NATION

PASSWORD

1906: Alternative Divergence [AH][OOC-DEAD]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:13 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:
That makes complete sense; having read Kai's app in the last iteration of the RP, I assumed that Eastern troops would have to intervene in most of the Franco-Roman wars. I certainly don't want to place the WRE under so much pressure that it is unable to remain the lovely place of culture and beauty that the prior app describes. That's why I very rarely have France squaring off one-on-one with the Western Empire; the Commonwealth tends to be distracted by at least one other theater of operations. That fact, plus the presence of Eastern troops, should allow Kai to keep the previous concept mostly the same.

It should, especially if we also count the Verian Wall - if the WRE manages to focus its forces on defending the Alps, then it could be able to hold its ground until the East arrives. And the presence of the Eastern troops there could play a very nice role in the West-East tensions that Kai and I had planned during the last iterations.

And having to detach troops to the West would be interesting for the East too, since while the Eastern troops would be generally more than a match for the French forces, the distance involved, having to fight on what is practically foreign ground, and the East never being to fully commit to the defense of Italy would have played their role in the defeats suffered by the Romans.

Sounds good, then.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The Felan Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Felan Federation » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:32 am

Yo Germany. Wanna go and eat Denmark? That sweet, sweet access port...yum.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:48 am

The Felan Federation wrote:Yo Germany. Wanna go and eat Denmark? That sweet, sweet access port...yum.

You mean as in partition it at the start of the RP?

Uh...sure...if you take like all of it, ja?

*waits for the Polish and Rus paintrain to arrive in Scandinavia*

EDIT: You're aware you prolly could've included them in your app and nobody would've batted an eye?
Last edited by Remnants of Exilvania on Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Ex Woodhouse Loyalist & Ex Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

The Felan Federation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Felan Federation » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:
The Felan Federation wrote:Yo Germany. Wanna go and eat Denmark? That sweet, sweet access port...yum.

You mean as in partition it at the start of the RP?

EDIT: You're aware you prolly could've included them in your app and nobody would've batted an eye?

Well...it was originally wanted by another player...then they left...and yes...a partition...

Dunno...if I can just add it now.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:57 am

The Felan Federation wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:You mean as in partition it at the start of the RP?

Well...it was originally wanted by another player...then they left...and yes...a partition...

It's free. If you're willing to edit your app and take its existence into account then it can certainly be yours.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:08 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:You mean as in partition it at the start of the RP?

Weren't YOU the other player who had Denmark?

SCP Institution
Attaché

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby SCP Institution » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:13 am

The Imperium shall rules the waves !

I need to know are Britain and Netherland still Protestant in this alternate history ?

Reservation

Nation Name : Britannic Imperium.
Territory : Britain, Ireland, Scotland, Greenland and Iceland, with the rest of North America.
#AltDiv
Last edited by SCP Institution on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:18 am

SCP Institution wrote:The Union shall rules the waves !

I need to know are Britain and Netherland still Protestant in this alternate history ?

Reservation

Nation Name : North Sea Union.
Territory : Britain, Ireland, Scotland, entire Benelux with Denmark, also the rest of North America and Polynesian Islands.
#AltDiv

I could potentially accept your reservation for the British Isles and colonies, but you'd have to provide a strong concept to be able to take the remaining Benelux and Denmark.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:19 am

Reservation

Territory : Britain, Ireland, Scotland, entire Benelux with Denmark, also the rest of North America and Polynesian Islands.
#AltDiv

I think we may have just handed Denmark over to Scandinavia again.

May have.

Not sure.

SCP Institution
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby SCP Institution » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:20 am

Tracian Empire wrote:

Reservation

#AltDiv

I could potentially accept your reservation for the British Isles and colonies, but you'd have to provide a strong concept to be able to take the remaining Benelux and Denmark.

Can I also take Argentina ? About the lore, alliance between Denmark, Britain and Netherland are acceptable right ?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:22 am

SCP Institution wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:I could potentially accept your reservation for the British Isles and colonies, but you'd have to provide a strong concept to be able to take the remaining Benelux and Denmark.

Can I also take Argentina ? About the lore, alliance between Denmark, Britain and Netherland are acceptable right ?

No it's not? An alliance of three European states with distinct cultures alone wouldn't be able to create an entirely new nation.

And in regards to Denmark, I was right now discussing the idea of the Swedish player receiving it, so if he accepts it then it will be his.

From a colonial perspective you could have Argentina.

SCP Institution
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby SCP Institution » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:24 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:

Reservation

#AltDiv

I think we may have just handed Denmark over to Scandinavia again.

May have.

Not sure.

Not a bad idea !

Felan Federation, will you adopt Denmark to your Scandinavian family ? Free estate, think about it !

SCP Institution
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby SCP Institution » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:26 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
SCP Institution wrote:

No it's not? An alliance of three European states with distinct cultures alone wouldn't be able to create an entirely new nation.

And in regards to Denmark, I was right now discussing the idea of the Swedish player receiving it, so if he accepts it then it will be his.

What if they form an alliance to stand against the German Behemoth or the Russian Giant ? Everything can happen for no reasons !

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 am

SCP Institution wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:No it's not? An alliance of three European states with distinct cultures alone wouldn't be able to create an entirely new nation.

What if they form an alliance to stand against the German Behemoth or the Russian Giant ? Everything can happen for no reasons !

Everything that happens has to be thoroughly explained. An alliance could be a beginning, but you need to take into account that they're different territories with different cultures and languages.

I would also like to point out that Germany/Zentraleuropa has been decaying for a while, that Russia is too far away to deal with your nation, and that France, while a threat to Benelux, doesn't enjoy a navy strong enough to threaten the British isles.

And finally, the British Isles have the potential of being a great power and a great colonial power - so our standards for an app there will be a bit high.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
SCP Institution wrote:

Everything that happens has to be thoroughly explained. An alliance could be a beginning, but you need to take into account that they're different territories with different cultures and languages.

I would also like to point out that Germany/Zentraleuropa has been decaying for a while, that Russia is too far away to deal with your nation, and that France, while a threat to Benelux, doesn't enjoy a navy strong enough to threaten the British isles.

And finally, the British Isles have the potential of being a great power and a great colonial power - so our standards for an app there will be a bit high.

On top of that it appears to be stationed nearly completely in the Western Med. so the British Navy would be virtually unchallenged in the North Sea. Germany doesn't really have a Navy, I'll eat a bowler hat if Scandinavia will have a Navy coming even close to threatening Britain, Benelux might be on British Side, Baltic Nations are locked in the Baltic and most likely not very seagoing anyway.

So yeah, the British Navy is completely unchallenged up north.

The Felan Federation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Felan Federation » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:19 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
SCP Institution wrote:

Well. What about the Glorious Revolution? For Netherlands and Britain I mean?

The Felan Federation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Felan Federation » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:20 am

Also, do you mind if I add Denmark to my Swedish Empire?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 am

Tracian Empire wrote:Everything that happens has to be thoroughly explained. An alliance could be a beginning, but you need to take into account that they're different territories with different cultures and languages.

Well. What about the Glorious Revolution? For Netherlands and Britain I mean?

That could be an idea. Like I said, I'm not against the concept - Norv nearly played a nation owning both Britain and the Netherlands, it's just that it has to be very well explained in order to be accepted.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 am

The Felan Federation wrote:Also, do you mind if I add Denmark to my Swedish Empire?

I have no issue with that

The Felan Federation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Felan Federation » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
The Felan Federation wrote:Also, do you mind if I add Denmark to my Swedish Empire?

I have no issue with that

Alright. Edited my history a bit - added Denmark to my roster of nations under the Swedish Empire. While a bit of history to explain it...

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:30 am

Tracian Empire wrote:I have no issue with that

Alright. Edited my history a bit - added Denmark to my roster of nations under the Swedish Empire. While a bit of history to explain it...

Also, I have noticed an issue that was unfortunately missed before - Gotland was part of the Polish-Lithuanian claim from the beginning, and it will remain there.

Jade Confederacy
Minister

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jade Confederacy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:25 am

Looking over everyone’s apps, I think it would be a good idea for everyone to base applications more on geopolitical boundaries rather than a grabbing as much land as possible. This includes overseas possessions and colonial claims. Colonial territory on the other side of the world would only be worth it if it provides the necessary resources not present in the homelands or else gives a strong geostrategic edge. Random claims thousands of miles away from the national core would only to serve to drain the nation of resources as well as put great strain on the military trying to defend the claim.

An example would be European colonial stake in South or Southeast Asia. Whats to stop one of the East Asian powers from just plain nabbing it? To prevent it from happening, the European nation would either have to arm the locals or else station a huge chunk of their European troops there as garrison. The first is just asking for a native insurrection and the second would both weaken the colonial power’s European position as well as be a huge strain on their resources. Global power is much more evenly distributed here than in the RL timeline so sprawling colonial empires would be very vulnerable to the regional great powers right next door to their possessions.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:26 am

I'm thinking about the history of my nation and I believe I have nice place where I could get a good start. I'm just wondering the dates of this Anglo-Spanish war of the Atlantic. I'm thinking things could have gone down during that period; More specifically Solomon Day's rebellion began on say British Trinidad in what amounted to a rather significant slave rebellion during the chaos that was said war. But eventually He and a few companions eventually left to try to bring the revolution to the mainland to his homeland in Guyana which at the time was Spanish and maybe British controlled. Initially bypassing the coast he made his way into the interior and would unify and bring the Maroons and small native bands onto the war path. Leading this force in what became known as the march to the sea he quickly and rather brutally took over the countryside encouraging the various slaves to join his rebellion and start a general rising that bought the dual colonial administrations to their knees due in no small part to a lack of assistance from their central distracted in their own war. By the time they were able to do much of anything Solomon's forces were already laying siege to the coastal cities and secured the countryside allowing him to more or less strangle them.

At the conclusion of the war of the Atlantic war Spain heavily drained despite it's victory found itself in what amounted to a hopeless situation, facing a brutal war of attrition having to spend precious men, already weary from the war with Britain, and material to try to keep the besieged cities from collapsing. With the prospect of war with France on the horizon the Spaniards would try a grand gamble sending fourth a large scale offensive to try to break the siege of the main capital(Georgetown) of what had been British Guyana. Rallying a force of around 25,000 they initially achieved some success pushing back what appeared to be rather light Maroon forces in the area but it was all for naught, Solomon Day was leading them into a trap. In what became Infamously known as "The Stand" by those in Guyana or "The disaster at the river Berbice" in Spain Solomon led a force of about 10,000 and faced off against the Spaniard forces on the eastern side of the river atop a rather impressive bluff. He allowed the Spaniards to cross only attacking when half their forces were deployed on the eastern side and the other half were wading through said river in order to force them onto the offensive. The Spaniards in proper columns deployed forward toward what appeared to be the main force in the center who had created a trench for protection; but in reality it was all a trick for Solomon had instructed the majority of his men and alongside that the entirety of his artillery to remain silent hiding in the brambles. When a signal was given the infantry rose and fired while the artillery roared to life causing mass chaos and destruction upon the Spanish columns who proceeded to break and retreat. A second signal was made causing Solomon's cavalry, who had been deployed on the other side of the river hidden to the Spanish to strike at the largely exposed Spanish artillery who were quickly silenced before they could cause much damage. During the Spanish forces rout they found themselves assailed on both sides of the river both by Solomons infantry and artillery on the eastern bank and by his cavalry on the western bank being reduced to a bare handful. Those who couldn't escape eventually threw up the White flag of surrender. What occurred next became the stuff of legends. First the regular enlisted were beheaded one by one, then when that was finished the NCOs and junior officers were crucified, and finally but not least the High officers along with the generals staff/entourage sans general who had died in combat were taken to a sacred grove and buried alive with a prayer to heaven being made over their screams. The result was a total defeat for the Spanish forces who suffered in the magnitude of 10,000 killed 10,000 wounded(all captured) and finally 4500 other's captured with only 500 escaping.

Solomon would go onto to lead his victorious forces onto the Georgetown itself which due in no small part to the aforementioned disaster had a severely depleted garrison which was unable to hold back Solomon's forces who broke through. With the city captured Solomon gave his infamous Order of Extermination. "Give me all the white people" is all that he technically stated and hoping to gain his favor the local free people of color population(persons of mixed European and African ancestry) gleefully assisted. But when it was all said in done to their horror he regard them as being included in said order and when the slaughter began in what became known as "The Georgetown Horrors" during which he slaughtered the entirety of the white population both man, women, and children they were not spared. This series of events would shock the world and would cause a panic in Spain who decided the war was largely unwinnable and would proceed to evacuate the entirety of the besieged Guyanese colonial towns and cities which they still held causing said cities to fall to Solomon and bringing an eventual end to the armed phase of the war.

Though in the end this all proved to be a double edged sword for thought it all in the end did end the war more or less Spain to this day has refused to come to the negotiating table without mass compensation for their losses being considered and hence Spain still technically doesn't recognize the independence of Guyana. Guyana as a result is in effect a pariah state with few friends and allies in this harsh world.

Thoughts?

I told this you was going to be Haiti but on the Continent.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:29 am

Full Nation Name : Swedish Empire
Majority/Official Culture : Swedish
Territorial Core : Sweden, Norway, Denmark; Ghana-Togo/Gustavia, Venezuela/New Sweden(colonies).
Territorial Claim : Finland
Capital City : Stockholm
Population : ~12 million (core), ~4 million (colonies)

Government Type : Semi-Constitutional Monarchy
Government Ideology/Policies : Protectionist, Conservative
Government Focus : The policy of the Swedish Empire is to expand both the possibility of trade and potential markets.
Head of State : Emperor Adolph V, House Vasa

(Image)

Head of Government : Speaker Albert Martinson

(Image)

Government Description :The Riksdag is the national legislature and the decision-making body of the Swedish Empire - divided between two chambers, the House of Nobility and the House of Commons. The House of Nobility is in charge of scrutinizing the bills that have been approved by the House of Commons - while also regulating and amending Bills written by the House of Commons. It also acts as an advisory body to the Emperor, whom has the power to appoint members into the House of Nobility and the power to veto the House of Commons and also dismiss the House of Commons into a new election. The House of Commons is in charge of the day-to-day acts of the Empire.

The House of Commons itself has several political committees that handle to aspects of the Empire, key of them being - the Committee of Trade and Finance, the Committee of War, the Committee of Civil Affairs, the Committee of Foreign Affairs, the Committee of Colonial Affairs and so on.

Majority/State Religion : Catholicism (Franciscan/Capuchin)
Religious Description : Catholicism is the main religion of the Empire, although one heavily influenced and dominated by the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin sect. Most lands operated by the Church are owned by the state, as are the responsibilities for maintaining and repairing them - while the appointment of the various bishops and archbishops are under the authority of the Vatican. Most priests are provided an 'official' state alms to help maintain their congregation and provide support for the community and themselves.

Economic Ideologies : Swedish Mercantilism.
Major Production : Iron ore, steel, agriculture, manufactured goods (core); colonies: oil, mining(phosphate, gold, diamond, aluminum), agriculture(cocoa, coffee, tobacco, sugar, rubber).
Economic Description : Sweden has maintained the old theory of mercantilism, although adapted over the years to add a few characteristics and ideas to it - culminating in the idea of Swedish Mercantilism/New Mercantilism or Neo-Mercantilism. As the Swedish Empire couldn't compete either in manpower or resources - it has been advocated, that Sweden strengthens it's own position on the home-front and in the colonies, trading only in goods and services that it is dominant in. This has resulted in a mixed system of free market, protectionist tariffs and government investment/intervention in certain areas of the economy. While it doesn't maintain the high tariffs on the olden mercantilist ideals - it does make sure, that they are enough to ensure domestic dominance at home and in the colonies.

Development: Modern(core); semi-primitive/semi-industrial(colonies)
Development Description : While not an industrial giant like the American Empire, the Romans or the French - the Swedish Empire has kept up domestic progress ever since the reforms started by Gustavus Adolphus the Great. The Swedish Mercantilism has especially emphasized making use of every meter of Swedish soil in agriculture or manufacturing - leaving Sweden with a decent level of industrial strength able to match other growing industrial powers.

The Swedish Colonial System is unique - in the regard, that while the Empire maintains lucrative trade-agreements with the local natives - it has also built numerous centers of learning, built roads and also brought over machinery to aid in developing their colonial holdings. The idea a mixture of 'White Man' Burden' and a sense of a happy and educated local being a loyal and productive one at that.

Army Description : The Royal Army maintains a strong presence - as the main defenders of the Empire, thus they have been always granted the expenses necessary to keep-up and match the other European powers. A strong officers corps mixed in with numerous lessons learned from studying the French tactics and formations. The Empire' strategy is of 'superior firepower' - meant to emphasize both quality and a defensive nature; while providing the individual soldier the best equipment available, as well as ensuring regiments have both artillery, medical, recon and engineer support built into them itself. The Royal Army has around 80,000 active members with around 300,000 people ready in reserve. While in case of total war, they are prepared to enact mandatory conscription across the Empire.
Army Weakness : Despite being well-funded and crewed by both competent officers and eager volunteers - they lack experience and have mostly engaged in border conflicts and policing actions in the colonies.

Naval Description : Similar to the Royal Army, the Royal Navy has for awhile worried and trained against a naval invasion of Sweden and thus have been trained around a more defensive nature - emphasizing both coastal artillery support and also mining potential routes into the homeland of the Empire. While also making sure to protect maritime trade with the Empire and the colonies. This combined has meant the Royal Navy operates two battleships, four light cruisers, twenty destroyers half of them operating as minelayers.
Naval Weakness : Similar to the Royal Army, the naval force has mostly engaged in patrolling their own trade routes and running naval exercises in the Baltic Sea - although beyond that they don't have many Admirals or officers much experienced in any combat in Atlantic Theater.
Further Military Description : The Royal Navy has started experimenting with the idea of submarines - in an effort to gain some sort of advantage of their Rus and French rivals.

National Goals : Maintain the status quo, continue developing colonial holdings, increase exports.
National Issues : Increase population, increase domestic production.
National Figures of Interest : Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, Gustav I of Sweden.
National Ambition/Aspirations : Have Sweden return to a position as Great Power in Europe and the Baltic Sea.

History : Gustav's election as King on 6 June 1523 and his triumphant entry into Stockholm eleven days later marked Sweden's final secession from the Kalmar Union and the start of the Swedish Empire - being responsible for starting many of the early reformations and the head of House Vasa that turned Sweden from an elective monarchy into a hereditary one. Reworking the taxes and bring about a reformation in Sweden, replacing the prerogatives of local landowners and noblemen with centrally appointed governors. One of the biggest issue that arose was the Catholic Church' position in Sweden - as the King had issues with the impractical organisation, perceived stagnation within the Church, a will toward independence from Rome, the financial needs of the state, as well as new ideas. As well as the King' personal grudge against the previous Archbishop, Gustav Trolle, who at the time held the post of a sort of chancellor and had been considered aiding Denmark against Sweden.

While numerous letters were exchanged between the Vatican and Stockholm - growing more heated, the Reformation was stopped before it was begun in Sweden. As the then Pope agreed to certain positions, in fear of having a secondary Protestant nation forming in the North and providing the French an ally against Catholic supremacy. Concessions were made an in the end, Sweden remained a Catholic state under the Stockholm Agreements: the Vatican was allowed to maintain the self-appointment of archbishops although most of them would hail from the Franciscan or Capuchin sect, most of the Church lands were 'turned over' to the control of the Crown, the Crown would maintain and provide state alms to the Church officials and be in-charge of maintaining Church property.

Following these events - the Kingdom of Sweden would focus on building itself up as a regional power in the Baltic Sea. It would be during the reign of Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden that Sweden would become an Empire. During his reign, Sweden rose from the status of a Baltic Sea basin regional power to one of the great powers of Europe and a model of early modern era government, easily matching the Protestant French. Under his tutelage, Sweden and the Catholic cause developed a number of excellent commanders, called "The Golden King" and "The Lion of the North", he made Sweden one of the great powers of Europe, in part by reforming the administrative structure. In addition to his numerous other achievements in the field of economic reform, trade, modernization, and the creation of the modern bureaucratic autocracy. His domestic reforms, which transformed a backward, almost medieval economy and society, setting the foundations for his victories in Norway, but also absolutely crucial for the creation and survival of the Swedish Empire.

Sweden would expand it's territory by annexing Norway from Denmark and putting an end to the Kalmar Union - conquer Denmark completely, following the latter' humiliating defeat against the French and through some bribery and promises completely turned the tables on Danish dominance in the Baltic Sea. Queen Christina would aid the Germans and the Catholic cause against the Protestants - ensuring that the French wouldn't be able to expand and completely conquer the Central Empire although, following the few victories they would eventually loose Finland to the Rus - a territory that has been the cause of numerous border conflicts and several failed attempts at reconquest.

Following the rule of Queen Christina and several failed attempts and battles against the French and Rus - the Swedish Empire eventually turned inward, both to prevent the collapse of the Empire and also economic exhaustion. This would eventually develop into the Swedish Neutrality - as the Empire focused more on internal than foreign matters, many times refusing to engage into combat with the French - a situation that saved them from complete destruction and ensured their economy could take advantage of the numerous reconstructions and arms exports necessary to combat the French Commonwealth.

The Swedish Empire would end up purchasing Venezuela from the Spanish and renaming it to New Sweden - ensuring the Swedes had also a slice of pie in the New World in addition to their new colony of Gustavia in Africa. For most of their history, the Swedish Empire has maintained their policy of armed neutrality - remaining favorable to the Catholic cause, although decades of French supremacy having demonstrated the need to avoid stepping into any unnecessary conflict with the French or any other European powers. Still this has been tempered by the noted pragmatism - that the Swedish wouldn't mind an alliance against the French if victory or great prizes are ensured - as many still yearn for the return of the times of Gustav the Great when Sweden dominated the Baltic Sea and was considered a Great Power alongside Rome and the Commonwealth.

RP Sample: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=461342

#AltDiv (do not delete this, it's for keeping track of the apps)

For the most part this app is okay, but the history section is a little threadbare. In particular, I'd like to know how Sweden's present constitutional system came into existence, when and why the monarch of Sweden was restyled as an emperor, and when Sweden acquired its colonial territories precisely. At the moment you've got the outline of an alternate history, but it needs a bit more meat on its bones.

Kamchakta wrote:(Image)

Full Nation Name: The Portuguese Empire
Majority/Official Culture: Portuguese (85.6%) is the official culture although many other tribes reside within the African Colonies such as the Ovimbundu, Mbundu and Bakongo in Angola. Some were recognised for their outstanding bravery in fighting and resisting Portuguese occupation and have military units of their own. While the cultures of the natives are slowly assimilated into the larger Portuguese family as they retain their ability to practice local customs and enjoy their local cuisine, they have to abide the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.
Official Languages: Portuguese (96.7%) and Latin
Territorial Core: Portugal and Azore Islands
Territorial Claim: Galicia (Spain) has been eyed by Portuguese Nationalist since time and memorial. Especially now with the revolutionary spirit burning among many Portuguese, some fear or wonder whether the dream of a Greater Portugal will ever be realised.
Capital City: Lisboa (658,930)
Population: 7.26 Million (Core) 2.1 Million (Colonies) 9.36 Million (Total)

Lisboa (658,930)
Porto (411,214)
Sinitra (398,226)

Mozambique: 846,320
Angola: 758,291
South Tanzania: 321,872
Zambia and Zimbabwe: 299,310

Government Type: Absolute Hereditary Monarchy
Government Ideology/Policies: Imperialist, Conservative

Government Focus: King Dom Carlos I, Monarch of Portugal is focused and consolidating his power on the mainland. With the populace getting agitated and rowdier as the demand a Republic, Carlos I finds himself having no choice to slowly reform the system and grant more powers to the people which angers the people who support the Monarchy who mostly consist of the rich merchants. His advisors and ministers are fractured on whether they should remain loyal to the King or grab power for themselves by flowing along with the tides of revolutionary change. Only time will tell if a revolution can be averted. Economically, Portugal is also not as strong as it used to which is fueling even more anger among Portuguese Nationalist.

Head of State: King Dom Carlos I
Head of Government: Council of Advisors (Conselho de Assessores) - Teófilo Braga - Minister of Trade and Commerce, Alfonso Claudio - Defence, Miguel Brasil - Foreign Affairs. They assist and advise the King regarding decisions and affairs.
Government Description: Since time and memorial, Portugal has been ruled through a succession of Kings and their heirs. Carlos I's heir is Dom Manuel II. The Council of Advisors/Ministers is in charge of helping the King make decisions while the majority of the populace is given little say in the external and internal dealings of the Empire. The Church also plays a major role as they have the power of anointing and the coronation the new King. Should the disapprove, the Church has levied and in the past fought wars against Portugal itself. That is why the lineage of Carlos I was not always the royal family of Portugal. This court culture results in frequent corruptions, especially with the materialistic and mercantilist thinking of the people in power. The Conselho de Assessores consists of 12 advisors to the King and are experts in their own fields pertaining to different matters.

Majority/State Religion: Roman Catholicism (91.8%) [Under the Greater Chalcedonian Church]
Religious Description: The Church of Portugal is a powerful institution. The 3 provinces of Portugal are the Ecclesiastical Province of Lisboa, Braga and Evora. The highest of these is the Cardinal of the Latin Patriarchate of Lisboa, led by Cardinal José (III) Sebastião de Almeida Neto. Under him are the many individual Archdiocese and Archbishops of the many small churches in the 3 main Ecclesiastical Provinces. Education is also influenced by the church with there being more than 560 religious schools in Portugal and 20 abroad in the colonies. the Mission Church of Angola and Mozambique are led by the Jesuit Religious Order while the Redemptorist lead the Mission Church of Zimbabwe. Military religious orders such as the Knights of St John's also reside in Lisboa.

Economic Ideologies: Mercantilism, Protectionism of Trade (Gold Standard) and Capitalism
Major Production: Portugal (Core) - Textiles, Machine-Parts, Steel, Tungsten, Clothes, Footwear, Tomatoes, Pears, Oranges, Fish, Wine, Rum, Wine Corks, Cheese, Ships (Military and Commercial), Early Cars, Petroleum, Bolt-Action Rifles and Artillery (For Local Armed Forces)
[spoiler=Colonial Production]Cotton, Sugar, Fish, Citrus, Timber, Coffee, Diamonds, Gold, Silver, Coal, Iron, Oil
Economic Description: Due to being a Mercantilist nation with our Portuguese Escudo (Currency) tied to the Gold Standard, Portugal continues to maintain protectionist policies to ensure wealth stays within the borders of the realm. Many raw and precious goods come from the colonies while Portugal has slowly been shifting to work in the factories and industrialising. In the colonies, slightly below half are farmers while the other half work in mines or excavation related jobs. In Portugal, 35% Work on agriculture while 10% are employed in crafts such as fine wines, cheese and corks. Shipbuilding is the mainstay of Portugal's industrialisation with the shipyards of Lisboa and Porto upgraded in 1871 to house and build Ironclads. Much of the industry being developed is in Ironworks and metallurgy. Machine Part factories in Lisboa churn out the products at rates faster than ever seen since the factories first opened in 1892. Steelworks are beginning to take off especially in Braga Province. Much of it (66%) of it is government owned by the Monarchy while the remaining is private but driven by 1% of the richest in Portugal.

Development: Modern (Mainland Portugal) Semi-Industrialised (Empire)
Development Description: Portugal had begun industrialisation in the 1880s when the railway was becoming popular. Furthermore, the Naval tradition of Portugal spurred further development due to many of the shipbuilding industries pertaining to industrial activity. Hence, while the literacy rates in Portugal were at 12% in 1830, by the 1870s, they had reached 42% and in 1906 today a stunning 85% (Which is partially why revolutionary sentiment of spreading). Large clothes and textile factories were present as early as 1890 and in the 1890s, Portugal began to make Machine Parts and Ships of tonnage excess of 14,000 tons. Railway in Portugal is dominated by a Private Company (Partially Govt. owned) called Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses - Portuguese Railways finished the constructing a Lisboa to Porto railway in 1883 allowing for goods to be shipped quickly between the 2 major cities. The mainland is extremely dense in railway infrastructure and telegraph lines crisscross the entirety of Mainland Portugal allowing for quick communication between major Portuguese cities by 1904. This quick development of the mainland was needed due to the massive population of our European Competitors like Spain and France. Therefore, many of the farms use early tractors which improved the efficiency of ploughing the land and reducing the workers needed giving the unemployment needed to open factories. The colonies have extensive railways to send resources towards ports like Luanda for shipment. However, mainly focused on the extraction of resources, few factories have been built in the colonies with the exception of certain private ventures. Iron from Angola keeps the Machine Parts and steelworks in Portugal running while gold, silver and diamond from Zimbabwe and Zambia allow for a constant flow of revenue to Portugal. Oil from Angola is also starting to fuel the refineries in Portugal for the cars it is beginning to produce at a slow pace.

(Image)
Portuguese Army Flag

Army Description: Exército Português (The Portuguese Army) is responsible for the defence of mainland Portugal and her colonies. Comprising of 148,200 regular soldiers, the Portuguese Army is small in comparison to its European counterparts. The regular army is divided into 4 Corps (I, II, III, IV) which consist of 12 Infantry Divisions, each consisting of 14,000 soldiers which are further split into 3 Brigades. These divisions are trained regularly and are based in the Brigade level at different locations in Portugal. At any time, these are the 12 divisions that will respond to an invasion. These 12 regular divisions are some of the best in Europe as the need to favour quality over quantity was amplified due to the small population of the Empire. Following France, Portugal went through massive Military reforms in the 1890s with the introduction of early machineguns. Portugal was eager to test these new weapons and develop strategies for their implementation of the battlefield. At a Platoon level, a few units were equipped with the machineguns and within a Company, there can be as many as 4. To maximise individual firepower, the bolt-action rifles of the Portuguese army is the Mauser–Vergueiro which with single shots can hit a target at great distances.

Furthermore, there is a Royal Guard of the Archers (Guarda Real dos Archeiros) Brigade of 3,000 soldiers who are rigorously vetted for their proficiency and skill before being admitted into the elite unit that is based in Lisboa Barracks, outside the King's residence. In essence, the Royal Guard of the Archers has been around since 1572 under King John II of Portugal and are known for their organisation and skill at fighting having fought in times where Portugal was threatened such as when Spain seized Lisboa in 1588.

Moreover, Portugal has a conscription system requiring men aged 18 to serve 3 years in the Armed Forces, this brings the number of conscripted men to 435,600 soldiers serving in 10 Corps (V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV) and into a further 30 Divisions. They are equipped with similar equipment to the regular divisions and are led by Regular Army Officers at the top and NCOs down to the Brigade level. An enlisted soldier who displays himself to command admirably is able to serve as an NCO at a Brigade level and must join the regular armed forces to go further.

Military tradition is deeply entrenched with the religious history of the nations and there are several religious orders that run their own military units. One such unit is the Most Reveranable Knights of the Order of St John's. Their Brigade of 4,000 men is run on their own funding and equipped with various different types of rifles and machineguns. They are decentralised from the main force but have proven effective when coordinating with Portuguese forces in previous conflicts such as the Animist Zealot Rebellion in Zimbabwe in 1866. Their unit dates back to the times of the early middle ages in 958 BC.

Meanwhile, there are 105,000 soldiers from the conscription in the colonies that form 3 Corps. The Moçambique Colonial Corp (1864), Companhia Colonial de Angola (1870) and the Sociedade colonial de Zâmbia (1874). These Corps consist of conscripts and regular soldiers. Furthermore, there are 2 Brigades of Native soldiers. The Brigada Mbundu of 5,000 elite natives and Brigada Bakongo of 6,000.

This brings the total size of the armed forces to 706,800 soldiers (Regular and Conscripted)

Army Weakness : One of the main weaknesses of the Exército Português (The Portuguese Army) is the Officer Corp. While there were periods of reforms in implementing the machinegun and reforming the doctrine of the Portuguese Army, it was met with fierce resistance from the Old Guard that supported the King. With some of the Old Guard still residing in their positions as generals and in the command staff, their doctrines may be severely outdated in this new kind of warfare. New, fresh minds are needed within the High Command but the new Staff Officers from Military schools in Lisboa are frequently ignored and their promotions stopped for the Old Guard to keep their own positions and precious titles creating an environment hostile to new ideas.

(Image)
Portuguese Naval Ensign

Naval Description : The Marinha Portuguesa, also known as Marinha de Guerra Portuguesa or as Armada Portuguesa (Portuguese Navy) is the pride of Portugal. The Army was always something that was born out of necessity being on Mainland Europe but the joining Navy was the dream of every Portuguese. The Armada Portuguesa has had a long history and maritime tradition dating back to 1317 when it was founded by King Denis I Of Portugal. Winning in battles such as the Battle of Lisboa Coast in which the Navy fended up the Naval Blockade by Spain and it was said body after body of Spanish Sailors had washed ashore after the battle. It was also responsible for discovering trade routes to India in 1498 by Vasco Da Gama.

The Portuguese Navy comprises of 2 Fleets, the Armada de Casa (Homefleet) and Armada das Colônias (Colonial Fleet) and in total 86,250 professional sailors with 46,340 in reserve. The Homefleet is the pride of Portugal and the total fleet has 64 ships.
Armada de Casa
- 4 Principe Class Battleships - (Rainha de Portugal, Infante Dom Pedro, Príncipe Real, São Sebastião)
13,150 tons, 4 - 12-inch guns (2 twin turrets), 18 Knots
- 14 Armoured/Protected Cruisers
6 Gabriel Armoured Cruiser Class
9,800 tons, 12 6-inch guns (2 twin turrets, 8 single guns), 2 18-inch torpedo tubes, 23 knots, belt 2-6 inches, turrets 6.5 inches, conning tower 10 inches
8 Rafael Protected Cruiser Class
9,150 tons, 2 9-inch guns (2 single turrets), 10 6-inch guns (10 single guns), 4 14-inch torpedo tubes, 20 knots, belt 3 inches, turrets 5 inches, conning tower 7 inches
- 16 Bernardo Class Destroyers
550 tons, 4 5-inch guns (4 single guns), 6 14-inch torpedo tubes, 25.5 knots, belt 1 inch, conning tower 3 inches

Armada das Colônias
- 2 Principe Class Battleships - (Santo Alberto, Lisboa)
- 6 Gabriel Class Armoured Cruisers
14 Colonias Class Destroyers
600 tons, 6 5-inch guns (6 single guns), 2 18-inch torpedo tubes, 26 knots, belt 1 inch, conning tower, 5 inches

The government frequently updates and expands the Navy and its long history has seen many victories. While many might think there would be complacency in the Navy, it is surprisingly the least corrupt institution in Portugal as too many respect the Navy tradition of honour. The Navy constantly updates its tactics and conducts simulated exercises and sea trials to test the abilities of its sailors. The navy is an all regular force. However, conscripts who serve well and show the characteristics of a good sailor are offered to take it up as a job and it is usually a great honour. Naval schools in Porto and Lisboa produce find graduates who immediately take of positions in the Navy. This promotion by merit and not affiliation ensures the Navy does not suffer the pitfalls the army does. There is even a limit to how long one can serve actively with the Old Guard upon reaching 60 having to step down for the younger generation of leaders. the Navy is one of the few jobs were pensions are provided for life after service and is hence a very attractive service.

Naval Weakness : Despite the Armada Portuguesa's long history, due to the small size and economy of Portugal, it can no longer sustain the hundreds of wooden ships it once could and had to opt for a smaller and more capability driven navy. This was to the dismay of many Navy hawks who reminisced the time when the Portuguese were hundreds of ships strong. Therefore, if faced with a larger conflict with France, no matter the strength of the navy, France would be able to outproduce Portugal in terms of number of ships and this numerical disadvantage has forced Portugal to not maintain its powerful place as the world's policeman but instead forge alliances and friendships to maintain its precarious situation. Hence, the Navy's job has become more diplomatic in nature than war.

National Goals: To keep the Nation's Naval Dominance in the region, maintain the borders of the realm, forge new alliances with European Powers to ensure Portugal's security in the region and if possible expand her colonial possessions elsewhere. However, Portugal is not in a position to have grand ideas of taking back Galicia or going to war with Spain so Portugal's aim is to remain peaceful unless the opportunity arises. Potential allies such as the Western Roman Empire must be secured for Portugal's safety. Diplomacy will be the national focus.

National Issues: To maintain the delicate balance and prevent a possible revolution. Internal turmoil is growing as the literate populace wants to establish a Republic and rid the monarchy. A slowdown in industrialisation is occurring and unemployment is rising, privatisation may be the answer and mercantilism may have to stop in favour of open free market trading. Portugal is at the crossroads on if it should reform it's old ways or continue down its Absolutist path. Either way, there is bound to be great uncertainty.

National Figures of Interest: Cadu De Souza (1st Rate Admiral of Homefleet), Aloisio Lima (1st Rate Admiral of Colonial Fleet), Fausto Ramires (Chief Staff Officer of Army), Claudio Sousa (General of Regular Corps 1-4), Christiano Trinidad (General of Conscript Corp 5-14), Dom Carlos I (King), Dom Manuel II (Crown Prince), Teófilo Braga (Minister of Trade and Commerce), Alfonso Claudio (Minister of Defence), Miguel Brasil (Minister of Foreign Affairs), Luciano Xavier (Chairman of the Labour Union of Portuguese Workers)

History : The start of Portugal for many was when its navy was founded in 1317. During those times, the Western Roman Empire was still powerful and Spain was a serious threat. King Denis the Great would fight a long war from 1305-1324 for the conquest of Evora (Southern Portugal) against neighbouring princes. He was successful at first but great power intervention forced King Denis to withdraw and nothing was gained from the conflict. It was during this time that the Navy was formed due to the fact Portugal found itself woefully unprepared against other powers of that time.

By the year 1458, Portugal under a King Emmanuel II fought a brutal war for the claims on Evora once again. It was in 1460 that the battle of the coast of Lisboa took place. The Spanish armies marched into Lisboa where the Royal Guards of Archers defended valiantly, at the same time, the blockade of Lisboa was starving the men. On May 3rd, the Armada of 87 ships of Portugal and her allies set sail from Porto and met the Coalition fleet of 156 ships. The battle lasted 2 days but under the brilliant tactician Rameriez Diego who was just aged 28 then, the entire coalition armada was crushed and the attack on Lisboa was lifted. By 1472, Portugal claimed Evora and is the mainland Portugal we see today.

The occurring in the Western and Eastern Roman Empires greatly affected the state of religion in Portugal. Before, the Cardinals and Archbishops all were loyal to the traditional Roman Catholic Church of the Western Roman Empire. However, it was between in the late 1400s to lates 1500s did the church start to become more Chalcedonic in nature due to their closeness. There was never major tension between the sects of Orthodox and Catholic and in order to ensure religious unity in the face of some tyrant Kings, Portugal's religious institutes fell under the Greater Chalcedonic Church.

In 1498, Vasco Da Gama discovered a trade route to India and thus began the Age of Discovery. Many other Portuguese sailors and navigators would try their luck and die in the deep depths of the Ocean they set sail to conquer. In 1532, the war was declared against Spain to claim Galicia. After a humiliating defeat at A Coruna, Portugal entered a period of peace and isolationism for the next 50 years under King Ferdinand De Souza the Coward. After a failed succession and the Portuguese Chalcedonic Church declaring war against the King, killing him and his family, the new King, Vittorio Vento I reopened the nation to trade.

After long periods of constant war with Spain to Portugal's modern borders, relations began to cool to 1906 levels a century after the failed invasion of Galicia. Trade between the Spanish and Portuguese naturally increased due to the close proximity and road connections between the 2 nations. It was to be a start of an era of prosperity for Portugal without having to worry over the defence of the mainland, funds could be directed toward state projects and it was from 1540-1567 that the Lisboa Chalcedonic Cathedral finished construction. It was truly a sight to behold and it still stands today, the home church of the Latin Patriarchate of Lisboa.

It was in 1582 did King Christiano Vento III founded the 1st colony in Angola. This created great exuberance and excitement within mainland Portugal. Imperialism was all the rage and respectively, the colonies of Mozambique, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Zambia were founded in 1598, 1636, 1768 and 1787. The inner parts of Africa were colonised later due to the impression that there was nothing of value there. Upon striking gold in Angola, there was a gold rush between the years of 1612-1678 and many European Portuguese settled there. The first of many Colonial conflicts occurred in 1658 when the Angolan tribes rose up to attack Portuguese settlements. In harsh retaliation, many natives were murdered and killed. At the same time, spreading the religion to Africa. However, in the 1825 colonial conflict, certain tribes impressed the Portuguese for fighting so valiantly and Army Corps was created comprising of these men and they were paid handsomely.

In the 1870s, as the rate of industrialisation increased rapidly, literacy rates went up along with it and several labour unions were formed to complain of the tough lives of the people and the undemocratic system of governance. Anti-Monarchy sentiment grew across the country and King Carlos I is in a precarious situation. That being said, the GDP and economy of Portugal boomed during the years of 1870-1904. Massive textile factories were built and products were being churned out at a rapid pace. Communication has never been faster without the telegram. However, things began to slow down and protest were common on the streets of Lisboa over the poor quality of living. Portugal has reached a tipping point.

RP Sample: The pattern above is pretty much my RP style (Paragraphs for Stories) Telegrammes and Messages if writing to another nation.

#AltDiv (do not delete this, it's for keeping track of the apps)

As with the Sweden app above, I would like to see a bit more meat to your history. It wasn't entirely clear to me where your point of departure from the RL timeline was, and I think you need to explain in more detail how and why the Portuguese church became separate from the wider Roman Catholic Church and why the Pope would allow such a thing. Your military numbers are very large for your nation's population; you either need to cut them down, or justify your high military numbers some other way. And finally, I'd like to see a real RP sample. Your application doesn't count, everyone submits one of those. If we could judge people's roleplaying ability on the basis of their apps, we wouldn't need to ask for samples.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

The Felan Federation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Felan Federation » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:49 am

Tracian Empire wrote:

Also, I have noticed an issue that was unfortunately missed before - Gotland was part of the Polish-Lithuanian claim from the beginning, and it will remain there.

Got it.

Old Tyrannia wrote:
For the most part this app is okay, but the history section is a little threadbare. In particular, I'd like to know how Sweden's present constitutional system came into existence, when and why the monarch of Sweden was restyled as an emperor, and when Sweden acquired its colonial territories precisely. At the moment you've got the outline of an alternate history, but it needs a bit more meat on its bones.

I mostly built up the current Swedish Empire from our own historical one. The Swedish Empire that was created in the 1611 by Gustav Adolphus. (Swedish Empire)

Most of Swedish history until then would have remained the same, except when the Kingdom of Sweden was first established the relationship between the Pope and King Gustav I wasn't broken and thus Sweden remained Catholic. Thus also, without the Thirty Year War Gustav Adolphus hadn't been killed and would have been had much more time to stabilize Sweden' territory even further.

Although following this periods Battle of Poltava between Sweden and the Rus - instead of going into decline, the stabilized Swedish Empire would have instead turned inward. Following these 'Napoleonic Wars' - Sweden had purchased Venezuela from the broke Spanish. While their colonies in Africa would have been gotten during this ATL Scramble for Africa.

As for the constitutional monarchy part - I took liberty with this Riksdag - I assume, it might have eventually evolved into the semi-constitutional system that it is now. Although still a bit depends on how the Rus' history will turn out - either it adopted this kind of system peacefully or after a military fighting gone awry - like with here in 1809.
Last edited by The Felan Federation on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse