NATION

PASSWORD

Elementals 3: The White Rose (IC, Sign-ups only)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Erosen had remained, for all intents and purposes, close to Catrin since they had left. Cities had never been his forte and with so many people he'd once known, all being here at the same time, he'd felt entitled to stay hidden. The gods only knew how they'd react to seeing him again, he'd practically disappeared at the height of one of the biggest fights they'd ever had, and in the news he'd received in the fallout of the incident, most had been scattered. It was these thoughts which held his mind with a vice-like grip as he looked at the ground ahead of him. He knew Catrin's kind were hardly welcome in the cities, but she was far more indignant and proud than people would have given credit to her upon first look. He attempted to bring the scarf about his head further over his face, drawing up the hood on his cloak, over his head to hide from the rising sun. Cursed be the brat of a fire deity that was Pryastar for his needless spite, the Dark Elemental cast a quick spit up the stones beneath his feet before suddenly being roused from his musing by the sound of his own name.

He flinched. He'd asked before for Catrin to avoid using his name, but now she was angry and she almost couldn't care about discretion anymore. No, she'd been slighted and she wanted to get back at the people whom had disturbed her. That at least put her into a mindset more similar to Erosen's own, but his eyes flew up towards the drider, and back at the crowd as he realized with a sudden shock who was before him: Eric, Tristan, and Lisoette. He tried to avert his eyes, to avoid the gaze of any of them and hope they didn't think twice as his cheeks flushed with shame. Had he known he could get away with it, he would have tried to shadow-step away right then. Sense, however, anchored him to the ground and instead forced him to pull his cloak closer about him in the summer heat.

It was then he heard Lisoette's voice first. She spoke out, called his name and forced his gaze to turn away and towards the ground. His frame was thin, but hardly thin enough to find cover behind the frame of the drider as Tristan's voice also rose. Were it not for a fortunate shot of an arrow, ringing against Catrin's chest with a solid clattering noise, he feared what might have happened if they had seen him in his current state. He was positively reeking with demonic essence right now, Dark Element seeping from his very pores as he had only just managed to finish feasting upon the rest of the corpse he'd brought with him into the city this morning. Whirling around, hand dropping to his side and fastening around the hilt of his shortsword which sat in it's scabbard, tucked along the small of his back. Violet hues flashed in his eyes as he attempted to perceive the attempted assassin, only to suddenly move a step closer to the spider-woman's legs for comfort. She was built sturdy and strong, like a mobile castle and he could recall one particular incident with an overgrown Northern Spine-crested Rat that had paid dividends for using her bulk as such.

As out of the shadows stepped a scoundrel of similar appearance as Erosen, so too did a dozen others emerge. Erosen breathed in softly, his heart was pounding again. He'd not wanted to spill Human blood, but if it came to that, he would protect himself and Catrin to the best of his abilities. Their threats turned Erosen's stomach over within his body and he glared daggers at the chest of the man in front. Almost as soon as the attention had been laid upon Catrin though, it had been redirected onto Eric. His eyes flitted between Catrin, the old lecher, and the man whom was quickly identified as 'Dominic', a pirate. His grip loosening on his shortsword, he figured it would be a mistake to try and capitalize on any elemental usage here. As the threats of determining who was who, by means of violence came to pass, Erosen's eyes watched Eric shift his way closer. Closer to Catrin? To Erosen?

"Bell, juice the arm!"

A tomato-paste-like mist-filled moment later and the headless corpse of Dominic, the short-lived would-be Drider-assassin, pirate extraordinaire, fell to the ground with a wet sound of meat and bones upon stone. Erosen's face hinted a twinge of empathy for the brutal way the likely equally brutal man had died. It wasn't as though he hadn't deserved to die, or perhaps that there were cleaner ways to do it, but the mess was just now going to fall upon someone else to pick up all the pieces, nevermind how it would add to the smell of death and decay already prevalent in these alleys and side streets. A few moments later, and Eric was walking at the head of their group, following the remaining bandits to their den somewhere within the back alleys of Carogne.

As they finally managed to show up in the correct location, wrong turns and vengeful whores with nicknames as equally strange as their anatomy not withstanding the relentlessness of Eric Lumen, the scourge of Gaiacas Ten Thousand Brothels Guild. Before them stood a tavern, down by the docks in the harbor district of Carogne with noticeably scant city law enforcement presence, in favor of the sentries of a privately employed kind. As negotiations between Eric "Wielder of the Nine Itches" Lumen, the girl whom was apparently named 'Katya' and was an Air Elemental, a third more irritable yet well-manicured man, and the self-proclaimed Pirate Queen Francesca, Erosen took a step backwards and did his best to avoid making his presence apparent. It was easy enough, people did not oft like looking at things which displeased them, and his rags and cloak made himself a displeasing figure to gaze upon. Even in slums like this place, he noticed gazes bouncing around him, his very presence uncomforting to many.

Watching as the price negotiations began to take a turn for the worst, his eyes began to dart around the room, a hand discreetly moving up along his back until again it found purchase around the blade he kept under his cloak. just as soon as the tension had risen, however, it had dropped off. As the group moved outside, apparently something had arisen in which they had wanted to see the very craft that Eric and the girl would be using to leave Carogne. For where, he hadn't quite paid enough attention yet, but perhaps he would go along. That is, if Catrin agreed to go as well. He needed to make sure she escaped the city safely, and he couldn't do that if he was on the ship and she wasn't. Apparently pleased with the ship before her, the one named Katya quickly declared they would leave in the morning. Erosen raised an eyebrow towards her, the price had sounded rather high, even to him who avoided currency for the most part.

Her intentions quickly became manifest, however, as the group moved away from the port and back into the town. As she walked back through the maze of streets towards the center of town, she gave voice to her thoughts, her plan to steal the ship was one that likely would cost them a bit of trouble. Looking back at himself, Catrin, and the woman he'd abducted the day before, he let himself shield his eyes away from her gaze, deflecting his gaze downwards towards a storm-drain that seemed to have interesting patterning upon it. It held his gaze for a second until bickering between those around him brought his gaze back towards the group.

Eric spoke up, the voices in his head speaking to him again. He felt almost sorry for the old man, there was a hint of strangeness though about him as he recalled that indeed the group was missing someone. Where was the Angelle from the day prior? Had she simply been another of Eric's whores? The thought sent a searing mark across an exposed section of his neck and he grimaced, not understanding why the simple thought had wrought such a furious reaction from the sunlight and the deity which had no doubt concentrated it upon the disgraced elemental for that moment. According to her plan, they needed to sneak across the harbor on the far side, they being the rest of the group. Erosen sighed, apparently sneaking was their number one issue, but unless Tristan and Eric were willing to cover for him, he would likely be killed the second he tried to help.

Deciding he'd kept quiet long enough, he looked towards the girl and spoke. It was strange, his voice didn't take to Gallian as it usually did, the garbled tones coming out of his throat like some hellish speech, but far less nails-on-chalkboard sounding. It felt, almost familiar to the vagrant as he spoke in Garamiccian to the girl.

"If you would allow me, I believe I can solve the problems we face. Eric and Tristan will need to support me for it. Promise you'll take Catrin with you, and the woman beside me if you do. While it wouldn't work as is, it's because you don't know the tools you do have at your disposal, not all of the essential ones that is. Give me until the city bell tolls midnight tonight, then walk to the harbor and board the ship. None will stop you, question you, or attack you. Of that you have my word."

A flash of violet within his eyes, before they fell back into their luminous lavender color, punctuated his speaking as his gift ended itself. While he knew not the language he had spoken, the origin of the girl seemed most certainly to be foreign. The tongue of the Gallians was nothing like the sounds he'd just made, and he prayed that something would show for his offer in return. Reaching up, he removed his hood, to reveal that while the clothes may have made for a grimy and unkempt appearance, his face was not sallow or sunken or sickly in color. His eyes, while a strange and otherworldly shade of indigo, were not sunken within the pits or red from dehydration and his hair fell in clean and seemingly well-groomed locks about his face. He noted as one stray bang fell forward and ahead of his face, he was in dire need of a haircut if anything.

Watching as the warrior woman stalked away, he couldn't help but think they would need to find a way to bring her back into the group, before she got too far out of reach- or fell into the hands of The Watchtower. Calling out, he spoke towards her, his voice now taking on the familiar notes of Gallian speech," If you walk by yourself, The Watchtower likely has agents searching for you as we speak. I don't know who you ran from before, but if they're in this city and looking for you, there'll be no place to hide. They have your photograph as they have mine, and they''ll use it to persecute you, hang you, or worse- they'll dissect you to figure out how the little bits inside of you work to channel the power of the gods... Elemental."

It was a gamble, but she had recovered remarkably quickly from Shadowstepping, and knowing that most without the divine touch often could suffer long-standing pain and paralysis after one such journey, her energy and strength had betrayed something about her nature one otherwise might not have known without witnessing a physical manifestation of it first.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Lazarian wrote:"Hey, now." said Alexei, patting Fumiko gently on the back. "It's going to be okay, Lady Fumiko. It's all going to be okay. I'll come with you, wherever you go." he continued firmly, pulling her in for a warm embrace. After a few seconds, he quickly let go of her, realizing that, one, they had just met, and, two, nobles probably didn't find that acceptable. He was a 'commoner', after all. And it was awfully risky to promise her that...but she needed it right now, and he hated to see a helpless woman in distress. If Katya had a problem with it, she could suck it up and deal with it.

Fumiko sniffled when Alexei pulled her into a warm embrace, while she would normally have been offended, it was nice to have someone to hug after everyone else had either died or abandoned her. “Thank you,” she murmured after he let her go, probably out of awareness about how improper it was to his station. She wiped her eyes. “I'm feeling a little bit better now.” a little bit was not a whole lot, but in this circumstance, it went a long way, she decided.
Lazarian wrote:"I'm sure we can loot bodies for a few coin. Those weapons ought to be worth something, too. When we get back to the city, we'll sell them, and I'll use that to pay rent and whatever else you need." he muttered, looking over the bodies. Surely at least one had a purse of coin. It would be best not to go back to where Reiji had died, though. She didn't need to see what was left of him after something like that. He paused, putting his hand to his bloodied chin, thinking. "Although...how would you feel about coming along on journey to North Gallia? I can't help you for long if you don't." he asked, praying she would accept the idea.

“Y - y - yes.” Fumiko replied, aware that there was nowhere else for her to go. Part of her still held out hope of somehow, somewhere, coming across a miracle that would allow her to reclaim her throne. “There isn't much else available for me but to head North.”
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Lazarian
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Katya was rather surprised at the outburst, to say the least. As the frumpy woman marched off, she was broiling inside, but outwardly, she shrugged, to keep face in front of the others. She'd have Aerion deal with that wretch later.

"That's a lot of conclusions to pull from "I'm Katya of House Kuznetsov", eh? Well, no matter. Time to get back to business." she retorted to the group after the woman had left, shaking her head in disgust. Ah, it was no matter. The opinions of some disheveled peasant woman didn't mean much to her. And compared to what she had heard from her father before during some of his fits, it really wasn't that bad.
Kassaran wrote:Deciding he'd kept quiet long enough, he looked towards the girl and spoke. It was strange, his voice didn't take to Gallian as it usually did, the garbled tones coming out of his throat like some hellish speech, but far less nails-on-chalkboard sounding. It felt, almost familiar to the vagrant as he spoke in Garamiccian to the girl.

"If you would allow me, I believe I can solve the problems we face. Eric and Tristan will need to support me for it. Promise you'll take Catrin with you, and the woman if you do. While it wouldn't work as is, it's because you don't know the tools you do have at your disposal, not all of the essential ones that is. Give me until the city bell tolls midnight tonight, then walk to the harbor and board the ship. None will stop you, question you, or attack you. Of that you have my word."

A flash of violet within his eyes, before they fell back into their luminous lavender color, punctuated his speaking as his gift ended itself. While he knew not the language he had spoken, the origin of the girl seemed most certainly to be foreign. The tongue of the Gallians was nothing like the sounds he'd just made, and he prayed that something would show for his offer in return. Reaching up, he removed his hood, to reveal that while the clothes may have made for a grimy and unkempt appearance, his face was not sallow or sunken or sickly in color. His eyes, while a strange and otherworldly shade of indigo, were not sunken within the pits or red from dehydration and his hair fell in clean and seemingly well-groomed locks about his face. He noted as one stray bang fell forward and ahead of his face, he was in dire need of a haircut if anything.

"A fellow Garmiccian!" she gasped, falling back into her native language. Gods, that felt so much more natural than Gallian. "What a pleasant surprise!"

The man was actually rather beautiful, in a strange type of way. His eyes were a strange shade of purple, and his hair was clean and well groomed. It had been nearly impossible to see before, as he had been hiding behind Caitrin nearly the entire trip. Beyond that, he had hidden under a thick hood, and his clothes were rather grimy. He had offered an interesting proposition, and his eyes had flashed, hinting of some mysterious, unknown magic. It intrigued her, and his voice was incredibly alluring. But she had to lot to lose if trusting him went badly, and trusting a random stranger wasn't exactly the best way to go about things. Besides, Eric and Tristan were valuable allies, and if they were lost in a plan that didn't work, that would be catastrophic.

"Two things, sir Erosen." she stated, still in her native language, raising a finger. "One, you'll need to explain this plan in a little more detail than that. Tell me a little more about who you are and what you can do. And two, I'm not accepting any proposition that involves bringing that witch along. I literally asked who she was and she went on a minute long rant about how I would never amount to anything, so...not good travelling company. I hope you understand where I'm coming from on that one."

She coughed, clearing her throat, and then switched back to Gallian, addressing the rest of the group.

"Well, any other suggestions? Eric and Aerion are fine with my foolish plan that'll get us all killed horribly." she said, mocking the woman who had stormed off. "How about you, Tristan? Or you, Caitrin?" she continued, shuddering slightly as she addressed the drider, praying that talking to them wasn't actually bad luck. That was the last thing she needed right now. "Because as soon as everyone is on board, we can begin to discuss plan in depth."
Last edited by Lazarian on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lazarian
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:“Y - y - yes.” Fumiko replied, aware that there was nowhere else for her to go. Part of her still held out hope of somehow, somewhere, coming across a miracle that would allow her to reclaim her throne. “There isn't much else available for me but to head North.”

"Well then," Alexei rumbled, "allow me a few moments to get to work. Sit here and rest, Lady Fumiko. I'll take care of it."

He wandered over to the fallen bodies of the bandits, grimacing at their remains. It was unfortunate that they had chosen such a lifestyle, but those were the consequences. And it was either them or himself. There was no guilt to be felt about it. He limped his way across the scene of the attack, bending down to collect purses of coin and the various shortswords, axes, and maces that the bandits had used. They were all of rather shoddy worksmanship, but at the very least, the iron would be worth money for scrap. He ripped another strip off of the bloodstained top to tie the weapons together, and then threw the bundle over his shoulder, bracing the padded bit against his shoulder.

"Alright, m'lady." he said, walking over and sitting next to her. "We should go now. It's a bit of a walk to the city. Can you manage it yourself?"

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:56 pm

As the girl spoke to him, he went to speak, but paused as soon as he went to speak again in what was apparently Garamiccian. His voice caught in his throat and he looked surprised, the magic was still strong in him from that day with the Daemonness. As she agreed with most of his plan, there was still the issue of the woman still stalking away. Like it or not, he was not beholden to serve Katya, so even if she refused to accept her presence, it would be a simple matter simply to replay the events of the night prior. There was... a brief pang of guilt for having to likely be the one to subject her to such an experience again, but it would be for the best. The less people Watchtower could hurt, the more damage others could do to the Watchtower in return. His voice, however, needed to speak in Gallian, and so with that he turned towards Eric and spoke, his voice fluently slipping back into Gallian," Eric, it's been a long time, hasn't it old friend?"

His eyes switched to the Frost-born Ice Elemental, and the disguised Daemonette beside him -nodding his head at each in turn- before turning back to Katya. Keeping a focus on making himself understandable to both groups of people, he began," My name is Erosen Arnyek, I am a demon hunter first and foremost, and a fugitive from The Watchtower organization of anti-Elementals. That is as much you are permitted to know of me for the time being. The two you have brought into your retainer are old comrades of mine, who were with me three years ago before I left them in the middle of a particularly bad fight. To put it more simply, I abandoned them in their time of need and while I have no idea what I could have done if I remained, it was more than what I did. For that I must apologize.

"But your plan is flawed for the very same reasons the sword-maiden before me spoke of. The guards, though few in number, are still present in large enough number to outrun us and likely outgun us if any element of the plan falters. For that, we will need to simply eliminate or neutralize all of them before making off with the ship you desire. Tristan, your wife can follow any trail I leave for her, no?" His eyes gave a pointed sidelong glance towards Tristan, and then Lisoette," I'll clear the path to the ship alongside you and Eric. We'll run Eric as interference and pull as many out of position as possible with one of Eric's little shenanigans, I'm sure after the loss of Dominic, there's plenty of men who will want to scrap it out with him. Keep him alive while I take care of the stragglers. Lock them down and freeze them like you did the one beast from three years ago.

"Eric, I trust you know how to keep yourself out of harm's way with a guardian angel looking over your shoulder, but realize we need their attentions away from the harbor for as long as possible so try not to do anything too, well... Eric. Katya, I am no stranger to the strengths of Wind Elementals, you will be our key to success in escaping quickly as I'm sure you're aware. Because of that, you need to attract as little attention as possible in heading to the harbor. Follow Tristan's wife. Catrin can go with you, and before you start protesting Cat, you know as well as I that the Watchtower won't stop hunting you in this town until you've left or they're all dead."
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:07 pm

Kassaran wrote:As the girl spoke to him, he went to speak, but paused as soon as he went to speak again in what was apparently Garamiccian. His voice caught in his throat and he looked surprised, the magic was still strong in him from that day with the Daemonness. As she agreed with most of his plan, there was still the issue of the woman still stalking away. Like it or not, he was not beholden to serve Katya, so even if she refused to accept her presence, it would be a simple matter simply to replay the events of the night prior. There was... a brief pang of guilt for having to likely be the one to subject her to such an experience again, but it would be for the best. The less people Watchtower could hurt, the more damage others could do to the Watchtower in return. His voice, however, needed to speak in Gallian, and so with that he turned towards Eric and spoke, his voice fluently slipping back into Gallian," Eric, it's been a long time, hasn't it old friend?"

His eyes switched to the Frost-born Ice Elemental, and the disguised Daemonette beside him -nodding his head at each in turn- before turning back to Katya. Keeping a focus on making himself understandable to both groups of people, he began," My name is Erosen Arnyek, I am a demon hunter first and foremost, and a fugitive from The Watchtower organization of anti-Elementals. That is as much you are permitted to know of me for the time being. The two you have brought into your retainer are old comrades of mine, who were with me three years ago before I left them in the middle of a particularly bad fight. To put it more simply, I abandoned them in their time of need and while I have no idea what I could have done if I remained, it was more than what I did. For that I must apologize.

"But your plan is flawed for the very same reasons the sword-maiden before me spoke of. The guards, though few in number, are still present in large enough number to outrun us and likely outgun us if any element of the plan falters. For that, we will need to simply eliminate or neutralize all of them before making off with the ship you desire. Tristan, your wife can follow any trail I leave for her, no?" His eyes gave a pointed sidelong glance towards Tristan, and then Lisoette," I'll clear the path to the ship alongside you and Eric. We'll run Eric as interference and pull as many out of position as possible with one of Eric's little shenanigans, I'm sure after the loss of Dominic, there's plenty of men who will want to scrap it out with him. Keep him alive while I take care of the stragglers. Lock them down and freeze them like you did the one beast from three years ago.

"Eric, I trust you know how to keep yourself out of harm's way with a guardian angel looking over your shoulder, but realize we need their attentions away from the harbor for as long as possible so try not to do anything too, well... Eric. Katya, I am no stranger to the strengths of Wind Elementals, you will be our key to success in escaping quickly as I'm sure you're aware. Because of that, you need to attract as little attention as possible in heading to the harbor. Follow Tristan's wife. Catrin can go with you, and before you start protesting Cat, you know as well as I that the Watchtower won't stop hunting you in this town until you've left or they're all dead."

"...Oh, hey. I just realized it's you. The little crazy kid. Jeez, you look like Hell. No wonder I didn't recognize you until now."

"And the numerous times his name had been spoken must be your hearing going on you..."

"Oh, shut up."

He tossed his arm around his shoulder.

"And don't you worry about a thing. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's keeping people distracted. A story here, a testicle trick I call "Eggs over easy" there and people plum forget they were trying to kill you for just long enough to escape and/or steal something."

He released him from his grasp.

"And hey, when the plan is done..."

He reached deep inside the Fanny Pack Of Wonder, pulling out a familiar flask of black glowing...something.

"I've still got The Mixture on me. See if you don't turn into a drooling heap this time."
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 pm

Lazarian wrote:"Alright, m'lady." he said, walking over and sitting next to her. "We should go now. It's a bit of a walk to the city. Can you manage it yourself?"

“I can manage.” Fumi sighed, realizing that she was drenched and it was not the most dignified way to return to the city. Her feet had started to bleed from the cold, but no one would be able to see that from underneath her sandals. She looked around, wanting to take one last look at the forest where she had lost everything, before finally starting the trek back to Carogne.

Carogne

As they reached Carogne and entered the city, Fumi felt that she was never going to ever want to walk again. She missed the palanquin which she had rode in just this morning, the luxury of being enclosed from the elements and being able to look out the sides without having to engage with the outside world. “I would like to enter my room alone,” Fumi said to Alexei as the two of them came closer to the tavern where she had been residing. “We will meet again some time in the morning to plan what to do next. At the moment, I want to be alone...” her sentence trailed off, reflecting her wandering state of mind.

After taking her leave of him, she entered the tavern. The owner said something, a greeting from what she understood, which she didn't reciprocate, walking up the stairs and into the room where she and Himegawa had lay just a few hours earlier. Fumi looked around, examining the collection of kimono that she possessed, an impressive array even for someone like her.

As she thought about earlier, a thought entered her mind.

“Go with him...” Fumiko held the sleeve of one of her furisode in her hands, and suddenly tugged on it. How could she let herself be dependent on someone she had just met? Alexei had been nice, courteous even, but he was still a foreigner she had only recently met, and now she had let him see her sniffling, had let him hug her, and was now following him like a lost puppy dog. Wasn't that the epitome of pitiful.

A more sinister thought entered her mind. What if this were all a ploy? A mind recently shocked by betrayal can invent anything, and Fumi's hands started to shake. “He means to kill me and steal my things,” she muttered to herself. It all made sense. He was still working for that Katya woman, that lady had never liked her, and maybe he was the one who masterminded the whole plot which had just transpired. Would anyone have betrayed her without outside interference? Foreigners could never be trusted. He hadn't shown her Nekoyashiki's corpse, meaning she couldn't trust the account that he provided of how the courtier died.

A new determination arose in her, Fumi started packing the furisode, jūnihitoe, and other rich garments she had. She would sell them tonight, it was tragic, but she couldn't afford to be attached now that her path was laid clear for her. Her hands shivered as she touched her mother's amulet, a relic of her ancestor, supposedly a mountain goddess, and she couldn't bear to separate from it.

While she was thinking about it, Fumi realized she was still in the (now almost dry) clothes that she had been in from the ambush. She quickly changed into a practical yukata, deciding that she would save a few of the less expensive clothes to wear.
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.

Lazarian
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Kassaran wrote:His eyes switched to the Frost-born Ice Elemental, and the disguised Daemonette beside him -nodding his head at each in turn- before turning back to Katya. Keeping a focus on making himself understandable to both groups of people, he began," My name is Erosen Arnyek, I am a demon hunter first and foremost, and a fugitive from The Watchtower organization of anti-Elementals. That is as much you are permitted to know of me for the time being. The two you have brought into your retainer are old comrades of mine, who were with me three years ago before I left them in the middle of a particularly bad fight. To put it more simply, I abandoned them in their time of need and while I have no idea what I could have done if I remained, it was more than what I did. For that I must apologize.

"But your plan is flawed for the very same reasons the sword-maiden before me spoke of. The guards, though few in number, are still present in large enough number to outrun us and likely outgun us if any element of the plan falters. For that, we will need to simply eliminate or neutralize all of them before making off with the ship you desire. Tristan, your wife can follow any trail I leave for her, no?" His eyes gave a pointed sidelong glance towards Tristan, and then Lisoette, "I'll clear the path to the ship alongside you and Eric. We'll run Eric as interference and pull as many out of position as possible with one of Eric's little shenanigans, I'm sure after the loss of Dominic, there's plenty of men who will want to scrap it out with him. Keep him alive while I take care of the stragglers. Lock them down and freeze them like you did the one beast from three years ago.

"Eric, I trust you know how to keep yourself out of harm's way with a guardian angel looking over your shoulder, but realize we need their attentions away from the harbor for as long as possible so try not to do anything too, well... Eric. Katya, I am no stranger to the strengths of Wind Elementals, you will be our key to success in escaping quickly as I'm sure you're aware. Because of that, you need to attract as little attention as possible in heading to the harbor. Follow Tristan's wife. Catrin can go with you, and before you start protesting, Cat, you know as well as I that the Watchtower won't stop hunting you in this town until you've left or they're all dead."

Katya crossed her arms. Erosen brought up some legitimate points. There were plenty of guards on the decks, and if they took too long to release the ship from the harbor, they likely would be boarded and swarmed. That being said, neutralizing all of them without anyone setting off the alarm bells seemed like a much greater task. Besides that, while Erosen talked with confidence, she had no idea whether he could actually do any of what he was saying at all. It was good that he had some familiarity with Eric and Tristan - it would be easier to sway him to her side, in that case. She would have been willing to change plans and perhaps go a different route, but after that peasant's outburst, her honor was at stake. Alexei had instructed her well on maintaining control of a group, and she wasn't nearly strong enough or authoritative enough to do it through threats or commands. She had to keep order through negotiating and proving that she had solid direction, and this was easier said than done.

Yes, stealing from the pirates was probably unwise. But whether they stole a small boat or a large one, Francesca would know it was them, so they would be hunted regardless. Furthermore, if they stole a merchant ship and attempted to sail it there, the local authorities would be after them, and, frankly, with the new telegrams that had risen up, they would all have a bounty on their heads by the time they reached the continent. It'd honestly be easier to deal with the pirates.

"Master Erosen," she said, staying in her home language, "it is a wonderful pleasure to meet you, and I'm very glad to have you join us. A demon hunter is truly a noble profession. However, I simply don't have enough proof to stake our lives on your abilities. While the idea of using Eric as a diversion is wise, I'm afraid eliminating every guard at the dock is simply unfeasible. While he may be a wonderful distraction, they won't just leave their posts because of him. There's several watchtowers over the dock, and it would take mere moments to set off the alarm bells, if you were noticed in the slightest. The harbor is covered in fog at night, and the moon isn't full in the sky, and thus I still think approaching from sea would be the better course of action. I don't think they would even have sailors on the ship itself, if they have guards at the dock, so it's just a matter of getting on, cutting the ropes, and fleeing town as quickly as possible. If we successfully get out to sea, they won't catch us. I can promise you that."

Suddenly, Alexei walked up to the group, painfully limping forwards. Upon returning to the town, he had taken a brief trip to a local armourshop, sold the weapons for scrap, and then gone to a local clinic and had the arrow removed and his wounds bandaged. He was blessed, apparently. The wound on his left arm was mostly a flesh and tissue wound, and no organs had been damaged by the gash into his right side. While it would leave an ugly scar, there wouldn't be many further complications, unless it grew infected. The vodka he had poured on it before it had been bandaged up would likely prevent that, though. He wore his thick hauberk, trousers, gloves, and boots, topped by a metal chestplate. His kite shield was strapped to his back, and he held his axe closely by his side. He wasn't going to be caught unprepared in flimsy robes again. His beard and parts of his face were still flecked with dried blood, giving it a reddish tint, and he looked ghastly and pale, the blood loss still affecting him dramatically. Thankfully, the local merchants had seen where Katya had wandered off to, and a pirate guard was more than willing to tell him the direction that the party had gone for a few coppers. There were some new faces in the group - a handsome man with flowing black locks of hair and magenta coloured eyes, and an enormous...hideous...spider...thing. Well, it was best not to stare. He knew the old saying about inhumans and bad luck was absolute bullshite - the inhumans were simply more dangerous than regular folk, was all.

"Greetings, friends." he said, waving weakly at the group. "Is great to see you all again. Good to see new faces. What's going on here?"

Katya, in Garmiccian, stated proudly, "I've found a route to North Gallia, without paying a single Danethrum. We're going to be stealing a ship from the Basilisk pirates. I know the location, and we'll strike in the dead of the night. By the way, whatever happened to you?"

"Lass, that's some of the dumbest shit I've heard in my entire life. And, two, I'll explain later. Don't worry about it." replied Alexei angrily in his home language, putting his hands on his hips, earning a fierce scowl from Katya. As much as he liked Eric, the old man's wild ideas seemed to be rubbing off on the girl a bit too much for his liking. "Listen, I understand that using a pirate vessel to travel will likely get us there much more quickly, and that's a great idea, but stealing? From the Basilisk Pirates? M'lady, couldn't we just pay their fare?"

"They're asking 5000 Danethrums, so no." she replied sourly, shaking her head. Ah. That would be why. That was an outrageous price. There was no way they could afford that. "Besides, I was mocked and disgraced by a peasant about the idea, and if I just fold and bend like a coward, it reflects poorly on me. You of all people should know how important one's reputation is. I have to follow through with it now." she continued, looking slightly upset.

"Well, getting us all killed will also reflect poorly." he said, grinning slightly. Gods, this reminded him of his own youth. "But I understand where you're coming from. Well, I've stolen ships before. With your father, back in the day. And with this many spellborn on our side, anything is possible. Let me hear your plan, Katya. But first, everyone must be onboard. The only way you'll pull off something like this is with every member of your brigade working together."

"Well!" said Alexei enthusiastically, standing up to his full height, towering over the group (Except for Catrin, who still dwarfed him). "Comrades, who's ready to pull off the greatest feat of our lives?"

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:10 pm

The Dark Elemental let an eyebrow raise as the girl turned down his idea, his eyes sliding to regard Eric and Tristan. Both of them were likely to not try and kill him if he used his powers here, they'd known him when he'd first received this curse. Catrin was most definitely still present and liable to help defend him, but one misstep here would leave the big man in plate who now walked up in a position to strike him. He didn't much appreciate the thought of having any part of his flesh rent open, but the less danger he could put on the group later that night, the better. They were still rather secluded and Watchtower wasn't likely to carry out a raid at this point, not that there'd be any warning if they decided to do so. As he listened to their conversation carry on, he let himself think for a moment more before resolving to act on his own here. She wanted proof of his abilities, he'd give it to her.

The large man in plate armor didn't seem to be in the highest of health right now, and Erosen now realized as he still feigned energy and strength within his weakened frame, that now would be likely the only time he'd ever get away with this act. So he let his mouth begin muttering under his breath, a slight breeze blowing the errant lock of hair in front of his face to-and-fro as a deep, dark amethyst arc of mist and energy crackled between his fingertips and leaped across his clothes. His eyes flashed for a brief second as he gave the command word it's power, and shadow-stepped into the shadows he now stood in between the buildings. Feeling the ground beneath him give way as his cloak billowed up around him for a split second, he let the beyond pull him in. The second part of his plan perhaps gave him a guilty pang somewhere within. The sword-maiden whom had continued to walk as the rest of the group had come to a halt, now was about to reach the main street. Though she likely already had determined she would be best off waiting for the rest of the group, Erosen was going to ensure she waited for them before continuing on.

Travel in the beyond, it didn't really feel like it passed based on the distance or space one used, in fact time didn't pass at all in the void and one could feel as though a lifetime of emptiness had been lived by the time a simple passing through a wall had occurred, while transits from Hell could feel as if one had not even been given the time to blink. It all simply lay in the mood of Tenaembra at the time he assumed, and the appetites of the dark beasts which not even he likely still controlled. There was a brief shudder through the man as he drifted, thinking of the demons which gave him no sustenance in spite of their number... a small flying creature that resembled an insect from Gaiaca, but instead drank the blood of living beings for their own survival. As much resemblance as Erosen perhaps bore in principle of operation to them, he refused to relegate himself to ever trying to deal with them. Their minds far too simple in their conquest of the world relentless, even where none of the great fiends faced in the time of the ancients had succeeded, those abominations of creation thrived.

The road, bricks, cobble and wood came suddenly rushing up to Erosen as he fell through the shadow beneath an overhanging balcony in the street, his form lithely landing before Gwen as she walked and standing up, he held up both his hands," please wait for the others, they seem to have come to a stop in trying to figure out what they wanted to do tonight. I'd appreciate if you took part in those discussions."

He had no reason to care so much for this woman, but if keeping Catrin and her out of the hands of The Watchtower was the end result of his interference here in Carogne, he would risk dipping into his reserves in order to ensure that victory. What use was having the Dark Element if one could not find ways to use it for good? He let his gaze switch from her, to Katya further down the alleyway and called out to the group," I think you're perhaps best off determining the plan once you know all of the pieces you have, rather than all of the pieces you can see? As your butler said, we all do this together, or we don't at all."

bloody hell, mate.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:34 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:"letting that creepy spider thing on my boat..."

"I take offense to the thing part, but go on," Catrin interjected.

Lazarian wrote:"But first, tell me, who in seven hells are you people?" she said, pointing at Gwen, Caitrin, and Erosen. "I know you vere compelled to come along earlier by those pirates, but judging by your appearances, I'm assuming you vant to get out of town as well. You look like a bunch of scruffy vagabonds." she continued, wrinkling her nose at Erosen in particular.

"I take... well, no, technically I am a vagabond, since I don't exactly keep a constant home address long enough to pay taxes. Anyway, I'm Catrin."

Kassaran wrote:"Eric, I trust you know how to keep yourself out of harm's way with a guardian angel looking over your shoulder, but realize we need their attentions away from the harbor for as long as possible so try not to do anything too, well... Eric. Katya, I am no stranger to the strengths of Wind Elementals, you will be our key to success in escaping quickly as I'm sure you're aware. Because of that, you need to attract as little attention as possible in heading to the harbor. Follow Tristan's wife. Catrin can go with you, and before you start protesting Cat, you know as well as I that the Watchtower won't stop hunting you in this town until you've left or they're all dead."

The drider shrugged. "No promises if she calls me a thing again, but I've got no issues with this plan, other than that I think you're neglecting and/or forgetting my crowd control capabilities. I can get my real sword if I need it, by which I mean I absolutely will because there's no chance in every hell there is that I'm leaving it behind." She crossed her arms at this. "Falchions and shields are nice, but if there's any chance of fighting other elementals, or the Watchtower Gang, I'm going to need something with a lot more heft. And don't worry," she said, patting her left front... thigh? We'll call it a thigh. "I'm more than fast enough to make it in time."

And then he went off and announced to the whole group (without words) that he was a Darkness Elemental. She didn't care - she was born in darkness, and most driders didn't consider the deity thereof to be as evil as most two-legged creatures did because of this. She was sure his old friends didn't care - especially Eric, whom she was starting to doubt had any leg to stand on to call anyone out on anything.

The newcomers were a different story, and it was for that that her hand met her face again.

"One of these days he's gonna do that shit in broad daylight and get us all killed."
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:48 pm

Rupudska wrote:
"One of these days he's gonna do that shit in broad daylight and get us all killed."

"Almost got himself killed once doing it."

He stuffed The Mixture back in his fanny pack.

"Yeah, he got a little...well, possessed seems the nice term. Lass who was travelling with us at the time damn near put a magic arrow through his heart. Kid was lucky I was there to save him. Held a quick little trial, proved him innocent enough to spare and we were on our way."

He adjusted his sword a little.

"Glad I don't have to deal with all this magic stuff. Seems like a gigantic pain in the ass. People persecuting you, hunting you, stuff...exploding..."

Eric glanced down the docks both ways, the gears turning in his head. And Belle quickly interjecting.

"Eric, do remember not all the ships parked here are pirate ships. You're not blowing up civilian ships as your distraction."
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Lazarian
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:21 pm

Kassaran wrote:The Dark Elemental let an eyebrow raise as the girl turned down his idea, his eyes sliding to regard Eric and Tristan. Both of them were likely to not try and kill him if he used his powers here, they'd known him when he'd first received this curse. Catrin was most definitely still present and liable to help defend him, but one misstep here would leave the big man in plate who now walked up in a position to strike him. He didn't much appreciate the thought of having any part of his flesh rent open, but the less danger he could put on the group later that night, the better. They were still rather secluded and Watchtower wasn't likely to carry out a raid at this point, not that there'd be any warning if they decided to do so. As he listened to their conversation carry on, he let himself think for a moment more before resolving to act on his own here. She wanted proof of his abilities, he'd give it to her.

The large man in plate armor didn't seem to be in the highest of health right now, and Erosen now realized as he still feigned energy and strength within his weakened frame, that now would be likely the only time he'd ever get away with this act. So he let his mouth begin muttering under his breath, a slight breeze blowing the errant lock of hair in front of his face to-and-fro as a deep, dark amethyst arc of mist and energy crackled between his fingertips and leaped across his clothes. His eyes flashed for a brief second as he gave the command word it's power, and shadow-stepped into the shadows he now stood in between the buildings. Feeling the ground beneath him give way as his cloak billowed up around him for a split second, he let the beyond pull him in.

The road, bricks, cobble and wood came suddenly rushing up to Erosen as he fell through the shadow beneath an overhanging balcony in the street, his form lithely landing before Gwen as she walked and standing up. He had no reason to care so much for this woman, but if keeping Catrin and her out of the hands of The Watchtower was the end result of his interference here in Carogne, he would risk dipping into his reserves in order to ensure that victory. What use was having the Dark Element if one could not find ways to use it for good?

Katya gasped as Erosen whispered under his breath, purple energy distorting his fingers from vision, and then stepped into the shadows in between buildings. His cloak flapped and his long hair flew in the wind - and then he was gone. It was like he had jumped into a pool of water and gone underwater - but there was no water to be found, just the solid cobblestone of the streets. Nearly instantly later, the man fell out of a balcony in the street, landing adeptly on his feet, dropping to a crouch. She stared, in shock.

"Incredible." she whispered, awestruck by his power. "I've never seen anything like it."

Gods, what she would do to obtain a magical power like that. To be anywhere in an instant. To hide in the shadows and strike from behind. This man could be a perfect spy, or an untouchable soldier. Erosen was truly blessed by whatever god had imbued him with such powers. A demon hunter, eh? She wondered where...or how...such a patronage could be acquired.

Alexei growled, hands flying to his halberd in an instant. Gods, if only he had been faster. Now, inhumans weren't bad luck. But this sorcery? He shuddered, feeling a chill run down his back. Now that, of all things, was a bad omen. He had seen powers like that before. Back during one of his campaigns with Nikolai. One of the other members of the council - Duke Temnota, if he remembered correctly - was a spellborn with such power. It was black magic, the kind of spellborn one became by selling your spirit to the Cold One - or something even darker and more ancient, a nameless god - at a crossroads of a haunted road at midnight. It was the kind of power that warped men into monsters. It was the kind of power that nobody was meant to handle. Temnota may have been an incredible warlord, sacking town after town, claiming more and more lands for the Garmiccian Empire - but it didn't matter. He was an accursed, wicked man. He followed the edicts and paid taxes well enough, but he brutally forced his underlings into the levies, taxed at unreasonable rates, and hung and decapitated for the slightest offenses. Every time Alexei stood in that man's presence, he felt his instincts screaming at him. There was nothing incredible about that power - just evil. Even worse, according to Nikolai, Temnota acquired more and more sway within the council every year. A man that could warp the honorable nation of Garmiccia into something as vile as the accursed Yelhenniens.

"No. Do not admire him. I should have killed him where he stood, Katya." he growled in his home language, looking down at his ward.

Kassaran wrote:He let his gaze switch from her, to Katya further down the alleyway and called out to the group," I think you're perhaps best off determining the plan once you know all of the pieces you have, rather than all of the pieces you can see? As your butler said, we all do this together, or we don't at all."

"You certainly have proved yourself, Master Erosen!" she exclaimed, calling out to him, heart racing in excitement. "I'm more than willing to reconsider my plan, because it seems I've been playing this game without a very important piece! Come back here, and let's talk."

Alexei shook his head. She had ignored him completely. Gods, she was more like her father than she was willing to admit. "Fifteen fucking years of service, and I get called a butler. This gets worse every day." he grumbled, still shaking his head in disapproval. He had disapproved enormously of her hiring of Aerion - it would have been better to bribe him and then let him go, not chain him to them. But no, he was "a useful tool". And now it seemed like she would attempt to make a ploy to gain yet another "useful tool". Eric seemed rather comfortable with the man, and he seemed to be connected to the divine in...some way or another...but even then, he was still enormously on edge about this fallen spellborn.
Last edited by Lazarian on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Constaniana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 10, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Constaniana » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:38 am

"Katya, this might come off as putting the cart before the horse, but how are we going to sail the Devil's Luck once we take her? I'm not doubting that you could push us out of the harbour with your magic, but what about after that, like the navigation and such?" LIsoette asked. The Daemonness felt very pleased about her proper usage of a genuine High Galllish idiom; what a long way she had come since her "smacking chat" with Aldraniri in the inferno where she had deserted the forces of Hell. She wondered where the Fire Elemental from Haventown was now. That bloody war had undoubtedly made it even more difficult for him to find Heilaga. But love finds a way, and she liked to think he had found her by now. Maybe on their northward trip the group would come to Haventown and find them both home, living happily ever after. Lisoette had never met Heilaga, but from the way Aldry had blushed and gushed about her she was sure they would be as happy as could be together, just like she and Tristan felt towards one another. Mrs. Frost smiled at her husband and squeezed his hand affectionately before speaking again.

"And what route would we sail to Auregen? Also, I say that once the ship is ours we rename her something nicer than Devil's Luck, like...Daffodil? Daffodils are nice."
Join Elementals 3, one of P2TM's oldest high fantasy roleplays, full of adventure, humour, and saving the world. Winner of the Best High Fantasy RP of P2TM twice in a row Choo Choo
Pro: Jesus Christ, Distributism, The Shire, House Atreides
Anti: The Antichrist, Communism, Mordor, House Harkonnen
Ameriganastan wrote:I work hard to think of those ludicrous Eric adventure stories, but I don't think I'd have come up with rescuing a three armed alchemist from goblin-monkeys in a million years.

Kudos.

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:13 am

Constaniana wrote:..."Katya, this might come off as putting the cart before the horse, but how are we going to sail the Devil's Luck once we take her? I'm not doubting that you could push us out of the harbour with your magic, but what about after that, like the navigation and such?"

"I think I can help with that."

The voice was flat, stern, calm, with a rural Albrish accent. From the shadows of the wharf, across the street from the group of adventurers, stepped an unobtrusive figure. It was a man wrapped in a grey traveling cloak; his close-cropped hair glinted dark grey, like polished iron, in the dim light. Beneath the cloak, a steel cuirass and buff leather coat suggested a military background, and one hand already held a heavy wheellock pistol, half-shrouded by the cloak. The man's gaze moved steadily from one figure to the next, resting for an extra moment on Tristan and Eric, and then on Catrin and Erosen - whom he had just seen disappear and reappear in a flicker of shadow.

After a moment, the stranger turned to Tristan and Eric. "The heroes of Fair Hills keep strange company these days," he remarked dryly. "Monsters, and - worse things." The man paused. "But the gods work in mysterious ways, and I am willing to put some faith in those whom they have called and sanctified." The stranger thrust his pistol back through the blue-green silk sash that he wore beneath his swordbelt - the only flash of color on his person. But his eyes remained steady on Erosen.

"Now: you are going to steal a ship from the Basilisk pirates." A swift, wry smile flickered across the solemn face. "Nine years ago, I sank one of their ships, when I was the gun-deck officer on an armed merchantman out of Andenhill. Stealing one seems like the natural next step." The man walked forward, until he faced Lisoette. His eyes were grey-green, and a shadow moved behind them as he studied her face. "And so you need a navigator," the stranger concluded. "And a pilot. And I can serve as both."

His hand fell to the hilt of his mortuary sword, and his heels clicked; not a threat, but a cavalryman's salute. "Everard Mallow, colonel, Driegden Regiment of Horse. And since the scripture says that a liar is a child of darkness, it is best that you know now: two hours ago I killed the chief of police in this city. I did not intend it, but I do not regret it, for he was a persecutor of the Church and of the gods' annointed." Mallow shrugged slightly. "But as you can imagine, I find myself as much in need of a way off this island as yourselves. I'd say that we are in a good position to help each other." The soldier cocked his head, and considered Lisoette and Katya, Eric and Tristan. "Wouldn't you?"
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:40 am

Gambling Establishment

“Hit me!” a blonde girl shouted competitively as she doubled down and the card vendor pulled out another card from the deck. A ten, exactly what she needed. “Blackjack!” she cried triumphantly, drinking down a shot of gin, and the disgruntled vendor gritted his teeth, sure that she was cheating, but having no way to prove it was the case. Normally he would have thrown her out like most successful players, but the last thing the business would have wanted was to be accused of mistreating an injured war veteran. “That makes how many times I've won now. Nine?”

“Ten.” the dealer corrected her, gritting his teeth even harder.

“Why not raise the stakes even higher and make it eleven.” the Visalmarcher said with a grin on her face. The vendor excused himself, and Flacht sat there, fiddling with the gin glass and demanding more. Behind her were three Watchtower agents, trying and failing to fit in with the customers at the gambling tables. “For total incompetents, they sure managed to find me pretty fast.” she said to herself, resting her head on the table before a kindly waitress came and informed her that the table had been closed. “Just my luck.”

As Flacht went out the door of the establishment, the agents followed after her. Too overtly eager, she thought to herself, taking a turn down the road and into the alleys. As she reached a dead end, she turned around to face the people following her. “Why don't you ever learn to call it quits.” her tone betrayed annoyance rather than worry, she'd done this for too long to be scared of these goons at this point.

“Silence Demonspawn!” one of the cultists shouted, pulling out a knife and rushing at her. Flacht grabbed his arm and twisted it around until the cultist, a young man of around 20, cried in pain.

“You know, that's really impolite.” Flacht said in a dangerously soft voice. “I actually used to know a Demonspawn, and I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate me being lumped with her.” a smirk formed on her face and she tossed him down, confiscating the knife. The cultist ran to his allies for defense. “We're going to set some ground rules, b******.” she declared, holding the knife. “While I'm in this city, you don't bother me. If you see me enter a building, you enter the opposite one. If you see me walking down the road in your direction, you jump in the nearest ditch. Otherwise, I'm going to have to get angry, and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.”
Tavern
Fumi sighed as she exited the tavern, both eager to never see the miserable place again and sad that she was now departing from the last place she had possessed companions. After a few hours, she had managed to sell most of her eloquent kimono and family heirlooms for a hefty sum. Not nearly as much as they were really worth, she lamented to herself, remembering the time that a nobleman had offered to buy much of her wardrobe for a price that made what she had now extremely paltry. Fumi had turned him down, believing she would not part with her treasured garments for her life, but now she wished that he possessed the clothes, and not the dealers she had pawned them to. At least he understood artistic taste.

The former shōgun slung her bow onto her back, her quiver having a few arrows in them. At least she still possessed her bow, as long as she had the strength of her own arm, she could overcome anything she had decided. Fumi walked up to the horse which she had bought with some of the money, a white mare which she had named Yukibana (Snowflake) on a whim. “Well girl,” she murmured, patting on the horse's flank and looking up at the stars. “Looks like there is nothing more here. For us at least.” she climbed up into the saddle, being careful to avoid anything which would disturb the mount. Fumi had ridden horses before, at times it had been necessary, but she had never been entirely comfortable while doing so.

She gave the steed a gentle kick with her heels and Yukibana started down the road heading outside of the city.
Theravada Buddhist

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Gwen was surprised and a little irritated when Ero-san suddenly appeared before her. The power of teleportation seemed intriguing at first, but after experiencing it for herself, it brought her nothing but disgust. Even just seeing the man of darkness perform it was enough to rile up feelings of anger, and when he told her didn't help matters. Apparently, the group had decided to stop and discuss their plan of grand larceny out in the open, literally in broad daylight. No doubt, this was yet another "brilliant" idea by the prissy little noble girl. She was certainly doomed to die young from her own stupidity, and Gwen would not mourn her at all.

Crossing her arms and giving Ero-san a frustrated glare, Gwen replied with a curt, "fine," and turned around. As she walked back to where the group had stopped, she continued her statement. "But I am not following any half-cocked, idiotic, amateur 'plan' thought up by that moron girl," she declared, staring directly at Katya as she did so.

Just then, a middle-aged man stepped out of the shadows of a nearby alley, indicating that he had overheard their plan to steal a ship. Gwen rolled her eyes and was about to blurt out that this was exactly why you don't discuss such things in public, but something stopped her. She took a closer look at the man, and she swore that she recognized him from somewhere, though she could not place his face. With Gwen's past, recognizing people was always bad, especially if she didn't know who they were. She stood silently trying to think about the man and trying to come up with ways to discretely find that information if she couldn't remember it, when it was all rendered moot. He outright introduced himself, and with his name, Gwen immediately knew who he was: he was a colonel from the northern army. She had never directly fought against him in the war, but she knew him by reputation.

This was bad. He didn't seem to be paying any attention to her, and she doubted he knew what she looked like, but there was no telling when he'd figure out who she was and attack her or turn her in. She wanted to run; every fiber in her body was telling her to run. But she couldn't. She knew that it would not only draw undue attention to herself, it would also jeopardize her best way off the island. But she still had to...wait, no. She was letting her paranoia get the better of her. He said that he had just killed the sheriff, and she was pretty sure that he had been living ad a renegade terrorist for the past several months since the end of the war. He was no longer part of the northern army, and he was certainly no friend of the Federation government. Still, she needed to be extra careful with him around.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Lazarian
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:"I think I can help with that."

After a moment, the stranger turned to Tristan and Eric. "The heroes of Fair Hills keep strange company these days," he remarked dryly. "Monsters, and - worse things." The man paused. "But the gods work in mysterious ways, and I am willing to put some faith in those whom they have called and sanctified." The stranger thrust his pistol back through the blue-green silk sash that he wore beneath his swordbelt - the only flash of color on his person. But his eyes remained steady on Erosen.

"Now: you are going to steal a ship from the Basilisk pirates." A swift, wry smile flickered across the solemn face. "Nine years ago, I sank one of their ships, when I was the gun-deck officer on an armed merchantman out of Andenhill. Stealing one seems like the natural next step." The man walked forward, until he faced Lisoette. His eyes were grey-green, and a shadow moved behind them as he studied her face. "And so you need a navigator," the stranger concluded. "And a pilot. And I can serve as both."

His hand fell to the hilt of his mortuary sword, and his heels clicked; not a threat, but a cavalryman's salute. "Everard Mallow, colonel, Driegden Regiment of Horse. And since the scripture says that a liar is a child of darkness, it is best that you know now: two hours ago I killed the chief of police in this city. I did not intend it, but I do not regret it, for he was a persecutor of the Church and of the gods' annointed." Mallow shrugged slightly. "But as you can imagine, I find myself as much in need of a way off this island as yourselves. I'd say that we are in a good position to help each other." The soldier cocked his head, and considered Lisoette and Katya, Eric and Tristan. "Wouldn't you?"

"I'd certainly say so, esteemed soldier! Perhaps our crossing was no mere chance. It's a great pleasure to meet you, Colonel Mallow. I'm Katya, and I'm currently on a divinely ordained mission to make peace between the Commonwealth of the North and Garmiccia." Katya said, her thick accent protruding through her voice, as she extended her hand outwards to the colonel. Another blessing from the gods, falling right into her lap. If it wasn't evident that her mission wasn't divinely ordained before, it sure was now. What were the odds that in her hour of need, Sir Lumen, Tristan, Aerion, and now Erosen and a navigator would fall into her lap, ready to help out with their mission? If the Wind Goddess wasn't trying to help her, than fate truly was an odd beast.

Erosen and the frumpy peasant woman had started to turn back to the group. Ugh. His insistence on bringing that ugly woman along was truly bizarre, seeing as she seemed to have no desire to keep following him in the slightest. Perhaps she was his girlfriend. That was the most reasonable explanation.

Olthar wrote: "But I am not following any half-cocked, idiotic, amateur 'plan' thought up by that moron girl," she declared, staring directly at Katya as she did so.

"Have some respect for your superiors, peasant." rumbled Alexei, looking at the woman with disdain. She may have been tall for a woman, but he wasn't worried. While he disagreed with the plan to steal the Devil's Luck, it was his mission as much as hers, and he had sworn fealty. Besides, with so many spellborn among their midst, the impossible could be done. He had seen them in action in before, and their magical abilities could defy the worst of odds.

"It's fine, Alexei!" said Katya cheerily, waving a hand. "I know a heretic when I see one. If you must, you can come along, dear, and then run along once we've reached the shore." she said, dismissing the woman. If she seriously took the time to argue, she'd be lowering herself to the station of a peasant, and that wouldn't do, would it?

"Besides," she continued, "I've chosen for Alexei to lead us in a plan. After all, I should 'defer to the judgment of people with experience', right? I assure you all, nobody here has more." she said, gesturing up at the giant veteran and his greying hair, who looked down at her, raising an eyebrow. "Ah, that was a wise move on her part." he thought, standing a little straighter. They needed to maintain order, and she didn't think she could do it.

"Alexei, introduce yourself to the colonel." she finished, smiling and bowing slightly to Mallow.

"Greetings, comrade." Alexei rumbled, bending down slightly to shake Mallow's hand as well. "I am Alexei Petrov, Commander of the Baron in the North's Second Brigade. Twenty years of loyal service to m'lord. I understand our nations were enemies during the war, but I've been retired from active duty for several years and I mean ye no ill will."

He looked over the group. It would be wise to establish control now, before they feuded further. Dissent among a group of soldiers was a quick means to an unpleasant end.

"As Erosen said," he said to the group, standing tall, as he glared daggers at the Darkness Elemental, "we all do this together, or we don't at all. I believe we should go our separate ways until nightfall, and then meet in private to discuss matters further. Top floor of tavern we were all at earlier, Room 3A. Be there when sun sets. Mallow, come with us. I'd like to talk to you separately. Erosen," he growled, hand gripping the hilt of his shortsword tightly, "I think it'd be wise for you to go your separate way. I'm not about to tolerate your kind more than I must."
Last edited by Lazarian on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Lazarian wrote:"I'd like to talk to you separately. Erosen," he growled, hand gripping the hilt of his shortsword tightly, "I think it'd be wise for you to go your separate way. I'm not about to tolerate your kind more than I must."

"Watch who you're threatening there, Sasquatch..."

Eric had been enjoying the absolute clusterfuck this plan was becoming. And the complete stranger who had shown up right when they needed him. But the second he saw Alexei grip his weapon, he snapped to attention.

"I won't let a bunch of strangers badmouth an old pal of mine, let alone a guy who we're supposed to be putting our trust in. Now take you hand off that weapon before I take said hand and keep it in a jar."

He gripped his own weapon to drive home that he wasn't messing around.

"I pride myself on being a quick draw by the way. Think you could get your weapon out before mine? Cause that's a question a lot of guys have found out the answer to. And it's always no..."
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Lazarian
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Lazarian wrote:"I'd like to talk to you separately. Erosen," he growled, hand gripping the hilt of his shortsword tightly, "I think it'd be wise for you to go your separate way. I'm not about to tolerate your kind more than I must."

"Watch who you're threatening there, Sasquatch..."

Eric had been enjoying the absolute clusterfuck this plan was becoming. And the complete stranger who had shown up right when they needed him. But the second he saw Alexei grip his weapon, he snapped to attention.

"I won't let a bunch of strangers badmouth an old pal of mine, let alone a guy who we're supposed to be putting our trust in. Now take you hand off that weapon before I take said hand and keep it in a jar."

He gripped his own weapon to drive home that he wasn't messing around.

"I pride myself on being a quick draw by the way. Think you could get your weapon out before mine? Cause that's a question a lot of guys have found out the answer to. And it's always no..."

"My apologies, Eric." Alexei said softly, removing his hand from the shortsword as quickly as he had placed it there in the first place. He wasn't about to test out who was faster. He was getting older, and Eric was much more elderly than him and didn't seem to be slowing down at all. "But I've only seen powers such as those once before, and the man who possessed them is wicked beyond comparison."

He sighed. It was unfair to judge this man based off those prejudices. After all, Tristan was a spellborn of ice, and he seemed kind enough for the most part. Not all spellborn were akin to their element - although many were. For example, he didn't trust Aerion for a moment. That man was clearly only in it for the money, and from what he had heard from Ivan and Timur, he was a dangerous, coldhearted man. Perhaps Erosen wasn't necessarily like Temnota, despite their shared powers.

"If you trust him, I'll place my trust in him as well." he said, crossing his arms. "And, actually, I think he's very important to the plan I've been thinking. Erosen, that trick with portal - how far can you go, and can other people go through it? Is important detail to know."

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:39 pm

As Erosen walked back over towards the group, his eyes watched the giant of woman before him approach the group, he wasn't certain that had been about to work, but she seemed to be willing to try and make a bridge here. Katya did not seem to wish as much though, his face dropping into a slight frown as his eyes then moved back towards the large man she'd talked to earlier. His name seemed to be Alexei, and his he'd been the one Erosen counted on to try and strike him where he stood first. Even as he stood eyeing Erosen, there was no ease that came with his stance as a new man introduced himself to the group. Both newcomers in fact actually seemed to be watching his actions closely, intently. He wasn't too worried, well, at least when it came to the halberd-wielding butler of Katya. This new man, his presence was imposing and it was immediately apparent to Erosen that if he'd set his mind to it, there was little way for Erosen to beat him in a fair fight. The hair on the back of his neck stood on end as he kept his smile barely upon his face. No use to show fear here, he'd simply make things far worse for himself and regardless, Katya seemed to not mind as much.

Even better, Eric seemed to have vouched for him, his hand on his sword quickly being pulled to the defense of the Darkling. An air of tension remained still, and Erosen decided it would be best to hold for a second as the Garimiccian bodyguard spoke to him. Questions, about his capabilities, about his specialties. His eyes darting from one member of the crowd to another, he shrugged deciding to play it safe for now, given he'd risked much already in simply revealing the nature of the magics which he had been 'gifted' when he'd fallen from Veridaelia's graces three years prior. His face was dark and distant for a moment as he reflected on the revelation that there was such a power Dark Elemental in Garimiccian lands though, a man who no doubt had abused his powers to reach the cutting edge of the law for that land. Such unbridled power, such reckless abandon, granted so freely to fuel the strength and the wishes of the man. A tug at his heart, a curl of the index finger as the calling of Tenaembra seemed to come from the inky black cloud in the back of his thoughts. The feeling of hands lightly settling upon his shoulders pulling his mind more distant as sweet whispers gave teases of the might he could possess by embracing the Dark.

It could be yours, you could be as powerful as him. Think, he certainly has dominion over his power as you could if you only embraced the father. Come to me child, heed me, I've waited so long for you...

In a flash his mind was back in the alleyway, the featureless landscape of that place in his mind, subsiding into nothingness as he blinked and looked up towards the man. He'd only thought for a moment, entertained the temptations for a second, but it was a second that seemed to have stretched on for an eternity. The void called to him from every corner of his vision and every errant and absent-minded thought he afforded. As he fell asleep, the terror of the world beyond gripped at the edges of his heart and the heat and death he'd known in it for his stay there, while he forced himself to run through a series of thoughts and small rituals daily to waste away the time which he would idly spend playing to Tenaembra's wills and wishes. Busyness kept the demons at bay for Erosen, and the little things around himself which he focused on to keep himself grounded were constant. Still though, that the simple mention of another user had sent him so deep had startled him and his eyes betrayed a small hint of that worry as he looked towards Alexei.

"I can go as far as I need to, and with it I travel to most places in search of my quarry. While I usually must visit such a place first, there's ways to avoid that if I can simply know the general features or place in the target area. Seeing that vessel was enough for me per se, but I'm afraid that if we were to try and use it, those not born with, or given the gift of the gods, would most certainly suffer great harm. She," his head turned towards the amazonian next to him," managed to recover about as quickly as I expected from most born Elementals, but even that has likely had an effect on her she would not soon appreciate to replicate. As for how many I can move, it depends on how long and how far and how much is included with that number. To take one person with me, with nothing but the clothes on their back is far easier than for me to move carrying myself and a heap of corpses."

As he cut short his explanation, he shifted his gaze fully onto Alexei, his voice shifting to something far more crude than used in the traditional Garimiccian houses, the language hailing from far in the north where the man had once hailed from," however, I do not believe you entirely trust me, for that I will entertain your company alone if you decide you must test my intentions further. I have no quarrel with you or your mistress and such distrust quickly breeds fear, which I have learned brings things far darker than myself around."

His voice dropped back into proper Gallian, his face becoming friendly as he turned towards Eric, reaching a hand up to place on the old man's shoulder," As for the drink you brought with you, I'll be happy to entertain a shot of it with you in celebration when this is all over. Deal?"

bloody hell, mate.

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 pm

When Katya introduced herself, a swift succession of emotions flickered across Everard Mallow's face: recognition, at her Garmiccian accent; a kind of amused respect, at the young woman's confidence; and then awestruck reappraisal, when she mentioned her divinely ordained mission. Then Ev's face turned abruptly closed as his self-control reasserted itself. He took Katya's hand carefully in his own. "Divinely ordained," he repeated in careful Garmiccian. "Aye, but by whose gods, I wonder?" The colonel nodded. "Still. I am glad to meet you, Katya."

Meanwhile, Gwen stormed back alongside Erosen, glaring at Katya. "I am not following any half-cocked, idiotic, amateur 'plan' thought up by that moron girl," she snapped. And then she stopped, and stared straight at Ev. The Northeman met Gwen's gaze, and his grey-green eyes gave nothing away as they noted the sudden tension in her muscles. But his hand moved a little closer to the pistol thrust through his sash - especially when his attention shifted to Erosen, and the sudden, faraway look in the man's eyes.

Katya announced that she had chosen Alexei to lead them in the heist, and the towering man stooped to shake Ev's hand. The colonel seemed wholly unfazed by Alexei's size. He gave the big man's hand a peremptory squeeze, and replied: "I was with the Prince's Own Liberators in Kriegshold; I never fought in the far north. I have no quarrel with your folk, commander."

Then Alexei attempted to assert command of the group. He asked Ev to accompany him, and the Northeman nodded in a way that suggested less assent and more a willingness to take the big man's words under advisement. But when Alexei told Erosen to find his own road, Eric Lumen interrupted. "I won't let a bunch of strangers badmouth an old pal of mine, let alone a guy who we're supposed to be putting our trust in. Now take you hand off that weapon before I take said hand and keep it in a jar." He laid his hand on his weapon. "I pride myself on being a quick draw by the way. Think you could get your weapon out before mine? Cause that's a question a lot of guys have found out the answer to. And it's always no..."

Ev Mallow moved his hand. That was all it looked like; it was over too quickly to be a draw. A superstitious onlooker might note that Ev's fingers hardly even seemed to reach his weapon, much less to cock it. And yet one moment his pistol rested uncocked in his sash, and the next it was in his hand with the doglock back - as if some unseen force had pulled it forth and readied it, almost faster than the human eye could follow.

Alexei apologized, and asked Erosen about the extent of his abilities. Ev showed no such contrition. His gaze moved from Erosen to Alexei before settling on Eric. "Your old pal draws his power from the Lord of Darkness," the colonel said flatly. "No poisoned tree brings forth good fruit. Because you are among the gods' anointed, I will defer to your judgment in refraining from killing him. But I will speak the truth as I see it. The man is in covenant with Hell. If you don't like it, you can find someone else to sail your ship."

With that, Ev replaced his pistol at his side. Erosen answered Alexei's question, and then shifted into a dialect of Garmiccian; Ev's surprised blink and then furrowed brow of focus suggested that he could understand at least some of what was said.

After a moment, the Northeman glanced around, and spoke again in Gallish. "I take it, then, that we are all agreed on not killing each other. For now, at least - and no matter who may deserve it." The colonel nodded curtly. "That's progress. Now: we should get out of the open. Bad form to plan an operation standing around on a wharf." Ev cast a wary glance around, taking in windows and rooftops as well as passersby. "If there's coordination to do, let's do it where there are four walls between us and prying ears." The soldier glanced at Alexei. "That room at the tavern sounds like a good start."
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Lazarian
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Kassaran wrote:"I can go as far as I need to, and with it I travel to most places in search of my quarry. While I usually must visit such a place first, there's ways to avoid that if I can simply know the general features or place in the target area. Seeing that vessel was enough for me per se, but I'm afraid that if we were to try and use it, those not born with, or given the gift of the gods, would most certainly suffer great harm. She," his head turned towards the amazonian next to him," managed to recover about as quickly as I expected from most born Elementals, but even that has likely had an effect on her she would not soon appreciate to replicate. As for how many I can move, it depends on how long and how far and how much is included with that number. To take one person with me, with nothing but the clothes on their back is far easier than for me to move carrying myself and a heap of corpses."

"Damn." muttered Alexei, sighing internally. "I hoped you'd be able to just open one of those portals and we'd be able to move directly from a safe place onto ship. I suppose that would be too simple for it to work. That being said, those alarm bells may not be as much of a problem as they seem, knowing your powers. Thank you for explanation."

He relaxed slightly, after hearing the explanation. At least Erosen seemed honest and forthcoming with his answer, and he was willing to help out. Alexei still didn't necessarily trust him - no man received those powers through birth alone. There were clearly secrets in his past, and the man was still eerie, with his purple eyes, black cloak, and soothing voice - but at least he seemed more human than not.
Kassaran wrote:As he cut short his explanation, he shifted his gaze fully onto Alexei, his voice shifting to something far more crude than used in the traditional Garimiccian houses, the language hailing from far in the north where the man had once hailed from," however, I do not believe you entirely trust me, for that I will entertain your company alone if you decide you must test my intentions further. I have no quarrel with you or your mistress and such distrust quickly breeds fear, which I have learned brings things far darker than myself around."

Alexei took a step back in surprise, eyebrows raised. The man had spoken in his true language. Not traditional Garmiccian, or even Gallian - he had spoken the language of the Northmen. It brought memories of Kronstadt, his home, rushing back to him in a wave of nostalgia. It had been quite a while since he had heard such a language. Since he had departed his liege's lands, such a familiar tongue had been unheard.

"You're correct, Erosen. I don't entirely trust you. The only other man I've seen with those powers is a scourge which darkens our noble homeland by the day. There are unnamed and unspoken gods, which we mere mortals fear and do not worship, in prayer that they do not acknowledge us. The gods of death, illness, and pestilence. The gods of blood-soaked battlefields, the gods of living corpses rising from the frost, and the malevolent spirits our ancestors so greatly dreaded - and I know enough to know that your powers are rooted in these ancient horrors. But, that being said, you seem honest and decent enough, despite all these things. Come with me to the room and have a hearty glass of ale around a roaring fire, eh? Any man that speaks the tongue of my beloved home is worth getting to know a little better, after all." he said, resorting to the gruff, broken language of the hills. He still didn't completely trust the man, but his offer had seemed honest enough, and by the gods, it had been such a long time since he had heard the sound of the voices of his homeland.

Reverend Norv wrote:After a moment, the Northeman glanced around, and spoke again in Gallish. "I take it, then, that we are all agreed on not killing each other. For now, at least - and no matter who may deserve it." The colonel nodded curtly. "That's progress. Now: we should get out of the open. Bad form to plan an operation standing around on a wharf." Ev cast a wary glance around, taking in windows and rooftops as well as passersby. "If there's coordination to do, let's do it where there are four walls between us and prying ears." The soldier glanced at Alexei. "That room at the tavern sounds like a good start."

"Aye." chimed in Alexei, hefting the poleaxe over his shoulder. "I'm with Everard of House Mallow on that suggestion. There aren't many folk around at the moment in this area of the city, but ears of the enemy could be anywhere. Watchtower, pirates, or the authorities. Best to be off, yes?"

He liked the colonel, for the brief bits of knowledge he knew about him. The man certainly seemed as battle-hardened and competent as any commander Alexei had ever had the fortune of working with, although he wasn't as pompous and stuck up as many nobles tended to be. Although, Alexei actually couldn't tell if this man was a spellborn or not. Spellborn often flaunted their power, and Everard certainly had seemed a normal soldier through and through. But the man did have the same iron hair as Nikolai - near the exact shade, in fact. And while Alexei hadn't dared to contest Eric in a draw of weapons, he had seen the quickest flash of a draw from Everard, and noticed the pistol being quietly put back afterwards. Ah, t'was no matter. He'd find out these things in due time.

All of a sudden, his knees trembled slightly, and he saw black spots forming in his vision. Clutching his halberd, he pushed it firmly into the ground, using it as a staff to steady himself. He was rather faint from the loss of blood earlier, apparently. Gods, he hoped none of the others had noticed. They needed to get to the Commonwealth desperately, but it seemed as if many of the new arrivals weren't nearly as interested in going. They just wanted to get out of here. If he was able to unite the whole crew on a mission, and create some sort of chain of command, they'd likely be able to maintain order until they got where they needed.

His mind churned, attempting to analyze the situation. Everard struck him as a religious man, likely willing to come along on their quest. Eric was just an adventurer along for the ride, as were Tristan and Lisoette. Aerion was neutralized by coin for now, and would likely fall in line with the promise of more. Erosen seemed accommodating enough, but the man was still, as Everard had said, "in covenant with hell". As for the drider, she was an unpredictable beast. Likely wanted to leave due to the city's rapidly souring attitude towards inhumans. He couldn't tell her motivations, exactly, other than that she was ready and willing to fight. But the enormous peasant woman clearly had something against Katya - or nobles in general, more likely. Plenty of folks hated 'em - and for good reason, oftentimes. Well, going through it piece by piece, it seemed like they had a clear enough support on stealing the ship, and a decent majority on sailing to the Commonwealth. He sighed slightly in relief. Gods, he needed to get some rest. His body still ached and burned in agony from the battle he had nearly won, and the cauterized wound on his side stung every time he moved. He should have been laying in bed, recovering, not attempting to herd a bunch of godlings. And he hadn't even begun to think about Lady Fumiko yet. What a day it had been.
Last edited by Lazarian on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Aerion scoffed at the gunslinger who strutted up to them waved around his little pistols and bragged about being a part of some random cavalry brigade nobody had heard of. He probably got drafted in the last month of the war, rode up to the capital and got told he was too late and to go home. Any military man would tell him that guns were a passing fad with no use in combat. They took too long to load, were underpowered, hard to use and barely worked if things got wet. The man probably went to the inn in his local shithole of a town and ran up to every woman telling them of how he was part of major dumbfuck's cavalry, showing them his guns and shouting pew pew as he told them of how many baddies he chased off to cheers.

He was about to laugh but a dull wet sucking noise rattled around through Aerion's head as he attempted it, he could feel it, he could feel what he felt all those years ago at Champion's field, that feeling of the claw slithering up his spine, plucking at his heart, the crimson tearing that was happening within his brain, he could feel the darkness seeping into him, it was sucking his power away, it was coiling itself around his brain, around his heart, prodding and poking at every potential opening it could find in a quest to corrupt him. He wasn't special to it, it was simply the nature of darkness but it was a horrible feeling, every muscle began straining, fighting against the corruption, he could feel everything tensing and was unable to relax, unable to stop, it felt like he was suffocating.

The man was blabbering about how he hunted daemons, about how he was on their side but Aerion knew the truth.

He stepped forward and drew his sword, the screeching of steel against scabbard helping his mind a little.

"Your new friend is right," he said, glancing at the pistolier who was trying to show off some flashy no-hands draw while everyone was about to die "Every day this scum doesn't feast of pain or corruption is a day spent in agony. It simply cannot live among us in peace, it must be destroyed immediately." His eyes were like two of Ev's bullets and were completely transfixed on the servant of darkness. He may have looked different from the things at Champions Field but his heart and mind was exactly the same, and he had seen what they could do.

His blue cloak was fluttering in the wind. He was going to save them all.
Last edited by Woodstovia on Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Woodstovia wrote:The man was blabbering about how he hunted daemons, about how he was on their side but Aerion knew the truth.

He stepped forward and drew his sword, the screeching of steel against scabbard helping his mind a little.

"Your new friend is right," he said, glancing at the pistolier who was trying to show off some flashy no-hands draw while everyone was about to die "Every day this scum doesn't feast of pain or corruption is a day spent in agony. It simply cannot live among us in peace, it must be destroyed immediately." His eyes were like two of Ev's bullets and were completely transfixed on the servant of darkness. He may have looked different from the things at Champions Field but his heart and mind was exactly the same, and he had seen what they could do.

His blue cloak was fluttering in the wind. He was going to save them all.

Slowly, as if she was just toying with it, Catrin moved her falchion to push Aerion's sword until its point touched the ground. She didn't even look at him, not that she needed to, the thing was as flashy as the rest of golden boy's equipment - and as flashy and pretty as Erosen's usual stuff wasn't.

"I'd rethink that move, friend. I've seen 'this scum' fight more demons than you have hairs on your head, and judging by your luxurious mane that's quite the number. And judging by the reactions of some of the others here, I get the smallest feeling they'd side with me if you were to attack him. You know, like an idiot who attacks Elementals who actually use their abilities with some modicum of control."
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:48 pm

“Eric?” an incredulous voice called out. “Eric!”

An excited Flacht ran to the group when she caught sight of someone who she never thought that she would see again. For a second she worried that the party would not recognize her, considering her hair was now bleached white, and she was wearing a Gallian military uniform with all of the medals on full display. “I never thought I would see you ever again, you old goat.” she laughed, then she noticed Tristan and Lisoette. The girl rushed to hug the both of them enthusiastically. “I looked for you three for almost an entire year. Nothing turned up though.” suddenly her eyes flashed. “Where's Trish? If you three are here together, that must mean she's here too, right?” she noticed Erosen, but didn't seem to remember much about him that was warm. There were others as well who she didn't know, complete strangers.

“Well.” she coughed, regaining her composure, suspicious of the outsiders. It was an old trait from her homeland, one that she had still internalized despite the years in the service. “I'm sure she's around here somewhere.”
Theravada Buddhist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse