NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations ( OOC, Always Open, Reboot )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:49 pm

So I'm thinking my Author gets captured as a slave; and he eventually leads a slave revolt against the ruling tribe, and he and his followers found a city on the coast of Gibraltar. Does that sound feasible?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:50 pm

Reatra wrote:
Plzen wrote:Well, yes, but it’s such an obvious security risk if my primary energy source is imported from overseas. Energy is only slightly less sensitive than food.

Hmm... there’s coal in the Appalachias, I seem to recall? Could be an idea.

No one, not the Imperium, not Icedonia, not the Commonwealth, not me, (except maybe Sumer or Egypt) has the population density and lack of trees to justify using coal over charcoal really anytime soon

Gotta disagree with you there - I have really excellent reasons to use coal instead of charcoal over here. But hey, if you don't know those reasons, you'll figure them out eventually :P
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Also, does coinage exist; or can my author invent it?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:So I'm thinking my Author gets captured as a slave; and he eventually leads a slave revolt against the ruling tribe, and he and his followers found a city on the coast of Gibraltar. Does that sound feasible?

Pound for pound, aye. I'm a bit skeptical, as a Co-Op, of an Author with military experience and who happens to be a professor of antiquities. You'll need to run that past Joohan.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:So I'm thinking my Author gets captured as a slave; and he eventually leads a slave revolt against the ruling tribe, and he and his followers found a city on the coast of Gibraltar. Does that sound feasible?

Pound for pound, aye. I'm a bit skeptical, as a Co-Op, of an Author with military experience and who happens to be a professor of antiquities. You'll need to run that past Joohan.

Oh, I was thinking he'd be more of a Sage-Philosopher-Prophet figure; with the Military leader being someone else...Maybe I'll even give my character, a religious, priestly background; he could be the founder of a religion and rule as an almost Pope-Caliph type of figure; perhaps he tries to bring an ancient form of Christianity to those tribes?
Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Almost sounds word for word like what the guy in Granada is doing :P

Nea Byzantia wrote:Also, does coinage exist; or can my author invent it?

Some have created currency systems, yes.

Alaroma wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:I very much support this idea.

My first one is going to be of Andrew and Edna. For a variety of reasons, they will look like they're out of the late Roman period, which of course doesn't reflect the IC.

Good ol' Rome

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016

Postby Alaroma » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:

That last post has compelled me to make laws, and enforce them violently after the time skip.

And yes, the concept art will be glorious.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:00 pm

Time to pull a pro gamer move, and begin establishment of the "clergy" next post.

That aside, I've been wondering, how do people here view my posts?
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:04 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Granted - and I shouldn't necessarily mention this - but I doubt that coal imports from the Imperium will be overly volatile. Mining is already beginning to be used beyond purely strategic applications in metallurgy, for things like brick kilns and open roasting furnaces. Getting your hands on some anthracite or bituminous coal from the Erzgebirge certainly won't be implausible for the Commonwealth.

This is an even bigger security risk than Icedonian coal, though... if I was going to rely on foreign imports I might as well import British coal.

The Commonwealth’s energy supply should ideally come from its own colonies or, failing that, client states. Of which I intend to establish many.
Last edited by Plzen on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Reading the latest IC posts, I would very seriously doubt the Imperial shipbuilding techniques approach the Commonwealth’s. It’s a field Clara’s refined for years on, after all, while Viktor was working on other things.

I will also be watching what happens in those new settlements of the Imperium carefully, since it’s quite directly relevant to my own range of options up here in the north...
Last edited by Plzen on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kelmet » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Plzen wrote:Reading the latest IC posts, I would very seriously doubt the Imperial shipbuilding techniques approach the Commonwealth’s. It’s a field Clara’s refined for years on, after all, while Viktor was working on other things.

I'm going to have to agree, The Commonwealth would have to develop a ship building industry that could manufacture vessels to stand up to the hard waters of the Baltic and North Sea, With the Imperium having navigable rivers with little need for naval warfare until the Commonwealth war.
Call me Kel
Captain US Army Intelligence

Co-OP and OP Experience

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Plzen wrote:Reading the latest IC posts, I would very seriously doubt the Imperial shipbuilding techniques approach the Commonwealth’s. It’s a field Clara’s refined for years on, after all, while Viktor was working on other things.

I will also be watching what happens in those new settlements of the Imperium carefully, since it’s quite directly relevant to my own range of options up here in the north...

Yknow, that’s what I would have said this morning too. I went into that post planning to mention a technique or two Imperial engineers had gleaned from inspecting captured Northern vessels... and then I actually combed through your writing to see what those techniques might be.

As far as I could find, for all that ships are nominally a big part of Norse culture, the only references I found to their construction techniques were extremely vague, and not at all attributed to Clara’s expertise - which is pretty necessary if they are to be more advanced than a humble longship. Klinker artisan-built longships, constructed individually by settlements would actually, if anything, be substantially less sophisticated vessels than the centrally constructed knaars which roam Imperial waters, primarily by dint of carpentry and superior machine tools.

Unless I missed something, I’m fairly comfortable asserting, technologically speaking, Imperial naval assets are actually ahead of the Commonwealth. They’re built larger and more soundly, at the very least. And have, pound for pound, superior access to navigational aids in the form of fledgling methods of estimating longitude and latitude, which I didn’t see in any of your posts either.

I’d be happy to be corrected if such were the case, of course. Just working off what I saw.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:47 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:-snip-

As I have already said in the OOC thread, I don’t feel compelled to mention every minor or incremental technological advance the Commonwealth makes in IC posts.

I write things that are interesting and fun to write for me, which several years of Clara spending a few hours a week refining ship designs or navigational aids isn’t.

Just because I don’t mention it doesn’t mean improvements aren’t being made.
Last edited by Plzen on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Plzen wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:-snip-

As I have already said in the OOC thread, I don’t feel compelled to mention every minor or incremental technological advance the Commonwealth makes in IC posts.

I write things that are interesting and fun to write for me, which several years of Clara spending a few hours a week refining ship designs or navigational aids isn’t.

Just because I don’t mention it doesn’t mean improvements aren’t being made.

Sure, sure. And I don’t expect giant posts on something you don’t care about. But if you’re going to have Clara, a character with limited nautical/engineering background, be theoretically leading the most nautically advanced faction in our setting...

Perhaps it would behoove you to mention the reasoning for that superiority once? Even twice? Just in passing?

Otherwise it ends up looking a bit silly when “oh yes we definitely have these many and great techniques which have never been brought up before and have a fairly intricate implementation process but definitely exist” occurs.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:22 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Perhaps it would behoove you to mention the reasoning for that superiority once? Even twice? Just in passing?

Otherwise it ends up looking a bit silly when “oh yes we definitely have these many and great techniques which have never been brought up before and have a fairly intricate implementation process but definitely exist” occurs.

Given the career I have in mind for Jórunn, probably after the timeskip.

You’re never going to get a comprehensive essay on Norse shipbuilding techniques, unless I have a dramatic change in expertise and interests. Especially since I don’t have the years of hands-on experience and passive technology exchange with Hibernia and the Imperium that Clara does by now. But a couple innovations mentioned in passing... that could do.

I’ll draft myself a list of few shipbuilding techniques I feel I can introduce (or develop given time) and look them up on the internet to see which ones a RL Viking-era longship didn’t have.
Last edited by Plzen on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:

Oh, I was thinking he'd be more of a Sage-Philosopher-Prophet figure; with the Military leader being someone else...Maybe I'll even give my character, a religious, priestly background; he could be the founder of a religion and rule as an almost Pope-Caliph type of figure; perhaps he tries to bring an ancient form of Christianity to those tribes?

I'd like to see your finished bio before I comment on the rebellion stuff. Most skills can be learned over a period of time, and within reason.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:29 am

Alaroma wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

That last post has compelled me to make laws, and enforce them violently after the time skip.

Which post?
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:35 am

Bortslovakia wrote:

Almost sounds word for word like what the guy in Granada is doing :P

For serious? Then we can definitely team up. Form an ancient version of the Roman Republic with a Byzantine flair; with Slavery out and Feudalism in.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:36 am

Joohan wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Oh, I was thinking he'd be more of a Sage-Philosopher-Prophet figure; with the Military leader being someone else...Maybe I'll even give my character, a religious, priestly background; he could be the founder of a religion and rule as an almost Pope-Caliph type of figure; perhaps he tries to bring an ancient form of Christianity to those tribes?

I'd like to see your finished bio before I comment on the rebellion stuff. Most skills can be learned over a period of time, and within reason.

Sir Yes sir!...I just have some modifications I'd like to make. I'm sort of planning the Author around the Civilization I'd like to build; but within reasonable proximity to myself as a real person; so should be interesting.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:49 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
Alaroma wrote:That last post has compelled me to make laws, and enforce them violently after the time skip.

Which post?

Your last one? More specifically the second section.
-Nuverkikstan

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 am

Alaroma wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:
Which post?

Your last one? More specifically the second section.

You mean the IC post?
Theravada Buddhist

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:26 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
Alaroma wrote:Your last one? More specifically the second section.

You mean the IC post?

Yes, I do.
-Nuverkikstan

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:56 am

Any idea of what Sumer might have traded to local Tigrayans?
-Nuverkikstan

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:03 am

Alaroma wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:
You mean the IC post?

Yes, I do.

Not really sure how one would enforce laws on an absolute monarch. :p
Theravada Buddhist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse