NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations ( IC, Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:16 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:-snip-

Mara, 8th year, 3rd Summer Monday

"Raginaharjas, son of Kunjamundus. Of Roskilde, but as your men say, today I stand here representing all of Norðurland," Raginaharjas clarified, stepping forwards as his rich brown fur coat settled on his clean shirt and skirt.

Every aspect of the next minute had been carefully written, practiced, and rehearsed. Now that showtime had actually come, Raginaharjas couldn't honestly say that he didn't feel nervous, but he tried to squash that feeling down to the deepest corner of his heart where it wouldn't bother him. Since he met his woman he ventured where no northern man has ever seen before, kept order in a rowdy room of a hundred elders, and tested all of her strange new designs and even before all that he was a proud warrior and hunter. Where in his proud mind belonged nerves?

Clara's words rang out in his head. Give no assurance, make no commitment, and answer no question that you didn't plan to beforehand.

Gudabego, his clerk, handed him a short note of his lines. It was, from a purely functional perspective, an entirely pointless gesture. Raginaharjas could, if pressed, slowly parse the alphabet, but he couldn't read. Not like Clara could. That's why he had his introduction memorised. On the other hand, Clara assured him that it would make a good impression if he at least looked like he could read. So, for the benefit of the audience, he accepted the sheet of bark paper and pretended to look down at it.

"I am pleased and honoured to be so greeted with amity and peace by the Imperium," he spoke, looking back up into the leader's eyes, with the same faux-confident voice with which he chaired Stórþing sittings, "and greet your excellency with hopes of friendship and co-operation from the Stórþing and people of Norðurland."

"Considering the increasing maritime trade between the settlements of our alliance and yours," Raginaharjas continued, "it would be entirely in order to call our two alliances neighbours regardless of the physical distance that separates our frontiers. With new neighbours come new potential for prosperity in new exchanges, but with new neighbours also come new potential for conflict. It is, however, the sincere belief of the people that I stand here to represent that much conflict arise from misunderstandings and lack of good faith by either party."

Raginaharjas dipped his eyes back to his script, letting it settle there in silence for a few seconds. þ... a... well, he was probably looking at the right paragraph? No matter.

"It is the judgement of the Stórþing that if there is to be any conflict between our two alliances, then at least let them arise from genuine grievances than ones born of arrogance and false assumptions. So, I have come here, to further our understanding of your people and allow you to further your understanding of ours and to, if at all possible, lay down the first brick towards building a permanent peace between us. That is my purpose in standing here, before this court."

He returned his script back to his clerk, and stood tall, awaiting a response.

Roskilde, 8th year, 7th Summer Tuesday

It was the seventh week of Summer and, as just like in the last seven years, the Regular Session of the Stórþing was beginning another sitting. The two verðir Stórþingsins - the parliament guards - carefully carried the chest, just a pottery bucket, frankly, full of iron medallions. Although in my old life I was never a great fan of all this old-fashioned symbolic rubbish, here, I found them all quite valuable. With these people, not yet glazed over by the cynicism of a more industrial and educated society, grand gestures still meant something and honour was something both carefully kept and fiercely defended. The chest was laid down on the plain wooden table that dominated the centre of the Chamber with the metallic clinking of 137 oversized coins, each with a unique design and inscription, one for each settlement represented in the Chamber today.

"In the powers vested in me as ræðumaður Stórþingsins Norðurlands," Raginaharjas declared as the verðir resumed their position guarding the entrance to the Stórþingishús, his booming voice easily carrying across the frankly cramped room, "I call the Second Sitting of the 15th Regular Session of Stórþing Norðurlands to order!"

Seven years and 14 Sessions later, Raginaharjas was not the uncertain and fish-out-of-water parliamentarian that I hastily prepared with a couple weeks of nightly rules-and-procedure cramming that he once was. A iron sword and metal-trimmed wooden shield lay beside his elevated wooden seat, making him the only armed person in the Chamber proper. Alongside his fur cloak, not strictly necessary in the summer, and a lazy yet powerful posture, he presented a fierce visage of a hunter-warrior. The kind you didn't want to mess with.

The gavel met stone once, punctuating his words.

"The Aðalþingmaður Clara Axinite Rose, daughter of Julian, is called upon to remind the Stórþing of the discourse held in yesterday's sittings and present the agenda for the day."

That was my cue. I stood up from my chair just in front of but significantly below Raginaharjas', gathering my notes before me.

"The 1st Sitting of the 15th Regular Session of Stórþingsins Norðurlands was called to order on the morning of 8th year, 7th Summer Monday in Stórþingishús by ræðumaður Raginaharjas, son of Kunjamundus. All 137 members were present and accounted for in..."

With no necessary information to present in today's sitting, after the introductions were held, the floor was immediately opened up to statements by members. Already, not even an hour into the session, it was easy to tell the old parliamentarians, particularly the member for København and the member for Ringsted, who have attended every Session right from the first, from those newly joining the Stórþing either because their settlements were only recently pressed into joining Norðurland or because their settlements replaced whoever represented them last Session by how much the latter group seemed ill at ease, looking around, partially standing up and sitting back down... unfamiliar with their surroundings and the various customs and traditions of debate that, even now, just seven years after the creation of the Stórþing, was beginning to assert itself.

The Stórþing has also come a long way from those early campfire discussions in the summer night.

"...and I therefore consider it essential, to ensure the security of our eastern trade, that the violent savagery of the tribes in Sviþjod and Bergslagen be quelled at the soonest opportunity, whether by force or by their induction into our alliance."

"I recognise the member for Akershus. On what grounds do you stand?"

"Right of reply, ræðumaður."

"It is granted."

"I resent, and am deeply offended by, the insinuation by the member for Assens that the responsibility for the continued disruption of trade..."

Confused... yes, they looked very confused indeed. Heh. If you can't beat them, awe them and confuse them. The points raised in the statements were generally fairly menial in nature. The few members who were quite boastful of the þrælar they captured during attacks, of varying levels of justification, around the Baltic coast and Britannia were... quite upsetting. Kaupang, it seemed, set a precedent last winter. Now seemingly everyone wanted to pick up a few extra hands to tend to the fields. I knew that even my own Roskilde picked up six, not from any attacks of its own but from some of the more... hierarchically-minded settlements who felt that we were the unspoken "leader" and helpfully handed us a few as tribute. The elders stressed the point that it was really neither necessary nor expected. I don't think they believed us. In any case, at least within Roskilde I absolutely made sure they were treated well, and even put in hours teaching them the language - the norrænt tungumál.

Asides from the new þrælar the news brought in was mostly the usual chatter of people being angry about various petty grievances and perceived grievances some settlements still had towards their neighbours, those pleased at their adoption of metal replacements for this or that tool, those displeased at the lack of support from Roskilde in terms of their own metalworking crafts, et cetera, et cetera. Sometimes, though, small news was good news. No big natural disaster, or open war, or wolfpack attack happened in the last six months, or it would surely have been brought up. The time marched relentlessly forwards and soon, the various proposals were put forwards for debate.

"These random acts of violence against our neighbours," passionately argued the member for Tønder, "build up in our neighbours distrust and hostility aimed at us. Never forget that we, all of us, are often seen as a unified entity, not least because of our distinctive metal swords. One settlement's lust for þrælar could break a potential partner in trade for years. There clearly needs to be greater co-ordination..."

Of course, for all the trappings of parliamentary legalism that I built into place these past few years, there was still the problem that literate clerks and writers were still very few and in tight supply. The texts of the proposals were rarely more than a couple sentences long, because often enough those proposing an Act had to verbally communicate them to me. It was, perhaps, a great help to my sanity that these Regular Sessions were only held twice a year. What with all my other work piling on top of managing the administrative backwork for the Stórþing, my workload during these Sessions could sometimes get... intense.

Having already read out the text of the Act proposed, I did not have much to do except wait as debate raged around me. As I have many, many times these past few years, I found myself profoundly wanting to do something, to change things, to influence the course of government... but finding myself entirely restricted by my own rules from doing so.

"On the question of the passage of the Act to Peaceful Commerce, as many as are of that opinion, say 'aye.'"

"Aye!"

"Of the contrary, 'no.'"

"No!"

"Divide the Stórþing! Clear the hall and call in the members!"

And yet, I was pleased at all this. The seating was wood and dirt, not lacquered wood and cushion while the walls were billowing tent fabric, not marble and brick, and yet... here, here was the Stórþing. A place where interests competed and decisions were made without violence, without feuds, in an orderly fashion as prescribed in law and procedure. So what if the debate was a little unrefined, if political customs haven't really built up yet?

I created this.

And I'm proud of it.

"The ayes to the right, sixty-four. the noes to the left, fifty-two. Sedentary abstentions, twenty-one. Absent from Chamber, zero."

"The ayes to the right, sixty-four," Raginaharjas repeated, "the noes to the left, twenty-eight. The ayes have it, the ayes have it. In the powers vested in me as the ræðumaður Stórþingsins Norðurlands, I do hereby announce that it is the pleasure of the Stórþing to include henceforth the Act of Peaceful Commerce in lög Norðurlands."
Last edited by Plzen on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:39 am, edited 12 times in total.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:44 pm

Wilson James
Chapter I: The Landing

I slowly opened by eyes to see myself lying under a few trees. Thinking I was in a state of sleep paralysis, or a half dreaming, I tried to close my eyes again, until I heard a massive THUMP in the distance. No way that’s just a dream, I thought. It was then that I was jolted awake and realized that I was really under the tree, I sat upright, trying to process what was going on. I was working overtime before falling asleep, getting some finance reports in before the deadline, how did I end up outside? I thought to myself again. My surroundings shocked me more that anything, a vast expansive grassland dotted with shrubs lay in front of me. This was sure as hell not Baltimore, let alone my office. The third shock came to me as I glanced at my body… naked.

“WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?!??!?!?!” I screamed loudly as soon as I realized my nudity. If this was a prank it had obviously gone too far, and I had no idea where I was. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck. Who the fuck would do something like this? “This isn’t funny, you can reveal yourself now” I screamed to no one in particular. “Seriously, this isn’t funny” I persisted to no avail. I got up, panicked, and started walking around the savannah, searching for anything or anyone I knew. This was the strangest thing ever, I was sure I had died and was in heaven, or hell. No way, no way, no way I repeated to myself in my head. I was feeling dizzy, not knowing what was going on or where to go. I could not see a single human for miles in any distance, the savannah extended out into the distance as far as I could see, and immediately behind me was a small cluster of trees. A large river seemed to run nearby. I heard a loud snort, and turned around to face a… hyena? I ran immediately, luckily, the animal showed no interest in pursuing me.

My mind was swirling, I couldn’t focus or think at all. Then finally, behind some of the trees, I spotted a man, a black man. He held what looked like a caveman’s spear, and was nearly completely nude as well. What… I couldn’t even process my thoughts now. I walked up to the man, and he spotted me and regarded me suspiciously, when I continued walking closer, he got wide eyed and aimed the spear at me. “No! Stop! What are you doing?!” I yelled, he seemed a little shocked and retreated. What surprised me even more that my words didn’t come out in english, but rather a completely different language that I seemed to understand.

“Who are you, and which tribe do you come from?” the man asked me. “I don’t know what tribes your talking about, man, but I come from Baltimore, Maryland.” The man looked confused. “You know Baltimore, it’s in Maryland?” I asked him. “Mary-land? What land? I have never heard of such land.” He told me. “You know, in America?” I replied. Poor guy looked even more confused. “It’s a place far away.” The man regarded me suspiciously, “Come to the village, meet the chief of the Kamba Tribe, foreigner.” “Uh… sure?” I agreed, somewhat confused.

The man lead me to the river, where a small raft made of driftwood lay, tied together with tree fiber. The man motioned for me to sit down, while he paddled the raft with a log. “My name is Kitwana, I am a warrior of the Kamba tribe. You do not look like you’re from around here, are you? I have seen people like you, but not in this area” he told me. I looked at myself, while I was black as well, my skin wasn’t as dark as his. “How did you come here, foreigner?” Kitwana asked. “I really don’t know. I just… woke up here.” I told him, as his eyes grew wide. “You… just woke up here?” He asked. “Pretty much, no idea what happened.” I told him. His eyes continued getting wider. “And… what is your name?” He continued his questioning. “Wilson” I said, they seemed to not really have last names, so I just told him my first. “Wilson. I have never heard of such name before, you must truly be from far away.” He said.

As Kitwana continued paddling, I could see a village coming up, made up of grass huts and houses on stilts. The village seemed to be populated by black people as well. Hyenas, savannah, black people, grass huts… I’m in Africa! I thought to myself, suddenly getting a new sense of terror of how I was an ocean away. The village, came closer as Kitwana leaned the raft against the river’s banks and led me off. People walking around us and working in the small village were murmuring and giving me looks of wonder and strangeness. Kitwana led me into a hut in the middle of the village, inside, an aged man sat on tree stump appropriated into a chair.

“Chief Fanaka, I present Wilson, a man from a land called Mary-Land, very far away.” The chief regarded me with interest. “Where do you come from, son?” He asked. “Very very far away.” I replied. He gave a thoughtful look, “How did Kitwana find you?” He asked. “I just… woke up here” The chief gave the same wide eyed look. “You must be sent by the spirits of the sky, you must have landed here and destined to meet us.” The chief went on. Spirits? I thought most Africans were Christian… I thought, until I realized that, since coming here, I had not seen any evidence of modern technology. From the raft, to the village itself, no matter how poor or isolated some African communities were, they can’t be this bad. I suddenly had a crazy thought, one that actually may be true… I was in the past. “Son, you stay in this village, it seems you are a gift of the spirits.” He said.
Last edited by Aureumterra on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Achidyemay
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Achidyemay » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Day 365
Vorvyo

They had managed to drive the herd back into the large corral just a week ago. There was growing pains, as the to herds mingled, but Raffael had managed to suspend the worst of the fighting. For now they just seemed to spend time in the cliques that they had had beforehand. This was okay, Raf thought as he stood with one leg on a fence post, looking to all the world like a farmer decided to dress up as a caveman for a day. Laika perked her ears and looked up, Raffael followed her gaze to meet the eyes of Krawa.
"Howdy," Raffael called.
"Gods be with you." Came the response. Krawa huffed and put a leg up on the fence post aswell.
"Simsim is looking good today." He gestured with his chin to the horse in question. Simsim had been looking sickly and had promptly been quarantined and tied down.
"She sure is, how long do you intend to keep her tied up like that."
"Oh, another week or so, if she gets better, if she doesn't..." Raffael just sort of let himself trail off. He was really worried about an epidemic with the herd, or the disease spreading to any of the villagers.
"You've been out here all morning, are you feeling hungry?"
"Not particularly." Raffael was very used to ignoring hunger.
"You should eat something anyway, they're planning on slaughtering a few more sheep today, I could ask for the first cuts." Raf knew that Krawa was a relentlessly helpful individual, so he relented.
"A cut of mutton would be lovely." Raffael looked south to where several bodies were appearing through the trees. "What the-"
"I don't recognize them." There was concern in his voice.
"Me neither, should I go get the Dractas?"
"Yes, gods, there are a lot of them..." He sprinted off towards his house, calling out to his children. Raffael ran the other way, running towards the city center. The black and white pup lept to her feet, sprinting to catch up.

By the time he reached the top of the hill, he was winded. He pointed the figures, who were just now entering the pastureland, out to Draklesh, one of the cities militia members.
"We know," came the gruff reply. Raffael looked over to Dractas Dahtarm's house to see him coming out with the leader of the militia, a broad man named Kane. The captain shouted orders to the gathered members, who rushed off to raise the cry of alarm. Now that the group was fully out of the forest, it was estimated that they were thirty members strong, all able bodied men. As an able bodied man in the immediate vicinity, Raffael was instantly drafted into the city's defense. From a storeroom near the center of the village, spare spears were produced and handed down the line. Raffael clutched onto his for dear life. He had spoken to an army recruiter when he was in highschool. He had told the man flat out then that he was a deserter. Raffael had always been an ardent pacifist, he wasn't sure the spear in his hands changed anything. He wasn't prepared to defend the village with his life, and he didn't expect the same from his comrades, though it was hard to ignore the resolved look on all of their faces.
He could be a part of a show of force. A show of force, this was all that it was. "Laika, stay, for the love of God, stay!" He said to the puppy.

The fencing made moving through the pastureland difficult, and the group of attackers moved between the corrals, funneling themselves four abroad down the center. Kane turned around, splitting the assembled men, already nearly 100 strong, into three groups. The central group would meet them head on, while the two others would enter the pastures and flank from the side and from behind. Raffael was in one of the flanking groups. The three groups marched roughly forward, the flanking groups hopping the fence. As Raffael approached, he noticed that the would be attackers weren't particularly well armed and those carrying slings hadn't loaded them. Kane stopped his troops, while the rest continued to encircle. He had to speak loudly, but didn't have to shout, to be heard.
"Your attack will not succeed."
"We aren't attacking." Came the reply.
"Put down your weapons." Kane said, while posturing his own. There was a mermering from within the group as they looked around. No on put down their spears, but Raffael noticed that they weren't brandishing them like the Voryoans were.
"We are not attacking." A different man repeated. This was met with general assurances from those within the unidentified party.
"I don't care, put down your weapons." Kane gestured with his spear. Again there was mermering within the would be attackers, a few began to turn around looking to leave, but they were completely encircled at this point. There was a lot of internal discussion, but eventually they lowered the few spears that they possessed.
"We were just following the cows!" One of them shouted. One of the teams of cow herders had returned recently, this group must've been a hunting party on the trail, Raffael figured.
"The cows are ours. Turn over your spears, slings, and any other weapons, as well as anything you may have caught in our woods."
"We're not-"
"Sit DOWN!" Kane ordered, demonstrating the large voice that Raffael associated with the man. The hunters glared at the Vorvyoan militia. A second militia had formed just outside the city gates on the hill, adding additional weight to the captain's words. The standoff continued for many minutes, neither party willing to put lives on the line in an assault, even if a victory was assured. Eventually the hunters sat down. The main group walked among them, picking up spears and other items of interest. Stripped of all valuables, Kane ordered the group to leave the way that they had entered. Disgraced, they left for the trees.

"But what if they had been hostile?" Raffael asked. It was dinner at the Krawa household, one of only a dozen to be outside the city walls in the pasturelands. Krawa had rejoined the left-side flank after he had ensured the safety of his family at the North entrance. The militarization of the city had been the talk of the evening.
"They weren't." Ja'ka said, dismissing the matter with a wave of boiled carrot.
"And if they had been?" Krawa asked, taking up Raffael's position. "Today could have been a very bloody day. If they hadn't let themselves be pinchered so assuredly, or if they had had reserves in the forest."
"Which they may have," Raffael agreed, interjecting between a mouthful of the aforementioned lamb.
"They could counter attack at any moment." Krawa poked the air with an asparagus tip.
"And you will all be roused to stop that from happening," the forever dry tone of Krawa's wife, Kanan, pushed its way into the conversation. She entered with her daughter in tow, who Krawa promptly snapped up and tickled. "Best hope you don't get your rest disturbed."
"Have they posted lookouts?" Raffael asked, he hadn't seen anyone on the battlements.
"If you're concerned, you can stay awake yourself." Kanan derided. Raffael was beginning to see who Ja'ka got it from. "We'll keep the door latched tonight."
"I'm just a bit more worried about the herds to be honest."
"We'll hear them, the herds can take care of themselves." Krawa turned to Raffael, looking him in the eye. "Doesn't make me any less concerned."

The sun had set well beneath the horizon, and the stars were shining bright. Raffael leaned against the fencing and surveyed the treeline. The trees offered nothing, but gentle swishing in the wind and shadows from the moonlight. The stars and moon seemed brighter, closer, but he was sure it was just an optical illusion. Still, he must be miles from any city to get a view like this. It was the one year anniversary of him washing up on that beach today. It had been eventful, he had gotten to eat meat, the horses hadn't been too uppity, it had been a good day. If he hadn't been keeping track, he may not have noticed. But he had been keeping track, and he did notice, and it bothered him. He must've been declared missing, and still no one had found him. He probably shouldn't have moved from that beach, it may've made the search harder, but also, how was he supposed to know that the call would've brought him to Sulo, and a world entirely unlike his own. A world were people carry spears and every interaction with a stranger is cause for alarm. He picked up a stone from the ground and slung it, sending it sailing at the tree line. It fell well short, assuring the geneticist that he was well out of range. Thankfully, he had yet to witness death, but the amount of posturing that he had witnessed so far convinced him that he may have to eventually. And as far as he was concerned, it was better that they continue to talk the talk without walking the walk. The air was so clear outside the hut, he let himself breathe deeply.

And what would he do, when it came time that he was expected to kill. Could he abandon his friends and adoptive family so easily? Would they run with him if he asked? Raffael had dealt with highly stressful situations at work, while growing up, he always had believed that he had handled himself well. He rarely allowed the stakes of the situation to cloud his judgement. His mind rolled back to the LARPing hypothesis, maybe this was the reason that he hadn't seen anyone die, maybe the posturing added too much to the drama and fun of it. These sure weren't practice spears, he had honed the heads on some of them himself. The risk of someone dying was too much. But these people were so hardcore. A year. A year of their collective lives without so much as a phone call, their kids weren't enrolled in school, and there was a thousand of them in this city alone. Who does that? The people who had "attacked" the village had been sent east to where they came from, but now what would they do, without their hunting weapons and without food for the night. They would scavenge for food and then likely go to bed hungry with the setting sun. Who would volunteer for that? Unless they were a less intense group who were in charge of the antagonistic plot of it all and they had ordered out for pizza as soon as they had retreated into the woods. Raffael knew there were no roads in that forest, but the thought of Domino's delivery made his mouth water. He shook his head, and where were all of the roads, the infrastructure, certainly Canada wasn't the most road heavy place in the world, but North Dakota? He had been on at least one of those roads before. And no amount of LARPing power could keep the planes out of the sky.

Maybe there was no one, maybe he had died, and this was heaven. It wasn't exactly a Hell. Purgatory maybe? He had met good people and stubborn people, certainly. Everyone was just trying to make the best of an incredibly crummy situation. These weren't LARPer nerds, these were human being, who genuinely seemed surprised, excited, and dubious about the prospect of horseback riding. Much more the concept of composting or germs or crop rotation. Who said selective breeding was "risky". If he was in heaven, maybe this was his ancestor's heaven. They prayed, but apparently so do the angels and the saints, and prayer can bring comfort even when God isn't invoked. His last name was Kolman, a translation of a translation of a translation for the Latin word for dove. It was a spiritual name, but these people didn't know Jesus. Maybe he hadn't been as religious as his good Grandmother had hoped and he had been filed away with his ancestors who had been irreligious because Christ had yet to be born. If he was dead, maybe he died on the beach in California, maybe the snow on the beach when he woke up was a signal to him that he was somewhere else.

Not that any of these theories really changed the facts. The facts were that he had had a large meal, but it was smaller than a normal meal before he had woken up, and that it had been the only thing he had eaten that day. The facts were that today he had been called to take up arms and threaten another man's life. The facts were that he hadn't spoken to any of his family or friends in a year and he missed them, terribly. Behind him a horse whinnied, Raffael spun around, looking to where the horse's coat glimmered in the moonlight. He stared for a good long while, but the horses were calm. He turned back toward the forest. Laika had been asleep when he had left the hut, so he had left her sleeping, but he wished for the dog then. A wind cut through the valley and he shivered, the spring nights were still cold.
Dear Sir: Regarding your article 'What's Wrong with the World?' I am.
Yours truly,
G.K. Chesterton

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:25 am

Year 10 Month 9

The Tigris The expedition had gone from 20 people to 18 after leaving the scholars behind. They headed down the river, stopping at the bank occasionally to rest. A few of the men would fish using copper hooks and dried meat while they rested. They were on flat alluvial plains. It was a slow steady trip down the river. Eventually they reached the mud brick walls of Nineveh. There were some small gardens with fruit trees, almonds, and date palms. They traded some copper for quince and pear seeds.

One of the men from the expedition died in his sleep. They buried him not far from the river with his necklace, spear and shield covering him with ochre and said a blessing to Sabazius and the Great Goddess.

They had two Sumerians with them who had been traders at Troy. Another Sumerian from Nineveh named Enki who was a barber and laborer by trade wanted to go to Ur and offered to pay them with silver for the trip. He also gave several of the people on expedition hair cuts and beard trims with a copper razor. They continued traveling along the river passing several small farms with wheat, date palms, goats, sheep, and cattle. It was a slow steady trip. One of the men made some extra fishing lines and poles to catch fish and they caught some small game to supplement their supplies. They also foraged a bit finding some pear trees, dates, and edible tubers.

While they were foraging, one of the men was attacked by a pack of hyenas and killed. They tried to be sparse with their food supplies and boil the water from the river to not get sick. Eventually, they reached the alluvial plains of Elam which led into the Arabian sea. They tried to not trade with supplies conserving their resources. The crew from Oak had grown lean and tan from the sun. Some had adopted the bearded style of the Sumerians.

During the trip, they would converse with the guides and occasionally meet people on the river. They would practice their Sumerian. Five of the men from the Oak became better at talking the local language, even learning a few curse words. They described themselves as merchants and scribes from Oak. While stopping at a small farm, one of the men disappeared. They searched for him and found he had run off with the local village harlot. Some of the silver for trading was missing and two gold rings.

As they reached the end of the river which led into the Arabian Sea, they turned back up and started heading up the Euphrates, having not realized Ur was on the Euphrates, not the Tigris. They were making 40 miles a day. With rest and trade, it took them a month to reach the end of the river which is 1,150 miles long. Then they started traveling north to Ur which took them another week with trade and rest. They spent 37 days on the river. They were not far from Ur according to the travelers when they pulled their rafts up to the shore.

Following the Amber Road

Sitalkes continued traveling the Amber Road.

Sitalkes saw a burnt out village.
Sitalkes, "Why is this farm destroyed?"

Cenric, the trader, "The locals, they move their farms every sixty years and burn the old ones to renew the earth. It is a strange custom."

Sitalkes, "Yes, I agree, I would never burn my own farm. It is strange. But, we are in a strange place."

Cenric, "At least it is safe. The locals, they are mostly peaceful and hospitable."

Sitalkes, "They have offered us shelter on the road and some have treated us as guests in exchange for tales of the world and some copper." They continue walking for an hour. Then they run into a very large patch of burnt forest with trees that are uprooted.

Cenric, "This I have not seen before."

Sitalkes, "It is very strange looking."

One of the warriors from Oak walks towards the burnt out patch of forest, Looking at the ground, he points, and says, "Sitalkes, what are those strange hoofprints."

Sitalkes, "Why would they burn a patch of forest. It makes no sense."

Brasus, "We should follow the hoof prints."

Sitalkes, "Anyone who burns things could be dangerous. We should be careful."

Brasus, "You and I should go ahead."

Brasus and Sitalkes find the remains of a fire. There are animal droppings next to the fire as well as wagon tracks.

Sitalkes, "Why they do this is strange. They have large animals with them."

Brasus, "Victor Spear mentioned that men ride horses. I wonder if these are horses." We should go back to the others.

Back with the traders.

Cenric, "We need to find shelter. There is a settlement up ahead. Maybe we can ask them about this."

Sitalkes, "I have a bad feeling about this."

Brasus, "You are worrying to much. We should let the gods decided. Most likely fortune will be on our side."

The trade expedition continues down the path marked by stones. They are slowly moving ahead. As they approach the village they hear screaming and men howling like wolves.

Cenric, "Let us get off the road. We must be quiet. These people are good people."

Sitalkes, "I will go ahead with three men to see what is happening. We must be quiet. Three of the warriors from Oak and Sitalkes slip into the woods. They move quietly through the underbrush practicing their hunting skills. They are careful where they place their feet."

They can see into a field. There is a tall man on horseback with a bronze headed axe. He is pointing at a group of young men who have tied up several women who are screaming. They are being pushed into the back of several horse carts. The dead bodies of several men are lying on the ground. The dead men have a mix of copper and stone axes. They are smaller than the men with horses. The men with the horse carts are speaking in a guttural language and howling. Once the women are in the carts, they immediately start leaving.
Sitalkes signals for silence. The men in the horse carts seem to be in a hurry. As soon as the women are put in the carts, they start moving away from the settlement.

Sitalkes and his men wait quietly for about ten more minutes. Then a large group of men and women shows up with bows, stone and copper axes. The horsemen are gone. One of the men looks over the dead. Several of the people are crying. Then they start arguing.

Sitalkes goes back to Cenric, "It is dangerous to travel through this area. These people look like raiders. They remind me of the Yamnaya. They have horses and steal women."

Cenric, "We need to get past this place. It is not our conflict. It is important that we get home."

Brasus, "We cannot wander through these woods. The horsemen move quickly, faster than we can run. How do we avoid them."

Sitalkes, "We could travel by river. We could make rafts. It might take time to make rafts but it would be safer than being caught in the open."

Brausus, "Do not think you can avoid them easily. We do not know where they come from yet."

Sitalkes, "We need to get away from here quickly though." They move quickly past the village. They take care to circle around any villages they find and stay in the woods. It is slower travel, but they get to the river.

The trading expedition is near the Dnieper river where there is a fishing village. They come out of the woods seeking to trade. The fishermen seem very anxious. It looks like a new wooden stockade is going up around the village where there was none before. The villagers have spears and bows ready as well as some copper and stone axes.

The village chief, " You are traders in amber. I recognize the one named Cenric. We wish to purchase copper and bronze. We will offer you amber, wood, and silver for copper or bronze."

Cenric, "Why do you wish so much for copper and bronze. You do not look like you are rich or are warriors."

The village chief, "The Kurgan have come and they are raiding villages for women. They have no wives and come from the east. They burn the forest and raid the villages. When we try and stand and fight, they disappear into the woods on their horses. Many small villages have been destroyed. It is not safe to go outside the walls. Many larger villages have had their crops destroyed which they kept outside the walls."

Sitalkes ask Cenric, "What are they saying?"

Cenric, "The Kurgan have been raiding the villages for wives." Sitalkes rubs his chin.

Cenric, "We will give you copper if you build us boats so we can travel on the river. Why do you not move to islands in the river."

The village chief, "We have always lived here. It would be hard on us to move. We will fight so that we can stay where our ancestors are. Although we do understand the suggestion."

Sitalkes, "If they are taking wives, it looks like they are staying here. We need to move quickly. They may not decide to kill us, instead we could become their slaves."

Cenric speaking to the village chief, "We are more than glad to help. If you want to, we will even help with building the boats. We hope to leave as soon as possible."

That day, they offer what copper they have for silver and labor to make rafts. Some of the villagers come to Cenric after the chief goes back into the village.

A man dressed in furs with a bow and copper headed spear speaks, "It is not safe to be here. Some of us wish to leave here. We will offer you what we have if you will take us up the river. We even will offer a few boats. This will allow us to leave quicker. There are many Kurgan in the woods."
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:38 am

Grace Kinoshita (9 years, 8 months)

Imperial Court

Once a week, Ruyanpe would allow an audience with one of the citizens of Toyooka to approach me and the council about an important issue. I thought that I should continue the trend, in order to let the people of the city know that their Mikoto was still here, still ruling them benevolently. The imperial court breathed heavily as they saw me enter the room, this had been the first time most of them had seen me since I had dismembered the Shinkyo priest. It didn't require a diviner to sense the tension in the air.

With a flick of my hand, I signaled the guards to allow the guest to enter the room, taking my seat in the center. Memories ran through my mind, the past nine years of living in this new yet old world. The sights and smells, triumphs and defeats, the people and animals. I wasn't paying attention when the nun entered the room. A small woman, her hair dyed a greenish color for whatever reason. She must've been no older than twenty.

“I am Ayako of the Lotus Land lineage.” the nun announced, her head tilted downward to avoid looking me in the eye. Either out of modesty or she knew what I did to monks who made me angry.

“Continue,” I replied, already annoyed. Maybe it was because green wasn't my favorite color, perhaps it was because I had already had a bad time dealing with other sects. Or maybe I was just sour that Ruyanpe had ran off.

“My liege,” Ayako said. “I must intercede on behalf of the slaves.” some in the court could be heard giggling behind their sleeves, perhaps finding it amusing that a holy person would be wasting their time on something so lowly as slaves. “I assure you, it's not funny.” her tone became more assertive. “The slaves barely have enough to eat. Their rations have been reduced immensely. They're put to work on hard labor but aren't provided enough food or shelter from the elements. If things aren't changed in the next couple of weeks, most of them will die.”

“Are you a nun or are you a slave?” one of the councilors jeered. Toranosuke, not a brave fellow, he merely said whatever Susam told him to say.

Ayako looked at him indignantly. “I am someone who cares about other people and can't stand to see them suffer.”

“Their lives don't mean anything to me.” I replied. The nun's saddened face reminded me too much of Retar's... “But it would be inconvenient if they were to die. More lodging and food will be provided for them.” the court was disappointed with the ruling, but after the incident last time, seemed to think it best not to air their grievances to me.

“Thank you, Your Grace.” the nun bowed again, this time happily.

When everyone else had departed from the throne room except my council, I immediately dove into what was really on my mind. “Where is Ruyanpe?” I asked but none of them had an answer for me. “Aren't you supposed to have eyes across the whole empire? You can't find one of the most recognizable girls in the whole country?”

“Try as we might, we have not been able to find her, Mikoto.” Haru, the minister of intelligence, replied. The youngest member of the council, she was sensitive to accusations of naivety or inexperience. “The last anyone saw her was when she darted out of Toyooka. We believe she might have gone eastward to the land of the barbarians.”

I didn't want to believe it, she couldn't really leave me, could she? We'd been together for so long, Ruyanpe felt as close to me as my right hand.

“The boy, Makoto, doesn't seem to have had contact with her at all.” Haru said before glancing at Shinryu. “Although he has been meeting with our chief priest at abnormal hours.”

“He is a very devout person.” Shinryu replied in a calm tone.

“Really, I haven't seen him at the temples or saying prayers.” Haru's disposition was equally calm, but there was undoubtedly an accusative tone in her voice.

“Some prefer to worship the Buddha on the inside instead of the golden statues at the temples.” Shinryu said, closing the matter since they could both tell that I had lost interest.

“Just, keep an eye out for her, okay?” I said, rubbing my eyes in an attempt to not let the council see my emotions. “If you find her, bring her back to me. Tell her that I still love her and that she's the rightful co-ruler of Hana with me.” Susam seemed annoyed but I ignored him. I was in no mood for political intrigue today. Nodding at Haru and Shinryu, I rose. “I am retiring for my quarters until tomorrow. Nobody disturb me until then.” I left with my guards.
Temple

“Dammit, where did she go.” Shinryu paced around the empty temple, trying to recite the sutras to calm himself but failing in the effort. It seemed like everything was caving in on him. He tossed the rosary beads aside out of sheer frustration.

At around that time, Makoto entered. “It's not very priestly for a monk to curse.”

“@#$%,” Shinryu retorted. “You know they were asking about you. They've seen us together. You have to be more careful with how you come to meet me.” he breathed heavily and finally managed to calm down for at least a few moments. “Do you have any clue where she is?”

“No, all I know is that she was angry.” Makoto said, remembering how he had seen her storming through the streets before she had left.

“And you didn't think to stop her?”

“That whole family is terrifying when they're mad.” Makoto replied indignantly. “I heard that they descended from bears, or wolves, or dragons, or something. Half of it I believe is true. I'm not going to get in the way of one of them when they're angry.” Shinryu sighed, looking at the statue of the Buddha for guidance. “He's not going to talk to you, you know.” he said jokingly to the monk. “Do you even think he's real?”

“I hope he is,” Shinryu replied wistfully.

“Hoping isn't the same as thinking.”

“Did you risk us being discovered just to come here and badger me about my beliefs?” Shinryu demanded, his temper flared like the beast he was named after. “In case it slipped your memory, you lost us our one trump card against Susam. We're more exposed now than we ever were. Now we don't have the sanctity of the Mikoto's cousin to save us if we're caught.”

The two of them were interrupted by a shout outside...
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:48 pm

What fear had they for men?

10 years 7 months since arrival...

Road from Stranix to Heims

Chief Georrge was dead. The ancient leader of the Danarran had finally passed during the early hours of morning, three days ago. That was what had been told to me, anyways, by the exhausted runner who had made the three day journey from the Danarran town of Heims to Stranix in only a single day.

Gray clouds had rolled over the sky, and tepid rain drops sprinkled down upon our heads as we marched along the path - sixty six men and six horses moving westward. The he day long awaited had finally come. The soldiers had been at a state of readiness for weeks - hair kept closely shaven, rucksacks sewn tight, weapons sharpened, food stores kept open on stand by, and each man having prepared himself mentally to leave his clan behind for possibly weeks on end. When the call to assemble had been made yesterday morning, each man had been ready - saying their goodbyes and receiving the blessings of their kin before securing for themselves their armaments and tools for combat. A few rousing words and a briefing on the campaign ahead had been all that I or the other leaders of the Army could offer before setting out on the path westward just before dawn. Time was of the essence.

I rode at the front of our procession atop Jacob. My casual black garments I had forsaken for plain hide and wool cloths; pieces intended to brave the conditions of the wild, things intended to face the grime and dirt of harsh living. I listened to the sound Jacob's hooves plodding rhythmically along the dirt path, as well as those of his five children who followed close behind. My stead had been quite busy over the past few years being made to father the first generation of domestic Ablan horses. A privilege it was that he might go off to war with his own sons close behind, some of the chargers surmised. The giddy feeling I had had a few days ago in anticipation of this day had left me. As we bounced along the road to Heims, I could only my neck and spine go rigid in anxiety... and if I was being frank, fear.

We'd had no choice but to begin moving out as quickly as possible. As the message had described it to me, few days ago, Georrge's body had not even gone cold before the brothers Haston and Weylin begun to squabble among one another - arguing over who should be the one to light their father's funeral pyre. The arguing had escalated to the point were daggers had nearly been drawn between the two. Bloodshed had been avoided though, at that moment at least, by the intervention of Haston's now numerous allies and supporters, whom had peacefully urged Weylin to let go of the matter, and to favor the third. Weylin, more likely due to his being outnumbered rather than out of respect for the so-called prophecy, or any idea of decency, had chosen to storm out of Heims and towards his homestead just outside of the town. It was well known that he had began to gather his loyal supporters around him - their hands ready and eager for war.; an effort mimicked by Haston and his own brood of supporters. Neither brother had chosen to attack the other's camp though quite yet - each, seeming to lie in wait for the arrival of the Army.

Haston, to await my support; Weylin, so as not to waste strength before having to face the true battle between my soldiers and his warriors.

I felt as the hood around my head began to soak up more and more of the sprinkling rain, how air around me began to get muggy and hot, how my heart began to beat hard and to hurt. I was truly scarred. Weylin wasn't going to be another naked savage painted blue and running through the forest like an animal. He'd be camouflaged, he'd be coordinated, he'd have iron weapons. All things he'd learned from observing the Army. Even the number of his warriors was likely similar to our own. This was going to be most difficult campaign I'd yet fought. Never before had defeat been so distinct a possibility.

I held my tongue though, and my breath never faltered. I never spoke a word of my fears, or anxieties. Not to the lieutenants, not ot Teaghan, not even to Conwanna. I was the commander, the mighty and terrible hand of the Ablan, I had no fear. Something which I had to remind myself of as my body began to cover in stress sweat on the otherwise cool summer day.

I looked over my shoulder at the chargers who rode just beside me. Their leather and iron masks were strung down along their sides, not being necesary until they were truly charging through the forests and fields - though they still wore the protective hide and wool armor across their torso, arms, and legs. The armor was less about combat, and more of a safety precaution, as getting whipped by sticks and branches through the forest at 20 miles an hour could and would cause a number of injuries.

Their stead's trappings were simple, things I remembered from my days living on a farm and had enough idea of how to craft: a bit collar for the head, a girth which served to hold down a blanket and connect the reigns to the bit collar, stirrups connected up to the girth, and a tug to hold any supplies which the chargers carried along with them. They were fearless soldiers, innately so - a necessary quality for men involved in a profession which demanded one ride into battle atop a veritable monster of muscle and sinew. Their faces were stern and stoic as they looked forward, their wicked 8ft lances patting by their side with each step of their beast. They were not afraid. They rode atop monsters - what fear had they for men?

I turned my gaze forward once more. I bit down on my lip, and tightened the grip around my reigns. I will be victorious, there is no other option. My soldiers will slay any savage that stands in their way, and then all will be well.

I repeated this mantra to myself for hours upon hours, until I believed it ( or at least, I thought I did ). This campaign would be the test for the last eight years of my labor. All my work and suffering would be brought finally to bare before Weylin and his warriors. My vision of a virtuous society, built upon strength and duty, depended upon this campaign. Victory was my only option!
Last edited by Joohan on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Papavero
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Papavero » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:16 pm

Wesley Morgan

Chapter 1
-
Those Without Desire

The lights turned off as the key was plunged out of the ignition. Wesley stepped out of his average Honda Civic after hours of waiting in the worst part of his day, the D.C. traffic. He pulled open the rear driver-side door, the one with the ding on the side from the Starbucks parking lot. He reached inside and pulled out his computer bag, stuffed full of reports, stats, graphs, and other tidbits of information from the past three meetings.

Today had been awful, back-to-back meetings slowed what is normally a joyful day of solitude, reading instead of listening. Sarah wouldn't stop lecturing about the issues regarding the Indian border. Wesley thought there were only a handful of ways to talk about border skirmishes that almost no one in the world hears about, but he was wrong, there were plenty enough to make the meeting run over. His lackluster lunch was cut short by a call, his friend from home called to ask if he wanted to join the boys this summer on a retreat, something about God and renewed faith. Wesley hadn't been listening. "Yeah, sure. I'll think about," he mentioned as he ended the phone call.

When he got back to his desk he was only interrupted again and again, questions about this, inquiries about that. By five he shuffled to his car, woefully behind on his briefs and routines that he had given up. Usually he would have taken the work home, poured over the extra workload with a coffee well into the night. But he didn't. Today, for Wesley, had been awful and he couldn't bring himself to think that it was the job he had chosen - no, that was his goal ever since Dr. McMennis had told him about the internship with the department. He started up his car and turned on his podcasts. For the next two hours he endured the daily slog of traffic around the Beltway. It was seven by the time he had drug himself in the house, tossing his pack over one of the chairs in his apartment's kitchen. From there he opened the fridge, he knew exactly what he was after. All day the microwave fried chicken meal was waiting him. He popped it in the microwave and trodded into his living room, cluttered with papers and work that was incomplete.

Pushing papers aside, he made a little place for his drink and the hot plastic meal container to rest. Biting into the steaming leg, its rubbery chicken filling his mouth - now that was what Wes needed to feel better. He sipped on his soda, diet like all the other men in the office drank. On the television there was some drama about the President. He was arguing this or that and Congress seemed to be making the case for that or this. It didn't matter, in the end Wesley would do what was required of him, no matter who got elected or who sat in which seats. He was a bureaucrat, doing his duty day in and day out.

He gulped down the last of the fizzling drink as it sweated in his hand right after picking the final shred of chicken from his teeth. Normally he would clean up his mess and get to work, but he was in the mood for a nap. Naps weren't really his preference for an evening activity, but it was what he wanted that day. As he stared onward at the suit-clad politicians his eyes started to dart and then fade in and out. "An hour or two, that's all," he thought to himself. Then he was gone - gone from it all.

Chapter 2
-
The River's Phantoms

Gasping - hit hard and struck in the gut. Jolting pain - no throbbing - no searing and throbbing. Wesley sat up and was first distracted by the shooting pain that engulfed his head. He had been prone to headaches, but this was far worse than those. He searched his hand through his hair, pulling his hand away and checking for blood - none. At first he thought he was just hurt but then he looked down. He saw - himself. His body was bare - he was naked. Without a second's notice his hand had moved to instinctively cover the important bits that were exposed. Then the third realization hit, the most important by far. He wasn't on a couch in a cramp, damp, apartment somewhere in Maryland. He was in wooded area, surrounded by trees that looked foreign but familiar at the same time. There was something making noise, more noise than the wind that rushed through the spotty foliage above.

With the fear of nature embedded inside of him, and the tact of an injured man, Wesley took his first steps to stand, managing to bring himself upright after a few moments. He hobbled to a tree. Something had made him weak - almost nervous about walking without any protection. The gradual slope of the hill led him lower and lower, past tree after tree, and over branches and nature's flooring. Then his foot sank - that moist dirt filling around his step. He pulled back only to be covered in a yellowish-brown paste that was clustered with rocks and small wood chunks. Shocked, he fell on his ass. When he landed the world fell on top of him, another gasp, another rivet dug deeper into the painful headache that was now making him shake. In front of him was a raging river, tinted with something so that it looked nothing like the creeks he had seem growing up in the States.

Then a sound noticeably stopped stirring to his side. With a single glance Wesley made eye contact with a boy, short and obviously Asian. The boy's hair was cut in a bowl-cut and his nose was somewhat flat. His ears were big but his lips were bigger. He held a basket in his right hand and the left one was open at his side, stopped in awe at the sight of Wesley. Neither moved, neither flinched or saw any need to say anything. It was a moment of pause before the boy had seen enough. He took off, turning to sprint. His sandals kicking up the same mud Wesley was now covered in. Within a few seconds he had disappeared around the bend in the treeline. There was obvious sounds coming from the direction the boy had ran. "Bàba - zà n-" the sounds were enough for Wesley to get a hint of Asian in the tones. He did his best to stand up but the mud and the headache now acted as two difficult barriers for him to overcome. Eventually he did, although he was far rough for the wear. His hands were cut in several places and his naked body was now spotted with mud and the pasty residue of where it once clung to his back.

After a few minutes of taking in the river and the path he had slowly blazed through the terrain he decided to see if the boy's direction would be of any use to him. He stepped with the continuing drag of the mud holding back his pace. By the time he had gotten to the bend the boy had disappeared behind he was winded, at best, exhausted at the worst. He looked down at his mud-caked feet and his clean toenails now sweltering in the lukewarm mud. Luckily for Wes the path of the boy's feet were quite obvious in the silty shore of the river. It was clear that the following of the boy was not imperative, though Wes still wanted to see where the path led. However, his instincts took over. He climbed the slope again and found a smooth tree to rest his back against. Then it happened again, he was there one moment and the next his eyes were fluttering. Wes was breathlessly relieved as he slipped into another sleep. Now he would go home.

The crackling of leaves woke Wes, well into his natural rest. He once again slowly found his eyes opening, and almost smiled when he saw his co- three men standing with spears pointing at him. One's spear was far too close for comfort. Wesley shriveled, crawling his back up against the tree as the men stood formidably over him. Shyly glancing between two of the men's legs was the boy from earlier.

"Is this him Píng," grunted the hairy man, looking at Wesley with the contempt of an executioner.

"Yes, Bàba. He is the one who was wrestling on the shore," the boy meekly stuttered as a reply.

"Sick bastard," the mustached one commented, "I say we end this pervert her-"

"Shut up you idiot, Jié will want to see him," interrupted the largest of the three, "or else he would've told us to kil-"

"Don't kill him! He did not lay any hands upon me," the young boy shot back at the two. He obviously felt as if he was being attacked in some way, and his defensive tone struck Wesley. He could understand them.

"Nĭ hăo," he spoke, almost relaxed that they spoke Chinese.

The men, surprised by this, refocused their attention on him. The mustached man said to the group, "Look, and he speaks some barbarian's language! Fools to not just end this white devil's life here."

"Bù, bù, wŏ shuō Zhōngguó huà," Wesley said with a tinge of frantic nervousness in his voice. Why couldn't they understand their language. The larger of the men laughed at the noises of their newfound captive. The others chuckled, except for the boy.

The hairy one ordered the other two, "grab him. Maybe Jié will know what he shouting about." The other two men set upon Wes and grabbed at both of his arms. Wesley struggled, but it seemed like it was of little use. The two men had control of him and started parading him back through the woods, eventually finding a worn path that cut through several downed trees. The boy, who Wesley knew as Píng, followed behind the grouping. It was a considerable walk, and Wesley did not get the idea that anyone was going to let him rest. He looked down at his bleeding feet below, how the red and blended with the drying mud of the river's shores.

Then he looked up, and he saw an end to the forest, and end to the trees that had shaded the men from him. A sunken road stretched out into the blinding bright light. From the trees, on either side of the band, there were emerging shadows. This time it was not only men and boys, but women too. His glances caused the hairy guard to deliver a swift and sudden strike to the back of his head, "eyes forward boy," he snapped. The other two chuckled some more, finding humor in Wesley's growing suffering. Wesley's head swelled with a pain that only added to his current headache. He let out an audible groan as they made their final steps and proceeding into the opening that revealed what was hidden behind the light, huge fields for farming and a small village nestled between fields of millet.

Chapter 3
-
Jié

Píng took off on the now raised road, plowed land covered in rising grains such as millet on either side of the mound they walked upon. It looked like Píng had run off with his friends but within a few moments the band of seven or so boys was tailing the group, gossiping in quiet whispers over why he looked so weird and if someone had cursed him. The one boy claimed his uncle had been cursed and his hair had turned a lighter brown like Wesley's, but the other boys shewed the story off.

The two men paraded Wesley up to the cloth covering of a house dug into the dirt. The plaster walls of the house showed their weathering but were adorned with decorations that the other houses, from what Wes could see, were lacking. Men and women alike had gathered along with the troop of boys to gaze at the forest man the local men had drug in. The hairy one, his beard scruffy and his hand unkempt, pushed aside the curtain and entered, letting out a gust of the tent's scented smokey contents. A few minutes passed, as the crowd grew in size and noise. The two men on either side of Wesley talked to a few in the crowd. "He was sleeping with a tree and wrestling the mud, we all saw it," one said. "Naked men are barbarians, we should've killed him and seen why he was cursed to begin with," the other stated flatly. "Will someone get him a cloth," a women cried from the back. While he waited Wesley began to theorize why they couldn't understand him despite the fact he spoke their language. And the clothes, the people were all dressed like peasants. The huts seemed old-fashioned, to say the least. Why was it like this? China was not this bad. Maybe he wasn't in China at all?

The hairy man pushed aside the flap and nodded to the men who guided Wesley inside of the central hut of the village. Once inside the men forced him to his knees, his body bowed. When he looked at the clean floor below him he heard a voice speak. "You aren't from here, are you?" The calm tone almost soothed Wesley into glancing up, but he didn't dare. He breathed and spoke in English, hoping they would understand something of the universal language.

Then it happened, his mouth moved and formed words he had never heard before. They had a vaguely similar sound to Chinese but the word order, the tones, the words and their meanings changed. He understood it, but it wasn't Chinese to him - at least the kind he had spent years of his life mastering. "No," he said in a defeatist voice. The hairy men looked to the mysterious man in front of Wesley.

"Nà you said he did not speak our language," the mysterious man said almost in an angered mood.

Nà, the hairy one, seemed choked on his thoughts. His compatriots seemed equally as confused by the situation and the white man's ability to reproduce their dialectic version of ancient Chinese, or modern for their times. "He couldn't Master Jié, I swear this to you! He muttered only noises of a barba-"

The mysterious man cut him off, "you can do better than this Nà." Jié spoke to the two men, still forcing Wes to bow. "Let him go you bloody morons, he obviously can speak more languages than you grunts!" With that the hands fled off of Wesley as birds take flight from an impending danger. He slowly raised his head until he could see the elderly Chinese man sitting on a woven and wooden stool, his hands touching either of his spread knees. The old man had greyed hair and a more pointed nose than the rest of the villagers Wesley had seen. His eyes were a deep brown but his body was frail and elderly. "You can sit up you know, nothing I have not seen before," the old man quipped to Wes.

"Yes sir," Wes responded, which was met with a bit of disagreement from the man on the stool.

He responded, "My name is Master Jié and this is Báilóngguò. How did you come to be here," he paused waiting for Wesley to say his name.

In a force of habit Wes replied with his Chinese name, that obviously worked for the naming scheme: "Wéisī."

"Well, Wéisī, I suppose we have quite the discussion ahead of us, but I don't intend to do it with you naked." The largest of the guards was gestured to first. Jié said, "Shū, go and gather something for our guest to wear." Jié then turned to the mustached critic of Wesley and ordered, "Fēn find some noodle to serve to the guest." Both scampered off and Nà took his place alongside Jié in a reserved seat to his side.

Jié smiled at the man they knew as Wéisī, "We've been waiting for you."
Last edited by Papavero on Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Grace Kinoshita

“My daughter informed me that she became a nun.” Susam said, voice dangerously low for the first time ever. The council room was extraordinarily quiet despite an emergency meeting having been called. Grace was not there, having departed to her quarters and being fast asleep, although that might have been a blessing, Shinryu considered. It was never a good idea to get her involved in these conflicts. “That.... wench, convinced her to renounce her titles and position and become a wandering monastic.”

“...” Shinryu looked over at Haru, who ironically shared his nervousness. Still, he had to speak. “I'm truly sorry. In my school,” he said, realizing that the diplomatic approach was best. “We require that children obtain the permission of their parents before being ordained.” it was not a good idea to let young people make that decision themselves, Shinryu thought, although he recognized the irony considering his own family history. “But you can't.”

“Can't!? I'm the @#$% Chancellor of this Empire I can do whatever I please.” Susam banged his hand against the table, yelling out all of his titles to them. “I'll behead the witch myself if I have to.” Haru almost burst out laughing at the idea of the corpulent chancellor managing to wield a blade long enough to kill somebody. If he had not been in a rage, Susam might have noticed. “She will die.”

“The Lotus Land Sect is already upset over the continuation of slavery,” Shinryu said, hoping that he would see reason. “If we behead their leader now, especially after what happened to that monk a week before, it will be a disaster.”

“If they cause trouble, their whole sect will be put to the spear.” Susam declared, it was then that Shinryu realized he was not going to get through to this man. There had to be someone else who he could go to, someone who would see reason and release the prisoner. He gulped when he realized what that meant.

The two guards stopped Shinryu before he even reached the door. “The Mikoto does not wish to be disturbed right now.” one, a girl of around nineteen, informed him as he waited outside the door. “You had better make yourself vanish priest if you know what's good for you.” she spoke in a Hanamura dialect, Shinryu realized.

“This is urgent, sisters. It's a matter of state that can't wait for tomorrow.” he replied in the same dialect. “The future of all of Hana could depend on it.” the second guard looked over to the first, who was silent for a second before allowing him to pass.

The room was a lot less extravagant than Shinryu would have thought it was. There were very little things in there. He winced as he felt a sharp pain in his foot and realized that he had stepped on a shard of pottery. “My liege.” Grace stared at him from the bed, dangerously quiet. “I needed to speak with you.”

“I thought I told my guards not to allow anyone in.” she replied, sitting up and staring at him with distrust. A knife lay next to her.

“It's an important issue, mikoto,” Shinryu said, holding his arms up slightly so that she could see he was unarmed. This was quite different from the ruler he saw ruling at the council or leading formations outside. This was someone paranoid, solitary, almost beastly. He started to realize why Makoto was so afraid of this family. “A few hours ago, Chancellor Susam arrested the nun of the Lotus Land sect, Ayako, from earlier.”

Grace listened, slightly confused. “Why would he have done that?”

“One of his daughters took the vows and became a nun because of her preaching.” Shinryu explained, hoping that his words would get through to her and make her realize the importance of what he was saying. “Mikoto, if another... if a leader of the community is killed, then there could be serious consequences. He wants to have her beheaded. You have to order him to stop.”

Nothing, silence. For ten minutes, Grace didn't utter a sound, simply staring into space. If she was even thinking, Shinryu didn't know. He worried that she was going to break into a scream and order him killed. Imagine his relief when she finally spoke. “I remember Ayako from this morning,” she said, remembering how much the girl reminded her of Retar. “Okay. Tomorrow, I'll issue a pardon to her. She will be permitted to rejoin the Lotus Land Temple, but I don't want her back in a position of authority. She's causing me a headache and making trouble with my ministers. It's a fair trade.”

“Thank you.”

“Now get out of my room before I have you burned at the stake.”

Shinryu nodded and bowed before running out of the room like a frightened cat.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:18 pm

Year 10 Month 10

Outside the walls next to Oak

Barabbas looked over the assembled tens. He is with Zia. Victor Spear is following Zia with his left and right hand. There were ten groups of ten. Barabbas walked up and down looking over each group of ten. Each group had a leader with a muscle cuirass and wolfshead helm. Behind the ten groups of ten were four tens of archers and two tens of staff slingers.

He called out to them, "You warriors, you are more than warriors. A warrior fights for himself for his own glory. You fight for your ten and your city, Oak. When you act together you win. This acting together makes you soldiers more than warriors. Show me how you act together.”

He walks to one of the group of ten. “Follow the directions. Spears forward strike. Step forward together. Step forward together. Turn right. Turn left. He walks up to one of the men calling out. Stay in line, stay together. Men who fight together win together." He walks to each group asking them to follow the directions and work together.

Then he calls out. “Change formation. Spearmen in front, archers behind you. Spearmen shields up. Protect the archers behind you. A bale of hay is brought out. Archers fire. The archers pepper the bale of hay with arrows. Staff slingers come forward. Throw." The staff slingers throw baseball size balls of stone at the bale.

He goes up to the first group of ten men. He points to a marker and says “charge together to the marker." The group chargers together to the marker which are tall wooden pole with shields hanging from it. As a group they strike the marker. He goes to each group and has them practice charging in armor as a group.”

Barabbas, “You know each other well. You have trained together. Get to know your brothers and fight with them. Form together two men deep.” A line forms with fifty men two men deep. Barabbas walks up and down the line with Zia. He looks at the line. Then he yells, “Walk together in unison to the marker and back, then charge the marker.”

Later that day, Zia, Barabbas, Diaghis, and Victor Spear meet at the Council of the Wise. There is a story from Varna. A trader from the trading post recounts a story.

Comosickus, “We were at the trading post in Varna when we noticed men in horseback passing Varna. They mostly came in small groups and passed the city. There were many small groups, ten or more groups a day for more than eight days. They had carts or were on horses. Some would bring in sheep to trade, butter, wool, leather, and dried fish. They were tall men mainly. I saw very few women. We had Enyo with us. The men would offer many sheep or even a few horses for Enyo's hand in marriage.
Varna had copied Oak recently putting up a double wall, one for its farmland and one for the town. They also had trained many warriors.

One night, a group of twenty Kurgan tried to attack the town at night. They came in quickly climbing over the walls trying to carry off the women in the fields and attacking the men. The archers and spearmen of Varna drove many of them away. A few of the women of the town were carried off. The Kurgan fought hard, many to the death. Only two were captured. They were valiant warriors.

Two days later a larger group of Kurgan came to the town. They did not want the two captives. They treated them like they were dead. They claimed to be of the Horse tribe, not the Wolf tribe which had attacked Varna the night before. I was not part of the negotiations. I heard their leaders name was Oleg.

Oleg wanted to settle near Varna. He promised that they would help keep the other Kurgan away. They just wanted a place to pasture their animals and the right to ask for wives from the local population. There were many men and few women among the Horse tribe. Some of the women from Varna had come out to see the Horse tribe. The men from the Horse tribe were tall and handsome and had horses and bronze.

We watched as more Kurgan passed the city of Varna. There were many of them. The village elders agreed to let the Horse Tribe stay but they had to have their own land and promise to help keep away the other Kurgan. At first this was a good arrangement. Then more Horse tribesmen came and their settlement outside grew in size. The Kurgan burned a large section of forest for pastureland for their sheep, cattle and horses.

Cosmosickus takes out a horse bridle, a blanket, a bronze headed javelin, and a bronze axe.

He says, “Enyo traded silver and salt for these. We have several of each of these. Enyo decided to leave because some of the Kurgan men were being too forward and she wanted to come back to see her family at Oak. Before I left, I had to claim she was my wife.“

Diaghis, “I will take these to the bronze worker and leather worker. Leonid should look at these.”

Victor Spear, “This is very interesting to us. We wish you to go back and bring back anything of theirs you can get. If you can get a few tribesmen to come to us that would be good as well. “

Trade and Exploration

The Dniester River

Sitalkes and the traders worked together to make rafts with the villagers. They were motivated because a group of farmers had come to the town as delegates for the Kurgan. The farmers told them that if they did not provide a tribute of women, fish, and amber to the Wolf tribe, they would attack the fishing village. The farmers looked tired and afraid. They had three moons to comply.

In two days, the trading expedition heads out onto the river. Many in the village chose to follow them as they headed out onto the river. They traveled as they could along the river at night, not stopping until half the day was spent on the opposite bank of the river.

Cenric and Sitalkes wanted to get as much distance as they could on the river during the next several days. Basaba collects seeds from Ash, Lime, and Hornbeam trees and makes notes on the different plants and animals asking Cenric to translate what the villagers know about them. He has some empty codexes which he writes notes in.

They fish in the river to extend their supplies. The fishing is excellent. Some of the men catch some pheasants, two gray hares, and a deer on the shore while they are resting. They also find an apricot tree. Basaba notes that there are large clay deposits near the river.

As they travel the river they stop at a small village on the edge of the river. People are using ards to till the ground. A hunting party has come back with a horse to cook. The hunters have attached clumps of grass and other vegetation with leather chords to their bodies.

There are cattle and some sheep. The houses are wattle and daub with thatch roofs. There are simple looms and handmade pottery. Cenric trades some of the fish they have caught for unleavened bread and oat porridge with milk and a little honey. Basaba offers spices for some oat seeds.

Basaba watches as a man uses a bone needle to make a sock. He points this out to Cenric who says it is something called nalbinding.

Cenric asks the village elders how things are going. They tell him that there are stories of horsemen to the south who come to take their women, enslave their men, and take their food. They are uncertain what to do. They have some copper for arrows and a few copper axes, but most of what they own is stone and obsidian.

They have lived in peace for a long time. They live quiet lives farming, praying to their gods, and raising their livestock. Sitalkes sits listening as Cenric and another of the traders translates the conversation. Some of the villagers wish to travel with the traders to seek help.

At the Gates of Ur

The expedition unloads their boats. They load their pack goats and an ox wagon and start heading to the Gates of Ur. It has been a long trip. Hopefully, the merchant, Humwawa will have someone waiting for them at the city gate.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Wilson James
Chapter II: The Trust

It had been a month, if I’m counting correctly, since I started living in this African village. I had used by knowledge of the future to help my tribe, and the Kamba tribe had flourished over the month. I taught the Kamba warriors to sharpen their stones, and even led some expeditions into caves to gather ore. While I wasn’t an expert at blacksmithing, I had basic knowledge of smelting and knew the ingredients to bronze, a strong metal, and it seems as if no other tribes in the area had it. I concluded I was in the stone age, based on this lack of bronze. This also explains why nobody has started farming yet.

Tin was easy to smelt, the tribe seemed amazed when I taught them how to smelt out tin using a basic campfire. Copper was harder, finding and identifying the ore in the first place was challenging enough, but once I got into it, we found lots of ore. Smelting copper was a challenge, as a wooden campfire didn’t work, we needed something hotter. The answer was a kiln, pottery did exist in very primitive forms at this time. I baked the ore in the mud kiln, smelting and getting copper. After some experimenting, I found the correct amount and showed the tribe the strength of bronze.

This gave the Kamba tribe a massive advantage against enemy tribes, as well as helping greatly in hunting. “Wilson, this new bronze can bring down an entire elephant!” Kitwana told me once, amazed. He had become a sort of a brother to me, having been the one to first discover “The one sent by the spirits.” That’s what Chief Fanaka referred to me as, and the tribespeople seemed to think I had a direct connection to the spirits. Of course, I don’t blame them, I had appeared naked out of nowhere in the middle of the savannah and showed them how to make a metal that can take down elephants over the course of a month.

Many nights however, I sobbed silently, realizing I would probably never see my sons again. My wife could go to hell, but my kids were my precious treasures, I realized I would most likely never have my old life back. I had no idea what the fuck happened or how to explain what was going on, but I tried to condition myself to just “go with the flow.” Not easy when you had two sons in your past life. I guess I’ll just have to wait a few millennia to see them again, hopefully time flies.

The new bronze weapons gave the Kamba tribe a massive advantage over their enemies as well. In the month I had been here, since I showed them bronze, the Kamba warriors had conquered many surrounding tribes. Even tribes that were peaceful were marched into and their warriors quickly defeated by the Kamba warriors, who would subsequently take control of the village and sack the locals. At first I tried to protest this murdering and primitive warfare, but I guessed this is how things work in this time. Almost every few days a messenger would return from a warrior party saying a village had been conquered. With the success of the tribe came admiration for me, the one who showed everyone this cool new metal called “bronze.”

Along with bronze, I introduced other things to the tribespeople too. I taught them how to build houses out of logs instead of grass, remembering the best I could from my knowledge. Good thing I had watched those viral primitive building videos. Eventually, the savannah became dotted with houses made out of logs, as more and more Kamba warriors went around conquering villages. The main village sort of became the capital city of this village cluster.

That brings us to today, when Kitwana came back with a large gash in his foot. “Wilson! Help!” He pleaded. I was shocked and confused at the same time, how would I help? “Wilson, you can do anything! Please save me! Pray to the spirits!” He continued. “I was attacked by an enemy warrior, he tore open my foot with his spear, help!” Kitwana pleaded more. I quickly remembered to first aid training. Apply a tourniquet first I remembered. I called to a tribesman that was watching, by now, a large mob had gathered around us, some were praying for Kitwana, while other were watching closely to see what the “Spirit’s Gift” would do. He brought back some tree fiber, which I wrapped into makeshift “yarn,” and tied it tightly around Kitwana’s leg. He let out a short yelp, but after a few seconds, the blood stopped gushing out. Kitwana hadn’t fallen unconscious yet, good signs. Now to close the wound, there were no band aids available, nor were there any stitches. I thought furiously, thinking of any thing I can use for sutures. Then I remembered an extremely obscure thing I had seen on the Discovery Channel a while ago, in many remote East African villages, even in the 21st century, when band aids were unavailable, they used ants. I tried to remember what they did exactly, but time was running out.

“Quick! Get an ant, someone!” I called to the mod that had gathered. Many gave confused looks, but someone went out and brought ants. “Here, Wilson.” I grabbed then and held them over Kitwana’s wound, “This will hurt, but it’s all I can do now” I told him. I called on someone to get water, and quickly washed off the wound before I began. Here goes nothing… I thought to myself as I began holding the ant up to the wound. The ant bit, and with it, it bit part of the wound shut with its powerful mandibles. I repeated with a few more ants, breaking off their bodies, leaving only their heads having closed the wound. After it was done, I took off the “tourniquet,” and waited. No more blood gushing out. I held Kitwana over the shoulder and walked him to a tree stump to sit. By this point, the entire village had gathered to witness the dramatic village, so I looked back at the crowd. They all stared openmouthed.

“These creatures can save people. They must be holy, sent by the great spirits themselves!” Chief Fanaka said. Did I just start a religion? “And you, you must be an incarnate of the spirits…” He said looking at me.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:23 pm

The awful and shaking noise

10 years and 7 months after arrival...

Westerlands

Weylin had disappeared shortly before i'd arrived to Heims. His camp, having been scouted by Haston's warriors, was found to have been completely abandoned - not a man or woman in sight. As I sat upon my rucksack, a group of my lieutenants and Haston's warriors circled around me, we scrutinized a rough ( and quite frankly, unsatisfactory ) sheepskin map of the westerlands - a tiresome task which I had been at all day.

We'd arrived outside Heims before dawn that day. The Danarran patriarchs, and chiefs of the westerlands, considered Heims their official home - a town similar in size to Stranix, though perhaps not as developed - certainly iron tools were less common. The Army itself would not enter into the city, rather, we would be met outside by Haston's entourage. A foreign army marching through the streets of the Heims would be seen as a vindication of Weylin's claims about the Ablan - better that we stay out in the wilderness around the town.

The news of Weylin and company having seemingly disappeared from their own camp over night had been extremely troubling to me. No indication of where they might have gone to was given by Haston's men, though we were told that they could count some 70 warriors among their number ( 4 more than what I had brought ). He had more men than me, knew the land better than my own forces ( though perhaps not Haston's warriors ), and I'd had no idea where he was. Things were not starting well for my first day in the westerlands.

The sun had fallen below the trees, evening's orange and gold outline peering through the forest and brush that surrounded my small camp. I'd had three platoons set up here, while two more were out on patrols to try and scout for Weylin's warriors, and another was working under the command of Haston's forces in their endeavor's. The chargers were also present here at the camp - were I was sure that they would act more as a supporting unit rather than as an individual attacking force.

I knew that there would be no sleep tonight, not for me, not so long as Weylin's warriors roamed hidden around the countryside - ready to strike any moment. For me, there would be no rest, not till I knew exactly where my enemy lay.

My waiting would be over though, heralded in the distance by a single running figure - a soldier at full sprint, covered in a sheen of blood,

His arms shook with exhaustion and desperate adrenaline, thrusting his spear in and out toward the baying savages in front of him. The foot ( rank equivalent to private, and lowest rank within the Army ) pressed himself shoulder to shoulder, back to back, with what few comrades remained, surrounded by dozens of wild eyed warriors - kept back only by the end's of their spears. The enemy circled about them, jumping and howling like beasts, pounding their weapons and bare flesh, barring their teeth and uttering guttural growls. Wild haired, and yellow eyed, knotted beards and grimy coats, they are wolves in human form, the soldier foot thought to himself! One of these beasts stepped forward from his pack; a graying and bowl bellied man who wore an uncounted number of bone fetishes round his neck, their hollow and chalk like clamor ringing out as he raised a great ax high above his head - angled to cleave the soldier's skull in two. Just as the gray warrior brought his ax up to it's highest point, the soldier foot stepped forward, thrusting his spear true, upward and into the warrior's throat with a thud. The gray warrior's eye's widened in shock, has he looked down to behold the face of the boy who had killed him. His ax dropped to the ground behind him, his arms to weak to hold it up any longer. He attempted to utter a word, but it was only blood that came forth from his mouth - mixing into the tears that dripped down from his eyes. In one single motion, the boy stepped back, wrenching the spearhead from the gray-warriors throat, a rush of blood spurting forth from the now free and open wound, soaking his bone fetishes and the Earth below with red. As his immense form fell forward into the dirt, already behind him, the soldier foot could see even more warriors crowding, practically crawling over one another, to take his place at the front.

He was so tired, they all were. They'd been fighting for what seemed like hours, with no rest or respite. For every enemy fallen there would be another to take his place and at your back. They had been out scouting ahead of the rest of the Army, searching for signs of where might Weylin's forces had disappeared to. They hadn't needed to look far though before the answer had come to them. Out from the forest and brush they had rushed forward, Weylin's warriors, like vermin fleeing from their den, throwing themselves into wild and frenzied attacks upon his platoon. They had attempted to face them down in one on one combat, but their sheer numbers proved too much to overcome, soldiers being quickly surrounded and slain by dozens of warriors. The birdsong whistle to, Form circle, had rung out clearly over the raging and chaotic battle, causing every soldier to beeline their way toward the origin of it's sound. Pressed up shoulder to shoulder, back to back, stepping carefully not to trip over the bodies which littered the forest floor, they'd held their circle against the furious onslaught, stalemating the bloody fray. Every warrior who'd attempted to probe or break their circle of spears had been cut down the moment they broke from their comrades - a circle of the dead and dying surrounding the battered and weary Ablan soldiers. Their safety could not last though. They numbered no more than six men, tired and near collapse from the rage of unceasing combat. Their enemies were still in the dozens, undeterred by the ring of fallen allies around the Ablan, eager for death.

The soldier foot locked eyes with the man who'd come to take the gray warrior's place: a boy only just older than he, his blond hair tied around beads and knotted with leaves, underneath a sheen of mud and dust, he could see dark tattoo's clashing with his flesh. The boy raised up his own spear, leveling it towards the soldier. Their eyes locked, the boy bared his teeth with a hiss, while the soldier but pressed his lips and lowered a glare towards his opponent. Before their spears might have clashed though, the sound of a roaring patter could be heard over the clamor of battle. The noise seemed so out of place that both the soldier and the boy held back from their duel to listen to the sound. All around the soldiers circle combat stopped, as the whole entourage of Weylin's warriors and the beleaguered soldiers listened to the rapidly approaching thudding and patting sound. It was coming from the east, and as the warrior's heads began to turn, the soldiers shared side long looks between one another - an acknowledgment beyond hope at what that thunderously approaching sound might be! Finally, from over the tops of the warrior's heads, the soldier foot was able to sight - Yes! - They were saved! - it was the chargers!

Weaving in and out between the trees, jumping high and over rocks and gnarled roots, the chargers sped through the cloistered wood, proving their namesake. The needle like spearhead atop the end of their long lances glinted in the final lights of dusk. The iron plate that covered all but their eyes looked almost black in the evening shadows, their protective armor giving them form and muscle beyond their otherwise lithe figures. Their steads, their monsters of war, the sons of Jacob, pounded the earth with each thunderous step - their's being the bodies which so gracefully danced through the brush and wood, their great bulks of muscle and sinew twisting and bobbing with ease.

Men atop monsters, Weylin's warriors froze in terrible awe. Their speed, their size, the awful and shaking noise, the murderous air that followed in their wake. It was only in the final moments before the chargers fell upon them that they were able to break from their spells through sheer terror alone - too late.

The carnage would end in moments, but the soldier had seen it all happen slowly. A man's chest would burst forth with blood as a long iron needle exploded outward; another, who had been pushed out of the way by his comrades, would be trampled under hoof, each downward stomp sending up an arc of blood and bone from his shattered body; one brave warrior would turn to try and face down the charger's assault, only to be caught with the lance's needle tearing across his face the moment he had turned, spinning his body around in a full circle towards the soldier foot - his face torn beyond anything recognizable as man. The charger's furious attack would seize as soon as it had began - their lieutenant holding up his hand, commanding to hold position. Weylin's warriors fled back into the brush from whence they had first came - leaving their injured behind, running and screaming for their lives.

As the lieutenant's hand had went up, it was as though a spell had been lifted from the soldier foot, releasing him from the trance which had overtaken him at the sudden carnage of the scene. With tepid and fearful caution, his spear still held at the ready, he looked about the carnage around him. A circle of dead and dying men lay about he and his comrades, the ground awash in blood and filth. Beyond the circle, there were yet still more bodies - warriors collapsed over his comrades corpses, distinguished by their shaven heads and camouflaged cloths. It was only as more dismounted soldiers had begun to flood in from the east, did the young soldier foot lower his spear, the full weight of his weariness and exhaustion finally being felt. His cloths were covered in sweat, mud, and blood; his muscles ached as they never had before; his spear had never been heavier.

He'd won, his platoon had held out, they'd survived - a thought which comforted him as he slowly began to fall face forward into the earth, blissful shadows gathering around his sight.

The left side of his head felt like it was splitting in two, a sharp and violent ache that brought tears to his eyes. He had been lying upon his back, his mind being brought forth from unconsciousness by the seering pain he felt in his head. As shadows began to leave his eyes, he had recalled the world being brighter. Only a sliver of orange light came to him - and even this was clouded by the still receding vestiges of unconsciousness. He brought his hand up to his face, an attempt to regain some feeling beyond his present aching pain. What he felt though was wet - long wet trails streaking down across the left side of his face! He continued to move his hand along these long streaks up until the pain in his head suddenly exploded! He bit the inside of his cheek till he tasted blood, and would grasp down at the earth with a bone cracking might! After a few moments, the pain would recede back to it's previous mere dull aching, allowing him to finally piece together what had happened to him.

He'd remembered crossing spears with one of the Ablan warriors, attempting to break their circle and slaughter them from the inside. As he and the Ablan warrior had clashed, the Earth had been slick with blood and he had slipped for but a mere moment. He did recall though how, in that moment, he had seen the Ablan warrior thrust his spear upward and into his eye! So that was what is his pain was, not his head, but his eye! That would explain why the world would seem so dark, he had lost an eye! Consciousness had now fully returned to him, sight in his right eye, his feeling, and his ears - he heard the sound of his brothers moving about the battlefield. He was too weak to get up on his own, the pain far to great to bare. In a horse and coughing voice, he called out,

" Help - ahem-hem - Help me... please... "

A shadow in the shape of a man appeared looking over him, it quickly waved another shadow over.

" Help me. "

He pleaded once again. The shadow men would appear to accept his call for help, as both would drop to a knee and pick him up off his back. The pain in his eye ached harshely as they picked him up - but he was glad to not be left to die there on the ground.

" What should we do with this one? "

" Lay him down with the rest. Ee's talkin, so ee's not beyond questioning. "

These words sent a cold chill down his spine. Not merely for the eeriness of what had been said - but the fact that they had been said in, what was clearly, an ablanese accent.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Patrick Kolman: Oriel; Ireland- 2990 BCE Year Ten, Late March
Migration

Scotaidh, son of Fionghan, was always a bit of a handful. A child when the former, and now current High King first arrived in far off Dublin, Scotaidh had spent his entire life in Airgialla. What was once a small village far northwest of the Boyne settlements had quickly become a center for trade among the border towns. The transformation was remarkable, with the League bringing in migrants, goods, and technologies never before seen in Ireland. And throughout it all Scotaidh had grown up, watching as his family hovel had become a small wooden house.... then a larger wooden house.... and finally one of the largest abodes in town, constructed with a strong base of stone to keep the structure stable. He, and the savvy business sense of his father, were living proof of Hibernia's success. As such, when the League suffered the seemingly endless winter of its sixth year, Airgialla, and specifically Scotaidh's family, had seen the border through the worst of it. A poor harvest, lack of pastures, and decline in food imports had called for strict rationing, but with a little bit of help from the nominal capital, the first line of defense against what desperate raiders lied beyond the border had not succumbed. With winters end, things seemed to be returning to normal in Fionghan's home, until said handful had enlisted in the militia. These were all things the young Airgiallan mulled over as he embarked upon his patrol, having just finished basic training only a few weeks prior.

The route was simple. March to the border proper, clear the roads of any remaining snow, and scout a day beyond the border. All things said and done, it would take maybe two weeks to complete the mission and return to the surrounding Airgiallan lands. The other four patrols were given a similar amount of time, the normal contingent of sixty having been split into groups of twelve. Nothing too uncommon. At this very moment his company was marching north further into Oriel, the roads having mostly been cleared by the locals. With any luck, they'd reach the border within the hour. It was getting dark anyway.

"Sir, I've spotted something!" One of the other guards called out, looking down at the snow. The commanding officer nonchalantly made his way forward. A bitter, aging sergeant that Scotaidh had instantly come to dislike. The old man opened his mouth to chastise the soldier before looking down. Pausing for a moment in confusion, he quickly began to issue orders. "Spread out, and stay low. We're going to see where this leads us"

As the group began to creep along the small hunting trails, Scotaidh visibly paled. Footprints, multiple along the path he was following. At least ten to fifteen. A few yards away, he could see the rest of his companions following similar prints along similar game trails. Assuming for similar numbers of each, he estimated at least a hundred. Possibly migrants, but also possibly a warband.

The commander called out again, trying to be as quiet as possible under the circumstances, "Tracks are a few days old at least. We'll have to follow them for as long as our supplies hold out. Try not to make too much noise. Whoever these people are could have left a few men to scout from behind. We'll figure out what to do next once we catch up. They can't be moving too fast."

Dublin, Early April

I was looking out at the harbor when the report came in. A warband, mostly migrants fleeing the harsh winter now that the paths were clear, had been spotted along the border territories. Worse yet a few had attempted to raid one of the smaller communities. The militia training had come in handy apparently, as the village had managed to drive them off. The interest these raiders seemed to express in metal weaponry and tools was of great concern though, as were their numbers. The report said four to five hundred, and we couldn't afford to assume it had been exaggerated. Folding up the piece of parchment, I sighed, "We're going to have to delay the trip to Mann."

New Arcadius
Envoy

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby New Arcadius » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:14 am

Gaukhar Erzhanova

Year 1, Month 3

Chapter 3 - The Rivalry

Siwa Oasis
A hard grind of the salt should do… somehow this was extremely relaxing. Sitting down, and just grinding salt. It gave my body some more toning that I started to gain back. I think I had lost quite a few pounds… at least I hope I did. I usually got comments on how my giant frame gave me extra strength. I don’t know if these people even know what a mirror was, but I felt that yes, I had gained some muscle.

When I first arrived here, I wasn’t as strong as I was now. But currently, I felt like I was getting back at my peak when it came to carrying things around. It was heavy and hard work, but I am starting to get back into the rhythms of working outside. It beats being in class all day, and having to stay at home trying to solve almost impossible calculus problems. Not that I don’t miss it or anything, it’s just this… this is what life was like. And it felt extremely similar to what I experienced back at home. Minus the horses of course. The livestock we have right now felt quite good to take care of. It made me feel pretty good about myself when I did it.

I proceeded to put the salt into the bowel that as next to me after grinding it to the purest of form. As I did, one of the guards came to me and nodded.

“Gaukhar, the chieftess would like to have a word with you.” he said to me. I rose by eyebrow, and got up. I nodded and proceeded to head to her hut.

I wondered what she could want… I went inside, and saw her seated down together with Magher. I had been talking and hanging with him, and honestly, I can see why the Chieftess wanted us together. I did feel a bit more closer with him, and he indeed was a charming young man around my age, and well… yes. It was still strange how he was younger, but at least he’s legal. Or whatever law is around here. For all I know, some hungry man could of already claimed him by now, knowing how I had witnessed first hand of two men arguing a few weeks of two men arguing over a young boy, both seemingly far older. Well… I’d better get used to it, even if it’s against Allah’s will, and shames the foundations of Shiara.

But I had no time to really focus on religion, for this here was more important. I glanced at the Chieftess and bowed my head respectfully. She held her hand up, seemingly refusing my bow of the head. I glanced up at her before the others that were near her.

“Gaukhar, you have been with us for a while now. And you had done quite a lot for the Isiwan. Infact, I feel that you might even be a blessing of the Sahel herself. You appeared from these dunes, and since you had arrived, our people had been more motivated, ambitious and stronger than anything I had seen before. Even if you originally wanted to stay here for a short amount of time, you started to act as if you had been here all your life. This truly warms us, and we are blessed to have someone like you with us. Even if there are those who still do not trust an outsider, it’s welcoming with someone with such duty to the Isiwan.”

I was flattered. I never thought I would be this highly complimented. I myself, never really trusted many due to how many people stabbed me in the back before. I had met many assholes in my life, but I always stayed calm with a straight face, and a polite smile that accompanied it. However, the people here I felt a warm heart, as if they were family to me, something I never thought that I would grow with a tribe of people and relatives I have no idea who they are.

“Thank you. You have no idea how much that means to me, chieftess.” I said nodding.

“Now that you know that I personally can trust you with these things, as well as my sons and the council here, I think it’s time we dive into the deeper points that are affecting our tribe and our people.”

I never thought I’d want to stay here. The more I think about it, I had been here for a very long while, and I don’t think I’m ever getting back home to Riverside… so I might as well stay and listen. After all, I don’t have any plans of trying to return back to a hellhole.

“Nearby is an Oasis known as the Qara Oasis, home to a splinter group of our people. For generations, we had been united, until a split happened. We are now great rivals, and often, they would come here and raid us frequently. The Qara speak a similar language to ours, but they have a darker complexion to them. Although they are far apart from us, they still come here and try to steal away our sacred dates, that are far sweeter than a Qaran date from their oasis. I recalled the conversations we had many times, Gaukhar. That is why, I am asking you to present your wisdom to the council on what we can do.”

I thought for a moment… From what I remember the Qara Oasis only had a few people there. “Seems history never changes… there’s still the same number of people.” I said. “From what I remembered, I knew someone from a tribe known as Egypt. They had contact with the Qara, and said that whenever a newborn is born there, an elder dies, keeping their population consistent.”

The Chieftess nodded. “Yes… our scouts did report that when they came back here with information.”

“Well, first, we’ll need to teach people how to use their weapons properly. Secondly, we’ll need to get something sharp. Perhaps if we make more stone tipped weapons, we could have a chance.”

The council glanced at each other, as well as Magher. Some of them agreed and nodded, but other shook their heads in disagreement.

“Then, we have the Sahel before us.” I said. “Normally, I know the Sahel is a hard thing to traverse. But your people seem to know how to get past the deserts and to Qara. If we manage to find a good way to attack them from there, then Qara is ours for the taking.”

It seems the others seem to like this a bit more. The Chieftess too.

“However, we can’t just go charging in there. No, we need a formation. I studied other people forms before, being a history majo-... Being a very observant person, and watched others how they fight. If I can recall the formations, I’ll see if I can try and get your trained warriors and hunters to learn how to use them. It may take a few months, if not a few years, but they are very basic, and we should be able to learn how to get into formations, and how to command correctly. Just have your best men, and if you can, women ready to fight.”

The last time I recalled, this village didn’t have that many men and women around here. So I had to think of how I’m going to keep the population consistent without killing off the whole tribe. The Chieftess looked worried when I mentioned women in my words.

“Women? Why women?”

I glanced at her eyes. “Look at me, Chieftess. Generations of my people riding the mythical horses I kept talking about,” I then showed her my strung small carving of a horse. “This. Thousands of generations of this is in my blood. If my ancestors are hardy horse warriors, then I am sure that any woman would be a hot boiled Isiwan Hunter. I’m not asking for the entire army to consist of women, but only those who are eager and able bodied. Men are the vital key to making an army, first and foremost. Women should be back here, trying to ensure things don’t go wrong. But I am only encouraging women to go out if they want to, and lessen the harsh restrictions they go through in other tribes.”

The Chieftess gave an understanding nod. “Very well. I’ll have Masuna, Magher, and Iafis learn from you how to do things your way in terms of militaristic leadership. Once you had given them the basic instructions on how to do things, I am hoping that you will rally enough young men to serve. I want you to command the band towards Qara, and teach them not to mess with us.”

I nodded. This would be the first test of a leadership role. I never intended to become a leader myself, but this was to help others gain experience, and become leaders themselves in more organized fashion, and have future generations get even better than what we have already. I would immediately set out. The men that she mentioned including Magher came out with me. I would go forth and begin to teach them some basic formations I remembered when using spears in the history books, drawing circles down, and telling them how to do them. This was going to be a long process to teach, drill and have men learn how to march. But at least, I was getting them somewhere here. After all, this was apart of the key wheels of civilizations I was discussing with the Chieftess a month ago.

Qara Oasis
Week 3

A hurried young man came back to the chieftess of the Qara Oasis, panicked and seemed like he needed some water from the heavy running.

"Chieftess! The Isiwan are planning to attack us soon! The giant herself, is trying to teach the Isiwan how to fight in formations we had never seen before!"

The Qaran Chieftess sat there silently.

"So... Tugertent is finally making her move. I know what she's after... the salt flats from the depression near us." she said sternly. The Quaran Chieftess got up and waved her arm out. "Prepare our best men to make ready to defend our village! If Tugertent wants to use her heretical means of summoning monsters to our plane, may the Eastern Winds help us against them."
Transfemale roleplayer, worldbuilder and country-maker that has been around since 2013! Sorry if I keep on deactivating.

CERTIFIED BRONZE AGE ENJOYER

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Year 10 Month 10 Week 2

Oak at the Pigeon Coops.

A pigeon had come in from Plovdiv. Den had taken the small rolled piece of parchment from its leg. There was a second pigeon that had come, but they were in the early stages of training pigeons and Den had not been able to get it. It would stay out of reach flying from rooftop to rooftop. He looked over the message and rushed to the House of Wisdom. Den looked around the room. A few people had gotten up in the morning, Victor Spear was there with Penelope and Diaghis. Victor Spear was drinking a cup of herbal tea.

He said, "I have important news from Plovdiv."

He reads from a note:

The Hill Fort at Shuman has witnessed an attack on Tribal Alliance lands. Two smaller settlements were attacked and destroyed. When the warriors of Shuman sought out the attackers, they left on horse carts and on horseback. There have been more Kurgan coming into the Tribal Alliance lands. The Tribal Alliance has sent their warriors to fight the incoming Kurgan. It will not be long before they are in the lands of the Nestos League. We must prepare. There is a drawing of a hand on the message.

Diaghis, Penelope, Barabbas, Enyo, and Victor Spear listened to the message.

Victor Spear spoke, "We must mobilize the Nestos League. We should send out a simple message that we prepare for invasion."

Diaghis, "We should send pigeons to all the members of the Nestos League asking them to prepare. I will speak to the hunters and trappers, we need scouts to watch for the raiders. We will also gather the hands of Nestos. Many of them are away acting as explorers. Sitalkes is in the woods heading up the Amber Road and several of our men are on the way to Ur."

Victor Spear and Diaghis sent a simple message.

The Tribal Alliance has been attacked by the Kurgan. The Nestos League must ready their men for war. Watch the roads and woods for the Kurgan who are nomads. Everyone must prepare warriors, huntsmen, and villagers. Use the terrain and forests to your advantage. Everyone must be ready. Act together and we will survive.

At the Warriors School

Diaghis met with several hooded men and women in lamellar leather armor and leather cloaks. They each carried a symbol, a bronze hand which they wore around their neck. At another table there were other men in leathers with bows, staff slings, axes, and one and two handed bronze falxes.

An old bent man, Zia stood at the front of the table.

“I grow old and do not have much longer to live. I have taught you what I know. You are wolves, no more than wolves, you are lions now who will hunt wolves.” Zia coughs several times.

Diaghis, “Rest Zia. We still need you.'

Zia, “The priest, damn him, told me that my liver and heart are bad and there is nothing that can be done. I will go out with honor. You will be my lions. Protect Oak and kill the interlopers.”

Diaghis, “We know they are not far. We will meet them on the roads and ambush them. Our kennel is full, we will bring mastiffs.”

A hooded man, named Ressatus, The Lizard, “We have a new arrow that is shaved. It strikes true. We have been staining the arrows. I have made small clay pots with alcohol, lamp oil, sulfur, resin, and pitch that burn well.”

Zia, “Find a place where they must cross a river and attack them from high ground. Be prepared to move and find other places to attack them. I have watched the horses, they cannot move well on uneven or rocky ground. Catch them in the mountains.”

Ressatus unfurls a map on the table. “We will bring them fear. There is a patch of road near Plovdiv where the terrain is rough. It is an ideal place to engage them. The woods are thick and it is not far from what appears to be a defenseless settlement. We may be able to lure them there.”

Zia points to a place on the map, “There, that is a fork in the road next to a hill, a perfect place to meet them.”

Diaghis, “They will be dogs not wolves when we are done with them.”

Zia stumbles, “I see people before me, strong people. Be as lions.”

Diaghis and Ressatus lift Zia taking him to lie down in his bed. Zia lays down and looks at Diaghis and Ressata then says, “Protect this place, here there is hope.” and expires. Ressatus looks away. Diaghis holds Zia's hand and cries, then wails.

At the Horse Pasteur Near Oak

Enyo had started to practice riding the horses at the pasture for Oak. She would practice with Leonid and the two handlers. A hound would follow around Enyo's horse while she rode it slowly around the pasture. She would sometimes watch as Den learned to ride the horse as well. He would ride up to the pasture on his ox, then dismount and go to practice riding the horse. Several warriors would also practice learning to ride the horse. It was a new process.

On the river Dniester

Basaba and Cenric were learning nalbinding from a villager who had decided to follow the traders up the river. Basaba and Cenric were learning to make squares from yarn. They would sit and do nalbinding between their turns paddling rafts up the river.

Sitalkes and Cenric watched the river as they traveled. They had passed several smaller settlements. They were trying to move quickly to get ahead of the Kurgan. They took shifts all night and day, paddling the rafts As they moved up the river, more boats were joining them a few at a time. Some of the villagers began to tell a terrifying stories of beasts half man and half horse who had come into villages to the south, stealing women and taking gold, copper, and bronze.

The further up the river they went, the wilder the stories became. The half men, half horse beasts had antlers growing out of their heads. They howled like wolves and got drunk before they went into battle. They never bathed and drank out of the skulls of their fallen enemies.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Civilization OP
Envoy

Founded: Feb 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Civilization OP » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:47 pm

Wakayama Countryside

He pressed his own face hard into the dirt, rubbing and grinding his forehead and nose up against the coarse molecules of sand and rock which constituted the earth - revaling in the sensation of pain which the friction caused. His whole form taken to prostration - bowing with humble supplication and silent reverence towards the gruesome artifact of his worship. Even as he grinded his own face harshly against the bare earth, Zenzo kept his eyes open, starring not centimeters from the face of the floor, watching as the final vestige of light faded away; and as night's shadow had finally fallen across the land, Zenzo would slowly lift up his head - his face covered in ash white dirt, his eyes full of tears and wonder as they beheld the idol before him.

A chalk white hand, severed several inches below the wrist, had been stood up vertically - it's middle and ring fingers touching one another, while the pinkie and pointer faced out obtusely. Streaks of dried blood turned purple swirled up and down the grizzly limb, the bottom part of the hand having turned a sickening purple-blue as blood had pooled near it's cut off point. Upon it's still lively looking finger nails had been etched the faces of Amida, Fukujōju, Dainichi, Miroku, and Shakyamuni. The severed hand sat upon a freshly felled cherry tree stump - it's position angled so that the moon, now visible in the sky, would hang directly over the joined middle and ring fingers.

With tears still in his eyes, Zenzo patted upon the earth five times, an indication for his brothers who had also been prostrating to rise with him. He could hear the sound of dozen men slowly lifting their heads up to look upon the holy relic - The hand of Arata, the great revealer. Zenzo lifted his head up away from Arata's hand and looked up toward the starry heaven's - divine lights hidden by the comfort of the sun, and only revealed once faded past the horizon. As he placed his hands together, and recited the mantra's of the One True Faith School, Zenzo focused on the truth which had been revealed to him by his master Arata - a truth which he had witnessed personally.

It had only been days ago when he and his peers had been lead from Wakayama to the Hyogo prefacture by their teacher, Arata of the One True Faith school. A pious and holy monk, his zealous heraldry of the Buddha having known no bounds, no taboo - so great was his pursuit for divine enlightenment that lesser spirits were driven away before him. It was this zealotry which had first infatuated Zenzo ( as well as his peers Yamushi, Takadesi, and Kamaru ), driving him to seek the man as his teacher. What they sought ( Arata and his disciples ) as not the mediocrity promised by the kami which they had been raised to honor - the perpetual and stagnate riches of a broken world - they pursued true knowledge, true enlightenment: Nirvana. A state of being beyond the cares of this life, or any before it. To exist beyond the self - beyond what mundane desires and suffering held us to the Earth. In pursuit of such transcendence, what need have one for pathetic ideas like regrets or disgust?

Though Arata had taught his disciples this truth, and they in turn repeated it to themselves, the Great revealer knew that they did not truly understand it. In fact, it was not until the Great Buddha himself had spoken to him, through visage, that he fully understood it himself. This life, and all that was in it, had no value next to Nirvana - this is what he had told his disciples before they had made their trip to Hyogo, and that he would prove it.

I tell you this, that my journey shall end very soon my disciple - I shall go beyond all suffering and disgust. For you, I shall leave but a path to follow in.

These had been the final words he had uttered to his four disciples, before charging into the court of the Mikoto.

As her sword cut into and flayed the flesh from his teacher, Zenzo understood finally his teacher's words. This life, was just a blinding comfort - hiding the true nature of existence, like how the sun hides the beauty of the stars. It was only through shedding away of ones petty comforts, disgusts, worries, and fears that one might finally understand what it meant to transcend beyond this world. Arata had died without fear or loss upon his face - his was the visage of calm and contentment. The sun had set, and he could finally see!

Hours went by of Zenzo and his newly found disciples repeating their school's holy mantras, his voice never wavering. For were once the Great Revealer had been thought of as a zealot among his peers, in hearing of his prophetic demise before the troubled mind of the Mikoto, his message had finally begun to reverberate among the more curious and spirited of his colleagues. There was but one true, eternal Buddha - and he had revealed path toward enlightenment to Arata, who in turn had revealed it to his disciples. Their prayers, sent up into the dark heavens, were a reaffirmation of their holy task: show the sick, the weary, the mad, the sad, the fearful, and the crippled, show the hated, the hateful, the wronged, and the ruined, show the lost, and the haggard, and poor, and the small, show them all the path toward enlightenment. Show them that blood and bone was nothing to lose - that behind one's pain and pleasures, God lay waiting to be seen. Arata had revealed this to his disciples through Mikoto - and so his disciples would be expected to do no less.

As Zenzo his head, his mantra's finally brought to an end, he balled his fingers into a fist, feeling his bones crack with a wonderful glee. This was his holy task, his duty as a Bodhisattva - to reveal the path to the most wretched of man. Who more worthy then, then the sick and troubled mind which had fallen so far from the light of the eternal Buddha, and who had freed his master from his mortal coil? Zenzo prayed deeply within his heart, to personally reveal the path toward enlightenment to the Mikoto.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:50 am

Mara Council Chamber, The Imperium of Man
June 27th

"I am pleased and honoured to be so greeted with amity and peace by the Imperium," spoke the foreign warrior, and his eyes glanced up from his card toward where I sat before proceeding, "and greet your excellency with hopes of friendship and co-operation from the Stórþing and people of Norðurland."

"Considering the increasing maritime trade between the settlements of our alliance and yours," the unpronounceably named foreigner continued in his thick patois, "it would be entirely in order to call our two alliances neighbours regardless of the physical distance that separates our frontiers. With new neighbours come new potential for prosperity in new exchanges, but with new neighbours also come new potential for conflict. It is, however, the sincere belief of the people that I stand here to represent that much conflict arise from misunderstandings and lack of good faith by either party."

The emissary appeared to have lost his place, and his eyes searched the paper desperately before he apparently gave up. I suppressed a smile. Not a man long in his letters, then, but a fair effort. And the written word said much about the sophistication of his folk, and the prepared speech about their political centralization.

"It is the judgement of the Stórþing that if there is to be any conflict between our two alliances, then at least let them arise from genuine grievances than ones born of arrogance and false assumptions. So, I have come here, to further our understanding of your people and allow you to further your understanding of ours and to, if at all possible, lay down the first brick towards building a permanent peace between us. That is my purpose in standing here, before this court."

The Heads, of course, all stared at him in perfect incomprehension, doing their best to maintain their attentive demeanor. I translated swiftly, doing justice to the ambassador's eloquence as much as I could - it was not uncommon for men who did not speak our tongue to come to Mara to ask to address the fathers of the Imperium, but rarely did they speak at such length. Master Wissam harrumphed as I summarized the last few sentences of the man's appeal.

"I have seen the traders from this Roskilde. They make fine boats, aye. But their goods - they are trappers and gatherers, not men of sophistication. This outlander comes speaking of a great alliance, one akin to our mighty Imperium, but where is the proof? Many times have chieftains and their sworn men come boasting of their strength, their prowess, to seek recognition and kinship with our glory - but never have I seen one whose assessment of their worth was sage, when they marked themselves as our equals. Before the Lord, Viktor, I do not like the smell of that."

His words were echoed by two of the other Councilors, and I nodded, thoughtfully. It was true. From east and west they had come, even still came at intervals; proud warriors, warlords, men who had seen a shadow of the Imperium's might and sought to align themselves in a manner to oppose it. Perhaps they had rallied a particularly numerous kindred, and conquered a neighboring tribe, to set themselves up as our equals. Perhaps they had called together a band of warriors to bloody a merchant caravan, and so declare their sovereignty over lands that were swiftly being tamed. They had all disappeared like snow before the spring sun, proven by their deeds hollow in their words.

In a low rumbling voice the scion from House Dorbeorn interjected, dour Rorik of the eastern mining clans.

"And he speaks of neighbors. I have read the charts, spoken to these merchants in person. It is five hundred leagues and more, as the crow flies, to where the traders come from, by our reckoning. A thousand perhaps as the rower rows, for the Elbe's course is neither straight nor swift in many places. Such men may come as they may, but we may as well speak of making an accord with Ambermen of Gar Thabbas, or the Black-Beards of Ploi by the shores of the Wine-Dark Sea, for all the relevance it will have to our lives and the folk of our charge."

To this I could only nod. It was true. I had done a small amount of checking after hearing that a representative of Roskilde requested an audience with the Council, and the log-books were not exactly filled with their transit. The journey was long, their trade a drop in the ocean of more local concerns, even merchants up from Germania proper. As near as I could tell they made their homes somewhere in Denmark, or perhaps lower Scandinavia. I may as well strap wings to my feet as oars, if I ever hoped to visit there - such a long time away from my responsibilities could not be justified in the least.

A few other minor arguments were made, about the value of tariffs, but eventually I deigned to summarize for the man from the north, speaking aloud in his own tongue.

"Your speech is most eloquent, emissary of Roskilde, but my Councilors make salient points which trouble my heart at your ambitions. Roskilde is far from our lands, far even as we who have mastered so much of the natural worlds reckon it. And many have come to me before, claiming strength when there is little to be found, a kinship of order and reason which is vapor and smoke at the test. You have seen little yet of our people, our might. The Imperium is vast beyond reckoning, strong as the bones of the earth. Almighty God has gifted us with a mastery over war, over soil, over bronze and iron and horse and sword. In our hand is the wealth of nations, and there is none who is as prosperous as the folk who are beloved of Our Father. Our days are lengthened by the count of the sons of men by the wisdom we possess, and our lands know only peace born of indomitable power."

Around me the Fathers nodded, not understanding my words, but hearing my tone, and I continued, warming to my work.

"Roskilde may be great. This I own as a possibility, for reason dictates it must be so. But the evidence of my years and my experience and the council of those men of wisdom who surround me speaks otherwise. You speak fair, Raginaharjas of Roskilde. Do not fear for your access to our markets, the safety of your traders. All men of law and peace are welcome in the Imperium. But my heart tells me that, unless there is ought other sign you can give of the truth of your words, it does not do justice to my people to bind the Imperium to an accord with your folk, any more than a clan-father should marry his finest daughter to a cripple. My Father charged me with their good keeping, and I would not send them to fight foreign wars, or prop up a king recently come to his crown, for such is not their concern."

With those words I held my peace.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:24 am

Mara Council Hall,
8th year, 3rd Summer Monday,
Raginaharjas Kunjamundusson af Roskilde.

Was I the hotheaded young man of ten years past, perhaps, I might have bristled at the thinly-veiled dismissal and the vaguely superior tone. I have been tempered, however, by years of herding wildcats at the Stórþing, kettling in elders with a thousand petty grievances to settle, a thousand petty privileges to defend, and a thousand little honours to be upheld whenever it was in session. I find that I have both a greater appreciation for good oratory and much greater patience for people who loudly insist that they do not agree with anything I say.

Besides, it was not even necessarily false. In terms of being able to put strong men on the field, the Imperium probably was vastly more capable than our little alliance, and it was clear that their understanding of the natural world was greater than ours. If not, why would Clara bother asking the nearby elders for men to send here, to learn their understanding and craftsmanship?

Not that I'd ever admit to thinking that, of course.

"While I and the entities that I represent recognise and respect the strength and reach of the Imperium," I instead responded, "I must protest in defence of the honour of our people the implication that Norðurland is so far beneath the Imperium in the ranks of states that the Imperium finds it unnecessary to exchange pledges."

There. That was a sufficiently neutral response, not explicitly disputing that the Imperium is the superior in strength, but nonetheless insisting on the strength of our alliance.

"If it is the honesty of my words that your excellency doubts," I added, "I would be happy to arrange a honorary visit to Roskilde for a small party of emissaries of your choice."

I was unsure why Clara saw to it that this particular offer was included as one that I was permitted to make in the charter. The very concept that someone might somehow be more assured of our unity and solidarity after sitting in a session of the Stórþing was baffling to me. Rather the opposite was likely to be the case, I felt. In any case, I figured that whatever it was that motivated her, she included it because she would be pleased to see it happen.

I leaned into my scribe for a moment, exchanging a quiet inquiry and a quiet response. It would not do to overstep the boundaries of the charter I hold from the Stórþing, and I was unsure what I was permitted to do. It was perhaps unfortunate that I did not stand beside my woman today. She would, no doubt, have many campfire tales from the rich tradition and history of the Canadian people on which to draw for inspiration and insight. For all that Gudebago's winter of education made her a more learned person than I on these matters, she was no Clara.

"In any case, I believe that this present Council has interpreted the desires of the Stórþing and people of Norðurland in an unnecessarily expansive manner. It is not our desire that the Imperium would fight our wars, for none of our enemies count the Imperium among its neighbours, nor is it our desire that the Imperium's armies secure the reign of our king, for we are a free people ruled by none. Our desire is, indeed, almost the opposite of these things: that the Imperium avoid war with Norðurland and our neighbours, that the Imperium avoid interfering in the internal affairs, violent or otherwise, of our alliance, and that the exchange between our two alliances continue to be that of trade and of the market."

"Since your excellency has plainly stated that this is indeed his and this Council's desire, and I have not even one small shred of doubt that I do not stand today in the company of dishonourable men," I finally concluded, letting the occasional pause punctuate my sentence for both oratory effect and giving me more time to think, "I am confident that this Council will be willing to put to written word on paper a pledge of their intention to do so."
Last edited by Plzen on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:45 am

Year 10 Month 11

Outside Plovdiv

Diaghis had been traveling for ten days on an ox cart. He had reached Plovdiv without incident. it was a steady trip as the oxen pulled the carts along the road. He had taken the time to sharpen his weapons, clean his armor, and groom his dogs. He had met up with a hand of the Plovdiv council, their own select warrior. They were to work together heading into the woods to meet the Kurgan.

Diaghis had twenty people with him including Enyo and Leonid. They hoped to capture more horses. There were another dozen men to add to the group with the warriors from Plovdiv. They would travel four days into the woods where they planned to take back a settlement where the Kurgan had decided to pitch their tents. They would travel through the woods until the they reached the location of the settlement.

After they traveled for two days moving as a group in the woods, they saw a column of smoke. They sent Enyo ahead and a few of the locals from Plovdiv. A small farm was being raided by Kurgan. A group of Kurgan were in the process of breaking down the gate with a large log sharpened to a point. There was a wooden palisade around the small farm. Some of the huts thatched roofs were burning. Shouts could be heard from the center of the farm.

Enyo indicated that this would be a good opportunity to take the Kurgan by surprise as they were focused on the gate. The men advanced carefully until they were In bow shot. They took their time aiming at the group of Kurgan. Diaghis pointed at three men on horseback who seemed to be focused on directing the men who were trying to break the gate. There were several empty horsecarts which the footmen had dismounted from.

They loosed their arrows peppering the leaders with arrows. One of the leaders slumped over and his horse bolted into the woods. The other two men fell from their horses. The Kurgan who were trying to bash open the gate dropped their logs reaching for axes. There were several Kurgan who tried to take cover behind the wagons, throwing javelins into the woods.

The bowmen released another round of arrows, felling many more Kurgan. There were only a few Kurgan left. They tried to run. Diaghis and Enyo released six large molosser dogs who surged after the fleeing Kurgan. Diaghis men ran after the Kurgan who were trying to flee. None escaped. They counted twelve dead Kurgan footmen and three leaders. There were two horse carts with horses and two horses with saddle blankets.

The locals came out to meet them. The farmers opened the gate. There were two men and a woman who had been felled by javelins. There were five more adults inside the farm and six children. Three of the adults had slings and two had hunting bows. The warriors brought the horsecarts into the farm.

Then they heard shouts and wolf howls in the distance. There were more Kurgan in the woods. Diaghis men were already inside the palisade. They could see Kurgan with axes coming to the edge of the woods. Some had bows. They were chanting and howling. Diaghis men spread out along the palisade with their bows. They blocked the gate with a horsecart. The bowmen readied their bows.

More Kurgan came to the edge of the woods. They seemed to not be in a hurry. They continued to chant and howl. The kurgan threw a volley of javelins over the wall, wounding one of the bowmen and killing one of the farmers. There was more shouting from the woods.

The archers fired their bows into the woods. While one group of 15 fired, the other group of 15 drew their bows. There was good cover behind the trees. There were some screams behind the trees, but they could not see that easily into the trees.

Zassera the Lizard was with them. He handed out several small clay jars with wicks on them. Then he lit an oil soaked torch.

A dozen of the Kurgan fired arrows over the palisade. A few men got hit by arrows, but their arrows did not pierce deeply because of the layered lamellar armor. The bowmen responded by returning fire to the area where the bowmen were using poison coated arrows. There were more screams. Then several horsecarts charged the walls. Enyo, Diaghis, and Zassera lit the wicks of the clay jars and threw them at the charging horsecarts. Two of the carts lit on fire, immolating a few of the Kurgan. The Kurgan caught by fire jumped off the carts fleeing in panic. Two of the carts made it to the walls, and the Kurgan were able to climb over the walls using the carts. They were killed with arrow fire before they could close with the archers.

There were not enough men to cover the whole of the walls. While they were exchanging arrow fire with the Kurgan, a group of thirty Kurgan had climbed over the wall behind the houses. Enyo saw them coming out from behind the house and yelled picking up her falx. Fifteen of the bowmen drew falxes or bronze maces and unslung a crescent shaped shield. They had been trained to fight together as a single unit. The other twelve continued exchanging arrow fire with the woods. Three had become too wounded to fight.

The Kurgan charged yelling like wolves. They had horseheaded axes and fought like warriors. Diaghis's men fought in unison, lunging, striking, and blocking together with precision. The Kurgan fought wildly making strong swings with their axes and yelling at the top of their lungs. The ground became thick with Kurgan blood. Half of the thirty Kurgan had fallen while three of Diaghis's men had taken killing wounds from the Kurgan axes. Where the Oak made sickle swords struck there were deep gashes and killing blows. More Kurgan came pressing against Diaghis and his men.

Enyo, Diaghis, and Zassera fought with heavy two handed falxes (sickle swords), each stroke felled a man, or removed a limb. They fought together. It changed the tide of the battle. No more arrows came from the woods and the bowmen joined the fight with bronze swords and light shields.

The few remaining Kurgan retreated into the woods. They took what weapons and they could gather throwing them in the carts as well as some of the farmers possessions.

Diaghis gathered his men, taking 7 of their fallen to the horse carts as well as eight wounded men. They had little idea about the horse carts. Enyo walked in front of the cart leading the horse and Zassera led the other horse along. They both had practiced riding for a little bit at Oak. It would be a long trip back to Plovdiv. The farmers followed them. The farmers had set the fields and the houses on fire as they left.

As they set out, they noticed a set of wagon tracks leading into the woods. Diaghis sent Enyo ahead. About a mile away, they found a nomad encampment. There were tents pitched and a few more wagons. There were some children and a few older men as well as some women, but they made no move at the warriors from Oak.
There were also sheep and cattle. A few of the men in the camp came forward. They were dressed in loincloths and were barefoot. One fell on his knees and thanked Enyo. They were being kept as slaves. They had been spared when the Kurgan raided the settlements because they were artisans, they could weave, forge metal, make jewelry, or pottery, or had some craft skills. Everyone else was axed.

Most of the women had been recently captured in raids. They wanted to come with them back to Plovdiv. A few of the slaves new how to take care of horses. They helped with the horse carts. Some of the slaves had been warriors once. A few took bronze axes to fight with in case they were attacked.

Diaghis men gathered what they could bring back to Plovdiv and put them in the remaining horse carts. They were leaving immediately. They were in no shape to continue to their original objective.

They set out that night for Plovdiv. They did not stop moving until very late in the night. They tended to their wounded with poultices, cleaning alcohol, and sutures. Several arrows were removed and wounds cleaned and bandaged. Not everyone would make it back to Plovdiv. Two more warriors died of their wounds.

They continued on their second day to Plovdiv. At night, they could see the walls of Plovdiv. Smoke emanated from stone bowls to provide cover for the archers on the walls. A small army of nomads was attacking the walls. As the nomads charged forward with siege ladders, they would be met with boiling water, hot sand, rocks, sling bullets and arrows.

The nomads would scramble into the ditches next to the walls and get pushed back. The Kurgan tried twice to attack the walls, but were pushed back twice.

Diaghis and the men watched the fighting and waited. The next day, the nomads waited outside the walls. More nomads came to join them.

On the second day waiting outside the walls, A group of men on foot with banners showed up. There was the banner of Abdera, Thassos, and Oak as well as the banner of Alec the Badger, and the Tribal Alliance. There were close to 500 men in the field. They moved towards the Kurgan nomads who had formed into a loose mass of axemen and spear men backed by bowmen and men on horseback with axes. There were at least a 1000 nomads.

Alec the Badger saw that they were a mix of warrriors and levees from the farms. It looked like they had called in as many men as they could get into the field as possible.

The gates opened and four large heavy ox carts came out of the gate with high wooden walls. Then the gates shut.

The two small armies clashed. The alliance was more organized and had bettter formations. There were more nomads. The lines held after the initial onslaught by the Kurgan. Both sides rained arrows on each other.

The formations of the alliance held pushing back the Kurgan. A group of Kurgan horsemen swung around and attacked the formation from the side. The formation from Abdera did not maneuver quickly enough and there was fighting on foot between Abdera and the Kurgan on horseback. A group of twenty men with two handed falx from Alec the Badger joined the Abderans. The line broke apart for the Abderans.

The ox carts trundled forward slowly. They were in range. They begin firing a mix of stone balls from the staff slings and poisoned arrows at the Kurgan. The Kurgan redirected their arrow fire at the carts with small effect. The oxen had heavy bronze and hide armor and the layered wood of the carts stopped the incoming arrows and sling bullets. The carts continued to trundle forward.

The armies continued fighting. The banners of Alec the Badger, Thassos, and Oak were holding well and had broken the attack of the nomads. The group from Abdera and the Tribal Alliance had turned into an evenly matched fight. They were being overwhelmed by numbers.

There were more archers in the alliance than with the Kurgan. Through a steady attrition, the archers began to falter on the Kurgan side. The four war carts were close to the Kurgan. The people inside the carts began tossing out jars filled with scorpions which shattered on the ground. They also began throwing lit flasks of fire oil in addition to shooting poison arrows. Two of the carts stopped moving, the oxen had been filled with arrows.

The scorpions, the fire, and poison arrows were too much for some of the Kurgan who fled as they watched their companions burn. A group of horsemen from the Kurgan with burning torches charged the wagons. One of the wagons was lit on fire and went up in a conflagration as the fire oil went up in flame.

Alec the Badger, Thassos, and Oak pushed back their attackers into the mass of people from Abdera and the Tribal Alliance. The ground was thick with blood and bodies.

The archers had run out of arrows from the Kurgan, the alliance were still stocked with arrows. The fight turned towards the alliance. Some of the Kurgan began to retreat. Alec the badger had brought twenty hounds and Thassos had brought another twenty as well. They released the dogs after the retreating Kurgan. Forty men with long bladed spears followed the hounds and the retreating Kurgan cutting many of them down.

The leaders of the Kurgan on horseback fled the field. The battle had turned in the alliances favor. 150 of the alliances men had fallen and many were wounded and over 800 of the Kurgan had died that day at the battle of Plovdiv.

The alliance searched the camp of the Kurgan, a mass of wives, older men, children, livestock, and slaves. They seized the cattle, sheep, and goats from the Kurgan as well as any food stores that were in the camp. There were too many men for Plovdiv to supply for long. They had captured many horses from the Kurgan to be sent south. They did not take all the horses south. They butchered some as meat for the army.

They did not want to allow the Kurgan to regroup. That day, the army from the Nestos League, moved forward. They wanted to catch as many Kurgan before they escaped or moved their camps north. They managed to catch up to two small encampments overwhelming them, seizing the cattle, goats, and sheep of the Kurgan.

The Kurgan fled north and the Nestos League army stopped in two abandoned settlements where they had butchered the captured men from the Tribal Alliance. Small groups from the Tribal Alliance joined them coming out from the woods where they had been hiding. Some looked thin and emaciated having not eaten for many days while they hid from the Kurgan. The army foraged catching what it could from the countryside and collecting roots, tubers, and plants. Many of the warriors were hunters and could identify what plants were edible or catch small game. There were fallow fields and abandoned vegetable gardens which the farmers among the spearmen gathered wheat and vegetables from.

The Kurgan had burned the settlement of Staro Zagora collapsing the mines of Staro Zagora as they retreated. The site was a burnt out husk. The army stopped at Staro Zagora as more of the defeated Tribal Alliance began coming out of the woods. They did not have the endurance to travel to Varna or Shuman.

Diaghis had made it back to Plovdiv with the bodies of his men and women. They were buried in pit graves and the priests of the Goddess and Sabazius said prayers for the dead. They would not stay idle for long. Any capable men had to go to the fields to gather what they could of the harvest or hunt for food which was becoming scarcer.

The fields from the Nestos League lay empty except for a few of the temples. Women, priests, and some older men gathered what they could before the harvest went bad. There were not as many men. They emptied the vegetable gardens, the orchards, and the went to the forest gardens harvesting and storing what they could.

Some of the older traders went out to sea trading goods for salted fish, and the produce on some of the small islands so there would be something to come back to.

Some of the men who had been bonded or kept as hard labor escaped running for their lives while the soldiers were away. There were less people available to sweep the streets, collect night soil, or do menial tasks.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Illegal Planets
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Illegal Planets » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Rude Awakening
Donovan McLeod
Day 1

Jesus, it's cold.

Beneath him he recognized the familiar sensation of wet grass. The heady, wet smell of nature filled his nostrils. Donovan opened his eyes, blinking against a low morning sun as it cast orange rays through a canopy of trees that half obscured a dark, cloudy sky. He bolted upright, digging his fingers into soft soil covered by slick, decaying leaves. He was surrounded by forest, a low fog lingering throughout.

"What the fuck."

Groaning, Donovan stood, bits of dirt and leaves falling from his naked thighs. He shivered. Had he really overdone it last night? He tried to recall the details. Bits of conversation drifted through his mind. He'd gone down to Broadway to celebrate the new year with a few friends. Whiskey was certainly involved. Had he made it home? He didn't remember.

"I'm dead."

No, he wasn't dead. The sharp pangs of hunger in his stomach were a testament to that.

I'm dreaming.

Not that, either. The situation held a certain clarity of pain and discomfort. This was reality. So, where was he? Donovan looked around. Nothing was familiar. There were no trails. There were no deer stands. Only trees. He began to shiver, mostly from the cold, but also partially from fear. Then he got angry. He bellowed out into the forest.

"Hello!?"

His voice echoed back to him a few times. "Spencer? Ty?" No answer.

"God damn it!" He began to walk, mud squelching up through his toes. "Spencer!" For a moment, he seemed to recall just where he'd gone the night before...
Last edited by Illegal Planets on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDE never dies

”My rock and roll is not to entertain, but to annihilate"

Civilization OP
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Civilization OP » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Kamba

As the sun licked it's first rays of light over the horizon, the slithering creature's green scales appeared to absorb the light around it. Upon the pale yellow dirt, the two creatures writhed and waggled against one another - their path drawn upon the earth in circles. Copulation was the first step in the circle of life - an act which promised continuity for all living things, even for such predators as the green snake. But what the brothers Suwei and Kola witnessed, as they crouched behind the tall grass in the early hours of morning, was not a natural act.

The place of inception for beasts - the serpent most of all - was out and away from men: in the fields, or the forest, where safety and home resided. Where these loathsome predators had decided to mate, was among man's very dwellings. A curious and strange behavior for beasts to partake in most cases - but this was not most cases. For as the brothers looked through the grass and upon the earth, to see the path of the snake's copulation, they saw their slithered marks circle round the hut of Wilson.

From the spirits he had come indeed - this was now certain. His strange gifts, his inhuman appearance, his land no one had ever heard of, and predators mating around his home! The brothers held their breaths, and bit their thumb's to ward off evil - for they now knew that they stared at the home of a witch. Soon, all the village would know too.
Last edited by Civilization OP on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Civilization OP
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Civilization OP » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:48 pm

Nestos

Cestos's head swirled, placing his hand down upon the table to stop himself from tipping over. He closed his eyes and groaned from the lurid pain that pressed in on the back of his head. " Are you alright master? "

From behind Cestos, calling from the kitchen, the scribe's young servant boy, Manue, called out. Cestos opened his eyes to look down upon the piece of yellowing parchment which lay upon his table. " Quiet boy! I am at work and will call you if needed! "

" Yes master! "

Cestos wiped away the sweat that had accumulated upon his brow, a few drops falling upon the parchment. Ignorant yokel, serve in silence! He thought to himself. Through his mental haze and the weariness in his eyes, he reread the contents of the parchment - a letter from one of his fellow scribes in Oak. His peer described the same feverish and lethargic symptoms which Cestos himself had been experiencing for some days now. The letters trailing off and curving in sloppy lines showed that the writer had had difficulty in maintaining a steady hand throughout the relatively short message. Cestos placed both hands upon the table, evening his balance before closing his eyes and letting out a sigh.

It was Reader's Fever, at least, that was what the illiterate yokels had come to call it behind the scribes and philosophers backs. Ever since the warrior's march northward, across every village in Nestos, from Alec the Badgers school of war to Oak, reading men were falling ill with this mysterious fever. The fact that it was only the privileged reading elite who were afflicted by the sickness was an alluring point to the greater populace: the farmer, the hunter, the maiden, the herder, all were unaffected by the fever. Only those men who prided themselves above the ignorant masses were being felled low by lethargy. Reader's Fever was thus given it's name by those who the Erudite classes looked down upon - a curse for their arrogance and luxury.

I must go to the house of wisdom, surely they will... know how to cure my affliction?! Cestos turned from his table and out the open door of his small plastered home. Aside from his servants, the old scribe lived alone, his wife and daughter having passed many years ago. He stumbled out of his home, his arms waving wildly in order to keep up his own balance - throwing himself upon any tree or fence that would keep him from falling. Another one of the servant boys, who'd been tending the garden, looked up from his work to spot his master's chaotic march. His eyes swirled about without direction, his head rocked about like a boat upon the water, the footfalls were uneven and unsynchronized, his breathing was heavy and full of unintelligible grumblings. " Master, are you well? "

As if on cue, Cestos's hands shot out one final time to feel for something solid to grab onto, only to find the open air. He fell without cushion or precaution, squarely upon a mound of pigeon cages - feathers shooting up into the air, followed by the terrified cooing of the trapped beasts. The servant threw down his tools and dashed over to his felled master, Manue shooting out from the house to follow suit.

Flat on his back, surrounded by shattered cages and falling gray feathers, Cestos could only grumble on how he must go to the house of wisdom - though by this point he was entirely unintelligible to his servants, who hung over him with nervous gazes. Reader's Fever, claiming yet another of the high and mighty.
Last edited by Civilization OP on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Civilization OP wrote:
Nestos

Cestos's head swirled, placing his hand down upon the table to stop himself from tipping over. He closed his eyes and groaned from the lurid pain that pressed in on the back of his head. " Are you alright master? "

From behind Cestos, calling from the kitchen, the scribe's young servant boy, Manue, called out. Cestos opened his eyes to look down upon the piece of yellowing parchment which lay upon his table. " Quiet boy! I am at work and will call you if needed! "

" Yes master! "

Cestos wiped away the sweat that had accumulated upon his brow, a few drops falling upon the parchment. Ignorant yokel, serve in silence! He thought to himself. Through his mental haze and the weariness in his eyes, he reread the contents of the parchment - a letter from one of his fellow scribes in Oak. His peer described the same feverish and lethargic symptoms which Cestos himself had been experiencing for some days now. The letters trailing off and curving in sloppy lines showed that the writer had had difficulty in maintaining a steady hand throughout the relatively short message. Cestos placed both hands upon the table, evening his balance before closing his eyes and letting out a sigh.

It was Reader's Fever, at least, that was what the illiterate yokels had come to call it behind the scribes and philosophers backs. Ever since the warrior's march northward, across every village in Nestos, from Alec the Badgers school of war to Oak, reading men were falling ill with this mysterious fever. The fact that it was only the privileged reading elite who were afflicted by the sickness was an alluring point to the greater populace: the farmer, the hunter, the maiden, the herder, all were unaffected by the fever. Only those men who prided themselves above the ignorant masses were being felled low by lethargy. Reader's Fever was thus given it's name by those who the Erudite classes looked down upon - a curse for their arrogance and luxury.

I must go to the house of wisdom, surely they will... know how to cure my affliction?! Cestos turned from his table and out the open door of his small plastered home. Aside from his servants, the old scribe lived alone, his wife and daughter having passed many years ago. He stumbled out of his home, his arms waving wildly in order to keep up his own balance - throwing himself upon any tree or fence that would keep him from falling. Another one of the servant boys, who'd been tending the garden, looked up from his work to spot his master's chaotic march. His eyes swirled about without direction, his head rocked about like a boat upon the water, the footfalls were uneven and unsynchronized, his breathing was heavy and full of unintelligible grumblings. " Master, are you well? "

As if on cue, Cestos's hands shot out one final time to feel for something solid to grab onto, only to find the open air. He fell without cushion or precaution, squarely upon a mound of pigeon cages - feathers shooting up into the air, followed by the terrified cooing of the trapped beasts. The servant threw down his tools and dashed over to his felled master, Manue shooting out from the house to follow suit.

Flat on his back, surrounded by shattered cages and falling gray feathers, Cestos could only grumble on how he must go to the house of wisdom - though by this point he was entirely unintelligible to his servants, who hung over him with nervous gazes. Reader's Fever, claiming yet another of the high and mighty.

Ari mixed the new pigments for the colored ink they had created. He had been given extra copper to keep quiet. The pigments made him feel light headed. Sweat dripped from his forehead. Some of the ink mixers had secretly taken to hiding in corners sniffing at certain of the pigments until their heads spun. The new wood block hand cranked screw presses gave off fumes which made it hard to approach the presses in Abdera. The new inks had very bright colors and were being shipped out very quickly. The colors were lovely, vibrant, and poisonous, especially the vivid reds and the blues.

They were making copies of Zoe's new book on The Nature of Rain and Rivers . The scribes had been contemplating flowing water lately, often repeating the quotation by Victor Spear, "You can never step into the same river twice. Nothing stays the same".

They had also released several older book titles with the new inks of interest to scribes. These had been shipped north on ox carts. By the time they had reached the next town, the smell of the ink fumes had become very faint. It was a thing to have these exclusive new tomes in your home if you were a scribe. The first shipment would go to the most esteemed of scribes.

Copper one palm squares and silver one palm squares had been flowing in. This made the propietor, Varga very happy. He would be celebrating with more wine in the evening next to his Egyptian style lotus pond. He had even taken to the affectation of keeping a pet turtle. Victor Spear was supposed to have a pet turtle. Varga knew of the dangerous nature of the inks, but he thought, "The effects will fade with time. There is nothing to worry about."

In Oak, Penelope could find no signs of disease in the scribes in their hearts pulses or their urine. They had fevers, but not the kind that came from the spirits of illness. Although some of the scribes who had woken up after passing out seemed to be in an odd dreamlike state where colors were more vivid and tastes were a little stronger. They had even taken in Victor Spear who was having a vivid dream where he was mumbling about skyscrapers, cantaloupes, and motorcycles.

She held Cestos hand and looked at his eyes which were glassy. He was mumbling about pigeons and clay pots. The priests from the healing temple had headed north with the army to help with wounded in the battle. She was wearing gloves and an odd looking leather mask.

Victor Spear woke up after a little bit. He seemed to be getting a bit better. He remembered reading a book before he passed out. He groaned.

One of Penelope's assistants wiped the forehead of a scribe who had been brought in. He had been collecting the guano from the pigeon cages to be used for compost. Den and Victor Spear had warned the scribes to keep the cages separate from their houses, but many thought the directions to collect the guano immediately, wear gloves, cover your head, and clean ones hands before collecting the guano were not necessary. No one had heard of such things before.

There were a few scribes who seemed to not be affected.

Den came into the House of Wisdom. He had been a doctor once. He looked into the eyes of the patient and checked the pulse. He spoke to another man who was with him, a Greek for a few minutes.

He said, "This man is definitely sick. I can see it in his eyes. He has a fever. Boil herbs together until they are strong and give it to him. He hands a short list of herbs to chop to make a paste for the man to eat. Also clean him with warm water, change the bed covers and give him a laxative to help unblock his channels. Feed him hot soup and liquids."

Penelope says a brief prayer over Cestos for him to get well. Then she makes several passes with an amulet in the shape of a fat woman over him.

The sick scribes are separated from the general population. Guards are posted at the doors of at the request of Victor Spear. They are in a building not far from the city center that is sometimes used as a banquet hall. The scribes will stay there until they are well.

Den and Penelope go to the house of Cestos and Den sees the broken cages in the middle of the house. There are some rather lethargic looking mangy pigeons and cage bottoms that look like they have not been cleaned out for a month with dried pigeon droppings.

Den holds his head and says, "We must kill the pigeons, they are sick and will make the other birds sick. They should be burned. We need help burning the pigeons."

Penelope, "I hear what you are saying. Victor Spear spoke of how putting farm animals inside houses is not a good idea. We must try again to get our ideas right."

Den and Penelope get people serving the House of Wisdom to come kill the birds. At first it seems to work, then several of the people killing the sick birds fall ill and are sent to the banquet hall. The hall is overflowing with people. In the night, two of the scribes have passed away. They are brought to a pyre where they are cremated to destroy the spirits of illness. Then their remains are buried in a pit and prayers are said. Eight seem to be getting a little bit better. One of the guards falls ill.

The Greek man, Nico has been taking notes on which herbs are given to people to help with the illness. Certain of the herbs seem to work better than others. He makes notes on the 12 scribes which are in the hall as well as the 6 servants and the guard. He compares notes on treatment with Penelope.

Den and Penelope have found a house where a hermit is on the outskirts of Oak. A neighbor went to check on him and found he had died. There are several cages with pigeons in them. They ask one of the servants of the House of Wisdom to go in and check on the pigeons. The man refuses saying, "The pigeons, they are possessed by devils of illness and kill people. I will not go near them."

Den goes inside and sees that several of the pigeons are barely moving and mangy and there is a man passed away on his bed. The servant is shaking with fear at the thought of going into the house. Penelope looks at Den and says, "This man he is right. We must destroy the sick birds.

People hear about the men who have died and some take it upon themselves to grab cages of pigeons and burn them. There are several incidents of groups of men rounding up pigeon cages and burning them in nearby settlements to Oak.

Two more of the scribes die in their sleep and two of the servants in the banquet hall. The bodies are cremated and a priest of the Great Goddess and Sabazius say a prayer over the remains, burying them in a deep pit. The rest of the scribes slowly recover.

Ox riders are sent out to inform people about the disease. They have an herbal formula which will cure eight in ten people who fall sick, but it takes almost a week to work. Word has already gotten out that the pigeons have been infested with the spirits of illness which kill men. There is a hysteria where people dress themselves head to foot in leather and masks grab pigeon cages and toss them in the fire. After they are done burning the pigeons, they throw the leather outfits into the fire. There are only a few isolated settlements left with pigeons. It will be a while before there are many messenger pigeons again.

Numerous scribes die as the herbal formula is rushed to the different settlements. In some cases, the scribes servants succumb to the disease.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OOC: The Egyptians believed sickness was caused by blocked channels so they would give people laxatives. It would have no effect. The herbs would help a little bit,- echinacea, garlic, olive leaf, sweet basil and other herbs to most likely help the man survive his sickness. So would the hot liquids. Quite a few people would die anyways. There are some herbal antivirals, but it would be hard to know how effective they are.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:18 pm

The convenient part about growing aquatic plants, especially through mariculture, and especially in a place such as near the mouth of the San Francisco Bay is that the plants are constantly being supplied with new water and immense amounts of nutrients. Basically, the only limiting factor for kelp growing outside the San Francisco Bay is how fast the algal cells can multiply and grow.

And oh baby, can kelp grow. Under the most ideal conditions, a little under three quarters of a meter per day is possible, and the kelp grows to almost fifty meters in a single growing season. Meaning that within seventy days the kelp is ready for harvest. In the wild, the kelp would cease growth but continue living, and winter storms would tear up the canopy of the kelp forest allowing younger plants sunlight to grow.

Yet this is not the wild, these are ropes dangling off of floating rafts and anchored to the sea floor some few dozen meters offshore. These frayed ropes maximize growing space for kelp and allowed the raising of mussels. Unfortunately mussels don’t take only seventy days to mature, in fact, they take more than a year, but nonetheless this form of mariculture should provide a steady stream of calories and nutrients to the people of Upuroro in the near future and show the credibility of Soto’s ideas.

Credibility, ah what an idea. It was what mattered, wasn’t it? Credibility, report, reputation, all synonyms for the same thing: Trust. How could an alien, a visibly foreign person, gain the trust of a community? Sure, solving the most pressing issue of their generation and the last two generations before that should definitely give them a pretty good reason to trust. Yet this gets to the root of the issue, seeing these people as a “them”. Why should Soto not be just another of the community members? Friendly and helpful and diligent and happy, someone that they would want to have anyway, regardless of if he could somehow introduce agriculture or iron working or whatever technology or system. And this wasn’t a manipulative thing, either, this was simply a man brought to the ancient past trying to get himself some semblance of normalcy. He wanted friends. He wanted to live and love and have people he could trust and that could trust him. He also wanted to help them, to help everyone. He was a bit of a commie after all, and while he couldn’t be overthrowing capitalism in an era before even slavery was widespread, let along wage labor, he could be just overall helping people.

So that was what he did. He was helpful, charismatic, intelligent, willing to learn, and willing to listen. He was a friend of anyone he could be a friend with. He made friends who were interested in the plot of amaranth and goosefoot, or that wanted to help him row out to the kelp ropes to see the progress they were making. He made friends who had nothing to do with any of his projects, that simply were good people. He learned names and learned stories. This was a conscious effort, of course, and it wasn’t a walk in the park, but it was a conscious effort to find a community.

Frankly, he was lonely. He didn’t want to feel a separate part, he wanted to fit in. Is that too much to ask?

Most of Soto’s plans for inventions and developments required at least some infrastructure to accomplish. Very few technologies require nothing to be invented, in fact, Soto would argue none do, even the simplest ones. Yet he was not in the deep Paleolithic, so he wasn’t stuck with human populations that had yet to invent complex language or microlithic tools.

He was, though, in Archaic North America, which meant something rather significant: the people here had yet to develop archery.

Up north, in the cold tundra, the people had bows and arrows, and in fact Soto had stolen one on this journey south, though ended up trading it away for food somewhere south of Vancouver Island. Yet he had not only seen people make these bows up north, but had made a few himself in his native time. They weren’t amazing, and were definitely not warbows designed for long-distance slaughter as some might have hoped, but they were incredibly useful tools that would drastically change the efficiency of hunting and defence in this land… and he was going to bring this technology to this adopted community he had found. Upuroro would have bowmen this year, he decided.

A plant he knew by the name “oceanspray” grew nearby, only a few hundred feet east of the village. While these were fully wild plants, not pruned or gardened as those he had seen in his native time, they were fundamentally the same. Long straight shoots shot up from the base of the shrub, and despite not being a proper tree, its woody stems would be perfect for making bows and arrows, depending on the size of the shoot. The smallest would make perfectly strong arrow shafts after drying for a season or two, but would do fine as a test before then. Medium-sized shoots would make bows for hunting rabbits and fowl and other small game, and the larger ones could definitely bring down elk, deer, hell, maybe even bears if there were enough hunters present!

He would not spend months on this project, this would be quick and to the point. He would develop something that could be proven to be useful and expand from there. A large shoot could be cut with a hand axe, a sharpened bone be a wood chisel, and twisted sinew a bowstring.

So, he got to work.

The shoot was about three inches in diameter, which meant that it could be shaped into a bow shape through the use of a chert handaxe. At first it was used as a hatchet, then as a drawknife of sorts, taking material off of the sides, and keeping a layer of bark on the bow’s back for structural integrity. Oceanspray shoots, without branches or knots, make great straight wood for bows, but there were a few with-the-grain cracks. Nothing too terrible that would cause a dramatic catastrophe, but something to keep in mind.

Using a shark’s skin as sandpaper, a handaxe as a drawknife, and sinew as string, the bow was finally complete. It was a solid bow, a heavy one that, the three-inch diameter shoot was shaped down to something like a fifty pound bow. Definitely heavy enough to hunt deer and larger animals as well. It was rather crude, but time was taken to ensure equal distribution of draw on both arms. While a lighter bow would definitely work as a proof-of-concept, Soto was not the stealthiest man, and wasn’t trained since childhood to sneak up on prey as the Upuroro were, and as such he would not be able to get as close and ensure a hit. A higher draw weight would mean more power from farther away.

And he was done! It didn’t look quite as pretty as some of the historical bows he knew, especially with the bark on the back, but it would work.

So he then got to work finishing up the arrows, as well. The grove of oceanspray had had dozens of small shoots perfect for arrows. For now, though, they would simply be sharpened and fire-hardened, rather than fitted with entire chert or flint or obsidian heads, but they were all fletched with either quail or gull feathers, sticky glue and a small amount of more sinew was used, and, before he knew it (not really, it did take quite awhile), he had forty-four arrows and a small hide quiver that could hold eleven.

His project was not a secret, of course, and the people of Upuroro was well aware of progress made, but once it was completed it was time for a big reveal of sorts. A few men went with Soto to the oak groves where the deer’s favored early summertime underbrush.

Soto had never actually gone hunting before, but, presumably, cleaning his skin with lye soap (which he had spent some effort purifying from ash and fat), sitting in a tall oak tree, being mostly silent for a few hours, and pulling back a bow when a buck came into sight, couldn’t be too hard.

It was a little difficult, if only for the lack of ability to shift sitting positions too much. After two missed shots Soto was frankly almost willing to give up, but continued if only to prove his point. That is when a deer approached from an unexpected angle, which made the shot rather awkward, but despite this it flew true and dug itself into the side of the deer. It ran, startled. Soto jumped down and followed the deer from a distance away, and it continued for quite awhile before finally collapsing from blood loss. Luckily it had ran in the general direction of Upuroro, and Soto was able to, with the use of a makeshift sled and some help from some of his acquaintances, drag the adult male deer back to the village, where the observers testified to the use of the new weapon. Soto then got to work making a new one, and one after that, and one after that. The art was not too complicated, and after awhile the ability to shape some primitive self-bows was learned by a couple of the women of the village.
yee haw it's time for mass line

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:25 pm

Siwa Oasis

" Father why not? " Huerphim looked up into her elder father's blind old eyes, his vacant stare angled toward a fire he could not see. The old patriarch shook his feeble head slowly, gripping a cane that lay across his lap.

" Dear daughter, blood is the most sacred and wonderful treasure in all of the world; and never should be wasted. "

Geurgrim's words were hoarse, but full of cherish. The patriarch's many wives and their younger children, who'd all crowded into the familial tent on this evening, thought on the worth of blood. For the mothers, who'd dedicated their whole lives to the raising of their children - this was a fact known to them ever since motherhood. For the younger of Huerphim and her many siblings, thoughts of golden bread and red meat seemed to intertwine with images of blood dripping upon the sand. Resentment had come not from either the ranks of the innocent young, or the dedicated betrothed, but from the hardy and arrogant elder children. From the other side of the fire pit, Geurgrim heard one his son's raise a challenge to his assertion.

" Father, blood would not be wasted though. The Qara steal our food. They seek to drive our kin hungry! "

" Not, in all my years, has Siwa starved. Through the hottest summer's, and through the most pitiful of harvests, every man and woman had been blessed by all that he would need to survive. For the stealing of mere dates, should we seek with menace and hate the death of our wayward blood in Qara? As a lion might slaughter his own cubs - at the command of a foreign woman who's not lived more than 100 days among our people?"

The son prepared to respond to his father's rebuttal, but even over the crackle of the flames, Geurgrim could hear his voice fall into a stifle. From off to his side however, he heard a deeper and more mature voice - this being one of his older sons, who'd married and fathered children of his own some years ago.

" Father, it is not merely over food that we must seek vengeance upon those in Qara - it is honor. That alien tribes might trespass upon our oasis and take what they desire without obstacle. We could not, and cannot allow such disgrace to fall upon our heads. "

Guergrim nodded at his son's words - they holding truth and weight on them than those of his younger son. After a while though, the old patriarch would respond slowly,

" Ah - and you are right my son. For an alien people to trespass upon our lands and take what is not theirs would be to shame and smother our honor. But they Qara are not aliens my son - they are your blood, just as they are mine. When I was a child, I regarded my cousins and uncles and aunts with love and affection - and they in turn showed me friendship and compassion, as only kin might. That they had been driven to Qara by pride and the feuds of fathers long dead, does not cleanse them from our legacy. Even among their number today -"

Guergrim motioned out with an open palm across the whole of his gathered family, " You all no doubt have many cousins living among them. "

He put his hand back down upon his staff, lowering his gaze down into his lap and letting out a long and tired sigh. He was old, and he could feel the pangs of age riddle through his breath. " They have done wrong to us - and they have shamed their own name in doing so... and for that, should be slaughtered? Cousin against cousins? Our sons... our daughters?! Sent out to spill blood upon the sand, for the honor of dates - and at the word of a foreign woman? "

He felt a cool hand place itself onto his shoulder, and as he ran a palm across it's top, he recognized one of his wives. He sighed with a smile as he blindly looked up at her, " Yes sheela, I shall retire now, but that is why, little one - " He turned his head, back down to Huerphrim, who still sat starring up wide eyed at him, " I shall not support any such battle against our kin. I know that I am old, and I cannot stop the ambitions of my sons... but I beg of them, to please, act with compassion, and to cherish the shared blood between wayward kin. "
Last edited by Joohan on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:15 pm

Year 10 Month 11

The Scribal Disaster

Several of the scribes have gotten sick from the new books. They pass out and hallucinate having strange dreams. Some of the scribes hands react to the new chemicals causing blisters. The location of the books is proudly printed on the title pages, Abdera, House of the Turtle. Before the warriors can get to Varga, several scribes find him and beat him with bronze bound staves leaving him for dead. His servants run off with the silver and copper palms thinking they will be blamed for Varga's death. An accidental fire occurs in the printing house fueled by chemicals in the ink, several other buildings go up in flame with it.

There is a secret meeting in the House of Wisdom of with Penelope, Den, Scorylo, and Victor Spear.

Victor Spear, "We must build a secure place to do our studies. The disaster with the pigeons shows us that we cannot simply allow things like this to happen without controls or safety."

Den, "The scribes, they did not follow my directions in how to keep the pigeons. Am I to be held responsible. Already there are whispers that I brought a great curse upon us."

Penelope, "It is too dangerous to continue with some of the knowledge we seek. I heard of a terrible fire in Abdera with billowing poisonous smoke. Not everyone likes the new things we are bringing."

Victor Spear, "We will build towers for our studies. Already we are venturing into dangerous studies. We are playing with fire, making strong chemicals, and handling dangerous things. There are some experiments which I have not allowed. What if someone makes the fumes that come from the poisonous flames in Abdera. This is a terrible thing."

Den, "We have some of the pigeons that are healthy."

Victor Spear, "We will not let the scribes keep them from now on. They will be kept separately in towers behind locked doors with attendants who can properly clean and care for them. This disaster cannot happen again. Also, we will build special facilities for more dangerous experiments. Already we are making things which should not be made inside a city."

Scorylo, "I can build a tower of three stories ringed by a wall. We will start with two of them. They will be locked and protected. We cannot let the mob get to our studies. One of the scribes died trying to protect his pigeons. They tore the cage from his hands and when they threw it into the flames, the scribe jumped into the flames to protect his birds."

Penelope, "So many people of wisdom died during these last three weeks. It is terribly sad. I watched as they slipped from our grasp. We must take the time to mourn."

Staro Zagora

The army had stopped at Staro Zagora. The wolf tribe fled north. People started coming out of the woods to join the army. They brought what they had. The army stayed stripping the land.

After a week, a group of horsemen came south with white banners near Plovdiv. Three men came and stood in an open field on horseback waiting. The army went and brought the men in.

They were brought before the Council of Plovdiv. Diaghis sat in the council representing Oak.

The leader of Plovdiv spoke up.

"Who are you that comes to raid our lands?"

One of the nomads spoke up, "I am Kull, blood brother to Oleg. We come from Varna where we are allied with the King Rogvold. We wish peace. Oleg has deposed the leader of the wolves who has failed in battle. We will no longer send men against you. There is no more wolf tribe. The Wolves now serve the Horse Tribe. To send men against you would be break our teeth."

The leader of Plovdiv, "Why should we believe you. We broke you, now you seek peace. How do we know that you mean well and can offer peace. You offered violence and stole our women and killed our men."

One of the men speaks, "I am not of the Kurgan, I am from Varna, I am Igor cousin to Rogvold. The horse tribe have allied with Varna and have been raiding into the Cucuteni lands who are soft. They do not wish to enter the lands of the Nestos League. The Horse Tribe has brought us wealth, brides, and brotherhood."

There is a moment of quiet.

Diaghis asks for the speaking staff from the leader of Plovdiv.

Diaghis, "What happened to the wolves? Why are they no longer wolves?"

Kull, "We came upon the wolves fleeing from the lands of Nestos League. We were fresh from asking for tribute in wives, grain, and copper from the Cucuteni. Men of Varna had joined us to take part in the glory of battle. We were many more than the wolves and we surrounded them. They were tired.

Oleg came to their leader and asked him why they fled. The leader said they lost in battle. Oleg challenged the wolf leader claiming he was not fit to lead the wolves, he was an impulsive fool. Oleg claimed the rite being of the nobility to challenge leadership. They met and fought and Oleg slew him. Oleg took the wolf leaders axe and claimed leadership of the tribe."

Diaghis, "How do we know, that you will not try and do the same to us as you did to the wolves."

Kull, "Oak brings us wealth. We have given horses, wool, and bronze for your spices, herbs, fine woods, and pots. You trade with us. Why destroy what brings you wealth?. We are here to let you know, that we will not enter your lands with arms if you do not enter ours at Varna except for trade."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse