NATION

PASSWORD

Iris - A Parahumans RP (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:43 pm

Okay, third character idea time. (I'm worried the cuttlefish-hitman might be somewhat underpowered.)

I've had a "depressed pyromancer" character concept kicking around in my head for years now, and I've been biding my time, waiting for an RP where the character would fit well. That character also happens to be an Iranian-American. (Mostly to facilitate a pun in his name.) Jade, would it be okay with you if I made a character who is a member of the Brookland St. Gang?
Signatures are so 2014.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Okay, so two fun character ideas, though I only wanna do one:
1. A character whose power is to make 100% binding contracts/agreements that can do stuff that your regular old boring legal contract can’t do, such as transferring powers, trading body parts & voices, access to someone’s thoughts. All sorts of stuff is possible, so long as matter(and superpowers) are neither created nor destroyed, and so long as all affected persons AND my character sign off on the terms. People may be tricked, coerced, or convinced to agree to the terms of a contract, but may not be directly forced to sign, and people may not sign in anyone else’s name.
2. A character who radiates emotions outward, with a physical form based on their dominant feelings, making it easy to tell which emotion they’ll radiate by default. They may control the emotion and intensity of said emotion that they radiate when they are in a fully emotionally stable & controlled state, with their ability to control it wavering as they enter more emotionally intense states.
I’m leaning towards the first, but I’m just checking to make sure the ability works within the universe. The latter power I think works fine, but I’m throwing it around to make sure the whole thing reads as a single power.
Last edited by Khasinkonia on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2018

Postby Okayanos » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:53 pm

Utceforp wrote:Okay, third character idea time. (I'm worried the cuttlefish-hitman might be somewhat underpowered.)

I've had a "depressed pyromancer" character concept kicking around in my head for years now, and I've been biding my time, waiting for an RP where the character would fit well. That character also happens to be an Iranian-American. (Mostly to facilitate a pun in his name.) Jade, would it be okay with you if I made a character who is a member of the Brookland St. Gang?

Pyros are fun, but a Cuttlefish man is far from weak. Part of the fun of Worm is taking powers that seem weak and finding ways to make them useful. A cuttlefish guy could, for example, slip his rubbery body through small cracks to infiltrate places, or use stretched tentacle limbs to swing and climb around for a minor Mover rating. Every power is useful once you start thinking about it more.

Jade Confederacy
Minister

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jade Confederacy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Utceforp wrote:Okay, third character idea time. (I'm worried the cuttlefish-hitman might be somewhat underpowered.)

Sure, I dont mind.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:07 pm

Okayanos wrote:

Pyros are fun, but a Cuttlefish man is far from weak. Part of the fun of Worm is taking powers that seem weak and finding ways to make them useful. A cuttlefish guy could, for example, slip his rubbery body through small cracks to infiltrate places, or use stretched tentacle limbs to swing and climb around for a minor Mover rating. Every power is useful once you start thinking about it more.

Oh I've spent all day thinking of possible applications for the power I had in mind for him. (The ability to change the shape, density, texture, and colour of his entire body, possibly with a "hammerspace" of extra mass to draw on.) - Clinging to walls, disguising oneself in the environment, instantaneous armour, creating blades and claws, picking locks, dressing wounds, gliding, plucking out someone's eyes with your fingers, hanging from the ceiling above an unsuspecting enemy and using one arm to form a noose to silently hang them, etc. My personal favourite idea is interrogating someone by shoving two fingers into their nostrils and then rapidly elongating them as much as possible. My second favourite idea is generating false "clothing" using skin the colour and texture of cloth and strategically folded over itself to present the illusion of a separate garment, thus preventing clothing from inhibiting your stretching powers if you suddenly find yourself in a combat situation.

The problem is, there's many applications for this power, but I can't think of any that would get him over a 4 (or maaaybe 5) on the threat scale. Someone like Warhound or Tremor would make mincemeat of him, and thus he wouldn't really be a credible threat.
Last edited by Utceforp on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are so 2014.

Aidannadia
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aidannadia » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Would the public or some entity be aware of the full extent of a person's powers, or only those that publically manifest? Would that go into their threat classification? How bizarre or niche can we go?

With the setting, I'm not particularly familiar with Worm's world, so I suppose I'm a little confused about the nature of heroes and villains? Heroes would basically be somewhere between cops and mercenaries, while villains would range from street gangs to cultists to mercenaries as well?
Last edited by Aidannadia on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, my name is Aidan and I am still figuring out who I really am. Most of my views are some form of leftism someone could probably tell me is not leftism. I'm a guy.

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Utceforp wrote:
Okayanos wrote:

Oh I've spent all day thinking of possible applications for the power I had in mind for him. (The ability to change the shape, density, texture, and colour of his entire body, possibly with a "hammerspace" of extra mass to draw on.) - Clinging to walls, disguising oneself in the environment, instantaneous armour, creating blades and claws, picking locks, dressing wounds, gliding, plucking out someone's eyes with your fingers, hanging from the ceiling above an unsuspecting enemy and using one arm to form a noose to silently hang them, etc. My personal favourite idea is interrogating someone by shoving two fingers into their nostrils and then rapidly elongating them as much as possible. My second favourite idea is generating false "clothing" using skin the colour and texture of cloth and strategically folded over itself to present the illusion of a separate garment, thus preventing clothing from inhibiting your stretching powers if you suddenly find yourself in a combat situation.

The problem is, there's many applications for this power, but I can't think of any that would get him over a 4 (or maaaybe 5) on the threat scale. Someone like Warhound or Tremor would make mincemeat of him, and thus he wouldn't really be a credible threat.

Haze, a member of the H-bombs, has only a Striker 2 rating, and she’s still a credible threat who’s put a room full of people on the floor in record time. Don’t get hung up on the ratings, they matter very little.

Every idea you’ve said makes Cuttlefish guy more than credible- if he’s smart enough to make the right friends, he could go far in the villainy business.
Last edited by Okayanos on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axis Asteroid
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Asteroid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Aidannadia wrote:Is the true nature of their powers able to be accessed if not everything related to it would be publically available? Would that go into their threat classification? How bizarre or niche can we go?

With the setting, I'm not particularly familiar with Worm's world, so I suppose I'm a little confused about the nature of heroes and villains? Heroes would basically be somewhere between cops and mercenaries, while villains would range from street gangs to cultists to mercenaries as well?

The power rating is just a rough threat estimate by the PRT. It's not static by any means and since they don't know the true nature of a cape's power looking in from the outside, it can get regularly updated in the event the initial estimate is wrong in that they either underestimated or overestimated the threat of a cape.

Also, "Heroes" are the capes either officially under the employ of the federal government via the PRT (most of them fit this category) or those serving in independent teams, both of which ideally serve and safeguard the public. Mercenaries are usually "Rogues" and more often than not, primarily "Villains" (at least that's how the PRT rates them if they ever work together with a known villain for any reason regardless if it was a paid contract or if it was "just business").

Villains on the other hand are pretty straight forward. They can be viscous murderers or petty thieves and even click bait pranksters (like Uber and Leet). There is a lot of diverse characters that fit this category in the Wormverse, but what they all typically share in common is that they commit crimes and operate outside of both the law and the PRT.

Also, keep in mind that villains are the most common type of cape. As in most new triggers who join the game of "cops and robbers" end up becoming villains. If I recall, it was mentioned in the webnovel that villains outnumber heroes in almost every major city in America, with the gangs outnumbering the Brockton Bay PRT by a rate of three, if not four to one in both non-powered and Parahuman members. It just goes with the territory that by definition, the people who undergo the harshest and most horrific trauma to the point that they trigger and get powers are among the most damaged and unstable people in the population.
National Factbook: History, Economy, Military etc.
(Significantly inspired by Zeon from Gundam.)

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Okayanos wrote:
Utceforp wrote:Oh I've spent all day thinking of possible applications for the power I had in mind for him. (The ability to change the shape, density, texture, and colour of his entire body, possibly with a "hammerspace" of extra mass to draw on.) - Clinging to walls, disguising oneself in the environment, instantaneous armour, creating blades and claws, picking locks, dressing wounds, gliding, plucking out someone's eyes with your fingers, hanging from the ceiling above an unsuspecting enemy and using one arm to form a noose to silently hang them, etc. My personal favourite idea is interrogating someone by shoving two fingers into their nostrils and then rapidly elongating them as much as possible. My second favourite idea is generating false "clothing" using skin the colour and texture of cloth and strategically folded over itself to present the illusion of a separate garment, thus preventing clothing from inhibiting your stretching powers if you suddenly find yourself in a combat situation.

Haze, a member of the H-bombs, has only a Striker 2 rating, and she’s still a credible threat who’s put a room full of people on the floor in record time. Don’t get hung up on the ratings, they matter very little.

Every idea you’ve said makes Cuttlefish guy more than credible- if he’s smart enough to make the right friends, he could go far in the villainy business.

Yeah, I think I'll go back to him. The pyro concept I had in mind is, in hindsight, mostly just a clone of SCP-457. Sorry Jade, kind of wasted your time there.
Last edited by Utceforp on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are so 2014.

Axis Asteroid
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Asteroid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Utceforp wrote:
Okayanos wrote:

Yeah, I think I'll go back to him. The pyro concept I had in mind is, in hindsight, mostly just a clone of SCP-457. Sorry Jade, kind of wasted your time there.

I was reminded of Burnscar when you mentioned "depressed pyromancer" tbh.
Last edited by Axis Asteroid on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Factbook: History, Economy, Military etc.
(Significantly inspired by Zeon from Gundam.)

Jade Confederacy
Minister

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jade Confederacy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Been looking at the guns rule and got a few questions. Are they fine so long as no ones dies? If its a blanket bank ban, does that extend to nonparahumans? Because it would be a tad unrealistic if people try to take down a fully powered parahuman with clubs and knives.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Jade Confederacy wrote:Been looking at the guns rule and got a few questions. Are they fine so long as no ones dies? If its a blanket bank ban, does that extend to nonparahumans? Because it would be a tad unrealistic if people try to take down a fully powered parahuman with clubs and knives.

It's more of an 'intent' thing; carrying a gun means you're there with intent to kill, and therefore likewise people can kill you. It's also a 'fear' factor in the case of parahumans vs non-parahumans; generally they stick to fighting their own 'kind' as it were, and don't deal with the others unless they're highly-paid and highly-trained professionals.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:Lavr

Will be accepted once his gear is written up.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:48 pm

WIP App

Character App

Name: Antonio Oliveira de Silva (Usually just goes by "Tony Oliveira")
Alias: Sepia
Alignment: Villain
About 6'8 feet tall, very thin, with olive-coloured skin, black hair, and dark brown eyes. He shaves his head to prevent his hair from interfering with his powers. Most of the time, the majority of his "clothing" is actually skin with the colour and texture of clothing, folded over itself strategically to appear to be separate from his body. This is because actual clothing would interfere with his powers to a significant degree, and because it saves Tony money. (He has a habit of "wearing" expensive-looking "suits".) He has a few actual outfits, for situations where he anticipates he will have to remove his clothes in front of another person.

In combat, Tony eschews clothing entirely. He typically gives himself mottled yellow-brown "armour" by increasing the density of his skin significantly. He also covers his genitalia, buttocks, mouth, and nose in armour plating, and covers his eyes with a thin transparent barrier. For intimidation and disguise purposes, he turns his irises and sclerae a dark red colour. This is merely preference, of course, and he can also adopt other looks depending on his wants and needs.

BACKGROUND

Nationality: American
Hometown: Marlowe, California (a moderately-sized town on the Pacific coast, a little south of San Francisco.)

Personality: Surprisingly cheerful and outgoing outside of battle, but almost entirely silent when in battle. Tony prefers to fight like an ambush predator - lunging out of hiding and performing a few rapid attacks, then disengaging and starting the process over. He's slow to anger but treats violence a first resort when he is angry. His berserk button is children being taken advantage of by people in a position of power. He's jokingly self-aware of the various evil things he does and has done, but unaware of the fact that humorously self-deprecating about how "awful" he is doesn't absolve him of guilt for his actions. Just in general, he's not good at self-reflection.

Trigger Event: Antonio's father was emotionally manipulative and verbally abusive to him from a young age. Antonio's parents were immigrants who often struggled financially, which Antonio's father used to justify his abuse by claiming he wanted his son to "do better". Extreme pressure to succeed in school and "be a man" eventually morphed into disappointment, which in turn morphed into outright contempt for his son. Antonio escaped his father by spending hours at the beach, just watching the waves and the sky. Even today, imagining himself on the beach acts as a sort of "happy place" for Tony.

At age 18, Antonio got a job bagging groceries at a local supermarket, seeking another way to avoid his father and ultimately a way of achieving financial independence. He didn't tell his parents about the job, as he worried his father would try to take a cut of his salary, but instead told them he was "hanging out with his friends". He also started calling himself "Tony Oliveira" to his friends and coworkers, to distance himself from his father further. A few months into his job, Tony's father discovered he had been lying, and tailed him to his place of work. Once the store opened, Tony's father entered and confronted him, following him around and yelling about how he was a "coward" and a "thief", calling him pathetic and generally insulting him. Tony initially tried to ignore him but slowly got angrier and angrier until finally he threw a punch, breaking his father's nose and causing his trigger event.

Tony was arrested and was given a choice between joining the Wards or serving four months in jail for assault and battery. He politely declined the Protectorate's offer, as he had no interest in becoming part of the parahuman world and planned to simply ignore his power after getting out of jail.

The extreme expectations put on Tony by his father is the source of the Changer aspect of his power, while the fact that the humiliating fight occurred in front of many people is the source of the Stranger aspect of his power. Tony's desire to escape his father's influence using his job is why his power has Mover applications, while the violent nature of the punch he threw is why his power has Brute and Striker applications.

Power: Changer/Stranger 5 (Striker 3, Brute 2, Mover 2)

Tony has the ability to freely alter the shape, size, density, flexibility, texture, and colour of his entire body. He is restricted by the law of conservation of mass when doing so. Despite the fact that he can literally "shift" his "shape", Tony is not a true shapeshifter - He cannot gain the properties of non-biological materials aside from their colour and texture, (e.g. he can disguise himself as something made of iron, but he won't become magnetic.) he can't create anything more complex than a blade, he does not have a rapid healing ability, etc.

Tony's vital organs are a limiter on his powers. If he significantly alters the shape of his lungs, he has to hold his breath until he returns them to their normal state. If he significantly alters the shape of his brain, he'll suffer unpleasant headaches for a while afterwards. If he significantly alters the shape of his heart, he'll suffer a severe heart attack that will probably kill him and definitely incapacitate him.

While Tony's power is primarily a Changer power, it also has a Stranger aspect, due to his ability to change colour and texture. In dark or visually "busy" environments, Tony can easily disguise himself as part of the scenery - he might integrate himself into the rafters, or become a pillar, or take on the shape of a cardboard box. Additionally, while replicating the appearance of another living person is beyond him, Tony can alter his skin colour, facial features, build, etc. in order to avoid being recognized.

In terms of Striker applications, Tony can manifest blades and claws as melee weapons in a fight. In addition, he can shift the mass of his body parts while they're in motion, giving them more momentum and allowing him to hit harder. He can also alter the texture of his skin to be similar to sharkskin or sandpaper, causing worse wounds with his strikes than he would otherwise.

The primary Brute application of Tony's power is increasing the density of his skin and outer muscles to form "armour" resembling an exoskeleton. Bullets damage this armour but generally can't penetrate it. Additionally, by strategically increasing the size and density of his muscles, and using his power to distribute weight efficiently, Tony can simulate a degree of "super strength". For reference, Tony is strong enough to support his own weight and the weight of another adult human with little difficulty, but struggles to lift a car. While, like mentioned previously, Tony doesn't have healing abilities, he can use his powers to form armoured "bandages" and "casts" out of folds of skin, minimizing the long-term consequences of any wounds he receives.

Finally, Tony's power improves his ability to move in a variety of ways. By changing the texture of skin to form structures analogous to a Gecko's spatulae or a spider's scopulae, Tony can cling to vertical and horizontal surfaces. By stretching his limbs, Tony can reach across gaps and climb structures a normal human would not be able to. By narrowing his body, Tony can fit through any space wider than a human heart. By forming a thin membrane between his arms and his legs, Tony can glide like a someone in a wingsuit.

Weaknesses: While Tony's mind is almost as flexible as his body, he is not very self-critical - IE, he has a lot of ideas, but a lot of them aren't especially good ideas. This applies to the tactics he uses in combat, long-term decision making, and morality.

Prior to gaining his powers, Tony was somewhat nearsighted, requiring glasses to compensate. After gaining his powers, Tony eventually figured out how to permanently "stretch" his eyes slightly, curing his myopia. However, if he is knocked unconscious, falls asleep, or his powers are temporarily disabled by a Trump, his eyes will return to their "default" state just like the rest of him, and he'll need a few minutes without distractions to fine-tune the length of his eyes again.

Equipment and weapons: Tony owns a handgun for use in emergencies. Due to both the inconvenience of carrying a gun while using his powers, and the general taboo against firearms in the parahuman community, Tony generally keeps the gun in his apartment rather than taking it into the field. He also keeps a first aid kit in his house.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Skills: Experienced burglar and generally good at moving quietly. Experienced but untrained fighter. Fluent in Portuguese.
Connections: Tony is a former member of "The Menagerie", a Sacramento-based gang whose core membership consisted of Mr. Wolf, (The leader, a Tinker specializing in sonic technology.) Mr. Pig (A Brute with enhanced strength and durability whose power increased and decreased due to several variables.) Mr. Fish, (Tony, operating under a different alias.) and Mr. Bird. (A young Striker with the power to cause objects to explode into deadly shards.) Tony met the future Mr. Pig during his time in jail, who was in turn friends with the future Mr. Wolf. Tony initially wanted nothing to do with the gang. However, after he was released from prison, his father made it clear Tony was no longer welcome in his house, and his criminal record prevented him from finding a job, so he agreed to become a founding member of the Menagerie simply for a place to stay.

During the nine years that Tony was a member of the Menagerie, he learned most of his skills of criminal relevance, refined the way he used his powers, and generally became more ruthless. Tony became the group's stealth expert, and specialized as both a burglar and an enforcer, using his abilities to silently infiltrate people's residences and either attack them or rob them blind. About six years into Tony's career, Mr. Bird was recruited into the gang by Mr. Wolf.

This lead to a fracture between Mr. Wolf and Tony, as Tony believed Wolf had been harming and exploiting Bird in a variety ways. This culminated in a fight between the two, which lead to Wolf exiling Tony from the gang. A few days later, Tony snuck into Mr. Wolf's house, and smothered him in his sleep. Without Mr. Wolf, the Menagerie fractured and fell apart. However, since most of the gang supported Tony's side in his dispute with Wolf, there is little ill will between him and the other former gang members. Despite this, Tony felt the need to flee Sacramento, as he was worried his murder of Mr. Wolf might warrant a more extreme response from the PRT, and he was worried his former allies would end up caught in the crossfire. Tony ended up in Portland and got his new alias of "Sepia" out of a library book about marine biology.

Mr. Pig and Mr. Bird (Now going by "Razorback" and "Fragment") are still active in California, as are many other nonpowered former members of the Menagerie.

Goals: Join a new gang, make money, generally be successful
Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8R_7Opru6U
Last edited by Utceforp on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Signatures are so 2014.

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 am

Don't TL;DR on trigger events. They're the most important of building a Worm character.

In addition, the Changer power leans too close to a 'do everything' ability. He'd be able to easily mimic the powers of most of the Changers shown in Worm, which is... not a good thing.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:21 am

Aidannadia wrote:Would the public or some entity be aware of the full extent of a person's powers, or only those that publically manifest? Would that go into their threat classification? How bizarre or niche can we go?

I've read a bit of worm, and I know that the public has websites and forums dedicated to cataloging KNOWN power of parahumans that make themselves known. As for the PRT, they probably have their own means of intelligence gathering.

In my personal opinion, yes, both heroes and villains have a range as to how they do their job, but as I understand it, Heroes are almost always cooperative with the PRT and the Protectorate, which is basically like a massive group of nearly all heroes in North America with local offices in every major city with teams of varying sizes depending on how prevalent threats are. Rogues are neutral and don't really commit crime or perform heroic acts.

I think a lot of it comes down to responsibility, and intent when doing hero things, but heroes will be charged if they do 'villainous things'.

hope that helps. like I said, I'm not the most knowledgeable on Worm.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 am

Tag. The Worm universe is incredibly cool.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:54 am

Okayanos wrote:Don't TL;DR on trigger events. They're the most important of building a Worm character.

In addition, the Changer power leans too close to a 'do everything' ability. He'd be able to easily mimic the powers of most of the Changers shown in Worm, which is... not a good thing.

The app is a work in progress, it'll be at least three paragraphs by the time I'm done.

Do you have any suggestions on how I should nerf his power?
Signatures are so 2014.

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:55 am

There's actually a spreadsheet with the powers of every single Worm cape ever mentioned in the story, with accompanying classifications and ratings if they were mentioned. If anyone's not feeling particularly inspired, you could always cannibalise facets of different powers to create something new-ish.

It's right here!
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 am

Character App

Name: Katelyn Newman
Alias: Vitri
Alignment: Hero

BACKGROUND

Nationality: American
Hometown: Portland

Personality: Mostly quiet and demure, Katelyn doesn't like to draw too much attention to herself. She prefers indirect means of confrontation and when it comes to friends and family, she would rather bend to please them than start an argument if it can be help. She prioritizes saving others rather than doing harm, but sometimes feels she isn't strong enough to make a real difference.

Trigger Event: A Portland native, Katelyn was witness to the numerous battles between the heroes and various factions of villains. At any moment, the city would erupt into violence before cooling back down to the status quo. She came out unaffected for the most part, until one day, she didn't. An explosion, either a stray piece of tinker tech that malfunctioned or possibly even a stray shot of someones ability, rippled past Katelyn as she and her family ran for cover. Glass from a nearby storefront launched at them with malice. Katelyn and her sister received the worst of it, the warmer temperatures of Summer only adding to their lack of long sleeves and pants.

The glass embedded itself in Katelyn's face and eyes, blinding her for several hours until they received medical attention. There, in that hailstorm of glass and chaos, under the fear she and her family would die, she triggered.

Power: In an approximate 300ft radius around her, Vitri can create triangular mirror-like structures that remained fixed in the air. Vitri can also cause them to emit blinding light comparable to the strongest of floodlights, or she can simply let them be mirrors. There is no limit to how many she can create in her radius, but they cannot cross the boundary of another mirror, and they cannot form if a solid is occupying the space. Additionally, they break as easily as glass, but Vitri can allow them to move according to physics, or remain fixed and unmovable. Attempting to move them will cause the material to shatter into microscopic pieces before motion can occur.

Vitri can use them as steps or platforms in the air. Another possible minor aspect of her powers is to be constantly aware of the locations and sizes of all the individual mirrors in relation to her, allowing her to create 'mirror mazes' around herself and her targets, and then further disorient them with flashes of light. She can also skillfully make it appear that she is in different locations in her mirror maze by bouncing her image off dozens of mirrors at one in order to throw off targets or attackers.
Shaker 5/ Mover 1

Weaknesses: The mirrors are weaker than even glass and even the largest only weigh fractions of a gram, making them ill suited as weapons. On top of that, Vitri cannot move them with her mind, and once a mirror begins to form, Vitri cannot change it between being able to be moved by physics or fixed, so she has to decide that beforehand.

They can support up to an average human weight, but will immediately shatter if more force than that is applied to them, making them terrible cover from bullets or projectiles.

While Vitri excels at disorientation, those with certain thinker abilities or enhanced senses can still located her in the mirror maze quite normally.

Equipment and weapons: Small combat knife in case of emergencies, hardened gloves, steel baton

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Skills: Trained in simple self-defense courtesy of the Wards
Connections: Member of the Portland Wards
Goals: Help protect people in Portland, and join the Protectorate once she graduates the Wards
Theme Song: The Light
Last edited by The Cyberiad Council on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 am

Auphelia wrote:There's actually a spreadsheet with the powers of every single Worm cape ever mentioned in the story, with accompanying classifications and ratings if they were mentioned. If anyone's not feeling particularly inspired, you could always cannibalise facets of different powers to create something new-ish.

It's right here!

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:24 am

The Cyberiad Council wrote:(Image)

It's called "borrowing".

:twisted:
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

Okayanos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Okayanos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 am

Utceforp wrote:
Okayanos wrote:Don't TL;DR on trigger events. They're the most important of building a Worm character.

The app is a work in progress, it'll be at least three paragraphs by the time I'm done.

The easiest way would be to limit what kind of transformations he’s capable of- instead of shrinking, growing, blade-ing, and tendril-ing all at once, he’s got one type to fall back on. Maybe a combination, like he can make parts of himself bigger while also making them sharper. Or he only alters one aspect of his body, like skin, bone, muscle, etc. As another alternative, stricter resource limits- maybe he can’t change anything on himself without immediately consuming something the moment he wants to change. That’s what I have off the top of my head.

EDIT: The limits on powers can be used for characterization just as much as the powers themselves. This character triggers due to ‘not being a real man’- perhaps his power is solely limited to buffing himself with armor, blades, claws, etc- at the cost of something else, possibly mental faculties. The Stranger aspect would be scrapped in this case, because ‘real men’ don’t hide or run from fights.
Last edited by Okayanos on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Arkeyana
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Arkeyana » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:33 am

This seems interesting, might go for a Tinker character, but I do have a question:
Once a Tinker makes a device, can the device be modified/added on to/have more versions made as more and more situations arise?
Last edited by Arkeyana on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:45 am

Okayanos wrote:
Utceforp wrote:The app is a work in progress, it'll be at least three paragraphs by the time I'm done.

The easiest way would be to limit what kind of transformations he’s capable of- instead of shrinking, growing, blade-ing, and tendril-ing all at once, he’s got one type to fall back on. Maybe a combination, like he can make parts of himself bigger while also making them sharper. Or he only alters one aspect of his body, like skin, bone, muscle, etc. As another alternative, stricter resource limits- maybe he can’t change anything on himself without immediately consuming something the moment he wants to change. That’s what I have off the top of my head.

I might go with resource limitations, just because I like the disguise applications of his power and don't want to limit them. I could get rid of the "hammerspace" ability and force him to work with just the mass within his own body, meaning that if he wants to increase the size or density of part of his body, he has to decrease the size or density of another body part.

Also, in hindsight, forming prehensile tendrils is effectively giving him a extra limbs (I decided early on that "growing new body parts" would be beyond the limits of his power.) so I'll get rid of that too. (Theoretically he would still be able to form non-prehensible tendrils, since those are just really long and floppy ridges, but I can't see any practical applications for that.)

Would that be enough?
Signatures are so 2014.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse