NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations ( OOC, Always Open, Reboot )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:35 pm

Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:06 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:The only reason I might know of Aksum is that I would probably have people trading in Sumeria and watching the ships. Barrabas would probably have a few people in Ur checking on things. I am also in Nubia and Egypt. I might pick up on Aksum through trade in Egypt or Nubia. I'll get rid of it.

Sumerian presence in the Red Sea is small compared to their overland network. They only go up to the Sinai and the Egyptian outposts in the Peninsula. Within around two years in the timeskip however, there would be enough resources to throw into making an exploration to the Horn and finds Almora. Now I don't know about Nesto's intelligence but I can see that Barrabas might have some informants that work with the enemies of the Holy Dynasty. This would explain how Nestos and Sumer are stealing and sharing technology that fuels the advance diffusion that is advancing Mesopotamia itself. Luther's giant shadow network is weakened and the enemy priesthood and other opponents aren't going to go away for years even after the timeskip.

Now I don't know about trade between Egypt and Nubia. Egypt is still working out their kinks and consolidating their power structure while trading with Nestos and Sumer. Nubia itself is no more than just tribes with some advance tech I think.

Either way, I don't think you should get rid of it, just...I don't know.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kelmet » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:42 pm

Should have a rather large post up tomarrow. Im feeling pretty creative with this one.
Call me Kel
Captain US Army Intelligence

Co-OP and OP Experience

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:49 pm

In future posts I think it might be interesting to add sloppy joes to the food menu, introduce classic horror stories such as Dracula and Frankenstein to the storytellers plays, introduce Christmas by handing out toys to people, and do some rp with Bostwicks grandfather in law and maybe a birthday party.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Alright, finishing up the last parts of my final invasion post. Just started crunching some numbers for my time skip.

Assuming at present that the whole of England and Wales had a population of around 33,000 at the time - and that I'd just conquered vast swaths of Southern England and wales over the time skip, I predicted my population to rise to about 23,000 even for encompassing the territory given to me on the map. Considering a yearly growth of around 4% ( on account of polygamy, sanitation, safety, and increased agriculture ), 920 people would be born every year ( not accounting for cumulative gain ). This, would in turn put the total population to 26,680 by 2980.

Now, for anticipating the number of males which I can put through basic combat service. Let's assume that around 40% of that population is male, or about 10,672. Let's assume that 10% of this population has some kind affliction which prevents them from going through training, that would drop this number down to around 9605. Of this population, we can assume that men between the ages of 15 and 40 make up around 65% of that population, or around 6243. If all of these men were to be put through BAC, it can be assumed that around 20% would fail - putting the number of able bodied men, who would pass BAC at around 4994.

Icedonia - at it's most insane North Korea levels of military craziness - could train around 4994 soldiers.

In reality though, on account of time, available training personnel, resources, shells, logistics, and the limits of technology in this age - I think that the maximum number of soldiers which Icedonia could call upon, in the year 2980 is between 700-800

wyt?
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Cainesland wrote:In future posts I think it might be interesting to add sloppy joes to the food menu, introduce classic horror stories such as Dracula and Frankenstein to the storytellers plays, introduce Christmas by handing out toys to people, and do some rp with Bostwicks grandfather in law and maybe a birthday party.

Sumeria will be looking to start trade and buy up businesses in Crimea during and after the timeskip. Need to fuel Sumerian greed.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Joohan wrote:Considering a yearly growth of around 4% ( on account of polygamy, sanitation, safety, and increased agriculture ),

Of this population, we can assume that men between the ages of 15 and 40 make up around 65% of that population, or around 6243.

wyt?

That is... uh, very optimistic.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Plzen wrote:
Joohan wrote:Considering a yearly growth of around 4% ( on account of polygamy, sanitation, safety, and increased agriculture ),

Of this population, we can assume that men between the ages of 15 and 40 make up around 65% of that population, or around 6243.

wyt?

That is... uh, very optimistic.

The population growth or?

You know what - just looked it up, and 4% would have been double the world's average. My bad.

pooling everything back down, we'd more likely be able to field between 650-700 max
Last edited by Joohan on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:01 pm

Ralnis wrote:
Cainesland wrote:In future posts I think it might be interesting to add sloppy joes to the food menu, introduce classic horror stories such as Dracula and Frankenstein to the storytellers plays, introduce Christmas by handing out toys to people, and do some rp with Bostwicks grandfather in law and maybe a birthday party.

Sumeria will be looking to start trade and buy up businesses in Crimea during and after the timeskip. Need to fuel Sumerian greed.

Are you looking to purchase mom and pop shops? Also, at this point it is a barter economy.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:13 pm

Cainesland wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Sumeria will be looking to start trade and buy up businesses in Crimea during and after the timeskip. Need to fuel Sumerian greed.

Are you looking to purchase mom and pop shops? Also, at this point it is a barter economy.

Yes, to invest resources to feed Sumerian greed and have a way to profit from the growing Black Sea trade. Also the barter economy won't stop merchants from trying to invest in the confederation.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:08 am

Joohan wrote:
Plzen wrote:That is... uh, very optimistic.

The population growth or?

You know what - just looked it up, and 4% would have been double the world's average. My bad.

pooling everything back down, we'd more likely be able to field between 650-700 max

Considering the overall population estimate for the British Isles, including Ireland, is 30,000 at the moment (yes I know it should be significantly more, but we're going with Plzen's baseline still I believe), optimistic is an extremely nice way of putting it.

Giving pre timeskip Icedonia 10,000 people was already ridiculously generous, considering that's the same size as Ireland with seemingly no reasonable explanation. That combined with your high recruitment standards means you're probably still only fielding a professional force of 300-400.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:15 am

Bortslovakia wrote:Considering the overall population estimate for the British Isles, including Ireland, is 30,000 at the moment (yes I know it should be significantly more, but we're going with Plzen's baseline still I believe)

Plzen wrote:-- -- -- United Kingdom 49,000 (includes Ireland), of which:
-- -- -- -- England and Wales 33,000
-- -- -- -- Ireland 10,000
-- -- -- -- Scotland 6,000

...?!? England and Wales have double your land area, plus Scotland. It would have been rather startling if you had 1/3 the population of the British Isles.
Last edited by Plzen on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:50 am

First post-timeskip IC post up. A short one, because I have no idea what else to write here. Unless I did my math wrong, I believe Jórunn "Stjarna" is 17 now.

More coming soon, hopefully.
Last edited by Plzen on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:25 am

Plzen wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:Considering the overall population estimate for the British Isles, including Ireland, is 30,000 at the moment (yes I know it should be significantly more, but we're going with Plzen's baseline still I believe)

...?!? England and Wales have double your land area, plus Scotland. It would have been rather startling if you had 1/3 the population of the British Isles.

My mistake, I haven't looked at the numbers in a while. However, it's pretty easy to guesstimate population "centers" based on megaliths. Western England basically has none, and Wales only has a few, though the plurality are in Anglesey. In fact, out of all the land Issac managed to nom up in 5 years, Cornwall has more than any other concentrated area(because tin), though that's just from 10 minutes of research. Hell, Newgrange is the largest portal tomb in the world, and it was built 200 years before any author even landed. Meanwhile Stonehenge doesn't even exist yet.

Of course not every society built megalithic structures prolifically. But we at least know those that did had the population needed to do so. Frankly the "more land, more people" argument just doesn't seem plausible given the limited information we have.
Last edited by Bortslovakia on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:37 am

Plzen wrote:

Thank you for reminding me that I still have more people in Sumer than I thought, even after the bloody war. That still means that a shit ton of people died during the war.

Either way, post timeskip will have people be more communal wise and they finally realizing, as a people, that their culture and religion have expanded beyond them. Having the first pilgrims coming to newly built ziggurats and people treat their language like a Lingua Franca. This starts to have a shift in the common Sumerian's thinking, like their people are a center of the world. It's the type of thinking that Luther wants because he can use that for future expansion and reforming the culture beyond what the OTL was.

Also I will be building community creche for the new kids. Because throwing money at people to have more kids and making sure their communities help out raising the new generation. Add subsidize education and easy access with apprenticeships and I may have more educated people around.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alaroma » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:44 am

Wait, does he mean me when he says Nubian miners? Now, I have salt mines, which is basically as good as Gold tbf.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:47 am

Alaroma wrote:Wait, does he mean me when he says Nubian miners? Now, I have salt mines, which is basically as good as Gold tbf.

Salt mines? Time to start buying and investing in your businesses.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:00 am

Ralnis wrote:
Alaroma wrote:Wait, does he mean me when he says Nubian miners? Now, I have salt mines, which is basically as good as Gold tbf.

Salt mines? Time to start buying and investing in your businesses.

We will probably be wanting quite a lot of different things in this trade, from the things local miners want, to what the state wants. Though the fact you're the main person we trade salt with besides ourselves, or small Settlments surrounding us probably helps.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:06 am

Alaroma wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Salt mines? Time to start buying and investing in your businesses.

We will probably be wanting quite a lot of different things in this trade, from the things local miners want, to what the state wants. Though the fact you're the main person we trade salt with besides ourselves, or small Settlments surrounding us probably helps.

Sure, Sumerian greed knows no bounds.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:41 am

Ralnis wrote:
Alaroma wrote:We will probably be wanting quite a lot of different things in this trade, from the things local miners want, to what the state wants. Though the fact you're the main person we trade salt with besides ourselves, or small Settlments surrounding us probably helps.

Sure, Sumerian greed knows no bounds.

Good, then we'll allow you to hire a number of miners to mine as much salt as you want. In exchange, you'll pay them, and bring Axum a certain number of things. You're practically getting away with gold, I'm sure it will be no problem.

Though if we want to be technical, Gold is here as well.
Last edited by Alaroma on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nuverkikstan

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:13 am

These are some of the technologies from the Imperium. Many of them are based on industrial processes which Oak can't match. Many of the other players can't either right now. Please allow some leeway so we can develop things. I have been trying for 16 years to develop iron. Some of the other players should develop things like glass.

The Imperium technology is interesting. It adds to the story.

Cork sandals, cork as a resource, glass-- glass beads, glass cups for beer, frosted glass windows, chimneys, iron, wrought iron, steel, brass work, gnarrs, barges, rafts, iron chains, steel cable, saw mills, mills for grain, windmills, paper mills, water wheels, ballistae, incendiary ballistae, crossbows, pulp paper, shigaweave greatcoats ( cloth as tough as metal), repeating crossbows, sanitation, surgery, anatomy, medical quarantine, sewers, shingles, log houses, carpentry, carpentry tools, tools, the Rose Council, the council tower, steel swords, spears, and armor. Fencing equipment. Leather, linen, wool, carriages, wagons, beer, wine (distillation), coal, steam engines, diggers for coal, composting, farming, iron hoes and farm tools, gardening, iron stoves, war horses, clydesdales, and farm horses. Linen, wool, and spinning machines (the spinning jenny from the description). Carpentry and carpentry tools. Paraffin candles. Roman style Aqueducts. warehouses, machinery like flywheels.

There are three reasons why there is so much technology being generated from Oak.

1) There is a large library which collects knowledge. This feeds into the Tower of Learning which is basically an idea factory. This is structured after Edison. Edison set a goal of 1 major breakthroughs every 6 months and 1 minor breakthrough every 10 days. It is an idea factory. The scholars assigned work in teams. They keep notebooks and write everything down which they do. Once the breakthrough is done it goes into production. This could be cultural or technological. I am not edison, so a major breakthrough happens every year (clear glass), a minor breakthrough occurs every 14 days (clay frying pans for example) or a piece of propaganda.

2) There are some scholars broken down by specialty, Naturalist-- biology, natural sciences, medicine Follower of Etana-- Engineering, math, mechanical, etc., Son of Scorylo-- building, architecture, woodworking, etc., Daughter of Penelope-- Herbalism, midwifery, distillation. There are other scholars who work on languages and literature, but I have not gone into all the details.

3) We buy or trade for technology constantly. We are always looking for new things to buy or trade for. We have been to Egypt, Sumer, Crete, the Levant, Nubia, Czechia, and have taken technology from the Kurgan.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Alaroma wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Sure, Sumerian greed knows no bounds.

Good, then we'll allow you to hire a number of miners to mine as much salt as you want. In exchange, you'll pay them, and bring Axum a certain number of things. You're practically getting away with gold, I'm sure it will be no problem.

Though if we want to be technical, Gold is here as well.

There's also coffee and camels that Sumer needs.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Nothing like a good cup of coffee or tea.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:01 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Nothing like a good cup of coffee or tea.

Yeah, I forget if I explicitly wrote it, but Soto drinks acorn coffee to get his hit of bitterness.

IRL I drink tons of coffee, but don't experience withdrawal symptoms, and it doesn't give me energy, I just honestly enjoy black coffee, so i figure the Author should as well.
yee haw it's time for mass line

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:22 pm

Grace has invented the eunuch.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse