NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations ( OOC, Always Open, Reboot )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Joohan wrote:
Plzen wrote:Would it be better if I spell it Prythani in the Celtic manner? :p

... Well, I'd prefer it to Albion.

I guess this war will likely create the identity of the british isles.

Imperial Newfoundland vs Albion :p
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:So technology of the era....

What are people farming nowadays?
What tools have been established across the isles?
And what would be the political environment around a hamlet/village around Spalding, UK?

your typical cereals are the mainstay of farming in and around Icedonia. Overall production across the island has dramatically increased with the introduction of the scythe, wheelbarrow, iron tools, roads, a dedicated security force and in some places even irrigation.

Spalding is just north of the Service's edge, and so wouldn't have main roads, a professional security force, or irrigation - but almost certainly local clans will have been trading tools and iron implements with Service merchants - and have almost certainly been making contact with Observer Accants ( kind of like Service researchers ).

Icedonia to the south would be seen as a kind of cornucopia for those clans and tribes on the peripheries of it's territories. What would make many hesitate to join it's ranks would be the steep cost of swearing service. All males between the ages of 15-40 are put through six months of Basic Combat training in the Icedonian heartland and could be called up for Army service at any time. Civilians could be called up to do public service at any time to help in public works projects. Accants ( who also act as bureaucrats ) would also record practically every faucet of activity and production in a new area. Internal politics would be left to the chiefs and local clans - but it would be understood that the service hierarchy had supreme oversight in pretty much what ever it wanted.

Then there's the Commonwealth. If you live on the English East coast, and you're not apart of the service - it's viking time!

That's a rough layout.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Oh, Hey Ted! I play as Sumer and is one of the richest nations in the world as of right now. I will be invading the British Isles later on.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Ralnis wrote:Oh, Hey Ted! I play as Sumer and is one of the richest nations in the world as of right now. I will be invading the British Isles Venice of the New World later on.

Fixed that for ya

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:39 pm

Joohan wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:So technology of the era....

What are people farming nowadays?
What tools have been established across the isles?
And what would be the political environment around a hamlet/village around Spalding, UK?

your typical cereals are the mainstay of farming in and around Icedonia. Overall production across the island has dramatically increased with the introduction of the scythe, wheelbarrow, iron tools, roads, a dedicated security force and in some places even irrigation.

Spalding is just north of the Service's edge, and so wouldn't have main roads, a professional security force, or irrigation - but almost certainly local clans will have been trading tools and iron implements with Service merchants - and have almost certainly been making contact with Observer Accants ( kind of like Service researchers ).

Icedonia to the south would be seen as a kind of cornucopia for those clans and tribes on the peripheries of it's territories. What would make many hesitate to join it's ranks would be the steep cost of swearing service. All males between the ages of 15-40 are put through six months of Basic Combat training in the Icedonian heartland and could be called up for Army service at any time. Civilians could be called up to do public service at any time to help in public works projects. Accants ( who also act as bureaucrats ) would also record practically every faucet of activity and production in a new area. Internal politics would be left to the chiefs and local clans - but it would be understood that the service hierarchy had supreme oversight in pretty much what ever it wanted.

Then there's the Commonwealth. If you live on the English East coast, and you're not apart of the service - it's viking time!

That's a rough layout.

So basically dry farming with tools brought on by trade with Icedonia. So ideally, Spalding, would be a settlement that is neutral, but has traded with Icedonia. And with the Commonwealth moving in, they have to either take sides or stubbornly stay neutral. Would Spalding see any migratory refugees escaping the south?
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:41 pm

Ralnis wrote:Oh, Hey Ted! I play as Sumer and is one of the richest nations in the world as of right now. I will be invading the British Isles later on.

Aren't you in the middle east? I don't believe the Sassanian Empire was a faction in Thrones of Britannia...

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:41 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Joohan wrote:

That's a rough layout.

So basically dry farming with tools brought on by trade with Icedonia. So ideally, Spalding, would be a settlement that is neutral, but has traded with Icedonia. And with the Commonwealth moving in, they have to either take sides or stubbornly stay neutral. Would Spalding see any migratory refugees escaping the south?

Years ago, yes, some refugees would have escaped from my campaign along the Aerbaker. In the four years since though, things in the region have stabilized.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:43 pm

Plzen wrote:
Joohan wrote:Also, @EVERYONE, can we please call the British isles something other than the British isles? It's 2980 B.C... what's a Britain? We can certainly do better than old world nomenclature or... * shivers *... dead latin names...

Would it be better if I spell it Prythani in the Celtic manner? :p

Considering I've just given up, and use google translate Irish (got nothing to work with here!), that wouldn't be too unreasonable. We already call England Sasana.

Oh, and you might have missed it, but Sabia referred to Clara with a honorific title before. It translates to Lady Senate, which is both a meme and a cool name.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:43 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Oh, Hey Ted! I play as Sumer and is one of the richest nations in the world as of right now. I will be invading the British Isles later on.

Aren't you in the middle east? I don't believe the Sassanian Empire was a faction in Thrones of Britannia...

Not just in the middle east, I own the middle east and beyond.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Wouldn't invading Britain as Sumeria require you to conquer most of Europe? Seems logistically impossible and a bad idea because Clara, Patrick, and Viktor are all serious contenders for Europe.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:
Plzen wrote:Would it be better if I spell it Prythani in the Celtic manner? :p

Considering I've just given up, and use google translate Irish (got nothing to work with here!), that wouldn't be too unreasonable. We already call England Sasana.

Oh, and you might have missed it, but Sabia referred to Clara with a honorific title before. It translates to Lady Senate, which is both a meme and a cool name.

My Heart:* urge to make prequels joke intensifies *

My conscious:... Don't try it

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Joohan wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:Considering I've just given up, and use google translate Irish (got nothing to work with here!), that wouldn't be too unreasonable. We already call England Sasana.

Joohan not making prequel jokes? A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.
yee haw it's time for mass line

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:Wouldn't invading Britain as Sumeria require you to conquer most of Europe? Seems logistically impossible and a bad idea because Clara, Patrick, and Viktor are all serious contenders for Europe.

I would unironically greatly enjoy an invasion from Sumeria.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Joohan wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:So basically dry farming with tools brought on by trade with Icedonia. So ideally, Spalding, would be a settlement that is neutral, but has traded with Icedonia. And with the Commonwealth moving in, they have to either take sides or stubbornly stay neutral. Would Spalding see any migratory refugees escaping the south?

Years ago, yes, some refugees would have escaped from my campaign along the Aerbaker. In the four years since though, things in the region have stabilized.

Interesting... I imagine some citizens in Spalding could be survivors- a reason to why Spalding is hesitant on joining the Icedonians. Bringing to reason why they have remained neutral even faced with the economic benefits of joining Icedonia. Just getting a idea of the political atmosphere of Spalding. Is it ok to have had Spalding become a decently sized settlement due to migration and whatnot? Or is that going to far?

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:55 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:Wouldn't invading Britain as Sumeria require you to conquer most of Europe? Seems logistically impossible and a bad idea because Clara, Patrick, and Viktor are all serious contenders for Europe.

Sumerian Fanfiction these days...

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Reatra wrote:
Joohan wrote:

Joohan not making prequel jokes? A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

We've not had some good prequal memes in a while. I've been looking forward to this.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:58 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Joohan wrote:

Interesting... I imagine some citizens in Spalding could be survivors- a reason to why Spalding is hesitant on joining the Icedonians. Bringing to reason why they have remained neutral even faced with the economic benefits of joining Icedonia. Just getting a idea of the political atmosphere of Spalding. Is it ok to have had Spalding become a decently sized settlement due to migration and whatnot? Or is that going to far?

A few hundred would be reasonable. The biggest city in Icedonia, Stranix, is a 1,100+

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:03 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:

I would unironically greatly enjoy an invasion from Sumeria.

Despite it not really happening in a long time. But I could see it be kind of funny.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:

Sumerian Fanfiction these days...

At least we have more than enough money for such opulence...

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Joohan wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Interesting... I imagine some citizens in Spalding could be survivors- a reason to why Spalding is hesitant on joining the Icedonians. Bringing to reason why they have remained neutral even faced with the economic benefits of joining Icedonia. Just getting a idea of the political atmosphere of Spalding. Is it ok to have had Spalding become a decently sized settlement due to migration and whatnot? Or is that going to far?

A few hundred would be reasonable. The biggest city in Icedonia, Stranix, is a 1,100+

So a settlement about 300, I think will do. A decent settlement, but nothing to crazy. How does Icedonia fair with its other neighbors, ie other smaller settlements nearby?

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Joohan wrote:

So a settlement about 300, I think will do. A decent settlement, but nothing to crazy. How does Icedonia fair with its other neighbors, ie other smaller settlements nearby?

I'll field that question if you don't mind.

"Ahem If you do not join us, we will murder everyone. Thank you for your time."

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:So a settlement about 300, I think will do. A decent settlement, but nothing to crazy. How does Icedonia fair with its other neighbors, ie other smaller settlements nearby?

"Also, if you do join us - we will give you some iron tools so you can produce more goods for us to forcibly extract requisition in time of need."
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:14 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Joohan wrote:

Keep in mind that Service just means state for when talking about Icedonia.

Fairly good. Service employed merchants will often go out to offer trade deals to significant clans and tribes with things like grain imports, iron implements, shells ( which is our official currency ), and if they really want you, tamed horses. Accants who travel out across non-service lands will often interact with local polities to, asking questions about culture and local ecosystems in exchange for shells.

Really, the only thing which makes a polity hesitant about swearing service is the steep cost in autonomy. But, once that does happen, lot's more opportunities open up for that area. Roads, industrialization, high quality ships, security, education of potential accants, war spoils, etc.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:So a settlement about 300, I think will do. A decent settlement, but nothing to crazy. How does Icedonia fair with its other neighbors, ie other smaller settlements nearby?

... we let the women live.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:

So basically... -100 opinion on every neighbor due to aggressive policy? Got it. :p

Any generic char naming conventions? Do I just pop names from the celtic name generator? Because I kinda don't feel like being to clever with the names at the moment, and just want to get some decent names in without thinking to hard on it.

Joohan wrote:

Fairly good. Service employed merchants will often go out to offer trade deals to significant clans and tribes with things like grain imports, iron implements, shells ( which is our official currency ), and if they really want you, tamed horses. Accants who travel out across non-service lands will often interact with local polities to, asking questions about culture and local ecosystems in exchange for shells.

Really, the only thing which makes a polity hesitant about swearing service is the steep cost in autonomy. But, once that does happen, lot's more opportunities open up for that area. Roads, industrialization, high quality ships, security, education of potential accants, war spoils, etc.

Gotcha, Ill keep that in mind. Does not swearing equal war immediately or will a settlement have some time if it choose not to swear? And how does Icedonia conduct conquests and what reason do they claim for?
Last edited by Holy Tedalonia on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:I'll field that question if you don't mind.

So basically... -100 opinion on every neighbor due to aggressive policy? Got it.

Any generic char naming conventions? Do I just pop names from the celtic name generator? Because I kinda don't feel like being to clever with the names at the moment, and just want to get some decent names in without thinking to hard on it.

Anything denoting as,or being of the people or land, should end in either -ia or -ian. Andonian ( Language of the people ) is kind of universal language employed by Icedonia ( Virtuous Land or Virtuous People ) to do business with everyone, and is an amalgamation of all the dialects of central England and Wales.

Joohan wrote:

Gotcha, Ill keep that in mind. Does not swearing equal war immediately or will a settlement have some time if it choose not to swear? And how does Icedonia conduct conquests and what reason do they claim for?[/quote]

In the past, it mean't immediate war. As we've gotten bigger though, diplomacy has gotten more pragmatic. Unless we are actively undertaking a campaign, we won't outright exterminate a polity if it doesn't immediately swear service. Long term though, if we want you swear we will coerce a tribe or clan to do so - and if not it will be war.

As for how we conduct conquests, it's everything or nothing. Extermination of a defeated enemy is the official policy: all males are killed, women are given to soldiers as wives, settlements are razed and the empty land given to loyal service members.

Just to give you an example of what we are to the grand scheme of this game, here's what our flag looks like: The blazing banner. I feel like this should give you a pretty good idea about who we are in this game...
Last edited by Joohan on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse