NATION

PASSWORD

In the Walls of the Palace (Renaissance Political RP) [OOC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu May 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Made a short starting post, the new world map is also in the post that was previously reserved for maps of other continents on this thread
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Steppe Khanate
Envoy

Founded: Apr 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Steppe Khanate » Thu May 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Sorry, forgot to app, I’ll write one when possible, has anything major happened on the IC yet?
The Steppe Khanate| Степпе Кhанате | תטעפּפּע כּהאַנאַטע
WE ARE NOT AN ISLAMIC NATION, IN OUR TIMELINE, THE TURKS NEVER CAME
Not Mongol, but a mix of all Steppe cultures
This is my 3rd nation, I used to be Jupcount a year ago, but it ceased to exist due to inactivity
I KNOW HOW TO PLAY NS AND RP, I’M NOT NEW TO THIS
Steppe News Network|Dushenger loses T. Council Seat to Uralistan newcomer Feshnork Errgosh|Khan Appoints new Attorney General, Dr. Shgon Khemesh|Khan signs royal decree to reduce heavy taxes in the Ulanbaatar City District

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu May 02, 2019 6:42 pm

Steppe Khanate wrote:Sorry, forgot to app, I’ll write one when possible, has anything major happened on the IC yet?

I just made the opening post basically summoning all advisors and ministers
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Thu May 02, 2019 7:12 pm

Character App

Name: Mlle. Eloùanette, Duchesse de Bas Jerou
Position in the Royal Government: Lady’s Companion, Duchess of the Province of Bas Jerou
True Intention: To maintain her lofty status, to conceal her heresies while maintaining them, and to continue to serve Queen Sophie as her Lady’s Companion
Short Bio: Eloùanette, known to Queen Sophie as “Ella”, has lived a dynamic life in spite of her youth. Raised in the port city of Leigenn, even the noble residence was awash in a wealth of cultures, from the Jews of the Ghetto to the Tarinian Quarter. Her early childhood brought her a wider viewpoint of the world than many other nobles, and was not without scandal. When Eloùanette was around the age of 10, a rumour began to spread that her father, the Grand Duke of Jerou, had, in fact, converted to Judaism. Although the inquisition had only rumour, his reputation took an irreparable blow, and Eloùanette’s mother sent her to live a quieter existence elsewhere, in the house of Louis Teborg. There, she served as the Lady’s Companion to Sophie, and has since seen her Lady ascend to princess, and then queen.

Eloùanette, particularly with her Lady’s ascension to the throne, holds her tongue, and rarely expresses any opinion loudly or even openly. Her privacy has lead to a few rumours about her spreading. Among the most popular involve her being a jewish convert like her father before her, private deviance on her part, and her being a mute, although contradictory evidence confines such ideas to rumours that even the most suspicious in the inquisition tend to dismiss as court gossip rather than intrigue.
Portrait:

I have read the rules carefully: Y

Arkhastok
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkhastok » Thu May 02, 2019 11:32 pm

Would my character technically count as a minister even though he resides in the New World?

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri May 03, 2019 4:14 am

Arkhastok wrote:Would my character technically count as a minister even though he resides in the New World?

No, since he can’t come to the palace, whatever decision made would be sent to him via message.
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri May 03, 2019 7:33 am

Character App

Name: Archbishop Ambrosian IV (Langrayne)
Position in the Royal Government: Head of the Church
True Intention: To Concentrate greater power in the hands of the Church, if necessary at the expense of the Monarchy
Short Bio: Renowned for his brilliant scholarly work as a historian, political theorist and rhetorician at the Royal University, and a stellar service in the Royal Diplomatic Corps (which he always attributed to the legendary wit of his ancestors), it was awfully surprising when the 50 year old Duke Cyril Langrayne (the uncle of Casimir Langrayne) took Monastic vows and left it all behind. However, even here, he did not remain in obscurity for very long. His intellect and piety quickly saw him promoted through the ranks of the Church, and when Archbishop Gregorius VIII died of a fever; Cyril (now Brother Ambrosian) was almost unanimously elected to be the next Archbishop. Ambrosian shunned the pomp and pretense of his predecessor, in favor of growing out his beard, wearing more traditional vestments and attending to the needs of his Flock. Ambrosian IV poured a great deal of money into the construction of schools, and the financing of universities; being a champion of increased literacy and education. However, at the same time, he fought to keep the forces of secularization at bay, and preserve the authority of the Church; fighting to keep monastic schools open and preserve the religious nature of education.

When the civil war began in the country, Ambrosian mobilized the resources of the Church, especially the monastic communities to care for and provide humanitarian aid for displaced refugees and peasants. He condemned the violent overthrow of previous Royal Dynasty by Louis Teborg, and initially refused to crown Teborg as King, until the Monarch agreed to do penance for a short while (this agreement was mediated by Casimirl, Ambrosian's favorite nephew). This move earned Ambrosian the ire of the King, but the respect of the People; as such King Louis was unable to have Ambrosian deposed, for fear of the tumult it would cause among the populace - who regarded the Archbishop as their champion. On the other hand, the Royal Court and Aristocracy in general view Ambrosian with disgust, as a "traitor to his Class" - only his nephew Casimir, still speaks to his "crazy Uncle Cyril", at all.

While Ambrosian became famous among the peasantry and bourgeoisie for publicly criticizing the Aristocracy and Royal Court for their rapaciousness; and debauched, luxurious lifestyles; he also urged the People at large to respect the Monarch as "God's Representative on Earth". The death of King Louis Teborg, after a short reign, has allowed Ambrosian to hopefully build a better bridge with the Royal Court under the new Queen Sophie.
Portrait:Image
I have read the rules carefully:(Y/N) Y
Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Fri May 03, 2019 8:21 am, edited 7 times in total.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri May 03, 2019 11:43 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Character App

True Intention: To Concentrate greater power in the hands of the Church, if necessary at the expense of the Monarchy
Short Bio: Renowned for his brilliant scholarly work as a historian, political theorist and rhetorician at the Royal University, and a stellar service in the Royal Diplomatic Corps (which he always attributed to the legendary wit of his ancestors), it was awfully surprising when the 50 year old Duke Cyril Langrayne (the uncle of Casimir Langrayne) took Monastic vows and left it all behind. However, even here, he did not remain in obscurity for very long. His intellect and piety quickly saw him promoted through the ranks of the Church, and when Archbishop Gregorius VIII died of a fever; Cyril (now Brother Ambrosian) was almost unanimously elected to be the next Archbishop. Ambrosian shunned the pomp and pretense of his predecessor, in favor of growing out his beard, wearing more traditional vestments and attending to the needs of his Flock. Ambrosian IV poured a great deal of money into the construction of schools, and the financing of universities; being a champion of increased literacy and education. However, at the same time, he fought to keep the forces of secularization at bay, and preserve the authority of the Church; fighting to keep monastic schools open and preserve the religious nature of education.

When the civil war began in the country, Ambrosian mobilized the resources of the Church, especially the monastic communities to care for and provide humanitarian aid for displaced refugees and peasants. He condemned the violent overthrow of previous Royal Dynasty by Louis Teborg, and initially refused to crown Teborg as King, until the Monarch agreed to do penance for a short while (this agreement was mediated by Casimirl, Ambrosian's favorite nephew). This move earned Ambrosian the ire of the King, but the respect of the People; as such King Louis was unable to have Ambrosian deposed, for fear of the tumult it would cause among the populace - who regarded the Archbishop as their champion. On the other hand, the Royal Court and Aristocracy in general view Ambrosian with disgust, as a "traitor to his Class" - only his nephew Casimir, still speaks to his "crazy Uncle Cyril", at all.

While Ambrosian became famous among the peasantry and bourgeoisie for publicly criticizing the Aristocracy and Royal Court for their rapaciousness; and debauched, luxurious lifestyles; he also urged the People at large to respect the Monarch as "God's Representative on Earth". The death of King Louis Teborg, after a short reign, has allowed Ambrosian to hopefully build a better bridge with the Royal Court under the new Queen Sophie.
Portrait:(Image)

Oooh! I like this character, and the fact that he has family tensions with mine make it even more interesting. Casimir would have problems with power being invested in the Church, and doubly so given that it is his uncle who wants it. And yet, he could be a powerful ally. Intrigue! Dynamics! Overthrowing the government at the hands of the Langraynes! Oh wait, did I say that out loud?
Last edited by Talchyon on Fri May 03, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri May 03, 2019 11:46 am

Talchyon wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:
Character App

Oooh! I like this character, and the fact that he has family tensions with mine make it even more interesting. Casimir would have problems with power being invested in the Church, and doubly so given that it is his uncle who wants it.

Perhaps Casimir used to admire his Uncle; and they had a falling out of some kind?

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri May 03, 2019 11:50 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Talchyon wrote:

Oooh! I like this character, and the fact that he has family tensions with mine make it even more interesting. Casimir would have problems with power being invested in the Church, and doubly so given that it is his uncle who wants it.

Perhaps Casimir used to admire his Uncle; and they had a falling out of some kind?

I could see that. (Oh, and I went back and re-edited my post adding to what I said originally). I could also see there being a tension between the two, and yet having to use each other for political means.

Cyril (or Ambrosian) technically is a Langrayne, after all. :twisted:
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri May 03, 2019 11:52 am

Talchyon wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Perhaps Casimir used to admire his Uncle; and they had a falling out of some kind?

I could see that. (Oh, and I went back and re-edited my post adding to what I said originally). I could also see there being a tension between the two, and yet having to use each other for political means.

Cyril (or Ambrosian) technically is a Langrayne, after all. :twisted:

Exactly. Cyril needs Casimir to keep the Crown on side, and Casimir needs Cyril to keep the Church and the Peasantry in line.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri May 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
Character App

Position in the Royal Government: Lady’s Companion, Duchess of the Province of Bas Jerou
True Intention: To maintain her lofty status, to conceal her heresies while maintaining them, and to continue to serve Queen Sophie as her Lady’s Companion
Short Bio: Eloùanette, known to Queen Sophie as “Ella”, has lived a dynamic life in spite of her youth. Raised in the port city of Leigenn, even the noble residence was awash in a wealth of cultures, from the Jews of the Ghetto to the Tarinian Quarter. Her early childhood brought her a wider viewpoint of the world than many other nobles, and was not without scandal. When Eloùanette was around the age of 10, a rumour began to spread that her father, the Grand Duke of Jerou, had, in fact, converted to Judaism. Although the inquisition had only rumour, his reputation took an irreparable blow, and Eloùanette’s mother sent her to live a quieter existence elsewhere, in the house of Louis Teborg. There, she served as the Lady’s Companion to Sophie, and has since seen her Lady ascend to princess, and then queen.

Eloùanette, particularly with her Lady’s ascension to the throne, holds her tongue, and rarely expresses any opinion loudly or even openly. Her privacy has lead to a few rumours about her spreading. Among the most popular involve her being a jewish convert like her father before her, private deviance on her part, and her being a mute, although contradictory evidence confines such ideas to rumours that even the most suspicious in the inquisition tend to dismiss as court gossip rather than intrigue.
Portrait:

Accepted

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Character App

Great character, it fits well with the RP, Accepted
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri May 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:
Character App

Portrait:

Accepted

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Character App

Great character, it fits well with the RP, Accepted

Thx :)

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri May 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Wow… nobody’s posted on the IC yet
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm

Aureumterra wrote:Wow… nobody’s posted on the IC yet

I will shortly. It's been an incredibly tiring day beginning with a very early morning.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri May 03, 2019 1:00 pm

So how long before this RP goes full French Revolution?

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri May 03, 2019 1:02 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:So how long before this RP goes full French Revolution?

I don’t think it will, considering the French revolution happened after intense economic debt and where the aristocracy was being really bitchy, whereas, here, Tarinia is booming economically and the people love the Teborg dynasty
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri May 03, 2019 3:14 pm

My first post for Duke Casimir Langrayne is up! Excited.

Steppe Khanate
Envoy

Founded: Apr 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Steppe Khanate » Fri May 03, 2019 5:28 pm

Again, sorry for the delay, I’ll app soon

Also, wouldn’t trying to dethrone a popular monarch hurt the Langrayne’s image?
The Steppe Khanate| Степпе Кhанате | תטעפּפּע כּהאַנאַטע
WE ARE NOT AN ISLAMIC NATION, IN OUR TIMELINE, THE TURKS NEVER CAME
Not Mongol, but a mix of all Steppe cultures
This is my 3rd nation, I used to be Jupcount a year ago, but it ceased to exist due to inactivity
I KNOW HOW TO PLAY NS AND RP, I’M NOT NEW TO THIS
Steppe News Network|Dushenger loses T. Council Seat to Uralistan newcomer Feshnork Errgosh|Khan Appoints new Attorney General, Dr. Shgon Khemesh|Khan signs royal decree to reduce heavy taxes in the Ulanbaatar City District

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Steppe Khanate wrote:Again, sorry for the delay, I’ll app soon

If he does it right now then yes, he will look like nothing but a power grabber and probably be beheaded for treason quite fast

If he plays his cards right, he could make a move later on…
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri May 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Steppe Khanate wrote:Again, sorry for the delay, I’ll app soon

If he does it right now then yes, he will look like nothing but a power grabber and probably be beheaded for treason quite fast

If he plays his cards right, he could make a move later on…

While it would be fun to play a Richard III type, I don't see Casimir as this right now.

But who knows?

Ruskland-Preuben
Minister

Founded: Mar 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruskland-Preuben » Sat May 04, 2019 7:38 am

Epic worldbuilding hours
I'm a Cthulhist and a Proud Member of the Federation of Allies.
Don’t expect a warm welcome in P2TM, but let them warm up to you by posting good stuff.
Formerly the NCSU, add 5000 posts please.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat May 04, 2019 2:28 pm

Ruskland-Preuben wrote:Epic worldbuilding hours

I might add some worldbuilding too, referencing past battles Sir Andrew has participated in.
Signatures are so 2014.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat May 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Utceforp wrote:
Ruskland-Preuben wrote:Epic worldbuilding hours

I might add some worldbuilding too, referencing past battles Sir Andrew has participated in.

I will add some stuff to the IC timeline about what happened before Sophie’s ascension for some background
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Sun May 05, 2019 1:22 am

Character App

Name: Sixtus, Prince of Tarinia
Position in the Royal Government: Pretender to the Throne of Tarinia, Commander of the Army of the East, de facto governor of eastern provinces and Sasian borderlands
True Intention: The restoration of the Sixurid monarchy through peaceful means
Short Bio: Sixtus Sixurid was born the second son of the younger brother of the last Sixurid king of Tarinia by his wife, a Sasian princess, leaving him third in line to the Tarinian throne. Due to the childlessness of the king, Sixtus and his older brother was raised as potential rulers of Tarinia, living partly on their father's princely estate outside the capital and partly at the royal court. Though Sixtus was a precocious child and showed a great deal of interest and talent in both the military and administrative subjects a prince of the blood is instructed in, as a second son of the king's brother he never expected, nor desired, the crown, and exhibited few ambitions beyond being a dutiful son and brother, and a leal subject of the king.

As a young man Prince Sixtus was given as his royal tutor an elderly monk know as Brother Ambrosian (ooc: Nea Byzantia permitting of course). Under this monk's instruction the Prince was exposed to a world beyond the royal court and its splendor, learning of the deplorable state of much of the people. The prince was instilled with strong religious values, to this day he remains a devout if phlegmatic christian, and a sense of noblesse oblige, that the privilege of his birth obligated him to help those less fortunate than he. As he reached the age of majority the prince seriously considered joining the clergy, but due to his standing as third in line the throne, and a rather worldly disposition, this was made impossible. Instead he joined the military.

Though keenly interested in all things naval and an ever enthusiastic supporter of increased funding for the royal fleet and the nascent exploratory missions undertaken by Tarinia, the Prince was commissioned into the more prestigious military branch, the army. A peasant uprising in a province on a sensitive frontier became his first assignment. Appointed viceroy and given command of an army the prince was instructed to suppress the rebellion and shore up local defences against foreign adversaries. At the time of the prince's arrival active combat had all but ended and instead the prince got to play peacemaker, attempting to reconcile the provincial peasantry with the monarchy. Through his own pleasant manners and engaging personality, as well as a profound reasonableness towards the grievances of the local population made him a succesful and popular viceroy. At his own initiative he reformed the government of his province, incentivizing commerce and exploration while rationalizing administration and lowering taxes. As his policies was however not entirely in line with those of the crown, and his mandate to conduct them more than dubious he was however soon reassigned.

Tarinia was at war with a foreign power and three years before the fall of the Sixurid monarchy Prince Sixtus was given command of a field army. During the storming of an enemy camp at the battle of Valentianae, Prince Sixtus showed great courage at the head of a brilliantly executed cavalry charge that routed the enemy force and won the battle for Tarinia. For his valor and able leadership Prince Sixtus received the marshall's baton from his uncle and was named commander of all armies on a particular front. During the next two years Prince Sixtus however presided over a series of reverses on his front as the enemy raised new and larger armies. When the Teborg usurpation began the crown, underestimating the threat, ordered Prince Sixtus to remain with his army in the field fighting the foreign enemies. Prince Sixtus did so, and mere weeks before the collapse of the Sixurid monarchy he scored a decisive victory against the enemy ending the war in victory, thus allowing the rising Teborg monarchy to inherit a stable border. As news reached Prince Sixtus of the fall of the Sixurid monarchy he knew not what to do. Several of his officers insisted he march on the capital and depose the usurper, but Prince Sixtus surmised that such an action would surely throw Tarinia into a bloody civil war just as peace seemed within reach, with little hope of securing a quick restoration. As news reached him that his older brother had fled to their mother's homeland Sasia Prince Sixtus withdrew with his army towards the Sasian borderlands while taking no direct military action against the Usurper.

Leaving the army in command of able and trustworthy loyalist officers Prince Sixtus briefly abandonned his post and rode to the Sasian capital for a meeting between the Sixurid princes and their Sasian in-laws. There he was stunned and disappointed at the stance of his family which berated him for not taking more agressive steps against the Usurper. Prince Sixtus found himself in disagreement with his family on two key points. One; their absolute refusal to accept any responsibility for the collapse of the monarchy and their unwillingness to compromise with any disgruntled groups within Tarinian society or make any concessions towards even legitimate grievances, angered the prince. Two; the prince was appalled at the willingness of his relatives to allow Sasia to gain Tarinian territory and otherwise sell out the country in exchanged for Sasian military aid in a restoration.

Disillusioned Prince Sixtus returned to his army and while he made arrangements with military and political leaders in Sasia he resolved to fortify his position in eastern Tarinia while the Usurper was busy consolidating his rule. Then the Usurper died. News reached Prince Sixtus before his Sasian based relatives and realizing that time was of the essence he determined to take action without the backing of his relatives. But what action? Once again Prince Sixtus was counseled to march on the capital and depose the Usurpers young daughter. Once again he prevaricated. Though he regarded the possibility of dethroning a young inexperienced woman as much greater than an experienced soldier and army commander as the Usurper, he remained deeply torn about the morality of such an act. Another possibility he considered was reaching out to potential Sixurid supporters at the capital to forment a coup. In the end he opted for a altogether different option. He began a correspondence with the newly made queen to try to settle the issue diplomatically.
Portrait:
Prince Sixtus commanding the Tarinian army at the Battle of Valentianae

I have read the rules carefully:Y

Yay a court intrigue RP. :)
Last edited by Of the Quendi on Sun May 05, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse