NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations ( OOC, Always Open, Reboot )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sat May 18, 2019 4:52 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

Actually, next post is just going to be internal politicking :P

Of the struggling kind :meh:

Imperial strug bus, all aboard :meh: ?

Edit: Cho Cho?
Last edited by Joohan on Sat May 18, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sat May 18, 2019 7:43 pm

I really hate to just drop the WIP - but I've gotta go chill with my friend, and I didn't just want to cop out with a sub par post. Just dropped it there to finish later, and to perhaps give a flavor for the events about to happen.
Last edited by Joohan on Sat May 18, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sat May 18, 2019 7:51 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:

yee haw it's time for mass line

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat May 18, 2019 8:03 pm

Now I regret not going to somewhere else and building a civilization from scratch and invade Mesopotamia instead of trying to manipulate through its political system.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sat May 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Ralnis wrote:Now I regret not going to somewhere else and building a civilization from scratch and invade Mesopotamia instead of trying to manipulate through its political system.

Nah that’s smart of you. Way less work to do. It’s just most of the others are being a teensy but unrealistic with the rapidity of political rise.
Last edited by Reatra on Sat May 18, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat May 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Running into technical barriers. Want to build Noria undershot water wheel, but it is a little bit beyond my technical skills. With this I could claim the 8th Century AD Arabic Agricultural Revolution...

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sat May 18, 2019 8:46 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Running into technical barriers. Want to build Noria undershot water wheel, but it is a little bit beyond my technical skills. With this I could claim the 8th Century AD Arabic Agricultural Revolution...

Machinery like that is only worthwhile if you’ve got a pretty developed agricultural system already where diminishing returns is starting to show. The only places irl with that in 3000 BCE are Sumer and Egypt, and even then they’d benefit much more from mass produced metal than noria

A decade isn’t really enough for that

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sat May 18, 2019 11:43 pm

Ah ive got soo many good ideas for agriculture! We’ve got almost a blank slate due to the fact that really a few years of dedicated selective breeding of promising wild plants will prolly produce cultivars as good as anything of this era.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun May 19, 2019 12:22 am

Reatra wrote:Ah ive got soo many good ideas for agriculture! We’ve got almost a blank slate due to the fact that really a few years of dedicated selective breeding of promising wild plants will prolly produce cultivars as good as anything of this era.

Are you a geneticist and or skilled farmer? If not, it's gonna take you a hot minute to really get good at this whole selective breeding thing.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sun May 19, 2019 12:34 am

Joohan wrote:
Reatra wrote:Ah ive got soo many good ideas for agriculture! We’ve got almost a blank slate due to the fact that really a few years of dedicated selective breeding of promising wild plants will prolly produce cultivars as good as anything of this era.

Are you a geneticist and or skilled farmer? If not, it's gonna take you a hot minute to really get good at this whole selective breeding thing.

Genetics are actually not really as useful for selective breeding, this is more "classic" stuff rather than modern specific targeting of genes, more Mendelian. It basically goes "plant several hundred seeds, have them grow, record/notice, collect pollen/seeds/whatever reproductive thing they produce from the top fifty or so, and repeat".

But, yes, I do have a pretty mediocre understanding of genetics and biology, especially in regards to plants as that's what i spend much of my time research lol, as well as a bit of a green thumb, and have begun to do similar gardens-intended-to-be-laboratories-for-better-strains irl

it's real fun, and this RP, considering it's in 3000 BCE, can allow for agriculture to take a completely different turn from irl.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun May 19, 2019 10:53 am

This is the same thing with iron. Iron could not be made unless you knew the ingredients. The key to making iron is limestone which melts the metal surrounding the iron which Victor Spear would know nothing about. The same thing would be for a water wheel. He is an intellectual, he might think he knows how to build a water wheel, but would not be able to do it even remotely in the practical sense.

You have Mendelian genetics which can be taught fairly easily. Basically 7 years of selective breeding for traits, enough to improve the basic foodstuffs. You build a plow with a copper blade which is an improvement as well as a basic copper funnel. This increases your yields considerably.

You know something about gardening, so you make gardens with raised beds. This is an intensive form of gardening allowing for high density planting. You build trellises for plants and plant different groups of plants-- herbs, flowers, spices, vegetables, fruit, plants that could be textiles (flax, hemp.) You also can make a straw bale garden.

In addition, you make clay pots so people can grow herbs or plants inside. Clay pots also allow you to move plants from the forest to other locations.
Then you do basic crop rotation. One field for the animals with clover which is nitrogen fixing, one field with agricultural products. You do intercropping to increase the density of crops. You plant flowers like chrysanthemum or other local crops that help keep away insects.

You plant trees. Then you plant companion plants in the groves.

You lay down grasses, shrubs and small trees to prevent erosion around the rivers.

You do agroforestry, basically you seed the forest with specific plants that you can pick each year. You might use seedballs for this which are a mixture of clay seeds, and manure. There are a few others that you can do with clay that are appropriate technology, double pot refrigerators, willow or bamboo storage bins coated with clay and lined with herbs or plants that repel insects. Seedballs were originally Egyptian technology. The olla which is an unpainted clay pot which can be used for small scale irrigation.

You set aside some land which lies fallow and is used for hunting deer and other animals.

There are four places to get food and plant products, your garden, the forest, the sea, and the fields.

You get help with irrigation from an Egyptian like Sennefer, maybe you get help from a Sumerian farmer who knows something about irrigation. You make a bigger plow when you have draft animals like oxen about 5 years in development something with deeper furrows.

You make a basic grindstone for grains which you can attach an ox to. You have the ox trod the grain.

You introduce a few basic gardening tools. There were no spades at the time to turn earth. There is also the hoe for breaking ground and the mallet for breaking sod. Many of the basic gardening tools are not there, the two tine pitchfork, etc.

You improve manure with peat, gathered worms, bird poop from pigeons (guano)-- a pigeon tower. You do the humanure process where all of the collected material is first heated up in compost piles to kill the germs, then sealed in jars for a year-- this kills the pathogens at a central processing site. You add charcoal to make the smell less offensive and switch out the collection buckets on a regular basis. It is a two jar system, one for urine one for poop. Urine is an industrial product.

You add fish ponds. Then collect the silt from the ponds. Also, silt from the river.

You build basic boats. A dugout canoe is basically a tree with center burned out of it or a reed boat and you go fishing. People had fishing villages before they had agriculture. The sea allows for enough of a concentration of food to build a village. When you have the sea not far away as well as the river you have an abundance which allows for lots of people-- a metropolis. https://vancouversun.com/news/local-new ... heologists There was a shift first from hunting then to fishing to agriculture. The combination of fishing plus agriculture creates surplus.

You seek out new crops and agricultural knowledge by talking to farmers and writing about it introducing the basic concept of studying plants and animals.

You create windbreaks for the fields to prevent loss of soil with lines of trees.

You capture pigeons and domesticate them. You buy ducks and geese from Mesopotamian farmers. You already have goats, possibly even angora goats, sheep, cattle-- which can be either oxen, milk animals, or meat animals. You have pigs which if you are an Egyptian would be considered unclean. You have dogs for war, guarding your livestock, and pest control-- hunting rats and other vermin. Also, you would probably find cats as well if you are in Greece or Egypt to help with vermin. You can also catch rabbits for domestication.

You sink wells for water and maybe you build a shaduf which allows you to move the water from the river to the fields which is an Egyptian invention. If you are looking for these things you will find them. You would have to hire skilled farmers from Mesopotamia or Egypt to do some of these things.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sun May 19, 2019 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sun May 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Yeah there's a lot to do in regards to agriculture that isn't like, "I have lived as a farmer for generations", level of knowledge.

I was thinking of developing perennial crops and forest gardens for good abundant food sources with low labor requirement, meaning more people involved in other things in society (which, in the pre-green revolution era, is suuuuuuper revolutionary). And then some high-intensity chinampas and other really productive and fertile projects for exploiting naturally fertile areas like wetlands and such.

Achidyemay
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Achidyemay » Sun May 19, 2019 6:44 pm

Was watching a sport, can I reserve Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes as a war chant? :p
Dear Sir: Regarding your article 'What's Wrong with the World?' I am.
Yours truly,
G.K. Chesterton

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun May 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Speaking about iron so much. I may need to send an expedition to Elam and see if I can secure a good source of the stuff from their mountains to start investing in the smelting and smithing of the stuff. It would take years to be able to see any investment an it isn't really on my list as the city already is building a small naval oar fleet on the Gulf and domesticating both Horses and Donkeys.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Sun May 19, 2019 9:34 pm

It looks like Crimea doesn’t have a large source of iron, most of it is in the Far East of the peninsula. I may be slowed in that area.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun May 19, 2019 9:37 pm

Cainesland wrote:It looks like Crimea doesn’t have a large source of iron, most of it is in the Far East of the peninsula. I may be slowed in that area.

You want to trade with Ur? Apparently it's a trade hub between Troy, the Kingdoms of Egypt, Elam and the rest of Iran.

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Sun May 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Ralnis wrote:
Cainesland wrote:It looks like Crimea doesn’t have a large source of iron, most of it is in the Far East of the peninsula. I may be slowed in that area.

You want to trade with Ur? Apparently it's a trade hub between Troy, the Kingdoms of Egypt, Elam and the rest of Iran.

That could be good. We just developed coastal ships that can make it 1-2 weeks between refills. Perhaps later in the IC when the carpentry association grows and trade range grows it could be good to try to access further away markets.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun May 19, 2019 9:45 pm

Cainesland wrote:
Ralnis wrote:You want to trade with Ur? Apparently it's a trade hub between Troy, the Kingdoms of Egypt, Elam and the rest of Iran.

That could be good. We just developed coastal ships that can make it 1-2 weeks between refills. Perhaps later in the IC when the carpentry association grows and trade range grows it could be good to try to access further away markets.

By then I should finally be under control of Ur and start consolidating power and start uniting Sumeria.

Oh, and I meant Mesopotamia and not Iran. For Iran, it's only extended to Elam. Ur and Uruk do compete for influence and trade but Ur has the powerful long-range trade that allows them to start rapidly develop technology in some places, like make a navy on the Gulf.
Last edited by Ralnis on Sun May 19, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zapatha
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zapatha » Sun May 19, 2019 9:53 pm

I see that this RP is already well established but are you guys still accepting new apps?

EDIT: Now I feel stupid for not reading "Always Open".
Last edited by Zapatha on Sun May 19, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun May 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Aight, fully completed my last post. Kind of set up Haston, Midir, and Teaghan and re occurring characters in the future. Teaghan will be amply important for quite some time.

Wanted to drop a small section on Issac training with his newly established cavalry platoon ( 5 strong ) - but I figure that can wait for another day.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun May 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Zapatha wrote:I see that this RP is already well established but are you guys still accepting new apps?

EDIT: Now I feel stupid for not reading "Always Open".

Yes.

The world is still overwhelmingly undeveloped - meaning that there is ample free room. It's only been 10 years since the first arrivals, so Author civ's are only just in their infancy.

We are absolutely open.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun May 19, 2019 10:17 pm

Achidyemay wrote:Was watching a sport, can I reserve Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes as a war chant? :p

sure.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon May 20, 2019 12:11 am

Not going to lie, I keep getting Victor and Viktor confused in my head.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 am

Hanafuridake wrote:Not going to lie, I keep getting Victor and Viktor confused in my head.

same, I'm used to reading G-Tech's posts on this RP for years now (and got hella weirded out when I first started reading his on this IC until I realized they were copied and pasted)

Zapatha
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zapatha » Mon May 20, 2019 2:26 am

Author Applicaiton

Name: Rudy Pfeiffer
Height and Weight: 6’5, 285lbs.
[/b]Skin, hair, and eye description: Tanned skin due to Sicilian heritage though still quite Caucasian. Light brown and curly hair, amber colored eyes. Keeps a full slightly darker brown beard.
( Optional ) Picture:

Prior Profession: Student in college, road maintenance worker
Level of education ( specify degrees or noteworthy classes ): High school diploma, 1 year of college
Physique description: Broad shoulders, developed arms, broad chest, small gut, large and muscular legs. Basically the look of an offensive lineman in American football.
Useful skills:
-Brown belt with black stripe in Okinawan karate (rank below back belt)
-Great at-home chef, able to make many different types of meals though more comfortable cooking meat
-Experience in physical contact/fighting (from playing rugby, American football, and sparring in karate)

National Origin: United States of America
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: Watching youtube in his room.
Description of personality: Kind hearted, trusting, slow but fiery temper, hard working, patient, stubborn
Where in the world are you landing?: Stuttgart, Germany

Autobiography/Biography ( paragraph minimum ): Born in 2000 in Yonkers, New York, Rudy was raised by two loving parents and also had a younger brother. Rudy is of German, Irish, Sicilian, and Czechoslovakian heritage though his family was American through and through. Rudy’s childhood was a happy one and is where he formed his moral compass. During his adolescence, Rudy was apart of the Boy Scouts for 6 years and learned basic camping skills, among other things. Growing up in New York, Rudy was exposed to many different cultures and religions where he learned to appreciate each of them but still hold strong to his own. In highschool, Rudy played American football and rugby and was good at both, being named team captain in football. He also excelled in the classroom, and soon enough attended a private college about 15 minutes away from his home. The college semester had just ended and Rudy was working in a road maintenance job, when one night Rudy fell asleep and found himself in a totally different world…….

( Optional on down)
What are your intentions for this RP, what's the long term goal?: To have fun with the character, and for the character eventually find a way back home.
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?: My character is mostly me irl, and I’d be taking inspiration from early medieval to early Renaissance Germany as well as some American influences.
Why did you chose to land where you did?: Stuttgart is in the general region where my family is from, so yeah. Also Germany seems like a good enough place to start as it’s in central Europe and close to some other characters.
What vibe should we get from your civilization and it's culture?: A mix of Germanic/American vibes, being somewhat martial but not conquerors. The character might also make a version of Christianity, though idk yet.
What are your character's motivations?: To find out what happened to him, and if possible find a way back home.
Theme Song?:
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?: This looked like a cool RP, and the interactions between my character and the ancient peoples should be interesting

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse