NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations ( IC, Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:47 am

Part 4, Chapter 16: Under the Walls of Night

December 8th, 20 AG

The road to the border was paved diffidently, by the standards of the south - flat planed flagstones intermixed with cobbles worn smooth on either side of the wagon tracks, patches of pure cold earth here and there peeking through the snow - but it didn't slow our cavalcade unduly. The sturdy Hessians had enough mountain pony in their blood not to mind the fresh white powder that was drifting down diffidently through the air, and enough Highland draft to shoulder through the drifts without a complaint. They wouldn't surge to the sound of trumpets, trained more to heed the actions of their riders, but they could give a man on their shoulders a lead of days on any pursuing force, and that was enough. I wouldn't have wanted to walk the road barely visible beneath the drifting snow but the destrier beneath me knew exactly where to place its hooves, a fact for which I was most grateful.

As I was grateful for the thick cloak about my shoulders, a padded affair of thick woven wool braced by a decorative layer of thick black wolf pelt that was remarkably warm even in the depths of winter that were approaching languidly. Even the greatcoat needed a supplement in these conditions, and the woven scarf around my face was most welcome in driving back the sporadic gusts of icy breeze which wuthered here and there as we crossed the Eider. the sound of hooves on stone was replaced, for the most part, by the creaking of immense timbers, interspersed still as the shod hooves of our steeds met the pilings of the crossing here at Tharinsford.

On either side rose the earth ramparts of the Danevirke, and even at this hour lights could be seen moving upon the wall of rammed soil. It was more formidable than I had thought it might be, the height standing perhaps twice that of a man. It wouldn't take long to climb over for a lightly shod scout or outrider, but heavy infantry would struggle to mount the slope, certainly - a defensive advantage to any standing atop her watches. The smell of wet and must would certainly be formidable in the wetter seasons, and I did not envy those men that would have been entrusted with preventing erosion from filling the Eider with the remains of the ramparts. But that was their concern, not mine. Mine stood directly ahead of us, where the fortress of Skessugarður stood looming over the southernmost piercing in the defensive line.

Torches flickered there, guttering feebly against the dark December wind. In their light though a small party, perhaps half a dozen men, was visible standing before the great oaken doors which barred passage through the Danevirke. The squat citadel rose scarcely higher than the wall she pierced, a testament to the sheer labor that was necessary to raise such edifices, but her frowning battlements would have given most armies pause anyway - most of all because even a mediocre bowman could reach the center of the bridge behind us from those battlements, rendering any attempt to ford or seize the passages of the Eider a dubious affair.

Exactly, yes, exactly why were here.

As our cloaked figures approached, one of my men rode ahead of the small column, speaking in unaccented Norse. Many of those in the party understood it, of course - our sister tongue was a matter of study for those with a desire to understand the currents of Europe, and, moreover, scarce removed from Common, aside from some colloquialisms and pronunciations. His conversation with those waiting at the midnight hour was short, but productive. Heads nodded nearly invisibly beneath hoods, and at a barked word from one of the shadowy forms the great gates creaked open with the sound of rattling chains.

Under the passageway we road, the light of the pallid moon flitting between the clouds exchanged for the greasy light of torches and two braziers. A small shiver of apprehension ran up my spine at the scenario we currently stood within, but that was merely the paranoid part of my brain talking. After dismounting at some stables beyond the great gate, the men walked over and greeted us with mannerisms which were, all things considered, friendly enough - if brusque on account of the cold. Some of the faces were known to me, some not, but we all hurried in out of the frigid night with understandable alacrity.

The burnished iron-banded fir at my back was most welcome indeed, as was the flush of heat from the roaring hearth within the common room of the magistrate of Tharinsford. I nodded politely to the black-haired warrior seated behind his crudely fashioned desk, and then busied myself doffing the gloves and scarf with which I had adorned myself for the journey, handing the thick cloak to a servant which appeared nearly unnoticed from an alcove nearby.

"Messir Anders. Messir Fremur. Hegemon. I thank you for meeting with me."

I had meant to speak first, to thank the magistrate for his hospitality - but Magnus had never been a man content to let matters ebb and flow beyond his control. I stamped my feet for a few brief moments as the two other men muttered greetings as well, restoring circulation to the heavily socked feet beneath my thick cured boots, then addressed the master of the fortress.

"We are the ones who should be thanking you, Master Fremjur. A respite from the winter cold is most welcome, in whatever form it comes in, and to have a matter of personal interest added to that warmth? Such a gift is rare indeed."

Nicety, yes, but appreciated nonetheless. It was a delicate political dance which we would have to do here, of that I was certain, as was the agent which had first brought news of Magnus'... indecision. The Northlands were a volatile place these days, with a dozen factions baying in far more directions, and yet some manner of decorum had to be observed. Honor, fealty, those were two values the Norse still valued, perhaps even more than those of the south, for our method of governance placed more responsibility with the system than the individual.

"Your words are kind, Hegemon. Please, take seats - we may be here some time." The servant had produced several cushioned chairs that had been placed clustered close about the desk where the warlord sat, and I dutifully made my way over to the vestibules, alongside the other local men from across the border.

"You understand the reason why I asked you here, of course. It is not a subject I feel a need to explore in great depth." A true statement indeed. Treason, such as it was, was indecorous to discuss openly - even where it would only be seen as treason by some. Beneath Magnus' dark brows I could see pain even as he did his best to school his expression, something only someone with, perhaps, my depth of time with my fellow men might have divined. To a soldier who had poured out his life for the state to which he had been beholden, even considering the reason we were here must be a matter of emotional agony, one only matched by the conviction of necessity.

"The most important matter to discuss is the reassurances I have been offered. I would not see my people punished for my actions by vengeful men, nor, of course, am I interested in what the brigands might decide an appropriate castigation for my initiative. But something must be done - and the Concerned Citizen's Committee knows this better than any. Their advice to me has been sooth, and so you are here. So now I would hear it from your own lips - what shall be done if my people turn their hands to friendship with the south."

It was not yet my time to speak. Anders leaned forward, happily detailing the forces that could be crossing the border within a week, rapid reaction elements carefully dissembled and yet in readiness for just such an eventuality. The standing armies of the Northmen who might oppose such a movement were scattered and less numerous, and, in any case, difficult to move during the depths of winter. By spring we could present the change of allegiance as a fait accompli, placing the onus for escalation on the Strothing, a body not known for action save where that action could be taken without exertion. The Northman nodded at all the right points of the commander's exposition, his eyebrows rising slightly at the numbers that were revealed; clearly, whatever the Commonwealth's intelligence apparatus was, if it knew of the consolidation near Rive, it had not yet informed the masters of the Danevirke.

"And, of course, this marches with the guarantees that we would extend under any circumstances" Anders concluded. "As a sworn son of the Imperium, your lineage will be of first consideration when the time comes for you to move on to your eternal reward, and your people warded against any retaliation on the part of the Commonwealth, whatever the cost."

The burly warrior nodded politely, though his expression said that he cared little for the talk of Christendom, likely preferring his traditional gods or the worship of ancestors which the Norse oftentimes valued. That was neither here nor there - the same could be said about most of the governors and administrators from here to the stretches of the Iron Gates, even if the verbiage of public office did not necessarily reflect that reality. As Anders concluded, I could see that Fremur was winding up for his speech, but I cut him short with a pre-emptive movement of my right hand. We had come prepared for discussions of economic advantage, which were poignant to the traderfolk of Tharinsford and her surroundings, but this was not the time.

"Most important, honored magistrate, we offer stability. The Commonwealth is in foment, the sons of the 'Eternal Revolution' pitted against the establishment, pitted against the anti-clericists, pitted against those who would have war on every front, pitted against the moderates and the CCC. Roskilde will be a churning abyss of activism, radicalism, and contradictory legislation abrogating the rights of every man for generations to come. You owe them little, and they take much. Your people could prosper beneath the banner of the Imperium far better than alone or beholden to Roskilde's twisted vision of the world, and we would, if you are amenable, see them prosper in just such a manner."

Magnus' smile was wistful, and touched with irony.

"Perhaps you speak true, Viktor Nemtsov. I know there is also the matter of the Danevirke, and your feud with those in the Commonwealth who would kill any who embrace your faith. Your concern is not only for my people - but neither should it be, for such is my charge. Even so, there is at least enough truth in your words for me, and the scales balance as you say, however you might see that balancing compared to my perspective."

The black-haired chieftain rose, and nodded formally, drawing a blade from the scabbard at his side.

"It is decided. I have decided. Speak, and I shall answer."

It was to my bodyguards' credit that they had not drawn their weapons in turn. The Oaths did not carry any swearing of blades, though perhaps whatever fealty Magnus bore to his overlords had such a component. I rose from my chair, and nodded formally in my turn, trading in my conversational voice for the leaden tones of stalwart import which was more proper for such deliberations.

"Who comes to swear the oaths?"

"I am Magnus, son of Fremjur, master of the sons of Tharinsford and the Kindred of Amaste. I come to swear the Great Oaths."

"Magnus, son of Fremjur, master of the sons of Tharinsford and the Kindred of Amaste. The oaths you come to swear are not easily discarded. They will ward you, warm you, and guide you, but all men will know of their swearing. Take counsel in your heart. I ask now, as High Arbiter of the Imperium - who comes to swear the oaths?"

"I am Magnus, son of Fremjur, master of the sons of Tharinsford and the Kindred of Amaste. I come to swear the Great Oaths."
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Nuxipal
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nuxipal » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Javin Torrez
Town of Patna, Gangetic Plain, Late Autumn 2980 BCE

The town had seen some steady improvement this year, but the cool winds from the north were already coming down onto the plain. Javin's home would be crowded during the winter months while the personal wall and the town wall were being erected. It was now that news arrived from the south. One of the rising towns outside of their borders had asked for assistance. Jahanabad was its name. The messenger brought a dagger of iron as a gift for Javin. If there was some minor iron working being done further south, then Javin needed to get there and bring the knowledge north with him. He knew that working iron required higher temperatures than what the forges here could handle.

"Do not worry, we will assist Jahanabad. Who is our foe?" The messenger then replied with, "Gaya, a town to the south. Their chief has made a point to march northwards to the Ganges and conquer everything in his path." Nodding, this was the next generation's warlord of the region then. He knew that in most eras of history there is always one or more people in positions of power which seek to expand their lands for personal gain. This must be the current one.

"I understand. I will raise what troops that we can spare and lead them south to Jahanabad. Hopefully, we will arrive before our enemy does."

The messenger added, "He has sent envoys to Jahanabad already. He seeks our submission so he doesn't waste his men fighting. He believes that your town would be the most difficult and final obstacle to his conquest."

This made sense as well. Patna had grown to be the largest and wealthiest of the towns in the region. As the messenger left he sent his own runner to the assembly as well as runners to raise as many troops as they could muster to meet in the field south of Patna as soon as they possibly could.

As the days moved by, Patna's guard dispatched 200 men and another 120 men from the civilian population joined them. As they went they were joined by guards and recruits from various directions. By the end of the week and the beginning of the march, 1100 men and women had assembled as a fighting force. Without any cavalry, Javin prepared them in the skirmishing and fighting groups like twenty years ago. His own weapons and armor were matched in some other warriors there. Sword and spear of bronze, breastplate and helmet of copper. Leather or treated cotton, another of the methods Javin taught various groups who had access to the resource, for arm and leg guard. Regular wool or cotton clothing beneath it all. Javin's helmet even sported feathers from peafowl showing his status as the ruler. Several others also sported such feathers, but in less elaborate displays.

The army marched to meet up with Jahanabad, but once they arrived at the city they found it was under siege. An army about 2/3 of their size was encamped at the main gate of the town. The other gates had been blockaded as best as they could and it was clear that if any relief came, those positions would be the easiest to break through. Javin marched his army into full view of the siege camp and arrayed them into battle formation. He had numbers and an ally within the fortified town. With the Gayan army between his army and the town, it was no surprise that a single messenger came running across the field. After being relieved of their weapons by guards the messenger delivered what he had to Javin from his master.

"My master, the great Raja Lakhan welcomes the Guru Javin. He was not aware that you were still alive after the plague which ravaged Patna some years ago. He is overjoyed that you are alive and wishes to meet you personally to discuss personal matters."

Javin looked impressed that this Lakhan had known of him. "Tell your master we will have one meeting."

With that the messenger ran off back to his master's camp. Javin knew he was either stalling for time or looking to convince him to join his rising Kingdom. Either way, Javin decided that stalling for time didn't work in this Lakhan's favor as the longer it took for him to meet with Javin, the longer Jahanabad had to muster their men and prepare a breakout when the battle commenced.

It was nearly an hour before there was a bit of commotion up at the front of his men. Javin, who was discussing plans with the tribal chiefs went to see what was happening. Lakhan had indeed arrived, bringing nearly fifty people with him as a guard and was asking for Javin to come to stand between the armies to speak. Seeing the man's caution Javin was ready and stepped forward. He had spear in one hand and helmet in the other. As he reached the midway point he handed his spear and helmet to one of his soldiers who had come with him. Lakhan did not seem to be equipped similarly to Javin. Though he had a breastplate and a sword, there was no armor on his arms or legs and he did not carry a spear.

"Ah, the Guru Javin lives! I can say, you are much younger than I expected you to be after hearing stories of you. I must say, this is a most fortuitous event. I was going to march all the way to Patna, conquering on the way to make sure your legacy did not fall with you." Javin at this point put a hand up to stop him from continuing his flowery speech so that he could respond. "I hate to cut you short.. Raja Lakhan was it? Jahanabad is under my protection at this point. I would as you to lift the siege and return to Gaya. If we are to fight a pitched battle, your men would lose and I would march on Gaya itself, with you dead or in captivity to watch my warriors lay siege and then ransack the town of its wealth and valuables. Patna has plenty of space to resettle your women and children. Do not put it past me to take the whole of the population into my possession."

At this Lakhan looked somewhat nervous. "Unfortunately, I will be declining and instead counter-offering. We split Jahanabad and its wealth down the middle. They are on their last legs and my men have already gotten into position for an attack today before your arrival. You seem to have bought them the day by just arriving. Split the city with me and we will become allies. I will halt my advance and Jahanabad will become the border of our realms."

Javin thought on the matter, however, he had made a promise before many of the chiefs and captains that were present in his army. A promise to defend any town or village which joined into a union with Patna. So, sighing with a heavy heart, Javin spoke again to Lakhan. "I am sorry to hear that you will decline my offer. It was a fair offer. I am more sorry however that I will be gone from my home for so long dealing with Gaya and its allies. Unless you lay prostrate before me now, as a subject, your realm and Patna are now at war."

Lakhan looked to his own captains before saying, "Then we will meet on the field. Good luck Guru Javin." To which, Javin responded, "You can start calling me Maharaja Javin. I will look for you on the field."

Battle of Jahanabad

Lakhan and his men marched back to their camp where Javin could see his army preparing itself. However, once they arrived there it looked like instead of facing towards the Patnan army, they had faced towards Jahanabad and launched a full assault. Seeing this, Javin urged his men forward to attack the Gayan Camp and he dispatched 100 men to get to and clear a second gate for the Jahanabad civilians to be able to escape from should it be needed.

Leading his army forward, the paltry force before him, some 200 men, were doing their best to prepare themselves to just slowly hold back the Patnan advance. Javin sent the skirmishers forward after noticing that the Gayan skirmishers were firing on the wall. Arrow fire began landing among the lightly armored warriors opposite to Javin. He let them fire a half-dozen volleys before he ordered them to cease-fire and rejoin the main line. Javin's Patnans held the center well. They were the best trained warriors he had and he knew that he could count on their discipline. He knew eventually he would have to come up with better tactics for his warriors, but for now, strong center smashing through a thin enemy line worked just fine. As the two forces impacted, his own flanks were wider than the enemy flanks and were able to get in behind them and soon the 200 or so warriors had been killed, wounded, or captured. A messenger of his own came up to him panting. They'd come from the far side of the town.

"We have broken the enemy siege and are entering the city to assist our allies, however, it seems the Gayan forces are already inside as well. There is heavy street fighting and our forces had to pull back." As the messenger finished Javin nodded. "Maintain positions outside of that gate. We will push in through here and defeat the Gayan armies inside and outside of the walls. Do not let them escape on your end."

The messenger ran off as Javin sent his men towards the, clearly open, gate. Javin noticed that the wooden palisade had been damaged heavily and would need to be replaced here. Fighting echoed in the town as Javin and his troops cleared away some Gayan warriors. Without much area for maneuvering, the Gayans had turned the battle into one of attrition where individual warriors or groups of warriors could maintain positions for hours against larger foes. However, this worked both ways. Javin and his group of some thirty or so warriors were breaking Gayan units all across the city. Javin's size seemed to be a factor many times over. He was still nearly a foot taller than most of the other warriors and with his size, he had made himself a longer spear. The extra reach meant that he was able to hit enemies long before they were a threat to him. As night began to set in, and battle fatigue was setting in, Javin and his men began to find places to encamp. He found that most of the local warriors had been slain and that only a handful had been found here and there. Civilians were still in their homes hiding for the most part.

During the night, the Gayans began setting fires as they launched a pre-dawn assault to break through to one of the gates, or even just a wall section they could break through from the inside. They were desperate to escape. As the fires raged, Javin ordered the civilian population to be evacuated from Jahanabad. His forces fought to the Gayan positions and there Javin had a very brief fight with Lakhan who, despite his bravado the day before, had become exhausted from constant fighting and was slain by Javin's spear.

The last Gayans surrendered and then the city was evacuated as it slowly burned to the ground. Javin shook his head. Lakhan had died, but he destroyed an entire town in the process. They kept camp there for three more days as Javin organized the refugees and recruited those willing to march south with them. His forces had shrunk to about 900. He was certain however that Gaya would be quite under defended as most of their army had melted away in this battle. Javin sent the refugees back north towards Patna when he and his men began marching south.
National Information: http://kutath.weebly.com/

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:08 pm

A STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND

The Chamber of Swords, The White Palace, Mara, The Imperium of Man
February 22nd, 20 AG

The heavy doors to the audience room opened slowly, pushed by two soldiers in the sable greatcoats emblematic of the guardians of those of highest value to the Imperium. Graven of single mighty forest pines, some of the largest ever felled on the reaches of the Erzgebirge, they nonetheless pivoted on the carefully calibrated hinges that had been designed to bear their weight with an amount of effort which was entirely asynchronous from what many expected. Eyes turned throughout the chamber to the main doors, for this was not an instance which occurred frequently - those invited to court during the rare instance where the Hegemon hosted the full assembly of notables in Mara used, as a rule of thumb, smaller red pine entryways placed in recessed alcoves of the granite chamber. It was singularly unusual for the main doors to be utilized, as was the fact that a man in opulent ermine paced ahead of the newcomer with a tall steel staff in his hand.

The man spoke aloud, his voice booming forward, his great height clearly chosen for how well it drew eyes. His Common was nearly unaccented, and clearly comprehensible to all in attendance, save, perhaps, the Accant that followed in his wake.

“Master Breaga of Icedonia, representative of the Sevrant of Israel. He comes to address the Hegemon and the Council as a token of accord with the conclusion of the recent hostilities.”

Ah, that got their attention, if nothing else. The industrialists, merchants, Explorators, and military men in attendance eyed up the man with renewed interest. His clothes were simple, but his bearing proud, his weapons primitive but well-maintained. The eyes of some of the officers narrowed - the stories of what exactly went on in Icedonia were not widely circulated outside of the military, and not entirely believed even where others had heard them. But some knew the truth of the matter, from reputable sources or otherwise.

The herald stepped to one side, gesturing the Icedonian man forward, onto the length of deep scarlet carpet that stretch the cool chamber of dark stone.

Straight legged strides, whose steps seemed to echo ominously across the voluminous hall, carried the Icedonian emissary to within meters of the Imperial hegemon. Braega, looked something alien to the grandiose regalia which adorned both the people and room surrounding him: his steel blue robes seeming muted compared to fabulous garments worn by the aristocratic onlookers, flowing as he walked - blown as though by some unforeseen breeze. His height was something tremendous for this age, only inches shorter than the Hegemon seated in front of him. Though the single piece of jewelry in his possession, a bronze pendant upon his shoulder depicting the Goldfinch - a common symbol among accants - made him out to be an accant, clearly this man had led a life far more trying than that of a bureaucrat. Broad shoulders and solid arms protruding from beneath his robes spoke of some kind of intensive physical regime. Being an Icedonian, it was curious then that he should wear a somewhat lengthy beard, as well as allowing his hair to grow down to his shoulders. More astute observers might have supposed the fashion to cover his gaunt face, but who was to say except for the man himself? For all his time since having entered into the Imperium, some days ago, he’d hardly said a word, Imperial or Andonian, to anyone. Until now.

He stood at the position of parade rest, a respect most commonly shown to sergeants within the Army, now being rendered to a foreigner. He gaze was even, and behind gray eyes, a cold intensity could be spotted.

“ I have been lead to believe that you have a gift for language. “

The first words came in Andonian, his voice low and loud, his wording concise.

“ An uncanny aptitude, to understand and even speak in any tongue which crosses your path? Is this so? “

The man on the low throne stirred as the Icedonian spoke, and his youthful eyes that seemed strangely old focused on the newcomer’s lips for a brief moment, before his own moved for a second silently. Around the chamber the dozens of figures in attendance grew silent, some no doubt curious what the foreign language meant, a few of their number perhaps grasping the implications of the speech, all understanding the import of the tongue being spoken.

“I do at that, Accant Breaga. Such is my gift - like unto the gift of your master. Andonian, Common, Hibernian, Scythe, Thespian, even the archaic patois of the people of the Middle Isles. In this I share your Isaac’s talents. Is there ought your master has bid be said unto me and mine?”

“ Indeed. The message which I have been bid to say… we forgive you.

Though tactical, Braega had been more than a bit cheeky in not letting on that he at least knew some amount of the Imperial’s common. In saying, we forgive you, he was sure to utter it in their tongue.

“ Rather, the Sevrant forgives you and the Imperium. The conflict which brought our citizens into battle against one another was not one borne of malevolence by one party or another - but ignorance! Upon our heads and yours. “

Braega sighed, waving a hand distastfully, clearing showing something resembling regret.

“ We’d no idea that what had brought you to our shores was a desire to deter those savages from the Commonwealth. When news had come down from the north, hundreds of warriors from across the sea erecting battlements, we had mustered our armies and marched out to meet you. We had let fear overtake our reason and caution. By the time we had discovered the truth of your mission, it was too late. Our soldiers and yours were already thick in combat. Your people… could not have known that the land they were coming upon belonged to the Virtuous people. We allowed rashness to influence our decisions. The Sevrant believes that, you are a reasonable man - someone who cares for the welfare of his people. Grudges are the poison of savages, and he has no desire to hold one against you or this nation. So, “

Bringing his hands to front and clasping them over his waist, Braega seemed to convey a most heartfelt emotion.

“ I have come, bearing our forgiveness. For the dead, the pain, and all the loss brought on by that conflict. In the Virtuous Land, you shall find no enemy within it’s borders.

The Hegemon had sat up straighter in his throne upon hearing the words we forgive you, his posture no longer that of a man leaning forward to learn, but a ruler being addressed by an emissary - as it was apparent, he was. Once the Icedonian finished speaking, curious glances rebounded across the chamber and particularly toward the Hegemon, some men and women already whispering what no doubt they had understood - or half understood - of the short speech. Viktor nodded, almost to himself, and spoke aloud to the chamber, not to Breaga.

“The Icedonian ambassador brings words of reconciliation and an… interesting version of events that his master has bid him recall. He speaks of forgiving the men of the Imperium for their… trespass upon the shores of Icedonia, the Virtuous Land. A forgiveness extended from his master.”

That set the tongues to wagging quickly, though a hand raised from the Hegemon’s dais stilled them just as swiftly. His gaze then turned back down to the Accant who stood before him, and he spoke in Andonian once more, sibilant and smooth as his birth-speech might have been if any here spoke it.

“Grudges are the poison of more than just savages, Master Breaga. Civilized men may bear them in their hearts as easily as any, if they choose to embrace such a course. Your forgiveness I accept in the spirit of reconciliation with which it was offered, but you may need clarification upon one point - a point perhaps that your Sevrant has not deigned to inform you of. The Kindreds, those men who served alongside those of my own charge, owed no allegiance to your Sevrant, bowed no knee to his banner. The forces of your master’s armies came to a region inhabited only by those of simple mind and pure heart, no more beholden to his rule than are the steps of my own palace. He would do well to remember that. It is a wide world, and a man who declares without the consent of the governed that he stands as their master will soon find his rule cut off at the knees, to be forgotten.”
It was a mere aside though, a matter, perhaps, of philosophy. The Hegemon sat back in his chair after the swift speech of the northern men, and addressed the court once more in Common for all to understand.

“The messenger of the Icedonian King, Isaac, I receive now in the good graces of my office as High Arbiter. There are many matters to be decided, both small and large, minutiae to be analyzed which would weigh heavy even on the minds who care greatly about their provenance. Here I announce, at least, the cessation of all hostile intent toward the Virtuous People of the north, and accord them the status of fellow-men of Europa, after the manner of the Hibernians, to be granted egress to our ports and waterways and cities after the same fashion as they come in peace. Hear now, and bear witness.”

The many uniformed and resplendent figures around the chamber bowed each in their turn at the words, a formality, but useful nonetheless. It ended the formal time of receiving for the Court, for Breaga had come but late in the day to Mara, and slowly the notables of the Imperium began to file back out of the alcoves to the side. With that matter attended to, Viktor nodded to the Icedonian ambassador, and spoke once more in Andonian.

“Now that your speech is heard, you would honor me by attending a council in the Chamber of Roses with my inner circle. We have much to discuss of particular matters such as the disposition of shipping rights and other such small things to welcome your master formally to the circle of nations which would be tedious to do in the full court.”
Last edited by Joohan on Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:22 pm

2 months, 3 days, 0 years since arrival.
Sariah, Sertig Valley, Switzerland

The three men anointed by the prophet Marley Camdens had taken the long journey back to their various nomad tribes to testify. Granted, neolithic religion didn't blend well with Marley's liberally interpretive yet paradoxically hardline Mormonism-- the hype had been raised, souls had been interested, and the wandering bodies wanted to feel some purpose to their lives. As of the current date, Sariah boomed from a permanent population of 11 to approximately 55. Marley's L-shaped house gained another floor and became more structurally supported. Multiple houses following the same basic manner of which he built them were constructed under his guidance to fit the new population. There, he would orally teach the doctrines of his reformed version of the church to eager people, trying to explain biblical concepts as simply as possible, and building off of that knowledge from future sessions. Prophesizing the creation of the Bible and Book of Mormon, he often convinced his followers by delivering specific scriptures and lessons he had been taught. From Lehi's vision of the tree of life to Moses parting the red sea, Camdens seemed like a reservoir of information to his blonde-haired blue-eyed brethren.

Aside from the main road bearing the residential areas, the first church was constructed, small and only capable of housing about double the town's miniscule population. Still, lots of effort went from the firm bricks to white-painted wooden supports to even a steeple of vines and tightly bound bricks. Carving into the side of the structure "The Church of Jesus Christ of Candor Saints" in both English and the prototypic German his followers spoke. That sabbath day would be celebrated by resounds of cheers, a long sermon, a feast of bear meat, a burnt offering, and oral education of many hymns in both languages. He struggled to assemble his followers into a chorus by teaching them music-- the theory of which he knew little but yet retained the lyrics and notes in his old hymnbooks well. Having them sing in their tongue was alright, but English-- even if he spent long periods of time focusing on sounding out and memorization-- was like telling a primary choir to sing in latin. It would become obvious that at some point, they would have to change languages completely.

"Let us never work another Sabbath day again!" was a popular phrase.

2 months, 18 days, 0 years since arrival.

The first pair of missionaries-- two women who seemed to pick everything up incredibly easily and recite the gospel with fluency-- were chosen to be sent out beyond where the witnesses had gone, to the origin of the nomad's nomads, and so on and so forth. The small tannery/tailor building set up was put into overdrive in an attempt to make two matching elegant dresses for them-- something completely alien to the natives. With direct oversight, they were decent. Made out of fine leather vests, boots, and bracers and woven fabric (which in itself was a rarity-- Camdens felt the need to splurge and drive production into overdrive to make them look exceedingly beautiful). Their lips had been reddened by the heated and thickened concentrate of both fresh berries and flowers, and their hair had been braided as quickly as possible. Each of them were given a wooden locket of a carving of an Edelweiss flower connected by a braid of plant fibers and fur caps/vests if the weather proved to be bad. They had been dubbed sister "Emma" and sister "Elena". Nearly everyone had been re-named by the Prophet into something more elegant as if to further push the cultural changes he had brought forth. They had even been given a few pieces of parchment with leather coverings which held key scriptures, lessons, locations, and everything a potential convert needed to know. They were sent out as a pair back the way the nomads from before had came in an attempt to grow the population more.

Meanwhile, two massive wooden boards had been constructed before the church. One bore the Ten Commandments, the other simply served as a notice board. A few people had become the town's first miners in an attempt to bring materials like stone, marble, and maybe even copper into use to expand the capability of the town's infrastructure. The first English class came and passed with little improvement beyond basic phrases like 'yes', 'no, 'maybe' and 'hello'. A town militia had been raised part-time, and the more disciplined and skilled quickly rose the ranks and soon became the trainers. Bows and arrows had been manufactured, casting the throwing spear as a secondary ranged weapon. As of late that night, the last resident had officially been baptized by the prophet into the church.
The Spiritual Republic of Caryton
(CARYTON VIDEO)
A serene & puritan 80s-90s tech agrarian Christian fundamentalist nation with no separation between church and state. Wide prairies, fertile plains, archaic clothing, clean skies, lack of modern influence, universal prohibition, kind societies, and simple austere lives forge the Carytonic identity.
Music of Caryton: [8-29-22] Classic Carytonic Sing-Along Hymns

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:34 pm

A Day in the Life (Victor Spear)

After visiting the Tower of Learning, Victor Spear took a walk around the grounds of the House of Wisdom. It helped clear his mind and gave him time to think.

This was followed briefing from the Hands who provided a detailed report on Cyclades as well as actions taken by Barrabas and Scilla in Mesopotamia against Uruk. There has been a steady inflow of metals from Uruk. In addition, there have been attacks of unknown origin on caravans in Mesopotamia. He hoped to not get embroiled in another war.

After his briefing, he went to a meeting of the Crimean Weavers Association where he gave a short welcome speech and sat in for the half hour part of the public meeting. He sat impassively and counted his breath while the meeting went on, trying to not let his mind wander too much.

'Welcome and excellent blessings to our friends from Crimea. We wish wealth and prosperity to occur between Crimea and the Nestos League. Trade is beneficial for both Crimea and the Nestos League. Your coming here will hopefully help us bring prosperity and warm scarves between our two nations. I am happy to accept the two pairs of ceremonial wool socks from the Weavers Association. I wish you all well and hope that our working together is long and bountiful.”

This was followed by an end of the day dinner at the Scholar Naturalists farm. They had a big vegetarian feast in honor of Scholar Den's Birthday. There were tables laden with different fruits, vegetables, a thick vegetable soup, and dark bread.

Victor Spear gave a toast with some strong red wine, “To Scholar Den, one of the first scholars and a man of honor, peace, and brotherhood. A man who most respected and loved. A man who respected nature and studied plants and animals. A kind man who taught the value of helping others, treating the sick, and telling stories with strong values. His presence in my life was a blessing.”

He quietly listened to a conversation on green house tomatoes, cucumber, and cabbage. There had been a huge crop of cucumbers and they were giving them away. Victor Spear decided to go home after his fourth cup of wine. His bodyguards helped him to his waiting wagon.

When he got home, he tried to read for a little bit, but fell asleep with a codex in his hand lulled by the strong wine and the busy day.

He dreamed of fields of flowers and greenhouses. In his dream, he was sitting on a bench reading a book on weaving in the center of a field of red poppies. The sky was electric blue and he felt at peace with himself.

Thus ended a day in the life of Victor Spear.

3rdBritan
Envoy

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby 3rdBritan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:03 pm

YEAR 3 DAY 265
ihave received news from the bandits who are now imperial guards. i had sent detachments of them south east,north west and South west
The Bandits south east have discovered some sort of Proto Sumeria. It is not natural. so far as i can tell. It seems to be technologically advanced, more so than Crete, which still has about 280 years to develop as a trading nation proper. it still does trade of course though it rarely ventures further than Peloponesia north and Memphis south. To the west of our nation some Greek cultures tell of Two superpowers engaging in a very warm cold war. Ha. I bet Hibernia does not even exist. Bye this time even the greatest of western civilizations must be hindered. We have made contact however with traders from some place called the imperium and set up each other on the maps. It is to far to be of a helpful economic trading partner. But at least we acknowledge each others presence. To The east we also hear tales of a Pre Martha Indian dynasty That is technologically further behind the Middle east technologically. It will watch hopelessly as Indus valley falls to us later. We will not conquer it until we have the strength but once we do we will keep pushing.

Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:10 pm

3 months, 11 days, 0 years since arrival.

The past developments of the several living houses, tanneries, a tailor, a baker, grain storage units, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Candor Saints of month two had been the mere surface of what had been sustained past then. The first farms emerged, small-scale yet communally worked. Marley Camdens outlawed the currency, and instead had the farmers plant their wild grains together in an attempt to grow more. The prophet had made it a keystone to outlaw currency, social classes, and excessively disproportional private land. Marley did this to solve the problem of corruption before it began. Extensive welfare and donation programs were set up, alongside a trade regulator sustained by a neutral third party, land applications, and an early social credit system pointed to the faithful who did good deeds.

The wood sorrel and stinging nettle edible plants had also begun to be farmed in smaller quantities-- nutritious and suitable for soups and stews. Meat still made up a large portion of the Camdenite's diet-- so wild grain was converted into grain mush or rustic, crude, unleavened bread to counter this.

The Sertig river has been nicknamed the "River Jordan" out of biblical significance and a homage to Marley's past. This had been the main baptism method so far. Inevitably, the population slowly grew from 55 to 60 within the month due to the pair of missionaries sent out. Classes on biblical education had been almost nightly, and English class had been impossibly slow, but a little bit of headway with the oral speaking of the alphabet and basic questions had been made.

Marley Camdens had also fell in love, with both a beautiful young boy of 19 and a notably fair complexion, and a girl of beautiful braids and a fondness of flowers. Still, he refused to be married to them immediately because a temple had not been constructed. He began a non-intimate courtship with each of them, also taking the time to explain the importance of chastity, family, and moral values. Still, this brought up a much more prevalent issue. There was no temple.

To the miners, he had ordered:

"The Lord, our Heavenly Father hath ordained me to ordain that you collect a massive quantity of large blocks of marble to be sculpted parts at a time, to form a temple where God shall live in our souls in the utmost sacrosanctity. It shall be a multitude of cubits high and wide, and shall bear our finest landscaping. I shall anoint the building process with my wisdom, but bear in mind that everyone that hath the practical knowledge of manual labor shall be conscripted to build this temple. The temple will precede the jobs they are assigned, for it is of the highest glory of the Celestial Kingdom that we may have and cherish this temple."
(CARYTON VIDEO)
A serene & puritan 80s-90s tech agrarian Christian fundamentalist nation with no separation between church and state. Wide prairies, fertile plains, archaic clothing, clean skies, lack of modern influence, universal prohibition, kind societies, and simple austere lives forge the Carytonic identity.

Nuxipal
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nuxipal » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:42 pm

Javin Torrez
Siege of Gaya, Early Winter 2980 BCE

Winter began to set in as the Patnan army and its allies made camp around the town of Gaya. It was just smaller than Patna, though rumors was its ally was just as big as Patna and had not lost as many men at Jahanabad. This town was Aurangabad, and would need to be subjugated in time. For now he was focused on Gaya, the city's defenders were few, but they had been very determined. No negotiations were held and it was clear that they were running without a ruler as different gates employed different strategies to hold back his probing tactics. It had already been a week into the siege when he found where he'd strike. He brought his captains together to discuss the plan of attack.

"Alright, so the western gate is the easiest to breach. Its defenders seem fewer than in other areas and their attempts to stop our probing strikes have resulted in the deaths of none of our men and several dozen of theirs. The wall there lacks sufficient protection for anyone who is attempting to hide from arrow fire. We will hit them there first and then set off two separate diversionary strikes on the Northern and eastern gates. We will hold our main attack until the Western defenders are whittled down to near their breaking point. Four hundred of our men will reposition from the north to attack the west gate. That thrust will coincide with a move of 100 men to the east gate, but they will return to the north once the west gate is breached. Alright, I will hold the north unit under my command. You all have your positions. Let your men know that if the town falls, each of them will be rewarded for their service."

With that, the army moved itself into position. Javin signaled the attacks to begin, the diversionary attacks were doing pretty well, though on the west gate his gathered skirmishers had made such short work of the defenders there he wasn't sure any one even knew that the wall was now undefended. His forces swung around to the west where he met with the western captain who said something strange to him. "This was far too easy, perhaps the scouts not returning this morning was just them getting lost on the way back."

They were inside the walls when Javin realized he meant scouts he sent out to the west. "What do you mean they didn't return? That's something you should have said in the meeting." It was no sooner that this came to realization that a messenger arrived. "Maharaja Javin, an army has attacked our forces to the west, they number about 700." Javin swore. "Advance through the city towards the north gate. And you." He grabbed the messenger, "Relay to our captains that all troops outside of the city are to coordinate an attack on the north gate and to repel any attack coming from outside the city. Once we have broken out of the city, we will withdraw to Jahanabad or Patna, depending on our numbers and their pursuit."

A great and valiant day had just become a nightmare. Fighting his way through the city was much less satisfying knowing that they would never keep the city itself. As they reached the north gate, his own men already controlled it. They escaped the city and found their camp in the midst of a great battle, one they would not win. "Damn, lets help the best we can and get ourselves out of here." He said to those he was with. About 300 Patnans joined the battle raging between the Aurangabadi and Patna's allies.

As Javin fought his way through he realized that they lost too many men as it were. "Sound a general retreat. Patna, not even Jahanabad."

Within an hour Javin and many of his men were far north of the decimation. However, the defeat had been catastrophic. Of the various towns involved, Patna took the worst of it. Down to just 200 men from Patna and its surrounding countryside, Javin watched as the various warriors dispersed towards their own towns. As he arrived in Patna it was clear, the walls were incomplete. The army there was not sufficient to defend it. Those Jahanabadi who had made it to the town were still in the process of settling in.

Return to Patna, Early Winter 2980 BCE

Javin approached Irra and talked to her. "The enemy will be here soon. There is no doubt. The Assembly has already told me they plan on surrendering. The town will be spared, but I do not think we should stay here. Myself and several of the captains are ready to escape the region. I am asking if you will come with."

Irra, who was very pregnant at this point, looked saddened and said, "Of course I will come. I'll talk with the people here and see how many will be coming. When do we leave?"

Javin looked outside as the sun was setting. "In three hours. During the night. Less likely to be seen by the enemy army as it approaches." Nodding, Irra moved about the house as Javin found the stonemasons he had working on his home. "You are welcome to return to your homes or come with me. I doubt this building will be standing in two days time." Nodding in agreement, "You are right, but I can't leave. I will be staying behind. I don't know where you plan to go, but it better be very far away from here. The Assembly may have said they were surrendering, but what they meant is they are surrendering you. The messengers from Gaya and Aurangabad mentioned your name specifically several times. I think your life will be given up for the city."

Nodding and thanking him for his work, Javin handed him a small blue stone. "That is the first precious stone I received when I arrived here. If you are staying, I want you to keep it, and my home. If you and other families are living in it without me, its more likely to remain standing. Do what is right for Patna and help them after this is all over. They will need to rebuild."

Three hours passed and the soon-to-be refugees met outside of the town in a field along the river. Some three hundred people in all. Javin initially planned for fewer, but the number grew so large that it became impossible for him to say no to everyone. They began their journey following the Ganges river first southwest, using the river as a barrier between them and where the war had been raged. Stopping at Arrah, which had already sent messengers of surrender to Aurangabad, but they still took on half of the refugees who had decided not to come any further. Another quarter had turned back before then.

Trans-Gangetic Exodus, Winter 2879 BCE

When they finally left Arrah, they were down from three hundred to about seventy or so individuals. Many of them soldiers from Javin's guard while others were merchants. Soon they were able to come across a town that several of the merchants had been to before in their travels. Varansai they called it. Javin had visited here once in the past, though it was as a Guru, not an exiled warrior. Here they were able to acquire boats for the party and now posed as a merchant caravan working their way up the Ganges. From Varansai to Prayagraj where they moved from the Ganges to the Yamuna River which from his own knowledge of history, Javin knew went further west than the Ganges did, and would be preferable for what he had already planned for them.

Though they lost one or two people at each stop, they continued on their way up the Yamuna river during the remainder of the winter. Javin stopped his men from using the term Maharaja any longer as he no longer held control over a sizable area of land to warrant such a title. Instead, to return to the title of Guru as he was somewhat known by the people further up the Ganges and in the upper Indus Valley by this title. They passed Agra during mid-winter celebrations and found their way much easier. The Guru Javin had been known to several merchants and he met with a caravan merchant named Prabhu, who had met Javin long ago when he was still a child.

Javin talked with him and soon Javin heard a name he recognized. "Hold on Prabhu, you do business in Harappa?" The man nodded, "Yes, it is one of the more profitable routes. I am about to head over that way in a few days if you want to come along." Javin smiled, he knew plenty about Harappa. He had written an entire paper on the disappearance of the Indus Valley civilizations during his time in college and this was one of the places he had focused on. He knew the city was fairly well advanced and his arrival would be quite the game changer for a city that should be already on the rise. He knew its origins involved a much older city that was all but forgotten now, even to him, but at this time period they should either be a rising power or the dominant power in the north Indus region.

"We will be coming along then Prabhu. I'll let everyone know we will be selling our boats and going along with a merchant friend to a large town that is nearly a world away from Patna."

So far they had mostly traveled by boat and crossed most of the continent. It had taken them a month and they were exhausted. Here, Javin lost another half of his people in the town of Patiala. One of those was Irra, who refused to go further saying that she should have stayed behind in Patna. Javin unfortunately had foreseen this. He had seen her talking with some of the other women and even some of the men about stopping their travels. In the split, almost everyone who wasn't a former guard or one of the few wives that had not been convinced to remain by Irra remained behind. Javin, thirty guards, and five guard wives joined Prabhu as he made the trek. They assisted in carrying food and supplies as the few cattle that Prabhu had were not enough to carry all the supplies they would need to make it there or to trade with.

Arrival in Harappa

The approach to Harappa was less grand than Javin had hoped for. His arrival went unrecognized by most ordinary people. However, a day into his stay a wealthy merchant invited him to dinner. After seeing that his guards had been properly paid from the few coins Javin brought with him, he then met with the merchant of Harappa. In his home, rather lavish compared to some of the others, the man had a large dinner placed out before them. "So, you are the Guru Javin that I've heard about helping the small tribes and villages in the eastern country. What brings you all the way here?"

Javin smiled before telling the exact truth, "War unfortunately. An ally of my town was attacked, we moved to defend. Succeeded, counter attacked and fell into an ambush. The Assembly I created was willing to have me executed to appease the aggressors, so myself and a large number of people fled. I do now know what will happen to the people of Patna, but I do know that my work is not yet done."

Nodding, the merchant waves over another of his servants to refill the grain beer they were drinking with the dinner. "I see, so what you need is a new home. A place to teach. I can provide that for you. Stay in my house. I am one of the seven men who hold sway in this city and having you in my home will provide me with a large degree of influence. I do wish to know why you came alone."

Shaking his head Javin responded, "Not alone, I have about thirty five others. Thirty of them are former guards that I have trained and equipped in Patna with bronze and copper." At the sound of that the merchant smiled, "Then I will hire them as my contribution to Harappa's guard, assuming they will all be happy to join up. Combat veterans are hard to come by. Harappa is the largest city in the region, but we don't exactly have much competition nearby. We prefer trading and learning to warfare and conquest."

Javin saw his chance and took it, "Very well then. I will live here, my men will work for the city guard. I just need to know who I should be thanking for this excellent hospitality." The merchant smiled, "You can call me Akhil Sangama. I would suggest that in the near future, you start thinking about changing your name so that when merchants come from the Ganges, you are not immediately known by name. If I had kept my own name, I doubt I would have amounted to anything in this city after all."

With that Javin was required to think on his future. he delivered the news to his men and their wives. They were all very happy with the outcome. Javin was given a spacious room in Akhil's manor. Though Akhil's resouces, he found that Harappa was at least two hundred years old, perhaps older. Using what he knew of Harappa, he was able to better get an idea as to what was happening in other parts of the world. He estimated he had fallen back in time nearly five thousand years. This put them solidly before Harappa was the most influential settlement in the region, and well before it was at its maximum size. That being said, according to Akhil himself, the city still boasted over ten thousand inhabitants within its large stone walls and many thousand more in the surrounding areas under its control. Javin had his work cut out for him, solving the needs of a large settlement would be completely different than teaching a village how to better farm and how to create copper and bronze tools.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:18 am

Linns, Eastern Ireland- Late August 20 AME (2980 BCE)
Their Royal Duties

Cathalan Iníon Dhroichead Átha Kolman
Lord Còmhan of Linns was a disgusting old man. It seemed that with each passing year his physical state degraded a little further, parallel to his declining social status. Where once he had been seen as a great chief, tall and muscular to fit the mental image, the shifting social norms of eastern Ireland had rendered his way of thinking obsolete. As cities like Knowth grew rich on the shared technological and economic growth of Dublin, Còmhan resolutely defended his autonomy as a sovereign chief, to which his people, ever wary of their Boyne rivals, cheered. But as time went on, the disparity became clear. While Linns wallowed in muddy roads and small huts, insignificant hamlets like Kildare grew into prosperous trade hubs with paved roads and clean water. While Linns nearly starved during the Great Winter of 10 AME, towns much further north like Antrim were cleared of snow and open to relief within a matter of days. While Còmhan could do nothing but watch as his wife died of an easily prevented infection, proper medical treatment had seen infant and maternal mortality rates plummet across the island. While Còmhan grew thin and frail, his stomach only distended from the rest of his frame by over consumption of alcohol, and his bald head covered in liver spots, even the poorest of farming families often found themselves with food in abundance on par to that which the Chief had consumed in his younger days(in other words, enough to survive). And throughout it all, Còmhan continued to stand defiant, refusing help from those settlements around him. These days though, the old mule had a new gimmick to keep his people fed, and it irritated Cathalan to no end.

As the Queen approached the center of the room, where that wooden stool Còmhan called a throne resided, she had to suppress a completely justified look of disgust. Half starved servants moved about the room, cleaning tiredly. Linns was well known for its implicit support of slavers and criminals, Còmhan seeing no reason to cooperate with the rest of the League in any meaningful capacity. But events in the north had shifted the balance. Rumors of open slave markets and even the commissioning of galley ships pervaded all talk of Linns these days. No doubt the old Lord intended one last act of defiance before death took him, as evident by the town not even making an effort to hide its actions throughout her trip. A final spurning of the states authority. Of course they didn't realize that she had decided to handle the inspection herself. The word of the crown commanded significantly more weight than some bureaucrat issuing a summons. No doubt that ignorance of her presence was also why Còmhan kept her waiting. After another moment that wait came to an end, the side entrance to the chamber opening.

Cathalan idly motioned for her guards to stand to the side as the MacLinns family entered. Out of the man's three children, the only one worth trusting was Captain Eògan, and he was currently in her retinue. A bit over the top? Perhaps, but the more off put Còmhan was, the better. With the elderly lord were two younger individuals in their twenties. His eldest son and daughter. The two freely bantered as Còmhan made his way to his seat, not even bothering to acknowledge the retinue. A show of disrespect no doubt, but one that worked to her advantage. Finally Cathalan cleared her throat, glaring at the three. Before Còmhan could even turn, she began to speak, clearly annoyed "Chief Còmhan of Linns, a good host does not keep their guests waiting. Would you be so kind as to address our party? Or are you too busy feeling smug on that ridiculous chair of yours?"

While his children turned immediately, clearly angered by this insolent bureaucrat's words, Còmhan at least seemed to recognize her, minimizing his reaction to an almost invisible tensing of the shoulders. "My.... Queen. This is certainly a welcome surprise. What brings your retinue to our humble town?" the old man croaked out, clearly on edge.

Walking forward, Cathalan tossed a silvered cup at the mans feet. She hated it, but tradition is tradition "First a gift for our honorable host." Còmhan grimaced in response, the thinly veiled act of disrespect clearly irritating him further. "I will have the servants remove it shortly. Your gift... humbles me. What brings you to my halls?"

Ahh there was the opening. Cathalan looked towards the captives, for that is what they were, moving about the room before offering an answer. "Well good chief, those servants of yours are actually why I am here. Disturbing reports about your fair town have been circulating. They claim that you have been engaging in acts of slavery and piracy. Now, I would never accuse your noble people of such horrendous acts, but as you are well aware we must follow up on such claims." As she spoke, the sarcasm practically dripping from her voice, Cathalan shifted her gaze towards Còmhan's children. The daughter... Brídin she believed her name was(?) was fidgeting with her hair, clearly nervous while her brother (she couldn't remember his name frankly) glared at her, a hand placed on the short sword at his belt. She wasn't too concerned. Còmhan hypothetically outnumbered her own retinue, with ten or so guards waiting outside the hall, but the average Irish army soldier was trained to fight as a unit. They were not individual brawlers, and only a select few received any form of specialized training in the field, mostly scouts and the still pathetically small cavalry corps. Cathalan, by contrast, had her two ever present bodyguards, an Icedonian and a Norseman, on top of Eògan's force of four naval marines (himself included in that count). Each significantly more experienced in their respective fields than the average front line militiaman.

Finally the aging chief responded, the pause feeling much longer than it actually was. The cause was clear though. Còmhan had noticed his youngest son glaring at him from inside Cathalan's retinue. Between the surprise visit, her aggressive tone, and now his own blood standing against him, the old man was clearly caught off balance. "My Queen I... assure you that we do no such thing." A concession. Perhaps earlier today he had plans of boasting his sovereignty to whoever he expected to arrive, but in acknowledging the law as he had just done, Còmhan had essentially admitted the right of the League to pursue policies like abolition. Or at least acknowledged that the crown had the power to challenge him should he protest. Either way, it benefited Hibernia. He could of course backtrack later on, but Cathalan had no intention of letting him.

"Your servants must not be paid very well then." She added simply.

Còmhan seemed taken aback by the statement, obviously not expecting that specific line of questioning in spite of the earlier implications. For all his bluster, the Chief was not a very bright man. "The servants? Oh yes, they are... working off past debts. I only provide them with the basic necessities so as not to increase what they owe ad nauseam."

Clearly a lie, but Cathalan played along "Ahh well you would do better with paid staff. These lot are clearly not very experienced." Còmhan forced out a nervous laugh "Y-yes I suppose they're not. I will hire professionals once their debts are paid, which should be in time for your next visit."

"I could help you with that." She continued "It is perfectly within the right of the crown to forgive individual debts exceeding less than two thousand gold pieces. Judging by their complexion and hair, I'd say the vast majority are migrants from the Highlands, no? Their debts can't be more than five or six gold pieces each."

Còmhan grimaced again. Yes he could always find more staff, willing or no. The point wasn't to deprive him of help though. It was clearly another assertion of authority, something he loathed but for the moment was forced to accept. "How very generous of you My Queen. I will inform them of your kindness."

"No need. Your son speaks several of their dialects from his time in the Hebrides. If they have any friends or family in the city, he shall seek them out as well." Cathalan turned to leave before pausing for one more moment." Oh, and another inspection shall be conducted at random within the next two months. The town shall be under watch as well, so if any of your citizens just so happen to try and hide their hypothetical crimes from the law, I expect you to rectify the situation."

And with that the conversation was over. Formalities displayed, farewells exchanged, and Còmhan given time to seethe over what had just happened. It took the rest of the day for Captain Eògan to round up the recently liberated slaves and their families, much to the protest of their illicit owners, but few wished to challenge the lord's own son. All things said and done, Cathalan was incredibly pleased with the outcome. Perhaps it was a bit sadistic of her, but nothing was quite so enjoyable as putting wretched relics like the lord of Linns on the back foot. With that thought in mind, the host departed the village, now significantly larger than when it had started. They'd reach the neighboring village of Moireach Point in only a few hours, and Tara within a few days. After reporting her findings and decision to the various militia commanders, assuming the campaign in the west was running smoothly, it'd be off to Dublin for some much needed rest.

Patrick Kolman: Dublin, Early October
Information traveled slowly in our primitive world. It could take weeks for even the most public of information to travel across the Irish Sea, carried on the backs of merchants and sailors. When someone wants to conceal information though? Weeks turn to months. That was the situation I found myself in. News of the clash between the Imperium and Icedonia had slowly been trickling in through the entire summer. Some claimed the Icedonians forced Viktor's steel clad invaders back across the Morning, or North, Sea. Others talked of how the Icedonian hordes buckled under the hoof of Imperial cavalry, and were forced to retreat. Talk of a Five Kindred now being Four, Icedonian slaughter of villages, Imperial execution of spies, and a plethora of other small details were circulating about the public conscious in what had been Britain's first true war. And it all meant nothing because of one simple fact. Both Icedonia, and the Imperium seemed incredibly tight lipped about the results. It was quite clear that something happened that neither side wanted to reveal, and that could only mean one thing. They had been forced to negotiate.

My suspicions were confirmed today, all these months later, as news of the establishment of a state arrived. The Four Kindred as they were called, obviously the inspiration for some of the vague rumors, were to exist as an autonomous northern territory. The details were sparse, but to my understanding the Imperium did not normally deal in proxy states, nor did the Icedonians leave survivors. I supposed I would have to wait for the return of Conwanna and Recuridan for the full account. More importantly though was the letter from my informal pen pal.

Dated this 26th of September, 20 AG, Imperial Reckoning
Penned in Kalspar, Holstein - Correspondence via Office of the Diplomatic Corps, Central, White Palace, Mara
Addressed for delivery to - 1 Founders Boulevard, Dublin Main - Dublin

Salutations,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. It is good to hear that the state of Hibernia herself officially disavows such unfortunate actions as slave-taking and slave-making, unlike other polities which ply the North Sea. I have taken the liberty of informing the relative representatives of the Imperial Navy who conduct patrols along the Frankish coast that they may consider any such ships from Eire they find on patrol as allies in the face of any criminal enterprises which they may interdict - a welcome development.

As far as the matter of Britain is concerned, I must disburse you of a few untruths which must have inserted into the narrative the Icedonians presented for your inspection. The conflict which you speak of, now fortunately concluded, revolved around the desires of many kindreds upon the eastern coast of England for protection by the Imperial Navy against such raider elements as continue to prey on the innocent from Norse ports. This extension of protection, done at their own request, incensed the southern English elements of Icedonia, who consider every parcel of land which can be marched upon from their capitol of 'Israel' as rightful territory of their master, Isaac, willing or not. This is an assumption the Imperium does not accept, noting instead the voluntary nature of self-determination which attends the rights of all men.

As such, you must understand, and I would reiterate for the purposes of any diplomatic channels you might wish to share this missive with, that the Imperium's involvement in England is strictly upon the request of her inhabitants. I have not myself personally visited Nevis and her surroundings, but the men I put in charge of her defense against Norse incursions (and the recent Icedonian) provocations are of good character, and would not compel any locals to labor against their own best interests or without appropriate compensation. Far from being a war against any kindreds or polities which inhabit Britain, the Imperial presence in Britain exists as a deterrent against such aggression.

When we speak about the matter of motivation and purpose, that is a complicated question indeed. I assume, as I did, you awakened alone and isolated from human society. All of my actions since have stemmed from the fundamental aspect of survival in this strange world, only recently transitioning to what could be called more lofty goals. We stand, as you must see, at a unique point to influence the course of history - through good governance, the promulgation of wise ethics, and the consolidation of human effort, I have endeavored to move human society away from the eras of ignorance and gradual development which would have otherwise troubled it for millenia. Unless you know more than I do, I know no way to return to our own time; as such I am compelled to do the best with the world we have been given, and regard this as a singular gift from Providence to undo some of the mistakes which troubled our own time such as want, poverty, factionalism, and poor stewardship of our world. It is, in summary, a ridiculous goal when taken together. But I hope to build a better society for my children and those who shall come after them, if at all possible, as I think indeed such a goal is.

You speak to the idea of the Imperium of Man, a failure of a society. In this you are absolutely correct - but this title came not from my own lips, but from those who adopted me as their leader, shaped only by the language we share. Through the unitary nature of our state I have accomplished a hundred times what I would have otherwise been capable of doing if forced to share the decision making process with those who are not appraised of our shared future. It is a strange thing for someone coming from a society built upon the democratic assumption of equality of knowledge and agency, certainly, but I believe the best course of action for our world. The fact that the Imperium is 'of Man' reflects the fact that I seek to promote a brotherhood between all men, a joining together of human effort to build a better world without regard for geographic boundary or ethnic division; many of the darkest aspects of our own world came about from just such divisions and boundaries and, though it is ultimately an unrealistic goal to my eyes, I will promote such humanitarian universalism as long as possible for our new society.

What of yourself? Hibernia, from what reports I have read, is a society both more divided on ethnic lines than our own, but also, essentially, ruled by one Patrick. I take it you also see the flaws in the democratic principle, which the Norse have embraced which such disastrous results?

I have the honor to remain,
Viktor Matveyev

I had spent the better part of a day mulling it over. Of course he was being a tad disingenuous. Irish ship captains had approached those settlements on the eastern coast of England thousands of times, and were more often than not told to leave in no uncertain terms. A few were open for trade, but that was all. It was possible that some impending threat had forced those more friendly tribes to turn towards the first ally they could find I suppose, but the claim still seemed dubious. Beyond that though, it seemed as if Viktor was willing to talk on a more personal and philosophical level, something which pleased me immensely. I immediately grabbed my pen and set to work.

In Response To: Previous Correspondence Delivered Upon the 4th of October 20 AME
Return: 1 Founders Boulevard, Dublin Main- Dublin
Date: 4th of October, 20 AME

Address: 1 Central, White Palace- Mara
-Patrick Koleman
-High King of Éire, Executive of the Hibernian League

Greetings:
-Viktor Matveyev Nemtsov, Hegemon of Mara and Emperor of Mankind

I am glad to hear all is well. Though the claim that the relatively withdrawn tribes of eastern Britain approached your far off lands of their own accord seems dubious, it is possible that there were extenuating circumstances I am not aware of. Thus I shall not press the issue further, as it seems to have solved itself anyway. Icedonia's ambassadors to Dublin should be returning shortly, but I would very much like to hear a recounting of the events from your perspective.

It pleases me to hear that you wish for your fleet to cooperate with our own, and I shall by no means stop you. However, you should be aware that several brigands have been captured wearing duty gear issued through standard militia training. It is possible that an ambitious group might employ a Hibernian standard as well. Though the groups operating out of Ireland are small in number, it would be prudent to approach each ship with caution, lest they prove to be raiding vessels disguised as patrol craft. All ship captains have proper mission documentation and thus should be able to confirm their authenticity in the event that your craft are in need of assistance. Likewise, should time not allow for a proper introduction, our military grade ships tend to be larger than most vessels operating in the Atlantic, and will often be accompanied by an escort craft. These are the guidelines our fleet already employs internally to combat smuggling operations.

It is a shame you do not know more than I, but not unexpected. It would be prudent to try and find a correlation between ourselves and the others however. For example, I was born on Long Island, in New York, I was twenty one upon being sent here, and was an undergraduate at the time. More importantly, however, are the effects of being in this time, as I expect we all have the same boons. As of today I am three months away from my forty second birthday. Yet I do not appear to have aged since arriving. I had accounted it to good luck and my twenty first century upbringing for as long as I could, but now it is too blatant to ignore. I suspect you are no different in these regards, and the implications are quite jarring.

You are correct in my assumptions about democracy, but only in this exact moment. For I do not favor the route of the Imperium so much as I fear the route of the Commonwealth. Their state is one which history has seen time and time before. A democracy with no established democratic culture. Simple egalitarianism is not enough to support a vibrant, stable republic, and the continued decline of northern democracy is but one example in a long list. I do hope one day to if not step down, hand off power to an elected executive and legislature, but that day will not come until the ideas of Locke are commonly accepted fact. I do not have any qualms about righting the proverbial ship in the meantime. As for your own people just so happening to choose that name specifically, I suspect you may be, for lack of a better term, fibbing just a little bit. In order for it to be true, one must accept the premise that you rule over an entire society of egomaniacs, which is doubtful, and that said egomaniacs in an utterly amazing coincidence managed to style themselves exactly after a well known 20th and 21st century IP. Frankly it is a wonder that Games Workshop has not traveled through time just to enforce their copyright at this point.

I quite enjoy these letters if I am being honest. Besides the stimulating conversation, at least I know someone out there isn't laughing at my jokes because they're just bad as opposed to not understanding the reference.

Best of wishes

Sincerely
-Patrick Koleman: High King of Éire, Executive of the Hibernian League

Satisfied, I quietly folded the letter and placed it to the side. I'd seal and send it tomorrow. Tonight though, I had more pressing duties. The situation in the west was... escalating to say the least. Cathalan had done an admirable job isolating the slavers, even if her handling of Linns had set the old bastard they called a chief ranting about the evils of the central authority again, but this was not an issue solved simply through garrisons and force of arms. The boiling point had been reached in a little town called Veisafjora, and now the entire region was mere weeks away from total anarchy should nothing be done. Not that I could blame them for how they handled Veisafjora. They were the victims after all. But still...

Angíona "Angie" iníon Garbhan: Veisafjora, Two Weeks Prior
If one ignored the smoke choking the sky above Veisafjora, they might call it a perfect day. The morning dew had yet to evaporate, and in spite of the humidity, a consistent breeze from the east made for excellent weather. It reminded the young redhead of her days in Dublin with her father, before they moved to the northern territories. Better economic opportunities for skilled tanners and all that. She wondered how things would be different if she hadn't gone to that damn lake. In fact, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was cursed to serve as a magnet for murderers, brigands, and cutthroats. In some sense though, wasn't that what they all were now? At least for those that used their time in captivity as an excuse to pillage the place before they set it to torch. Back wages they'd called it.

Looking down at the road leading out of town, she spotted what looked like Goodwife Kaylin, a bolt sticking out of her back. Clearly the old woman had not been fast enough. Angie was surprised by how little that bothered her. Niall had plenty of horror stories to tell about his time under her. "Wouldn't expect it from such a little old woman." one of the ex slaves whispered in a heavy highlander accent, causing a round of snickering. Another, a woman captured in the channel while helping guard an unlucky Imperial merchant vessel, walked over and callously ripped the bolt out of the Goodwife, cleaning it on the corpse's tunic. Satisfied, the group of seventy odd souls, for Veisafjora had made the mistake of thousands of slaver towns throughout history and developed a majority enslaved population, began to make their way south. Rumor had it the militia had yet to reach the town of Corc yet, and their merry band figured on solving the problem for Hibernia, free of taxpayer expense.

Angie turned one last time to look at the still burning town, her eyes lingering on the corpse of a particularly well muscled man hanging from one of the buildings. The former master of ceremonies, a warrior of some renown in the area apparently. His death would be the first of many as the various enslaved, Norse, Imperial, and British, strained against their newly placed shackles. For each society had imbued a special form of defiance within their souls. Whether it be Icedonian virtue, Hibernian liberalism, Imperial pride, or Commonwealth egalitarianism, the results were clear. Those who know of something better do not make for docile slaves, and any who wish to test that spirit best think twice, lest they face its fury.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 am

Stórþingishús, Roskilde,
Year 17, 7th Winter Saturday, dawn,
Raginaharjas Kunjamundusson af Roskilde

The small sandy field, our island, stretched out before me. It was not a large field, perhaps three or so metres across, bounded by a circular ring.

Duels for honour are fought with weapons of wood, and I'm aware that many a youth made the mistake of treating them with contempt for that reason. It is a mistake that is rarely made twice. Soft and dull, wood might be compared to stone or metal, but it can kill a man just as easily.

I intended to come out of this alive, and whether the other guy would also... well, that was his business.

"As is my customary right as a man before the gods," the representative for Helsingfors shouted, standing up drunkenly and staring down his rival across the feast table, "I demand that you recant that insult, or I shall be forced to defend my honour in a trial by arms!"

"Stand down," I shouted. "Stand down! There will be no fighting, nor will such a challenge be made! You are all guests in the Commonwealth's hospitality!"

I gave my sword a few experimental swings, testing the weight and balance and finding them satisfactory. While my preferred weapon in combat was an axe, this was a duel to first blood, not to life, and for that purpose a longer blade would advantage me.

I raised my arms again, signalling my readiness, noting Clara looked up at me with worried eyes. What a mess. She tried to head off this stupidity, of course, and stupidity it most assuredly is. I am not so blinded by my own martial nature to be unable to recognise that fact.

Ignoring Clara's frantic gestures and note-passing, I responded with my own words. Clara... my woman... she is a lovely person, truly. Full of kindness and peace. Perhaps it is for that reason that she sometimes fails to realise that we are not the same. We grew up in war, and to us the highest values are those of honour and strength, not compassion and compromise.

She asked why, later on.

"Because my love," I would answer, "there are times when a leader must act like a leader, or he shall find himself quite bereft of anyone to call his own."

The coarse fabric shirt felt rough on my skin as I dove in towards my opponent's legs. The hólmganga was joined. The opponent leapt back in surprise, clearly not having expected the aggression and speed with which I struck. I suppose that was to be expected. The man was born, as far as I was aware, in what was rapidly consolidating into the East Geatland Region. I know for a fact that I look far younger than I do, and those further away from Roskilde have likely only ever seen me walking and sitting, the very icon of the sedentary scholar.

I certainly don't look the part of the experienced hunter-warrior, who killed his first wolf before the Commonwealth even existed.

"Very well," I conceded, Clara's burning eyes staring up at me in shock and outrage, "your challenge to arms is the most unlawful, but by the traditions of the north, it is customary, and that custom will be respected. I will permit you to air your grievances in an honourable trial by arms."

The representative for Helsingfors looked smug.

"But," I added, in a perhaps graver tone, "it will not be the member for Birka that will meet you on the island tomorrow, for the dispute does not lie between the two of you. Instead, it will be me that you face when the light of dawn comes! The ræðumaður Stórþingsins controls the Chamber and its proceedings! That much is made clear in law! It is the hospitality of the Commonwealth and I that you are challenging. It is my prerogative to maintain the sacred peace of the Assembly that you are challenging. It is my guarantee to provide a peaceful arena where disputes can be settled without arms that you are challenging. No, sir! It will be I who will face you come the morning."

I feint, letting my back leg crumple as if I have lost my balance. The eagerness in my opponent's eyes are as clear as day. It was an eagerness driven more by the exhaustion of what must have been easily a quarter hour of close-range combat than by the good tactical sense that I was sure that the veteran before me possessed. Not everyone aged as slowly as I, after all. He leaped in... and I centered my shield.

A loud crack, and I almost did actually lose my balance. Advanced in age the warrior before me might be, but the other side of that coin was his experience. But still... I won. Twisting my arms to wrench his spear, firmly stuck in my shield, out of his arms, I simply shoved, bashing the man with the reinforced centre of the circular shield. No red stained his tunic, not yet, but with control over his weapon lost the rest of the bout was a foregone conclusion.

"Clara," I simply stated, letting the frothing steam of complaints, anger, and demands the lady of my house was directing at me die on her tongue. "Do you trust me?"

There was no immediate answer to that. The silence stretched, five hearbeats, ten. She lowered her gaze, grinding her feet against the floor as she chose to stare at our bed rather than me, sitting on it.

"I... yes, Raginaharjas. I trust you."

I didn't let my gaze drop, and simply watched her as the inevitable truths filtered through that infinite expanse that was her mind.

"I'll sharpen your training weapons."

The defeated warrior cradled his arm. It was bent at a strange angle, but none of the bones were broken. Probably. He would make a full recovery... in time... as long as the wound does not grow infected... probably. But I did not spare more than a moment to assess him once the result of the hólmganga was called in my favour.

"Let this be a reminder to you all," I roared over the crowd, "of the oaths that you have sworn and of the duties that you have!"

"We are not children any longer, squabbling in the mud! This Chamber will not tolerate, I will not tolerate, any further attempts to overturn Acts of this Commonwealth by destroying our peace and amity by enforcing our warlike past on our future! You have a responsibility, not just to the people of the settlement that you represent, but a responsibility to the future of the Northern Peoples as a whole, and that responsibility is not to shatter the fragile ropes of lawful discourse that holds our Commonwealth together."

"Is that clearly understood?"
Last edited by Plzen on Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

3rdBritan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby 3rdBritan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:18 am

Day 2 Day 63-onwards to Day 3 day 40-Previous days
The ship i had recently inherited from the merchant sailed across the high seas collecting cargo of various sorts and distributing them as far as Peloponesia and Memphis ....Crete and Crimea. Upon sailing near Ebla i experienced a tragedy. My boat had navigated into rocky waters and had impacted on a rocky out crop. The Craft was tossed around like a small Avia in a gale, skittering over the water like a waterbird. I lost control and it sustained some various injury before being flung like a bleached whale upon the shore. It was not long before i had come into contact with people as this area had frequent Ports and towns dotted along its coast like Swarms of some insect. After i came into contact with them we exchanged some talk..Which was very time consuming as we had a distinct language barrier. This did not save me this very talk. Because like ants to a Carcass they dismembered the barnacle encrusted Hull and carried away the contents, much to my dismay.

I wandered the Wasteland of northern Syria and Iraq until i met some bandits on a raiding party, They searched me but they did not find any wealth on me to loot. Cautiously they took me back to their camp. Their camels moving along the Dunes of the middle east until we reached their camp. The leader of the bandits interrogated me, But i stayed clear to the truth. I was a merchant who had lost my life savings and the remainder of my Friendly merchants will due to some small Crash of the coast of Elba.They Fed and clothed me. They shown me the way to Crete,and gave me one of their camels. They also offered me ample supply of water. The bandits risked on me and trusted me after a few months .and i wanted to help them. For in this cruel world they Had shown me more consideration and hospitality than all except he merchant.

So i raised my wealth as a much smaller merchant vessel than before and with humble provisions i began to navigate Greece, Not Egypt of Anatolia, Greece. I never wanted to run the risk of my craft being damaged while i did my duty. i had collected ample amounts of trading provisions when disaster had struck, The Village of Ebla, The very village which had strove to steal me stuff, leave me in the wilderness, Deprive me of my lively hood had been struck bye fever. It had since gone but there population had Decreased to 340. I sailed to The very border of south Syria, Or its general location on the map-WITHIN 50 miles- and made my way to the bandits camp.

i told them the situation in Ebla and promised them a share of the spoils. They could come and live their as privileged members of the Assyrian Army and get all sorts of luxuries, The finest produce. a wage for every Month as a member of the army, much higher than any normal citizen.
i told them that all we would need to do was to things. Board a slave caravan and prepare for war. We managed to smuggle through some place called Imperium- northern European weapons. This were far more dangerous and reliable than their European counterparts. We found a slave
Caravan with the equivalent of 25 slaves, from Memphis to the Ebla. We ambushed the caravan and freed the slaves before marching due north to Stake our claim.

we made our way on with 25 now liberated slaves towards the capital from the west while The bandits marched relentlessly from the east.
We both converged upon them At about the same time. Only a hour after each other. Due to wind strength and travel time.at first the villagers thought us, especially the Caravan, where there allies. We arrived first and as we saw the eblan militia unwind our bows we ran forward and caught everyone bye surprise. After we eliminated About 16 militia the village dropped their bows. And that is how i assumed control of the village.
Last edited by 3rdBritan on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:14 pm

4 months, 0 days, 0 years since arrival.

The miners had seemed to collect massive blocks of marble thereof, and through a slow process of wheeling the heavy material down from the mines to the valley of the slowly expanding Sariah, the materials of what would make the temple were stored. The spire that would bear the angel Moroni would be forged out of a crude, early version of brass. The artistic rendering thereof would be directed by Marley himself to maintain accuracy. Slowly but surely, spiritual literacy and comprehension of religious subjects substantially increased. There had been no population change, yet the community of the small village became tighter knit together. By now, every resident deeply reveres Marley Camdens as a prophet of God, nearly everbody having at least some emotional attachment to him.

Camdens began to record the goings of his endeavors on thin copper plates as well as substantial doctrines, sermons, and bible/book of mormon quotes that he dubbed the "Book of Camdens" -- of which he carefully and secretly stored the prototypes in a dry environment to delay oxidization.
(CARYTON VIDEO)

Speyland
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Speyland » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:38 pm

Expansion in Jeju Island
July, 30 DC

Following the discovery of Jeju Island, sailors, soldiers, and settlers were able to find a permanent settlement despite the island lacking sufficient resources and there doesn't seem to be any signs of human contact but there are some animals that they will need to live. There was a rumor that a cloud of smoke is visible from the sky and they couldn't find out where it was coming from.

Either way, the expansion in Jeju Island is underway and it is uncertain if they will survive the island that they had discovered.

Susan Park
October 16, 30 DC

Susan was walking through the street on a sunny day (with four bodyguards) when she notices something cruel. A boy who appears to be a slave can be seen getting beat up by a man who is the slavemaster. In shock, Susan has decided to intervene in the situation. "I'm sorry!" The boy cried. "I don't want to hear your excuses!" The slavemaster said angrily as he continues hitting the boy. "That's enough!" Susan said angrily as she caught the slavemaster's attention. "Your majesty!" The slavemaster said nervously as he didn't notice the queen from behind.

"Why are you hurting the boy?" Susan asked. "Well, he is a slave so that is my choice to beat him up." The slavemaster said. "Is it wrong to beat up a child?" Susan asked as she gave the slavemaster a death stare. "Well..." The slave master is trying to come up with a solution to get away scot-free. "Be honest," Susan said. "Look, this is between me and him, you hear me?" The slavemaster said angrily. "How dare you disrespect the queen!" One of the bodyguards said angrily. "Don't worry, I'm not offended," Susan said calmly. "Yes, Your majesty." One of the bodyguards said. "You are nothing but a tyrant!" The slavemaster said. "What did you just call me?" Susan asked angrily. "I-I'll take it back!" The slavemaster said nervously.

Susan grabbed the slavemaster by the shirt to tell him something important. "Listen, I'm not trying to be a cynical person but a queen who will take care of its people no matter what they had been through and whether or not they will suffer, don't you dare call me that!" Susan explained. "P-please forgive me!" The slavemaster said in fear. Susan lets go of the slavemaster's shirt. The slavemaster then bowed to Susan as he is seeking forgiveness. "Here, arrest me if that's what makes you feel better!" The slavemaster said. "No," Susan said. "You're not?" The slavemaster asked curiously. "I only want the boy," Susan said. "You can have him!" The slavemaster said.

Susan then approaches the boy who is covered with bruises from the relentless beatings of the slavemaster. "What do you want from me, your majesty?" The boy asked. "What is your name?" Susan asked. "Ilseong," he said while still lying on the ground. "Come with me," Susan said. "Why do you need me?" Ilseong asked curiously. "Or you want to continue being a slave," Susan said as she is about to leave him. "Wait, I'm coming!" Ilseong said as he followed Susan to the palace while the slavemaster had burst into tears as he had lost his fortune.

Susan's heroic actions had made her into a person she is today and her careless attitude about being a queen has changed her completely and it wasn't meant to have fun but to get into serious matters that could potentially cause the people to turn against her.
Last edited by Speyland on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 pm

5 months, 22 days, 0 years since arrival.

The stone supports, marble brick foundation, and a vague outline of the landscaping around the region of where the temple would be constructed has been made. On the main road opposite from Marley's Landing Point was the temple. The groundbreaking ceremony was held. Praise to the Man was sung by the Sariahic community as bit by bit, the walls were sculpted, pillars polished, arches made, details engraved-- sort of how the statue of liberty was sent and assembled bit by bit. The large, spacious temple would be planned to include the regular temple rooms-- a baptistry, a celestial room, a terrestrial and telestial room, a marriage room, and various spaces. All of these plans were carefully engraved into plates of copper which were nailed to the notice board. That way, even the civilians tasked with merely engraving the flowers onto a pillar of marble knew what to do and how to do it.

The temple may be a blank marble foundation of marble bricks, stone supports, and the first saplings of flowers, trees, and bushes-- but bit by bit the assembly was prepared.
(CARYTON VIDEO)

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:32 pm

The Danube (March 2980)

Victor Spear pondered his journal. He had heard that northern traders had come as far as Nicopol on the Danube from foreign lands bringing glass beads and bronze tools. He looked at a red colored glass bead and rolled it between his fingers. The Crimeans had asked for a border of the Danube river between them and the Nestos League.

In 2983, the Crimeans had also asked for a border by claiming Dubroja. This was a third of already settled Thrace. Many of the people in the Nestos League strongly objected including the fortress city of Varna, the cities of Sand, Burgos, Edirne and Shuman which were in Dubroja. Varna had remembered being there since before the locals could remember as well as Shuman and Edirne. Sand had been there for a dozen years.

Crimea had already been practicing trade and settling in the area of Dubroja. The associations claimed no political control, that they were there for trade and settling. The Thracian people from the cities and countryside who lived there already wanted a formal agreement of shared access. It was not enough to claim a border and the land. A delegation was sent from Varna, Sand, and Shuman to Mountain Cove. There they hoped to discuss the issue with Bostwick and the associations.

The Council of the Wise in Oak had a series of debates about the meaning of a border and shared resources with other polities. The concept of a physical border was a new thing to them. The scholars debated about what it meant exactly. That people could just move where they wanted if they did not cause trouble was the accepted norm. A whole new set of ideas were coming up in this debate. What were borders? How did one determine access to land? Were rights first given to people who were already there? Or could new people claim land through war, negotiation and trade.

During that debate Victor Spear suggested a codominium where development, trade, and settlements were shared in the region with Crimea. He cited two strange instances, Antarctica, a place of ice, and two mythical countries which were very similar Lux and Germania who often made agreements to share things.

It was not just, the cities which objected. The Cucuteni and the farmers who had resettled from the war with the Kurgan in 2987 also wanted guarantees that their land would not simply be taken or disputed over. The claim to the central administration did not sit well with the people who already lived there. The Crimeans were not signatories of the Nestos League.

A few of the scholar bureaucrats which had agreed without looking at the map were exiled to the Cyclades to a small tower on a near barren island. One of them Kaigiza said, "I honestly thought this border agreement was for everything above the Danube river."

This led to a review of bureaucratic positions where scholars who had passed the tests for positions in the bureaucracy, but were incompetent were relocated or asked to resign. The people in Oak were learning the serious consequences of not being competent.

Victor Spear had a discussion with Bassaba about sending an expedition to travel down the length of the Danube. Bassaba had suggested that his son Scholar Naxos be sent on the expedition. They would measure and map the river creating a better understanding of the borderlands. Victor Spear had never turned his hand to investigate this river. It had been a quiet presence which they had not done much with. He was not sure where the large river led.

Victor Spear nose itched. He looked left and right. He wondered if invaders would come from the river. One could never be too careful. There were always possible new threats. There could be men with iron and fire waiting. He looked at his lamp for a moment.

He gathered some papers and began to write. A "scientific and trade expedition" would be sent down the Danube to measure, map, and establish trade routes.

Victor went to the House of Wisdom in the morning to look at a map. They would start in their own territory at the opening to the sea where the Danube flowed out of and travel down the river through Thracian lands initially. The expedition would visit the settlements and towns on the Danube that were in Thrace proper. They would then pass the "iron gates" into foreign lands.

Victor spent two weeks traveling to Varna in a wagon train. He imagined what would be needed for the expedition and wrote down different supplies and ideas in a stream of consciousness manner until he had a list, then organized it. There were several scholars with him who discussed his ideas for the trip.

At Varna, Victor inspected the four ships they would send down the river. They were medium sized ships. He did not want them to go fast, but be careful and observant. This was an important expedition, even if part of it was in their own territory. He watched the ships depart after he gave the instructions for some of the supplies for the expeditions. Then he went back home. It was refreshing to get away from Oak for a while.

The expedition started going slowly down the river. Bassaba's son took the time to measure the depths of the river with chords with copper weights. The scholars would map the currents they could observe and take notes as they used lenses to observe the shores as they traveled slowly down the river. Two Naturalist Scholars would stop and take samples of plants, trees, and animals as well as samples of rocks and minerals. They took some samples of porous limestone to bring back to Oak.

They passed numerous small settlements. Fishermen in small boats and coracles used nets and hooks and cordage to catch fish. They watched as one of them caught a sturgeon the length of a man. The fish were plentiful and helped supplement the expeditions supplies. Scholar Naxos went ashore in a few places to draw the settlements. The settlements were a mix of foragers and farmers who led peaceful lives growing wheat and vegetables and raising pigs, goats, cattle, and sheep. The foragers had dogs which they used to help hunt water fowl. Two of the foragers with their dogs were invited to be part of the expedition. Scholar Naxos wanted to have local guides.

The traders traded copper, bronze, slag beads, and textiles for carved bone, shells, obsidian, and marble. One of the hunter warriors sent to protect the expedition traded a bronze dagger for a copper adze and an ax.

As they got further into the territory of The Nestos League, the quality of the handicrafts and trade goods improved. The settlements grew larger. At one town they traded with a craftsman for bracelets, necklaces, and medallions of semi-precious stones. The first boat filled up with trade goods and samples. It went back down the river and down the Black Sea Coast to Varna where it would unload its cargo. These along with maps and notes would go back to Oak.

One of the Hunter Warriors, Eumolpus made notes on where the tribal alliance settlements were. They also saw a few Crimeans fishing on the river as well. The Crimeans were catching carp, salmon, and catfish.

The expedition began to pass named towns. Nikopol where they stocked up on smoked fish, pickled cabbage, and dried venison for their journey. Ruse where there was a temple to the Goddess of Pregnancy with statues of very pregnant women. Some of the Scholar Naturalists traded for clay figurines of pregnant women. Corabia where there was a trading posts for leathers and furs. Licrest where timber was harvested and pine tar and pitch were collected. Scholar Naxos noted the named towns.

At Isaccea, the Dacians asked that the expedition not come into their town. It was Tribal Alliance land.

Another of the boats headed back to Varna where they unloaded samples of insects, plants, herbs, rocks, minerals, trade goods, maps, and journals to go back to Oak.

The expedition waited at the Iron Gates for the other boats to return. They spent time talking to the people on the river about what was further down the river. They would be entering new lands that were not part of the Nestos League.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

3rdBritan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby 3rdBritan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:49 am

The Bandits, now in Red clothes ...in the form of The Imperial Guard and brandishing crude...... But Iron weapons paraded down the town square. Curfew and lots of rights had kept them in check...So far. But these Eblans, Traitors of the middle eastern master race did not exercise their Duty, To keep the vast war machine of the greater Assyrian Empire ready to liberate the father land. This would not be the Capital of Greater Assyria. He planed it to be Baghdad or Jerusalem The Homeland for the Fatherland.

First i set up food banks and stores in case of famine. Then we crafted flags for the parades and painted them with the intricacy's of the Thousand year Empire.i thought of a idea to quell the population. A giant product of work force to make the wonder of the ancient world... a stone with iron reinforced Sumerian craft. it would directly loom above the Houses from a cliff edge like a Guardian....a sentient...

But first i would have to keep peace with the population and Exercise the population more and more frequently, Melting down iron hoes and Rakes, But no weapons and Forging iron strips, Mining stone and Dragging the colossal weight of the Resources to the town square.

Nuxipal
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nuxipal » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:00 am

Javin Torrez
Harappa, Ravi River, Indus River Valley, Late Winter, 2979 BCE

The city was already prospering before the arrival of Javin. He was able to settle into Akhil's home nicely. Within a couple of weeks, Javin had already begun helping to improve the city's capabilities. Between him and those that came with him, they were able to improve the quality of the copper and bronze tools that were being produced by several of the local smiths. While its not a significant development, Javin is talking with Akhil, who normally just deals with food product for funding on a major improvement for the city.

Javin began educating young and older people wanting to learn new things. He varied his topics from math to science to try and create a general understanding of the world around them. The primitive writing system already in place in Harappa was unlike anything Javin had used before. He left out history from his teachings, except for when he had only adult men of military age. With them he talked about military campaigns he knew about and how a well supplied army can survive better than one that lives off of the land they travel in. The city was large enough to support a sizable army if it began to recruit outside of the city in the smaller towns and villages nearby to bolster their numbers.

When Javin was confronted by two of the Oligarchs, Akhil calmed the situation down saying, "He is creating a more educated population for our city. If they have a greater understanding of how things work, then they will be able to create new ideas on their own." This seemed to make some of the Oligarchs a little more nervous as many of them did not wish for most of the population to be educated in this manner. Several of them did however pay Javin to educate their own sons in more depth than his public teaching sessions.

As the mountain thaw was bringing in new waters, Javin had already accumulated a significant quantity of wealth and began construction on his own new home. He once again started with instructions to quarry large stones from the nearby mountains and hills to bring into the construction site. During the first month, he oversaw the project himself, conducting his public classes in front of his home. He decided to make it somewhat more sturdy than the one he had ordered in Patna. This one was a little smaller than the previous one at the center, but a larger area within the walls that he had started surrounding it with gave space for additional buildings for families working for him as well as any animals that he could purchase in the coming years.

Eventually, he had the same few students coming every day. With these he was able to start giving them more advanced lessons and explaining to them farming concepts which they could take out into the countryside and improve the overall farming capabilities of the region. More food, meant larger potential for population. At this point, he found that Harappa had a population somewhere between 10,000 and 12,000. Which, from what he could remember, was nearly half of what it would have at its high point. The city itself would need to grow in physical size to gain this much population, but before then, the food supply needed to be secured.

Another of these students was the child of Akhil Sangama, Nikhil. The young man was very intelligent and had a mind for military matters. With him, he spoke about military tactics and strategy. Explaining the need for a screening force of skirmishers or cavalry, only to then explain what cavalry was. He showed him about various methods for setting an army in the field to execute a particular strategy, to using skirmishers to harass enemy forces when they are invading your lands. Javin was trying to sculpt this young man into a great general for Harappa, one that could help him lead armies in the future. Far to the south, Javin explained that the city of Mohenjo-Daro was the largest rival of Harappa, and while they were not enemies now, the future was always uncertain.

Javin, once his home and its fortifications were complete, would start his bid to become the sole ruler in Harappa. It would take more time, but already, the next generation of Oligarchs were being taught my him. Their positions were hereditary enough that with their support he could become a monarch of this city and expand its influence over other cities in the region. But first, he would need to train its guard into an effective fighting force and create a small professional military force that could provide a solid core for a larger conscription army.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:42 am

Passing through the Iron Gates into Serbia (March 2980)

The river expedition passed out of Thracian lands into unknown territory. Naxos stood next to the edge of the boat. He looked at the trees at the edge of river. A hawk flew in the clear sky. It was cold enough for Naxos to see the steam from his breath.

Scholar Naxos, “We go into new territory, a place where the Nestos League has not been. Hopefully, everything will go well.” Scholar Naxos adjusted his scarf.

Warrior Eumolpus, “I am hoping it will stay peaceful. It has been a pleasant journey so far.”

Scholar Naxos, “Very few have come down the river so far. Only a few itinerant traders and they were rather reticent about what was down the river.”

Warrior Eumolpus, “If we meet new people what should we do?”

Scholar Naxos, “Remember we are traders and learned men, not diplomats. That may come later. We are here to map the river, trade for knowledge and goods, and study things. We are not here to fight or conquer.”

Warrior Eumolpus rubbed his hands together, there were some grey flecks from where he had scrubbed his teeth at the fire with charcoal paste. “We are here in case there are bandits or slavers or you just need to watch the goods from common thieves. It is cold here.”

Scholar Naxos, “I wonder what lies ahead. Probably just more farming villages and fishermen, but we do not know yet.”

Warrior Eumolpus, “I would like to think we will have a long pleasant journey without incident.”

The boats headed further down the river. They stopped at a small settlement and traded for fur lined cloaks and warm boots. They gave printed textiles, silver ingots, slag glass beads, and carved wooden bowls and spoons. The people spoke a heavily accented version of Imperial Common.

When they looked through the various things to trade for, they found bone and shell buttons, some bronze tools, embroidered tunics with designs they had not seen before, furs and leather. There was also copper and bronze jewelry along with some small pieces of iron.

Scholar Naxos saw something strange. The headman sat upon a cushioned chair with a high back. Scholar Naxos admired the chair.”

Headman Rodavan son of Georg, “You admire my chair. It is a chair of honor. I went far to get it. To the far city of Belgrade. There I got my adze. It is a fine tool. Do you go to the far city?”

Scholar Naxos. “We are traders and cunning men who seek knowledge. We travel the river to see what is upon it. We have met many people for trade. We hope to visit your great city. There is much to see and learn here. Do you have a wise man.”

Headman Rodavan son of Georg, “Old man Dragan lives in the woods. He does not like strangers. Best to leave him be.”

Scholar Naxos nodded, “This village is beautiful. So are the woods around it. There are many deer, bear, boars, and water fowl. The forests are thick with trees.”

Headman Rodavan son of Georg, “The woods have spirits in them. Wandering through the trees may attract the spirits. We would not wander now. Why have you come stranger? You seem to be more than a cunning man. Your clothes, they are rich with embroidery and you wear rings and a necklace of amber, a chief's ransom.”

Scholar Naxos, “My wealth, it is built on trade with far lands. I find goods that are common in your land and rare in my lands and bring back riches. I also learn from cunning men when I travel gaining knowledge of medicines, plants, animals, and the things of the forests. This is what I do.”

Headman Rodavan son of Georg, “Then you speak truly. Other strangers have come through teaching us many things. They carry a great book with them full of stories. They call it the Bible and they travel up and down the river. They are wise and they change the old ways. Old man Dragan warns us against them. What is it you wish to see.?”

Scholar Naxos, “I wish to see your farms and gardens. Maybe I can learn something.”

Headman Rodavan son of Georg, “I look at your warriors bow and I see that it has horns upon it and bronze. I have never seen such a bow. It looks like it could kill a boar at fifty paces with a single shot. Show me your bow and warriors arms, and I will show you the farm.”

Warrior Eumopolos in Thracian, “Is this a good idea? We do not know their intentions.”

Scholar Naxos in Thracian, “It is just archery. What harm could it do?”

Warrior Eumopolos, “I will shoot at their target.”

Scholar Naxos, “Yes, we will shoot at the archery target.”

Headman Rodavan son of Georg sets up round woven mat with many different colors and hangs it from a tree. He asks Warrior Eumopolos to take fifty paces back from the tree.

Warrior Eumopolis sites the woven mat with his double bow and fires first one arrow and then a second. The shots are within two inches of each other. They go through the mat and are deeply buried in the tree. The hunting arrows are carefully fletched, very smooth and taper slightly to a sharp iron tip.

Headman Rodavan son of Georg looks at the bow more closely and blinks. “I will take you to the farm.”

They visit a prosperous farmer, there are beehives, vines for grapes, barley fields, goats and sheep, plum, apple, peach and cherry trees and a large garden. Scholar Naxos looks over the farm. He asks if they can trade for some of the seeds, he would like beet seeds and walnut seeds as well as seeds for the herbs on the farms.

In the fields, Scholar Naxos sees a plough with an bronze bit, a place for composting, hoes and mattocks. He takes notes.

Eumolpus then shows him his axe. It is a double bladed ax with a spike at the top and a heavy hardwood handle. He describes how it was given to him when he visited Santorini at the temple of the Bull and the Goddess.

Headman Rodavan son of Georg looks first at the ax then the bow and touches his forehead. “Is there anything else you would like to know strangers. Where is it exactly you came from?”

Scholar Naxos, “We come from the Nestos League, an alliance of cities.”

Headman Rodavan son of Georg, “I have heard tales that there is a great kingdom to the east with a strange man leading it who is a great cunning man, knowledgeable of many secrets. But, there is little I know of these things, I am not a man chosen by the spirits. I am merely a village headman. You should go to the city. They will help you there. Be careful, there are great men, traders and warriors who ply this river. I would trade with you once more, but then you need to go. ”

Scholar Naxos, “Why would you like to me go?”

Headman Rodavan, “I am happy in my peaceful village. You are men of wealth and power, strangers. You may mean well, but the powerful want what they what. We will trade once more, then I ask you to leave.”

More men and women have come to the center of village with trade goods when they get back. People have come from the surrounding settlements. They are haggling over the trade goods which they have not seen before.

Goods from the Nestos League, printed cloth, fine mulitcolored scarves, spices, jewelry, rosewater, and other fine crafts are being exchanged for pottery, wine, and jewelry. After another two hours they leave the village.

Some have come just to look at the strangers with their bright clothes and odd way of talking.

Scholar Naxos is standing at the side of the ship, “Eumolpus, I think others have been here. They speak of men with Bibles. I have not seen this bible, but it is a book. I am not sure who they are, but things look and feel different. There are ideas which we did not teach which the people of this village new.”

Warrior Eumolpos, “Next time to do not ask me to share my weapons. That was a very dangerous thing to do. We did not know their intentions. I have been in the world many more years than you have.”

Scholar Naxos opens his mouth then stops.

They continue to look out onto the river.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:13 am

2 years, 2 months, 24 days, since arrival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-WYSbrmddo

The completed Sariah Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Candor Saints.

-

Cheers resounded down the stone main road, lined with sapling trees, cobblestone, wood, and marble-laden houses folding before the shining white beacon. The Angel Moroni spire gloriously played, ushering in the restoration behind the sun. The melting snow seemed to give way before the very sight of the temple. The now well-clothed people of Sariah seemed to tremble before it as they gathered before the mystical sight. Even though they had been given the very blueprints, this community project erected a building incredibly alien to them. The lines of floral bushes, the still-watered fountain, even the windows. It had all been so indescribably unique, and they were a part of it. Formally gathering in a series of lines before the prophet, who rested against a podium. With no speeches, the temple had been dedicated and marked sacred ground of the Lord. The original 30-odd members of the 60 were given their first temple recommend. The temple included clay seating areas, an admission space, a baptistry, several ceremony rooms, a room for each degree of heaven, a room for sealing, a room for sacred funeral services, a room for personal study and revelation, and much more down the beautiful interior.

The first sacred rite was Marley's own baptism in the temple reservoir to re-affirm his already beloved position as prophet. The clean-shaven man was followed with enthusiasm nearly everywhere he went, so hopefully his own baptism could tell others to regularly get re-baptized. The next thing Marley did was seek out the pair of missionaries he had sent-- who had just come home for a break period. After telling them some doctrinal updates and news-- including the temple, he informed them that 2 more pairs of missionaries-- both men this time-- would be sent out in different locations to take the load off. They were relieved and when they left again in their pairs with their equipment, they had a new sense of purpose.

Sariah's population, over the last two years, had expanded from 60 to approximately 400, new congregation members arising from both wandering tradesmen to the missionary converts and their families. The buildings had improved in quality to white-washed stone, stronger wood, and even some elaborate marble and copper work. Not one detail was spared, and not one house looked less rich than the other-- even the prophet's own house in which he regularly wrote in the Book of Camdens, storing it aside safely before leaving his house.

By now, the town had enough secondary laborers to build an economy. No longer would the community have to be directed to minor projects, but there would be somebody to do these things. Experienced tanners, hunters, miners, smiths, tailors, weavers, fletchers, farmers, soldiers, trainers, and even a scribe flocked in and were spiritually converted. Due to the convenient valley location in fertile soil and a relatively cool and wet climate, the first two harvests of wheat, barley, oat, wood sorrel, stinging nettle, and various other edible plants were very bountiful.

The town militia now had access to copper items due to there now being a constant production of metal.

Marley Camdens had been showered in glory, and as he moved along the town, people clasping his arms, people wiping their eyes, he realized that the promised land should not merely be limited to a chosen people who were now very literate in christian/latter-day saint terms under his own interpretation. His sunday flock was the town's whole population, and even the renovated church still felt stagnant.

He first married that fair-skinned and innocently benevolent boy of 20 who had retained his youth to an unfathomable degree due to lucky genetics. The clean people for their time (due to the production of primitive soaps and regular bathing in both the river and reserved basins) might have retained their youth more than their other counterparts, but this was an exception. Christened under the name "Michael" (which was alien to him, but Camdens strived for as much familiarity to home as possible), his delicate hands were taken in the first marriage of the temple. Setting an example for the liberties of his people, one of the town's best-versed clerics and bishops united the two of them and sealed them for eternity. They were then jointly-baptized, layed-on-the-hands, and sprinkled with Camden's own version of anointing oil.

Two days later, the woman from before had also been proposed to, and married to the both of them as well. Due to the lack of societal structure in these times, this was perfectly acceptable and due to the fact that they had believed that Marley was a prophet, not only were these decisions not questioned-- but emulated. Christened "Rebecca", the two of them were overcome with happiness. It went safe to say that the pent up and chaste populace married at an exponential rate, building their families and preparing the next generation of saints.

Marley felt himself told by the Lord for the remaining builders not already occupied by community projects to clear paths and light torch posts across the forest in the direction the missionaries went at least unto the next plain valley to both bring the attention of wanderers, deter bears, and make future expansions easier.

Lastly, the point of Landing had been renovated to be a clay dais slowly ascending in a cake-tower like manner until the central X point, which bore several spikes on each end of the symbol that pointed towards heaven. This became the town's first monument and a sacred religious site, directly across from the temple.
(CARYTON VIDEO)

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:46 pm

Turner Jackson
Oklahoma, 2019 AD

It had all happened in slow motion.

It had already been an unusual day- work was slow, there was no drama, the customers were actually reasonable rather than complete asshats, and I actually got off early. I had no class tonight, and only minor assignments coming up in the near future. I planned to go home and do absolutely fucking nothing. Soon after clocking out, I stumbled out of the doors, ripped my hat and apron off, and hopped in my car, prepared to speed away and get home as quickly as possible. While I did my job to the best of my ability, once the clock hit five, I was done. Every man has his limits after all, and food service was extraordinarily stressful. I had been barely making it today anyway- I was extremely tired, having gotten very little sleep last night.

As I was driving down the road, I began to have a hard time concentrating on the road. I had possibly taken too much of my medication this morning (which caused drowsiness), which only made it worse. I tried to brush it off, but as I came to a stoplight, the drowsiness became stronger and stronger, to the point that I risked falling asleep at the wheel. I briefly considered pulling over to take a quick power nap, but then it happened.

Time seemed to slow down as I saw a truck veer from the opposite lane into mine, right into the front of my car. It was happening too fast though- I could only watch helplessly as the disaster unfolded. For a brief second, I heard a horrific screeching sound, before finally blacking out.

I woke up suddenly, disoriented and panicking. As my vision began to clear, the first thing I noticed was searing pain in my forehead and across my torso. Then, I looked around and saw that I was surrounded by tall grass. I couldn't hear the sounds of any nearby cars, only the various chirps, howls, and growls of the local wildlife. I could hear the distinctive sound of rushing water as well- there had to be some small creek or stream nearby. Wherever I was, it wasn't in Tulsa- I was way out in the boondocks. I laid on the ground for maybe twenty minutes, trying to gain my bearings and my memory. Finally, the few memories I had of the car accident came back to me, and I began wondering just how long I was out. Questions began racing through my mind: had I been kidnapped while I was out? Did I have any serious injuries from the accident? Does my family even know that I'm alive?

The pain unfortunately did not dull, and I was more disoriented than ever. Only now did I notice that I was completely naked- fortunately it was fairly warm out, or else I would have frozen to death. Nevertheless, it was clear something really fucked up was going on. Had he been kidnapped by some sort of weird cult to be experimented on? I quickly snapped to reality however, trying not to let my anxiety get the best of me. This was a life-or-death situation, and I needed to find a way back to civilization. Maybe there was someone out here, a hunter or farmer or something, that could help me out. Despite the pain, I forced myself up off of the ground and began walking towards the sound of the water. Eventually I found it, discovering it was a full-fledged river. Where there is a river, there's got to be life, I managed to convince myself to avoid facing the possibility of being completely isolated out here.

I started to think of my priorities. I wouldn't have long, possibly a day at most if I couldn't find shelter and start a fire- hypothermia was not a pleasant way to go. I'd have three days without water, though I was skeptical of drinking from the river, fearing I'd catch some sort of weird dysentery. Though, some water was better than no water. And of course, I would need to find or hunt for food. I had no experience with hunting, but I suppose if I was desperate enough, I could figure out some sort of way. Humans survived for thousands of years in environments like these- I had to have at least a chance.

I kept walking and walking and walking, for what felt like hours. My head felt like it was spinning. I was hardly used to this much exercise, and my legs were becoming numb. The little strength I had left was utterly sapped. After walking far enough however, I eventually came upon farmland, with what looked like wheat or barley growing. Far in the distance, I could see what looked like wooden walls, but my vision was becoming very blurry at this point. The sun was setting, and it was getting colder out- if I didn’t find shelter immediately, I knew I was going to die. However, I just had to sit down and rest for a little while. If I could just take a break...close my eyes for a few minutes, I could gain some strength back…

I blacked out. An indeterminate amount of time passed, until I was rudely awakened by being poked with some sort of stick.

“Go away,” I managed to mumble while turning over.

“I would, but you are on my land, stranger,” a deep voice replied. My eyes immediately shot open in shock. “How the hell can I understand you?” I mumbled again in confusion. The language of this man, villager...whatever was clearly not English. Yet I could understand it just as plain as my mother tongue.

The man looked back at me, equally in confusion. He looked upper 50s or early 60s, with a long beard. I could see he was wearing a kind of robe made out of animal fur, and the “stick” he was poking me with was actually a spear. “You’re not from around here, are you?”

“Who are you? What is this?” I replied still in his language, panic welling up in me. I began to turn around slowly, not wanting to prove this guy into using his weapon on me.

“You must relax, young one. I am Albiharjaz, the owner of this land. State your business here.”

I sighed and was silent for a few moments, managing to calm myself down. “I apologize for intruding on your property, sir. My name is Turner- Turner Jackson. I am from Tulsa. I was on my way home from work when I was in a major car accident...and then I woke up here. Please, if you have a phone or something, I need to contact my family. They may not even know I am alive!”

“...I have never heard of this ‘Tulsa’ before,” Albiharjaz replied slowly, looking at me as if I was insane. “You are in the capital, Uppsala.”

I frowned. “Uppsala?”

“Sweden. The Republic of Sweden.”

I froze as my gaze drifted towards the ground. I did a facepalm with both of my hands, letting out a muffled scream. How the hell did I get all the way in Europe? Did I get abducted? Picked up by some sort of cult, or human trafficking ring? I put my hands down and began shaking my head, looking back up at Albiharjaz. There was a look of pity on his face. He surely suspected I was insane, but knew I wasn’t lying. “My home is way across the ocean to the west, sir. I honestly don’t know how I got here, but if you have clothes to spare and a place to sleep just until I can get back home, I would be in your debt.”

Albiharjaz crossed his arms and thought for a moment, before finally replying. “Very well...Turner Jackson af Tulsa. I will help you, but you will work for your keep.”

He stretched out his right hand, and I stretched out mine gratefully and rose from the ground.

Month 1-2

And work I did.

The first two months were an utter blur. It was the first month of the harvest season in this region of the world, and life as a farmer was a far-cry from modern civilization. I frequently told Albiharjaz and his family (he lived with his son, his son’s wife, and their two children) of my life back in the previous world, shocking them with tales of living in towers tall enough to reach the clouds, “auto wagons” and “flying machines” that allowed people to travel large distances in a short amount of time, the sheer availability of food and clean water at all times, the low rate of disease and the long lifespans people lived. I’d tell them more, but trying to explain things like electricity to these folks was not an easy task. The children were of course intrigued, while the adults were just weirded out, but to everyone it was clear- wherever this “America” was, it was far, far away from Sweden.

I spent the months simply building up muscle strength and learning my new way of life as the tasks of the harvest had to be completed. I learned how to tend to the fields, plant and reap barley and wheat, feed and care for the animals, how to work with stone, flint and copper, how to craft a bow and arrows, how to sew and cook various meals, how to fish, etc. I even went hunting with Albiharjaz and his son a couple of times. It was truly back-breaking work, and there were many days I felt like I couldn’t make it, but I forced myself to push on. If I was permanently stuck in this world or alternate dimension, whatever the fuck this was, I planned to make the most of it. Perhaps, far in the future, I could construct some sort of machine to get back to my timeline, but that was way off for now. When I wasn’t busy working in the fields, I wandered the streets of Uppsala, introducing myself to random people on the street and various families, and even offering to perform odd jobs for them. I was rapidly trying to build up a rapport; this town only knew me as the naked, crazy man convinced he was from the future, but if I could assert myself as a normal human being, I could become a member of their community. I also visited the town’s tavern whenever I could to both drink away my sorrows and shoot the shit with fellow townspeople. Strange...I had never been this social in my life before. I guess being sent to an alternate dimension can change folks.

It was in those situations that I was able to learn more about the outside world. Uppsala was a small community of around 400 inhabitants, but it was the capital of a much larger region- that was the Republic of Sweden. The only other notable settlement in Sweden was
Copper Mountain, a large copper mine. Sweden was one of several constituent republics in what they called the “Commonwealth”, led by someone called "Raginaharjas".

Month 3

The reality started to sink in. I was never going home. The modern luxuries of indoor plumbing, electricity, and my precious video games were gone forever. I would be bathing in rivers and shitting in holes for the rest of my life, and these people were now the closest thing I had to a family. I became a bit sullen; in any other scenario, I may have entered full-blown depression, but the realities of this world didn’t allow for that. With the harvest ending, I began to spend more and more time at the tavern, using alcohol to numb the pain. When I wasn’t drunk, I inquired about local politics. This Republic, or Lýðveldi as the locals called it, was dominated by the Blues. From what I gathered, their ideology resembled the nationalism of the old world. The Commonwealth as it stood was “without law and order” or anarchic, as several Blues members repeatedly preached to me in the tavern. They demanded a centralized, highly militarized Commonwealth, the goal being to defend the realm from foreign incursions.

I suppose they had a point- from what I had learned, save for the upper levels of government, the Commonwealth was a largely decentralized institution, allowing local settlements to govern themselves however they pleased. It seemed like the only formal structure in town was the Landsþing, or Assembly of the Country that met occasionally to discuss issues and nominate one of their own as the new Aðalþingmaður, or Chief Parliamentarian; they ruled when parliament was not in session. A session was scheduled to begin in a couple of months, and I was already making arrangements to get involved. I did not want to stay a peasant farmer forever- I desired to advance in society, and it seemed like a politician could be a solid career path.
I also seemed to have an ace in the hole that could get me some respect- writing. It was an underdeveloped and largely foreign art in these parts, and I could wield a large amount of power of my own by becoming the town scribe. I had originally started by using a stick to write in dirt, mainly as a way to keep myself sane and pass the time. I wrote random things, usually the names of people I encountered and things they told me, or even what happened in old memories to keep them fresh. Albiharjaz inquired about what I was doing, and I explained this was the “writing” I constantly referred to from the old world. It allowed us to store and record useful information as a form of communication. I used certain letters and signs to represent words. Albiharjaz largely left me too it, though his son and grandchildren seemed more interested, and I began teaching them how to read and write.

Months 4-5

My craft soon developed into an occupation as word about the “strange symbols” I used spread around town. I managed to secure a supply of clay from a pottery maker; while it was a pain in the ass to create these tablets, it was far more permanent than writing in the dirt. I originally wrote my sentences in full English, but eventually realized it was far easier to abbreviate to save space- it was also easier to correct mistakes that way. These abbreviations developed into a full shorthand, which I used to crank out these clay tablets at a rapid pace. I would record deals and trades between the townspeople and use the records to help settle disputes, and full ledgers describing who exactly owned what plot of land in Uppsala; I then fired them in an oven and stored them for safe-keeping. I experimented with creating different kinds of styluses, mainly out of flint (though I did barter with a smith to make some, along with other tools out of copper). I began charging merchants in town to help record their deals. I even encountered a priest at the local temple in town that begged me to teach him how to write, which I eventually did for a fee. He babbled on about how he had heard of this art in Roskilde, which I learned was the capital of the Commonwealth. Apparently, someone called Clara Axinite Rose taught a few select students the art. Clara Rose...that was the first English name I had heard in months, and she supposedly founded this Commonwealth. Perhaps she was in the same boat I was? Nevertheless, I let him ramble on about that and “the gods”, simply satisfied with the goods I was receiving in return.

I soon became known for something entirely different- cleanliness. Disease and death seemed like the only two certainties in this world, and it pained me to see people struggle who could have easily been cured with modern medicine. I insisted and practically begged Albiharjaz and his family to heed my advice, much to Albiharjaz’s annoyance. I taught them that disease was spread by tiny little “animals” in the air that were invisible to the naked eye, and that we had discovered this truth in the old world. If proper hygiene was not heeded, these “animals” would invade the body, festering and eventually causing disease. Water had to be boiled, handwashing was crucial, the house cleaned regularly, wounds washed and cared for, etc. Beer also contained a substance useful for killing the little “animals” and keeping open wounds clean. I went around town giving my advice, almost certainly annoying the townspeople while at it, and offering to clean up any areas I saw that were dirty. I did this so often I became known as “the cleaner” among the townspeople.

Month 6

The meeting of the Landsþing was coming soon, allowing me to witness Swedish politics first hand. I was beginning to become self-sufficient, thanks to offering my services in writing and cleaning, to the point where I would soon move out of the old man’s house. I had long since paid off my debt to Albiharjaz for his room and board, and I was eternally grateful to the man for his assistance in this strange world. Alas, it was time for me to spread my wings and fly off into the sunset, into my own life. I was doing a run across town when I ran into one of the members of the Blues, who was reportedly close with Sigiwarduz, the Chief Parliamentarian of Sweden. My talents with writing were apparently sophisticated enough to be noticed by the government, and I was to be recruited as Sigiwarduz’s personal scribe. I was rather pleased- this was my ticket into a much higher political circle, and potentially greater notoriety.

I began walking fast to finish this last run, before I was to meet with Sigiwarduz personally to assume my new position.
Last edited by The Orson Empire on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rdBritan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby 3rdBritan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:27 am

Assyria had finished making the project after 2 months of hard work...i was pleased. But there were more matters to attend to.
Aksum temples had been built, much to demise of the Sumerian ones. i will write up tonight

Speyland
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Speyland » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:12 pm

Famine in Jeju Island
December, 30 DC

The settlers who are living in Jeju Island has suffered a devastating event that will change the course of the residents living there. There was a famine where approximately 500 people have died from hunger due to the island's lack of sufficient resources and that they don't have access to food and minerals. This is because winter could cause a food shortage as it may cause the plants and grains to die out meaning that there won't be rain that will make it grow.

It is a matter of time that the island might be abandoned but it is unlikely that would happen to depend on how severe their survivability is. So far, Jeju Island is still inhabited by residents of Susan's empire.

Susan Park
January 3, 31 DC

Ilseong can be seen walking around the park which is located within the palace when he sees Susan from the distance. He smiled upon seeing her.

"Your majesty!" Ilseong said happily. Susan doesn't seem to be happy but that doesn't mean that she hates him since he was a slave. "Something is missing," Susan said. "What is?" Ilseong asked in confusion.

"The clothes that you are wearing doesn't match with which hierarchy you belong to," Susan replied. "You think so?" Ilseong asked. "Since you are a child, there are many things that you might not understand the words that I am saying right now," Susan replied. "I understand you very well," Ilseong said as he clearly understands what Susan is trying to say. "How come?" Susan asked. "Well, my father works for the government while my mother was a farmer," Ilseong replied.

"I'm listening," Susan said. "One day, bandits have invaded our village and they killed my parents which I was later captured by them and was sold into slavery," Ilseong explained. "That's awful," Susan said in shock. "Indeed, but thanks to you I am free once again," Ilseong said happily. "Are you good at reading?" Susan asked. "Of course, your majesty!" Ilseong replied happily. "What books do you like to read?" Susan asked. "Well, my father usually buys books about the legends of our ancestors," Ilseong replied.

"Your ancestors?" Susan asked. "Yes, our descendants were nomads who roamed the land in search of food and freedom before we settled down permanently," Ilseong replied. "I see," Susan said. "Where does your family come from?" Ilseong asked happily. "Well..." Susan said as she wants to lie to Ilseong but doing so will result in ending their friendship.

"I-I didn't mean to ask you that question, your majesty!" Ilseong said in fear as he must've offended Susan. "You didn't offend me at all," Susan said calmy. "Why are you so calm, your majesty?" Ilseong asked. "Killing someone is a cruel thing to do which is why I abolished capital punishment because I don't want the people to suffer including myself," Susan explained. "I see," Ilseong said in shock.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" Susan smiled. "I'm not sure..." Ilseong said as he doesn't have a job in mind. "That's okay, there is plenty of time to decide," Susan said. "Perhaps, you're right," Ilseong said happily. "Now, let's get you dressed," Susan said. "Yes, your majesty!" Ilseong said.

Susan's perspective about people being sold to slavery has changed drastically as she considers it taboo and that her friend who was a slave is what caused her to change her ways and to eventually make the empire slavery-free.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:48 pm

Vinceia (March 2980)

Scholar Naxos watched the Danube river. The water began to run slower and smoother. Stone towers rose from the sides of the river. Scholar Naxos saw that the edge of the river had been planted with grasses and trees which reached the waters edge.

Scholar Naxos, “Look, Eumolpus they do something to preserve the banks of the river. It looks like how we planted the Nestos with grasses and bushes to prevent it from eroding.” He looks at the towers, “Those towers, they are not something I have seen before.”

Warrior Eumolpus, “It is indeed strange. I wonder why they built the towers.”

Scholar Naxos, “I would like to see them up close.”

They pass several small fishing boats. As they get closer, there is a larger ship with a sail and a barge. There is also a merchant ship.

Scholar Naxos, “What is that. That flat boat, what is its purpose.”

Warrior Eumolpus, “It looks like it has amphorae for wine and large boxes on it. Why would they make a boat flat.”

Scholar Naxos, “These are new things.”

Warrior Eumolpos, “I wonder who these people are.”

The four trade ships approach the shores of the town. They pull up a little ways away from Vinceia and beach the ships lowering ramps offload material. The ships have triangular lateen sails, a rudder, and oars.

Warrior Eumolpus, “Maybe you should not wear so much jewelry this time.”

Scholar Naxox, “Alright, if you dress up as a hunter and trader, then maybe we won't get as many questions.”

Scholar Naxos and Warrior Eumolpus wait for Amber Trader Van to come off the ship.

They walk towards the town which has log houses with shingled roofs and an open market near the shore. They can see a large stockade with earthen ramparts on top of a hill overlooking Vinceia. Several columns of smoke rise from the stockade.

Scholar Naxos, “I wonder what that is.”

Warrior Eumolpus, “It looks like the smoke from a bronze foundry.”

Scholar Naxos points at the building and two other scholars begin drawing the stockade from a distance.

They get closer to the village. The large ship has two masts. They can see ballistae on the top of the ship. There are men with spears and swords on the deck.

Warrior Eumolpus, “We should not get too close to the big ship. The Nestos League told us specifically not to take any military action or get involved with local politics.”

Scholar Naxos and two of the scholar go to take a look at the barge. One of the workers on the barge waves them over.

Barge worker, “Who are you?”

Scholar Naxos, “We are traders from Varna, come to take a look at what you have?”

Barge worker, “I have never heard of Varna. We're bringing a load of wine into Vinceia.”

Scholar Naxos, “That is an interesting boat. What do you call it?”

Barge worker, “It's a barge. We bring in trade goods, wine and textiles and we bring out iron. The men buy cheap wine by the amphorae. They like to relax at the end of the week.”

Scholar Naxos, “Thanks for letting us know.”

The scholars finish drawing an outline of the barge.

They walk towards the town.

As they get close to entrance of the town, they can see men in horse drawn wagons bringing out boxes to the waiting merchant ship or heading down a road along the Danube.

There are guards posted at the entrance. The guards are dressed in a silver metal which glints in the sun on the cold day.

Scholar Naxos asks Warrior Eumolpus, “What is that metal they are wearing?”

Warrior Eumolpus, “I have never seen it before. Maybe it is iron gilded with silver. They gild bronze with brass to make it prettier. We should not ask the soldiers too many questions.”

Scholar Naxos, “Alright. We are here for trade and to learn about the Bible from the church.”

Warrior Eumolpus, “Yes that is correct.”

Scholar Naxos walks up to the gate. There are several guards in the silvery armor and helms. One of them steps forward.

He looks at Scholar Naxos, “State your business why you come to Vinceia.”

Scholar Naxos, remembering what the barge worker said, “I am here to trade for iron, textiles and wine. I hear the wine is good here.”

The gate guard, “Do you have any other business. If you do please state it.”

Scholar Naxos in Common, “We wish to see the followers of Christ. We have heard that the bible has spread here. We want to ask about it.”

The gate guard, “There is blacksmith named Eric, he has formed a small circle where they gather to discuss the teachings. Eric is not a priest.”

Scholar Naxos in Common, “Is he a “missionary? We wish to know about the missionaries”.

Gate Guard, “I see. Can we look at what you are bringing in?” The gate guard touches the wooden cross he is wearing around his neck.

Scholar Naxos, “Please do. We have a wide variety of quality goods.”

Gate Guard, “Where are you from?”

Scholar Naxos, “We come from Varna by ship. We are traders along the river.”

The gate guards look through the handicrafts, spices, herbs, jewelry, and metal ingots. There is no obvious contraband.

Gate Guard, “Remember, you cannot go up the hill. That requires special permission. Please go to the market, the inn, and to see the Blacksmith, Eric. Do not go anywhere else.”

The group of men and women from Oak enter Vinceia. There is a main road for the market. They follow it. They have several pack donkeys with them. It is a leisurely walk down the main road to the iron market.

At the iron market, one of the scholars, a follower of Etana named Belanum picks out iron tools and objects to trade for. He is dressed in a black robe with embroidered hammers, sickles, and saws in gold and red thread on the edges and wears a bronze wheel amulet.

They are not looking for raw iron, but different ways that iron can be shaped. They trade for tongs, horse shoes, a heavy iron plough, sickles, pruning hooks, adzes, chisels, awls, and all kinds of tools.

They also trade for fine linen and machine spun wool.

Some of the trade goods are odd. Spices, herbs, and dried medicinal and cooking plants way out of season which come from the greenhouses of the Nestos League. Quality handicrafts like embroidery, wall hangings, candles, scarves, carved bowls, spoons, socks, and hats. Exotic goods like carnelian, ivory, crocodile hides, animal hides, ebony and other goods from far away Egypt, Sumeria, and Nubia.

When they are done, several of the scholars visit Blacksmith Eric. There is an afternoon meeting in a mostly empty building not far from the forge. A group of ten guards and the blacksmith meet to discuss the Parable of the Sower. They each take turns speaking about what they feel of the Parable of the Sower. No one of them is in charge. Eric reads from the bible, then gives it to Sergeant Joseph who also reads a passage from the parable. After they are done reading, they say a prayer.

The scholars wait and listen. The three of them look rather odd in their robes of green, blue, and black.

Eric the Blacksmith approaches them. They are quietly practicing their active listening skills.

Eric, “Who are you?”

Scholar Naxos, “I am Scholar Naxos. We have come from Varna. On the river down the Danube, we heard that there were priests coming down the river called “missionaries”, are you a missionary?”

Eric, “Can you tell that to me again?. I am not a priest. I have been called to read the bible, but I am not a priest.”

Scholar Naxos, “How can you have a holy book and not have a priest? Are not people who are blessed by the gods priests.”

Eric, “Missionaries are followers of the lord, Jesus who take up the calling to tell people about Christianity. They are not priests. Any man can be reached by the light of our lord. You have to be called. I was called by the lord to read the bible so others could hear the message.”

Scholar Naxos, “We have received a book called the bible in our lands and wanted to learn more about it.”

Eric, “So you want to become Christians?”

Scholar Naxos, “We would like to understand what a christian is. We have read parts of this bible and do not understand it. The Egyptians and the Sumerians we know are different than the ones we read here.”

Blacksmith Eric, “That is interesting. I have never met an Egyptian or Sumerian.”

Scholar Belamun, “My family they are originally from Ur.”

Blacksmith Eric, “What? You are not making this up.”

Scholar Belamun, “Yes, my father was from Ur.”

Blacksmith Eric, “Why don't we go outside to talk. I am not a priest and I understand the bible from what I have read, not by the interpretation of another man."

Scholar Naxos, “There is a tavern near here. Maybe you could meet us at the tavern.”

Blacksmith Eric, “I do not usually go to the tavern. Beer does not agree with me. It gives me a headache.”

Scholar Naxos, “Do you know any missionaries? Maybe there is one who can come with us?”

Blacksmith Eric, “I do not know you very well.”

Scholar Naxos, “We could offer passage to one of your "missionaries" who know the bible well. We would take them to Varna.”

Blacksmith Eric, “Let me consider what you have to say. There are not many of us. They are mostly soldiers who cannot leave here.”

Scholar Naxos, “We will be waiting on the river. We plan on leaving in the morning.”

The third scholar does not say anything. She is dressed in the green robes of The Daughters of Penelope. She does not understand what is being said. She only has just learned a few words of Imperial Common.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:49 pm

Stórþingishús, Roskilde,
Year 17, 7th Winter Sunday, late afternoon,
Raginaharjas Kunjamundusson af Roskilde

That, that was exhausting.

A hólmganga against an experienced hunter. A Regular Session running two days overtime. A dozen representatives expelled for being unable to stay seated. Sometimes the work of being the ræðumaður Stórþingsins Norðurlands felt more like a chore than a position of prestige and glory. I've come up with the metaphor of a poor overstressed keeper trying to herd a crowd of cats, and years later that still applies.

I've gotten very good at this, after two and a half decades of experience, but that doesn't mean it comes more naturally to me or that I have more of an inclination for it than I did in that first Session so many years ago. I am, and will probably remain for as long as I live (which, if people's comments are anything to go by, seems to shape up to be a very long time indeed) a man of the hunting fields, bow in one hand and my catch in another. This different battlefield, this far more abstract terrain that was the customs and traditions of peoples and States, this was not a battlefield where I was a natural-born warrior. It was Clara's.

Despite the overtime discussions, between all the controversies and the bickering it was not a very productive Regular Session for the Stórþing. More proposals were voted down than enshrined into law. The Chamber voted against repealing the principle of free movement from the Rights and Duties of the Citizen. The Chamber voted against additional military support to Rotterdam. The Chamber voted against extending the Swedish embargo of the Empire across the Commonwealth. The Chamber essentially shelved the discussion on new Republics, by stripping all real action from the proposed resolution via amendments and turning it into an entirely abstract statement that the Stórþing approved in principle of creating new Republics out of the Commonwealth's colonies in the east. Then the Chamber immediately proceeded to slaughter the motion to repeal the legal restrictions on raiding in the British Isles in the Second Reading.

Clara once said to me that the most ambitious revolutionary becomes, the day after their revolution, a staunch conservative. Looking at the formerly-radical Reds holding the Chamber floor, trying to hold their ground and their less committed allies in defence of all the measures and reforms that they pressed in previous Sessions, and looking at the formerly cautious Blues on the outskirts, gleefully throwing rocks around the pottery shop now that it's not their pottery anymore and undermining the administration in a hundred little disputes... I can't help but think that maybe she had a point; the power of the Chamber has shifted, and with it the roles that each faction plays in it.

A handful of minor disputes got settled this week, but that was about it. I feel profoundly exhausted, looking forwards only to getting a long, loooong night of sleep after the Closing Ceremony feast tonight. I wonder, again, why I do this.

Of course, I need only see the nation which we have built together to remember why.

Because somebody has to.

City Hall, Scandinavian Sector, Rotterdam,
Year 18, 6th Spring Sunday,
Geirr Hilmarsson af Skien

"Well, gentlemen?"

The armed hooligans streamed into my office.

"Don't act dumb," their leader, or the person I assumed was their leader given his coloured headband, spat out. "You know very well exactly what we're here for. We've been demanding it all week."

That much, at least, was true. I knew very well what it was that they wanted. My resignation. It was not difficult to see that demand coming. News of the captive revolt in Kaupang reached our settlement some weeks ago, and the mood in the settlement has been very tense since. Rotterdam, after all, was a commercial settlement. There were foreigners streaming in and out of it all the time, peddling their wares, no less eager to take advantage of the growing network of land-based trade centered on the city than the native Scandinavian residents of the city were. Since, and this I learned through many years of bitter experience, most men were idiots, some of the more easily spooked members of the citizenry were rather concerned by their presence.

The obvious response, that the revolt in Kaupang was the result of years of mistreatment of the captives on part of the native residents of the settlement and that consequently Rotterdam, who have never treated with the local natives of the region with anything but fair and mutually beneficial trade, had absolutely nothing to fear, sailed right over the understanding of these blind men. To them, Celts were Celts. If some of them took up arms against Scandinavians in Kaupang, what's to say they won't do that here?

It didn't help that the more opportunistic and influential members of Rotterdam fanned the fires of dissent so, eager to ride this wave of public outrage into power. That, that truly did make me disappointed. Unlike the blind, panicked men they led, I knew for a fact that these leaders did know better. They just didn't care.

"And my response," I decided to interject, before they could rile themselves up into even more of a frenzy, "remains as it was this Tuesday. I am not offering my resignation from this office, no matter how much that disturbs the other members of the City Council."

"This is the Will of the People," the populist roared, gesturing to the crowd standing behind him. In the confined quarters of the office, with barely half a dozen men, the effect was rather more subdued that he would perhaps have liked. And I knew that he was bluffing. There was a reason I was able to maintain my composure in what very possible might end up being the final minutes of my life, and it was that their presence here wasn't the surprise they thought it was. I saw them coming from the streets outside, and knew for a fact that there wasn't more than a dozen or so total, even including the ones out in the hallway that I could not see at the moment.

Yet, there was no difference. He might as well have mobilised the entire populace of Rotterdam on his side, because my fragile elderly self, alone, seated in an office? If it really came down to a fight it wouldn't matter very much whether I faced off against ten men or a hundred.

"This," he continued, in a more controlled voice, "is our Will. We won the elections this season. The right-minded Scandinavians who understand the foreign threat has won our confidence at the ballot box! Your refusal to vacate your office, despite the dislike the people you claim to represent have for you, makes you no better than an autocrat."

A round of hissing. Yeah, that was a sensitive word around here, and a grave insult to accuse someone of being. A not insignificant portion of the colonists who built this city in its earlier years were drawn from the displaced refugees of the Holsten War.

"I will remind you," I responded dryly, for regardless of whether I walk out of this office alive or be carried out of here dead, I intended to do so with my unflappable reputation and impeccable honour intact, "that I was elected to this office to serve a term of three years. At the conclusion of my term, in the election that will actually contest this seat I am occupying, if you fellows can demonstrate that the people indeed want me personally, and not merely the faction with which I am associated with, out of power, I will indeed be happy to yield this office."

"But I will not submit to this petty bullying. The law exists for a reason."
Last edited by Plzen on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:12 am

Olivia Ingels

I stepped out of my home in the middle of the town with the earliest light of dawn. Oh Salihah, may she rest in peace, willed that her home be given to her most faithful disciple -- even if she has much to learn -- should inherit it. Who was I to refuse? A modest home, mud walls, a roof of wooden beams, with a simple wool-stuffed bed my mother and father made, some bowls, some pots, some blankets, a rug - it was comfortable now with significantly more privacy and just livingspace - but somehow, seemingly, I missed the sound and warmth of sleeping in a room of three adults and two babies - who knew. Perhaps I had gotten used to and took comfort in the family which I surrounded myself with, even if we argued often. I stepped out of my room to the cool air of the desert morning - when the suns rays had not baked the dust and sand enough to radiate the heat of the day. Taking a deep breath, I unfurled the rolled rug in my hands, shaking it violently to beat out the thick layer of dust ground down into it - letting out a great hazy cloud of dirt, making my eyes water, and with a misplaced breath, nearly choke.

"Good morning Olivia." Came a voice from outside the cloud, and in a panic I dropped the rug, too lost in my work and thoughts to see them coming. With a few moments to wipe away the tears from my eyes I saw who it was, immediately making me blush. "Ah!- Alya! Ah... wonderful seeing you today. S- sorry. I didn't see you there."

She raised an eyebrow, but didn't seem too weirded out, “I wanted to talk with you about the studies you occasionally hold on math and reason – I wanted to maybe see if perhaps you could go over it in more detail with me – I find it rather fascinating.”

Oh god – oh god. She was beautiful, danced like wild, strong, tall, AND smart?... Who was this girl? Why was she so attractive? Well – I say tall – she was just under my height, which was gigantic for the village. “Oh – gosh – why sure! I don’t see why not – did you have any specific day?”

“Well I was thinking today – mother says the omens are bad for tending the fields – so we are waiting until tomorrow to do such. Perhaps I could help you with your day’s work so we might have some time to discuss it this afternoon?”

“I… don’t see why not! Absolutely. Would you mind first helping me with the blankets inside there? After I beat out the rugs and curtains, I was going to wash the blankets on the bed and change the straw out of the pillow – Oh! And how could I forget – I need to make sure the boy I got to collect the refuse today actually did his work…”

“Sure! Absolutely! – Here – let me go grab a basket from home and we can take the blankets to the spring?...”

I probably laughed at everything she said. I blushed and looked away and covered my face with my headscarf whenever she commented on an achievement of mine, I tried to respond with compliments of my own, but I soon learned I knew little about her. So while we both kneeled far downstream at the river, I looked up from my scrubbing and asked curious, “I don’t think I know much about you Alya, how is your family?”

“Oh! My family? I suppose I haven’t talked too much – have I? Sorry.” She chuckled. “I live with my aunt and uncle and their four other children – my mom died in childbirth and my dad was taken by the sea. I became like their oldest daughter – and ever since I call them mother and father. I worked ever since then – mainly in the fields, and if not then gathering… I always had to help out and support everyone else. I – heh. I guess I kind of am a third parent of sorts to my cousins. I suppose it lead me to be a bit more forward, you could put it.”

I nodded along sympathetically, lapping up every word. “So then – how are they now?”

She shrugged, putting down her work. “I suppose they’re fine. All three of the boys work on the fishingboats, the one girl married quite young to one of the newcomers from Ur.”

“Huh… And um… have you found someone you’d like to marry?”

“Me? Oh goodness no. Nobody has offered a dowry so I haven’t thought much of it. Perhaps when they do though – I mean, im well past the marriage age.”

I simply nodded along and went back to my work, asking occasional questions about her life, her interest, her individual family members. It was nice… cute. Warm. Cozy. She was quite a brave person, shouldering what seemed like the world on her shoulders. As it would turn out, her uncle had been sick for several months now – old Salihah when she was still alive couldn’t pinpoint the ailment. I doubted I could either – but I could offer my sympathies, for all that was worth. It took several hours, but surprisingly when the sun was high in the sky I felt comfortable enough to retire from my labors and sit down with a cup of watery, effectively vinegar, under a few palms in the grove, discussing maths and science and philosophy on a level and confidence I did not expect from someone from this region.

“…Well there must be something that pulls the tides out. Or rather, pushes it away. I thought that maybe the weight of the ocean pulled the water back down to it’s depths, and the waves were it clawing it’s way back up to the shore…” She would say, and honestly it was by /far/ more poetic of an idea than gravity ever could be.

“And if the household is the center of the village, shouldn’t the village be run like a household? With a patriarch and matriarch and all under as the children? I mean – it is the founding piece in our society – so it makes sense that the society should reflect it, right? Not to criticize your role in helping us however, but I am happy you have not made any attempts to take things from us, to use your authority to make us all look dumb or you superior. I know too many people who use their own skills as a put-down to others, because they think they’re better. Which honestly is camelshit. Those blessed with old age? Certainly, but don’t think you’re better than your fellow students in the experience of life…”

Eventually I was alone and she had gone – and I stared wistfully up at my ceiling in the dark. God, I had a crush on her. But how would that be treated in a society based on marriage as a social contract between families – the essential thing to ensure more hands work in the fields and on the boats? More than that – WHAT IF SHE WAS STRAIGHT? Is straight even a thing here, or is it like the kinsey scale where everyone is a little bisexual. Fuck, who knows even? All I could do is sit and think and try to sleep in my state of sweat and woe, turning from side to side, sick to my stomach with childlike love.
The next day would come with all sorts of challenges. Ones I wouldn’t be prepared for. As a fishingboat carrying six people – four men and two young boys - was lost at sea, swept into the ocean currents by a freak storm they under-anticipated. All presumed dead after not coming back the night before. It should be known that I am infact not a healer, nor a magician, nor a priestess of some foreign religion – I just was a philosophy minor from the twenty-first century. And when they thought they needed the magical healing and safety that Salihah brought… they went to me. I was woken up before the dawn had even arisen by two teary-eyed wives, begging for some ounce of comfort… I didn’t know what to do, so I let them in, and we sat together. We sat together on the floor, I fixed them tea, rekindled the small fire in the room, and just… let them talk. What else was I supposed to do. I let them talk, I uttered words of sympathy, and then one of the two asked if I would pray for them, to the spirit of the sea, to return home safely. Well… what was I supposed to say but yes? We prayed together, holding hands in a small circle of three, and surprisingly… I felt something. I don’t really know what I felt, maybe just human connection – but in this moment I legitimately believed something deeper was felt in my heart in that room. These two women had full faith that the sea was an angry spirit that would swallow us whole aswell as provide for us. And I… didn’t have the same gut reaction to disagree. Because even if it wasn’t metaphysically real, it was emotionally real. And to provide that courage, that hope to these women? That was real, it wasn’t cynical, it was kindness.

The men did not return home. Not even a week later. It was clear to all of us their graves were beneath the waves. But I think I regained some ounce of my spirituality I lost when I was rejected by the church for who I was so long ago, in another life. These gods – they might not be real, but they have real effects on the world, on people, and that is powerful. For staying up with them and getting less than a wink of sleep that night, I was rewarded with several baskets of “thank you” gifts… for just showing kindness and giving hope – and promising to keep the men in my prayers. I don’t think it was for their souls – nobody seemed to believe such a thing existed but remembering them in such a way seemed to bring about a sense of comfort for the families of those killed. Remembrance which I would soon wish to manifest physically – with six stones just outside the village, each marked with the name of the person lost at sea, each with the help of the families carving them. A sort of catharsis I think, with a physical reminder of the lost person. But whatever it was – it made them happy, and that is what mattered most to me.
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse