NATION

PASSWORD

Iris - A Parahumans RP (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Axis Asteroid
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Asteroid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:49 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Utceforp wrote:Perhaps changing her hero name, or carrying vials of blood with her so she doesn't have to rely on wounds?

Alternatively, if she stubbornly refuses to make herself more broadly-likeable, and chafes against PRT authority, that could be an interesting dynamic.

Vials of blood or blood bags would probably be mandatory for a Ward, since the PRT has a Youth Guard that acts to protect children from being abused, and I'm fairly sure self harm for power use would fall under that. An older hero not in the Wards program can get away with a lot more in terms of image and power use. As far as names go, yeah, choosing something that doesn't directly say "blood" is probably a good idea. Synonyms and double entendres help a lot with that. That said, it wouldn't even be the edgiest name someone has had, and there are ways to get around the censor.

I don't think the PRT cares all that much about dangerous powers tbh. Don' forget their PR managed to sell to the public that Pretender
who is a literal body snatcher
was a good guy. They're mainly concerned with regulating cape names and costume designs in terms of friendly PR, but they're pretty much willing to take in any able-bodied cape they can, especially if they find the power useful considering 1) villains outnumber Protectorate capes by significant margins in almost every major city 2) Any dangerous cape not in the Birdcage is another body to throw at the Endbringers. Granted, the latter is true for villains too, but in their case it's voluntary. Protectorate capes, save for Wards, are mandated to fight the giant scary Kaiju whenever possible if I recall.

Also, the PRT usually assigns names and costumes to fit certain themes, with capes having "darker" or "edgier" powers wearing darker costumes and more intimidating names such as "Shadow Stalker" or even Alexandria, whose dark flowing cape and visor paints her as a "dark avenger" type in contrast to Legend, whose bright and multi-colored lasers (while very lethal) allowed him to wear a more open and colorful costume for PR purposes.
Last edited by Axis Asteroid on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
National Factbook: History, Economy, Military etc.
(Significantly inspired by Zeon from Gundam.)

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Axis Asteroid wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Vials of blood or blood bags would probably be mandatory for a Ward, since the PRT has a Youth Guard that acts to protect children from being abused, and I'm fairly sure self harm for power use would fall under that. An older hero not in the Wards program can get away with a lot more in terms of image and power use. As far as names go, yeah, choosing something that doesn't directly say "blood" is probably a good idea. Synonyms and double entendres help a lot with that. That said, it wouldn't even be the edgiest name someone has had, and there are ways to get around the censor.

I don't think the PR cares all that much about dangerous powers tbh. Don' forget their PR managed to sell the public that Pretender
who is a literal body snatcher
was a good guy. They're mainly concerned with regulating cape names and costume designs in terms of friendly PR, but they're pretty much willing to take in any able-bodied cape they can, especially if they find the power useful considering 1) villains outnumber Protectorate capes by significant margins in almost every major city 2) Any dangerous cape not in the Birdcage is another body to throw at the Endbringers. Granted, the latter is true for villains too, but in their case it's voluntary. Protectorate capes, save for Wards, are mandated to fight the giant scary Kaiju whenever possible if I recall.

Also, the PRT usually assigns names and costumes to fit certain themes, with capes having "darker" or "edgier" powers wearing darker costumes and more intimidating names such as "Shadow Stalker" or even Alexandria, whose dark flowing cape and visor paints her as a "dark avenger" type in contrast to Legend, whose bright and multi-colored lasers (while very lethal) allowed him to wear a more open and colorful costume for PR purposes.

Yeah but there is no visible squick to Pretender's power, in comparison to what is seen with a particularly well-known disgusting-powered-hero, who is explicitly told to use less-scary looking approaches, though that was in the context of her past. I do 100% agree they will take anyone, and I think we're on the same page as far as their focus being regulating how the power is seen by the public. As far as the names, I'm fairly sure SS chose her own name and was called that before being forced to join the Wards. Alexandria was an adult, and her edginess was a tactical decision on her part, as you said, to contrast with the brighter Legend and more mysterious Eidolon. But the rules applied to second-chancers and experienced, early-joining capes wouldn't necessarily be the rules applied to a recruit, which was more what I was trying to get across. Just food for thought to help him construct a character around the power.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Utceforp wrote:Perhaps changing her hero name, or carrying vials of blood with her so she doesn't have to rely on wounds?

Alternatively, if she stubbornly refuses to make herself more broadly-likeable, and chafes against PRT authority, that could be an interesting dynamic.

Vials of blood or blood bags would probably be mandatory for a Ward, since the PRT has a Youth Guard that acts to protect children from being abused, and I'm fairly sure self harm for power use would fall under that. An older hero not in the Wards program can get away with a lot more in terms of image and power use. As far as names go, yeah, choosing something that doesn't directly say "blood" is probably a good idea. Synonyms and double entendres help a lot with that. That said, it wouldn't even be the edgiest name someone has had, and there are ways to get around the censor.

This is exactly the kind of dynamic I was shooting for, with this kind of power and as a Ward. I like the idea of portable blood vials instead of self-injury which is what I was planning. Shades of Nico Minoru from Marvel.

I may need to change her alias name because "Bloodweb" sounds villainous, and not necessarily one that would give good PR. But I'm kind of stuck on what a good alternative would be, and Weaver is already taken...

And I can just imagine what kind of introductory press conference this character would have as a Ward. Probably the kind they wouldn't spend much time on her and would go to someone else more PR friendly.
Last edited by Talchyon on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Maybe play off of spiders for the web connection? Sanguinid, Hemmorachnid, etc, or go for a red color theme. Red Web, Red Widow, etc. That would be considered a little kitschy though. [Adjective] [Animal] is a naming trope in universe.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:21 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:Maybe play off of spiders for the web connection? Sanguinid, Hemmorachnid, etc, or go for a red color theme. Red Web, Red Widow, etc. That would be considered a little kitschy though. [Adjective] [Animal] is a naming trope in universe.

Good ideas. Maybe Scarlet Widow... Though Danielle doesn't necessarily like the idea that guys might confuse her dating status and eligibility...

My trigger event is up. Comments on it are welcomed.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Talchyon wrote:Good ideas. Maybe Scarlet Widow... Though Danielle doesn't necessarily like the idea that guys might confuse her dating status and eligibility...

It seems like something like that might lead to more of a Trump/Brute (Shaker) type classification, or at least something Trump-ish.

Perhaps when her webs harden they become tough, like scabs covering her, making her durable if she covers herself in them?

I can't think of any Trump effects that aren't overpowered right now, though.
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Okayanos » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Tinker-bred giant spiders are removed enough from powers that a Trump element is possible, but not guaranteed.

The larger concern is where said spiders came from. Additionally, the trigger is the kind that would produce a power that’s primarily Brute or Striker in classification, not Shaker or Blaster like what’s currently in the app.
Last edited by Okayanos on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Okayanos wrote:Tinker-bred giant spiders are removed enough from powers that a Trump element is possible, but not guaranteed.

Were they Tinker bred?

I was under the impression that the boy next door had just triggered and was some sort of Master. "That day, however, the tree service team ran into an unexpected situation. A young man the next door to where they were working was having the worst day of a horrific life. And he was triggering..." led me to believe he summoned the spiders somehow, but likely couldn't control them.
Last edited by Auphelia on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

SC #307

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Auphelia wrote:
Okayanos wrote:Tinker-bred giant spiders are removed enough from powers that a Trump element is possible, but not guaranteed.

Were they Tinker bred?

I was under the impression that the boy next door had just triggered and was some sort of Master.

I hoped that Talc had seen the roster and noticed our resident bio-tinker, Hypermania. I could be wrong.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Okayanos wrote:I hoped that Talc had seen the roster and noticed our resident bio-tinker, Hypermania. I could be wrong.

That would make sense, but then I don't understand that line about a boy next door triggering.

Regardless, would the spider thing cause a Brute? I thought so, with likely the Shaker twist, and some Trump undertones.

If she had a Skitter-type rapid fire double trigger, it might involve a Mover element to help make sure she doesn't get caught in her own webs.

SC #307

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:02 pm

Auphelia wrote:
Okayanos wrote:I hoped that Talc had seen the roster and noticed our resident bio-tinker, Hypermania. I could be wrong.

That would make sense, but then I don't understand that line about a boy next door triggering.

Regardless, would the spider thing cause a Brute? I thought so, with likely the Shaker twist, and some Trump undertones.

If she had a Skitter-type rapid fire double trigger, it might involve a Mover element to help make sure she doesn't get caught in her own webs.

Could the counter to super-strength via the strength of the webbing be a Trump element?

@}-;-'---

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:Could the counter to super-strength via the strength of the webbing be a Trump element?

I think I see the logic, but I don't think that counts. Continuing with that, any durable construct is a Trump element because it prevents super strength or other damaging powers from working properly.

Perhaps the blood has a way of making powers not work? Master projections and creations disappear/lose their power (insects from Skitter's swarms would lose their connection to her on touch/The Siberian would flicker out/Felix Swoop's birds would simply burn to death), super strength would simply not work on it, etc. Basically, if the webbing touches something their power doesn't work/is weakened.

Then again, that could easily become over powered, which is the problem with Trump abilities in particular.

SC #307

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:15 pm

For now, the trigger doesn’t quite match the nature of the power as it’s described in the app. That's gonna have to be fixed.
Last edited by Okayanos on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Auphelia wrote:
Talchyon wrote:Good ideas. Maybe Scarlet Widow... Though Danielle doesn't necessarily like the idea that guys might confuse her dating status and eligibility...

It seems like something like that might lead to more of a Trump/Brute (Shaker) type classification, or at least something Trump-ish.

Perhaps when her webs harden they become tough, like scabs covering her, making her durable if she covers herself in them?

I can't think of any Trump effects that aren't overpowered right now, though.

Maybe if she uses the blood of other parahumans, that blood has some sort of unique effect related to the parahuman's power? I can't think of anything specific, though.
Signatures are so 2014.

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:28 pm

I'll be posting my app tommorrow, btw. I've had some time to think over how I want to do my character's ability. :)
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:35 am

Okayanos wrote:For now, the trigger doesn’t quite match the nature of the power as it’s described in the app. That's gonna have to be fixed.

That's fine. I was trying to come up with an area affect that could produce a Shaker. What would be a better area affect then? Multiple spiders everywhere? (Did Skitter / Weaver make a surprise guest appearance in Portland? No? Didn't think so. Note - lame attempt at humor font lets you know, well, what was intended.) But I'm open to any ideas.

As for the boy having another trigger, that's fine. I can get rid of him. Maybe have some other kind of villain who controls spiders, whether he be tinker or master is fine with me. Something that would enable both bleeding, webbing and an area affect that's not human.

Auphelia wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Could the counter to super-strength via the strength of the webbing be a Trump element?

I think I see the logic, but I don't think that counts. Continuing with that, any durable construct is a Trump element because it prevents super strength or other damaging powers from working properly.

Perhaps the blood has a way of making powers not work? Master projections and creations disappear/lose their power (insects from Skitter's swarms would lose their connection to her on touch/The Siberian would flicker out/Felix Swoop's birds would simply burn to death), super strength would simply not work on it, etc. Basically, if the webbing touches something their power doesn't work/is weakened.

Then again, that could easily become over powered, which is the problem with Trump abilities in particular.

That's quite beyond what I was thinking. I just want webs made of blood. Nothing that saps powers.

Edit - I took out the boy triggering in the app. Now, the giant spiders show up, but I have no reason why. Maybe they're tech. But I am still wanting her to be a shaker... I'm also not done with it. I know there's more to do. This is just a start. Suggestions are welcome, especially from the OP or Co-OPs.
Last edited by Talchyon on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:56 am

Talchyon wrote:That's quite beyond what I was thinking. I just want webs made of blood. Nothing that saps powers.

Edit - I took out the boy triggering in the app. Now, the giant spiders show up, but I have no reason why. Maybe they're tech. But I am still wanting her to be a shaker... I'm also not done with it. I know there's more to do. This is just a start. Suggestions are welcome, especially from the OP or Co-OPs.

Well, I'm not an OP or Co-OP, but I do have a suggestion. Perhaps a Shatterbird type comes to town with whatever approximation of the S9 this universe has, your character gets really scraped up as the sand and glass are shredding everything, and suddenly she's encased the area around her in that special blood, safe from harm?

SC #307

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:50 am

Auphelia wrote:
Talchyon wrote:That's quite beyond what I was thinking. I just want webs made of blood. Nothing that saps powers.

Well, I'm not an OP or Co-OP, but I do have a suggestion. Perhaps a Shatterbird type comes to town with whatever approximation of the S9 this universe has, your character gets really scraped up as the sand and glass are shredding everything, and suddenly she's encased the area around her in that special blood, safe from harm?

Or a non-Manton limited Shaker haemokinetic, and your char's a bud from them?
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 am

Talchyon wrote:
Okayanos wrote:For now, the trigger doesn’t quite match the nature of the power as it’s described in the app. That's gonna have to be fixed.

That's fine. I was trying to come up with an area affect that could produce a Shaker. What would be a better area affect then? Multiple spiders everywhere? (Did Skitter / Weaver make a surprise guest appearance in Portland? No? Didn't think so. Note - lame attempt at humor font lets you know, well, what was intended.) But I'm open to any ideas.

As for the boy having another trigger, that's fine. I can get rid of him. Maybe have some other kind of villain who controls spiders, whether he be tinker or master is fine with me. Something that would enable both bleeding, webbing and an area affect that's not human.

Auphelia wrote:

That's quite beyond what I was thinking. I just want webs made of blood. Nothing that saps powers.

Could you do something with ordinary spiders? Maybe she gets bit by one and contracts a bloodborn disease or is poisoned by it. Not sure how to make spiders into an "ambient danger" though.
Signatures are so 2014.

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:08 am

Blood webs aren’t really a Shaker power, they’d fit more under a Blaster classification.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:15 am

Okayanos wrote:Blood webs aren’t really a Shaker power, they’d fit more under a Blaster classification.

But they harden, right, changing the landscape of the area?

SC #307

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 am

Auphelia wrote:
Okayanos wrote:Blood webs aren’t really a Shaker power, they’d fit more under a Blaster classification.

But they harden, right, changing the landscape of the area?

Blaster/Shaker is a thing. A common enough thing that it used to be it’s own classification until the PRT changed it.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:42 am

That's fine. I didn't know how to classify it. I can try to make a blaster trigger now.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:47 am

Okayanos wrote:Blaster/Shaker is a thing. A common enough thing that it used to be it’s own classification until the PRT changed it.

Oh, I know that, I just thought you meant it would only be blaster. I think if it was more a Spiderman type web it would be.

Nuker is a fun name. Perhaps for a tinker who specialises in microwaves?

SC #307

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Ok, I updated Danielle's trigger. OP, can I get feedback please? Thanks.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse