NATION

PASSWORD

Voyages in Andromeda (FT Char RP|OOC, Signup, Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:50 am

Bingellia wrote:
Puranas wrote:I've been following along and have currently read through all of both threads. I have some interest in joining your story, but am worried my posts won't stand up to scrutiny...especially compared to what I see being posted so far.

Well, I wouldn't be so self-critical. A lot of the posts have been co-written while contributions to them often vary. Make a character application and don't be afraid to ask for help. We don't bite.

Exactly what Bingley said. If you pop up a custom species/character app, we are all happy to give some constructive feedback. Also feel free to hop onto our discord.

As the OP, I really don't mind if you aren't an accomplished writer yet. You should have seen the garbage I wrote when I first joined NS! Feel free to use this thread to develop your skills.

There has been a slow down, which was mostly my fault; I was overseas until a few days ago and have been exhausted. I am full of energy today though and will do my best to get the ball rolling again.

Puranas
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 31, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Puranas » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:59 am

Lol, alright, first question. Skrim drive info references hyperspace, but think I saw subspace references in IC. They being used interchangeably? Or they considered separate realms for this setting?

Sorry, bit of a sci fi junky, so was going to use subspace for my guys' backstory, but wanted to make sure I had right info.
Puranas National Factbook (Under construction)
Andromeda Discord - The official Discord server for Dyelli Beybi‘s Andromeda universe set RPs
Far From Home Discord - The official Discord server for Theyra's original character RP

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Puranas wrote:Lol, alright, first question. Skrim drive info references hyperspace, but think I saw subspace references in IC. They being used interchangeably? Or they considered separate realms for this setting?

Sorry, bit of a sci fi junky, so was going to use subspace for my guys' backstory, but wanted to make sure I had right info.

Just using them interchangeably... probably because I, or whomever wrote that, had forgotten we'd said 'subspace' in the first post :P
Last edited by Dyelli Beybi on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puranas
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Puranas » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Alright, thanks. Fits with the Stargate style I've been picturing for the Skrim drive. Will try the Discord link when I get home.
Andromeda Discord - The official Discord server for Dyelli Beybi‘s Andromeda universe set RPs
Far From Home Discord - The official Discord server for Theyra's original character RP

Puranas
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Puranas » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:46 pm

Took longer than planned, but hope this fits standards.
https://puranas-national-factbook.fando ... i/Oni_(ViA)
Species Description

Name: Oni (Singular, Plural, and Adjective form)

Naming Conventions: Oni, male and female, can be named almost anything. In sequence, an Oni's name is read "personal", then "family", and then "clan". All Oni identify themselves as the son or daughter of one of the many clans and this is often a form of pride for them.

Appearance: https://onigiri.fandom.com/wiki/Clothing

Externally, Oni are visually human. Their most distinctive and noticeable physical difference is the natural horns that grow out of their heads - on average, both genders have a pair with males usually having larger, more ornate horns than females (though number and style can vary between clans) - and a wider range of hair, skin (though this is more particular to certain clans) and eye colorations.

Biology: Having evolved on a world located closer to the galactic core than most other sapient species, the physiology of the Oni, and other life on Musashi, has adapted to survive in the higher radiation. While these don't restrict them from living outside their nominal zone, but it does keep most other species from getting to far into their space; in exchange these combine to allow Oni to average a higher tolerance to enduring both higher rads and duration of radiation exposure.

The Oni skeletal structure is crystalline instead of the calcium base known by humans as standard on Earth. This allows for their bodies to tolerate higher radiation as it redirects the particles and energy from their tissues and emit it out through the cranial horns. If the expelled radiation is high enough, the horns can glow in the visual range of the electromagnetic spectrum, but usually its a softer emission outside of the visual reach of most species.

As a side effect of their horns acting as radiators to manage the radiation within their bodies, Oni horns tend to be unique in the patterns the radiation is emitted in. Evolution led to the species developing the ability to see near ultraviolet on top of the normal visual spectrum, and - though technology eventually was developed to use these unique patterns as personal identification - Oni were able to learn to distinguish each other by these patterns.

Due to the natural celestial environment around their homeworld, Oni bodily tissues tend to be higher in radiation than those of most other species. While this may make them unappetizing to most carnivorous species in the greater galaxy, this radiation can and will fade away the longer an Oni spends in normal space.

Oni evolved both a more aggressive immune system and faster regeneration rate in order to survive the effects of radiation. Five times more efficient than that of a human, Oni regeneration allows them to heal faster to recover from the natural cellular degradation the radiation causes. Their more aggressive immune system allows for them to better fight radiation induced cancers; it also makes any Oni that reach the outside galaxy more resistant to infection by all but the hardiest bugs.

Due to a bizarre interaction, some of the hormones the body produces during the onset of puberty mixes with the Oni regeneration and immune systems to combine into a slow down of physical aging.

Due to a traditionally physical lifestyle and a somewhat denser musculature, compared to the average human, the average Oni is two to three times stronger. In layman's terms, this puts the average Oni as equivalent to an athletic human. There are outliers, chiefly among specific clans, in both directions; and the more trained an Oni is, the more super human they can seem from a human perspective.

Homeworld: Musashi

Location Of Note: Laihiala

Beliefs And Culture: Isolationists by nature, the Oni prefer to stay out of the greater world outside their sphere. Outside of a few, select individuals, only those going on Walkabout as their right of passage to decide if they'll continue living within Oni society or abandon it for the outside leave their hidden places of safety.

Young Oni are only considered legitimate to start their Walkabout after reaching the Earth equivalent of 100 years of age. On top of this, their shifu must give their blessing for it to be approved.

Depending on clan, Oni opinions on monogamy, polyamory, and polygamy can differ greatly. However, no matter the views on size of a family, all currently existing clans mandate consent - part of the Maneater Wars was the extermination of clans that did not, albeit at the cost of countless lives, technologies, and knowledge forever lost to the void.

Seeing all beings as having a place in the universe, the Oni clans are willing to adopt into them members of other species who are judged as being able to fit into both the clan in particular and the greater Oni society as a whole. These former refugees of the stars enjoy freedoms they might not have gotten under the thumb of other nations, but the Oni maintain a number of rules to ensure the safety, security, and secrecy of everyone.

They believe in the concept of soul being separate from the body and everything has one, from the smallest rock to the biggest star. On death, the soul is judged for the good and bad karma it has earned and sent onto the wheel of reincarnation. After enough trips through this process, the soul is either pure good or bad karma - first gets to ascend to a higher plane, having earned the right; second is either cast down into darkness or kept going through the cycle until it’s purified....not really settled on this yet.

They see the universe itself as a living thing and everything in it as it learning about life, those who manage to ascend and leave the cycle of reincarnation join the consciousness of the universe and those who went before in Nirvana.

History: In the distant past, the precursors of what became the species now known as the Oni crawled out of the primeval muk on their homeworld of Musashi. Over time, they evolved into the dominant species of the planet in spite of its location in such a hostile part of the galaxy and began the typical long march that every species follows.

At an unknown point, the Oni came to the attention of an off-world species. Their true name lost to time - different Oni religious cults centered around them have long debated what the 'name of the gods' was - they eventually decided to uplift a select group of Oni and transplant them to a Dyson shell, which the Oni named Laihiala, they had constructed near by. For a number of centuries, these off-worlders would regularly return and abduct Oni from both Musashi and Laihiala - at first, the developing Oni saw these as divine occurances, but eventually developed enough to recognize them as what Earth has dubbed close encounters with technological beings from another world.

Over time, the two isolated populations of Oni developed along seperate paths as the off-worlders' experiments continued. Though unknowning of it at the time, the outside galaxy had fallen into a massive war between numerous factions and the mysterious visitors finally dissappeared for good in this period - what became of them has long been a source of debate for Oni scholars.

The Oni of Laihiala were the first to achieve spaceflight - the discovery that their home was inside out compared to a normal world came as quite their surprise. Following information left behind by their mysterious benefactors, these Oni made their way back to Musashi. There, leaders from both sides recognized the other as kin and agreed to live together on both worlds.

Combining their civilizations, Musashi and Laihiala developed rapidly only to be met by a serious blow that set them back severly - the Maneater clans. As the dominant modern religion hadn't spread fully at that point, those clans which chose to live counter to its teachings about life and the soul broke from the others and tried to assert their dominance. Seeing others, even other Oni, as little more than snacks and playthings and even spread to other worlds where they also tried to put themselves as masters of the more primitive locals. On some worlds, the Maneaters were repulsed by the natives; others saw them pulled off by their rival clans. In the end, tensions rose to the max and the Oni civil war, now remembered as the Maneater Wars, kicked into full gear as the offending clans were hunted down and wiped from memories, even their names were excised from history.

In keeping with their beliefs, the captives rescued from the Maneater clans were offered the choice of either returning home or being adopted into one of the surviving clans. Of those who chose the latter, their descendants continue to give modern Oni a slightly outside perspective on things that come up. From that point on, the Oni turned inward - no longer the power they were, their sphere currently is pretty much just Musashi and Laihiala - and they allowed the belief system that had won the wars to spread and integrate. Eventually, Oni actions in the galaxy faded from memory and, if remembered at all, they became the stuff of myths and legends.

Also, just for record, if another RPer wants to make an Oni character, I'm not really against it, just would like them to chit-chat with me so we can make sure what they have in mind fits the fluff.

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Arengin Union » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:56 pm

Foxfound Japenese-American you two okay???
"I do as I please"
-King Abraham Markev final words before jumping into a cage to fight a lion.

Proud member of the Federation of Allies

The Japanese Americans
Envoy

Founded: Jun 24, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Japanese Americans » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Arengin Union wrote:Foxfound Japenese-American you two okay???

Yeah. Been busy with school, and couldn't really find a good way to jump in.
I'm an autistic 19 year old who used to read a library's worth of books.

Call me JA. It's easier than typing out Japanese Americans.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:46 am

Puranas wrote:Took longer than planned, but hope this fits standards.
https://puranas-national-factbook.fando ... i/Oni_(ViA)
Species Description

Name: Oni (Singular, Plural, and Adjective form)

Naming Conventions: Oni, male and female, can be named almost anything. In sequence, an Oni's name is read "personal", then "family", and then "clan". All Oni identify themselves as the son or daughter of one of the many clans and this is often a form of pride for them.

Appearance: https://onigiri.fandom.com/wiki/Clothing

Externally, Oni are visually human. Their most distinctive and noticeable physical difference is the natural horns that grow out of their heads - on average, both genders have a pair with males usually having larger, more ornate horns than females (though number and style can vary between clans) - and a wider range of hair, skin (though this is more particular to certain clans) and eye colorations.

Biology: Having evolved on a world located closer to the galactic core than most other sapient species, the physiology of the Oni, and other life on Musashi, has adapted to survive in the higher radiation. While these don't restrict them from living outside their nominal zone, but it does keep most other species from getting to far into their space; in exchange these combine to allow Oni to average a higher tolerance to enduring both higher rads and duration of radiation exposure.

The Oni skeletal structure is crystalline instead of the calcium base known by humans as standard on Earth. This allows for their bodies to tolerate higher radiation as it redirects the particles and energy from their tissues and emit it out through the cranial horns. If the expelled radiation is high enough, the horns can glow in the visual range of the electromagnetic spectrum, but usually its a softer emission outside of the visual reach of most species.

As a side effect of their horns acting as radiators to manage the radiation within their bodies, Oni horns tend to be unique in the patterns the radiation is emitted in. Evolution led to the species developing the ability to see near ultraviolet on top of the normal visual spectrum, and - though technology eventually was developed to use these unique patterns as personal identification - Oni were able to learn to distinguish each other by these patterns.

Due to the natural celestial environment around their homeworld, Oni bodily tissues tend to be higher in radiation than those of most other species. While this may make them unappetizing to most carnivorous species in the greater galaxy, this radiation can and will fade away the longer an Oni spends in normal space.

Oni evolved both a more aggressive immune system and faster regeneration rate in order to survive the effects of radiation. Five times more efficient than that of a human, Oni regeneration allows them to heal faster to recover from the natural cellular degradation the radiation causes. Their more aggressive immune system allows for them to better fight radiation induced cancers; it also makes any Oni that reach the outside galaxy more resistant to infection by all but the hardiest bugs.

Due to a bizarre interaction, some of the hormones the body produces during the onset of puberty mixes with the Oni regeneration and immune systems to combine into a slow down of physical aging.

Due to a traditionally physical lifestyle and a somewhat denser musculature, compared to the average human, the average Oni is two to three times stronger. In layman's terms, this puts the average Oni as equivalent to an athletic human. There are outliers, chiefly among specific clans, in both directions; and the more trained an Oni is, the more super human they can seem from a human perspective.

Homeworld: Musashi

Location Of Note: Laihiala

Beliefs And Culture: Isolationists by nature, the Oni prefer to stay out of the greater world outside their sphere. Outside of a few, select individuals, only those going on Walkabout as their right of passage to decide if they'll continue living within Oni society or abandon it for the outside leave their hidden places of safety.

Young Oni are only considered legitimate to start their Walkabout after reaching the Earth equivalent of 100 years of age. On top of this, their shifu must give their blessing for it to be approved.

Depending on clan, Oni opinions on monogamy, polyamory, and polygamy can differ greatly. However, no matter the views on size of a family, all currently existing clans mandate consent - part of the Maneater Wars was the extermination of clans that did not, albeit at the cost of countless lives, technologies, and knowledge forever lost to the void.

Seeing all beings as having a place in the universe, the Oni clans are willing to adopt into them members of other species who are judged as being able to fit into both the clan in particular and the greater Oni society as a whole. These former refugees of the stars enjoy freedoms they might not have gotten under the thumb of other nations, but the Oni maintain a number of rules to ensure the safety, security, and secrecy of everyone.

They believe in the concept of soul being separate from the body and everything has one, from the smallest rock to the biggest star. On death, the soul is judged for the good and bad karma it has earned and sent onto the wheel of reincarnation. After enough trips through this process, the soul is either pure good or bad karma - first gets to ascend to a higher plane, having earned the right; second is either cast down into darkness or kept going through the cycle until it’s purified....not really settled on this yet.

They see the universe itself as a living thing and everything in it as it learning about life, those who manage to ascend and leave the cycle of reincarnation join the consciousness of the universe and those who went before in Nirvana.

History: In the distant past, the precursors of what became the species now known as the Oni crawled out of the primeval muk on their homeworld of Musashi. Over time, they evolved into the dominant species of the planet in spite of its location in such a hostile part of the galaxy and began the typical long march that every species follows.

At an unknown point, the Oni came to the attention of an off-world species. Their true name lost to time - different Oni religious cults centered around them have long debated what the 'name of the gods' was - they eventually decided to uplift a select group of Oni and transplant them to a Dyson shell, which the Oni named Laihiala, they had constructed near by. For a number of centuries, these off-worlders would regularly return and abduct Oni from both Musashi and Laihiala - at first, the developing Oni saw these as divine occurances, but eventually developed enough to recognize them as what Earth has dubbed close encounters with technological beings from another world.

Over time, the two isolated populations of Oni developed along seperate paths as the off-worlders' experiments continued. Though unknowning of it at the time, the outside galaxy had fallen into a massive war between numerous factions and the mysterious visitors finally dissappeared for good in this period - what became of them has long been a source of debate for Oni scholars.

The Oni of Laihiala were the first to achieve spaceflight - the discovery that their home was inside out compared to a normal world came as quite their surprise. Following information left behind by their mysterious benefactors, these Oni made their way back to Musashi. There, leaders from both sides recognized the other as kin and agreed to live together on both worlds.

Combining their civilizations, Musashi and Laihiala developed rapidly only to be met by a serious blow that set them back severly - the Maneater clans. As the dominant modern religion hadn't spread fully at that point, those clans which chose to live counter to its teachings about life and the soul broke from the others and tried to assert their dominance. Seeing others, even other Oni, as little more than snacks and playthings and even spread to other worlds where they also tried to put themselves as masters of the more primitive locals. On some worlds, the Maneaters were repulsed by the natives; others saw them pulled off by their rival clans. In the end, tensions rose to the max and the Oni civil war, now remembered as the Maneater Wars, kicked into full gear as the offending clans were hunted down and wiped from memories, even their names were excised from history.

In keeping with their beliefs, the captives rescued from the Maneater clans were offered the choice of either returning home or being adopted into one of the surviving clans. Of those who chose the latter, their descendants continue to give modern Oni a slightly outside perspective on things that come up. From that point on, the Oni turned inward - no longer the power they were, their sphere currently is pretty much just Musashi and Laihiala - and they allowed the belief system that had won the wars to spread and integrate. Eventually, Oni actions in the galaxy faded from memory and, if remembered at all, they became the stuff of myths and legends.

Also, just for record, if another RPer wants to make an Oni character, I'm not really against it, just would like them to chit-chat with me so we can make sure what they have in mind fits the fluff.

Looks fine to me.

Puranas
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Puranas » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:00 am

Will finish and post character then as soon as I can.

Dalria
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalria » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:09 pm

Character Description
    Name: Eingarr of Cremmal
    Species: Kiellar
    Appearance:

Strengths and Weaknesses
    Skills:
      *Business savvy and charismatic
      *Tech wiz
      *Keen understanding of sentient psyche
      *Cybernetic implant fused with advance AI
    Weaknesses:
      *Addictive personality
      *Highly arrogant and easily dislikeable
      * "Pen is mightier than the sword" mentality

Background:
    Role on Ship: Corporate Liaison
    Crimes Committed: N/A
    Personality: Eingarr, also known as Egg for short, is your atypical arrogant plutocrat. The narcissistic Kiel strives to put profit over morals, he has been known to backstab his way to the top of the food chain. Although his charm is able to mask his rampant narcissism for most of the time; earning him the title of a political savant and womanizer. He is highly calculated, Egg will not make a move if it does not benefit him.

Backstory: Born on Relenar to the highest caste; his parents were deeply rooted in the military-industrial complex and earned the titles of oligarchic family. Eingarr was a gifted child, excelling in his studies throughout his early education. Although as gifted as he was, the young Egg was ruthless, often torturing the servants and extorting his peers through elaborate schemes. At the age of fifteen, Eingarr was granted the opportunity to assist the Military Governor on an upcoming colony. A simple clerk, he quickly moved up the ranks became special advisor to the Governor at the age of seventeen.

Egg seemed to have everything between wealth and influence but there was a dark side. Eingarr often threw opulent parties and would indulge in numerous debaucheries; prostitution, gambling, recreational drugs, etc. As calculated as he was; he couldn't escape the addiction. Poised to take the role of the next Military Governor, he was hit with a scandal. Eingarr had been involved with a married woman; the wife of a high ranking military official. His family was able to cover the story up with heavy bribes but Eingarr was exiled back to Relenar.

The talented young lad would not let this hamper his career. He was offered a position at the Ja'Near Conglomerate; the company was deeply rooted in the military-industrial complex and pushed massive amounts of capital into R&D on weapons research and passive-slave implants. Eignarr was now a public relations consultant handling: lobbying, media relations, and corporate strategy. The corporation than implanted him with the most advance AI in their arsenal. The AI, given the title B.I.D. (Business Intelligence Device) became an important tool to his success, it prevented corporate espionage via telepathy while also giving him an a vast amount of knowledge via his AI partner. With his newfound position he also found himself engaged to a wealthy heiress and daughter of a powerful bureaucrat.

The quick-riser was on a fast track in Ja'Near which made him many enemies. First and foremost was his decorated military officer older brother whom shared the family's inheritance. His brother Aglan, recruited various likeminded individuals within the Command government and the Conglomerate to smear his brother and ruin his reputation. After a "string of infidelities" and accusations of incompetency and embezzlement; the Conglomerate exiled Egg. The conglomerate sent him far away from Relenar to a far-off mining colony. At the edge of the Command; as a "special corporate liaison" for the colony, Eingarr stood discredited. Eingarr was determined to maximize the output of the mining colony, in order to put him back in good favor with the Conglomerate.

Eingarr was accompanying the crew of the Defiance while they transferred their new prisoners from a far-off galaxy. This was a stroke of luck with Eingarr, who was determined to test new technology on these foreign prisoners in order to make them mindless-drones. His luck wore out; a coup staged by the prisoners shook the ship. With only four marines, Egg fled the bridge to the stasis pods. In order to survive the insurrection he "disposed" of the original inhabitant of the pod and hid himself away, hoping he'd save himself in the process.

Puranas
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Puranas » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:15 pm

Not as thrilled with quality on this as species, but here's my character's work up for application.
https://puranas-national-factbook.fando ... amato_(ViA)
Character Description

Name:
Hikari "Kari" "Xena" Shimizu, Daughter of Yamato

Species: Oni

Appearance:

Height: 5 feet 2 inches (1.5748 meters/157.48 centimeters)

Hair Color: Burnished Copper with Rose Gold highlights

Eye Color: Jade Green

Strengths and Weaknesses

Skills:
Survival skills, analytical mindset, sewing, cooking, trained in various blade and martial arts, shinobi training, doesn't judge people by appearances or stereotypes, fluent in written and spoken Kiellar language, and a dedicated learner.

Weaknesses: Loosing herself during a fight, some social niceties, can be a bit literal at times, has issues with understanding innuendo, can be overly curious, and the specificity of some of her training not always applying.

Inventory:

Personality: Usually a calm, collected individual, Hikari learned from her shifu to never act without understanding. To this end, there is very little that'll make her act on sight alone; generally, she gives each new person she meets a chance where she observes them and interacts with them before forming an opinion about them.

One of the few Oni who ranked highly in capabilities as a multitasker, Hikari always has a lot of thought processes going on as she goes about her daily life. While this has helped her in fights and staying alive in general, others can perceive her as distracted some times. Though not meant as such, there have been some who considered this as rude.

Hikari's training allows her to suppress her emotions when 'on the job'. While there are some cases where they would be of use, her shifu stressed acting logically and rationally to accomplish tasks - emotions at the wrong moment could cause a mission failure at best, a loss of the operative's life at worst. As such, Hikari enters a state of mind where she comes across as cold, logical, and calloused.

In the reverse, and part of the reason she works as a field operative for the Oni instead of living inside their sphere, Hikari can become overstimulated and lose the ability to suppress her emotions. Though not a berserker, her normal self is overwhelmed as this outpouring translates out into almost a thrill and enjoyment for a fight.

Another reason why Hikari prefers the field to living in safety is her intense wanderlust. This young Oni almost lives and breaths for the thrill of adventure - instead of sitting still, her heart is always seeking just what is around each bend in the road of her life.

Background

Role on Ship:
Chef, seamstress, Kunoichi, and bounty hunter

Crimes Committed: Not applicable (depends on who defines what as a crime)

Backstory: Born a daughter of the affluent Yamato clan - the reigning clan that historically produced the rulers of the Oni people - Hikari Shimizu, or Kari for short, grew up in the traditional styles of both her people as a whole as well as the traditions unique to her family and clan.

From a young age, the girl's sense of adventure reared its head as she was constantly escaping her minders and exploring. Though not restrained by the stereotypical tomboy or girly girl descriptions, Hikari climbed her share of trees and broke her share of bones just as often as she attended formal gatherings for friends and family.

By the time Hikari reached the traditional age of 100 Earth standard years of age and also graduated from her shifu's training, she began her walkabout into the greater galaxy outside what the Oni controlled near the core. Appalled at what she found, she petitioned upon her return for the Oni leadership to authorize more active efforts to help those outside - however, her pleas fell short as it was decided the Oni were not strong enough as a nation to risk exposing themselves. Frustrated with their lack of action and her own personality traits forcing the issue, Hikari agreed to work as a field operative tasked with both finding potential recruits to bring back to the Oni as well as serving the greater good abroad.

For the following decades, Hikari worked as a bounty hunter under the alias of Xena. Those few who met her face to face often mistook her horns for the implants used by Kiellar Command psykers, which could make her work all that much easier; though, it could just as easily hamper things. Though willing to make use of these misconceptions, the negative reactions eventually forced her to fall back into the shadows and working through intermediaries and censored video communications.

Over the years, she helped an Archellian contact with several very lucrative and successful business deals. As someone she could trade favors with after discovering her contact's nature, Hikari often brought profit the Archellian's way when she needed their help with something. In fact, a world in the Neutral Zone colonized by rogue Kiellar wanted ships to defend themselves - Hikari acted as the intermediary, but gave her Archellian contact all the credit for bringing the planet's vast mineral wealth under their control; this was her end of a deal to use her contact's personal ship to Afewag Station for an operation she was undertaking.

Unfortunately, neither expected the Gollar Confederation to have annexed the station during their transit. Also unexpected was their reaction to Hikari's horns - mistaking her for a Command psyker upon arrival, they chucked her into a brig cell. Thankfully, in respect for the profit she had brought their way, her Archellian contact kept her luggage aboard ship when they found out, ready for her retrieval when she got free.

In the meantime, Ansemenk began his assault on the Defiance in his bid to take over the former prisoner transport. Even when her cell temporarily lost power, Hikari impressed her jailors by refusing to try and escape, even helping to rescue one when debris fell ontop of him and pinned his leg. After the fighting died down - though Hikari can't prove it, she suspects her Archellian contact had a hand in things - the Gollar security officers sent word to the Defiance their resident psyker was back in the brig.

Hope I coded everything correctly.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:15 pm

Dalria wrote:[box]Character Description
    Appearance:
*snip*

Creative! Only issue with that is that the crew wasn't huge so he would have been missed. I'd suggest adding a bit about the person in the pod he killed looking a bit like him... maybe shooting them in the face to hide the exact identity and swapping clothes so that they chucked the body out the airlock assuming it was him.

Puranas wrote:Not as thrilled with quality on this as species, but here's my character's work up for application.
Character Description

Name:
Hikari "Kari" "Xena" Shimizu, Daughter of Yamato

Species: Oni

That's fine.

One question; if the Oni don't want to get involved, why are they looking for recruits?

Bingellia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Bingellia » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:25 pm

Dalria wrote:
Character Description
    Appearance:

Strengths and Weaknesses
    Skills:
      *Business savvy and charismatic
      *Tech wiz
      *Keen understanding of sentient psyche
      *Cybernetic implant fused with advance AI
    Weaknesses:
      *Addictive personality
      *Highly arrogant and easily dislikeable
      * "Pen is mightier than the sword" mentality

Background:
    Role on Ship: Corporate Liaison
    Crimes Committed: N/A
    Personality: Eingarr, also known as Egg for short, is your atypical arrogant plutocrat. The narcissistic Kiel strives to put profit over morals, he has been known to backstab his way to the top of the food chain. Although his charm is able to mask his rampant narcissism for most of the time; earning him the title of a political savant and womanizer. He is highly calculated, Egg will not make a move if it does not benefit him.

Backstory: Born on Relenar to the highest caste; his parents were deeply rooted in the military-industrial complex and earned the titles of oligarchic family. Eingarr was a gifted child, excelling in his studies throughout his early education. Although as gifted as he was, the young Egg was ruthless, often torturing the servants and extorting his peers through elaborate schemes. At the age of fifteen, Eingarr was granted the opportunity to assist the Military Governor on an upcoming colony. A simple clerk, he quickly moved up the ranks became special advisor to the Governor at the age of seventeen.

Egg seemed to have everything between wealth and influence but there was a dark side. Eingarr often threw opulent parties and would indulge in numerous debaucheries; prostitution, gambling, recreational drugs, etc. As calculated as he was; he couldn't escape the addiction. Poised to take the role of the next Military Governor, he was hit with a scandal. Eingarr had been involved with a married woman; the wife of a high ranking military official. His family was able to cover the story up with heavy bribes but Eingarr was exiled back to Relenar.

The talented young lad would not let this hamper his career. He was offered a position at the Ja'Near Conglomerate; the company was deeply rooted in the military-industrial complex and pushed massive amounts of capital into R&D on weapons research and passive-slave implants. Eignarr was now a public relations consultant handling: lobbying, media relations, and corporate strategy. The corporation than implanted him with the most advance AI in their arsenal. The AI, given the title B.I.D. (Business Intelligence Device) became an important tool to his success, it prevented corporate espionage via telepathy while also giving him an a vast amount of knowledge via his AI partner. With his newfound position he also found himself engaged to a wealthy heiress and daughter of a powerful bureaucrat.

The quick-riser was on a fast track in Ja'Near which made him many enemies. First and foremost was his decorated military officer older brother whom shared the family's inheritance. His brother Aglan, recruited various likeminded individuals within the Command government and the Conglomerate to smear his brother and ruin his reputation. After a "string of infidelities" and accusations of incompetency and embezzlement; the Conglomerate exiled Egg. The conglomerate sent him far away from Relenar to a far-off mining colony. At the edge of the Command; as a "special corporate liaison" for the colony, Eingarr stood discredited. Eingarr was determined to maximize the output of the mining colony, in order to put him back in good favor with the Conglomerate.

Eingarr was accompanying the crew of the Defiance while they transferred their new prisoners from a far-off galaxy. This was a stroke of luck with Eingarr, who was determined to test new technology on these foreign prisoners in order to make them mindless-drones. His luck wore out; a coup staged by the prisoners shook the ship. With only four marines, Egg fled the bridge to the stasis pods. In order to survive the insurrection he "disposed" of the original inhabitant of the pod and hid himself away, hoping he'd save himself in the process.

Interesting concept. I wonder if it will get awkward since he seems like the kind of name that Mihal just might know. A lot of parallels there too, although it sounds like Mihal wouldn't be that fond of him, especially if Mihal knows what Ja'Near was doing.
You can call me Bing for short.
When in Rome, write a Roman.
Puns are the highest form of humor.
Best NS Bureaucrat 2020

Puranas
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Puranas » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:21 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:
Puranas wrote:Not as thrilled with quality on this as species, but here's my character's work up for application.

That's fine.

One question; if the Oni don't want to get involved, why are they looking for recruits?

Recruits? You referring to that Discord group think about her role on the ship? If yes, that idea was more about the possibility of them being willing to take in people who don't want to be in the middle when the two big nations eventually clash and/or want a fresh start after suffering in the Zone.

Sure, can see them taking in refugees after vetting them, and there has been some back and forth on Oni maturing slower and recovering their numbers after the civil war isn't keeping up with demand for hands to fill jobs...or something like that.

Was more fluff to give them something that may or may not be expanded upon depending on how story flows.
Last edited by Puranas on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:30 pm

Puranas wrote:
Dyelli Beybi wrote:
That's fine.

Recruits? You referring to that Discord group think about her role on the ship? If yes, that idea was more about the possibility of them being willing to take in people who don't want to be in the middle when the two big nations eventually clash and/or want a fresh start after suffering in the Zone.

Sure, can see them taking in refugees after vetting them, and there has been some back and forth on Oni maturing slower and recovering their numbers after the civil war isn't keeping up with demand for hands to fill jobs...or something like that.

Was more fluff to give them something that may or may not be expanded upon depending on how story flows.

I'm referring to the sentence in your app 'Hikari agreed to work as a field operative tasked with both finding potential recruits to bring back to the Oni as well as serving the greater good abroad.' What does that mean?
Last edited by Dyelli Beybi on Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puranas
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Puranas » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:16 pm

Lol, forgot I had worded it like that. Original meaning was fluff to or not to expand on later, but it's as I said in my last post - Oni operatives are the first line any immigrants would have to go through.

If you would like, I can try to edit the text into something worded better.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:33 am

This looks like a fun game, would you mind if I joined? It looks like it'll stick around, since it's lasted beyond its first dozen pages, lol.

I thought of apping as an itinerant chef of a species of my making called the meromites, who are shorter-than-human felines with extrasensory fur and generally part of a cartel of megacorps, with commerce being almost second nature to the species.

Or as a mechanic of another species called the huvizaan, which are a symbiotic pair of large semi-aquatic mammals and a fungal species run by a geronto-technocracy and a very rational/scientific outlook on the universe.
Last edited by Holy Lykos on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Go right ahead! Feel free to join the discord if you want to bounce ideas around.

Also I know I need to update the front page. It will be done soon. I'd held of for av bit as I was planning on doing it at the end of the arc which has gone on a bit longer than planned.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:39 pm

For now, just a species. I'll work on the character when I'm less tired!

Species Description
    Name: The Meromites
    Singular: A single Merom
    Plural: A business of Meromites
    Adjective: A meromite Megacorp
    Appearance: They are about as diverse visually as a species can be. Numerous 'breeds' based off regional variations and occasional selective breeding, but most of them range from 2.5- 3.5 feet (with some breeds being taller or shorter). Their eyes can be nearly any color, but range to darker colors. Fur can be short, long, fluffy, flat, any texture. Coloration can be almost any color as well, even ones rarely seen in other species. Patterns are highly diverse as well, but tend to follow certain norms unless they're a crossbreed(as opposed to a purebreed of a certain lineage)

Biology: A diminutive (2.5 - 3.5 ft/1 meter on average) feline species with a knack for trade, charisma, and quick wits. Rarely sedentary, they are constantly in motion or otherwise occupied. They're dedicated, inquisitive, and ambitious.

They have an odd little quirk of biology as well that gave them an extremely sensitive set of whiskers with a sixth sense, allowing them to detect even the smallest changes in environment or smallest differences in the quality of items. They almost act more like antennae than true mammalian whiskers. However, most other species find it rather odd they rub their face on just about everything.

They also happen to be strong as hell, with even a fairly out of shape Merom able to pick up most full grown humans. A properly trained Merom could easily lift something almost four times their body weight (For reference, that is usually between 45-65 lbs/20-30 kg.

Background:
    Homeworld: Yitalix
    History: Yitalix is an old Oasis world in the neutral zone of Andromeda, strategically placed between areas of space that are naturally difficult to cross. They essentially are at a stellar crossroads and isthmus. The center piece of a trail of stars between two of the arms of Andromeda, a stellar Oasis. Their ruling body, Merom-Cur'Hussel United megacorp, has long taken advantage of this fact. But that's modern history, and thus getting ahead of ourselves.

Yitalix was always a hostile planet. With very little surface water or fertile soil, the meromites would trade early and often. Many of their number would remain nomadic throughout the seasons they had, keeping trade routes active even across mountain ranges and what oceans the planet does have. Their technology developed eclectically, with the merom becoming masters of bivouacking, rapid settlement construction, and keeping areas contained and sealed to avoid weather and sandstorms. Their cities are more like dens and warrens than a metropolis on an earth-like planet.

The meromites are rather unique in the galaxy in that they as a species never had the concept of nationalism as most other species do. Instead, a rare thing happened: The development of economic enterprise and brand loyalty came first, and soon enough most of the early industrial states transitioned into corporate authorities rather than nationalistic ones. Over time, these would be bought out or merge, until the Cur'Hussel dynasty would guide their megacorp to own a controlling share of the planet's surface. They gave an ultimatum to the remaining corpornations and megacorps: Join the Merould Cur'Hussel and become subidiaries or face bankruptcy and irrelevance.

They obviously chose the former.

Merould Cur'Hussel rebranded shortly after, calling themselves the Merom-Cur'Hussel United. Within a few decades, spaceflight became a common thing. Their position lent them to continuing a trading power, and they would build space stations and colonies to extend this trade influence. They have little interest in warfare, and have always preferred meet new peoples to sell them things!
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:33 pm

And the followup character!

Character Description
    Name: Khana Skrolin (IPA: /kʰɦɔ-nə skro-lɪn/ )
    Species: Meromite
    Appearance:
    https://i.redd.it/xolt8ri90d611.jpg
    Similar to such, with the same fur pattern, but an eyepatch over the left eye, pale blue eyes, and a bit of fat to his frame, especially belly. Basically, he's got the strongman bodytype, and rarely isn't grinning.

Strengths and Weaknesses
    Skills: Raw physical strength(He's either cooking or training), gourmet chef(specializes in Merom styles which tend to punchy, strong flavors, spices, heat, and hearty portions, but seems to know how to cook with just about anything), expert with knife skills and the dexterity to match such training. He's got some of the cultural prowess of a merom when it comes to negotiation and business through his proximity to it, but not as much as average.
    Weaknesses: He's not the best gambler, nor does he (ironically) have the best business sense, He's lead by his heart rather than logic or rationality. He's also a bit partial to intoxicants when he enjoys his meals.

Background:
    Role on Ship: At this stage that is (former) prisoner, future Head Chef
    Crimes Committed: Assault, Breaking and entering, theft, trespassing, reneging on debts and fleeing the law, sundry offenses involving use of certain ingredients or methods used to obtain said ingredients.
    Personality: Foolhardy, often overeager, boisterous, friendly, and always eager to try something new, Khana is a proud merom and a proud chef, though his senses have long turned towards foods, spices, and exotic flavors rather than profit and money like most of his people. He's a bit of an outlier in their culture, and prefers the company of other species as a result.
    Backstory: A good portion of Khana's life he's surprisingly reluctant to share, beyond the broad strokes or occasional anecdotes. From telling to telling, details change even. What's most consistent is this following: He's always loved food and cooking

Khana's been exploring the galaxy for a good time now, but like most meromites was born on one of their many trading space stations. His home was the Verit station, on the very border of merom-owned space. Though raised very similar to most merom, with economics and diplomacy at the core of their education, Khana would find himself drawn to other subjects.

For him, taste, flavors, and foods would always hold much more interest. From a young age he had relished the chances to try any new foods he could get his hands on. If someone wouldn't make it for him, he would make it himself. He'd find a job to help buy ingredients and tools to aid his cooking, and relished every chance he got to try new food. His indulgent cooking and eating did tend to be rather fattening, however, so he began to learn about keeping himself in shape and strong. He's never fully lost his gut, but he's surprisingly strong for someone both so small and on the robust side. He never really has mentioned where his parents were through this period of his life, but he doesn't speak of them too fondly. He would leave Verit for good as soon as he could.

Khana would enroll within one of the few Meromite culinary academies, hosted on its own space station near to Ytalix. The name of the institution changes on each telling, which seems an odd detail to keep obscured. He's never even mentioned a graduation, yet claims to be certified in numerous methods and styles of cooking. Actually, usually whatever is relevant for the situation!

Once he left the Academy, he went wandering and never settled in one place for long again. Either from legal incidents or seeking out rumors of foods and ingredients, Khana would remain an itinerant chef for the rest of his days. He traveled from planet to planet, culture to culture, learning along the way.

Until, of course, he managed to land himself on the Andromeda through an interesting story involving a wok, butter, spices, oil, some extremely endangered fish, and a burned set of officers. Maybe he'll tell it someday!
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:33 pm

KHaqna and the Meromite races are both accepted.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Nice, but quite the typo lmao. How would I get into the game?
Last edited by Holy Lykos on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:58 pm

I wasn't even using a phone...

Your stasis pod malfunctions and opens up. It will drop you half way into a conversation about what happened on the ship.
Last edited by Dyelli Beybi on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:12 pm

I'm interested.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:06 pm

Grenartia wrote:I'm interested.

Well hello there!
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse