NATION

PASSWORD

Iris - A Parahumans RP (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Okayanos » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Trigger event itself is fine, but it still leans towards some kind of Trump element being present in her power.

In addition, it’s heavily reliant on Capes that don’t exist in the currently assembled roster- an exploding flier, someone with wind blades, etc. Either use the capes that actually exist, or move the location of her trigger event somewhere else so that it makes sense to have different heroes and villains.
Last edited by Okayanos on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:31 pm

Okayanos wrote:Trigger event itself is fine, but it still leans towards some kind of Trump element being present in her power.

In addition, it’s heavily reliant on Capes that don’t exist in the currently assembled roster- an exploding flier, someone with wind blades, etc. Either use the capes that actually exist, or move the location of her trigger event somewhere else so that it makes sense to have different heroes and villains.

Do you have a suggestion or recommendation as to not having any kind of Trump elements in it? I tried to shape this around a blaster, and not canceling anyone's powers, but just defending against them.

I'll move her elsewhere and then move her here.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:42 pm

Talchyon wrote:Do you have a suggestion or recommendation as to not having any kind of Trump elements in it? I tried to shape this around a blaster, and not canceling anyone's powers, but just defending against them.

I'll move her elsewhere and then move her here.

Perhaps she finds herself in the middle of a gang fight with guns, she gets scared and triggers from that stress. It has the ambient area based danger of a Shaker, the long ranged, varied threat of a Blaster, maybe a slight Brute element if she gets hurt but she can use blood to create scabs on wounds to heal them. At the very least this has no powers involved.

Would that work?
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:43 pm

Hey, do the Wards have an adult leader/supervisor/babysitter? Because I have an idea for a second character (A former high school teacher with portal powers) who could fit well in that role.
Signatures are so 2014.

Axis Asteroid
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Asteroid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Utceforp wrote:Hey, do the Wards have an adult leader/supervisor/babysitter? Because I have an idea for a second character (A former high school teacher with portal powers) who could fit well in that role.

Since the Wards themselves are minors, they fall under the authority of the adult capes in the local Protectorate, who are in turn led by the cape with the most experience and seniority as the overall head of the branch, such as Armsmaster in the case of Brockton Bay by the start of Worm. When a ward reaches the age of majority, they are "promoted" so to speak to the Protectorate, but they start out from the place as any new trigger who joins the PRT as an adult. Keep in mind a cape has to first establish themselves and rack up a good record in service of the PRT before even getting considered to lead the Protectorate team if that's what you were thinking for your character.
National Factbook: History, Economy, Military etc.
(Significantly inspired by Zeon from Gundam.)

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Big Chungus is currently the most experienced hero in the Protectorate, so the responsibility would fall to him.

That said, a portal-hopping Protectorate member is more than welcome- it’d add some much-needed mobility to the team, which currently only really has Vulture in terms of Movers.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:56 pm

Okayanos wrote:Big Chungus is currently the most experienced hero in the Protectorate, so the responsibility would fall to him.

That said, a portal-hopping Protectorate member is more than welcome- it’d add some much-needed mobility to the team, which currently only really has Vulture in terms of Movers.

Well, and Call who slings her hubby across town

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:18 pm

Okayanos wrote:Big Chungus is currently the most experienced hero in the Protectorate, so the responsibility would fall to him.

Gotcha. I think she'd be a Gate Mover/Shaker (Since she has a range limit on her portals and they can be used offensively as blades.) Now to figure out a trigger event that somehow combines "a problem that is often institutional, abstract, and longer-term" with "environmental or ambient danger, often non-human or only abstractly human."
Signatures are so 2014.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Utceforp wrote:

Gotcha. I think she'd be a Gate Mover/Shaker (Since she has a range limit on her portals and they can be used offensively as blades.) Now to figure out a trigger event that somehow combines "a problem that is often institutional, abstract, and longer-term" with "environmental or ambient danger, often non-human or only abstractly human."

Paperwork. Lots of paperwork.

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:19 pm

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=461479

I'm not completely lazy after all. IC's starting up.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:18 am

Almost done, just need to finish writing her trigger event.

Character App

Name: Jane Bouchard
Alias: Janus
Alignment: Hero
Jane is black, has short straight cropped hair, is about 5'3, and has the build of a gymnast. She likes to wear scarves, long cardigans, and jeans.

Jane's costume consists of a skintight black material, with rectangular metallic green armour plating on her chest, back, shoulders, forearms, waist, and shins. She wears a helmet the same colour as her body armour, which is designed to resemble two highly abstract human faces - one on the front of her head, and another on the back. She has a black symbol resembling a Rubin vase on the armour on her chest.

BACKGROUND

Nationality: American
Hometown: Portland, Oregon

Personality: Reasonably friendly, and unusually well-adjusted for a Cape. Feels compelled to help other people solve their problems to an extent that can be annoying and patronizing. Somewhat protective of the Wards, and children/teenagers in general. Bookish, and considers herself an intellectual. Not as mature as she pretends to be.

Trigger Event: Jane was a high school history teacher for two years prior to her Trigger Event. During the winter, on a school trip, she was on a school bus with many of her students when a tanker truck going the other way hit a patch of black ice and careened into the side of the bus.

Power: Mover/Shaker 7 (Thinker 1)

Janus can create and maintain connected pairs of two-dimensional rectangular portals (identifiable by their glowing green edges) within a 40 meter radius of herself. She needs to be able to see the two portals when she creates them, but does not need to maintain line of sight to maintain them. Janus's portals are one-sided - the "back" of one of her portals appears as a solid green rectangle that can be freely traversed without being transported. She can freely alter the location and dimensions of her portals, (although two connected portals must remain the same size, obviously.) but the amount of concentration she needs to keep a single pair of portals open is exponentially proportional to the surface area of those portals.

Janus's power also has direct offensive applications, as the edges of her portals can be used as infinitely thin blades. However, due to the Manton effect, her portals cannot be used to cut through living beings. Instead, the edges simply warp around them. She can restrain her opponents if she can get them halfway through one of her portals and then shrinks the portal as much as she possibly can.

Janus received her low Thinker rating when she figured out how to use small pairs of portals as "surveillance drones", moving one half of them around an abandoned warehouse where she knew a villain was hiding, while keeping the other half near her so she could see through them.

Weaknesses: Janus does not have the ability to multitask or coordinate any more effectively than the average person, and if she is distracted, some or all of her portal pairs will immediately collapse. This puts a soft limit on the number of portals she can have active or be moving around at the same time.

Janus is still somewhat adverse to violence, and hesitates to use her power's more aggressive applications.

Equipment and weapons: A first aid kit and a burner phone (Both stored on her costume's belt.)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Skills: Has received basic hand-to-hand combat training, background in education
Connections: Member of the Portland Protectorate
Goals: Protect Portland from whatever parahuman threats menace it
Theme Song: At your suggestion.
Last edited by Utceforp on Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are so 2014.

The Empire of Tau
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2016

Postby The Empire of Tau » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:06 am

Seems like a nice rp. I'll get a app up soon.

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:20 am

Hmm, still constructing my app. Having a difficult time deciding whether to be a villain or a hero.
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:24 am

Cappuccina wrote:Hmm, still constructing my app. Having a difficult time deciding whether to be a villain or a hero.

Could go for both and be a former villain turned probationary Ward.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:05 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
Cappuccina wrote:Hmm, still constructing my app. Having a difficult time deciding whether to be a villain or a hero.

Could go for both and be a former villain turned probationary Ward.

Maybe, that'd be interesting.
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:14 am

OP -

I think my app is completed. I moved Danielle's backstory to Cincinnatti and had her move to Portland. I also left the trigger event involving a super-powered battle as is, even though I am not intending to have any Trump powers for Danielle at all. I just couldn't come up with a better fit for her ability and I hope you will be understanding about it, since it's not going to affect the story or Danielle's abilities at all.

-Talc
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Crimson is accepted.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:16 am

Okayanos wrote:Crimson is accepted.

Question: Is the current IC fight something that the Wards have been permitted to fight at? I didn't know if that had been asked.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:18 am

That IRL thing I mentioned I was busy with? I'm still busy with it, and probably will be for the next day or two. Sorry about that.
Signatures are so 2014.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:48 am

Talchyon wrote:
Okayanos wrote:Crimson is accepted.

Question: Is the current IC fight something that the Wards have been permitted to fight at? I didn't know if that had been asked.

I assume so, Stinkbug is there, and our OP hasn't said anything

The Krogan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Krogan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Did parahumans exist before 1982 and only came into public knowledge after the golden duded in the sky showed up?
The perpetual lurker of NS, trudging through the desolate winter.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:29 pm

The Krogan wrote:Did parahumans exist before 1982 and only came into public knowledge after the golden duded in the sky showed up?

No, as far as anyone knows, he was either the first parahuman, or as some theorize even the progenitor of all parahumans in some unknown way. So all trigger events happened after that date.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:14 am

The Golden Man was the first Parahuman. No one had a trigger event before his arrival.

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:16 am

Okayanos wrote:The Golden Man was the first Parahuman. No one had a trigger event before his arrival.

Are his powers the same as Scion/Zion's?
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:53 pm

Auphelia wrote:
Okayanos wrote:The Golden Man was the first Parahuman. No one had a trigger event before his arrival.

Are his powers the same as Scion/Zion's?

Many things about him are the same as Scion/Zion
Last edited by Okayanos on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse