NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations ( OOC, Always Open, Reboot )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue May 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Never thought Luther as an barely bearable and exploitative monster. I feel bad for Sumeria if he ever unites the land.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:*cough*

Ballistae built out of a random cow?

Wait, what?
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 pm

I just want to say how disappointed I am that none of you went with the Roman name “Biggus Dickus.”
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue May 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Joohan wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:*cough*

Ballistae built out of a random cow?

Wait, what?

Mushroom's Kingdom of the Desert apparently slaughtered a cow and made a ballista.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:

I just want to say how disappointed I am that none of you went with the Roman name “Biggus Dickus.”

Civilization OP
Envoy

Founded: Feb 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Civilization OP » Tue May 14, 2019 7:22 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Joohan wrote:
Wait, what?

Mushroom's Kingdom of the Desert apparently slaughtered a cow and made a ballista.

You don't say.

Gimme one second.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue May 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:

Personally I went with Penetratus Maximus. But nobody thought that name was serious enough.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Tue May 14, 2019 7:44 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:I might write today... maybe...

Anything I need to do, so Im all up to date? Map stuff, etc...

Damn the Irish and Imperium have expanded quite a bit...

Aggressive Expansion is just a number

Over Extensions is just aaaaooOH GOD I WENT OVER 100

*Just had a Muscovy Ironman game be destroyed by coalitions*

*sulks*
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue May 14, 2019 7:59 pm

G-Tech,

1. Generally, what’s the rough geographical extent of your influence?
2. More specifically, what would Clara see and hear sailing up the Elbe?
3. What does your capital look like? Some kind of miniature 19th Century London?
Last edited by Plzen on Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 pm

Ralnis wrote:Never thought Luther as an barely bearable and exploitative monster. I feel bad for Sumeria if he ever unites the land.

Monster, no. Just a bit more on the self centered side based on your stated goal of opulent merchant king

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:
Aggressive Expansion is just a number

Over Extensions is just aaaaooOH GOD I WENT OVER 100

*Just had a Muscovy Ironman game be destroyed by coalitions*

*sulks*

Honestly I haven't gotten a game ending coalition in a while. Just finished a fantastic run as Hisn Kayfa, and somehow didn't even get a small one. That was mostly fighting the Mamluks though

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue May 14, 2019 8:14 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Never thought Luther as an barely bearable and exploitative monster. I feel bad for Sumeria if he ever unites the land.

Monster, no. Just a bit more on the self centered side based on your stated goal of opulent merchant king

I mean I am giving back to the people and wishing to bring prosperity to the land. Just that being a rich fat cat happens to be a path I set my sights on in order for this to happen.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Civilization OP
Envoy

Founded: Feb 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Civilization OP » Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 pm

G, where was the battle actually? I don't see any way that the Imperium could have expanded all the way down to Romania in only less than eight years time.

Take a look at the territory I drew on the map marked Imperium. This was what I was tracking to be the extent of the Imperium

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 pm

Joohan wrote:
Wait, what?

Is there nothing cows aren't good for.
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:

In a world where an army wearing literal cement, carrying literal sandbags across the God damn Sinai peninsula doesn't collapse after an hour from collective heat exhaustion, anything is possible

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Tue May 14, 2019 10:11 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

In a world where an army wearing literal cement, carrying literal sandbags across the God damn Sinai peninsula doesn't collapse after an hour from collective heat exhaustion, anything is possible

..... i'm sorry...?
yee haw it's time for mass line

Mushroomio
Envoy

Founded: Feb 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mushroomio » Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 am

Bortslovakia wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

While I agree that the cow thing was very stupid of me, and that I didn't think at all when writing it and i'm sorry about that, I did calculations based on the specifications I described, and the helmet would be around 8 pounds, the plates all together 5 pounds, and the spears 2-3 pounds each. The shields would have also been 8 pounds, bringing the grand total weight per soldier at around 33 pounds. That is not at all unreasonable to carry around, tbh, and they do have rests. Although carrying food would make it maybe 20 pounds heavier, that's still reasonable
Last edited by Mushroomio on Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RP: New Civilizations
Character: Going mad with power, it's getting to his head. His delusions of grandeur are getting worse.
RP: Black Cell
Character: Slightly sarcastic, friendly
RP: A Heart of Rust
Character: Going mad, thinking his robots are his children, a bit of a recluse

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 am

Mushroomio wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:

While I agree that the cow thing was very stupid of me, and that I didn't think at all when writing it and i'm sorry about that, I did calculations based on the specifications I described, and the helmet would be around 8 pounds, the plates all together 5 pounds, and the spears 2-3 pounds each. The shields would have also been 8 pounds, bringing the grand total weight per soldier at around 33 pounds. That is not at all unreasonable to carry around, tbh, and they do have rests. Although carrying food would make it maybe 20 pounds heavier, that's still reasonable

Put the extra weight on a goat and create pack goats. It is a real possibility. I have thought about doing this. http://www.emporiagazette.com/latest_ne ... f6eda.html Oxen would not do that well in the desert, but goats would. We still don't have donkeys or horses.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Wed May 15, 2019 9:41 am

How long should it realistically take to domesticate horses?
Theravada Buddhist

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 am

Mushroomio wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:

While I agree that the cow thing was very stupid of me, and that I didn't think at all when writing it and i'm sorry about that, I did calculations based on the specifications I described, and the helmet would be around 8 pounds, the plates all together 5 pounds, and the spears 2-3 pounds each. The shields would have also been 8 pounds, bringing the grand total weight per soldier at around 33 pounds. That is not at all unreasonable to carry around, tbh, and they do have rests.

The issue I see with it is how hot it gets in the Sinai. 33 pounds isn't much today, but the recommended weight for a hiking pack is 20% of body weight. IE someone 100 pounds should have a pack that weighs 20 pounds optimally for long distance travel, and 30 for 150 pounds. Since there's been no mention of a baggage train (which presents issues in of itself) I can only assume that the average soldier has their own supplies on hand (even with a supply caravan, I imagine most soldiers would have waterskins, some dried jerky or something, and a few helpful tools). Malnutrition means they likely wouldn't weigh nearly as much as modern day, since even with John's likely improvements to the food situation, the Sinai isn't the most fertile of regions. It is one of the colder parts of the Levant/Egypt due to high altitude, but the lowest it ever reaches is single digits in the dead of night during winter in specific parts of the peninsula. In short, on average it's real flat and it's real hot. Cement, to my knowledge, also serves as a good form of insulation compared to other construction materials. Combine that with the fact that wearing concrete armor without some form of padding would be hell, and you have some really bulked up soldiers. So you have overloaded soldiers marching through a flat desert at worst (plain at best), in armor that acts as a fairly good insulator. Assuming for supplies, that would put the weight closer to 40 a person (they probably aren't bringing much with them I'll concede). At the very least those soldiers are guaranteed to be exhausted, and likely would be going through water at an insane rate.

Mushroomio
Envoy

Founded: Feb 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mushroomio » Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 am

Bortslovakia wrote:
Mushroomio wrote:
While I agree that the cow thing was very stupid of me, and that I didn't think at all when writing it and i'm sorry about that, I did calculations based on the specifications I described, and the helmet would be around 8 pounds, the plates all together 5 pounds, and the spears 2-3 pounds each. The shields would have also been 8 pounds, bringing the grand total weight per soldier at around 33 pounds. That is not at all unreasonable to carry around, tbh, and they do have rests.

The issue I see with it is how hot it gets in the Sinai. 33 pounds isn't much today, but the recommended weight for a hiking pack is 20% of body weight. IE someone 100 pounds should have a pack that weighs 20 pounds optimally for long distance travel, and 30 for 150 pounds. Since there's been no mention of a baggage train (which presents issues in of itself) I can only assume that the average soldier has their own supplies on hand (even with a supply caravan, I imagine most soldiers would have waterskins, some dried jerky or something, and a few helpful tools). Malnutrition means they likely wouldn't weigh nearly as much as modern day, since even with John's likely improvements to the food situation, the Sinai isn't the most fertile of regions. It is one of the colder parts of the Levant/Egypt due to high altitude, but the lowest it ever reaches is single digits in the dead of night during winter in specific parts of the peninsula. In short, on average it's real flat and it's real hot. Cement, to my knowledge, also serves as a good form of insulation compared to other construction materials. Combine that with the fact that wearing concrete armor without some form of padding would be hell, and you have some really bulked up soldiers. So you have overloaded soldiers marching through a flat desert at worst (plain at best), in armor that acts as a fairly good insulator. Assuming for supplies, that would put the weight closer to 40 a person (they probably aren't bringing much with them I'll concede). At the very least those soldiers are guaranteed to be exhausted, and likely would be going through water at an insane rate.

That makes sense, I'll make sure I address this in my next post
RP: New Civilizations
Character: Going mad with power, it's getting to his head. His delusions of grandeur are getting worse.
RP: Black Cell
Character: Slightly sarcastic, friendly
RP: A Heart of Rust
Character: Going mad, thinking his robots are his children, a bit of a recluse

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed May 15, 2019 10:34 am

Hanafuridake wrote:How long should it realistically take to domesticate horses?

It depends. You could train a horse to be docile from a very young age, and it could be fully capable of work and other labor by the time it reaches a year old ( bearing in mind that most horse breeds were smaller during this period of history ).

But that is an individual animal. In order to have a proper stock of horses to disperse among your populace, you would need perhaps no less than 100 specimen, each being separated from each other by at least 4 generations - to insure no issues with inbreeding.

You'll likely need to supplant your own stallions with captured fowls for a couple of generations - it's what i'm doing out west.

Edit: in terms of your civ getting horses on a permanent basis, i'd give it about 20-30 years.
Last edited by Joohan on Wed May 15, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed May 15, 2019 10:58 am

Civilization OP wrote:G, where was the battle actually? I don't see any way that the Imperium could have expanded all the way down to Romania in only less than eight years time.

Take a look at the territory I drew on the map marked Imperium. This was what I was tracking to be the extent of the Imperium

More like Budapest, actually. Viktor doesn't know that though. I'm assuming that the expansion during the timeskip was more along the Danube and up the Elbe, since expansion away from easy water sources and transport wouldn't make sense in this period.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed May 15, 2019 11:09 am

Plzen wrote:G-Tech,

3. What does your capital look like? Some kind of miniature 19th Century London?

1. I vaguely presume that it runs from about Leipzing-latitude on the Elbe, down to the Danube around central Hungary, and in the upper Danube basin extensively.
2. Along the waters itself? Not much of note until she hits the Erzgebirge themselves. Then you'll run into a harbor-chain near the entrance to the mountains, and potentially shipping. Mainly small craft, but perhaps a rare knarr or the like.
3. Pretty much a generic medieval-esque town. The main things to note will be the paved roads, obvious covered sewers, and buildings constructed out of bricks of a standard dimension alongside slate roofs and machined timber boards. Far more cookie-cutter than most cities.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed May 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Plzen wrote:G-Tech,

1. I vaguely presume that it runs from about Leipzing-latitude on the Elbe, down to the Danube around central Hungary, and in the upper Danube basin extensively.
2. Along the waters itself? Not much of note until she hits the Erzgebirge themselves. Then you'll run into a harbor-chain near the entrance to the mountains, and potentially shipping. Mainly small craft, but perhaps a rare knarr or the like.
3. Pretty much a generic medieval-esque town. The main things to note will be the paved roads, obvious covered sewers, and buildings constructed out of bricks of a standard dimension alongside slate roofs and machined timber boards. Far more cookie-cutter than most cities.

Alright - could you draw an outline and send it to me so that I could better represent your territory on the map?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed May 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Joohan wrote:

Alright - could you draw an outline and send it to me so that I could better represent your territory on the map?

Certainly. I'm slowly working through that actually, since my old map only had central Czechia. Finding one large enough for detail took quite some time - but I'll get it over to you once it is complete.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse