himself together, half way from splatters to a complex shape?"

"Then again, a lot of his other stuff doesn't seem to have that same set up," Willow thought aloud to himself, not really addressing Giovenith. "Still, there's a lot of tension and strong emotion there, the best way I could describe it is stomach-dropping, but in a good way like being on a ride or working your way through the dark. Amanda, let's say that these were in the context of your world's history, for the sake of experimentation, what would you say?"

Giovenith slowly stepped aside from Willow, suddenly feeling a bit intrusive in his presence. He seemed so serious about all this, not the calm, gentle fun the two of them usually had whenever they talked about art. Well... she'd wanted to spend time with him, but she guessed it was ultimately his own choice to spend it however he wanted, even if that didn't include her. He'd already had five years fill of her, after all. Subtly, so as not to catch the two's attention, she backed away to find other parts of the show to look at... Willow probably just needed some time.

Meanwhile, the two mares looked up at the human that had approached them. Goldie blinked with a soft smile.

"I'm sorry if we made you uncomfortable, Sandy, was it?" she said. "We met at the vigil yesterday. This is my friend, Inkwell."

"Wellll, you're even taller than they said!" the old mare laughed, giving him a friendly pat with her telekinesis. "And so handsome too!"

"We were just keeping an eye on you because we heard that you came here looking for something specifically," said Goldie. "And I thought that we should be here to help you with whatever you might need."
she/her

Solisian Union
Diplomat

Democratic Socialists

Postby Solisian Union » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:16 am

"Oh, we don't matter much," Sallow reassured, dipping his chin with a smile. "We're only paper. You're more important than we'll ever be. But if you can do something to help distract them so you can escape, that would be great."

The Filipina did not want to feel greater pain in her heart at having to leave them. She thought those words they said to her seemed sad. And she knew that they must not be heeded. She beamed, however, when she heard Sallow suggest she help them if she wanted to. Quickly, she thought of ideas, taking out some of her pens. Namely, she chose the pen of destruction, of magic, and of narration and music. She took some paper from her notebook and began writing down some basic spells. She made sure to wtite down a lot. Then she gathered them together in her hands after setting her pens down on her notebook.

"All right," she said to them, "I have some ideas. I wrote down some spells that should not hurt this world but should give us all some force against those soldiers. We're gonna have to crumple them and fold them up. If not, we're gonna have to cut them up."

She showed them the pages with the spells and told them, "These spells can work with you. I'm going to give each of you some spells which you can recite and use once per spell. Aim well. Make sure you don't hit one another."

She then showed them her pen of destruction. She made sure it was capped. "This is my pen of destruction. It's going to cause some kind of division in your world in case I need to use it as a last resort. Or if I have to keep them from getting over to our side. The ink inside is gonna corrode or eat whatever material I use this on. So be careful and keep away from the ink when I use this."

Then she sighed, looked outside, and back at them. "Are my ideas all right? You guys okay with it?"
^_^

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:19 pm

Art Show
Canterlot, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:"It could, but that might be a little too obvious," Willow said in response to Amanda.

Amanda's gaze went narrow as she considered if that was a deliberate affront. As Willow went on, she concluded it probably wasn't, but her expression changed slightly: still smiling, but now politely rather than cheerfully, and a careful observer would notice a guarded cast around her eyes.

Giovenith wrote:"Sometimes when people go this minimalistic, it's a commentary on the creative process itself. [...] it reminds me a bit of dreamlike frustration, the sensation of trying to pull yourself together out of chaos and into cohesion, but feeling pushed back by the tides..." […] "Then again, a lot of his other stuff doesn't seem to have that same set up," [...] Amanda, let's say that these were in the context of your world's history, for the sake of experimentation, what would you say?"

Amanda's expression warmed – she grinned as though enjoying a private joke -- as did her tone, but something other than a direct answer seemed warranted; let Willow reveal his own intentions. "I'd say you'd have an excellent way of engaging Sandy about the painting, and you should take advantage of it." She looked over by the sculpture, about to call to him, blinked at not finding him, and then began to systematically scan the crowd for him. He'd be hard to-- "Oh, he found somebody from the vigil."

She turned back to the pegasus artist. "He'll be back in a minute.

Amanda gave the painting a good looking over before addressing Willow again. "If this was from home, it would have to be modern or contemporary, not historical. The style is post-Impressionist. It might be Abstract Expressionist. That's a broad school." Which just about exhausted Amanda's knowledge of art history: one class 25 years ago did not an art historian make. "I could give you an opinion in that light."

Giovenith wrote:"I'm sorry if we made you uncomfortable, Sandy, was it?" she said. "We met at the vigil yesterday. This is my friend, Inkwell." […] "Wellll, you're even taller than they said!" the old mare laughed, giving him a friendly pat with her telekinesis. "And so handsome too!"

"Um, thanks," he said, uncertain how to react, shifting his weight awkwardly. "Patting people on the head is a common greeting here?" It would explain some things about how they managed without hands, though they seemed to do fine with hugging and nose-rubbing.

Her control is precise, though not like Starlight's was. Another scholar?

Giovenith wrote:"We were just keeping an eye on you because we heard that you came here looking for something specifically," said Goldie. "And I thought that we should be here to help you with whatever you might need."

"Uhhh, I wasn't..." He rubbed the back of his head, trying to recall what he might have-- "Oh! Amanda wanted to see the art show, though I... Right, she wanted to meet the princess who's going to be here." Oh, boy! It was a long day yesterday... I wonder what else we said at the vigil. And if I could remember the princess' name, too, I'd be in much better shape.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Solisian Union wrote:

The Filipina did not want to feel greater pain in her heart at having to leave them. She thought those words they said to her seemed sad. And she knew that they must not be heeded. She beamed, however, when she heard Sallow suggest she help them if she wanted to. Quickly, she thought of ideas, taking out some of her pens. Namely, she chose the pen of destruction, of magic, and of narration and music. She took some paper from her notebook and began writing down some basic spells. She made sure to wtite down a lot. Then she gathered them together in her hands after setting her pens down on her notebook.

"All right," she said to them, "I have some ideas. I wrote down some spells that should not hurt this world but should give us all some force against those soldiers. We're gonna have to crumple them and fold them up. If not, we're gonna have to cut them up."

She showed them the pages with the spells and told them, "These spells can work with you. I'm going to give each of you some spells which you can recite and use once per spell. Aim well. Make sure you don't hit one another."

She then showed them her pen of destruction. She made sure it was capped. "This is my pen of destruction. It's going to cause some kind of division in your world in case I need to use it as a last resort. Or if I have to keep them from getting over to our side. The ink inside is gonna corrode or eat whatever material I use this on. So be careful and keep away from the ink when I use this."

Then she sighed, looked outside, and back at them. "Are my ideas all right? You guys okay with it?"

Sallow gawked in amazement as the girl described her powers, tentatively touching the pieces of balled up paper. After a moment, he nodded with a determined smile.

"Got it," he said. He kneeled down and tossed the giant waterbear onto his back. "On my count, Ms. Prism will take them on and we'll make a break for it. You can tear down anything that gets in our way."

Quickly, he lead her across the tent to the flap on the other side, subtly taking a peak out to make sure that there were no paper men outside it. He turned back to look at Ms. Prism, confirming with a nod. On the original side, the mime girl released her scissors with a shink.

"... Now!" Sallow declared, charging out of the tent flap.

On the other side, Ms. Prism lept out in a whir, setting to work on shredding her enemies.

Sallow galloped along, leading Dom through the winding, seemingly abandoned circus. He stopped a moment to navigate.

"If we just keep west, we should find the exit," he said. "We'll need one more burst of speed. Just-"

He gasped, stumbling backward as an aluminum bat swung towards him. Several of the paper men approached. Sallow looked up to Domenica.
she/her

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:40 pm

Giovenith wandered through the art show, looking for somewhere that she would be able to insert herself. Even though it was a place that was presumably meant for people to wander around and interact, she still felt a certain shyness grip her. What if she didn't introduce herself the right way and interrupted something important? All of the ponies here looked so sure of themselves and involved in the goings-on. A few years ago she would have felt prepared, like this was a dream come true, but now...

A soft floral breeze caught Giovenith's shoulder and drew her attention to a tall set of open doors, out of which she could see a few ponies coming and going to a spattering of green and other colors. The garden! That would be perfect, get some fresh air.

Giovenith crept around the doorway and into the lush, summer day. The outside garden was surrounded by high walls, though they were mostly blocked by the scores of foliage, flowers, and twisting structures meant to aid and eccentuate the flora. It was quieter out here, the murmur of the show inside distant to the sounds of rustling, bird song, and water burbling, much more calming. Going ahead, she spotted a group of about three ponies up ahead, lounging around a stone bench and talking. Giovenith brightened. Only three new people in a less anxious area would be much easier to talk to.

"... and so I said, Star Gazer, that is not Dada," said one of the ponies, adjusting her scarf. "That is Doo-"

"Hello," Giovenith piped, pulling herself up to the scene with a smile. "What'cha guys doing?"

The trio — two mares and a stallion, each decked in hipster-like ware — stopped a moment to stare at the creature that had just dropped in on them. Like most ponies, it wasn't as if they had never seen a non-equine before, but they hadn't seen anything like the bipedal monkey before them.

"Hello...?" the initial mare greeted, raising an eye. "And who are you?"

Giovenith blushed a bit and rubbed the back of her head. "Um, well," she stumbled. "My name is Giovenith. ... I'm an artist too, like you!" That would be something they could relate on. Besides, that was what everyone was here for, right?

The ponies exchanged a skeptical look.

"'Kay," said the mare.

"Do you want to see some?"

"Suuuuuure..."

Excited, Giovenith dug into her pockets and pulled out one of her water color books. She flipped through the pages carefully and held one out as an example, showing off an elaborate splotched nebula of blues, purples, and pinks. The hipster mare carefully took it and examined it. Giovenith smiled with a certain certainty, lightly touching her own cheeks in a mix of bashfulness and pride.

"It's really hard to do that with water colors," she said. "But I've had a lot of practice."

"Oh, yes, I can tell," the mare handed back the book, somewhat carelessly. "It's cute."

"Oh, thank you!" Giovenith smiled brightly, and paused.

There was a moment of silence. One second, two, and things became awkward.

"... So..." the godling ventured, gesturing.

The mare raised an eye, frowning. She shrugged. "I said it's cute."

"Just, cute?"

"Well I mean," said the mare. "It's pretty and all, but it doesn't really say anything. Don't get offended about it, like I said, it's, cute." She waved a hoof, as if fatigued at having this conversation.

Giovenith blinked and looked back and forth between the painted page and the pony.

"Honestly, are ponies really still doing the whole quirky space girl routine?" the stallion piped up, audibly annoyed. "It's always either space or rainbows, that's like the go-to thing for all these kiddies who think they're deep."

"Yeah, I know," sighed the mare. "Kitsch just goes through its phases, don't worry about it."

"Yeah but this phase has been going on for so long," whined the other mare. "Remember a few years back where they were all painting flowers and puppies and junk like that?"

"Ugh, that was awful. Though at least painting a dog takes a little more practice, you know? You couldn't just put some dark blots and white splatters down and be all, 'OMG it's the whole univeeeerse!'"

Giovenith quietly folded up the pad and replaced it in her pocket as the trio continued to chat as if she weren't there. Willow hadn't ever told her any of this. Maybe he felt sorry for her? She wasn't a good artist after all? Well, what else could she expect? I can't do anything right... she thought to herself, stepping back a bit as she squeezed back tears.

THWAP! The trio's chattering was suddenly interrupted by a pink blur swinging down from the tree branch that hung above them, knocking them off their perch on the bench and into a tangled pile of pretentiousness. Giovenith scattered backward, taken off guard. She looked back to the bench, where the blur had solidified and perched, looking down at the trio with aloof judgment.

"You've got a problem with kitsch?" the newly arrived pony asked, smiling with satisfaction as she crossed her front legs. "I think you need to loosen up and have some fun."

The hipsters quickly untangled themselves, initially looking furious, but they quickly lost that anger when they laid eyes on who had kicked them over. Giovenith looked her over too: she was an Earth pony, pink as can be, with a bob manecut of yellow, orange, and magenta, and interestingly, a tail of completely different colors, blue, green, and purple. Giovenith had never seen a pony yet with a mismatched mane and tail.

"Th-There was no need for that, Roola," the leader of the trio tried to protest the assault, but it lacked bite.

"There was no need for that." the assailant, Roola, reached out and booped the hipster on the nose. "I heard how mean you were to this girl! Maybe if you hate fun so much, you don't need to be at Warble's premiere."

"That's not for you to decide!"

"Who's he really going to listen to?" Roola primly winked at them while adjusting an elaborate headband crown of exotic flowers that rested on her head. "You, or me?"

Not wanting to suffer this any longer, the trip quickly collected themselves and ran off. Roola smiled after them before daintily hopping off the bench and trotting up to Giovenith.

"Don't listen to them," she reassured gently, switching from a smug smile to a sincere one. "Your art is beautiful. I love the stars!"

"Th-Thank you..." Giovenith made a motion to wipe her tears with her elbow.

"My name is Toola Roola. What's yours?"

"Giovenith."

"Nice to meet you, Giovenith!" Toola leaned in close, smiling even wider. "Hey, I don't mean to be rude, but are you what I think you are?"

"Um, what do you think I am...?" the godling became nervous.

"Oh, I'm an expert on these things!" Toola grinned and waved a foreleg dismissively. "It's really quite clear."

"You are?"

"Yes!" Toola nodded vigorously. "You're a sasquatch!"

This took Giovenith by surprise, and replaced her sadness with confusion. The Earth pony in front of her grinned. "Uhh, no. I'm a... human."

"Close enough!" Toola dismissed, unperturbed. "At least I think so. What is a human?" She gasped with excitement, rearing slightly. "I want to hear all about where you come from! Is it very far away? Or could we go there for lunch? Oh, oh, we could go on an adventure there, you and I! I'm an expert on backpacking too you know, I was a Golden Guide in the Filly Guides, I got all the badges in wilderness survival! We'll make s'mores together! Unless you don't eat s'mores. Do you like sweets? Because I know a..."

The pony slowed down when she saw the glumness in Giovenith's expression. Her ears folded with concern.

"Hey now, don't let those guys get to you," said Toola, moving to comfort the 'human.' "They're just a couple of wannabes."

"No, it's not just them," Giovenith wiped at her eyes again. "I've been, having a rough few days."

"What happened?"

"It's a long story."

"I've got plenty of time to listen."

Giovenith shrugged. She was sure that if her friends didn't have time to listen, this stranger hardly would. "I mean, I don't want to burden you-"

"Stop!" Toola held out a hoof. "Do not start with that 'burden' talk! Do you know what that is? That is self-imposed negativity, and I will not have it!" She shook said hoof. "Girls are always made to feel like they need to swallow down their feelings and be the support system for others, but that's just a stupid imposition. We have to be strong for ourselves first and foremost! Haven't you ever heard of the Law of Attraction?"

"No..."

"Whatever you put out into the universe comes back to you," Toola chided in a solemn tone, still wagging a hoof. "It's a scientific fact. They did a study on it and everything."

"I've never heard of that." Giovenith crossed her arms skeptically.

"It's true! It's why it's so important to not accept negativity in your life, including from yourself." Toola smiled. "Besides, don't you think talking about it would make you feel better?"

The humanoid girl thought about it. There had been so much on her mind lately, and she hadn't had an opportunity to share it with anyone. Normally she would have talked about these things with Willow, but this had been his time — that was the decision she made, but it was still a lot to carry at the moment. Maybe telling it to a stranger was exactly what she needed? That way, letting it out couldn't really effect her normal life. After a moment, Giovenith smiled and nodded. "I mean, if you don't mind-"

Toola instantly nipped the edge of her sweater-dress, pulling her along excitedly. "I'll make you a flower crown, just like mine! We're going to be great friends!"

Sandy

Goldie nodded with a smile. "Princess Cadance is a wonderful pony, I'm sure she'll have quite an experience here. But the other night, you told me that you are a teacher. If you came all this way to Canterlot, I assume you must at least have wanted to stop by our school, don't you?"

"I think he's just being humble-like about it!" Inkwell winked good-naturedly at Sandy. "Better than the opposite though! You don't get far here by banging down the doors and showing off what a magician you think you are, of course."

Amanda

Willow laughed lightly. "Well, maybe it's not the best idea to go full formal on things. Not yet anyway."

He stopped for a moment to take in the painting, seemingly all over again, leaning close to it with wide eyes and a thoughtful smile. After a pause, he drew back again.

"Actually, I do think I relate a lot to this," he said, with an almost relieved tone. "When I was younger, I used to be very lonely. I would spend a lot of time in my own little world, and I made that world little by little, based on what I needed at the time, and what made me happy. This reminds me of that early time, when I was just tipping over the edge from sadness into imagination, things taking form. Because you never just wake up happy one day, you know? You have to figure it out on the way. But I'm sure you already know that."

The fond memories were broken as another thought crossed his mind.

"I'm sorry, by the way," he said. "For pushing you back up in Cloudsdale. I didn't mean to imply anything about you, I just... care a lot about Giovenith. It makes me sad when she's sad."

The conversation and the wider murmuring of the ballroom was suddenly silenced by the sound of announcement horns. They drew the attention of the many artists and art appreciators to the front doors leading to the hallway, where a few guards had taken post. Some of the guards were notably striking in appearance, different from any of the ponies they'd seen yet; they were seemingly semi-transluscent, and covered head to hoof in a constant glowing shimmer, as if their whole bodies were made of diamond dust.

"It's the Crystal guard," Willow whispered to Amanda. "The Princess is here."

"Ponies of the show," one of the guards announced in a loud but formal tone to the gathering. An anticipation gripped the room. "And all beloved guests: Princess Mi Amore Cadenza."

The doors opened, and a subtle but powerful wave washed over the ballroom. It was love; but distinctly, if one was paying attention, a very temperant, modern version of love. There was no flaming obsessive passion, or urge to slavish devotion, or any other wild emotions cooked up in the imaginations of poets enthralled to the likes of Hathor and Aphrodite. It was far gentler, lighter, more wholesome. It was the sort of warm giddiness that one felt when on a summer outing with close friends, or greeted long-missed relatives into their home on a holiday evening, or engaging in nostalgia long into the night.

The wave followed the steps of the pony who came through the doors and down the steps. She was taller than most of the other ponies, likely coming up to the humans' necks, lifted up by slender limbs. She was a light blush pink, her large, soft-looking wings tipped in a violet gradient, and her mane and tail were a swirl of pinks, violets, creams, and light golds, each long enough to drag along the floor but just managing to not do so via the bouncy curls they ended in. She was wearing a series of golden plates in the form of a neckpiece and metal boots, chic and elegant, yet reminiscent of the armor the guards wore. There was nothing haughty about the way she walked, but it was graceful, a kind of friendly, confident trot that trembled the emotional wave she brought with her and excited the heart.

Everypony in the ballroom bowed at once, lowering themselves slightly on their upper knees, Willow included. They stayed that way until she reached the bottom of the stairs, upon which the formality of the room seemed to break, and a crowd excitedly rushed forward to greet and speak with the alicorn goddess, who welcomed them all cheerfully and casually.

Willow looked to Amanda. "It might be a little hard to get her attention. It's rare to see Princess Mi Amore down here these days, since she usually rules the north of Equestria, and everypony is going to want to get their chance to talk to her."
she/her

Solisian Union
Diplomat

Democratic Socialists

Postby Solisian Union » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:06 am

Giovenith wrote:
Solisian Union wrote:

Sallow gawked in amazement as the girl described her powers, tentatively touching the pieces of balled up paper. After a moment, he nodded with a determined smile.

"Got it," he said. He kneeled down and tossed the giant waterbear onto his back. "On my count, Ms. Prism will take them on and we'll make a break for it. You can tear down anything that gets in our way."

Quickly, he lead her across the tent to the flap on the other side, subtly taking a peak out to make sure that there were no paper men outside it. He turned back to look at Ms. Prism, confirming with a nod. On the original side, the mime girl released her scissors with a shink.

"... Now!" Sallow declared, charging out of the tent flap.

On the other side, Ms. Prism lept out in a whir, setting to work on shredding her enemies.

Sallow galloped along, leading Dom through the winding, seemingly abandoned circus. He stopped a moment to navigate.

"If we just keep west, we should find the exit," he said. "We'll need one more burst of speed. Just-"

He gasped, stumbling backward as an aluminum bat swung towards him. Several of the paper men approached. Sallow looked up to Domenica.

Domenica managed to follow after Sallow, hurriedly writing down some last minute spells for her own use. She also swapped her magic pen for the pen of narration and music, inserting into her notebook a certain song to play starting at the moment she stopped with Sallow when several paper men approached them.

It was go-time.

Looking at Sallow, she nodded and looked up to the paper men. She gave them a firm glare, her hands ripping off the pages of her notebook that contained the spells she needed for herself. She called out, facing her right palm open against the crowd of enemies, "Push!!!"

And the spell was cast, expelling a great invisible force that should push away the paper men at least several meters away from them. She followed the spell by casting another one, reciting it as she aimed the same palm against them, "Fold!"

And if the spell should work, the circus buildings in her way should fold up to form a barrier between them and the paper men.
^_^

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Art Show
Canterlot, Equestria

Giovenith wrote:"I think he's just being humble-like about it!" Inkwell winked good-naturedly at Sandy. "[…] You don't get far here by banging down the doors and showing off what a magician you think you are, of course."

"Yeees and nooo... I've seen many things here we'd struggle to copy at home, but..." A big grin split his face. "I'm probably the only person to make sorcery work with Equestrian magic. Not that you guys have any need for foreign magic, but it is interesting from a theoretical perspective.

"I do, uh, have some notes comparing what I'm used to to... your magic, which might be of some interest to scholars. There are some significant differences between what I'm used to and what's here, both in terms of how magic works and-- Spells need a different structure to harness and direct it."

Giovenith wrote:Willow laughed lightly. "Well, maybe it's not the best idea to go full formal on things. Not yet anyway. […] When I was younger, I used to be very lonely. I would spend a lot of time in my own little world, and I made that world little by little, based on what I needed at the time, and what made me happy. This reminds me of that early time, when I was just tipping over the edge from sadness into imagination, things taking form. Because you never just wake up happy one day, you know? You have to figure it out on the way. But I'm sure you already know that."

This was a different side of Willow than Amanda had ever seen before. "The only time I've ever woken up happy was just after Sandy proposed to me," she said with a fond smile, "but, yes, I know what you mean."

Giovenith wrote:"I'm sorry, by the way," he said. "For pushing you back up in Cloudsdale. [...] I just... care a lot about Giovenith. It makes me sad when she's sad."

"It's ok. You're a good friend, Willow."

Amanda turned at the sound of the fanfare. "Oh!" They certainly do pageantry well. The surge of familiarity caught Amanda off guard, and for a moment she was thinking of saying hi to the Princess, before she realized what it was. Is this what Sandy meant about the Muses and their auras?

But as the Equestrians curtseyed in fealty or reverence, Amanda stiffened, her head rocking back. "The hell??" Her exclamation was too quiet for anyone else to hear. This looks like Catholic mass! Well, she's neither my god nor my princess!

Amanda's head made a jerky turn as she strained to see how Sandy was reacting. Rather than finding him aping the locals following his usual 'when in Rome' routine, she found him looking around in wonder, distractedly rubbing his jaw with one hand. He nodded at something, but Amanda couldn't figure out what. Probably magic was her best guess.

Giovenith wrote:Willow looked to Amanda. "It might be a little hard to get her attention. It's rare to see Princess Mi Amore down here these days, since she usually rules the north of Equestria, and everypony is going to want to get their chance to talk to her."

Amanda glanced down at Willow, back at the cluster of worshippers around the Princess, and then back to him. "I'll give them a few minutes to get their chance. Trying to get between them and their goddess-ruler doesn't seem like a good idea.

"And She might notice us first. We do rather stand out from the crowd." Amanda looked out over the crowd again, then turned back to Willow.

Gently, carefully: "Why did you used to be lonely? Were you an only child?"

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:46 am

Equestria

Sandy

"Well, we don't have a whole lot of time to talk about all the bells and whistles," said Goldie, opening two of the doors leading into the hallway behind him. "But if you'd like, you can meet some of the most important students here. Maybe you can teach them a little bit about what you know. Don't worry, we'll come back to meet up with your friends again in a jif."

With that, Goldie and Inkwell lead Sandy out into and down the royal halls once again.

"The magic school goes back to the Old Country," Goldie explained as they walked. "It was one of the first things that the original unicorns refounded when they settled here in the mountains. They had an easier time preserving their old knowledge and culture than the other tribes due to being able to carry more with their magic, but there was still a lot to relearn and rethink in a new home. It used to be run by the Archmage of the tribe, but that tradition faded away along with many other things."

Inkwell nodded. "That's when Princess Celestia took it over, and she still runs it today. She sure does keep everything up to date and in tip top shape." She grinned at Goldie, who merely continued walking.

They turned into a new hall, this one much brighter from the large windows and more spacious, and stopped at a door.

"Here's the important students," she said, pushing it open.

They were instantly greeted with the smell of bleach and the din of high-pitched chattering. They were in a large, colorful room, topped with a dome of crystal that let the sunlight in at maximum shine, but bottomed with much cushioning, toys, and carpeting. Many small unicorn foals were running and cantering about, engaged in various hobbies of hoof painting, doll playing, or experimenting with telekinesis with various toys — or each other, which caused several squabbles of rough telekinetic shoving that had to be intervened on.

"We start at kindergarten," Goldie explained. "And work all the way up into college. Some of the students spend just as much time here as they do with their families, so it's very important to make this just as much a place of comfort, safety, and teaching good life skills as it is about teaching magic." She turned to look at Sandy. "You understand that, right?"

Amanda

Willow nodded with a smile at Amanda's memory, appreciating it. "Marriage isn't really my style, but I'm always happy when good people decide to make that step. It's an admirable challenge."

They watched for a moment as several children were ushered up to meet the Princess. They in particular seemed to light her up, and she took the moment to lean down and engage in what appeared to be an indepth conversation with each of them. Willow looked off to note that Sandy had disappeared beyond the doors with two other ponies, but knew the magician could take care of himself.

He lowered his chin and collected a moment from Amanda's question, undisturbed by it. "I was, but that's not why. I had a rough time growing up because I didn't fit in with the ponies around me. You may have noticed it a little before, but Cloudsdale has a bit of a culture of physicality — it's an unspoken thing, but they place a lot of importance on flying well and being fit and competitive in general. And you may have noticed too, I'm not exactly the brawniest guy around..."

He gestured around to the various stallions in the room. Upon pointing it out, it became clear how much the young painter stood apart from his sex, seeming to be a foot or so shorter than the rest and a good deal more slender, more comparable in build and features to the mares around them.

"... things could get rough as a kid if you couldn't keep up. I couldn't, and I was a crybaby about it too, god I cried about everything. Not many kids want much to do with the tiny whining freak who always fucks up their team in games. My parents are athletes too, so even though they supported me, there was always a bit of disconnect there. I had to work to find my identity by myself. Unfortunately, I know I'm not the only pegasus pony from the cloud city who struggled like that, but most of us turned out alright in the end."

He straightened for a moment, eyeing an opening near Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. He started a trot forward, appearing comfortable, but then suddenly stopped. His smile slowly dropped and his eyes widened as he froze into place.

Have you ever smelled something nice, but too intensely? Anything can be painful if you get too much of it. A pleasant floral scent will burn if you snort it directly. That was a similar sensation to how Willow began to feel. At first, he had been content with Mi Amore's presence like everypony else, but standing there, closer to her, something about it began to creep up inside him, intensify, and slowly burn at his core.

Willow doubled downwards, ears pinned and cringing in pain, drawing the attention of some of the crowd. He might have been embarrassed had the pain not stolen his attention and his ability to care.

"Streaks?" a pony walked up to assist him.

He let out a small scream that sent several ponies scattering backward. The princess stood by, staring intensely at the situation with deep violet eyes. Far back, her guards took some steps forward, but were halted by a slight spread of her wings.

"Can somepony please get some water or-" the pony who'd tried to help Willow paused and quickly backed away as the tall alicorn approached.

Willow managed to open his eyes slightly to see Mi Amore Cadenza looking down at him with concern, kneeling over him like a caretaker over a fallen child. She inspected him over for a moment.

"There's still some of it in you," she finally said, in the soft voice of a young woman.

"Wh-What-" A new strike of pain flew threw him, eliciting another scream and more gawking from the crowd. What's happening?! he thought.

"Princess!" somepony else approached. "We should bring him to the infirmary-"

"No," the princess gently rebuked, standing fully again. "Not yet. This is a complicated issue. Please, give him some space and let me handle it."

A teal light consumed Willow as the princess lifted him with her telekinesis, and she quickly approached Amanda.

"Come on," she urged. Not commanded, simply urged, as any peer on the street would. "You're his friend? We have to move him aside, this isn't going to be pretty..." With that, she carried the young pegasus away towards the garden doors in a hurry.

Willow was full-on screaming and thrashing by the time they made it through the doors and into a secluded part of the garden, the other show guests staying behind out of respect but still staring. Once Amanda had followed, the princess quickly shut the doors with her magic to seclude them.

"Let me go, let me go!" Willow screamed, trying to free himself from the teal magic. "Let me go!"

"Streaks, is your name Streaks?" the princess asked him, calm but clearly concerned as she set up him down. "It's going to be okay! Just trust me."

The princess closed her eyes for a moment and her magic intensified, becoming brighter and whiter, and the aura the other guests had felt before more powerful. It surrounded the small area around them and focused in on Willow, flowing through him and briefly consuming him in the same diamond dusted aura the crystal guards had been covered in.

Willow keeled over and vomited a stream of inky black liquid. It landed briefly on the ground before evaporating into a sinister, shadow-like smoke. Despite the grossness of it all, the princess pulled him into a tight hug and began to pat his back comfortingly as he puked up more of the blackness. They stayed that way for a while, until Willow finally stopped the horrible display, grew still, and the healing light faded.

"Are you okay?" the princess quietly asked, stilling hugging her subject as if he were a small child.

He stayed there for a moment, clearly burnt out and confused, before blinking hard and slowly pushing himself away while holding his head. The pain was gone. In fact, he felt much better than he had in months. She'd gotten rid of something he hadn't fully realized was there.

Willow shook his head and body, suddenly very embarrassed and confused, but clearly alert and okay. He looked back and forth between Amanda and the Princess, blushing slightly at the knowledge that... wow... he was here all alone with an alicorn. And she had hugged him. And was talking to him specifically. Yikes.

"What happened?" he asked.
she/her

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:21 pm

Solisian Union wrote:Domenica managed to follow after Sallow, hurriedly writing down some last minute spells for her own use. She also swapped her magic pen for the pen of narration and music, inserting into her notebook a certain song to play starting at the moment she stopped with Sallow when several paper men approached them.

It was go-time.

Looking at Sallow, she nodded and looked up to the paper men. She gave them a firm glare, her hands ripping off the pages of her notebook that contained the spells she needed for herself. She called out, facing her right palm open against the crowd of enemies, "Push!!!"

And the spell was cast, expelling a great invisible force that should push away the paper men at least several meters away from them. She followed the spell by casting another one, reciting it as she aimed the same palm against them, "Fold!"

And if the spell should work, the circus buildings in her way should fold up to form a barrier between them and the paper men.

Domenica's spells worked, easily shoving their enemies aside. There was a bit of damage to the surrounding world, but it would be easily fixable later. Sallow gave her a quick high five before leading her quickly along again until, in a sudden burst of light, they were back on the beach.

"We're safe!" Sallow breathed a sigh of relief, taking a moment to collect himself. "At least you are, but me and Ms. Prism can take care of the rest. We've got to get you to the other fleshies."

He lead her to the waves, stopping short of where the water reached.

"You just have to walk into the water," he explained, patting her back. "Don't worry, it's magical. You won't get wet or drown, and it will automatically take you to the others. They'll help you a lot better than we can." He took the liberty of pulling her into a hug. "Thank you for helping us, Miss Dom. You're a sweet girl. I can tell we're going to be good friends."
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:10 pm

Canterlot,Equestria

Magic School
Giovenith wrote:"Well, we don't have a whole lot of time to talk about all the bells and whistles," said Goldie, opening two of the doors leading into the hallway behind him. "But if you'd like, you can meet some of the most important students here. […] "Here's the important students,"[: m]any small unicorn foals were running and cantering about, engaged in various hobbies of hoof painting, doll playing, or experimenting with telekinesis with various toys — or each other, which caused several squabbles of rough telekinetic shoving that had to be intervened on.

Sandy beamed at the tikes. "Oh, they are cute!"

Giovenith wrote:"We start at kindergarten, [...]so it's very important to make this just as much a place of comfort, safety, and teaching good life skills as it is about teaching magic." She turned to look at Sandy. "You understand that, right?"

"I..." Sandy stared at her, blinking, completely surprised by the unexpected question. It took him an awkward while to come up with a start at a coherent reply, and he gestured with one hand, conversationally. "Well... uh, yes, socialization is considered-- We consider socialization an important part of early childhood edu...ca...."

He trailed off, hand still hanging in mid-air, as he replayed the conversation in his head. Well, well, well: are they Celestia's reply, or part of it? Are they the secular special police, assuming the distinction exists? And why let me in in either case? It sounds like they're going to show me the door in a minute. If this is an innocent conversation, it's got to be the most coincidental one I've ever had!

Might as well find out: an obol of fact is worth a talent of speculation. Start with what's at hand...

He picked up with his lost gesturing, his tone still conversational. "On due reflection, I have two questions, if I may. One, why bring up the topic of how your school works? Two, why do you consider these your most important students?" Will they give the trite reply to the second: 'youth are our most precious resource, et cetera, et cetera'? Or will they given me an answer entirely beyond our comprehension? Some of both? Something in between? This could tell me more about Equestrian culture than even their markets!

Art Show
Giovenith wrote:[Willow] gestured around to the various stallions in the room. Upon pointing it out, it became clear how much the young painter stood apart from his sex, seeming to be a foot or so shorter than the rest and a good deal more slender, more comparable in build and features to the mares around them. "[...] things could get rough as a kid if you couldn't keep up. I couldn't, and I was a crybaby about it too, god I cried about everything."

Amanda followed Willow's gaze around the room as she listened to the rest of what he had to say. The word he's looking for is 'sissy'.

Giovenith wrote:Willow managed to open his eyes slightly to see Mi Amore Cadenza looking down at him with concern, kneeling over him like a caretaker over a fallen child. She inspected him over for a moment. "There's still some of it in you," she finally said, in the soft voice of a young woman. [...extreme eliding...]

Willow shook his head and body, suddenly very embarrassed and confused, but clearly alert and okay. He looked back and forth between Amanda and the Princess, blushing slightly at the knowledge that... wow... he was here all alone with an alicorn. And she had hugged him. And was talking to him specifically. Yikes.

"What happened?" he asked.

Amanda knelt down to get closer to Willow's height. She reached out to comfort him, but withdrew her hand as he pulled away from the Princess.

"She cured you. Her magic let you throw up something black. It turned into smoke and disappeared. Sandy--" No, that would be a stupid thing to say.

She shifted her weight from one leg to the other, seeming to flow between facing Willow and facing the Princess. "Thank you. Thank you for curing Willow. Thank you for curing my friend.

"What...? What did you do for him? What was it?"

Other questions boiled to her lips. A childhood of learning to be polite and proper fought with more than half her life of learning the vile truths beneath the thin shiny wrappings of 'southern charm'... and working to correct them. Her face shitfted like putty under the workings of complex, powerful desires, as did her posture: tension flitted across shoulders, and she momentarily clenched her fists. Then, in a flash – and with divine help – she slipped on her professional mask, and all expression disappeared from her body. Almost all: even a mortal would still see worry around her eyes.
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Sandy

"Because you're here to seek knowledge and others like you, aren't you?" Goldie asked, tilting her head. "And because..." She looked to the children, becoming more serious for a moment. "... the most important part of magic isn't the abilities, or even the studying. It's perspective and appreciation. When you're in the business of knocking on the universe's door, it's easy to become careless, pithy, indulged. The worst magicians aren't the ones who have read or practiced less -- it's the ones who don't understand that not everything can or should be fixed by piling on another trick. The older you get, the harder that can be to learn, and the bigger the resulting mess left over for others to fix. It seems small and obvious, yes, but I've seen what happens when you take those foundations for granted."

She gave him a pointed look. It conveyed a lot of sadness. Soon though, she smiled and turned back to the children.

"Everypony!" Goldie called to get the students' attention. "Come along, gather round. We have a new friend that's come to talk to you."

All the small eyes instantly turned to the three grown ups who had arrived, expressions gawking when they caught sight of the hyoo-mun.

"Mister Bela comes from very far away and practices his own magic," she explained. She turned to him. "Maybe you can give them encouragement that helped you in your early studies?"

Amanda

Willow tensed slightly, wheels in his head turning. His heart started to beat faster as his memory slowly crept back towards a dark and cold place long ago...

The Princess frowned and looked between the two. "Streaks..."

"Willow Streaks, your highness."

She smiled and nodded. "Oh, thank you. You can just call me Cadance, by the way, no need for highness. Have you ever been to the Crystal Empire?"

"No... I mean, I've thought about it, but never got the chance."

Cadance frowned, further perplexed. She took a deep sigh, seeming to center herself. "You might have heard, but a few years ago, when I took over the Crystal north, my husband, the Elements, and I fought against the spirit of the evil king that had once oppressed the north centuries ago."

"I did hear about that," Willow said, rubbing his head. Apparently crazy descriptions like that were just par for the course here. "He's gone for good though, right?"

"We can hope," said Cadance. "But the thing is, even with him gone, the way he treated my subjects still has scars on them to this day... the dark magic, and the trauma alike." She gently poked his chest. "What just came out of you was some of that same darkness."

Willow wasn't sure what to make of that, but it wracked him nonetheless. What did King Sombra have to do with what happened to him in the Old Country? That was millennia before...

"Willow Streaks, please, I can't help you if you aren't honest," Cadance pleaded, ears folded. "Are you sure you weren't around the north during the battle? Did you run into anything else we haven't known about?"

He rapidly shook his head, not out of denial, but rejection of the questioning. He had just got over the first episode, the last thing he needed was to relive the caves.

"I'm sorry..." he managed to squeak out. "I don't want to..."

Cadance nodded sadly, deciding not to push. "You probably had that reaction because of the vicinity to me. His darkness is dispelled by the magic of the Crystal heart." She turned to Amanda. "Excuse me, I just want to check you too..."

There was another brief buzz of teal light, as a warm sensation flowed through Amanda's body. The alicorn concentrated for a moment, thinking, before releasing the magic with a smile.

"You're okay, magic wise anyway," she confirmed. "But both of you..." She looked between the two of them. "... you've been through some hard times, haven't you?"

"It's-" Willow stopped himself before he could claim it was fine. He briefly looked at Amanda, then back to the princess. "... Yeah. Maybe a little." He had to keep his promise, no more hiding from vulnerability.

There was a pop of light, and out of thin air, a pair of small silver necklaces appeared. Cadance levitated them over to the two.

"Listen, I know we've only just met, and this is all so sudden," she said, in a cautious tone. "And I know that this is ultimately your decision to make, but the spa in the Crystal Empire offers some of the best therapy in Equestria. It's been successful in treating the direct victims of King Sombra for years now, and it's a good place to find your center. Will you consider coming? It's free of charge, complete courtesy of the crown."

Willow carefully took the necklace and looked at it. Again, he found himself blushing from the weight of the situation. Great. I don't want be a shrink's ward, but am I really going to turn down a gift from the Princess of Love? Again, he looked to Amanda, searching for some kind of cue from her.
she/her

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Canterlot, Equestria

Magic School
Giovenith wrote:"Because you're here to seek knowledge and others like you, aren't you?" Goldie asked, tilting her head. "And because..." [...] When you're in the business of knocking on the universe's door, it's easy to become careless, pithy, indulged. The worst magicians aren't the ones who have read or practiced less -- it's the ones who don't understand that not everything can or should be fixed by piling on another trick. [...] It seems small and obvious, yes, but I've seen what happens when you take those foundations for granted." [...] She gave him a pointed look. It conveyed a lot of sadness. Soon though, she smiled and turned back to the children.

Concern creased Sandy's forehead, but his downcast look and slump said he was hurt. "Are you passing judgement on me? I'd say you doubt I do, can, or will grasp the importance of socialization to education. Are you also writing me off as... arrogant? Reckless?"

Art Show
Giovenith wrote:"But the thing is, even with him gone, the way he treated my subjects still has scars on them to this day... the dark magic, and the trauma alike. [...] What just came out of you was some of that same darkness. […] Are you sure you weren't around the north during the battle? Did you run into anything else we haven't known about?"

I hope the holocam is still recording, because Sandy's going to want to see this! But what in God's name did Willow run into? And when?

Giovenith wrote:[Cadance] turned to Amanda. "Excuse me, I just want to check you too... […] But both of you..." She looked between the two of them. "... you've been through some hard times, haven't you?"

Cadance's aura calmed Amanda's fury at the Princess' temerity to read her mind, but even that couldn't take the edge off Amanda's voice, nor unclench her jaw. "If I have, it's because supers misuse their gifts, doing what they want to whom they want, without the slightest regard for anybody weaker than them.

"I have no idea what you just did to me, and that is sufficient reason that you shouldn't have done it. Please stay out of my head and out of my life unless I explicitly ask for your help, Princess." She added a muttered, soto voce, "...all alike, every last damn one of them..."

Giovenith wrote:There was a pop of light, and out of thin air, a pair of small silver necklaces appeared. Cadance levitated them over to the two. […] "Will you consider coming? It's free of charge, complete courtesy of the crown."

Amanda pulled a lace-edged handkerchief out of her purse, and carefully caught the necklace in it without touching it, tying it up in a neat bundle before returning the hankie and its contents to the purse. "I'll consider coming... after I've had people I trust take a look at this and tell me what it is and what it does."

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:43 pm

School

"No, no, no," the punk pegasus quickly shook a hoof, dismissing the notion. "I apologize for coming across that way, I wasn't referring to you at all. On the contrary, I brought you here because I believe that you already have those values. I suppose it was more, a warning that you may find yourself meeting those type of ponies down your path... it's better to understand their flaws now before those confrontations. I know from experience."

Garden

Cadance raised an eye at Amanda's hostility, more confused than offended, but eventually nodded with a smile. "Excuse me, I'll be sure to respect your boundaries next time. Test the necklace as much as you need to, but I can reassure that it's just a free pass to the spa."

Willow wasn't about to get involved with the lawyer's issues, especially not if the Princess didn't seem to mind. The day was hard enough as it is. "Well, at least it can't get any worse."

There was a rustling as the muted sound of trotting emerged nearby and rapidly became louder. In half a minute, Toola Roola burst through the garden foliage with a fierce flourish.

"Don't worry screaming pony, we'll save you!" she announced, holding up a foreleg. "Villains can't handle super gal pals forever, Toola and Gio!" Appropriately, Giovenith emerged soon after the mare, though much slower and more concerned-looking.

Willow froze in place with an expression that was a mixture of gobsmacked and horrified, feeling as if the camera of the world was zooming in uncomfortably close on him.

Toola assessed the situation, and her determination melted into confusion as she only saw the Princess, another hyoo-mun like Giovenith, and a familiar black gnome of a stallion. She narrowed her eyes and leaned back a bit.

"Streaks?" she questioned with an almost grossed out tone. "Where's the pony who was screaming?"

"Nope!" Willow blocked anyone's chance to explain by immediately zooming over and tugging a now very confused Giovenith away from the pink mare. "Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope! What are you doing with Giovenith?!" He hugged the godling tight, protectively.

Toola looked offended and shocked. "What am I doing? How do you know her?" She realized something and pointed angrily at him. "Are you one of those ponies who left her all alone and made her cry?!"

"Me?" His eyes grew. "You don't know what you're talking about!"

"I bet you did! You would!"

"Guys." Giovenith stopped the confrontation by pushing herself off of Willow and holding out her hands in front of them. "Toola, it's okay, Willow is my friend. Willow, this is Too-"

"I know who she is," Willow declared stubbornly, humphing and turning away.

Still confused but turning to more important matters, Giovenith looked to Amanda and what she could see must have been one of the pony deities. "Where was all that screaming coming from? It sounded like someone was hurt."

"Don't worry, it was taken care of," Cadance reassured, nodding towards Willow. "You can ask your friend later, it's his business."

Giovenith's eyes widened, but they quickly turned to an hardened, knowing deadpan as she looked pointedly at Willow, who shifted a bit from stubbornness into awkward guilt. This boy, he'd better not say "it was nothing," she swore to goodness.

"Looks like we didn't have to save the day, because the Princess already did," Toola remarked, cheerfully. "As usual! Thank you Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, it's an honor to have you here." She bowed, which caused Willow to catch sight of her flower crown.

"Are those from the garden?" he wrinkled his nose, and gasped at seeing that Giovenith had one too. "Giovenith, no, you can't pick those flowers! They belong to the castle!"

Sheepish, Giovenith quickly took off the flower crown and looked down sadly, while Toola didn't seem to care. She rolled her eyes and nuzzled Giovenith.

"Oh, it's not a big deal," she reassured.

"No, you're not above the rules," Willow contradicted, annoyed that this pony was filling Gio's head with bad ideas.

"It's okay," Cadance gently intervened, not particularly caring about the flowers but keeping the peace. "Just, try not to do it again. I have to go now, the guard will be wondering where I am. Please don't feel afraid to look for me if anything else happens." She stepped along and gave Willow a quick nuzzle on the head. "Take care of yourself, little pony."

She then spread her large wings and flew off, Toola grinning and waving excitedly after her. Willow gave a long sigh and turned back to Amanda.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I can go back in there and die from embarassment," he said. "Sorry. There's plenty to do in the capital though, we could go out somewhere and call Sandy to meet us there..."

"Can Toola Roola come with us?" Giovenith asked, gesturing to her new friend.

Willow snapped his attention to her, frown fierce. "N-" He stopped and narrowed his eyes when he saw her expression, a sad, puppy-face pleading.

"But she was so nice to me, and cool..." said Giovenith, hugging the little pink pony tight. "Why don't you like her?"

Willow kept his unamused expression, but made a slight croaking sound that showed he was struggling to say 'no' to the little godling. Luckily, he didn't have to, as Toola gave Giovenith a reassuring nuzzle and stepped away.

"It's okay, Giovenith," she said. "We'll hang out again another day. I can't really go around negative presences anyway, you know how it is. Here!" She slipped a colorful bracelet off of her own foreleg, and handed it to the hyoo-mun. "It has my address on it. That way, we can write to each other and see each other again."

"Okay..." The hyoo-mun was disappointed, but conceded.

Toola nodded, then gave a suspicious look to Willow and Amanda before running off.

"We're going somewhere else now?" Giovenith questioned. "What happened?"
she/her

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse