NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations ( OOC, Always Open, Reboot )

For all of your non-Nationstates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
G-Tech Corporation
P2TM RP Mentor
 
Posts: 53750
Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon May 20, 2019 5:29 am

Ah, a German. Fantastique.
TG if you have questions about RP. If I don't know the answer, I know someone who does.

Quite the unofficial fellow. P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs.

User avatar
The Isle of The Webb
Attaché
 
Posts: 79
Founded: Oct 16, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Isle of The Webb » Mon May 20, 2019 5:41 am

Ooh a neighbor, Hallo Fellow Baden-Württemberger. Also hi scary G-Tech.
GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

User avatar
Civilization OP
Envoy
 
Posts: 256
Founded: Feb 17, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby Civilization OP » Mon May 20, 2019 5:50 am

Zapatha wrote:Author Applicaiton

Name: Rudy Pfeiffer
Age: 18
Height and Weight: 6’5, 285lbs.
[/b]Skin, hair, and eye description: Tanned skin due to Sicilian heritage though still quite Caucasian. Light brown and curly hair, amber colored eyes. Keeps a full slightly darker brown beard.
( Optional ) Picture:

Prior Profession: Student in college, road maintenance worker
Level of education ( specify degrees or noteworthy classes ): High school diploma, 1 year of college
Physique description: Broad shoulders, developed arms, broad chest, small gut, large and muscular legs. Basically the look of an offensive lineman in American football.
Useful skills:
-Brown belt with black stripe in Okinawan karate (rank below back belt)
-Great at-home chef, able to make many different types of meals though more comfortable cooking meat
-Experience in physical contact/fighting (from playing rugby, American football, and sparring in karate)


National Origin: United States of America
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: Watching youtube in his room.
Description of personality: Kind hearted, trusting, slow but fiery temper, hard working, patient, stubborn
Where in the world are you landing?: Stuttgart, Germany

Autobiography/Biography ( paragraph minimum ): Born in 2000 in Yonkers, New York, Rudy was raised by two loving parents and also had a younger brother. Rudy is of German, Irish, Sicilian, and Czechoslovakian heritage though his family was American through and through. Rudy’s childhood was a happy one and is where he formed his moral compass. During his adolescence, Rudy was apart of the Boy Scouts for 6 years and learned basic camping skills, among other things. Growing up in New York, Rudy was exposed to many different cultures and religions where he learned to appreciate each of them but still hold strong to his own. In highschool, Rudy played American football and rugby and was good at both, being named team captain in football. He also excelled in the classroom, and soon enough attended a private college about 15 minutes away from his home. The college semester had just ended and Rudy was working in a road maintenance job, when one night Rudy fell asleep and found himself in a totally different world…….


( Optional on down)
What are your intentions for this RP, what's the long term goal?: To have fun with the character, and for the character eventually find a way back home.
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?: My character is mostly me irl, and I’d be taking inspiration from early medieval to early Renaissance Germany as well as some American influences.
Why did you chose to land where you did?: Stuttgart is in the general region where my family is from, so yeah. Also Germany seems like a good enough place to start as it’s in central Europe and close to some other characters.
What vibe should we get from your civilization and it's culture?: A mix of Germanic/American vibes, being somewhat martial but not conquerors. The character might also make a version of Christianity, though idk yet.
What are your character's motivations?: To find out what happened to him, and if possible find a way back home.
Theme Song?:
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?: This looked like a cool RP, and the interactions between my character and the ancient peoples should be interesting


Accepted

User avatar
Joohan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1667
Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Joohan » Mon May 20, 2019 6:02 am

gonna be kicking off my war of succession in the Westerlands here soon. I intend on using the opportunity to show the capabilities and fighting style of the Army in an actual war situation. Keep your medieval levy armies - i'll be using small professional units implementing Retsev.
Last edited by Joohan on Mon May 20, 2019 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
G-Tech Corporation
P2TM RP Mentor
 
Posts: 53750
Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon May 20, 2019 6:06 am

The Isle of The Webb wrote:Ooh a neighbor, Hallo Fellow Baden-Württemberger. Also hi scary G-Tech.


Ah, you're near Stuttgart? Fancy some trade up the Danube?
TG if you have questions about RP. If I don't know the answer, I know someone who does.

Quite the unofficial fellow. P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs.

User avatar
The Isle of The Webb
Attaché
 
Posts: 79
Founded: Oct 16, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Isle of The Webb » Mon May 20, 2019 6:38 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
The Isle of The Webb wrote:Ooh a neighbor, Hallo Fellow Baden-Württemberger. Also hi scary G-Tech.


Ah, you're near Stuttgart? Fancy some trade up the Danube?

Well as much as I'd like to I'm closer to Zürich than Stuttgart, and there's the black forest currently in the way to me reaching the Danube. Now that's not to say that if for reson a trader decided to travel all the way to the source of the Danube it wouldn't encounter if not my traders, as they mostly use the Rhine river system, then the products I've introduced to my area glazed pots, glassware, simple musical instruments.
*Edit: For clarity, I should probably update my app to say this, my franken village is where modern day Badenweiler is.
Last edited by The Isle of The Webb on Mon May 20, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

User avatar
Plzen
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6384
Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Plzen » Mon May 20, 2019 9:37 am

IC post up!

A suddenly expanded food supply and a population that hasn't caught up yet means spare time to waste in silly ways, like getting educated.

EDIT: I also can't be bothered to come up with dozens and dozens of fictional town names, and I like having the familiarity of RL location-names, so those are what you get. :p
Last edited by Plzen on Mon May 20, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forward, my comrades, march to your stations,
Righteous and proud! Win, we most surely can.
This is a triumph of peace and of nations,
A dawn of friendship for all people of man!

User avatar
UniversalCommons
Minister
 
Posts: 2328
Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby UniversalCommons » Mon May 20, 2019 1:40 pm

The bicycle. A wooden bicycle would be an interesting invention something similar to a foot pedal machine. Foot pedals were used on looms to raise the threads about 3000 b.c. I would think it would be a fortunate accident after looking at a foot pedal on a loom and a spinning potters wheel, we would get the basis for the bicycle. A wooden wheel in back, a small wheel in the middle with a linen braid instead of a chain attached to another wheel. The small wheel then large wheel attached by a linene braided rope or rawhide braided loop initially would allow human powered machinery-- a foot powered lathe, a foot powered grindstone, an improved spindle. There is a lot than can be done with treadles or bicycles. We might even make tricycles before bicycles.

Also alccohol burning equipment as an extension of the still.

I am not sure that I would get the idea for a treadle water pump which is simpler than a Noria in small ways. It is smaller. A pump based on a stair stepper.

Another major invention might be the a balloon, the Condor 1 from South America which could be made out of linen and thread. A reed boat gondola and a brazier with smoke was used. The Nazca Hot Air Balloon.
https://www.nott.com/nazca/

Also, there could be interesting materials to find, rocks that stick together would make the first compass, volcanic ash and obsidian to be used in various things from Crete.

User avatar
Formerland
Envoy
 
Posts: 325
Founded: Nov 16, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Formerland » Mon May 20, 2019 3:19 pm

Gone for a while but I am back, got super busy with impromptu hiking. Have I been killed or reconnected to not exist already? I notice I am not on the map.

User avatar
Joohan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1667
Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Joohan » Mon May 20, 2019 3:21 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:The bicycle. A wooden bicycle would be an interesting invention something similar to a foot pedal machine. Foot pedals were used on looms to raise the threads about 3000 b.c. I would think it would be a fortunate accident after looking at a foot pedal on a loom and a spinning potters wheel, we would get the basis for the bicycle. A wooden wheel in back, a small wheel in the middle with a linen braid instead of a chain attached to another wheel. The small wheel then large wheel attached by a linene braided rope or rawhide braided loop initially would allow human powered machinery-- a foot powered lathe, a foot powered grindstone, an improved spindle. There is a lot than can be done with treadles or bicycles. We might even make tricycles before bicycles.

Also alccohol burning equipment as an extension of the still.

I am not sure that I would get the idea for a treadle water pump which is simpler than a Noria in small ways. It is smaller. A pump based on a stair stepper.

Another major invention might be the a balloon, the Condor 1 from South America which could be made out of linen and thread. A reed boat gondola and a brazier with smoke was used. The Nazca Hot Air Balloon.
https://www.nott.com/nazca/

Also, there could be interesting materials to find, rocks that stick together would make the first compass, volcanic ash and obsidian to be used in various things from Crete.


Linen being used in the place of a bike chain seems needlessly dangerous. Plus, your entire country is hilly.

And what purpose would you have for a hot air ballon?

User avatar
Joohan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1667
Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Joohan » Mon May 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Formerland wrote:Gone for a while but I am back, got super busy with impromptu hiking. Have I been killed or reconnected to not exist already? I notice I am not on the map.


I am waiting for your first post before I place you done.

User avatar
G-Tech Corporation
P2TM RP Mentor
 
Posts: 53750
Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon May 20, 2019 3:25 pm

Joohan wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:The bicycle. A wooden bicycle would be an interesting invention something similar to a foot pedal machine. Foot pedals were used on looms to raise the threads about 3000 b.c. I would think it would be a fortunate accident after looking at a foot pedal on a loom and a spinning potters wheel, we would get the basis for the bicycle. A wooden wheel in back, a small wheel in the middle with a linen braid instead of a chain attached to another wheel. The small wheel then large wheel attached by a linene braided rope or rawhide braided loop initially would allow human powered machinery-- a foot powered lathe, a foot powered grindstone, an improved spindle. There is a lot than can be done with treadles or bicycles. We might even make tricycles before bicycles.

Also alccohol burning equipment as an extension of the still.

I am not sure that I would get the idea for a treadle water pump which is simpler than a Noria in small ways. It is smaller. A pump based on a stair stepper.

Another major invention might be the a balloon, the Condor 1 from South America which could be made out of linen and thread. A reed boat gondola and a brazier with smoke was used. The Nazca Hot Air Balloon.
https://www.nott.com/nazca/

Also, there could be interesting materials to find, rocks that stick together would make the first compass, volcanic ash and obsidian to be used in various things from Crete.


Linen being used in the place of a bike chain seems needlessly dangerous. Plus, your entire country is hilly.

And what purpose would you have for a hot air ballon?


A hot air balloon wouldn’t be terrible for scouting, and establishing enemy movements just before an engagement. Or when using artillery, to assess damage to fortifications.

Really, though, you’ll want optics first.
TG if you have questions about RP. If I don't know the answer, I know someone who does.

Quite the unofficial fellow. P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs.

User avatar
Formerland
Envoy
 
Posts: 325
Founded: Nov 16, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Formerland » Mon May 20, 2019 3:26 pm

Joohan wrote:
Formerland wrote:Gone for a while but I am back, got super busy with impromptu hiking. Have I been killed or reconnected to not exist already? I notice I am not on the map.


I am waiting for your first post before I place you done.

I made a post before I left actually. Tried out a couple different writing styles ( I never write in the first person as a fictional character that is also me so I still need to find my groove). TLDR I was setting myself up for a position as healer/spiritualist/educator in the local community and endearing myself to powerful local kin groups.

User avatar
Reatra
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15916
Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reatra » Mon May 20, 2019 3:28 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:The bicycle. A wooden bicycle would be an interesting invention something similar to a foot pedal machine. Foot pedals were used on looms to raise the threads about 3000 b.c. I would think it would be a fortunate accident after looking at a foot pedal on a loom and a spinning potters wheel, we would get the basis for the bicycle. A wooden wheel in back, a small wheel in the middle with a linen braid instead of a chain attached to another wheel. The small wheel then large wheel attached by a linene braided rope or rawhide braided loop initially would allow human powered machinery-- a foot powered lathe, a foot powered grindstone, an improved spindle. There is a lot than can be done with treadles or bicycles. We might even make tricycles before bicycles.

Also alccohol burning equipment as an extension of the still.

I am not sure that I would get the idea for a treadle water pump which is simpler than a Noria in small ways. It is smaller. A pump based on a stair stepper.

Another major invention might be the a balloon, the Condor 1 from South America which could be made out of linen and thread. A reed boat gondola and a brazier with smoke was used. The Nazca Hot Air Balloon.
https://www.nott.com/nazca/

Also, there could be interesting materials to find, rocks that stick together would make the first compass, volcanic ash and obsidian to be used in various things from Crete.


You can make wooden chains, but it'd probably be better to just skip the chain and have foot pedals directly power wheels. You can't make any gears to boost your power, sure, but it's something.

Really I imagine something like a chukudu would be best.
yee haw it's time for mass line

User avatar
Joohan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1667
Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Joohan » Mon May 20, 2019 3:54 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Joohan wrote:
Linen being used in the place of a bike chain seems needlessly dangerous. Plus, your entire country is hilly.

And what purpose would you have for a hot air ballon?


A hot air balloon wouldn’t be terrible for scouting, and establishing enemy movements just before an engagement. Or when using artillery, to assess damage to fortifications.

Really, though, you’ll want optics first.


He's not much for militarism though

User avatar
Joohan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1667
Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Joohan » Mon May 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Formerland wrote:
Joohan wrote:
I am waiting for your first post before I place you done.

I made a post before I left actually. Tried out a couple different writing styles ( I never write in the first person as a fictional character that is also me so I still need to find my groove). TLDR I was setting myself up for a position as healer/spiritualist/educator in the local community and endearing myself to powerful local kin groups.


Oh, my bad. I'll put you up once I'm off work

User avatar
The Isle of The Webb
Attaché
 
Posts: 79
Founded: Oct 16, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Isle of The Webb » Mon May 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Joohan wrote:
Formerland wrote:I made a post before I left actually. Tried out a couple different writing styles ( I never write in the first person as a fictional character that is also me so I still need to find my groove). TLDR I was setting myself up for a position as healer/spiritualist/educator in the local community and endearing myself to powerful local kin groups.


Oh, my bad. I'll put you up once I'm off work

Can i be put on the map as well? I have and actual location other than "The Entire Black Forest" now. Badenweiler. i also have a small nation but that's not important or large enough to be mapped.
GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

User avatar
G-Tech Corporation
P2TM RP Mentor
 
Posts: 53750
Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon May 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Joohan wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
A hot air balloon wouldn’t be terrible for scouting, and establishing enemy movements just before an engagement. Or when using artillery, to assess damage to fortifications.

Really, though, you’ll want optics first.


He's not much for militarism though


Well, a hot air balloon would still be excellent for surveying and urban planning.
TG if you have questions about RP. If I don't know the answer, I know someone who does.

Quite the unofficial fellow. P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs.

User avatar
Joohan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1667
Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Joohan » Mon May 20, 2019 4:38 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Joohan wrote:
He's not much for militarism though


Well, a hot air balloon would still be excellent for surveying and urban planning.


I suppose. But until populations really start explodin , most surveying will be to a rather limited scale.

User avatar
Reatra
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15916
Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reatra » Mon May 20, 2019 4:49 pm

Joohan wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Well, a hot air balloon would still be excellent for surveying and urban planning.


I suppose. But until populations really start explodin , most surveying will be to a rather limited scale.


Yeah you're better off being in a place you know a bunch about ;)
yee haw it's time for mass line

User avatar
Reatra
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15916
Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reatra » Mon May 20, 2019 5:43 pm

What's cool is that the Pacific Northwest and Jomon Period Japan had roughly similar population densities (meaning, very high for hunter-gatherers), and California further south was significantly moreso but in a similar "high-density hunter-gatherer" position.

Meaning Hanafuridake and I's positions when it comes to developing economies might be roughly similar, except I won't have convenient rice agriculture practically nextdoor to exploit, but would have better New World crops that are.... not quite next door but in the long-run may be more beneficial.


Also, it's gonna be great fun to establish pan-North Pacific trade routes. There was definitely Jomon-PNW contact, but it was sporadic and not involving trade.
yee haw it's time for mass line

User avatar
UniversalCommons
Minister
 
Posts: 2328
Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby UniversalCommons » Mon May 20, 2019 6:06 pm

The point of the bicycle is not transportation-- it is to have a foot pedal which can power a lathe or turn a wheel to move water. Before electricity and steam, the foot pedal or bicycle is one of the most efficient forms of generating power for machinery. Basically, you make lathes more efficient, grindstones more efficient, threshers and other machines more efficient. There is no electricity or steam at this point. Bicycles can generate more muscle power than humans working by themselves. Camels and horses are more efficient than bicycles in some ways for transportation. The camel was domesticated at around 3000 b.c.
I would have no idea how to build a steam engine or generate electricity. I could imaging a water wheel or wind mill. With some help I think I might be able to build a machine to spin a lathe based on pedals, or spin a spindle, or grindstone.
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/05 ... hines.html
I have been reading the madness of low tech magazine.
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/05 ... ories.html
I am thinking of a belt driven machine, not a metal machine necessarily. It could be a leather belt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt-driven_bicycle
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Mon May 20, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Joohan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1667
Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Joohan » Mon May 20, 2019 6:28 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:The point of the bicycle is not transportation-- it is to have a foot pedal which can power a lathe or turn a wheel to move water. Before electricity and steam, the foot pedal or bicycle is one of the most efficient forms of generating power for machinery. Basically, you make lathes more efficient, grindstones more efficient, threshers and other machines more efficient. There is no electricity or steam at this point. Bicycles can generate more muscle power than humans working by themselves. Camels and horses are more efficient than bicycles in some ways for transportation. The camel was domesticated at around 3000 b.c.
I would have no idea how to build a steam engine or generate electricity. I could imaging a water wheel or wind mill. With some help I think I might be able to build a machine to spin a lathe based on pedals, or spin a spindle, or grindstone.
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/05 ... hines.html
I have been reading the madness of low tech magazine.
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/05 ... ories.html
I am thinking of a belt driven machine, not a metal machine necessarily. It could be a leather belt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt-driven_bicycle


Why even bring up the bicycle then? Why not just the pedal?

User avatar
Joohan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1667
Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Joohan » Mon May 20, 2019 6:31 pm

Reatra wrote:What's cool is that the Pacific Northwest and Jomon Period Japan had roughly similar population densities (meaning, very high for hunter-gatherers), and California further south was significantly moreso but in a similar "high-density hunter-gatherer" position.

Meaning Hanafuridake and I's positions when it comes to developing economies might be roughly similar, except I won't have convenient rice agriculture practically nextdoor to exploit, but would have better New World crops that are.... not quite next door but in the long-run may be more beneficial.


Also, it's gonna be great fun to establish pan-North Pacific trade routes. There was definitely Jomon-PNW contact, but it was sporadic and not involving trade.


It seems like Japan's population at the time hada much higher density than your section of the west coast.

User avatar
Hanafuridake
Minister
 
Posts: 2227
Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon May 20, 2019 6:38 pm

I'm moving at a snail's pace, but figured that this was a good character moment.
Time traveling Heian princess trapped in the 21st century
Dogen wrote:Grasses and trees, fences and walls demonstrate and exalt the dharma for the sake of living beings, both ordinary and sage; in turn, living beings, both ordinary and sage, express and unfold it for the sake of grasses and trees, fences and walls.
If you love GOT, please consider supporting these charities.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A Paradise for Few, Alozia, Pac Kindom, The Grim Reaper

Advertisement

Remove ads