NATION

PASSWORD

NS Parliament RP [OOC/OPEN]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zaporizhian Host
Envoy

Founded: Jun 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaporizhian Host » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:53 am

The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism wrote:
Rational Taxation Scheme Act
Author: Marius Forsman (C-P)

To improve on the system of taxation in Saint Hilda, for the betterment, prosperity, and liberty, for all.

BE IT THEREFORE ENACTED, as follows:

§1 - Amendments
  1. All existing taxes imposed on Saint Hilda previous to independence shall be abolished.

§2 - Income Tax
  1. There shall be a progressive income tax, including a negative income credit model.
  2. The tax exemption cutoff shall be at 15,000Kr.
  3. The income subsidy rate shall be 75%.
  4. The tax rate for income from 15,000Kr to 30,000Kr shall be 20%.
  5. The tax rate for income from 30,001Kr to 50,000Kr shall be 25%.
  6. The tax rate for income from 50,001Kr to 100,000Kr shall be 30%.
  7. The tax rate for income from 100,000Kr upwards shall be 40%.
  8. Income for the sake of this tax includes that of capital gains made from sales during that year.

§3 - Corporate Tax
  1. The income of corporations shall be taxed at a rate of 40%.
  2. Corporations with a total income of less than 200,000Kr shall receive a tax rate reduction of 10%.
  3. Corporations which move to relying entirely on sustainably generated electricity shall receive a five year tax rate reduction of 10%.
  4. Corporations which increase their number of employees by at least 50% shall receive a five year tax rate reduction of 10%.

§4 - Excises and Duties
  1. There shall be a per-unit excise on tobacco products, of 20Kr.
  2. There shall be a per-unit excise on alcoholic products, of 10Kr.

§5 - Absentee Property Tax
  1. Residential properties that are uninhabited for more than one half of a year in total shall be subject to a tax of 20% of property value for that year.
  2. Commercial or industrial properties that are not utilized or rented by owners for more than one half of a year in total shall be subject to a tax of 20% of property value for that year.
  3. In such cases where properties are shown to be unfit for habitation or use for the aforementioned periods, no such tax shall apply.

§6 - Office of Taxation
  1. There shall be established an Office of Taxation, with responsibility to organize and enforce the taxes of Saint Hilda.
  2. The Office of Taxation shall be lead by a Director, appointed by the Cabinet Minister assigned to the responsibility of finances.
  3. The Office of Taxation shall have the right to hire employees and enter into contracts, and occupy and rent office spaces, independently. The government of Saint Hilda is responsible for accrued expenses.

I'll be the first to bring up a draft bill for discussion in the new place for it. Ideally we can agree to this tax bill as a reasonable middleground to get something working, and so the extreme parties have something to pull in their direction from rather than arguing without anything in place.

I'm open to all sponsors, and will consider changes to the bill if they are reasonable.

One question before I open up for sponsoring the bill, does income of corporations refer to revenue or profit?

Additionally do you think this rational taxation thing should include a carbon tax or should I leave that for later legislation?
Hello, it's Zap! If you read this it's most likely on a P2TM roleplay thread. I'm not a native English speaker (or writer for that matter), so if you notice mistakes I am happy to receive feedback. I know I'm prone to dangling modifiers, capitalization mistakes, use of commas, and other errors. If I were to use a semicolon, there's a 97% chance I just put it there because they look fancy; I have no idea how they work. If it's spelling it just means Grammarly wasn't cooperating. Thanks.

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am

Sponsors: Viktoria Ljungstrand (SLP:R)

To improve on the system of taxation in Saint Hilda, for the betterment, prosperity, and liberty, for all.

§1 - Amendments
  1. All existing taxes imposed on Saint Hilda previous to independence shall be abolished.

§2 - Income Tax
  1. There shall be a progressive income tax, including a negative income credit model.
  2. The tax exemption cutoff shall be at 15,000Kr.
  4. The tax rate for income from 15,000Kr to 30,000Kr shall be 20%.
  5. The tax rate for income from 30,001Kr to 50,000Kr shall be 25%.
  6. The tax rate for income from 50,001Kr to 100,000Kr shall be 30%.
  7. The tax rate for income from 100,000Kr upwards shall be 40%.
  8. Income for the sake of this tax includes that of capital gains made from sales during that year.

§3 - Corporate Tax
  1. The income of corporations shall be taxed at a rate of 40% of net profits.
  2. Corporations with a total income of less than 200,000Kr shall receive a tax rate reduction of 10%.
  3. Corporations which move to relying entirely on sustainably generated electricity shall receive a five year tax rate reduction of 10%.
  4. Corporations which increase their number of employees by at least 50% shall receive a five year tax rate reduction of 10%.

§4 - Excises and Duties
  1. There shall be a per-unit excise on tobacco products, of 20Kr.
  2. There shall be a per-unit excise on alcoholic products, of 10Kr.

§5 - Absentee Property Tax
  1. Residential properties that are uninhabited for more than one half of a year in total shall be subject to a tax of 20% of property value for that year.
  2. Commercial or industrial properties that are not utilized or rented by owners for more than one half of a year in total shall be subject to a tax of 20% of property value for that year.
  3. In such cases where properties are shown to be unfit for habitation or use for the aforementioned periods, no such tax shall apply.

§6 - Office of Taxation
  1. There shall be established an Office of Taxation, with responsibility to organize and enforce the taxes of Saint Hilda.
  2. The Office of Taxation shall be lead by a Director, appointed by the Cabinet Minister assigned to the responsibility of finances.
  3. The Office of Taxation shall have the right to hire employees and enter into contracts, and occupy and rent office spaces, independently. The government of Saint Hilda is responsible for accrued expenses.

I'll be the first to bring up a draft bill for discussion in the new place for it. Ideally we can agree to this tax bill as a reasonable middleground to get something working, and so the extreme parties have something to pull in their direction from rather than arguing without anything in place.

I'm open to all sponsors, and will consider changes to the bill if they are reasonable.

Do you realize that the Swedish Krona is like, one tenth of the value of the USD? So you're saying the top tax bracket should be US$10,000 and above?

The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am

Van Hool Islands wrote:Sponsor. Viktoria Ljungstrand, SLP:R.

Thank you.

Zaporizhian Host wrote:
One question before I open up for sponsoring the bill, does income of corporations refer to revenue or profit?

Additionally do you think this rational taxation thing should include a carbon tax or should I leave that for later legislation?

Thank you for asking that, I've clarified it to net profit, not revenue.

Personally, I would support a carbon tax, however that's a little more divisive so it might be preferable to push a tax bill through that people can agree on, then possibly accomplish carbon taxes through amendments, etc. Of course, if there is support from both sides for a carbon tax, I'd be happy to put one in.

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:07 am

The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism wrote:Personally, I would support a carbon tax, however that's a little more divisive so it might be preferable to push a tax bill through that people can agree on, then possibly accomplish carbon taxes through amendments, etc. Of course, if there is support from both sides for a carbon tax, I'd be happy to put one in.

I personally prefer a cap-and-trade program over a carbon tax, a combination of both would be even better, and based on the number of leftists, I think it could pass.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:12 am

East Meranopirus wrote:Do you realize that the Swedish Krona is like, one tenth of the value of the USD? So you're saying the top tax bracket should be US$10,000 and above?

Thank you for reminding me to change the currency, that has now been done.

Also, the very fact that you have another solution for the carbon tax subject is evidence that it might be unworkable for a large consensus here. I'm confident we could build a majority in support of some kind of indicative planning measure against carbon output, but getting people to agree on a solution, and on numbers, will be difficult.

Zaporizhian Host
Envoy

Founded: Jun 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaporizhian Host » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:58 am

Add me (Lisa Forss, the Greens) as a sponsor and let's save the carbon tax or cap and trade for later. I hope we can cooperate with that when we do.
Hello, it's Zap! If you read this it's most likely on a P2TM roleplay thread. I'm not a native English speaker (or writer for that matter), so if you notice mistakes I am happy to receive feedback. I know I'm prone to dangling modifiers, capitalization mistakes, use of commas, and other errors. If I were to use a semicolon, there's a 97% chance I just put it there because they look fancy; I have no idea how they work. If it's spelling it just means Grammarly wasn't cooperating. Thanks.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:17 am

Zaporizhian Host wrote:Add me (Lisa Forss, the Greens) as a sponsor and let's save the carbon tax or cap and trade for later. I hope we can cooperate with that when we do.

Thanks, you're added as a sponsor, and I look forward to working together on tackling carbon output at a later date.

The Archipelago Territory
Ambassador

Founded: May 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archipelago Territory » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:00 am

If the office was locked, where do we submit bills?
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!
I am a Progressive Libertarian Capitalist
YANG GANG 2020

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:02 am

The Archipelago Territory wrote:If the office was locked, where do we submit bills?

Right here, as you can see above. At least, that's the temporary solution.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:43 am

Sponsors: Viktoria Ljungstrand (SLP:R), Lisa Forss (GR)

§1 - Amendments

§2 - Definitions
  1. Monetary values should be taken as USD, or their equivalent value in any local currency.
  2. Income, for the sake of corporate taxation, shall be considered as net profit after expenses.

§3 - Income Tax
  2. The tax exemption cutoff shall be at $15,000.
  4. The tax rate for income from $15,000 to $30,000 shall be 20%.
  5. The tax rate for income from $30,001 to $50,000 shall be 25%.
  6. The tax rate for income from $50,001 to $100,000 shall be 30%.
  7. The tax rate for income from $100,000 upwards shall be 40%.

§4 - Corporate Tax
  1. The income of corporations shall be taxed at a rate of 40%.
  2. Corporations with a total income of less than $200,000 shall receive a tax rate reduction of 10%.

§5 - Excises and Duties
  1. There shall be a per-unit excise on tobacco products, of $20.
  2. There shall be a per-unit excise on alcoholic products, of $10.

§6 - Absentee Property Tax

§7 - Office of Taxation

Sponsor, James Penta, Green
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Sankta Hilda All-Patriots Congress
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sankta Hilda All-Patriots Congress » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:04 am

Join the Sankta Hilda All-Patriots' Congress in the NS Parliament RP! Fighting for the values of justice, work, and family!

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:20 am

Employment and Education Non-Discrimination Act
Author: Salomon Kombila Berggren (SHAPC)
Sponsors: Anders Kaj Ehnström (SLP-R), James Penta (Green), James de Clairmont (SDP), Austin Miller (SHAPC)

A bill to prevent discrimination in employment and education

§1 - Definitions
  1. Race/Color - an individual's skin color, ancestry, or perceived shared physical traits with a distinct group of humans
  2. Sex - Physical characteristics that identify an individual as male or female, as defined on their birth certificate
  3. National origin - the nation an individual was born in
  4. Disability - a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities
  5. Sexual orientation - who an individual is sexually attracted to
  6. Public employer - a governmental or quasi-governmental agency that employs individuals

§2 - Employment
  1. It is illegal for public employers to discriminate against applicants for employment in all cases on the basis of the following characteristics: race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation.
  2. If a public employer determines that an individual's age, disability, or language proficiency would prevent them from completing the tasks associated with the job and has sufficient evidence to support this, then they may refuse to hire that individual. If there is no or not sufficient evidence, then the public employer may not use those characteristics as reason not to hire that individual.
  3. It is illegal for private employers to discriminate against applicants for employment in all cases on the basis of the following characteristics: race (except if the job in and of itself requires a particular race, such as a character in the film industry), color, sex (except if the job in and of itself requires a particular sex, as in the film industry), religion, national origin, sexual orientation (except as defined in section 2e of this act).
  4. If a private employer determines that an individual's age, disability, or language proficiency would prevent them from completing the tasks associated with the job and has sufficient evidence to support this, then they may refuse to hire that individual. If there is no or not sufficient evidence, then the public employer may not use those characteristics as reason not to hire that individual.
  5. The right of religious organizations to hire or dismiss individuals on the basis of their religion or sexual orientation shall be protected, if the religious organization has sufficient evidence to prove that these characteristics would interfere with the mission or values of the organization.
  6. Mandates that public employers have and pursue a plan to ensure diversity in management or higher levels of employment on the basis of the following characteristics: race, color, sex, disability.
  7. Encourages private employers to have and pursue a plan to ensure diversity in management or higher levels of employment on the basis of the following characteristics: race, color, sex, disability.

§3 - Education
  1. It is illegal for public educational institutions to discriminate against applicants for admission in all cases on the basis of the following characteristics: race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or primary language.
  2. It is illegal for private educational institutions to discriminate against applicants for admission in all cases on the basis of the following characteristics: race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, or primary language.
  3. Mandates that public higher educational institutions have and pursue a plan to ensure diversity in their undergraduate and graduate student body on the basis of the following characteristics: race, color, sex, disability.
  4. Encourages and affirms the right of private higher educational institutions to have and pursue a plan to ensure diversity in their undergraduate and graduate student body on the basis of the following characteristics: race, color, sex, disability.

§4 - Enforcement
  1. The Equal Employment Commission shall be the body that oversees the provisions of this Act with regards to employment. Individuals shall submit complaints and evidence that this act has been violated and employers shall submit evidence to the EEC. The EEC shall have power to assess fines to employers for violation of this act and issue legal remedies and relief for individuals harmed under this act. The decisions of the EEC shall be determined to be final in regards to complaints under this Act unless otherwise specified by the courts.
  2. The Equal Education Board shall be the body that oversees the provisions of this Act with regards to education. Individuals shall submit complaints and evidence that this act has been violated and educational institutions shall submit evidence to the EEB. The EEC shall have power to assess fines to employers for violation of this act and issue legal remedies and relief for individuals harmed under this act. The decisions of the EEB shall be determined to be final in regards to complaints under this Act unless otherwise specified by the courts.
  3. The Equal Employment Commission shall consist of five (5) individuals, appointed by the Prime Minister and confirmed by a majority vote of parliament, for three (3) month terms.
  4. The Equal Education Board shall consist of five (5) individuals, appointed by the Prime Minister and confirmed by a majority vote of parliament for three (3) month terms.

A couple of edits have been made to this bill, requiring majority vote of parliament to confirm appointees to the EEC and EEB and confirming that if race and sex are necessary for a position (as in "we need a black person to play this black character in the movie") it is okay to not hire individuals not meeting the characteristics. Still open to sponsors or other commentary.
Last edited by Nova Anglicana on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

SHBBPC
Civilian

Founded: Jun 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby SHBBPC » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:34 am

Republik Sankt-Hilda
Civilian

Founded: Jun 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Republik Sankt-Hilda » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:34 pm

Merni
Ambassador

Founded: May 03, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Merni » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:10 am

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-j6 ... h0a6AKtyhk

Reposting from the Office; we urgently need rules of procedure. Open to any and all suggestions.
Last edited by Merni on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024: the year of democracy. Vote!
The Labyrinth | Donate your free time, help make free ebooks | Admins: Please let us block WACC TGs!
RIP Residency 3.5.16-18.11.21, killed by simplistic calculation
Political Compass: Economic -9.5 (Left) / Social -3.85 (Liberal)
Wrote issue 1523, GA resolutions 532 and 659
meth
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People’s Stick.' — Mikhail Bakunin (to Karl Marx)
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. — Ardchoille
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion [...] but rather by its superiority in applying organised violence. — Samuel P. Huntington (even he said that!)

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:42 am

Merni wrote:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-j6LF-6T99xRikQlrv1woOERTklO-AFU1h0a6AKtyhk

Reposting from the Office; we urgently need rules of procedure. Open to any and all suggestions.

We've got standing order for now. It's not urgent.

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:31 am

We’d spend more time voting on the actions of the Speaker than doing anything else.
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Archipelago Territory » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:53 am

::
Title
Author: Austin Miller
Sponsors:

So as to ensure executive and legislative oversight over critical government functions

§1 - The Cabinet
  1. With the consent of parliament, the Prime Minister shall appoint several Cabinet Ministers to oversee government functions.
  2. The Prime Minister may at any time dismiss a minister, and the parliament may at any time impeach a minister with a 2/3 majority vote.

§2 - Cabinet Ministers
  1. just
  2. The minister of foreign affairs shall function as the Chief Diplomat, and preside over all embassies.
  3. The Chief Attorney will be the one responsible for representing the government in judiciary disputes, as well as denouncing and prosecuting criminals, and guaranteeing the application of the law.
  4. The Minister of Defense shall oversee military actions and surveillance agencies, and command the military when the Prime Minister is absent.
  5. The Prime Minister, with the consent of Parliament, shall have the authority to create new ministers.
  6. All ministers may have a Deputy assist them with official matters.

§3 - Committees
  1. Parliament shall hereby be vested with the authority to create committees with a majority vote; and be it enacted that these committees shall at the beginning of their 5 year term elect a Chairperson, Spokesperson, and Vice-Chairperson.
  2. Each party shall send two members of parliament to serve on each committee.
  3. The Speaker, with the consent of the rest of Parliament, shall select one independent to serve on each committee.
  4. The Judiciary Committee shall be tasked with issuing subpoenas and launching investigations. If an official does not comply with a subpoena a parliamentary prosecutor shall refer the case to a High Court.
  5. The National Intelligence Committee shall oversee National Security matters. Those with a criminal history (in Saint Hilda or other nations) are not eligible to serve on this committee.
  6. The Appropriations committee shall oversee the funding of the National Budget.
  7. The committee of Ways and Means shall be tasked with approving constitutional amendments before they come to all of parliament for a vote. No member of this committee shall serve on any other committee. This committee may approve amendments with a simple majority vote.
  8. Members of Parliament can serve on an unlimited number of committees, with the only exception mentioned above.
Last edited by The Archipelago Territory on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
YANG GANG 2020

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Archipelago Territory » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:45 pm

What’s this new Parliament election? Please don’t allow anyone to lose their seat in parliament
YANG GANG 2020

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:46 pm

It's RP, you can RP your local results and it's a good excuse to change character (and/or party) if people wish.

But OOC, no-one loses their seat in NS Parliament :p

The Saint Hilda Greens
Civilian

Founded: Jun 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saint Hilda Greens » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:29 am

Merni
Ambassador

Democratic Socialists

Postby Merni » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:22 am

The Sarian wrote:We’d spend more time voting on the actions of the Speaker than doing anything else.

what?
The Labyrinth | Donate your free time, help make free ebooks | Admins: Please let us block WACC TGs!
meth
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People’s Stick.' — Mikhail Bakunin (to Karl Marx)
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. — Ardchoille
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion [...] but rather by its superiority in applying organised violence. — Samuel P. Huntington (even he said that!)

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:32 am

Three members could completely halt proceedings for twenty-four hours, every time the Speaker says or does anything.

Merni
Ambassador

Democratic Socialists

Postby Merni » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:04 am

The Sarian wrote:Three members could completely halt proceedings for twenty-four hours, every time the Speaker says or does anything.

I never said it was perfect. Give me any suggestions you have.
meth

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:50 pm

The Sarian wrote:Three members could completely halt proceedings for twenty-four hours, every time the Speaker says or does anything.

Tempting.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse