NATION

PASSWORD

1906: Alternative Divergence [AH][OOC-DEAD]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri May 03, 2019 10:19 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Would you be willing to do that with any of your territory? Would the ERE have any Protectorates or Client-Kings?

Well, for me it's a bit complicated. The territory that I could the easiest explain would be Egypt, as Egypt is divided into three vaguely autonomous Exarchates, but that province is too valuable for me to risk potential rebellions or stuff like that, so I would be very hesitant. The southernmost exarchate maybe, but even then I'm afraid that I would be too picky with the app for that player to feel comfortable.

Taurica/Crimea is also potentially organized as an Exarchate, but it's too small to do much, that was the main reason for why the player of that Principality there abandoned the roleplay.

Perhaps an Egyptian Exarchate was created because of a rebellion?

Would be a recent event...because if I apped for such an Exarechate, I'd make the Exarch an alternate version of this guy:

Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Fri May 03, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Fri May 03, 2019 10:22 am

Reverend Norv wrote:
The Traansval wrote:>The French are Protestant in this timeline

This is truly a cursed timeline

Hon hon hon.

Calvinist work ethic.

Doctrine of the Lesser Magistrates.

Puritan abolitionism.

Hon hon hon!

The thought of Protestant Frenchmen using Schmidt-Rubins to enforce colonial rule inside my country sends shivers up my spin e

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri May 03, 2019 10:24 am

Btw can anybody recommend any other good AH RPs?
Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Fri May 03, 2019 11:18 am

Reverend Norv wrote:
The Traansval wrote:I'd be willing to play as Protectorate Morocco

I think the whites only confusing until its explained. A legend to go with the map could help a bit but I think its a minor point that doesn't really nessecitate changing the whole map.

Sounds good to me. Give my app a read-through, and then let me know what history for Morocco you find plausible in that context. I'm not going to be nitpicky here, so anything you come up with will probably be fine. This should be fun!

Seeing as how Eastern Rome defeated the Arabs early one I doubt that Islam and Arabic rule/culture would have spread as much as it did IRL, so my vision is for a Morocco more centered around Christianity (Eastern Orthodoxy, as Rome would have had a much earlier influence than France) and the native Berbers rather than Arabs which make up a large majority of the IRL Moroccan population. I'll flesh it out more in my app but the general idea is a Kingdom led by the more dominant of the Berber groups ruling over a precarious nation where different Berber groups hold power over different regions with different goals and different alligences. A nation ripe for French meddling, where groups can be played off each other, and a young King, newly brought to the crown after the death of his father, seeking centralization and modernization.

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Fri May 03, 2019 11:24 am

The Traansval wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:
Sounds good to me. Give my app a read-through, and then let me know what history for Morocco you find plausible in that context. I'm not going to be nitpicky here, so anything you come up with will probably be fine. This should be fun!

Seeing as how Eastern Rome defeated the Arabs early one I doubt that Islam and Arabic rule/culture would have spread as much as it did IRL, so my vision is for a Morocco more centered around Christianity (Eastern Orthodoxy, as Rome would have had a much earlier influence than France) and the native Berbers rather than Arabs which make up a large majority of the IRL Moroccan population. I'll flesh it out more in my app but the general idea is a Kingdom led by the more dominant of the Berber groups ruling over a precarious nation where different Berber groups hold power over different regions with different goals and different alligences. A nation ripe for French meddling, where groups can be played off each other, and a young King, newly brought to the crown after the death of his father, seeking centralization and modernization.

That's a very cool idea, as far as I'm concerned. Feel free to go into as much detail about French involvement as you like; as I said, I am inclined generally to roll with whatever you develop, so don't worry about stepping on my toes.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Fri May 03, 2019 11:39 am

The Traansval wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:
Hon hon hon.

Calvinist work ethic.

Puritan abolitionism.

Hon hon hon!

The thought of Protestant Frenchmen using Schmidt-Rubins to enforce colonial rule inside my country sends shivers up my spin e

Just so you know large portions of both Africa and even a good bit of Oceania(central/southern Australia, New Zealand) are available to you if you change your mind. Some type of semi-advanced gun bearing Maori mounted on huge Moa's could be pretty cool or a somewhat revived Kanem-Bornu cavalry empire of lake chad could be interesting. Just helping out.

Also to the Ops I just want to make sure if my finished app has been seen yet and if there is any issues could you let me know? Thank you.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 11:49 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Well, for me it's a bit complicated. The territory that I could the easiest explain would be Egypt, as Egypt is divided into three vaguely autonomous Exarchates, but that province is too valuable for me to risk potential rebellions or stuff like that, so I would be very hesitant. The southernmost exarchate maybe, but even then I'm afraid that I would be too picky with the app for that player to feel comfortable.

Taurica/Crimea is also potentially organized as an Exarchate, but it's too small to do much, that was the main reason for why the player of that Principality there abandoned the roleplay.

Perhaps an Egyptian Exarchate was created because of a rebellion?

Would be a recent event...because if I apped for such an Exarechate, I'd make the Exarch an alternate version of this guy:

I honestly doubt it. The Exarch basically acts as a monarch in itself, he only answers to the Emperor and has near complete control of his province's military and civilian administration. If it would be done to stop a rebellion, the normal themata system would be far more effective. A rebellion could at the very least explain why there are three Exarchates instead of one, as to limit each Exarch's powers, but even then - rebellions in Africa would be mostly the job of the oppressed Muslims/native Africans. For the time being and for the recent history, no rebellion among the Roman population should have been able to gain enough support.

And even if I were to give you control of one of the Exarchates there, I don't see what you could do besides from planning to rebel.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri May 03, 2019 11:51 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Perhaps an Egyptian Exarchate was created because of a rebellion?

I honestly doubt it. The Exarch basically acts as a monarch in itself, he only answers to the Emperor and has near complete control of his province's military and civilian administration. If it would be done to stop a rebellion, the normal themata system would be far more effective. A rebellion could at the very least explain why there are three Exarchates instead of one, as to limit each Exarch's powers, but even then - rebellions in Africa would be mostly the job of the oppressed Muslims/native Africans. For the time being and for the recent history, no rebellion among the Roman population should have been able to gain enough support.

And even if I were to give you control of one of the Exarchates there, I don't see what you could do besides from planning to rebel.

Fair point. Which Exarchate would you allow me to have?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 11:52 am

The Traansval wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:

Well, it didn't necessarily do that. Eastern Rome was embroiled in conflicts with the Arabs all the way up to 1600. It's true that they managed to slow down the Arab expansion (the Roman Levant only collapsed under the successor of Heraclius), and they pushed up much strongly than the OTL Byzantines were able to, but I always left the window open so that Islam could spread into Africa if needed.

That said, that's the idea - it's up to the African players, if any. The Caliphate could have been so weak as never to expand from Egypt, anything could be done, and I do historically plan for the Exarchate of Africa to have existed for a bit more than it did IRL.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 11:53 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:I honestly doubt it. The Exarch basically acts as a monarch in itself, he only answers to the Emperor and has near complete control of his province's military and civilian administration. If it would be done to stop a rebellion, the normal themata system would be far more effective. A rebellion could at the very least explain why there are three Exarchates instead of one, as to limit each Exarch's powers, but even then - rebellions in Africa would be mostly the job of the oppressed Muslims/native Africans. For the time being and for the recent history, no rebellion among the Roman population should have been able to gain enough support.

Fair point. Which Exarchate would you allow me to have?

None unfortunately. Sorry, I missed it, but Oscal banned you from joining this roleplay.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri May 03, 2019 11:55 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Fair point. Which Exarchate would you allow me to have?

None unfortunately. Sorry, I missed it, but Oscal banned you from joining this roleplay.

Why?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 11:56 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:None unfortunately. Sorry, I missed it, but Oscal banned you from joining this roleplay.

Why?

viewtopic.php?p=35646873#p35646873

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri May 03, 2019 11:58 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Why?

viewtopic.php?p=35646873#p35646873

Ah. That's unfortunate. I was not aware this was an issue. My apologies. Hopefully, I could be allowed to come back in the future (not that there's any good territories to claim, anyways). I guess this is goodbye. Could you at least point me to any other good, still-existing AH RPs out there? Perhaps I'll have more fun with those.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:

Ah. That's unfortunate. I was not aware this was an issue. My apologies. Hopefully, I could be allowed to come back in the future (not that there's any good territories to claim, anyways). I guess this is goodbye. Could you at least point me to any other good, still-existing AH RPs out there? Perhaps I'll have more fun with those.

Other than AOSS that you already know of, I'm afraid that I don't know any other.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri May 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Ah. That's unfortunate. I was not aware this was an issue. My apologies. Hopefully, I could be allowed to come back in the future (not that there's any good territories to claim, anyways). I guess this is goodbye. Could you at least point me to any other good, still-existing AH RPs out there? Perhaps I'll have more fun with those.

Other than AOSS that you already know of, I'm afraid that I don't know any other.

Ah, ok

Thanks,

Bye,

Christ Has Risen!

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Fri May 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
The Traansval wrote:Seeing as how Eastern Rome defeated the Arabs early one I doubt that Islam and Arabic rule/culture would have spread as much as it did IRL, so my vision is for a Morocco more centered around Christianity (Eastern Orthodoxy, as Rome would have had a much earlier influence than France) and the native Berbers rather than Arabs which make up a large majority of the IRL Moroccan population. I'll flesh it out more in my app but the general idea is a Kingdom led by the more dominant of the Berber groups ruling over a precarious nation where different Berber groups hold power over different regions with different goals and different alligences. A nation ripe for French meddling, where groups can be played off each other, and a young King, newly brought to the crown after the death of his father, seeking centralization and modernization.

Well, it didn't necessarily do that. Eastern Rome was embroiled in conflicts with the Arabs all the way up to 1600. It's true that they managed to slow down the Arab expansion (the Roman Levant only collapsed under the successor of Heraclius), and they pushed up much strongly than the OTL Byzantines were able to, but I always left the window open so that Islam could spread into Africa if needed.

That said, that's the idea - it's up to the African players, if any. The Caliphate could have been so weak as never to expand from Egypt, anything could be done, and I do historically plan for the Exarchate of Africa to have existed for a bit more than it did IRL.

I feel that in the spirit of Alternative Divergence, it'd be more fun really to have a completely different Morocco dominated by Orthodox Berbers and sort of Afro-Europeans rather than a slightly different twist to the Islamic Arab Sultanate of real life. Also it provided me with a bit better of a position in terms of diplomacy as its much easier to get along with Europeans as a predominant Christain nation rather than a predominant Muslim one.
Last edited by The Traansval on Fri May 03, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 12:13 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Other than AOSS that you already know of, I'm afraid that I don't know any other.

Ah, ok

Thanks,

Bye,

Christ Has Risen!

Truly He is Risen!

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 12:16 pm

The Traansval wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Well, it didn't necessarily do that. Eastern Rome was embroiled in conflicts with the Arabs all the way up to 1600. It's true that they managed to slow down the Arab expansion (the Roman Levant only collapsed under the successor of Heraclius), and they pushed up much strongly than the OTL Byzantines were able to, but I always left the window open so that Islam could spread into Africa if needed.

I feel that in the spirit of Alternative Divergence, it'd be more fun really to have a completely different Morocco dominated by Orthodox Berbers and sort of Afro-Europeans rather than a slightly different twist to the Islamic Arab Sultanate of real life. Also it provided me with a bit better of a position in terms of diplomacy as its much easier to get along with Europeans as a predominant Christain nation rather than a predominant Muslim one.

You can certainly do that! I was just trying to explain everything to make sure that you would make an informed choice, you could have a historical conflict with Muslims if you so desire.

As for it being Orthodox, that is why I mentioned the Exarchate. Yes, Catholics and Orthodox Churches are united in a single, Greater Chalcedonian Church but that is a political matter, all the religious and dogmatic differences between the two branches still exist. So if you wish to be Orthodox, instead of the Catholic, WRE Libya, you could potentially tie it to the existence of the Exarchate, the bases of the Orthodox church there could have been formed then.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 12:35 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:
The Traansval wrote:The thought of Protestant Frenchmen using Schmidt-Rubins to enforce colonial rule inside my country sends shivers up my spin e

Just so you know large portions of both Africa and even a good bit of Oceania(central/southern Australia, New Zealand) are available to you if you change your mind. Some type of semi-advanced gun bearing Maori mounted on huge Moa's could be pretty cool or a somewhat revived Kanem-Bornu cavalry empire of lake chad could be interesting. Just helping out.

Also to the Ops I just want to make sure if my finished app has been seen yet and if there is any issues could you let me know? Thank you.

It has been seen, Oscal started reviewing it yesterday as far as I know, he will finish it as soon as he can.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Fri May 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:It has been seen, Oscal started reviewing it yesterday as far as I know, he will finish it as soon as he can.

I understand, thank you. I kinda expected the wait, it's a pretty... long app to say the least. Both Parts(first comprising the details, the second the history) are at the edge of the character limit for both posts. Not surprisingly I had a reputation for being long winded among my English teachers in school :blush:
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 1:18 pm

Benuty wrote:
    Full Nation Name : The Golden Commonwealth of the Rus.

Well, this is a pretty complicated concept and I'm really curious to see how it will work in the IC. I see no particular issues with it, so accepted!

One small issue though - you mention in your history The Golden Horde under Uzbeg saw a flourishing of trade especially with merchants from the northern port cities of the Western Roman Empire, and I believe that you meant the Eastern Roman Empire - the WRE has no northern ports that could directly trade with you xD

I suppose that you'll mention what the "lost princely states in the possession of another power" are after the PLC player will finish his history, as most of those would be there, or do you also claim the old Mongolia?

Tracian Empire
    Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 1:23 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
    The Traansval wrote:>The French are Protestant in this timeline

This is truly a cursed timeline

Hon hon hon.

Calvinist work ethic.

Puritan abolitionism.

Hon hon hon!

Eww.

Orthodox mysticism and Roman pragmatism.

The Roman imperial doctrine and the concept of the universal empire and true orthodox faith.

Caesaropapist Autocracy

Roma aeterna est

Reverend Norv
    Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
    New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Fri May 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
    Reverend Norv wrote:
    Hon hon hon.

Calvinist work ethic.

Puritan abolitionism.

Hon hon hon!

Eww.

Orthodox mysticism and Roman pragmatism.

The Roman imperial doctrine and the concept of the universal empire and true orthodox faith.

Caesaropapist Autocracy

Roma aeterna est

And this is the basic reason why Europe has been at war for three centuries.
    For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
    Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Tracian Empire
    Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 1:28 pm

Map and list updated. We will proceed to take care of inactive reservations tomorrow. As always, not having the time to finish/working on an app is an acceptable excuse, but we have to know about it. People who don't say anything about their inactivity will be removed.

We're discussing the idea of IC events, but until then it would be nice of those accepted would start posting in the IC, me included, as soon as I properly finish my app xD

Tracian Empire
    Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri May 03, 2019 1:31 pm

SCP Institution wrote:
    Danceria wrote:Now...for a slightly uncomfortable topic. How was slavery handled?

Slavery came to an end because of the Industrial Revolution. Machines has proved to be more productive and less costly than an enslaved workforce.

And SCP, I understand that you might be busy, but Great Britain is prime real estate. You have 24 hours to try to convince us of the validity of your alternative history concept, as your app so far is a bit worrying, and you have to put some more significant effort into it if you wish to retain your reservation.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse