NATION

PASSWORD

Marked Ones: Origins [Urban Fantasy Hero RPG | OOC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:03 pm

New Neros wrote:Interested, thinking of utilizing some lightning magic, but I'll start brainstorming up a character.

Do It

UNLIMITED POWAAA
Lover of doggos

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Forest.... Starting something up again eh?
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian
Charlia wrote:Faal Lot Himdah - A wizard. Possibly evil. Seen associating with Charlia, who baas at him a lot when he doesn't feed her enough. #BlameVoid

Kuhlfros wrote:Fall Lot Himdah=Alakazam (May or May not have to do with Merlin)

Spindle wrote:I swear, you two are pretty much the font of all evil in this world...

Spindle wrote:Aaaaaand, the font of all sass.

New Neros
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Neros » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:16 pm

CAIN TRINIDAD LOPEZ

"I never thought I could make it as a mage. Too much to learn and memorize. I trained my body instead."

VITALS

Name: Cain Lopez
Nickname: Cain
Appearance:

Build: Athletic, 6'0, 185lbs, 8% body fat
Faction: Marked
Skill Classification: 5
Symbol Description: A deep, pitch black omega symbol (Ω) on the right hand. The symbol glows and shines a brilliant gold radiance when he uses magic, leaving a slight glittering trail behind it as he moves.

Magical School: Traditional
Magical Abilities: Shatter: Originally in the lower skill classes, Cain was not an adept magic user and as such did not have the time to develop or utilize unique and personal magic abilities beyond the basic skills taught in primary school. Once he became Marked, however, Cain was able to see and perceive fault lines on various objects in his room, each one connecting to another and spreading like a spider-web, and he was also able to feel and manipulate the mana within him to a greater degree. Like any normal experimenting young adult, Cain pressed his own mana into a fault line and watched as a coffee mug shattered before him, finding his ability to shatter apart objects. He's able to see these fault points in objects and people, but has not used the ability on a person yet, fearful of complete dismemberment by mistake. These points appear like broken glass to Cain's eyes, with long cracks or strings connecting objects to people.

Weaknesses: In order to shatter objects, Cain must be in physical contact with them, he cannot preform this feat from afar as of yet. Also, the size and mass of an object being shattered is taken into account, as the larger objects require more mana and each shatter acts a drain on his reserve. He's not a very skilled magic user, and is most likely behind his peers when it comes to magical knowledge, use, and application. Cain is in need of training and guidance to better perfect his newfound skill and magic ability.

Equipment: Disregarding his clothing, Cain often carries a six-shot Smith & Wesson revolver and an assortment of Bowie knives, which he uses either as throwing knives or for personal protection. He's trained to throw knives exceptionally well, and is relatively average with a pistol owing to his military training.

DETAILS

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Nationality: Mexican-American
Hometown: San Diego, California
Sexuality: Bisexual

Personality: Funny, often sarcastic, and at times serious, Cain is easy to approach and open to conversations with complete strangers. Despite that, he doesn't like to talk much about himself and prefers to discuss the happenings of other people, wanting to guard his own secrecy. He is quick to anger and vicious when mad, but those times are few and far between. What sets him off are insults to himself, friends, and family mostly, most other things are minor annoyances but he takes honor and respect very seriously. He is protective of those he cares for, and is willing to lend a helping hand for a friend in need at a moments notice.
Biography: Born in San Diego, Cain is the child of Mexican migrant workers from Tijuana, Mexico, the second child in a family of five. Things were not easy growing up, he was often tasked with helping find food and clothes for his younger siblings or going without to let them get on while their parents went to work for weeks at a time. His parents were strict and harsh when they were around, but very demanding in their push for education and betterment. As Cain grew into a teenager, he and his older brother Carlos became protectors of his family, as the slummish conditions and rough neighborhood they lived in became apparent. Both sought protection by different means, Carlos joined a street gang operating in their neighborhood, while Cain joined mixed martial arts gyms and picked up a knife throwing class along the way.

Their different paths to the same goal put them at odds, but their brotherly love often prevailed over their petty differences. Cain started to become a local champion in his gym, while Carlos became a shot-caller for his set, both brothers finding a way to balance their home life, school life, and distractions somewhat. In his senior year of high school, Cain received grave news, however, and that was his brother Carlos was killed in a gang-related shootout. His life was flipped upside down by the events of that day, his brother had a kid on the way, and Cain would never see Carlos' goofy grin as he walked through the doorway. At seventeen, he wanted to drop out and go find the bastards who took his brother away, but his parents forced him to stay in school, and the added weight of explaining why Carlos wasn't coming home to his siblings grounded him in reality.

The summer he graduated, Cain's parents wanted to move and live in Tijuana, but Cain had other plans, seeing that his family would be safer away from San Diego and the place they would be staying wasn't as horrible as the one they currently lived in, Cain opted to leave home entirely, and join the Marines without telling his parents or family, forging their consent to enlist at 17. He was committed to two years of service and trained heavily, wanting to become a hardened warrior, and letting his brothers' death fuel his primal drive to succeed. He aimed to become special operations and wanted assignment to the Raider Regiment, and though he passed the screening and received training, he was deemed unfit to serve in the unit after an altercation with another Marine that led to a fist-fight.

Distraught, Cain was discharged from the military and looked into finding work as a Private Military Contractor, finding some minor success there as he traveled abroad and served the almighty dollar instead of Uncle Sam. Securing enough money to retire for just a few months, Cain returned to San Diego and began to relax, finding some peace after his brothers' passing in the private wars he waged. He was just about to call up his old company and beg for his job back when a mysterious sigil appeared on his hand, leading him into an entirely different life as a magician.

#MarkedApp
Looking for a good time? Horizon Academy is the place to be! | Do Forum Mods dream of sexual DEAT?
Reploid Productions wrote:I have had to read a lot of erotic RP telegrams in the past four months and it does all start to run together into one giant mass of penises, vaginas, breasts, tentacles, dildos, bodily fluids and so on.

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 pm

I need help understanding what separates the magic abilities we have from the usual superpowers from before
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:16 am

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:Forest.... Starting something up again eh?

Yep. Featuring a bit more lore and worldbuilding than my past things.

Well. "A bit."

New Neros wrote:snip

Looks good, accepted.
Union Princes wrote:I need help understanding what separates the magic abilities we have from the usual superpowers from before

The main differences are that magic is based on a finite mana supply, which increases or decreases based on your skill level, and that it's more broad. Superpowers tend to be singular abilities. Being able to fly, having super strength, etc. Magic, on the other hand, tends to have more versatile applications. Someone might be a water mage and can use water in a unber of applications and not just for one skill. So in a way, unless you go down a specialized path, you're usually picking a group of skills more than you're picking one ability when it comes to magic.
don't tread on me

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:34 am

Forest State wrote:
Faal Lot Himdah wrote:Forest.... Starting something up again eh?

Yep. Featuring a bit more lore and worldbuilding than my past things.

Well. "A bit."

I have two rough ideas... but like most of my ideas, they may walk the line of OP. Just give me a while to condense them and I'll probably TG you them, and then I will edit them as necessary to make them work
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian
Charlia wrote:Faal Lot Himdah - A wizard. Possibly evil. Seen associating with Charlia, who baas at him a lot when he doesn't feed her enough. #BlameVoid

Spindle wrote:I swear, you two are pretty much the font of all evil in this world...

Lessoni
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lessoni » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:25 am

JACK

"I’m not entirely sure how I got here"

VITALS

Name:Jack
Nickname:N/A
Appearance:Jack is a tall thin asian man

Build:Slim, 6ft 140 lbs
Faction:Marked
Skill Classification: 8
Symbol Description: Lightning bolt

Magical School: Traditional
Magical Abilities: Shock: Jack can produce electricity directly below his skin, and fire it in a beam, which will arc between enemies. He can also shock enemies with a physical touch.
Electric: Jack can power most electrical devices with a touch and transfer his electricity into his sword, which is specially made to hold massive amounts of electricity
Conduction: Jack can move along conductive surfaces at speeds up to 30 mph

Weaknesses: Any nonconductive material will block Jack’s lightning, requiring more mana to burn through. In addition, his arc beams can move to friendly targets, meaning he prefers moving in close

Equipment: 1 44. Revolver
1 katana
1 pair of brass knuckles

DETAILS

Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Nationality: American
Hometown: Chicago
Sexuality: (Flexibly) Gay

Personality: Jack is a happy go lucky kind of guy who’s usually very amicable. When he’s angry, he takes on a very cold, calculating demeanor.
Biography: Pain. Pain and light. Being ripped from the arms of someone who might've been his mother. Jack could never remember whether he was born or bred. But he could remember that. He knows he was made in a lab to be a top specimen of magic, a new breed of human. But they failed. He was unable to control his power. They tried everything. They injected him with chemicals he didn't want to guess at the nature of, they ran electricity through his body in a desperate gamble to empower him. They even gave him a family, thinking what was blocking him was mental, not physical.

Jack remembers his family. His father, Sean. His mother, Brooke. And his sisters, Jamie and Elana. They gave him something he'd never had before. Kindess. And he could feel a part of him grow, like a parched flower being watered. But all the lab saw was his magic growing stronger. What they didn't count on was it growing wilder.

It happened in the night. He'd been taking a shower when he felt electricity course through him. These episodes weren't unusual, not anymore. He didn't worry about it, and he still regrets it to this day. Jack felt that this surge was stronger, but no one could've told him how much stronger it would turn out to be. Electricity arced up the water, into the plumbing, and from there? The wiring. Every outlet and appliance in the house burst into flame from the electric surge, and the house burned. Jack got out, but no one else did. And Jack was alone again.

They took him back to the lab, but he grew uncooperative. They tried to give him a new family, but he refused. He wanted his family back, but he'd never get them. So they finally decided he was a failed experiment. Jack was tipped off by the looks in the doctors eyes. They were about to do something to him, he could tell. And when one approached him, with a needle, a new emotion replaced the happiness that had seemed to power him.

Rage.

He cooked the doctor with the needle, and the guards that rushed in after. He fried every security system the facility had, and fried every doctor that had ever stuck a needle in him.

Jack suspects that the massive electric storm must have affected the pathways in his brain, because he doesn't remember any of it. He remembers waking up in an almey in Chicago, his clothes near burned off and electricity still coursing through him. And for a year, he wandered, completely alone.

Then the old man found him. The old man was a powerful mage, one who saw a spark within Jack and sought to hone it. He trained Jack on channeling his magic for 4 years, until he turned 18. Then he died, a tumor in his head that he couldn’t afford to get fixed. Jack was left alone again, until one day he woke up with a lightning bolt on his hand. Now?

He’s not alone anymore, and that’s what he’s happiest about.

#MarkedApp
Last edited by Lessoni on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Pebis

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:05 am

Lessoni wrote:snip

Want to add more details on how/why he was born in a lab, even if he doesn't know all of it himself?
don't tread on me

Lessoni
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lessoni » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 am

Forest State wrote:
Lessoni wrote:snip

Want to add more details on how/why he was born in a lab, even if he doesn't know all of it himself?

No problem
Pebis

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 am

And that should be both of my apps done.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:50 am

Putting a lot of math into the first characters power....
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:57 am

Lunas Legion wrote:snip

Accepted.
don't tread on me

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:25 pm

still brainstorming that's all. from reading other apps, it seems the description of magic dont have to be as in-depth compared to the superhero genre
Last edited by Union Princes on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Union Princes wrote:still brainstorming that's all. from reading other apps, it seems the description of magic dont have to be as in-depth compared to the superhero genre

Heh.... Wait till I get everything figured out
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:32 pm

are there specific rules on what the marks on the hand should look like?

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Union Princes wrote:are there specific rules on what the marks on the hand should look like?

Not really

Mine is a flame
Lover of doggos

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Union Princes wrote:still brainstorming that's all. from reading other apps, it seems the description of magic dont have to be as in-depth compared to the superhero genre

Depends on what you're trying to do, basic abilities would require less description than something advanced or more powerful than the norm.
don't tread on me

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:36 pm

Should I go dark with the bio?
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:Should I go dark with the bio?

I say go for it. There's already several... T H I N G S requiring human sacrifice, as well as an entire school of magic that requires you to steal people's souls. And violence magic is a thing.
don't tread on me

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Forest State wrote:
Faal Lot Himdah wrote:Should I go dark with the bio?

I say go for it. There's already several... T H I N G S requiring human sacrifice, as well as an entire school of magic that requires you to steal people's souls. And violence magic is a thing.

So, human experimentation is cool then? (And I don't mean morally)
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:41 pm

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:
Forest State wrote:I say go for it. There's already several... T H I N G S requiring human sacrifice, as well as an entire school of magic that requires you to steal people's souls. And violence magic is a thing.

Yeeaaahhh, the bad mages tend to do stuff like that to the general populace more than the public realizes.
don't tread on me

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Forest State wrote:
Faal Lot Himdah wrote:

Yeeaaahhh, the bad mages tend to do stuff like that to the general populace more than the public realizes.

Where would such practices tend not to be? I know there probably everywhere, but statistically, where is it unlikely?
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:49 pm

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:
Forest State wrote:Yeeaaahhh, the bad mages tend to do stuff like that to the general populace more than the public realizes.

Where would such practices tend not to be? I know there probably everywhere, but statistically, where is it unlikely?

The Mediterranean has a large Church of Light presence which is a major authority so it's hard to pull off crimes there. It's also harder in countries with authoritarian governments that try harder to control magic users in general, not just the villainous ones. So places like those would most likely be harder to pull it off in because of increased presence of the authorities, for two different reasons.
don't tread on me

New Neros
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Neros » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:
Forest State wrote:Yeeaaahhh, the bad mages tend to do stuff like that to the general populace more than the public realizes.

I feel like the developed world would see less experimentation because of the activity of good mages and groups to detect and eliminate such things. The developing world and anywhere near the Dark Realm in Siberia would be a good place to be fiddled with.
Looking for a good time? Horizon Academy is the place to be! | Do Forum Mods dream of sexual DEAT?
Reploid Productions wrote:I have had to read a lot of erotic RP telegrams in the past four months and it does all start to run together into one giant mass of penises, vaginas, breasts, tentacles, dildos, bodily fluids and so on.

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Forest State wrote:
Faal Lot Himdah wrote:

The Mediterranean has a large Church of Light presence which is a major authority so it's hard to pull off crimes there. It's also harder in countries with authoritarian governments that try harder to control magic users in general, not just the villainous ones. So places like those would most likely be harder to pull it off in because of increased presence of the authorities, for two different reasons.

Alright, cool
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse